PDA

View Full Version : Romo Advances in US Open Qualifying

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Hope he makes it. Pretty nice grind in a playoff yesterday to advance. And I'm guessing there will be comments on concentrating on football. I don't mind this at all. If this is an alternative way to get the juices flowing and he is still working hard in camps, etc, then cool by me.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/052110dnsporomogolf.e5e400b.html

CARROLLTON Honors Golf Club was drenched in darkness as Tony Romo's tap-in putt on the third playoff hole fell into the cup at 8:54 p.m. Thursday.

Some eight hours after he teed off in the local qualifier for the U.S. Open, the Cowboys quarterback advanced for the first time to the sectional qualifying, which will be played June 7 at The Club at Carlton Woods at The Woodlands.

Romo shot a 69 in regulation to make the playoff by birdieing three of his final four holes after back-to-back bogeys on Nos. 4 and 5 nearly derailed his round. In the playoff, which came two hours after his round finished, he overcame a flubbed chip on No. 9 but recovered for a par.

"It's nice to know that you can do things and get your blood pressure and emotions under control in this situation and still do good things," Romo said. "And that carries over to football, and I try to use the way you think, the way you breathe, all those things in football and it's just another tool to help you get better."

Romo had been an alternate for the sectional qualifying before (2005), which he made in a playoff, but was not needed. Now, he is one step away from playing in the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach Golf Links on June 17-20.

First, however, Romo will have to conquer 36 holes to earn one of the 90 qualifying spots at 13 section qualifiers across the country.

On Monday he had to pass up a chance to qualify for the HP Byron Nelson Championship because it conflicted with the Cowboys organized team activities. There is no conflict for the sectional qualifier. The Cowboys have their OTAs on June 8-10, followed by the minicamp on June 11-13.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 07:54 AM
He's a very good golfer and it's his own time. Right?

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 07:58 AM
He's a very good golfer and it's his own time. Right?

Yeah, he isn't missing any football related activities and he actually skipped qualifying for the Nelson because of OTAs. He has tried this for years.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 08:07 AM
I don't understand golf...

But I know he loves it and is very good. Good for him.

Blake
05-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Well at least he can win a playoff in one sport.

Hardcore Texan
05-21-2010, 08:43 AM

:lol:

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Hope he makes it. Pretty nice grind in a playoff yesterday to advance. And I'm guessing there will be comments on concentrating on football. I don't mind this at all. If this is an alternative way to get the juices flowing and he is still working hard in camps, etc, then cool by me.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/052110dnsporomogolf.e5e400b.html

And this is why the Cowboys will be nothing more than they are, because the leader of the team would rather focus on golf than football. Just like he focused on Jessica Simpson in Cabo rather than the game ahead or focusing on holding the ball on a FG....

Would never see Manning, Brady or even Schaub, who is a pretty good golfer, do this. Romo's priorities seem to be bass ackwards....

WWJD
05-21-2010, 08:55 AM
And this is why the Cowboys will be nothing more than they are, because the leader of the team would rather focus on golf than football. Just like he focused on Jessica Simpson in Cabo rather than the game ahead or focusing on holding the ball on a FG....

Would never see Manning, Brady or even Schaub, who is a pretty good golfer, do this. Romo's priorities seem to be bass ackwards....

Did you read the article? He's doing this on his own time. He's entitled to do what he wants on his own time. He hasn't missed anything team related. And he won't.

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 09:02 AM

What is the difference between this and Cushing doing MMA?It is their own way of keeping their body/mind sharp while not doing football related events. He never misses OTAs. He never misses off season workouts. It's golf when he has open time. Baseball players do it during the season and so does every other sport. Child, please.

As far as the Simpson thing. It was a week off and Witten and others went with him. Did they ***** about them?

infantrycak
05-21-2010, 09:06 AM
First off, you both know or should know I grew up a Cowboys fan and they are now still a team I support as long as they aren't playing the Texans. That said:

Did you read the article? He's doing this on his own time. He's entitled to do what he wants on his own time. He hasn't missed anything team related. And he won't.

So what if it's on his own time. Peyton, Schaub, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, etc. spend lots of their own time studying film to get better at football. Sure he can do what he wants with his off time, but he isn't showing the same dedication.

What is the difference between this and Cushing doing MMA?It is their own way of keeping their body/mind sharp while not doing football related events. He never misses OTAs. He never misses off season workouts. It's golf when he has open time. Baseball players do it during the season and so does every other sport. Child, please.

The difference is pretty clear. The MMA program is not designed to teach athletes to be MMA guys, it is specifically developed to make them better football players. There is nothing about playing golf designed to make Romo a better football player.

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 09:08 AM

As far as the Simpson thing. It was a week off and Witten and others went with him. Did they ***** about them?

keep telling yourself that when they are sitting at home, again, because Romo's lack of focus.

Cushing is using MMA for football training just like many use karate, i.e. Gregg Lloyd back in the day, to learn techniques for pass rushing. How the hell does golf translate to football? You know it has nothing to do with it. This is strictly a personal accomplishment for Romo.

lack of focus has been an ongoing thing with Romo since day one and there is plenty of evidence to prove so. The golf thing is just another distraction. On own time or not, he should be using that time better himself at the QB spot, not better himself making 4 ft putts.

Like I said, wouldn't see Manning doing this....

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 09:09 AM
first off, you both know or should know i grew up a cowboys fan and they are now still a team i support as long as they aren't playing the texans. That said:

So what if it's on his own time. Peyton, schaub, ray lewis, ed reed, etc. Spend lots of their own time studying film to get better at football. Sure he can do what he wants with his off time, but he isn't showing the same dedication.

The difference is pretty clear. The mma program is not designed to teach athletes to be mma guys, it is specifically developed to make them better football players. There is nothing about playing gold designed to make romo a better football player.

all of this^^^^^^

I too grew up a Cowboys fan, because that was all we got on Sunday's being 100+ miles away from Dallas. Denounced them when Jones fired Jimmy Johnson and went without a team till I moved to Houston in 99.

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 09:19 AM
The difference is pretty clear. The MMA program is not designed to teach athletes to be MMA guys, it is specifically developed to make them better football players. There is nothing about playing gold designed to make Romo a better football player.

You guys are too much. Concentration, foucus, being under pressure, mechanics....none of that has to do with football?Give me a break. The desperation to find fault around this place sometimes is hilarious...yet everyone on the Texans is the saint. A simple article turns into bashfest again...which is why I prefaced it because you can see it a mile away. MMA training is just another way to workout. If Romo is lifting with the team, training with the team and not missing study sessions, how is this a bad thing again? There is a reason why he only does it on off times and before the season gets rolling.

all of this^^^^^^

I too grew up a Cowboys fan, because that was all we got on Sunday's being 100+ miles away from Dallas. Denounced them when Jones fired Jimmy Johnson and went without a team till I moved to Houston in 99.

This is how I know you don't know jack.....I'll leave your bait and typical wordy b.s. for another day. This sounds familiar around here. You do know Jimmy and Jerry are still best friends and Jimmy admitted he forced Jerry's hand and wanted to leave?

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 09:26 AM
You guys are too much. Concentration, foucus, being under pressure, mechanics....none of that has to do with football?Give me a break. The desperation to find fault around this place sometimes is hilarious...yet everyone on the Texans is the saint. A simple article turn into bashfest again...which is why I prefaced it because you can see it a mile away. MMA training is just another way to workout. If Romo is lifting with the team, training with the team and not missing study sessions, how is this a bad thing again?

This is how I know you don't know jack.....I'll leave your bait and typical wordy b.s. for another day.

Like I said you keep telling yourself that. Nothing in a Golf swing helps with football. 2 totally, way different mechanics are involved. I am sure you have played golf before and thrown a football and yet you posted that? And all that focus could be better administrated on the football field rather a 4 ft putt. But you keep defending him...

MMA and martial arts teach techniques to get your opponent off balance, the MAIN reason Cushing was training with Glazer, Glazer even said this himself. You learn to use your opponents weight against him. Your comparison is apples and bananas...mostly just bananas...:jumpbanan

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 09:29 AM
You guys are too much. Concentration, foucus, being under pressure, mechanics....none of that has to do with football?Give me a break. The desperation to find fault around this place sometimes is hilarious...yet everyone on the Texans is the saint. A simple article turns into bashfest again...which is why I prefaced it because you can see it a mile away. MMA training is just another way to workout. If Romo is lifting with the team, training with the team and not missing study sessions, how is this a bad thing again? There is a reason why he only does it on off times and before the season gets rolling.

This is how I know you don't know jack.....I'll leave your bait and typical wordy b.s. for another day. This sounds familiar around here. You do know Jimmy and Jerry are still best friends and Jimmy admitted he forced Jerry's hand and wanted to leave?

yet your argument is golf helps football....:lol:

your glass house must be stone proof...

WWJD
05-21-2010, 09:30 AM
When Tony playing golf in MAY hurts his play in September then we'll talk guys.

Tony is out at VR every day working out and he's been working all spring with Roy Williams. He never misses anything the team requires of him.

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Like I said you keep telling yourself that. Nothing in a Golf swing helps with football. And all that focus could be better administrated on the football field rather a 4 ft putt. But you keep defending him...

MMA and martial arts teach techniques to get your opponent off balance, the MAIN reason Cushing was training with Glazer, Glazer even said this himself. You learn to use your opponents weight against him. Your comparison is apples and bananas...

Well he needed MMA because of the juice...that's right, he is innocent

You keep telling yourself you are right on everything when you just like to troll and start lame b.s. What is the difference between this and baseball players bringing their clubs to spring training and playing...which many do...or hockey players playing year around...which they do...or football players playing during training camp...which many do because I've seen the Cardinals in Flagstaff playing often. You do know it is OTAs right now and he has never missed off season work because of this? Please stop making stuff up to get your panties in a bunch about.

yet your argument is golf helps football....:lol:

your glass house must be stone proof...

Mentally ...yes. I've played both and there are alot of similarities in how you have to slow down your breathing and concentrate, etc. For a QB, this is a good thing. But then again, you are a troll. Way to skip the part about how you knew nothing about Jerry and Jimmy. Typical.

When Tony playing golf in MAY hurts his play in September then we'll talk guys.

Tony is out at VR every day working out and he's been working all spring with Roy Williams. He never misses anything the team requires of him.

What do dyou mean WWJD?They are supposed to lock themselves up and do nothing but look at playbooks and throw year around?Someone better tell 90% of the league this. Did you know Tom Brady was in France alot this off season with his wife and kid. Better get on him. What good could being in Europe do?

Blake
05-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Woo the Cowboy apologists are out in full force today.

