PDA

View Full Version : Our Slot Receivers Probably Haven't the Credit They Deserve

CloakNNNdagger
05-23-2010, 10:10 AM
It wasn't until I caught this piece (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/05/santonio-holmes-ready-to-becom.html) that I really thought about how much "extra" demand is placed on our slot recievers..........and how well they have served our system, yet somewhat not fully appreciated.

Before Santonio Holmes diversifies his portfolio in the coming weeks, he’s keeping things relatively simple as he transitions to his team. That’s why the Jets talented wide receiver spent the better part of the first week of OTAs working in familiar territory as the split end -- or “X” receiver (lined up wide on the line of scrimmage on the weak side) -- in 11-on-11 team drills.

It makes sense.

As offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer told me, “The easiest position in football to learn is the ‘X’… There’s not as much to think about.”

Although Holmes thrived in Pittsburgh as the “X” receiver, Schottenheimer has already started teaching him some of the finer points of playing the flanker, or “Z” receiver (lined up off the line of scrimmage wide on the tight end/strong side), and in the slot as the “Y” receiver.

Schottenheimer pulled Holmes aside during Thursday’s OTA session to give him a tutorial on playing the “Y” receiver, a position that requires a better grasp of the full playbook.

“The guy in the slot is the guy that moves a lot,” Schottenheimer told me. “He’s all over the place. So Jerricho (Cotchery) can obviously handle that, because he’s been here. We’re trying to make it real basic for (Holmes) right now.”

Brisco_County
05-23-2010, 02:29 PM
I can't believe the talent that the Jets have accumulated. I hate the Jets.

Lucky
05-23-2010, 03:02 PM
I can't believe the talent that the Jets have accumulated. I hate the Jets.
Well, they've also accumulated some head cases along the way. Let's see how Ryan manages them before anointing the Jets the Next Big Thing.

I'll still take the Pats to win the AFC East.

ChampionTexan
05-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Well, they've also accumulated some head cases along the way. Let's see how Ryan manages them before anointing the Jets the Next Big Thing.

Agreed on the head cases (like there's any room to dispute that comment). I think it will be a boom or bust deal for the Jets - they either win the division (perhaps even easily), or miss the playoffs entirely.

Additionally, it will be interesting to see how this plays out longer term (if it's given a chance to). The knucklehead factor may not ever come into play, or it may be cancelled out by the maturing of Sanchez, and the chemistry that has to be better in year two than year one, and year three than year two etc.

Still, my guess is the Jets, as they're going to exist in 2010, are not a perennial powerhouse in the making - regardless of next season results.

V3rm0nt3r
05-23-2010, 09:52 PM

I'm not. Take it with a grain of salt as I hate the Pats more than any team in football but they are contaminating my TV and I watch in the off chance that I see Brady's head ripped off (I missed Pollard's hit on him and was extremely disappointed) and from what I've seen the teams in the East have figured them out. Even Buffalo seems to play them down to the wire. This year will be the equivalent of Pittsburgh's 09 season for New England. You heard it here first.

JB
05-23-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm not. Take it with a grain of salt as I hate the Pats more than any team in football but they are contaminating my TV and I watch in the off chance that I see Brady's head ripped off (I missed Pollard's hit on him and was extremely disappointed) and from what I've seen the teams in the East have figured them out. Even Buffalo seems to play them down to the wire. This year will be the equivalent of Pittsburgh's 09 season for New England. You heard it here first.

I think you may be on to something. Miami and NYJ will give the Pats fits, WW is going to be slowed by his knee, Moss is getting a little long in the tooth, and Brady will have happy feet.

Their defense should be strong though it still has some holes. I think they will be in the hunt and probably finish about 9-7

Grforces
05-23-2010, 10:19 PM
i disagree, pats will go 8-8. They have failed to keep alot of thier main guys. Coaching is great, But for the next few years i put them out of the hunt. Im gonna say it right here, i think brady is over rated, he just has an awesome offensive line.

In terms of the slot recievers, i love it when we put aj lined up in slot, im also drooling about the speed we could have if JJ keeps it up and holliday turns into a reputable reciever not just a KR. I know he's short, but all that speed would even give the jets a run for thier money. Just can't help but thinking it comes down to the offensive line line this year wheather or not we can go deep into the playoffs.

ObsiWan
05-24-2010, 12:02 AM

Maybe....
Age is catching up with them... Moss is 33, Welker is 29 and coming off injury, Torry Holt is 33, Brady is 32 (okay, that's not bad for a QB), Fred Taylor is 34, Alge Crumpler is 32... the list goes on.

And their defense doesn't scare anyone any more.

I will concede that Brady + Belichick is probably > Sanchez + Ryan or Sparano + Chad (either one of them)

Yeah, the Pats maaaybe the early AFC-E favorites but not by much and not for much longer.

thunderkyss
05-24-2010, 07:39 AM

I remember Miami was being touted as the next big thing the year before the bottom fell out.

Never know what's going to happen in the NFL. Every year, a new drama unfolds.

Rey
05-24-2010, 04:19 PM
I like the Jets, but I'm not really sold on Sanchez taking the next step.

Goldensilence
05-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Good post CnD. I agree and it's funny that of the moves we've made this off season not many people have put a bigger check mark on getting Kevin Walter resigned.

I really think given more time on the market his value would've ballooned. We were lucky to sign him quickly as we did. Also it's going to be an interesting camp for Andre Davis.

Far as the AFC East goes. It's going to be one of the more compelling Divisions in football this coming year IMO. It's goes like this NFC East, AFC East and the AFC South.

No coach gets more out of his players than Bill does. As the season approaches he's got to be loving hearing things posted like Randy Moss' age, Wes Welker's Knees and the state of Tom Brady. He's so good motivating his players that he's got to be like this is a gimee to post this stuff in the locker room.

I like what the Jets have done last year and this offseason. Sure they've added Cromartie but, as a back up they got to draft Kyle Wilson in case he can't get his head on straight. One thing I'd point out is Cromartie's best season was in 2007 when he was under defensive coordinator... Wade Phillips. Another 3-4 guru who plays more man up at DB than zone like he ended playing in SD.

I'd also like to point out while they have accumulated some head cases they've also brought in Ladanian Tomlinson. There's not many more guys around the league IMO that can command the kind of respect and have the presence he does in a locker room. I think that helps them immensely. I'd also like to say I think he's going to have a pretty good season behind that OL there and has a lot more left in the tank them some people think. It's going to help Sanchez a ton to have a running game that consists of LT and Shonn Greene.

Miami added Marshall and it seems like they have a gamer QB in Chad Henne. It's also going to be huge to get Brown back healthy. They also added some size to their DL with their first two picks of the draft. I think they're going to be an interesting team.

In the end I think it's going to be a fun battle to watch.

Rey
05-24-2010, 04:38 PM
I wish we could trade Andre Davis for something

IBleedTexans
05-24-2010, 05:24 PM
I wish we could trade Andre Davis for something

If we throw him to al Davis he might......... O never mind even he won't give us n e thing for Davis :slapfight: