PDA

View Full Version : (Alan Burge column) Tate a happy Texan; Ryan Mathews "scared" he'd be a Texan

GP
05-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Well, well, well.....Is it possible that we might have some extra incentive to shut down Ryan Mathews when we play the Chargers? I think Pollard, Cushing, and a few others will make him wish he HAD been a Texan.

It's not like me to go TMZ on you, but while scrolling through my news feeds last night I ran across an interesting quote by the San Diego Chargers first round pick Ryan Mathews.

You may recall that Mathews, the junior running back from Fresno State, was reported by some to be a first round draft target of the Texans.

But it doesn't appear that Mathews was all that keen on the idea of becoming a Texan according to a recent article in San Diego Entertainer Magazine.

“All the talk about Houston and stuff, it really started to scare me and everything,” said Mathews in the article.

Now before you blow up the comments section under that article, keep in mind that we have little or no context for what Mathews said and why he said it. click here to read the full story... (http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2010m5d1-Ryan-Mathews-scared-the-Texans-would-draft-him-in-first-round)

My take on this: He wanted to stay in California, and that's cool. But the main issue here, IMO, is that we missed out on a running back (Mathews) who might not have wanted to be here.

Sure, he could have come around once he saw the $$$ and got over the initial "pain" of not being selected by the Chargers. Nonetheless, it's an issue of Tate being thrilled (just to play at all!) and Mathews being picky.

Whether this is manufactured drama or not, it's still SOMETHING to think about and build up as we get going and eventually face the Chargers.

badboy
05-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Locker room bulletin board stuff only. Kid preferred to play in home state. Cool. He should get same response any RB gets "knocked you on your butt, didn't we? Oh, BTW, welcome to Houston."

Tate will sign big contract to play in a system that he should excell in with a team that wants and needs him desperately? Again a no brainer.

No More 8-8's
05-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Probably taken out of context. San Diego is his favorite team, so of course we wants to play for them. Also LT was his idol growing up. There was alot of reasons for him to fear being picked away from his ideal location.

With that in mind, I hope Cushing breaks Ryan Mathews jaw.

ChampionTexan
05-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Probably taken out of context. San Diego is his favorite team, so of course we wants to play for them. Also LT was his idol growing up. There was alot of reasons for him to fear being picked away from his ideal location.

Could have been a number of things - the SD connection being one of them, or he could have even been talking about being scared of dropping all the way down to #20, and that's very well how it could have turned out if SD hadn't traded up for him. (or it could have been that there was some reason he didn't want to play for the Texans).

Whatever the reason, I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Second Honeymoon
05-03-2010, 09:48 AM
He was scared that he might end up a Texan.
Well I was scared that he might end up a Texan too.
I guess we both got a sigh of relief when that asshat went to SD

oh and I am really surprised that a Fresno State player is such a prima Donna little girl. I guess it must be something in the water there that has them churn up so many garbage football professionals. The little puss will probably be on the IR with a hangmail or PMS by Week 3

Ryan Matthews, you suck

gtexan02
05-03-2010, 09:55 AM
I agree with ChampionTexan. This is taken completely out of context. He was scared of dropping to pick #20, when he thought he could go much earlier. Thats millions of dollars he was scared of losing, not anything about houston imo

Cush the Great
05-03-2010, 10:07 AM
He was scared that he might end up a Texan.
Well I was scared that he might end up a Texan too.
I guess we both got a sigh of relief when that asshat went to SD

oh and I am really surprised that a Fresno State player is such a prima Donna little girl. I guess it must be something in the water there that has them churn up so many garbage football professionals. The little puss will probably be on the IR with a hangmail or PMS by Week 3

Ryan Matthews, you suck

Agreed. I was jumping up and down when the Chargers traded up and even though the lack of context might be the only thing making this a story count me in as someone wanting to see this guy get stumped hard by one of ours either way.

And I might end up way wrong with this assessment but give me Tate all day over another first round pick from Fresno State.

Ole Miss Texan
05-03-2010, 10:12 AM
It'd be similar to a guy from UT saying he was scared of all the talk about dropping to a California team but is happy to be selected by the Texans. Particularly if he grew up in Texas and since he played ball hours away from Houston and his idol growing up played for Houston. :spin:

I think Cushing should knock the piss out of him because he's an opponent, not because of his comments who make some fans booty hurt.:bat:

GP
05-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I love all the different takes on this. This thread is awesome so far.

The thing that sticks out, to me, is that he used the word "scared." Which can be interpreted in many ways, according to each person's opinion or agenda. I foresee Cushing and Pollard using it as bulletin board material.

Yeah, he probably meant that he didn't want to last until pick 20. Our name had been associated with potentially targeting him at #20, so he was "scared" that he would drop that low.

But it still remains that we DID take a running back in round 2. So now our guy will square off against Mathews when we play them, and I think that's going to make guys like Cushing and Pollard see to it that Mathews has the lesser day of the two running backs. At least I hope so.