I can hear the announcer now. "What a great job Romo did looking off the coverage, scrambling outside the pocket and then striking Witten with a dart 30 yards down-field. It must have been all that putting and chipping practice this off-season"

LMAO!

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 09:44 AM

You keep telling yourself you are right on everything when you just like to troll and start lame b.s. What is the difference between this and baseball players bringing their clubs to spring training and playing...which many do...or hockey players playing year around...which they do...or football players playing during training camp...which many do because I've seen the Cardinals in Flagstaff playing often. You do know it is OTAs right now and he has never missed off season work because of this? Please stop making stuff up to get your panties in a bunch about.

Mentally ...yes. I've played both and there are alot of similarities in how you have to slow down your breathing and concentrate, etc. For a QB, this is a good thing. But then again, you are a troll. Way to skip the part about how you knew nothing about Jerry and Jimmy. Typical.

What do dyou mean WWJD?They are supposed to lock themselves up and do nothing but look at playbooks and throw year around?Someone better tell 90% of the league this.

Wow had resort to name calling? Troll huh?

Oh now you are assuming he used MMA because he juiced and not to be a better football player? Wow how the wheels have fallen off...

that is simple, None of those guys are trying to qualify for a PGA golf event. they see it a leisure sport, way to relax. But you keep defending your boy, he will show his true colors once again...

My panties in a bunch, sorry fella, I'm not the one slinging troll names around trying to defend a player who is know for his lack of focus on the football field.

Don't be mad cause I didn't see it your way and made a few opinions. Here, :blowakiss: that's to cheer you up...

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 09:45 AM

I can hear the announcer now. "What a great job Romo did looking off the coverage, scrambling outside the pocket and then striking Witten with a dart 30 yards down-field. It must have been all that putting and chipping practice this off-season"

LMAO!

LMAO..have you read the Cushing threads?You are no longer allowed to use that phrase.

There is no apologies here. It was a simple article that got hijacked by the usual suspects who have to rip anything Cowboy. Again, lets review....he hasn't missed and has never missed wiorkouts. He throws all off season with the WRs. He never misses camp or other workouts. He is playing golf on some off days.....which massive amoubnt of athletes do. And he says he keeps him mentally sharp. So what is the issue being blown up here?

Resume hijacking. It's funny how I prefaced the hijack and yet people do it anyways. So easy, it's unbelievable.

Wow had resort to name calling? Troll huh?

Oh now you are assuming he used MMA because he juiced and not to be a better football player? Wow how the wheels have fallen off...

that is simple, None of those guys are trying to qualify for a PGA golf event. they see it a leisure sport, way to relax. But you keep defending your boy, he will show his true colors once again...

My panties in a bunch, sorry fella, I'm not the one slinging troll names around trying to defend a player who is know for his lack of focus on the football field.

Don't be mad cause I didn't see it your way and made a few opinions. Here, :blowakiss: that's to cheer you up...

It's not name calling. You ARE a troll. You did it in the Dolphin GM thread and you do it in these threads. Yout make extreme, off the mark statements to inflame and then you just keep talking to hear yourself talk. A troll. Nothing you say makes sense and when people call you on it you say they mixed up your words. Move along here.

BTW, why would leisure golf and playing the same type round where there is competition make a difference again?.....................

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 09:46 AM

LMAO!

Do you blame them? Paper Champs since 96...

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Do you blame them? Paper Champs since 96...

No, I've watched them since the 70s and pretty much have alot of winning memories. It's fun that way.

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 09:55 AM
LMAO..have you read the Cushing threads?You are no longer allowed to use that phrase.

There is no apologies here. It was a simple article that got hijacked by the usual suspects who have to rip anything Cowboy. Again, lets review....he hasn't missed and has never missed wiorkouts. He throws all off season with the WRs. He never misses camp or other workouts. He is playing golf on some off days.....which massive amoubnt of athletes do. And he says he keeps him mentally sharp. So what is the issue being blown up here?

Resume hijacking. It's funny how I prefaced the hijack and yet people do it anyways. So easy, it's unbelievable.

It's not name calling. You ARE a troll. You did it in the Dolphin GM thread and you do it in these threads. Yout make extreme, off the mark statements to inflame and then you just keep talking to hear yourself talk. A troll. Nothing you say makes sense and when people call you on it you say they mixed up your words. Move along here.

BTW, why would leisure golf and playing the same type round where this is competition make a difference again?.....................

LOL so let get this straight, I am a troll cause I make my own opinions and don't go along The crowd? No, you're mad cause I don't agree with you and deep down you know I am right about Romo but won't admit it cause he is your teams QB...Keep living the dream fella....

the Dez Bryant thing was me seeing another side that you didn't or wouldn't see but that is cool. Not everyone agrees with everyone...

Man you are just getting worse and worse. HOUSTONFROG: HYPOCRISY LIVES HERE!

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 09:55 AM
No, I've watched them since the 70s and pretty much have alot of winning memories. It's fun that way.

and paper champs since 96...

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Hey WWJD, you want to know something cool?

Last year Schaub played in the Lake Tahoe Celebrity Golf Tourney for cash. It's pretty cool. Alot of athletes, current and older play...Roethlisberger, Romo, Schaub, etc. It's a real toruney for cash. It's in....July too. That is right before they report to camp...right before. Must be a good break for them. I sure hope it doesn't ruin their season though....as long as they don't hang with Roethlisberger.

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 10:08 AM

Last year Schaub played in the Lake Tahoe Celebrity Golf Tourney for cash. It's pretty cool. Alot of athletes, current and older play...Roethlisberger, Romo, Schaub, etc. It's a real toruney for cash. It's in....July too. That is right before they report to camp...right before. Must be a good break for them. I sure hope it doesn't ruin their season though....as long as they don't hang with Roethlisberger.

:facepalm:

I almost feel bad for you, really....

WWJD
05-21-2010, 10:09 AM

What do dyou mean WWJD?They are supposed to lock themselves up and do nothing but look at playbooks and throw year around?Someone better tell 90% of the league this. Did you know Tom Brady was in France alot this off season with his wife and kid. Better get on him. What good could being in Europe do?

Tom Brady has alot of nerve..doing anything non-Patriot related..how dare he.

Seriously I saw a thing once where he was in NYC where Gisele lived and he had on a Yanks cap and they gave him a hard time for that. Seems he's not allowed to pick out what baseball caps he wears. He really should watch that. And he was running an errand for her and the guy was standing there going "errand boy, errand boy, errand boy"

If I were him I would have popped the dude but he ignored him. Showed some real class there.

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 10:14 AM

Seriously I saw a thing once where he was in NYC where Gisele lived and he had on a Yanks cap and they gave him a hard time for that. Seems he's not allowed to pick out what baseball caps he wears. He really should watch that. And he was running an errand for her and the guy was standing there going "errand boy, errand boy, errand boy"

If I were him I would have popped the dude but he ignored him. Showed some real class there.

Yeah I like Brady. I read this though....hope he is ready. He'll never be a winner with this attitude.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/05/rodney-harrison-patriots-qb-tom-bradys-not-losing-his-edge/1

Former Patriots safety Rodney Harrison rejected criticism of QB Tom Brady, who is splitting time between California and New England this offseason due to his changing family demands.

Brady said last week he's not able to commit to 100% participation in the team's voluntary offseason program because of time demands his two sons, one of whom is based in California, place on him. Harrison said it's unfair to suggest that Brady might be losing something by not spending the entire offseason with the Patriots.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 10:15 AM

You're funny..I'm in the very small minority obviously that hopes Ben gets his life straightened out. I don't like any of that stuff..what he was accused of doing..makes me sick.

I bet that tourney doesn't get too many guys turning them down..so pretty there. From there to a bunch of fat sweaty guys trying to knock the crap out of you..yea I'd go to Lake Tahoe too right before camp!

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 10:17 AM

Aaaaaannndd how many Super Bowls has Tom Brady won compared to Romo? Brady can do what eve the hell he wants to, he has already established his legacy. Romo's legacy is someone who loses focus when the game is on the line....

You 2 have a nice day....

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 10:17 AM
You're funny..I'm in the very small minority obviously that hopes Ben gets his life straightened out. I don't like any of that stuff..what he was accused of doing..makes me sick.

I bet that tourney doesn't get too many guys turning them down..so pretty there. From there to a bunch of fat sweaty guys trying to knock the crap out of you..yea I'd go to Lake Tahoe too right before camp!

Last year Schaub hit a lady with an errant shot but he signed the ball, etc. Funny stuff. These guys need an outlet besides playing all the time. That is why baseball and hockey players end up being such good golfers. They play a ton. There are some hockey guys who could play with Romo.

I keep hearing a buzz...what is that?

WWJD
05-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Yeah I like Brady. I read this though....hope he is ready. He'll never be a winner with this attitude.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/05/rodney-harrison-patriots-qb-tom-bradys-not-losing-his-edge/1

Tom will be ready for camp. Tony will be ready for camp. Much adieu about nothing. The Cabo thing..yea fire away. This? Silly stuff.

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 10:19 AM

:clap: you have officially gone to ridonkulous.....

how many Super Bowls has Brady won? they already have his bust carved and waiting at the HOF...

How many games has Romo blown? As many Super Bowls as Brady has won I bet..

good day ladies....

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Tom will be ready for camp. Tony will be ready for camp. Much adieu about nothing. The Cabo thing..yea fire away. This? Silly stuff.

Agree. Yet I never found the Cabo thing that big a deal because guys take breaks but considering the situation he should have stayed. I like that he plays golf though. Take the pressure elsewhere.

SheTexan
05-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Geeeezzzzz! There's life outside of football folks!! Good mental health program, IMHO, for these guys to find something else to do so they can give their overpaid brains a rest. If this was AJ or Schaub noone on this board would care.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Last year Schaub hit a lady with an errant shot but he signed the ball, etc. Funny stuff. These guys need an outlet besides playing all the time. That is why baseball and hockey players end up being such good golfers. They play a ton. There are some hockey guys who could play with Romo.

I keep hearing a buzz...what is that?

Mike Modano plays with Romo..and is quite good. Course he may not be playing hockey anymore.

I don't get golf. Too many rules. But I admire the guys that do well at it. I wouldn't have the patience to play.

And of course they all need an outlet. Maybe Ben should play more golf huh?

WWJD
05-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Geeeezzzzz! There's life outside of football folks!! Good mental health program, IMHO, for these guys to find something else to do so they can give their overpaid brains a rest. If this was AJ or Schaub noone on this board would care.

You're so funny...I wish I had the opportunity to have an overpaid brain! These guys don't know how good they have it!

