PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Texans pass rush info from KC Joyner

Texans_Chick
05-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Here's the latest post at TC Blog:

Talking pass rush with KC Joyner, with (surprising?) Mario Williams numbers (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/05/talking_pass_rush_with_kc_joyn.html)

Learned new stuff.

I like asking outsiders to the Texans to provide stuff on the team because it's like new blood. Sometimes I think that because not that many people write about the Texans, we tend to get a group think or stereotypes on players. So it's been fun getting outsiders to share their points of view on things.

jaayteetx
05-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Nice to see some some solid evidence of what most of us think, Mario is a beast.

BullNation4Life
05-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Here's the latest post at TC Blog:

Talking pass rush with KC Joyner, with (surprising?) Mario Williams numbers (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/05/talking_pass_rush_with_kc_joyn.html)

Learned new stuff.

I like asking outsiders to the Texans to provide stuff on the team because it's like new blood. Sometimes I think that because not that many people write about the Texans, we tend to get a group think or stereotypes on players. So it's been fun getting outsiders to share their points of view on things.

All I know is that Mario Williams, 4 years in, is like 1 sack off of where Julius Peppers was his first 4 years and I will take that.

It is uncanny how similar these 2 players are to each other....

Texans_Chick
05-18-2010, 11:59 AM
I have three commenters who show up and continually complain about Mario Williams not being any good. I wonder if they show up. (And no, as far as I know, none of those commenters are Richard Justice).

El Tejano
05-18-2010, 12:06 PM
All I know is that Mario Williams, 4 years in, is like 1 sack off of where Julius Peppers was his first 4 years and I will take that.

It is uncanny how similar these 2 players are to each other....

Which means he will want Julius Peppers money very soon.

Ole Miss Texan
05-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Yet more great info, TC! One thing that is never seperated out (probably due to it being complicated to do so) is Antonio Smith's pass rush stats as a DT vs. a DE. I'd be interested in % of plays he lines up at each position, stats from each position, etc. Us fans have come to the conclusion that our DE play if great but our DT pass rush is sub-par. If most of Smith's stats are coming from the DE position and few are from the DT position... then it wouldn't seem to be an effective solution to put him inside. However, if a decent % of his good plays come as a DT, then the added presence of another pass rusher at DE like Barwin should be great. I know this would probably be a pretty intricate exercise and probably why we don't hear much about it.

BullNation4Life
05-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Which means he will want Julius Peppers money very soon.

Yup! Especially if he has a double digit sack year and another Pro Bowl appearance...

Texans_Chick
05-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Yet more great info, TC! One thing that is never seperated out (probably due to it being complicated to do so) is Antonio Smith's pass rush stats as a DT vs. a DE. I'd be interested in % of plays he lines up at each position, stats from each position, etc. Us fans have come to the conclusion that our DE play if great but our DT pass rush is sub-par. If most of Smith's stats are coming from the DE position and few are from the DT position... then it wouldn't seem to be an effective solution to put him inside. However, if a decent % of his good plays come as a DT, then the added presence of another pass rusher at DE like Barwin should be great. I know this would probably be a pretty intricate exercise and probably why we don't hear much about it.

I don't have that info, and I'm not sure that I can get it, but check out the defensive tackle post (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/05/on_the_texans_and_runstuffing.html) from a couple of weeks ago.

BullNation4Life
05-18-2010, 12:32 PM

I watched the replay of the Texans vs Colts game in Indy this past weekend on NFL network( and Kris Brown STILL missed that FG, even on the replay...go figure) and verified something I thought to be true about Smith. Anytime the Texans got a rush on the QB up the middle, it was Smith pushing. Mario got a sack on Manning in that game because they moved Smith down and Smith literally shoved the guard into Manning and threw Manning off balance while Mario came in on the side for the sack.

I bet you dimes to donuts that the highest percentage of pass rush up the middle was because of Smith...

I am hoping they move Smith down, put Barwin on the other DE and put Mitchell, the rookie, next to Smith. If Mitchell has the gap slashing ability that he had at Arizona, he a Smith could reek havoc up the middle for sure.

