PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Ready To Start

gary
05-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gBaJ8UN5Iu_nIRho_lGJWR2r3X5wD9FQGLM01

CloakNNNdagger
05-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gBaJ8UN5Iu_nIRho_lGJWR2r3X5wD9FQGLM01

Coming from a Pro style football program will be a big advantage to breaking into our starting lineup sooner than later.

JB
05-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Coming from a Pro style football program will be a big advantage to breaking into our starting lineup sooner than later.

Not having anyone established helps alot also

gary
05-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Not having anyone established helps alot alsoAin't that the truth.

CloakNNNdagger
05-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Not having anyone established helps alot also

The Crimson Tide players have distinct advantage when it comes to transitioning to the NFL. (http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1058440)

"Nick Saban runs a pro-style defense so when I get up there hopefully I won't have to make a lot of adjustments," said linebacker Eryk Anders, who is probably looking at the free-agency route. "Different verbage but doing the same kinds of things."

Teams also know that if a player can succeed executing Saban's complex schemes he can also probably pick up whatever they do in similar fashion. Last year both center Antoine Caldwell and safety Rashad Johnson were third-round picks by teams that already had established starters at those positions, but the Houston Texas and Arizona Cardinals felt they were too good not to select.

"Things changed when Coach Saban came in," Johnson said. "Running the pro-style of coaching, of defense, it makes you think a lot different about the game, of the details of learning your position and learning your craft. That's exactly how it is in the league.

"It really helped me become a professional and think I could make it at the next level."

........................"The most intense practices you're ever going to see, and the game speed's not much different. So you get that advantage going to the NFL."

JB
05-20-2010, 10:41 PM
The Crimson Tide players have distinct advantage when it comes to transitioning to the NFL. (http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1058440)

Totally agree that he was the most ready of all the CB's in the draft.

I was just making a snide comment about the state of our secondary in the past. I am actually pretty excited about the young group of guys we have now.

And I think Gibbs will do a much better job of coaching them up than we have seen previously.

CloakNNNdagger
05-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Totally agree that he was the most ready of all the CB's in the draft.

I was just making a snide comment about the state of our secondary in the past. I am actually pretty excited about the young group of guys we have now.

And I think Gibbs will do a much better job of coaching them up than we have seen previously.

JB,

My only question is how well his coverage skills will stand up for the Texans this year. If I remember, Saban runs a 3-4 defense........one that put a lot of pressure on offenses..........therefore, taking pressure off of their secondary. If we have no better QB pass pressure this year than last......................

JB
05-20-2010, 10:59 PM
JB,

My only question is how well his coverage skills will stand up for the Texans this year. If I remember, Saban runs a 3-4 defense........one that put a lot of pressure on offenses..........therefore, taking pressure off of their secondary. If we have no better QB pass pressure this year than last......................

I share your concerns Doc, but from the film I have watched he will do better than Dunta in some ways. He will struggle early in others.

The pass rush is a key to it, but I think we did a good job last year in applying pressure but when the qb can find a wide open receiver in under 3 seconds it is going to make everyone look bade. The secondary has to be able to blanket a receiver for 3.5 seconds to give the rush a chance.

I do not think we lost much in that regard when Dunta left. And the rest of our secondary and coaches should be better this year.

Texan_Bill
05-20-2010, 11:08 PM
DUDE!!! We should've signed Dunta for what? A mere $ 10,000,000.00+ this year. Too bad Bob is too cheap to pay an average corner that kind of money. :gun:

Play the kid!!

Rey
05-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Just from what my eyes tell me, Jackson looks more natural and smarter in coverage than Robinson did...of course one was going against college prospects and one was going against NFL players..

Rey
05-20-2010, 11:13 PM
DUDE!!! We should've signed Dunta for what? A mere $ 10,000,000.00+ this year. Too bad Bob is too cheap to pay an average corner that kind of money. :gun:

Play the kid!!

Honestly I think that it wouldn't have hurt to have Dunta on the team for one more year...

Dunta, Quinn, and Jackson would have been a nice threesome to throw at teams like the Colts...

If we'd have signed Dunta then Quinn and Jackson could have become more adjusted to the NFL and we could have let Dunta walk after that...

But in the end, both of these guys may end up being better than Dunta covg. wise...I guess we'll see...

JB
05-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Honestly I think that it wouldn't have hurt to have Dunta on the team for one more year...

Dunta, Quinn, and Jackson would have been a nice threesome to throw at teams like the Colts...