I want to see a huge professionally-printed banner hanging over the doorway of the Texans locker room, when we are vs. Chargers, that says this:

"All the talk about Houston and stuff, it really started to scare me and everything."- Ryan Mathews

badboy
05-03-2010, 10:25 AM
I love all the different takes on this. This thread is awesome so far.

The thing that sticks out, to me, is that he used the word "scared." Which can be interpreted in many ways, according to each person's opinion or agenda. I foresee Cushing and Pollard using it as bulletin board material.

Yeah, he probably meant that he didn't want to last until pick 20. Our name had been associated with potentially targeting him at #20, so he was "scared" that he would drop that low.

But it still remains that we DID take a running back in round 2. So now our guy will square off against Mathews when we play them, and I think that's going to make guys like Cushing and Pollard see to it that Mathews has the lesser day of the two running backs. At least I hope so.

I want to see a huge professionally-printed banner hanging over the doorway of the Texans locker room, when we are vs. Chargers, that says this:

"All the talk about Houston and stuff, it really started to scare me and everything."- Ryan MathewsIf you like these posts, read the other thread where this came up over a week ago.

BigBull17
05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Maybe he was scarred of having to practice with Pollard, Cushing, Demeco, and Mario. It does sound daunting. He'll be able to roid up with "Lights out" to have a better chance of survival. BTW, if LT was your idol, why would you go to the team that ran him into the groung and then out of town?

Cjeremy635
05-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Maybe he was scarred of having to practice with Pollard, Cushing, Demeco, and Mario. It does sound daunting. He'll be able to roid up with "Lights out" to have a better chance of survival. BTW, if LT was your idol, why would you go to the team that ran him into the groung and then out of town?

Bolded part should be a non issue. That's the "nature of the beast" when it comes to football.....and other pro sports as well. All teams do it and the athlete gets compensated very well for it.

ledzeppelin229
05-03-2010, 01:08 PM
I don't really read anything into...theres probably a number of teams that could have been substituted for "Houston" if they had called.

And I think the "scared" thing is just a figure of speech here. Probably should mean that it concerned him, nothing more.

BigBull17
05-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Bolded part should be a non issue. That's the "nature of the beast" when it comes to football.....and other pro sports as well. All teams do it and the athlete gets compensated very well for it.

Just throwing something out there. I know the game is very mercenary, but thought it was worth a little blurb.

GP
05-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Every team or player looks for an angle or edge against opponents.

Looking back on our younger years, try to think of your time in junior high or high school football: When you heard something that was said by a rival, whether it was true or not (or taken out of context) it became LAW and you couldn't wait to take it out on them on the field.

LOL. I just know there's at least two guys on that Texans defense who savor every little morsel of animosity they can build up against their opponent.

m5kwatts
05-03-2010, 01:57 PM
If the Texans had drafted him he would have said he's "glad to get away from everything and go to a new place where he'll only be focused on football."

Carr Bombed
05-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Okay, I might be walking out on a limb here......but I'm just going to throw this out there.

How many players from Fresno State really get drafted in the 1st round? I'm going to say not many, infact after checking, it isn't many. He's the 3rd highest drafted Bulldog in school history behind (obviously and painfully) David Carr and Trent Dilfer (#6 ovrl) and he's only the 5th player in school history to be taken in the 1st round (J.D. Williams and Logan Mankins).

Now allums talk to college players all the time..especially ones that come from a school with such a short list of 1st round products...what's to say after Ryan Mathews saw his name slotted next to Houston in just about ever draft that he didn't talk to David Carr? What if David Carr didn't have alot of positive things to say about the team and Kubiak who finally pushed him off the team?

I know there's alot of speculation there, but it's a interesting scenario. I just don't see how a player says..."I was scared I was going to go to Houston". When Houston didn't even get a chance to draft him. If he was happy to be in SD, he should've just said he's happy to go to S.D. and not have said anything about a team that drafted after he was already off the board.

bah007
05-03-2010, 07:27 PM
I honestly can't believe how some fans get so upset over things like this.

OzzO
05-03-2010, 07:47 PM
I think all of our defensive players need to be slapped in the face about 3 times prior to each game... just to get them fired up.

... just sayin.

Pocky
05-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Could have been a number of things - the SD connection being one of them, or he could have even been talking about being scared of dropping all the way down to #20, and that's very well how it could have turned out if SD hadn't traded up for him. (or it could have been that there was some reason he didn't want to play for the Texans).

Seriously.

Hey, there's a 8th grade football star at a local school in my city that said his favorite team is the Eagles. Let's all garner some black voodoo magic so he can break his leg and never get that slim chance to ever play against the Texans when he grows up!

No wonder people makes fun of us southern folks being 'angry rednecks'. Getting mad over some trivial shit like this. Bravo forum, bravo.

JB
05-03-2010, 08:35 PM

Dude! We gotta have something to talk about this offseason!

JB
05-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Seriously.

Hey, there's a 8th grade football star at a local school in my city that said his favorite team is the Eagles. Let's all garner some black voodoo magic so he can break his leg and never get that slim chance to ever play against the Texans when he grows up!

No wonder people makes fun of us southern folks being 'angry rednecks'. Getting mad over some trivial shit like this. Bravo forum, bravo.

Might be a little over the top. I have not seen anyone "mad" over this. Just something to talk about and plead for time to fly.

NitroGSXR
05-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Comments or no comments, bank on Mathews being Pollardized this season. Well shoot, contract year says it all. Everybody best watch out for Benard Pollard in 2010.... I hope Ryan Mathews likes snot bubbles.

JB
05-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Comments or no comments, bank on Mathews being Pollardized this season. Well shoot, contract year says it all. Everybody best watch out for Benard Pollard in 2010.... I hope Ryan Mathews likes snot bubbles.

:lol: :goodpost: :lol:

Carr Bombed
05-03-2010, 08:56 PM

Who really said that "they're upset". I don't really care....just biding time until the season starts. What else are we supposed to talk about. :gun:

Carr Bombed
05-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Dude! We gotta have something to talk about this offseason!
Might be a little over the top. I have not seen anyone "mad" over this. Just something to talk about and plead for time to fly.

rep, I didn't even see this post when I made mine :)

crap....I got to spread it.

SteveSlaton20
05-03-2010, 10:30 PM
never wanted him in the first place, glad we got tate instead.

TexansFanatic
05-04-2010, 12:09 AM
Damn, after watching that video of Tate crying his eyes out on draft night, I couldn't be happier to have him in the fold.

He's going to be the stud workhorse we've been in need of from day one and he's eager to please. I couldn't be happier for him and for us.

GP
05-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Seriously.

(sigh)

Typical.

This is for fun; nobody is "mad". I don't think anybody has even replied with a post that comes anywhere near being representative of what you're projecting this thread to be.

I know you're new and all, but you don't have to do this in order to prove anything or fit in. Go back and look at how many people in this thread kept it on-topic...until YOU came along and threw personal jabs at posters on this thread.

badboy
05-04-2010, 09:01 AM
I think all of our defensive players need to be slapped in the face about 3 times prior to each game... just to get them fired up.

... just sayin.Great idea and I nominate you to do the slapping. I will sell beer and popcorn during the blood drive for you. What type are you? lol

GP
05-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Great idea and I nominate you to do the slapping. I will sell beer and popcorn during the blood drive for you. What type are you? lol

What if we could put shock-collar devices, except embed it in the seat of the players' pants? If we needed a better pass rush, us fans could hit the little remote in our hands and YOWZER! watch them get after the QB a little bit faster.

That would be a safer alternative to the "slapping of the face" idea.

badboy
05-04-2010, 10:07 AM
What if we could put shock-collar devices, except embed it in the seat of the players' pants? If we needed a better pass rush, us fans could hit the little remote in our hands and YOWZER! watch them get after the QB a little bit faster.

That would be a safer alternative to the "slapping of the face" idea.
Great, but with some of our fans, the players would be jumping like puppets in the hands of someone strung out on amphetamines. I just know if your idea took off, my boss would get wind of it and...

GP
05-04-2010, 10:58 AM
SecondHoneymoon had said, somewhere else on the board, that he wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Mathews was out injured with a hang nail (at some point in the season).

There's been some knocks on Fresno State players, especially David Carr. Now, David Carr was accused of several things. I just opened up a recent story about Ryan Mathews (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/02/mathews-unplugged/), to highlight who the Chargers just drafted as their next big-time running back, and what stands out (to me) is this:

But consider that for various reasons, not the least of which being the wholly teenager ability to blend rebellion and apathy, there was a period when Mathews wasn’t enjoying football and wanted to quit.

At one point, Mathews told the adults who intervened that he might just end up going to work on the power lines, make a living and ride his beloved dirt bikes on weekends.

Don't shoot the messenger on this. Just sharing something that stood out to me. Ryan Mathews has had problems being motivated to be a great football player.

The article also details how he stayed up late, a supposed "casualty" of being raised in a single-parent home and that he stayed uplate due to mom being away for late-shift work. Well, OK. So it means (potentially) he had to have someone put a boot in his rump or he isn't going to do what he ought to do.

He had to have coaches AND his mom intervene and beg him to not give up football.

Again, just examining the mental/emotional composition of someone who was so coveted by the Chargerst hat they decided to leap-frog teams just to get him.

For all the talk about Dez Bryant and what might push him over the edge as an NFL'er...what about a guy who is going to be pressured to be THE big-time running back for the Chargers, who has had bouts of apathy toward football?

BigBull17
05-04-2010, 11:15 AM
SecondHoneymoon had said, somewhere else on the board, that he wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Mathews was out injured with a hang nail (at some point in the season).

