PDA

View Full Version : Mini Camp & OTAs

JWarren14
05-07-2010, 06:15 PM
FYI:

Minicamp: June 14-16 OTAs: May 17-20, May 24-27, June 1-3, June 8-10

Looking forward to reading how some players look after coming back from the off-season.

rmartin65
05-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Speaking of which, when are the rookies (drafted) going to be signed? Its been what, 2 weeks? The lower round guys should be getting close eh?

awtysst
05-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Speaking of which, when are the rookies (drafted) going to be signed? Its been what, 2 weeks? The lower round guys should be getting close eh?

Good question. I think first rounders are usually just before training camp. I would say about 2-3 weeks before that the lower round picks sign. Remember Harrison did not graduate from Stanford until June, so he was signed after that. Probably july?

rmartin65
05-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Good question. I think first rounders are usually just before training camp. I would say about 2-3 weeks before that the lower round picks sign. Remember Harrison did not graduate from Stanford until June, so he was signed after that. Probably july?

I believe you are speaking some serious truth there. I just want to get everyone in camp this year. Rough opening schedule, and losing Cushing does not help. Everyone needs to be on the sam page and ready from the get-go.

awtysst
05-08-2010, 11:39 PM
I believe you are speaking some serious truth there. I just want to get everyone in camp this year. Rough opening schedule, and losing Cushing does not help. Everyone needs to be on the sam page and ready from the get-go.

I do not anticipate a problem getting everyone in on time. Jackson will get slotted in between #19 and #21. He will sign right around the time everyone else does, between 3 days and 3 hours before training camp!

ArlingtonTexan
05-09-2010, 08:56 AM

Maybe a couple, but usually most of the draft picks are signed somewhere between the 4th of July and training camp

painekiller
05-09-2010, 09:39 AM

Rookie Signing Dates

2009 Season
July 31 First Practice Day
Aug 1 (1) Brian Cushing
July 31 (2) Connor Barwin
July 24 (3) Antoine Caldwell
July 24 (5) James Casey
July 17 (4a) Glover Quinn
June 17, (4b) Anthony Hill
June 11, (7) Troy Nolan
June 8 (6) Brice McCain

2008 Season
July 25 First Practice Day
July 25 (1)Duane Brown
July 21 (3)Antwaun Molden
July 21 (3)Steve Slaton
July 21 (5)Frank Okam
July 16 (4)Xavier Adibi
June 26 (7)Alex Brink
June 19 (6)Dominique Barber

2007 Season
July 27 First Practice Day
July 27 (1)Amobi Okoye
July 26 (4)Fred Bennett
July 26 (5)Brandon Frye
July 24 (3)Jacoby Jones
July 23 (5)Brandon Harrison
July 23 (6)Kasey Studdard
July 19 (7)Zac Diles

2006 Season
July 28 First Practice Day
July 23 (3)Charles Spencer
July 23 (3)Eric Winston
July 13 (6)Wali Lundy
July 13 (7)David Anderson
July 12 (4)Owen Daniels
July 07 (2)DeMeco Ryans
April 28 (1)Mario Williams

GuerillaBlack
05-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Why do we always have one of the latest Mini-Camps/OTAs? I hate the waiting game.

painekiller
05-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Why do we always have one of the latest Mini-Camps/OTAs? I hate the waiting game.

Kubiak had throat surgery and had to wait for the throat to heal enough for him to return to work. When I had the same surgery it was some time before I was 100%.

Also some of the younger players have been going to school, this gives them a chance to finish finals.

GuerillaBlack
05-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Kubiak had throat surgery and had to wait for the throat to heal enough for him to return to work. When I had the same surgery it was some time before I was 100%.

Also some of the younger players have been going to school, this gives them a chance to finish finals.

Didn't think about the finals part. That is very true, but it's not just this year that the Texans have late OTAs/Mini-camp (in regards to Kubiak's throat surgery).

rmartin65
05-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Minicamp starts Monday!

drewmar74
05-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Minicamp starts Monday!

Sweet. Maybe it'll give us something to talk about other than Cushing's issues.....

rmartin65
05-15-2010, 11:43 AM
My bad, OTAs start Monday. I misread the first post.

NitroGSXR
05-15-2010, 12:28 PM
My best friend finishes his tour and leaves Afghanistan on Monday too! It's going to be a great day!

Lucky
05-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Sweet. Maybe it'll give us something to talk about other than Cushing's issues.....
Like who's going to replace Cushing for the opening 4 games...

I'm interested to see who's running 1st team on the o-line and what position Wade Smith is playing. Not that it couldn't change before camp. Just would like to see what the coaches are thinking right now. Also wondering if Jacoby Jones will get a shot at dislodging Walter as a starter in 2 WR sets.

rmartin65
05-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Just like every year, the stuff I look forward to the most in OTAs and mini-camp are the rookies, both drafted and undrafted. I love seeing (well, hearing) about how our brand new players are adjusting to the NFL.

By the way, I just want to take this time to thank all of you who go to the OTAs and camps in advance. For those of us that cant go, it is unbelievably awesome to hear about what is going on- who looks good, who doesnt, who might surprise, etc. You guys are awesome.

alphajoker
05-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Just like every year, the stuff I look forward to the most in OTAs and mini-camp are the rookies, both drafted and undrafted. I love seeing (well, hearing) about how our brand new players are adjusting to the NFL.

By the way, I just want to take this time to thank all of you who go to the OTAs and camps in advance. For those of us that cant go, it is unbelievably awesome to hear about what is going on- who looks good, who doesnt, who might surprise, etc. You guys are awesome.

