PDA

View Full Version : 4-3 Under/Over

thunderkyss
04-29-2010, 09:13 PM
What's the difference?

The Pencil Neck
04-29-2010, 10:55 PM
What's the difference?

The way the line shifts and the linebackers line up.

In both the over and the under, one DT lines up pretty much over center. In the under, the other DT lines up on the weak side between the weak guard and tackle in a 3-tech position. In the over, that other DT lines up on the strong side. Everything shifts around based on that line shifting.

In the over/under, one of the LBs generally comes up onto the line and that's normally the Sam but for us, it's normally the Will, iirc.

Someone just posted a good link explaining it all. I had a link to another page discussing this as it pertained to the defense the Trojans used to run with Cushing/Maualuga/Matthews but that link is down now. :(

The Pencil Neck
04-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Here's a link with some good stuff...

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2009/05/your_thoughts_and_topics_neede.html

thunderkyss
04-30-2010, 06:10 AM
This is another link (http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2009/09bramel_idpguide.php) with some good information about defenses all together. It is really written from an IDP Fantasy Football perspective, and does a good job explaining some of the why's some players stand out.

Particularly interesting, is the DTs in a 4-3 defense. He mentions guys like John Randle and Warren Sapp were beasts because in addition to their natural talent the 4-3 under defense put them in positions to take advantage of their talent.

TheIronDuke
04-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Then all we'd need is a DT with actual talent and we'd be on our way!

thunderkyss
04-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Then all we'd need is a DT with actual talent and we'd be on our way!

I've just got through watching the first two games of the '09 season. We never, in those games, employed a 4-3 under, which helped those DTs make their names.

infantrycak
04-30-2010, 10:57 AM
I've just got through watching the first two games of the '10 season.

Where did you buy the prophesy TV?

thunderkyss
04-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Where did you buy the prophesy TV?

Whoops... '09