PDA

View Full Version : Foster our starting RB?

redwhiteANDblue
05-21-2010, 09:12 AM
"I've been impressed with Foster," Kubiak said. "(He) went from first year to second year a big jump, just (from) watching him practice. Steve is sitting here lining up as a two and he started 15 games two years ago. Hasn't said a word, just working, and that's been very impressive.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6174

I'm not only saying this becuase Kubaik is praising him. I've been watching the last two games and Foster has been running with a high motor. He's moving piles when he needs to, and puts on a move in the open field. He's got potential to be our starter.
Now it's up to Tate and see how he does but I really think Foster will be our main RB and Tate will be put in for the short yard situations

GuerillaBlack
05-21-2010, 09:14 AM
I say its only because Slaton and Tate are injured. I think Tate would be getting the first team reps if he was completely healthy. Slaton is being reduced to being what he was drafted for.

HOU-TEX
05-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Well, look at it this way. If Slaton rebounds, Foster continues to roll like he finished the season and JJ or Moats step up, our weakest position might eventually become pretty strong. Hopefully Tate will get some action next week and he's able to show what he's got.

In the end, I can't wait until camp and pre-season where the pads are strapped up and the hittin begins. We'll get a better look at the RB corps.

2slik4u
05-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Wow, to go from a two headed monster with Slaton and Tate to a three headed monster???

Dios Mio....

:spin:

Grid
05-21-2010, 09:48 AM
I dont want to rain on anyone's parade but dont we always have a conversation about one of our "no-name" running backs in the offseason who is getting praised...

and we always talk about how this guy might be "THE" guy and we all get all stirred up and excited and then... well you know...week 1 comes around and...

well I dont want to jinx anything. He could be THE guy. I know I was really impressed with Foster and Moats last season... at this point im just happy that we have RBs worth getting excited about.

2slik4u
05-21-2010, 09:52 AM
I dont want to rain on anyone's parade but dont we always have a conversation about one of our "no-name" running backs in the offseason who is getting praised...
and we always talk about how this guy might be "THE" guy and we all get all stirred up and excited and then... well you know...week 1 comes around and...

well I dont want to jinx anything. He could be THE guy. I know I was really impressed with Foster and Moats last season... at this point im just happy that we have RBs worth getting excited about.

^^^^^^^^

Captain Bringdown and the Buzzkill Posse

HOU-TEX
05-21-2010, 10:01 AM

And who are we speaking of that might be a "no-name" this season?

I'd agree with your statement following a few seasons. I admit, I was high on Chris Taylor one off-season. That didn't last long. Ha

We've got a 2nd round rookie from the SEC who I think could be just as good, if not better than those drafted in front of him. We've got Foster, another RB out of the SEC. IMO, the only thing that kept him off the field most of last season was his poor practice habits. We've got Slaton, a guy who's proven he can do it on the field. I beleive he'll now be used at what he was initially drafted for, a 3rd down back.

We've got Moats, then a bunch of guys fighting for a spot.

GuerillaBlack
05-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Not to mention most of those "no-name" backs didn't even play in the NFL yet. At least Foster has played in a couple of games.

Runner
05-21-2010, 10:20 AM

Yes. Especially when based on coach-speak.

infantrycak
05-21-2010, 10:27 AM
One of, how about one - Chris Taylor. A guy who might have had the talent to make it but nobody knows because of injury.

ArlingtonTexan
05-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Let's say this is not just the normal OTA I have to say somethng nice about him thing, do we think that the competition is really best man carries the ball or is Tate the lead guy no matter what?

Kaiser Toro
05-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Let's say this is not just the normal OTA I have to say somethng nice about him thing, do we think that the competition is really best man carries the ball or is Tate the lead guy no matter what?

I do think it will be based on merit. Executing a meritocracy is one of the characteristics I like about Kubiak.

El Tejano
05-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Unlike the previous guy, Chris Taylor who only did well in like the last game of the season, I like the fact that Foster at least showed 3 games worth of production facing two very good defenses that still had something on the line in Miami and New England.

Is the Jury still out on him, sure! However you can't discard him because he's shown he can play in this league.

