PDA

View Full Version : Ben Tate and the "speed score"

Texans_Chick
05-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Ben Tate had the highest speed score in the draft. I do an interview with the person who came up with the speed score and what it means. I talk a little about Clinton Portis as he was a second round pick, and a player that I know the current coaches liked a lot when he was with the Broncos.

More on Ben Tate and what 'speed score' means (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/05/more_on_ben_tate_and_what_spee.html)

It's one of those posts that tells you something you already sort of know intuitively but is interesting to see in black and white.

Txn_in_FL
05-03-2010, 06:38 PM
As usual, great article. It's always great to see the info you put out there for everyone.

Coach Kevin
05-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Great stuff
You taught me somthing new Thank you

FirstTexansFan
05-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I love mathematical equations, good article TC :)

JB
05-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Great read Steph. I too have been on the Tate Wagon quite a while. I think his recieving skills and pass pro ability is really going to surprise some people. IMO he was the best choice for our system of all the backs in the draft

CloakNNNdagger
05-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Interesting read. Did I miss Chris Johnson's speed score? It mentioned that he had the highest of the 2008 draft, but I didn't see where the actually number was cited.

Honoring Earl 34
05-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Interesting read. Did I miss Chris Johnson's speed score? It mentioned that he had the highest of the 2008 draft, but I didn't see where the actually number was cited.

123.2 ... I think .

El Tejano
05-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Okay, I typically don't like to hear Mike Lombardi speak about the Texans because he speaks of them so bad as if we did him wrong somehow. However, he did note the Texans had a very solid draft and stated that Ben Tate would be the reason The Texans could be able to pass up Indy.

BigBull17
05-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Great read. Kinda suprised Jacobs has the highest score ever.

dc_txtech
05-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Great read. Kinda suprised Jacobs has the highest score ever.

He ran a 4.56 at 267 pounds.

BigBull17
05-04-2010, 03:44 PM
He ran a 4.56 at 267 pounds.

I knew he was fast, but I didn't know he ran a 4.5. Big boy truckin. He is a good one, but can be a little soft.

badboy
05-04-2010, 03:55 PM
I think it would be interesting if someone could compare Tate and Ryan Mathews as both are very close in size, stats and running ability. Was Mathews going so high sizzle rather than steak? What did San Diego see in Ryan that was not seen in Tate?

Texans_Chick
05-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Here's a followup post that I did that is not quite as glowing on Tate, and perhaps suggests why Matthews might be a more appealing choice to some:

Addition to the Ben Tate "speed score" discussion (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/05/addition_to_the_ben_tate_speed.html)

Interesting to numbers people.

CloakNNNdagger
05-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Here's a followup post that I did that is not quite as glowing on Tate, and perhaps suggests why Matthews might be a more appealing choice to some:

Addition to the Ben Tate "speed score" discussion (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/05/addition_to_the_ben_tate_speed.html)

Interesting to numbers people.

TC,

My head is spinning after reading that article. I'm not an accountant. And sleeping at the Holiday Inn didn't help me either. But what I still have to conclude is that bottom line, the value that the RB has to a team can be very dependent on the make up of the rest of the offensive pieces and the offensive scheme. There are very few running backs that will shine solely on their own talent. I would not ready myself for a great let down as concerns the Tate pic based on the presented formula(s).

Lucky
05-06-2010, 08:02 PM
What did San Diego see in Ryan that was not seen in Tate?
Big play ability. Mathews had (7) 50+ yard TD runs in 2009.

But, there's no crying over milk you never had a chance to spill. The Texans had no chance at Mathews, as trading up would have been absurd for a team with this many roster holes. Judging Tate versus the backs that were still available (Gerhart, Hardesty) is fair game. After they've had a chance to perform at the NFL level.

JB
05-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Big play ability. Mathews had (7) 50+ yard TD runs in 2009.

But, there's no crying over milk you never had a chance to spill. The Texans had no chance at Mathews, as trading up would have been absurd for a team with this many roster holes. Judging Tate versus the backs that were still available (Gerhart, Hardesty) is fair game. After they've had a chance to perform at the NFL level.

And I think if you look at the tape, everyone of those runs he had a hole you could drive a tractor thru

Lucky
05-06-2010, 09:56 PM
And I think if you look at the tape, everyone of those runs he had a hole you could drive a tractor thru
I watched a lot of those runs, and Mathews made plenty of guys miss, or broke tackles. Doesn't matter as he's not a Texan. Tate is. We'll find out how good they are in the NFL soon enough.

thunderkyss
05-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Ben Tate had the highest speed score in the draft. I do an interview with the person who came up with the speed score and what it means. I talk a little about Clinton Portis as he was a second round pick, and a player that I know the current coaches liked a lot when he was with the Broncos.

More on Ben Tate and what 'speed score' means (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/05/more_on_ben_tate_and_what_spee.html)

It's one of those posts that tells you something you already sort of know intuitively but is interesting to see in black and white.

What was Slaton's speed score?

Anyway, I dug this thread up, because I have a question... comparing Slate & Tate.

Slaton is listed as 5'9" Tate is listed at 5'11"

In this video, Slaton looks as tall as Tate.... not as wide, but as tall. I know it's a video, and hard to tell... but look at Moats, who is listed at 5'8" Slaton looks much more than an inch taller than Moats, but not nearly 2" shorter than Tate. With Slaton in the background, surely he should look smaller than Tate, shouldn't he?

Look at 1:56 (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=4110&play_clip=y) I'm looking at the shoulders.

CloakNNNdagger
05-19-2010, 08:49 PM
what was slaton's speed score?

Anyway, i dug this thread up, because i have a question... Comparing slate & tate.

Slaton is listed as 5'9" tate is listed at 5'11"

in this video, slaton looks as tall as tate.... Not as wide, but as tall. I know it's a video, and hard to tell... But look at moats, who is listed at 5'8" slaton looks much more than an inch taller than moats, but not nearly 2" shorter than tate. With slaton in the background, surely he should look smaller than tate, shouldn't he?

look at 1:56 (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=4110&play_clip=y) i'm looking at the shoulders.

thunderkyss
05-30-2010, 06:35 PM
So did you get a chance to look at the video?? Is someone fudging on their hieght?

CloakNNNdagger
05-30-2010, 08:03 PM
So did you get a chance to look at the video?? Is someone fudging on their hieght?

Sorry, TK, but the video isn't up at that link. But, I did some snooping with a hunch about his height at West Virginia. And you seem to be onto something. Listed at 5'10" on the official WV site. (http://www.msnsportsnet.com/profile.cfm?id=101042) (same as at the Combine.

Auburn's official site listed Tate at 5'11" as at the Combine.

Ryan Moats was not listed on Louisiana Tech's site. But at the combine, he was measured at 5'8"

CloakNNNdagger
05-30-2010, 08:21 PM
On this video, even though they are not side by side, Tate and Slaton don't look that much different. From this angle, Slaton almost appears more thick.
Camera depth angles can play funny tricks with proportions. Watch link (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=4110&play_clip=y)and stop at 1:35. You have to find the video entitltled 05.17.10 : Team completes OTA #1

silvrhand
05-31-2010, 08:26 AM

Personally I could care less about a running backs height, the shorter the better IMHO. Hard to see, hard to tackle, and add a short guy attitude = MJD, and I would love to have a MJD clone on this team.

beerlover
05-31-2010, 11:09 AM
great tool TC for us draft geeks :kitten: