PDA

View Full Version : Texans gonna finally beat the colts?

Grforces
05-21-2010, 02:36 AM
Im new here, I just recently started following the Texans for the 09 season. I cant seem to get enough. Anyways besides that check out what NFL TA is saying. What you guys think?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8183cbdc/Conquering-the-Colts

thunderkyss
05-21-2010, 03:04 AM
Im new here, I just recently started following the Texans for the 09 season. I cant seem to get enough. Anyways besides that check out what NFL TA is saying. What you guys think?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8183cbdc/Conquering-the-Colts

Great first post. I think Solomon & Rod hit on some key points, and I think they did a good job reviewing the Texans.

I think Solomon hit the nail on the head... there is a mental block there, that we have got to get over.

b0ng
05-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Basically we have to not collapse in hilarious fashion if we are to beat the Colts.

HuttoKarl
05-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Twice this upcoming season. :kingkong:

GP
05-21-2010, 10:58 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:t17w0kAZ8yb1sM:http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/robert817/magic8ballNO.jpg

OK. maybe the Magic 8-Ball is pure speculation.

But I just have to see us beat the Colts before I believe it will be done. And even then, it would still be possibly just a fluke.

Until it happens more regularly, it has to be treated as a fluke unless it's an obvious changing-of-the-guard type of game where we dominate from start to finish.

gtexan02
05-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Twice this upcoming season. :kingkong:

Weve beat them once in our entire existence. I'd be happy splitting with them

b0ng
05-21-2010, 11:31 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:t17w0kAZ8yb1sM:http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/robert817/magic8ballNO.jpg

But I just have to see us beat the Colts before I believe it will be done. And even then, it would still be possibly just a fluke.

Until it happens more regularly, it has to be treated as a fluke unless it's an obvious changing-of-the-guard type of game where we dominate from start to finish.

The sad part is there's been about 3 or 4 games in the past 3 or 4 seasons where we pretty much do dominate them until about halfway through the 4th quarter. Then we don our rodeo clown outfits and make a spectacle of ourselves.

Hardcore Texan
05-21-2010, 11:49 AM

What got you to following the Texans this past season? Was it a particular player?

Welcome to the board.

Big Lou
05-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Finally???

We have beat the Colts before.

I know it's nothing to hang your hat on, but "finally" is not the word I would use......

GP
05-21-2010, 12:18 PM
The sad part is there's been about 3 or 4 games in the past 3 or 4 seasons where we pretty much do dominate them until about halfway through the 4th quarter. Then we don our rodeo clown outfits and make a spectacle of ourselves.

Yeah, I agree.

It's just sad. I think having David Carr lining up against Peyton Manning has instilled an overall lack of confidence by our whole team. When we had Carr, we had no chance on offense at all. And our defense was facing a great Qb entering his prime. It was double-doomsday for us.

And we just haven't climbed out of that pit yet.

It's like the abused girlfriend who finds herself perpetually in abusive relationships. She doesn't know anything else. And when it looks like she's about to land a great guy, she self-destructs under the pressure and reverts back to bad relationships. It's just a funk that we've got going on.

I hope we really nail those Colts this year. A really good, severe beatdown that leaves no question about it. That'll be almost enough for me.

Hardcore Texan
05-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Finally???

I know it's nothing to hang your hat on, but "finally" is not the word I would use......

Okay, then, when the Texans finally beat the colts for the second time in team history?

b0ng
05-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I agree.

It's just sad. I think having David Carr lining up against Peyton Manning has instilled an overall lack of confidence by our whole team. When we had Carr, we had no chance on offense at all. And our defense was facing a great Qb entering his prime. It was double-doomsday for us.

And we just haven't climbed out of that pit yet.

It's like the abused girlfriend who finds herself perpetually in abusive relationships. She doesn't know anything else. And when it looks like she's about to land a great guy, she self-destructs under the pressure and reverts back to bad relationships. It's just a funk that we've got going on.

I hope we really nail those Colts this year. A really good, severe beatdown that leaves no question about it. That'll be almost enough for me.

Most of the people who lined up with Carr are pretty much gone now. There's no reason for this team to be so shell shocked against the Colts when it's obvious that we do have enough firepower to beat them (As evidenced by at least a few games over the past 2 or 3 seasons) but we just go 3 stooges when it's time to put them away.

Yeah, Peyton is probably going to shred the secondary like he does to 90% of the NFL teams out there, but I think that the Colts have enough problems covering AJ and Daniels that we can take advantage of them. It's always always some super boneheaded plays that give the Colts a nice fat W in the waning minutes.

I love that we start our season off against them. Sure they may seem nigh unbeatable, but if you want the season to be a success there is no better place to start than at home against Indy.

GP
05-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Most of the people who lined up with Carr are pretty much gone now. There's no reason for this team to be so shell shocked against the Colts when it's obvious that we do have enough firepower to beat them (As evidenced by at least a few games over the past 2 or 3 seasons) but we just go 3 stooges when it's time to put them away.

Yeah, Peyton is probably going to shred the secondary like he does to 90% of the NFL teams out there, but I think that the Colts have enough problems covering AJ and Daniels that we can take advantage of them. It's always always some super boneheaded plays that give the Colts a nice fat W in the waning minutes.

I love that we start our season off against them. Sure they may seem nigh unbeatable, but if you want the season to be a success there is no better place to start than at home against Indy.

I think it's the knowledge that you're not the bext on your own block. And that the difference between the block bully and us is VERY large. Over time, you just can't visualize actually getting past them...until the bully gets so old that his body wears down and is vulnerable.

I think it started in the Carr years, and my assertion (as you said) is probably not a good one. We could have had a really good QB under center and it wouldn't have mattered with where Manning and that Colts team were at that time.