If we'd have signed Dunta then Quinn and Jackson could have become more adjusted to the NFL and we could have let Dunta walk after that...

But in the end, both of these guys may end up being better than Dunta covg. wise...I guess we'll see...

A big part of the problem with Dunta was that Manning and the league knew Dunta better than Dunta knew Manning and the league. I just don't think he has it any more.

Rey
05-20-2010, 11:42 PM
A big part of the problem with Dunta was that Manning and the league knew Dunta better than Dunta knew Manning and the league. I just don't think he has it any more.

I kinda don't like talking about/evaluating Dunta's game because he's not a Texan anymore, but I guess i talked about Carr for a while after he was gone so....

Anyways, I always felt like Dunta would have been better with a defense that got consistent pressure and forced teams to get it out quick....His athleticism and aggresive style would work well with a team like that I think....It'll be interesting seeing him this yr. as he'll be that much more recovered from the injury...

I do agree with what you're saying though...Coverage wise, Dunta just was not close to being elite...If he had to track a reciever for too long, he normally failed...

thunderkyss
05-21-2010, 03:12 AM
I share your concerns Doc, but from the film I have watched he will do better than Dunta in some ways. He will struggle early in others.

The pass rush is a key to it, but I think we did a good job last year in applying pressure but when the qb can find a wide open receiver in under 3 seconds it is going to make everyone look bade. The secondary has to be able to blanket a receiver for 3.5 seconds to give the rush a chance.

I do not think we lost much in that regard when Dunta left. And the rest of our secondary and coaches should be better this year.

What impressed me most about Quinn, and to some extent Reeves, was that they got their hands on the ball often. If we can do that consistently, QBs are going to look off receivers they are currently throwing the ball to.

The reason I think so, is because when that CB can get his hands on the ball (or a LB, we haven't had a LB get his hands on the ball as much as Cushing has in a long, long time), the QB is thinking, "that was almost a pick, I better be careful next time." It gets in his head, like Antonio Smith putting a forearm to the helmet of a QB... he's thinking about you for the rest of the game.

I watched the game last weekend on NFL replay, of our first game against Indy last season. Peyton wasn't worried about throwing an interception for most of the game. I know he threw one... but other than that, it was like we had no one in the secondary at all.

thunderkyss
05-21-2010, 03:16 AM
Anyways, I always felt like Dunta would have been better with a defense that got consistent pressure and forced teams to get it out quick....His athleticism and aggresive style would work well with a team like that I think....It'll be interesting seeing him this yr. as he'll be that much more recovered from the injury...

I will agree, another year removed from a bad injury, and a long term deal sewn up, Dunta will play more like that guy that brought the wood on every single play. He may even be worth... sorry, I just can't go there. :kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
05-21-2010, 08:15 AM
I will agree, another year removed from a bad injury, and a long term deal sewn up, Dunta will play more like that guy that brought the wood on every single play. He may even be worth... sorry, I just can't go there. :kitten:

I believe that we fans (and the Texans) have been so desparate to have a decent CB out there, that we have tended to evaluate Dunta with an exaggerated positive slant.............. an over-valued slant which has found the ear of some "outsiders." It is to be seen, but I would be totally unsurprised if, on his new team, Dunta is unveiled for what he really is today..........simply a serviceable CB...........with a lot of money.

BigBull17
05-21-2010, 08:31 AM

Except he was a guy who didn't want to be here. I have a feeling he dogged it a little last year cause he knew that he would be shown the door. I wouldn't be shocked if he played alot better this year. All he had to do was hang on to ONE INT and he would have been golden.

JB
05-21-2010, 09:05 AM
I kinda don't like talking about/evaluating Dunta's game because he's not a Texan anymore, but I guess i talked about Carr for a while after he was gone so....

I do agree with what you're saying though...Coverage wise, Dunta just was not close to being elite...If he had to track a reciever for too long, he normally failed...

Didn't you watch the games last year? Do you forget all the third & shorts that DR gave up? He coulde not cover his man for even 2.5 seconds. Constantly giving a 10 yd cushion on 3rd & 4. We got decent pressure last year, but could not cover for the 3 seconds needed.

HOU-TEX
05-21-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm kinda with Rey. I was in the keep Dunta for another season group. It would not have changed my draft strategy either. Having a good rook CB learn under a decent veteran is very important, IMO. Who do we have to show him the ropes? Reeves? Two 2nd year players?

However, it was obvious Duntas monetary demands weren't close to matching the product he put on the field. I had no problem with him leaving.