:)

infantrycak
05-21-2010, 10:33 AM
You guys are too much. Concentration, foucus, being under pressure, mechanics....none of that has to do with football?Give me a break.

First off, I hope you aren't throwing me in with the "usual suspects" with regard to the Cowboys. In any event, give me a break. As if everything competitive will improve football skills. That's silly. Competitive ping pong also involves concentration, focus, being under pressure and mechanics and like golf it means bupkiss to football.

Cute but as someone who has played you know the difference in dedication and time it takes between just playing a round every once in a while and getting to a pro level. He is playing 4 times a week at a bare minimum to be at this level.

Agree. Yet I never found the Cabo thing that big a deal because guys take breaks but considering the situation he should have stayed. I like that he plays golf though. Take the pressure elsewhere.

Cabo by itself is a nothing issue as are the girls. The only question about Cabo was the timing. And yeah if the Texans make the playoffs and Schaub jets off before the game I'll criticize him as well. That was dumb.

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 10:36 AM

If AJ and Schaub had a history of losing games in the playoffs due to lack of focus and letting other distractions interfere, yes fans would defiantly care...

Remember the David Carr knock on how he didn't focus on being the best QB he could be because of outside distractions?

Romo wasn't just playing for charity or a pro-am, this was to qualify for a PGA event in which he had to dedicate allot of time to practice and play rounds to be ready. My older brother had to play qualifiers for the Us Open and spent like 60-70 hours a week. 7 days a week, practicing and playing, and he is a 1 handicap.

Just don't think for someone that has a history of focus problems in big games should be distracted by outside interferences, but just my opinion....

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 10:42 AM
First off, I hope you aren't throwing me in with the "usual suspects" with regard to the Cowboys. In any event, give me a break. As if everything competitive will improve football skills. That's silly. Competitive ping pong also involves concentration, focus, being under pressure and mechanics and like golf it means bupkiss to football.

Cute but as someone who has played you know the difference in dedication and time it takes between just playing a round every once in a while and getting to a pro level. He is playing 4 times a week at a bare minimum to be at this level.

Cabo by itself is a nothing issue as are the girls. The only question about Cabo was the timing. And yeah if the Texans make the playoffs and Schaub jets off before the game I'll criticize him as well. That was dumb.

:clap:

My older brother had to play qualifiers for the Us Open and spent like 60-70 hours a week. 7 days a week, practicing and playing, and he is a 1 handicap.

Dutchrudder
If AJ and Schaub had a history of losing games in the playoffs due to lack of focus and letting other distractions interfere, yes fans would defiantly care...

Remember the David Carr knock on how he didn't focus on being the best QB he could be because of outside distractions?

Romo wasn't just playing for charity or a pro-am, this was to qualify for a PGA event in which he had to dedicate allot of time to practice and play rounds to be ready. My older brother had to play qualifiers for the Us Open and spent like 60-70 hours a week. 7 days a week, practicing and playing, and he is a 1 handicap.

Just don't think for someone that has a history of focus problems in big games should be distracted by outside interferences, but just my opinion....

As a Texan fan, I'm all for it :D

HoustonFrog

Thumbs up!

Agree completely. I really didn't post it as a Cowboy thing. If Schaub did it I'd be pumping him up. I'm a major golf fan and think it cool that these guys are such good athletes they can compete in other sports.

Blake
05-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Romo Advances in US Open Qualifying

What is the difference between this and Cushing doing MMA?

It's not name calling. You ARE a troll.

So let me get this straight. You start a thread about Tony Romo playing golf on the Texans board. Dont get the response you want. Bring up the comparison of Cushing MMA to Romo golf. Dont get the response you want. Start poking fun at the Cushing issue and then as a Cowboys fan start calling Texans fans on a Texans forum trolls? Is that about right?

I am sure you are aware of this site, but if you want to talk more about Romo and his "football training" you might want to try this site.

http://www.cowboys-forum.com/

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 10:50 AM
First off, I hope you aren't throwing me in with the "usual suspects" with regard to the Cowboys. In any event, give me a break. As if everything competitive will improve football skills. That's silly. Competitive ping pong also involves concentration, focus, being under pressure and mechanics and like gold it means bupkiss to football.

Come on Cak, you know I don't think that about you. I'm just trying to make a point...that this is being overblown. I play golf and don't think playing a weekend right before camp or in the off season matters.

As for Romo....he doesn't practice much at all once this time of year hits. He is a scratch golfer and has been for years and years. He literally workouts with the team, throws to his WRs in the off season and has never missed any NFL team workouts or OTAs. He has tried to qualify every year and he isn't missing football to do it. All his gold related work is pure off season. The Golf Magazine article is a good read.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/051810dnpoblogjjt.11ef8153.html

It wouldn't have bothered me at all if Romo had played. After all, we're talking about missing a practice - the players wore helmets and shoulder pads - more than two months before training camp begins.

In the big picture, OTA practices aren't that big a deal. Did you forget they're voluntary?

But Romo understands he could never miss an OTA practice because he's playing golf. Fans just wouldn't understand.

The same fans who skip work to take in the NCAA Tournament and the same fans who call in sick on baseball's opening day would never forgive Romo for spending one day playing in a golf tournament. How sad.

For some reason, there's a perception that football isn't important to Romo.

That's just silly.

He improves virtually every year, an indication he's working hard in he off-season. Wade Phillips said Monday that Romo has never missed anything work-related during his three seasons.

The reality, however, is that some of you will never forget the time he spent in Cabo before the playoff loss to the Giants a few years ago.

It was a bad decision, but that was a while ago. At what point does it become part of the past?

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1989307,00.html

Could Romo do it? It's possible. Golf is not just a hobby for him, it's a passion. For football players who play golf, the biggest problem is they play six months on and six months off. Lots of golf during the off-season and little or no golf during the season. That means that a football player like Romo can't practice his short game the way professional golfers do. Tour pros practice putting, chips and pitches the way Romo throws outs in practice: again and again and again until the motions become second nature. A high-caliber recreational player like Romo is always at a disadvantage against a touring pro. If the recreational player is having a good ball-striking day, he's fine, but if he's having a bad ball-striking day, it's tough to recover.

For Romo, this is a really good time for his golf game because toward the end of his off-season, his feel should be as good as it ever gets. It's been a while since we had a pro athlete who could really play golf. San Francisco 49ers quarterback John Brodie, who won a Champions Tour event in 1991, was the last one. If Romo qualifies for the Nelson — look out! — it will be a big deal for golf and for sports.

So let me get this straight. You start a thread about Tony Romo playing golf on the Texans board. Dont get the response you want. Bring up the comparison of Cushing MMA to Romo golf. Dont get the response you want. Start poking fun at the Cushing issue and then as a Cowboys fan start calling Texans fans on a Texans forum trolls? Is that about right?
I am sure you are aware of this site, but if you want to talk more about Romo and his "football training" you might want to try this site.

Dude, this is a Texans board I've been a part of for 5 year.(including other board) I went to the NFL section..that is why they have one...and put an article I thought was cool out there. It could have been Schaub or any QB. I only prefaced it because people talk about commitment. You are the ones who came in making the same lame jokes, etc. I didn't respond to the jokes even. I responded to a hilarious comment about being defensive after the last 3 weeks here and Cushing. I've commited alot to the Texans talk and this board. Telling people where to post is a foolish thing to tell people when there are sections here for these issues. You don't own the board and you aren't anyone that needs to be directing people elsewhere. If you don't want to talk golf or this subject then why get snarky?We have never had an issue so is there anything else you need to tell me to do?

Someone else is just mad because people are now ignoring him and he has to keep talking. That is what Trolls do. Join a board, get into the mix right away and cause issues.

eriadoc
05-21-2010, 10:55 AM
I personally hope Romo is in the top two or three on the final day. The results should make for some great storylines.

"Romo Fumbles Putt on 18th Hole"

Oh, and on topic - I'm pretty sure HWSNBN never missed any team activities, either. QBs have to use their off time to stay ahead of things. So we'll see.

Personally, I don't care about the Cowboys, really. I just have a general apathy towards them. But I am sick of hearing about Romo, when the guy is not that great.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 10:56 AM
What is a scratch golfer? It sounds kinda nasty...:)

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 10:58 AM

Watch it, you might get called one of these for not going along with the crowd...

http://norwegianity.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/files_troll_2.jpg

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 11:00 AM
I personally hope Romo is in the top two or three on the final day. The results should make for some great storylines.

"Romo Fumbles Putt on 18th Hole"

Oh, and on topic - I'm pretty sure HWSNBN never missed any team activities, either. QBs have to use their off time to stay ahead of things. So we'll see.

Personally, I don't care about the Cowboys, really. I just have a general apathy towards them. But I am sick of hearing about Romo, when the guy is not that great.

Actually his numbers are outstanding for the years he has played. He just hasn't gotten over the hump. Probably too much press but his numbers are some of the best in the league and he has improved every year over the last 3 years.

On to golf. It would be great for him to make it. It will still be June and a full month before full camp and football gets going.

It usually relates to a true amateur golfer who can shoot par or better.

infantrycak
05-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Come on Cak, you know I don't think that about you. I'm just trying to make a point...that this is being overblown. I play golf and don't think playing a weekend right before camp or in the off season matters.

As for Romo....he doesn't practice much at all once this time of year hits. He is a scratch golfer and has been for years and years. He literally workouts with the team, throws to his WRs in the off season and has never missed any NFL team workouts or OTAs. He has tried to qualify every year and he isn't missing football to do it. All his gold related work is pure off season. The Golf Magazine article is a good read.

I appreciate that he isn't missing football to do it. I am just amazed if he can be at this high a level without it taking every non-mandatory football moment he has and that would be a lack of dedication to football in my book. I don't begrudge him having it as a hobby but as the article you posted said this isn't a hobby for him. What about hooking up for extra work with Roy Williams and Miles Austin and maybe more important getting even more practice in with rookie Dez Bryant?

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 11:05 AM

a player with a handicap of 0 or better. In other words, if it is a 72 par course, that player can par or better every hole. Means your pretty dam good...

WWJD
05-21-2010, 11:09 AM
See that's why I don't get golf..I don't even get the basics in that game. I understand the pars and birdies and that but darn that game has alot of rules!

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 11:10 AM
I appreciate that he isn't missing football to do it. I am just amazed if he can be at this high a level without it taking every non-mandatory football moment he has and that would be a lack of dedication to football in my book. I don't begrudge him having it as a hobby but as the article you posted said this isn't a hobby for him. What about hooking up for extra work with Roy Williams and Miles Austin and maybe more important getting even more practice in with rookie Dez Bryant?

