PDA

View Full Version : Cushing press conference @ 1pm Central

Pages : [1] 2

barrett
05-12-2010, 05:46 PM
NickScurfield

Texans LB Brian Cushing will address the media tomorrow in a 1 pm CT press conference. Watch it live on HoustonTexans.com

www.twitter.com

b0ng
05-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Double rods then chunk deuce.

(Kidding)

Kaiser Toro
05-12-2010, 06:01 PM
I could care less about Cushing addressing anyone, just want him to address his regimen as it pertains to the NFL policy so that it has no impact on a loss of games, nor his level of play.

NBT
05-12-2010, 06:08 PM
I just want Cushing to hurry up and get back on the field. The defense will not be the same without his physical presence.

2slik4u
05-12-2010, 06:51 PM
NickScurfield

Texans LB Brian Cushing will address the media tomorrow in a 1 pm CT press conference. Watch it live on HoustonTexans.com

www.twitter.com

Im assuming this is tomorrow the 13th???? do you know if it will be on tv?

JB
05-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Im assuming this is tomorrow the 13th???? do you know if it will be on tv?

I'm sure it will be. At least on FSW if nowhere else.

edit: Probably NFLN also.

Texan_Bill
05-12-2010, 08:16 PM
I could care less about Cushing addressing anyone, just want him to address his regimen as it pertains to the NFL policy so that it has no impact on a loss of games, nor his level of play.

WOW KT, you and I are on the same page... Who da thunk it? ;)

Norg
05-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Iam so sick of this story Let it go people Man any story that comes out the NFLN takes it and milks it so bad

HOU-TEX
05-13-2010, 08:58 AM

Agreed. However, I do think he should address his team. As far as what he say to the media and the fans...pffft, it'll likely be bullbutter anyways.

GP
05-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Double rods then chunk deuce.

(Kidding)

LOL.

Then form tackle a random reporter. Never saying a single word the whole time.

Icing on the cake.

dalemurphy
05-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Agreed. However, I do think he should address his team. As far as what he say to the media and the fans...pffft, it'll likely be bullbutter anyways.

I couldn't disagree more. I think players and coaches have an obligation to the fans. I want to hear what he has to say. I only wish there were competent media representatives there to ask him good questions.

HOU-TEX
05-13-2010, 09:03 AM
LOL.

Icing on the cake.

Preferably Justice. If not, McGobbler would suffice.

HOU-TEX
05-13-2010, 09:05 AM
I couldn't disagree more. I think players and coaches have an obligation to the fans. I want to hear what he has to say. I only wish there were competent media representatives there to ask him good questions.

You actually think he'd tell the truth? It doesn't matter what the media asks if the player's going to dodge or lie while answering.

Goldensilence
05-13-2010, 09:16 AM

Then again how many press conferences just turn into the person reading a scripted statement?

GP
05-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Preferably Justice. If not, McGobbler would suffice.

McGobbler. LOL!

Are you the one who has all the McGrady name-twists over in the NBA forum?

McGobbler is epic. I don't think I can rep you anymore right now. LOL x 1 billion.

Runner
05-13-2010, 09:28 AM
You actually think he'd tell the truth? It doesn't matter what the media asks if the player's going to dodge or lie while answering.

Yep. There is some history of athletes being disingenuous about supplement/drug/steroid use, to say the least. I don't think the bull on Cushing's helmet automatically makes him any more or less candid on the matter.

eriadoc
05-13-2010, 09:32 AM
First of all, he took a substance that's on the banned list. That's not even debatable. So he's guilty.

Second, there's no way he's going to tell any truth other than that, if he even does that. If he truly, honestly believes he didn't take the substance (despite the failed test), then he will have to put the league on blast in order to say so. Calling the NFL a bunch of liars at this point is liable to get him a speech from the Godfather. If he is guilty of taking the substance (or worse), he's not going to say so.

The PC will be a waste of time.

drewmar74
05-13-2010, 09:40 AM
LOL.

Icing on the cake.

I want to see the "Against the Raiders for a safety" style takedown tackle.

BUT

I agree. It absolutely has to be done without a word being spoken.

HOU-TEX
05-13-2010, 09:41 AM
McGobbler. LOL!

Are you the one who has all the McGrady name-twists over in the NBA forum?

McGobbler is epic. I don't think I can rep you anymore right now. LOL x 1 billion.

Ha, there were plenty of us that destroyed McPurse's name. He made it too easy.

El Tejano
05-13-2010, 09:48 AM
I hope he scores a TD this year and holds the football to his other arm like a sorenge as his endzone celebration.

steelbtexan
05-13-2010, 09:59 AM

How's it up there on that moral mountian Dale.

Cushing doesn't owe me anything, you either.

He does owe the Texans an explanation. They write the checks and his actions are going to hurt the team. (4 game suspension)

Runner
05-13-2010, 10:02 AM
I hope he scores a TD this year and holds the football to his other arm like a sorenge as his endzone celebration.

After all, if you can't showboat about a failed drug test, what can you showboat about?

GP
05-13-2010, 10:07 AM

:penalty:

:fans: :d: :perfect10:

GP
05-13-2010, 10:09 AM
After all, if you can't showboat about a failed drug test, what can you showboat about?

Remember former Rockets player Sam Cassell, and he would do his "Big Boy" dance where he holds his hands way down low, indicating large testicles?

Maybe Cushing could do a revised version of it?

Runner
05-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Remember former Rockets player Sam Cassell, and he would do his "Big Boy" dance where he holds his hands way down low, indicating large testicles?

Maybe Cushing could do a revised version of it?

Picture the dance Roethlisberger could do to protest his suspension. Would that be more or less "funny"?

There could be a new trend of suspension dances.

Edit: I'm not equating Cushing's alleged violation to Roethlisberger's alleged crime. I'm just making a commentary about players protesting their suspensions through end zone celebrations.

GP
05-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Picture the dance Roethlisberger could do to protest his suspension. Would that be more or less "funny"?

Ben would yank a random female from the stands, and then have his offensive linemen encircle Ben and the lady...with the lady slapping him and running back into the stands. Followed by the field goal kicker, dressed in security uniform, tasing Ben. And a facepalm by Tomlin on the sideline.

Chad Johnson gives it a 5.5 because, like the Russian judge, he's never going to admit that the competish really pulled off a good one.

I wanted to fit Davenport in there somehow, with a simulation of taking a dump. But I think that's pushing the envelope of tasteful discourse here.

El Tejano
05-13-2010, 10:22 AM

They are going to scrutinize him anyways.

El Tejano
05-13-2010, 10:23 AM
:penalty:

:fans: :d: :perfect10:

Are you agreeing or calling foul on me?

GP
05-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Are you agreeing or calling foul on me?

Penalty called on you for severe unsportsmanlike conduct via Cushing doing the Injection Dance.

But the crowd goes wild, regardless, because we roll like that.

I approve.

GP
05-13-2010, 10:27 AM

Edit: I'm not equating Cushing's alleged violation to Roethlisberger's alleged crime. I'm just making a commentary about players protesting their suspensions through end zone celebrations.

John Clayton is not happy with you right now.

And Adam Schein is on his Scheinbox with a quick rebuke of your statement.

You're so screwed.

Ole Miss Texan
05-13-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't think Cushing necessarily "owes" us anything but at the end of the day, he IS in the entertainment industry and doesn't want the fans or media to look at him as a cheater or in any negative light. I do concur that he needs to address this with the League, Players Association, Texans Front Office and his Teammates... maybe even other players in the league.

The Pencil Neck
05-13-2010, 10:41 AM
I don't think Cushing necessarily "owes" us anything but at the end of the day, he IS in the entertainment industry and doesn't want the fans or media to look at him as a cheater or in any negative light. I do concur that he needs to address this with the League, Players Association, Texans Front Office and his Teammates... maybe even other players in the league.

Why not? Lots of wrestlers make tons of money by being portrayed as cheaters and in general just being negative.

Unlike many "entertainers", his pay won't be determined by what the fans think of him. He could end up being a player like a Romanowski that most fans hated unless he was on their team.

c10x
05-13-2010, 10:47 AM

He didn't "fail" anything. He tested positive. There's a difference.

GET JACKED SON!!

Texans_Chick
05-13-2010, 10:48 AM
My thoughts on the presser, what the AP revote really means, stupid excuse making, random blurgh:

Brian Cushing speaks (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/05/brian_cushing_speaks.html)

Runner
05-13-2010, 10:50 AM

GET JACKED SON!!

You will have to explain that difference to me.

drewmar74
05-13-2010, 11:01 AM
I wanted to fit Davenport in there somehow, with a simulation of taking a dump. But I think that's pushing the envelope of tasteful discourse here.

When Dookie sees the young lady coming down from the stands, he grabs a 5 gallon gatorade jug and simulates dropping trou as he squats over it while watching the rest of Ben's celebration.

Meanwhile, Joe Buck says "That's disgusting."

HOU-TEX
05-13-2010, 11:06 AM

GET JACKED SON!!

Umm, yeah, me too

GP
05-13-2010, 11:09 AM
When Dookie sees the young lady coming down from the stands, he grabs a 5 gallon gatorade jug and simulates dropping trou as he squats over it while watching the rest of Ben's celebration.

Meanwhile, Joe Buck says "That's disgusting."

No. Joe Buck says "That's...freaking AWESOME. Championship."

Or, "Wow. I did NOT see that one coming. Davenport with the exclamation point right there. And that'll just about do it, folks. Have a safe trip home, and require the Pittsburgh state troopers to show i.d. if they pull you over. Good afternoon, everyone. I'm Joe Buck."

Ole Miss Texan
05-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Why not? Lots of wrestlers make tons of money by being portrayed as cheaters and in general just being negative.

Unlike many "entertainers", his pay won't be determined by what the fans think of him. He could end up being a player like a Romanowski that most fans hated unless he was on their team.

The media writes about these guys. Most players don't want to get on their bad side because they're just like anybody else. If they don't like you, it's easier for them to write bad stuff about you or sway things negatively. If you're a great player and have good relations with the media, they're less likely to throw you under the bus. I assume he doesn't want them writing about steroid stuff all the time throughout his career, especially after he does so well. If the writers see him in a negative light they're much more likely to to pound this into the ground instead of dropping it like they did with Peppers.

As far as the fanbase goes, we go to the games, we buy the merchandise. His contract with the team isn't determined by what we think, you're right about that. But there's merchandis to be sold, jerseys to be sold, radio shows to do, commercials to do, product placement, etc etc. That additional income. But besides that, its just not about money. I assume most players would rather be viewed positively by fans than negatively. He doesn't want to alienate the fanbase.

dalemurphy
05-13-2010, 11:55 AM
How's it up there on that moral mountian Dale.

Cushing doesn't owe me anything, you either.

He does owe the Texans an explanation. They write the checks and his actions are going to hurt the team. (4 game suspension)

It's been a rough few days up here!

