PDA

View Full Version : Donte Whitner wantsthe 2009 DROY to go to his teammate

GlenRice
05-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Some harsh words

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/05/bills-s-donte-whitner-jairus-byrd-should-receive-brian-cushings-2009-defensive-rookie-of-the-year-award/1

rmartin65
05-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Well, he is right. Cushing cheated, it should go to whomever came in second.

BigBull17
05-08-2010, 11:45 AM
I agree. Give it to Byrd.

False Start
05-08-2010, 12:00 PM
I just think he needs to keep his mouth shut, and just deal with it.

They didn't take away Sammy Sosa's, Mark McGwire's, and Barry Bond's HR records.

Its not like hes the first player in the NFL to get busted for roids. Shawne Merriman, Romanowski, just to name a few. If they had broken some kind of record, or won an award I don't think they would have taken it away from them.

Cushing flucked up, and hes paying for it. So just let the NFL deal with it. No matter what Cush is still my boy. Just my take. :tiphat:

BIG TORO
05-08-2010, 12:01 PM
I agree. Give it to Byrd.

Nfl channel is saying give it to byrd!

False Start
05-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Yeah, give it to the guy that had almost all his ints tipped right to him. :headhurts:

Ryan
05-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I'd be appalled if they gave it to Byrd just for the reason that False Start said. Now Orakpo on the other hand.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I'd be appalled if they gave it to Byrd just for the reason that False Start said. Now Orakpo on the other hand.

Cause there's no way Orakpo is using steroids. LMAO.

False Start
05-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Cause there's no way Orakpo is using steroids. LMAO.

Yeah, roids in the NFL are rare....... ;)

b0ng
05-08-2010, 12:28 PM
I'll be somewhat surprised if the NFL stripped him of his awards. Wouldn't argue about it.

Norg
05-08-2010, 01:04 PM
If i was cushing i would want to give it away myself

and come back and maybe in 2010 or 2011 season Be Defensive player of the year clean just to prove all the doubters wrong

Kinda how The pats were accused of cheating and spying and then coming back and going 18-0

Goatcheese
05-08-2010, 01:06 PM
He can have it, but he has to fight Cushing in an MMA cage match to the death to get it. :kingkong:

SteveSlaton20
05-08-2010, 02:06 PM
**** the bills anyway for taking OD out last season anyways.

IDEXAN
05-08-2010, 03:55 PM
No way Cushing performed in good faith in 2009 to receive the award and can't blame the Bills guys for wanting a revote.

HJam72
05-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Wow, I didn't know he didn't get caught during the season. How did they even manage to catch him? What was it like February? I didn't even know they made it their business what these guys did in the off-season.

V3rm0nt3r
05-08-2010, 04:18 PM
**** the bills anyway for taking OD out last season anyways.

the dude tripped. there was little to no contact on that play. it's like New England blaming Reliant's field crew for what happened to Welker. Shit happens and the sooner Bellichek realizes this the sooner I'll forgive him and Brady for being the biggest bitches in the league and plaguing my TV every Sunday (can you tell I hate the Pat's? Pollards my boy).

Thorn
05-08-2010, 04:38 PM
meh.....Donte Whitner can kiss my ass.

GuerillaBlack
05-08-2010, 04:40 PM
meh.....Donte Whiyner can kiss my ass.

Fixed.

JB
05-08-2010, 05:14 PM
No way Cushing performed in good faith in 2009 to receive the award and can't blame the Bills guys for wanting a revote.

And will you feel that wy if it comes out that it was something innoucuos like ephedrine or something and he failed a late season test?

I seem to recall he was battling the flu at one point. Perhaps the Robitussin or whatever had an unlisted active ingredient. Would you still be so hard on the young man?

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 05:20 PM

:clap: That's the Thorn I know!!

And FTR, I approve of this message!!

ATXtexanfan
05-08-2010, 05:24 PM
He can have it, but he has to fight Cushing in an MMA cage match to the death to get it. :kingkong:

must spread rep +1

mariowillshine15
05-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Maybe Whitner should focus more on not sucking so much ass instead of who should be getting an award.

I guess he has to live through his teammate since he knows he will never get an award.

TexansBull
05-09-2010, 11:45 PM
So, did I miss the memo Belicheck is giving back his Superbowl trophies?

Grid
05-10-2010, 12:03 AM
meh.. Whitner is a tool.

It is unknown at this point if Cushing even took any performance enhancing drugs, or if the substance that caused him to fail the test was an unintentional (or intentional) masking agent.

Until Cushing gets the chance to hit the field and play again, no one can say that he cheated.

What we do know is that Cushing has said that he did NOT take steroids.. and that he was very confident after failing the test in February that his appeal would be successful and the "charges" would be dropped. That sounds to me like a person who didnt do anything wrong and expected the "justice system" to back him up.

Whitner can suck it.

SheTexan
05-10-2010, 09:31 AM

Ditto!!!!

2slik4u
05-10-2010, 09:59 AM
Am I the only one suprised that Cush got caught??? I had a sneaking suspicion that he was jusicing all along. Im not mad or pissed like most out there. I wouldve been more suprised if he never got caught in his career. Hopefully he doesnt get caught again.

Was it worth it? 4 games for a defensive rookie of the year AND our first winning season that he had a HUGE hand in giving to us?

I vote yes personally. Its a huge PR nightmare and his reputation is obviously going to take a bigtime hit.....but be serious, the dude juiced in college/highschool and now apparently in the pros. No big suprise here.

Im not saying its ok to do it but the fact is Cush is a beast and now we know 100% why. Hes still one of my top three texans. He obviously wants to give it all to playing football, if he wants to risk his health thats his deal.

Ill welcome you back Cush come week 5 although I wish we had you for the Colts and the Cowboys.

Hopefully Sharpton blows the lid off this place.

Blake
05-10-2010, 10:05 AM
I'll be somewhat surprised if the NFL stripped him of his awards. Wouldn't argue about it.

The ROY awards are given out by the AP. So the NFL has nothing to do with this award.

Yankee_In_TX
05-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Wow, I didn't know he didn't get caught during the season. How did they even manage to catch him? What was it like February? I didn't even know they made it their business what these guys did in the off-season.

Shefter is now reporting September.

Brando
05-10-2010, 12:50 PM

Bingo!:kingkong:

b0ng
05-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Just pretend I said "Pro Bowl".

HuttoKarl
05-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Hey guys...I just took a Donte and wiped my Whitner.

stingray
05-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Looks like it just might happen...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5176949

JB
05-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Looks like it just might happen...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5176949

Did they strip Merriman of his DROY?

HOU-TEX
05-10-2010, 03:44 PM
IMO, Cushing would still win after a re-vote. IIRC, he got 39 votes out of the 50 and the next closest player (byrd) had 6.

Carr Bombed
05-10-2010, 03:47 PM
IMO, Cushing would still win after a re-vote. IIRC, he got 39 votes out of the 50 and the next closest player (byrd) had 6.

It's a re-vote, not a re-count. If they re-vote, Cushing probably won't receive one single 1st place vote or even a second place vote. Nobody votes for cheaters.

Dutchrudder
05-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Did they strip Merriman of his DROY?