We have to hope that the block's bully has slipped in his ability to dominate. We need a small opening to exploit, and then we'll be OK. These things are cyclical anyways. No team dominates for like 10 years or more. They all hit a low spot at some point. We just have to hope that we hit our peak when the other three teams in our division are in decline. That, to me, is the perfect recipe for a good run at the title over multiple seasons. The Colts have leveraged that sort of recipe for a long time now.

Indy Skinnz
05-21-2010, 03:53 PM
We have to hope that the block's bully has slipped in his ability to dominate. We need a small opening to exploit, and then we'll be OK. These things are cyclical anyways. No team dominates for like 10 years or more. They all hit a low spot at some point. We just have to hope that we hit our peak when the other three teams in our division are in decline. That, to me, is the perfect recipe for a good run at the title over multiple seasons. The Colts have leveraged that sort of recipe for a long time now.

I don't think the Colts are gonna slip much this year if at all.

For what it's worth, I agree with much of what everyone has said in this thread. The talent for Houston to beat the Colts is certainly there, but they need to play a full 60 minutes to get it done.

I expect the AFC South to be a 2 team race this year.

infantrycak
05-21-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't think the Colts are gonna slip much this year if at all.

For what it's worth, I agree with much of what everyone has said in this thread. The talent for Houston to beat the Colts is certainly there, but they need to play a full 60 minutes to get it done.

I expect the AFC South to be a 2 team race this year.

Heck even if we sweep y'all I would still expect it to be tough to win the division. We don't have any influence on the other 14 games and as long as Manning is there I expect the Colts to crank out 11+ win seasons.

Grforces
05-21-2010, 04:39 PM
What got you to following the Texans this past season? Was it a particular player?

Welcome to the board.

Thanks, I finally changed jobs and had time to follow the texans. I started following a little bit since the inception, but not like you guys here, and not like i have been for the 09 season. A loss ruined the whole week for me.
Im not a kub basher, I had mixed feelings when they gave him an extension, but I think the mental hurdle is the coaching. Cushing and pollard brought it for the D, shaub and johnson got it for the O. It's just not coming together and I feel like alot of that is on the coaching. Like someone said, the talent is more then there.

TimeKiller
05-21-2010, 04:42 PM
The colts didn't beat us in either game last year....from what I remember.

What I remember is the Texans beating the Colts, then beating themselves and since the Colts were the only other team present they got the W's. Texans were the driving force in both games, unfortunately in both games their play was to hand the game over.

Blake
05-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Finally???

Okay, then, when the Texans finally beat the colts for the second time in team history?

If you watch the video, the question is who can knock the Colts off as the division winner this year. Indy has won the division 6 of the past 8 years. The other 2 belong to the Tacks. Are the Texans going to finally beat the Colts as the division winner is what the thread/video is about.

steelbtexan
05-21-2010, 05:17 PM

This

Prove it- Make the playoffs.

If the Texans atart out 3-1 they will probably be talking about the playoffs. Followed by a 3-4 game losing streak. It's time for them to stop talking and prove it on the field.

They haven't even proven they can beat the Tacks muchless the Colts. (Dose of reality)

Which will be difficult because the used car salesman that is McNair has been saying they are a playoff team the last 2 yrs. See where thats gotten them.

Double Barrel
05-21-2010, 05:20 PM
If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Indy.

I hate to say it, but as a fan of this team, I no longer have expectations for this franchise, much less high expectations like beating the Colts.

I'll never stop cheering for them, though!

Hardcore Texan
05-21-2010, 05:30 PM
If you watch the video, the question is who can knock the Colts off as the division winner this year. Indy has won the division 6 of the past 8 years. The other 2 belong to the Tacks. Are the Texans going to finally beat the Colts as the division winner is what the thread/video is about.

I am with you, it's kind of silly to get caught up i semantics when we know what the context of the issue is, which was my point, we can change the wording however we see fit, but the point was how will we finally beat the colts on a semi-regular basis, it's necessary to win the division, that's all I was implying.

steelbtexan
05-21-2010, 06:16 PM
If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Indy.

I hate to say it, but as a fan of this team, I no longer have expectations for this franchise, much less high expectations like beating the Colts.

I'll never stop cheering for them, though!

Ditto

infantrycak
05-21-2010, 06:33 PM
As fans we shouldn't expect a win but the Texans are certainly capable of beating the Colts. I like having them for game 1. Huge IF, but IF they pull off the win it will be exactly confidence boost to set the Texans up for a run.

NitroGSXR
05-22-2010, 01:10 AM
As fans we shouldn't expect a win but the Texans are certainly capable of beating the Colts. I like having them for game 1. Huge IF, but IF they pull off the win it will be exactly confidence boost to set the Texans up for a run.

Meh. Can be said for all teams every year. Winning the first game is one heckuva confidence booster by itself no matter the opponent. It's nice to begin the season undefeated.

I'm ready for this team to look past who the opponents are. I'm not going to worry about Peyton Manning. No big secret what he brings to the table. We know he's going to throw the ball. Ain't no gettin' around that. I'm going to worry about the linebackers and how the secondary respond. Our season depends on it whether it's the Colts or the Raiders. We have been known to allow backup QBs revive their careers against us so Peyton Manning means very little when a Joey Harrington-type has a career day (I know way back in 2006 but the wounds are still very tender).

Till we look past the opponent... Eh. I'm just not very optimistic about this team. I sure am hoping for the best but last year was brutal and I see the usual suspects in the lineup this season. Sure we added a couple of rookies but what did we lose? A lot. Dunta wasn't the problem last year. Instead of adding a RB, we're replacing a void left in Slaton. I'm banking on Garrett Graham though. Smithiak's 4th rounders seem to go ballistic on the field.

I'm hoping for the little sparkplug we got to give us plenty of entertainment on returns. I'm mentally preparing for a "Jerome Mathis" sort of year where he's the only bright spot on the team. 2005 would have been the ultimate fan punk without Jerome Mathis.

Now if we beat the Colts...