He does this too. He spent a majority of precamp months last year throwing to Roy Williams and has done it this off season too.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/05/cowboys-roy-williams-on-relationship-with-tony-romo-this-year-were-connecting-like-joe-montana-and-jerry-rice/1

You know, last year around this time we were throwing and catching and it wasn't very good," Williams said of his rapport with Romo. "Just to be quite honest with you, we were missing balls, and bad throws and drops and all that in the offseason that carried over to the season.

"But this year, we're connecting like (Joe) Montana and (Jerry) Rice. It's night and day from last year so I know we're expecting big things for both of us."

Williams lamented earlier this offseason that he had failed to meet expectations and dropped too many passes last season.

In April

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5120465

"I have to sacrifice certain days because I'm trying things," he said. "It's a trial-and-error aspect. I have to get out there and get under the fire and do certain things to figure out if stuff is going to hold up when the games start. It's part of the offseason process that you don't see every day."

Romo worked on protecting the ball more in the pocket and reading defenses better last year. This season he's working on developing a chemistry with wide receiver Roy Williams.

Throwing with him lately, it's been as good as we've ever been lately," Romo said. "That's exciting I think. As we continue to grow and continue to go forward hopefully it will get better and better, and I expect him to have a real good year next year."

The offseason program has been a contentious topic this offseason for the Cowboys. While Williams was at Valley Ranch working out, there was another wide receiver missing.

Miles Austin, who emerged as the Cowboys' best receiving option with a team-high 1,320 yards and 11 touchdowns in a Pro Bowl season, missed nearly two weeks of the voluntary offseason program. Romo said it was just a business decision.

Austin, who is hoping to get a long-term contract, was one of several restricted free agents around the league to miss time at voluntary workouts.

Austin worked out in California during the time he missed. Still, it's important for Romo to connect with him in games, and it all starts in the offseason.

"We knew everybody was going to be in," Romo said. "We talked to everybody. We got the right kind of players and right kind of people in right now, so we know what everyone brings. To be a part of the Cowboys, you have to be committed to the approach and to want to win and get better every year, and we have a lot of guys like that right now, and that gives us a chance."

eriadoc
05-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Actually his numbers are outstanding for the years he has played. He just hasn't gotten over the hump. Probably too much press but his numbers are some of the best in the league and he has improved every year over the last 3 years.

There are QBs that put up numbers when they are surrounded by talent, and there are QBs that make the players around them better. You can be a good QB in the former category, but you cannot be great until you do the latter, IMO. Romo is in the former category, again IMO.

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 11:11 AM
See that's why I don't get golf..I don't even get the basics in that game. I understand the pars and birdies and that but darn that game has alot of rules!

Basics are simple, hit little white ball in yander hole in 4 strokes or less. It the mechanics that are a witch. Most technical game ever played. One slight adjustment of an arm or a wrist can ruin a whole round.

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 11:12 AM

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/051810dnpoblogjjt.11ef8153.html

Dude, this is a Texans board I've been a part of for 5 year.(including other board) I went to the NFL section..that is why they have one...and put an article I thought was cool out there. It could have been Schaub or any QB. I only prefaced it because people talk about commitment. You are the ones who came in making the same lame jokes, etc. I didn't respond to the jokes even. I responded to a hilarious comment about being defensive after the last 3 weeks here and Cushing. I've commited alot to the Texans talk and this board. Telling people where to post is a foolish thing to tell people when there are sections here for these issues. You don't own the board and you aren't anyone that needs to be directing people elsewhere. If you don't want to talk golf or this subject then why get snarky?We have never had an issue so is there anything else you need to tell me to do?

Someone else is just mad because people are now ignoring him and he has to keep talking. That is what Trolls do. Join a board, get into the mix right away and cause issues.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: this from someone who started name calling cause another poster disagreed with his thread. then gave the silent treatment. You gonna hold your breath and throw a tantrum next....

HOUSTONFROG: IMMATURITY LIVES HERE!

infantrycak
05-21-2010, 11:16 AM
He does this too. He spent a majority of precamp months last year throwing to Roy Williams and has done it this off season too.

I am missing where it says in either of those that this is the guys getting together on top of what the team organizes. That's what I was referring to as both Schaub and Manning scheduling to meet with their receivers outside of something their teams suggested.

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 11:21 AM
There are QBs that put up numbers when they are surrounded by talent, and there are QBs that make the players around them better. You can be a good QB in the former category, but you cannot be great until you do the latter, IMO. Romo is in the former category, again IMO.

I understand and I understand that he hasn't hit the promise land but I definitely think he makes others better. He basically had an incredible year last year and Miles Austin was the benficiary of that. TOs numbers were off the charts his first year there. Romo escapes alot of trouble and makes alot of plays. Look at Wittens numbers. His problem isn't making others better but stopping his own mistakes. He did that last year to an extent. He had over 4,400 yards and only 9 ints to 26 TDs

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13401055/romo-practices-instead-of-trying-for-pga-tour-event

"There was really no decision there. For me, it was just this is what I love to do. Why would you not choose that?" Romo said.

Romo had a tee time Monday morning in open qualifying for the Byron Nelson Championship, which begins Thursday just down the road from the team's Valley Ranch practice facility. The 18-hole round conflicted with the voluntary Cowboys workout.

"My coaches and teammates know that I would rather not do anything else than this right here," Romo said. "They know it because they see me all the time, and they know it because it really is the funnest thing that we get to do."

"All of us know Tony was here because football is first, and has been," Phillips said. "Tony has not missed anything since I've been here. ... It's not a surprise to me that he's not playing in a tournament that he had an opportunity. Really most guys with his stature and the way he's played, it probably wouldn't have hurt him certainly to miss a day here and have that opportunity. But it was up to him to do what he wanted to do, and he chose to be in practice."

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 11:25 AM
I am missing where it says in either of those that this is the guys getting together on top of what the team organizes. That's what I was referring to as both Schaub and Manning scheduling to meet with their receivers outside of something their teams suggested.

Before 2009, Romo and Williams got together all off season. That is what Williams' quote referenced. They didn't click and it was tough going. Article for 2009

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/05/19/tony-romo-eager-to-put-terrell-owens-2009-season-behind-him/

He's been working hard with Williams in the offseason to develop that bond that was missing last year. Williams said he's happy with how things are going.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/06/roy-williams-wide-receivers-were-terribl.html

Williams and Tony Romo had trouble getting on the same page, too. The most glaring instance was a play on which Williams ran a post, Romo threw a corner and S Pat Watkins made an uncontested pick.

It won't be a big deal if Kevin Ogletree, Manuel Johnson and Julian Hawkins aren't prepared. They just won't make the team if that's the case.

If Williams and Romo continue to have issues after a full off-season of trying to build a rapport, the Cowboys will have some serious problems.

Not being bad here because I was in the forefront for sticking up for Schaub since the trade for him but why is he a standard bearer here. He has had issues himself.

Romo started throwing with Dez last month...so right after he was drafted in voluntary workouts.

GlassHalfFull
05-21-2010, 11:26 AM

^^^^^This. Why start this thread here? You even put a pot stirring question in the original post. Are Fridays really that slow where you work?

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 11:26 AM
I understand and I understand that he hasn't hit the promise land but I definitely think he makes others better. He basically had an incredible year last year and Miles Austin was the benficiary of that. TOs numbers were off the charts his first year there. Romo escapes alot of trouble and makes alot of plays. Look at Wittens numbers. His problem isn't making others better but stopping his own mistakes. He did that last year to an extent. He had over 4,400 yards and only 9 ints to 26 TDs

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13401055/romo-practices-instead-of-trying-for-pga-tour-event

Just because he hasn't missed anything, doesn't say he is or is not putting in the time outside of team exercises. Like I said before, to qualify for a PGA event like he was, takes allot of time away from other things in order to play at that level, time that could have been spent working on being a far better QB than he is or has been in the past...

now if he had rolled off a couple of Super Bowls, this would be a non issue, period. But Romo has as many Super Bowls as Matt Schaub, matter of fact they are tied at 0 and has a history focus issues in the playoffs, now this...

infantrycak
05-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Before 2009, Romo and Williams got together all off season. That is what Williams' quote referenced. They didn't click and it was tough going. Article for 2009

Fair enough. For the record, I like Romo generally but he does lack that Aikman like focus.

Not being bad here because I was in the forefront for sticking up for Schaub since the trade for him but why is he a standard bearer here. He has had issues himself.

What off-season issues are those? I was only referring to his reported dedication to the game, not the results (although those were pretty darn high last year).

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 11:32 AM
^^^^^This. Why start this thread here? You even put a pot stirring question in the original post. Are Fridays really that slow where you work?

How is what I put pot stirring?It's the figging NFL section of the Texans board. For years all I've seen is Cowboy bash articles I stayed out of. When I put a golf one up that was innocent it is like moths to a flame. I said

And I'm guessing there will be comments on concentrating on football. I don't mind this at all. If this is an alternative way to get the juices flowing and he is still working hard in camps, etc, then cool by me.

If we discussed football and his work ethic normally I'd be fine. The original comments weren't. They were inflamatory b.s. that has derailed a simple thread....per usual.

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Fair enough. For the record, I like Romo generally but he does lack that Aikman like focus.

What off-season issues are those? I was only referring to his reported dedication to the game, not the results (although those were pretty darn high last year).

I love Schaub...his results were great last year. I just meant that people are acting like Romo isn't a winner or hasn't won games. He has won 2 division titles and a playoff game. I'll be the first to say he has made some bad plays and hasn't gone farther than I wanted but he is far from a guy who can't get it done. He has had only 4 full seasons and has had a pretty nice win percentage.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 11:37 AM
This stuff is funny...

Nobody worked harder on the field than Michael Irvin. Nobody. And look what he did in his spare time. Chase women and take drugs...make a total mess of his life. Got deserved criticism and most people can't stand the guy for all that.

Tony Romo plays golf and still works hard for the team and he is getting criticized.

Funny stuff!

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 11:39 AM
How is what I put pot stirring?It's the figging NFL section of the Texans board. For years all I've seen is Cowboy bash articles I stayed out of. When I put a golf one up that was innocent it is like moths to a flame. I said

If we discussed football and his work ethic normally I'd be fine. The original comments weren't. They were inflamatory b.s. that has derailed a simple thread....per usual.

Then you started to flame those who gave their OPINION about Romo's lack of focus when it came to football and outside interferences....that too per usual...

All anybody did in THIS thread was give their opinion, you didn't like it and made personal attacks, per usual....

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 11:44 AM
This stuff is funny...

Nobody worked harder on the field than Michael Irvin. Nobody. And look what he did in his spare time. Chase women and take drugs...make a total mess of his life. Got deserved criticism and most people can't stand the guy for all that.

Tony Romo plays golf and still works hard for the team and he is getting criticized.

Funny stuff!

But what is Romo criticized for? Is it not the lack of focus and seemingly lack of dedication to what happens ON the field? You cannot compare what Irvin and romo do off the field because Michael Irvin helped win Super Bowls. Had Romo won as many as Irvin, or hell 1, this is a non issue, but Romo hasn't won anything and continues to seem to lose focus come playoff time...

You want to try out for a PGA tour event, cool but prove yourself and win something before you take on an outside challenge like that. Perception is reality, they say, and the perception is Romo seems more focused on making a PGA event than winning Super Bowls...

but I'm a troll, so some say, so what do I know, right...

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 11:52 AM
I love Schaub...his results were great last year. I just meant that people are acting like Romo isn't a winner or hasn't won games. He has won 2 division titles and a playoff game. I'll be the first to say he has made some bad plays and hasn't gone farther than I wanted but he is far from a guy who can't get it done. He has had only 4 full seasons and has had a pretty nice win percentage.

And how many Super Bowl trophies has he won? 2 division titles and A playoff game? So it is safe to say that Tony Romo is a regular season champion and nothing more?

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Then you started to flame those who gave their OPINION about Romo's lack of focus when it came to football and outside interferences....that too per usual...

All anybody did in THIS thread was give their opinion, you didn't like it and made personal attacks, per usual....

I'll reference you once and leave it alone because right now you are dying for attention. In the Dez Bryant thread, 99% of people gave their opinion and you constantly called them names, yelled them down and went nuts for 20 pages. It wasn't just me. You did it to 30 other people. When people used your own words against you, you said it was all a mix up. That is your MO for EVERY thread, whether I'm in it or not. You didn't come in and give a simple opinion, you came in flame throwing and telling us that we were wrong, etc, etc. There is a difference. You flame and troll. There is nothing personal about it. I don't know you. But I know your M.O. on here and it is harsh and over the top and even when being ignored you still keep talking and flaming. Look at the page where WWJD and I were talking....non-stop one liners with "see you ladies later" afterward....yet you keep talking. It pisses people off on the board because it is alot more fun to debate and discuss like Cak and I just did than to have some over top loudmouth trying to beat his chest.

And how many Super Bowl trophies has he won? 2 division titles and A playoff game? So it is safe to say that Tony Romo is a regular season champion and nothing more?

See above paragraph. He has only played 4 full season. What has Schaub done or most other QBs not named Manning or Brady?

Read this article and you will see what I mean...I admit he hasn't produced a SB...but you can't say his numbers aren't some of the best in the last decades or that he is a loser. He is producing and has improved yearly....this was after 5 games last year

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=8372D8DF-F7DC-251B-527DA8A592C99D65

Here's the crux of this enigma: Romo has won more football games at this stage of his career than all but 11 signal callers since World War II. Yes, he hasn't won a postseason game, but this is also his third full season as the starter. Before Romo inherited the reins, the Cowboys were 43-59 since a playoff loss at Minnesota on Jan. 9, 2000.

Again, through the Week 5 victory at Kansas City, Romo is 30-14 as a regular-season starter. Let's compare those numbers with some of the legends of the gridiron.

There are 23 modern-era (since 1945) quarterbacks in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Here is each of their records as a starter through 44 regular-season games:

Otto Graham: 39-3-2
Dan Marino: 34-10
Roger Staubach: 33-11
Norm Van Brocklin: 31-11-2
John Elway: 31-13
Johnny Unitas: 29-15
Terry Bradshaw: 27-17
Bob Waterfield: 26-16-2
George Blanda: 26-17-1 (NOTE: Blanda was also a kicker)
Len Dawson: 24-19-1
Joe Montana: 24-20
Joe Namath: 22-18-4
Jim Kelly: 22-22
Bart Starr: 21-22-1
Y.A. Tittle: 20-24
Bob Griese: 19-23-2
Troy Aikman: 19-25
Steve Young: 19-25 (after a 12-23 start, Young finished his career 82-26)
Bobby Layne: 17-25-2
Sonny Jurgensen: 17-25-2
Dan Fouts: 13-30-1
Fran Tarkenton: 12-30-2
Warren Moon: 11-33

For the record, Don Meredith's record through 44 games was 18-23-3.

However, these accomplishments aren't being celebrated, not in the least. Rather, Romo has become the center point of a frustrated fan base ready to claim another Super Bowl, or at the least, the first postseason win since Dec. 28, 1996. And while there's certainly nothing wrong with "America's Team" being held to higher expectations, is there any doubt that Romo offers the franchise's best chance at immediate and long-term success?

Even this season, as of Week 5, only Peyton Manning had won more games and thrown for more yards than Romo. Again, that's just this season, and yet Romo has been ripped at every turn, not only by the media and fans, but by ex-Dallas players like Tony Dorsett and Emmitt Smith. Others have come to Romo's defense, teammates especially, as well as former Cowboys Aikman, Staubach and Michael Irvin, who said this summer, "To be talking about getting rid of Tony is absolutely ridiculous. Can we get Drew Bledsoe out there for just a week so you guys can really fall back in love with Tony?"

Romo's 93.8 career passer rating (minimum 1,400 attempts) is third on the all-time list, above such icons as Brady, Montana, Marino and double-digits higher than Staubach or Aikman. Now, no one is claiming the QB rating is the end-all of statistics, and obviously it's skewed to the current passing scope, as Staubach ranked second behind just Graham at 83.4 when he retired following the 1979 campaign. "Captain Comeback" now ranks 28th.

Romo leads all active NFL quarterbacks in yards per completion (12.8), passing touchdown percentage (5.9) and net yards per pass attempt (7.40).

He has 18 career 300-yard games in 44 starts, or four fewer than White (10), Meredith (7) and Staubach (5) combined. And the Cowboys are 15-3 in those starts. Romo has also registered a passer rating higher than 100.0 an incredible 24 times.

And these accomplishments have come at the start of his career, when most quarterbacks are developing. Through Bradshaw's first 44 starts, despite 27 wins, he threw 41 touchdown passes against 73 interceptions while completing less than 50 percent of his passes. Even Aikman didn't really emerge as a top-tier starter until his fourth season.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 11:57 AM
The whole lack of focus stuff is from the Cabo incident. Which he shouldn't have done..I use to think eh no big deal..but have since thought he probably should have stayed in Dallas. Witten was there. Got no criticism. Carpenter was there. Got no criticism. Tony took the brunt of all that.

I don't find him playing golf on his own time with his coach's blessing anything that will harm him in September when they start playing. I just don't get that. He does everything they ask of him. For the team. Wade said he's always here working. Roy Williams said the same thing.

This is funny to me. He's pretty much a damned if he does, damned if he doesn't to some. Guess it comes with the territory. But it's message board fodder I guess. Tony just keeps golfing!

NitroGSXR
05-21-2010, 11:57 AM

I don't know about that. I kinda see Romo getting a divot with his putter on the 18th.

infantrycak
05-21-2010, 11:58 AM
This stuff is funny...

Funny stuff!

Irvin had some off the field issues but that doesn't mean he wasn't working extra a ton because he was. After the first SB win he Aikman and Smith had an off-season competition on who could get in the best shape and the lowest body fat %. Irvin won. Again I will reiterate, I don't begrudge golf and relaxation time a bit. Knock yourself out, you have earned it. But the dedication it takes to get to this level of golf is huge (really can't see it being less than 30 hours a week) and I am concerned some of that time would be better spent on football. Golf is something he can pursue full time when he is 35 and his NFL career is over. And I say that as someone concerned about the team rather than just trying to be critical.

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 12:00 PM
I'll reference you once and leave it alone because right now you are dying for attention. In the Dez Bryant thread, 99% of people gave their opinion and you constantly called them names, yelled them down and went nuts for 20 pages. It wasn't just me. You did it to 30 other people. When people used your own words against you, you said it was all a mix up. That is your MO for EVERY thread, whether I'm in it or not. You didn't come in and give a simple opinion, you came in flame throwing and telling us that we were wrong, etc, etc. There is a difference. You flame and troll. There is nothing personal about it. I don't know you. But I know your M.O. on here and it is harsh and over the top and even when being ignored you still keep talking and flaming. Look at the page where WWJD and I were talking....non-stop one liners with "see you ladies later" afterward....yet you keep talking. It pisses people off on the board because it is alot more fun to debate and discuss like Cak and I just did than to have some over top loudmouth trying to beat his chest.

WOW couldn't be more wrong if you tried. but that is YOUR opinion and I won't stoop to your level. I wasn't the first to call folks names on that thread, actually you were but if you want to forget that, ok.

Really? So the bold is not putting words in my mouth? Where did I say you were WRONG? Don't recall even typing that, have to go back and look where I said that or could that be you twisting words again?

I came on here and stated the EXACT same thing Cak did right behind me, questioning Romo's lack of focus. You didn't like it and played the TROLL card, the Cushing is a juicer card. That's cool. You showed your true colors and have many times over. you don't like when other disagree with you and resort to childish name calling.

You want to ignore me, cool don't give a damn, childish but wouldn't expect less. I am still gonna give my feed back and opinion, like it or not.

so :zipit: and live with it....not like your opinion matters....

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 12:06 PM

See above paragraph. He has only played 4 full season. What has Schaub done or most other QBs not named Manning or Brady?

Read this article and you will see what I mean...I admit he hasn't produced a SB...but you can't say his numbers aren't some of the best in the last decades or that he is a loser. He is producing and has improved yearly....this was after 5 games last year

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=8372D8DF-F7DC-251B-527DA8A592C99D65

However, these accomplishments aren't being celebrated, not in the least. Rather, Romo has become the center point of a frustrated fan base ready to claim another Super Bowl, or at the least, the first postseason win since Dec. 28, 1996. And while there's certainly nothing wrong with "America's Team" being held to higher expectations, is there any doubt that Romo offers the franchise's best chance at immediate and long-term success?

:listening Stay on topic, never said anything or questioned about his number. His numbers are great, BUT does he not have a problem with lack of focus when it comes to big games? simple question

WWJD
05-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Irvin had some off the field issues but that doesn't mean he wasn't working extra a ton because he was. After the first SB win he Aikman and Smith had an off-season competition on who could get in the best shape and the lowest body fat %. Irvin won. Again I will reiterate, I don't begrudge golf and relaxation time a bit. Knock yourself out, you have earned it. But the dedication it takes to get to this level of golf is huge (really can't see it being less than 30 hours a week) and I am concerned some of that time would be better spent on football. Golf is something he can pursue full time when he is 35 and his NFL career is over. And I say that as someone concerned about the team rather than just trying to be critical.

