PDA

View Full Version : Texans Roster Age

Texans_Chick
04-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Here's my look at the Texans roster age compared to the league, best age for different positions, free agents, injuries as it relates to age and a random Farrah Fawcett clip:

Are the Houston Texans the 'Logan's Run' of the NFL? (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/04/are_the_houston_texans_the_log_1.html)

It's certainly not an exhaustive look at the subject, but I worry some still about the age of this team. Mentors are important. There's just some stuff players need to hear from talented peers that they can't hear from their position coaches.

El Tejano
04-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Old guy strong.

Ole Miss Texan
04-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Well, if Zgonina doesn't get re-signed the average age is going to drastically decrease. It's incredible to think of his "effect" on the average age of our team.

Zgonina increases it by .75
In reality he'd be replaced by another player, Earl Mitchell for example. The net effect would be a reduction of .40 to the average age.

I still find it funny that Rick Smith and Zgonina played together at Purdue.

Come to think of it, I think Matt Turk is older. Zgonina and Turk together... I think they're 81!! lol

TEXANS84
04-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Well, if Zgonina doesn't get re-signed the average age is going to drastically decrease. It's incredible to think of his "effect" on the average age of our team.

Zgonia's #92 went to Earl Mitchell. Me thinks Zgonia is done.

ObsiWan
04-29-2010, 07:07 PM
I think that Darren would definitely make our secondary <ahem> Sharper

:backsout:

brakos82
04-29-2010, 07:30 PM
I think that Darren would definitely make our secondary <ahem> Sharper

:backsout:

:shades:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

CloakNNNdagger
04-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Here's my look at the Texans roster age compared to the league, best age for different positions, free agents, injuries as it relates to age and a random Farrah Fawcett clip:

Are the Houston Texans the 'Logan's Run' of the NFL? (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/04/are_the_houston_texans_the_log_1.html)

It's certainly not an exhaustive look at the subject, but I worry some still about the age of this team. Mentors are important. There's just some stuff players need to hear from talented peers that they can't hear from their position coaches.

TC,

Logan's Run took me back some. Do you remember a movie that predates that by a decade?.........Wild in the Streets??? The tag line for the movie was "If you're thirty, you're through!"

JB
04-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Zgonia's #92 went to Earl Mitchell. Me thinks Zgonia is done.

And last year it went to Tim Jamison, until injuries called Z back.

Texans_Chick
04-29-2010, 09:43 PM
TC,

Logan's Run took me back some. Do you remember a movie that predates that by a decade?.........Wild in the Streets??? The tag line for the movie was "If you're thirty, you're through!"

HAHAHAHA!! You made me look. Here's the trailer for it on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRLwV2xafpk

That is hilarious. Both unwatchable yet fascinating.

"Mandatory retirement age at....30."

Texan_Bill
04-29-2010, 10:02 PM

Did you really just drop 'Logan's Run' on us?? :jk:

Great work.......... as usual.

Texan_Bill
04-29-2010, 10:04 PM
TC,

Okay Doc Jean, 'Logan's Run' is one thing, but a decade prior??? Well, not so much.

Lucky
04-29-2010, 11:05 PM
...but I worry some still about the age of this team. Mentors are important. There's just some stuff players need to hear from talented peers that they can't hear from their position coaches.
There is only one projected starter that will be 30 (Eugene Wilson). But, Schaub, Andre Johnson, Antonio Smith, Chris Myers, and Kevin Walter will either be 29 at the start of the season, or turn 29 during the season. Mario, DeMeco, Daniels, Pollard, and Winston may not be chronologically old (relative to pro football). However, they are all seasoned vets. Brian Cushing's savvy belies his age and experience. Their youth (combined with experience) should be an advantage going into the season. Not a detriment.

Kubiak and Smith have eschewed age and experience for youth and talent. I don't know what a "mentor" could possibly tell Schaub, AJ, or DeMeco that they don't already know. And I don't see why these players can't help the young players that are expected to contribute. I've seen great coaches like Walsh and Jimmy Johnson take young squads to championships. I can't think of a reason why this coaching staff can't coach these young vets up and lead them to a deep playoff run. Whether that happens, remains to be seen.

V3rm0nt3r
04-30-2010, 11:23 AM
There is only one projected starter that will be 30 (Eugene Wilson). But, Schaub, Andre Johnson, Antonio Smith, Chris Myers, and Kevin Walter will either be 29 at the start of the season, or turn 29 during the season. Mario, DeMeco, Daniels, Pollard, and Winston may not be chronologically old (relative to pro football). However, they are all seasoned vets. Brian Cushing's savvy belies his age and experience. Their youth (combined with experience) should be an advantage going into the season. Not a detriment.

Kubiak and Smith have eschewed age and experience for youth and talent. I don't know what a "mentor" could possibly tell Schaub, AJ, or DeMeco that they don't already know. And I don't see why these players can't help the young players that are expected to contribute. I've seen great coaches like Walsh and Jimmy Johnson take young squads to championships. I can't think of a reason why this coaching staff can't coach these young vets up and lead them to a deep playoff run. Whether that happens, remains to be seen.

