PDA

View Full Version : AP Doing A Re-Vote

MFG16
05-10-2010, 05:05 PM
With The re-vote now taking place, cushing will likely lose his DROY award. IMO this is dumb. they will obviously vote some one else DROY so why not just give it to the 2nd place guy. I guess stripping the award straight up sets a bad precedent. Thoughts?

Link (ESPN): http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5176949

Link (Chronicle): http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6998827.html

b0ng
05-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Sportswriters are idiots.

Austrian
05-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Whatever. I just hope we can compensate for the loss of Cush for the first month.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Sportswriters are idiots.

The only idiot here is Brian Cushing. Let's pass blame here, Cushing made this bed and now he has to lie in it. There's consequences for every decision a person makes good or bad. If Cushing cheated he needs to be stripped of that award.

b0ng
05-10-2010, 05:16 PM
The only idiot here is Brian Cushing. Let's pass blame here, Cushing made this bed and now he has to lie in it. There's consequences for every decision a person makes good or bad. If Cushing cheated he needs to be stripped of that award.

Brian Cushing is dumb for getting caught, but lets not mince words here. This isn't the first time busted player won an award. I think the AP wanted to make some news themselves and are inserting themselves into the limelight because they know that it's an incredible waste of time.

GuerillaBlack
05-10-2010, 05:17 PM
The title looks funny.

devo-x
05-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Classic overreation - Let's re-vote without knowing all the facts involved

What if it turns out that Brian challenges and reverses the suspension in court?

Will the AP re-vote again? How many times can a re-vote occur?

Ckw
05-10-2010, 05:19 PM
So where were the jack offs in 2006 when Merriman tested positive for roids. He had just won the DROY award in 2005, yet did he get stripped? This is some bull ****.

Dutchrudder
05-10-2010, 05:20 PM

Great, but how about we reserve the judgment until we know what he actually took? If he loses this award for taking Sudafed, then I don't think it is warranted. If it's HGH, Roids or similar stuff, then fine, I can understand it. Doing the re-vote now before the whole story is public is a joke and it sets a bad precedent. The voters will not have all the information and it will only lead to more controversy in the long-run.

blitz90
05-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Cushing deserves to be punished and hopefully will be a man and learn from it.
With that said, this has got to be a joke right? Some sort of 'mock' re-vote? They can't really take that from him. One of the dumbest things i've ever heard.

Jackie Chiles
05-10-2010, 05:21 PM

I think he deserves to be stripped of the award but where was this outcry in 2002 when Peppers actually served a 4 game suspension during his rookie year? I think its a combination of an example being made of Cushing and the new age media where all the sportswriters etc. are probably all tweeting amongst themselves.

EDIT: I wonder if Justice would have written that article on how all this was pretty much a non-story had he known the AP would do a re-vote. That's a pretty solid amount of pie in his face.

J_R
05-10-2010, 05:25 PM
The AP also will be redoing the All-Pro voting for the position of outside linebacker.

Mr. White
05-10-2010, 05:30 PM
I hope all this just pisses him off even more and he plays like a man on fire starting game 5.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2010, 05:34 PM
I don't care what happened in the past with other players......that has nothing to do with Cushing. When you put banned substances into your body, you take the risk of public humiliation and shame. Cushing has to deal with the repercussions and I don't really care if he's stripped of every award and accolade. Hopefully he's shamed so bad that nothing like this will EVER happen again.

disaacks3
05-10-2010, 05:35 PM
The only idiot here is Brian Cushing. Let's pass blame here, Cushing made this bed and now he has to lie in it. There's consequences for every decision a person makes good or bad. If Cushing cheated he needs to be stripped of that award. Cushing making a mistake in NO WAY precludes sportwriters from being Id*o*s themselves. The AP has had precedent to do this before, but only now, THIS time decided to pull the trigger.

It's not like Cush has to give back his Pro Bowl bonus, so what's the point?

Jackie Chiles
05-10-2010, 05:40 PM
So now that they are re-voting.... who is the new favorite for 2010 DROY? I'm fairly confident its not gonna be Cushing so between Byrd, Orakpo and Matthews who gets it? Personally I think I'd have to go Orakpo.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Cushing making a mistake in NO WAY precludes sportwriters from being Id*o*s themselves. The AP has had precedent to do this before, but only now, THIS time decided to pull the trigger.

It's not like Cush has to give back his Pro Bowl bonus, so what's the point?

Who cares if they haven't pulled the trigger before? Sports Writers are growing more and more intolerant of athletes who use HGH and other steroids. Cushing put himself in this situation and he has nobody to blame, but himself. The only reason why people are getting upset with the decision of the AP or even care is, because it's happening to "their" guy. Frankly I'd rather he lose the award then having to listen to people everywhere constantly say how he doesn't deserve it, because he cheated.

eriadoc
05-10-2010, 05:46 PM
I agree with Rome on this one:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5178479

disaacks3
05-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Who cares if they haven't pulled the trigger before? Sports Writers are growing more and more intolerant of athletes who use HGH and other steroids. Cushing put himself in this situation and he has nobody to blame, but himself. The only reason why people are getting upset with the decision of the AP or even care is, because it's happening to "their" guy. Frankly I'd rather he lose the award then having to listen to people everywhere constantly say how he doesn't deserve it, because he cheated. Uhm, no. I'm upset that they just now decided to pull the trigger because it isn't one of their big markets in CA or NY that they'll be pi**ing off. I blame Cushing for what he did. His punishment is a 4-game suspension. Cushing, however, didn't call for this silly re-vote, the AP did. I'm blaming THEM for THEIR actions.

gary
05-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Here is the thing I have heard and seen reports of many NFL players using steroids without getting caught. If true, how do we know who is cheating and who is not? We don't. I have heard he is not the only one by any means. So, are they just going to give the award from one cheater to the next? Well, without any testing to these new front runners that seems to be the case IMO. I say these guys should be tested before hand it is only fair but even that does not mean they were not on anything at some point and time. Does it? Just saying.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Uhm, no. I'm upset that they just now decided to pull the trigger because it isn't one of their big markets in CA or NY that they'll be pi**ing off. I blame Cushing for what he did. His punishment is a 4-game suspension. Cushing, however, didn't call for this silly re-vote, the AP did. I'm blaming THEM for THEIR actions.

San Diego isn't a huge market.... So I don't get that argument at all. I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with this, because THIS ISN'T THE NFL'S DECISION. It's the AP's and the AP is a collection of writers from across the country. As far as blaming them for their actions.....they're taking the correct actions regardless if they didn't have the balls to do it in the past. Now a precedent is set, so now players will be stripped of awards if caught cheating.....GOOD, they deserve it.

Tailgate
05-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Paul Kuharskys take:

After a positive test that put Brian Cushing in violation of the league’s policy against performance enhancing drugs, we're asking if the Houston Texans star should be stripped of his defensive rookie of the year award from last season.

I think it’s too simple a question, and not the right one -- even as the Associated Press is having a re-vote.

Cushing reportedly failed the test in September. He wasn’t told he’d be suspended until February. He didn’t get word on his appeal until recently.

Cushing was eligible to play last season. How then can he be stripped? There is not a separate category of players with positive tests registered and being processed too slowly. Do we really want one?

I don’t. I want a faster process that assures that all the guys on the field are even, none benefitting from any unnatural advantages.

I also worry about an AP reversal nudging the league over the edge and onto a slippery slope. If Cushing is stripped, every award winner would be under a microscope he doesn't necessarily deserve.

And in what people like to call the ultimate team game, might not your performance-enhancing drug use help put a player in position for awards and the sort of contractual rewards that can come with them?

Let's say an offensive player of the year is a running back and some of his linemen tested positive. Maybe there's a quarterback who is protected by that line or registers some of his numbers by throwing to an enhanced receiver. Maybe there are defensive tackles who keep an MVP middle linebacker clear to make plays but who are later found to have used performance enhancers.

Would each of those awards rate as tainted and would the second-place finisher have a beef?

“John Doe is NFL MVP,” the reports would read, “presuming a positive test doesn’t come to light.” So we’d announce the award winners and then later we could have news reports that they passed their drug tests, confirming the awards and allowing for the engraver to go ahead and get to work on the plaques or trophies.

In light of all of that, I’d alter the question to this:

Why can’t a filthy rich league accelerate the drug testing process and expedite results and rulings and appeals? And wouldn’t that assure us, as best is as reasonable to expect, that the players on the field are in good standing with the league, and thus with the voters determining post-season awards?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/11700/on-cushing-were-asking-wrong-question

wagonhed
05-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Lol, they can vote all they damn well want. In fact, I hope they lobby to get his stats erased from the NFL record books. I don't give a ****. Cushing owned fools last year and will continue owning fools this year and on through the rest of his career. If you disagree with that, you can suck it.

Here's a question for you. You think Mike Singletary would pout if they took away his award? You think Lawrence Taylor would whine if they revoted on his All-Pro status? How about Dick Butkus? **** no. These people care about one thing and one thing only and that's playing football. If anyone thinks any of this **** is going to affect Cushing or keep him from bringing it strong when his suspension is over, you've got another thing coming.

gary
05-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Here is the thing I have heard and seen reports of many NFL players using steroids without getting caught. If true, how do we know who is cheating and who is not? We don't. I have heard he is not the only one by any means. So, are they just going to give the award from one cheater to the next? Well, without any testing to these new front runners that seems to be the case IMO. I say these guys should be tested before hand it is only fair but even that does not mean they were not on anything at some point and time. Does it? Just saying.I just want to make sure this post is seen. Thanks.

xreadx
05-10-2010, 06:17 PM

matthews told me he was juiceing also... after they vote him in ima request a revote...this is all nonsense...who doesnt use roids in some shape and form.? the qbs and kickers? ill bet most qbs have takin roids in high school and/or college also. everyone who says "cushing needs to pay the price for cheating" get out from under your damn rock!

gary
05-10-2010, 06:21 PM
matthews told me he was juiceing also... after they vote him in ima request a revote...this is all nonsense...who doesnt use roids in some shape and form.? the qbs and kickers? ill bet most qbs have takin roids in high school and/or college also. everyone who says "cushing needs to pay the price for cheating" get out from under your damn rock!This is why I brought up the point of giving the same award from one cheater to another. What is the point?

xreadx
05-10-2010, 06:22 PM
if all texans DID NOT TAKE ROIDS we would be 0-16 EVERY year...so buy your season tickets and watch the roid rage idiots

gary
05-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Maybe they should just can the award for 2009 and start over next season. Just a thought.

wagonhed
05-10-2010, 06:28 PM
if all texans DID NOT TAKE ROIDS we would be 0-16 EVERY year...so buy your season tickets and watch the roid rage idiots

lol. funny but true.

xreadx
05-10-2010, 06:29 PM
ima reach blindly and say if i remember correctly Demarcus Ware broke his neck or atleast he was carted off field in a stretcher with a neck brace and then 6 days later the dallas cowboys played and BEAT the super bowl champs and made a important sack at the end of the game...he played all four quarters...sounds like a hell of a Wheaties commercial to me.. his awards
# 2007 All Iron Award Winner
# 2008 Galloping Gobbler Award Winner
# 2008 NFL Butkus Award winner
# NFL 2000s All-Decade Team
lets take all those awards away cause I think he took some sort of drug....

xreadx
05-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Maybe they should just can the award for 2009 and start over next season. Just a thought.

he will not play all games in 2010, so i dont think cush qualifies for any awards... i know he doesnt qualify for pro bowl.

gary
05-10-2010, 06:36 PM
he will not play all games in 2010, so i dont think cush qualifies for any awards... i know he doesnt qualify for pro bowl.It still might be better than just handing the award to someone else at this point.

CloakNNNdagger
05-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Here may lie the answer....... "The Merriman Rule" established in 2007:

Chargers LB supports the "Merriman Rule"
By Mike Klis
Denver Post Staff Writer
Posted: 02/07/2007 01:00:00 AM MST

Ko Olina, Hawaii - To his credit, Shawne Merriman didn't allow the elevator doors to close.

As he moved from the lobby of JW Marriott Ihilani Resort & Spa to the elevator banks here Tuesday, Merriman had been asked about his decision to honor his Pro Bowl commitment, even though the San Diego Chargers' outside linebacker well understood he would serve as the game's lightning rod.

"No, I'm not embarrassed," Merriman said while holding the elevator doors open - and quite easily, at that. "The fans wanted me here. If the fans didn't want me here, I wouldn't have been here. But it was the fans who decided they wanted to see me play and I'm honored by that. I think I would disappoint the fans if I didn't show up."

In future years, players in Merriman's situation may be barred by what is likely to be known as the "Merriman Rule." Earlier this season, Merriman tested positive for steroids and, though he denied the charge, the league ordered him to serve a four-game suspension.

Merriman's supreme athletic skills and steroid allegations collided into controversy later this season when, despite his suspension, he became mentioned as a defensive player of the year candidate. Miami's Jason Taylor, who eventually received the award, and later Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said they thought honoring a player charged with taking steroids would be sending a terrible message.

Roger Goodell agrees, and there were reports last week the NFL commissioner will prohibit any player who tests positive for performance-enhancing drugs from individual postseason awards, including the Pro Bowl.

The rule likely will be formalized in the offseason - to the overwhelming support of the league's top players. Including Merriman.

"I think it's a good rule for the NFL," Merriman said. "That way you make sure every player got here on their own merits."

Said Broncos safety John Lynch: "I like the kid. He's a very respectful person and obviously a great player. But we've got rules and I applaud the league for always being ahead of the curve."

Many players were impressed by Merriman's presence here this week, when so many other stars would have come up with a mysterious injury to avoid embarrassment or scrutiny.

"He's not that way," Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson said. "He's not going to duck it. He wants to do the right thing."

Merriman, Taylor and Bailey are all here this week, preparing for Saturday's Pro Bowl.

"It's not awkward for me," Taylor said. "I would love for him to be on our team. And we'll talk and have a couple mai tai's."

LINK (http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_5172209)

b0ng
05-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Here may lie the answer....... "The Merriman Rule" established in 2007:

LINK (http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_5172209)

Roger Goodell doesn't control the AP though (Which is the group of people doing the re-votes).

EDIT: And nothing has come of Cushing's 2009 PB nomination.

gary
05-10-2010, 06:44 PM
The AP stinks.

MFG16
05-10-2010, 06:49 PM
NFL live just had John Clayton on (who has a vote for DROY), and he said he would still vote for Cushing if he came out and told the public what exactly he tested positive for. So why is Cush being so quiet? If he wants to keep his award he should just say what triggered the positive test. FYI voters have till noon wednesday to vote.

CloakNNNdagger
05-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Roger Goodell doesn't control the AP though (Which is the group of people doing the re-votes).

EDIT: And nothing has come of Cushing's 2009 PB nomination.

Don't kill the messenger. This is a very fresh story. Would it shock anyone if the NFL announces just that in the near future?

Ryan
05-10-2010, 06:52 PM
It's not really like the DROY award is that prestigious anyway IMO. It's just a bunch of sportswriters who sit on their ass on Sundays waiting to be amazed. That being said, i'm not surprised Byrd didn't win it in the first place because he made the "flashy" interceptions and is so amazing, even though all of them were off of deflections of some sort.

I personally know that Cushing kicks ass, we all know Cushing kicks ass, most of America still probably thinks he kicks ass, Justin Fargas knows he kicks ass, so who really cares what some sportswriters think?

gary
05-10-2010, 06:53 PM
NFL live just had John Clayton on (who has a vote for DROY), and he said he would still vote for Cushing if he came out and told the public what exactly he tested positive for. So why is Cush being so quiet? If he wants to keep his award he should just say what triggered the positive test. FYI voters have till noon wednesday to vote.Without any doubt he should come clean. I have been saying that all along.

devo-x
If this supposed violation occured in September 2009, why was he allowed to play during the season at all? If it was serious, the four game suspension should have been served last year

Imatexanfan
So where were the jack offs in 2006 when Merriman tested positive for roids. He had just won the DROY award in 2005, yet did he get stripped? This is some bull ****.

As bad as I don't want to this but, that's because Merriman plays for a "known football team", sorta speak. They are only doing this, IMO only because we are the Texans and it just seems like anyway possible whatever happens they are going to try and put us down. But Cush being out 4 games, we still gonna make the playoffs, they gonna have to do better than that. It's our time...

b0ng
05-10-2010, 06:55 PM
If this supposed violation occured in September 2009, why was he allowed to play during the season at all? If it was serious, the four game suspension should have been served last year

Appeals process.

Don't kill the messenger. This is a very fresh story. Would it shock anyone if the NFL announces just that in the near future?

I don't think Cushing is eligible for the 2010 PB because of this suspension. As far as the NFL is concerned (currently) he won't be up for any (NFL) awards in 2010 but 2009 is a-ok.

Also, the Merriman rule was because he went to the Pro Bowl in the same season as serving a suspension for a banned substance and Goodell didn't like it. As far as the Merriman rule is concerned Cushing is up for nothing in 2010 no matter how well he plays in 12 games.

CloakNNNdagger
05-10-2010, 07:00 PM

When I was saying that there was no accurate chronology of the time line, I was questioning the length of time from appeal presented to appeal acted upon to announcement of suspension. This tends to tell me that the final decision to the submitted appeal did not occur until after the postseason was completed.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2010, 07:05 PM
matthews told me he was juiceing also... after they vote him in ima request a revote...this is all nonsense...who doesnt use roids in some shape and form.? the qbs and kickers? ill bet most qbs have takin roids in high school and/or college also. everyone who says "cushing needs to pay the price for cheating" get out from under your damn rock!

:rolleyes:

Oh god, is that now what we've come to. In a sad attempt to wash away the shame, we've gone to the "everybody's doing it, so let's accept it" card.

I didn't like steroid users before it stained our team and I'm not going to except it now, because it stained our team. Not everybody in the league is dirty....that's nonsense. There are players who cheat and then there are players who are clean and compete the right way, not everybody in the league is dirty.

Cushing and every other steriod user needs to pay the price once they get caught.

MFG16
05-10-2010, 07:10 PM

Oh god, is that now what we've come to. In a sad attempt to wash away the shame, we've gone to the "everybody's doing it, so let's accept it" card.

I didn't like steroid users before it stained our team and I'm not going to except it now, because it stained our team. Not everybody in the league is dirty....that's nonsense. There are players who cheat and then there are players who are clean and compete the right way, not everybody in the league is dirty.

Cushing and every other steriod user needs to pay the price once they get caught.

I agree with everything your saying but untill the info on what Cushing tested positive for is released or leaked, we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

gary
05-10-2010, 07:11 PM

I didn't like steroid users before it stained our team and I'm not going to except it now, because it stained our team. Not everybody in the league is dirty....that's nonsense. There are players who cheat and then there are players who are clean and compete the right way, not everybody in the league is dirty.Maybe not every but quite a few are. I am not accepting anything. Just saying.

GuerillaBlack
05-10-2010, 07:11 PM

Oh, so you know for sure he tested positive for steroids?

gary
05-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Why won't he say what it was/is?

b0ng
05-10-2010, 07:17 PM
If Cushing isn't going to come out and say what chemical failed him then I think it's safe to assume the worst.

kastofsna
05-10-2010, 07:21 PM
man i just do not care about steroids or that players use them. i have no problem with it at all in sports.

Ole Miss Texan
05-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Here is the thing I have heard and seen reports of many NFL players using steroids without getting caught. If true, how do we know who is cheating and who is not? We don't. I have heard he is not the only one by any means. So, are they just going to give the award from one cheater to the next? Well, without any testing to these new front runners that seems to be the case IMO. I say these guys should be tested before hand it is only fair but even that does not mean they were not on anything at some point and time. Does it? Just saying.
I hear what you're saying and have the same feeling, but the fact is (as far as we know) they havn't tested positive for any banned substances. Why not throw away every single individual award like both ROY's, MVP, Super Bowl MVPs, etc. It's the same concept, you'd think a lot of players that may win the award have taken a banned substance. But the difference is Cushing tested positive for it, the other havn't.