2slik4u
05-21-2010, 09:35 AM
He's a man....he's forty.

GuerillaBlack
05-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Except he was a guy who didn't want to be here. I have a feeling he dogged it a little last year cause he knew that he would be shown the door. I wouldn't be shocked if he played alot better this year. All he had to do was hang on to ONE INT and he would have been golden.

I've heard Dunta wanted to be here. At ClutchFans, someone met Dunta in the Galleria not too long ago and Dunta said he "wished he could have stayed in Houston, but things are going good in Atlanta".

ChampionTexan
05-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm kinda with Rey. I was in the keep Dunta for another season group. It would not have changed my draft strategy either. Having a good rook CB learn under a decent veteran is very important, IMO. Who do we have to show him the ropes? Reeves? Two 2nd year players?

However, it was obvious Duntas monetary demands weren't close to matching the product he put on the field. I had no problem with him leaving.

I think they did exactly what you describe with Dunta in 2009 - tie him up for one year, draft a couple of young guys to develop, and if Dunta blows your socks off, figure out a way to keep him - if he doesn't, he's expendable.

I think the Texans still have genuinely high hopes for Molden, they added Quinn and McCain just last year, Reeves is a very solid nickel guy (and paid like a very solid nickel guy FWIW), and with the addition of Jackson, somebody would have had to go if they'd kept Dunta. Heck, unless they move one of these guys to safety, somebody might have to go anyway. This doesn't even mention Bennett or McManis.

The Texans have pretty much said that a big part of the reason Jackson was the choice at 20 rather than Kyle Wilson or any other available CB was that he can play from day one. That's not to say he doesn't need some coaching and mentoring, but I feel like with Gibbs and Ray Rhodes, we're in pretty good shape on the coaching front, and from a mentoring standpoint, I seem to remember Jackson making some comments about Quinn helping him out. If that's true, that has the potential to benefit Quinn as much as it does Jackson. Even if you need a grizzled vet to be that mentor, we've got a starter on a back to back Super Bowl champion, and a two time Pro-Bowler and former DROY on the roster. I believe either of them could easily fill that role - even if neither one plays CB.

HOU-TEX
05-21-2010, 10:21 AM
I think they did exactly what you describe with Dunta in 2009 - tie him up for one year, draft a couple of young guys to develop, and if Dunta blows your socks off, figure out a way to keep him - if he doesn't, he's expendable.

I think the Texans still have genuinely high hopes for Molden, they added Quinn and McCain just last year, Reeves is a very solid nickel guy (and paid like a very solid nickel guy FWIW), and with the addition of Jackson, somebody would have had to go if they'd kept Dunta. Heck, unless they move one of these guys to safety, somebody might have to go anyway. This doesn't even mention Bennett or McManis.

The Texans have pretty much said that a big part of the reason Jackson was the choice at 20 rather than Kyle Wilson or any other available CB was that he can play from day one. That's not to say he doesn't need some coaching and mentoring, but I feel like with Gibbs and Ray Rhodes, we're in pretty good shape on the coaching front, and from a mentoring standpoint, I seem to remember Jackson making some comments about Quinn helping him out. If that's true, that has the potential to benefit Quinn as much as it does Jackson. Even if you need a grizzled vet to be that mentor, we've got a starter on a back to back Super Bowl champion, and a two time Pro-Bowler and former DROY on the roster. I believe either of them could easily fill that role - even if neither one plays CB.

Good points, bro. I'm sure Dunta helped quite a bit throughout the season, but he never stepped foot in any of the off-season camps. Which is where the veteran leadership would help the most.

Other than that, I can dig every thing else mentioned.

BigBull17
05-21-2010, 10:25 AM
I've heard Dunta wanted to be here. At ClutchFans, someone met Dunta in the Galleria not too long ago and Dunta said he "wished he could have stayed in Houston, but things are going good in Atlanta".

Just my opinion. He just really fought the franchise tag last year and then was very quick to say he would report if they would agree to not franchise him. I just don't think he was all that sad to leave town.

infantrycak
05-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Didn't you watch the games last year? Do you forget all the third & shorts that DR gave up? He coulde not cover his man for even 2.5 seconds. Constantly giving a 10 yd cushion on 3rd & 4. We got decent pressure last year, but could not cover for the 3 seconds needed.