On October 22, 2006, reports were made public by CNN that Merriman would face a 4-game suspension for violating the NFL's steroid policy.[4] ESPN's Chris Mortensen cited a source that claimed the suspension was "definitely for steroid use and not a 'supplement-type' suspension." Mortenson's report later came under scrutiny from Merriman's attorney, David Cornwell, who called the report "irresponsible and erroneous." Under NFL league policy, no player's suspension proceedings are to be announced before the suspension takes place. Subsequently Cornwell stated that he believes the substance his client tested positive for was the anabolic steroid nandrolone, and that Merriman claims it must have been in a tainted nutritional supplement he took regularly.[5]

The incident led to the passage of a rule that forbids a player who tests positive for steroids from being selected to the Pro Bowl or winning any performance awards in the year in which they tested positive. The rule is commonly referred as the "Merriman Rule".[6][7] However, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has tried to distance the policy from being associated with the player, stating that Merriman tested clean on 19 of 20 random tests for performance-enhancing drugs since entering the league.[8]

Linky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Merriman)

Draw your own conclusions, but no he did not have his award stripped.

wagonhed
05-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Merriman tested for nandrolone, eh? That just happens to be the steroid that stays in your system for 18-24 months. I don't remember what thread I said this in already, but any athlete in any sort of tested organization is absolutely NUTS to ever touch that stuff. It's what Stephan Bonnar tested positive for too.

dducky007
05-10-2010, 05:02 PM
As banged up as he was towards the end of the season, I would assume he needed something to help the injuries.

Dutchrudder
05-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Merriman tested for nandrolone, eh? That just happens to be the steroid that stays in your system for 18-24 months. I don't remember what thread I said this in already, but any athlete in any sort of tested organization is absolutely NUTS to ever touch that stuff. It's what Stephan Bonnar tested positive for too.

So even if he had been using it the whole time, and may be still to this day, how does he get a clean record on "19 of 20 random tests for performance-enhancing drugs since entering the league.[8]"

I don't know anything about how any of this stuff works, but it just seems silly to me if they can only detect it in a handful of players.

wagonhed
05-10-2010, 05:13 PM
So even if he had been using it the whole time, and may be still to this day, how does he get a clean record on "19 of 20 random tests for performance-enhancing drugs since entering the league.[8]"

I don't know anything about how any of this stuff works, but it just seems silly to me if they can only detect it in a handful of players.
I'm not entirely sure, but I do know this.

Steroids aren't detected in a normal urine toxicology test. I know this from being in the military and dealing with the issue a lot. Apparently a steroid test costs an additional large amount of money, something upwards of a couple hundred dollars.

In the military, they will only send your urine for the steroid test if they have some reason to believe it is necessary, and I think (not 100% sure) they pick a small % of the batch to do it on randomly over and above the normal tox test.

It's at least possible in my opinion that this is what the NFL does. They save money by not running every urine sample through the steroid test. And on top of that, they benefit by not catching so many of their players, which would obviously be bad for business.

So there you have it. Feel free to construct whatever theories you want with that information. Nothing the NFL actually does would surprise me.

edit: to clarify, the military collects samples from everyone. they only run normal tox tests on random samples. im guessing they do random steroid tests on a much, much smaller random sample beyond that. they only do it specifically, as far as i know, if the unit commander requests it for someone.

Norg
05-10-2010, 05:18 PM
U know I really don't think Cush cares about the award the only thing he cares about is winning the super bowl

What do u get with the award anywayz a title who cares

GuerillaBlack
05-10-2010, 05:29 PM
U know I really don't think Cush cares about the award the only thing he cares about is winning the super bowl

What do u get with the award anywayz a title who cares

Prestige. Something to stamp on your resume once you retire from the league (along with that Super Bowl trophy).

AnthonyE
05-10-2010, 05:33 PM
As banged up as he was towards the end of the season, I would assume he needed something to help the injuries.

That's what I said in the other thread.

He tested positive in September and if you remember he was hurt throughout August. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was taking something so he could get on the field by week 1.

J_R
05-10-2010, 05:38 PM
(repost) Mr. Whitner [and Jairus Byrd] might get their wish.

Gonna be a re-vote for NFL DROY

BobGlauber (http://twitter.com/BobGlauber)

Just got off the phone with AP Sports Editor Terry Taylor. There will be a re-vote of NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

wagonhed
05-10-2010, 07:00 PM
I hope to God Brian Orakpo or Clay Matthews wins it so I can laugh for all eternity at the system.