Like I said he's damned if he does..damned if he doesn't. But to each his own!

I use to see Mike out at the Cowboy Cafe all the time...surely not thinking about football...nice nice guy. Just a free spirit shall we say? I hope he's true to his lovely wife and family. They deserved far better than what they got from him in those years!

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 12:10 PM
The whole lack of focus stuff is from the Cabo incident. Which he shouldn't have done..I use to think eh no big deal..but have since thought he probably should have stayed in Dallas. Witten was there. Got no criticism. Carpenter was there. Got no criticism. Tony took the brunt of all that.

I don't find him playing golf on his own time with his coach's blessing anything that will harm him in September when they start playing. I just don't get that. He does everything they ask of him. For the team. Wade said he's always here working. Roy Williams said the same thing.

This is funny to me. He's pretty much a damned if he does, damned if he doesn't to some. Guess it comes with the territory. But it's message board fodder I guess. Tony just keeps golfing!

Not to mention the botched, perfect snap, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yh1DyvTuDA&feature=related

horrible ints in crucial situations, although Texans Qb does that as well...

I'm not just saying this to "troll" as one would say, experts that cover the Cowboys say the same thing and most likely saying it now about the golf thing.

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 12:13 PM
WOW couldn't be more wrong if you tried. but that is YOUR opinion and I won't stoop to your level. I wasn't the first to call folks names on that thread, actually you were but if you want to forget that, ok.

I came on here and stated the EXACT same thing Cak did right behind me, questioning Romo's lack of focus. You didn't like it and played the TROLL card, the Cushing is a juicer card. That's cool. You showed your true colors and have many times over. you don't like when other disagree with you and resort to childish name calling.

You want to ignore me, cool don't give a damn, childish but wouldn't expect less. I am still gonna give my feed back and opinion, like it or not.

so :zipit: and live with it....not like your opinion matters....

I showed you in that thread how you started calling people names and then you told me I had too much time on my hands and started calling more names. Again, this is your MO. You are doing it again right now. There is a huge difference between Cak and you and how you approach it.

If I don't matter, why do you keep talking, even when not responding to you?

:listening Stay on topic, never said anything or questioned about his number. His numbers are great, BUT does he not have a problem with lack of focus when it comes to big games? simple question

Look at your smilie here. MO dude. It is a constant assault with you. Please stop. You really don't get or see it despite alot of people telling it to you. It's like you can't help yourself.

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 12:18 PM

I think the amount of time spent on stuff is large for alot of offseason athletes. We just don't get their coverage. If it helps him recharge for the next season and each season keeps getting better than I don't see the harm. If his stats went down and he wasn't working, I'd be worried. He even gets to the pure voluntary workouts. I don't think his work has ever been an issue as much as his decision making in games. And I've been pretty harsh on him in the past. But alot of it was his 10 cent brain in big games compared to making the smart play in other games. I always used the 08 Ravens game as an example. But I think last off season he started to "get it" more. Alot of top stat QBs don't win SBs. Hoepfully he can get beyond a few games and get them into the fire.

StarStruck
05-21-2010, 12:18 PM
How many of us can truly say that we spend the same amount of time in perfecting our professions as we wish to see in others? I don't think a person has to be in a multi-million dollar field to be principle driven in utilizing our time in quest of person greatness.

Starting with me, I personally like a little time away from the pursuit to excellence, as in now.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Actually no..it's not a big deal in Cowboy land. I stream the Ticket..they didn't even mention Tony playing. They were talking about some 16 year old playing in the Byron Nelson and doing very well. Tony didn't come up while I was listening. Oh and the Rangers are in first by 4 games. For the weekend anyway.

The Cabo thing was discussed into the ground. Most people ragged on him mercilessly. I felt sorry for him at the time and like I said thought it was no big deal. As time has passed though I changed my mind..it would have been in his best interest and the teams to not have gone. But that's water under the bridge now and to be honest I don't even know what Tony has ever really said about that.

I quit streaming at noon for work purposes so who knows what they are saying now...

all I can say is to me it's not a big deal. I don't think it hurts him. I think it's kind of cool that he is such a good golfer. If he was doing this between games I'd worry about him.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 12:21 PM
How many of us can truly say that we spend the same amount of time in perfecting our professions as we wish to see in others? I don't think a person has to be in a multi-million dollar field to be principle driven in utilizing our time in quest of person greatness.

Starting with me, I personally like a little time away from the pursuit to excellence, as in now.

I don't...I set out to do a bad job and I succeed in that almost on a daily basis! :)

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 12:21 PM
I showed you in that thread how you started calling people names and then you told me I had too much time on my hands and started calling more names. Again, this is your MO. You are doing it again right now. There is a huge difference between Cak and you and how you approach it.

If I don't matter, why do you keep talking, even when not responding to you?

Look at your smilie here. MO dude. It is a constant assault with you. Please stop. You really don't get or see it despite alot of people telling it to you. It's like you can't help yourself.

just like your MO is to flame folks that disagree with you? Hm here is your post from the DEZ Bryant thread. Did you not call me "dense?" for my opinion? Didn't say anything about anyone UNTIL YOU flamed me first...Proof is right there for the world to see...

Those are b.s. questions but nothing like "hey is your mom a ho bag that slept with people for money." There had already been stories written about all of this. Give me a break. You are making up a reason for asking it. You are assuming it was to get a reaction when he could have just asked it because there are questions as to how screwed up his home life was. Ones that others could have answered. Just because there were two other out of bounds questions doesn't make this one right. And to call out Bryant...who basically did nothing wrong in this process is just dense. The problem is these interviews have become more than learning about a kid, they have become embarassing interrogations just for fun. At a real job they would be fired if they asked about things like their nationality, religion, age, race, sex, etc. So why is the NFL allowed to bring up race, family history, etc. You can't use the perspective employer excuse when they don't follow any set rules.

and did you not call me a troll on this thread for questioning Romo's lack of focus, same thing Cak did? Again MO to flame those who disagree.

I'll attack if being attacked and once you made that comment, gloves came off but like I said, you just happened to leave that part out...per usual as you say. don't start nuttin, won't be nuttin....

Defense rests.....

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Actually no..it's not a big deal in Cowboy land. I stream the Ticket..they didn't even mention Tony playing. They were talking about some 16 year old playing in the Byron Nelson and doing very well. Tony didn't come up while I was listening. Oh and the Rangers are in first by 4 games. For the weekend anyway.

The Cabo thing was discussed into the ground. Most people ragged on him mercilessly. I felt sorry for him at the time and like I said thought it was no big deal. As time has passed though I changed my mind..it would have been in his best interest and the teams to not have gone. But that's water under the bridge now and to be honest I don't even know what Tony has ever really said about that.

I quit streaming at noon for work purposes so who knows what they are saying now...

all I can say is to me it's not a big deal. I don't think it hurts him. I think it's kind of cool that he is such a good golfer. If he was doing this between games I'd worry about him.

JJT is pretty critical of Romo and the Boys...why I love him...he isn't afraid of Jerry....and he sees nothing wrong in it

Should Tony Romo have played in the Nelson qualifier today?

It wouldn't have bothered me at all if Romo had played. After all, we're talking about missing a practice - the players wore helmets and shoulder pads - more than two months before training camp begins.

In the big picture, OTA practices aren't that big a deal. Did you forget they're voluntary?

But Romo understands he could never miss an OTA practice because he's playing golf. Fans just wouldn't understand.

The same fans who skip work to take in the NCAA Tournament and the same fans who call in sick on baseball's opening day would never forgive Romo for spending one day playing in a golf tournament. How sad.

For some reason, there's a perception that football isn't important to Romo.

That's just silly.

He improves virtually every year, an indication he's working hard in he off-season. Wade Phillips said Monday that Romo has never missed anything work-related during his three seasons.

The reality, however, is that some of you will never forget the time he spent in Cabo before the playoff loss to the Giants a few years ago.

It was a bad decision, but that was a while ago. At what point does it become part of the past?

Romo is working as hard as he can to win a Super Bowl. One afternoon of golf wouldn't have changed that.

StarStruck
05-21-2010, 12:25 PM
JJT is one of my favorites.

The1ApplePie
05-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Glad to see I am not the only Cowboys & Texans fan on this board.

Romo will be fine.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Glad to see I am not the only Cowboys & Texans fan on this board.

Romo will be fine.

as long as he doesn't make 100K bets like Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley would do on the links..or maybe that was at the poker table.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 12:36 PM
JJT is pretty critical of Romo and the Boys...why I love him...he isn't afraid of Jerry....and he sees nothing wrong in it

I like him as well. I liked all the Metro sportswriters except Skippy Bayless! Did a happy dance when he left.

and darn if he didn't go off and get a bigger more high profile gig!

I like John McClain! I got bashed for that once on here. RJ I can do without.

NitroGSXR
05-21-2010, 12:41 PM
I like him as well. I liked all the Metro sportswriters except Skippy Bayless! Did a happy dance when he left.

:spit:

And WWJD's credibility just plummeted.

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 12:46 PM
JJT is one of my favorites.

Big time. Alot of people in the metroplex won't call out the team or Jerry and JJT will. He has for the last few years. I love that. He catches alot of grief but he will tell it like it is.

Yeah most of the DMN people are good.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 12:48 PM
:spit:

And WWJD's credibility just plummeted.

I had none! So no worries...:runaway:

I have kept my McClain "fandom" in the closet till now...and look what happened!

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 12:50 PM
I had none! So no worries...:runaway:

I have kept my McClain "fandom" in the closet till now...and look what happened!

You've expressed it before but it was ignored:cutthroat:

WWJD
05-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Big time. Alot of people in the metroplex won't call out the team or Jerry and JJT will. He has for the last few years. I love that. He catches alot of grief but he will tell it like it is.

Yeah most of the DMN people are good.

Well Jerry hems and haws so much and doesn't even give the guys he likes good interviews. I can't make out most of the time what he's saying! Like a politician...:)

WWJD
05-21-2010, 12:54 PM
You've expressed it before but it was ignored:cutthroat:

Yea poor John. And poor me! He really is a very nice man but maybe that doesn't translate well to the columns. I never got the John hate.

He does his weekly chats. Like those. I get the RJ hate round here. I think he just says that stuff to rile people. I don't even believe that he believes what he writes!

