PDA

View Full Version : Cushing suspended 4 games for violating policy on performance-enhancing substances

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

BSofA04
05-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Very disappointing news to say the least. This week has gone from extreamely crappy to shitty. Hpe it gets better this weekend.

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 12:49 AM
I wonder...

What mecos thinking right now

I hope it's not...

Shit. I better call my agent...

DerekLee1
05-08-2010, 01:08 AM
The front office has obviously known about this since February. I was scratching my head at the Sharpton pick THEN, but it makes sense now. I'm incredibly disappointed, but I'll reserve opinion until we hear from Cush. He's such a freak about what goes into his body, which is why this is such a surprise. According to the NFL, the rules say the league doesn’t disclose what a player tests positive for. Cushing could have tested positive for steroids, other performance-enhancing drugs, a diuretic or nutritional supplements that are banned by the league.

It may not have been 'roids, but still a "banned" substance.

Total bummer, though, no matter the outcome.

TexCanada
05-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Unbelievable, I was hoping this was a joke when I saw this. How stupid do you have to be to do something like this? I sure hope there is a reasonable explanation, but I don't think its likely at this point. Turns out LB was a need in the draft after all.

DerekLee1
05-08-2010, 01:12 AM
I haven't sifted through this entire thread yet, but has it been made known what it was yet??? A diuretic is considered a PED just like anabolic steroids... what exactly was he on?

I'm not trying to blindly jump to his defense in any way. He should have ******* known better. But I would ask this regardless of what team a player was on.

NFL policy prohibits the league from revealing what he tested positive for. Cushing can "admit" to whatever he wants, or claim he took something unknowingly, but only the NFL knows the truth. Unless someone leaks it, we'll never know the whole truth.

TexCanada
05-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Does anything happen to the awards that he won last year?

LonerATO
05-08-2010, 01:17 AM
I haven't sifted through this entire thread yet, but has it been made known what it was yet??? A diuretic is considered a PED just like anabolic steroids... what exactly was he on?

I'm not trying to blindly jump to his defense in any way. He should have ******* known better. But I would ask this regardless of what team a player was on.

That is possible

LonerATO
05-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Thank God for you. If this was a Cowboy or rival it would b the typical stuff. But now it is no big deal. This guy had these rumors to start so it was a possibility. You hope lessons are learned for the player

I would venture to say that most people on here already assume that the guy is nothing more then roid talent

Grid
05-08-2010, 01:24 AM
Ya know.. I was really disappointed when I heard this news...obviously.

I really wanted to believe that cushing was just a beast of an athlete and a future hall of famer for the Texans...

Honestly though.. even though this makes me worry about his future, and his performance, this doesnt change my feelings on him and this team. As of right now, he is still a young superstar linebacker. Jumping to conclusions and saying that steroid use is the source of all of his success just isnt fair to cushing.

And really...I WANT to believe that he will be cleaned up and continue to dominate the league without the help of steroids. So thats what im going to believe..until he proves otherwise.

I hope that the other Texans fans out there will adopt a similar stance on it. He is a kid.. he made mistakes.. lets not throw him to the wolves because of it. Lets support him and hope that some of the leaders on this team will make sure he stays on the straight and narrow from now on.

This is a huge disappointment.. but its not the end of Cushing's career unless he MAKES it the end of his career. Steroids are a shortcut...everything he has done as a football player is not because he was on steroids. They may have helped but he didnt inject "probowl linebacker" into his veins. He can still do it the right way, and be just as good as he was before. He just needs to work his ass off... which from everything I have seen of him so far, he has no issues with hard work.

phantom17
05-08-2010, 01:39 AM
Ya know.. I was really disappointed when I heard this news...obviously.

I really wanted to believe that cushing was just a beast of an athlete and a future hall of famer for the Texans...

Honestly though.. even though this makes me worry about his future, and his performance, this doesnt change my feelings on him and this team. As of right now, he is still a young superstar linebacker. Jumping to conclusions and saying that steroid use is the source of all of his success just isnt fair to cushing.

And really...I WANT to believe that he will be cleaned up and continue to dominate the league without the help of steroids. So thats what im going to believe..until he proves otherwise.

I hope that the other Texans fans out there will adopt a similar stance on it. He is a kid.. he made mistakes.. lets not throw him to the wolves because of it. Lets support him and hope that some of the leaders on this team will make sure he stays on the straight and narrow from now on.

This is a huge disappointment.. but its not the end of Cushing's career unless he MAKES it the end of his career. Steroids are a shortcut...everything he has done as a football player is not because he was on steroids. They may have helped but he didnt inject "probowl linebacker" into his veins. He can still do it the right way, and be just as good as he was before. He just needs to work his ass off... which from everything I have seen of him so far, he has no issues with hard work.

Grid- I agree! Give the kid some slack! He is a hard worker with great work ethics, & I think will do just fine without the roids! I hope in the long run, will make him stronger & humble as a person.

ChrisG
05-08-2010, 01:46 AM
Does anything happen to the awards that he won last year?

^Depending on exactly when he tested positive

I was about 10 seconds from canceling my Cushing jersey order. But that was when I was in shock. I sat there in my car with my mouth open for a good 5 minutes when i heard the news. Hopefully Cushing has a good explanation. I really liked this guy.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 02:07 AM
So much bullshit in this thread. I should probably just leave the board for a few days and ignore it all but I'm not gonna. I'm pissed about Cushing and I'm even more pissed about all the stupid-ass reactions and ignorance in this thread.

yes and yes. Steroids make the body heal allot faster than normal, as you probably have heard over and over during the baseball seasons. Had Cushing not taken them, my "educated guess" would be he would have been out longer with nagging injuries.
FALSE. Steroids do not increase the rate at which injuries heal. In fact, many experienced steroid users work out LESS often while using. Steroids do not heal bone, ligament, tendon, or scar tissue.

The issue isn't about morality. It's about protecting the integrity of the game. Of course rape is more despicable. However, it doesn't give Roethlisburger an unfair playing advantage. The NFL doesn't want to turn into pro wrestling or baseball. Integrity of the product is important.
There IS no integrity in pro sports. Everyone freaking uses. Brian Cushing isn't the only LB in the league to use steroids. He is just one that was dumb enough to get caught (****ing hell). This is just like the "security theatre" in airports. Pretend like you are doing something when you know you aren't doing shit. Steroids are everywhere in this sport and all the others. The unfair advantage would be to NOT use them.

His failed test told me his side of the story. He can take his small peepee and go sword fighting with wagonhed.
You're 33 years old, have a child, and still act like this? Wow.

I won't ever accuse until the evidence is staring me in the face, but I have a feeling if he truly did get caught, it would be HGH instead of steroids. With all the injuries he played through, wouldn't HGH be a much more viable option with all it's supposed recovery benefits?
I bet you if we find out the substance it will be a testosterone derivative. I'm just gonna come out and say it, it wasn't a diuretic or whatever else. And yes, HGH actually does have the injury and recovery benefits that people falsey think steroids do.

But if it was straight up 'roids, that's not so forgivable.
Why is it not so forgivable? Maybe you didn't see the things I saw in college and whatnot, and don't realize how widespread steroids are. But let me tell you. Steroids are EVERYWHERE in college football, and I don't have any actual experience to know this but basically everyone that pays attention knows that they are EVERYWHERE in pro football too.

He told me everyone knew Cushing was on roids. Anyone with any medical knowledge could tell, it was just a matter of time before he was caught.

He said people dont sustain the injuries that Cushing had without roids being involved.
Finally someone that knows what they are talking about. That's right, steroids actually increase the risk of injury in many ways. Cushing being on steroids would be the reason he got hurt, not the reason he recovered from injuries faster.

We DO NOT know the real Cushing at all. What we know is roided Cushing. The real Cushing could suck.
Now this is just bullshit. You are overreacting and clearly know nothing about what steroids do. The "real" Cushing is the exact same thing we know but 245lbs instead of 265. Steroids don't affect your football instincts or your personality.

Dude weighs freaking 265lbs. If he lost 25 imagine how fast he would be. He'd probably be better in coverage, but not as good at taking on and shedding OL blocks. 240-250 would be better for his longterm health and injuries anyway.

You guys are delusional. Steroids provide an incredible amount of advantage.

The Brian Cushing we saw was a product of roids, roids, roids, and football player.
Seriously, where are you getting this from? Making up shit because you're mad doesn't make it true. Yes steroids help you build muscle but in the NFL they aren't providing any kind of advantage because everyone ****ing takes them. Ask any person that has ever used them and they will tell you that steroids are absolutely nothing without the right training and work ethic. One of the most widely accepted anecdotes about steroids is that the gains you make from a steroid cycle are 10% about the drugs and 90% about the diet.

Wow, effin wow! Is that really how you think? :gun:
Just bury your head back in the sand and pretend that everyone is clean and the best players aren't the ones who use every opportunity they can to get an edge. Then you can continue to be outraged over this.

What I don't know is what he was taking and how much and for how long. I don't know what effect his going off the steroids is going to have on him IF (again, IF) he was taking anything. It's entirely possible that he'll be the same exact player after this that he was before this and it's entirely possible that he won't. We won't know until we see him on the field.

A professional athlete should know the things that are going to set off a positive test result and they should know better than to do those things. And it bothers me that he did something that set off a positive test result. With all the scrutiny he's been under, it couldn't have been a surprise that he was going to be tested. And he should be smart enough not to test positive. That's what bothers me the most.
EXACTLY.

Again, my guess is he popped for testosterone. Assuming he "stops" using (assuming the results aren't from his USC days and he is actually using now), worst case scenario is he loses 20lbs of muscle and becomes a svelt 245lb linebacker with ridiculous motor and instincts.

And yes, what you said is exactly what worries me and pisses me off about this.

eriadoc
05-08-2010, 02:12 AM
So much bullshit in this thread. I should probably just leave the board for a few days and ignore it all but I'm not gonna. I'm pissed about Cushing and I'm even more pissed about all the stupid-ass reactions and ignorance in this thread.

Dude cheated, plain and simple. If your best rationalization is "everyone else does it" then that's weak, and they're evidently better at cheating than he is.

I agree with some of your points, but none of it gets past the point that he did it to himself. All the reasons, rationalizations, and excuses don't matter. He cheated.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 02:21 AM
Dude cheated, plain and simple. If your best rationalization is "everyone else does it" then that's weak, and they're evidently better at cheating than he is.

I agree with some of your points, but none of it gets past the point that he did it to himself. All the reasons, rationalizations, and excuses don't matter. He cheated.
I'm not saying he shouldn't be suspended, or that he wasn't stupid as all hell. All of the above. And yes, he cheated, but don't expect me to be morally outraged about it. He deserves 4 games for being too stupid to avoid testing positive, but I'm not going to pretend he had some advantage that everyone else didn't, and that that's the only reason he was any good.

eriadoc
05-08-2010, 02:26 AM
I'm not saying he shouldn't be suspended, or that he wasn't stupid as all hell. All of the above. And yes, he cheated, but don't expect me to be morally outraged about it. He deserves 4 games for being too stupid to avoid testing positive, but I'm not going to pretend he had some advantage that everyone else didn't, and that that's the only reason he was any good.

I'm not morally outraged about it, but I am pissed that he has jeopardized the team's chances at winning those first 4 games. And again, it's all on him. As far as how good he is, maybe the steroids aren't the only reason he was any good, but I'm now in "Show Me" mode with him. His entire rookie season is a fraud as far as I'm concerned, until he proves otherwise.

I hope he does, because we need him.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 02:31 AM
I'm not morally outraged about it, but I am pissed that he has jeopardized the team's chances at winning those first 4 games. And again, it's all on him. As far as how good he is, maybe the steroids aren't the only reason he was any good, but I'm now in "Show Me" mode with him. His entire rookie season is a fraud as far as I'm concerned, until he proves otherwise.

I'm just as pissed as you are. I've had my Cushing jersey that I got last August on my wall since the end of the season and now I'm thinking about taking it down until he comes back from the suspension.

And yeah, I want to see what he does this year. All of us do. But I also don't pretend like his numbers last year don't count. There are hundreds of college linebackers juicing every year that could never come close to doing what Cushing did last year. His rookie season was legit regardless of what happens the rest of his career. Think about it. If steroids gave you such a huge advantage that it could make an average shmuck into an NFL pro bowler, literally everyone would take them. They just don't do all that much.

eriadoc
05-08-2010, 02:34 AM
I'm just as pissed as you are. I've had my Cushing jersey that I got last August on my wall since the end of the season and now I'm thinking about taking it down until he comes back from the suspension.

And yeah, I want to see what he does this year. All of us do. But I also don't pretend like his numbers last year don't count. There are hundreds of college linebackers juicing every year that could never come close to doing what Cushing did last year. His rookie season was legit regardless of what happens the rest of his career. Think about it. If steroids gave you such a huge advantage that it could make an average shmuck into an NFL pro bowler, literally everyone would take them. They just don't do all that much.

Conversely, if their absence can turn a guy's career around like Shawne Merriman, then we won't all have the same high opinion of him that we had. Merriman was one of the best LBs in the game on the 'roids, and now he's just a guy. So we'll see. After Manning, McNabb, and Romo carve us up in 3 of the first 4 games, anyway.

treduke
05-08-2010, 02:41 AM
damm i'm in need of a new sig!

powerfuldragon
05-08-2010, 02:42 AM
i won't feign outrage, because it's the NFL.. where else are you gonna see 30+ year olds with the acne of a 16 year old? i hope he comes back pissed off and ready to play.

eriadoc
05-08-2010, 02:43 AM
i won't feign outrage, because it's the NFL.. where else are you gonna see 30+ year olds with the acne of a 16 year old?

Yep - just pissed that he put the team in a bad spot.

noxiousdog
05-08-2010, 02:47 AM
Conversely, if their absence can turn a guy's career around like Shawne Merriman, then we won't all have the same high opinion of him that we had. Merriman was one of the best LBs in the game on the 'roids, and now he's just a guy. So we'll see. After Manning, McNabb, and Romo carve us up in 3 of the first 4 games, anyway.

Merriman sat out the first 4 games of 2006. When he came back, his performance was good enough that he finished third in the balloting for 2006 Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year.

In 2007, Merriman finished the season with 68 total tackles, with 54 solo and 14 assisted tackles, performing to his usual caliber by tallying 12.5 sacks.

2008 he tore knee ligaments, and last year was also injury riddled. The idea that he wasn't the same guy after steroids (well, after he got caught) is silly. The idea he wasn't the same after ripping up his knee is the correct story.

Norg
05-08-2010, 02:51 AM
If we lose the first for games it will not be becasue cush is not there it will be because the team sucked

Adabi & Bentely have been here for 2 years or more they have a chance to play all is not lost

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 02:54 AM

FALSE. Steroids do not increase the rate at which injuries heal. In fact, many experienced steroid users work out LESS often while using. Steroids do not heal bone, ligament, tendon, or scar tissue.

There IS no integrity in pro sports. Everyone freaking uses. Brian Cushing isn't the only LB in the league to use steroids. He is just one that was dumb enough to get caught (****ing hell). This is just like the "security theatre" in airports. Pretend like you are doing something when you know you aren't doing shit. Steroids are everywhere in this sport and all the others. The unfair advantage would be to NOT use them.

I bet you if we find out the substance it will be a testosterone derivative. I'm just gonna come out and say it, it wasn't a diuretic or whatever else. And yes, HGH actually does have the injury and recovery benefits that people falsey think steroids do.

Why is it not so forgivable? Maybe you didn't see the things I saw in college and whatnot, and don't realize how widespread steroids are. But let me tell you. Steroids are EVERYWHERE in college football, and I don't have any actual experience to know this but basically everyone that pays attention knows that they are EVERYWHERE in pro football too.

Finally someone that knows what they are talking about. That's right, steroids actually increase the risk of injury in many ways. Cushing being on steroids would be the reason he got hurt, not the reason he recovered from injuries faster.

Now this is just bullshit. You are overreacting and clearly know nothing about what steroids do. The "real" Cushing is the exact same thing we know but 245lbs instead of 265. Steroids don't affect your football instincts or your personality.

Dude weighs freaking 265lbs. If he lost 25 imagine how fast he would be. He'd probably be better in coverage, but not as good at taking on and shedding OL blocks. 240-250 would be better for his longterm health and injuries anyway.

Seriously, where are you getting this from? Making up shit because you're mad doesn't make it true. Yes steroids help you build muscle but in the NFL they aren't providing any kind of advantage because everyone ****ing takes them. Ask any person that has ever used them and they will tell you that steroids are absolutely nothing without the right training and work ethic. One of the most widely accepted anecdotes about steroids is that the gains you make from a steroid cycle are 10% about the drugs and 90% about the diet.

Just bury your head back in the sand and pretend that everyone is clean and the best players aren't the ones who use every opportunity they can to get an edge. Then you can continue to be outraged over this.

EXACTLY.

Again, my guess is he popped for testosterone. Assuming he "stops" using (assuming the results aren't from his USC days and he is actually using now), worst case scenario is he loses 20lbs of muscle and becomes a svelt 245lb linebacker with ridiculous motor and instincts.

Point of clarification... I have two boys.

kastofsna
05-08-2010, 02:59 AM
i'm fine with steroids, sucks the guy was busted

Jackie Chiles
05-08-2010, 03:03 AM
Hey, at least Cushing didn't rape a 16 year old girl or corner a woman in a bathroom.

Yeah, lets add up all the unrelated crap that Cushing didn't do to make it easier on ourselves. At least Cushing didn't just try to blow up Times Square, so hes got that going for him too. C'mon man, who gives a crap about charges against Ben that have absolutely no relation other than the fact that they are both in the NFL.

As for Cushing....

I hate that he misses the first 4 games of the season.
I hate that I don't know what was real and what was fake from his rookie season.

Most of all though I hate that he proved everyone right that said he was a user. The fact that he went out of his way to deny this and somehow managed to pass the combine test just pisses me off more. This is a black eye for him and the organization. There is a stain on his name now that will be with him to the day he retires.

I loved watching this guy play football last year and when he comes back I'll still be rooting for him but I will never feel the same way about him. I've lost that lovin' feeling and its just a shame.

Kulluminatii
05-08-2010, 03:19 AM
So we'll see. After Manning, McNabb, and Romo carve us up in 3 of the first 4 games, anyway.

http://www.bay-area-sports-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/jamarcus-russell.jpg

Oh wait...guess I can't use that pic now....since he's gone...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgFwiCApH7E

powerfuldragon
05-08-2010, 03:20 AM
I hate that I don't know what was real and what was fake from his rookie season.

the steroids told him which gaps to shoot. yes.

Malloy
05-08-2010, 04:16 AM
Apparenlty I have to... Everytime SH and the rest of the "pink soapers" come out, I have to drink twice as much...

So now we have the name, all we need is the band!

GuerillaBlack
05-08-2010, 05:05 AM
Thank God for you. If this was a Cowboy or rival it would b the typical stuff. But now it is no big deal. This guy had these rumors to start so it was a possibility. You hope lessons are learned for the player

Seriously? It's like that with every fanbase, including your Cowboys fanbase. A lot of you are acting like Cushing killed your family though. Step away from the ledge. It's disappointing that he used and got caught with whatever banned substance it was. But, his career isn't over...

AnthonyE
05-08-2010, 06:23 AM
Didn't Cushing play through some injuries last year? The optimist in me hopes he was using steroids just to speed up the healing process. Because the other option (performance enhancing) would be a huge blow to the defense. Even more than the 4 game suspension would be. Granted, neither reason are acceptable.

Vinnie
05-08-2010, 07:28 AM
Sorry if this has already been brought up in this thread, but I'm too lazy to browse through 14 pages. Will this affect his participation in OTA's or the preseaon, or will he be allowed to participate?

AnthonyE
05-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Sorry if this has already been brought up in this thread, but I'm too lazy to browse through 14 pages. Will this affect his participation in OTA's or the preseaon, or will he be allowed to participate?

I think I just heard on NFLN that he'll be allowed to participate in both.

HJam72
05-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Point of clarification... I have two boys.

I have 2 boys too, and I never wanted to shrink them. :cool:

headsplint
05-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Cushing took roids? Sweet! Too bad he got busted for it. Guaranteed more players than not in the NFL use them. I for one recommend them so we can compete with all the other players in the NFL. just come on Cush..The Urinator...jeez!

http://urinator.com/urinator.html

Porky
05-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Totally unsubstatiated of course, but in the comments section on Pro Football Talk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/07/brian-cushing-suspended-four-games/#comments) someone made the following post. Take it FWIW -

I played in college with a few of cushings former HS teammates who all said his own father used to shoot him in the stomach with HGH in the locker room at bergen catholic

My question is this - let's say this is true and he has been juicing since HS. Will his ligaments and joints tend to start having problems, and he will end up injured like Merriman. I don't think the roids/stopping roids killed Merrimans game, it was the injuries....and were the injuries caused/enhanced by the juice? :thinking:

pbat488
05-08-2010, 09:41 AM
People make mistakes. I think we all know this. But it's still extremely disheartening to see how fickle and perfidious some on this board are..

As evidenced by the thread in the Draft section about not wanting Cushing before the '09 Draft, his play, attitude, and work ethic won over nearly everyone who was against the pick in the first place. To be honest, even I had concerns about him coming out of college, as I was big on the Clay Matthews wagon. However, the way he came out and took a leadership role on our shell-shocked defense after the first three games and became an instant lightning rod out on the field made me forget all about the rumors swirling around him and just focus on how much better he made our team.

But to see how many users on this board have just completely thrown him under the bus due to the allegations is very sad to see. Nobody has a single clue as to what actually caused him to fail his drug test, and yet everyone immediately knows or assumes the steroids rumors were all true and that he's a cheater and doesn't deserve our sympathy. But seriously, we need to collectively take a breath and a step back from the computer because some of the things people have written just in this thread have been ridiculous.

I've kind of rambled on cause it is 8 in the morning and I have no idea how or why I'm awake after a few hours of sleep, but I just want to know where is the compassion? Where's the forgiveness and the loyalty that us fans all believe we have? Whenever we're talking about people coming from out of town or players drafted to our team, I always see things talking about 'good ole southern hospitality' or something on those lines, and yet, when something like this happens, where does it all go? Where's the basic decency to not kick someone when they're down but to stand by and with them when they need it most?

I don't have the answer, and I guess I'm one of the few, or at least in my mind I suppose, but I just don't understand how we can all love this guy 24 hours ago and now everyone wants to put him to the stake. 21 years old and I'm already jaded with this world, go figure...

Anyways.. the real reason I wanted to post this morning before I started rambling off is that I just wanted to go on the record and say (even though I know he doesn't) if Brian Cushing ever, for whatever reason, checked these boards and somehow came into this thread to see what his fans had to comment, I just want to say that I'm with you. Everyone makes mistakes, and if every time someone made a mistake we just left them out to dry with no support, no good things would ever happen. I've made my share of mistakes, probably a bigger share than most of you proportionate to my age, and I wouldn't of gotten anywhere without the support and love of people close to me. So I just wanted to put it in writing, that you've still got fans out here Cush. You've disappointed us all, but there's plenty of time to make it up to all of us and I'm sure you won't let us down. Stay thirsty my friend.

/rant off :logo:

Edit: Go ahead and call me a Smithiak homer or I'm sticking my head in the sand or whatever other names some of y'all come up with, but I've always been loyal to my teams and my players, it kinda comes with the territory of being an A&M fan, so I didn't have any reason to change this time.

CloakNNNdagger
05-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Having read this entire thread, I felt the need to at least throw out some facts in order to avoid some common misconceptions that may be surrounding steroids, and what effects it may have on Cushing’s return.

Steroids have a significant negative impact on the male hormone testosterone. Impotence is very common side effect and may happen during or after steroid use. Steroids shut down the body’s production of testosterone and when it is stopped, the low testosterone levels take a long time to recuperate to normal levels. Many steroid users never regain normal testosterone levels. That’s why commonly there is permanent shrinking of the testicles, decrease in libido, impotence, and the maintenance of “man boobs.” The man boobs” appear because with low testosterone, there is a relative increase of circulating estrogens present........thus bringing out your “feminine side.”is more likely to occur after stopping steroids, as your body tries to recuperate it’s natural testosterone levels.

Research is pretty clear that steroids are directly damaging to tendons specifically. To make matters worse, the large increases in strength and weight gain on cycle can cause greater risk of injury to these same tendons. Usually tendons don’t have enough time to adjust to the these gains. As an aside, it must be mentioned that the use of steroids can make an athlete (especially a "workout warrior") feel stronger than they actually are, resulting in trying to lift heavier weights than their body is actually capable of, which can lead to muscle tears.

Furthermore, NO injury heals quicker or better while on steroids. Steroids blunt the inflammatory processes which not only are strongly involved in fighting infection but are primary in the basic healing phenomenon.
Again, keep in mind, steroids have a negative feedback mechanism to the production of testosterone. What is interesting is that if you gained muscle off a recent steroid cycle and kept it, it will be very much harder to gain muscle naturally on top of that new muscle. On the other hand, if you damaged your testosterone levels from steroid abuse long term, yes it will be even harder to gain muscle naturally in the future, and almost impossible for some if steroids are discontinued permanently. This is a reason that some athletes are so willing and desperate to find ways to maintain their “habit,” despite the possible severe consequences of being caught.

IF Cushing has been on steroids, it is to be seen if “The Beast” returns, or his feminine side appears.

hobie
05-08-2010, 09:56 AM
A cheater..nothing less than that... say whatever you want, spin it however you want... I am sure some here called Merriman one a few years ago, so please stand true and call Cushing one as well.. Yes, it sucks that one of our own got caught, but he is a cheater, got caught, and now must pay... Your actions now have put a negative spell on my thoughts of how good you really might be.

GP
05-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Can't believe this just went down. I am just now seeing it.

(sigh)

The only hope is that he gets off the crap, or has been off it for awhile now, and makes a vow to never take it again. I am concerned at exactly how long he's been doing it--Someone said there's rumors of him taking it all the back to his prep school days? Damn. I hope not, but then again...well, ya' know....

It DOES stain his rookie year. And the league should take back his Rookie of the Year award and give it to the person who finished second. Not that it's going to matter, giving an award to the second-best guy so late down the road...but hey, you do the crime you do the time. My two cents.

Think of it this way: NOW we're on the map with the major media outlets.

I am very deflated right now. His skills are undeniable, so the good news is that we know he can play without the roids. But the eventual after-effects that he's going to suffer is my main concern. If he declines steadily over the next several seasons, then it's gonna' really suck having that as part of our team's legacy.

Just when we thought we were getting ahead...we took some steps backward. I don't hate the guy, but I will if he acts like a jive turkey about it instead of manning up and moving on (and moving on the RIGHT way).

rmartin65
05-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Yep, I called Merriman a cheater, so I am calling Cushing one now.

It does not matter if you think steroids should be allowed in the NFL. Fact is, they are not. Cushing cheated, and got caught. As fans, we have every right to complain. We pay money to watch these guys. We do not exist to be personal suck ups. Loyalty? to the team, not specific players.

GP
05-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Yep, I called Merriman a cheater, so I am calling Cushing one now.

It does not matter if you think steroids should be allowed in the NFL. Fact is, they are not. Cushing cheated, and got caught. As fans, we have every right to complain. We pay money to watch these guys. We do not exist to be personal suck ups. Loyalty? to the team, not specific players.

Yeah, I hear you.

I personally cannot find it within me to turn a blind eye and act like it's no big deal. It stings.

We'd like to think that the guys who are great are great because of hard work and commitment to excellence in all they do on the practice field, the weight room, living a good healthy lifestyle, and on the field on game day. Nobody wants to think that a guy's performance was enhanced by pharmaceuticals. It just rubs the average sports fan in a bad way.

Seriously have a knot in my stomach now.

pbat488
05-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Where's the evidence that it was steroids? Haven't heard or seen a single thing about what the actual failure was.

infantrycak
05-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Where's the evidence that it was steroids? Haven't heard or seen a single thing about what the actual failure was.

You are correct. May very well be that it is steroids but the NFL has not officially said. Let's not forget the Williams are about to serve 4 game suspensions for what everyone admits was a manufacturer's lie.

BullNation4Life
05-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Jesus H. Pot Smoking Christ, yall are SO over reacting to this.

Teams lose players all the time for various reasons, we lost damn near half our starting O line last year. It happens. That's why you have backups.

Yeah, Cushing will be missed, OD sure as hell was. It's part of the game folks. Besides, where's the lab report? What exactly was he taking? Where's his press conferance for us to hear his side of the story?

Give the guy a break, will ya?

Doesn't matter what he was taking he got busted for PEDs. Only reason you get a 4 game ban without a 3 strike rule. He apparently appealed the suspension in February and lost...

From reports he is attending his aunts funeral. Quite sure this will be addressed Monday and the spin will hit the fan....

this isn't an innocent until proven guilty situation, he is guilty....

BullNation4Life
05-08-2010, 10:28 AM
You are correct. May very well be that it is steroids but the NFL has not officially said. Let's not forget the Williams are about to serve 4 game suspensions for what everyone admits was a manufacturer's lie.

They said it was PEDs...

Kimmy
05-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Many steroid users never regain normal testosterone levels. That’s why commonly there is permanent shrinking of the testicles, decrease in libido, impotence, and the maintenance of “man boobs.” The man boobs” appear because with low testosterone, there is a relative increase of circulating estrogens present........thus bringing out your “feminine side.”

Like these?

http://yepyep.gibbs12.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/cushing_steroids.jpg

RazorOye
05-08-2010, 10:37 AM
They said it was PEDs...

In the case of the Williamses and Saints players (Smith, Grant, and Deuce) they were all taking StarCaps in order to cut weight (so they claim). It's a diuretic and contains the bumetanide which is a banned substance according to the NFL - not because it's a PED but because it can mask the use of PED.

So it falls under the steroid abuse policy even though it's not actually a steroid.

In the case of StarCaps, the company did not include it on the product's list of active ingredients and the players claim they were unknowingly taking a banned substance while taking this diuretic.

Now, who knows where the truth lies - maybe they knew, maybe they didn't. I just wanted to point out that in their case even though it wasn't a PED directly, it could mask the use of PED so it is considered as one.

infantrycak
05-08-2010, 10:40 AM
They said it was PEDs...

How about quoting that and not someone assuming that is what it was?

And again, there are hundreds of things that can pop positive on the NFL testing. Let's wait to find out what it was before rushing to judgment.

Kimmy
05-08-2010, 10:41 AM
In the case of the Williamses and Saints players (Smith, Grant, and Deuce) they were all taking StarCaps in order to cut weight (so they claim).

One of our boys was caught up in that, too. Bryan Pittman, long snapper.

infantrycak
05-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Oh and so much for the BS assertions/implications that Texans fans wouldn't be hard on a white player that came up in the Dunta contract negotiation discussions.

Honoring Earl 34
05-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Worst possible case .

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/TONY2.jpg

He does have good football instincts , if he loses a bunch of weight to 215 and keeps his speed , there's your FS .

Hardcore Texan
05-08-2010, 11:03 AM
I haven't read all the pages on this thread so maybe my question has already been answered but:

It appears that he took whatever it was he took while he was still part of the dirty usc program. Question...Have other drafted players been suspended by the league for something they did in college, ie, before becoming a member (being drafted) of the nfl. Or has Cushing tested positive since being in the nfl?

Not defending his actions, just asking a question.

:coffee:

I would like to know exactly when he tested positive, was it this past Feb?

Yep

EXACTLY.

Burying my head in the sand? Get a grip dude, I didn't act blind about the use of steroids. You said you hope he goes back to using, that's just effed up. You obviously don't care about his overall health or him as person to make such at statement.

xreadx
05-08-2010, 11:13 AM
wait a second...there are players in the NFL who don't use some sort of performance enhancing drug???

xreadx
05-08-2010, 11:19 AM
"The league doesn't disclose what a player tests positive for. Cushing could have tested positive for steroids, other performance-enhancing drugs, a diuretic or nutritional supplements that are banned by the NFL.

“This is a tough blow for our defense because Brian is such a great player,” middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans said. “We'll work through this adversity, and so will Brian.

“He's our teammate, and we support him. This (suspension) won't have anything to do with his work ethic or how hard he plays when he comes back.”"

chron

Revolution
05-08-2010, 11:21 AM
A cheater..nothing less than that... say whatever you want, spin it however you want... I am sure some here called Merriman one a few years ago, so please stand true and call Cushing one as well.. Yes, it sucks that one of our own got caught, but he is a cheater, got caught, and now must pay... Your actions now have put a negative spell on my thoughts of how good you really might be.