I think Dunta was an average cover CB with above average run support. That said, I can't blame the 10 yd cushions on him as I believe those are called by the coaches. Now they do it not thinking he can bump and run well enough in that situation but nonetheless I don't believe it was Dunta's decision to line up that far. With the change from Hoke to Gibbs we saw a lot less of that less year although still too much in my opinion.

HOU-TEX
05-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I think Dunta was an average cover CB with above average run support. That said, I can't blame the 10 yd cushions on him as I believe those are called by the coaches. Now they do it not thinking he can bump and run well enough in that situation but nonetheless I don't believe it was Dunta's decision to line up that far. With the change from Hoke to Gibbs we saw a lot less of that less year although still too much in my opinion.

Agreed. That said, isn't part of Jackson's game being physical on the LOS? Hopefully we'll see even less of the cushion this season. Man, that always aggravated the heck out of me. Bennett used to be the worst at it too.

b0ng
05-21-2010, 12:14 PM

So get your facts straight!

IBleedTexans
05-21-2010, 12:32 PM

Im sorry but what's your comment responding to..... Im lost

badboy
05-21-2010, 12:32 PM
This was my concerned during the draft when I went with Kyle Wilson over Jackson who all now seem to agree is a Dunta clone just younger. That style CB could be successful but not with the Dline we have had. If our "leaner, meaner" Dline can hurry the QB, Jackson may be successful and he will bang with the best of them. If he can swivel, turn and cover he will be good.

Texecutioner
05-21-2010, 12:40 PM

If he wanted to be here so badly he would have signed with us last off season and not acted like such a jerk. He wanted to go wherever he could find a long term deal. I'm sure that he'll act nice to any fans who approach him in the Galleria and say nice things. His actions proved otherwise.

b0ng
05-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Im sorry but what's your comment responding to..... Im lost

pretty sure it's this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E).

The good stuff is about at the 2:20 mark.

GuerillaBlack
05-21-2010, 01:11 PM
If he wanted to be here so badly he would have signed with us last off season and not acted like such a jerk. He wanted to go wherever he could find a long term deal. I'm sure that he'll act nice to any fans who approach him in the Galleria and say nice things. His actions proved otherwise.

I honestly believe Dunta wanted to stay here (and hoped a deal here could have worked out), but he was chasing the money and Atlanta wanted to pay him.

IBleedTexans
05-21-2010, 01:14 PM
pretty sure it's this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMmbUmKN0E).

The good stuff is about at the 2:20 mark.

Tbs very funny.... Thanks for letting me in on the joke

BigBull17
05-21-2010, 01:40 PM
I honestly believe Dunta wanted to stay here (and hoped a deal here could have worked out), but he was chasing the money and Atlanta wanted to pay him.

There just arent alot of things that support this claim. Most signs point to the opposite, truth be told.

Texecutioner
05-21-2010, 01:44 PM

Why did you want him to stay here? He was way overrated and wanted way more money than what he was worth. I'll bet you that Jackson ends up being a much better CB than Dunta is. Dunta's rode off of his reputation from his first season throughout the last few years. He's never been as good as he was when he was a rookie. He needed a change of scenery. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play better somewhere else and it might do him some good, but I don't think he was going to get any better as a player here.

GuerillaBlack
05-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Why did you want him to stay here? He was way overrated and wanted way more money than what he was worth. I'll bet you that Jackson ends up being a much better CB than Dunta is. Dunta's rode off of his reputation from his first season throughout the last few years. He's never been as good as he was when he was a rookie. He needed a change of scenery. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play better somewhere else and it might do him some good, but I don't think he was going to get any better as a player here.

Like plenty of others have said in this thread, I would not have minded having Dunta here for at least another year. Drafting a CB would still be one of our top priorities, but you wouldn't have to throw out a rookie CB as your starter, in Week 1 versus the Colts. I think Jackson can handle it though.

b0ng
05-21-2010, 02:05 PM

I wouldn't have minded having DR here as well if he wanted to take a huge paycut to stay with the team. Sure, he wasn't that great, but you still draft Jackson in the first and you at least have some (shitty) insurance in case your rookie needs some developmental time behind a veteran.

But no effing way would I give Robinson a 50 gazillion dollar contract for his awesome use of pass interference and the 10 yard cushion.

WWJD
05-21-2010, 02:14 PM
I get the DR criticism but I do admire the way he came back from those horrific leg injuries he suffered. But he's not the same player he was and certainly the Falcons overpaid.

CloakNNNdagger
05-21-2010, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't have minded having DR here as well if he wanted to take a huge paycut to stay with the team. Sure, he wasn't that great, but you still draft Jackson in the first and you at least have some (shitty) insurance in case your rookie needs some developmental time behind a veteran.

But no effing way would I give Robinson a 50 gazillion dollar contract for his awesome use of pass interference and the 10 yard cushion.

We will never know, but I believe that if Dunta was re-signed for an additional year or two at a "decent" price, the Texans may have just relied on the development of one of the younger CBs already on the roster. And maybe they might have chosen a later round token CB again............and we could have been looking at just another year or two of the same wishfull thinking.

ChampionTexan
05-21-2010, 03:32 PM
We will never know, but I believe that if Dunta was re-signed for an additional year or two at a "decent" price, the Texans may have just relied on the development of one of the younger CBs already on the roster. And maybe they might have chosen a later round token CB again............and we could have been looking at just another year or two of the same wishfull thinking.

Yeah, if we'd franchised Dunta again, there's a good chance that the only real difference between the situation going into the '11 draft and going into this year's draft would be another year of experience for Quinn and McCain. Well, that and the 1st round TE I'm sure we would have drafted had we not had a crying need for another corner!

Mr teX
05-21-2010, 03:48 PM
He better be..

Game 1: Reggie Wayne/Pierre Garcon/Anthony Gonzalez

Game 2: Santana Moss/Malcolm Kelly/Devin Thomas

Game 3: Miles Austin/Dez Bryant

Not any easy group he's gonna be facing.

b0ng
05-21-2010, 03:51 PM
He better be..

Game 1: Reggie Wayne/Pierre Garcon/Anthony Gonzalez

Game 2: Santana Moss/Malcolm Kelly/Devin Thomas

Game 3: Miles Austin/Dez Bryant

Not any easy group he's gonna be facing.

One of these things is not like the other.

Mr teX
05-21-2010, 03:56 PM
One of these things is not like the other.

If you're refering to the redskins WR core i suspect that they'll be markedly improved now that they've got a legit qb throwing them the ball, a solid offensive gameplan & they'll all healthy.

TimeKiller
05-21-2010, 05:21 PM
DRob WAS a decent cover guy with the pop of a LBer but that guy was broken in half at Raiderland. Dunta Robinson came out of it noticeably slower, less willing in run support and more willing in mouth support. As his skills are diminishing, the Texans let him go ESPECIALLY because his contract demands were NOT diminishing. There is a really, really good chance that KJ is a better CB right now than Dunta Robinson is.

Furthermore, I heard that Pollard was basically the leader of the 2ndary and the first thing I thought was "at least it's somebody I would actually BELIEVE is a leader". I never bought that Drob led the defense and certainly not after Ryans TOOK the defense. Maybe he brought a little fire for them but next to Cushing, Pollard, Smith, Ryans....I just don't see a need for a little fire.

Quin - Wilson - Pollard - Jackson . Yeah. I have a little more hope for the secondary than I ever did with Robinson leading that crew.

gary
05-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Is Cooley going to be ready to go? He is a target. By the way, Indy got by pretty well last season with a not so great secondary. They had rookies as starting C.B.'s. Maybe their luck will work for the Texans for a change.

steelbtexan
05-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Jackson will be an upgrade over Dunta. IMHO

I'm very nervous about having a rookie (Jackson) two 2nd year players (McCain, Quin) and Barber having to face Manning twice, McNabb,Romo,Kolb,Rivers,Sanchez and McDaniels offense. With that said the talent is there to get the job done IMHO

b0ng
05-21-2010, 06:07 PM
If you're refering to the redskins WR core i suspect that they'll be markedly improved now that they've got a legit qb throwing them the ball, a solid offensive gameplan & they'll all healthy.

Isn't Moss mixed up in some sort of HGH scandal currently? Also, the skins O-line is mostly made of cardboard cut-outs. Not that McNabb is a bad QB, but those WR's are definitely not on the level of Austin/Williams/Bryant or Wayne/Gonzo/Garcon/Collie/Clark. The best thing the Skins have going for them in terms of passing is Chris Cooley, and while he's good, their game does not scare me nearly as much as what they are sandwiched in between.

steelbtexan
05-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Isn't Moss mixed up in some sort of HGH scandal currently? Also, the skins O-line is mostly made of cardboard cut-outs. Not that McNabb is a bad QB, but those WR's are definitely not on the level of Austin/Williams/Bryant or Wayne/Gonzo/Garcon/Collie/Clark. The best thing the Skins have going for them in terms of passing is Chris Cooley, and while he's good, their game does not scare me nearly as much as what they are sandwiched in between.

The Skins have Raabach,Dockery and Mike Williams.

They drafted T.Williams and Capers along with Ryan Cooks little brother. I expect their OL to be much improved. Not great but alot better than last year.

Moss, Thomas and Kelly are better than the WR crew that McNabb was throwing to 2 yrs ago in Philly. (Curtis,Pinkston,Avant etc) That doesn't even include Cooley if healthy.

b0ng
05-21-2010, 06:37 PM

They drafted T.Williams and Capers along with Ryan Cooks little brother. I expect their OL to be much improved. Not great but alot better than last year.

Moss, Thomas and Kelly are better than the WR crew that McNabb was throwing to 2 yrs ago in Philly. (Curtis,Pinkston,Avant etc) That doesn't even include Cooley if healthy.

All of these guys are woefully unproven and the best thing they have going for them is McNabb. Again though, the assertion that they are on the level of the two teams we play around the 'Skins is . . . fallacy? Yeah I'll go with fallacy for my big word of the day.

steelbtexan
05-21-2010, 06:58 PM
All of these guys are woefully unproven and the best thing they have going for them is McNabb. Again though, the assertion that they are on the level of the two teams we play around the 'Skins is . . . fallacy? Yeah I'll go with fallacy for my big word of the day.

Agreed about the fallacy thing.

Which is my point, They aren't as good as the Cowgirls or the Colts. But they are not going to be bad like the Bills,Rams,Raiders etc...

Shanny has always had good/great offenses and I would suspect that tis will continue to be the case. IMHO

thunderkyss
05-21-2010, 06:59 PM

I'm a Mario Fan... and and Antonio Smith Fan.... and an Amobi Okoye Fan...

But we need to remember the gist of this post after the Skins game. If our pass rush looks pathetic... if we blitz a lot to get pressure.. what are our excuses going to be?

Are the Skins making moves on their OL?

Mr teX
05-21-2010, 07:04 PM

Couldn't have said it any better.

That WR core is not any worse than anything mcnabb has been throwing to for the last 10 years. Their main problems stemmed from the fact that they didn't have consistent play at the qb spot & their line was horrible. they upgraded tremendously in those spots this year & barring injury, they should be pretty dynamic in shanny offense imo.

CloakNNNdagger
06-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Texans First Round Pick CB Kareem Jackson Finding His Stride Early (http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2010/06/07/texans-first-round-pick-cb-kareem-jackson-finding-his-stride-early/)

The Houston Texans first round pick, CB Kareem Jackson, appears to have locked up the starting corner spot opposite CB Glover Quinn. He’s earning praise and positive criticism from his coaches, and if he can get up to speed by Week 1, then the Texans just might have the defensive backfield to take on the Colts wideout arsenal.

Head Coach Gary Kubiak is impressed with what the Crimson Tide- and Nick Saban-coached product brings to the team. ”He’s been very impressive. He jumps in there like he belongs. We’ve got a long way to go, but I like his size,” Kubiak told the AP. ”He’s got good size and strength, very well coached.”

The Houston Chronicle’s Jeffrey Martin reported that Defensive Backs Coach David Gibbs sees Jackson fitting into the defense, only days into OTAs. “If you want me to give you some good stuff, you might want to wait a couple of days,” Gibbs said. “He’s only been here (a short time). But he’s doing good. He’s working. He’s learning the defense, and he looks like he fits in. He’s got a long way to go, but I see what I saw on his college film.”

Hard hitting SS Bernard Pollard, coached by Gibbs in Kansas City in ‘08, told the AP that he sees potential in Jackson. ”Everybody is working hard and somebody’s got some shoes to fill with Dunta being gone,” Pollard said. “The rookie is learning, but I think he’s going to be a really, really good player once he gets everything down.”

Texans highlight WR Jacoby Jones sees potential as well, telling Martin that Jackson’s has just begun. ”He’s a great athlete,” Jones said. “He’s Kareem Jackson, and he can play ball for us.”

For now, it appears Jackson will beat out veteran Jacques Reeves, Fred Bennett and third year corner Antwuan Molden for the starting job opposite Quin. But for now, Jackson’s only adjusting to the NFL:

“I’ll eventually do it. … I think I’m progressing for the best. It’s not an ability thing. It’s just figuring out what’s going on.”

gary
06-08-2010, 09:45 PM
All thry need now is someone to step up at FS.