"They write the checks" because fans watch the games, and buy the merchandise. So, I think he absolutely owes me an explanation.

dalemurphy
05-13-2010, 12:00 PM

I think it is often easy to tell when someone is lying or avoiding the truth. Think about McGwire in front of the Senate, for example. If Cushing truly hasn't taken stereoids and is concerned that others know that, he can offer the kind of willingness and evidence to make it pretty clear. When someone is being dishonest, they will naturally be inclined to limit information. If he goes to the podium and reads a statement and refuses to answer any questions, then he is clearly hiding something. If he is willing to answer questions in detail, is adamant about what he has and has not done, then he is either telling the truth or setting the stage to be caught and then publicly obliterated.

beerlover
05-13-2010, 12:50 PM
I think it is often easy to tell when someone is lying or avoiding the truth. Think about McGwire in front of the Senate, for example. If Cushing truly hasn't taken stereoids and is concerned that others know that, he can offer the kind of willingness and evidence to make it pretty clear. When someone is being dishonest, they will naturally be inclined to limit information. If he goes to the podium and reads a statement and refuses to answer any questions, then he is clearly hiding something. If he is willing to answer questions in detail, is adamant about what he has and has not done, then he is either telling the truth or setting the stage to be caught and then publicly obliterated.

I wonder how the Cowboys in Jerryville would spin this :thinking:

The Pencil Neck
05-13-2010, 12:55 PM
It's been a rough few days up here!

"They write the checks" because fans watch the games, and buy the merchandise. So, I think he absolutely owes me an explanation.

You're going to watch the games and buy the merchandise regardless of what Cushing says. You may not buy a Cushing jersey but there are lots of other player's jerseys that you will buy.

Runner
05-13-2010, 12:58 PM

Umm, yeah, me too

From Spin 101 class:

Option 1. Cushing failed a drug test.
Casual observer: Failed! Drug! That's two bad things. This can't be good.

Option 2. Cushing tested positive for a banned substance.
Casual observer: The banned substance part sounds bad, but there is some positive here.

Option 3. Cushing tested positive for hCG.
Casual observer: Way to go Brian! High five!

The Pencil Neck
05-13-2010, 01:11 PM
The media writes about these guys. Most players don't want to get on their bad side because they're just like anybody else. If they don't like you, it's easier for them to write bad stuff about you or sway things negatively. If you're a great player and have good relations with the media, they're less likely to throw you under the bus. I assume he doesn't want them writing about steroid stuff all the time throughout his career, especially after he does so well. If the writers see him in a negative light they're much more likely to to pound this into the ground instead of dropping it like they did with Peppers.

As far as the fanbase goes, we go to the games, we buy the merchandise. His contract with the team isn't determined by what we think, you're right about that. But there's merchandis to be sold, jerseys to be sold, radio shows to do, commercials to do, product placement, etc etc. That additional income. But besides that, its just not about money. I assume most players would rather be viewed positively by fans than negatively. He doesn't want to alienate the fanbase.

As fans, we're going to go to the games and buy the merchandise anyway. You may not buy a Cushing jersey, but you'll buy someone else's. And to the league, that's all that really matters.

And... publicity is publicity. Getting a lot of people talking negatively about you will actually get you more air time and more interviews and more people buying your jersey than no publicity at all. I mean, look at all the great things that guys like Okoye do. How much publicity have all his charitable acts given him? How many interviews? How many extra jerseys? Just by getting his name out there and mentioned a lot, people are going to be aware of him and pulling for him (or pulling against him).

If the press starts going after this guy, they could easily turn public opinion to his side.

Tailgate
05-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Well, guess they better "figure" this whole HCG thing out "internally" and he better come back just as good for a long time.

b0ng
05-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Are any of you knuckleheads actually watching the conference?

The Pencil Neck
05-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Are any of you knuckleheads actually watching the conference?

Yep.

His position is:

He doesn't know how the hell the hCG got into his system. He played the season thinking he had a tumor or something causing it. He's going to (or has been) working with doctors to try to find out what happened.

Thorn
05-13-2010, 01:14 PM
I watched it. And my stance hasn't changed. Until something comes along that offers up something real, because neither the NFL or Cushing has really presented anything but talk, I'm taking Cushing at his word.

Kimmy
05-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Yep.

His position is:

He doesn't know how the hell the hCG got into his system. He played the season thinking he had a tumor or something causing it. He's going to (or has been) working with doctors to try to find out what happened.

Why didn't he go to the doctor THEN?? Seriously -- I'm calling bull****

dalemurphy
05-13-2010, 01:19 PM
You're going to watch the games and buy the merchandise regardless of what Cushing says. You may not buy a Cushing jersey but there are lots of other player's jerseys that you will buy.

If I come to the conclusion that we have a team full of cheaters and that the organization is willing to look the other way, then I wouldn't buy merchandise or attend the games.

drewmar74
Yep.

His position is:

:mcnugget:

My wife and I don't know how these kids keep getting in our house. We've been thinking its a tumor or something causing it. But rest assured we're working with doctors to try to find out where they're coming from.

infantrycak

He said he was working with doctors to figure out how he got the elevated level. Where do you think he got the possibility it might be a tumor?

HoustonFrog
05-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Yep.

His position is:

I smell weak b.s. Sorry, JMO. He is pointing to something that can't be proven thus it just sits out there. It's not a rogue supplement that can be tested or an accident. It's just thin air. I can't buy it until he presents something substantial.

Runner
05-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Yep.

His position is:

Interesting. I wonder what substance was in the supplement he was warned about earlier was.

=======

Maybe he took a tainted B12 shot (or has that one been used?)

GuerillaBlack
05-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Damn, didn't realize it was on until five minutes ago. Just finished watchin Meco.

dalemurphy
05-13-2010, 01:23 PM
He said he was working with doctors to figure out how he got the elevated level. Where do you think he got the possibility it might be a tumor?

He paraphrased one of the doctors saying that there are two ways to get the hCG into your system, either "injected or because of a tumor"... I think the word "tumor" was shocking... but, I think his point is that he's worried about why his body is producing so much hCG, both because of his health and his concern that he could test positive for it again.

dalemurphy
05-13-2010, 01:24 PM
:mcnugget:

My wife and I don't know how these kids keep getting in our house. We've been thinking its a tumor or something causing it. But rest assured we're working with doctors to try to find out where they're coming from.

bad analogy. lame!

The Pencil Neck
05-13-2010, 01:24 PM

I was under the understanding that he has been seeing doctors and that was part of the "science" that he gave to the league.

CloakNNNdagger
05-13-2010, 01:25 PM
I believe that Cushing responded that one of his main concerns is his health and something like “Why this substance repeatedly comes up.” Did I not hear this correctly?

Runner
05-13-2010, 01:25 PM
He paraphrased one of the doctors saying that there are two ways to get the hCG into your system, either "injected or because of a tumor"... I think the word "tumor" was shocking... but, I think his point is that he's worried about why his body is producing so much hCG, both because of his health and his concern that he could test positive for it again.

I wonder if all of the negative tests after the positive one could occur if it was caused by a tumor.

wagonhed
05-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Some of the folks around here remind me of a certain phrase....

"With fans like these, who needs enemies?"

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

dalemurphy
I was under the understanding that he has been seeing doctors and that was part of the "science" that he gave to the league.

Poor journalism. They should've asked, "what scientific data did you give to the league?"... but, yeah, it did sound like he's been working with doctors since the positive test came back to him in October.

infantrycak
I smell weak b.s. Sorry, JMO. He is pointing to something that can't be proven thus it just sits out there.

I'm sorry, were you referring to all the folks who are assuming steroids?

That's what I heard several times.

Runner
05-13-2010, 01:27 PM
I believe that Cushing responded that one of his main concerns is his health and something like “Why this substance repeatedly comes up.” Did I not hear this correctly?

I wasn't iistening. I thought he only had one positive test though.

Ole Miss Texan
05-13-2010, 01:30 PM
As fans, we're going to go to the games and buy the merchandise anyway. You may not buy a Cushing jersey, but you'll buy someone else's. And to the league, that's all that really matters.

And... publicity is publicity. Getting a lot of people talking negatively about you will actually get you more air time and more interviews and more people buying your jersey than no publicity at all. I mean, look at all the great things that guys like Okoye do. How much publicity have all his charitable acts given him? How many interviews? How many extra jerseys? Just by getting his name out there and mentioned a lot, people are going to be aware of him and pulling for him (or pulling against him).

If the press starts going after this guy, they could easily turn public opinion to his side.
This is about Cushing first and foremost. Not the league making money. You're right about getting air time and such when people are talking negatively about you. But that's not what Cushing wants. The local Chevy dealership isn't going to call him because of all the negative talk and ask him to do a commercial. They're going to call him to do a commercial and promote their product when the fanbase respects him and what he stands for.

He's an extremely hard worker and would rather be known for the badass player he is because of his hardwork and dedication. He doesn't want to be known as a cheater, especially if he hasn't cheated. He wants kids to look up at the way he's achieved everything and mimic that hard work... not cheat.

dalemurphy
I wonder if all of the negative tests after the positive one could occur if it was caused by a tumor.

The better question is whether the other tests also showed his hCG to be elevated (but still below the outlawed level)... or, if he tested right now, would it still be elevated. Everything produced by the body will fluctuate depending on a myriad of factors. I'm more interested in what his median level is at relative to the normal range.

drewmar74
It's nooot a toooomah!

http://www.newhealthbasics.com/Art/Arnold-Kindergarten-Cop-230.jpg

Actually, I'd rather an easily treatable tumor than steroids.... but I couldn't help throwing Ahnold in there.

Kimmy

If he did say that, then I would be a little less inclined to not believe him. I may have missed him saying that part.

Look, don't get me wrong, I bleed for this team just like the rest of us do, I just really dislike having any kind of "*" next to our players.

No, we do NOT have to be the "golden children do no wrong", but we don't have to cheat, either.

infantrycak
05-13-2010, 01:31 PM

I didn't hear that but do you know how the reporting on this stuff works the way they test for it?

Is it one of these normal is 0 - (just picking a random number) .01 deals and the NFL's limit is .012? Then conceivably he could have had tests of .009 where he saw he was upper end of norm and approaching the NFL standard without ever previously having gone over.

HoustonFrog
I'm sorry, were you referring to all the folks who are assuming steroids?

That's what I heard several times.

No, but it is something that can't be tested or proven unless a doctor comes out and says, he has a tumor. I'm sorry that I don't buy it. Sports has become an industry where we are fed b.s. daily because it keeps guys getting paid...McGuire, Sosa and others were all good guys who seemed likeable but failed to hold up their end of the bargain. They denied it for years. If Reggie Bush had been drafted instead of Mario and was being drilled about his money deal at USC would people here have then said they would trust Reggie when he said "I did nothing?" I just don't buy un-quantafiables. The test was quantafiable. Sorry that I'm not bound and determined to lessen it or make an excuse for it.

gtexan02
It's nooot a toooomah!

http://www.newhealthbasics.com/Art/Arnold-Kindergarten-Cop-230.jpg

Actually, I'd rather an easily treatable tumor than steroids.... but I couldn't help throwing Ahnold in there.

Thats a strange thing to say.

You'd rather one of players have a tumor than be on steroids?

CloakNNNdagger
When do they post the video for review? It's not available now.

texansdrummer
05-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I wasn't iistening. I thought he only had one positive test though.

It is possible that he could may have had unusually high levels of HcG in other tests that were not over whatever the NFL may determine to be "illegal". The test is not a positive/negative test, it is a measure of the amount of HcG in a person's system. Think of it like a blood alcohol test.

Goldensilence
05-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Some of the folks around here remind me of a certain phrase....

"With fans like these, who needs enemies?"

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Weak dude. Just weak.

You know you could add something to the discussion instead of relegating yourself to the side taking shots at people.

Runner
I didn't hear that but do you know how the reporting on this stuff works the way they test for it?

Is it one of these normal is 0 - (just picking a random number) .01 deals and the NFL's limit is .012? Then conceivably he could have had tests of .009 where he saw he was upper end of norm and approaching the NFL standard without ever previously having gone over.

Maybe there were other, more sensitive tests too.

drewmar74
Thats a strange thing to say.

You'd rather one of players have a tumor than be on steroids?

Well, there is no right answer.

That's why I qualified tumor with "easily treatable."

I'd rather none of the above, thank you very much. No tumor or steroids because, ultimately, both would be bad for Cushing and regardless of what happens to him as a Texan, I suppose his health matters more.

It's a crappy situation no matter what and I was trying to inject a slight bit of levity.

Oh, and I'm rather sleep deprived at the moment, so there's that, too.

The Pencil Neck
I smell weak b.s. Sorry, JMO. He is pointing to something that can't be proven thus it just sits out there. It's not a rogue supplement that can be tested or an accident. It's just thin air. I can't buy it until he presents something substantial.

The thing is, the human body makes hCG. Everyone has it in their body. It's not like it only gets there if he injected it.

His level was elevated. From everything we've heard, it was elevated "slightly". That could possibly be from some medical condition. If that's the case, then he does need to find out how it happened and get that cleared up if possible. If he comes back with an actual medical condition that is treatable, then maybe he could get the suspension lifted.

IF he's telling the truth and he didn't inject it and he didn't ingest it, then there's not much else to say except that he's trying to figure out how/why the test came back positive and he's trying to figure out how to keep it from happening again.

IF he's NOT telling the truth, then he should know how to keep it from happening again.

dalemurphy
If he did say that, then I would be a little less inclined to not believe him. I may have missed him saying that part.

Look, don't get me wrong, I bleed for this team just like the rest of us do, I just really dislike having any kind of "*" next to our players.

No, we do NOT have to be the "golden children do no wrong", but we don't have to cheat, either.

I agree with your sentiment. I am inclined to believe him. He was very unreserved and didn't seem coached when he answered the questions. He was adamant. He answered every question. He even took a freakin' polygraph test. Seems to me that he is telling the truth.

dalemurphy
05-13-2010, 01:35 PM

CND, it usually takes at least 2 hours.

MojoMan
05-13-2010, 01:36 PM

However long it takes them to attach an extremely annoying advertisement onto the front of it. In the past, that task has taken half a day or so. It will probably be up later today or tomorrow morning.

The Pencil Neck
05-13-2010, 01:36 PM

Yeah, I heard that, too.

I thought that was actually a slip of the tongue on his part. In the context, I think he was trying to say something along the lines that since they don't know why it happened, it could happen again and be totally out of his control.

infantrycak
05-13-2010, 01:37 PM
The test was quantafiable. Soory that I'm not bound and determined to lessen it or make an excuse for it.

You completely missed the point. Yes the test is quantifiable and he failed the NFL standard for hcg, not steroids and is now going to pay the price no matter how that came about. That's the facts and isn't lessening or making an excuse for it in any fashion.

What certainly is not quantifiable is your then assuming it proves he took steroids which it does not. Then you compound the error of having made one assumption and turn around demanding proof of a tumor when there's no proof of steroids.

drewmar74
05-13-2010, 01:39 PM
What kind of tumor would cause the hgc to be elevated? Rather, where in the body?

HoustonFrog
05-13-2010, 01:40 PM
The thing is, the human body makes hCG. Everyone has it in their body. It's not like it only gets there if he injected it.

His level was elevated. From everything we've heard, it was elevated "slightly". That could possibly be from some medical condition. If that's the case, then he does need to find out how it happened and get that cleared up if possible. If he comes back with an actual medical condition that is treatable, then maybe he could get the suspension lifted.

IF he's telling the truth and he didn't inject it and he didn't ingest it, then there's not much else to say except that he's trying to figure out how/why the test came back positive and he's trying to figure out how to keep it from happening again.

IF he's NOT telling the truth, then he should know how to keep it from happening again.

Agree with you completely. If he is tested and they find a medical reason then I'm cool and glad they found the cause. My present reasoning goes something like this though until they do:

A-Cushing has trail of steroid whispers since high school
B-Cushing plays a year in the NFL and tests for a substance
C-Said Substance isn't dope, cocaine, uppers, ephedra but a substance known to help people post steroid cycle.
D-A and C makes for a logical case

Take this with what other team officials say, etc and until I see proof otherwise, it is the logical conclusion.

You completely missed the point. Yes the test is quantifiable and he failed the NFL standard for hcg, not steroids and is now going to pay the price no matter how that came about. That's the facts and isn't lessening or making an excuse for it in any fashion.

What certainly is not quantifiable is your then assuming it proves he took steroids which it does not. Then you compound the error of having made one assumption and turn around demanding proof of a tumor when there's no proof of steroids.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm just taking the above path. I mean if I get nailed for DWI it might sound real cool for me to opine that my body is keeping abnormal amounts of alcohol in my system despite my best efforts but the better conclusion is that I like to drink. :)

IDEXAN
Tumors ? So did he walk across the street from Reliant to the best Cancer
facility in the world (MD Anderson), to get himself checked out ?

dalemurphy

HoustonFrog is a Cowboy fan, right? So, his only hope as a fan is to tear down the morality of everyone in the NFL so that he doesn't feel so dirty rooting for that appalling team of his.

CloakNNNdagger
05-13-2010, 01:41 PM

It is a quantitative test not just a qualitative test. In other words, it measure levels, not like the over the counter pregnancy tests that are negative because they don't change color or positive (for presence at a certain level or beyond) because they turn a certain color. But the levels that the NFL uses in their testing in general to determine a positive test have a healthy buffer above what would normally be expected.

infantrycak
What kind of tumor would cause the hgc to be elevated? Rather, where in the body?

HCG (also known as beta-HCG) blood levels are elevated in patients with some types of testicular and ovarian cancers (germ cell tumors) and in gestational trophoblastic disease, mainly choriocarcinoma. They are also higher in some people with mediastinal germ cell tumors -- cancers in the middle of the chest (the mediastinum) that start in the same cells as germ cell tumors of the testicles and ovaries. Levels of HCG can be used to help diagnose these conditions and can be followed over time to see how well treatment is working. They can also be used to look for cancer that has come back after treatment has ended (recurrence).

An elevated blood level of HCG will also raise suspicions of cancer in certain situations. For example, in a woman who still has a large uterus after pregnancy has ended, a high blood level of this marker may be a sign of a cancer. This is also true of men with an enlarged testicle or anyone with a tumor in their chest.

It is hard to define the HCG normal level because there are different ways to test for this marker and each has its own normal value.

Link (http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_2_3X_Tumor_Markers.asp?sitearea=PED)

texansdrummer

Testicular

The Pencil Neck

It can be used to diagnose testicular cancer.

Ole Miss Texan
05-13-2010, 01:43 PM

His uterus?

:backsout:

CloakNNNdagger
05-13-2010, 01:46 PM

In my previous posts I mentioned the cancer/HCG association. The one that you readily worry about right off the bat in a male is testicular cancer. However, it serves as a marker for quite a few other cancers including gastrointestinal cancers, lung, and breast cancers.

gtexan02
His uterus?

No dude, his ovaries

drewmar74
Okay - so testicular cancer or possibly cancers in the center of the chest.....

How hard would it be to diagnose that?

I'm not throwing stones or leading with a line of questioning. I'm just trying to understand how all this comes together.

SheTexan
I watched it. And my stance hasn't changed. Until something comes along that offers up something real, because neither the NFL or Cushing has really presented anything but talk, I'm taking Cushing at his word.

Same here! Continues to be a lot of speculation, and will continue for a long long time. Sometimes I like to express my opinion, just because I CAN, and my opinion is pretty simple. MOVE ON!! The Texans should be prepared with a respectable backup anyway. Who's to say Brian, or anyone else, could go out against the Colts and substain an injury that would take them out for the season. A championship team is NOT based around one player, unless your the Colts and have PM,:) What's done is done, and our team should be prepared for the bad crap to happen. As for our boy Brian, he will have this stigma for the rest of his career. He needs to do whatever he has to do to put his mind at peace and then just go out there and kick some ass come Oct!!! JMO!

gtexan02
05-13-2010, 01:47 PM
You know, it really is too bad McGrady didn't test positive for hcg. It'd be a whole lot more fun.

drewmar74
His uterus?

No dude, his ovaries

:facepalm:

2slik4u
Its hard for me to decipher whats opinions from members here and what was said from the Cush. If someone can be so kind to paraphrase with bulletpoints maybe on what the bulk of the speech was about I would greatly appreciate it.

If you care, rep will follow.

HoustonFrog
05-13-2010, 01:48 PM
HoustonFrog is a Cowboy fan, right? So, his only hope as a fan is to tear down the morality of everyone in the NFL so that he doesn't feel so dirty rooting for that appalling team of his.

Excuse me Dale, and no offense intended(which means it will offend), but that is the dumbest thing I ever heard out of your mouth. Its a logical way of looking at things. It's like Michael Irvin. Loved him as a player but thought he was way over his head with drugs, etc. When he got busted post-career and claimed his cousins stash just happened to be in the car, do you think I bought it?No. Just stop the dumb comments. The Cowboys have nothing to do with this. Aren't busts like this why you stopped being one of their fans when you weren't born yet? Go look at the arrest thread in the NFL section. You'll see how dumb the comments are. Stay on topic. I didn't know it was required to have the same rooting opinion when it came to a team. I laid out a sane, rational argument.

Thorn
05-13-2010, 01:49 PM
It's clearly obvious some of us are going to continue to think the worst (with no proof) while some of us will take Cushing at his word (with no proof).

This could go on forever. I would have hoped for better things to occupy our time with before training camp and pre-season.

El Tejano
05-13-2010, 01:49 PM
If I come to the conclusion that we have a team full of cheaters and that the organization is willing to look the other way, then I wouldn't buy merchandise or attend the games.

I wonder how many people who share this stance are the same ones that get mad because we only try to draft or sign character players.

HOU-TEX
05-13-2010, 01:50 PM
You know, it really is too bad McGrady didn't test positive for hcg. It'd be a whole lot more fun.

They probably never bothered testing him due to already knowing his uterus was oversized from giving birth to a huge bag of FAIL.

Ole Miss Texan
05-13-2010, 01:51 PM
What's funny is I had to go to google (on my phone, not work computer) and type in "vaginal parts" to come up with the name. Then I didn't want the last page on my internet screen to be wiki answers: vaginal parts so I googled Tracy McGrady. Honest truth! LOL
This is by far my favorite of the smilies. It's one of those "no words necessary"... it literally makes me laugh out loud when that's the only response to a post. Classic!

scourge
05-13-2010, 01:51 PM
They probably never bothered testing him due to already knowing his uterus was oversized from giving birth to a huge bag of FAIL.

reptastic

HOU-TEX
05-13-2010, 01:53 PM
It's clearly obvious some of us are going to continue to think the worst (with no proof) while some of us will take Cushing at his word (with no proof).