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Well Jerry hems and haws so much and doesn't even give the guys he likes good interviews. I can't make out most of the time what he's saying! Like a politician...:)

Well remember Dale Hensen was critical of them and he lost his job on the radio...Sham and he were incredible....and they shut him out of interviews when he made comments about Switzer and Aikman.

Yea poor John. And poor me! He really is a very nice man but maybe that doesn't translate well to the columns. I never got the John hate.

He does his weekly chats. Like those. I get the RJ hate round here. I think he just says that stuff to rile people. I don't even believe that he believes what he writes!

My dislike for John is an attitude change. He used to be this teddy bear type guy that told some awesome stories and who actually had relevant NFL scoop. I remember only enjoying 610 when he was on. Then the game kind of passed him by and people started doubting his work. He became overly defensive and kind of rude at times. He also became the ultimate homer. It just became him regurgitating the same speech over and over.

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Golf rankings of athletes....I'd play too if I was this good

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2009-11/topathletegolfer_rankings

1. Tony Romo plus-3.3 Cowboys QB won two tournaments and finished second in another during the off-season. Romo shot 71-69 to win the Will County Amateur in Crete, Ill., in April, and partnered with PGA pro Mark Walker to win the Northern Texas PGA Pro-Scratch Championship. In July, Romo finished second to Rick Rhoden at the American Century Championship in Lake Tahoe. Because Romo doesn't update his golf handicap, we took his tournament scores from 2008 and '09, plugged them into a handicap calculator and came up with plus-3.3. We're confident Romo is a deserving No. 1.
More photos and articles on Tony Romo
Swing sequence: Tony Romo

WWJD
05-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Well remember Dale Hensen was critical of them and he lost his job on the radio...Sham and he were incredible....and they shut him out of interviews when he made comments about Switzer and Aikman.

My dislike for John is an attitude change. He used to be this teddy bear type guy that told some awesome stories and who actually had relevant NFL scoop. I remember only enjoying 610 when he was on. Then the game kind of passed him by and people started doubting his work. He became overly defensive and kind of rude at times. He also became the ultimate homer. It just became him regurgitating the same speech over and over.

He had a great story the other day that I had never heard. One of the Oilers players (I hope I tell this right..memory retention is poor!) was thought to be doping and John asked him a question about him failing a test and the player told him if he wrote that he'd kill him! And he said the guy wasn't playing! He never did write the story and the guy was found to be completely clean but anyway he has alot of those old stories that I enjoy hearing.

I actually think he knows much he never writes. You know the "off the record" stuff. Most criticism I see of him is that he is clueless. That's my excuse for him anyway!

I want to see a NFL writer write a book with all the "off the record" stuff. I'd love to read that!

WWJD
05-21-2010, 01:08 PM

Boo hiss! Go John....seriously his style has changed. Perhaps to keep his job maybe?

I like Dale Hansen. Jerry fired Brad for awhile remember cause he was critical of the Cowboys (or him?) in some way remember? Then he came back. Marc Vandemeer is a big Sham fan.

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Boo hiss! Go John....seriously his style has changed. Perhaps to keep his job maybe?

I like Dale Hansen. Jerry fired Brad for awhile remember cause he was critical of the Cowboys (or him?) in some way remember? Then he came back. Marc Vandemeer is a big Sham fan.

Yeah, that was dumb. Sham is hands down one of, if not the best, in the industry.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 01:18 PM
The Cowboys have had alot of great announcers. Verne, Brad, Dale.

Marc and Andre are establishing a tradition for the Texans. Long time announcers at this stage. Andre is very good. I like him on college games on television. He's very bright. Very well spoken.

infantrycak
05-21-2010, 01:46 PM

This is me piecing together so fwiw. McCain was the NFL writer when the Texans started up. He loved that gig and he has lots of contacts around the league and especially with the Cowboys and Titans so he could write with a fair amount of inside information. The first shift happened when the Chronicle made him the Texans writer and limited his NFL role. Less traveling to whatever games he wanted to go to and less ability to use his NFL wide contacts. Now Casserly stepped up and gave him some inside information and the Texans under Capers were not a closed door to the press so he still got to have lots of stories that included "sources inside the Texans" in his articles. Then Kubiak comes to town and he has a closed door policy (which may have been exacerbated by all the local press excoriating him for the Mario pick) and now he and Justice are just guys with their own opinions and no inside info. Problem is he is a reporter, not an analyst. I think the combination of being forced to stick with the Texans and being locked out by the Texans has made him surly.

BullNation4Life
05-21-2010, 01:51 PM
This is me piecing together so fwiw. McCain was the NFL writer when the Texans started up. He loved that gig and he has lots of contacts around the league and especially with the Cowboys and Titans so he could write with a fair amount of inside information. The first shift happened when the Chronicle made him the Texans writer and limited his NFL role. Less traveling to whatever games he wanted to go to and less ability to use his NFL wide contacts. Now Casserly stepped up and gave him some inside information and the Texans under Capers were not a closed door to the press so he still got to have lots of stories that included "sources inside the Texans" in his articles. Then Kubiak comes to town and he has a closed door policy (which may have been exacerbated by all the local press excoriating him for the Mario pick) and now he and Justice are just guys with their own opinions and no inside info. Problem is he is a reporter, not an analyst. I think the combination of being forced to stick with the Texans and being locked out by the Texans has made him surly.

http://assets3.likeme.net/44495/large/mcclain_john2.jpg.jpg

"I Like Pigtails!"

HoustonFrog
05-21-2010, 01:58 PM

Makes alot of sense. I was going to ask someone that....about going from NFL beatwriter to covering one team. He is definitely not a Xs and Os guy so when asked about the tean he seems to just regurgitate something he was told and then stick with it, no matter other thoughts.

StarStruck
05-21-2010, 02:02 PM

He is a very nice guy. A couple of years ago a young man, Jason Jenkins, who is doing well in the sports media was being honored by his former high school. McClain really wrote an very complimentary letter of recommendation, and went on to write a very nice column about him.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 02:03 PM

He definitely doesn't have the inside information he use to get and he mentions that quite often in his chats. He will say that the Texans don't talk about this or they don't talk about that..that sort of statement. He has tons of Oilers stories though..on and off record. Perhaps he will write a book one day about that. I know that's been done but there are still people here in town that cherish those memories. And the old Oiler players still turn up on the radio or at functions. John really knew that team well.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 02:04 PM
He is a very nice guy. A couple of years ago a young man, Jason Jenkins, who is doing well in the sports media was being honored by his former high school. McClain really wrote an very complimentary letter of recommendation, and went on to write a very nice column about him.

That's a nice story SS. I am not familiar with Jason..who is he?

NitroGSXR
05-21-2010, 02:15 PM

Absolutely a nice guy with a good heart... Doesn't help his reporting skills much though.

StarStruck
05-21-2010, 02:31 PM
That's a nice story SS. I am not familiar with Jason..who is he?

Jason is a Houston native who is doing quite well in the sports industry. He has a reputation as a very hard worker, and establishing himself in media relations.

He was a part of the 49er organization when he received the honor, and actually donated a signed Alex Smith jersey that I ended up winning at the silent auction. I still have high hopes that it will be valuable one day, although I really wish it had be a Gore jersey instead, lol.

This is a little background info about him. Jason JenkinsDirector of Media Relations at Miami Dolphins
Current Director of Media Relations at Miami Dolphins
Past Director of PR Operations at San Francisco 49ers
Assistant Public Relations Director at San Francisco 49ers
Associate Athletics Director at Texas Southern University
Athletic Sales and Promotions Manager at Lehigh University
Assistant to the Director for Athletic Community Relations and Academic Support Services at Texas Tech University
Education Texas Tech University

WWJD
05-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Jason is a Houston native who is doing quite well in the sports industry. He has a reputation as a very hard worker, and establishing himself in media relations.

He was a part of the 49er organization when he received the honor, and actually donated a signed Alex Smith jersey that I ended up winning at the silent auction. I still have high hopes that it will be valuable one day, although I really wish it had be a Gore jersey instead, lol.

This is a little background info about him. Jason JenkinsDirector of Media Relations at Miami Dolphins
Current Director of Media Relations at Miami Dolphins
Past Director of PR Operations at San Francisco 49ers
Assistant Public Relations Director at San Francisco 49ers
Associate Athletics Director at Texas Southern University
Athletic Sales and Promotions Manager at Lehigh University
Assistant to the Director for Athletic Community Relations and Academic Support Services at Texas Tech University
Education Texas Tech University

Very cool..thanks. Sounds like a very accomplished young man. Always nice to see a local guy do well for himself nationally. SheTexan might know of him..she's a Niners gal.

That was nice of John to help him out!

Mr teX
05-21-2010, 03:05 PM
ummmm, who cares?

Speedy
05-21-2010, 06:35 PM
So what if it's on his own time. Peyton, Schaub, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, etc. spend lots of their own time studying film to get better at football. Sure he can do what he wants with his off time, but he isn't showing the same dedication.

Riiiight....So you mean Peyton's studying film, dedicating himself to making himself better in his spare time......errr...when he isn't Hollywooding it up with his boat load of commercials that is.

infantrycak
05-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Riiiight....So you mean Peyton's studying film, dedicating himself to making himself better in his spare time......errr...when he isn't Hollywooding it up with his boat load of commercials that is.

Look this isn't a binary system where someone either does nothing but football or nothing more than the team asks. Everyone has some non-football related activities. But yes, it is very well documented that Manning spends all sorts of time on top of what the team requires of him to be the best he can be. Ray Lewis has the Ravens make extra DVD's for him to study at home and frequently gets together with Ed Reed to study them. Schaub also is reported to be a film hound and organizes throwing sessions with the WR's and TE's. If you're suggesting Manning is a bare minimum contact because he does some commercials you are incorrect.

gary
05-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Do the Cowboys have a problem with this? Afterall, that is all that matters.

WWJD
05-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Do the Cowboys have a problem with this? Afterall, that is all that matters.

No. Wade said Tony has never missed a single team organized OTA, meeting, nothing. It's a non-issue with the team.

gary
05-22-2010, 11:35 AM
No. Wade said Tony has never missed a single team organized OTA, meeting, nothing. It's a non-issue with the team.Then, why should I care? Case closed.

SheTexan
05-22-2010, 11:49 AM

I respect your opinion! I hope Romo plays golf until his balls fall off! (sorry, couldn't resist:)) after all, we play them twice this year. Keep on puttin Romo!!!

gary
05-22-2010, 12:06 PM
That darn Romo now the Cowboys will go 1-15 because he is so busy out playing golf. Fire his butt now.