There's been some knocks on Fresno State players, especially David Carr. Now, David Carr was accused of several things. I just opened up a recent story about Ryan Mathews (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/02/mathews-unplugged/), to highlight who the Chargers just drafted as their next big-time running back, and what stands out (to me) is this:

Don't shoot the messenger on this. Just sharing something that stood out to me. Ryan Mathews has had problems being motivated to be a great football player.

The article also details how he stayed up late, a supposed "casualty" of being raised in a single-parent home and that he stayed uplate due to mom being away for late-shift work. Well, OK. So it means (potentially) he had to have someone put a boot in his rump or he isn't going to do what he ought to do.

He had to have coaches AND his mom intervene and beg him to not give up football.

Again, just examining the mental/emotional composition of someone who was so coveted by the Chargerst hat they decided to leap-frog teams just to get him.

For all the talk about Dez Bryant and what might push him over the edge as an NFL'er...what about a guy who is going to be pressured to be THE big-time running back for the Chargers, who has had bouts of apathy toward football?

Thats crazy. Glad we were jumped.

b0ng
05-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Ryan Matthews is going to be who he's gonna be in the NFL, and I don't know what that is yet. I don't think he meant for his comments to sound malicious against Houston really.

But if Kubiak is any kind of coach this is prime prime bulletin board material and it should hang in all defensive players lockers until we play the Chargers.

GP
05-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Ryan Matthews is going to be who he's gonna be in the NFL, and I don't know what that is yet. I don't think he meant for his comments to sound malicious against Houston really.

But if Kubiak is any kind of coach this is prime prime bulletin board material and it should hand in all defensive players lockers until we play the Chargers.

That's the spirit! Right on, right on!

Ryan Mathews needs to be pinned into the backfield and not allowed to cross the line of scrimmage. It needs to be a day he wishes he could just get away and ride his dirt bikes.

Vinnie
05-05-2010, 09:38 PM

Pollard makes people wee wee, not cry and make snot bubbles, remember???

"You go and get the ball, I'm gonna knock the piss out somebody!" - Bernard Pollard

Carr Bombed
05-05-2010, 09:39 PM
The thing that I didn't like about Mathews is how the first major story the local media did about him was the 100,000 dollar car he bought. I know it probably has little to do with nothing, but I just got a bad vibe, like he feels he's already made it and accomplished. Then when you read the reports that people had to stay on his ass to keep him motivated...it usually doesn't work out when you give those type of players big money. (but then again...maybe I'm just completely off base and it's just a west coast thing)

On the flip side we saw how happy and emotional Tate was and how he's currently working with some of the best backs in the game. Tate just seems more hungry.

The last player I saw get that emotional when Houston drafted him was Dunta Robinson and regardless of how his career ended in Houston, he had one of the best rookie seasons ever in this franchise's short history.

Vinnie
05-05-2010, 09:43 PM
The thing that I didn't like about Mathews is how the first major story the local media did about him was the 100,000 dollar car he bought. I know it probably has little to do with nothing, but I just got a bad vibe. On the flip side we saw how happy and emotional Tate was and how he's currently working with some of the best backs in the game.

The last player I saw get that emotional when Houston drafted him was Dunta Robinson and regardless of how his career ended in Houston, he had one of the best rookie seasons ever in this franchises short history.

Now now, don't get down on the kid because he bought a bad ass car. I think Mario bought one. Or four. Or six.

Carr Bombed
05-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Now now, don't get down on the kid because he bought a bad ass car. I think Mario bought one. Or four. Or six.

Yeah I know, but he was also drug through the cleaners by the media so he had to produce and justify his draft status. I wasn't too happy with how Mario had to be called out by his coach last year. It really disappointed me. He needs to get back to the "prove the doubters wrong" type player that he was early on.

Vinnie
05-05-2010, 10:05 PM
But none of that has anything to do with him having a fancy car fetish. Don't get a bad feeling about a kid just because he was just handed millions and he bought a nice car. I guess he could have bought a hyperbaric chamber like Cushing, but then he'd be a freak like people called Brian right? :mcnugget:

Carr Bombed
05-05-2010, 10:10 PM
But none of that has anything to do with him having a fancy car fetish. Don't get a bad feeling about a kid just because he was just handed millions and he bought a nice car. I guess he could have bought a hyperbaric chamber like Cushing, but then he'd be a freak like people called Brian right? :mcnugget:

AGAIN.....it wasn't just the car. It was the story on how he had to be pushed to be the kind of player he is.......he wasn't "self motivated", when you hand those type of players LARGE contracts sometimes bad things happen. It's hard to motivate a millionaire how already has everything. Players that aren't "self motivated" tend to not do so well in this league.

P.S.

Making a hyperbaric chamber your first major purchase to heal up/recover quicker when you're a rookie = complete badassness.....don't forget it :) And Cushing IS A FREAK.

DerekLee1
05-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Then there's Ben Tate, who was crushed when he thought the Texans had already picked someone else. And then broke down in tears when Coach Kubiak called him and told him he'd been selected. He wants to do everything he can to make the Texans a winner. I'm a legit Tate fan now and will be cheering my ARSE off for this guy to succeed.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=897632350468

Ole Miss Texan
05-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Then there's Ben Tate, who was crushed when he thought the Texans had already picked someone else. And then broke down in tears when Coach Kubiak called him and told him he'd been selected. He wants to do everything he can to make the Texans a winner. I'm a legit Tate fan now and will be cheering my ARSE off for this guy to succeed.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=897632350468

It seems to me that Tate is truly grateful to have this chance in the nfl, feels blessed to have made it and is hungry to succeed, work as hard as he can, and do well for himself, his teammates, his fans and I get the sense he feels like he has to prove himself and that Kubiak won't regret it. That's the kind of player I love.

[/runonsentence]

CloakNNNdagger
05-06-2010, 10:00 AM
It seems to me that Tate is truly grateful to have this chance in the nfl, feels blessed to have made it and is hungry to succeed, work as hard as he can, and do well for himself, his teammates, his fans and I get the sense he feels like he has to prove himself and that Kubiak won't regret it. That's the kind of player I love.

[/runonsentence]

Great players in any sport are seldom motivated by money. They are usually rewarded by it. Great players are motivated from within. They find ways to maintain their own motivation.

Another sport, I know, but Mickey Mantle was such a player. He said that there were always new reasons he would find to "better" himself. During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball.-----Mickey Mantle

Brando
05-22-2010, 03:22 PM
NFL Live Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4K4DUcbxMg)

If you listen to Trey Wingo we have Ryan Mathews. Since when did we draft Ryan Mathews to help our running game? Marcellus Wiley's expression is exactly my reaction. Big brain fart, Trey Wingo.

GP
05-23-2010, 03:04 PM
NFL Live Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4K4DUcbxMg)

If you listen to Trey Wingo we have Ryan Mathews. Since when did we draft Ryan Mathews to help our running game? Marcellus Wiley's expression is exactly my reaction. Big brain fart, Trey Wingo.

Did he call us the Oilers, too? I think Mayock did on draft day.

How about our GM, Mr. Richard Smith? Did he mention him?

Oh, but they know the name of Brian Cushing don't they? Jerks.

Wingo is Top 3 in my book of azzhats. Salisbury and Paul Maguire round out the Top 3. Deion Sanders is honorable mention, first alternate.

Here's the lineup for Hall of Fame Azzhat NFL Analysts:

Maguire, one of the biggest Oilers hater analysts evah:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1x1mvb2W23Q/Skgoj9hEpgI/AAAAAAAABtI/hCNMA3NHMEk/s320/maguie.jpg

Wingo, The DingoBat:

http://media.bonnint.net/dado/oss-trav/3/306/30615.jpg

And Salisbury SteakFace:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/assets_c/2009/10/sean-salisbury-deadspin-thumb-258x288-12738.jpg

Deion doesn't get his photo posted because he has the distinction of having played for the Cowboys.

b0ng
05-23-2010, 03:28 PM
I always thought little dickie justice age 12 was one of the worst "analysts" I've ever read.

Skip Bayless is the worst I've seen on TV.

imatexan
05-23-2010, 06:25 PM

Say bad things about my city or team and I will get upset, I take pride in things I do and where I am from.

I am not talking about just this particular incident, just in general.

HoustonFrog
05-24-2010, 07:16 AM

This was my take on it!

Not a big deal at all. He was probably discussing nerves on a draft day where a yound kid was looking to get picked by a team that said they wanted him.

eriadoc
05-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Great players in any sport are seldom motivated by money. They are usually rewarded by it. Great players are motivated from within. They find ways to maintain their own motivation.

That's not sports; that's life.

Dread-Head
05-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Ryan Matthews? Someone should send this to the Texans seccondary so they know to light this muff-hugga up like a Christmas tree whenever a molecule of his sweat touches a ball when they play.

badboy
05-24-2010, 11:57 AM
I am not getting upset that a teenager had to be motivated to play football or gets into minor crap especially if daddy is not around. $100,000 for a car? Better than a hooker and drugs but not as fine as an American Offshore racing boat. Yes, I still miss 1 BAD BOY. Nothing Ryans does interests me until he walks on to the field against Texans. I am much for concerned about stupid stuff our guys might do.

Wolf
11-02-2010, 04:17 PM
just a friendly http://forums.pcpitstop.com/public/style_emoticons/default/bump.gif before the game coming up

Norg
11-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Who cares hes been playing hot and cold today

What worries me this games is Gates and SPoiles

Norg
11-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Guess who is also Back

Kris Brown and Travis Jackson

I hope KB is the kicker in a clutch KICK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:texflag:

Ryan
11-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Guess who is also Back

Kris Brown and Travis Jackson

I hope KB is the kicker in a clutch KICK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:texflag:

Travis....Jackson? :kubepalm:

fiasco west
11-02-2010, 05:18 PM
How has Ryan been doing any ways? Seems he hasn't been making a lot of noise in the NFL. RBs usually don't take long at all to know what they are going to be. Seems like IMO he woulda been a disappointment here.

Glad the Arian thing is working out. Made me completely forget about this guy.

kiwitexansfan
11-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Ryan Matthews? Someone should send this to the Texans seccondary so they know to light this muff-hugga up like a Christmas tree whenever a molecule of his sweat touches a ball when they play.

Seriously? The Secondary lighting someone up?

Did you mean 'ole as he runs past them, or wave as they forget to cover him for yet another first down?

This is our secondary getting prepared for Sunday....

http://www.mexicocooks.com/images/bread-in-fire.jpg

Carr Bombed
11-02-2010, 05:32 PM
How has Ryan doing any ways? Seems he hasn't been making a lot of noise in the NFL. RBs usually don't take long at all to know what they are going to be. Seems like IMO he woulda been a disappointment here.

Glad the Arian thing is working out. Made me completely forget about this guy.

Tolbert is the best back on that team....I watched that game Sunday and he was running over Titan defenders. Somebody just needs to give him a shot, it looks like SD might've found another Michael Turner in their backfield.....dude just needs a shot as a starter.

Texans34Life
11-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Who is Travis Jackson?

IBleedTexans
11-03-2010, 08:34 AM
He means Vincent Jackson and he still has to serve a 3 game suspension. Won't be back till week 10

BigBull17
11-03-2010, 08:42 AM
I would be scarred to be a RB on this team as well.

" Wait, so I'm being rewarded for my stellar play by NOT getting touches in my first Monday Night Game while Matt is being sodomized on National TV? Thanks coach..."

HTown2ATX
11-03-2010, 08:48 AM
I would be scarred to be a RB on this team as well.

" Wait, so I'm being rewarded for my stellar play by NOT getting touches in my first Monday Night Game while Matt is being sodomized on National TV? Thanks coach..."

Great use of sodomy as a visual! LMAO! Rep.

Exhumed - Gore Metal album - Sodomy and Lust....bad ass song!! :jam:

IDEXAN
11-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Tolbert is the best back on that team....I watched that game Sunday and he was running over Titan defenders. Somebody just needs to give him a shot, it looks like SD might've found another Michael Turner in their backfield.....dude just needs a shot as a starter.
Mike Tolbert (born November 23, 1985 in Douglasville, Georgia) is an American football fullback for the San Diego Chargers of the National Football League. He was signed by the Chargers as an undrafted free agent in 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tolbert
Sound familiary ? Another undrafted FA coming out of college like our guy Foster. I tell ya these guys are everywhere and there's no point wasting high picks on them (Chargers used what on Matthews, 12th overall ?).

BigBull17
11-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Mike Tolbert (born November 23, 1985 in Douglasville, Georgia) is an American football fullback for the San Diego Chargers of the National Football League. He was signed by the Chargers as an undrafted free agent in 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tolbert
Sound familiary ? Another undrafted FA coming out of college like our guy Foster. I tell ya these guys are everywhere and there's no point wasting high picks on them (Chargers used what on Matthews, 12th overall ?).

And a trade up. For a guy who lacks a little heart. He'll kill us, but who doesn't.

Rey
11-02-2012, 10:38 AM
A caller brought this up on 790...

Just thought it was interesting and wondered how Ryan felt now...

I know how I feel....

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29466243.jpg

thunderkyss
11-02-2012, 11:43 AM
A caller brought this up on 790...

Just thought it was interesting and wondered how Ryan felt now...

I know how I feel....

If I were Tate, I'd think I would be happier as the starting RB for the Chargers. That team would be 6-2 right now if that were the case.

If I were Tate.

If I were Ryan, I'd still be happy being the starter in SD than being the back up in Houston.

hookinreds
11-02-2012, 12:18 PM
http://www.layercake.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/shermanpeabody.jpg Where do you want to go back to now Mr. Peabody? :spin:

houstonspartan
11-02-2012, 12:19 PM
If I were Tate, I'd think I would be happier as the starting RB for the Chargers. That team would be 6-2 right now if that were the case.

If I were Tate.

If I were Ryan, I'd still be happy being the starter in SD than being the back up in Houston.

No, they wouldn't. San Diego is a terribly-coached team (don't let last night's win over a horrible KC team fool you). Norv Turner wouldn't know what to do with a talented RB like Ben Tate.

Currently, being a backup RB in Houston is higher profile than being a lead RB in San Diego. In Houston, the offense gets a lot of attention, and so even the back-up RB benefits.

GP
11-02-2012, 12:20 PM

If I were Tate.

You honestly sit there and say the Chargers would be 6-2 because of one player: Ben Tate?

Wow. LOL.

Rey
11-02-2012, 01:29 PM

If I were Tate.

TK, That's ridiculous...