This could go on forever. I would have hoped for better things to occupy our time with before training camp and pre-season.

Right on, Thorn.

Goldensilence

Really? Resorting to calling out another person's fan affiliation with another team?

Looks it's not like HF is making an unreasonable jump in logic. There's a train that's certainly there and probably the bulk of the NFL and its fans are following.

I would say barring some real medical reason for his hGC to be so high the test results look pretty damning. At this point its on Brian to find an explanation. of course that's my IMO.

In the mean time do I think he's a bad guy? Do I think he deserves to be raked over the coals? Am I any less a fan?

The answer to all of the above is no.

drewmar74
This is by far my favorite of the smilies. It's one of those "no words necessary"... it literally makes me laugh out loud when that's the only response to a post. Classic!

Agreed.

Facepalm is great. :backsout: is still my personal favorite, though.

infantrycak
05-13-2010, 01:55 PM

Yeah, I heard that, too.

Little off. I have it on DVR.

Question was "are you finished with the league, just going to move on and worry about your health?"

Cushing: "Yeah, the attention is toward myself right now and why this is happening."

The Pencil Neck
05-13-2010, 01:57 PM

Question was "are you finished with the league, just going to move on and worry about your health?"

Cushing: "Yeah, the attention is toward myself right now and why this is happening."

No, he said something to the effect that the test "repeatedly" happens or something like that. I'm pretty sure he used the word "repeatedly".

infantrycak
05-13-2010, 01:58 PM
No, he said something to the effect that the test "repeatedly" happens or something like that. I'm pretty sure he used the word "repeatedly".

If you say so. I just played it back 5-8 times.

The Pencil Neck
05-13-2010, 01:59 PM
If you say so. I just played it back 5-8 times.

The space aliens have obviously corrupted your DVR.

:tinfoil:

dalemurphy
05-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Excuse me Dale, and no offense intended(which means it will offend), but that is the dumbest thing I ever heard out of your mouth. Its a logical way of looking at things. It's like Michael Irvin. Loved him as a player but thought he was way over his head with drugs, etc. When he got busted post-career and claimed his cousins stash just happened to be in the car, do you think I bought it?No. Just stop the dumb comments. The Cowboys have nothing to do with this. Aren't busts like this why you stopped being one of their fans when you weren't born yet? Go look at the arrest thread in the NFL section. You'll see how dumb the comments are. Stay on topic. I didn't know it was required to have the same rooting opinion when it came to a team. I laid out a sane, rational argument.

I wasn't offended. And, I have no problem with your argument. That being said, you are a Cowboy fan and I look for opportunities to rib Cowboy fans, particularly in a football-specific forum like this.

SheTexan
05-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Dale, surely you are joking! Frog is a Cowboy fan, but also one of the most respected members of this board. I've never known him to be anything but fair, and he backs up his post with facts and logic. That really was kind of a MEAN post! Just saying!

GuerillaBlack
05-13-2010, 02:03 PM
lol, Cowboy fans.

BullNation4Life
05-13-2010, 02:04 PM
I have a question...

Was Brian Cushing's mom a prostitute because I have a 20 pg theory on that and how the HCG got into his system....:spin:

dalemurphy
05-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Dale, surely you are joking! Frog is a Cowboy fan, but also one of the most respected members of this board. I've never known him to be anything but fair, and he backs up his post with facts and logic. That really was kind of a MEAN post! Just saying!

Wow! You don't see those words together in a sentence very often. Is it April 1st or did I just see a pig fly?

wagonhed
05-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Weak dude. Just weak.

You know you could add something to the discussion instead of relegating yourself to the side taking shots at people.

Right. Because I haven't added anything, all my 100 or so posts about Cushing have just been taking shots at people.

Yet you felt the need to single me out for not contributing. How did your post contribute? Talk about weak.

No More 8-8's
05-13-2010, 02:07 PM
If he was under the assumption that he was playing with a Tumor last year, why didn't he get checked out last season for it. This whole thing just sounds suspicious to me.

HoustonFrog
05-13-2010, 02:07 PM

Thanks SheTexan. :) I just have a very compartmentalized way of thinking on these things. I'm not trying to offend anyone. I think Cushing is one of the best things to happen to the team as far as toughness and attitude. But when it comes to this event, I'm just following what I see until proven otherwise.

BullNation4Life
05-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Wow! You don't see those words together in a sentence very often. Is it April 1st or did I just see a pig fly?

:pigfly::pigfly::pigfly: why yes, yes you did... :pigfly::pigfly::pigfly:

BullNation4Life
05-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Well was it 5 or was it 8? Get your facts straight *******.

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/08/23-End/flying-cat-fight.jpg

CAT FIGHT!!!!

michaelm
05-13-2010, 02:10 PM

Lol. Your cowboy response button is so easy to locate, it can be pushed through the Internet.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuerillaBlack
05-13-2010, 02:13 PM
This Cushing thing is bringing out the best in our fans. I've never seen so much drama on these boards before. Not even HBO could write this.

Rey
05-13-2010, 02:22 PM
This Cushing thing is bringing out the best in our fans. I've never seen so much drama on these boards before. Not even HBO could write this.

"And with the #1 pick the Texans choose Mario Williams"...

:peek::texflag:

HoustonFrog
05-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Lol. Your cowboy response button is so easy to locate, it can be pushed through the Internet.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a Cowboy response button. It's a "Dale Response Button Regarding Random Posts That Make No Sense and Are Off Topic." I'll talk Cowboys quite nicely, thank you :toast2:

Porky
05-13-2010, 02:27 PM
If it quacks, has webbed feet and swims around a pond, I'll go out on a limb and say its a duck. :devilpig:

scourge
05-13-2010, 02:28 PM
If it quacks, has webbed feet and swims around a pond, I'll go out on a limb and say its a duck. :devilpig:

jokes on you. it was a platypus

WWJD
05-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Member the good old offseason days when posters were moaning about nothing to post about? That seems ages ago...

MightyTExan
05-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Think how crazy it would be if the Texans were selected for this season's "Hard Knocks".

Ckw
05-13-2010, 02:45 PM
http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/admin.gif

Never seen that one before. Pretty hilarious! Rep!

HOU-TEX
05-13-2010, 02:49 PM
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo66/EcNaMorLAciMehcYmIH/DramaticPrairieDogorChipmunk.gif

:spit: I dunno why, but this has me laughing so damn hard my eyes are waterin. +Rep, man! That's freakin hysterical!

*edit: I'm copying it too.

Dutchrudder
05-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Here's the NFL Video of his press conference:

Linky (http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d8181b788/A-defiant-Cushing)

They label it "A Defiant Cushing"

Dutchrudder
05-13-2010, 02:51 PM
:spit: I dunno why, but this has me laughing so damn hard my eyes are waterin. +Rep, man! That's freakin hysterical!

*edit: I'm copying it too.

Here's the original if you haven't seen it:

Linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lXdyD2Yzls)

Hardcore Texan
05-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Here's the NFL Video of his press conference:

Linky (http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d8181b788/A-defiant-Cushing)

They label it "A Defiant Cushing"

If it turns out that he has cancer or a tumor of some sort a lot of people are going to look first class *******s. (talking about writers, analyst, etc.)

dalemurphy
05-13-2010, 02:53 PM
If it turns out that he has cancer or a tumor of some sort a lot of people are going to look first class *******s.

We can only hope!... oh wait. uhh... what am I rooting for right now?

HOU-TEX
05-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Here's the original if you haven't seen it:

Linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lXdyD2Yzls)

Ahh, man. Still giggling like a school girl. That's epic, dude

GP
05-13-2010, 02:54 PM
http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo66/EcNaMorLAciMehcYmIH/DramaticPrairieDogorChipmunk.gif

Needs a little talk bubble to the side of his head when he faces the camera:

"You eyeballin' me, son?"

drewmar74
05-13-2010, 02:57 PM
If it turns out that he has cancer or a tumor of some sort a lot of people are going to look first class *******s. (talking about writers, analyst, etc.)

Heck, I'll feel like an ******* for having considered the possibility.

HOU-TEX
Needs a little talk bubble to the side of his head when he faces the camera:

"You eyeballin' me, son?"

No words need to be said after that deadly staredown. :lol:

HuttoKarl

Wonder if the AP will have a re-revote if that's the case (and hopefully he's healthy).

drewmar74
05-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Wonder if the AP will have a re-revote if that's the case (and hopefully he's healthy).

Dunno.

I think if that's the case, then Peter King should have to line up in full pads against Cush. Make King wear a Titans RB jersey.....

:evil:

small nizzle
05-13-2010, 03:02 PM
well he's guilty

1.if he was truely innocent, he'd have the best lawyers suing the nfl for false test because this false test is going to cost him MILLIONS in endorsements via probowl/contract incentives/commercial...he'd also be suing to remove his suspension

2.his conference he is reading a script. to make it worse,the questions from the select few was also scripted because he read the answers from a script also. how would the answers be written down unless he already knew what the questions were going to be? the whole thing questions/answers was a pr stunt

3.i actually fell for it at first,the whole cancer thing ,until i notice he kept reading his script

Texans34Life
05-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Video is up:

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/

gtexan02
05-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Before we all gather round the campfire with cushing and comisserate with him, lets not forget that he's had almost a year since his initial positive test to consult with doctors and so far has apparently found no reason for his elevated hcg levels.

Im not saying Cushing is a liar. The human body is more complex than our minds can grasp, and sometimes there are biological phenomenon that defy convention. However, he's known for a year that he tested high for hcg. And has yet to find a biological cause.

He's denying that it was something he took on purpose.

So either:

1) There is some kind of new biological phenomenon causing his elevated hcg that no doctors can diagnose or locate
2) He unknowingly took something which caused his elevated hcg
3) He's lying, and he took hcg on purpose

None of those 3 are good options. We seem to be taking him at his word, which is commendable. But a year of working with the best doctors in houston and finding nothing... eh.... Its happened before, but its rare

Qman
05-13-2010, 03:06 PM
well he's guilty

1.he was truely innocent, he'd have the best lawyers suing the nfl for false test because this false test is going to cost him MILLIONS in endorsements via probowl/contract incentives/commercial

2.his conference he is reading a script. to make it worse,the questions from the select few was also scripted because he read the answers from a script also. how would the answers be written down unless he already knew what the questions were going to be? the whole thing questions/answers was a pr stunt

3.i actually fell for it the whole cancer thing until i notice he kept reading his script

1. He still might file a lawsuit. He has only know about the suspensions for what a week?

2.PR stunt is just another for press conference

The only fact that has been estabilished is that he failed the test. As to what the results mean. That is still up for debate.

Hardcore Texan
05-13-2010, 03:07 PM
well he's guilty

1.he was truely innocent, he'd have the best lawyers suing the nfl for false test because this false test is going to cost him MILLIONS in endorsements via probowl/contract incentives/commercial

3.i actually fell for it the whole cancer thing until i notice he kept reading his script

I don't think the questions were scripted nor were the answers written down. And everyone usually prepares a statement to be organized. I disagree with everything you said except #1. That's a good question, why not go after the league.