How do you get to go? I thought you could only go during training camp to watch practice.

JB
05-15-2010, 12:59 PM

Good shout out! I'd like to echo these sentiments...

rmartin65
05-15-2010, 01:01 PM
How do you get to go? I thought you could only go during training camp to watch practice.

No clue. But it seems like every year people get information for those of us who are outside the Texans area, and I wanted to let them know that we appreciate it.

Lucky
05-15-2010, 01:21 PM
No clue. But it seems like every year people get information for those of us who are outside the Texans area, and I wanted to let them know that we appreciate it.
I'm hopeful that more of the fan site bloggers get media credentials, now that Tony Wylie is out of the picture. I would like to read more unfiltered information than we currently receive.

NBT
05-15-2010, 01:34 PM

Is it like getting your tonsils removed? I was a sick puppy after that!

NitroGSXR
05-15-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm hopeful that more of the fan site bloggers get media credentials, now that Tony Wylie is out of the picture. I would like to read more unfiltered information than we currently receive.

I fully expect much more information this time around. Twitter is why. No I don't twit but it's what will give the media stories to run with. It gained so much steam that it has absolutely changed the face of reporting. Players now break news. Players and fans have never interacted like they do now.

Lucky
05-15-2010, 01:39 PM
I fully expect much more information this time around. Twitter is why.
I'm looking for more (or different) information than what's found in a "tweet". Not that there's anything wrong with that. I prefer more analysis and substance than the twitter format provides.

NitroGSXR
05-15-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm looking for more (or different) information than what's found in a "tweet". Not that there's anything wrong with that. I prefer more analysis and substance than the twitter format provides.

Well sure. Like I said I don't "tweet". Just saying that I've been seeing Schefler write a LOT less articles since twitter came out. Same with McClain. Breaking news gets to us and us message board critters run with it. Reporters are increasingly being reduced to being privvy to the exact same information any person with a cell phone can get. We have the same bare information that many reporters run with.

ChampionTexan
05-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Well sure. Like I said I don't "tweet". Just saying that I've been seeing Schefler write a LOT less articles since twitter came out. Same with McClain. Breaking news gets to us and us message board critters run with it. Reporters are increasingly being reduced to being privvy to the exact same information any person with a cell phone can get. We have the same bare information that many reporters run with.

I don't believe OTA's are open to the public, and I'm pretty sure the Texans have a policy prohibiting the media from tweeting while attending OTA's.

Did a cursory search to see if I could find anything in writing regarding the policy, and wasn't able to, but I know John and Lance were talking about the non-tweeting policy this morning.

Ole Miss Texan
05-17-2010, 09:41 AM
I don't believe OTA's are open to the public, and I'm pretty sure the Texans have a policy prohibiting the media from tweeting while attending OTA's.

Did a cursory search to see if I could find anything in writing regarding the policy, and wasn't able to, but I know John and Lance were talking about the non-tweeting policy this morning.

:facepalm:
If I was an attorney drafting a legal policy for the national football league, I'd have a hard time taking myself seriously that I'd be getting paid $100-200/hour for writing about when the media could and could not "tweet".

I don't doubt it's policy... but the way society has evolved with all the myspace and facebook and twittering just gives me a mild case of facepalm.

Houston - In further news, Brian Cushing tests positive according to the League's non-tweeting policy. Cushing states he did not write or type any tweet whatsoever and that twittering can be naturally produced by the body. Cushing, a 1st round pick by the Texans in 2009, will miss the remainder of the 2010 season for this twittering violation.

Wolf
05-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Cushing said it was good to be "thinking about something else" and that he was happy to be with his teammates. He said the reaction from them has been positive.

"Everyone's happy and everyone understands the situation, so they're all behind me and this doesn't change anything," he said.

Coach Gary Kubiak was among those excited to see Cushing at practice.

"He's all business, which I expected him to be," Kubiak said. "I know it's been a rough week and it was nice to see him back on the field."

He said he doesn't believe he has to prove himself after his suspension and is looking to play better next season.

"I don't feel there's a limit right now," he said. "I think it's out there for me to go grab and no one's going to stop me from working toward that."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/texans/2010-05-17-brian-cushing_N.htm?csp=34sports&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomSports-TopStories+%28Sports+-+Top+Stories%29

JWarren14
05-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Anybody catch that quote from the OTA video on HT.com Schaub was talking about the rookies and said Tate wasn't out there? I saw him in uniform, but maybe he didn't practice?

Not sure if there is some sort of injury or something?

texasguy346
05-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Anybody catch that quote from the OTA video on HT.com Schaub was talking about the rookies and said Tate wasn't out there? I saw him in uniform, but maybe he didn't practice?

It might have something to do with the NFL rule that rookies can't participate in team activities until classes are over at their college. That's why Gerhart didn't participate in activities for the Vikings.

Joe Texan
05-17-2010, 06:45 PM
OMG Andre did not show to Volunteer OTA's this is it we are through

:sarcasm:

JWarren14
05-17-2010, 06:51 PM
It might have something to do with the NFL rule that rookies can't participate in team activities until classes are over at their college. That's why Gerhart didn't participate in activities for the Vikings.

Thanks, forgot about that.

drs23
05-17-2010, 06:54 PM
He and Demeco sat out due to hammies.

Austrian
05-17-2010, 06:57 PM

That's why Sherrick McMannis didn't participate.

rmartin65
05-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Anybody else notice in the video that Holliday was wearing the number 16, not the 84 that he was reportedly given. Also, he was the only rookie in the video, something I am a little disappointed by. I want to see what those guys look like in the Texans gear!

JB
05-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Anybody else notice in the video that Holliday was wearing the number 16, not the 84 that he was reportedly given. Also, he was the only rookie in the video, something I am a little disappointed by. I want to see what those guys look like in the Texans gear!

http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/12456.jpg

More pics here:
http://www.houstontexans.com/gallery.asp?section_id=804#

steelbtexan
05-17-2010, 07:50 PM
That's why Sherrick McMannis didn't participate.

Hope this doesn't become Brandon Harrison 2.

rmartin65
05-17-2010, 07:57 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/12456.jpg

more pics here:
http://www.houstontexans.com/gallery.asp?section_id=804#

большое спасибо

I will check that out. Jackson looks legit in Texans colors.

JB
05-17-2010, 08:37 PM
большое спасибо

I will check that out. Jackson looks legit in Texans colors.

Wha??? :confused:

rmartin65
05-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Wha??? :confused:

Thank you very much. I had just finished my Russian homework, and was still in that mindset. My bad.

Carr Bombed
05-17-2010, 08:48 PM
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad173/Carrbombed/12454.jpg

I'm really excited about Jacoby focusing solely on his receiving skills this offseason.

That 6th round pick Holliday is going to benefit us in multiple positions this year. It makes Jacoby a better player and will boost our special teams also. GREAT PICK.

Speaking of Holliday...

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad173/Carrbombed/12450.jpg

Man that is one small dude......he's going to be J.J. Moses with break away SPEED!!!.

I'm glad we have another vertically challenged playmaker on the team.....gives me somebody I can really root for :)

JB
05-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Thank you very much. I had just finished my Russian homework, and was still in that mindset. My bad.

It's all good. I thought it was Russian, but did not recognize the words, lfeading off with a 6. Do you have a Russian keyboard?

CloakNNNdagger
05-17-2010, 09:20 PM

Rookie Ben Tate is sitting out Texans OTAs with a hamstring injury. It sounds like Tate is merely day to day, but Gary Kubiak indicated that he's no lock to rejoin workouts soon

http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Ben_Tate/946365 (http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/Ben_Tate/946365)
(original source came from Rotoworld)

Remember reading somewhere that he had a nagging hamstring problem in college sometime in the past year or two.

Wolf
05-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Adibi put on some weight also according to Kubiak

Carr Bombed
05-17-2010, 09:38 PM
http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/ben_tate/946365 (http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/ben_tate/946365)
(original source came from rotoworld)

remember reading somewhere that he had a nagging hamstring problem in college sometime in the past year or two.

f%@#!!!

rmartin65
05-17-2010, 09:44 PM
It's all good. I thought it was Russian, but did not recognize the words, lfeading off with a 6. Do you have a Russian keyboard?

I can use word, but it is a pain. I go to translit.ru, you just type in what it sounds like in English and it gives you the Russian letters. For большое спасибо I just type bol'shoe spasibo. And just in case anyone wanted to know, it is pronounced balshoye spaseeba.

JB
05-17-2010, 09:48 PM
I can use word, but it is a pain. I go to translit.ru, you just type in what it sounds like in English and it gives you the Russian letters. For большое спасибо I just type bol'shoe spasibo. And just in case anyone wanted to know, it is pronounced balshoye spaseeba.

And spasibo is the thank you part of that?

rmartin65
05-17-2010, 09:52 PM
And spasibo is the thank you part of that?

Yep. Russian gets a bad rap because of the commies, but it is a pretty cool language.

JB
05-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Yep. Russian gets a bad rap because of the commies, but it is a pretty cool language.

Yeah, when I was in the Navy, on of the guys spoke fluent Russian. It was pretty cool when we were in the same port as a Russian ship. He would tell them all kinds of shit about our capabilities to them. Like we had developed an over-the-horizon radar and our 5" guns could hit a car sized target at 40 miles.

rmartin65
05-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Yeah, when I was in the Navy, on of the guys spoke fluent Russian. It was pretty cool when we were in the same port as a Russian ship. He would tell them all kinds of shit about our capabilities to them. Like we had developed an over-the-horizon radar and our 5" guns could hit a car sized target at 40 miles.

Ha, that is freaking awesome! I hope to get fluent one day. Well, I better, its one of my majors.

JB
05-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Ha, that is freaking awesome! I hope to get fluent one day. Well, I better, its one of my majors.

Good luck man, I am sure you will do great.
Do you read, or listen to Russian poetry? I have been told that the language was written for poetry and is the most beautiful there.

rmartin65
05-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Good luck man, I am sure you will do great.
Do you read, or listen to Russian poetry? I have been told that the language was written for poetry and is the most beautiful there.

Thanks.
I have only been taking it for 2 school years, and the command necessary for understanding, truly understanding, poetry in ridiculous. I may be close, but not yet.

Also, I feel bad for high-jacking this thread. We can continue this via PM if you are interested.

b0ng
05-17-2010, 10:08 PM
[
Man that is one small dude......he's going to be J.J. Moses with break away SPEED!!!.

I'm glad we have another vertically challenged playmaker on the team.....gives me somebody I can really root for :)

I think it was Sean and Jon (it was about 5:30 today) were talking about Holliday having exceptional speed. The words were something like "You see a video of him and say This guy can fly! Then you see him live and he takes your breath away"

I just hope he doesn't become a 5 foot 6 smear on the field.

rmartin65
05-17-2010, 10:09 PM
I think it was Sean and Jon (it was about 5:30 today) were talking about Holliday having exceptional speed. The words were something like "You see a video of him and say This guy can fly! Then you see him live and he takes your breath away"

I just hope he doesn't become a 5 foot 6 smear on the field.