:fans:

Kimmy
05-22-2010, 07:57 AM

Here's a welcome rep for you!

Lucky
05-22-2010, 02:09 PM
It's just sad. I think having David Carr lining up against Peyton Manning has instilled an overall lack of confidence by our whole team.

Most of the people who lined up with Carr are pretty much gone now.
This.

The NFL Network guys picked up on a major problem with this team. Confidence. Especially, confidence when facing good teams. The record speaks for itself. Dungy mentioned the same thing last offseason, that the Texans were a confidence building event from becoming a top team.

One of the reasons I've become a Kubiak unbeliever (along with gameday decisions/indecision) is what seems to be his inability to instill confidence amongst the players. That's my perception. I think the talent is there (and I give Kubiak his credit for acquiring and developing that talent). I don't think a head coach has to be a fiery Cowher-type to instill confidence. Bill Walsh, Tom Landry, and Tony Dungy were as calm as any coach that ever walked a sideline. But, a head coach has to convince his players that they can win, and win any game. That element is more important than any player acquisition that could have been made in the offseason.

Grforces
05-22-2010, 06:45 PM
This.

The NFL Network guys picked up on a major problem with this team. Confidence. Especially, confidence when facing good teams. The record speaks for itself. Dungy mentioned the same thing last offseason, that the Texans were a confidence building event from becoming a top team.

One of the reasons I've become a Kubiak unbeliever (along with gameday decisions/indecision) is what seems to be his inability to instill confidence amongst the players. That's my perception. I think the talent is there (and I give Kubiak his credit for acquiring and developing that talent). I don't think a head coach has to be a fiery Cowher-type to instill confidence. Bill Walsh, Tom Landry, and Tony Dungy were as calm as any coach that ever walked a sideline. But, a head coach has to convince his players that they can win, and win any game. That element is more important than any player acquisition that could have been made in the offseason.

I agree with you a 100%. What's frustrating is that we have seen that we can beat the colts. I feel like we can beat/ run with any team. I just lack the confidence in the coaching to get us the division title. It's almost like it's backwards, it's like the coaching staff is looking to get the confidence from the players instead of the other way around.

JB
05-22-2010, 06:54 PM
This.

I agree with you a 100%. What's frustrating is that we have seen that we can beat the colts. I feel like we can beat/ run with any team. I just lack the confidence in the coaching to get us the division title. It's almost like it's backwards, it's like the coaching staff is looking to get the confidence from the players instead of the other way around.

You can't put it all on the coaches. All it takes is one Rosencopter to wipe away 100 rah-rah's

Imatexanfan
05-22-2010, 07:24 PM
The colts didn't beat us in either game last year....from what I remember.

What I remember is the Texans beating the Colts, then beating themselves and since the Colts were the only other team present they got the W's. Texans were the driving force in both games, unfortunately in both games their play was to hand the game over.

What he said...:handshake:

b0ng
05-22-2010, 07:58 PM
You can't put it all on the coaches. All it takes is one Rosencopter to wipe away 100 rah-rah's

While that's true, good teams overcome bad calls by refs, Rosencopters, Hurricanes and all other sorts of life. Good teams will keep their confidence and swagger even if they got their heads caved in the week before. I think a lot of that type of attitude falls on the coaches.

JB
05-22-2010, 08:08 PM
While that's true, good teams overcome bad calls by refs, Rosencopters, Hurricanes and all other sorts of life. Good teams will keep their confidence and swagger even if they got their heads caved in the week before. I think a lot of that type of attitude falls on the coaches.

I agree with this. I think the Texans need to mature as a team. That includes the coaching staff. I also believe that overcoming that devastating 4 game losing streak and finish 9-7 with a shot at the playoffs has give our team a good deal of confidence. Reading their twitter comments alone shows me they seem to be much more focused and confident. They sound like a team ready to get it done.

NitroGSXR
05-22-2010, 08:11 PM

We've got loads of confidence and swagger. We show it by going on a season ending sprint every time. It's starting out of the boat that we struggle with. Yes, that's on the coaches. We got no killer instinct until our backs are on the wall. We can be pushed back but we start fighting back too late.

thunderkyss
05-22-2010, 10:10 PM

I agree with this. It would have been nice if we were that team in 2009, but we weren't.

I think it is unfair to blame all that on Kubiak. You can instill all you want, but if it takes a little longer for naturally quite guys, like AJ & Mario to internalize, then project that confidence... then it takes a little longer, & I don't know that you can blame the coach.

Defensively, Mario hasn't even become that guy (yet), Demeco, Cushing, and Pollard have filled the void left by Dunta.

This.

I think the way we "shut down" the Colts (as much as they can be shut down) in the second half of the first game, and jumped on them early in the second game shows the team is confident enough to believe they can win. I don't see that as the problem... IMHO that is evidence Kubiak is doing what a head coach is supposed to do.

Where he has failed, again, just my opinion, is getting them to overcome the bullshit that comes up in every game.

thunderkyss
05-22-2010, 10:18 PM
One more thing.

Kubiak pisses me off, just like he pisses everyone else off, because of some of the things he does, and some of the things he doesn't do. & I agree, after 4 years, we shouldn't be biting our nails on the edge of our seats week 17 hoping to go 9-7 for the first time.

What I don't understand, is the feeling some people have, that he'll never get it. I beleive he's dragging ass to get us where we wanted to be... If we had started the season in December, we would have seen the team we thought we should have had in September. So I don't think we are "that" far behind schedule.

b0ng
05-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I think some of it is Kubiak, some of it is the coordinators and the position coaches, and some of it is on the players. But since Kubiak is the guy in charge he gets a lot of the blame (even if some of it is unfair). Really we started out great in 2007. We beat the Chiefs (Which were a playoff team the year before), we beat the Panthers (Which were supposed to be a pretty decent team) and then in that Panthers game AJ went down and the rest of the season went to poo.

I've read a lot of things that run in the vein of the players play only when they think they have to save Kubiak's job in the ending month of a season because he runs camp candy. If Kubiak is smart he'll harness that motivation (because it is there, they've proven it) for the beginning. I'm not sure that Kubiak will never "get it", but I do recognize a lot of the same mistakes every year. Coaches challenges, the running game always has huge flaws, the defense always craps the bed at the wrong time against the wrong teams. A lot of the more impatient fans think these are good reasons to fire Kubiak, but I can't see the logic in completely firing a guy who has improved every season he's been here. If he shows some kind of major regression, then sure can his ass, but if he's improving (even if it's only ever so slightly, let the man try to complete his team.

In the end though, Kubiak is in charge of making the players play and doing whatever he has to do to make the Texans put away good teams.

Lucky
05-23-2010, 12:16 AM
I think the way we "shut down" the Colts (as much as they can be shut down) in the second half of the first game, and jumped on them early in the second game shows the team is confident enough to believe they can win. I don't see that as the problem...
I don't think we're watching the same games. The 2nd Colts game is actually a prime example of a team losing confidence in itself. This team has had too much talent to produce a 5-10 record versus winning teams, the past 2 seasons. I have to side with Dungy and Rod Woodson in that the Texans have lacked confidence when facing top opponents. Such as the Colts.
IMHO that is evidence Kubiak is doing what a head coach is supposed to do.

Where he has failed, again, just my opinion, is getting them to overcome the bullshit that comes up in every game.
Kubiak is doing what a head coach is supposed to do? He just can't get them to overcome the bullshit that comes up in every game?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3e/Cat_wtf.jpg/300px-Cat_wtf.jpg

thunderkyss
05-23-2010, 12:29 AM
I don't think we're watching the same games. The 2nd Colts game is actually a prime example of a team losing confidence in itself. This team has had too much talent to produce a 5-10 record versus winning teams, the past 2 seasons. I have to side with Dungy and Rod Woodson in that the Texans have lacked confidence when facing top opponents. Such as the Colts.

We came into that game, and jumped on them to a 21-7 halftime lead. I think they came to the game feeling pretty confident they could win. At the very least that they could play with them. They lacked the maturity to put the game away. Same thing happened against Jacksonville the second time.

Kubiak is doing what a head coach is supposed to do? He just can't get them to overcome the bullshit that comes up in every game?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3e/Cat_wtf.jpg/300px-Cat_wtf.jpg

He's put together a solid team. He gets them prepared to play. The team needs to mature some. They need to be able to forget the last play, and make the next one. Kubiak has a responsibility to help them get to that point, and I think he's working on it. He's doing what he is supposed to be doing.

b0ng
05-23-2010, 12:33 AM

I think what he means by doing what a head coach is supposed to do is that he is slowly but surely improving the talent and the play of the team (Yes, it is very slow for him and very painful for us as we watch Sean Payton win a SB or Mike Smith and Tony Sporano make one whole playoff run).

But you are right, there are a lot of games in which a call doesn't go our way and it completely deflates all facets of our game. But at the same time you can't say that team didn't play it's best football in team history last year because it did. What that might be worth though is up to the individual poster.

Grforces
05-23-2010, 01:20 AM
Would we instantly improve with a different coach? You look at the colts with thier new coach and they went to the super bowl. But, the coach wasen't new, not really anyways. He was under dungy, and basically din't change anything. With the Texans, under a new coach alot would change. Kub is improving, maybe not fast enough but he is. Im just wondering if he is reaching a plateau and we cant take that next step to actually break even in the division let alone winning it.

Lucky
05-23-2010, 03:07 AM
But at the same time you can't say that team didn't play it's best football in team history last year because it did.
I would say that there wasn't a vast difference between the Texans play in 2009 than what they produced in 2008 (against a more difficult schedule). The Texans added a couple of much needed playmakers on defense. Some of the younger players improved. Some regressed. But, that's not really the conversation.

What we are discussing is what will it take to finally beat the Colts. Be it in head-to-head matchups, or for the division crown that Indy routinely wears. Taking that next step is less about adding another piece to the puzzle, but more about changing the culture of the team. Tony Dungy said this (http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/2009-06-05/story/tony_dungy_talks_football_on_visit_to_jacksonville ) about the Texans last offseason:

The AFC South division is tougher than ever. I really think the Houston Texans are a little confidence piece away from becoming an elite team."Well, it's one year later. And what Dungy said then still rings true. Man for man, the Texans have as much (or more) talent than any team in the AFC South. It's the intangibles. The confidence that's lacking when facing good teams. So has Kubiak done "what a head coach is supposed to do"? Partially. He has succeeded in regards to shopping for the groceries. Whether Kubiak has the recipe down for concocting an elite team remains to be seen. That's also something "a head coach is supposed to do." :chef:

thunderkyss
05-23-2010, 04:00 AM
So has Kubiak done "what a head coach is supposed to do"? Partially. He has succeeded in regards to shopping for the groceries. Whether Kubiak has the recipe down for concocting an elite team remains to be seen. That's also something "a head coach is supposed to do." :chef:

How long does it take to instill confidence into 53 men?

The correct answer, would be that it depends on the men, and it depends on the coach.

Are you telling me Matt Schaub isn't more confident now than he was a year ago? That our front seven aren't more confident with Pollard behind them?

I think our whole team is confident they can play with, and beat any team out there. People want to say, with the exception of the Jets game, but if you watch that game, we were playing some damn good football. There were some damn big mistakes made, on the field, on the sideline, in the locker room.... I'm not denying any of that.

We played at a high level all year, and went toe to toe with every team that was on our schedule.

Not being able to recover from fumbling the ball on the 1 yard line isn't the same thing as lacking confidence. In my opinion, that's a maturity and resolve thing.

Again, something that Kubiak should be doing.