Why won't he say what it was/is?

If Cushing isn't going to come out and say what chemical failed him then I think it's safe to assume the worst.
We all want him to, and chances are he will. Right now he's doing the smart thing. He made a public statement that is was a non-steroid. I'm sure he's talking to his family, agent and attorneys right now. I know it's easy to say, 'if he's innocent then he should just say what it is' but quite honestly, even if he is, the smart thing is be get legal advice, yadda yadda yadda. He'll have his time. He's already taken the first step and that's saying it was a non-steroid.

Chances are it will be before the voting occurs. But I have a feeling Cushing cares more about what the league, other players, texans management and texans players think of him.... as well as the fans. I think he's more worried about his reputation right now than some awards, which is how it should be, imo.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Oh, so you know for sure he tested positive for steroids?

Sorry, but in the year 2010 it's now up to the athlete to clear his name and so far Brian Cushing has been AWFUL QUIET. I hate that that's how it is, but it is....he can thank all the other knuckle heads during this past decade for that.

And if he thinks just saying "it was a non steroid" is going to suffice...it's not.

JB
05-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Adam Schefter replies;

As it should be. RT @NYPost_NFL: According to AP officials, several voters have already voted Brian Cushing Defensive ROY a second time.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Ole Miss Texan
05-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Adam Schefter replies;

As it should be. RT @NYPost_NFL: According to AP officials, several voters have already voted Brian Cushing Defensive ROY a second time.

Woohoo!! :slapfight::texflag::kingkong::worldpeace:

Now that would be AWESOME if he still wins it.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Adam Schefter replies;

Well, where's all the people that were calling these guys idiots a couple hours ago. :)

Wolf
05-10-2010, 07:29 PM
to me this is the biggest bull**** excuse here
"In 2002, the voters knew Peppers had been suspended when they voted, and they knew Williams had been suspended when they voted," Wilner said. "In this case, some thought they voted under false pretenses because no one knew Cushing had tested positive and was appealing when they voted.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6998827.html

I could care less if they take it away, I imagine that will give him more motivation

and I figure (which most times is wrong) that if Cushing was notified in Sept that he failed, I figure that whatever not -steroidal stuff he was taking, he changed that and was clean throughout the season .. and if that is the case .. God help the AFC South and NFC East this season when he comes back

*edit* if what someone posted above me is true. he still has it ..anyway .. off my pedestal

JB
05-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Well, where's all the people that were calling these guys idiots a couple hours ago. :)

dinnertime, might want to give it 5 or so...

Carr Bombed
05-10-2010, 07:32 PM
to me this is the biggest bull**** excuse here
"In 2002, the voters knew Peppers had been suspended when they voted, and they knew Williams had been suspended when they voted," Wilner said. "In this case, some thought they voted under false pretenses because no one knew Cushing had tested positive and was appealing when they voted.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6998827.html

I could care less if they take it away, I imagine that will give him more motivation

and I figure (which most times is wrong) that if Cushing was notified in Sept that he failed, I figure that whatever not -steroidal stuff he was taking, he changed that and was clean throughout the season .. and if that is the case .. God help the AFC South and NFC East this season when he comes back

Well, half the NFC EAST games will already be played, as will one of the games against the divisional opponent that we're chasing....so I don't think they'll be too scared.

b0ng
05-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Right here. They are idiots. If he actually wins again then they look like buffoons.

Wolf
05-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Well, half the NFC EAST games will already be played, as will one of the games against the divisional opponent that we're chasing....so I don't think they'll be too scared.

true!

JB
05-10-2010, 07:33 PM

Brian Cushing was suspended four games and has created doubters in him - that is his punishment. Losing an award shouldn't be tacked on.

RT @McClain_on_NFL: Cushing passed every random test since Sept. I voted Kevin Williams first team, so why wouldn't I vote for Cushing?

Ole Miss Texan
05-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Well, where's all the people that were calling these guys idiots a couple hours ago.

LOL, right? (OMT quietly sits down)... Maybe they're having the same feeling as I am.

1. The AP is dumb to call a re-vote this early.
2. They believe it is a non-steroid, non perfromance enhancing drug.
3. Even though it's on the banned substance list, they may think its either BS or they don't have enough information to take an award AWAY.

Whatever the case, it sucks he has to serve his suspension. I hope the Texans still do well and make the playoffs. I hope Cushing can clear his name and have a great career as a Texan.

AnthonyE
05-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Brian Cushing was suspended four games and has created doubters in him - that is his punishment. Losing an award shouldn't be tacked on.

RT @McClain_on_NFL: Cushing passed every random test since Sept. I voted Kevin Williams first team, so why wouldn't I vote for Cushing?

NFLN losing Adam Schefter was a huge blow to the network. The man has some great insights, and I've never seen a bias from him ever. "Around the League" isn't the same without him.

JB
05-10-2010, 07:38 PM
NFLN losing Adam Schefter was a huge blow to the network. The man has some great insights, and I've never seen a bias from him ever. "Around the League" isn't the same without him.

Your right. Huge loss for NFLN. Especially around draft time.

Ole Miss Texan
05-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Totally agree on Schefter. I think he does a really good job of not sounding biased and he seems to have more connections than the CIA.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2010, 07:42 PM

I can't stand that dork that they replaced him with. They should've just paid Adam whatever he wanted.

GuerillaBlack
05-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Adam Schefter replies;

If this hold true, Cushing will get the last laugh. This is damn great.

gary
05-10-2010, 07:52 PM
I hear what you're saying and have the same feeling, but the fact is (as far as we know) they havn't tested positive for any banned substances. Why not throw away every single individual award like both ROY's, MVP, Super Bowl MVPs, etc. It's the same concept, you'd think a lot of players that may win the award have taken a banned substance. But the difference is Cushing tested positive for it, the other havn't.

We all want him to, and chances are he will. Right now he's doing the smart thing. He made a public statement that is was a non-steroid. I'm sure he's talking to his family, agent and attorneys right now. I know it's easy to say, 'if he's innocent then he should just say what it is' but quite honestly, even if he is, the smart thing is be get legal advice, yadda yadda yadda. He'll have his time. He's already taken the first step and that's saying it was a non-steroid.

Chances are it will be before the voting occurs. But I have a feeling Cushing cares more about what the league, other players, texans management and texans players think of him.... as well as the fans. I think he's more worried about his reputation right now than some awards, which is how it should be, imo.Great points I agree all the way around. I never thought about none of the others testing postive but you are right on target man. Rep for you.

JB
05-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Jason Whitlock replies to Peter King

U guys re-modeling HOF next week? Im gonna miss the Steelers. RT @SI_PeterKing: There is no way I can vote for PED user Def rookie of year

http://twitter.com/WhitlockJason

LonerATO
05-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Right here. They are idiots. If he actually wins again then they look like buffoons.

I think its only a few people that wanted to revote and that is why writers are still giving him the award or it could be because many voted for Peppers and he kept his award.

LonerATO
05-10-2010, 08:02 PM

I like La Canfora, but God knows I want to curb stomp Rich Eisen.

b0ng
05-10-2010, 08:05 PM
I think its only a few people that wanted to revote and that is why writers are still giving him the award or it could be because many voted for Peppers and he kept his award.

This is why I think they are being idiots. They knowingly voted for Kevin Williams this year (who is serving a suspension in 2010 for a banned substance) and they voted for Peppers his rookie year so basically why are they re-voting again?

EDIT: Well they (the whole lot of them) might not be as stupid as I make them out to be, but if it was one person who called a re-vote then that person is all I paint these sports writers to be.

EDIT2: Kevin Williams voted All-Pro DT. Just so people don't think that I'm saying Kevin Williams was in the running for some kind of rookie award this recently.

Texan_Bill
05-10-2010, 08:08 PM
YOUR AN *****! its pointless to argue on this thread but your a foolish moron in regards to this...you ever worn a jock strap? and did you graduate with a class over 14....

Who are you quoting there?

Ole Miss Texan
05-10-2010, 08:12 PM
YOUR AN *****! its pointless to argue on this thread but your a foolish moron in regards to this...you ever worn a jock strap? and did you graduate with a class over 14....
? Harsh much?

GuerillaBlack
05-10-2010, 08:13 PM

lol, wut?

JB
05-10-2010, 08:14 PM
? Harsh much?

MD20/20 maybe....

gary
05-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Who are you quoting there?Some *****. Don't you know?:kitten::pissed:

GuerillaBlack
05-10-2010, 08:17 PM
MD20/20 maybe....

Go ahead. Blame the PED.

JB
05-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Go ahead. Blame the PED.

Don't know that I would call Mad Dog "performance enhancing"; but it will definitly change your outlook...

b0ng
05-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Go ahead. Blame the PED.

Alcohol is my performance enhancing drug.

Texan_Bill
05-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Some *****. Don't you know?:kitten::pissed:

Really my man, I wanted to know who he was quoting.

Texan_Bill
05-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Alcohol is my performance enhancing drug.

You're an amateur.... You aint ready for the big leagues. ;)

JB
05-10-2010, 08:24 PM
You're an amateur.... You aint ready for the big leagues. ;)

Thank god for old pro's like you to show us the way Bill!

Ole Miss Texan
05-10-2010, 08:28 PM

Found it found it!!!!!

And Carr Bombed, you must be some ******! Don't you know every single player in the NFL is roided up? The going rate is 100% these days. I think the new question now is not boxers or briefs., but rather 'jock strap or not'? lol

Texan_Bill
05-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Found it found it!!!!!

And Carr Bombed, you must be some ******! Don't you know every single player in the NFL is roided up? The going rate is 100% these days. I think the new question now is not boxers or briefs., but rather 'jock strap or not'? lol

Thanks man!!

