PDA

View Full Version : Army player drafted in '08, served two years, now getting his chance with Lions!!!

GP
04-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Remember the story about the Army player who was drafted by the Lions, then had to leave and serve for two years? Well, he's back and he is getting that shot with the Lions. This is really good stuff.

The dream was so close to becoming reality for Caleb Campbell two years ago.

A standout college safety, Campbell became the first West Point football player drafted by an NFL team since 1997. The Detroit Lions chose the 6-foot-3 kid from small-town Texas in the final round assuming, thanks to U.S. Army policy instituted in 2005, he could play that fall and delay his five-year active duty military obligation.

The seventh-round draft pick, the 218th player selected in 2008, went through rookie camp only days after being cheered at Radio City Music Hall. He reported for preseason drills in July 2008 and had a contract ready to sign.

Then the dream appeared to end. The Lions were informed that the Army policy was trumped by Department of Defense rules prohibiting graduates of all three military academies from being excused from active duty for two years.

But the dream revived only a few weeks ago. The Lions invited Campbell to travel from his officer's course in air defense artillery at Fort Sill, Okla., for a private workout. He was offered another contract, and Friday the Lions announced he was signed. He learned only a few days ago that his request for early release from active duty should be granted by the Pentagon in mid-July -- in time for training camp -- as long as he graduates from officer school.

"I'm not just out there hanging and dangling from some rope and I don't know when my feet are going to touch the ground," 1st Lt. Campbell said Wednesday from Fort Sill, preparing for a Thursday morning flight to Detroit and rookie camp. "It definitely is comforting, and now you can focus."

This weekend, Campbell will be competing with several other Lions in rookie minicamp -- as a linebacker.

Full story here. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5149594)

Stemp
04-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Awesome!

BSofA04
05-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Can't help but root for this guy to make their team.

Seņor Stan
05-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Too bad he's just a 1st Lt. If he was a Captain, the Texans would have signed him.

Hardcore Texan
05-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I remember this story well, I am pulling for the guy! :patriot:

wagonhed
05-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Too bad he's just a 1st Lt. If he was a Captain, the Texans would have signed him.

:lol:

hookinreds
05-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Awesome, good to hear. I watch just about every Army game that gets on cable and remember watching the draft and pulling for this kid to get picked up.