& Yes, I think Kubiak is doing what a good HC is supposed to be doing. Maybe not as transparently as you would like to see. Maybe not as quickly as you would like to see... & quite frankly not as well as you would like to see. But yeah, he's doing it.

b0ng
05-23-2010, 04:43 AM
Reasons Lucky listed are good reasons why I think Kubiak should be under some pretty intense scrutiny this year by Bob, extension or not.

But I think Kubiak has done well enough not to be fired outright for reasons why TK alluded to.

Basically for me it comes down to how well the defense performs. I think unless we see a rash of injuries the passing game is going to remain high end. The running game, ehhhh, but the aerial attack should still be in place. But if the defense can't hold decent teams to under 25 points we are always going to be in a shoot-out and that's not a good recipe to win.

Frank Bush is probably going to sink Kubiak in the long run.

GNR87
05-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Last year in Indy your FG kicker shanks it at the end of the game. In Houston you beat our ass up and down the field the first half. Manning is good at adjusting his strategy during games and that combined with the Texans confidence level against us determined the game. As a Colts fan I've been amazed by our luck against the Texans. I know its going to run out eventually. I thought it would have by now already.

The pre-Manning days sucked as a Colts fan. I remember them very well unfortunately. So I've been enjoying this ride immensely since 1998. But I see a hell of a lot of similarities between the Colts and Texans as far as fan bases go. We, like you guys, doubted our coach. He was a really nice guy but didn't seem to be able to deliver the championship. There were some idiots wanting us to trade Manning so we could get the final pieces of the puzzle for the championship. Stupidity personified there. We, like you, had a nemesis we couldn't get past. The f'ing Patriots. So many times on the cusp of victory something went wrong against them. The media played it up big time. After the Super Bowl win and beating them on a regular basis we no longer fear them at all. I have a soft spot for the Texans because that is where the Colts were about a decade ago. So keep the faith one day the rewards will come.

thunderkyss
05-23-2010, 06:09 AM
Reasons Lucky listed are good reasons why I think Kubiak should be under some pretty intense scrutiny this year by Bob, extension or not.

But I think Kubiak has done well enough not to be fired outright for reasons why TK alluded to.

If we don't win 10 games, I don't think any excuse is going to save Kubiak. Tough I'm a devout Kubiak fan, I think that's about right.

I think last year was the first year, that we were good enough to look at W-Ls as a reflection of the team. Yes, I'm saying from 2006-2008 there was no rhyme or reason to why we won a game, other than we sucked less often than the other team.

2009, we were winning, because we were better than the other team. We lost to the better teams in the league... I think that is a real reflection of where this team was. Better than the bad teams... really close to the good teams.

We've got 4 games against truly bad teams. Oakland, Kansas City, & two against the Jags ( I know they swept us last season... but still). We need to win those, and 6 of the other 12... against mid-level to good teams.

I think the team is good enough. The dept is pretty close to on par with the rest of the league, if not on par. The majority of guys have been on our roster for 3 years or more. We're cranking out pro-bowlers like nobody's business...

2010, I think it's all on the coach.

Lucky
05-23-2010, 11:21 AM
I think our whole team is confident they can play with, and beat any team out there. People want to say, with the exception of the Jets game, but if you watch that game, we were playing some damn good football.
Look, I think you make some good points. But when you say stuff like the Texans played "damn good football" versus the Jets, I just throw my hands up in the air. That game was a pathetic display by the Texans. They were manhandled on both sides of the ball. The Jets staff and scheme dominated the Texans staff (outcoached just isn't a strong enough word). And in my eyes, from what I saw on the field and the sidelines, the team quit. I can't be convinced otherwise.

Fortunately, that game was an aberration to the season. Kubiak deserves credit for bringing the team back from that loss, just as he shoulders blame for allowing his team to come out flat for the home opener against a rookie head coach and QB. But, Andre Johnson deserves kudos for sparking the team in the subsequent game. And Pollard and Cushing instilled a level of physicality that this franchise had not seen. I finally got off the ledge the Jets game put me on. However, I won't forget it for what it was.

Frank Bush is probably going to sink Kubiak in the long run.
I wasn't a fan of the Bush promotion. But, I liked what I saw as the season wore on. I believe Frank Bush can be part of the solution, rather than the problem.

So keep the faith one day the rewards will come.
I'm trying. I see signs, but not all of them are positive. Thanks for the comparision to what the Colts have gone through. It helps.

Wolf
05-23-2010, 11:50 AM
The addition of Cushing and Pollard was HUGE for this defense. not just talent wise but the attitude to go with," I will be there and I will knock the piss out of you"

and it might have been Smith simplifying the playbook along with the guys learning the assignments and playing instead of thinking

GuerillaBlack
05-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Meh. Can be said for all teams every year. Winning the first game is one heckuva confidence booster by itself no matter the opponent. It's nice to begin the season undefeated.

Disagree. We all know the Texans' record against the Colts. The Colts also went to the Super Bowl last season. Beating them would boost our confidence up tremendously. Much different than opening up against the Jets (last year) or Miami (few years before that)...

steelbtexan
05-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Bottom line is unless Kubes makes the playoffs next year these same ? will keep being asked.

There will always be excuses Cushing being suspended will be exhibit no.1 next offseason,injuries,bad calls etc....

Until they make the playoffs I'm really not interested in hearing the excuses any longer.

GuerillaBlack
05-23-2010, 12:11 PM
The Cushing excuse would only come in if the Texans go 2-2 or worse in the first four games.

Wolf
05-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks to false start and his magic..only thing to say

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs484.ash1/26476_1285795825202_1239346820_30739083_5002479_n. jpg

NitroGSXR
05-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Disagree. We all know the Texans' record against the Colts. The Colts also went to the Super Bowl last season. Beating them would boost our confidence up tremendously. Much different than opening up against the Jets (last year) or Miami (few years before that)...