That's ****ed up!! Maybe xreadx needs to re-read the T&C of this message board. Attack the post, not the poster. I agree with CB on a lot of ****. On this particular subject I disagree with some of his posts, but isn't that point of message board? Discuss or debate issues? Not be a dick about it.

xreadx discredited him or herself by going to the attack schtick....

gary
05-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Really my man, I wanted to know who he was quoting.Carrbombed my man. He is soooooooooooo dumb.:peek::doot:

JB
05-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks man!!

That's ****ed up!! Maybe xreadx needs to re-read the T&C of this message board. Attack the post, not the poster. I agree with CB on a lot of ****. On this particular subject I disagree with some of his posts, but isn't that point of message board? Discuss or debate issues? Not be a dick about it.

xreadx discredited him or herself by going to the attack schtick....

Exactly!

GuerillaBlack
05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Carr Bombed should be banned for having Carr in his username.

Ban him. Now.

Ole Miss Texan
05-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Ban him. Now.

"HWSNBN Bombed" it is going forward. lol

Carr Bombed
05-10-2010, 08:43 PM

Ban him. Now.

It's my mark that I must bear for being a fan of the guy when we first drafted that clown. :)

gary
05-10-2010, 08:46 PM

Ban him. Now.Well, most of the time idiots have silly user names. Shame on him.:turtle:

Texan_Bill
05-10-2010, 08:47 PM
It's my mark that I must bear for being a fan of the guy when we first drafted that clown. :)

You weren't the only one...... :hides:

Wolf
05-10-2010, 08:48 PM
fyi.. I know Brian has been quiet this week.. news on his fastbook by people(nothing said by Brian) was his aunt died and the reason he went to NJ

what a weekend for Cush

Texan_Bill

Ban him. Now.

"HWSNBN Bombed" it is going forward. lol

:spit:

CB, you should have the mods change your username... :texanbill:

xreadx
LMAO....Oh I know what we've got here now.

Some moron who was a star high school football player who still can't accept the fact that he didn't have enough talent to move forward. You don't know **** about what goes on in a NFL locker room, because you've never been in one. Now get over yourself.

are you kidding??? anyone could have steroids at my high school if they wanted them (nederland high school(TX)) look it up. and if you would take steroids in HIGH SCHOOL what makes you think mario doesnt take them to get an extra sack or two can result in millions of extra dollars in new contract money...i cant understand why SOME of you are blind to the fact that >50% of all NFL players take or have takin at one point in time a PED!

gary
05-10-2010, 08:50 PM
I used to be a T. Mac fan.

bah007
05-10-2010, 08:50 PM
are you kidding??? anyone could have steroids at my high school if they wanted them (nederland high school(TX)) look it up. and if you would take steroids in HIGH SCHOOL what makes you think mario doesnt take them an extra sack or two can result in millions of extra dollars in new contract money...i cant understand why SOME of you are blind to the fact that >50% of all NFL players take or have takin at one point in time a PED!

So you never made the varsity squad and now everybody that is better than you is a cheater huh?..

xreadx
05-10-2010, 08:51 PM
check out my facebook I dont have anything to hide.

Texan_Bill
05-10-2010, 08:52 PM
check out my facebook I dont have anything to hide.

Why?

JB
05-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Why?

Attention...

Texan_Bill
05-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Attention...

Right, I guess..... :cool:

mariowillshine15
05-10-2010, 09:03 PM
The only thing that bothers me about this is that Peppers and Merriman were caught using PEDs and didnt get their awards taken away or re-voted on.

If your going to do something be consistent.

Texan_Bill
05-10-2010, 09:07 PM
The only thing that bothers me about this is that Peppers and Merriman were caught using PEDs and didnt get their awards taken away or re-voted on.

If your going to do something be consistent.

From what I've gathered over this whole debacle is that after Merriman's DROY, the league changed the rules, thus "the Merriman Rule" about rescinding awards after being busted on rules violations (more specifically steroid and derivatives of steroids to include masking agents and including, but not limited to, ephedrine, etc.).

Grid
05-10-2010, 09:12 PM
AP Idiots.

It has already been confirmed that it was for a non-steroidal substance.

Now.. it may have been a masking agent which could have been used to HIDE a steroidal substance.. but the fact that he passed 19 of 20 tests, and that this failed test happened in september and Cush continued to own throughout the rest of the year, while passing his PED tests..

i just dont know how these jackholes came to this conclusion. This is a classic case of Guilty until proven Innocent.. except they arent even going to allow any "proving" to take place. There is a smidge of doubt, so they are going to strip him of his award.

Its inexcusable, and the fact that some of you are agreeing with them pisses me off. These AP jerkoffs are kicking one of our players while they are down.. they are unfairly judging our player and our team.. and some of you are nodding your heads and agreeing with them. Will the real Texans fans please stand up.

gary
05-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Wow, lots of people are idiots tonight.

xreadx
05-10-2010, 09:24 PM
So you never made the varsity squad and now everybody that is better than you is a cheater huh?..

thats why. people dont know who I am or what ive done. im for cushings juiceing, I feel its the only fair way to play, vernon davis is juiceing and cush couldnt cover him...

gary
05-10-2010, 09:27 PM
thats why. people dont know who I am or what ive done. im for cushings juiceing, I feel its the only fair way to play, vernon davis is juiceing and cush couldnt cover him...You know he is for sure?

Texan_Bill
05-10-2010, 09:31 PM
You know he is for sure?

SuperGary, in short..... No.

mariowillshine15
05-10-2010, 09:34 PM
From what I've gathered over this whole debacle is that after Merriman's DROY, the league changed the rules, thus "the Merriman Rule" about rescinding awards after being busted on rules violations (more specifically steroid and derivatives of steroids to include masking agents and including, but not limited to, ephedrine, etc.).

Didnt know that. Thanks for the information.

Anybody read anything about how this vote will come out? Cush have a chance of keeping it?

xreadx
05-10-2010, 09:34 PM
SuperGary, in short..... No.

hes effin dedicated if he doesnt... (http://football4america.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/jacked-vernon.jpg)

gary
05-10-2010, 09:35 PM
SuperGary, in short..... No.Well, you know I just thought he is that good.

MFG16
05-10-2010, 09:37 PM
hes effin dedicated if he doesnt... (http://football4america.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/jacked-vernon.jpg)

don't wanna be an A** hole but almost everybody in the nfl looks like that. except for probably QB's and DT's.

b0ng
05-10-2010, 09:37 PM

The Merriman rule applies to awards given by the NFL (Not the AP). Goodell made that rule after Merriman went to the PB after serving a 4 game suspension earlier that same season.

edit: bill you have to get with the times, this ain't your high school messageboard here we are for real.

gary
05-10-2010, 09:44 PM
FYI, no one knows anything without those samples plain and simple.

CloakNNNdagger
05-10-2010, 10:09 PM
AP Idiots.

Now.. it may have been a masking agent which could have been used to HIDE a steroidal substance.. but the fact that he passed 19 of 20 tests, and that this failed test happened in september and Cush continued to own throughout the rest of the year, while passing his PED tests..

i just dont know how these jackholes came to this conclusion. This is a classic case of Guilty until proven Innocent.. except they arent even going to allow any "proving" to take place. There is a smidge of doubt, so they are going to strip him of his award.

Its inexcusable, and the fact that some of you are agreeing with them pisses me off. These AP jerkoffs are kicking one of our players while they are down.. they are unfairly judging our player and our team.. and some of you are nodding your heads and agreeing with them. Will the real Texans fans please stand up.

Confirmed by................?

b0ng
05-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Confirmed by................?

Brian Cushing's press statement and lie detector! What you don't believe him? You wanna say that to his face? You know he gets angry!

wagonhed
05-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Brian Cushing's press statement and lie detector! What you don't believe him? You wanna say that to his face? You know he gets angry!

:lol:

eriadoc
05-10-2010, 10:17 PM
AP Idiots.

Look man, it's not that I disagree with your sentiment, but I keep getting tripped up on one thing - Brian Cushing did this to himself. The list of banned substances under the "performance enhancing" section of the book is available to every player. When your body is your livelihood, you either know what you're taking, or you're a moron. Either way, it's all on Brian Cushing. And all the rationalizations and excuses in the world won't change the fact that HE TOOK THE SUBSTANCE. And it doesn't matter if it was a traditional anabolic steroid or a masking agent, or pixie sticks. If it's on the banned list, he knows better than to take it.

That doesn't change my fan-dom of him, but I recognize that, at the very least, he was stupid, and quite possibly he was taking something or trying to hide what he was taking. Speculation by us doesn't matter, because the NFL knows what he took, and they levied the prescribed punishment. So the fact finding trial part of this incident is over, and Cush was found guilty. It's just that we fans aren't privy to the court transcripts, so to speak.

Most importantly, he hurt the team.

CloakNNNdagger
05-10-2010, 10:37 PM

His statements don't change anything as far as what he did to himself, to the team and to his fans (look at all the bad blood it is creating here). But I still want to believe him. Before it's all "over," he better be able to handle himself answering the tough questions coming from sources outside of just his own fan base........and without showing that he is threatened, and without demonstrating a threatening attitude to those might still be left with doubt.

GuerillaBlack
05-10-2010, 10:45 PM
If Cushing wins the re-vote, will the AP have another re-vote? I'm pretty sure people will already be laughing at them if Cushing wins again, but if they have another re-vote, it'll be pure comedy.

Spled
05-10-2010, 11:07 PM
We all know if the player was from an east coast market this wouldn't be happening. If we're going to get into this crap, then let's start putting asterisks back by records.

Allstar
05-10-2010, 11:42 PM
So any word on when to expect the results of the re-vote?

b0ng
05-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Tomorrow.

High Noon.

Grid
05-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Look man, it's not that I disagree with your sentiment, but I keep getting tripped up on one thing - Brian Cushing did this to himself. The list of banned substances under the "performance enhancing" section of the book is available to every player. When your body is your livelihood, you either know what you're taking, or you're a moron. Either way, it's all on Brian Cushing. And all the rationalizations and excuses in the world won't change the fact that HE TOOK THE SUBSTANCE. And it doesn't matter if it was a traditional anabolic steroid or a masking agent, or pixie sticks. If it's on the banned list, he knows better than to take it.