Ole Miss Texan
05-18-2010, 12:43 PM
I watched the replay of the Texans vs Colts game in Indy this past weekend on NFL network( and Kris Brown STILL missed that FG, even on the replay...go figure) and verified something I thought to be true about Smith. Anytime the Texans got a rush on the QB up the middle, it was Smith pushing. Mario got a sack on Manning in that game because they moved Smith down and Smith literally shoved the guard into Manning and threw Manning off balance while Mario came in on the side for the sack.

I bet you dimes to donuts that the highest percentage of pass rush up the middle was because of Smith...

I am hoping they move Smith down, put Barwin on the other DE and put Mitchell, the rookie, next to Smith. If Mitchell has the gag slashing ability that he had at Arizona, he a Smith could reek havoc up the middle for sure.
Thanks! That IS really good, hopefully that's an accurate picture of the season. I love how the DE's and DT's feed off each other. Without the ability to step up in the pocket (due to the DT's doing their job), Mario and Barwin's sacks and pressures will see dramatic improvement. Not that they're bad as they are! Same with the DE's pursuing from the outside, forcing the QB to step up... the DT's (theoretically) can get off their block and tackle the QB. Oh how I want a dominant DL like the Giants had during their Super Bowl year!

Texan_Bill
05-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Very interesting to see that the Texans best year in terms of sacks, was the 2-14 season....

jaayteetx
05-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Very interesting to see that the Texans best year in terms of sacks, was the 2-14 season....

Mmm, can you say garbage time?

infantrycak
05-18-2010, 01:07 PM

9.5 sacks out of 37 coming from the DL with Payne having 4 of those. Peek 7 and Orr 6 led the way. But that was the 3-4 days.

Damn I wish we had 2002 Payne now.

El Tejano
05-18-2010, 04:39 PM
9.5 sacks out of 37 coming from the DL with Payne having 4 of those. Peek 7 and Orr 6 led the way. But that was the 3-4 days.

His career ending injury was very costly. If he never got hurt we may just be barely talking about letting him go. Mario would've been tremendous alot sooner had he had a chance to play with Payne.

Tailgate
05-18-2010, 04:42 PM
The trend in the second half of last year is a bit encouraging. I am excited to see what impact Connor Barwin has in year 2 and if he can help excelerate that trend.

TimeKiller
05-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Stab at DL Depth chart anyone?
Williams
Smith
Barwin
Okoye
Cody
Mitchell
Bulman
Okam

Barwin is situational, Cody situational, Mitchell situational, Okoye IS a situation. Okam is just a really, really big guy...

The depth really needs to round out behind the presence of Williams and the grit of Smith. Barwin is doing nicely, I think he'll have a nice year and take a few steps toward reaching his potential as a pass rusher but he's got along way to go for run defense and pass coverage. Okoye I guess is our new Travis Johnson "run stopping" DT. Okoye's new nickname is Okay'e....cuz he's just....okay. Of the rest Mitchell has a little flash people will be looking for but nobody else is expected to do much. We're gonna need more scheme sacks to make an impact as a defense, not just relying on a few dudes to be great individuals.

Ole Miss Texan
05-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Williams
Smith
Barwin
Okoye
Cody
Mitchell
Bulman
Okam

Replace Frank Okam with Deljuan Robinson and you'll get what I think we go with.

JB
05-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Williams
Smith
Barwin
Okoye
Cody
Mitchell
Bulman
Okam

Barwin is situational, Cody situational, Mitchell situational, Okoye IS a situation. Okam is just a really, really big guy...

The depth really needs to round out behind the presence of Williams and the grit of Smith. Barwin is doing nicely, I think he'll have a nice year and take a few steps toward reaching his potential as a pass rusher but he's got along way to go for run defense and pass coverage. Okoye I guess is our new Travis Johnson "run stopping" DT. Okoye's new nickname is Okay'e....cuz he's just....okay. Of the rest Mitchell has a little flash people will be looking for but nobody else is expected to do much. We're gonna need more scheme sacks to make an impact as a defense, not just relying on a few dudes to be great individuals.

Replace Frank Okam with Deljuan Robinson and you'll get what I think we go with.

Last year we carried 10 DL. I think we will carry at least 9 this year

Runner
05-18-2010, 08:16 PM

Damn that New Orleans Astroturf.