I am really excited about the Holliday pick. He might not last long in the league, but I think he is going to be spectacular for at least a short while.

JB
05-17-2010, 10:14 PM
I am really excited about the Holliday pick. He might not last long in the league, but I think he is going to be spectacular for at least a short while.

I think much like Dante Hall. He will be around awhile, if they don't try to make too much out of him.

painekiller
05-18-2010, 01:01 AM
Is it like getting your tonsils removed? I was a sick puppy after that!

No much more severe. Kubiak did sound hoarse today, and he should after that surgery.

JWarren14
05-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Day 1 Recap -

AJ a no show
Cushing still Cushing as of now
Tate has a hamstring injury
DeMeco has a hamstring injury
Slaton looks good, but not cleared for contact, lost a little weight
All other players back from injury except OD (still shooting for TC)
Adibi at 242 LBs

Missing anything?

HOU-TEX
05-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Kubiak said both Mario and Okoye are down in weight. Mario had the same nasal surgery Kubiak had which is supposedly to blame for his drop in weight. They didn't give an exact weight on Mario, but Amobi is down to 286!

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=4107&play_clip=y

J_R
05-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Kubiak said both Mario and Okoye are down in weight. Mario had the same nasal surgery Kubiak had which is supposedly to blame for his drop in weight. They didn't give an exact weight on Mario, but Amobi is down to 286!

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=4107&play_clip=y

Just saw this as well. Mentioned it on the other boards:

Amobi playing lighter this year?

Kubiak mentioned him losing a few pounds and they're ok with that, though they dont want him too light. 286 a few days ago, though 15 lbs lighter than what he was playing at last year(listed as 296 on the roster, so 281)

Tailgate
05-18-2010, 04:32 PM
From LZ's Blog:

Defense

• Good to see Eugene Wilson back out there at free safety, but I don't think it is a lock that he ends up as the starter when the season starts. I think he'll need to have a solid pre-season.

• I knew third-round defensive tackle Earl Mitchell but I couldn't believe how quick his feet were during defensive line drills. Mitchell also showed how quick he was off the snap during explosion drills into the blocking sled. However.....

• ... when Mitchell went up against Amobi Okoye in the "rabbit drill" - a drill where two guys line up on the line of scrimmage and take off after a player who is moving backward to see who can touch him first - Okoye smoked him. It will be interesting if the drafting of Mitchell finally lights a fire under Okoye this year.

• Just in case you were wondering, Brian Cushing looks the exact same. If you were expecting him to come inn smaller than before, that looks like it won't be the case.

Offense

• Rookie guard Shelly Smith from Colorado State looked slower than expected off the snap considering how athletically he tested before the draft. However, he could also be thinking rather than just reacting so I'm certainly not holding that against him.

• Steve Slaton looks smaller than last year which is a good thing. Supposedly, Slaton has dropped about 11 pounds and is looking to get the quickness back from his rookie season that seemed to be missing last year thanks to his increased weight.

• Rookie tight end/wide receiver Dorin Dickerson runs more like a TE than a WR over the first 10 yards of his routes, which is something he needs to work on since cornerbacks will jam him at the line and just sit in his pocket after he releases from the line. He's much more high-cut (bigger upper body) than I expected so he might need to drop another six to 10 pounds to get that WR quickness he'll need if he's going to transition from TE.

• Andre Davis made a great over the shoulder catch on a deep ball that was dropped in perfectly by, I believe, Matt Schaub.

• It is very different watching John Benton work with offensive linemen as opposed to Alex Gibbs. Gibbs wasn't just a screamer as has been portrayed at times, he is just a very vocal coach and you always hear his voice. Benton, on the other hand, is a much calmer presence and you rarely hear his voice.

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2010/05/thoughts_from_day_1_of_otas.html

gtexan02
05-18-2010, 04:35 PM
I love reading stuff like this

GuerillaBlack
05-18-2010, 04:40 PM
I love reading stuff like this

Yeah, love reading what goes on at practices. Very interesting stuff.

J_R
05-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Kubiak naming his early starters on the O-line.

Brown-Studdard-Myers-Caldwell-Winston

http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/index.asp?post_id=1165

Edit: Looks like some already hit on this in the "Are you worried?" thread.

Ole Miss Texan
05-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Kubiak naming his early starters on the O-line.

Brown-Studdard-Myers-Caldwell-Winston

http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/index.asp?post_id=1165

I think this Kubiak: (1) simply saying those were our starters at the end of the year and Wade Smith (new), Mike Brisiel (coming off injury) and Shelley Smith (rookie) are going to have to earn the starters spot. and (2) giving Studdard and Caldwell some props/confidence boost. It would be kind of demoralizing if right off the bat they get replaced by Smith/Brisiel/Smith.

Now do I expect this 5 to be our starting 5 for the season? Probably not. I just think Kubiak's doing it right by starting out this way... I fully expect we see some movement here as the next 5 months transpire.

painekiller
05-19-2010, 09:44 PM
I think this Kubiak: (1) simply saying those were our starters at the end of the year and Wade Smith (new), Mike Brisiel (coming off injury) and Shelley Smith (rookie) are going to have to earn the starters spot. and (2) giving Studdard and Caldwell some props/confidence boost. It would be kind of demoralizing if right off the bat they get replaced by Smith/Brisiel/Smith.

Now do I expect this 5 to be our starting 5 for the season? Probably not. I just think Kubiak's doing it right by starting out this way... I fully expect we see some movement here as the next 5 months transpire.