Hardcore Texan
05-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Based on how Foster played late in the season last year, based on what we project Tate to do (and with good reason), and based on what we know Slaton is capable of doing I think we have a lot to be excited about.

Agree that we are always looking for that RB this time a year and some of us (like myself) can get excited at the prospect of finally plugging the hole only to be disappointed. But......we drafted a bruiser with speed and power in the early rounds that projects very well in the ZBS and coming off of a very productive college career. Slaton will finally not have to carry the load and that should keep him fresh and we should see the explosivness that comes with that and as mentioned will be used for the intent he was chosen. And Foster should be able to at least be a role player based on what we saw late last year, getting first team reps should help him get ready for the season.

I see Moats hanging on to the very last spot and maybe not even dressing on gameday.

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 11:13 AM
"I've been impressed with Foster," Kubiak said. "(He) went from first year to second year a big jump, just (from) watching him practice. Steve is sitting here lining up as a two and he started 15 games two years ago. Hasn't said a word, just working, and that's been very impressive.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6174

I'm not only saying this becuase Kubaik is praising him. I've been watching the last two games and Foster has been running with a high motor. He's moving piles when he needs to, and puts on a move in the open field. He's got potential to be our starter.
Now it's up to Tate and see how he does but I really think Foster will be our main RB and Tate will be put in for the short yard situations

If Foster is the starter, the Texans are...

http://myword.info/images/sm_screw_1g.gifED

GuerillaBlack
05-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Based on how Foster played late in the season last year, based on what we project Tate to do (and with good reason), and based on what we know Slaton is capable of doing I think we have a lot to be excited about.

Agree that we are always looking for that RB this time a year and some of us (like myself) can get excited at the prospect of finally plugging the hole only to be disappointed. But......we drafted a bruiser with speed and power in the early rounds that projects very well in the ZBS and coming off of a very productive college career. Slaton will finally not have to carry the load and that should keep him fresh and we should see the explosivness that comes with that and as mentioned will be used for the intent he was chosen. And Foster should be able to at least be a role player based on what we saw late last year, getting first team reps should help him get ready for the season.

I see Moats hanging on to the very last spot and maybe not even dressing on gameday.

Maybe Moats can be traded for something. I doubt his trade value is very high though. He'll probably stick with the team in case of an injury during the season.

b0ng
05-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Hell I called Foster to the Texans (In the 4th though ahahaha) last year before the draft and was pleasantly surprised he was with us as a UDFA. However, if Foster is our starter then that means that both Slaton and Tate have probably failed magnificently during the pre-season.

I think Foster is a very good guy to have waiting on the bench for when Kubiak gets mad at his back and has him ride the pine for one reason or another.

Section516
05-21-2010, 11:35 AM
If Foster is the starter, the Texans are...

http://myword.info/images/sm_screw_1g.gifED

Think so?

15 @STL W 16-13 2 7 3.5 6 0 1 13 13.0 13 0 1 1
16 @MIA W 27-20 19 97 5.1 17 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
17 NE W 34-27 20 119 6.0 24 2 3 26 8.7 10 0 0 0

a 5.1 YPC against Miami, a 6.0 YPC against NE...

Id take it, bro.

Hardcore Texan
05-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Maybe Moats can be traded for something. I doubt his trade value is very high though. He'll probably stick with the team in case of an injury during the season.

Well, if my assumptions turned out to be accurate, we still need Moats. Just one injury away from him being needed.

eriadoc
05-21-2010, 11:51 AM

I'm still waiting for Morency to break out.

:D

infantrycak
05-21-2010, 11:53 AM

I don't think there is anything guaranteeing Tate the starting gig. Slaton proved his chops as a rookie. Foster flashed but is a way long shot IMO. Slaton and Tate is going to be an interesting competition. Kubiak likes to ride the hot hand. We may see some back and forth thru the season.

Hardcore Texan
05-21-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm still waiting for Morency to break out.

:D

My money is Wali Lundy or Samkon Gado.

HOU-TEX
05-21-2010, 12:00 PM
My money is Wali Lundy or Samkon Gado.