At the time of that draft Arian was not Arian. Ryan would have come in and been the starter. He didn't want to come here because he thought we sucked. We did at the time, but still...He didn't want to come here because we weren't that good and now he's on a team thats not that good...

And you think Tate would rather be in SD than in Houston?

doubtful. He'll get more money on his next contract backing up Arian here than he would as a starter in SD.

houstonspartan
11-02-2012, 02:49 PM
TK, That's ridiculous...

At the time of that draft Arian was not Arian. Ryan would have come in and been the starter. He didn't want to come here because he thought we sucked. We did at the time, but still...He didn't want to come here because we weren't that good and now he's on a team thats not that good...

doubtful. He'll get more money on his next contract backing up Arian here than he would as a starter in SD.

Yep

Perki-Perk
11-02-2012, 03:15 PM
You honestly sit there and say the Chargers would be 6-2 because of one player: Ben Tate?

Wow. LOL.

Shhh! He's trying to raise his trade value. Let the man do work!

SteveSlaton20
11-02-2012, 03:48 PM
TK, That's ridiculous...

Arian had a couple of big games the year before and helped us to our first winning season, so some of us had faith in Arian, and he proved himself with one of the best season opening game against the Colts. Yeah, everyone wanted a RB, but I never wanted Ryan Mathews, and after he made that statement, I was glad we didnt draft him.

badboy
11-02-2012, 03:50 PM
YepNot if he can't get on the field.

Brisco_County
11-02-2012, 04:34 PM
I remember every sports pundit telling Houston fans that the Texans would be crazy to not take Matthews, he was the missing piece to our success, and maybe we should trade up. Even John McClain was on the bandwagon, despite knowing that the ZBS doesn't need a 1st round RB. It reminded me a lot of when the media told us we needed to take Reggie Bush. The media loves to convene on what the Texans need to be doing. Maybe so we'd look more like the Jets.

The Pencil Neck
11-02-2012, 05:33 PM
I was one of the ones pounding on the table for Ryan Mathews. And in the same situation, I'd still be pounding on the table for the best RB we could find.

Usually, the best running backs in the league are high round draft picks. Not always, but usually.

If you want to have a superior running game, then you need to invest in the position. That means a mixture of high and low round draft choices. Draft RBs early and often.

Why? Because it's a position that breaks. You need a talented stable of RBs to draw on.

The fact that you can get yards with a lower round back or that a higher round draft choice might only give you a couple of years of productivity doesn't mean that you should stop drafting RBs in the early rounds, it means you should pick up a quality back whenever you have the chance.

After a few good games at the end of his rookie season, we really didn't know if Arian was a hoss who could carry us or if he was a Chris Taylor who would break and fade away. So we had to draft a RB early that year. We were a running team without a certified stud RB.

And we did draft a RB early; we got Tate. And that's been a huge boost to us. But he's breaking. It's time to pick out another couple of good RBs in this upcoming draft and select them. Unless Forsett and Grimes really step up. (And even then, I'd consider drafting at least 1 RB.)

thunderkyss
11-02-2012, 06:50 PM
No, they wouldn't. San Diego is a terribly-coached team (don't let last night's win over a horrible KC team fool you). Norv Turner wouldn't know what to do with a talented RB like Ben Tate.

Whoa..... I didn't say they would be 6-2. I'm saying a competitor like Ben Tate wouldn't let their current record distract him from wanting to be a starter & going to a team where he has reasonable expectations of being a starter. Even with Matthews there, he probably thinks he would have won the job by now & they'd be on a 5 game win streak.

TK, That's ridiculous...

I don't know about ridiculous. The first time Matthews put the ball on the ground, Arian would have his chance & we'd be right back to where we are now. Arian is the man & the talented high draft pick would be carrying his pads to & from the practice field.

dream_team
11-02-2012, 06:52 PM
TK, That's ridiculous...

Not necessarily true. Keep in mind all of the talk in training camp was how good Arian looked and he was listed as the #1, even though people already penciled in Tate as the starter.

Sure, it didn't help that Tate got injured in the pre-season. Also, maybe Ryan would have really impressed and out-performed Arian in the pre-season to claim the starting spot. But at the same time, no guarantee Ryan would have been the starter. IMO, he would have been #2.

Texan_Bill
11-02-2012, 07:21 PM

If I were Tate.

If I were Tate, I'd be more worried about me getting healthy for a better deal from another team. With his health this season, I doubt the "San Diego Not so Super Chargers" would be any better off than they are now although I might, maybe, possibly concede one more game in the win column.

Rey
11-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Not necessarily true. Keep in mind all of the talk in training camp was how good Arian looked and he was listed as the #1, even though people already penciled in Tate as the starter.

Sure, it didn't help that Tate got injured in the pre-season. Also, maybe Ryan would have really impressed and out-performed Arian in the pre-season to claim the starting spot. But at the same time, no guarantee Ryan would have been the starter. IMO, he would have been #2.

You're not taking a rb that early and sitting him behind an udfa.

He would have started and foster would have backed him up.