But let's ask this question, why even come out and speak about it, release a statement through your agent in print and be done. Why stand in front of people and come out re-affirming that you are clean. It's a waste of time, if you're dirty just move on.

I don't think your assertion it was all PR stunt is even remotely possible.

Porky
05-13-2010, 03:08 PM
I think he is lying. Sorry. Too much compelling evidence. The strong rumors that his Dad was giving him roids in HS to the visual evidence, to GM's saying their research indicated a roid head to the actual failure and suspension. This doesn't pass the smell test.

I'm really disapointed and I hope he gets off the stuff.

leebigeztx
05-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Cushing is lying big time. There was a doctor on sirius yesterday and he said hcg is a female fertility drug. Everyone produces it, but most times its used in between cycles to tell the nuts to start producing testosterone. When you do stroids, you nuts stop producing test and are in shock. You take hcg to bring the nuts out of shock and start producing again. Once you stop taking it, it leaves the body. Cushing knows why he had the substance because people use it between cycles.

gtexan02
05-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Watch the video. He seems like he's telling the truth. Thats just my gut feeling, from watching him.

The thing that gets me is why isn't he releasing the "compelling scientific and medical data" that he keeps referring to over and over again. He keeps saying that he's shocked his appeal was denied, so why not take that evidence public?

If he has compelling medical evidence, why doesn't he know whether he has tumors or not? If he does, then his appeal wouldve been accepted. If he doesn't, whats his compelling medical evidence?

small nizzle
05-13-2010, 03:17 PM
I actually think the best thing he should have said, is that he knocked one out on the way to the drug test. All he had to do was say he had spent the whole night at a strip club and had 3 girls in the limo backseat with him on the way to the drug test. He was dehydrated and the girls drained his semonal fluid and hcg. Thats why he had low levels. I think that would actually make more headlines,be more believeable instead of saying "i dont know".

I know its embaressing to say "i had sex on the way to the drug test"....But we are talking millions of dollars. He should fight this system/fight the test results ,and give a real reason he failed.

Ive read that sex will alter hcg levels right after. All he had to do was use the "i had an orgy" excuse and we might actually believe him because he is famous and can get those every night.

And yes im being serious.

Hardcore Texan
05-13-2010, 03:17 PM
I think he is lying. Sorry. Too much compelling evidence. The strong rumors that his Dad was giving him roids in HS to the visual evidence, to GM's saying their research indicated a roid head to the actual failure and suspension. This doesn't pass the smell test.

I'm really disapointed and I hope he gets off the stuff.

Cushing is lying big time. There was a doctor on sirius yesterday and he said hcg is a female fertility drug. Everyone produces it, but most times its used in between cycles to tell the nuts to start producing testosterone. When you do stroids, you nuts stop producing test and are in shock. You take hcg to bring the nuts out of shock and start producing again. Once you stop taking it, it leaves the body. Cushing knows why he had the substance because people use it between cycles.

You guys could be right but I am reserving judgement until later. If he is dirty it makes no sense to come out and defend himself today like he did. Too many unknowns for me to speculate. As I have maintained I am upset he won't be on the field the first four games more than anything at this point.

stevn8r
05-13-2010, 03:18 PM
markschlereth All you wanna be Roid experts...HCG is not a masking agent....If you had a PED in your system and HCG you would test + for both.

FWIW...tweeted (I can't believe I just typed the word "tweeted") by Mark Schlereth.

I am such a homer that I am going to believe and stand behind the CushMan... hCG is not a masking agent, it is a "Please don't let my nuts fall off" post steroid cycle thing(in large amounts) Men have this naturally in our bodies.
I hope I am right, if not.....

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/3/5414660_8716bf615a.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
05-13-2010, 03:19 PM

Cak,

Review around 5:15 into the conference (now on the official site). He states that he is concerned about his health and "Why this would keep reoccuring."

Thorn
05-13-2010, 03:20 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/3/5414660_8716bf615a.jpg

Hopefully that's not on IHOPs menu.

HOU-TEX
05-13-2010, 03:20 PM
A Trey Wingo thought

cushing repeatedly used words" never ingested or injected anything" but there is something called transdermal hcg.. which is applied on skin

http://twitter.com/wingoz

gtexan02
05-13-2010, 03:21 PM
I really, really hope he isn't lying

I really, really want to believe him. I hope, if he is telling the truth, that he finds out whats causing this.

gtexan02
05-13-2010, 03:22 PM
A Trey Wingo thought

http://twitter.com/wingoz

I think thats semantics. He said he had never heard of HCG and believes the only way it gets into you is through injection

Goldensilence
05-13-2010, 03:24 PM
1. He still might file a lawsuit. He has only know about the suspensions for what a week?

2.PR stunt is just another for press conference

The only fact that has been estabilished is that he failed the test. As to what the results mean. That is still up for debate.

1. He might file a lawsuit, but it's pretty well documented what you get for a failed or positive test. He originally made the appeal earlier in the season. So it's not like this wasn't a very possible scenario he'd find himself in. I just would've thought the way he prepares and approaches football he'd have prepared and approached this better.

2. Makes no sense.

Agree on the last part.

small nizzle
05-13-2010, 03:28 PM

but what your missing, is that his level wasnt high, it was low. he failed because it was to low.

that can happen from to much sex, or from doing roids....problem is, he didnt have any roids in his system. so that means maybe he just got off the riods and his hcg was low...but, thats just a hypothesis. yes it can be true, but not in EVERYONE.

there are people walking around, considered healthy,that have never done riods,and they just have low hcg.

it also gets lower and lower as you get older.

cushing has a point. just because it was low doesnt mean he automatically did something.,

in fact, he he was off the cycle, he would have tested HIGH because he would have taken it to restore his balls.

. he didnt. he tested low.

the nfl testing is stupid. hcg is actually an antiaging drug. my wife works at houston antiaging clinic that GIVES IT OUT to everyone for weight loss and sex drive.

i know more about it than most. the nfl should ban iron,zinc,vitamin A,anything that improves health.

Double Barrel
05-13-2010, 03:31 PM
It seems to me that medical evidence would cause the NFL to review the test results and rescind the suspension. And I would assume that Cushing would present this valid medical evidence to the NFL. If the NFL reviewed and decided to uphold the suspension, they just suck. Otherwise, his evidence did not persuade them to change their position.

Cushing is still our boy, but let's be honest, if this were Brian Cushing the Titans LB, we'd be having a field day with it and I have no doubt that NO Texans fan would grant him the benefit of the doubt.

gtexan02
05-13-2010, 03:31 PM
but what your missing, is that his level wasnt high, it was low. he failed because it was to low.

that can happen from to much sex, or from doing roids....problem is, he didnt have any roids in his system. so that means maybe he just got off the riods and his hcg was low...but, thats just a hypothesis. yes it can be true, but not in EVERYONE.

there are people walking around, considered healthy,that have never done riods,and they just have low hcg.

cushing has a point. just because it was low doesnt mean he automatically did something.,

in fact, he he was off the cycle, he would have tested HIGH because he would have taken it to restore his balls.

the nfl testing is stupid. hcg is actually an antiaging drug. my wife works at houston antiaging clinic that GIVES IT OUT to everyone for weight loss and sex drive.

i know more about it than most. the nfl should ban iron,zinc,vitamin A,anything that improves health.

Do you have evidence to back this stuff up? It doesn't match with what Ive heard before.

Im sure if it was from over-sexing that he wouldn't have hesitated to say it.

And definitely Manny Ramirez wouldn't have hesistated.

The levels on the test aren't bordlerline normal levels. They are way, way different usually

Porky
05-13-2010, 03:32 PM
A tumor doesn't take 6+ months to diagnose. Come on folks. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. :pirate:

Rey
05-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Cushing is still our boy, but let's be honest, if this were Brian Cushing the Titans LB, we'd be having a field day with it and I have no doubt that NO Texans fan would grant him the benefit of the doubt.

That's true, but to me all that means is that we'd be biased both ways...

I have not really made up my mind on this...I keep going back and forth and getting more and more confused the more I hear...

The Pencil Neck
05-13-2010, 03:46 PM
A tumor doesn't take 6+ months to diagnose. Come on folks. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. :pirate:

BUT.

Didn't he say that his value was too low?

If he had been taking hCG after a cycle, his hCG would have been too high.

After work, I'm going to go back and listen to this again.

Tailgate
05-13-2010, 03:47 PM
I am upset with how this conference went down. I mean he doesnt know if his HCG levels are up right now? He hasnt been tested in a while or whatever he said??? I mean, if he is really serious about this and finding the "real" problem... wouldn't he be monitoring it like almost daily??

The Pencil Neck
05-13-2010, 03:48 PM

AND.

There can be tumors that are small and hard to detect. Especially when you don't know where to look. It could be a small tumor in his chest somewhere.

gtexan02
05-13-2010, 03:48 PM
BUT.

Didn't he say that his value was too low?

If he had been taking hCG after a cycle, his hCG would have been too high.

After work, I'm going to go back and listen to this again.

This makes no sense. A tumor would indicate you had a high level of hcg. If he had low levels, why would he think he had a tumor?

noxiousdog
05-13-2010, 03:51 PM
I am upset with how this conference went down. I mean he doesnt know if his HCG levels are up right now? He hasnt been tested in a while or whatever he said??? I mean, if he is really serious about this and finding the "real" problem... wouldn't he be monitoring it like almost daily??

No. You'd be doing tests to find the tumor, not repeatedly doing tests that came back negative all year except for the one in September.

Tailgate
05-13-2010, 03:55 PM
No. You'd be doing tests to find the tumor, not repeatedly doing tests that came back negative all year except for the one in September.

However, he stated many times he does not know the reasons why his HCG levels were elevated. So no tumors, then do you just go oh well... the HCG tests should be fine? No, you constantly test it to see if there is a spike somewhere and hopefully it may give you some data to help find the reason why. He doesnt know anything at this point.

HOU-TEX
05-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Maybe when he went to pee in the cup he got chubbed up and decided to go ahead and rub one out? Which, in turn, caused the elevated test? :shrug:

small nizzle
05-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Do you have evidence to back this stuff up? It doesn't match with what Ive heard before.

Im sure if it was from over-sexing that he wouldn't have hesitated to say it.

And definitely Manny Ramirez wouldn't have hesistated.

The levels on the test aren't bordlerline normal levels. They are way, way different usually

1. everyone has different sex drives,so everyone has different levels of hcg. apparently cushing failed the test because of was "out of range". to low i hear.

2. we dont know what that "range" is for the test. in fact, im willing to bet he was normal,even though it was low range. the reason i heard is that the nfl tested him 19 times, and his level was lower in ONE than the other 18 and the nfl freaked out and suspended him

3.he needs to file a slander lawsuit on jim rome for constantly saying he cheated when he didnt.

he needs to file a slander lawsuit at nfl for ruining his reputation even though he was NOT HIGH LEVEL of hcg. Everyone, and I mean everyone on espn keeps saying "he took hcg".. NOT TRUE. Geez. My wife injects women EVERYDAY in the stomach with this stuff. When you take it , you measure HIGH. Not low. CUSHING DID NOT TAKE HCG, his body was just low in it.