Nah, Jonathan Wells has got it wrapped up

b0ng
05-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Nah, Jonathan Wells has got it wrapped up

I hear Tony Hollings is working on his weight so he can be speedier.

TheRealJoker
05-21-2010, 12:09 PM
This year is our first year to potentially get to do what Kubiak has always wante... run the ball down our opponent's throat.

Slaton did well his rookie year but he was by himself. Now we have 3 guys who can potentially be quality backs. Including Slaton in his more natural pass-catching RB role that should prolong his career. If we use Slaton like we used him against the Bengals last season then he will be a very potent weapon.

If Tate and Foster can get the tough yards and tire defenses out then our play action pass is gonna hit another level. With Cushing missing 4 games we need a strong running game to make up for losing him.

Fox
05-21-2010, 12:16 PM
I hear Tony Hollings is working on his weight so he can be speedier.

Stacey Mack and Mercilis are going to make two headed monster this year.

badboy
05-21-2010, 12:16 PM
I'd like to see some two back offensive sets with Tate and Slaton. Pounding the ball with Foster and Tate would be sweet. If Jeremiah Johnson comes on strong even better. Competition could make RBs and Corners better this year, I hope.

Big Lou
05-21-2010, 12:20 PM

Dude, you just totally got piss in my Wheaties!!!!!!

El Tejano
05-21-2010, 12:22 PM
I'd like to see some two back offensive sets with Tate and Slaton. Pounding the ball with Foster and Tate would be sweet. If Jeremiah Johnson comes on strong even better. Competition could make RBs and Corners better this year, I hope.

I've been watching NFL Network and when they show those Super Bowls that Denver won, I always see two back sets. I keep wondering why we can't do that. Tate and Slaton or Tate and Foster would be productive.

b0ng
05-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I've been watching NFL Network and when they show those Super Bowls that Denver won, I always see two back sets. I keep wondering why we can't do that. Tate and Slaton or Tate and Foster would be productive.

Usually it's Leach paving the way for whichever back is lucky enough to have the bulldozer in front of him. Honestly I wouldn't want to see either Tate or Slaton doing any kind of blocking for a running play.

mexican_texan
05-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Not to mention most of those "no-name" backs didn't even play in the NFL yet. At least Foster has played in a couple of games.
I already measured Jeremiah Johnson for his HOF jacket.

Texecutioner
05-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Stacey Mack and Mercilis are going to make two headed monster this year.

Yeah, well I hear that Chris Taylor has been working out pretty damn hard and is in talks with Kubes. :kingkong:

badboy
05-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Usually it's Leach paving the way for whichever back is lucky enough to have the bulldozer in front of him. Honestly I wouldn't want to see either Tate or Slaton doing any kind of blocking for a running play.Slaton was allowed to pick up the blitz for 1 1/2 seasons but I would have Tate blocking or faking through the middle with a pitch to Slaton to turn on the afterburner. I think Schaub looking deep to Andre to freeze the DBs and then a quick fake to Tate through the middle or even Tate faking a run to one side with Schaub actually shoveling the ball to Steve would give him time to get deep into the 2nd level.

Honoring Earl 34
05-21-2010, 12:41 PM
All of them together don't make a Gerhart ...:roast:

ChampionTexan
05-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Unlike the previous guy, Chris Taylor who only did well in like the last game of the season, I like the fact that Foster at least showed 3 games worth of production facing two very good defenses that still had something on the line in Miami and New England.

Is the Jury still out on him, sure! However you can't discard him because he's shown he can play in this league.

I don't think you can tell anything about any differences between Foster and Taylor based on the the limited amount of NFL playing time the two had/have (Taylor had 44 carries, Foster has 54). I think the only difference that's safe to assume right now is that Taylor blew out a knee, and missed an entire season because of it, and either couldn't or wasn't given a chance to come back from it. Hopefully, Foster will fare better injury-wise.

Foster may be a good NFL player, he may not be a good NFL player, but if he blows out a knee in preseason this year, I see his fate as similar if not identical to that of Taylor.

El Tejano
05-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Usually it's Leach paving the way for whichever back is lucky enough to have the bulldozer in front of him. Honestly I wouldn't want to see either Tate or Slaton doing any kind of blocking for a running play.