I refuse to call him a cheater until I have more information. I love how our country has become guilty until proven innocent. You do not even know the circumstances surrounding the suspension.

CloakNNNdagger
05-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Barber's response to hearing about this suspension, on his Twitter page pretty much sums it up............."F+*************kkkkkk"

Malloy
05-08-2010, 11:25 AM
I refuse to call him a cheater until I have more information. I love how our country has become guilty until proven innocent. You do not even know the circumstances surrounding the suspension.

I think you're missing the point here. Not only has he been accused of using it, he's been found guilty already. He tried to appeal but he was turned down.

He's guilty, no more evidence is coming out, the case is closed.

At this point I'm just hoping he's able to come back and actually play.

theanswer000
05-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Hopefully we pick up a veteran to replace him or someone with experience. I do not trust Sharpton or Adibi.

rmartin65
05-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I think you're missing the point here. Not only has he been accused of using it, he's been found guilty already. He tried to appeal but he was turned down.

Stop with the logic!

People that gots the Cush love won't accept it. If they do, then they say it does not matter, everyone does it.

awtysst
05-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Is anyone else TERRIFIED that he'll end up like Merriman?

Pre bust - 18 sacks

Post bust - benched or cut. He had almost as many sacks in his roid years as he did tackles last year.

We DO NOT know the real Cushing at all. What we know is roided Cushing. The real Cushing could suck.

I am not terrified of that becuase I see Cush working VERY hard in the offseason. I never got the sense from Merriman that he was a super hard worker off the field. I think Cush's ability will be somewhat diminished, but if he plays at 75% the level he was before, we could be ok.

Honoring Earl 34
05-08-2010, 11:34 AM

Yep ... he had his trial .

I think that the Texans had to have suspected something . I think a player that's built like a WWF wrestler , is probably getting help .

As a fan , you can't help but feel cheated a bit . Also , you wonder how he plays from here on out . Maybe it'll be alright , who knows .

He is one of those players that are obsessed with being the best and as with all things , sometimes your greatest strengths become your greatest weakness .

rmartin65
05-08-2010, 11:34 AM
I am not terrified of that becuase I see Cush working VERY hard in the offseason. I never got the sense from Merriman that he was a super hard worker off the field. I think Cush's ability will be somewhat diminished, but if he plays at 75% the level he was before, we could be ok.

75%? No freaking way. The NFL is so talented, there is no way a player can play at 75% and still benefit a team. 75%... jesus people, this man was not, well, Jesus.

xreadx
05-08-2010, 11:36 AM
You obviously don't care about his overall health or him as person to make such at statement.

the same way cushing doesnt care about my lung cancer I got from messing with the benzene and other additives he pours into his car...take all the roids you want cush and make em pay! just don't get caught next time!!

dalemurphy
05-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Hopefully we pick up a veteran to replace him or someone with experience. I do not trust Sharpton or Adibi.

His name is Kevin Bentley. He's already on the team.

awtysst
05-08-2010, 11:41 AM
75%? No freaking way. The NFL is so talented, there is no way a player can play at 75% and still benefit a team. 75%... jesus people, this man was not, well, Jesus.

Um, no. Please read my comment more carefully. I did not say him play at 75% I said play at 75% of what he did LAST season. Cush at 75% what we saw last year is still a solid starter in the NFL.

Revolution
05-08-2010, 11:41 AM

I'm not missing the point. The NFL is not a court of law in case you didn't know. We haven't even heard Cushing's side of the story.

No more evidence coming out? We haven't seen any evidence? Sometimes you people just amaze me...

ObsiWan
05-08-2010, 11:42 AM

EXACTLY.

THIS:
A professional athlete should know the things that are going to set off a positive test result and they should know better than to do those things. And it bothers me that he did something that set off a positive test result. With all the scrutiny he's been under, it couldn't have been a surprise that he was going to be tested. And he should be smart enough not to test positive. That's what bothers me the most.

...is why it's not so forgivable. If, as you assert, steroid use is so widespread, then he, with first round money now at his disposal, should hire trainers/doctors/nutritionists that know what chemicals will trigger a positive result and have them tailor his supplement diet accordingly. He, and his people, should be smart enough not to take the things that test positive.

That is what is most irritating to me.

Revolution
05-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Stop with the logic!

People that gots the Cush love won't accept it. If they do, then they say it does not matter, everyone does it.

I don't "love" Cushing. I "love" the Texans! And I am not saying what you said. It does matter. Do not put words in my mouth. L O $ E R!

Revolution
05-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Stop with the logic!

I see you have that CLEAN program OU as your avatar. Hypocrite!

rmartin65
05-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Um, no. Please read my comment more carefully. I did not say him play at 75% I said play at 75% of what he did LAST season. Cush at 75% what we saw last year is still a solid starter in the NFL.

I understood you. Cushing was a beast last year, I agree with that. But Cushing at 75% of what we saw last year is not a solid starter. I am saying the NFL has so much talent, and the difference between players is so much smaller than we all think.

Hardcore Texan
05-08-2010, 11:46 AM
the same way cushing doesnt care about my lung cancer I got from messing with the benzene and other additives he pours into his car...take all the roids you want cush and make em pay! just don't get caught next time!!

Well, first let me say, I am sorry to hear about your condition, I do hope you are on the road to recovery.

But one does not have anything to do with the other, you know about what he's taking and it's effects on his health and your willing to gloss over it and hope for him to keep using as long he produces on the football field? That's effed up on so many levels.

You can't take a shot at his compassion about something he is not even aware of.

Great philosphy though :rolleyes:

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 11:47 AM

No but look at what he was known for... I wouldn't exactly go around calling Brian Cushing a destructive player. He wasn't directly known for highlight bone-crunching hits. I'm not saying he wasn't physical. He was! I feel that he's more of a playmaker sort of guy. This guy's nose for the ball is uncanny. Brian Cushing is a super-alert football player.

I buy the 75% although I'd call that an extremely conservative number. Cushing could put off half his physicality level and play better than a rookie Connor Barwin.

Malloy
05-08-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm not missing the point. The NFL is not a court of law in case you didn't know. We haven't even heard Cushing's side of the story.

No more evidence coming out? We haven't seen any evidence? Sometimes you people just amaze me...

wth? I'm trying to help and this is what I get?

Sure, we have not heard Cushings side to the story... ultimately it has NO effect if we hear it or not. The powers that be (and yes, I am very well aware that it is NOT a court of law...) have decided he's guilty of using that stuff and he's getting the 4 games suspension. They've abviously seen the evidence and based their verdict on that.

Do I still amaze you??

rmartin65
05-08-2010, 11:52 AM
No but look at what he was known for... I wouldn't exactly go around calling Brian Cushing a destructive player. He wasn't directly known for highlight bone-crunching hits. I'm not saying he wasn't physical. He was! I feel that he's more of a playmaker sort of guy. This guy's nose for the ball is uncanny. Brian Cushing is a super-alert football player.

I buy the 75% although I'd call that an extremely conservative number. Cushing could put off half his physicality level and play better than a rookie Connor Barwin.

Look, I am not saying that Cushing was not a great player. He was, hell, he was a great player last season. And based on his play, easily deserving of DROY. I thought that his name should have been in the discussion for best LB of the season.

However, he is not so talented that he could play at 3/4ths of his ability. The NFL is simply too talented. And while your argument does have merit (instincts), it is not enough. A player has to have the entire package to be a solid player in this league.

Revolution
05-08-2010, 11:52 AM
wth? I'm trying to help and this is what I get?

Sure, we have not heard Cushings side to the story... ultimately it has NO effect if we hear it or not. The powers that be (and yes, I am very well aware that it is NOT a court of law...) have decided he's guilty of using that stuff and he's getting the 4 games suspension. They've abviously seen the evidence and based their verdict on that.

Do I still amaze you??

Trying to help? And to answer your question: Yep.

alphajoker
05-08-2010, 11:56 AM
People make mistakes. I think we all know this. But it's still extremely disheartening to see how fickle and perfidious some on this board are..

As evidenced by the thread in the Draft section about not wanting Cushing before the '09 Draft, his play, attitude, and work ethic won over nearly everyone who was against the pick in the first place. To be honest, even I had concerns about him coming out of college, as I was big on the Clay Matthews wagon. However, the way he came out and took a leadership role on our shell-shocked defense after the first three games and became an instant lightning rod out on the field made me forget all about the rumors swirling around him and just focus on how much better he made our team.

But to see how many users on this board have just completely thrown him under the bus due to the allegations is very sad to see. Nobody has a single clue as to what actually caused him to fail his drug test, and yet everyone immediately knows or assumes the steroids rumors were all true and that he's a cheater and doesn't deserve our sympathy. But seriously, we need to collectively take a breath and a step back from the computer because some of the things people have written just in this thread have been ridiculous.

I've kind of rambled on cause it is 8 in the morning and I have no idea how or why I'm awake after a few hours of sleep, but I just want to know where is the compassion? Where's the forgiveness and the loyalty that us fans all believe we have? Whenever we're talking about people coming from out of town or players drafted to our team, I always see things talking about 'good ole southern hospitality' or something on those lines, and yet, when something like this happens, where does it all go? Where's the basic decency to not kick someone when they're down but to stand by and with them when they need it most?

I don't have the answer, and I guess I'm one of the few, or at least in my mind I suppose, but I just don't understand how we can all love this guy 24 hours ago and now everyone wants to put him to the stake. 21 years old and I'm already jaded with this world, go figure...

Anyways.. the real reason I wanted to post this morning before I started rambling off is that I just wanted to go on the record and say (even though I know he doesn't) if Brian Cushing ever, for whatever reason, checked these boards and somehow came into this thread to see what his fans had to comment, I just want to say that I'm with you. Everyone makes mistakes, and if every time someone made a mistake we just left them out to dry with no support, no good things would ever happen. I've made my share of mistakes, probably a bigger share than most of you proportionate to my age, and I wouldn't of gotten anywhere without the support and love of people close to me. So I just wanted to put it in writing, that you've still got fans out here Cush. You've disappointed us all, but there's plenty of time to make it up to all of us and I'm sure you won't let us down. Stay thirsty my friend.

Edit: Go ahead and call me a Smithiak homer or I'm sticking my head in the sand or whatever other names some of y'all come up with, but I've always been loyal to my teams and my players, it kinda comes with the territory of being an A&M fan, so I didn't have any reason to change this time.

This is the first time I've posted in regards to this new issue with Cushing. I couldn't quite figure out how to take this in but I believe you took exactly what thoughts I had running through my mind when I first saw Cushing's suspension and placed them right here. Excellent post and I couldn't agree more!

xreadx
05-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Well, first let me say, I am sorry to hear about your condition, I do hope you are on the road to recovery.

But one does not have anything to do with the other, you know about what he's taking and it's effects on his health and your willing to gloss over it and hope for him to keep using as long he produces on the football field? That's effed up on so many levels.

You can't take a shot at his compassion about something he is not even aware of.

Great philosphy though :rolleyes:

before going to college i am fully aware of the risk i took. so was he. i wouldnt bet a dime that any nfl player is all natural...

rmartin65
05-08-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't "love" Cushing. I "love" the Texans! And I am not saying what you said. It does matter. Do not put words in my mouth. L O $ E R!

Dude, calm down. Sorry I offended you, but the way people are replying, I feel that people are not holding Cushing accountable for what he did. If this was not you, then I apologize.

By the way, if you want to call me a loser, have the stones to actually right the entire word. Like I give a shit about what someone on the internet thinks of me.

I see you have that CLEAN program OU as your avatar. Hypocrite!

What does me liking Oklahoma have to do anything with it? I admit it when the get caught cheating, and had no problem with the punishment the NCAA dished out. How am I being hypocritical?

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Look, I am not saying that Cushing was not a great player. He was, hell, he was a great player last season. And based on his play, easily deserving of DROY. I thought that his name should have been in the discussion for best LB of the season.

However, he is not so talented that he could play at 3/4ths of his ability. The NFL is simply too talented. And while your argument does have merit (instincts), it is not enough. A player has to have the entire package to be a solid player in this league.

I agree that a player has to have the total package but I didn't read it as to him playing at 75% of his ability. I read it to be as if the steroids affected his play by all that much. I don't think it will affect his keen sense for the ball as much as that number sounded. Cushing should still be a premiere player sans the roids. He is that much better of a player.

rmartin65
05-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I agree that a player has to have the total package but I didn't read it as to him playing at 75% of his ability. I read it to be as if the steroids affected his play by all that much. I don't think it will affect his keen sense for the ball as much as that number sounded. Cushing should still be a premiere player sans the roids. He is that much better of a player.

Ah, then I agree with you there. I probably should have clarified what I meant. I do not think that steroids gave Cushing special powers. I think they may have boosted his play a bit, but not enough to ruin his game without them.

I was simply refuting that Cushing at 75% would be a solid starter.

GuerillaBlack
05-08-2010, 12:03 PM

AMEN! Rep points coming your way.

I'm seeing people here jumping to conclusions for no ass reason. We don't even know what drug he took. Plus, we all know he DOES have great work ethic. It's going to sting not having him the first four games, and they are some big ones, too (Colts, Redskins, and Cowboys especially), but it only means we need someone else (Sharpton?) to step up to the plate and fill in nicely.

People think our season is over. That's just funny to me.

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 12:08 PM

I'm seeing people here jumping to conclusions for no ass reason. We don't even know what drug he took. Plus, we all know he DOES have great work ethic. It's going to sting not having him the first four games, and they are some big ones, too (Colts, Redskins, and Cowboys especially), but it only means we need someone else (Sharpton?) to step up to the plate and fill in nicely.

I think our season's over with or without Cushing just by looking at the strength of our schedule alone. We share the #1 toughest in the NFL. Kubiak doesn't have the stones for it.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 12:10 PM
I agree with those people that said he should have his DROY award taken away and given to the next best player, who didn't have to CHEAT his way to playing in the NFL.

Oh wait...
http://misterirrelevant.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/brian-orakpo-is-strong.jpg

errrrr shit...
http://www.trojanwire.com/Clay%20Matthews%20bulk.jpg

Wolf
05-08-2010, 12:11 PM

good post.. try looking at his facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/sbrownharding?v=wall&story_fbid=1350734083441#!/briancushing56?ref=ts

lynch mob is out also

I am trying to keep an open mind right now and see what or if the facts come out.

did Brian knowingly take a steriod or was it in a supplement that a banned ingredient wasn't listed ( like the starcaps case) ?

I

Wolf
05-08-2010, 12:12 PM
I agree with those people that said he should have his DROY award taken away and given to the next best player, who didn't have to CHEAT his way to playing in the NFL.

Oh wait...
http://misterirrelevant.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/brian-orakpo-is-strong.jpg

errrrr shit...
http://www.trojanwire.com/Clay%20Matthews%20bulk.jpg

don't you want to say Brian is this guy ?
http://media.kickstatic.com/kickapps/images/77424/photos/PHOTO_3209194_77424_6971988_ap_320X240.jpg

ObsiWan
05-08-2010, 12:13 PM

You're ignoring the fact that he got busted back in Jan/Feb and that he appealed in Feb. I wouldn't call that "no ass reason". And I've been asking what chemicals he got busted for since this story first broke.

And I still wonder - I asked like 12 pages back - who will get his first team reps during OTAs and T/C? Would you waste first team reps in July/August on a guy who you knew won't be available until October?

I'm thinking I'd use those reps to get his stand-in ready for the opener.

BigBull17
05-08-2010, 12:16 PM
I agree completely. You know what's pathetic we refuse to sign guys like Antonio Cromartie because of supposed "character" issues off the field but the truth is that he'll produce and play every game unless he is hurt while our star Rookie of the Year LB who was "clean enough" for Jesus McNair and Pope Kubiak will miss a QUARTER of the season for basically cheating. The Texans front office is an absurd joke. I don't care how many illegitimate kids a football player has on my team as long as we WIN.

**** "character", all I want is a PLAYOFF BERTH DAMN IT. Where is the God damned urgency in the Texans front office. This needs to be states in all caps damn it, WE ARE GOING ON YEAR 17 OF NO NFL PLAYOFFS IN HOUSTON.

Bob McNair you dumbass address that ****ing crisis NOW before worrying about getting good little Christian boys on your NFL team. What a joke.