Dutchrudder
05-22-2010, 12:20 PM
That darn Romo now the Cowboys will go 1-15 because he is so busy out playing golf. Fire his butt now.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that they would go 1-15, but if you remember last year, they did have a rough start. It may have had something to do with a lack of dedication by Romo leading up to the season, or it could have nothing to do with it at all. This whole mess is complete speculation, but as a Texan fan, I'm happy for the Cowboys to get all the distractions possible.

Speedy
05-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Look this isn't a binary system where someone either does nothing but football or nothing more than the team asks. Everyone has some non-football related activities. But yes, it is very well documented that Manning spends all sorts of time on top of what the team requires of him to be the best he can be. Ray Lewis has the Ravens make extra DVD's for him to study at home and frequently gets together with Ed Reed to study them. Schaub also is reported to be a film hound and organizes throwing sessions with the WR's and TE's. If you're suggesting Manning is a bare minimum contact because he does some commercials you are incorrect.

And just because it's not "documented" for others who YOU don't think are putting the time in because it's not reported, doesn't mean they aren't putting that time in. YOU don't KNOW what any of these guys do, other than what gets reported somewhere.

And I'm not suggesting anything about Manning other than he's not football 24/7 like you seem to imply and that Romo doesn't give a crap because he plays golf. Why is making commercials for Manning any different than Romo playing golf? Because somebody doesn't report that Manning's off to New York again to film a commercial every time he does? Hell, Manning probably makes commercials in-season.

But Romo has a hobby, apparently one he's pretty damn good at, and it gets reported that he's in fact so good he's trying to make the U.S. Open, IN HIS SPARE TIME, and you've got him automatically not giving a crap about football. That's a very bad assumption on your part.

infantrycak
05-22-2010, 03:00 PM
And just because it's not "documented" for others who YOU don't think are putting the time in because it's not reported, doesn't mean they aren't putting that time in. YOU don't KNOW what any of these guys do, other than what gets reported somewhere.

And I'm not suggesting anything about Manning other than he's not football 24/7 like you seem to imply and that Romo doesn't give a crap because he plays golf. Why is making commercials for Manning any different than Romo playing golf? Because somebody doesn't report that Manning's off to New York again to film a commercial every time he does? Hell, Manning probably makes commercials in-season.

But Romo has a hobby, apparently one he's pretty damn good at, and it gets reported that he's in fact so good he's trying to make the U.S. Open, IN HIS SPARE TIME, and you've got him automatically not giving a crap about football. That's a very bad assumption on your part.

Spare me all the BS hyperbole and characterizations of me alleging Romo doesn't give a crap. Apparently your reading comprehension is very poor or you haven't bothered to read this thread and just decided to go off. But let's try spelling this out painfully clearly.

1) I am sure every player has non-football related relaxation/money making activities and that's fine.
2) Nothing has been said about others, the topic is Romo who has been documented to be competing at a US Open level of play.
3) US Open level of play is not hobby level. This isn't someone catching a couple rounds every once in a while. We are talking bare minimum 4 rounds of golf plus range time (30+ hours per week) - a virtually full time commitment. And it isn't just an off-season activity either. You can't take a 20 week break off for football and stay at that level.

So yes I question his priorities making that much of a commitment to what is not his primary career. One that pays him tens of millions of dollars. Friggin' people around here question Amobi Okoye's commitment for taking a trip to Africa for a couple weeks each year. This is hugely more time consuming.

HoustonFrog
05-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Spare me all the BS hyperbole and characterizations of me alleging Romo doesn't give a crap. Apparently your reading comprehension is very poor or you haven't bothered to read this thread and just decided to go off. But let's try spelling this out painfully clearly.

1) I am sure every player has non-football related relaxation/money making activities and that's fine.
2) Nothing has been said about others, the topic is Romo who has been documented to be competing at a US Open level of play.
3) US Open level of play is not hobby level. This isn't someone catching a couple rounds every once in a while. We are talking bare minimum 4 rounds of golf plus range time (30+ hours per week) - a virtually full time commitment. And it isn't just an off-season activity either. You can't take a 20 week break off for football and stay at that level.

So yes I question his priorities making that much of a commitment to what is not his primary career. One that pays him tens of millions of dollars. Friggin' people around here question Amobi Okoye's commitment for taking a trip to Africa for a couple weeks each year. This is hugely more time consuming.

The bolded is where I completely disagree. In one of the articles I cited in Golf.com it plainly states that athletes like Romo play 6 months on and 6 months (or the season and preseason/camps) off.(cited below) It is why they said his game usually is at its peak around this time...because he has gotten a chance to practice the small things. Considering the NFL practice week...team and position meetings, practices, films and games, there is no way he has time NOT to commit. Both Wade and others quoted said he has never put football on the backburner for golf. Your making an assumption with that comment. It also has said in other quotes that he has done off season work with players. so he adds that in with golf.

For football players who play golf, the biggest problem is they play six months on and six months off. Lots of golf during the off-season and little or no golf during the season. That means that a football player like Romo can't practice his short game the way professional golfers do

I'm not close to Romo's level...I can shoot anywhere from low 80s to low 90s. I rarely get to play but the last 3 years have played 5-6 days straight in Flagstaff. By the 5th or 6th round my swing is usually pretty good and my scores have gotten normal. Not great on chipping, etc where you need more work. But I'm not hacking. This is the same thing I've read here. He works and plays all off season to get to where he is trying to qualify every year at his peak. Then he takes the time off and has to start from scratch with the exception of off weeks probably.

Just my take.

gg no re
05-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Can we not overlook the fact that we are on the verge of being graced by the presence of the greatest two-sport athlete ever since Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson?

beerlover
05-23-2010, 03:43 AM
I think he should quit football so he can concentrate fully on golf :ahhaha:

infantrycak
05-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Your making an assumption with that comment.

Maybe he is some kind of savant but I am not making an assumption. That is based on knowing very good golfers who dedicate tons of time and still don't approach his level of play. But enough with this. It is what it is. In the end we will see if he retires with rings on his fingers. I don't think any credible argument can be made that he is as dedicated as Aikman was.

StarStruck
05-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Maybe he is some kind of savant but I am not making an assumption. That is based on knowing very good golfers who dedicate tons of time and still don't approach his level of play. But enough with this. It is what it is. In the end we will see if he retires with rings on his fingers. I don't think any credible argument can be made that he is as dedicated as Aikman was.

If I recall correctly, I do, Aikman was excellent in keeping folks out of his business. I remember a few late night interviews when he would be switch into being the interviewer when questions ventured over into his personal life.

I really hope that Tony ends up with some rings on his fingers before he retires. It certainly couldn't happen for a nicer guy.

WWJD
05-23-2010, 11:25 AM
If I recall correctly, I do, Aikman was excellent in keeping folks out of his business. I remember a few late night interviews when he would be switch into being the interviewer when questions ventured over into his personal life.

I really hope that Tony ends up with some rings on his fingers before he retires. It certainly couldn't happen for a nicer guy.

Correct. Troy was a very private person.

BullNation4Life
05-24-2010, 04:41 PM

I doubt he is any kind of savant when it comes to golf. I could more than venture to guess he put in some serious hours on the practice tees and course for this. To me, if you haven't won anything in the NFL, save that kind of stuff for when you retire. He will still most likely be in his mid to late 30's to try and achieve that goal.

Instead, put all that time into football and being the best QB not named Aikman, you can be. Like I had said before, had Romo already won rings and wanted to do this, man do whatcha like, but this, from an outsiders point of view, screams lack of focus and dedication...

BullNation4Life
05-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Correct. Troy was a very private person.

To the point many thought he was gay because he was so closed off. Many thought he was hiding something. What kinda crap is that?

WWJD
05-24-2010, 06:32 PM
To the point many thought he was gay because he was so closed off. Many thought he was hiding something. What kinda crap is that?

Troy was just a quiet guy..he even moved his college buddies to Dallas to surround himself with guys he could trust and who he knew well. He was far from gay..Skip Bayless is the one that started all that nonsense.

Troy has exceeded my expectations off the field. I knew he was a bright accomplished guy but he's a mega businessman now. Smart guy.

StarStruck
05-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Troy was just a quiet guy..he even moved his college buddies to Dallas to surround himself with guys he could trust and who he knew well. He was far from gay..Skip Bayless is the one that started all that nonsense.

Troy has exceeded my expectations off the field. I knew he was a bright accomplished guy but he's a mega businessman now. Smart guy.

OMG I remember some of my former co-workers who ran with the Troy is Gay story because their wives said since he wasn't married by 25 he had to be gay. Troy didn't live his life by the committee of they instead did exactly what he wanted to and when.

He is very low key though. I remember walking out of the parking lot a couple of years ago, and suddenly a large group of people gathered around this SUV and started taking pictures. It was Troy leaving the game he was commentating. While waiting for the traffic to clear to enter the access road, he just sat there, smiled and waved. He was alone and driving.

I know that you remember that he waited until the last day of Irvin's trial to show up. I think when he walked in verdict was decided.

HoustonFrog
06-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Update...he shot a 71 today and is 4 back of some other ex pros

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/golf/news/story?id=5260604

THE WOODLANDS, Texas -- Tony Romo shot a 71 for the first 18 holes of his bid to qualify for the U.S. Open.

The Dallas Cowboys quarterback plays 18 more holes Monday afternoon in a 36-hole sectional qualifier at The Club at Carlton Woods, just north of Houston. If he finishes in the top two of the 36-man field, he'll earn a spot in next week's U.S. Open at Pebble Beach Golf Links.

Casey Clendenon, a former U.S. Amateur semifinalist, shot a 5 under 67 to lead the first round of qualifying. Craig Kanada, Roland Thatcher -- both of whom have spent time on the PGA Tour, joined A.J. Elgert at 4 under, with Robert Gates, Bob Estes and Will Dodson at 3 under. A dozen players, including Romo, broke par, including former PGA Championship winner Steve Elkington, who shot 70.

The United States Golf Association says Romo would become the fourth athlete from a professional team sport to qualify for the U.S. Open. He would join a group that includes former San Francisco 49ers quarterback John Brodie (1959, '81), former New York Yankees outfielder Sam Byrd (1938-41, 46-47, 1949-51) and former NHL player Bill Ezinicki (1947, '52, '56, '60-61, 63-64, 67-68).

The star quarterback drew a crowd of about 20 fans as he hit balls on the practice range a half-hour before his tee time. A few of them wore Cowboys hats and shirts and one 11-year-old boy wore a blue Romo jersey.

Romo got polite applause when he was introduced by the starter on the first tee, waved to the fans and said, "Thanks, I appreciate it." He hooked his first drive toward a cluster of trees lining the No. 1 fairway, but scrambled for a par.