Now, the question, why was he low. There are DOCTORS that DONT even know ALL the reasons for this. Its still an undiscovered hormone thats still being learned about. 10 years from now doctors will find another "reason" that effects hcg levels.

The nfl is abusing their power , and banning cushing based on "theories" of doctors. A theory is NOT a fact.

Poor cushing. If Im him I sue EVERYONE starting now.

Double Barrel
05-13-2010, 04:02 PM

This is the curious thing about it. If my career was being scrutinized and jackholes like Peter King are going on NFLN's All Access spewing crap about rumors of high school steroid use, I'd have doctors with me at the press conference giving the world the lowdown on my medical condition.

That's true, but to me all that means is that we'd be biased both ways...

I have not really made up my mind on this...I keep going back and forth and getting more and more confused the more I hear...

HA! Very good point! :howdy: :clap:

I'm the same way, though, about your second point. I don't have a hard opinion, either way. I'm not on a jump to conclusion mat, but it seems that the smoke here is leading to something that burns that we do not want to call fire. I'll just be glad when the story blows over and we can get back to football.

gtexan02
05-13-2010, 04:04 PM
@small_nizzle

#1) Why do you keep saying he was low? Where is the proof of this?

#2) If it was low, why was he worried about tumors? Testicular tumors result in higher levels of hcg

#3) The league notified him of the failed test in October, and he started his appeal then. They didn't wait to test him 19 more times and then compare them all together. Thats completely untrue based on what we've heard so far

small nizzle
05-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Maybe when he went to pee in the cup he got chubbed up and decided to go ahead and rub one out? Which, in turn, caused the elevated test? :shrug:

sometimes (like in my case) the woman that escorts you to the bathroom is hot, and you get a woody and cant pee....and yes this really did happen to me...i was embaressed because she kept seeing my small woody in the mirror,and asking me if i wanted to drink something...took me forever to take a piss because she was hot. ON the way home i unzipped at a red light on westhiemer and starting flogging.

true story.

dalemurphy
05-13-2010, 04:05 PM

Porky, I don't think he was saying that he had a tumor. He was saying that there is concern about his health because of his hCG levels. He just quoted one doctor and the media attached on to "tumor".

dalemurphy
05-13-2010, 04:07 PM
It seems to me that medical evidence would cause the NFL to review the test results and rescind the suspension. And I would assume that Cushing would present this valid medical evidence to the NFL. If the NFL reviewed and decided to uphold the suspension, they just suck. Otherwise, his evidence did not persuade them to change their position.

I would probably give him the benefit of the doubt. But, that wouldn't stop me from making jokes at the expense of Titan fans and giving them a hard time about it.

Tailgate
05-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Porky, I don't think he was saying that he had a tumor. He was saying that there is concern about his health because of his hCG levels. He just quoted one doctor and the media attached on to "tumor".

Yeah, Cushing messed up when he said he thought he had tumors... when he should have said he was simply thinking about the "possibility" that he might have a tumor somewhere...

gtexan02
05-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Its still an undiscovered hormone thats still being learned about. 10 years from now doctors will find another "reason" that effects hcg levels.

HCG was identified in 1920.

I dont know how something can be undiscovered and yet discovered either...

gtexan02
05-13-2010, 04:09 PM

He said he played all year last year believing he had "tumors." Plural. He said he believed last year was his last year of life. Listed to the interview

They even asked Demeco if they knew Cushing believed he had tumors.

small nizzle
05-13-2010, 04:10 PM
@small_nizzle

#1) Why do you keep saying he was low? Where is the proof of this?

#2) If it was low, why was he worried about tumors? Testicular tumors result in higher levels of hcg

#3) The league notified him of the failed test in October, and he started his appeal then. They didn't wait to test him 19 more times and then compare them all together. Thats completely untrue based on what we've heard so far

I was told high at first on the internet, but WATCH cushings interview carefully. He talks really fast at first, and you almost miss it. He mutters "to low".

Tumors, because a cancer will cause extreme level changes. Im not sure if i believe the cancer excuse, but yes, CAncer CAN cause it. Hes right. BUt maybe thats a excuse . Maybe he takes cream. (ive never heard of it, and neither has my wife,the Dr she works for only uses injections, and the pill is called premarin for older women)..the cream must be very new

Okay, but like you I heard 19 times. I also heard from the players union rep that they did test him days later several times. He tested "normal" in those. Thats why the league doesnt believe cushing, because his levels change.

Maybe he is a nympho . We all know from doctor links on web that this will cause excess hcg. Maybe his "low" test was him normally, and then all the other "higher" test were him flogging dolphin that morning.

Tailgate
05-13-2010, 04:12 PM
HCG was identified in 1920.

I dont know how something can be undiscovered and yet discovered either...

I will say that my buddy used to get HCG shot in his butt by a doc as part of a weight loss program he was on. He said they couldnt prove that it was going to work or why or even how? The docs told him basically straight up.... Look, we have had great results with it, but there is no data anywhere to support how it actually works or what it actually does.

BigTimeTexanFan
05-13-2010, 04:14 PM
sometimes (like in my case) the woman that escorts you to the bathroom is hot, and you get a woody and cant pee....and yes this really did happen to me...i was embaressed because she kept seeing my small woody in the mirror,and asking me if i wanted to drink something...took me forever to take a piss because she was hot. ON the way home i unzipped at a red light on westhiemer and starting flogging.
true story.

If there ever was a reason for a face palm

WWJD
05-13-2010, 04:16 PM

Or a good time to lose your glasses...that would have been it.

drewmar74
05-13-2010, 04:16 PM

followed by a

dalemurphy
05-13-2010, 04:17 PM
He said he played all year last year believing he had "tumors." Plural. He said he believed last year was his last year of life. Listed to the interview

They even asked Demeco if they knew Cushing believed he had tumors.

Again, he's at a press conference answering unscripted questions. The entire quote is quite different. The question was "how can people believe that you have a substance in your body that is usually in pregnant women and you say you didn't put it there?"

He responds, "I know. there are a lot of ways it can get into the body. I had sources tell me it is injested or it is a result of tumors. So, I played last season thinking I had tumors".

Clearly, to me, he's saying that he did not take anything and that he was concerned most of last season that something was medically wrong with him and he was kind of freaked out about it.

gary
05-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Did I have to know about the flogging? Really? Oy, oy.

Porky
So, if he was that concerned, why the hell didn't he get it checked out? And if he did, where are the Dr. reports. See, none of this adds up. And it doesn't add up because he is a big fat liar. I bet his pants are on fire.

Ckw
All I have to say is this: I really don't give a rats ass if he did or didn't take steroids. I don't care who it is it doesn't bother me when FOOTBALL players take performance enhancing drugs. Hell, there entire job is to run around abusing their bodies, yet we really expect them to not use every available substance to help heal their bodies and make them stronger and more able to dish out the punishment weekly?!?!

When it was baseball, I cared because it was obviously having a MAJOR effect on the game. Records that took 100 years to amass were being demolished, and the integrity of the game and everything the early ball players went through were being made a mockery of. Football players have likely been taking performance enhancing drugs for our entire modern era of football, and it isn't like the sacrifices of the early players are being ignored and trampled on because a few guys are juicing.

And that's all I have to say about that.

leebigeztx
05-13-2010, 04:28 PM

The test wasnt from being too low, it was because it was too high. Its a female fertility drug used to wake the nuts up after a cycle. Once you stop using it, it filters out your system! He's lying big time and cheated or tried to. I'm no moral police and in fact I like players with a little edge, but its the dominoe effect of competition. You're fooling yourself if you think a masking agent doesn't help the workout warrior.

Texecutioner
05-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Lol at this thread.

I can't believe that people are actually arguing about this. Any other time any athlete whether it was Manny Ramirez, Sean Merriman, AROD, or any other famous athlete failed a PED test they were villified in here as cheaters, thieves of the game, and all sorts of other derogatory names. Then here comes a guy who has had probably the strongest stigma of steroid abuse since he was in freaking HS that just happens to play for the Texans and there's every excuse and spin off story being made on his behalf because the guy plays in Houston now. Had this happened when Cushing was at USC, not one person in here would be defending this failed test or making excuses for him breaking the rules.

Cushing cheated regardless of what circumstances he's created for himself as to why he took whatever he chose to take. Funny we didn't hear about this possible tumor all season long when he was playing. Where the hell were his concerns all year?? Lol!

Cushing, I just hope that you're the same guy when you come back because we're going to need you bro.

Ckw
05-13-2010, 04:31 PM

true story.

:spit:

Dammit dude! I had planned on not commenting anymore in this thread, but this is one of the funniest freakin posts I have ever read on here.

And I guess the bold tells me why your name is small nizzle. Funny **** man!

leebigeztx
05-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Lol at this thread.

I can't believe that people are actually arguing about this. Any other time any athlete whether it was Manny Ramirez, Sean Merriman, AROD, or any other famous athlete failed a PED test they were villified in here as cheaters, thieves of the game, and all sorts of other derogatory names. Then here comes a guy who has had probably the strongest stigma of steroid abuse since he was in freaking HS that just happens to play for the Texans and there's every excuse and spin off story being made on his behalf because the guy plays in Houston now. Had this happened when Cushing was at USC, not one person in here would be defending this failed test or making excuses for him breaking the rules.

Cushing cheated regardless of what circumstances he's created for himself as to why he took whatever he chose to take. Funny we didn't hear about this possible tumor all season long when he was playing. Where the hell were his concerns all year?? Lol!

Cushing, I just hope that you're the same guy when you come back because we're going to need you bro.

Pretty much. I heard OJ is still looking for the killer too

gary
05-13-2010, 04:39 PM
All I have to say is this: I really don't give a rats ass if he did or didn't take steroids. I don't care who it is it doesn't bother me when FOOTBALL players take performance enhancing drugs. Hell, there entire job is to run around abusing their bodies, yet we really expect them to not use every available substance to help heal their bodies and make them stronger and more able to dish out the punishment weekly?!?!

When it was baseball, I cared because it was obviously having a MAJOR effect on the game. Records that took 100 years to amass were being demolished, and the integrity of the game and everything the early ball players went through were being made a mockery of. Football players have likely been taking performance enhancing drugs for our entire modern era of football, and it isn't like the sacrifices of the early players are being ignored and trampled on because a few guys are juicing.

And that's all I have to say about that.This is all true but if you get caought breaking the rules and offer to explain your actions then please tell the truth and back it up with facts. Just saying. I reserve my right to call him a liar thus far but I sure hope he is not lieing to my face I don't like that. Offer the truth or don't offer anything at all IMO.

Mr teX
05-13-2010, 04:45 PM
So, if he was that concerned, why the hell didn't he get it checked out? And if he did, where are the Dr. reports. See, none of this adds up. And it doesn't add up because he is a big fat liar. I bet his pants are on fire.

This is the kind of crap i despise when it comes to things like this around here.

How in the hell do you know he didn't get it checked out? Why does he have to divulge the little part of his medical history he still has to himself JUST to appease you?

These rumors have been swirling around this dude since he was in high school mainly b/c he's been a freak since then & I just think people have just been jaded towards this whole subject because baseball's many embarassments over the last year or so. Now anyone who might be actually telling the truth (albeit a very small percentage), get looked at like :rolleyes:.

the bottom line is he acknowledged he screwed up HOWEVER that may have occured, he's gonna serve out his suspension mainly because he has no choice & undoubtedly to get this behind him.

rmartin65
05-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Well, I apologize for saying that he was a cheater. If what he says is true, then I think the NFL is being ridiculous.

Dutchrudder
05-13-2010, 04:50 PM
This is the kind of crap i despise when it comes to things like this around here.

How in the hell do you know he didn't get it checked out? Why does he have to divulge the little part of his medical history he still has to himself JUST to appease you?

These rumors have been swirling around this dude since he was in high school mainly b/c he's been a freak since then & I just think people have just been jaded towards this whole subject because baseball's many embarassments over the last year or so. Now anyone who might be actually telling the truth (albeit a very small percentage), gets looked at like :rolleyes:.

the bottom line is he acknowledged he screwed up HOWEVER that may have occured, he's gonna serve out his suspension mainly because he has no choice & undoubtedly to get this behind him.

If Cushing had a tumor(s) he would have played the victim card already. There's no reason to leave the ambiguity out there when you have the only valid excuse for having a higher-than-average HGC test result. We just need to accept the fact that he more than likely was cheating, attempted to avoid detection and got caught.

gary
05-13-2010, 04:51 PM
If is very big.

GuerillaBlack
05-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by small nizzle
true story.

lol, "small nizzle".

I laughed pretty loud when I read this. Sad it got deleted.

Edit: Damn! Ckw got the joke before me. :(

Grid
05-13-2010, 04:57 PM
I dunno what to think.

Invisible tumors does not make me feel more confident in his innocence.

What medical information did they have that he felt was so compelling that it would absolve him and save him from suspension? Does he have proof of tumors? Cause if the hGC only comes from Cancer or Steroid Cycle.. then I would like to know what medical information he handed the league. Does he have proof of cancer? I doubt it or he would have said so... so what did he hand them?

Dutchrudder
05-13-2010, 04:59 PM
I dunno what to think.

Invisible tumors does not make me feel more confident in his innocence.

What medical information did they have that he felt was so compelling that it would absolve him and save him from suspension? Does he have proof of tumors? Cause if the hGC only comes from Cancer or Steroid Cycle.. then I would like to know what medical information he handed the league. Does he have proof of cancer? I doubt it or he would have said so... so what did he hand them?

A tumor in a jar would be rather convincing.

Shaft75
05-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Everyone's all like, "if the dude was telling the truth, he would've stated it sooner or not hidden it from us".

Give me an effin break. None of us have a multi-millionaire, attorney-backed, in-the-spotlight, ALL-PRO point of view on the subject. My self included, we are all just fans and working folk. We have the ability to be objective and sound off. Even if he did want to plead innocence, his attorneys wouldn't let him.

Mr teX
05-13-2010, 05:20 PM
If Cushing had a tumor(s) he would have played the victim card already. There's no reason to leave the ambiguity out there when you have the only valid excuse for having a higher-than-average HCG test result. We just need to accept the fact that he more than likely was cheating, attempted to avoid detection and got caught.

Dude, its been roughly 7 days since everyone found out about this & part of that time he was at a funeral. So him coming forward in a week's time wasn't fast enough for you to know that he thought he MIGHT have tumors benign or otherwise?

2nd, here's a kid who had an injury riddled career in college, & missed training camp because of an injury to his knee. If he comes forward & tells the organization when he 1st hears about this like "oh yeah, i might have tumors too so i need some personal time to check this out" how do you think the organization & us fans are gonna look at him especially with him being our top draft pick? It was in his & the team's best interest to keep it quiet not only money but also perception wise.

#2, He didn't even know until october what it was he tested positive for & from that perspective, he might've sought out info about what can cause elevated levels after the fact...If he appeals & wins no one has to know anything. If he comes forward from the beginning, he's got steroid allegations hurled at him during the season even if he does win his appeal, passes all subsequent tests & continues to beast like he wound up doing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying what he tried to defend himself with today was probably the truth, but it just seems like everyone's just being a little too dismissive. But my thing is, If you truly don't know how something happened, then you can't say what you WOULD or WOULD NOT HAVE done. Especially if you were "shocked" like he claims he was. What's more is that, you don't know if he actually did some of those things, cause no one asked him at the press conference & he didn't say.

Wolf
05-13-2010, 05:21 PM
he was told by his Lawyer and agent to keep quite ..

pretty standard

ChampionTexan
05-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Lol at this thread.

This is kind of funny coming from the same guy who wrote this in the Manny Ramirez PED thread

I don't look at one slugger from the last 15 to 20 years as being clean. I don't care who did steroids at this point. If they have HOF numbers and played great, I say let them all in. It isn't fair for the guys that got lucky and avoided a scandal and haven't been caught or named yet at this point or may never will and get to keep their positive reputation while class acts like Big Mac get ridiculed and chastised just for being some of the first ones to get mentioned.
LINK (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1180025&postcount=29)

(Oh, and for what it's worth, if you go through that entire thread, you won't fund much in way of villification of Manny - a couple posts here and there, but much of it is just an acknowledgement of the widespread nature of PED use).

GuerillaBlack
05-13-2010, 05:26 PM
This is kind of funny coming from the same guy who wrote this in the Manny Ramirez PED thread

(Oh, and for what it's worth, if you go through that entire thread, you won't fund much in way of villification of Manny - a couple posts here and there, but much of it is just an acknowledgement of the widespread nature of PED use).

It looks like this is the week people get all of they skeletons out of the closet.

Shaft75
05-13-2010, 05:28 PM
A tumor in a jar would be rather convincing.

Runner
05-13-2010, 05:30 PM
First of all, detailed information about Cushing's health isn't really the public's business, which is a problem for us who want to come to a conclusion about this.

Second, over the past few years we've seen righteous indignation and vehement denial from all manner of athletes when faced with failed drug tests. In many cases, real evidence or admissions from the athlete surface later to prove they were lying all along. I can't recall a case where the athlete was later vindicated, so I assume that doesn't happen very often. Sometimes the issue just fades away. I have seen excuses get more imaginative over the time.

So I've either learned from this history of athletes and drugs or have become biased because of these other athletes. In either case, I see Cushing as I do any other athlete in any sport; the Texans logo doesn't change that. I don't think the banned substance got into his system without his knowledge.

I admit that Cushing may be one of those rare athletes who gets vindicated, but what are the odds?

The best likely end result to me is he serves this suspension, moves on, and is never suspended again.

gary
05-13-2010, 05:31 PM
I don't give a darn either he is in it to stay once he comes back or he is not and the team will just have to move on without him.

Texecutioner
05-13-2010, 05:37 PM

I've never said that Cushing should lose his ROTY award once or criticized him as a player. I loved his passion last season and still love him as a player.

I'm just not naive enough to believe his excuses just because he's a Houston Texan. He was like the poster boy for Roids in college as far as speculation went and this recent incident pretty much takes away all of the speculation.

Manny got punished for his banned substance just like he should have. ANd Cush is going to be suspended just like he should be. If you're caught with banned substances accident or not (And I don't think anyone that's been caught in any sport tested positive by accident) should face whatever consequences they get other than stripping them of their records or awards.

gary
05-13-2010, 06:07 PM
From now on he knows the rules and if he gets caught again he should at the very least not be a Texan anymore. It does not have anything to do with roids being allowed in the NFL or not. As of right now they are not allowed case and point. If he wants to take roids and do harm to health in the long run that is beyond my control but he better learn how to cover his tracks real fast. I know this was not roids but I am just saying when he jacks up he also jacks up the team. He knows this team needs him and their goals. It is his job but most of all he may end up hindering the preformence of his teammates and while he still has my full support right now this not happen again. Brian's goal is to be on the field as much and as healthy as possible. Hopefully he is telling everyone the truth but if these health concerns were there last season he should should have sat out some games if he had to JMO.

Hardcore Texan
05-13-2010, 06:37 PM

true story.

This was you're 5th post in and you decide to go with this little gem heh? :specnatz:

:thisbig: :fingergun: :facepalm:

imatexan
05-13-2010, 06:57 PM
I believe him until proven otherwise.

It's going to be scary for the opposing team when he comes back, you thought he was a beast before...just wait!

PRO CUSH!

SheTexan
05-13-2010, 07:08 PM
I believe him until proven otherwise.

It's going to be scary for the opposing team when he comes back, you thought he was a beast before...just wait!

PRO CUSH!

Eli Manning is already having nightmares!!:)

gary
05-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Cush is still my boy but he better be let be the one and only bump in the road in his NFL career. Are you hearing me Cush?

Texan_Bill
05-13-2010, 07:30 PM

true story.

Really? ..... Really????? :facepalm:

Texan_Bill
05-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Cush is still my boy but he better be let be the one and only bump in the road in his NFL career. Are you hearing me Cush?

SuperGary, you need to say it more Like Will Ferrell: "You're my boy Cush!"

*starts hearing Kansas' ''Dust in the Wind''*

drewmar74
05-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Really? ..... Really????? :facepalm:

Oh yeah, TB. He most certainly went there. And took all of us with him.

gary
05-13-2010, 07:35 PM
supergary, you need to say it more like will ferrell: "you're my boy cush!"

*starts hearing kansas' ''dust in the wind''*your my boy cush

J_R
05-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Let's put this tumor rumor whatever you call it to rest:

Dr. Gary Wadler, who leads the committee that determines the World Anti-Doping Agency’s banned-substances list, said there have been cases of malignant testicular tumors producing HCG. Still, those cases are “extremely rare.”

“If he had a tumor that produced HCG, he wouldn’t be playing football,” Wadler said of Cushing. “He would be under treatment for a malignant tumor.”

Wadler also noted if Cushing tested positive once because of such a tumor, HCG levels would be consistently elevated and he would continue to have positive tests.

“Malignant testicular tumors producing HCG are rather lethal,” Wadler said. “It is a fairly aggressive tumor and you’re not playing in the NFL with one.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqD.1zpKukA2lC1uXCRCBZJDubYF?slug=ap-texans-cushing

Texan_Bill
05-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Oh yeah, TB. He most certainly went there. And took all of us with him.

WOW.. Just wow! That may have been appropriate in other forums, (and I'm no Saint), but not here.

your my boy cush

Axel Foley says:It should be more natural, brother. It should flow out, like this - "Look, man, YOU'RE MY BOY CUSH!" See, that's more natural for us. You been hanging out with this dude too long. *points to Thorn*

gary
05-13-2010, 07:45 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqD.1zpKukA2lC1uXCRCBZJDubYF?slug=ap-texans-cushingWe just have a winner here folks.

Thorn
05-13-2010, 07:51 PM
[Uncle Jed] I'm gonna have to have a long talk with that Texan Bill. [/Uncle Jed]

CloakNNNdagger
05-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Consistent with Dr. Wadler's statements above:

An important fact to keep in mind is indeed that HCG levels in testicular tumors are only found in 15% of cases. But once they are detected, they don't go down. They increase with growth of the tumor. HCG markers in the case of other tumors occur in even a lesser percentage of cases, and again don't disappear as long as the tumor is present. If a tumor is entirely removed, the HCG will no longer be detectable.