Cromartie is a freakin joke. He is one of the reasons that team has under achieved year in and year out. People say quit signing chior boys, but really look at who wins. They arent stacked full of POS humans. Steelers did, but Ben wasnt Rapethisburger yet and Holmes was sent packing a year later cause the Steelers don't put up with that shit. Teams who sign aholes don't win a ****ing thing. Period.

ObsiWan
05-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Oh and so much for a dull, boring, nothing-to-talk-about period until OTAs start
:specnatz:

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Burying my head in the sand? Get a grip dude, I didn't act blind about the use of steroids. You said you hope he goes back to using, that's just effed up. You obviously don't care about his overall health or him as person to make such at statement.
Everyone that plays football is risking their long term health. Football is life for Cushing (I'm guessing) and he has dedicated himself to it. So yes, I hope he continues to use, because he is a grown man and has made the choice for himself to play football and I hope he does what it takes to be the absolute best at what he does. If he never uses again he will be at a huge disadvantage and in all likelihood become a mediocre or even bad player compared to what is the norm in the NFL. I don't think he wants that for himself, as a person, and neither do I.

BigBull17
05-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I still get depressed reading negative post after negative post from you. I don't think I've read one positive thing you've had to say about the Texans....err wait a minute I thought you were Second Honeymoon! :polevault:

In all seriousness though, this "McNair is cheap" and "McNair doesn't care about winning" has gotten really old. I understand the fans that do nothing but spout this are tired from all the seasons with no playoff appearences... I get that and I can completely sympothize with you all.

But the truth is McNair wants a winner so bad. He's just going about trying to get this team to the right place a different way than a lot of fans want. It's brought up that McNair is just happy earning money every year and doesn't care about making the Texans better. That's complete and utter B.S. McNair has everything to gain by turning this organization into a perennial playoff/superbowl contender. Profits on an annual basis will soar once the team can accomplish this as will the overall investment value in his ownership. He has every reason to turn this into a championship team and anyone who thinks he doesn't care.... well we won't go there.

Must spread rep.

HJam72
05-08-2010, 12:30 PM
OK, no more roids. Just take HGH injections and speed on game day. :fingergun:

awtysst
05-08-2010, 12:38 PM
This is the first time I've posted in regards to this new issue with Cushing. I couldn't quite figure out how to take this in but I believe you took exactly what thoughts I had running through my mind when I first saw Cushing's suspension and placed them right here. Excellent post and I couldn't agree more!

See here is where we disagree. I do not cheer for players, I cheer for the Texans. I don't care who is on the Texans. I don't care either way for Cushing. I have never met the guy and likely never will. I care about the Team, so when I read stories like this I wonder how the TEAM will be affected. I don't care how Cush personally will be affected. I don't care if his feelings are hurt or if he feels the fan base has turned on him. Quiet frankly I do not care bout any of the players. I care solely about the Team. No player is above the team and no player is irreplaceable. I will be a Texans fan long after Cush or any of the current players have retired.

steelbtexan
05-08-2010, 01:03 PM
When Romanowski got off the roids it didn't seem to hurt his on field production.

I expect the same for Cushing.

Roids are not the red herring some make them out to be.

Alot of doctors prescribe them to the elderly to help with healing/allergies other health problems.

Wolf
05-08-2010, 01:07 PM
The league doesn't disclose what a player tests positive for. Cushing could have tested positive for steroids, other performance-enhancing drugs, a diuretic or nutritional supplements that are banned by the NFL.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6995505.html

CloakNNNdagger
05-08-2010, 01:19 PM
For those who are fine with Cushing (or any other NFL player) taking and continuing to take steroids (if that is indeed true in his case)....................
When an athlete enters the NFL, they SIGN and AGREE to ABIDE BY the policies put forth by the NFL. By MUTUAL AGREEMENT their choice, in such matters as concerns these policies, to do as they wish or as they think are "best for them" CEASES at that point.

You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.
-------------------------- Albert Einstein

Mailman
05-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I followed this thread since last night when the shocking news broke but couldn't bring myself to post my thoughts because they consisted of nothing but a long string of expletives.

Now I'm just flat out depressed and demoralized about it, not just because of the potential effect of losing a key defensive player for the first four weeks (and one huge divisional game) but mostly because of how we will never hear the end of it from the clowns who mock and deride the Houston Texans.

I've never been one of those fans who gets highly agitated about drug use in pro sports because I accept it as a given. There's too much money at stake for players across all sports to not seek out every advantage possible. Nevertheless, I do not expect to hear about the players I root for failing a drug test, especially when it involves a guy who was as dogged by roid rumors as Brian Cushing.

He is now tainted forever. No matter how it goes from here, his play will always be linked to this failed drug test. If he plays at or beyond the level he set his rookie season, many will say he's a juicer who learned how not to get caught. If he fails to live up to his DROY season, he will always been thought of as a fraud who only played that well because he took performance-enhancing drugs.

What a shame.

False Start
05-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Kind of like Shawne Merriman's career is tainted and thought of as a fraud...... :shades:

Mailman
05-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Kind of like Shawne Merriman's career is tainted and thought of as a fraud...... :shades:

Yeah, exactly. Merriman is tainted, too, even though he doesn't matter to me at all.

What I hate about this is the ammunition it gives the haters, particularly those asshole UT homers who only root for the Titans because they draft Longhorns. We Texans fans will never hear the end of it, and it's all because Brian Cushing was stupid enough to not only use a banned substance, but to also get caught for it.

Brian Cushing went from a guy who I could always point to in defense of the Texans brain trust to a bit of a taboo player. Now, no matter what I say about Cushing's greatness as a player, his critics can always play the PED card.

Fan****ingtastic.

eriadoc
05-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Having read this entire thread, I felt the need to at least throw out some facts in order to avoid some common misconceptions that may be surrounding steroids, and what effects it may have on Cushing’s return.

Steroids have a significant negative impact on the male hormone testosterone. Impotence is very common side effect and may happen during or after steroid use. Steroids shut down the body’s production of testosterone and when it is stopped, the low testosterone levels take a long time to recuperate to normal levels. Many steroid users never regain normal testosterone levels. That’s why commonly there is permanent shrinking of the testicles, decrease in libido, impotence, and the maintenance of “man boobs.” The man boobs” appear because with low testosterone, there is a relative increase of circulating estrogens present........thus bringing out your “feminine side.”is more likely to occur after stopping steroids, as your body tries to recuperate it’s natural testosterone levels.

Research is pretty clear that steroids are directly damaging to tendons specifically. To make matters worse, the large increases in strength and weight gain on cycle can cause greater risk of injury to these same tendons. Usually tendons don’t have enough time to adjust to the these gains. As an aside, it must be mentioned that the use of steroids can make an athlete (especially a "workout warrior") feel stronger than they actually are, resulting in trying to lift heavier weights than their body is actually capable of, which can lead to muscle tears.

Furthermore, NO injury heals quicker or better while on steroids. Steroids blunt the inflammatory processes which not only are strongly involved in fighting infection but are primary in the basic healing phenomenon.
Again, keep in mind, steroids have a negative feedback mechanism to the production of testosterone. What is interesting is that if you gained muscle off a recent steroid cycle and kept it, it will be very much harder to gain muscle naturally on top of that new muscle. On the other hand, if you damaged your testosterone levels from steroid abuse long term, yes it will be even harder to gain muscle naturally in the future, and almost impossible for some if steroids are discontinued permanently. This is a reason that some athletes are so willing and desperate to find ways to maintain their “habit,” despite the possible severe consequences of being caught.

IF Cushing has been on steroids, it is to be seen if “The Beast” returns, or his feminine side appears.

This should be required reading for anyone planning to click "Reply" in this thread.

False Start
05-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah, exactly. Merriman is tainted, too, even though he doesn't matter to me at all.

What I hate about this is the ammunition it gives the haters, particularly those asshole UT homers who only root for the Titans because they draft Longhorns. We Texans fans will never hear the end of it, and it's all because Brian Cushing was stupid enough to not only use a banned substance, but to also get caught for it.

Brian Cushing went from a guy who I could always point to in defense of the Texans brain trust to a bit of a taboo player. Now, no matter what I say about Cushing's greatness as a player, his critics can always play the PED card.

Fan****ingtastic.

Yeah, I feel ya man. Hes still a bad mofo, but he will be the version of Bill Romanowski.

gtexan02
05-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Anyone hoping that this is an accidental positive test because of some harmless dietary supplement that happens to be on the banned list is going to be disappointed I think.

Cushing was very careful and direct about what he put into his body. No way was this an accident.

Guess we can add liar to his list of accomplishments?

"I've passed every drug test out there and still have," Cushing said during his 2009 draft news conference. "I'm not that kind of guy."

Posted this last night, I think, but can't find it

toronto
05-08-2010, 02:00 PM
I smell a 20 page thread!

almost there!

lol

SteveSlaton20
05-08-2010, 02:00 PM

JB
05-08-2010, 02:02 PM
http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/shithitfan.gif

alphajoker
05-08-2010, 02:04 PM
See here is where we disagree. I do not cheer for players, I cheer for the Texans. I don't care who is on the Texans. I don't care either way for Cushing. I have never met the guy and likely never will. I care about the Team, so when I read stories like this I wonder how the TEAM will be affected. I don't care how Cush personally will be affected. I don't care if his feelings are hurt or if he feels the fan base has turned on him. Quiet frankly I do not care bout any of the players. I care solely about the Team. No player is above the team and no player is irreplaceable. I will be a Texans fan long after Cush or any of the current players have retired.

I thought about that too. Why did he put himself before the team? How does this affect the team? Like I said, I had lots of thoughts on this issue. I just couldn't, rather didn't want to take the effort to articulate it. What's done is done.

Dan B.
05-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I feel ya man. Hes still a bad mofo, but he will be the version of Bill Romanowski.

IIRC Bush wanted a Romanowski type of player when he drafted Cush. Careful what you wish for I guess.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Anyone hoping that this is an accidental positive test because of some harmless dietary supplement that happens to be on the banned list is going to be disappointed I think.

Cushing was very careful and direct about what he put into his body. No way was this an accident.
Actually the more I think about this, the more I think it could very well be an accidental positive of some secondary banned substance. And by secondary I mean one of the hundreds of strange ancillary drugs on the banned list that aren't actually steroids.

Cushing being the workout and diet fanatic that he is has got to know all of the testing times for the different drugs. Surely he has been using the short ester compounds to avoid testing positive. If not, then he really is a dumb ****er. To know that much about diet and exercise and not even know which steroids to avoid.

So I'm thinking that he knew exactly what he was doing with steroids and somehow, from a doctor or some accessory drug, got one of the other strange banned substances that lasts a lot longer in your blood/fat cells. The other possibility is that he was taking a form of nandrolone in college, which is the steroid that lasts up to 2 years in your blood, and he tested positive for it way after the fact.

Ok so let me break this down for my own benefit.

Option 1: Cushing has been using long-ester steroids at some point in the last 6-12 months and tested positive for those. This would mean he is literally a ****ing retard, considering that there are equivalents that only stay in your system for 3 days.

Option 2: He tested positive for a super-long ester steroid that he was taking in college. This is the kind that Stephan Bonnar tested positive for a few years ago. Any athlete in a tested organization taking these compounds is a ****ing *****.

Option 3: He was using the short-ester steroids properly so he didn't test positive for those, but popped for an ancillary drug that he wasn't aware of or wasn't aware of the time they remain in your system (I don't think information on many ancillaries is as well known as the detection time for the actual steroids). This is the option I'm hoping for because it means he was smart about what he was using and most likely got burned either by his doctor or by some obscure drug mixed in with something he was taking that he thought was legit.

I have a couple more thoughts. To begin with, yeah, I don't think there is any way he is not taking steroids or at least has taken them at some point in the last couple years. One thing about steroids is you don't just stay on them. You take them for a couple months and then you come off after getting your results.

Another thing is that there are tons of over-the-counter supplements that have substances on the NFL banned list. It is entirely possible, I would say likely even, that Cushing was taking one of these types of things and got burned. Many of this type of supplement, the ones that are designed for muscle-building, contain chemical derivatives of male hormones. The thing is that when the NFL or whoever "tests" for a certain compound, they are not actually testing for that and only that compound. Derivative compounds that are not banned can trigger positives for other compounds that are banned. This kind of thing has been going on since the whole "Andro" affair in the 90s.

And since I'm rambling, I'll go on. These days there are actually a lot of different OTC supplements that are similar in potency to steroids. The difference is that they are getting much, MUCH more dangerous, because they have extra molecular components attached to them that get filtered out by the liver and kidneys. Long story short, many legal supplements actually give a lot of the same results as steroids but will destroy your body 5x faster, and many of these are not yet banned by the NFL because they keep producing new ones with cutting edge technology. If you think that NFL players avoid steroids because they are illegal, you can be damn sure that they are taking these cutting-edge legal supplements and ****ing up their body a lot faster with them. And on that topic, this is one of the many reasons I think steroids should be legalized in the normal world and in sports, because making them illegal causes that much more damage to the health of the players who have to take the dangerous OTC stuff to keep up.

:rant:

GP
05-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Everyone that plays football is risking their long term health. Football is life for Cushing (I'm guessing) and he has dedicated himself to it. So yes, I hope he continues to use, because he is a grown man and has made the choice for himself to play football and I hope he does what it takes to be the absolute best at what he does. If he never uses again he will be at a huge disadvantage and in all likelihood become a mediocre or even bad player compared to what is the norm in the NFL. I don't think he wants that for himself, as a person, and neither do I.

(sigh)

How can I respond to this post without dragging the character of the poster into question? It's a bit of a tightrope walk, indeed.

You are "OK"...no, scratch that...You are DESIRING for him to continue to use so that he will not be at a disadvantage? Seriously?!?

You want to win so badly that you desire for a man to potentially die an early death if it meant he fulfills your desires (which you then go on to say that it's what he'd like for himself, as well).

I think the biggest laugher in all this is that you've openly, and proudly, co-signed Brian Cushing into your opinion on taking enhancement drugs.

Let your profanity-laced tirade begin, in 3...2......1..........

GP
05-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Actually the more I think about this, the more I think it could very well be an accidental positive of some secondary banned substance. And by secondary I mean one of the hundreds of strange ancillary drugs on the banned list that aren't actually steroids.

Cushing being the workout and diet fanatic that he is has got to know all of the testing times for the different drugs. Surely he has been using the short ester compounds to avoid testing positive. If not, then he really is a dumb ****er. To know that much about diet and exercise and not even know which steroids to avoid.

So I'm thinking that he knew exactly what he was doing with steroids and somehow, from a doctor or some accessory drug, got one of the other strange banned substances that lasts a lot longer in your blood/fat cells. The other possibility is that he was taking a form of nandrolone in college, which is the steroid that lasts up to 2 years in your blood, and he tested positive for it way after the fact.

Ok so let me break this down for my own benefit.

Option 1: Cushing has been using long-ester steroids at some point in the last 6-12 months and tested positive for those. This would mean he is literally a ****ing retard, considering that there are equivalents that only stay in your system for 3 days.

Option 2: He tested positive for a super-long ester steroid that he was taking in college. This is the kind that Stephan Bonnar tested positive for a few years ago. Any athlete in a tested organization taking these compounds is a ****ing *****.

Option 3: He was using the short-ester steroids properly so he didn't test positive for those, but popped for an ancillary drug that he wasn't aware of or wasn't aware of the time they remain in your system (I don't think information on many ancillaries is as well known as the detection time for the actual steroids). This is the option I'm hoping for because it means he was smart about what he was using and most likely got burned either by his doctor or by some obscure drug mixed in with something he was taking that he thought was legit.

I have a couple more thoughts. To begin with, yeah, I don't think there is any way he is not taking steroids or at least has taken them at some point in the last couple years. One thing about steroids is you don't just stay on them. You take them for a couple months and then you come off after getting your results.

Another thing is that there are tons of over-the-counter supplements that have substances on the NFL banned list. It is entirely possible, I would say likely even, that Cushing was taking one of these types of things and got burned. Many of this type of supplement, the ones that are designed for muscle-building, contain chemical derivatives of male hormones. The thing is that when the NFL or whoever "tests" for a certain compound, they are not actually testing for that and only that compound. Derivative compounds that are not banned can trigger positives for other compounds that are banned. This kind of thing has been going on since the whole "Andro" affair in the 90s.