You're right, Smithiak has traded mentors/veterans for youth and I think they saw that bite them in the ass with the whole Dunta situation. I think that, if we had had at least one more successful player in our secondary (Wilson hasn't been very successful throughout his career) to tell Dunta "Don't be a ********** moron," he would have come to terms on a new contract here in Houston.

Don't get me wrong, I like the prospects that we have in the lineup, but it still would have been nice to keep a semiproven vet in the secondary.

BigBull17
04-30-2010, 11:37 AM
You're right, Smithiak has traded mentors/veterans for youth and I think they saw that bite them in the ass with the whole Dunta situation. I think that, if we had had at least one more successful player in our secondary (Wilson hasn't been very successful throughout his career) to tell Dunta "Don't be a ********** moron," he would have come to terms on a new contract here in Houston.

Don't get me wrong, I like the prospects that we have in the lineup, but it still would have been nice to keep a semiproven vet in the secondary.

In the Free Agent age, you don't really get guys on teams who will do that. It's become alot more mercenary, IMO.

ObsiWan
04-30-2010, 11:41 AM

Jimmy Johnson was hired out of the college ranks - not far removed from a National Championship @ Miami - he would have a better rapport with the younger set than most. I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just that Jimmy Johnson may be a unique example. Walsh was hired off the Stanford campus after being the head man at Cal-Berkley. So he, too, had experience connecting to young-uns before his NFL head coaching career began.

Lucky
04-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Jimmy Johnson was hired out of the college ranks - not far removed from a National Championship @ Miami - he would have a better rapport with the younger set than most
If you're suggesting that Pete Carroll would have been an excellent choice, had McNair not brought back Kubiak...I agree. :)

eriadoc
04-30-2010, 10:29 PM
The age of the squad is by design. If Smithiak can't win with it, it's their own fault and they need to be canned. We'll see.

JB
04-30-2010, 10:39 PM
The age of the squad is by design. If Smithiak can't win with it, it's their own fault and they need to be canned. We'll see.

I can agree with that. I am hoping they see they need for a little quality veteran leadership. Somebody a bit beyond the Nick Fergusons of the world.

ObsiWan
04-30-2010, 10:44 PM
If you're suggesting that Pete Carroll would have been an excellent choice, had McNair not brought back Kubiak...I agree. :)

Now there's an interesting thought for the Soapers. Suppose McNair had fired Kubiak but instead of Cowher, hired Pete Carroll...?

I have to admit, Carroll put together a pretty solid draft for Seattle. It remains to be seen how his season will unfold. He actually has a winning record as an NFL head coach.

yeah... that would have been interesting.

V3rm0nt3r
04-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Now there's an interesting thought for the Soapers. Suppose McNair had fired Kubiak but instead of Cowher, hired Pete Carroll...?

I have to admit, Carroll put together a pretty solid draft for Seattle. It remains to be seen how his season will unfold. He actually has a winning record as an NFL head coach.

why are you encouraging them...?

JB
04-30-2010, 11:02 PM

Sorry, I don't like the guy. Never have, never will. His last NFL head coaching job was a nightmare. I think he is much more suited to the college game, where he can wow the youngsters with his mystique.

Kinda like Saban

ObsiWan
04-30-2010, 11:03 PM
why are you encouraging them...?
My bad...
I take it back.

kiwitexansfan
05-01-2010, 12:58 PM
I think that, if we had had at least one more successful player in our secondary (Wilson hasn't been very successful throughout his career) to tell Dunta "Don't be a ********** moron," he would have come to terms on a new contract here in Houston.

I think your wrong on this. From what I have heard from players in the Texans camp, most of them supported Dunta and feel that he should of been given what he wanted to stay here.

I think the FO and fans were anti-Dunta but I think he had a lot of support in th locker room.

Tailgate
05-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Found this over at Kuharskys blog.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/11629/texans-had-best-functional-average-age

Texans had best 'functional average age'

Youth and speed are always hot commodities in the NFL.

The 2009 Texans scored very well in the “functional average age” as calculated by Chase Stuart. He didn’t just look at the average age of the roster or the starters, he weighs a player’s age based on his role and contribution.

He concluded that Houston was the youngest team in the league with a team age of 25.9. The Texans were fifth on offense (26.5) and first on defense (25.3)

The biggest change on defense going forward is first-round pick Kareem Jackson taking over for departed cornerback Dunta Robinson, which should help keep the Texans especially young.

That the Texans went 9-7 with such youth was impressive.

Now it’s time for a double-digit win season and the franchise’s first playoff berth.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/how-to-measure-team-age-in-the-n-f-l-and-what-it-means-for-2010/

Age Team
25.9 Houston Texans
26.4 Jacksonville Jaguars
26.6 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
26.6 St. Louis Rams
26.6 New York Giants
26.7 Philadelphia Eagles
26.8 Miami Dolphins
26.8 Kansas City Chiefs
26.9 Chicago Bears
26.9 San Francisco 49ers
26.9 Carolina Panthers