Well in the plays I'm talking about, they don't block. One goes out in motion or even runs out the back field for a screen pass while the other carries the rock. Or they both go for passes out the back field. They did alot more creative things.

b0ng
05-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Slaton was allowed to pick up the blitz for 1 1/2 seasons but I would have Tate blocking or faking through the middle with a pitch to Slaton to turn on the afterburner. I think Schaub looking deep to Andre to freeze the DBs and then a quick fake to Tate through the middle or even Tate faking a run to one side with Schaub actually shoveling the ball to Steve would give him time to get deep into the 2nd level.

I know these guys are supposed to take hits and punishment, but I figured that's what we have Leach for. If they actually ran the ball with Leach more teams might actually look to stop it on occassion.

Still it could be a nifty package to run once or twice to see how it works. I'd also like to see the triple TE set once everybody is healthy.

Hardcore Texan
05-21-2010, 02:06 PM

Oh no you di-int.

BigBull17
05-21-2010, 02:24 PM

Please be a joke. Please o please be kidding.

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Think so?

15 @STL W 16-13 2 7 3.5 6 0 1 13 13.0 13 0 1 1
16 @MIA W 27-20 19 97 5.1 17 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
17 NE W 34-27 20 119 6.0 24 2 3 26 8.7 10 0 0 0

a 5.1 YPC against Miami, a 6.0 YPC against NE...

Id take it, bro.

I would too against those defenses but this year the Texans play very good run stopping defenses and if Foster is their only hope, not that I don't like Foster, guess I should have mentioned that, and Moats is backing up, God help them.

now if he just flat out owns during Training camp and wins it out right, then my comment becomes a

http://www.pilareart.com/files/ScrewBall.jpg knee jerk reaction...

HOU-TEX
05-21-2010, 02:44 PM
If we still have questions at RB come TC, we could always give HOU-TEX a call.

He runs about a 5.7 in the 40. Does 10-15 reps of 225lbs.

He's currently healthy, but has had 3 knee scopes, ankle surgery, Shoulder surgery, same shoulder scoped, wrist surgery, a few concussions and has broken nose twice.

Sooo, sounds like he'd fit right in. Although, by the time he's stretched out and taped up.....the game will be over

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 02:45 PM

http://cdn.mgsrvr.com/funnies/bug-eyed.jpg

what?

HOU-TEX
05-21-2010, 02:51 PM

http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo66/EcNaMorLAciMehcYmIH/DramaticPrairieDogorChipmunk.gif

b0ng
05-21-2010, 02:55 PM

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/b0ngerz/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

badboy
05-21-2010, 05:05 PM

He's currently healthy, but has had 3 knee scopes, ankle surgery, Shoulder surgery, same shoulder scoped, wrist surgery, a few concussions and has broken nose twice.

Sooo, sounds like he'd fit right in. Although, by the time he's stretched out and taped up.....the game will be overOk, but not a damn dollar more than $4million a year. Take it or leave it.

TimeKiller
05-21-2010, 05:06 PM

Sooo, sounds like he'd fit right in. Although, by the time he's stretched out and taped up.....the game will be over

I think it would be kind of funny to have a TT.com combine. Get height, weight, 40 time, 3 cone and bench press and then talk a bunch of shit to each other.....you know....instead of not doing all that and then talking a bunch of shit to each other hahaha....

As for a response that will help this thread stay on some sort of track-

Foster as the offseason #1 is fine with me. The comparison to names past is flat out disrespect as Foster has done little other than hit holes and defenders as hard as he could. 3 backs were used last year, the stable>stud method has always been present here soooo.....I'd take Slaton/Tate/Foster over Slaton/Brown/Moats any and every day. If Foster can take over the big guy/pounder role Brown sucked so mightily at they should be fine having a healthier Slaton and a guy with plenty of tangible goodness in Tate.

badboy
05-21-2010, 05:08 PM
I know these guys are supposed to take hits and punishment, but I figured that's what we have Leach for. If they actually ran the ball with Leach more teams might actually look to stop it on occassion.

Still it could be a nifty package to run once or twice to see how it works. I'd also like to see the triple TE set once everybody is healthy.Leach earns his check but everyone knows what he is going to do. He caught a pass last season that surprised even him I think.

HOU-TEX
05-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Ok, but not a damn dollar more than $4million a year. Take it or leave it.

Well, his agent will have to some negotiating then

I think it would be kind of funny to have a TT.com combine. Get height, weight, 40 time, 3 cone and bench press and then talk a bunch of shit to each other.....you know....instead of not doing all that and then talking a bunch of shit to each other hahaha....

Sounds like it'd be pretty cool. A lot of hammy's being pulled and I reckon it would eventually turn into a lot of beer drinkin........count me in!

JB
05-21-2010, 05:21 PM

I got the 12 oz curl competition! :drunk:

b0ng
05-21-2010, 05:48 PM
I like to do 3 gram lifts myself.

steelbtexan
05-21-2010, 06:11 PM
James Allen has given up his rap career to save the Texans running game. (Rumor has it)

Kubes was talking up Bennett this time last year.

How did that turn out?

b0ng
05-21-2010, 06:18 PM
James Allen has given up his rap career to save the Texans running game. (Rumor has it)

Kubes was talking up Bennett this time last year.

How did that turn out?

Worse than when Kubes talked up Walters before the 2007 campaign?

barrett
05-21-2010, 06:20 PM

As for a response that will help this thread stay on some sort of track-

Foster as the offseason #1 is fine with me. The comparison to names past is flat out disrespect as Foster has done little other than hit holes and defenders as hard as he could. 3 backs were used last year, the stable>stud method has always been present here soooo.....I'd take Slaton/Tate/Foster over Slaton/Brown/Moats any and every day. If Foster can take over the big guy/pounder role Brown sucked so mightily at they should be fine having a healthier Slaton and a guy with plenty of tangible goodness in Tate.

After the draft party, DaleMuphy and I went out onto the Texans practice field and ran some routes and a 40. I smoked him. Drunk speed is great for guys that aren't athletic.

dalemurphy
05-21-2010, 06:32 PM
After the draft party, DaleMuphy and I went out onto the Texans practice field and ran some routes and a 40. I smoked him. Drunk speed is great for guys that aren't athletic.

Wow! Those who know Barrett realize how ridiculous this fabrication is.

For future reference, just because everything seems to be spinning doesn't mean you are moving fast.

By the way, I am BJ Raji to Barrett's Rich Eisen! and that is the truth.

TimeKiller
05-21-2010, 09:06 PM

Wow! Those who know Barrett realize how ridiculous this fabrication is.

For future reference, just because everything seems to be spinning doesn't mean you are moving fast.

By the way, I am BJ Raji to Barrett's Rich Eisen! and that is the truth.

Pffft....I'd smoke both of you.

I like to do 3 gram lifts myself.

aaaaaaaaand I'd smoke with you!!

Hardcore Texan
05-21-2010, 09:51 PM
I'd smoke them both.......on a segway..:jk:

RagingBull
05-21-2010, 09:55 PM

Sometimes the no name guys work out. Slaton was only a 3rd round pick, and if I remember, Domanick Davis-Williams was a 4th round pick. In running back terms, that is pretty no name. I think Foster has as good a shot to be good as those guys did.

Grid
05-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Sometimes the no name guys work out. Slaton was only a 3rd round pick, and if I remember, Domanick Davis-Williams was a 4th round pick. In running back terms, that is pretty no name. I think Foster has as good a shot to be good as those guys did.

Absolutely.

Im just saying that every offseason we have a guy that we talk about and the coaches talk about.. and usually the guy getting the most hype doesnt live up to it come regular season.

As others have pointed out..Foster already looked good late last season, against good teams too..so he is already a big step ahead of all the scrubs from previous offseasons that looked good in OTAs.

Honoring Earl 34
05-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Oh no you di-int.

It was getting slow . :spin:

I liked the Tate pick and have some hope for Slaton .

thunderkyss
05-22-2010, 02:30 AM
In 11 games, Steve Slaton gained 854 yards in 11 games. He also scored 7 TDs. If Kubiak is fairly confident Slaton's fumbling problems are fixed, he'll be our starter Week 1.