GP
11-02-2012, 10:24 PM

Whoa..... I didn't say they would be 6-2. I'm saying a competitor like Ben Tate wouldn't let their current record distract him from wanting to be a starter & going to a team where he has reasonable expectations of being a starter. Even with Matthews there, he probably thinks he would have won the job by now & they'd be on a 5 game win streak.

http://i.neoseeker.com/bl/757/447757/3474/stoned_2852.jpg

Thorn
11-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Perhaps Fiddler had a tip of the sounge.

GP
11-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Perhaps Fiddler had a tip of the sounge.

He says one thing, then when challenged...he says "that's not what I said."

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00786/bill-clinton-460_786386c.jpg

GP
11-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Sorry, Fiddler/TK...it's a pattern you have.

You flat out said one thing, then said that's not what you said. And I don't even get your explanation of how you were misinterpreted. If you were misinterpreted, I suggest re-thinking a post before hitting "submit"...it could save a lot of time for everyone. Not being hateful just saying that I really, genuinely do not get your explanation on this.

This is up there with you saying Steve Slaton was running better in 2010 than he was in 2008...then saying that's not what you said, that we had misconstrued your comments.

When you say "Running BETTER than..." it means he was better in his worst year than he was in his best year.

When you say "Ben Tate would be looking at a 6-2 record if he were on the Chargers" that means you think Ben Tate is that big of a difference maker on a pretty flimsy Chargers team.

In both instances, you're suspending reality in favor of some other criterion. You said Slaton ran better in 2010 but his stats didn't show it because of many factors, and now you're saying the stats for the Chargers would be better if Tate were a RB there. It's a pattern.

Lurvinator11
11-03-2012, 12:10 AM
This is what I got out of this thread:

Fiddler is apparently Thunderkysss.

Mind=Blown.

SheTexan
11-03-2012, 10:14 AM
WHY do you guys dig up OLD threads???? This was started TWO flippin years ago!! Geeeezzzz!

GP
11-03-2012, 11:28 AM
WHY do you guys dig up OLD threads???? This was started TWO flippin years ago!! Geeeezzzz!

It's the bye week blues...we got da bye week blues...oooooh!
Da bye week blues.
We ain't got nuthin' worth talking 'bout, 'cept a dirty old thread...
It gonna' take a Texans-Bills game to get da blues out of our head!
The bye week blues...

SheTexan
11-03-2012, 11:33 AM
It's the bye week blues...we got da bye week blues...oooooh!
Da bye week blues.
We ain't got nuthin' worth talking 'bout, 'cept a dirty old thread...
It gonna' take a Texans-Bills game to get da blues out of our head!
The bye week blues...

LOL!! It's not the bye week dufus!!!:texflag:

GP
11-03-2012, 11:50 AM
LOL!! It's not the bye week dufus!!!:texflag:

It is too. Two weeks worth.

You trying to tell me my blues are only good for one week? You can't tell a man how long his blues last. They deep, SheTexan. Deep as that Gulf water. And muddy too. Nasty. Full of cloudy vision and BP sludge and stuff.

OOOOOoooooh! I got dem bye week blues!

thunderkyss
11-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Sorry, Fiddler/TK...it's a pattern you have.

I think it's a reading comprehension problem. I have not made a statement of any kind of what I think the Chargers would do with Ben Tate as their starting RB.

I said, If I were Ben Tate, I wouldn't look at that record & think that team sucks. If I were Ben Tate I would think that any team I am starting on would be a winning team. He probably said the same thing when he was drafted by the Texans. Probably thought he'd be the starting running back & that we would be successful because of it.

I have yet to state what I think the Chargers would have done if Ben Tate was their starting running back. I have stated several times what I think Ben Tate would think if he was the starting running back.

& as far as Steve Slaton, no, you will never see what I was seeing. Your opinion is based on his stats. He ran for a lot of yards that one year. But if you go back to the game logs, you'll see there were several runs for short gains. If you can find the film, you'll see a lot of his runs came after he was initially stopped, ran into a pile, then somehow or another managed to stay on his feet, cut back the other way & make a big gain after everyone else was trapped in the pile.

The year I said he was running better, was the year he was actually seeing the holes & hitting them. Not being touched for several yards beyond the LOS.

He was running better, not getting many opportunities for other reasons, so his stats suffered.

I'm not the only one who mentioned that about Slaton. I may be the only one to stick it out there & say that Slaton was running better. But I am not alone in my observations.

Same thing when looking at Myers & Kj. I see the talent, I see the consistency, I see the ability to make plays. You & several others see stats. Once the rest of the team got better around those two players, then everyone can see how good they really are. You & they are looking at trailing indicators, I'm looking at leading indicators.

If you don't get me, that's fine.

HOU-TEX
11-09-2012, 08:48 AM
This is what I got out of this thread:

Fiddler is apparently Thunderkysss.

Mind=Blown.

http://therynoshorn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/mind-blown-gif.gif