If Studdard is the starter then this GM and this staff have already failed. What a joke.

Tailgate
05-19-2010, 11:19 PM
From the link:

"We have our starters,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said after practice on Wednesday. “We have our guys that we’re going to camp with as starters. You look at two young guys, Studdard and Caldwell, they’ve earned the right to say, ‘Hey, I’m a starter right now."

Caldwell and Studdard both moved into the starting lineup last season after season-ending injuries to veterans.

“You’re sitting there staring at Brisiel, who’s trying to get a job back,” Kubiak said. “You’ve got Wade (Smith), who’s been a starter in this league. We bring in Shelley Smith (a sixth-round draft pick in April). We’re as competitive in there as we ever have been as a team. It’s going to be hard to hold a job, it’s going to be very competitive to get one, so that makes the team better.”

infantrycak
05-19-2010, 11:20 PM
If Studdard is the starter then this GM and this staff have already failed. What a joke.

Let's wait until the actual starting line up for the Colts game. This is merely a being polite nod to the guys who last held the starting jobs. Smith has already been sharing 1st team reps and Briesel is clearly going to be given a shot at a G spot.

thunderkyss
05-20-2010, 12:03 AM
The Z Report (http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/texansnfl/)• Good to see Eugene Wilson back out there at free safety, but I don't think it is a lock that he ends up as the starter when the season starts. I think he'll need to have a solid pre-season.

Who is pushing Wilson for the starting spot??

Carr Bombed
05-20-2010, 12:06 AM

Barber.

GuerillaBlack
05-20-2010, 12:11 AM

Barber.

Let's hope Barber improves greatly. Would make us younger at the FS spot, and Barber is cheap.

thunderkyss
05-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Barber.

Well if Barber is good enough to push for a starting spot, I wonder what all the hooplah was over us not drafting a FS in the draft.

RipTraxx
05-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Im not sold on Barber, was high on him as a rookie because he was a raw athlete, but from what i see he hasnt progressed to be much more then that. If Wilson is 75% he should start over Barber IMO.

HOU-TEX
05-20-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm really hoping Barber becomes a starter.

Signed,

Chris Johnson, standing by himself on the line of scrimmage

beerlover
05-20-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm really hoping Barber becomes a starter.

Signed,

Chris Johnson, standing by himself on the line of scrimmage

the problem with both Eugene Wilson & Dominique Barber has been injury related not ability to play FS. you really have to be a beast to make it & start everygame in the NFL any position but even more so as a safety, see Bernard Pollard. that being said I hope they have the nuts to slot Glover Quinn in early, his nickle work convinced me he has the potential to be a top flight FS in the league. I like his aggressiveness, tackling ability, stout build with a fighters jaw who became a durable starter after early season set-back.

Porky
05-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Barber sucks. And if Wilson can't hold off Barber, that is only evidence that Wilson sucks. Barber sucks sucks sucks, and should be selling real estate. He has no business being a professional football player.

b0ng
05-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Barber sucks. And if Wilson can't hold off Barber, that is only evidence that Wilson sucks. Barber sucks sucks sucks, and should be selling real estate. He has no business being a professional football player.

Monster take. Rack 'em.

RipTraxx
05-20-2010, 01:24 PM
the problem with both Eugene Wilson & Dominique Barber has been injury related not ability to play FS. you really have to be a beast to make it & start everygame in the NFL any position but even more so as a safety, see Bernard Pollard. that being said I hope they have the nuts to slot Glover Quinn in early, his nickle work convinced me he has the potential to be a top flight FS in the league. I like his aggressiveness, tackling ability, stout build with a fighters jaw who became a durable starter after early season set-back.

So are you saying you feel comfortable with Jackson and who else at corners?

awtysst
05-20-2010, 01:29 PM

Quinn has the potential. But I would like to see Troy Nolan get some reps out there. I was high on him in his draft and thought he had the potential to be a solid FS.

b0ng
05-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Quinn has the potential. But I would like to see Troy Nolan get some reps out there. I was high on him in his draft and thought he had the potential to be a solid FS.

This is me as well. I think Nolan can definitely shake up the Safeties if he stays healthy all through the pre-season and TC.

awtysst
05-20-2010, 01:33 PM
So are you saying you feel comfortable with Jackson and who else at corners?

I won't speak for BL, but you could put Jackson and Reeves at CB and put mcCain into the nickle slot. That way you get your best DBs on the field.

awtysst
05-20-2010, 01:35 PM
This is me as well. I think Nolan can definitely shake up the Safeties if he stays healthy all through the pre-season and TC.

If Nolan can show the goods it dramatically improves our DB. We keep Quinn at CB and bring in Jackson. We then have Reeves and McCain fighting it out for nickle CB. We have Pollard as the SS and Nolan as the FS. If Nolan worked out That would be the best DB group we would have EVER had!

beerlover
05-20-2010, 03:06 PM
I won't speak for BL, but you could put Jackson and Reeves at CB and put mcCain into the nickle slot. That way you get your best DBs on the field.

sure you can :) agree completely that's excatly what I would do too.

dalemurphy
05-20-2010, 03:39 PM

I'm not endorsing Barber as a starting FS, but I think you formed your opinion of Barber early in the year and failed to notice his dramatic improvement when he replaced Eugene Wilson late in the year.

beerlover
05-20-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm not endorsing Barber as a starting FS, but I think you formed your opinion of Barber early in the year and failed to notice his dramatic improvement when he replaced Eugene Wilson late in the year.

in all fairness to Porky his "dramtic improvement" was short lived, cause of injury so its still more of same ol, same old until he can finish a season healthy :slapfight:

painekiller
05-20-2010, 03:59 PM

Kubiak also said that it's a "very important" offseason for cornerback Antwaun Molden, who's 100 percent healthy after playing in only four games because of a quadriceps injury last season. Molden also suffered a season-ending ankle injury 14 games into his rookie season in 2008.

