PDA

View Full Version : Cushing suspended 4 games for violating policy on performance-enhancing substances

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

nero THE zero
05-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Per ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5172060)
The Houston Texans' defense took a major blow Friday when defensive rookie of the year Brian Cushing learned he is being suspended four games for violating the NFL's steroid policy, according to league sources.

Cushing appealed the league's decision at a hearing at the NFL scouting combine in February but was informed Friday his appeal had been rejected, according to sources.

Cushing will be allowed to participate in training camp with the Texans this summer, but then will serve his four game suspension to start of the 2010 regular season.

Cushing's attorney, Harvey Steinberg, did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

The Texans defense will suffer without Cushing, especially considering that its first game of the season is against the defending AFC South champion Indianapolis Colts. Cushing will also miss games against the Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys and Oakland Raiders.

Cushing, who was voted to the Pro Bowl, had 133 tackles, helped lead the Texans to a 9-7 record, their first winning record in franchise history. Cushing finished the season with five sacks, four interceptions and two forced fumbles.

TEXANS84
05-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Breaking on ESPN, steroids 4 games.

JWarren14
Damn it!!!!!!

midgetonadonkey
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/13573290901

toronto
I smell a 20 page thread!

Heath Shuler
05-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Cushing appealed the suspension in February and discovered today he had lost his appeal. First game he will miss is against the Colts.

http://twitter.com/adam_schefter

Norg
05-07-2010, 06:43 PM
If this is true i so seen this coming LOL

Norg
05-07-2010, 06:45 PM
That sucks o well Cush couldnt cover Dallas Clark anywayz .....

Rey
Family emergency? LOL

Norg
Like we didnt see this coming who will take his place ??????

Revolution
05-07-2010, 06:46 PM
:pissed:

Rey

Daryl Sharpton?

I wonder how people feel about that pick now

J_R

4th round pick Darryl Sharpton!! ;)

rmartin65
This is less than great news... We may be seeing the Sharpton then.

JWarren14
05-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Can he appeal it?

JB
Mods, can we merge all these Cushing suspended threads?

Rey
Can he appeal it?

I think he already did and lost

rmartin65
05-07-2010, 06:48 PM
4 games! The other thread said one I thought. Son of a B!!!! (Not you, Cushing, I am merely swearing at the situation)

NitroGSXR
05-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Can he appeal it?

He appealed in Feburary. He's out for sure.

*sigh*

False Start
05-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Well son of a *****! :pissed:

Drew_Smoke
05-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Canseco is a jinx...Thanks 610 for bringing him to town.

BigBull17
05-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Selfish ****. FML.

hot pickle
05-07-2010, 06:53 PM
hehe i knew it!!! remember when he entered the draft everyone was like how those are some big man titties HAHAA sucks bad though we need him

ObsiWan
05-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Any word on which substance they busted him with and how?
I'd like a few details
Enquiring minds want to know.

IDEXAN
What a shame, what a shame.
So whatever happens from here on out, right or wrong, he now has this stigma.

JMacaroni
Well, I guess no defensive awards or pro-bowl this year...but still good for the playoffs :fingergun:

TimeKiller
05-07-2010, 06:55 PM
well....

This was the risk of taking Cushing. I guess all the rumors were true. He means too damn much to this team and defense to miss games like this.

If they knew about it pre-draft I guess that makes the LB pick a little better. Don't know how I feel about Diles-Ryans-Sharpton....that seems awful small. Maybe we'll see Barwin in Cushing's role in some packages?

Brisco_County
05-07-2010, 06:55 PM
This is my second-worst nightmare scenario. The first is him sustaining a season ending injury. So look at the brightside: It's only four games.

redwhiteANDblue
05-07-2010, 06:57 PM
You guys should blame me. Bad luck follows me around like glue. I bring this city a huge box of FAIL!:choke:

Trail.Blazr
05-07-2010, 06:57 PM
stupid. if we new it, and everyone talking about it, he shouldn't have even allowed himself to say the word, neverless use them.

ObsiWan
05-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Who says we never draft unsavory character guys..?

TEXANS84
05-07-2010, 06:59 PM
We all remember Lattimer from "The Program".

http://images.tmuscle.com/avatar_images/auto/r/150x0/e/3/e3d9a-Lattimer_1.jpg

J_R
05-07-2010, 07:02 PM
From last year but ehh..makes ya wonder?!

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/usc_linebackers_test_positive.html

Suspend Matthews while you're at it. ;)

JB
05-07-2010, 07:03 PM
It's gonna be really interesting hearing the spin on this. He was so adamant with his denial when the report came out that he flunked the combine pee-pee test.

I just wonder what kind of stories will sprout. Betcha it's gonna be good...

disaacks3
05-07-2010, 07:06 PM
This is my second-worst nightmare scenario. The first is him sustaining a season ending injury. So look at the brightside: It's only four games. Unfortuantely, those four are BRUTAL. IF we go 2-2, I'll be ecstatic.

It's gonna be really interesting hearing the spin on this. He was so adamant with his denial when the report came out that he flunked the combine pee-pee test.

I just wonder what kind of stories will sprout. Betcha it's gonna be good... So the Texans have the first Bill Romanowski act-a-like contestant. He's still not a bad-character guy at least. (no drugs, killings or rapes yet)

Ryan
05-07-2010, 07:06 PM
I've been doing a Cleveland edition "no no no no no NO!" for the last ten minutes.

Kulluminatii
05-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Well guys, think of it like this, he is going to be really p#@$%d off when he comes back from his suspension. Would hate to be the team going against you guys in Week 5, thankfully the Raiders go against you guys on Week 4 :fingergun:.

Ryan
05-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Now the Sharpton pick makes more sense.

stingray
05-07-2010, 07:08 PM
How freaking embarrasing.

Rey
05-07-2010, 07:08 PM
From last year but ehh..makes ya wonder?!

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/usc_linebackers_test_positive.html

Suspend Matthews while you're at it. ;)

I didn't hear anything about that last year....

NitroGSXR
05-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Brian Cushing has a small peepee.

*giggles*

wagonhed
05-07-2010, 07:09 PM
This is ****ing bullshit. Suspensions for drug use period are ****ing bullshit. When you've got people like Roethlisberger essentially raping/sexually assaulting girls and getting suspended for similar amount of times. Or other sorts of violent/legitimately criminal acts. Taking drugs doesn't harm anyone except for, occasionally, yourself.

I'm pretty surprised he was dumb enough to get caught though. Tons of players in basically every sport use steroids but most people figure out how to not fail the tests.

Lame.

:mad:

Rey
05-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Well guys, think of it like this, he is going to be really p#@$%d off when he comes back from his suspension. Would hate to be the team going against you guys in Week 5, thankfully the Raiders go against you guys on Week 4 :fingergun:.

Why would he be pissed off? He has no one to blame but himself...

I'd think he'd be more ashamed than anything

IDEXAN
05-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Did we end up drafting the son of Brian Bosworth ?
The Boz was quite a fraud you know.

Grams
05-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Wonder how much of last year was him or the steroids?

Kulluminatii
05-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Why would he be pissed off? He has no one to blame but himself...

I'd think he'd be more ashamed than anything

Well, 4 games does sound a bit harsh when compared to Big Ben's "alleged" fondling of a drunk female. I don't exactly see him coming in Week 5 calm, and Cush doesn't really seem to look like the type who would be ashamed/embarrassed of anything. If he is, I'm sure he will be hellbent to prove he is still a good player w/o the 'roids once he comes back.

Rey
05-07-2010, 07:13 PM

They are talking about roids on 610 right now...Some interesting points about it helping with endurance and maintaining strength..

I think that it definitely helped his performance

TexansFight
05-07-2010, 07:14 PM
We are going to be so screwed. Looks like it will be year 17 and counting since a Houston team has been in the NFL playoffs. FML.

This guy is my favorite player (no joke) and I bought a football jersey for the first time ever with his name and number.

I thought this ****er ate nothing but specially prepared meals and had state of the art masking techniques like Lance Armstrong used. Also what was this about using MMA training techniques during the offseason. FML

Shaft75
This really pisses me off. Let's hope one of the other "kids" can step up.

I'm interested to see what he took though. Maybe it's similar to starcaps?

Ryan
Well the positives are that he will have a nice chip on his shoulder when he gets back to prove that he can play without the juice.

I don't know how much steroids affects a football player anyways. A baseball player is a different story.

IDEXAN
05-07-2010, 07:15 PM

Get real ! His entire rookie season is now called into question at the very least, if not entirely discredited.

JWarren14
05-07-2010, 07:16 PM
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/40564/cstrh23e8ggb.jpg

I really hope that this doesn't hurt his game at all. I am worried that all those injuries would have kept him out if he weren't on the roids.

Dear god, this is not good, went from one of the brightest spots on the team to a big question mark. The next strike is missing a whole season right?

spurstexanstros
05-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Now the 4th round pick makes sense I was wondering why they drafted another one.

JWarren14
05-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Merriman had some steroid issues as well right, and now he has turned into a pretty mediocre football player?

Goldensilence
1. Surprised this was kept under wraps league wide so long.

2. I'm with Obsi, what substance? Inquiring minds want to know indeed.

3. Was he re-tested at any point during the season? If so did he pass that as well?

4. This is going to cause lingering concerns for me. I just think before we got it confirmed Merriman was on the juice the guy was pretty "lights out" since then not so much. I've got to wonder how much of this contributed to to such a monster rookie campaign.

I'm left thinking at least we've got decent depth at the LBer spot. Not sure why everyone is rushing Sharpton's name out there. We've still got Adibi, Bentley, and it would be nice to see Chaun Thompson finally healthy.

Could we also rotate Diles into the SLB spot?

I say we have depth but, none of them are the thumper that Cush is.

Our defense just took a tremendous blow.

Rey
Well, 4 games does sound a bit harsh when compared to Big Ben's "alleged" fondling of a drunk female. I don't exactly see him coming in Week 5 calm, and Cush doesn't really seem to look like the type who would be ashamed/embarrassed of anything. If he is, I'm sure he will be hellbent to prove he is still a good player w/o the 'roids once he comes back.

I do agree with the last sentence.

That said, I don't see why he'd be upset about the amount of time he was susepenced for...It was never proved that Ben did anything illegal whereas it has pretty much been proven that Cushing took steroids...

I'm upset with Cushing at this point not the leauge for their sentence

TexansFight
This is ****ing bullshit. Suspensions for drug use period are ****ing bullshit. When you've got people like Roethlisberger essentially raping/sexually assaulting girls and getting suspended for similar amount of times. Or other sorts of violent/legitimately criminal acts. Taking drugs doesn't harm anyone except for, occasionally, yourself.

I'm pretty surprised he was dumb enough to get caught though. Tons of players in basically every sport use steroids but most people figure out how to not fail the tests.

Lame.

I completely agree with this. I am in favor of full legalization of all drugs no joke.

stingray
05-07-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm glad I never bought his jersey.

threetoedpete
05-07-2010, 07:23 PM

Adibi goes to Will. Diles goes to Sam

HoustonFrog
05-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Here is my question. The guy had training camp injury issues. Then he plays a season with no rookie wall and no injuries. Was it the roids and will his body now start having breakdowns?

Imatexanfan
05-07-2010, 07:25 PM
As much as I hate 2 say this but, does anyone expect anything less from a USC athlete?! I mean seriously, why is this even news?! One linebacker solicits children and takes them on drunken rides around Cincinnati, one running back received thousands of dollars in gifts and vehicles, and now this...

AHH WE SUCK AGAIN!!:boogereater:

Ryan
05-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Here is my question. The guy had training camp injury issues. Then he plays a season with no rookie wall and no injuries. Was it the roids and will his body now start having breakdowns?

That seems like most peoples concerns at the moment. Maybe his newly purchased hyperbaric chamber will help with that.

Nawzer
05-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Wtf??!!

Honoring Earl 34
05-07-2010, 07:27 PM
The Smithiak team has an ace up their sleeve .

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/garrard-mcclendon-live/rev-al-sharpton2.jpg

I wonder if Barwin can play the SAM

MannyFresh
05-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Brian Cushing has a small peepee.

*giggles*

No wonder Anna Megan Riley didn't worry about hanging around his house for that Chronicle segment last year, she had NO threat with that small thing....LOL

wagonhed
05-07-2010, 07:28 PM
1. There are tons of different drugs all considered anabolic steroids that all do different things.

2. Steroids have detection times ranging from 3 days to 18-24 months.

3. The only steroid that is known to help prevent injuries whatsoever is also one of only 2 steroids that has the 18-24 month detection time.

4. The 2 most prominent steroids that actually increase your physical strength/endurance just by taking them are very bad for football players; one kills your joints and basically gives you acute arthritis, and the other makes it almost impossible to run because your muscles fill with blood too fast. Most other steroids are poorly suited for football players during the season anyway because they destroy your cardiovascular endurance. What this means is there is no way Cushing got any "advantage" from being on them, if he was on them during the season at all, except for the fact that he had bigger and stronger muscles going into it.

It's basically a fact that tons of football players use steroids. It's widespread in college and likely even more widespread in the NFL because they have money. It is basically not physically possible to have bodies like MJD, Mario Williams, Brian Orakpo, Bruce Campbell, Taylor Mays etc.... without the use of steroids. If those people weren't using in college they wouldn't be top physical specimens, period.

If it's the combine test that Brian is now being suspended for, I guess that makes a little more sense as to why he wasn't smart enough to dodge it. Maybe he stayed on them too long up before the test or something. Either way it was stupid of him, if he was going to use he should have used the ones that exit the blood quickly.

And trust me, you don't want steroids out of the NFL. If somehow everyone stopped taking them whatsoever the sport would go back to what it was like in the 60s-70s as far as players physical ability (assuming they didn't just start taking HGH instead).

Ryan
05-07-2010, 07:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE4MAGA1xn4

We're gonna need some of that.

GuerillaBlack
05-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Damn it man! I think we all knew that boy was on steroids, but didn't want to believe it since he played for our team.

Nawzer
05-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Shame on you Brian Cushing. You've just let the whole city of Houston and it's football fans down.

MightyTExan
05-07-2010, 07:32 PM
http://fffffuuuuuuuuu.viralprints.com/system/photos/824/large/VP_FFFFUUUUUU.png

wagonhed
Steroids don't heal ligaments/tendons/bones. They actually don't "heal" muscles either, if the muscles are injured. Mostly what they do is increase protein synthesis and speed up the repair of micro-tears caused by weight training.

TexansBlood
Thanks Cushing. Way to fck things up!! Just messed up my whole weekend.

Ole Miss Texan
05-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Dangit, this sucks. But can I get some clarification?

There was a report last year the said sources indicated Cushing tested positive at the 09 Combine.

This articles says he appealed the suspension at February's Combine. Are they talking about this years 2010 combine? Did he just appeal it 3 months ago or was it last year?

If he tested positive last year, why was he allowed to play all season? why did he not get in trouble till now?

I'm so confused and so sad. :barman:

JMacaroni
05-07-2010, 07:35 PM
No wonder Anna Megan Riley didn't worry about hanging around his house for that Chronicle segment last year, she had NO threat with that small thing....LOL

I think you may be a "little" confused, you're ass backwards my friend

spurstexanstros
05-07-2010, 07:36 PM
umm they showed the wrong rick smith on nfln..the one that was fired..good coverage guys

NitroGSXR
05-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Steroids don't heal ligaments/tendons/bones. They actually don't "heal" muscles either, if the muscles are injured. Mostly what they do is increase protein synthesis and speed up the repair of micro-tears caused by weight training.

Steroids also break up scar tissue which is a critical element from recovering from a ligament or a tendon. I'm currently on a dexamethsone gel delivered by an ultrasound.

JT
05-07-2010, 07:37 PM

Thought it was funny, what is that cheater your boy or something?! You on the juice too "smalley"?

wagonhed
05-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Steroids also break up scar tissue which is a critical element from recovering from a ligament or a tendon. I'm currently on a dexamethsone gel delivered by an ultrasound.

That's a corticosteroid, not an anabolic steroid. Very different things. For one, corticosteroids don't build muscles.

GuerillaBlack
05-07-2010, 07:39 PM

Here's the cool guy.

Second Honeymoon
05-07-2010, 07:39 PM
this sucks

well at least the Texans were aggressive in improving the team this offseason.....oh wait, never mind

and how about Dunta turning heads in Atlanta....what a great front office we have

inactivity, complacency, and a commitment to mediocrity

Go Texans

JMacaroni
05-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Thought it was funny, what is that cheater your boy or something?! You on the juice too "smalley"?

lol Maybe...just making sure people understand it's the beans, not the frank

Izzo01
05-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Well he did say Lawerence Taylor was his idol. Anyhow I still believe roids may have helped him play thru all the injuries but he still had to get himself in the position to make the plays hopefully he career dosen't go to shit.

Deny til you Die Cush !!

J_R
05-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Jay_Glazer (http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer)

I'm waiting to hear from him but as u can imagine I'm absolutely furious. I wanna hear his side b4 I say anything. Right now tho I'm livid

kcdoubleeagle
05-07-2010, 07:44 PM
WHY?????????? SO IT AIN'T SO BRIAN!!! WHY OH WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GET CAUGHT????? COULDN'T YOU HAVE MASKED IT BETTER LIKE EVERY OTHER NFL PLAYER??

I am so disappointed.

Norg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE4MAGA1xn4

We're gonna need some of that.

Our rookie LB is not starting wk1 guyz or at least i wouldnt but money on it

wagonhed
lol Maybe...just making sure people understand it's the beans, not the frank

good luck with that. people have chosen to remain ignorant about it and continue making jokes about small dicks for a decade.

ObsiWan
05-07-2010, 07:46 PM
NFLN just read a prepared statement from Rick Smith but they showed a photo of former D.C. Richard Smith instead of Rick Smith.

JMacaroni
05-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Have you seen my baseball?

Rey
05-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Our rookie LB is not starting wk1 guyz or at least i wouldnt but money on it

I know we had nothing on the Team and they were higher draft picks but Cush and Meco started wk 1...

Adibi has ability, but he struggled a bit last yr...I haven't seen a whole lot of Sharpton, but I wouldn't completely rule it out

Norg
05-07-2010, 07:48 PM
NFLN just read a prepared statement from Rick Smith but they showed a photo of former D.C. Richard Smith instead of Rick Smith.

They called us the Houston Oilers at times has well

NFLN doesnot even know about us LOL

Thorn
05-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Well this is a shock. But I'm not going to get on Cushing, he's still one of my favorite players. When he comes back he will atone for himself I'm sure.

JMacaroni
05-07-2010, 07:49 PM
good luck with that. people have chosen to remain ignorant about it and continue making jokes about small dicks for a decade.

Talk about ignorant... Know what you're talking about before you claim somebody is ignorant

NitroGSXR
05-07-2010, 07:51 PM
That's a corticosteroid, not an anabolic steroid. Very different things. For one, corticosteroids don't build muscles.

Cool.

Goldensilence

Right.... i mean pretty much our best player on defense gets suspended four games and now there's going to be concerns about whether his rookie season was real or just on juice.

In the mean time some guys can only think about another guy's wiener size. WTF is wrong with ya'll? Here's a tribute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFN46VPj4t4

wagonhed
Talk about ignorant... Know what you're talking about before you claim somebody is ignorant

Wait, what? I was agreeing with you.

gary
I do not care if you agree with the rule or not for now it is a rule Cush should come out on his own and fess up IMO. I still love him but he got caught and is the only one to blame not the NFL. That being said, GO CUSH.

J_R
05-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Donte Whitner wants his award gone

Rey
05-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Donte Whitner wants his award gone

You mean Jarius Byrd?

Ole Miss Texan
Dangit, this sucks. But can I get some clarification?

There was a report last year the said sources indicated Cushing tested positive at the 09 Combine.

This articles says he appealed the suspension at February's Combine. Are they talking about this years 2010 combine? Did he just appeal it 3 months ago or was it last year?

If he tested positive last year, why was he allowed to play all season? why did he not get in trouble till now?

I'm so confused and so sad. :barman:

Anybody... Anybody? Why was he allowed to play all last season?

dtran04
Hopefully Cushing can remain a good player (a la Julius Peppers after getting busted) and not like Merriman.

spurstexanstros
05-07-2010, 07:54 PM
"puts on battle red goggles" Ok he missed all of training camp and won rookie of the year..miss 4 games...MV,,,nah I cant even finish that

dtran04
05-07-2010, 07:54 PM
You mean Jarius Byrd?

Orakpo disagrees. Then again, he got significantly bigger in college too....

J_R
05-07-2010, 07:57 PM
You mean Jarius Byrd?

Yes and no, I meant Donte Whiter. Donte Whitner said on his twitter feed he wants the NFL to take it away and give it to Orakpo or his teammate Byrd.

J_R
05-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Jay_Glazer (http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer)

RT @bgibbs10 (http://twitter.com/bgibbs10): @Jay_Glazer (http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer) Do you have a policy in place for people within your group that take PEDs?>Yup, we don't train em

Yes, livid about Cushing. Randy Couture and I have a pretty strict policy against cheaters. I need to hear from Brian b4 we make judgment

TexansFight
05-07-2010, 07:58 PM
this sucks

well at least the Texans were aggressive in improving the team this offseason.....oh wait, never mind

and how about Dunta turning heads in Atlanta....what a great front office we have

inactivity, complacency, and a commitment to mediocrity

Go Texans

I agree completely. You know what's pathetic we refuse to sign guys like Antonio Cromartie because of supposed "character" issues off the field but the truth is that he'll produce and play every game unless he is hurt while our star Rookie of the Year LB who was "clean enough" for Jesus McNair and Pope Kubiak will miss a QUARTER of the season for basically cheating. The Texans front office is an absurd joke. I don't care how many illegitimate kids a football player has on my team as long as we WIN.

**** "character", all I want is a PLAYOFF BERTH DAMN IT. Where is the God damned urgency in the Texans front office. This needs to be states in all caps damn it, WE ARE GOING ON YEAR 17 OF NO NFL PLAYOFFS IN HOUSTON.

Bob McNair you dumbass address that ****ing crisis NOW before worrying about getting good little Christian boys on your NFL team. What a joke.

Rey
05-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Yes and no, I meant Donte Whiter. Donte Whitner said on his twitter feed he wants the NFL to take it away and give it to Orakpo or his teammate Byrd.

Oh ok...Got you...

JMacaroni
05-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Wait, what? I was agreeing with you.

Oh....my bad, yeah you're right then...

Buffi2
05-07-2010, 08:01 PM

I'd like to know the answer to that myself. What took so long for the NFL to figure this out? Perplexing.

Besides that, this is othing short of a catastrophe. And I was so hopeful about this year too.

JT
05-07-2010, 08:01 PM

What an angry little man, Neg reps for you...

hookinreds
05-07-2010, 08:02 PM
I say we skip on Cushing and draft Matthews.

Ryan
05-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Cmon guys, get a grip. This is not the end of our freakin season. It's 4 games against beatable opponents with or without Cushing. And people seem to forget that we have #59 anchoring the middle. You know, that guy who's also pretty decent.

If Peyton is going to beat us week 1, he would beat us regardless of who's on our defense. Not to mention we still have Pollard and Mario.

JMacaroni
05-07-2010, 08:06 PM
What an angry little man, Neg reps for you...

Sounds like it, but there are different ways to take that....just saying

gary
05-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Just a question I have. Fans today are for players being allowed to use steroids I am not saying I disagree with that. But, what would that do to records from years ago for those who did not have the chance to use them? Isn't that not fair or do we just not care because they are not around anymore? Just a thought.

Craig.
05-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Sure am glad I didn't spring for that jersey.

Ryan
05-07-2010, 08:10 PM
I mean, i am upset about this, but imagine what would happen to this board if it were Demeco or Dre that got caught for this? I think people would be in tears.

GuerillaBlack
05-07-2010, 08:11 PM
No wonder why Cushing always came back from injury so quick. We all that he was a beast, but it seems to be the steroids that made him a beast. Doesn't take away from his football instincts (which he showed were great), but hopefully his performance doesn't drop off too much.

ObsiWan
05-07-2010, 08:13 PM
I wonder if the Texans' front office will do something over and above what the league did..??

Thorn
05-07-2010, 08:14 PM
I mean, i am upset about this, but imagine what would happen to this board if it were Demeco or Dre that got caught for this? I think people would be in tears.

The only thing I'm upset about is he'll miss four games. Big deal he did some drugs, or maybe not. It still might be something else, you know.

Anyways, like some have moral high ground on that subject. I know I sure don't. LOL

As far as I'm concerned, Cushing still rocks. He'll just rock a little later this year.

Ryan
05-07-2010, 08:14 PM
I just don't see how steroids would alter an NFL player very significantly. It's not going to make Cushing miss tackles because he's too weak now, dude still trains like a beast. As stated he has the football instincts. I doubt this is going to drastically change the way Cushing plays football, if anything he's just going to be more pissed and prove to people that he still is a beast.

gary
05-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Anyone going to reply to my qestion?

TexansFight
05-07-2010, 08:17 PM
I wonder if the Texans' front office will do something over and above what the league did..??

I hope not. What they need to do us to get him in touch with Lance Armstrong and his doctor on how to avoid getting caught using the roids. I want him on the juice even after this because I don't think he'll be the same player without them. He just needs to avoid getting caught again.

Wolf
05-07-2010, 08:19 PM
I agree completely. You know what's pathetic we refuse to sign guys like Antonio Cromartie because of supposed "character" issues off the field but the truth is that he'll produce and play every game unless he is hurt while our star Rookie of the Year LB who was "clean enough" for Jesus McNair and Pope Kubiak will miss a QUARTER of the season for basically cheating. The Texans front office is an absurd joke. I don't care how many illegitimate kids a football player has on my team as long as we WIN.

**** "character", all I want is a PLAYOFF BERTH DAMN IT. Where is the God damned urgency in the Texans front office. This needs to be states in all caps damn it, WE ARE GOING ON YEAR 17 OF NO NFL PLAYOFFS IN HOUSTON.

Bob McNair you dumbass address that ****ing crisis NOW before worrying about getting good little Christian boys on your NFL team. What a joke.

I hope that was sarcasm
or
is there something that you haven't ever liked with Bob?

you want wins and we all do , but you criticize if they are good guys or "bad" guys.. no matter what is done.

I might have to think of you as terminatorfight .. you set your goal and you don't stop not matter what

TexansFight
05-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Anyone going to reply to my qestion?

I'll take a stab. Stats and records are a HUGE part of the game and you can probably rattle some of them off like most numbers of home runs in a season.

Football is not really like this. Fans don't hold the number of rushing yards a Hall of Famer had as being special. Basically, it is not as big of a deal in football.

ATXtexanfan
just a little shine knocked off the kid, thats all. still want to know the details

JB

I'd like to know the answer to that myself. What took so long for the NFL to figure this out? Perplexing.

Besides that, this is othing short of a catastrophe. And I was so hopeful about this year too.

I'm thinking he probably flunked an end of season test, when he was battling injuries. He would have been notified probably after the B and the made his appeal in Feb.

TexansFight
05-07-2010, 08:26 PM
I hope that was sarcasm
or

you want wins and we all do , but you criticize if they are good guys or "bad" guys.. no matter what is done.

I might have to think of you as terminatorfight .. you set your goal and you don't stop not matter what

What is there to like about Bob McNair as an NFL owner except for being the guy who brought the NFL back (which I am eternally grateful for). Honestly.

The fact is he is a mediocre at best NFL owner. If we had playoff berths by now it'd be a different story. All I know is that my season ticket keep getting more expensive and that I don't sense they have 1/10 of the urgency to make the playoffs that I as a mere fan have. That and selling me a smaller glass of beer at the same price it was for a larger pour the year before. That's depressing.

gary
05-07-2010, 08:29 PM
I'll take a stab. Stats and records are a HUGE part of the game and you can probably rattle some of them off like most numbers of home runs in a season.

Football is not really like this. Fans don't hold the number of rushing yards a Hall of Famer had as being special. Basically, it is not as big of a deal in football.The good players from the 60d's and 70d's have already made their mark on the NFL and for the most part are already in the HOF. Players today are just trying to do the samething so it really does not matter I'd say.

b0ng
05-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Just a question I have. Fans today are for players being allowed to use steroids I am not saying I disagree with that. But, what would that do to records from years ago for those who did not have the chance to use them? Isn't that not fair or do we just not care because they are not around anymore? Just a thought.

Steroids have been prevalent in the NFL for decades. It's pretty much thought that most of the Steel Curtain defense are keeling over so soon because they were all pretty much roided out.

TexanSam
05-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Cushing might not be the great player we all thought he was. Let's see what he's like once he comes back.

Lance Z has some good stuff via twitter about the situation.

http://twitter.com/LanceZierlein

"We vetted the process really thoroughly," Texans general manager Rick Smith said that draft day.

One league insider just told me cushing & roids were "common knowledge". If so, then the Texans dropped the ball from a scouting standpoint

If Cushing doesn't come back in full beastmode & if Texans drafted a player who doesn't resemble last year's player, someone loses their job

As far Cushing's PR standpoint, it looks like he knew it was coming. He apparently had scheduled quite a few interviews this week, maybe to limit the damage to his reputation.

everyone talked to Cushing this week. I think his pr people were trying to humanize him before news broke.

His people sought our producer out to set up interview...that was fishy to me. He was doing a lot of interviews

Errant Hothy
05-07-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm sorry but I cant bring myself to be outraged about this. I doubt he's the only Texan on PEDs, and I know for a fact that he isn't the only player in the NFL on them. So he gains a chemical edge, like a serious number of athletes do. If he want's to damage his body to gain an advantage on the field I don't really care.

Pro athletes take steriods, do drugs and are not social role-models on the agverage. I do not look to Cushing to provided my sons with a role model, I look to him and the team for entertainment. Just like I did Bagwell and the Astros.

Ole Miss Texan
05-07-2010, 08:40 PM
What is there to like about Bob McNair as an NFL owner except for being the guy who brought the NFL back (which I am eternally grateful for). Honestly.

The fact is he is a mediocre at best NFL owner. If we had playoff berths by now it'd be a different story. All I know is that my season ticket keep getting more expensive and that I don't sense they have 1/10 of the urgency to make the playoffs that I as a mere fan have. That and selling me a smaller glass of beer at the same price it was for a larger pour the year before. That's depressing.

I still get depressed reading negative post after negative post from you. I don't think I've read one positive thing you've had to say about the Texans....err wait a minute I thought you were Second Honeymoon! :polevault:

In all seriousness though, this "McNair is cheap" and "McNair doesn't care about winning" has gotten really old. I understand the fans that do nothing but spout this are tired from all the seasons with no playoff appearences... I get that and I can completely sympothize with you all.

But the truth is McNair wants a winner so bad. He's just going about trying to get this team to the right place a different way than a lot of fans want. It's brought up that McNair is just happy earning money every year and doesn't care about making the Texans better. That's complete and utter B.S. McNair has everything to gain by turning this organization into a perennial playoff/superbowl contender. Profits on an annual basis will soar once the team can accomplish this as will the overall investment value in his ownership. He has every reason to turn this into a championship team and anyone who thinks he doesn't care.... well we won't go there.

gary
05-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Steroids have been prevalent in the NFL for decades. It's pretty much thought that most of the Steel Curtain defense are keeling over so soon because they were all pretty much roided out.
I got it b0ng.

Errant Hothy
05-07-2010, 08:42 PM

Them and the Cowboys O-line of the 90s that sprung Emmitt for most of his yards.

Wolf
05-07-2010, 08:42 PM
The good players from the 60d's and 70d's have already made their mark on the NFL and for the most part are already in the HOF. Players today are just trying to do the samething so it really does not matter I'd say.

try reading about the Steelers in the late 70's and 80's and sterioids .. rumor circulating why so many have died young ..

but I am not hating

my deal is that testing was done .. he has been tested before.(and I took the word of people before the draft) so what exactly is the substance?

so...if he knowingly took steriods....I will hate it

but was it part of something that needed some investigation of ingredients within a pill ?

so far I will go by what his dad and previous statements.(and that was after previous tests)

3rd post and link

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69398&highlight=cushing

AGAIN... if it was legit I will be disappointed

ObsiWan
05-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Has anyone seen a report on just what chemistry he had in his body? I find it strange that no one has "leaked" a lab report or anything containing just what substance he was busted for.

I mean, if he appealed back in Feb, that means the report has been out for going on 3 months. Most of us didn't even know he had an appeal in the works - I know *I* didn't.

And another thing:
Just how does this affect OTAs and T/C?? Who gets the first team reps? Would you still give Cush the bulk of the first team reps knowing he won't play until October??

Is Adalius Thomas still available?

gary
05-07-2010, 08:53 PM
try reading about the Steelers in the late 70's and 80's and sterioids .. rumor circulating why so many have died young ..

but I am not hating

my deal is that testing was done .. he has been tested before.(and I took the word of people before the draft) so what exactly is the substance?

so...if he knowingly took steriods....I will hate it

but was it part of something that needed some investigation of ingredients within a pill ?

so far I will go by what his dad and previous statements.(and that was after previous tests)

3rd post and link

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69398&highlight=cushing

AGAIN... if it was legit I will be disappointedI'd be upset too because not only used them but got caught. He knows the rules and the danger. If players know the danger they pose and just do not care than why should I? I am not trying to be harsh here or anything like that. But, what can I do about it? Zero.

Errant Hothy
05-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Has anyone seen a report on just what chemistry he had in his body? I find it strange that no one has "leaked" a lab report or anything containing just what substance he was busted for.

I mean, if he appealed back in Feb, that means the report has been out for going on 3 months. Most of us didn't even know he had an appeal in the works - I know *I* didn't.

And another thing:
Just how does this affect OTAs and T/C?? Who gets the first team reps? Would you still give Cush the bulk of the first team reps knowing he won't play until October??

Is Adalius Thomas still available?

He's only suspended for the first 4 games of the season, he can attend OTAs and T/C and play in the preseason games.

m5kwatts
05-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Its just 4 games, he'll come back with a huge chip on his shoulder. This team starts slow anyways if we can be 2-2 when he gets back facing that 4 game schedule, it'll be fine.

And why is there such vicious hate for the guy all the sudden? It was probably one of many legal supplements he takes and he assumed it would pass the test just like all his other supplements. If you yourself or know any people who train hard, they take many supplements. Its Cushing's fault for not asking the trainer to check on whatever he was taking, but I don't think the guy was shooting up in an alley behind Reliant stadium in a dark alley. Its more innocent and doesn't deserve the overreaction its getting.

By the way whose upset with the Darryl Sharpton pick now? Meet your opening day starting WILL.

ObsiWan
05-07-2010, 09:00 PM
He's only suspended for the first 4 games of the season, he can attend OTAs and T/C and play in the preseason games.

Yeah, I know he can participate in OTAs and T/C.
That's not my question.

If I'm the D.C. preparing for the opener against Manning and game two against McFive (who has something to prove), do I
(a) give Cushing lots of reps knowing full well, he won't be there,
or do I (b) give them to the guy who will fill that spot in those games?

How will the coaching staff play this is my question....

gary
05-07-2010, 09:01 PM
I wish he woud just confess because he is one of my favorites and I admire guys who tell the truth and say sorry JMO.

Texan4Ever
05-07-2010, 09:04 PM
This is just another scam by the NFL and the rest of the league to undermine the poweres of the Texans, they know we're good so there taking our best player away on defense. :wild:

:sarcasm:

gary
05-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Be like Andy P. admite it and it was over the next day just don't be like Roger.

Rey
05-07-2010, 09:06 PM
I just don't see how steroids would alter an NFL player very significantly. It's not going to make Cushing miss tackles because he's too weak now, dude still trains like a beast. As stated he has the football instincts. I doubt this is going to drastically change the way Cushing plays football, if anything he's just going to be more pissed and prove to people that he still is a beast.

If he didn't think he needed them why would he take them?

I think that it may affect him mentally more than anything. Initially when Cush gets back I don't expect him to be the same player he was for the better part of last season...But I don't expect him to all of a sudden become a mediocre player

Buffi2
05-07-2010, 09:13 PM

I think 'we' as a society just don't care anymore if people do drugs. I'm not saying that is good or bad - it just is.

I also don't think fans even consider records from the past being broken by someone on steroids. They just want to win today.

When it comes to the Texans, I can almost understand that sentiment.

TexansFight
05-07-2010, 09:17 PM
I hope that was sarcasm
or

If TerminatorFight owned the Texans we'd have already made the playoffs

wagonhed
05-07-2010, 09:20 PM
No wonder why Cushing always came back from injury so quick. We all that he was a beast, but it seems to be the steroids that made him a beast. Doesn't take away from his football instincts (which he showed were great), but hopefully his performance doesn't drop off too much.
No, it's his heart and his work ethic that makes him a beast. Hundreds of thousands, probably millions of people worldwide use steroids, but steroids are nothing without the kind of dedication Cushing puts into his game.

Steroids are nothing more than a tool, just like weight benches and blocking dummies.

Wolf
05-07-2010, 09:21 PM
If TerminatorFight owned the Texans we'd have already made the playoffs
(in Madden)
SnyderFight would be more like it
:joker:

False Start
05-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Did Shawne Merriman get the same punishment? It must be something about the number 56. ;)

Section516
05-07-2010, 09:24 PM
I feel like I just watched the Rosencopter game, a marathon of all colts games back to back, a entire game of the Jenkins>Myers play over and over, Jared Allens cheapie to Matt, and Kris Browns awful fieldgoals back to back to back in a constant loop.

Texan_Bill
05-07-2010, 09:25 PM
LMFAO!!! Same old shit, different stink with some posters.

gary
05-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I think 'we' as a society just don't care anymore if people do drugs. I'm not saying that is good or bad - it just is.

I also don't think fans even consider records from the past being broken by someone on steroids. They just want to win today.

When it comes to the Texans, I can almost understand that sentiment.i understand. Nice take on this subject.

drewmar74
05-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Just saw this and all I have to say is "Well, shhhheeeeeeyiiiiit."

wagonhed
05-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Personally I hope he goes right back to using them but doing it in a safer manner so he doesn't get caught.

I can absolutely guarantee you that a significant percentage of players at positions that require you to maintain a lot of muscle while staying pretty lean use steroids at least periodically throughout their career. LBs, DEs, and RBs are the positions that need it the most, and likely a lot of OL and DL use to maintain their huge muscle mass.

wagonhed
05-07-2010, 09:35 PM
It's the second time in the last five years that the reigning defensive rookie of the year has been suspended for performance-enhancing drugs; Shawne Merriman won the award in 2005 and was suspended in 2006. Although Merriman was selected to the Pro Bowl after the 2006 season, a rule passed in response to Merriman's Pro Bowl selection prohibits players suspended during the regular season from being selected to the Pro Bowl.

So Cushing, who was selected to the Pro Bowl after 2009, won't be a Pro Bowler next season.
suck

gary
05-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Has he basically gone into hiding or what?

devo-x
05-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Hmm ..No other details about this? Why was he allowed to play last year if he violated the NFL policy?

I want to hear Cushing's explanation first

JB
05-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Its just 4 games, he'll come back with a huge chip on his shoulder. This team starts slow anyways if we can be 2-2 when he gets back facing that 4 game schedule, it'll be fine.
And why is there such vicious hate for the guy all the sudden? It was probably one of many legal supplements he takes and he assumed it would pass the test just like all his other supplements. If you yourself or know any people who train hard, they take many supplements. Its Cushing's fault for not asking the trainer to check on whatever he was taking, but I don't think the guy was shooting up in an alley behind Reliant stadium in a dark alley. Its more innocent and doesn't deserve the overreaction its getting.

By the way whose upset with the Darryl Sharpton pick now? Meet your opening day starting WILL.

And if we're 0-4 because our run defense stinks? What will you think then?

gary
05-07-2010, 09:38 PM
I hope he has not messed up his status for the HOF if he does indeed make it that far.

NitroGSXR
05-07-2010, 09:42 PM
And if we're 0-4 because our run defense stinks? What will you think then?

We're cold starters. We don't know how to start with a bang. I fully expected us to start 0-4 anyway. Losing Cushing makes no difference there.

wagonhed
05-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Honestly except for the INT Cushing played his worst games against the Colts. He just has to cover Clark all day and that doesn't turn out very well.

gary
05-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Nitro has lots of faith. LOL.

Goatcheese
05-07-2010, 09:45 PM
He should take it to the courts IMO. The Williams Wall got busted 2 years ago and still haven't missed a down. Atleast you can put the suspension off until 2012 when there won't be any playoffs due to the end of the world.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/05/vikings-williams-wall-facing-nfl-suspension.html

Wolf
05-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Clark is a hard one to cover.. who doesn't he make look like a hard matchup?

thunderkyss
05-07-2010, 09:49 PM
What if he can't play without the juice?

gary
05-07-2010, 09:51 PM
What if he can't play without the juice?then, he better learn how to hide it.

JMacaroni
05-07-2010, 09:55 PM
No, it's his heart and his work ethic that makes him a beast. Hundreds of thousands, probably millions of people worldwide use steroids, but steroids are nothing without the kind of dedication Cushing puts into his game.

Steroids are nothing more than a tool, just like weight benches and blocking dummies.

ya heard?

NitroGSXR
05-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Nitro has lots of faith. LOL.

1-15. You heard it here first.

gary
05-07-2010, 09:58 PM
This just sucks.

TexansFanatic
05-07-2010, 09:59 PM
What if he can't play without the juice?

That's what I'm wondering.

Texan_Bill
05-07-2010, 09:59 PM
1-15. You heard it here first.

1-15??? You and me gonna fight!!! ;)

gary
05-07-2010, 10:00 PM
1-15. You heard it here first.Wow, alrighty now.

NitroGSXR
05-07-2010, 10:01 PM
1-15??? You and me gonna fight!!! ;)

I made you a present. Actually, it's for the Blue Crew but I'm giving it to you first.

BIG TORO
05-07-2010, 10:03 PM
This is so ***** up I cant believe this **** we nedded that son of **** in the first four ****** games. I am so ****** pissed. What the ****, I wanted him to knock the piss out of some cowboys, and colts, **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **** &****! There I feel better!

Texan_Bill
05-07-2010, 10:05 PM
I made you a present. Actually, it's for the Blue Crew but I'm giving it to you first.

This makes me happy! :)

:thinking: Well maybe.... you devious son of a *****!! ;)

awtysst
05-07-2010, 10:05 PM
A tough blow to begin the season.

Is it a 1 fail and you get 4 or does this mean he has failed a previous test?

Wolf
05-07-2010, 10:06 PM
well Tate and the running game might have to extend a drive or two to keep the defense off the field
:kitten:

Lucky
Personally I hope he goes right back to using them but doing it in a safer manner so he doesn't get caught.
:facepalm:

I fully expected us to start 0-4 anyway. Losing Cushing makes no difference there.
It was probably one of many legal supplements he takes

I don't know what's worse. The news about Cushing's failed test and suspension. Or Texans fans' reaction to the news. I'll say this: If Cushing were a Titan and been busted, he would have been bashed here unmercifully. And deservedly so. But because he's a Texan, we make excuse after excuse. Sad.

BullNation4Life
Now the Sharpton pick makes more sense.

Maybe the Texans knew something we didn't with that pick. They may have foreseen this coming since Cushing supposedly appealed in February and lost...

Second Honeymoon
They took a risk and it blew up in our face
I will give them credit for taking a risk

however this is just another notch in smithiak's book of epic fails

so much for building through the draft
complacent penny pinching clueless front office and coaching staff

Wolf
05-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I should have put my tin foil hat on before this thread

gary
05-07-2010, 10:08 PM
This makes me happy! :)

:thinking: Well maybe.... you devious son of a *****!! ;)
An 8 X 10 autographed photo of David Carr?

Wolf
05-07-2010, 10:09 PM

oh my goodness

TheRealJoker
Sharpton and Adibi should be a spirited competition for WILL in TC.

We're very fortunate to have such a versatile team player in Diles who will move over to SAM and be solid until Cushing comes back. If the WILL can be solid too then that will go a long way in helping us.

One thing is for sure, Ben Tate is gonna need to grow up awfully quick now. With Cushing out the first 4 games we need a serious running game and we need a back that can get us the tough yards and convert redzone opportunities into TDs.

Lucky
A tough blow to begin the season.

Is it a 1 fail and you get 4 or does this mean he has failed a previous test?
I believe for performance enhancing drugs, it's one failed test=4 game suspension. A player has to flunk 3 recreational drug tests before earning a suspension.

Texan_Bill
05-07-2010, 10:13 PM

I just lost my ****ing buzz, and I'm someone that wasn't really sold on Cushing until after the season...

Work your typical anti Smith and Kubiak rhertoric. The old posters know what you're about, so please show the new posters you're agenda so that they can follow along.... That'd be good.

JMacaroni

I don't know what's worse. The news about Cushing's failed test and suspension. Or Texans fans' reaction to the news. I'll say this: If Cushing were a Titan and been busted, he would have been bashed here unmercifully. And deservedly so. But because he's a Texan, we make excuse after excuse. Sad.

Actually it's going back and forth, but yeah it's the way it goes. Steroids or not, I'd rather him play here than the Titans.

Allstar

CloakNNNdagger
05-07-2010, 10:14 PM
As there may be questions as to the exact policy and its wording, I present the official NFLPA link for The Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances 2009 (http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/images/oldImages/fck/2009%20Steroid%20Policy.pdf)

xreadx
05-07-2010, 10:14 PM

i dont recall cush ever not being pissed off...this effin sucks...i heard the news via twitter while i was eating and txted my cowboy fans telling the parade will be tommorow at 6pm starting at jerryworld

NitroGSXR
05-07-2010, 10:15 PM

Really? Do you want to buy my altered Brian Cushing jersey (no it's not really for sale)? My point? Eff Brian Cushing and his 'roided ass. Personally? I don't get the big deal about banning steroids and all that but he just cost us 4 games. That's the bottom line and I'm ticked off as a paying season ticket holder.

BullNation4Life
05-07-2010, 10:15 PM

yes and yes. Steroids make the body heal allot faster than normal, as you probably have heard over and over during the baseball seasons. Had Cushing not taken them, my "educated guess" would be he would have been out longer with nagging injuries. It was well documented and he has said so himself that he has always played with injuries. Now we may know how he played through them all these years....

Maybe the Texans were knew this was coming, thus the Sharpton pick in the draft.

Wolf
05-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Houston Frog.... did Joppru have issues in college?

how about Frank gore? two blown knees in college..Nfl?

JMacaroni
05-07-2010, 10:17 PM
I just lost my ****ing buzz, and I'm someone that wasn't really sold on Cushing until after the season...

Work your typical anti Smith and Kubiak rhertoric. The old posters know what you're about, so please show the new posters you're agenda so that they can follow along.... That'd be good.

Exactly. Just work on your buzz a little harder to stay a step ahead.

gary
05-07-2010, 10:18 PM
I am going to start blaming the Texans for terror attacks, the stock market, the border problem, and my hamburger being cold.

NitroGSXR
05-07-2010, 10:19 PM
An 8 X 10 autographed photo of David Carr?

:slapfight:

BullNation4Life
05-07-2010, 10:21 PM
did Joppru have issues in college?

no. Joppru was medically sound coming out of Michigan. Wasn't until he was on the Texans he caught the injury bug. that maybe because he was a backup for 3 years before lighting it up his Senior year...

had he played sooner, he may have become injury prone at Michigan...

gary
05-07-2010, 10:23 PM
:slapfight:TB said he wants to tape to his toliet seat so you have to talk to him about it.

Spled
We didn't bring him in to be a choirboy. We brought him in to be a beast. He's just going to have to workout clean from now on.

steelbtexan
Now we know why Sharpton was drafted.

Playoff-No excuses

Texan_Bill
05-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Exactly. Just work on your buzz a little harder to stay a step ahead.

