PDA

View Full Version : Eric Winston has Cushing's back

JayCee
05-08-2010, 07:39 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/08/eric-winston-sounds-off-on-the-cushing-glazer-situation/

Texans linebacker Brian Cushing has been suspended four games for violating the league's position regarding anabolic steroids and related substances. And FOX's Jay Glazer, who has provided Cushing with MMA training during the offseason, has been critical of Cushing for his violation.

"I don't care if it was steroidal or not, it's on the player!" Glazer said on Twitter, adding that he and his MMAthletics partner Randy Couture are "extremely pissed" at "just being associated [with] any of this crap."

Glazer's harsh words haven't gone unnoticed by one of Cushing's teammates. Tackle Eric Winston had this to say on Twitter earlier today: "Wow! With friends like Jay Glazer who needs enemies! He used Cush to pump up his service and then when Cush hits a bump in the road, he wants nothing to do with him. Sad to see just another guy out there for personal gain and could care less about the people he works with."

I'm walking a fine line here because on one hand Glazer is one of my friends and, on the other hand, Winston is a member of PFT Planet. (Besides, I've already filled my weekly quota of NFL players who want to kick my ass.) Winston needs to realize that Cushing isn't going through a bad breakup or a family illness. Cushing brought this problem on himself.

And though Glazer hasn't commented on this specific aspect of the situation to us (publicly or privately), we suspect that he and Couture grilled Cushing about rumors of performance-enhanced substances use before agreeing to accept him as a client -- and that Cushing assured them that he's clean. (Again, this is all supposition on our part.) Regardless of whether they asked him that question, Cushing knew that he had tested positive when they accepted him as a client, and he presumably didn't tell them about the situation.

Besides, if Glazer hadn't come out strongly against Cushing, Glazer would have faced criticism from those who would have argued that he was giving Cushing a pass because Cushing was one of his MMA pupils.

Bottom line? Even if half of the league (or more) are using performance-enhancing devices, those who get caught need to be suspended by the league and condemned by their peers and by the media. Otherwise, the problem never will be solved.

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 07:43 PM
I'd pay good money for a Winston/Cushing verses Glazer/Couture tag-team cage match.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Glazer and Couture can go **** themselves.

Winston is exactly right. They are self-serving ****holes and this demonstrates that to be true. The idea that they only agreed to train him after grilling him on his substance use habits is ****ing ridiculous. And worse, now they are making a huge self-righteous stink about it as if this has ruined the honor of their sacred school. It's a ****ing training gym, idiots. They are a dime a dozen. Stop acting like it's some incredible priviledge to train there. Idiots.

JB
05-08-2010, 07:54 PM

Winston is exactly right. They are self-serving ****holes and this demonstrates that to be true. The idea that they only agreed to train him after grilling him on his substance use habits is ****ing ridiculous. And worse, now they are making a huge self-righteous stink about it as if this has ruined the honor of their sacred school. It's a ****ing training gym, idiots. They are a dime a dozen. Stop acting like it's some incredible priviledge to train there. Idiots.

Wow! I think I can just about agree with you! I am shocked!

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Wow! I think I can just about agree with you! I am shocked!

I know, weird right?

JB
05-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I know, weird right?

I'm geting befuzzled!

bah007
05-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Well at least Winston has his back. Judging by the state of the board, at least half of our members don't.

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm geting befuzzled!

Bill Worrell: "........... just bamboozled".

Well at least Winston has his back. Judging by the state of the board, at least half of our members don't.

The glass half full is that half of our member do have Cushing's back. :shades:

bah007
05-08-2010, 08:43 PM

It's just a sad commentary on the way our fan base has been ever since we got the Texans. At the first sign of trouble, half of them want out.

rmartin65
05-08-2010, 08:45 PM
It's just a sad commentary on the way our fan base has been ever since we got the Texans. At the first sign of trouble, half of them want out.

Want out? Really? People are upset that a player got caught cheating. They pay money to watch and support the team. They have every right to be upset.

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 08:46 PM

So I got no loyalty now? I've never blasted the Texans.

JB
05-08-2010, 08:49 PM

That's just the pipe dream fans man. Most fans ( and most so not post here, or anywhere) are excited about the Texans and realxze the travails a NFL team goes through...

And then again, I could be living the pipe dream

Rey
05-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Want out? Really? People are upset that a player got caught cheating. They pay money to watch and support the team. They have every right to be upset.

This.

At what point does Cushing get blamed? Regardless of if it was roids or not, Cushing brought this on himself be not being careful about what he was putting in his body...

Thorn
05-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Cushing rocks.

Rey
05-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Cushing rocks.

This.

Cushing is still a Texan at this point and much like a family member having problems he still has my support.

Thorn
05-08-2010, 08:57 PM
This.

Cushing is still a Texan at this point and much like a family member having problems he still has my support.

All this shit will be over with after a while. Those that hate Cushing (drugs) and those that support him will be on the same team after a while.

It's all bullshit. Once the season starts we are all on the same team.

**** Manning, **** Shithead, and who cares about Jacksonville anyway.

We rock.

bah007
05-08-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm upset with Cushing. He messed up. But I'm not gonna pass judgement on the guy until the facts come out. We have some people on here bringing up threads from over a year ago talking about how we shouldn't have drafted him.

Be upset. Really. It's Cushing's fault, not ours. But I still have his back.

I didn't call anybody out. But at the same time, anybody who was offended by my comment is probably in the group I'm talking about.

JB
05-08-2010, 09:04 PM
This.

At what point does Cushing get blamed? Regardless of if it was roids or not, Cushing brought this on himself be not being careful about what he was putting in his body...

This.

Have a good seat on that fence?

Wolf
05-08-2010, 09:06 PM
The Texans have street cred now!!!!

:doot: :splits:

Thorn
05-08-2010, 09:09 PM

At least we are gettng a byline on NFLN now. LOL

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 09:10 PM

:spit: Right on!! We're not exactly the Bengals, but our "set" should be recognized now... :pirate:

False Start
05-08-2010, 09:16 PM

Damn Straight! Well Fl****** said! :jam: :cool:

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/previe16.jpg

You're my boy Cush!

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Damn Straight! Well Fl****** said! :jam: :cool:

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/previe16.jpg

You're my boy Cush!

Blue died.... :foottap:

gary
05-08-2010, 09:24 PM
I agree with Eric, and never said I did not have his back but I hope he does say so if there has been any wrong doing on his part whatsoever.

False Start
05-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Blue died.... :foottap:

Yeah, I know........ its just a saying my friends and I use all the time. For instance they'll be drunk, and will say "You're my boy James!"

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I know........ its just a saying my friends and I use all the time. For instance they'll be drunk, and will say "You're my boy James!"

Does this happen often between you and your boiz?? :eek:

Not that there's anything wrong with that..... LOL

False Start
05-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Does this happen often between you and your boiz?? :eek:

Not that there's anything wrong with that..... LOL

Actually no, because I drink about once in a Blue Moon.lol.

Wolf
05-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Actually no, because I drink about once in a Blue Moon.lol.

:thinking:

http://bicoastalbitchin.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/blue-moon-pale-ale.jpg

:joker:

JB
05-08-2010, 10:26 PM
:thinking:

http://bicoastalbitchin.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/blue-moon-pale-ale.jpg

:joker:

Hey! That's good stuff Maynard! Although there are some that say it's a girlie's beer.

awtysst
05-08-2010, 10:36 PM

Havent seen anyone say they want out, but then again I have not read every single post on here.

That said, we are PATRONS of the Texans. We spend our hard earned $ so these guys have the PRIVILAGE of playing a game for a living. As patrons of this team we EXPECT the team to go out and win games and we EXPECT the players to conduct themselves so that they will be on the field for us EVERY single game. Our responses are that of a frustrated fan base becuase we have had a team in the NFL for 7 season. In those 7 seasons the team has made it to the playoffs exactly the same amount of times awtysst has ran a 4.2 40.

This looked to be the year the team would finally step it up and make it to the playoffs and now our star OLB is gone for 1/4 of the season. You think we have a right to get ticked off? You think we have a right to get upset?

FYI since the Texans came into the league only 2 teams have not made the playoffs: The Detroit Lions and The Houston Texans.

Yeah.

JB
05-08-2010, 10:42 PM

Havent seen anyone say they want out, but then again I have not read every single post on here.

That said, we are PATRONS of the Texans. We spend our hard earned $ so these guys have the PRIVILAGE of playing a game for a living. As patrons of this team we EXPECT the team to go out and win games and we EXPECT the players to conduct themselves so that they will be on the field for us EVERY single game. Our responses are that of a frustrated fan base becuase we have had a team in the NFL for 7 season. In those 7 seasons the team has made it to the playoffs exactly the same amount of times awtysst has ran a 4.2 40.

This looked to be the year the team would finally step it up and make it to the playoffs and now our star OLB is gone for 1/4 of the season. You think we have a right to get ticked off? You think we have a right to get upset? FYI since the Texans came into the league only 2 teams have not made the playoffs: The Detroit Lions and The Houston Texans.

Yeah.

Absolutley every right to get ticked off! Certainly expect you to get ticked off!

But do not go accusing the young man of cheating and steroid use before we know what happened. You know it will come out.

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Hey! That's good stuff Maynard! Although there are some that say it's a girlie's beer.

:secret: It is kinda a girlie beer. Just sayin bro.. :peek:

TexansFanatic
05-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Winston is the man. Good to see the Texans acting like a team even in the offseason.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 11:06 PM
I ordered one of those once cause it was on tap and I was so ****ing embarassed when the female bartender had to reach into the little plastic bin to get a ****ing orange slice to put in my beer. I was humiliated into silence.

Esoom
05-09-2010, 02:27 AM
I hope Brian Cushing beats Randy "The Ancient" Couture and Jay Glazer's collective asses.

Malloy
05-09-2010, 02:47 AM
I ordered one of those once cause it was on tap and I was so ****ing embarassed when the female bartender had to reach into the little plastic bin to get a ****ing orange slice to put in my beer. I was humiliated into silence.

Order it without the fruit, that's what I do when I'm in the mood for weiss :)

GlassHalfFull
05-09-2010, 03:50 AM

You rang??

Sad, but I got his back.

WolverineFan
05-09-2010, 10:29 AM
This.

And when is steroids ever going to be taken serious by the NFL and young men?? Cushing was a college Safety who majorly buffed up and moved to LB and became an All-American. He then tests great, gets drafted high, and wins DROY. He then fails a drug test and gets a slap on the wrist. He gets to keep his money (#15 overall so it's quite a sum) and his ROY. All he has to do is re-earn his reputation now, although if I'm as rich as him now I don't really care what other people think of me. Just those close to me.

What kid in his right mind is not going to do the same thing until the rules change. Juice, get bigger, and get better. You get drafted high, make that money, and you're good to go. You've accomplished the dream. The list is long of guys who have done the same and I see no trend of it stopping until the NFL steps up it's drug policy.

You can make a lot of money playing in the NFL and until they get serious about their policies this kind of thing will continue to happen. Four games for a 2nd failed test? Seriously? They need to get real about this because it's a big issue.

If I were Cushing I would have done the same thing. If I don't take steroids, I probably don't have much of a career. If I do take them I get drafted in the 1st round, win DROY, and I could care less what people on a message board think because I'm a millionaire right now. There is really no incentive to not take them at this point.

Mailman
05-09-2010, 10:57 AM
PEDs may provide a competitive benefit but dismissing Cushing's excellent performance as a college and pro player as solely a consequence of steroid use is debatable and possibly very wrong. We simply cannot know how much of his play is about his effort, drive, and dedication to his sport and how much is about the supposed advantage the substance provided him. Unfortunately, the ugly reality for Cushing is that no matter what he proves on the field or how many pee tests he passes, he will always play under a cloud of suspicion as player who once tested positive for violating the league's steroid policy.

Mailman
05-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Four games for a 2nd failed test? Seriously? They need to get real about this because it's a big issue.

The four game suspension is for a first failed test. A subsequent failure results in a year suspension and a third is a lifetime ban.

WolverineFan
05-09-2010, 11:01 AM
The four game suspension is for a first failed test. A subsequent failure results in a year suspension and a third is a lifetime ban.

He failed a test at the combine. This is his second although it's officially his first as an NFL player. I think the combine should count to be honest but it does not since they are technically not NFL players yet.

Wolf
05-09-2010, 11:04 AM
He failed a test at the combine. This is his second although it's officially his first as an NFL player. I think the combine should count to be honest but it does not since they are technically not NFL players yet.

that was rumors and NFL doctors said him and clay Mathews didn't fail it

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-combinedrugs040309

like someone said.. if the rumors were true and the way the Texans draft players, they wouldn't have drafted him
IMO

Mailman
05-09-2010, 11:23 AM
he failed a test at the combine. This is his second although it's officially his first as an nfl player..

wrong

BigBull17
05-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Im just upset that Cushing put us in SUCH a rough spot. Im more disappointed than angry, truth be told.

Seņor Stan
05-09-2010, 05:42 PM

Man, that's all it took to humiliate you into silence...an orange slice? Posters in the No Spin Zone have been going about it all wrong.

Texecutioner
05-09-2010, 06:16 PM

Why? Because they think that taking banned substances is a serious issue? Great justification for bashing them. :cool:

It's one of the top and most respected Mixed Martial Arts gyms in the country. It is a priviledge to train there. One of their top high profile students just got caught taking banned substances. What do you expect them to say? That's it's not a big deal or that it can't be true? Wake up to reality. Taking banned substances is frowned upon by legit athletes that play by the rules as it should be. If you're caught, then you deal with the criticisms and the consequences for breaking the rules. As far as I've seen Glazer hasn't commented that much into this until he talks fully to Cush himself and has been very fair to the guy up until this point. If he criticizes him pretty bad at any point, he'll probably be justified for doing that and I'm sure that even Cush will agree to that. Any negativity that comes from this is Cush's fault for taking illegal substances. It's amazing how some people in here think this is okay because this guy is a Texan.

GuerillaBlack
05-09-2010, 06:46 PM
But they threw him completely under the bus. Instead of being an ass on Twitter (like Glazer was), you should probably try to help Cushing.

barrett
05-09-2010, 06:54 PM
As much as this pains some of you, perhaps you should wait until more information is made available before you form your (knee jerk) version of the truth.

no. I'm not saying that he didn't do anything wrong.

ChampionTexan
05-09-2010, 07:00 PM

From the NFL Steroids Policy (Pages 8/9): LINK (http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/images/oldImages/fck/2009%20Steroid%20Policy.pdf)

Step One: The first time a player violates this Policy by testing positive; attempting to substitute, dilute or adulterate a specimen; manipulating a test result; or by violation of law (see Section 5), he will be suspended without pay for a minimum of four regular and/or postseason games.

Step Two: The second time a player violates this Policy by testing positive; attempting to substitute, dilute or adulterate a specimen; manipulating a test result; or by violation of law (see Section 5), he will be suspended without pay for a minimum of eight regular and/or postseason games.

Step Three: The third time a player violates the Policy by testing positive; attempting to substitute, dilute or adulterate a specimen; manipulating a test result; or by violation of law (see Section 5), he will be suspended without pay for a period of at least 12 months, subject to any appeal

There is no step four.

So basically, while there's a little discretion, you're absolutely suspended on the first time, and the lifetime suspension isn't mentioned in so many words, but is a possibility with the third time (essentially, after the third time, you belong to the commissioner for the rest of your life).

Additionally, "Pre-employment" tests may be administered (including at the combine), so the fact he wasn't drafted or signed to an NFL contract wouldn't have gotten Cushing off the hook for failing a test at the combine.

SheTexan
05-09-2010, 08:42 PM
All this shit will be over with after a while. Those that hate Cushing (drugs) and those that support him will be on the same team after a while.

It's all bullshit. Once the season starts we are all on the same team.

**** Manning, **** Shithead, and who cares about Jacksonville anyway.

We rock.

This!! We will survive!!

:fans:

IlliniJen
05-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Who the F is Jay Glazer? I follow MMA pretty closely, and I've never heard of the guy.

The Pencil Neck
05-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Who the F is Jay Glazer? I follow MMA pretty closely, and I've never heard of the guy.

He's basically just a reporter who went in with Couture on his MMAthletics gym in Las Vegas.

His first tweets were really negative. He even had a tweet (iirc) where he said that Cush had told them that this was nothing and that his appeal was definitely going to get it lifted from his record. His later tweets lightened up quite a bit, saying that they loved Cush and thought he was a great kid but they can't allow someone with that sort of "stain" on their reputation to train with them.

From his initial tweets, it really sounds like Cush is telling the truth. He appealed and honestly expected it to get overturned.

TimeKiller
05-10-2010, 10:08 AM
So if it's not a steroid but still on the banned list.....

....it's still Cushing's fault.

El Tejano
05-10-2010, 10:52 AM

Yes it is but the fact that there are reports that he appealed the laboratory finding and not the suspension says alot too.

GP
05-10-2010, 10:57 AM

He's Joe Rogan without the humor skills or raspy voice.

I wouldn't care too much about Glazer. He's a guy who reports on MMA and I don't care too much for the bulk of his commentary.

So it sounds like Glazer has banned Cushing from training with them? Sounds plausible since you wouldn't want a "stained" individual to keep showing up to your place of business. It makes business sense.

I'm sure Cushing has to understand the fallout and what it means. And maybe that's GOOD that he sees the ramifications that occur with this sort of deal.

Texecutioner
05-10-2010, 11:01 AM
He's Joe Rogan without the humor skills or raspy voice.

I wouldn't care too much about Glazer. He's a guy who reports on MMA and I don't care too much for the bulk of his commentary.

So it sounds like Glazer has banned Cushing from training with them? Sounds plausible since you wouldn't want a "stained" individual to keep showing up to your place of business. It makes business sense.

I'm sure Cushing has to understand the fallout and what it means. And maybe that's GOOD that he sees the ramifications that occur with this sort of deal.

Exactly GP. Great post.

GP
05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Exactly GP. Great post.

Thanks, man. I appreciate the rep points too.

My hope is that Cushing has been stone-cold sober and off any questionable stuff since the failed test. That's going to be the best-case scenario here.

The Pencil Neck
05-10-2010, 11:12 AM

Yep, definitely.

Now (according to a tweet from LZ) it sounds like Cush tested positive in September and the suspension was hanging over his head all season. He finally got to appeal in February.

So, odds are, he played the whole season "clean". He was probably tested a few times during the season.

Texecutioner
05-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks, man. I appreciate the rep points too.

My hope is that Cushing has been stone-cold sober and off any questionable stuff since the failed test. That's going to be the best-case scenario here.

Same with me, and I think that he'll be that way from here on out. I don't see how he would have any other choice at this point unless he's ready for more embarrassment and another hefty suspension that would really hurt his career which would make him about as stupid as Josh Barnett. Hopefully he's not one of these guys that gets addicted to taking substances and stuff like that though. I highly doubt that would be the case though. I think he'll come back with a rage next season though and ready to kill in week 5. I think he'll still be one hell of a player.