Losing the Jets game cost us a playoff berth maybe even a SB. We know this as fact. I'm not so sure how beating the Colts in the opener will affect us next season. I remember going into week 2 on top of the world in 2002. The first game means less as the season progresses on. I'm still laughing at the high flying (was it 6-0?) start by Denver.

The Colts got knocked down a peg by a "finesse" team in the SB, a term that I'd be comfortable with when referring to the Texans. Being demoralized on the grandest of all football stages does something to a team. The 18-1 Patriots come to mind. I wasn't as scared of them in week 17 of last year than I'd ever been. I'm more concerned of the Colts in Indianapolis than in Houston. I'd wager half a penny that we'd have far more confidence coming off a win in Indy than the season opener at home. Imagine if Kris had not shanked that kick in Indianapolis...

Confidence is overrated. Just do the job and win the game. Egos do not win football games. Hard work does. All 16 games matter. Period. Losing the opener isn't the end of the world. 15 games left to recover.

I fully expect to lose at Indianapolis twice. Both times are "loads of preparation" sort of games, a season opener and returning from a BYE week. We have not had much success with either. We return to a lull in our play. We lack coaching for that. Time off is not our friend...

gary
05-23-2010, 01:54 PM
The Texans have already won once against the Manning's so it has been proven the talent is there. Anything could happen. Will the Texans beat the Manning's again? No one knows for sure. The game does have to be called fairly for both teams though and the Texans have to come out ready to play smash mouth football from the second that clock starts ticking. They have to play with who they have. They won't have Cushing. Fine, his replacement must still play with a take no prisoner's mentality. That is what good teams have players who step in and fill voids for others when they are out. Everytime they have a chance to legally hit Manning in the balls they should do so. Limiting their mistakes and that includes Gary too. Everyone knows the Texans keys to winning against the Manning's including the Texans but they have only shown once in their history confidence to defeat the Manning's and that has to change. It would also be nice to the game called correctly but I don't see that coming about anytime soon. Good teams over come those hard factors of the game so the Texans have to stop beating the Texans and show not only are they ready to beat the Manning's once again but finnally ready to compete nose to nose with them for the title in the AFC South. We are all ready for that day and my nose hair is getting longer.

gary
05-23-2010, 05:31 PM
I think Gary might still be on the hot seat next season even though his contract was extended at the end of this season.

Norg
05-23-2010, 08:26 PM
I wouldnt sleep on the cheifs or Oakland either

last time we went to the black hole we Lossed and the cheifs can throw down has well IMO

thunderkyss
05-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Look, I think you make some good points. But when you say stuff like the Texans played "damn good football" versus the Jets, I just throw my hands up in the air. That game was a pathetic display by the Texans. They were manhandled on both sides of the ball. The Jets staff and scheme dominated the Texans staff (outcoached just isn't a strong enough word). And in my eyes, from what I saw on the field and the sidelines, the team quit. I can't be convinced otherwise.

I meant to say there were some good points in that game. They didn't play 4 quarters on both sides of the ball. You're right. There was also some "quiting" going on there, which adds to my point about it being a question of maturity, and not confidence.

drewmar74
05-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Yes.

We'll split the series with them this year.

Just a gut feeling.

That is all.

Carry on.

thunderkyss
05-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Confidence is overrated. Just do the job and win the game. Egos do not win football games. Hard work does. All 16 games matter. Period. Losing the opener isn't the end of the world. 15 games left to recover.

I'll agree with this.

However, If we're out to prove these aren't your daddy's Texans... that we've turned THE corner, beating Indy in week 1 would go a long way towards proving that.

We're not particularly strong week 1 (unless we're playing a shell of a Kansas City team), and we aren't particularly good at putting the Colts away.

Two birds, one stone.

Section516
05-23-2010, 08:44 PM
We need to come out swinging, with a new attitude from day one.

I hope being so close, yet having nothing to show for it, made this a hell of a off season for the team, and there's a massive chip sitting on their shoulders.

thunderkyss
05-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Just a question.

How many Colts games did you watch in 2009?

2009 was a bad year for me, and it was all I could do to watch every Texans' game. Good thing they play NFL Replay in the offseason.

I'm watching the Colts/Ravens now. Dem are some lucky bastids if I ever did see one.

:kitten:

Indy Skinnz
05-31-2010, 05:35 PM
Just a question.

How many Colts games did you watch in 2009?

2009 was a bad year for me, and it was all I could do to watch every Texans' game. Good thing they play NFL Replay in the offseason.

I'm watching the Colts/Ravens now. Dem are some lucky bastids if I ever did see one.

Don't good teams make their own luck?

mariowillshine15
05-31-2010, 05:50 PM

I think it's more like good teams keep it together long enough for mediocre/bad teams to implode.

thunderkyss
05-31-2010, 06:36 PM

I'm not hate'n.. The Colts are the gold standard in my book.

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation.

Indy Skinnz
06-01-2010, 11:40 AM
I think it's more like good teams keep it together long enough for mediocre/bad teams to implode.

I think you are probably spot on with this. I think Colts fans have learned to never panic because they have been down so many times but come back to win with a couple of Houston games being huge examples of that.

threetoedpete
06-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Great first post. I think Solomon & Rod hit on some key points, and I think they did a good job reviewing the Texans.

I think Solomon hit the nail on the head... there is a mental block there, that we have got to get over.

Might be mental. My book says the Colts are just a smarter football team over all than we are. They are champions who find ways to win desperately lost games in the fourth quarter. And the Texans so far are not. We'll see if we learned anything form '09 and they get off to a better beginning in that first game. With Cushing they could generate pressure. Without him, someone will have to step up. The game will be huge for Barwin, Okoye , Earl Mitchel and Mario Williams. The key to Manning is getting him on the ground early in the game. Once you do that he isn't the same quarterback. There are very few who can beat his release and his mind however early in the game.

threetoedpete
06-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Bottom line is unless Kubes makes the playoffs next year these same ? will keep being asked.