Apparenlty I have to... Everytime SH and the rest of the "pink soapers" come out, I have to drink twice as much...

JMacaroni
05-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Regardless, he still helped change the whole identity of the defense. I found myself enjoying defense more than offense last year. Speedbump to start the season only to be stronger by playoffs.

Wolf
05-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Now we know why Sharpton was drafted.

Playoff-No excuses

so why was the DT drafted in the 3rd? amobi showing up with roids too?

I figure it is BPA after the 2nd

JMacaroni
05-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Apparenlty I have to... Everytime SH and the rest of the "pink soapers" come out, I have to drink twice as much...

I hear ya...I'll be passed out by 9:45

Wolf
05-07-2010, 10:31 PM
I don't want any beer, but I am thinking about it seriously

I might want a hardhat, the way some are describing the sky is falling

Thorn
05-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Jesus H. Pot Smoking Christ, yall are SO over reacting to this.

Teams lose players all the time for various reasons, we lost damn near half our starting O line last year. It happens. That's why you have backups.

Yeah, Cushing will be missed, OD sure as hell was. It's part of the game folks. Besides, where's the lab report? What exactly was he taking? Where's his press conferance for us to hear his side of the story?

Give the guy a break, will ya?

beerlover
05-07-2010, 10:41 PM
suspected such but hoped it wasn't true. the rest should serve him well moving forward clean, biggest question will be how his teammates respond :pop:

blitz90
05-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Damnit! We need him to crush those arrogant, holier-than-thou Cowboys in week 3. Hope they can draw up a helluva defensive game plan!
Adibi has shown flashes and Bentley can hold his own, who knows about Sharpton.
Our pass rush and secondary better step up!!

dalemurphy
05-07-2010, 10:44 PM

Lame.

The issue isn't about morality. It's about protecting the integrity of the game. Of course rape is more despicable. However, it doesn't give Roethlisburger an unfair playing advantage. The NFL doesn't want to turn into pro wrestling or baseball. Integrity of the product is important.

devo-x
05-07-2010, 10:49 PM

Teams lose players all the time for various reasons, we lost damn near half our starting O line last year. It happens. That's why you have backups.

Yeah, Cushing will be missed, OD sure as hell was. It's part of the game folks. Besides, where's the lab report? What exactly was he taking? Where's his press conferance for us to hear his side of the story?

:goodpost:
Let's wait until Brian has told his side of the story - Don't overreact

gary
05-07-2010, 10:51 PM
The issue isn't about morality. It's about protecting the integrity of the game. Of course rape is more despicable. However, it doesn't give Roethlisburger an unfair playing advantage. The NFL doesn't want to turn into pro wrestling or baseball. Integrity of the product is important.That is why I posted that question I posted.

NitroGSXR
05-07-2010, 10:53 PM
:goodpost:
Let's wait until Brian has told his side of the story - Don't overreact

His failed test told me his side of the story. He can take his small peepee and go sword fighting with wagonhed.

pbat488
05-07-2010, 10:53 PM

Yeah, a defensive ROY really blew up in their face..

If he doesn't ever play a down of football again, then you can say they blew the pick; but seriously, get out of your ****ing bizzaro world of hating the Texans FO and realize that Cushing is one of the main reasons we didn't end up 4-12 last season.

Good riddance.

As for the actual meaning of the thread; I hope Cush can learn from this experience and grow because of it to become a more complete player and person. I won't ever accuse until the evidence is staring me in the face, but I have a feeling if he truly did get caught, it would be HGH instead of steroids. With all the injuries he played through, wouldn't HGH be a much more viable option with all it's supposed recovery benefits?

Texan_Bill
05-07-2010, 10:58 PM

:) My man!!

ObsiWan
05-07-2010, 10:59 PM

I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed that. Now it hasn't been 100% acceptance, some posters have expressed disappointment.

I still want to know which chemical cocktail he was busted for before I come down on one side or the other.

If it was diuretics like the Williams' and those guys from the Saints were busted for, I can sympathize with him. But if it was straight up 'roids, that's not so forgivable.

JMacaroni
05-07-2010, 10:59 PM
His failed test told me his side of the story. He can take his small peepee and go sword fighting with wagonhed.

I really hope you're not just inhaling all that NOS

Goatcheese
05-07-2010, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't worry about Cushing getting injured. He'll just drink some milk and he'll be ok. amirite?

gtexan02
05-07-2010, 11:11 PM
I was talking to a doctor friend of mine about Cushing last Christmas. He told me everyone knew Cushing was on roids. Anyone with any medical knowledge could tell, it was just a matter of time before he was caught.

He said people dont sustain the injuries that Cushing had without roids being involved.

Guess he was right.

gtexan02
05-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Is anyone else TERRIFIED that he'll end up like Merriman?

Pre bust - 18 sacks

Post bust - benched or cut. He had almost as many sacks in his roid years as he did tackles last year.

We DO NOT know the real Cushing at all. What we know is roided Cushing. The real Cushing could suck.

JB
05-07-2010, 11:13 PM

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx307/TexanJB/smileys/bsflag.gif

NitroGSXR
05-07-2010, 11:13 PM
I really hope you're not just inhaling all that NOS

Roges? Rudes? How come I can't say that word.

Roads!!

Rowads! That's a weird word, isn't it?

Ryan
05-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Even an average Cushing is better than most LBs out there. Demeco will coach him up again.

Brisco_County
05-07-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't see Cushing descending to the route of mediocrity that Shawne Merriman took. Even if Cush isn't juicing, he still has a rare work ethic, even by pro athlete standards. He'll need it in 2010, because he'll have a lot to prove.

JB
05-07-2010, 11:17 PM

Good post! NO need we should all :panic:

gtexan02
05-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Even an average Cushing is better than most LBs out there. Demeco will coach him up again.

I don't see Cushing descending to the route of mediocrity that Shawne Merriman took. Even if Cush isn't juicing, he still has a rare work ethic, even by pro athlete standards. He'll need it in 2010, because he'll have a lot to prove.

You guys are delusional. Steroids provide an incredible amount of advantage.

The Brian Cushing we saw was a product of roids, roids, roids, and football player.

Who knows what will appear on the other side.

What famous athlete can you show me who has been suspended for steroids and then come back just as strong after?

CloakNNNdagger
05-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Cushing's steroid gendre (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsFBYq_h_J0) could change into an unrecognizable docile figure.

Texan_Bill
05-07-2010, 11:20 PM

Pre bust - 18 sacks

Post bust - benched or cut. He had almost as many sacks in his roid years as he did tackles last year.

We DO NOT know the real Cushing at all. What we know is roided Cushing. The real Cushing could suck.

I wouldn't say that I was terrified, but if you check my posting history, you would see that I was skeptical.....

That said, I was also, man enough --- to man-up during the season and admit, that I was pleasantly surprised how a USC player lived up to the hype.

I bought in......

Let's see where it goes from here.

Buffi2
05-07-2010, 11:22 PM

That is the thing with sports fans in general, Texan fans specifically and why I love them. You can always count on rational, logical responses to any given situation.:sarcasm: We fans don't overreact or go off the deep end - not us - nosirree.

We don't think there might be a reason to panic - we know damned well there is every reason to panic, fire everyone except the water boy and we aren't too sure about him. While we are at it - might as well stomp on Cushing since he has already caused us to lose the first 4 games before they are even played.

I just love Texan fans!..and that is the truth - not sarcastic.

Texans_Chick
05-07-2010, 11:24 PM
We're very fortunate to have such a versatile team player in Diles who will move over to SAM and be solid until Cushing comes back. If the WILL can be solid too then that will go a long way in helping us.

Do we have a vomit emoticon. The thought of the linebacker group without last year's Cushing makes me nauseated. They barely held it together WITH him.

gtexan02
05-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Im just so disappointed.

I had already chalked up Cushing to HOF status. He was the complete package at LB.

gtexan02
05-07-2010, 11:26 PM
Do we have a vomit emoticon. The thought of the linebacker group without last year's Cushing makes me nauseated. They barely held it together WITH him.

Cushing could potentially never come back to the same level pre-steroid bust.

They are called performance enhancing drugs.

Which means the performance we saw was enhanced.

Cushing cheated.