That doesn't change my fan-dom of him, but I recognize that, at the very least, he was stupid, and quite possibly he was taking something or trying to hide what he was taking. Speculation by us doesn't matter, because the NFL knows what he took, and they levied the prescribed punishment. So the fact finding trial part of this incident is over, and Cush was found guilty. It's just that we fans aren't privy to the court transcripts, so to speak.

Most importantly, he hurt the team.

Thats a very black and white way of looking at something that is very grey though.

For one.. I agree completely that it is his fault that he failed the test...that he should have known better and that he was in the wrong for whatever it is that he took. It hurt his career and it hurt this team. I dont disagree with anything there. Im disappointed in him too, and im angry that he let it happen and that we arent going to have him for 4 games.

But thats as far as it goes.. anything else is jumping to conclusions. Saying he cheated is bull****. For one.. its already been said that he did not fail the test for steroids. Does that mean that he didnt take steroids? No it just means that WE DONT KNOW IF HE TOOK STEROIDS. That is why he is banned for 4 games.. because the NFL could not say beyond a shadow of a doubt that he DIDNT take steroids.

Brian Cushing says he didnt take steroids... he took a lie detector test supposedly and passed it on that account. he also passed his other 19 PED tests and continued to perform at a high level for the majority of the season AFTER failing this test. I also believe (but am not sure) that he passed PED tests after he failed the one.

Im not saying this clears his name.. all im saying is that there is PLENTY OF EVIDENCE to suggest that he did not cheat. There is MORE evidence that he DID NOT cheat than there is evidence that he did. The only problem is that that one failed tests means that no one can say with 100% certainty that he didnt.

But since there is no hard evidence that he did.. I feel that all true FANS should support him and assume that he is being honest when he says that he didnt take steroids. And considering the amount of evidence he has to support that claim.. I dont think that a person is being gullible or "burying their head in the sand" when they say that they believe him and support him.

These AP fools are being idiots. Its their award to give or take away, but all they are doing by having this re-vote is helping to propagate the RUMOR that he cheated, and further hurt his career, his good name, and the reputation of our team.

I suppose that I shouldnt be surprised that the AP didnt do their research and see that there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. Sensationalism sells after all.

But you fans need to make up your mind. Either you are a Texans fan or you arent. I cant see any good excuse for a Texans fan to be throwing Cushing under the bus at this juncture. All you are doing is helping the rest of the football world to degrade our team, and Brian Cushing.. who is a young kid who made a (possibly) minor mistake, that had big repercussions.

GuerillaBlack
05-11-2010, 12:53 AM
The AP will get a big slap in the face when Cushing wins the DROY again. That's what many are expecting to happen now.

b0ng
05-11-2010, 01:14 AM
The AP will get a big slap in the face when Cushing wins the DROY again. That's what many are expecting to happen now.

Has there been more stuff to come out? All I've read is Schefter saying Cushing has gotten some votes in the re-vote.

GuerillaBlack
05-11-2010, 01:19 AM
Has there been more stuff to come out? All I've read is Schefter saying Cushing has gotten some votes in the re-vote.

http://twitter.com/NYPost_NFL

beerlover
05-11-2010, 01:30 AM
whats really sad is that regardless of the re-countCushing will not be eligible for next season's Pro Bowl, an honor he received last season, or any other league-sponsored award because he'll be serving his suspension in 2010

CloakNNNdagger
05-11-2010, 06:06 AM
It's hard for me to get out of my mind that he and his stength coach were both alledgedly warned of the substance.........and ignored the warning.

Lucky
05-11-2010, 06:22 AM
But you fans need to make up your mind. Either you are a Texans fan or you arent.
You are not the judge of who is or isn't a fan nor do you determine the criteria for anyone but yourself. Keep your comments to Cushing, the Texans, and the NFL.

Grid
05-11-2010, 06:49 AM
You are not the judge of who is or isn't a fan nor do you determine the criteria for anyone but yourself. Keep your comments to Cushing, the Texans, and the NFL.

Still doing your internet tough guy routine?

Quit riding my ass Lucky. I get it..you dont like how I word things.

I could go into a lengthy explanation of fandom and how it is quantified, and who, if anyone has the authority to revoke a persons fan "membership card"...but you dont really care and it would inevitably lead to a flame war in which you would simple talk smack to me then delete any responses I made.

Out of curiosity though.. does keeping comments to Cushing, the Texans, and the NFL apply to everyone? Or just the people who you dont like? Cause im pretty sure if we looked through most of the posts on just the first page of the forum we would find alot of people with the audacity to make comments directed at other fans on the board. You gonna police everyone? or just me?

You wanna take this conversation to private? Or have it right here? Or you could just save us both the back and forth and ban me. Thats what you are looking to do anyway.

HoustonFrog
05-11-2010, 07:04 AM
I agree with Rome on this one:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5178479

Well said!!

I also don't get the outrage here...."he'll show them when he gets back." "I can't believe this....". the only one that has caused this is Brain Cushing. Whatever he took, it was banned and he didn't do his due diligence. He put himself, the team and others in the crosshairs. Does he deserve to lose the award...who knows, we will see. People are saying things because of a lie detector(which others have tried to use before and its not even proven reliable), etc but all in all he is out 4 games because of his own actions. I'm not sure why people wish ill will on others with this opinion since it is the facts. If you can't see the common sense in that, then you won't see how his actions put the team at risk and how it sits at one guys feet...Cushing.

Imatexanfan
05-11-2010, 07:45 AM
I dont really care what anyone says, there's no magic pill that will automatically get a player 130 tackles on a season and not to mention all there other stuff he did as far as numbers. I mean as a player you still have to go out there and out preform everyone on the field and he did just that even with all the injuries there's no way he should be stripped of any awards he earned, and you know what I'm gonna go ahead and call it right now even with him missing 4 regular season games he still goes on to have 100+ tackle season. :tiphat:

The Giants are gonna have 260 pounds of pissed off white boy to look forward to come week 5 you can bet that...:slapfight:

BigBull17
05-11-2010, 07:47 AM
I dont really care what anyone says, there's no magic pill that will automatically get a player 130 tackles on a season and not to mention all there other stuff he did as far as numbers. I mean as a player you still have to go out there and out preform everyone on the field and he did just that even with all the injuries there's no way he should be stripped of any awards he earned, and you know what I'm gonna go ahead and call it right now even with him missing 4 regular season games he still goes on to have 100+ tackle season. :tiphat:

The Giants are gonna have 260 pounds of pissed off white boy to look forward to come week 5 you can bet that...:slapfight:

Football is jsut as cerebral, if not more, than it is physical. Being big, strong and fast doesn't mean you are the best. You have to know what you're doing out there.

gtexan02
05-11-2010, 08:05 AM
But you fans need to make up your mind. Either you are a Texans fan or you arent.

These types of statements never get old. Oh wait. They do.

TimeKiller
05-11-2010, 08:06 AM
How is he eligible to play out the season, win the award AND THEN get suspended and have it taken away? Backwards. Don't get me wrong, check my sig if you're really wondering where I stand on the matter. I'm about playing fair, if Cushing wasn't playing fair then the 4 game suspension is well deserved. WAS well deserved, in fairness.

So they're gonna take it away and give it tooooo....Orakpo? Sure. Wink. Matthews? Because he wasn't right alongside every steroid allegation Cushing faced at USC. Tell you what, rookies? Line up. First one to piss a clean cup o' piss wins DROY. Oh and All Pro status will be pending clean piss tests. And Pro Bowl. Or player of the week/month. I'm all about fairness. Cush will pay his 4 games suspension, even if the timing is wildly out of control. You want to start making awards pending a piss test then do it across the board. Wouldn't it be a trip if Manning sucked a little juice down after his surgeries.....? Pffft like the league would ever let a Manning or a Brady or the like take a fall from grace.

Cush cannot sit in silence on this matter. Prepare a statement, press conference it. Tell us what it was, how it's not a steroid, why you feel you did the right things or if you did something wrong spill it. Make your argument or make your apology. Whatever you make Cush, my man, make it good.

BigBull17
05-11-2010, 08:19 AM
How is he eligible to play out the season, win the award AND THEN get suspended and have it taken away? Backwards. Don't get me wrong, check my sig if you're really wondering where I stand on the matter. I'm about playing fair, if Cushing wasn't playing fair then the 4 game suspension is well deserved. WAS well deserved, in fairness.

So they're gonna take it away and give it tooooo....Orakpo? Sure. Wink. Matthews? Because he wasn't right alongside every steroid allegation Cushing faced at USC. Tell you what, rookies? Line up. First one to piss a clean cup o' piss wins DROY. Oh and All Pro status will be pending clean piss tests. And Pro Bowl. Or player of the week/month. I'm all about fairness. Cush will pay his 4 games suspension, even if the timing is wildly out of control. You want to start making awards pending a piss test then do it across the board. Wouldn't it be a trip if Manning sucked a little juice down after his surgeries.....? Pffft like the league would ever let a Manning or a Brady or the like take a fall from grace.

Cush cannot sit in silence on this matter. Prepare a statement, press conference it. Tell us what it was, how it's not a steroid, why you feel you did the right things or if you did something wrong spill it. Make your argument or make your apology. Whatever you make Cush, my man, make it good.

Great point. I wonder if those guys have ever had to wiz a cup without a 2 month warning? Doubtful.

Grid
05-11-2010, 08:34 AM
These types of statements never get old. Oh wait. They do.

So do "fans" that only support the team in fair weather.

BTW, ya know what else gets old? People who cherry pick small bits out of a post so they can flame/deride/complain..and ignore the intent of the post.

People keep complaining about what im saying.. but none of you seem very interested in replying to the points im trying to make about Cushing.

BigTimeTexanFan
05-11-2010, 09:12 AM
My question is how did the AP voters comed to the conclusion of a re-vote? was it a majority, or just a few that wanted to create some news? They are going to look like morons if he wins it again.

Kimmy
05-11-2010, 09:13 AM
My question is how did the AP voters comed to the conclusion of a re-vote? was it a majority, or just a few that wanted to create some news? They are going to look like morons if he wins it again.

Problem is, votes aren't due till tomorrow. The news of hCG coming out today and WHY it is banned by sports could swing that re-vote ... big time.

GP
05-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Problem is, votes aren't due till tomorrow. The news of hCG coming out today and WHY it is banned by sports could swing that re-vote ... big time.

I see him winning the re-vote, but by a more narrow margin than before.

They're going to admit that it was unfortunate he failed a test for a banned substance, but that he didn't actually test positive for an actual s-t-e-r-o-i-d. And in the end, he dominated too much for it to all be the product of a PED. In short: Cushing's football skills and on-field i.q. > dumb decisions off-field.

GuerillaBlack
05-11-2010, 09:27 AM

Swing that re-vote? In who's favor?

GP
05-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Swing that re-vote? In who's favor?

Baird of the Bills.

Clay Mathews can forget about getting a sniff of any award now that Cushing has come under scrutiny. Clay and Brian are going to be linked whether it's fair or not.

I still say Cushing wins, but by less of a majority than what he originally obtained.

GuerillaBlack
05-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Baird of the Bills.

Clay Mathews can forget about getting a sniff of any award now that Cushing has come under scrutiny. Clay and Brian are going to be linked whether it's fair or not.

I still say Cushing wins, but by less of a majority than what he originally obtained.

I mean, he did get 39 out of the 50 votes last time. I think he'll get 26 out of 50 this time. ;)

eriadoc
05-11-2010, 09:57 AM

BTW, ya know what else gets old? People who cherry pick small bits out of a post so they can flame/deride/complain..and ignore the intent of the post.

People keep complaining about what im saying.. but none of you seem very interested in replying to the points im trying to make about Cushing.

I already replied to your points, so I'll ask you one question in response to this post:

When did I miss the fair weather?

b0ng
05-11-2010, 10:12 AM

Votes are due today at 11 am

The deadline for us to revote is Wednesday at 11 a.m. The ballot has been sent to us again. Cushing won the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Award, and he was voted second-team All-Pro.

JB
05-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Votes are due today at 11 am

But today's only Tuesday...:truck:

disaacks3
05-11-2010, 10:17 AM

RT @McClain_on_NFL: Cushing passed every random test since Sept. I voted Kevin Williams first team, so why wouldn't I vote for Cushing? THIS is what I agree with. Since Cushing is barred from getting any honors this year, last year's will have to suffice. Why have a re-vote?

From what I've gathered over this whole debacle is that after Merriman's DROY, the league changed the rules, thus "the Merriman Rule" about rescinding awards after being busted on rules violations (more specifically steroid and derivatives of steroids to include masking agents and including, but not limited to, ephedrine, etc.). That applies to THIS year, not last. And it has ZERO effect on the AP, who can vote on who they da** well please.

We all know if the player was from an east coast market this wouldn't be happening. If we're going to get into this crap, then let's start putting asterisks back by records. Careful....certain posters in this thread don't believe in any coastal biases. If they don't believe it, then it CAN'T be true.

It's hard for me to get out of my mind that he and his stength coach were both alledgedly warned of the substance.........and ignored the warning. That's where I have no sympathy for Cushing and/or the coach (if true). If you fail to heed a warning and then get caught on the same subject you were warned about, tough ****.

b0ng
05-11-2010, 10:17 AM
But today's only Tuesday...:truck:

You're right. My bad.

BTW, the lady that called for the re-vote is on WFAN right now talking about it. She's already said that other Senior AP Editors made her do it.

JB
05-11-2010, 10:19 AM
You're right. My bad.

BTW, the lady that called for the re-vote is on WFAN right now talking about it. She's already said that other Senior AP Editors made her do it.

That is so wrong. She is supposed to be in charge of it...:pissed:

BIG TORO
05-11-2010, 10:22 AM
You're right. My bad.

http://thm-a02.yimg.com/nimage/dbe1c10799099272

Tell that lady to leave Brian alone! huuuuuuhhhhh! That *****!

silvrhand
05-11-2010, 11:15 AM
I see him winning the re-vote, but by a more narrow margin than before.

They're going to admit that it was unfortunate he failed a test for a banned substance, but that he didn't actually test positive for an actual s-t-e-r-o-i-d. And in the end, he dominated too much for it to all be the product of a PED. In short: Cushing's football skills and on-field i.q. > dumb decisions off-field.

Doesn't matter that he was popped for a "s-t-e-r-o-i-d" there are plenty of substances that are banned, no matter what the substance was he still broke the rules. End of Story.

If this was a tennessee titan that had won we'd be standing up asking him to get expelled.

GP
05-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Doesn't matter that he was popped for a "s-t-e-r-o-i-d" there are plenty of substances that are banned, no matter what the substance was he still broke the rules. End of Story.

If this was a tennessee titan that had won we'd be standing up asking him to get expelled.

Oh, please do not get me wrong. If you read my posts on this whole matter...you will see that I am disappointed and not really all that trusting of anything that Cushing or his agents or media relations people will be feeding us.

I was just saying that I think the media will not skewer him as badly as people think at the moment. Lost of people think the fix is in, and the award is already gone due to this re-vote. I don't.

I think there is so much wild speculation right now, and foggy weather associated with Cushing right now, that the media will find it difficult to punish him for this RIGHT NOW.

I think the media has more information than we do, and I think they're in the process of (hopefully) making an informed decision and not a decision based on a "payback mentality" or something like that.

At the end of the day, I don't see them ganging up and making this a witch hunt and public torture event.

Texecutioner
05-11-2010, 11:25 AM

He hasn't made excuses for Cushing. He was just saying that he thinks that he'll still win the ROTY award. The test was taken at the very beginning of the season and Cush passed all of the other tests to our knowledge, so I think it can be assumed that he was clean for most of the season any way. Other players in the past weren't stripped of their awards either like Peppers or Merriman.

gtexan02
05-11-2010, 11:26 AM

What was the intent of the post? To say that if you aren't blindly in Cushings corner than you're not a fan of the Texans??

To call anyone on this messageboard a fair weather fan because of the Cushing situation is absolutely absurd.

I have been a member of this community for what, 5 years now? I was a fan before, during, and after the 2-14 season.

I like what eriadoc said. When was the fair weather? This team has been disappointing for its entire history. We've never made the playoffs. And yet our fanbase is still strong enough that a thread on cushing makes it to 20-30 pages in just days. Doesn't sound like fairweather fans to me.

We are passionate, and we may not always agree, but to question our "fan ness" is just stupid and immature.

Whats the point anyway? Should we have a minimum fan level or loyalty level to post here? Only people who support every player regardless of actions?

The Texans aren't my family. They aren't my friends. Those are the only two groups that get unconditional loyalty from me.

The Texans are a group of professional athletes united by a city, a logo, a jersey, and a team name. I will continue to follow them like a crazy person, cheer for them, commiserate with others when they fail, and I reserve the right to express my disappointment when one of the players jeopardizes the success of the rest of the team.

I dont care what Cushing took. If he took sudafed or anabolic steroids, the fact of the matter is that he jeopardized the team. He hasn't come out and said what he took, despite being given the opportunitity, so Im going to go ahead and be pissed at him.

He's going to miss 4 games, a 4th of the season, for something he voluntarily did. He'll get my support back when he proves to me this was a one time thing OR when we go 4-0 during those first 4 games.

Texecutioner
05-11-2010, 11:29 AM
What was the intent of the post? To say that if you aren't blindly in Cushings corner than you're not a fan of the Texans??

To call anyone on this messageboard a fair weather fan because of the Cushing situation is absolutely absurd.

I have been a member of this community for what, 5 years now? I was a fan before, during, and after the 2-14 season.

I like what eriadoc said. When was the fair weather? This team has been disappointing for its entire history. We've never made the playoffs. And yet our fanbase is still strong enough that a thread on cushing makes it to 20-30 pages in just days. Doesn't sound like fairweather fans to me.

We are passionate, and we may not always agree, but to question our "fan ness" is just stupid and immature.

Whats the point anyway? Should we have a minimum fan level or loyalty level to post here? Only people who support every player regardless of actions?

The Texans aren't my family. They aren't my friends. Those are the only two groups that get unconditional loyalty from me.

The Texans are a group of professional athletes united by a city, a logo, a jersey, and a team name. I will continue to follow them like a crazy person, cheer for them, commiserate with others when they fail, and I reserve the right to express my disappointment when one of the players jeopardizes the success of the rest of the team.

I dont care what Cushing took. If he took sudafed or anabolic steroids, the fact of the matter is that he jeopardized the team. He hasn't come out and said what he took, despite being given the opportunitity, so Im going to go ahead and be pissed at him.

He's going to miss 4 games, a 4th of the season, for something he voluntarily did. He'll get my support back when he proves to me this was a one time thing OR when we go 4-0 during those first 4 games.

Just repped you big time here Gtexan. One of your best posts ever. :)

GP
05-11-2010, 11:34 AM

EPIC POST!

Can't rep you, though, due to the whole spreadin'-around-of-the-rep and stuff.

Texecutioner
05-11-2010, 11:44 AM
These AP fools are being idiots. Its their award to give or take away, but all they are doing by having this re-vote is helping to propagate the RUMOR that he cheated, and further hurt his career, his good name, and the reputation of our team.

The AP folks aren't doing anything to Cushing's good name. They're simply trying to protect the integrity of the award. How you can't understand that is beyond my rationale thinking. I think they should leave it as is, but I can understand why they're doing this. They have to set some sport of precedent at some point with abusers of banned substances especially when they win awards that go down in the record books.

And it's not a rumor that anyone has created. He FAILED A TEST. It's a fact. They aren't hurting his career. Only Cushing can help or hurt his career from this point on from the decisions he makes. And the reputation of "our team" hasn't changed because of one guy who broke the rules. If it does change, well then that's on Cush and nobody else.