Texan_Bill
05-10-2010, 11:17 AM

He was also involved with Pride as a studio host.

http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/wp-content/gallery/2009-12-15-jay-glazer/01-jay-glazer.jpg

HuttoKarl
05-10-2010, 02:14 PM
He was also involved with Pride as a studio host.

http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/wp-content/gallery/2009-12-15-jay-glazer/01-jay-glazer.jpg

And he used to be the worst fantasy football "expert" cbssportsline.com ever employed.

ChampionTexan
05-10-2010, 02:27 PM
And he used to be the worst fantasy football "expert" cbssportsline.com ever employed.

And I believe he's still Fox's version of Schefter/Mortensen/Clayton/LaCanfora etc...

(Now that I think about it, maybe he was ticked that Cush didn't give him the story to break! j/k)

Texanmike02
05-12-2010, 07:44 AM

I'm going to call BS here. First of all, with the exception of last year, this team has had nothing BUT signs of trouble. This Board however has been hopping from day one.

Second, there is a difference between groupies and fans. I am not a Texans groupie, I am not out there happy with whatever they do and when they make a mistake I'm going to say so. I am disgusted with Cushing. I'm a huge fan of his but I am disgusted. He's getting a pretty big check, to which I have contributed (no matter how small the ammount) and one of the things he's supposed to do is keep his nose clean.

That said, he's a kid. I understand they make mistakes and I haven't seen anyone saying that he can't redeem himself. I hope he learns a lesson and makes ammends. I think there are a lot who feel that way. Then again that's not melodramatic enough.

Mike

silvrhand
05-12-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm going to call BS here. First of all, with the exception of last year, this team has had nothing BUT signs of trouble. This Board however has been hopping from day one.

Second, there is a difference between groupies and fans. I am not a Texans groupie, I am not out there happy with whatever they do and when they make a mistake I'm going to say so. I am disgusted with Cushing. I'm a huge fan of his but I am disgusted. He's getting a pretty big check, to which I have contributed (no matter how small the ammount) and one of the things he's supposed to do is keep his nose clean.

That said, he's a kid. I understand they make mistakes and I haven't seen anyone saying that he can't redeem himself. I hope he learns a lesson and makes ammends. I think there are a lot who feel that way. Then again that's not melodramatic enough.

Mike

+ rep

Great post, I pay for a product it's called NFL football there are rules and regulations for this game that keep the integrity of the game. I have a right to voice my opinion on what I think is going right/wrong with this team. It's not like they don't have enough of our money to hire someone/test themselves, or keep their nose clean.

Seriously that's all you gotta do as a NFL player, work hard, get paid, and keep your nose clean. Why is that so )(*@$@@)( hard when you are making millions of dollars a year? I wish I had to worry about just keeping my nose clean and then retire in 10 years.

Rey
05-12-2010, 09:58 AM
"Disgusted" is a pretty strong word. I'm disgusted with child rapist and murderers...Cushing, not so much. He did wrong(allegedly), and he cost the team...I won't lose any sleep over it though.

And I may be one of the few, but I still think the Texans have a pretty good chance of winning games without Cushing.

Double Barrel
05-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Winston is a bad mofo, and it's good to see him circling the wagons in defense of one of his teammates.

2slik4u
05-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Winston is a bad mofo, and it's good to see him circling the wagons in defense of one of his teammates.

I completely agree, in no circumstance is there ever an excuse for a teammate to do nothing less than stand behind their comrade. If there is any discourse, it needs to be handled in the locker room between them, in the public eye they need to remain solid as a rock.

Good job Winston.

:texflag:

Texan_Bill
05-12-2010, 12:55 PM
I completely agree, in no circumstance is there ever an excuse for a teammate to do nothing less than stand behind their comrade. If there is any discourse, it needs to be handled in the locker room between them, in the public eye they need to remain solid as a rock.

Good job Winston.

:texflag:

These are my exact feelings and this is the way it should be!

Kindest Regards,

Terrell Owens

:D

2slik4u
05-12-2010, 01:12 PM
These are my exact feelings and this is the way it should be!

Kindest Regards,

Terrell Owens

:D

God I loathe Terrell Owens......:bat: