PDA

View Full Version : Mawae blacklisted because of NLFPA job?

gtexan02
04-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Kevin Mawae is still out of work and the president of the NFL Players Association revisited the idea Wednesday that it's more than his age holding him back.

"I am unemployed and hoping someone will call," Mawae, 39, told "3 Hour Lunch" on 104.5 in Nashville. "It's kind of befuddling to me that I just came off my eighth Pro Bowl and a 16-game season and I can't get one phone call.

"Alan Faneca gets cut two days ago and yesterday he signs a contract with another team. And not to take anything away from him, we have the same agent, we're friends. But something tells me that there is something going on beside me just being 39 years old.

"I look on the rosters and I know there are teams that are hurt and struggling on the offensive line and yet I still haven't got a call," he said. "Part of me wants to say, yeah, I think my position with the union is a problem for a lot of management people. But at the end of the day I would hope they'd be able to overlook that for making the team better . . .

"It's a position that I chose and one that I accepted and I knew going into it that this could be the case. If that is, then so be it. Because ultimately my goal is to help the other players in the NFL make the right decision to do what's best for them, and if I lose my job because of that, then it is what it is and I can move forward knowing that I can do my best."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5143344

Big Poundcake
04-28-2010, 04:06 PM
I might be in the minority, but I'd take Mawae on the Texans.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2010, 04:30 PM
I might be in the minority, but I'd take Mawae on the Texans.

I don't know if he's asking for too much money, or if he fits in a ZBS scheme at all, or if he wants a contract that's too long, or what.

But I can't see how it would hurt bringing him in here and letting him compete with Myers for that job.

Mr. White
04-28-2010, 04:31 PM
I'd take him in a heartbeat over what we've got now.

HOU-TEX
04-28-2010, 04:39 PM
It might, just might, have something to do with being dang near 40 years old. Call me crazy, but it just might.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2010, 04:44 PM
It might, just might, have something to do with being dang near 40 years old. Call me crazy, but it just might.

Maybe... but he did start 16 games last season and went to the Pro Bowl.

We might be able to squeeze a year or two out of him. Maybe.

Blazing Arrow
04-28-2010, 05:01 PM
guy had a pretty big arm injury as I recall and is 39. Plus he outed Young a year or so ago.

He has to expect that if he will not take a backup role he will not hear his phone ringing anytime soon.

Goldensilence
04-28-2010, 05:34 PM
guy had a pretty big arm injury as I recall and is 39. Plus he outed Young a year or so ago.

He has to expect that if he will not take a backup role he will not hear his phone ringing anytime soon.

39 year old Mawae backup at center >current backup Chris White

Blazing Arrow
04-28-2010, 05:39 PM
39 year old Mawae backup at center >current backup Chris White

Is White the burning trash can you guys call a center atm?

eriadoc
04-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Is White the burning trash can you guys call a center atm?

Chris White is more than likely worse than 31 starting centers in the NFL. But that one ......