But you fans need to make up your mind. Either you are a Texans fan or you arent. I cant see any good excuse for a Texans fan to be throwing Cushing under the bus at this juncture.

You seem to have a hard time understanding what supporting a team is all about. It's not about blindly supporting every player no matter what he says or does just because of the logo he wears. I haven't seen one person in this entire forum throw Cushing under the bus once since this has happened. I have seen a few fans throw other fans under the bus though all over what Cushing did and that's pretty pathetic. If you want to get mad at someone and call them out, then get angry at the person that's got the Texans all over the news and is going to miss the first 4 games of the season, not the fans on this board who have supported this team emotionally and financially over the last 8 years. That's about as backwards as anything I've ever seen.

All you are doing is helping the rest of the football world to degrade our team, and Brian Cushing.. who is a young kid who made a (possibly) minor mistake, that had big repercussions.

There is no "possible" about it. WHen are you going to understand he failed a test which means that he broke the freaking rules. Again, blame the guy who made the poor choices, not the folks that aren't patting him on the back and rubbing his belly because he's getting reprimanded for breaking the rules. That's what happens in any organized sports league or society for that matter. There are consequences when you break the rules. I thought we all learned that in grade school. Apparently not.

CloakNNNdagger
05-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Must also spread the rep

bah007
05-11-2010, 12:10 PM
...At the end of the day, I don't see them ganging up and making this a witch hunt and public torture event.

(I don't mean to take this out of context from what was otherwise a fantastic post)

But isn't that exactly what the media is best at these days?

Texans_Chick
05-11-2010, 12:57 PM
My point of view is here:

Why the rushed DROY Brian Cushing revote shows grandstanding more important than facts (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/05/rushed_revote_on_brian_cushing.html)

I don't tweet much usually, but I've been tweeting up a story trying to find justification of why the revote was rushed. In asking a lot of questions, nobody has given me a good answer. @StephStradley (http://twitter.com/StephStradley)

I have reason to believe that not all AP members wanted the revote to happen immediately.

I'm not inclined to believe Cushing's story given what I know right now, but I would like to have more information. And I think it is very wrong to rush a award vote through so that voters who have voted for PED rule breakers in the past can feel better about themselves. Journalists are supposed to care about facts, and a rushed revote gives the appearance that they don't care. What's the rush?

infantrycak
05-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Journalists are supposed to care about facts, and a rushed revote gives the appearance that they don't care. What's the rush?

This has all the set-up for a moral outrage reversal and I find that incredibly hypocritical. They are justifying it with "we didn't know." Well so friggin' what? - when you did know you still voted them ROY.

CloakNNNdagger
05-11-2010, 01:08 PM
My point of view is here:

Why the rushed DROY Brian Cushing revote shows grandstanding more important than facts (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/05/rushed_revote_on_brian_cushing.html)

I don't tweet much usually, but I've been tweeting up a story trying to find justification of why the revote was rushed. In asking a lot of questions, nobody has given me a good answer. @StephStradley (http://twitter.com/StephStradley)

I have reason to believe that not all AP members wanted the revote to happen immediately.

I'm not inclined to believe Cushing's story given what I know right now, but I would like to have more information. And I think it is very wrong to rush a award vote through so that voters who have voted for PED rule breakers in the past can feel better about themselves. Journalists are supposed to care about facts, and a rushed revote gives the appearance that they don't care. What's the rush?

The alledged facts and subsequent events seem to be damning. Having read your piece, I also have to agree, there is no doubt that there has to be some underlying reason(s) for the push for such an accelerated re-vote.

Texans_Chick
05-11-2010, 01:10 PM
This has all the set-up for a moral outrage reversal and I find that incredibly hypocritical. They are justifying it with "we didn't know." Well so friggin' what? - when you did know you still voted them ROY.

Exactly.

And well, they still don't know. Barely any facts had come out at all about the PED violation before AP decided they needed a revote. Peter King saying he's voting for Matthews is hilarious. King acknowledges his past votes for PED users, but says he's changed. Then mentions the very very slim information from Schefter in his commentary.

It's a joke.

HJam72
05-11-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm going to laugh my butt off if Cushing gets more votes than he did the last time. :clown:

Texans_Chick
05-11-2010, 01:13 PM
The alledged facts and subsequent events seem to be damning. Having read your piece, I also have to agree, there is no doubt that there has to be some underlying reason(s) for the push for such an accelerated re-vote.

The reason is that some prominent members of the voting group pushed for it right away. There were other AP members who wanted a delay or a recinded vote.

There is ZERO reason for a rushed vote. Other than making the people calling for it feel better about voting THREE guys who violated the PED policy DROY.

CloakNNNdagger
05-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Steph/Cak

We've got to ask ourselves.........How many real journalists are left out there anymore? It doesn't seem to be only a Houston phenomenon.

infantrycak
05-11-2010, 01:21 PM
It's a joke.

Yes it is. Different governing bodies and all but Reggie Bush has been in the league 4 years and just paid off the guy that paid him but they still haven't made any determination on his college eligibility and yet for some reason this needs to be rammed through.

I do disagree with your blog's conclusion it is crystal clear he was using steroids. I don't think anything is clear at this point and that's partly why they shouldn't rush a re-vote. I can't figure a good explanation for if he was taking roids why he wouldn't hide anything associated with the regime and according to the rumors both the team and NFL knew. That just doesn't compute to me.

Ole Miss Texan
05-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I do disagree with your blog's conclusion it is crystal clear he was using steroids. I don't think anything is clear at this point and that's partly why they shouldn't rush a re-vote. I can't figure a good explanation for if he was taking roids why he wouldn't hide anything associated with the regime and according to the rumors both the team and NFL knew. That just doesn't compute to me.

Good write up TC, as usual. I agree with a lot you said, particularly about the rushed re-vote. If they want to have a re-vote, I don't have an overly huge issue with it... but at least let this thing play out and get an idea if it's actually necessary. NO need to rush it!

I think with the report of the hCG and its ties to being used after a cycle are good points and absolutely raise suspicion. But it doesn't prove it. Sure looks bad but like you said about the re-vote... let's wait until all the facts are out before saying Cushing 100% took steroids!

Ole Miss Texan
05-11-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm hoping this turns out to be a case of:

Looks like a toad, hops like a toad, croaks like toad.... but it's really a frog.

CloakNNNdagger
05-11-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm hoping this turns out to be a case of:

Looks like a toad, hops like a toad, croaks like toad.... but it's really a frog.

You calling out HoustonFrog??:chef:

LonerATO
05-11-2010, 02:27 PM
The reason is that some prominent members of the voting group pushed for it right away. There were other AP members who wanted a delay or a recinded vote.

There is ZERO reason for a rushed vote. Other than making the people calling for it feel better about voting THREE guys who violated the PED policy DROY.

Peter King seems to be one of them

Grid
05-11-2010, 02:48 PM
insert gtexan02's post here

Ya know.. there are some really sensitive people on these forums.

How many times have I pointed out that I too am disappointed and angry at what Cushing allowed to happen and that I agree that that is an entirely understandable reaction to the situation?

How many times have I said that my ire is specifically targeted at people who jump to conclusions and throw Cushing under the bus...claiming he is a cheater and a hack?

Ya know.. if you are an angry fan that is just sitting here...being mad...waiting for more information so you can see just how bad a situation Cushing is in. HEY! me too! Im not standing here waving a steel blue flag with my eyes closed and my ears plugged, yelling "nothing is wrong!" at the top of my lungs.

But it is my honest opinion that people who, at the first sign of trouble, would throw one of our players under the bus, disown him, call him a cheater, and wish "ill" upon him... these people are not Texans fans. Or, probably more likely, they are real Texans fans..but I sure as hell wish they werent.

There simply isnt enough damning evidence to support the "opinions" of these people who think that he is a cheater, and that last season was the product of roids. So if there isnt enough evidence to support it.. what can we conclude about these people? My conclusion is that they are either unintelligent, and/or lacking in loyalty to the team, and I think my conclusions are right :D

Overall you make good points in your post.. but a few specific things:

Fair weather is a matter of perspective. When was the fair weather? The fair weather was a couple days ago when nothing was wrong with Brian Cushing and we were just looking forward to next season. Now, we have a dark cloud and some people cant handle it.

Ya know..im sick of that word. "Passionate". Passion is used to explain all manner of idiotic behavior.

When you are behaving like a fool..and not a fan.. and you are jumping to wild conclusions and saying the the sky is falling.. that isnt "being passionate".. thats being a douche.

Im not saying that you are a douche :D.. but im sick of the word passionate being used as an excuse for poor behavior.

When the "fans" boo Cushing in game 5.. Its going to be because they are overly judgemental, immature, disloyal, unintelligent, and drunk...not because they are "passionate".

No loyalty requirements to post, but if you are being a ****ty fan and/or a tool.. i feel that someone should point it out to you. Especially if you have a bunch of tool friends cheering you on.

I dont think anyone expects unconditional loyalty. But is it too much to ask that people TRY to remain loyal? Do we have to disown the team/players every time there is a problem.. Or every time we dont draft who you wanted... or every time we make a decision on the field that you dont completely agree with.

I mean.. isnt being a Texans fan supposed to mean that you support the Texans MORE than the average person? Or does being a Texans fan just mean that you live in Houston so you see more of their games than other Americans?

Cause it seems to me that alot of people who say they are Texans fans...they dont really care about the team more than any other team in the NFL.. they just feel compelled to follow us because we are the team in Houston.

So..yeah.. good post, even though it was directed at me. I understand where you are coming from but feel like alot of people who I dont necessarily disagree with, think that I am attacking them when im not.

Grid
05-11-2010, 02:53 PM
blah blah blah

Ive already responded to posts like yours over the last couple of days. Im not going to bother doing it again.

But I didnt want you to go through all the trouble of replying to me and not give you some kind of response.. so here ya go.

:bunpan:

GuerillaBlack
05-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Ya know.. there are some really sensitive people on these forums.

I agree with your post, but didn't you give out negative rep to people who disagreed with you?