And since I'm rambling, I'll go on. These days there are actually a lot of different OTC supplements that are similar in potency to steroids. The difference is that they are getting much, MUCH more dangerous, because they have extra molecular components attached to them that get filtered out by the liver and kidneys. Long story short, many legal supplements actually give a lot of the same results as steroids but will destroy your body 5x faster, and many of these are not yet banned by the NFL because they keep producing new ones with cutting edge technology. If you think that NFL players avoid steroids because they are illegal, you can be damn sure that they are taking these cutting-edge legal supplements and ****ing up their body a lot faster with them. And on that topic, this is one of the many reasons I think steroids should be legalized in the normal world and in sports, because making them illegal causes that much more damage to the health of the players who have to take the dangerous OTC stuff to keep up.

:rant:

How do you have all this information? Are you a user of the stuff?

Because I sit here and see that you rattled off quite a bit of stuff that would take me an entire day to research and cross-reference. If you are a user, which I don't know that you are (but hey, look at how passionate you are about it) then it makes sense as to why your viewpoint is slanted differently than the average poster on here who is discouraged today.

If you don't use, are you near someone who does? Or have you been in environments (workout gyms, competitions of some kind, etc.) where you've picked up on this information?

I can't fathom why you are so uniquely opposite-minded on this.

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 02:22 PM
(sigh)

How can I respond to this post without dragging the character of the poster into question? It's a bit of a tightrope walk, indeed.

You are "OK"...no, scratch that...You are DESIRING for him to continue to use so that he will not be at a disadvantage? Seriously?!?

You want to win so badly that you desire for a man to potentially die an early death if it meant he fulfills your desires (which you then go on to say that it's what he'd like for himself, as well).

I think the biggest laugher in all this is that you've openly, and proudly, co-signed Brian Cushing into your opinion on taking enhancement drugs.

Why do you even bother? I welcomed him (and still do) to this site but he's hellbent on offending everybody. He has little regard for human life and very little respect for others. It's definitely laughable, GP.

powerfuldragon
05-08-2010, 02:28 PM
yeah wagonhed, you don't share my opinion so i hate you.

so ner.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 02:28 PM
(sigh)

Waaaaaahhhh.

I never said I want Brian to do something against his will. I support whatever decisions he makes. My GUESS is that he won't want to stop using steroids just because of that, and I support that fully.

I've never claimed to speak for him either, so don't put words in my mouth. Obviously he feels that taking steroids is the right thing to do if he has been doing it. And beyond that, I haven't given my opinion as to what I think about taking PEDs, all I've said is that it is a reality in the NFL, and every other sport, and that if you want to compete they are pretty much necessary. My opinion is that they should be legal because I believe in personal freedom and I don't want to see guys get even more messed up with bullshit legal knockoff supplements.

In other words, you need to learn how to read, and not put your retarded interpretations into other people's mouth.

Wolf
05-08-2010, 02:34 PM
FYI

Cushing was unavailable for comment, but sources close to him say it wasn't steroids for which he tested positive. There is even talk he might consider legal action — the only other option after the failed appeal.

from the solomon thread
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6995860.html

GP
05-08-2010, 02:35 PM
I never said I want Brian to do something against his will.

I've never claimed to speak for him either

In other words, you need to learn how to read, and not put your retarded interpretations into other people's mouth.

You said this:

I don't think he wants that for himself, as a person, and neither do I.

How is this NOT speaking for him? LOL!!! That's a statement you would make about the general welfare and quality of life of a person, i.e. "I really hope my friend stops being an alcoholic because the doctor says his liver is almost gone. I don't think he wants that for himself, as a person, and neither do I." You don't use that statement when the thing you desire is for him to continue introducing chemicals that might harm himself. Do you?

Oh yeah, and you better check yourself using the word "retarded" on here.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 02:36 PM

Because I sit here and see that you rattled off quite a bit of stuff that would take me an entire day to research and cross-reference. If you are a user, which I don't know that you are (but hey, look at how passionate you are about it) then it makes sense as to why your viewpoint is slanted differently than the average poster on here who is discouraged today.

If you don't use, are you near someone who does? Or have you been in environments (workout gyms, competitions of some kind, etc.) where you've picked up on this information?

I knew the ad hominems would come out, and I'm altogether unsurprised that it comes from you.

Fine, we can make this about why I know so much about steroids. First of all, it's none of any of your business whether or not I've used them or are using them now, but you can feel free to ask Arlington Texan if I look like I'm on steroids. LOL.

First of all, all of this information is widely available on the internet. I happen to be knowledgable on the subject for many reasons which I'm not afraid to admit. The first of which is that I was roommates with someone in the military who sold steroids to other people in the military on a large scale, and I had a couple really good friends that used, and some who I helped administer it to. I've also known ex and current college players that used. So yes, I've poked a guy in the ass with a needle, and that is part of why I know so much about them. Do you have a problem with that? Would you like to rebuke the facts I've shared about steroids based on that?

Oh by the way, that long post CloakNNNDagger made about steroids confirmed everything I had been saying earlier in the thread, and he's a doctor.

My viewpoint is based on the facts about steroids, facts that basically noone knows and the public is completely ignorant of thanks to government anti-drug propaganda. Fact is the public opinion of steroids is based on lies.

But feel free to continue the personal accusations, they are very relevant to this thread.

TexanSam
05-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Cushing can play in the preseason games so it will be interesting to see how he plays then before the 4 game ban goes into effect

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Why do you even bother? I welcomed him (and still do) to this site but he's hellbent on offending everybody. He has little regard for human life and very little respect for others. It's definitely laughable, GP.
I'm sorry if factual information about steroids is offensive to you. I'm also sorry for not jumping on your hateful anti-Cushing bandwagon.

As to respect for others, aren't you the guy that told me to go play with my small penis earlier in the thread? :lol:

Wolf
05-08-2010, 02:39 PM
this thread
http://www.pulpit-pimps.org/images/general-images/ten-favorite-knee-jerks.jpg

:ahhaha:

being we don't have all the facts yet

Hardcore Texan
05-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Waaaaaahhhh.

I knew the ad hominems would come out, and I'm altogether unsurprised that it comes from you.

Fine, we can make this about why I know so much about steroids. First of all, it's none of any of your business whether or not I've used them or are using them now, but you can feel free to ask Arlington Texan if I look like I'm on steroids. LOL.

First of all, all of this information is widely available on the internet. I happen to be knowledgable on the subject for many reasons which I'm not afraid to admit. The first of which is that I was roommates with someone in the military who sold steroids to other people in the military on a large scale, and I had a couple really good friends that used, and some who I helped administer it to. I've also known ex and current college players that used. So yes, I've poked a guy in the ass with a needle, and that is part of why I know so much about them. Do you have a problem with that? Would you like to rebuke the facts I've shared about steroids based on that?

Oh by the way, that long post CloakNNNDagger made about steroids confirmed everything I had been saying earlier in the thread, and he's a doctor.

My viewpoint is based on the facts about steroids, facts that basically noone knows and the public is completely ignorant of thanks to government anti-drug propaganda. Fact is the public opinion of steroids is based on lies.

But feel free to continue the personal accusations, they are very relevant to this thread.

Nice try.....:potkettle:

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm sorry if factual information about steroids is offensive to you. I'm also sorry for not jumping on your hateful anti-Cushing bandwagon.

As to respect for others, aren't you the guy that told me to go play with my small penis earlier in the thread? :lol:

If you can find it.

:lol:

Honoring Earl 34
05-08-2010, 02:41 PM
I wonder if we can convert him into a TE ? :clown:

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 02:41 PM

Ok, so asking me if I take steroids isn't a personal accusation? How is la-la-land treating you?

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 02:43 PM

He has insulted enough of my friends here on this board since day one of his arrival. We all know this but him... not even worth trying to mess with a joke.

Wolf
05-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Ok, so asking me if I take steroids isn't a personal accusation? How is la-la-land treating you?

I don't know but by asking?

Hardcore Texan
05-08-2010, 02:44 PM

Nice deflection. You accused people of personal attacks while you are engaging in them yourself. It's pretty simple, but I guess I am in la-la-land with my head buried in the sand.

Hardcore Texan
05-08-2010, 02:50 PM
yeah wagonhed, you don't share my opinion so i hate you.

so ner.

It's pretty simple PD, if you don't agree with him you're a dumbass, how dare we respect the opinons of others.

He has insulted enough of my friends here on this board since day one of his arrival. We all know this but him... not even worth trying to mess with a joke.

All he does is insult everyone or be condescending. But he is self proclaimed expert in EVERYTHING don't you know. And reminds a good portion of us that we are retarted on a routine basis. :rolleyes:

I'd rather read Johnsonfan.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Nice deflection. You accused people of personal attacks while you are engaging in them yourself. It's pretty simple, but I guess I am in la-la-land with my head buried in the sand.
Ok, yeah, I've been less than nice to a few people in this thread. Same goes for you and a bunch of other people in this thread. So as far as personal attacks, sure, I've participated.

What's your point? I didn't use personal attacks to try to prove that someone else was wrong. I've offered relevant and factual information to support all my points in here.

You, Nitro, and GP are simply attacking me because you don't like me, you don't actually have anything relevant or factual to say about my posts. As per usual.

Second Honeymoon
05-08-2010, 02:51 PM
I love Cushing and people make mistakes
however, doing steroids or masking for steroids is illegal and unethical in a competitive atmosphere where livelihoods and bodies are on the line

I will wait to judge Brian until it all comes out
but his actions have hurt the Texans and the NFL
if he tested positive he needs to be punished

steroids are a big deal
I don't think they have a place in sports and the only way you can keep I out is to punish those that try and get over on the rest of the league

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 02:52 PM
It's pretty simple PD, if you don't agree with him you're a dumbass, how dare we respect the opinons of others.

All he does is insult everyone or be condescending. But he is self proclaimed expert in EVERYTHING don't you know. And reminds all that we are retarted routinely. :rolleyes:

I'd rather read Johnsonfan.
Hey man, if you think you've got better information about this topic than I do or than CND does, go ahead and speak up. Otherwise stop wasting everyone's time with the whining.

Hardcore Texan
05-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Ok, yeah, I've been less than nice to a few people in this thread. Same goes for you and a bunch of other people in this thread. So as far as personal attacks, sure, I've participated.

What's your point? I didn't use personal attacks to try to prove that someone else was wrong. I've offered relevant and factual information to support all my points in here.

You, Nitro, and GP are simply attacking me because you don't like me, you don't actually have anything relevant or factual to say about my posts. As per usual.

Fact: you said you hope he continues to use steroids. But my post aren't relevant.

Don't like you? I don't know you, as far as how you come off on a message board, I'd rather not get into it, let's just say you treat everyone as if they are beneath you. I get it you are a smart guy, why do you use your intelligence to try and belittle others. It's pretty small-minded.

Hardcore Texan
05-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Hey man, if you think you've got better information about this topic than I do or than CND does, go ahead and speak up. Otherwise stop wasting everyone's time with the whining.

CND has been around here a long time and very helpful to a lot of posters, contributing to the board in a positive way, don't put yourself in his category.

I never once claimed to have more info that someone else....unlike you, I haven't insulted any as you have accused me of, I on the other have told you like it is. Call it whining or whatever you like, no skin off of my teeth.

I think it sucks that he used and he will be gone for 4 games that's my revelance to the thread. He cost the team! You think he should keep cheating and just not get caught. The only thing I took issue with until you ramped up the insults yet again.

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 02:58 PM

You've been riding your Radio Flyer a few years too long. Why or how could I, the retard, have anything factual to say?

Excuse me, I have some corn to shuck from my bunghole. It looks yummy.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 02:58 PM
How is this NOT speaking for him? LOL!!! That's a statement you would make about the general welfare and quality of life of a person, i.e. "I really hope my friend stops being an alcoholic because the doctor says his liver is almost gone. I don't think he wants that for himself, as a person, and neither do I." You don't use that statement when the thing you desire is for him to continue introducing chemicals that might harm himself. Do you?

Oh yeah, and you better check yourself using the word "retarded" on here.
Ok dude. You need to wake up and realize that people in the NFL use steroids. If Brian Cushing pledges to never use any drug that might harm his body ever again, he will fade away into obscurity. If that's what he wants, fine with me. He can be like Frank Okam and Amobi Okoye who care about other things more than they care about football. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, and I have better feelings towards those two than a lot of people on this board.

But I think anyone that thinks Cushing wants to take that route is on crack. I think we all know what Cushing wants to do, and that is play football and be the best. If that turns out wrong and he quits football and go back to school, I'll eat my words. But I'm not banking on it.

Spled
05-08-2010, 02:59 PM
It may well have been that Cushing got nailed for using some type of masking agent.

By the way, those of you who think Clay Matthews is clean look at his arms early in his career - http://usc.freedomblogging.com/files/2008/07/matthews0725.jpg

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 03:01 PM
CND has been around here a long time and very helpful to a lot of posters, contributing to the board in a positive way, don't put yourself in his category.

I never once claimed to have more info that someone else....unlike you, I haven't insulted any as you have accused me of, I on the other have told you like it is. Call it whining or whatever you like, no skin off of my teeth.

I think it sucks that he used and he will be gone for 4 games that's my revelance to the thread. You think he should keep cheating and just not get caught. The only thing I took issue with until you ramped up the insults yet again.
So are you attacking me or are you attacking my information? If you are attacking my information than you are attacking CND's as well because he corroborated much of what I said early in the thread and would likely corroborate much of the rest of what I've said as well. If you're attacking me as a person, which I think it's pretty obvious that you are, well, why don't you take it to PMs because it isn't adding anything to the thread and I don't have any interest in trying to defend myself further against you.

Wolf
05-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Ok dude. You need to wake up and realize that people in the NFL use steroids. If Brian Cushing pledges to never use any drug that might harm his body ever again, he will fade away into obscurity. If that's what he wants, fine with me. He can be like Frank Okam and Amobi Okoye who care about other things more than they care about football. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, and I have better feelings towards those two than a lot of people on this board.

But I think anyone that thinks Cushing wants to take that route is on crack. I think we all know what Cushing wants to do, and that is play football and be the best. If that turns out wrong and he quits football and go back to school, I'll eat my words. But I'm not banking on it.

I think he just got finished with his sociology within the last week based on his facebook.

Mailman
05-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Jay Glazer has some updates on his twitter account.

I just talked to cushing. He said he flunked a random test during the season and insists it was for a non-steroidal banned substance

He said he was sure he'd win the appeal and was stunned he lost. Was pretty adamant he didn't fail for a steroid.

http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer

Hardcore Texan
05-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Look back through my post in this thread and get back to me. I disagreed with your opinion and then you went off and you don't like people giving you back the same tone you treat others with.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 03:04 PM
I think he just got finished with his sociology within the last week based on his facebook.
Good for him. You can't play football forever (especially if you don't use steroids and HGH).

otisbean
05-08-2010, 03:04 PM
I haven't read the entire thread, but of the posts I have read I have one thought:

Do not assume he has taken steroids until it has been shown that he tested positive for steroids. He tested positive for a banned substance and there are numerous substances on that list. I think it would be wise to hold off judgement until all the info comes out on this.

The dude has a work ethic second to none, and it's easy to sit back and say he's juicing rather than simply busting his ass. Let's all wait and see how this plays out.

Wolf
05-08-2010, 03:05 PM
According to Adam Schefter, Cushing has a statement that will be posted shortly.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 03:06 PM
so everyone sees this

Merriman sat out the first 4 games of 2006. When he came back, his performance was good enough that he finished third in the balloting for 2006 Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year.

In 2007, Merriman finished the season with 68 total tackles, with 54 solo and 14 assisted tackles, performing to his usual caliber by tallying 12.5 sacks.

2008 he tore knee ligaments, and last year was also injury riddled. The idea that he wasn't the same guy after steroids (well, after he got caught) is silly. The idea he wasn't the same after ripping up his knee is the correct story.

Wolf
05-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Good for him. You can't play football forever (especially if you don't use steroids and HGH).

oh please..

Mailman
05-08-2010, 03:08 PM
"I believe we presented compelling evidence during the appeal process to challenge the test results, and I disagree with and am disappointed by the suspension," Cushing said in the statement. "Bound by the decision of the league, I regret the situation it presents to the Texans' organization, my teammates, and our fans. My dedication to a championship season in 2010 continues undeterred."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5172060

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 03:08 PM
oh please..