There will always be excuses Cushing being suspended will be exhibit no.1 next offseason,injuries,bad calls etc....

Until they make the playoffs I'm really not interested in hearing the excuses any longer.

I'm not really sure that blowing the team up and starting over is a good fix. And I've always thought that it was a function of the degree of talent on the roster Kubiak and Smith inherited was the degree we heard the changing the coach thing. He defiantly picked and developed a top five QB. He/They have definitely improved the quality of the personnel on the roster. At some point potential has to grow up and start playing to win the division. And that responsibility is squarely on the shoulders of the players whom are making the fat checks. Kubiak can't play for them. No doubt he'll be the first one out the door. However it is foolish to believe a non WCO Denver guy will not blow up the team and replace the players on the current roster with his players. The last time I check all the Denver WCO guys are currently in Houston and Washington. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. How changing out coaches helps beat Manning and the Colts is really beyond me? Last time we switched it took us three years to catch up is all I know.

steelbtexan
06-01-2010, 03:21 PM
You dont have to blow up the team if you get a new HC. Schaub,AJ,Cushing etc.. can play in any system. Building through the draft is great. But the thingy is while Smithiak are building through the draft the Colts are supplementing through the draft. (See the Hughes draft pick) As long as Manning stays healthy I dont see the Texans catching up any time soon.

Until Smithiak fix the interior of the OL/DL the Texans will continue to be an average team. IMHO Maybe adding Mitchell is a step in the right direction.

TTP tell me how do you feel about the Texans ability to block all of the 3-4 defenses they will be seeing this year. The interior OL will be tested like never before next year. It doesn't look promising to me. I would rather see the OL being rebuilt 1st so that the 48 mil that was invested in Schaub doesn't go to waste.

How long are you willing to give Kubes before you think a change needs to be made?

Shaft75
06-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Screw the Colts...

threetoedpete
06-02-2010, 08:33 AM
You dont have to blow up the team if you get a new HC. Schaub,AJ,Cushing etc.. can play in any system. Building through the draft is great. But the thingy is while Smithiak are building through the draft the Colts are supplementing through the draft. (See the Hughes draft pick) As long as Manning stays healthy I dont see the Texans catching up any time soon.

Until Smithiak fix the interior of the OL/DL the Texans will continue to be an average team. IMHO Maybe adding Mitchell is a step in the right direction.

TTP tell me how do you feel about the Texans ability to block all of the 3-4 defenses they will be seeing this year. The interior OL will be tested like never before next year. It doesn't look promising to me. I would rather see the OL being rebuilt 1st so that the 48 mil that was invested in Schaub doesn't go to waste.

How long are you willing to give Kubes before you think a change needs to be made?

I think they should of moved up and drafted Iupati. But that's water under the bridge now.

And you can look at any coaching switch you want with the exception of Oakland, and if the new guy has any credibility at all with the owner, the roster just isn't different after three drafts, it's radically different. and it will be the same here if Gruden or whom ever comes in to replace Kubiak. If it's Gruden the first thing that will be "re worked" is the o-line. If it's Cower , or dick Labeau they will be switching back to the 3-4 and our ends will have to go. Meaning they'll have to move Mario for draft picks. . Just the way it is on the other side of the greener pasture. A coaching switch is not benign like a lot of posters tend to believe.

thunderkyss
06-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Just the way it is on the other side of the greener pasture. A coaching switch is not benign like a lot of posters tend to believe.

Bob McNair brought Dan Reeves in, in 2005. He asked him, if we had the talent to win. Dan obviously told him that we had.

I honestly thought we did, I've still got a Jason Babin jersey around here somewhere.

But I believe one of the reasons McNair got Kubiak, & I was very excited about getting him as well, was that we wouldn't have to rebuild much. We were still going to run a zone running scheme, the backs were still going to be a big part of the passing game, and we were still going to ball control our way to a win over the Colts.

So either Reeves was wrong, or Kubiak wasn't good enough to win with the talent he was given. I like to believe it was a little bit of both.

At the time, my "stance" was pretty much what it is now. That we had players that just needed an opportunity to prove they could be play-makers. The only difference, is that the players Kubiak put on the team actually show they have the ability to make plays.

I was wrong in 2005, and I may be wrong now, but I believe (in my heart of hearts), the talent we have now, can win, and win big almost in spite of whatever coach we have in 2010, and 2011. So while I know a new coach will be bringing in "his guys" and getting rid of some of "our guys," I don't think he could do enough "damage" to stop us from winning in the near future.

My concern, is where will we be in 2012 and beyond.

I know Kubiak has got some problems, he wasn't ready to be a head coach, and he's had to learn a lot on the job. But, I am confident he's going to get it, and I think his upside is much higher than a Gruden, or a Chin, or a Fischer, if they were to come in right now.

I also feel the way he is building our team, is going to set us up for success, for a long, long time.

We aren't the overnight success that the Patriots were, or the Colts were :sarcasm: but I think Kubiak is in it for the long haul.

steelbtexan
06-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I think they should of moved up and drafted Iupati. But that's water under the bridge now.

And you can look at any coaching switch you want with the exception of Oakland, and if the new guy has any credibility at all with the owner, the roster just isn't different after three drafts, it's radically different. and it will be the same here if Gruden or whom ever comes in to replace Kubiak. If it's Gruden the first thing that will be "re worked" is the o-line. If it's Cower , or dick Labeau they will be switching back to the 3-4 and our ends will have to go. Meaning they'll have to move Mario for draft picks. . Just the way it is on the other side of the greener pasture. A coaching switch is not benign like a lot of posters tend to believe.

Agree

We've waited on Kubes for four years to bring a winner to Houston.

How much more time does he need? How much more time would you give him?

drs23
06-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Bob McNair brought Dan Reeves in, in 2005. He asked him, if we had the talent to win. Dan obviously told him that we had.

I honestly thought we did, I've still got a Jason Babin jersey around here somewhere.

But I believe one of the reasons McNair got Kubiak, & I was very excited about getting him as well, was that we wouldn't have to rebuild much. We were still going to run a zone running scheme, the backs were still going to be a big part of the passing game, and we were still going to ball control our way to a win over the Colts.

So either Reeves was wrong, or Kubiak wasn't good enough to win with the talent he was given. I like to believe it was a little bit of both.

At the time, my "stance" was pretty much what it is now. That we had players that just needed an opportunity to prove they could be play-makers. The only difference, is that the players Kubiak put on the team actually show they have the ability to make plays.

I was wrong in 2005, and I may be wrong now, but I believe (in my heart of hearts), the talent we have now, can win, and win big almost in spite of whatever coach we have in 2010, and 2011. So while I know a new coach will be bringing in "his guys" and getting rid of some of "our guys," I don't think he could do enough "damage" to stop us from winning in the near future.

My concern, is where will we be in 2012 and beyond.

I know Kubiak has got some problems, he wasn't ready to be a head coach, and he's had to learn a lot on the job. But, I am confident he's going to get it, and I think his upside is much higher than a Gruden, or a Chin, or a Fischer, if they were to come in right now.

I also feel the way he is building our team, is going to set us up for success, for a long, long time.

We aren't the overnight success that the Patriots were, or the Colts were :sarcasm: but I think Kubiak is in it for the long haul.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Norg
06-04-2010, 12:10 AM
I hate the Colts there not even in the SOuth LOL

We live in the South well we live in texas this should be our DIVISON we should be the KINGS !!!!!!!!!!!!

RipTraxx
06-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Well on a bright note it looks like Reggie Wayne is holding out for a new contract. (fingers crossed)

Texanmike02
06-04-2010, 09:23 PM
It's just not coming together and I feel like alot of that is on the coaching. Like someone said, the talent is more then there.

Have you met Second Honeymoon? Has he invited you for coffee? I'm sure he will be soon. Just don't bash the safeties on the first date...

Mike

gary
06-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Well on a bright note it looks like Reggie Wayne is holding out for a new contract. (fingers crossed)I don't. I'd rather see the Texans win against a team with everyone playing.

JB
06-04-2010, 10:21 PM
I don't. I'd rather see the Texans win against a team with everyone playing.

I just want to see the Texans win and I don't care who is playing...

infantrycak
06-05-2010, 09:49 AM
I just want to see the Texans win and I con't care who is playing...

Exactly. It is what it is on any given Sunday in the NFL.

Some days the bear eats you. Some days you eat the bear.

gary
06-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Exactly. It is what it is on any given Sunday in the NFL.

Some days the bear eats you. Some days you eat the bear.
True, but first stringers beating second or third stringers/any backups is not completly ideal but that is JMO.

b0ng
06-05-2010, 02:12 PM
They don't put asterisks next to wins because certain players were injured/holding out.

gary
06-05-2010, 02:46 PM
They don't put asterisks next to wins because certain players were injured/holding out.Still, if my team had a chance to knock Peyton Manning on his butt and beat him head to head then I'd rather them do that but that does not mean I woulld not take a win against the backup QB. That just means I hold my team to a higher standard and love it when they beat a great team while they are playing at their greatest level. There is not anything wrong with that but if a player does not play for any reason whatsoever there isn't anything I can do about it then so be it.

Lucky
06-06-2010, 11:15 AM
The NFL Network will be showing the Colts versus the Texans at noon today. Maybe this will be the Texans chance to finally beat the Colts? Maybe if the can jump out to a 17 point lead, they can hold Indy off?

Maybe not.

Lucky
06-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Anyone watching the replay? That late 2nd quarter drive stalled on 3rd &1 when Kubiak and Baby Shanny decided they couldn't get a yard running the ball. That has to change this season.

Lucky
06-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Horrible decision by Schaub to throw into triple coverage on initial 3rd quarter drive. When will Schaub become an elite QB? When he stops making bone-headed throws like that.

Lucky
06-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Those 3 Schaub turnovers in the 2nd half killed the Texans chances. Elite QBs don't fall apart like that. When you look back over the 4 game losing streak, Schaub put up numbers. But, he didn't make enough positive game changing plays. Schaub has to get better this year.

An improved running should help. Schaub also needs his playmakers on the field. More Jacoby Jones and a healthy Steve Slaton. I think Schaub can get better. But let's not kid ourselves into believing last year's Schaub is good enough.

drs23
06-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Yeah, just watched it again. They lost again. Not sure what it will take but I believe all the pieces are there. As mentioned before by many folks they're still a very young team. I believe, even with being tied with the Tacks, with the toughest schedule in the league we'll see an improved '10 team.

Blast away :smooch:

thunderkyss
06-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Anyone watching the replay? That late 2nd quarter drive stalled on 3rd &1 when Kubiak and Baby Shanny decided they couldn't get a yard running the ball. That has to change this season.

1st Qtr: 13:53 3rd & 1 ball on our 29 yard line
Ace Set, Slaton in the backfield. Off Right Tackle, pick up of 3 yards.

We were playing the Colts. Ranked 24th in rushing defense. We ran the ball 21 times, for 113 yards. Slaton avg 5.7 on the ground, Chris Brown avg 5.1 on the ground. We were getting positive yards on nearly every play.

We really don't know why Kubiak and Shanahan went with a pass in that situation. Maybe they got too cute. Maybe they didn't want to be predictable.

Yes... we have had issues running the ball. This years problem has been mostly fumbling.

Norg
06-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Why does Matt throw into TRIPLE COVERAGE ???????

Why did Matt throw the ball right on the numbers to the colts LB Session ????

WHy did matt dip his arm back like that to throw the ball only to get it stripped good qb never do that

it all went down hill when the reff called a bogus pently on Reeves that was such a BS call