The performance we see next year will be a step down. They aren't performance stabilizing drugs. They make you better. He probably will be worse when he comes back

Thorn
05-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Cushing will never come back to the same level pre-steroid bust.

They are called performance ENHANCING drugs.

Which means the performance we saw was ENHANCED.

Cushing CHEATED.

The performance we see next year will be a step down. They aren't performance stabilizing drugs. They make you better. He WILL Be worse when he comes back

I take you've read the lab report then?

This thread really disappoints me. But then, I'm a Houston sports fan so I'm used to it.

gtexan02
05-07-2010, 11:32 PM
I take you've read the lab report then?

This thread really disappoints me. But then, I'm a Houston sports fan so I'm used to it.

Come on, I just heard. Im still in freak out mode. Im sure I'll calm down eventually.

Much beers + this news is a real downer.

Why are you disappointed/ With Cushing or the fans?

Thorn
05-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Come on, I just heard. Im still in freak out mode. Im sure I'll calm down eventually.

Much beers + this news is a real downer.

Why are you disappointed/ With Cushing or the fans?

The fans, for now. Until I hear Cushing's explination of what happened, I'm holding off judgement of him.

As for beer, I wish I was having some tonight, but I have to work tomorrow. Tomorrow night though, I'll be sloshed. You might want to compare my posts tonight with what I do tomorrow night so you can throw them in my face on Sunday. LOL

Hardcore Texan
05-07-2010, 11:36 PM

I can absolutely guarantee you that a significant percentage of players at positions that require you to maintain a lot of muscle while staying pretty lean use steroids at least periodically throughout their career. LBs, DEs, and RBs are the positions that need it the most, and likely a lot of OL and DL use to maintain their huge muscle mass.

Wow, effin wow! Is that really how you think? :gun:

gtexan02
05-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Gotta love it.

"I've passed every drug test out there and still have," Cushing said during his 2009 draft news conference. "I'm not that kind of guy."

LonerATO
05-07-2010, 11:38 PM
I bet this thread gets around 30 pages of nothing but "Cush was my hero." "God we suck!" "F you Cush!" "Roid user and abuser." and "Why cant NFLN every get the right person/info on the screen when it comes to the Texans."

ChampionTexan
05-07-2010, 11:41 PM

Pre bust (make that pre-suspension since I don't know when he tested positive any more than anyone else does) - 18.5 sacks in 22 games

Post bust - (see previous suspension disclaimer) 21 sacks in 20 games, then he blew out his knee before being benched or cut. He had almost as many sacks in his roid years as he did tackles last year after the knee injury.

Fixed!

HoustonFrog
05-07-2010, 11:55 PM

Thank God for you. If this was a Cowboy or rival it would b the typical stuff. But now it is no big deal. This guy had these rumors to start so it was a possibility. You hope lessons are learned for the player

keyser
05-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (and I really don't know this for sure), but don't suspensions only come after a second positive test? I might be totally off, here, but I thought the first positive drug test was only probation. If so, that would make this his second positive. In either case, I'm pretty sure that another positive would be a 1 year suspension, which means he'll be on the edge for the rest of his career.

This might have been covered earlier - I haven't read all 12 pages.

Oh, my hatred of the Sharpton pick has now almost completely dissipated.

mariowillshine15
05-08-2010, 12:09 AM
This sucks but it's not the end of the world.

I won't judge until i know what it is he took. Hopefully he comes back and shows it wasnt the substance that made him a beast.

Bring on the Colts. Go ahead and underrate us now.

We'll be ready.

hookinreds
05-08-2010, 12:13 AM
You guys are delusional. Steroids provide an incredible amount of advantage.

The Brian Cushing we saw was a product of roids, roids, roids, and football player.

Who knows what will appear on the other side.

What famous athlete can you show me who has been suspended for steroids and then come back just as strong after?

Best post yet.

CloakNNNdagger
05-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (and I really don't know this for sure), but don't suspensions only come after a second positive test? I might be totally off, here, but I thought the first positive drug test was only probation. If so, that would make this his second positive. In either case, I'm pretty sure that another positive would be a 1 year suspension, which means he'll be on the edge for the rest of his career.

This might have been covered earlier - I haven't read all 12 pages.

Oh, my hatred of the Sharpton pick has now almost completely dissipated.

You are thinking of the DRUG POLICY as opposed to the Steroid Policy.

TexansFight
05-08-2010, 12:20 AM

Maybe you wouldn't have to drink so much and Pink Soapers like myself, steelbtexan and Second Honeymoon wouldn't be so damn irritable if McNair wasn't clueless and his complacent Smithiak regime did their damn jobs and gets us a damn playoff berth.

I am sick of the excuses and the color coded game day gimmicks and other BS. Give us a God damned playoff team. It shouldn't take a decade to get there.

scourge
05-08-2010, 12:22 AM
I haven't sifted through this entire thread yet, but has it been made known what it was yet??? A diuretic is considered a PED just like anabolic steroids... what exactly was he on?

I'm not trying to blindly jump to his defense in any way. He should have ******* known better. But I would ask this regardless of what team a player was on.

CloakNNNdagger
05-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Jay Glazer speaks on Brian Cushing suspension (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/07/jay-glazer-speaks-on-brian-cushing-suspension/)

When a player is suspended for violating the steroids policy, it's not out of the ordinary for his team to issue a statement. It is unusual, however, for an NFL insider who doubles as a mixed martial arts personal trainer to offer up his two cents.

But as FOX's Jay Glazer spends more and more time with more and more players in the offseason, it makes sense for him to have a reaction when one of his MMA pupils gets popped for cheating.

"I can't pass judgment until after I talk to Brian," Glazer said. "I really hope the allegations aren't true. My partner Randy Couture and I -- and the program we created -- are all about outworking everybody else in the league, not taking shortcuts. I can tell you this in my time working with Brian -- I loved it. We really bonded. I expect to hear from Brian tonight."

The "allegations" seem to be true. Cushing has been suspended four games for violating the steroids policy. Per the reports, he has exercised his appeal rights, and the appeal has failed.

The only unknown is the identity of the substance found in his system. But the problem with the confidentiality of the steroids policy is that Cushing or anyone else who tests positive can claim that he took a tainted supplement or otherwise accidentally ingested one of the many non-steroids that appear on the list of banned substances, even if the player actually was knowingly and intentionally using steroids.

So if/when Glazer gets in touch with Cushing, nothing stops Cushing from claiming that he didn't actually take steroids, even if he really did.

Koolaid Time
05-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Hey, at least Cushing didn't rape a 16 year old girl or corner a woman in a bathroom.

cuppacoffee
05-08-2010, 12:37 AM
I haven't read all the pages on this thread so maybe my question has already been answered but:

It appears that he took whatever it was he took while he was still part of the dirty usc program. Question...Have other drafted players been suspended by the league for something they did in college, ie, before becoming a member (being drafted) of the nfl. Or has Cushing tested positive since being in the nfl?

Not defending his actions, just asking a question.

:coffee:

The Pencil Neck
05-08-2010, 12:40 AM
I have to admit, I've known a lot of people that have taken a lot of steroids.

IF Brian took steroids (and he may not have, he may have tested positive for a masking agent or something or a variety of other things), I'm not really that worried about that part of it. Personally, I think every pro athlete out there that really wants to win is constantly on the look out for ways to improve their performance. That includes drugs. And supplements. And diet regimens. And weight training regiments. Etc.

What I don't know is what he was taking and how much and for how long. I don't know what effect his going off the steroids is going to have on him IF (again, IF) he was taking anything. It's entirely possible that he'll be the same exact player after this that he was before this and it's entirely possible that he won't. We won't know until we see him on the field.

A professional athlete should know the things that are going to set off a positive test result and they should know better than to do those things. And it bothers me that he did something that set off a positive test result. With all the scrutiny he's been under, it couldn't have been a surprise that he was going to be tested. And he should be smart enough not to test positive. That's what bothers me the most.

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 12:43 AM
I wonder if Cushing's having a 'roid rage tantrum right now. I feel bad for his hotel/bedroom tonight.

Section516
05-08-2010, 12:46 AM
I wonder...

What mecos thinking right now