"He's just missed so much time," Kubiak said. "Every time he's ever been out here, he's shown that he belongs and has the ability to start in this league. It's just about him holding up. It's been a good offseason for him, but I could say the same thing for all of them. It'll be very competitive."

So are you thinking we should have a secondary of Jackson and Molden at CB and Pollard and Quin at safety? Maybe flip Quin and Molden?

If Molden stays healthy he is going to push someone, will it be Wilson?

HOU-TEX
05-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Betcha can't figure out which one's Holliday. Jitterbug! :lol:

http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/12509.jpg

J_R
05-20-2010, 06:01 PM

Haha I was just about to come post the same thing. Dude is so small! Not even 5'5". Others there I liked/saw/wanted to show.

http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/12506.jpg

http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/12497.jpg

http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/12498.jpg

b0ng
05-20-2010, 06:02 PM

He's just a kid out there!

Fox
05-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Texans head coach Gary Kubiak:
(on what he's seen of the running backs the past four days) "I've been impressed with (Arian) Foster. (He) went from first year to second year a big jump, just watching him practice. Steve (Slaton) is sitting here lining up as a two and he started 15 games two years ago. (Steve) hasn't said a word, just working and that's been very impressive.

Is Foster running with the 1st team right now?

b0ng
05-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Is Foster running with the 1st team right now?

Well Slaton is under no-contact orders and Tate has a hamstring issue.

Fox
05-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Well Slaton is under no-contact orders and Tate has a hamstring issue.

I didn't think they were doing any contact right now anyways.

b0ng
05-20-2010, 06:16 PM
I didn't think they were doing any contact right now anyways.
Apparently Slaton has to wear a red jersey like a QB while doing these drills so, I guess there is some contact going on.

Fox
05-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Good point. I wonder if it's just the injury concern that pushed him to 2nd string (and if so, why not to 4th or 5th string), or maybe Kubiak is letting the players who finished out last season as starters start OTA's that way. Too early to call it as a future training camp battle, but may be interesting to follow nonetheless.

SAMURAITEXAN
05-20-2010, 07:31 PM

I see no Holliday on this picture. Dind't you know that a little guy is waterboy in uni.:lol:

Go Holliday!!!
Go Texans!!!

CloakNNNdagger
05-20-2010, 08:49 PM

I know. He's the one standing on a box!:mcnugget:

playa465
05-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Anybody have any info on Jeremiah Johnson?

HOU-TEX
05-21-2010, 09:25 AM
I know. He's the one standing on a box!:mcnugget:

You sure that's not Bob Allen you're talkin about? Heh

NitroGSXR
05-21-2010, 11:01 AM
You sure that's not Bob Allen you're talkin about? Heh

Bob Allen's right up there with George Parnham in the depths of service industry douche-baggery. He can take his black Porsche Carerra IV and stick it where the sun don't shine. Thanks for arguing with me about the price of valet which was 3 bucks that night. My favorite question that he asked me that night...

"Don't you know who I am?!?!"

Being Bob Allen means us valets have to pay for his parking? Right... I gotcha, Bobby.

Sorry for the hijack. I'll rag on him every chance I get. What a drunk lowlife jerk.

Ole Miss Texan
05-21-2010, 11:11 AM
I know highlights only tell one side of the story and everyone looks great in them but it's all we got to go on:

Troy Nolan Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kbInOFqoLc)

In relation to this:

I'm sorry, your search for "Dominique Barber Highlights" did not return and results."

(kidding by the way)

J_R
05-25-2010, 01:35 PM
NickScurfield (http://twitter.com/NickScurfield)

McManis has a hamstring injury- Gary Kubiak said they've got to get him healthy before he can practice

(McManis flew in last night/yesterday btw)

painekiller
05-25-2010, 02:09 PM

McManis has a hamstring injury- Gary Kubiak said they've got to get him healthy before he can practice

(McManis flew in last night/yesterday btw)

McManis has not been at OTAs due to Northwestern being on the quarters system and school not being out. NFL rules precluded him from practice up until now. So his missing some more time will hurt him further.

Mari-OWNED!
05-25-2010, 04:18 PM
McManis has not been at OTAs due to Northwestern being on the quarters system and school not being out. NFL rules precluded him from practice up until now. So his missing some more time will hurt him further.

I'm guessing he's done at Northwestern, as he was out there practicing today.

http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/12542.jpg

GuerillaBlack
05-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Nice to see someone not named Chris Brown wearing #22 for the Texans.

J_R
05-25-2010, 04:55 PM

Rookie CB Sherrick McManis has joined the Texans for OTAs. Was in school at Northwestern- finished req'd coursework and flew in last night

http://twitter.com/NickScurfield/status/14704704192

(http://twitter.com/NickScurfield)

painekiller
05-25-2010, 08:16 PM

What part of "up until now" did you guys not understand

thunderkyss
05-26-2010, 01:01 AM
What part of "up until now" did you guys not understand

don't hurt him hammer... please don't hurt him.

Section516
05-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Is Nolan practicing or still injured?

badboy
05-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Bob Allen's right up there with George Parnham in the depths of service industry douche-baggery. He can take his black Porsche Carerra IV and stick it where the sun don't shine. Thanks for arguing with me about the price of valet which was 3 bucks that night. My favorite question that he asked me that night...

Being Bob Allen means us valets have to pay for his parking? Right... I gotcha, Bobby.

Sorry for the hijack. I'll rag on him every chance I get. What a drunk lowlife jerk.You should have replied " Yeah, you are that Channel 11 guy Giff Nielson, right?" I observed Nielson in Galveston years ago doing a report outside and most watching thought he was acting like a prima donna.

badboy
05-26-2010, 12:27 PM
What part of "up until now" did you guys not understandThe part just before the N O W

BigBull17
05-26-2010, 01:18 PM

Sorry for the hijack. I'll rag on him every chance I get. What a drunk lowlife jerk.

Did he really do that? Did you tell him he is a two bit local sports jack off? That would be awesome. Hate when celebs (semi-celebs in this case) think they can act like that.

Playoffs
05-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Bob Allen's right up there with George Parnham in the depths of service industry douche-baggery...
Next time you see him, call him Abramowitz and watch his reaction.

NitroGSXR
05-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Next time you see him, call him Abramowitz and watch his reaction.

I no longer regularly work the valet industry but... I'll definitely let them know... why? What's the story? It's rag on Bob Allen day!

Carr Bombed
05-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Years ago (mid 90's) my dad ran a cook off team with my uncles (rowdy bunch) and Bob Allen ended up at our tent. He ended up drinking beer with us and hung out most of the night. Seemed like a pretty cool dude, so I have a different opinion of him.

NitroGSXR
05-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Years ago (mid 90's) my dad ran a cook off team with my uncles (rowdy bunch) and Bob Allen ended up at our tent. He ended up drinking beer with us and hung out most of the night. Seemed like a pretty cool dude, so I have a different opinion of him.

That's awesome.

Funny, It was about that time when it happened. Back when the nightclub/restaurant combo Cafe Elysse was in business on Woodway. Around say... '96? '97?

gary
05-30-2010, 03:37 PM
This coming out of OTA's.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/05/29/texans-cb-jackson-starts-strong

rmartin65
06-14-2010, 06:11 PM
First day of mini-camp was today. Anybody have info (not mentioned on the site)?

ArlingtonTexan
06-14-2010, 06:19 PM
First day of mini-camp was today. Anybody have info (not mentioned on the site)?

This was posted on .com

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6204

pretty sure the transcripts from any interviews will be up later as usual.

rmartin65
06-14-2010, 06:20 PM
This was posted on .com

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6204

pretty sure the transcripts from any interviews will be up later as usual.

Yeah, watched that one. Thats what reminded me about mini-camp, its been quiet on the football front. Stupid off-season...

MojoMan
06-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Looks like 6th round pick OG Shelley Smith is playing well, and impressing Coach Kubiak. Also, Coach K offers more words of high praise for Kasey Studdard. From the attached article:

Guard Shelley Smith, the lone offensive lineman in the Texans' 2010 draft class, also has shown well during his first few weeks with the team.

"He's very athletic young man," Kubiak said of the sixth-rounder from Colorado State. "He's got all the tools you're looking for. He's in a very competitive situation because of us going out and getting Wade Smith and (Kasey) Studdard really coming on as a player and (Mike) Brisiel coming back. He's in the mix of a very, very tough battle."

Kubiak was familiar with Smith before the draft because his two oldest sons, Klint and Klay, played with Smith at Colorado State.

"I know what he stands for and I know what I'm going to get, and I think he's going to play in this league a long time," Kubiak said.

Lucky
06-14-2010, 07:43 PM
He's in a very competitive situation because of us going out and getting Wade Smith and (Kasey) Studdard really coming on as a player and (Mike) Brisiel coming back. He's in the mix of a very, very tough battle."
What about Antoine Caldwell? Is he just an afterthought, now?

There is a lot of competition at guard. I still wonder if any of these guys are any good. And who is going to play center behind Myers?

JB
06-14-2010, 08:41 PM
I really like the way the Texans are doing this mini-camp. rookies on the field without most vets.

Most clubs hold the rookie mini-camp before OTA's, but the way the Texans are doing it, most of the rookies should know the playbook well enough that they can just bet out there and compete.

As a side note, the Texans brought in 7 new bodies for this mini-camp.

http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/index.asp?post_id=1207

William VanDeSteeg was Dominique Barber's college roomie.

CloakNNNdagger
06-14-2010, 08:48 PM
What about Antoine Caldwell? Is he just an afterthought, now?

There is a lot of competition at guard. I still wonder if any of these guys are any good. And who is going to play center behind Myers?

I would suspect Caldwell or Wade Smith, although I believe Myers would be better suited to carry their lunch pales.

CloakNNNdagger
06-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Interesting possibility when coming from the Ravens defense..........who may very well still be interested in resigning him. Seems like his major recent problem was one of pass interference. :

CB Frank Walker's days with the Ravens might not be over, after all. The uncertain status of Lardarius Webb and Fabian Washington might force the Ravens into adding two more cornerbacks this offseason. One option is re-signing Frank Walker, a physical backup cornerback who has drawn criticism from fans for his frequent pass-interference penalties. Walker reportedly is drawing interest from Houston, Jacksonville, Oakland and St. Louis. Would the Ravens be interested in bringing back Walker? "It's funny you ask the question and the whole fan base, everybody's going to be like, 'Don't do it.' But Frank's a better player than what people think," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "I get as frustrated with Frank as anybody does, and Frank knows that. He'll tell you about it and he'll laugh about it. Frank has got as much talent as any corner in the league. He's tough, he's competitive, he's a physical guy. He loves to play the game. When he gets carried outside of his technique, he struggles just like any corner does. When he stays within himself and plays technique, he plays very well." Harbaugh added, "Frank has got some other options right now, too. People have respect for him. We may not be able to get him signed back. Right now, I'm not so sure that he's not the best guy out there. You can give me a list of guys and we could think about it, but ... he knows how we play. He knows how we practice. He knows the expectations. We've had him for two years. We've been through some moments as we all know. And those moments, you kind of grow through those things. Hopefully, he understands now what's expected of him." 32/5/2010
LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/396111)

JB
06-14-2010, 09:05 PM
a physical backup cornerback who has drawn criticism from fans for his frequent pass-interference penalties

Ha! A replacement for Dunta!

rmartin65
06-14-2010, 09:07 PM
How did they bring in new people? I thought the Texans were already in a sign one, cut one situation?

JB
06-14-2010, 09:09 PM
How did they bring in new people? I thought the Texans were already in a sign one, cut one situation?

That is only in regards to the 80 man roster, which does not go into affect until TC.

rmartin65
06-14-2010, 09:11 PM
That is only in regards to the 80 man roster, which does not go into affect until TC.

Ah, thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

aj.
06-14-2010, 09:19 PM

Ah, thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

The 80 man roster limit goes into effect on the first day of the league year (March 4 this season) and remains in effect until the first cutdown to 75.

Players only count against the roster limit if they are under contract.

JB
06-14-2010, 09:41 PM
The 80 man roster limit goes into effect on the first day of the league year (March 4 this season) and remains in effect until the first cutdown to 75.

Players only count against the roster limit if they are under contract.

Thanks for the clarification Aj. So the guys they brought in for mini-camp are uder a per session deal? Or strictly a try-out basis?

aj.
06-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the clarification Aj. So the guys they brought in for mini-camp are uder a per session deal? Or strictly a try-out basis?

They get travel and per diem but won't count against the roster limit unless they are signed to a contract. There's already 80 under contract so as someone earlier said, it's a 1 for 1 deal now ... sign one - cut one.

JB
06-14-2010, 10:58 PM
They get travel and per diem but won't count against the roster limit unless they are signed to a contract. There's already 80 under contract so as someone earlier said, it's a 1 for 1 deal now ... sign one - cut one.

I understand this point, but they don't actually get anything for working out thru the mini-camp )other than the per diem)? Like no minimum per day?

aj.
06-15-2010, 08:07 PM
I understand this point, but they don't actually get anything for working out thru the mini-camp )other than the per diem)? Like no minimum per day?

I've copied below what they get (per diem) for training camp (ARTICLE XXXVI of CBA). For mini-camps (ARTICLE XXXVII) they pro-rate it if the player isn't with the team for an entire week. This is in addition to food, travel, lodging.

Rookie Per Diem: A rookie player will receive “per diem” payments
at the rate of $825 per week in the 2009-10 League Years

Veteran Per Diem: A veteran player will receive “per diem” payments
at the rate of $1,225 per week in the 2008-10 League Years.

JB
06-15-2010, 08:40 PM
I've copied below what they get (per diem) for training camp (ARTICLE XXXVI of CBA). For mini-camps (ARTICLE XXXVII) they pro-rate it if the player isn't with the team for an entire week. This is in addition to food, travel, lodging.

Rookie Per Diem: A rookie player will receive “per diem” payments
at the rate of $825 per week in the 2009-10 League Years

Veteran Per Diem: A veteran player will receive “per diem” payments
at the rate of $1,225 per week in the 2008-10 League Years.

Thanks, AJ. That's a pretty good per diem for those guys. And it also gives them some exposure.

HOU-TEX
06-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Welp, OTA's and mini camp are now over. The next month and a half is usually the worse part of the off-season.

HOU-TEX
06-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Both Kubiak and Smith gave Malcolm Sheppard a lot of props after this last practice. I went and read up on him a little and wonder why he wasn't drafted?

http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/index.asp?post_id=1211

rmartin65
06-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Both Kubiak and Smith gave Malcolm Sheppard a lot of props after this last practice. I went and read up on him a little and wonder why he wasn't drafted?

Below average test scores for his size. And I believe he is blind in one eye.

Arky
06-16-2010, 05:51 PM

I heard he wasn't 100% at the Combine....

Thanks to ESPN360 (now ESPN3), I was able to watch every Arkansas game last year. Sheppard was one of the few bright spots on an otherwise dismal Razorback defense...

HOU-TEX
06-16-2010, 05:57 PM

Thanks to ESPN360 (now ESPN3), I was able to watch every Arkansas game last year. Sheppard was one of the few bright spots on an otherwise dismal Razorback defense...

Nice! Maybe we got a diamond in the rough here.

m5kwatts
06-16-2010, 06:01 PM

What kind of lineman is he? What did his best moments look like, how was he finding success? I'm really intrigued by this kid...this is just what this team needed, to find a defensive lineman CHEAP and not a 1st rounder or high dollar free agent.

Arky
06-16-2010, 06:20 PM
What kind of lineman is he? What did his best moments look like, how was he finding success? I'm really intrigued by this kid...this is just what this team needed, to find a defensive lineman CHEAP and not a 1st rounder or high dollar free agent.

Well, he's quick and a little smallish at 285 but that's probably what Kollar likes about him... What I remember about him was a disruptor.... a tackle-for-loss guy. Some of his TFL's were very well-timed, drive stopping TFL's....