Grid
05-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I agree with your post, but didn't you give out negative rep to people who disagreed with you?

Hmm.. I gave out negative rep to two people yesterday who made posts I disagreed with.

Also gave out positive rep to a few people who i did agree with.

*shrug* thats what its there for. Ive gotten plenty of negative rep from people who have disagreed with me as well.

TexansBlood
05-11-2010, 03:23 PM
So he gets tested in Sept and fails but from October till the season was over he passed the tests?? And they want a Re-Vote?? Pure Bullsh*t! So are they gonna go back to 2002 and strip Julius Pepper for testing positive at the end of the season???

I know for a fact Cushing will come out destroying every opposing enemy in sight when he comes back from the suspension!

El Tejano
05-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Let's just say that there were plenty of journalist that didn't want him to get it to begin with but Cushing's play was just to profound. If they can admit that, I'll be happy.

b0ng
05-11-2010, 03:32 PM
I know for a fact Cushing will come out destroying every opposing enemy in sight when he comes back from the suspension!

This is a good point that is being glossed over. Whether Cushing wins or loses this stupid award that the AP gave to him, he should be (rightfully) pissed off about it and he should be taking that aggression and anger (because lets face it, I'm sure he's an angry guy) out on our opponents. So the AP, with their hypocrisy, and the need to have the story be about them, are actually helping Cushing out with some extra motivation to be even better next year.

I mean really, how many of you would be surprised if he came back and did not play with a gigantic chip on his shoulder, "lighting fools up on Sundays"? I would be pretty shocked, going by how he has portrayed himself on the field last year. I mean are there a contingent of people here who think that Cushing's attitude and demeanor, as well as his gameplay, was a product of steroids? I would not be surprised to see him look a little bit slower or having less pop on his hits, but I don't see him playing like a wimp next year. Especially if he starts the season on suspension with his previous season being yanked from under him.

Texecutioner
05-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Ive already responded to posts like yours over the last couple of days. Im not going to bother doing it again.

But I didnt want you to go through all the trouble of replying to me and not give you some kind of response.. so here ya go.

:bunpan:

If it bothers you when people quote your posts and address false comments of yours, then be a little more careful as to what you say in the future. That's the only advice that I can give you.

TexansBlood
05-11-2010, 03:47 PM
This is a good point that is being glossed over. Whether Cushing wins or loses this stupid award that the AP gave to him, he should be (rightfully) pissed off about it and he should be taking that aggression and anger (because lets face it, I'm sure he's an angry guy) out on our opponents. So the AP, with their hypocrisy, and the need to have the story be about them, are actually helping Cushing out with some extra motivation to be even better next year.

I mean really, how many of you would be surprised if he came back and did not play with a gigantic chip on his shoulder, "lighting fools up on Sundays"? I would be pretty shocked, going by how he has portrayed himself on the field last year. I mean are there a contingent of people here who think that Cushing's attitude and demeanor, as well as his gameplay, was a product of steroids? I would not be surprised to see him look a little bit slower or having less pop on his hits, but I don't see him playing like a wimp next year. Especially if he starts the season on suspension with his previous season being yanked from under him.

Co-signed.

Ole Miss Texan
05-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Yup and Eli Manning is pissed Game 5 is against them!

http://psa.blastmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/hands-up-eli-manning.jpg

Texans_Chick
05-11-2010, 04:25 PM

I don't believe it is crystal clear but I think it is more likely than not he did. I made a point of saying am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV. But with what I know right now, I am inclined to believe that he violated the PED rules for reasons relating to PED use.

I think if he had a no brainer reason for his PED violation, he would have either 1. won his appeal; 2. we'd already know all the details.

There might be a possibility that there is some innocuous reason why he had one bad test, but I'm not thinking that will happen.

gtexan02
05-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I don't believe it is crystal clear but I think it is more likely than not he did. I made a point of saying am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV. But with what I know right now, I am inclined to believe that he violated the PED rules for reasons relating to PED use.

I think if he had a no brainer reason for his PED violation, he would have either 1. won his appeal; 2. we'd already know all the details.

There might be a possibility that there is some innocuous reason why he had one bad test, but I'm not thinking that will happen.

I think I can get on board with this line of reasoning.

Although its totally speculation.

If the positive was due to residual seminal fluid, I could see him not coming forward because it was embarassing for him. Although CnD had basically said this was not a real possibility.

If the positive was due to weight loss or weight management, I feel like he would have already come out with it publically or made a statement. I can't see any reason to keep quiet about it if that was the case.

Maybe he was taking it for a reason we don't understand, and it was embarassing for him. Thats the only way I could see this being a misunderstanding.

SheTexan
05-11-2010, 05:43 PM
OK, I'm gonna step out on a limb and ask a question that has been buzzing around in my head all day. I hesitated to ask earlier cause you guys can be brutal to dumb questions, BUT, what the hell, here goes. Is there anyway Cush's intense HBO regime could have anything to do with this outcome? I've done a little googling, but, not much there. Oxygen is essential for cell metabolism, and tisse oxygenation is essential for all normal physiological functions. IF he pushed it to hard, along with his intense workouts and diet, seems this could have been a factor in screwing up his metabolism. Doesn't seem logical to me, but, you never know.

Spled
05-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Look at the stupidity of Peter King. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/05/11/cushing.mail/ He voted for Shawne Merriman all-pro in 2006 and now he's voting for Clay Matthews in the revote. Like Matthews is so much cleaner than Cush. http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/55/555121.jpg

JB
05-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Look at the stupidity of Peter King. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/05/11/cushing.mail/ He voted for Shawne Merriman all-pro in 2006 and now he's voting for Clay Matthews in the revote. Like Matthews is so much cleaner than Cush. http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/55/555121.jpg

Peter King has to look up to see Dickie Justice's craphole...

CloakNNNdagger
05-11-2010, 06:11 PM
OK, I'm gonna step out on a limb and ask a question that has been buzzing around in my head all day. I hesitated to ask earlier cause you guys can be brutal to dumb questions, BUT, what the hell, here goes. Is there anyway Cush's intense HBO regime could have anything to do with this outcome? I've done a little googling, but, not much there. Oxygen is essential for cell metabolism, and tisse oxygenation is essential for all normal physiological functions. IF he pushed it to hard, along with his intense workouts and diet, seems this could have been a factor in screwing up his metabolism. Doesn't seem logical to me, but, you never know.

Not a dumb question, Gma. We would all love to find a benign plausible explanation, but the answer does not lie in any combination of the factors you ran through.:(

The Pencil Neck
05-11-2010, 06:22 PM

I don't think so. There are a lot of other guys in the league that train just as hard.

No, the explanation that makes the most sense to me was that he was doing an off-season cycle and he ended it a little too late and his numbers hadn't quite returned to normal before they tested him. He probably wasn't expecting to be tested until the season was in swing.

Now, I think this off-season cycling is probably a common practice in the NFL with the way the drug testing is set up (if my understanding of that is right.)

The second most likely explanation is he used one of these new "faddish" weight loss supplements that have hCG and didn't realize it had hCG until too late. And from what's being said, that could be on Ray Wright.

But I think the first explanation is much more likely.

gary
05-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Hummmmmmm. He tested postive just once and then tested over a bunch. Also, I head this is sometimes made in the body.
http://www.khou.com/sports/Source-Cushing-tested-positive-for-fertility-drug-HCG-93454189.html

texanfan2002114
05-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Well besides John McClain coming out already saying he voted for Cushing, Pete Prisco has said that his vote won't change and he is 100% right on in his article!!

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6315047/21691981?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

"My vote isn't changing.

The Associated Press, which conducts the voting for the NFL's yearly awards, has decided to have a re-vote for the Defensive Rookie of the Year Award, based on the news that winner Brian Cushing tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug last September.

As one of the 50 voters, I voted for Cushing last December and that vote stays. If Cushing did indeed fail the test, it means he was tested the rest of the season by the league, which means he was clean.

He played clean.

So he wins the award.

Maybe he played a game or two with the substance, but what was the substance? Nobody knows for sure. Why did his appeal play out so long?

Aren't we racing to accuse this kid? If you have to take away awards given to players in the NFL who have taken some sort of illegal substance, we'd have to take away a lot more than just this award.

Should Brett Favre lose some of his gaudy numbers and his consecutive-game streak for using Vicodin to play? Should Shawne Merriman give back his Defensive Rookie of the Year Award from 2005 because he he tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug the next season?

This is a rush to judgment. Let it play out. Let the league decide his fate. And even then, I'm not changing my vote.

This is a bad precedent for AP. A vote is a vote.

What's next? Taking away the New Orleans Saints' Super Bowl victory if it's proved that coach Sean Payton did indeed use Vicodin illegally, which is being alleged?

Brian Cushing got my vote last December and he still has it."

texanfan2002114
05-11-2010, 11:50 PM
Ok, I just went threw the 50 voters that have a vote for the DROY. 16 of them have posted their votes on the internet and its going to be close IF Cushing wins again.

The problem I see is that you would figure that the votes would go to Byrd but they aren't. They are going to Matthews. Here is a list of the 16 people who I found that listed their votes.

Don Banks - Cush
Mark Craig - Cush
Tom Curran - Cush
Vinny Ditrani - Cush
John McClain - Cush
Pete Prisco - Cush

Rich Cimini - Matthews - was a Cush vote
Bob Glauber - Matthews - was a Cush vote
Dave Goldberg - Matthews - was a Cush Vote
Tony Grossi - Matthews
Peter king - Matthews - was a Cush Vote
Tom Silverstein - Matthews

Brian Allee-Walsh - Byrd
Mark Gaughan - Byrd - was a Cush Vote
Armando Salguero - Byrd

Adam Schein - Orakpo

Allstar
05-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Does Adam Schefter have a vote? he's pro-Cushing.

JB
05-12-2010, 08:09 AM
A complete list off all voters is here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/11729/whos-re-voting-on-rookie-of-the-year

texanfan2002114
05-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Does Adam Schefter have a vote? he's pro-Cushing.

No he does not