That was a joke.... but the HGH part is actually kind of true.

Dan B.
05-08-2010, 03:13 PM
I'lll go ahead and say it: I hope Cushing keeps using too. I don't buy the "but he's destroying his body" argument. Dude's a professional football player. Playing football destroys your body. His job is to ram himself into people as hard as possible. He has to wear as much protection as a riot officer when he goes to work because otherwise he could die with 70,000 people watching. We are asking him to sacrifice years off of his life, or at the very least we ask him to severely hamper his quality of life in his later years (see Earl Campbell).

Don't tell me that you don't like steroids for the health issues. If you were really concerned about Cushing's health, you'd prefer that he was an accountant somewhere.

Society in general turns a blind eye to roids and then feigns horrified outrage when someone gets caught. It's bothered me since the 90's baseball controversy, when the same people that cheered McGwire and Sosa on all of a sudden turned into Inquisitioners.

Society assumes that everyone is clean because we apply the legal standard of innocence over common sense. Look, it's circumstantial evidence that there were never more than 8 guys in the NFL over 300 lbs since the 20's, (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:izVTUu9lDiIJ:www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2006/10/29/a1b_nflweight_1029.html+average+nfl+offensive+line man+size+1980&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a) and today the average lineman weighs over 300 lbs. This does not conclusively prove that steroids are more frequent in today's NFL. Nevertheless it's a pretty big flashing neon sign that something may not be right with this picture.

We want our athletes to run faster, hit harder, and jump higher. We pay them millions for tiny differences in these abilities, and we proclaim them community heroes when they are good enough. The double standard when it comes to steroids in sports irritates me to no end.

False Start
05-08-2010, 03:22 PM
FYI

from the solomon thread
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6995860.html

Jay Glazer has some updates on his twitter account.

http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer

I wonder if he can try the same thing the Williams boys did in Minnesota? Maybe delay the suspension.

Wolf
05-08-2010, 03:25 PM
I wonder if he can try the same thing the Williams boys did in Minnesota? Maybe delay the suspension.

this is what happened with the Williams

The case centered on the players’ positive drug-test results for the NFL-banned substance Bumetanide. They maintained this was caused by their having consumed StarCaps, an over-the-counter dietary supplement. StarCaps contained Bumetanide, but did not list it as an ingredient on the label. (Hence, the case is commonly referred to as the “StarCaps” case.)

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1427861#post1427861

I don't know if this is kind of the same situation as Cushing's

False Start
05-08-2010, 03:27 PM
this is what happened with the Williams

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1427861#post1427861

I don't know if this is kind of the same situation as Cushing's

Oh, I see. I didn't know the full details of their case.

Hardcore Texan
05-08-2010, 03:41 PM
I'lll go ahead and say it: I hope Cushing keeps using too. I don't buy the "but he's destroying his body" argument. Dude's a professional football player. Playing football destroys your body. His job is to ram himself into people as hard as possible. He has to wear as much protection as a riot officer when he goes to work because otherwise he could die with 70,000 people watching. We are asking him to sacrifice years off of his life, or at the very least we ask him to severely hamper his quality of life in his later years (see Earl Campbell).

Don't tell me that you don't like steroids for the health issues. If you were really concerned about Cushing's health, you'd prefer that he was an accountant somewhere.

Society in general turns a blind eye to roids and then feigns horrified outrage when someone gets caught. It's bothered me since the 90's baseball controversy, when the same people that cheered McGwire and Sosa on all of a sudden turned into Inquisitioners.

Society assumes that everyone is clean because we apply the legal standard of innocence over common sense. Look, it's circumstantial evidence that there were never more than 8 guys in the NFL over 300 lbs since the 20's, (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:izVTUu9lDiIJ:www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2006/10/29/a1b_nflweight_1029.html+average+nfl+offensive+line man+size+1980&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a) and today the average lineman weighs over 300 lbs. This does not conclusively prove that steroids are more frequent in today's NFL. Nevertheless it's a pretty big flashing neon sign that something may not be right with this picture.

We want our athletes to run faster, hit harder, and jump higher. We pay them millions for tiny differences in these abilities, and we proclaim them community heroes when they are good enough. The double standard when it comes to steroids in sports irritates me to no end.

You make a compelling argument but I disagree all the way around. I enjoy watching high school football alot too and it's definitely not a prevalent there. I will never agree to the use of steriods no matter the argument. People elect to play football and people elect to use steroids and I don't condone the latter just because I am football fan. Sorry, I have to put quality of life over a game.

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Maybe you wouldn't have to drink so much and Pink Soapers like myself, steelbtexan and Second Honeymoon wouldn't be so damn irritable if McNair wasn't clueless and his complacent Smithiak regime did their damn jobs and gets us a damn playoff berth.

I am sick of the excuses and the color coded game day gimmicks and other BS. Give us a God damned playoff team. It shouldn't take a decade to get there.

And what the **** does that have to do with Brian Cushing?? Typical of the soapers unmitigated, self endulged agendas....

Randi is not a cheerleader this year because Bob McNair has no clue and is too cheap.. Pretty ridiculous, no? :thinking: Actually between you and SH, Y'all would probably try to make that argument.

Joe Texan
05-08-2010, 03:49 PM
The Comedy thread

Brian Cushing Just cost the team and it will show during the Colts game but more to my disliking it will cost us during the Dallas Game. I am dissapointed that he did this and cannot wait till he returns. We have a tough schedule and we were depending on him to get us through it. Brian I have to say that is on you bud. No telling what you took but your making millions, hire a nutrititionist for christ sake. You are the target of every roid dealer in the world.

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 03:50 PM
The Comedy thread

Brian Cushing Just cost the team and it will show during the Colts game but more to my disliking it will cost us during the Dallas Game. I am dissapointed that he did this and cannot wait till he returns. We have a tough schedule and we were depending on him to get us through it. Brian I have to say that is on you bud. No telling what you took but your making millions, hire a nutrititionist for christ sake. You are the target of every roid dealer in the world.

Comedy thread? Thread of FAIL and asshatery, maybe.

HJam72
05-08-2010, 03:54 PM
I am NOT making this up:

There is a scientist who collects the brains of deceased NFL players. They are all the color of a football (ironically), not gray like they should be, from all the hemorrhaging. Football is far worse for you than steroids. Can't say steroids are healthy at all, but football is worse. Those helmets are great for keeping them from cracking their skulls, but their brains are still slamming into the inside of them. It floats around in there, you know. On top of that, your skull is likely not smooth on the inside like the outside. It is likely somewhat jagged.

HGH, when not taken in massive quantities, is actually very good for you, although in small quantities it is useless to anyone under 30--except possibly for healing injuries, especially to joints. It has a bad rap because some of these guys have more of that than blood in their veins. :sarcasm:

Dan B.
05-08-2010, 04:15 PM
You make a compelling argument but I disagree all the way around. I enjoy watching high school football alot too and it's definitely not a prevalent there. I will never agree to the use of steriods no matter the argument. People elect to play football and people elect to use steroids and I don't condone the latter just because I am football fan. Sorry, I have to put quality of life over a game.

I can understand preferring high school sports and agree that it isn't as prevalent there (although I think it is definitely a factor, especially for certain schools). But I think that if you really don't like steroids, the NFL may not be for you. I think that the NFL, much like MLB, has no interest in completely eliminating steroids. I know a few people who say they gave up baseball after the steroids scandal -- admittedly there is a lot more evidence of widespread abuse in MLB so their anger is more understandable. Personally I think that steroids are being developed faster than the NFL can develop testing techniques. This will never stop, because society values elite athletes too much.

I also think that people who elect to play football, even in high school, are putting a game over quality of life. Sure, steroids make the problem worse. But if quality of life is all that matters be a baseball player or a golfer. You can play these sports twice as long as football. You make more money. They do not destroy your body anywhere near as much. I can't think of many sports worse than football in terms of physical wear on your body (other than boxing). Even though it's anecdotal evidence, I've known a lot of kids in high school that suffered major injuries due to football. More than every other sport combined -- although that's surely in part because so many kids here play football than the other sports that more are bound to get injured.

I accept the dangers of football when I watch it. I came to grips with the fact that I am watching people destroy themselves on live TV. From there, it wasn't that big of a jump to accept that they are going to use steroids. The incentives are too great for them to use. They are set up for life if they can run a 40 yard dash a half a second faster one day.

TexansFanatic
05-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Cushing says he didn't take steroids. He says he was suspended for another banned substance --- not roids.

leebigeztx
05-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Cushing says he didn't take steroids. He says he was suspended for another banned substance --- not roids.

Anyway it goes, he was suspended for either a masking agent or something he shouldn't have taken. Glazer didn't sound happy on sirius today. I don't see why guys just don't take the nfl approved supplements and go about there bizzness. Cheating is cheating

TexansFanatic
05-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Anyway it goes, he was suspended for either a masking agent or something he shouldn't have taken. Glazer didn't sound happy on sirius today. I don't see why guys just don't take the nfl approved supplements and go about there bizzness. Cheating is cheating

There are about a dozen stimulants on the NFL's list of banned substances. A few of them can be found in over-the-counter medicine. Ephedrine, for instance.

It's plausible he took something he shouldn't have when he was sick and one of the ingredients found its way onto a drug test. It happens.

mexican_texan
05-08-2010, 04:35 PM
You make a compelling argument but I disagree all the way around. I enjoy watching high school football alot too and it's definitely not a prevalent there.

I disagree there. Not prevalent overall, but in the good teams in Texas...

Thorn
05-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I support Cushing on this. I support him just because. I don't need another reason.

So there.

:splits:

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 04:38 PM
I support Cushing on this. I support him just because. I don't need another reason.

So there.

You can kiss my ass!!!

:splits:

It seemed unlike Thorn to not include the bolded.

TexansFanatic
05-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Sudafed and Actifed will get you suspended.

Wolf
05-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I posted what i could find when it comes to banned substances
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1428024#post1428024

Thorn
05-08-2010, 04:41 PM

An excellent fix to my post. Thanks. LOL

JB
05-08-2010, 04:55 PM

I thought we had us an imposter!

BullNation4Life
05-08-2010, 04:58 PM
How about quoting that and not someone assuming that is what it was?

And again, there are hundreds of things that can pop positive on the NFL testing. Let's wait to find out what it was before rushing to judgment.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports defensive rookie of the year Brian Cushing learned he is being suspended four games for violating the NFL's steroid policy, according to league sources.

Cushing appealed the league's decision at a hearing at the NFL scouting combine in February but was informed Friday his appeal had been rejected, according to sources.

Cushing will be allowed to participate in training camp with the Texans this summer, but then will serve his four game suspension to start the 2010 regular season.

Cushing's attorney, Harvey Steinberg, did not return telephone calls seeking comment

reason for my comment

The Pencil Neck
05-08-2010, 05:05 PM

I'm not Wagonhed and I didn't post this. BUT... I've got access to a lot of the same information. And I think my stance is fairly similar.

I'm a powerlifter. I haven't competed since 2004 but I have no doubt I'll compete again within the next year or two. I compete in drug tested federations. Primarily AAU and WNPF. Because of that, I've had to become more aware of what normal everyday OTC drugs I can't take or at least when I can't take them. Because even a normal OTC drug can give you a positive PED test. (I was a lot more aware of the testing standards and banned substances about 8-9 years ago.)

I know a lot of guys who lift in federations that do NOT test. And I know a lot of guys who are pretty up front about their drug use and I've learned a lot via osmosis from them. Some of them are scientists and from them, I've learned a lot about actual effects and some of the things that are myths.

I can't believe that any professional athlete is stupid enough to think he can take steroids and get away with it. But I can easily see someone taking something that gives a masking agent positive or some other positive. Some pretty innocuous things can cause false positives for a LONG time after you take them (pro-hormones and cough syrups are examples.)

And I think that almost all athletes are taking lots of things that they hope will improve their performance. Creatine, protein supplements, fish/flax oils, etc., etc. I've seen athletes take chances on some pretty wacky LEGAL things that may help them and won't give them a positive test.

The Pencil Neck
05-08-2010, 05:07 PM
reason for my comment

There's a difference between testing positive for violating the steroid policy and testing positive for taking steroids.

Which is what people were telling you, I think.

eriadoc
05-08-2010, 05:29 PM
This whole thread can be summarized easily:

Cushing takes steroids, everyone takes steroids, almost everyone is better at not getting caught than Cushing, and wagonhed can't engage in a discussion without arguing, irrespective of his actual argument.

Can we just /end thread already? Jeez.

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 05:32 PM
This whole thread can be summarized easily:

Cushing takes steroids, everyone takes steroids, almost everyone is better at not getting caught than Cushing, and wagonhed can't engage in a discussion without arguing, irrespective of his actual argument.

Can we just /end thread already? Jeez.

I think you forgot to add how this whole situation is all on McNair, Smith and Kubiak. :gun:

JB
05-08-2010, 05:36 PM
I think you forgot to add how this whole situation is all on McNair, Smith and Kubiak. :gun:

And that it's because he went to USC...:rake:

ATXtexanfan
05-08-2010, 05:38 PM
why hasn't he tweeted or told some reporter what it was he took?

JB
05-08-2010, 05:42 PM
why hasn't he tweeted or told some reporter what it was he took?

He kinda did...

Cushing, who said in a statement that he tested positive for a non-steroidal banned substance, appealed the league's decision at a hearing at the NFL scouting combine in February, but the linebacker was informed Friday his appeal had been rejected.

"I believe we presented compelling evidence during the appeal process to challenge the test results, and I disagree with and am disappointed by the suspension," Cushing said in the statement. "Bound by the decision of the league, I regret the situation it presents to the Texans' organization, my teammates, and our fans. My dedication to a championship season in 2010 continues undeterred."

ATXtexanfan
05-08-2010, 05:55 PM
He kinda did...

Cushing, who said in a statement that he tested positive for a non-steroidal banned substance, appealed the league's decision at a hearing at the NFL scouting combine in February, but the linebacker was informed Friday his appeal had been rejected.

is it something we all have in our houses? is it available over the counter at GNC? i wanna give him the benifit of doubt but i cant till i know what it was. ya know

JB
05-08-2010, 05:59 PM
is it something we all have in our houses? is it available over the counter at GNC? i wanna give him the benifit of doubt but i cant till i know what it was. ya know

I know, but I think you give him the benefit of the doubt until you know what it is... you know?

mattieuk
05-08-2010, 06:00 PM

I'm kinda with you here. We all supported Cush during the accusations and dismissed them as jealous rubbish last season. Now even though this has been reported as non-steroid matter, I'm still more than dubious.

All I know, until the full details are released are that he has let down the team, and for that I am furious, but he should stay on the team. If this happens again, he's gone.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 06:25 PM
How many of yalls opinions of players actually hinge on whether they use steroids/HGH or not? Serious question. If you know that a player is using do you lose all respect for them?

Let me just run through a who's who list of people who, in my opinion, are without a doubt using now or have used in the past few years:

MJD
http://tonysports.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/maurice-jones-drew.jpg

DWill and J. Stewart
http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/car_rbs_blog.jpg

AP
http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/ballhype/photos_large/2008/09/18/adrian-peterson-02_.jpg

(and pretty much all the other 220lb ripped RBs out there)

moving on to TEs
http://football4america.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/jacked-vernon.jpg

Kevin Winslow
http://blog.cleveland.com/plutoblog_impact/2009/04/large_Kellen%20Winslow.jpg

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 06:26 PM
And here's some defense, just for kicks.

Dwight Freeney
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_scPWcbdh8cg/Sm97wxuwRSI/AAAAAAAAAz4/BmDTtKs1kVY/s400/dwight-freeney-teairra-mari1.jpg

Mario Williams
http://cdn1.libsyn.com/packpride/SpringGame/Mario.jpg?nvb=20100508221109&nva=20100509222109&t=01f4c2cf2d94461ee93b6

Andre Carter
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/12/06/PH2006120601176.jpg

Trent Cole
http://blog.nj.com/giants_impact/2008/12/medium_trent-cole-eagles.jpg

Darnell Dockett
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/46184/610x.jpg

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 06:37 PM
If only wagonhed could devote the same energy into our BOTD...

Nice photos but your presumption is lost on me. I've met and have known plenty of ripped people. I've never met anyone that I knew was to be juicing. They seemed to be normal people who treat their bodies as a temple. Good on them.

Ole Miss Texan
05-08-2010, 06:38 PM
I just talked to cushing. He said he flunked a random test during the season and insists it was for a non-steroidal banned substance http://twitter.com/jay_glazer

Sounds like the test he failed was during the season and not at last years' combine?

Honoring Earl 34
05-08-2010, 06:44 PM
A serious question from a guy that noticed the baseball players shrunk a bunch after they were busted .

How will this affect Cushing the player ? Will he drop weight ? Will he be a has been after one year ?

Yes ... my main concern is Cushing the player . To me , he took a calculated risk and now my fellow fans , who paid good money to watch him , will be impacted .

My personal opinion is , where there is smoke , there's fire . He's parlayed this into millions and I hope he can come back clean and play well .

Wolf
05-08-2010, 06:47 PM
http://twitter.com/jay_glazer

Sounds like the test he failed was during the season and not at last years' combine?

I take it Couture talking about cushing?

# Right now, no, we will not be training him. We do not want to be associated w any of this crap. Gotta cool off b4 we make a final decision about 3 hours ago via UberTwitter

http://twitter.com/jay_glazer

JB
05-08-2010, 06:49 PM
A serious question from a guy that noticed the baseball players shrunk a bunch after they were busted .

How will this affect Cushing the player ? Will he drop weight ? Will he be a has been after one year ?

Yes ... my main concern is Cushing the player . To me , he took a calculated risk and now my fellow fans , who paid good money to watch him , will be impacted .

My personal opinion is , where there is smoke , there's fire . He's parlayed this into millions and I hope he can come back clean and play well .

It seems you are taking it for granted that he was busted for steroids. If he was, I agree with you. If not, I think this is a bit harsh.

Wolf
05-08-2010, 06:51 PM
I guess eric answered my question
Wow! With friends like Jay Glazer who needs enemies! He used Cush to pump up his service and then when Cush hits a bump in the road, he Wants nothing to do with him. Sad to see just another guy out there for personal gain and could care less about the people he works with.

I'm not saying Cush it's ok to break the rules but you stick by your friends, not run from them when they face adversity.

http://twitter.com/ericwinston

awtysst
05-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Big strong bodies don't JUST come from juicing. They also come from HGH!

Seriously though I have a buddy that played DT in DII football. Had a great season but did not get invited to the combine. His teammate and friend did. Between the end of the season my buddy worked out like a mad man, twice a day and did position drills like crazy. His teammate never did. The teammate did poorly at the combine and went from a potential 3rd rounder to undrafted FA. Because of my friend's work ethic he was given an opportunity to play Arena ball and even try out with the Vikings. As solid as he was in DII the NFL players were faster and stronger and he knew he needed some help, so for the first (and only time he said) he did a steroid cycle and has regretted it ever since.

While he said he never saw guys shooting up in the lockeroom, there was an understanding that a large majority were doing something to enhance their performance.

So, for those that think PEDs in sports are an isolated matter it really isn't. While nutrition, supplements, and better exercise has improved, HGH, Roids, or whatever else athletes are using have also significantly affected Sports in 2010.

awtysst
05-08-2010, 07:15 PM
It seems you are taking it for granted that he was busted for steroids. If he was, I agree with you. If not, I think this is a bit harsh.

Here is the thing, it doesn't really matter what he was suspended for. If it is Roids, its bad for obvious reasons. If it is a supplement that can act as a masking agent it is bad. Your job as an NFL player is to get out on the field. If you choose to use supplements you better be a chemist and know EVERYTHING that is in the supplement and know the interaction effects. Simply taking these things without this knowledge is borderline reckless and teeters on the stupid.

False Start
05-08-2010, 07:21 PM
IIRC Bush wanted a Romanowski type of player when he drafted Cush. Careful what you wish for I guess.

I think I remember him saying that now that you mentioned it. They definitely have the same demeanor on the football field (excluding Cush spitting in people's faces.)

I really hope this turns out to be something other than roids. Even if it doesn't, that wont change my opinion on Cushing. He will still be my favorite defensive player, and I will still respect the guy for the way he plays the game. :jam:

JB
05-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Here is the thing, it doesn't really matter what he was suspended for. If it is Roids, its bad for obvious reasons. If it is a supplement that can act as a masking agent it is bad. Your job as an NFL player is to get out on the field. If you choose to use supplements you better be a chemist and know EVERYTHING that is in the supplement and know the interaction effects. Simply taking these things without this knowledge is borderline reckless and teeters on the stupid.

My point was that at this point, we do not know what he tested positive for. He has made a statement that it was for a non-steroid substance. And that could have been from taking a OTC for a cold.

Joe Texan
05-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Dude did a wagon hit your head or what?

gtexan02
05-08-2010, 07:31 PM
I just don't believe that someone as careful as Cushing with his body would take one of the non-steroid substances and get busted for it.

Im guessing it was either a masking agent or something similar if it wasn't a steroid

JB
05-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Dude did a wagon hit your head or what?

U talkin' at me?

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 07:32 PM
The Cushroid will be immediately be forgiven with any combination of two in a game: an int, a sack, a Peyton leg break, a safety, or caused a fumble.

JB
05-08-2010, 07:35 PM
The Cushroid will be immediately be forgiven with any combination of two in a game: an int, a sack, a Peyton leg break, a safety, or caused a fumble.

Would a Peyton Cush-lash suffice?

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Would a Peyton Cush-lash suffice?

As long as he's Theismann-ed.

Grid
05-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Support him or gtfo in my opinion.

If you are a Texans fan.. 24 hours ago you loved Brian Cushing. And if you are a Texans fan.. i can understand disappointment, sadness, even anger... but shitting on Cushing today is just unforgivable. It is possible to voice your disappointment without bad mouthing, name calling, or making wild accusations.

I need to make a list of all you ****ers that are throwing him under the bus. You people are pathetic. I can only hope that some day you find yourself in a tough situation and everyone who cares about you uses that opportunity to walk all over you.

For those of you here who have never made a mistake.. I hope you have contacted your church because as of right now, im pretty sure no one knew that Jesus was walking the earth again. You shoulda let us know when you got here big J.

For the rest of you.. congrats on being a normal flawed human being. Maybe you should use that shared human imperfection to try and generate some empathy for the 21 year old kid that is already dealing with the accusations and ridicule of people all over the country... I dont think he needs it from his supporters at home too.

Anyway.. if Cushing failed the test due to a masking agent or some such.. but not any true PEDs.. and he is naturally a beast, and he comes back and continues to be a superstar for us, I hope all you judgemental bitches choke on the crow you are gonna have to eat, and die a horrible violent death.

gtexan02
05-08-2010, 07:44 PM

If you are a Texans fan.. 24 hours ago you loved Brian Cushing. And if you are a Texans fan.. i can understand disappointment, sadness, even anger... but shitting on Cushing today is just unforgivable. It is possible to voice your disappointment without bad mouthing, name calling, or making wild accusations.

I need to make a list of all you ****ers that are throwing him under the bus. You people are pathetic. I can only hope that some day you find yourself in a tough situation and everyone who cares about you uses that opportunity to walk all over you.

For those of you here who have never made a mistake.. I hope you have contacted your church because as of right now, im pretty sure no one knew that Jesus was walking the earth again. You shoulda let us know when you got here big J.

For the rest of you.. congrats on being a normal flawed human being. Maybe you should use that shared human imperfection to try and generate some empathy for the 21 year old kid that is already dealing with the accusations and ridicule of people all over the country... I dont think he needs it from his supporters at home too.

Anyway.. if Cushing failed the test due to a masking agent or some such.. but not any true PEDs.. and he is naturally a beast, and he comes back and continues to be a superstar for us, I hope all you judgemental bitches choke on the crow you are gonna have to eat, and die horrible violent deaths.

Our star player is banned for 4 games for cheating, and you're surprised people are upset?

:mcnugget:

PS: Love these two comments in the same post

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 07:45 PM

Anyway.. if Cushing failed the test due to a masking agent or some such.. but not any true PEDs.. and he is naturally a beast, and he comes back and continues to be a superstar for us, I hope all you judgemental bitches choke on the crow you are gonna have to eat, and die horrible violent deaths.
best post ever

gary
05-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Will Brian own up to his mistake? That is all I would like to see not have him go run and hide? If not he'll lose all my respect but I think that is a pretty simple thing to do.

Grid
05-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Our star player is banned for 4 games for cheating, and you're surprised people are upset?

:mcnugget:

He was banned for 4 games for failing a drug test. A test that could have been failed for reasons OTHER than steroids.

And if he DID fail it for REAL steroids.. it is unknown how long he has been on them, or how much he was taking. It is not possible to inject yourself with football knowledge or football instincts.

Whatever the case... what I know for sure is that we dont know the whole story yet. We may never know the whole story.. and the only way we, as fans, will be able to judge the extent of what happened is to watch him play when he comes back and see if he is not the same player he was.

This whole "hes a cheater" bullshit needs to stop. Innocent until proven guilty... our legal system is built on the concept. If you want to label people based on suspicions, then you need to move to a dictatorship comrade.

Im not at all surprised that people are upset.. im not even surprised that a bunch of hotheads are already talking about how terrible a person he is and how he sucks and probably worships the devil and eats kittens to bulk up. I stopped being surprised at how superficial and unintelligent Texans message board fans could be years ago. What I am is annoyed. Annoyed that you are doing it again.. and to a good young player. I guess I was a little bit hopeful that the positive direction this team has been taking.. and the greater success we have been having... would have weaned some of you off of this kind of behavior. Seems like yall were just waiting for the right time to pounce though.

PS: Love these two comments in the same post

The first one was serious. The second one was very obviously a joke. Not that I expect you to be capable of comprehending anything so subtle. You are very obviously a person who takes things at face value, and does not want or care to dig for deeper meanings before drawing conclusions.

Incidentally..in case you were worried, if Cushing does come back and is still a superstar..you will not literally have to eat crow. So no worries.

gary
05-08-2010, 08:00 PM
A bad hair day or did your girlfriend leave you? J/K. LMAO.

JB
05-08-2010, 08:03 PM

I applaud all this except the bolded.

Honoring Earl 34
05-08-2010, 08:05 PM
I just don't believe that someone as careful as Cushing with his body would take one of the non-steroid substances and get busted for it.

Im guessing it was either a masking agent or something similar if it wasn't a steroid

I read a book about Dick Butkus and he said that he wasn't nearly as mean as folks made him out to be . His explanation was , he learned that fear gets in a players head . Butkus was obsessed with being a great player so he became a nasty dude on the field . I see Cushing as the same guy , lives and breathes football and would do whatever it took to be great .

I hope the best for Cushing and the fans and will wait and see what happens . It is a buzz kill no matter what .

JB
05-08-2010, 08:06 PM
He was banned for 4 games for failing a drug test. A test that could have been failed for reasons OTHER than steroids.

And if he DID fail it for REAL steroids.. it is unknown how long he has been on them, or how much he was taking. It is not possible to inject yourself with football knowledge or football instincts.

Whatever the case... what I know for sure is that we dont know the whole story yet. We may never know the whole story.. and the only way we, as fans, will be able to judge the extent of what happened is to watch him play when he comes back and see if he is not the same player he was.

This whole "hes a cheater" bullshit needs to stop. Innocent until proven guilty... our legal system is built on the concept. If you want to label people based on suspicions, then you need to move to a dictatorship comrade.

Im not at all surprised that people are upset.. im not even surprised that a bunch of hotheads are already talking about how terrible a person he is and how he sucks and probably worships the devil and eats kittens to bulk up. I stopped being surprised at how superficial and unintelligent Texans message board fans could be years ago. What I am is annoyed. Annoyed that you are doing it again.. and to a good young player. I guess I was a little bit hopeful that the positive direction this team has been taking.. and the greater success we have been having... would have weaned some of you off of this kind of behavior. Seems like yall were just waiting for the right time to pounce though.

The first one was serious. The second one was very obviously a joke. Not that I expect you to be capable of comprehending anything so subtle. You are very obviously a person who takes things at face value, and does not want or care to dig for deeper meanings before drawing conclusions.

Incidentally..in case you were worried, if Cushing does come back and is still a superstar..you will not literally have to eat crow. So no worries.

Bill this may be your best post ever! But surely you know better than to expect loyalty or common sense on this MB

TexansFanatic
05-08-2010, 08:12 PM
If you want to label people based on suspicions, then you need to move to a dictatorship comrade.

I'm not completely refuting your post. I also want to believe Cushing is telling the truth when he suggests this is really a case of the NFL making a mountain out of a molehill.

But, as for your anger that the people who are upset with him and are jumping to conclusions: It's not like they are making crap up out of thin air. The guy failed a drug test and has been suspended for four games. The NFL believes he's guilty of a pretty severe infraction and is backing it up with a pretty severe penalty. This, in addition to all of the rumors about Cushing since he was in high school, in addition to the before and after pics of Cushing while at USC, creates a preponderance of evidence that our star linebacker is a juicer.

And as far as being innocent until proven guilty: a jury of twelve people found O.J. Simpson not guilty of murder. If I tell you O.J. is a murderer will you tell me to move to a dictatorship?

SAMURAITEXAN
05-08-2010, 08:15 PM
I have been very quiet about Cush's situation since we only heard one side story til now. I hope everything would be alright for Cush and hope us(Texans' fans) stay behind him as we should. At least I am.

Go Cush!!!
Go Texans!!!

gary
05-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I am not angry yet but if fans would like to be it is their personal right to be. Don't people have any rights without others getting upset about it anymore? It is really just other opinions that is it.

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 08:24 PM
FWIW, I'm a big Brian Cushing fan. I don't care what he puts in his body. What I do care about is that he got himself suspended for 4 games. 1/4 of a season... gone. I will continue to cheer for Brian Cushing as long as he keeps on producing. Being suspended isn't what I call contributing. I heart the Cush but right now I'm disappointed in him and I'm going to have some fun while I'm at it. Violating the banned substance list considering his 'history' is gay and warrants ridicule.

Honoring Earl 34
05-08-2010, 08:26 PM
FWIW, I'm a big Brian Cushing fan. I don't care what he puts in his body. What I do care about is that he got himself suspended for 4 games. 1/4 of a season... gone. I will continue to cheer for Brian Cushing as long as he keeps on producing. Being suspended isn't what I call contributing. I heart the Cush but right now I'm disappointed in him and I'm going to have some fun while I'm at it. Violating the banned substance list considering his 'history' is gay and warrants ridicule.

How much difference is it than an actress/model getting a boob job ?

Grid
05-08-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm not completely refuting your post. I also want to believe Cushing is telling the truth when he suggests this is really a case of the NFL making a mountain out of a molehill.

But, as for your anger that the people who are upset with him and are jumping to conclusions: It's not like they are making crap up out of thin air. The guy failed a drug test and has been suspended for four games. The NFL believes he's guilty of a pretty severe infraction and is backing it up with a pretty severe penalty. This, in addition to all of the rumors about Cushing since he was in high school, in addition to the before and after pics of Cushing while at USC, creates a preponderance of evidence that our star linebacker is a juicer.

And as far as being innocent until proven guilty: a jury of twelve people found O.J. Simpson not guilty of murder. If I tell you O.J. is a murderer will you tell me to move to a dictatorship?

Big whoop? That preponderance of evidence was there before yesterday, why werent you throwing him under the bus since then? Because now he has failed a drug test? But it has already been stated that the test can be failed for things other than steroid use.

What im getting at is that there is a reasonable doubt that he is a juicer. You are looking at before and after pictures posted on the net by USC haters and making up your mind about him before you have enough information.

Consider this. If the evidence that he has been juicing since high school is SO compelling and damning.. do you really think the Texans would have drafted him? Or, if they drafted him despite that.. do you think they would have just left it alone and let him go about his business however he chose to, or would they have tried to protect their investment and insure that he is clean and stays that way?

You seem to think that Cushing has just been injecting himself daily for the last 5 years and no one cared or tested him. I think it is possible he took steroids in the past.. but I think it is just as possible that he is clean and has been clean for a while, and that he failed this drug test due to other things.

Which one is it? I dont know.. and neither should you. There is no clear cut "verdict" on this.. and to pass judgement on the kid as though you KNOW what he did; its just wrong.