However, contra Dr. Wadler's statement, the most common testicular cancer, a seminoma (approximately 40% of testicular cancers) is SLOW growing and resist spread for quite a while. In contrast, the less common non-seminoma cancers are pretty agressive and fast growing and more likely to spread early.

Kaiser Toro
05-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Consistent with Dr. Wadler's statements above:

An important fact to keep in mind is indeed that HCG levels in testicular tumors are only found in 15% of cases. But once they are detected, they don't go down. They increase with growth of the tumor. HCG markers in the case of other tumors occur in even a lesser percentage of cases, and again don't disappear as long as the tumor is present. If a tumor is entirely removed, the HCG will no longer be detectable.

However, contra Dr. Wadler's statement, the most common testicular cancer, a seminoma (approximately 40% of testicular cancers) is SLOW growing and resist spread for quite a while. In contrast, the less common non-seminoma cancers are pretty agressive and fast growing and more likely to spread early.

Damn it CnD I'm a moderator, not a doctor. Give it to us straight, is Cushing a duck? :)

Honoring Earl 34
05-13-2010, 08:51 PM

true story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEmJ-VWPDM4

Honoring Earl 34
05-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Damn it CnD I'm a moderator, not a doctor. Give it to us straight, is Cushing a duck? :)

To me , it says the odds are about 80/20 ... at least ... that he juiced . I hope not but it quacks .

CloakNNNdagger
05-13-2010, 09:03 PM

I don't wish Cushing any ill. I try to offer appropriate background for our board members to add to other information available to them..........so they can form their own opinions. The answer to your question depends on if you view "QUACK" as a description of my "status" or a description of the sound that is expected to come out of a duck.:tiphat:

Honoring Earl 34
05-13-2010, 09:04 PM
There's something funny about this cover .

http://jbum.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341bf70753ef0115703a1f8f970b-800wi

ChampionTexan
05-13-2010, 09:47 PM
As curious as I am about the real story, and as skeptical (to put it mildly) as I am about the unknown origin of this substance (or as some suprisingly clever 610 listener texted to the afternoon show "The Immaculate Injection"), there are only two questions that I truly and deeply want to know the answer to, and while those answers will definitely be forthcoming, it won't be anytime real soon:

1. Is Cush gonna be clean the rest of his pro football career? (Define "clean" however you wish, but suffice it to say at a minimum it would consist of no further suspensions)

2. Is the the guy who played Sam LB for the Texans last year the real Brian Cushing.

I don't pretend to be smart enough to even try to guess at the answer to either question, but if either answer is no, then the other one no longer matters.

Go Cush - I'm pullin' hard for ya man!

scourge
05-13-2010, 09:51 PM

Dammit people, I said this to Porky earlier and I'll say it one more time... He isn't a duck, he's a platypus. Ducks are normal, he is a freak of nature able to adjust his hcg levels at any given time. hell, he probably has a flat beaver tail tucked in his pants and venomous ankle hooks. Back off the dude!!!

if i have to add the sarcasm smiley then you are a dumbass. Personally, I don't believe him but I support him regardless

ChampionTexan
05-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Dammit people, I said this to Porky earlier and I'll say it one more time... He isn't a duck, he's a platypus. Ducks are normal, he is a freak of nature able to adjust his hcg levels at any given time. hell, he probably has a flat beaver tail tucked in his pants and venomous ankle hooks. Back off the dude!!!

if i have to add the sarcasm smiley then you are a dumbass. Personally, I don't believe him but I support him regardless

If he were able to adjust his hcg levels at any given time, this thread (along with a few others) wouldn't exist. (But all the other things you mention are probably spot-on.)

Houston_Fanatic
05-13-2010, 10:05 PM
I love Cush as a player, but I do NOT believe he really played all last season believing he had a tumor. :mcnugget: Sorry, but I am not buying it. He should have just kept his mouth shut. I hope he stays clean from here on out and is able to maintain his level of performance.

Joe Texan
05-13-2010, 10:24 PM
He adressed the Media and all you Bozos just to be not believed. Quit sniffing his jock and lets get to some practice.

houstonhurricane
05-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Good lord, did he really throw that tumor story out there today? I mean seriously, what in the world were his PR folks thinking?

He would have been better off re-winning yesterday's AP vote and keeping quiet than coming out and trying to claim he worried that he was living with potential tumors the entirety of last season (so worried he didn't even bother to get them checked out).

Very, very bad day for Cushing.

Speedy
05-13-2010, 10:40 PM
I love Cush as a player, but I do NOT believe he really played all last believing he had a tumor. :mcnugget: Sorry, but I am not buying it. He should have just kept his mouth shut. I hope he stays clean from here on out and is able to maintain his level of performance.

Geez....he kept his mouth shut for a week and everyone's on his ass wondering why he doesn't say anything. He opens his mouth and unless the words "I did it" came out of it, nobody believes him. WTF??!!

Texan_Bill
05-13-2010, 10:43 PM
He adressed the Media and all you Bozos just to be not believed. Quit sniffing his jock and lets get to some practice.

I will school you Sunday whenever you show up as the "DD" so that we can go to that "TexansTalk Meet-up" at Bubba's.... Somewhere around noon(ish).. The really cool thing Joe, is that we can put a face to the people we post with. I hope a whole gang of folks show....

texansdrummer
05-13-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm ready to put this behind me. Whether or not any of us believe the story, the actual facts (which MANY people are not accurately accounting for), is that he tested positive (barely) one time, for a naturally-occurring substance. This "violation" was in September......before the season, and he's not had another such instance. I think that this is actually very important and worth noting - if there were to be a "drop-off", in terms of performance, then it's probable that we'd have noticed it at some point last season. I HIGHLY doubt that we'll see any less of Cushing's production once he's back. We'll likely never know what the real deal is (barring that he actually ends up developing cancer, which I certainly do not wish on him....even if it makes this forum more tolerable). Having said that, it would have been extremely easy, maybe even EASIER to simply admit that he took something - doing so would have immediately swept everything under the rug to a certain degree, unlike denying it. If it was going to be about damage control.....I would imagine that he would have taken the easy way out and just said that he took something. He didn't.....and I'm convinced that does him basically no favors because the people who will think he's guilty are going to think that no matter what. It'd all go away much faster if he said that he took something.....which is why I'm somewhat inclined to believe him.

Anyways......go Texans.:fans:

thunderkyss
05-13-2010, 11:19 PM
This is the curious thing about it. If my career was being scrutinized and jackholes like Peter King are going on NFLN's All Access spewing crap about rumors of high school steroid use, I'd have doctors with me at the press conference giving the world the lowdown on my medical condition.

Good point. But, he was confident his appeal would go through. He thought this was behind him. He didn't find out that his appeal was denied, and that he would be suspended until 6 days ago.

Think about it.

September, test reveal an elevated level of hCG. He was tested twice between taking that original test, and being notified the results were outside acceptable NFL levels. Those other tests met the requirements.

He files an appeal, and is tested several times randomly throughout the season. All those tests fall within acceptable NFL limits.

The season ends for the Texans January 3rd... I'm assuming he's heard nothing from the NFL on this issue. Maybe he begins to assume he's clear, and he can stop worrying about it. Cush more than likely goes to New Jersey and do whatever Cushmen do when they have a lot of money, and no real obligations.

February comes and goes... he hears nothing. March.. nothing. April... maybe he's thinking about the draft.

May.. he hears about the appeal's denial, a day later, he hears about his aunt dying.

two days later he has a press conference.

Houston_Fanatic
05-13-2010, 11:32 PM
Geez....he kept his mouth shut for a week and everyone's on his ass wondering why he doesn't say anything. He opens his mouth and unless the words "I did it" came out of it, nobody believes him. WTF??!!

I think he did more damage with what he said, which is always the risk.

J_R
05-13-2010, 11:36 PM
I think he did more damage with what he said, which is always the risk.

This. He hurt himself more than he helped himself but thats jmo

Lucky
05-14-2010, 05:34 AM
One week, and one press conference later, and all I've learned for sure is that Brian Cushing will miss the initial 4 games of the 2010 season.

I don't know if Cushing did or didn't take steroids.

I don't know if Cushing did or didn't take an injection of hCG.

I don't know if Cushing did or didn't have a tumor.

And that's OK, because that's between Brian Cushing and the NFL. I hope he's healthy. I hope he puts this episode behind him and continues to display the the inspiring brand of football we grew accustomed to in Cushing's award winning rookie season. Finally, I hope this team comes together to pick the slack in his absence. Because this suspension shouldn't deter the Texans from from a possible 2010 championship season.

Señor Stan
05-14-2010, 06:58 AM

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/senorstan/cushduck.jpg

steelbtexan
05-14-2010, 07:40 AM
One week, and one press conference later, and all I've learned for sure is that Brian Cushing will miss the initial 4 games of the 2010 season.

I don't know if Cushing did or didn't take steroids.

I don't know if Cushing did or didn't take an injection of hCG.

I don't know if Cushing did or didn't have a tumor.

And that's OK, because that's between Brian Cushing and the NFL. I hope he's healthy. I hope he puts this episode behind him and continues to display the the inspiring brand of football we grew accustomed to in Cushing's award winning rookie season. Finally, I hope this team comes together to pick the slack in his absence. Because this suspension shouldn't deter the Texans from from a possible 2010 championship season.

This

Repped

Although I ? the championship season part.

BigBull17
05-14-2010, 07:42 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqD.1zpKukA2lC1uXCRCBZJDubYF?slug=ap-texans-cushing

You also have to thik that if you looked, you could find a doctor that would say benighn tumors can cause elevated levels. And a third who says too many popcicles. Its time to drop it, cause the only person who knows is Cush.

CloakNNNdagger
05-14-2010, 07:43 AM
"I did not have sex with that woman."

"It depends what the meaning of is is."

"I want to make it known, I did not inject or ingest any substance that would enhance my performance."

Are these truths? I hate to remain jaded. But, just another something to think about: HCG can be obtained in very expensive delivery forms which require neither "ingestion" or "injection"..........nasal spray or transdermal (skin) patch.

gtexan02
05-14-2010, 07:51 AM
"I did not have sex with that woman."

"It depends what the meaning of is is."

"I want to make it known, I did not inject or ingest any substance that would enhance my performance."

Are these truths? I hate to remain jaded. But, just another something to think about: HCG can be obtained in very expensive delivery forms which require neither "ingestion" or "injection"..........nasal spray or transdermal (skin) patch.

He also said he had no idea what hcg was until it came back in his test and that he had no idea how it could have gotten in.

I see the point your making, but he lied many, many other times in that interview if he purposely took hcg

IDEXAN
05-14-2010, 08:45 AM
I've been a huge Cushing fan, and want very much to believe him and he certainly seems sincere, but bottom line is I got this feeling that we won't ever see that same guy again who0 played SAM for the Texans in 2009.
He will be a smaller, slower version of the elite player we saw in his rookie year. Hope I'm dead wrong about this.

drewmar74
05-14-2010, 09:01 AM
:deadhorse

drs23
05-14-2010, 09:35 AM
:deadhorse

^^^^this