He's a playmaker. Not maybe, not could be, not if he squint our eyes and tilt our heads... he is a playmaker. He'll be on the field, and have more opportunities than Foster or Tate.

If Tate or Foster can prove they deserve more carries, they'll get more carries, and may eventually unseat Slaton as our "starter" which is just a word to Gary Kubiak when talking about RBs, TEs, and DL.

It's pretty much the same question as who will our starting TE will be.

I mean, we already know the answer to that one don't we?

painekiller
05-22-2010, 02:31 AM
This year is our first year to potentially get to do what Kubiak has always wante... run the ball down our opponent's throat.

Slaton did well his rookie year but he was by himself. Now we have 3 guys who can potentially be quality backs. Including Slaton in his more natural pass-catching RB role that should prolong his career. If we use Slaton like we used him against the Bengals last season then he will be a very potent weapon.

If Tate and Foster can get the tough yards and tire defenses out then our play action pass is gonna hit another level. With Cushing missing 4 games we need a strong running game to make up for losing him.

Kubiak being a run first guy is a misnomer. Mike Shanahan throws the ball in the 1st half to get a lead, so does Kubiak. They use play action, and roll outs to throw down field. They want to shorten the game in the 2nd half by running the ball. To do that you need to average 3.5 yds per run play. In Kubiak's opinion you beat Peyton by keeping him on the bench.

thunderkyss
05-22-2010, 02:56 AM
Kubiak being a run first guy is a misnomer. Mike Shanahan throws the ball in the 1st half to get a lead, so does Kubiak. They use play action, and roll outs to throw down field. They want to shorten the game in the 2nd half by running the ball. To do that you need to average 3.5 yds per run play. In Kubiak's opinion you beat Peyton by keeping him on the bench.

Agree.

The Broncos I enjoyed watching, got a big lead, then played keep away. but they were pretty mean about it. Imagine, being up by 14, after 3 run plays, you've got the Texans at 2nd and 4.

And they punk you with an 80 yard PA pass for a touchdown.

It's really amazing how well the play action pass has been working for us. If we had a good run game plus a good lead, it will be a joy to watch.

SteveSlaton20
05-22-2010, 04:31 AM
IMO, Steve Slaton will bounce back, get 1000+ yards and 10+ TDs

beerlover
05-22-2010, 05:31 AM
IMO, Steve Slaton will bounce back, get 1000+ yards and 10+ TDs

hope so, I have a signed rookie jersey :handshake:

Malloy
05-22-2010, 06:23 AM

That's a brilliant idea!

infantrycak
05-22-2010, 10:32 AM

Very well stated. Wanting a solid running game and being run first are not the same. Shanahan/Kubiak's primary focus is to have teams respect the running game. It isn't to be the old Steelers or the Titans and run the ball all day long.

Hardcore Texan
05-22-2010, 10:57 AM
It was getting slow . :spin:

I liked the Tate pick and have some hope for Slaton .

I knew you were kidding. :texflag:

That's funny right there, and a good idea. I got to warn you though, I run a 4.4, not sure how far I would get but I can definetly run for fours seconds.

dalemurphy
05-22-2010, 11:31 AM
I knew you were kidding. :texflag:

That's funny right there, and a good idea. I got to warn you though, I run a 4.4, not sure how far I would get but I can definetly run for fours seconds.

That's impressive!

Hardcore Texan
05-22-2010, 11:57 AM
That's impressive!

Got to stay in shape for the season, to make it to the fridge for a beer or to the bathroom during timeouts.

stingray
05-22-2010, 12:19 PM
I hope Ben Tate does well but Stevie is my man. I have game worn autographed cleats from his rookie year. Hope they are worth something in the years to come.

TimeKiller
05-22-2010, 01:42 PM
You guys are teh slowz!!!

How 'bout it for that TT.com flag football team? I call WR since you guys have cement for feet!!!!!

PHAROAH
05-22-2010, 05:09 PM
No way foster is the lead running back it will be steve slaton if he is fully healthy. Tate will be the change up back and if Steve comes back to his rookie form he is one of the most explosive back in the NFL and no one can deny that!!!!

thunderkyss
05-22-2010, 09:46 PM
No way foster is the lead running back it will be steve slaton if he is fully healthy. Tate will be the change up back and if Steve comes back to his rookie form he is one of the most explosive back in the NFL and no one can deny that!!!!

I have no doubt Slaton will be the starter. He's earned it. At least Kubiak likes his play making ability.

But I think Tate will get plenty of opportunities to prove he deserves to be on the field. Kubiak is about production. Even when Slaton kept fumbling the ball last season, he was given ample opportunity to redeem himself, because Kubiak sees him as a play-maker.

thunderkyss
05-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Texans Chick usually does a good job about plugging her blog on TT. But I couldn't find the thread related to this (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/05/texans_offensive_line_numbers.html)article, which I thought was interesting, and worthy of discussion.

When I asked about the running game versus the offensive line to the folks at Football Outsiders at the end of February, their answer was squarely pointing to neither, and mostly to one person, Steve Slaton.

If I'm wrong, forgive me, & let this thread die back into the depths of TT's archives.

BigBull17
05-24-2010, 09:49 AM

I actually think Tate will start, with Slaton as the change of pace/3rd down back. They will almost be a 50-50 split on touches.

Thorn
05-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Certainly Tate will get lots of carries since he's the number two pick. As to who starts, who cares as long as we win.

I like Foster, but we'll just have to wait for some pre-season games to pass before we get a better idea. If Foster is our "starting" RB, something is either wrong or Foster isn't a fluke.

badboy
05-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Well, his agent will have to some negotiating then

Sounds like it'd be pretty cool. A lot of hammy's being pulled and I reckon it would eventually turn into a lot of beer drinkin........count me in!If you do not have any uncles a Granny will do just fine.:barman:

ubecool454
05-27-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't care who is the starting RB as long as Chris Brown is not on the team...I'm happy. I wouldn't be surprised if Foster gets a lot of carries this season because he was a quality back in college.

TimeKiller
05-27-2010, 01:22 PM
1st down: Foster
2nd down: Tate
3rd/4th down: Slaton

How bout them apples?

Element1337
05-28-2010, 04:44 PM
1st down: Foster
2nd down: Tate
3rd/4th down: Slaton

How bout them apples?

You can't operate a team like that. That allows for no rhythm at all. It's like oh nice job Tate getting 15 on that last run...Steve! You're up. I do see all three backs getting opportunities in games, much like the Giants did with Bradshaw, Jacobs, and Ward or even look at the Cowboys with Felix, Choice, and Barber. Steve and (insert RB here) will get the bulk of the carries. Steve is going to do big things this year, I can sense it and I really like that he returned to his rookie weight because he was way too bulky for my liking last season.

We've now got our own earth, wind, and fire.

TimeKiller
05-29-2010, 07:17 PM
You can't operate a team like that. That allows for no rhythm at all. It's like oh nice job Tate getting 15 on that last run...Steve! You're up. I do see all three backs getting opportunities in games, much like the Giants did with Bradshaw, Jacobs, and Ward or even look at the Cowboys with Felix, Choice, and Barber. Steve and (insert RB here) will get the bulk of the carries. Steve is going to do big things this year, I can sense it and I really like that he returned to his rookie weight because he was way too bulky for my liking last season.
Fair enough. I would like to see all 3 getting at least a few carries every game and definitely relying on the hot hand rather than hoping Steve Slaton is back to Stevie Wonder.

We've now got our own earth, wind, and fire.
Earth-Foster, Wind-Slaton, Fire-Tate?

threetoedpete
06-01-2010, 02:58 PM

I pretty much agree. Foster's only attribute at this point in the process is he is the current "wrabbit" the other (dogs)guys are chasing. Just a matter of time before Foster makes a mistake ends up in the famous Kubiak dog house and the others are chasing the new "wrabbit". the one guy who has gotta be steaming right now is Slaton. the very last thing that guy wants to hear is "third down back" next to his name.