As for the OJ case. Do I really need to explain that the justice system isnt perfect? Do we really need to debate the merits of being Guilty till Innocent or Innocent until Guilty.

Ole Miss Texan
05-08-2010, 08:33 PM

I think it's be like an model with fake tits entering an all-natural beauty contest. pretty sure its against the rules.

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 08:33 PM

Getting a boob job isn't going to get anyone suspended. Even Cushing can go get himself a boob job if he wanted. He won't get suspended for that. Like I said... I don't care what he puts in his body. I don't judge there. What I do judge is him missing 4 games. No matter if that came via a Haynesworth head stomp or a Rapethisberger or a steroid. I expect his ass on the field 16 games a year (injuries or family matters are an acceptable absence).

Kaiser Toro
05-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Cushing may have cost us a quick start, with his four game absence. An up and coming defense will have a huge void those first four games. That is really all that matters to me.

I do not discount his tenacity and work ethic whether he is on the juice or not - so I firmly believe he will be prepared to play Week 5 and make a difference.

This is a significant hit for the defense, and am not sure how they will respond. In our short history we have not responded well to adversity, and our fan base's lack of confidence, in my opinion, is directly related to the team not sacking up. Perhaps this is the year, until then, this sucks.

ObsiWan
05-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Im not at all surprised that people are upset.. im not even surprised that a bunch of hotheads are already talking about how terrible a person he is and how he sucks and probably worships the devil and eats kittens to bulk up.

Wait... what?
When did kittens get on the banned substance list?
:runaway:

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Wait... what?
When did kittens get on the banned substance list?
:runaway:

PETA lobbied for it. :worm:

Wolf
05-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Lance's blog

Is Cushing a man or machine and how much did the Texans know about him?

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/texansnfl/

ObsiWan
05-08-2010, 08:49 PM

To my knowledge there's no rule against boob jobs (or lyposuction or any other type of nip-tuck) in Hollywood. There are rules, clearly defined rules, against what NFL athletes cannot take as performance enhancing drugs.

When an athlete signs his contract, he agrees to abide by those rules. For all we know, Cushing could have taken Sudafed and triggered the FAIL alarm on the drug test. So, bottom line, it's on him - and his nutritionists and trainers and doctors - to make sure he's taking the acceptable things.

With me, it's more disappointment that his support system let him down, than anger at Cushing himself.

This is no different than if he twisted an ankle in T/C and had to miss a month while it healed. I'd be just as bummed in either case.

TexansFanatic
05-08-2010, 09:04 PM
That preponderance of evidence was there before yesterday, why werent you throwing him under the bus since then?

Because before yesterday he hadn't failed a drug test.

What im getting at is that there is a reasonable doubt that he is a juicer. You are looking at before and after pictures posted on the net by USC haters and making up your mind about him before you have enough information.

Yes, there is reasonable doubt he is a juicer. But there is also a lot of evidence that he is.

Consider this. If the evidence that he has been juicing since high school is SO compelling and damning.. do you really think the Texans would have drafted him?

Excellent question. The answer is: I sure hope not, but it looks kinda like they might have.

You seem to think that Cushing has just been injecting himself daily for the last 5 years and no one cared or tested him.

Or he managed to beat all the tests until now.

Which one is it? I dont know.. and neither should you. There is no clear cut "verdict" on this.. and to pass judgement on the kid as though you KNOW what he did; its just wrong.

A clear cut verdict---no. But a preponderance of evidence that he's a juicer---yes.

As for the OJ case. Do I really need to explain that the justice system isnt perfect? Do we really need to debate the merits of being Guilty till Innocent or Innocent until Guilty.

OJ was found Not Guilty after a criminal trial.

OJ was found Liable after a civil trial.

Again, I'm with you that we don't know all the facts. I'm with you in wanting to support him until I'm dead certain he's guilty. But to get angry at the posters here who are buying into the idea that our star linebacker is a juicer is to ignore a lot of evidence that supports their conclusions.

Kulluminatii
05-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Even Cushing can go get himself a boob job if he wanted.

Cushing with boobs....baad image...verry baaad image :gun:.

GuerillaBlack
05-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Cushing may have cost us a quick start, with his four game absence. An up and coming defense will have a huge void those first four games. That is really all that matters to me.

I do not discount his tenacity and work ethic whether he is on the juice or not - so I firmly believe he will be prepared to play Week 5 and make a difference.

This is a significant hit for the defense, and am not sure how they will respond. In our short history we have not responded well to adversity, and our fan base's lack of confidence, in my opinion, is directly related to the team not sacking up. Perhaps this is the year, until then, this sucks.

This is true, but maybe the defense can rally around it and produce for the first four games without him. Then, when he comes back, it's the added bonus/gravy on top. I think it can happen.

And the thread title should be changed, because it wasn't steroids.

pbat488
05-08-2010, 09:19 PM
this thread
http://www.pulpit-pimps.org/images/general-images/ten-favorite-knee-jerks.jpg

:ahhaha:

being we don't have all the facts yet

awesome.

must spread rep...

NitroGSXR
05-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Cushing with boobs....baad image...verry baaad image :gun:.

I think he's had a breast reduction in the past. They once had the cone of shame on them.

ObsiWan
05-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Again, I'm with you that we don't know all the facts. I'm with you in wanting to support him until I'm dead certain he's guilty. But to get angry at the posters here who are buying into the idea that our star linebacker is a juicer is to ignore a lot of evidence that supports their conclusions.

What "evidence"? I've yet to see the lab report showing what was in his system that triggered the FAIL. It could have been some OTC medication like Sudafed or some diarhetic or something. As to the before and after pictures, I've seen too much photoshop work to believe any internet posted pictures.

And yeah, the NFL busted him. That's a fact. But innocent folks have been busted before. That, too, is a fact.

Now I ain't sayin' he did or didn't. We don't know, and probably never will. But as long as he wears our colors, I'll support him.

JB
05-08-2010, 09:30 PM
What "evidence"? I've yet to see the lab report showing what was in his system that triggered the FAIL. It could have been some OTC medication like Sudafed or some diarhetic or something. As to the before and after pictures, I've seen too much photoshop work to believe any internet posted pictures.

And yeah, the NFL busted him. That's a fact. But innocent folks have been busted before. That, too, is a fact.

Now I ain't sayin' he did or didn't. We don't know, and probably never will. But as long as he wears our colors, I'll support him.

You mean you didn't jump to a conclusion?

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 09:31 PM

How novel!

Rey
05-08-2010, 09:32 PM
I can't be upset at fans who are upset with Cushing.

Whether it was steroids or something else Cush brought this on himself. That said, I will be happy and anxious upon his return.

ObsiWan
05-08-2010, 09:36 PM

of course I did.
my conclusion was: "I don't know"
:D

we have a saying where I work.
"In God we Trust. All others must bring DATA."

Lucky
05-08-2010, 09:52 PM

I need to make a list of all you ****ers that are throwing him under the bus. You people are pathetic.
I'll tell you what's pathetic. Any poster who thinks their opinion counts more than anyone else's. And thinks that "making a list" means anything more than squat.

You have an opinion on Brian Cushing, or anyone else on the Texans, state it. But calling out one, or a group of posters is uncalled for and unacceptable. They've done nothing but state their opinion. State yours regarding Brian Cushing and/or the NFL, and move on.

Brian Cushing cheated. Says the NFL. And their opinion is the one that counts. That doesn't mean Texan fans should necessarily disown Brian Cushing. But is it reasonable to be upset that his actions have caused the loss of his services for the initial 4 games? I think that's very reasonable. Is it understandable to be disappointed that Cushing's actions have cast a shadow over his tremendous rookie season (and the organization as a whole)? Yes, very understandable.

I'm going to continue to cheer for Brian Cushing after he returns from his deserved suspension. I believe in 2nd chances. But, I also believe in not burying my head in the sand when mistakes are made by the organization, individual coaches, or players. Just because they bear the moniker "Texans". Brian Cushing made a mistake, and should own up to it like a man. If he's not capable of that, then just not making the mistake again will have to be good enough.

BullNation4Life
05-08-2010, 09:52 PM
So this is what is feels like to be a Cowboy fan? Hmmmm, makes me feel all tingly inside....

I ain't mad he was on roids or whatnot, I'm mad he didn't hide it well enough and got caught...

I like 500ft hrs and monster hits on the grid iron and if it take some advanced science to bring me my entertainment, so be it....

I am not as worried about performance but more concerned about Cushing being able to stay healthy now if he is off what ever he was on....

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 09:53 PM
There are rules, clearly defined rules, against what NFL athletes cannot take as performance enhancing drugs.

Just thought I would share a couple excerpts from the NFL POLICY ON ANABOLIC STEROIDS
AND RELATED SUBSTANCES 2009

from the bottom of the first list:

Testosterone Andronate 1-Testosterone ---
Tetrahydrogestrinone THG
Trenbolone Finaject

and related substances

and the next list...

Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) Novarel, Menotropins
Insulin Growth Factor (IGF-1) ---
Erythropoietin (EPO) ---

and related substances

See for yourself: http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/images/oldImages/fck/2009%20Steroid%20Policy.pdf

Doesn't look very clearly defined to me.

The Pencil Neck
05-08-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm just going to throw this out there as one possible explanation of what happened.

During the season, Cush has an allergy attack or something. He takes some OTC decongestant or some OTC allergy medication that has a decongestant. He gets randomly drug tested out of the blue. He tests positive for pseudo-ephedrine. That's a violation.

He gets told he tested positive.

In February, he appeals and he provides the NFL a bunch of documentation about what happened and he expects to be exonerated.

He wasn't.

I'm not saying that's what happened. But it is one of many different possible scenarios. For us fans, just sitting out here with no information... we don't know. It doesn't make sense that Cush is doing bodybuilder/powerlifter types of steroid cycles because there's no way he can do those and have any hope of passing a random drug test.

So, I'm not ticked off about this. I'm not expecting to see some huge deflation of the Cush or a sudden decrease in playing ability. It could happen but I'm not expecting it.

wagonhed
05-08-2010, 09:57 PM
I just realized another thing that hasn't been mentioned here. There are currently no available methods for testing for HGH. And Cushing can now afford to take it (it costs thousands of dollars a month). So steroids or no steroids, there's nothing stopping him from using HGH from now on.

ObsiWan
05-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Just thought I would share a couple excerpts from the NFL POLICY ON ANABOLIC STEROIDS
AND RELATED SUBSTANCES 2009

from the bottom of the first list:

and the next list...

See for yourself: http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/images/oldImages/fck/2009%20Steroid%20Policy.pdf

Doesn't look very clearly defined to me.

That's why one should get nutritionists, doctors, and chemists on your payroll if one is inclined to dabble in this mess. Pay them to keep you clean while improving your physical performance.

I'm more disappointed in his support system than I am Cushing. But I said that already, I thought.

Wolf
05-08-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm just going to throw this out there as one possible explanation of what happened.

During the season, Cush has an allergy attack or something. He takes some OTC decongestant or some OTC allergy medication that has a decongestant. He gets randomly drug tested out of the blue. He tests positive for pseudo-ephedrine. That's a violation.

In February, he appeals and he provides the NFL a bunch of documentation about what happened and he expects to be exonerated.

He wasn't.

I'm not saying that's what happened. But it is one of many different possible scenarios. For us fans, just sitting out here with no information... we don't know. It doesn't make sense that Cush is doing bodybuilder/powerlifter types of steroid cycles because there's no way he can do those and have any hope of passing a random drug test.

So, I'm not ticked off about this. I'm not expecting to see some huge deflation of the Cush or a sudden decrease in playing ability. It could happen but I'm not expecting it.

exactly but people (on his facebook page) started going off on how they knew he was doing steroids all along ,etc, etc and jumped to conclusions on it and wouldn't wait for Cushing to come out with a statement.

I am disappointed in it but, hopefully it is a learning experience.

BullNation4Life
05-08-2010, 09:58 PM

He wasn't.

He is a cheater and a scallywag and should be strung up by his tiny nutz and beaten like a pinata.....:pissed:

BullNation4Life
05-08-2010, 09:59 PM
I just realized another thing that hasn't been mentioned here. There are currently no available methods for testing for HGH. And Cushing can now afford to take it (it costs thousands of dollars a month). So steroids or no steroids, there's nothing stopping him from using HGH from now on.

nope and if he wants to play for a long time, he should stock up on the H...

The Pencil Neck
05-08-2010, 09:59 PM
He is a cheater and a scallywag and should be strung up by his tiny nutz and beaten like a pinata.....:pissed:

Or that.

TexansFanatic
05-08-2010, 10:01 PM
i'm going to continue to cheer for brian cushing after he returns from his deserved suspension. I believe in 2nd chances. But, i also believe in not burying my head in the sand when mistakes are made by the organization, individual coaches, or players. Just because they bear the moniker "texans".

bing - freaking - go!

awtysst
05-08-2010, 10:13 PM

Anyway.. if Cushing failed the test due to a masking agent or some such.. but not any true PEDs.. and he is naturally a beast, and he comes back and continues to be a superstar for us, I hope all you judgemental bitches choke on the crow you are gonna have to eat, and die a horrible violent death.

You have succeed in essentially flushing your reputation down the drain in my eyes with that last comment. There are ways to react when you are passionate about a topic and that was not it.

JB
05-08-2010, 10:14 PM
I'll tell you what's pathetic. Any poster who thinks their opinion counts more than anyone else's. And thinks that "making a list" means anything more than squat.

You have an opinion on Brian Cushing, or anyone else on the Texans, state it. But calling out one, or a group of posters is uncalled for and unacceptable. They've done nothing but state their opinion. State yours regarding Brian Cushing and/or the NFL, and move on.

Brian Cushing cheated. Says the NFL. And their opinion is the one that counts. That doesn't mean Texan fans should necessarily disown Brian Cushing. But is it reasonable to be upset that his actions have caused the loss of his services for the initial 4 games? I think that's very reasonable. Is it understandable to be disappointed that Cushing's actions have cast a shadow over his tremendous rookie season (and the organization as a whole)? Yes, very understandable.

I'm going to continue to cheer for Brian Cushing after he returns from his deserved suspension. I believe in 2nd chances. But, I also believe in not burying my head in the sand when mistakes are made by the organization, individual coaches, or players. Just because they bear the moniker "Texans". Brian Cushing made a mistake, and should own up to it like a man. If he's not capable of that, then just not making the mistake again will have to be good enough.

Thanks for the reminder Lucky! I think that many of us forget that opinions are just like assholes. Everybody's got one and they all stink!

We don't need none of that smarter than you or holier than you crap here on a football fan message board...

awtysst
05-08-2010, 10:16 PM

:clap: Well said!

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the reminder Lucky! I think that many of us forget that opinions are just like assholes. Everybody's got one and they all stink!

We don't need none of that smarter than you or holier than you crap here on a football fan message board...

Not really. Mine smells like roses. :slapfight:

Well said about the "smarter than you............................."

jjohns1
05-08-2010, 10:25 PM
wuts odds on diuretic?

JB
05-08-2010, 10:31 PM
wuts odds on diuretic?

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx307/TexanJB/duck-1.jpg

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 10:40 PM
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx307/TexanJB/duck-1.jpg

I got this.. (for your slow azz), "What is the odds of this being diuretics?"

Thank you and good night. *takes bow*

mussop
05-08-2010, 10:46 PM
read the sig. exactly why we should of taken Oher. And cmon everyone knows Cushing took steroids when at USC. To say any differnt is just....well you know.

JB
05-08-2010, 10:48 PM
I got this.. (for your slow azz), "What is the odds of this being diuretics?"

Thank you and good night. *takes bow*

Thank you! You know how old farts like Thorn ( and me to a lesser extent ) tend to get confused...

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Thank you! You know how old farts like Thorn ( and me to a lesser extent ) tend to get confused...

No worries.. I also speak Joe Texanese. :tiphat:

JB
05-08-2010, 10:58 PM
No worries.. I also speak Joe Texanese. :tiphat:

You been around awhile! :thisbig:

Texan_Bill
05-08-2010, 11:02 PM
You been around awhile! :thisbig:

:foottap: WTF?? Are you saying I'm old? Just remember this, you will always be a decade older than me... :kingkong:

JB
05-08-2010, 11:06 PM
:foottap: WTF?? Are you saying I'm old? Just remember this, you will always be a decade older than me... :kingkong:

That's *******ing cold man! Just downright cold! Watcha have to bring that up for?