PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins GM asked Dez Bryant if mom was prostitute | Apologizes after

gg no re
04-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Guess this answers why one team passed on Dez... would've been kinda awkward

New Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant tells Yahoo! Sports that an NFL executive asked him during a predraft visit if his mother was a prostitute.

“They asked me if my mom’s a prostitute,” Bryant told Michael Silver. Bryant's advisor David Wells, who attended the meeting.

Said Bryant: “No, my mom is not a prostitute. I got mad – really mad – but I didn’t show it. I got a lot of questions like that: Does she still do drugs? I sat and answered all of them.”

Yahoo!, citing an anonymous source, reported that Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland asked the question.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/042810dnspobryantmomHP.29cb3cb.html

Yes, Jeff Ireland asked the question. And he is sorry he did.

The Dolphins general manager has called receiver Dez Bryant in the last hour and apologized for asking the player if his mother was ever a prostitute. The question came during a pre-draft interview at the Dolphins training facility earlier this month.

Bryant has apparently accepted the apology.

"My job is to find out as much information as possible about a player that I'm consider drafting," Ireland said in a statement. "Sometimes that leads to asking in-depth questions.

"Having said that, I talked to Dez Bryant and told him I used poor judgment in one of the questions I asked him. I certainly meant no disrespect and apologized to him.

"I appreciate his acceptance of that apology and I told him I wished him well as he embarks on his NFL career."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/#ixzz0mLXef8i5

JB
04-27-2010, 06:38 PM
There is absolutely no excuse for asking that question. If it was just to see his response, he should have been apoligized to immediately and told the reason for the question. If it was a serious question, then Ireland is just a scumbag.

Lucky
04-27-2010, 08:42 PM
There is absolutely no excuse for asking that question.
If the Dolphins really needed to know this, they should have hired an investigator. Ridiculously poor judgment.

Carr Bombed
04-27-2010, 08:48 PM
You know how Roger Goodell is on a crusade to "protect the shield"? (which I agree with) Well this should also fall under "protecting the league's image". Some of these interview questions are starting to get ridiculous and are becoming bad press. Goodell needs to get control of this. I don't care what job you're interviews for, the "is your mom a hooker" question should never be asked. If I was a top prospect and that dumbass asked me that question, I can assure you....I would've gone undrafted.

MannyFresh
04-27-2010, 10:02 PM
So this buffoon only says he's sorry after its brought out that it was him? I hope the Dolphins tank bad this year!

StarStruck
04-27-2010, 10:37 PM
My job is to find out as much information as possible about a player that I'm consider drafting," Ireland said in a statement. "Sometimes that leads to asking in-depth questions,"

WOW! What role was Dez' mom being recruited? If the answer was yes and Dez had always been a good child and young man, then his mother's behavior could have been the deciding factor in his draft status? But, hey guy, thanks!

NitroGSXR
04-27-2010, 10:44 PM
It's totally legit to ask if his mom's a prostitute. That kind of information is helpful in determining if you can be a top flight WR in the NFL.

StarStruck
04-27-2010, 10:56 PM
It's totally legit to ask if his mom's a prostitute. That kind of information is helpful in determining if you can be a top flight WR in the NFL.

How?

Kulluminatii
04-27-2010, 11:00 PM
How?

Either Nitro was trying to make a joke about wide receivers...or he is being sarcastic...or both. If so, touché good sir...touché. :tiphat:

StarStruck
04-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Either Nitro was trying to make a joke about wide receivers...or he is being sarcastic...or both. If so, touché good sir...touché. :tiphat:

I usually pick up on such, but it's late, I'm tired and not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

NitroGSXR
04-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Prostitutes are fairly acrobatic. It'd make sense if that was passed along to her children.

TexanBill? Can you confirm to their acrobatic ability?

Starstruck, I'm just yukkin' around with heavy sarcasm tonight. I'm even pissing the wife off.

Kulluminati, must spread yadada... I'll get you again as soon as I can!

StarStruck
04-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Prostitutes are fairly acrobatic. It'd make sense if that was passed along to her children.

TexanBill? Can you confirm to their acrobatic ability?

Starstruck, I'm just yukkin' around with heavy sarcasm tonight. I'm even pissing the wife off.

Kulluminati, must spread yadada... I'll get you again as soon as I can!

Gotcha! I will get Kull repped for you.

kastofsna
04-28-2010, 08:12 AM
yeah i don't really care what he asked him or any other prospect

GP
04-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Wow. Hey Dolphins, have fun playing against Dez Bryant.

He's going to make sure you pay for it.

And Goodell needs to screen all questions that will be asked of recruits, record those sessions, and review the tape to make sure those guys are not being treated with such blatant disrespect. Yeah, I know that's an extreme request that I have--I understand it would take a lot of work--but do it anyways.

"Is your mother a prostitute?" And the guy sits there and TAKES the question? Wow. I don't think I could have continued. I honestly don't think I could have.

BullNation4Life
04-28-2010, 09:27 AM
It think the point of the question is being missed.

Let me ask you a question, would you give 15 million dollars to a player who is A: emotionally compromised and B: mentally unable to control his actions on and off the field? IMO that was the sole purpose of the question so the Miami Dolphins do not have to deal with a Rapist-berger, Holmes, Burress, Pac Man Jones or any other player off field incident. If Bryant could answer that question, with control and positive, he passed the test. If not, if he exploded or went off, you think players on the field and reporter off the field won't ask similar questions to get a rise out of him? Say TMZ or somebody ask Bryant that same question and he goes off on the reporter and gets suspended 6 games or even for the year. who pays the 15 million back? Nobody, it's money down the drain.

Another team asked Tebow "Is God going to get in your way of being an NFL QB?"

Team asked Gerhart if he felt "entitled" because he was a "white" RB

You people need to understand, this isn't a everyday corporation. In corporate America, that question would get HR fired, but in a business where giving a player 15-25 million guaranteed is a common occurrence, that player better answer every freaking offensive and personal question I ask before I invest that kind of money in him. Like I said, he goes off his rocker off the field, I loose 15 Million on a head case...

HoustonFrog
04-28-2010, 09:42 AM

Let me ask you a question, would you give 15 million dollars to a player who is A: emotionally compromised and B: mentally unable to control his actions on and off the field? IMO that was the sole purpose of the question so the Miami Dolphins do not have to deal with a Rapist-berger, Holmes, Burress, Pac Man Jones or any other player off field incident. If Bryant could answer that question, with control and positive, he passed the test. If not, if he exploded or went off, you think players on the field and reporter off the field won't ask similar questions to get a rise out of him? Say TMZ or somebody ask Bryant that same question and he goes off on the reporter and gets suspended 6 games or even for the year. who pays the 15 million back? Nobody, it's money down the drain.

You people need to understand, this isn't a everyday corporation. In corporate America, that question would get HR fired, but in a business where giving a player 15-25 million guaranteed is a common occurrence, that player better answer every freaking offensive and personal question I ask before I invest that kind of money in him. Like I said, he goes off his rocker off the field, I loose 15 Million on a head case...

The problem with this is every reporter and person out there knew his familys background. You also can hire investigators to learn more info if you needed to. The question was just gratuitous. The kids was suspended for hanging with Deion and has been late sometimes. He hasn't been a criminal or done drugs or drinking. It was a b.s. question. There is a reason there is an apology now. If he wanted to ask a question then he should have just asked if his family situation will in anyway compromise his future in the league by making him act out.

JB
04-28-2010, 09:44 AM

That is why I posted above If it was just to see his response, he should have been apoligized to immediately and told the reason for the question.

If it was to see if you could get a rise outta him, there should have been an apology before the session ended.

BullNation4Life
04-28-2010, 09:52 AM
That is why I posted above

If it was to see if you could get a rise outta him, there should have been an apology before the session ended.

There probably wasn't one because a player usually doesn't rat out the GM who asked the questions. There are a ton of offensive questions asked to players. Haven't heard the GM that asked Tebow or Gerhart the offensive questions come out and apologize, and you won't because that is all part of the process...

BullNation4Life
04-28-2010, 09:58 AM
The problem with this is every reporter and person out there knew his familys background. You also can hire investigators to learn more info if you needed to. The question was just gratuitous. The kids was suspended for hanging with Deion and has been late sometimes. He hasn't been a criminal or done drugs or drinking. It was a b.s. question. There is a reason there is an apology now. If he wanted to ask a question then he should have just asked if his family situation will in anyway compromise his future in the league by making him act out.

Then you wouldn't get a true response. You would get the usual BS answer, "Um no sir not all." It wasn't a BS question, it was to see how he handled the question and the ONLY reason there was an apology issued is because someone opened their mouth to the press. Like I said, where it the apology from the GM that asked Tebow if "God was gonna get in his way of being a NFL QB?" Is that not a BS question? Or what about Gerhart getting asked if he felt "entitled to being a RB because he is white." Is that not a BS question and racist to boot? What do those 2 question have to do with football, everything and nothing.

Gratuitous or not, I am about to had 15 million to a kid that already comes into the league with baggage, no matter the offense. I want to be dam sure the kid can handle himself mentally and emotionally...

JB
04-28-2010, 09:59 AM
There probably wasn't one because a player usually doesn't rat out the GM who asked the questions. There are a ton of offensive questions asked to players. Haven't heard the GM that asked Tebow or Gerhart the offensive questions come out and apologize, and you won't because that is all part of the process...

Bryant needs to grow the hell up...

I don't think the questions asked those two compare to asking Bryant if his Mom is a whore. Not even close.

But I do agree Brany has maturity issues.

HoustonFrog
04-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Then you wouldn't get a true response. You would get the usual BS answer, "Um no sir not all." It wasn't a BS question, it was to see how he handled the question and the ONLY reason there was an apology issued is because someone opened their mouth to the press. Like I said, where it the apology from the GM that asked Tebow if "God was gonna get in his way of being a NFL QB?" Is that not a BS question? Or what about Gerhart getting asked if he felt "entitled to being a RB because he is white." Is that not a BS question and racist to boot? What do those 2 question have to do with football, everything and nothing.

Gratuitous or not, I am about to had 15 million to a kid that already comes into the league with baggage, no matter the offense. I want to be dam sure the kid can handle himself mentally and emotionally...

Those are b.s. questions but nothing like "hey is your mom a ho bag that slept with people for money." There had already been stories written about all of this. Give me a break. You are making up a reason for asking it. You are assuming it was to get a reaction when he could have just asked it because there are questions as to how screwed up his home life was. Ones that others could have answered. Just because there were two other out of bounds questions doesn't make this one right. And to call out Bryant...who basically did nothing wrong in this process is just dense. The problem is these interviews have become more than learning about a kid, they have become embarassing interrogations just for fun. At a real job they would be fired if they asked about things like their nationality, religion, age, race, sex, etc. So why is the NFL allowed to bring up race, family history, etc. You can't use the perspective employer excuse when they don't follow any set rules.

GP
04-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Those are b.s. questions but nothing like "hey is your mom a ho bag that slept with people for money." There had already been stories written about all of this. Give me a break. You are making up a reason for asking it. You are assuming it was to get a reaction when he could have just asked it because there are questions as to how screwed up his home life was. Ones that others could have answered. Just because there were two other out of bounds questions doesn't make this one right. And to call out Bryant...who basically did nothing wrong in this process is just dense. The problem is these interviews have become more than learning about a kid, they have become embarassing interrogations just for fun. At a real job they would be fired if they asked about things like their nationality, religion, age, race, sex, etc. So why is the NFL allowed to bring up race, family history, etc. You can't use the perspective employer excuse when they don't follow any set rules.

:clap:

At some point, this has become a situation where people are trying to see if they can be the one who makes a person "break."

I don't get the utter nastiness and vile, snarky attitude that certain elitist media and football gurus have toward Dez Bryant. I just don't.

He seems like a guy who just wants to suit up and play football. There are sooooo many other guys out there who do a good job of faking it and just want the money and get out a few years later. Dez doesn't come across as that type of person.

When OSU played TTU, and I'm a TTU fan, I dreaded every OSU offensive series because I knew Dez can make defenders look silly. He's THAT good. He is going to be a good player for the Cowboys. Dang it. :bangsheadondesk:

Blake
04-28-2010, 10:22 AM
The question was out of line. And he only appologized after the story broke. This guy doesnt care that Dez felt hurt by the question. Not one damn bit.

This is what Dez will listen to before they play the Dolphins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePyRrb2-fzs

WWJD
04-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Ok now that this story has been made a national one and Ireland apologized the commish needs to step in and have these execs follow some sort of protocol when interviewing players. There may be one already..I do not know..but these type of questions are out of line.

If they hold the players feet to the fire over conduct issues the same should apply to the FO guys.

BullNation4Life
04-28-2010, 10:52 AM

I see you added. Allow me to retort. This isn't a real job, this is a billion dollar business that pays players insane amounts of money to play a game they can be lost if the player flakes out. I think is so asinine when people try to compare sports to "real world". They are apples and oranges. If this was Bryant going in for a 100k a year job, and he was asked that question, then absolutely out of line, but this is someone who is about to cash a check for 15 million dollars and the Dolphins, at the time, wanted to be sure that if they DID draft Bryant we wasn't another Ricky Williams flake job.

Never ONCE said the question asked was right, only said I understood why it was asked. If you can't, then that is on you. Bryant broke an NCAA rule did he not? Doesn't matter how basic it was, he broke a rule that was severe enough to get suspended for the entire year. Not acknowledging that is dense. That goes onto his record, and with all the problems that are happening with players in the NFL, GMs best be dam sure they are getting a player that can handle themselves professionally.

The question was not posed like that, so quit putting words in the GMs mouth. The question was asked if his mother was a prostitute and if would have any effect on him as a NFL player. I don't need to make the reason up, questions like this are asked all the time by GMs. I happen to know a former WR that played for KC and you would he beyond shocked at the questions he was asked, far more offensive than this. But that is neither here nor there.

Doesn't matter if others can answer the question, it was to see how Bryant reacted. I don't need to have a GM or any new reported explain that. You think players are not going to use stuff like this against Bryant on the field. That same KC WR said to me that Deion Sanders wasn't the Christian he makes him self out to be now when he played against him. This guy had a sister that dated another NFL player and Sanders talked about wearing her out when the other guy was done.

Now if you want to argue the fact that the GM is not psychologist and that maybe someone with more credentials should have asked a question like that, hey I would totally agree. Like I said I never said it was right or should not have been asked, I just understand why it was asked.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2010, 10:53 AM
To me, this was just incredibly disrespectful and thoughtless. And I don't think the guy really feels any remorse about it except that people heard about it and got pissed off about it. In his heart, he probably still thinks it was a valid question. Not that I'm a psychic or anything.

GP
04-28-2010, 10:54 AM
I see you added. Allow me to retort. This isn't an real job, this is a billion dollar business that pays players insane amounts of money to play a game. I think is so asinine when people try to compare sports to "real world". They are apples and oranges. If this was Bryant going in for a 100k a year job, and he was asked that question, then absolutely out of line, but this is someone who is about to cash a check for 15 million dollars and the Dolphins, at the time, wanted to be sure that if they DID draft Bryant we wasn't another Ricky Williams flake job.

Never ONCE said the question asked was right, only said I understood why it was asked. If you can't, then that is on you. Bryant broke an NCAA rule did he not? Doesn't matter how basic it was, he broke a rule that was severe enough to get suspended for the entire year. Not acknowledging that is dense. That goes onto his record, and with all the problems that are happening with players in the NFL, GMs best be dam sure they are getting a player that can handle themselves professionally.

The question was not posed like that, so quit putting words in the GMs mouth. The question was asked if his mother was a prostitute and if would have any effect on him as a NFL player. I don't need to make the reason up, questions like this are asked all the time by GMs. I happen to know a former WR that played for KC and you would he beyond shocked at the questions he was asked, far more offensive than this. But that is neither here nor there.

Doesn't matter if others can answer the question, it was to see how Bryant reacted. I don't need to have a GM or any new reported explain that. You think players are not going to use stuff like this against Bryant on the field. That same KC WR said to me that Deion Sanders wasn't the Christian he makes him self out to be now when he played against him. This guy had a sister that dated another NFL player and Sanders talked about wearing her out when the other guy was done.

Now if you want to argue the fact that the GM is not psychologist and that maybe someone with more credentials should have asked a question like that, hey I would totally agree. Like I said I never said it was right or should not have been asked, I just understand why it was asked.

The question was not about Dez Bryant. It was about the character of is mother.

Some things should just be left alone. Case closed, IMO.

GP
04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
To me, this was just incredibly disrespectful and thoughtless. And I don't think the guy really feels any remorse about it except that people heard about it and got pissed off about it. In his heart, he probably HAD FUN ASKING THE question. Not that I'm a psychic or anything.

Fixed it for ya'.

HOU-TEX
04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Considering what these teams are about to pay these young men, I have no problem with the questions asked. He shouldn't of apologized

Rey
04-28-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't know the GM's motives for asking that question but does him apologizing fall under the category of "Wussification of America" ???

HoustonFrog
04-28-2010, 11:11 AM

Well said. Right.:tiphat:

These "interviews" are starting to remind me of the bad cop scenario or the one meatheaded hazer from a fraternity. They have a little power so they way overstep their authority just because they can. It's pathetic.

And there are corporations and firms that pay people plenty of money in America. Should we start having a salary ceiling on when we can start asking people stupid effing questions. "Hey, now that you've gone from 5 mil to 10 mil I can ask you, "did your Dad beat you and is your sister a prostitute?" Just dumb.

BullNation4Life
04-28-2010, 11:17 AM

And that very well may be but, IMO the question was asked to see what kind of reaction Bryant was going to reveal. Yes it is an assumption but from researching other questions asked by GMs, it is a safe assumption.

Like I stated before, put yourself in a GMs place and you have a 15 million dollar check in your hand that you want to give a draftee. Ok say this question never comes up but a member of the media ask the exact same question and Bryan goes off on the reporter. I know this is all theoretical, but had the GM asked a question like that before the draft and seen his response, he would not be out a player who just cashed a 15 million dollar check for character issues...

BullNation4Life
04-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Well said. Right.:tiphat:

These "interviews" are starting to remind me of the bad cop scenario or the one meatheaded hazer from a fraternity. They have a little power so they way overstep their authority just because they can. It's pathetic.

And there are corporations and firms that pay people plenty of money in America. Should we start having a salary ceiling on when we can start asking people stupid effing questions. "Hey, now that you've gone from 5 mil to 10 mil I can ask you, "did your Dad beat you and is your sister a prostitute?" Just dumb.

Easy for you to say all of this, your not the one writing 15+ million dollar check that you can lose if the player flakes out.

BullNation4Life
04-28-2010, 11:25 AM
To me, this was just incredibly disrespectful and thoughtless. And I don't think the guy really feels any remorse about it except that people heard about it and got pissed off about it. In his heart, he probably still thinks it was a valid question. Not that I'm a psychic or anything.

again, your not investing 15+ million dollars in someone you don;t know is mentally and emotionally stable....

HoustonFrog
04-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Easy for you to say all of this, your not the one writing 15+ million dollar check that you can lose if the player flakes out.

Here is an easy solution then...don't hire them if you already have read their background info. Is your report about this persons home life and tardiness going to change by how he answers "is your mother a prostitute?" There is nothing in that question that can tell you if a person is fit for football or not. If you think he has issues, don't hire(draft) him and pay him 15 mil. But again, there are corporations paying people millions. Law firms paying hundreds of thousands. Are you really going to put a dollar sign on how assinine you are allowed to be?Because that is what you are saying. The questions are pathetic, plain and simple and a way for an executive to get his rocks off by trying to be inflamatory. If I had my druthers I'd ask for each team to submit a list of questions and have the league approve it. The point isn't to embarrass kids or make them feel bad, it is to get to know them.

WWJD
04-28-2010, 11:45 AM
It was an inappropriate question and there is no justification for it. Period.

hobie
04-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Ahh, he must have seen Roadhouse the night before...

Bouncer at bar " What if they call my mom a whore"

Dalton " Is she"

I know that question was just wrong, and it's a shame a kid trying to get into the NFL had to endure that, but if asked the same thing to a potential FA, would that have provoked as a** beating? I don't know, but the kid from that point on could have told his agent that he would under no circumstances play for that team..

Ole Miss Texan
04-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Wow, that question has no relevance at all and completely inappropriate. I understand a team wanting to do all their due diligence but there are proper ways to do that and Ireland went about it the wrong way.

I think Bryant handled this really really well. It would have been awesome if Bryant answered the question as he did and then said, "and that was completely inappropriate. I will never play a single down of football for you so let's all save ourselves some time, this interview is over and I suggest you don't draft me. goodbye."

Kulluminatii
04-28-2010, 12:41 PM
The question was out of line. And he only appologized after the story broke. This guy doesnt care that Dez felt hurt by the question. Not one damn bit.

This is what Dez will listen to before they play the Dolphins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePyRrb2-fzs

Eh...I'm thinking he'll be listening to something along the lines of this(warning: strong language) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiMaOmDtaYI).

Back on topic, while I do think it was wrong of the Dolphins GM to ask this type of question, I do support the reasoning behind it. If the question was asked to gauge Bryant's response, then I would have been perfectly ok with it if right after the question was asked the GM clarified why he asked the question. He didn't, and that is why I have a problem with it.

JB
04-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Eh...I'm thinking he'll be listening to something along the lines of this(warning: strong language) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiMaOmDtaYI).

Back on topic, while I do think it was wrong of the Dolphins GM to ask this type of question, I do support the reasoning behind it. If the question was asked to gauge Bryant's response, then I would have been perfectly ok with it if right after the question was asked the GM clarified why he asked the question. He didn't, and that is why I have a problem with it.

That is the same thing I have been saying. I can understand asking a question to see if the young man loses his composure, but you just cannot leave it at that.

BullNation4Life
04-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Here is an easy solution then...don't hire them if you already have read their background info. Is your report about this persons home life and tardiness going to change by how he answers "is your mother a prostitute?" There is nothing in that question that can tell you if a person is fit for football or not. If you think he has issues, don't hire(draft) him and pay him 15 mil. But again, there are corporations paying people millions. Law firms paying hundreds of thousands. Are you really going to put a dollar sign on how assinine you are allowed to be?Because that is what you are saying. The questions are pathetic, plain and simple and a way for an executive to get his rocks off by trying to be inflamatory. If I had my druthers I'd ask for each team to submit a list of questions and have the league approve it. The point isn't to embarrass kids or make them feel bad, it is to get to know them.

there is alot in that question, if the kid flips out and can not contain his composure and emotions. You think players are nto gonna prod this guy on the field? It is no holds barred on the playing field, there is stuff said that makes this question look easy. that is from a former NFL WR. Your trying to make these kids, who are about to make millions upon millions look like victims, and that is assinine...

Again, comparing the real world to sports world is apples to oranges. there are things sports franchises are allowed to do that corporate america is not.

If I am shelling out million upon million of dollars on a player or anything else for that matter, I get to be as assinine as dam well feel like it. Not your money that is being spent, it the franchise and the owner. Are you really that naive to think these questions were nto looked at by the Owner and President of the franchise? Hell that particular question has Parcells writen all over it....

Agree, however you have to know what their limits are,as far as their emotion and mental stability is concerned or you will end up on the front page of ESPN cause you, as a GM, did nto evaluate and ask the tough questions when you had the chance...

HoustonFrog
04-28-2010, 01:46 PM
there is alot in that question, if the kid flips out and can not contain his composure and emotions. You think players are nto gonna prod this guy on the field? It is no holds barred on the playing field, there is stuff said that makes this question look easy. that is from a former NFL WR. Your trying to make these kids, who are baout to make millions upon millions look like victims, and that is assinine...

Again, comparing the real world to sports world is apples to oranges. there are things sports franchises are allowed to do that corporate america is not.

If I am shelling out million upon million of dollars on a player or anything else for that matter, I get to be as assinine as dam well feel like it. Not your money that is being spent, it the franchise and the owner. Are you really that naive to think these questions were nto looked at by the Owner and President of the franchise? Hell that particular question has Parcells writen all over it....

Agree, however you have to know what their limits are,as far as their emotion and mental stability is concerned or you will end up on the front page of ESPN cause you, as a GM, did nto evaluate and ask the tough questions when you had the chance...

Just like you I know a guy that got a sniff in the league. Best friend. He played and coached under Bill Walsh at Stanford. Got a sniff with the 49ers for a SB year but it was more practice squad but he spent a year in that Super Bowl environment playing against those guys. Has coached at big colleges and with the Jaguars in the NFL and is now the head man at Yale. I've talked to him about everything in the book. Sometimes things are done with class and with a clear understanding and sometimes they are not. This is a case of the latter. Just because your buddy says there is crap talking doesn't mean that the question is right. We know there is trash talking. We know some guys pride themselves on it....Ray Lewis. It still has nothing to do with the question. Guys in college talk junk, especially with rivalries. The story on Bryant has been out there for all to see. Asking "is your Mom a prostitute" isn't going to change the story and isn't anything the guy hasn't heard before. It was just a stupid question since there is nothing to suggest that his Mom was ever one. It is your attitude....that the NFL is above the law and so different that has caused so many issues in sports. You do know that corporations have owners, investors, etc and pay out alot of money too...right?Stop acting like sports teams have a special right to treat people like crap. Everyday a caompany decides to take chances on people and spend their own money.

And I never said the kid was a victim. I said he he was unfortunate to have some jackass as him an inappropriate question. You can broach subjects without going too far. Bryant himself said people asked him alot of questions about his past...this is the only one being mentioned.

HOU-TEX
04-28-2010, 01:48 PM
For those that might not have heard this morning. McSlim was on 610 this morning and said Bryant's Mom is actually a lesbian. His exact words were "she was beat on so much by men, she switched to the other side".

JB
04-28-2010, 02:41 PM
This is what Ditka had to say about it:

I think the individual who asked that question, somebody ought to whack him in the head," Ditka said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. "You don't ask that question. If you think you know it, you know. What are you going to confront a young man with that situation for? He probably loves his mother no matter what she is or who she is. Why would somebody do that? I don't understand things like that. Maybe I'm naive or I'm old. I don't understand that. Why? What do you get from asking that question? What's it all about? Every bit of information has to be spread out on the table now? Is that it? Everybody's dirty linen has to be out? I disagree with that. I'm sorry."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/28/mike-ditka-sounds-off-on-jeff-ireland-question-to-dez-bryant/

El Tejano
04-28-2010, 03:08 PM
You know what? Forget that GM, let's talk about Bryant. That's the real story here. Here he is being questioned about his off field issues before the draft, he gets asked a stupid and ignorant question and he handles himself way better than anyone here would've thought or how they themselves would've.

We throw trash on players who get blasted by the media by the way they answer questions so we need to give props where props are due. Bryant handled all that like a pro! Sucked it in no matter how mad it made him, and answered the questions down to the entire interview and left.

StarStruck
04-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Thank you Mr. Ditka. For some reason Ireland felt justified in humiliating and showing Bryant what little respect he had by trying to degrade him. Most folks have unconditional love for their mother regardless of the circumstances.

I believe that some lines questions in "professional" sports could be different from other high income positions. However, I still don't think that the "profession" has sunk so low as for a young man, already nervous about meeting a General Manager in the league that he dreams of becoming a part of, dresses the part of a business man, practices being professional in his interview, only for the GM to ask is your mama a ho?

Bryant isn't responsible for the choices that his mother made, good, bad or ugly, and apparently if there were wounds he seemed to have handled them well for 21 years until Ireland decided throw some salt to judge how well he could handle the pain.

JB
04-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Thank you Mr. Ditka. For some reason Ireland felt justified in humiliating and showing Bryant what little respect he had by trying to degrade him. Most folks have unconditional love for their mother regardless of the circumstances.

I believe that some lines questions in "professional" sports could be different from other high income positions. However, I still don't think that the "profession" has sunk so low as for a young man, already nervous about meeting a General Manager in the league that he dreams of becoming a part of, dresses the part of a business man, practices being professional in his interview, only for the GM to ask is your mama a ho?

Bryant isn't responsible for the choices that his mother made, good, bad or ugly, and apparently if there were wounds he seemed to have handled them well for 21 years until Ireland decided throw some salt to judge how well he could handle the pain.

And it is really sad that some people don't get this.

awtysst
04-28-2010, 03:54 PM
I think you nailed the real reason this is a good question to ask. As we have seen with Commish Goodell, the Personal Conduct Code is Extremely important. As we saw with the Roethlisberger situation, you do not need to be charged with a crime in order for the Commish to suspend you. In Commish Goodell's eyes, a history of bad judgment is sufficient for suspension.

Now, we know that Dez was suspended for bad judgment in the NCAA. We know that all players can be treated horribly by opposing fans when they are off the field. I would like to think the Dolphins GM wanted to see how would this guy react to a fan going after a sensitive topic. Short of staging an incident, how else can you see how a kid would react in that situation?

The problem I have with the Dolphins GM, is he did not immediately explain the purpose of the question. If he really was testing Dez, he should have let him know right away. This way, he comes across as a slimy person that needed to make a half hearted apology.

WWJD
04-28-2010, 03:58 PM

What a thoughtful post...you are one wise lady.

Goldensilence
04-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Shouldn't the personal conduct policy apply to front offices as well?

Texecutioner
04-28-2010, 04:04 PM

Finally someone who gets it. People act like there haven't been tons and tons of wasted draft picks in the first round due to immaturity and off the field problems from guys who can't handle tough questions like that and can't handle unexpected things being said to them to where they end up going off and getting arrested or suspended. Especially at the WR position where there have been a ton of busts from the first round (Mike Williams, Braylen Edwards, Charles Rodgers, and etc.) who were immature and didn't know how to carry themselves and respond to adverse situations.

There was nothing wrong with that question at all. Any employer who is about to invest Millions of dollars into you and make you the face of their franchise has ever right to know anything they want to know about you or your upbringing and how you might respond to things that aren't expected.

These guys are adults and not children. Just about any company in North America would want to know about a guy's adversity and upbringing if that employer was aware or at least heard that the player had been around a ton of drugs and prostitution by his own mother growing up. Why wouldn't a potential employer want to know how that might have effected that person and how they bounced back from that?

Oh and let's not forget about the fact that the player that was just asked the question was just kicked out of college football by the NCAA and hurt his team's chances by not being around when they needed him on the field. Hell the guy's already got a checkered history regarding suspensions and not being able to play due to poor decisions. Ireland was doing his job exactly how he should have and if I were the Dolphins owner I'd be glad that I had a guy who was looking out for my investments.

Hookem Horns
04-28-2010, 04:10 PM
What I want to know is if Dez Bryant's mom is NOT a prostitute then why was he drafted by the Dallas Cowboys? That is out of character for them.

Goldensilence
04-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Finally someone who gets it. People act like there haven't been tons and tons of wasted draft picks in the first round due to immaturity and off the field problems from guys who can't handle tough questions like that and can't handle unexpected things being said to them to where they end up going off and getting arrested or suspended. Especially at the WR position where there have been a ton of busts from the first round (Mike Williams, Braylen Edwards, Charles Rodgers, and etc.) who were immature and didn't know how to carry themselves and respond to adverse situations.

There was nothing wrong with that question at all. Any employer who is about to invest Millions of dollars into you and make you the face of their franchise has ever right to know anything they want to know about you or your upbringing and how you might respond to things that aren't expected.

These guys are adults and not children. Just about any company in North America would want to know about a guy's adversity and upbringing if that employer was aware or at least heard that the player had been around a ton of drugs and prostitution by his own mother growing up. Why wouldn't a potential employer want to know how that might have effected that person and how they bounced back from that?

Oh and let's not forget about the fact that the player that was just asked the question was just kicked out of college football by the NCAA and hurt his team's chances by not being around when they needed him on the field. Hell the guy's already got a checkered history regarding suspensions and not being able to play due to poor decisions. Ireland was doing his job exactly how he should have and if I were the Dolphins owner I'd be glad that I had a guy who was looking out for my investments.

Ok so if you were in an interview with a company and they ask you if your mom was a prostitute. You'd have no problem with the question? You'd have no problem that the question has no relevance to your work ethic, your accomplishments, your past job performance, or anything work related?

As for Dez Bryants "checkered" past. The suspension was his first and only suspension. He hasn't had a history of drug problems. No DUI or public intoxication. No Pacman Jones Posse. There hasn't been any big grumblings about his work ethic on the field.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/042010dnspotaylorcol.3ad5f5a.html

IMO the suspension the NCAA levied was above and beyond what it should've been. Then again, I don't think any suspension should've happened. It's not like he was caught stealing shoes ala Florida State players, not like there was any scandals involving textbooks in like in Alabama ( We drafted one of those players that got suspended, Caldwell), or it' not like he received free money for supposed work ata car dealership like Rhett Bomar at OU.

He was just hanging out with Deion Sanders.

I guess I also find it funny that they had no problem taking Brandon Marshall and his antics, but gave Bryant a hard time about his mom.

Carr Bombed
04-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Umm. Getting upset when someone asks if your mom was a hooker and slept with a ton of guys for money is NOT A CHARACTER FLAW! It's a rational normal reaction and asking "that" question is not a "character test", there's no way to defend that question. And don't tell me about the 15 million dollar contact B.S. Just because you're in position to hand out a 15 million dollar contract that doesn't give you the right to be a ignorant asshole.

Making someone upset by calling their mom a whore IS NOT A CHARACTER TEST and it ISN'T going to uncover any character flaws, because it's a NORMAL reaction to get upset when someone calls your mom a whore. Honestly I would have done alot worse.

Look, I know teams ask tough questions, but this wasn't a "tough question". It was a inappropriate question...a unprofessional question, that crossed the line and it should of never been asked.

I had a member in my family that became a prostitute and everybody in the town knew who she was and what she did. I used to hear about it at school all the time....do you not think Dez Bryant has never been asked that question before or has not been "tested for a character flaw" before (:rolleyes: what a load of crock), umm I'm pretty sure he heard people talking about his mom on a daily basis. Seriously THINK ABOUT IT, if he was going to flip out he WOULD HAVE DONE IT ALREADY.

The fact that he was able to keep his head on straight and make it out of that situation and make something out of himself despite the fact that his mom might have been doing those things and despite the fact that while growing up everybody knew his mom was doing "things" tells me all I need to know about his "character". I don't need some jackass G.M. showing his ass while interviewing a young NFL prospect.

Like I said earlier Roger Goodell needs to put a stop to questions like this, they don't do anything....they aren't character testers at all. These kids are smart enough to know you can't flip out...they've all been coached, their agents hire people TO COACH THEM. So the questions are just going to get more and more off the wall stupid until somebody has to hear their mom being called a whore when all he's trying to do is start a NFL career. Give me a break.

NitroGSXR
04-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Genuine question... What's the difference between a politician's family tree being dragged through the mud by opponents and this?

GuerillaBlack
04-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Dez Bryant was asked if his mom was a prostitute. That was uncalled for. Because of this, I hope he has a great career. Doesn't mean I want the Cowboys to succeed though, because I don't. ;)

HoustonFrog
04-28-2010, 07:58 PM
What I want to know is if Dez Bryant's mom is NOT a prostitute then why was he drafted by the Dallas Cowboys? That is out of character for them.

Disappointing comments

HoustonFrog
04-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Umm. Getting upset when someone asks if your mom was a hooker and slept with a ton of guys for money is NOT A CHARACTER FLAW! It's a rational normal reaction and asking "that" question is not a "character test", there's no way to defend that question. And don't tell me about the 15 million dollar contact B.S. Just because you're in position to hand out a 15 million dollar contract that doesn't give you the right to be a ignorant asshole.

Making someone upset by calling their mom a whore IS NOT A CHARACTER TEST and it ISN'T going to uncover any character flaws, because it's a NORMAL reaction to get upset when someone calls your mom a whore. Honestly I would have done alot worse.

Look, I know teams ask tough questions, but this wasn't a "tough question". It was a inappropriate question...a unprofessional question, that crossed the line and it should of never been asked.

I had a member in my family that became a prostitute and everybody in the town knew who she was and what she did. I used to hear about it at school all the time....do you not think Dez Bryant has never been asked that question before or has not been "tested for a character flaw" before (:rolleyes: what a load of crock), umm I'm pretty sure he heard people talking about his mom on a daily basis. Seriously THINK ABOUT IT, if he was going to flip out he WOULD HAVE DONE IT ALREADY.

The fact that he was able to keep his head on straight and make it out of that situation and make something out of himself despite the fact that his mom might have been doing those things and despite the fact that while growing up everybody knew his mom was doing "things" tells me all I need to know about his "character". I don't need some jackass G.M. showing his ass while interviewing a young NFL prospect.

Like I said earlier Roger Goodell needs to put a stop to questions like this, they don't do anything....they aren't character testers at all. These kids are smart enough to know you can't flip out...they've all been coached, their agents hire people TO COACH THEM. So the questions are just going to get more and more off the wall stupid until somebody has to hear their mom being called a whore when all he's trying to do is start a NFL career. Give me a break.

Repped.

Let's see...Ditka one of the biggest disciplanarians and hard asses in the history of the league thinks it is b.s. yet people here think it is a normal question because a guy, who has never committed a crime or drank or done drugs, was late a few times and hung out with Deion. Nice rationale.

StarStruck
04-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Genuine question... What's the difference between a politician's family tree being dragged through the mud by opponents and this?

There is a difference, but I'm not near my business law book to be specific.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2010, 09:57 PM

I don't think it's ever OK to walk up to someone and ask them if their mother is a prostitute.

For a person seeking public office, they're going to know that this sort of thing is going to come up if there's even a hint of impropriety in their parents' pasts. They know it's coming and they've prepared for it. (Even though I think it's in extremely poor taste regardless of the circumstances.) In a public servant, having a parent of questionable morals like that would be seen as probably opening the would be public servant to possible blackmail attempts and would leave their judgment in question.

But for an athlete? I don't see a any reason to ask this. They can have investigators dig up whatever dirt they can find from someone's home life and they can let that questionable upbringing weigh into their decision on whether to sign/pick a guy or not. But to me, it's despicable to come out and ask a kid this. The only reason I can see to do it is to try to get a rise out of the kid. If you think the kid's got issues, then you've got to expect him to go ballistic when you ask something like that. It speaks well for the kid that he didn't but he shouldn't have been put in that sort of situation during an interview. IMO.

mexican_texan
04-28-2010, 10:00 PM
I don't fault the Dolphins. If I'm going to pay someone millions of dollars, no matter for what job, I need to know that they can perform well under stress and won't allow their emotions to affect their decisions.

Dez Bryant will hear a lot worse on the field.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't fault the Dolphins. If I'm going to pay someone millions of dollars, no matter for what job, I need to know that they can perform well under stress and won't allow their emotions to affect their decisions.

But you're prepared for it on the field.

You're walking into a "business meeting" and you're hoping to make a good impression on a guy that may be your future boss and he asks about your mother being a whore? That has nothing to do with performing well under stress. You're not ready for that. You're not expecting that. That's an ambush.

JB
04-28-2010, 10:25 PM

I will say it once again. If you are going to ask a question like this for the shock factor, then once you see the result you explain yourself. This guy was just a douche bag and if he did not think it was wrong, he would not have apoligized.

GP
04-28-2010, 11:12 PM
How about simply asking Dez Bryant if he would please tell them all about his struggles in life. And, how has he overcome those? What has he learned from those situations? Etc., etc.

I bet you'd get some very good responses. And if you don't, then you ought to know when someone is B.S.'ing and when they are truthful and sincere in their answers about things.

What we have here is a person's desire to try and crush a guy in the interview to get a reaction. It was an ambush, as someone else said. And it was an ambush by someone the player is supposed to WANT to play for.

Everyone talks about the $15 million payday and how hard it is to write that check to someone who might flake out. I say this: How hard is it to accept the $15 million and work your ass off for it, play through pain, avoid getting into trouble now that you're rich, make all the meetings and all the demands for your time on and off the field, all the while knowing that your boss slimed you in the interview?

LOL. Dez Bryant is more of a man than the Dolphins GM.

Hookem Horns
04-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Disappointing comments

Sorry, being a Texans and Giants fan if the opportunity comes up to poke fun at the Cowboys I am taking it. ;)

The Pencil Neck
04-29-2010, 12:44 AM
I mean, if someone asked ME this... There is no way in hell I would work for this person. I don't care how much money the guy was thinking about offering me and whether no one is going to offer me as much. I would tell him to go to hell and I'd stand up and walk out.

If this guy is that much of a jerk, then he's going to do other things much, much worse than asking me about my mother's sexual history. Things that I don't want to have any part of. This is not a person I would work for.

b0ng
04-29-2010, 12:52 AM
I would let any one of you "people" ask me about my mothers whorish ways if I knew there was 15million bucks coming afterwords. And hey, you don't even have to apologize to me!

People are getting upset that a prospect for the game of football could have possibly gotten his feelings hurt by some words.

I wonder who asked Ray Lewis about his mother when he was going to be drafted.

HoustonFrog
04-29-2010, 06:52 AM
Thank God the NFLPA gets it more than some here

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5143497

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said Wednesday the treatment of Dallas Cowboys first-round pick Dez Bryant and other prospective draft picks needs to be conducted in a professional manner......

"We need to make sure the men of this league are treated as businessmen," Smith said in a statement. "During interviews, our players and prospective players should never be subjected to discrimination or degradation stemming from the biases or misconceptions held by team personnel. NFL teams cannot have the free reign to ask questions during the interview process which can be categorized as stereotyping or which may bring a personal insult to any player as a man."

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 08:24 AM
I mean, if someone asked ME this... There is no way in hell I would work for this person. I don't care how much money the guy was thinking about offering me and whether no one is going to offer me as much. I would tell him to go to hell and I'd stand up and walk out.

If this guy is that much of a jerk, then he's going to do other things much, much worse than asking me about my mother's sexual history. Things that I don't want to have any part of. This is not a person I would work for.

Ok step down from your moral high horse and come back to reality. No freaking way you would get up and walk out of a room and leave 15 million dollars on the table.

You would do what 98% of the people in America would do, sit there, take the questioning and go cash your 15 million dollar check.

It is so easy for you or anybody else to say cause you have never been in that situation so please just stop...

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 08:30 AM
How about simply asking Dez Bryant if he would please tell them all about his struggles in life. And, how has he overcome those? What has he learned from those situations? Etc., etc.

I bet you'd get some very good responses. And if you don't, then you ought to know when someone is B.S.'ing and when they are truthful and sincere in their answers about things.

What we have here is a person's desire to try and crush a guy in the interview to get a reaction. It was an ambush, as someone else said. And it was an ambush by someone the player is supposed to WANT to play for.

Everyone talks about the $15 million payday and how hard it is to write that check to someone who might flake out. I say this: How hard is it to accept the $15 million and work your ass off for it, play through pain, avoid getting into trouble now that you're rich, make all the meetings and all the demands for your time on and off the field, all the while knowing that your boss slimed you in the interview?

LOL. Dez Bryant is more of a man than the Dolphins GM.

Not hard at all, give me 15 million dollars you can ask every freaking question in the book because at days end, they are just questions and nothing more. GM wants to know if my mother was a prostitute, my sister was in porn, my brother likes men and if my daddy is a alcoholic....

I would look at him, smile and say the following....NO,NO,NO,YES
anything else you would like to know?

Then calmly get up, cash my check if/when they drafted me and go play ball. Like I said 98% of America would do the same thing....

Maybe I am just thicker skinned than most but I don't sweat the petty things and I don't pet sweaty thing....

WWJD
04-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Thank God the NFLPA gets it more than some here

And this is good. There is no reason for any young man to have to submit to those type of questions for any job making any sum of money.

Blake
04-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Not hard at all, give me 15 million dollars you can ask every freaking question in the book because at days end, they are just questions and nothing more. GM wants to know if my mother was a prostitute, my sister was in porn, my brother likes men and if my daddy is a alcoholic....

Then calmly get up, cash my check if/when they drafted me and go play ball. Like I said 98% of America would do the same thing....

Maybe I am just thicker skinned than most but I don't sweat the petty things and I don't pet sweaty thing....

I agree with your line of thinking, but I also think Dez is a horse of a different color and came from a broken house and bad circumstances which changes everything.

You and I who had normal upbringings, and our mom's who werent whores, sure you can ask that, and I can say no. But if your mom was a whore when you were growing up, that might really have affected you mentally, you might feel differently.

And to top it off the phins GM asked him the question, dez calmly answered the question and they STILL didnt draft him. So just because you were Mr. Nice and took his bullshit doesnt mean he is going to cut you a check.

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Ok so if you were in an interview with a company and they ask you if your mom was a prostitute. You'd have no problem with the question? You'd have no problem that the question has no relevance to your work ethic, your accomplishments, your past job performance, or anything work related?

As for Dez Bryants "checkered" past. The suspension was his first and only suspension. He hasn't had a history of drug problems. No DUI or public intoxication. No Pacman Jones Posse. There hasn't been any big grumblings about his work ethic on the field.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/042010dnspotaylorcol.3ad5f5a.html

IMO the suspension the NCAA levied was above and beyond what it should've been. Then again, I don't think any suspension should've happened. It's not like he was caught stealing shoes ala Florida State players, not like there was any scandals involving textbooks in like in Alabama ( We drafted one of those players that got suspended, Caldwell), or it' not like he received free money for supposed work ata car dealership like Rhett Bomar at OU.

I guess I also find it funny that they had no problem taking Brandon Marshall and his antics, but gave Bryant a hard time about his mom.

Not one bit. Know why? I am not emotionally compromised. If I applied to a beer factory and they asked me if any member of my family was an alcoholic and if that would effect my work performance? Even though THAT question is absolutely none of their business, I would answer honestly and calmly because I know who I am and I know what my father is. I wouldn't get all bent, go to the press and try and out the company, for what? If a GM wants to prod and probe into my personal life a little, so be it. I am thick skinned enough not to get all bent about stuff like that. But that is me....

At the end of the day, it is a question, an unmoral one, but a question none the less. That question is not going to define me or my work ethic and the question that was asked of Bryant isn't going to define him either. It was a question asked to most likely test his emotions. He passed, move on.

Like I have ALWAYS said, I never said it was right, I just understand why it was asked.

Blake
04-29-2010, 09:18 AM
If I applied to a beer factory

Sounds like a sweet gig! lol

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 09:24 AM
I agree with your line of thinking, but I also think Dez is a horse of a different color and came from a broken house and bad circumstances which changes everything.

You and I who had normal upbringings, and our mom's who werent whores, sure you can ask that, and I can say no. But if your mom was a whore when you were growing up, that might really have affected you mentally, you might feel differently.

And to top it off the phins GM asked him the question, dez calmly answered the question and they STILL didnt draft him. So just because you were Mr. Nice and took his bullshit doesnt mean he is going to cut you a check.

Brother, I didn't have a normal up bringing. I came from a very dysfunctional family, more than what Bryant had. I should be so lucky if the only problem in my family was my mother being a prostitute, but that is another story for a different day...

To answer your question, that was my point. If he is messed up emotionally by this, how is he going to handle himself with 15+ million dollars in the bank and basically free reign of the world? How is he going to handle when a TMZ or a player on the field throws this in his face. That is all I was saying about the question. I know it was morally wrong and unprofessional and in the "real world" a question like that may never come up, but in a world where handing 15 million dollars to a 21 year old kid that has yet to prove himself on a NFL field, I can understand the reasoning behind the question, as wrong as it was...

And you are correct, it doesn't mean jack because they haven't drafted you but I think the way he handled the question may have shot him up on the draft board. The Fins may have had him next on their list before the Cowboys took him. Don;t know, just speculating...

HoustonFrog
04-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Not one bit. Know why? I am not emotionally compromised. If I applied to a beer factory and they asked me if any member of my family was an alcoholic and if that would effect my work performance? Even though THAT question is absolutely none of their business, I would answer honestly and calmly because I know who I am and I know what my father is. I wouldn't get all bent, go to the press and try and out the company, for what? If a GM wants to prod and probe into my personal life a little, so be it. I am thick skinned enough not to get all bent about stuff like that. But that is me....

At the end of the day, it is a question, an unmoral one, but a question none the less. That question is not going to define me or my work ethic and the question that was asked of Bryant isn't going to define him either. It was a question asked to most likely test his emotions. He passed, move on.

Like I have ALWAYS said, I never said it was right, I just understand why it was asked.

That is because beer companies and alcoholism go hand and hand. Many beer comapnies let you test the goods. If you have alcoholism in your family then there is a chance you could be trouble. The question would still be illegal but it would make sense. Playing football and your mom being a whore have nothing in common.

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Sounds like a sweet gig! lol

Right! I think that is the only job in the world that I wouldn't my if the boss it drove me to drink....:doot:

GP
04-29-2010, 09:33 AM

I think you have the stats backwards.

Judging from the responses in THIS thread, I'd say 98% wouldn't be as cool with the whore question as the 2% on here who say they would.

Without accusing you in an outright manner, I wonder if this is an issue of worshipping money. The idea that a person has a price, and so anything is in play if we're talking about a potential $15 million payday.

You say it's a petty thing. I disagree, and so do 98% of the people posting here. A small sample size? Yes. But a good indicator of how this issue is trending.

kastofsna
04-29-2010, 09:49 AM
sounds like people are a bunch of overly-emotional high-strung doofuses, then. it's a simple question, get over it, jesus.

Blake
04-29-2010, 09:54 AM
sounds like people are a bunch of overly-emotional high-strung doofuses, then. it's a simple question, get over it, jesus.

Obviously its not just a simple question. But this is the kind of response I would expect from a biased Dolphins fan.

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 10:03 AM
That is because beer companies and alcoholism go hand and hand. Many beer comapnies let you test the goods. If you have alcoholism in your family then there is a chance you could be trouble. The question would still be illegal but it would make sense. Playing football and your mom being a whore have nothing in common.

Point taken but alcoholism is not hereditary, it is not a trait passed through the genes, so why would I be trouble?

Playing football is also about emotions and how you handle those emotions on and off the field. If a player is emotionally compromised, and Bryant may or may not be, how is that player going to handle himself when a reporter from say New York, and we all know what jackasses they are, pushes and pushes about his mother? Reporters have not filters, they rarely have limits on what questions can and cannot be asked.

That was my whole point was that though the question was morally and professionally wrong, and it was no doubt, I understand why GMs would go to that length and ask those questions because allot of money is at stake and giving money to a 21 year old kid that might do something to warrant suspension and such, is not good business...

Blake
04-29-2010, 10:12 AM
Point taken but alcoholism is not hereditary, it is not a trait passed through the genes, so why would I be trouble?

You are dead wrong. I am not saying you will be an alcoholic because your mom or dad was, but that you do have a much higher chance of becoming addicted.
Researchers Identify Alcoholism Gene

Alcohol Addiction, High Anxiety Linked to Same Gene

May 26, 2004 -- A new study links a gene to alcohol addiction (http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/alcohol-abuse/tc/alcohol-and-drug-problems-topic-overview) -- backing up a long-recognized pattern showing that alcoholism (http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/tc/Alcohol-Abuse-and-Dependence-Topic-Overview) runs in families.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20040526/researchers-identify-alcoholism-gene

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/alerts/l/blnaa18.htm

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 10:20 AM
You are dead wrong. I am not saying you will be an alcoholic because your mom or dad was, but that you do have a much higher chance of becoming addicted.
Researchers Identify Alcoholism Gene

Alcohol Addiction, High Anxiety Linked to Same Gene

May 26, 2004 -- A new study links a gene to alcohol addiction (http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/alcohol-abuse/tc/alcohol-and-drug-problems-topic-overview) -- backing up a long-recognized pattern showing that alcoholism (http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/tc/Alcohol-Abuse-and-Dependence-Topic-Overview) runs in families.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20040526/researchers-identify-alcoholism-gene

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/alerts/l/blnaa18.htm

Man, F that! You are an alcoholic cause you choose to be. I will NEVER be an alcoholic because I choose NOT to put a bottle to my mouth over and over. Every alcoholic that ever lived and died had a choice and made that choice when they took their first sip and they will die by that choice. Just like drug addicts made the choice to put a needle in their arm. It is the choices in life that will make you or break you. Don't ever let anybody tell you different.

please let's not start with this BS and keep the football talk going...Save this for another thread...

Blake
04-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Man, F that! You are an alcoholic cause you choose to be. I will NEVER be an alcoholic because I choose NOT to put a bottle to my mouth over and over. Every alcoholic that ever lived and died had a choice and made that choice when they took their first sip and they will die by that choice. Just like drug addicts made the choice to put a needle in their arm. It is the choices in life that will make you or break you. Don't ever let anybody tell you different.

please let's not start with this BS and keep the football talk going...Save this for another thread...

Hey you are the one who brough Alcoholism into the conversation. But ok we will move past that.

I just want to hear ONE GOOD reason why the Dolphin's GM would need to know or verify that Dez's mom is a prostitute.

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Hey you are the one who brough Alcoholism into the conversation. But ok we will move past that.

I just want to hear ONE GOOD reason why the Dolphin's GM would need to know or verify that Dez's mom is a prostitute.

just don't want this thread to turn into an Oprah moment...

Playing football is also about emotions and how you handle those emotions on and off the field. If a player is emotionally compromised, and Bryant may or may not be, how is that player going to handle himself when a reporter from say New York, and we all know what jackasses they are, pushes and pushes about his mother, since it is so known now? Reporters have not filters, they rarely have limits on what questions can and cannot be asked.

If he were to act out, and I bet dollars to donuts this will be the FIRST question the New York Press will ask when the Cowboys play the Giants, and get himself suspended, hypothetically, put yourself in a GMs shoes, wouldn't you be mad at yourself for not investigating further into this players emotions to maybe see if this was a sore subject and help him handle it in public.Like I said, media has no filter or limits...

you don't think that the GM that took Ryan Leaf wishes he investigated his emotional and mental stability more before the draft, not saying he did or did not but clearly the kid had issues. Bryant has never shown that kind of emotion, maybe because he is stable, in which I think so, or maybe nobody ever hit that button. Dunno, would just hate to see this kid go bad because he is emotionally unstable due to a childhood he had no control over and be added to a list of unstable players in the NFL...

As a GM, before I give millions of dollars my franchise my never see again to any player coming in, I want to know those answers...I do not condone the action, but I understand the reasoning behind it...

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 10:50 AM

He has NEVER faced what he is about to face in the NFL from the media. We're not talking about some pimple faced kid writing for the school paper. We are talking New York, Philadelphia, Washington, etc. Reporters that will bring up stuff on you, you didn't even know existed and now that THIS is out there, it is ammunition for places like that. those outlets have no limits. they want the story that nobody has, even if it means pushing buttons and talking about a very sore subject to get it...

I am quite sure it has come up, but I bet it hasn't been addressed like it might be in those cities...

FirstTexansFan
04-29-2010, 10:51 AM

His regular girl is in for treatments, and he needs a backup? :)

The Pencil Neck
04-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Ok step down from your moral high horse and come back to reality. No freaking way you would get up and walk out of a room and leave 15 million dollars on the table.

You would do what 98% of the people in America would do, sit there, take the questioning and go cash your 15 million dollar check.

It is so easy for you or anybody else to say cause you have never been in that situation so please just stop...

The thing here is that you're acting like this guy's choice here is 15 million or go live on the streets. And that's bullshit. The choice here is to get 15 mil or 10 mil. The choice here is do you get selected in the teens or the twenties. Do you go to a team where you're not going to like the FO or do you go to a team where they may not be such assholes.

I've been in plenty of situations where I could have made more much money in situations I didn't like and I've turned them down and walked away. And I'm still making a lot of money. You only need so much money to be happy. Anything over that doesn't make you any happier.

WWJD
04-29-2010, 11:06 AM
I would bet that Rick Smith has never asked any kid a question like this and I'm sure he's seen all kinds of guys from all sorts of backgrounds.

JB
04-29-2010, 11:15 AM
I would bet that Rick Smith has never asked any kid a question like this and I'm sure he's seen all kinds of guys from all sorts of backgrounds.

If even Ditka thinks this was over the line, I'm pretty sure at least 30 GM's do also. I can just imagine what McNair would say if someone that worked for him pulled this BS.

Blake
04-29-2010, 11:29 AM

His regular girl is in for treatments, and he needs a backup? :)

Lol good one. I am still waiting on that 1 GOOD reason from BullNation. You know, something that has to deal with football, and being in the NFL.

Texecutioner
04-29-2010, 12:16 PM

I'd have not problem at all with that especially if I knew that there were rumors circulating around the media that my mom was a drug dealer and a prostitute. Common sense would tell me that every GM and scout is wondering about that and how it effected my life. If this was for a football career and something that I had worked my entire life towards, I'd answer any question they threw at me.

Many of you seem to forget how many owners have got completely screwed out of their first round investments with these players. I literally find it pretty amazing that so many people have such a soft mentality about this and expect these "MEN" to be treated like Junior High children when they're about to have every temptation and distraction you could think of thrown at them. At the WR position there are so many of these talented guys that end up being busts more than any other position. MIke WIlliams, Charles Rodgers, Braylen Edwards, Roy Williams, and so many more. Then you guys act like you forget about guys like Pac Man Jones and Lawrence Phillips types of guys who can't control themselves any more than a wild animal at the zoo. Shoot, we're talking about some of the dumbest athletes in the entire world here. Hell, usually like 2 or 3 potential first rounders every year fail a freaking drug test at the combine. These guys aren't even smart enough to stay clean before the most important interviews of their lives, and you guys don't expect these team owners to due their extra dilligence now days when they're cutting huge signing bonus checks and making these guys the face of their franchise? Please, they have every right to find out what these guys are about.

You may not think that what Bryant did in college was a big deal, but it was a big deal. He got kicked out of college football for god's sake. On the forefront it may not have been a violent crime or anything major, but it was still an offense that got him kicked out of college football and immediately ruined any chances his team had at having the big season that they expected to have. OSU lost their star player in what was supposed to be his final big season. Regardless of what you think about it, he hurt his team by that and he has already shown the ability to make poor decisions that effected his team. So yes, he should looked at a lot harder by teams who are making a big investment in a player like that and obviously he was, because that's why he dropped almost out of the entire first round when he should have been a top 10 pick with his talent.

WWJD
04-29-2010, 12:27 PM
And again the question that was asked of him had absolutely NOTHING to do with his football ability or playing. Nothing. If he pulled an Albert Haynesworth in college and cleated somebody's face then yea you ask him what the heck is wrong with you? Asking him about his mother? Yea that has a whole lot to do with his ability to catch a slant pass.

Like I said bet Rick Smith has never ever asked a guy these type of questions.

Goldensilence
04-29-2010, 12:35 PM
I'd have not problem at all with that especially if I knew that there were rumors circulating around the media that my mom was a drug dealer and a prostitute. Common sense would tell me that every GM and scout is wondering about that and how it effected my life. If this was for a football career and something that I had worked my entire life towards, I'd answer any question they threw at me.

Many of you seem to forget how many owners have got completely screwed out of their first round investments with these players. I literally find it pretty amazing that so many people have such a soft mentality about this and expect these "MEN" to be treated like Junior High children when they're about to have every temptation and distraction you could think of thrown at them. At the WR position there are so many of these talented guys that end up being busts more than any other position. MIke WIlliams, Charles Rodgers, Braylen Edwards, Roy Williams, and so many more. Then you guys act like you forget about guys like Pac Man Jones and Lawrence Phillips types of guys who can't control themselves any more than a wild animal at the zoo. Shoot, we're talking about some of the dumbest athletes in the entire world here. Hell, usually like 2 or 3 potential first rounders every year fail a freaking drug test at the combine. These guys aren't even smart enough to stay clean before the most important interviews of their lives, and you guys don't expect these team owners to due their extra dilligence now days when they're cutting huge signing bonus checks and making these guys the face of their franchise? Please, they have every right to find out what these guys are about.

You may not think that what Bryant did in college was a big deal, but it was a big deal. He got kicked out of college football for god's sake. On the forefront it may not have been a violent crime or anything major, but it was still an offense that got him kicked out of college football and immediately ruined any chances his team had at having the big season that they expected to have. OSU lost their star player in what was supposed to be his final big season. Regardless of what you think about it, he hurt his team by that and he has already shown the ability to make poor decisions that effected his team. So yes, he should looked at a lot harder by teams who are making a big investment in a player like that and obviously he was, because that's why he dropped almost out of the entire first round when he should have been a top 10 pick with his talent.

I just don't see the correlation. The guy obviously has been through a lot, has bounced around as a young man, knew what he had to do to get into college and did, it and was doing fine in college until the NCAA decided to throw a hissy fit about him hanging out with Deion Sanders.

Should he have lied about it? No, but I understand WHY he did. Should he have been suspended an entire season for it? Hell no. you're screaming common sense on one end but, did the NCAA show it on in the suspension?

Again just don't see the correlation of his mother's activities with his character, his work ethic on the field, his production playing at OSU, or even his off the field activities. If you want to KNOW his character, fine. It's all out there on the table.

If his mom was his agent, or was going to play or work for the Dolphins and he was listed as a reference, yeah I might see some relevance.

Just because there's 10-15 million on the table doesn't give anyone the right to ask such an asshole question. But, then again I guess some one in this thread have already outed themselves on their principles and dignity having a price.

Congrats Bullnation.

Other thing I have to ask the people that seem ok with this question or line of questioning. How would you feel if Rick Smith asked it?

JB
04-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Other thing I have to ask the people that seem ok with this question or line of questioning. How would you feel if Rick Smith asked it?

And how would McNair feel about it?

Texecutioner
04-29-2010, 12:59 PM

I wouldn't be surprised considering the fact that the Texans want choir boys playing for this franchise and if he did, I'd have no problem with it what so ever. That would show that he's doing everything possible to make sure that we're not drafting player who can't control his emotions and can display stable responses to tough questions that he's not expecting.

Like Bullnation pointed out earlier, these athletes haven't experienced jack like they will shortly enough when the NY and Philly media and ESPN (TMZ) are baiting them with all sorts of ridiculous questions just to see them go off the handle or some loony drunk fan in the first row's calling his mom a hoe just to get him unfocused. Or hell, ask Hines Ward the amounts of racial crap he's heard for years from opposing players on the field. The last thing some team wants is a player that's going to start piling up tons of penalties from personal fouls in games or try to pop someone in the stands because they can't control their emotions when someone's baiting them.

GlassHalfFull
04-29-2010, 01:25 PM
I think it interesting to see the diverse attitudes in this thread. I have been following it without commenting for several days.

I am fully on the side of those who think this is an appalling question, and that it had no place in an interview. Quite frankly, I think it showed incredibly poor decision making on the part of the GM and I am convinced he only bothered to apologize because it made the press. I hope he may have learned a lesson from this, but I doubt the ability of someone with such poor judgement to do so.

There, having stated unequivocally what side of this debate I stand on, I would think it interesting to see the breakdown of age and gender of the people who approve/disapprove of the question.

My unscientific and not very careful perusal of the thread leads me to believe that the females fall on the side of disapproval. The males that approve seem to be of the younger generation. No idea if this is accurate or says anything, just thought it worth remarking on.

WWJD
04-29-2010, 01:26 PM
One thing not mentioned in any of these posts is that most of these guys come from colleges that play in front of larger college crowds than they will in the NFL and nobody is going to tell me that they don't get cussed at from the fans in the stands or harrassed going to the locker room. Wasn't it the OSU coach that went off on the press for something somebody wrote about one of his players? Those players have been exposed to the horrible media and I'm absolutely sure they've gotten it from the fans in the stands.

Please. I'm not buying that that question was some sort of maturity test.

HOU-TEX
04-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Considering what these teams are about to pay these young men, I have no problem with the questions asked. He shouldn't of apologized

I will say it once again. If you are going to ask a question like this for the shock factor, then once you see the result you explain yourself. This guy was just a douche bag and if he did not think it was wrong, he would not have apoligized.

Man, I can tell I was in a bad mood. HOU-TEX, you're an asshole!

I'd like to change my opinion similar to that of JB's. I think it's obvious teams want to try and get a rise out of players to get a sense of their personalities and what not, but like JB mentioned, at least let the dude know what it was all about before he walks out of your room.

JB
04-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Man, I can tell I was in a bad mood. HOU-TEX, you're an asshole!

I'd like to change my opinion similar to that of JB's. I think it's obvious teams want to try and get a rise out of players to get a sense of their personalities and what not, but like JB mentioned, at least let the dude know what it was all about before he walks out of your room.

Exactly!

HoustonFrog
04-29-2010, 01:38 PM
One thing not mentioned in any of these posts is that most of these guys come from colleges that play in front of larger college crowds than they will in the NFL and nobody is going to tell me that they don't get cussed at from the fans in the stands or harrassed going to the locker room. Wasn't it the OSU coach that went off on the press for something somebody wrote about one of his players? Those players have been exposed to the horrible media and I'm absolutely sure they've gotten it from the fans in the stands.

Please. I'm not buying that that question was some sort of maturity test.

Great point and one I kind of touched on earlier when I mentioned that these guys already heard talk when they played rivalry games. People are acting like these guys played in a bubble and now big, scary men will say mean things. The guy grew up in a bad sitaution. He has overcome. Saying that an idiotic question is somehow preparing him for the NFL is one of the biggest reaches I have ever seen. College crowds don't have security taking down signs all the time like some NFL stadiums. These guys got harassed all the time in rivalry games. I'm sure the guy has heard it on the streets too when he was younger...much, much worse than the NFL. It amazes me that Ditka and the NFLPA have mentioned professionalism and how this standard was never and is never acceptable but some still think that somehow this toughened the kid up. It seems only one dumbass GM thought that.

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I just don't see the correlation. The guy obviously has been through a lot, has bounced around as a young man, knew what he had to do to get into college and did, it and was doing fine in college until the NCAA decided to throw a hissy fit about him hanging out with Deion Sanders.

Should he have lied about it? No, but I understand WHY he did. Should he have been suspended an entire season for it? Hell no. you're screaming common sense on one end but, did the NCAA show it on in the suspension?

Again just don't see the correlation of his mother's activities with his character, his work ethic on the field, his production playing at OSU, or even his off the field activities. If you want to KNOW his character, fine. It's all out there on the table.

If his mom was his agent, or was going to play or work for the Dolphins and he was listed as a reference, yeah I might see some relevance.

Just because there's 10-15 million on the table doesn't give anyone the right to ask such an asshole question. But, then again I guess some one in this thread have already outed themselves on their principles and dignity having a price.

Congrats Bullnation.

At least I am honest and not hiding behind some false sense of pride, like allot of you are. No F'ING way are you or anybody on this board gonna turn away 10-15 million dollars down when they had nothing to begin with because of a question. GET THE F OUTTA HERE!

If you say, "I WOULD" then you are just a liar and unrealistic.....

JB
04-29-2010, 01:45 PM
At least I am honest and not hiding behind some false sense of pride, like allot of you are. No F'ING way are you or anybody on this board gonna turn away 10-15 million dollars down when they had nothing to begin with because of a question. GET THE F OUTTA HERE!

Why do you keep saying that 10-15 million was at stake?
Are you saying that if he got offended by this question he would not have got drafted in the 1st? Or at all?

HoustonFrog
04-29-2010, 01:48 PM

First of all no one is faking anything. Is Ditka faking...the NFLPA? A large majority here think the question was over the line. I also wish you would stop with the 15 million talk. It is b.s. The guy was getting paid from someone. ONE team wasn't making or breaking him. ONE team asked an assinine question. He even said other teams asked about his past but not like Ireland. He wasn't turning down 15 million. He handled the question well. At least one of them was professional. Stop with same tired line. He wasn't turning down anything and most people with any sense of dignity would have been offended in the situation. He had 32 chances to get hired, this wasn't his one chance to get paid.

Are you saying that if he got offended by this question he would not have got drafted in the 1st? Or at all?

Just beat me to it. Great minds...

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 01:54 PM
The thing here is that you're acting like this guy's choice here is 15 million or go live on the streets. And that's bullshit. The choice here is to get 15 mil or 10 mil. The choice here is do you get selected in the teens or the twenties. Do you go to a team where you're not going to like the FO or do you go to a team where they may not be such assholes.

I've been in plenty of situations where I could have made more much money in situations I didn't like and I've turned them down and walked away. And I'm still making a lot of money. You only need so much money to be happy. Anything over that doesn't make you any happier.

Problem there is, players do not have a choice in the matter and yes where you get selected in the draft is everything. Sure, ok you walked away from more money, was it millions? The difference to these players in 5 million dollars is a hell of allot, probably more than that. Dolphins had the 11th and traded down, Cowboys picked 23, that is 12 spots back. That is maybe 5-7 million dollar difference. Won't know until contracts are signed.

I am more than sure Bryant will he happy in Dallas, he will be a star. I am more than sure he would have been happy in Miami, even with a asshole GM that ask personal and over the line questions. Don't tell me though that Bryant didn't want to go 11 if the Dolphins kept the pick rather 23rd and loose out on millions, that is just ridonkulous....

Blake
04-29-2010, 01:55 PM
why do you keep saying that 10-15 million was at stake?

+1.

WWJD

You presume way too much.

GlassHalfFull

Nice.

The question in my mind is was the question appropriate? My answer is no, it was not only inappropriate, but exceedingly tasteless and said more about the character of the questioner than the questionee.

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 01:59 PM

Bradford is going to get 35+ million for the 1st pick. 15 would be about mid round...

No that was the number thrown out there for the guaranteed money for the 11th pick. It is just an estimate, I guess they expect Matthews to sign for that much and had the Dolphins kept the pick and draft Bryant, that is possibly the amount he would have gotten up front, could be more or less...

no not all or even in the first. He evidently showed no emotion at all, in which the Dolphins didn't draft him at all. So the asshole GM did it for nothing, I get that.

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 02:08 PM
First of all no one is faking anything. Is Ditka faking...the NFLPA? A large majority here think the question was over the line. I also wish you would stop with the 15 million talk. It is b.s. The guy was getting paid from someone. ONE team wasn't making or breaking him. ONE team asked an assinine question. He even said other teams asked about his past but not like Ireland. He wasn't turning down 15 million. He handled the question well. At least one of them was professional. Stop with same tired line. He wasn't turning down anything and most people with any sense of dignity would have been offended in the situation. He had 32 chances to get hired, this wasn't his one chance to get paid.

Just beat me to it. Great minds...

first off, you got your posted alllllll f'ed up.....

NOBODY said Bryant was turning down 15 million. NOBODY! That statement was sent to those on this board that said no amount of money would make them work for a boss, in the real world that was an asshole like this GM and I say BS. I posed question saying if they are offering you 15 million, you are not gonna walk away because of a question. Hell if they are offering you 100-200k, you are not walking away.

I said the GM probably asked the question, to get an emotional response, BEFORE giving a player 15 million, which is the estimate for that draft pick in the 11th, had they kept the pick and Drafted Bryant. I Never said he wasn't getting paid nor was he not going in the first round. Stop reading what isn't there...

Never said it was his one chance, see yall are getting way off track. As for Ditka and NFLPA, doesn't really matter what they say cause I wasn't ever talking about them faking it, was talking about those here on this board that act like they have higher morals and would walk away from a better life...

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Nice.

The question in my mind is was the question appropriate? My answer is no, it was not only inappropriate, but exceedingly tasteless and said more about the character of the questioner than the questionee.

Right, it was totally out of line. Did it hurt Bryant's draft spot, dunno, Miami traded down and never drafted him. Don;t see how it would though since the kid did answer under control and still went in the first...

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 02:15 PM
You presume way too much.

do I? You ever been offered a huge amount of cash and walked away because of a question or the hiring boss was an ass? if the opportunity has never been presented to you, how am I presuming too much?

The Pencil Neck
04-29-2010, 02:35 PM
do I? You ever been offered a huge amount of cash and walked away because of a question or the hiring boss was an ass? if the opportunity has never been presented to you, how am I presuming too much?

I've been offered jobs, very nice paying ones, that I've walked away from because the situation wasn't right. And working for the wrong person is something you do not want to do. I've walked away from jobs, with no job waiting for me, because the situation wasn't right. My wife and I walked away from jobs at the same time and moved to LA just to follow a dream. (Turned out to be the best decision we ever made.)

To me, if I'm going to get multimillion dollars from someone, it doesn't make any difference if it's a difference of a million or two more to work for someone that has insulted me. I'll take the loss of a couple of million dollars to work for someone else if that someone else was also going to pay me a few million.

HoustonFrog
04-29-2010, 02:47 PM

NOBODY said Bryant was turning down 15 million. NOBODY! That statement was sent to those on this board that said no amount of money would make them work for a boss, in the real world that was an asshole like this GM and I say BS. I posed question saying if they are offering you 15 million, you are not gonna walk away because of a question. Hell if they are offering you 100-200k, you are not walking away.

I said the GM probably asked the question, to get an emotional response, BEFORE giving a player 15 million, which is the estimate for that draft pick in the 11th, had they kept the pick and Drafted Bryant. I Never said he wasn't getting paid nor was he not going in the first round. Stop reading what isn't there...

Never said it was his one chance, see yall are getting way off track. As for Ditka and NFLPA, doesn't really matter what they say cause I wasn't ever talking about them faking it, was talking about those here on this board that act like they have higher morals and would walk away from a better life...

I'm sorry, I figured spewing over and over for page after page about, "you'd answer any question for 15 mil" was an assumption that he was turning down his one shot at 15 mil. That is what is sounds like and what alot of us hit on. I think you have it all screwed up. As I said pages ago, you are trying to put a monetary value on professionalism and dignity. There is a reason why the questions aren't allowed in normal business practices and a reason why the NFLPA and others are not happy with what happened.....the NFL isn't above the standards of professionalism. It is why the commish has cracked down so hard on offenders and why he has tried to clean up the league. He wants it professional. It is why they are so hard ass about socks being pulled up and uniforms the same....professionalism. Asking if a guys mom is a prostitute doesn't add to anything the league is striving to be. He already experienced the hard part first hand and made it through so the question had no value. I'm sure he has been shocked more in life than being asked that.

Goldensilence
04-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Ok if the shoe is on the other foot. Hypothetically.

Jeff has four children, let's say one of them is a girl that is 20, doesn't live at home and goes to a college that isn't in the same town. She makes a sex tape and it blows up in the press because it's the daughter of an up and coming young NFL exec.

When he's interviewing for the job with the team president and owner do you think it would be an appropriate question for either to ask during the interview what do you think you could've done differently to prevent your daughter from becoming a porn star?

They don't apologize for asking such a personal question at all. Later when it hits the media they make a begrudged apology, and some people say well you're going to get criticized as a GM we just wanted to see if you could handle criticism.

Really? Yeah they'll criticize you for your personnel decisions, they might criticize you for hiring or firing a coach, and they'll criticize you for draft decisions.

See the tying theme with the criticisms? They're all work related. They're all involved with the job your are applying for. How is asking about his daughter relevant? It has no reflection of the work he put in to getting in a position to apply for a spot as a GM of an NFL franchise. It isn't even necessarily a reflection of his parenting skills either.

Much like Dez has no control over what his mom did and it doesn't change the fact the question was irrelevant, humiliating, and showed no hints of professionalism or class that you SHOULD expect from a GM of such a storied franchise.

The1ApplePie
04-29-2010, 04:20 PM
This seriously needs to be on the SAT

What's horribly distasteful spoken aloud is hilarious when in written form.

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm sorry, I figured spewing over and over for page after page about, "you'd answer any question for 15 mil" was an assumption that he was turning down his one shot at 15 mil. That is what is sounds like and what alot of us hit on.

apology accepted....

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm sorry, I figured spewing over and over for page after page about, "you'd answer any question for 15 mil" was an assumption that he was turning down his one shot at 15 mil. That is what is sounds like and what alot of us hit on. I think you have it all screwed up. As I said pages ago, you are trying to put a monetary value on professionalism and dignity. There is a reason why the questions aren't allowed in normal business practices and a reason why the NFLPA and others are not happy with what happened.....the NFL isn't above the standards of professionalism. It is why the commish has cracked down so hard on offenders and why he has tried to clean up the league. He wants it professional. It is why they are so hard ass about socks being pulled up and uniforms the same....professionalism. Asking if a guys mom is a prostitute doesn't add to anything the league is striving to be. He already experienced the hard part first hand and made it through so the question had no value. I'm sure he has been shocked more in life than being asked that.

you don't think this hasn't been happening for years? Seriously? You don't think the NFLPA hasn't heard of questions that the players get asked in these pre-draft interviews? NFLPA came out for pub and pub only to make themselves look good because of the CBA conflict that is going on. Get with the program man. If the NFLPA really "cared and were upset" they would have bargained to the questions reviewed before they are asked a long freaking time ago and I bet NOTHING is even talked about in the next CBA....

the player I knew that was in KC, played back in the late 80's early 90's and this kind of stuff was happening then and the NFLPA did nothing, nada, zip about it. This kind of stuff goes on every freaking year but because everyone Tweets and Twats and Facebooks and Blogs, it is more out there. Is it wrong and immore, hell yes it is but the reality of the fact is that it does happen, players are just not vocal about what happens behind those closed doors.

I don't see the NFLPA going to the defense of McCoy, Tebow or Gerhart after their "inappropriate questioning" Maybe in a blanket statement but their sole purpose was to make themselves look good in a bad situation.

As for the "monetary value of professionalism and dignity" hell yes it has a price and it's a 2 way street. Are not these teams paying millions of dollars to players to uphold professionalism and the "dignity of the team" on and off the field? Ask the Rooney's about how much professionalism and dignity cost when 2 of their star players are in the press for the wrong reasons. Go ask the Titans and the Giants. hell ask the Bangles as well, their players have yet to uphold the "professionalism and dignity" of their team....

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 05:02 PM
You don't like the reason I gave as to why this question was asked, watch Marcellus Wiley talk about how Bill Parcells asked questions to him as a free agent coming to the Cowboys....

This may clear the way as to WHY this question was asked. exactly what I have been saying all along coming from a player who went through a similar situation, to make sure the player is not emotionally compromised and mentally unstable.

I think Wiley said best, the question is to see what kind of people were around this kid and if they would bring him down.

StarStruck
04-29-2010, 05:13 PM
That was my whole point was that though the question was morally and professionally wrong, and it was no doubt, I understand why GMs would go to that length and ask those questions because allot of money is at stake and giving money to a 21 year old kid that might do something to warrant suspension and such, is not good business...

The point I wish to make is "if" the Dolphins would have drafted him, they weren't giving him jack. They would have been offering the market rate for a person of his talent. If they were to offer $15 million it would have been because they stood a chance of making $15 billion whether his mother was a prostitute or not.

I would be willing to bet that out of the teams that he was interviewed that there were other teams in addition to the Cowboys that got the information needed to assess him as a total player/employee without him having to submit to the line of questioning presented by Ireland.

I believe that we have seen enough over the last few years that squeeky clean family dynamics haven't always resulted in squeeky clean behavior. By the same token, there are others who have come from some very troubling family issues, and have done quite well in going from zero to a multi-millionaire.

Sounds to me as though he might be more emotionally balanced than the one asking the questions.

awtysst
04-29-2010, 05:48 PM

I think a lot of you are potentially completely missing the point. While the question asked was whether Dez's mother was a prostitute, that was not the real question being asked. The real question being asked is: How do you react when a total stranger insults your mother? Will you get upset and strike the other person? Will you engage in a shouting match with the person? Will you let it roll off your back and ignore it?

Remember this guy has a potential character issue and the Dolphins just spent all kinds of time listening to how Goodell suspended Roethlisberger for "poor choices." They are paying him a lot of $ and want to see how he would react to a very real situation he will likely encounter from a drunk bar patron or when he is out in public.

THATS the reason this is an excellent question to ask and thats why ALL players need to be this type of question.

gg no re
04-29-2010, 07:13 PM
THATS the reason this is an excellent question to ask and thats why ALL players need to be this type of question.

I think everyone got the intent of the question, the question was why Ireland didn't feel the need to apologize for it until it became public knowledge.

It's one thing for Ashton Kutcher to get your car towed away, but it's another thing when he doesn't say "Punk'D!" to confirm that your car's not being towed for reals.

NitroGSXR
04-29-2010, 07:19 PM
For a multi-million dollar contract and a chance to be able to instantly secure my family's future... he can ask me whatever he wants and then I'll bend over and say, thank you, may I have another?

Being honest...

JB
04-29-2010, 07:25 PM
For a multi-million dollar contract and a chance to be able to instantly secure my family's future... he can ask me whatever he wants and then I'll bend over and say, thank you, may I have another?

Being honest...

it's not like he was the only one to interview Bryant. Not like Bryant had a history of losing his composure. How many other prospects did Ireland ask that question of? If it was something that was OK, why did he apoligize at all?

Sorry, I have yet to read solid justification for this asshattery behavior by a top proffesional whose job is public relations.

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 08:59 PM
it's not like he was the only one to interview Bryant. Not like Bryant had a history of losing his composure. How many other prospects did Ireland ask that question of? If it was something that was OK, why did he apoligize at all?

Sorry, I have yet to read solid justification for this asshattery behavior by a top proffesional whose job is public relations.

Why would he ask that particular question to another player , unless that player had the exact same background? I am quite sure, in speculation of course, that questions that were just as offensive and out of line were asked of different players, especially if they had a background.

you don't think Blount got hammered about what he did and coaches and GMs pushing to see if he had learned his lesson or not?

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Let us think about why this question was asked. Scenario, say Bryant said yes, well what kind of people hang around those kind of people?

Drug users most likely. Ok if I am not mistaken Ireland also asked if his mother was STILL using drugs. Ok let's play this out. His mother hangs around folks Dez does not need to hang out with, but he is loyal to his mother(emotionally compromised) and goes to see her often.

Mother throws a party to celebrate his success, some of those type of people come over and now something goes down and Dez is caught right in the middle. Now Dez was not a drug user nor a dealer but now is guilty by association because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time with a mother that had issues...

Bryant gets in trouble with the law and the league. Franchise now has a black eye and rest is history...

this is a scenario that far too often is real, thus the reason the Miami GM asked that kind of question, to protect the investment of the franchise....

weather the questioning was moral or not, money always tends to over shadow morals...

JMO...

JB
04-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Why would he ask that particular question to another player , unless that player had the exact same background? I am quite sure, in speculation of course, that questions that were just as offensive and out of line were asked of different players, especially if they had a background.

you don't think Blount got hammered about what he did and coaches and GMs pushing to see if he had learned his lesson or not?

Absolutely I think he did. He punched a player on the field, not just punched in the heat of the moment, but cold-cocked the guy when he wasn't looking. WTH does that have to do with his mother? Or Bryant lying about spending some time with Deon?

Why don't you answer this one little question and quit avoiding it? If Ireland was trying to provoke a response, that he did not get, why not give an explanation?

Here's one more

If Ireland thought it was a valid question and a reasonable question to ask, why apoligize after the fact?

Need another?

If it was such an important question, why did no other team ask it of him?

I'm looking forward to your response

BullNation4Life
04-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Absolutely I think he did. He punched a player on the field, not just punched in the heat of the moment, but cold-cocked the guy when he wasn't looking. WTH does that have to do with his mother? Or Bryant lying about spending some time with Deon?

Why don't you answer this one little question and quit avoiding it? If Ireland was trying to provoke a response, that he did not get, why not give an explanation?

Here's one more

If Ireland thought it was a valid question and a reasonable question to ask, why apoligize after the fact?

Need another?

If it was such an important question, why did no other team ask it of him?

I'm looking forward to your response

Avoid what? I have answered everything everyone has posted, I don't need to hide from crap.

Very simple, A: Why would you ask a totally different player about their mother when their mother didn't have a checkered past like Bryant's did, that makes no sense. Had Blounts mother punched someone out on the field and was a drug user that was going to be around him while he played for my franchise, I am quite sure that is would have been asked, so your argument is not valid...

2: Why not give an explanation, he didn't have to because in their eyes, the question was a valid one to ask especially if A; he is a potential draft pick an is about to get a lot of money from their franchise and B:this kid is moving his mother into his house wit this shady past, which he is...

3: Clear PR move and nothing more. Had nobody shot their mouth off to Yahoo sports, no apology necessary. Quite sure that if the GM that came out and asked Tebow if "God was going to get in the way of him being a NFL QB" or the one that asked Gerhart a very racial question was outed, they would apologize to but you haven't heard anything now have you? Wonder why that is....

4: How do you know they didn't? Bryant himself said many teams asked about his mother, if she did drugs and so on and so forth. Maybe in a different context and maybe not so blunt, but I would be willing to bet the subject came up.

Goldensilence
04-29-2010, 09:57 PM
I think a lot of you are potentially completely missing the point. While the question asked was whether Dez's mother was a prostitute, that was not the real question being asked. The real question being asked is: How do you react when a total stranger insults your mother? Will you get upset and strike the other person? Will you engage in a shouting match with the person? Will you let it roll off your back and ignore it?

Remember this guy has a potential character issue and the Dolphins just spent all kinds of time listening to how Goodell suspended Roethlisberger for "poor choices." They are paying him a lot of $ and want to see how he would react to a very real situation he will likely encounter from a drunk bar patron or when he is out in public.

Dez Bryant did not have any sort of negative transgressions past the ridiculous suspension laid down by the NCAA for hanging out with Deion Sanders.

He hasn't been arrested for drug use, he hasn't had a battery case filed against him, he hasn't robbed anyone, and hasn't had any on the field character issues.

The worst I've seen is the guy hasn't been the most punctual individual.

Sorry. I just can't buy the well they had to test him to see what he'd do angle.

Lucky
04-29-2010, 11:26 PM
I think most of the posters here get it. I think most of the points I would make have been covered, and this has been pretty much beaten to death. But, I'm surprised that this hasn't been brought up.

As a GM, before I give millions of dollars my franchise my never see again to any player coming in, I want to know those answers...I do not condone the action, but I understand the reasoning behind it...
The Dolphins are concerned about who they give their $millions to. Got it. It's reasonable to ask anything in order to elicit a possible emotional response. Got it. I'm just wondering if Jeff Ireland asked Brandon Marshall, yes Brandon-Freakin-Marshall, this question prior to the Dolphins trading for and signing him to a big, $fat contract:

Brandon, we think you're a great receiver and would help our team win football games. Just one question: Do you think the reason you're a woman-beating a-hole is due to your mama being a crack whore while she was pregnant with you? Because that would explain a lot.
By your logic, that would be a sound question for Jeff to ask.

While the question asked was whether Dez's mother was a prostitute, that was not the real question being asked. The real question being asked is: How do you react when a total stranger insults your mother? Will you get upset and strike the other person? Will you engage in a shouting match with the person? Will you let it roll off your back and ignore it?
Should the Rams have asked Sam Bradford if his grandma was a dirty, stinking squaw? Come on, Sam. We need to know how you'll respond if someone insults your family. This logic (or lack of) is some of the weakest I've ever seen on this forum.

There's Dumb
http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsD/4155-5456.gif

There's Dumber
http://digitalderek.typepad.com/sawxblog/photos/2006/a_chance.jpegr

And then there's Jeff Ireland

http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2008/04/21/1208826666_6087/300h.jpg

JPPT1974
04-30-2010, 12:41 AM
Talk about out of line. Really that would ruin someone's day if you got drafted! Geez!

GP
04-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Dez Bryant did not have any sort of negative transgressions past the ridiculous suspension laid down by the NCAA for hanging out with Deion Sanders.

He hasn't been arrested for drug use, he hasn't had a battery case filed against him, he hasn't robbed anyone, and hasn't had any on the field character issues.

The worst I've seen is the guy hasn't been the most punctual individual.

Sorry. I just can't buy the well they had to test him to see what he'd do angle.

That's what I don't understand. It's not as if Dez Bryant did harmful things.

On draft day a few years ago, ALL the analysts were talking about PacMan Jones and how the Titans were really walking on thin ice for taking him in the first round (due to lots of problems in college and even before that). I think there also a bit of this speculative talk about Marshawn Lynch, too.

At the end of the day, this is about trying to crush Dez Bryant. And I wish I knew the reason behind the vile and utterly vindictive stance taken against him. It seems there have been people gunning for him, for awhile now.

HOU-TEX
04-30-2010, 09:01 AM
"Dirty, stinking squaw" :spit:

leebigeztx
04-30-2010, 09:10 AM

If they asked him if his mama was a ho, they had info that she was a ho at some point. She was 13 when she had him and had drugs problems. I'm not saying i know, but when they do those background checks, they asked around the neighborhood and see what people know about the family. They don't send some fbi looking guy in their either, its more of like a guy of the same ethinic background asking about a person. Obviuosly some said she used to ho a little bit. If there are a pack of women ahead of you and you call them hoes, only the hoes will turn around.

HoustonFrog
04-30-2010, 09:57 AM
I think most of the posters here get it. I think most of the points I would make have been covered, and this has been pretty much beaten to death. But, I'm surprised that this hasn't been brought up.

The Dolphins are concerned about who they give their $millions to. Got it. It's reasonable to ask anything in order to elicit a possible emotional response. Got it. I'm just wondering if Jeff Ireland asked Brandon Marshall, yes Brandon-Freakin-Marshall, this question prior to the Dolphins trading for and signing him to a big, $fat contract:

By your logic, that would be a sound question for Jeff to ask.

Should the Rams have asked Sam Bradford if his grandma was a dirty, stinking squaw? Come on, Sam. We need to know how you'll respond if someone insults your family. This logic (or lack of) is some of the weakest I've ever seen on this forum.

There's Dumb
http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsD/4155-5456.gif

There's Dumber
http://digitalderek.typepad.com/sawxblog/photos/2006/a_chance.jpegr

And then there's Jeff Ireland

http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2008/04/21/1208826666_6087/300h.jpg

Nice work...rep Lucky!

Brando
04-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Here's the version that the Dolphins apparently are selling: (1) Ireland asked Bryant what his father does; (2) Bryant openly admitted he's a pimp; (3) Ireland then asked what mother does; (4) Bryant said that his mother works for his father; (5) Ireland then asked if his mother is a prostitute.

link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/30/dolphins-dez-bryant-spin-comes-too-little-too-late/)

b0ng
04-30-2010, 01:11 PM
If that's how it really went I don't even see why Ireland apologized. Apparently Goodell supports Ireland as well so you have that.

infantrycak
04-30-2010, 01:25 PM
If that's how it really went I don't even see why Ireland apologized. Apparently Goodell supports Ireland as well so you have that.

The Dolphins have no commented that and Dez Bryant has vehemently denied it. As you said, why would you apologize at all if that is how it came up. You wouldn't, you would relate the transaction. Doesn't sound real likely since I don't think his father is with his mother and she has been reported to be a lesbian now.

The Pencil Neck
04-30-2010, 01:36 PM
To me, that changes things quite a bit.

Asking someone what his father or mother does for a living and having that naturally flow into the question of prostitution is WAY different than leading off with "Is your mother a prostitute?"

Asking someone what their mom and dad do fo a living is a natural ice-breaker even if it isn't relevant to this kid's playing ability.

This reminds me of a meeting I was in a few weeks ago. Me and a guy I work with dial in to this phone conference. As we're waiting for the final guy to dial in, my co-worker asks the other guy on the line (who works for a different company) how his weekend was. The guy says it was rough. They celebrated their daughter's 11th birthday. My friend congratulates him. And then the guy says it's her first birthday since she died. It's like... what do you say?

If this Ireland story is true, then it could easily be the same case of walking into something and then not knowing what to say and saying the wrong thing. I mean, someone telling you their father is a pimp is pretty unusual. At least in my personal experience.

JB
04-30-2010, 01:45 PM
I think this is just bogus info put out to try to mitigate the controversy.

kastofsna
04-30-2010, 01:48 PM
i dont really care either way of course but that version makes a lot more sense, doesn't it? duh.

infantrycak
04-30-2010, 01:51 PM
i dont really care either way of course but that version makes a lot more sense, doesn't it? duh.

To the contrary it makes no sense at all. If that is what went down the first thing that would have popped into Ireland's mind and mouth would have been "well he said his dad was a pimp and his mom worked for his dad" not "it was inappropriate and I am sorry."

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 01:51 PM
:bat: + this story = :deadhorse

You have those who understand why it was asked and those who see it as a travesty...

never gonna see eye to eye because nobody was there but Ireland and Bryant....

HoustonFrog
04-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Here are my issues with this story. a) If true why not tell your side right off the bat before it took a life of its own and b) why apologize and in the apology reference how the question wasn't appropriate in its context. To me the Dolphins look worse

kastofsna
04-30-2010, 01:53 PM
To the contrary it makes no sense at all. If that is what went down the first thing that would have popped into Ireland's mind and mouth would have been "well he said his dad was a pimp and his mom worked for his dad" not "it was inappropriate and I am sorry."

i'm sure that was the first thing that popped into his head. however he's not going to say that to the press, he's going to apologize and give a very canned typical statement.

kastofsna
04-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Here are my issues with this story. a) If true why not tell your side right off the bat before it took a life of its own and b) why apologize and in the apology reference how the question wasn't appropriate in its context. To me the Dolphins look worse

because he was trying to end the story. it's not a GM's place (certainly not one under Parcells) to start a he-said-she-said thing. he's just apologizing. whatever.

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 01:55 PM

then you are spreading personal information to the media and opening a whole other can of worms.

Sometime saying little is the best policy. that was according to Marcellus Wiley who was in a similar situation from Bill Parcells...

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 01:58 PM

so they have a very bad PR rep, so sue them....

you apologize, get it over and move one. Maybe it was the way Ireland delivered the question, his tone rather, that he thought was inappropriate, who knows but them two...

kastofsna
04-30-2010, 02:00 PM
no matter what the context it's still "inappropriate" to ask. the real question is who cares

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 02:09 PM
no matter what the context it's still "inappropriate" to ask. the real question is who cares

No necessarily. Not when millions of dollars are on the line as well as the face of the franchise. If his dad's a pimp, his mom a prostitute, what kind of people are they hanging around and what kind of people is Dez Bryant going to be exposed to? Marcellus Wiley stated he had friend that is in jail today, not because he was a bad apple, Like Bryant, but those around his friend, family in particular, that brought him down and turned him into a bad apple.

Dez Bryant's mother is a known drug user as well and he plans on moving her into his home in Dallas. Well let's see, Dez making millions means more than enough money to buy drugs again. Then Bryant becomes the same person that wore #88 before him for the Cowboys caught in the middle of a drug scandal and guilty by association.

So why wouldn't a franchise ask personal questions to protect themselves from that situation? A situation that is very real?

May have been an inappropriate question, but one that needed to be asked...

StarStruck
04-30-2010, 02:10 PM

Exactly. If it were me, media would not take something I said out of context, and my reply would be simply, I apologize.

I understand context because it happened to me once. I made a statement in detail, and the writer chose to clip, and make about a five word sentence that totally misrepresented what I had said. When I read it, I was livid, and we got that comment straight immediately.

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Exactly. If it were me, media would not take something I said out of context, and my reply would be simply, I apologize.

I understand context because it happened to me once. I made a statement in detail, and the writer chose to clip, and make about a five word sentence. When I read it, I was livid, and we got that comment straight immediately.

They may feel sorry that the question was inappropriate, doesn't me they think it was wrong of them to ask. There is a difference between inappropriate and wrong...

infantrycak
04-30-2010, 02:20 PM
not because he was a bad apple, Like Bryant, but those around his friend, family in particular, that brought him down and turned him into a bad apple.

Please list all the actions making Bryant a bad apple.

Blake
04-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Is this thread still going on in circles? Jeez you guys really want to change eachothers minds bad.

HoustonFrog
04-30-2010, 02:36 PM

you apologize, get it over and move one. Maybe it was the way Ireland delivered the question, his tone rather, that he thought was inappropriate, who knows but them two...

Are you kidding me?You are the same guy talking about how this is a multimillion/billion dollar business and how reputation is everything. How vetting hardcore is how to get the job done. Now you are saying a NFL team should take the PR hit and move on with an apology?

Please stop. The circles you spin have become trenches. I can't keep up.

This

BigBull17
04-30-2010, 02:45 PM

i agree with this. He is immature at times, but not a bad guy. I think if he has trouble, it will be because he needs to grow up. Seems like a decent guy truth be told and NO ONE deserves to be asked that question. I'm a guy who grew up mostly without a dad, and my mom was all I had, and if he had asked me that, he would be having his teeth put back in. And I'm a pretty calm, level headed guy.

HoustonFrog
04-30-2010, 02:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5151539

Cowboys rookie receiver Dez Bryant has denied that a question from Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland in a predraft interview asking if his mother was a prostitute was prompted by something Bryant said.

"No, I didn't tell him my dad was a pimp," Bryant said in a text message to ESPN's Ed Werder on Thursday................

Following the Cowboys' first rookie minicamp Friday, Bryant was asked about the conversation in the SI.com story.

"No, that's a lie," he said to reporters. "I really don't want to speak on that."

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 02:55 PM

Ahhh not what I meant, I meant Bryant not being a bad apple but having bad apples around him. Same situation Wiley's friend was in. My bad....:facepalm:

proof reading always helps...

HOU-TEX
04-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Ahhh not what I meant, I meant Bryant not being a bad apple but having bad apples around him. Same situation Wiley's friend was in. My bad....:facepalm:

proof reading always helps...

"Proofreading" is one word. :hides:

Blake
04-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Grammar nazi!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get him!

HOU-TEX
04-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Grammar nazi!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get him!

:jogger:

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=HoustonFrog;1422365]I can't keep up.

understatement of the year...

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Are you kidding me?You are the same guy talking about how this is a multimillion/billion dollar business and how reputation is everything. How vetting hardcore is how to get the job done. Now you are saying a NFL team should take the PR hit and move on with an apology?

Please stop. The circles you spin have become trenches. I can't keep up.

This

NOT SAYING THAT! quite twisting words again. I am merely putting myself in their shoes to understand the reasoning....

the question was posed as to why the apology? A: because someone shoots their mouth off to the press B: They apologize, take the PR hit and move on. Didn't say it was right nor did I say I was for it but allot if times it is how they think...

I am just taking everything that is being said, and what I have read and looking at it from different angles. Why be obtuse and only get half the story?

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 03:17 PM

so is asshole...

HoustonFrog
04-30-2010, 03:22 PM
NOT SAYING THAT! quite twisting words again. I am merely putting myself in their shoes to understand the reasoning....

the question was posed as to why the apology? A: because someone shoots their mouth off to the press B: They apologize, take the PR hit and move on. Didn't say it was right nor did I say I was for it but allot if times it is how they think...

I am just taking everything that is being said, and what I have read and looking at it from different angles. Why be obtuse and only get half the story?

Not obtuse at all. I'm just taking all your rationale together. It makes it easier to follow someones train of thought when it all matches. Speculation is fine by me but you can't really see the person and their thought bubble when it is posted here so it comes across as how they are thinking. Especially with how you wrote it

Blake
04-30-2010, 03:24 PM
:jogger:

:club:

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Is this thread still going on in circles? Jeez you guys really want to change eachothers minds bad.

I never wanted to change anyone's mind. Can't change someone's mind if you are only stating your opinion, which is what I have done for what 5 pages now?

I just want to understand the reasoning behind the question, and I do. Doesn't mean anybody else does or wants to, that that is cool, but their was reason behind asking that question, and I feel it had allot to do with not only getting a emotional reaction from Bryant, but also wanting to know what kind of people are around this kid I may or may not give millions of dollars to play for my franchise and are they going to influence him in a negative manner that may get him suspended or worse?

I am not the only one in the media that has said this. An NFL player said pretty much the same thing...

WWJD
04-30-2010, 03:30 PM
I can't keep up either Frog. I think my confusion is more due to my age but anyway...have fun being obtuse!:spin:

JB
04-30-2010, 03:31 PM

so is asshole...

a bit unneccessary

Blake
04-30-2010, 03:33 PM
I never wanted to change anyone's mind. Can't change someone's mind if you are only stating your opinion, which is what I have done for what 5 pages now?

I just want to understand the reasoning behind the question, and I do. Doesn't mean anybody else does or wants to, that that is cool, but their was reason behind asking that question, and I feel it had allot to do with not only getting a emotional reaction from Bryant, but also wanting to know what kind of people are around this kid I may or may not give millions of dollars to play for my franchise and are they going to influence him in a negative manner that may get him suspended or worse?

I am not the only one in the media that has said this. An NFL player said pretty much the same thing...

:listening

HoustonFrog
04-30-2010, 03:34 PM
I can't keep up either Frog. I think my confusion is more due to my age but anyway...have fun being obtuse!:spin:

Andy Dufresne: How can you be so obtuse?
Warden Samuel Norton: What? What did you call me?
Andy Dufresne: Obtuse. Is it deliberate?
Warden Samuel Norton: Son, you're forgetting yourself.

Blake
04-30-2010, 03:39 PM
a bit unneccessary

But I understand where the comment is coming from. I don't care if it was an asshole thing to say. BullNation wants to make sure that HOU-TEX can handle a negative comment before he commits to a conversation with him.

/sarcasm

HOU-TEX
04-30-2010, 03:54 PM

so is asshole...

You're calling me an asshole, toughguy? :cry2:

:spit:

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Not obtuse at all. I'm just taking all your rationale together. It makes it easier to follow someones train of thought when it all matches. Speculation is fine by me but you can't really see the person and their thought bubble when it is posted here so it comes across as how they are thinking. Especially with how you wrote it

Never said you were. Did I ever once say "you're being" in that sentence? I was talking about myself.

twisting words again....

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 04:50 PM
You're calling me an asshole, toughguy? :cry2:

:spit:

Did I say "You're an asshole?" Do feel that word pertains to you? I merely stated that ass and hole can be combined to form one word, like proof and reading in which you clearly pointed out...

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 04:52 PM
But I understand where the comment is coming from. I don't care if it was an asshole thing to say. BullNation wants to make sure that HOU-TEX can handle a negative comment before he commits to a conversation with him.

/sarcasm

that was a bit unnecessary...never called anybody an asshole, merely pointed out that the word ass and hole can be brought together to form one word, as it was pointed out to me that proof and reading can form one word...

WORD TWISTING - FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 04:59 PM
:listening

yet still the truth...:yes:

JB
04-30-2010, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=HoustonFrog;1422365]I can't keep up.

so is asshole...

Never said you were. Did I ever once say "you're being" in that sentence? I was talking about myself.

twisting words again....

Did I say "You're an asshole?" Do feel that word pertains to you? I merely stated that ass and hole can be combined to form one word, like proof and reading in which you clearly pointed out...

that was a bit unnecessary...never called anybody an asshole, merely pointed out that the word ass and hole can be brought together to form one word, as it was pointed out to me that proof and reading can form one word...

Your posts remind of the song "Slip Sliding Away"

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=BullNation4Life;1422407]

Your posts remind of the song "Slip Sliding Away"

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am sure I could go back and quote all your post and make some snarky comment....

but that would just be a waste of my time.....

GP
04-30-2010, 08:39 PM

You and krocket must live next door to each other.

LOL.

JB
04-30-2010, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE=JB;1422525]

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am sure I could go back and quote all your post and make some snarky comment....

but that would just be a waste of my time.....

We thinking alike then....

Carr Bombed
04-30-2010, 09:42 PM
He has NEVER faced what he is about to face in the NFL from the media. We're not talking about some pimple faced kid writing for the school paper. We are talking New York, Philadelphia, Washington, etc. Reporters that will bring up stuff on you, you didn't even know existed and now that THIS is out there, it is ammunition for places like that. those outlets have no limits. they want the story that nobody has, even if it means pushing buttons and talking about a very sore subject to get it...

I am quite sure it has come up, but I bet it hasn't been addressed like it might be in those cities...

LOL, why the hell do you keep bringing up "the NFL media". Umm the NFL media isn't that bad and they don't go around popping off the "was your mom a whore" question. You're trying to create a problem when there isn't one. If the "NFL media" was so so bad like you said, everybody would've knew about his mom's checkered past a LONG time ago. The NFL media is actually quite forgiving...dude would have absolute NO problems if he can play.

JB
04-30-2010, 09:51 PM
LOL, why the hell do you keep bringing up "the NFL media". Umm the NFL media isn't that bad and they don't go around popping off the "was your mom a whore" question. You're trying to create a problem when there isn't one. If the "NFL media" was so so bad like you said, everybody would've knew about his mom's checkered past a LONG time ago. The NFL media is actually quite forgiving...dude when have absolute NO problems if he can play.

I hate this damn laptop! I spent 15 minutes posting a reply to this and my laptop ate it lika a freakin dawg. :pissed:

Wolf
04-30-2010, 10:18 PM
when I heard about this story and the way the media printed it out.. I thought"what the hell?"

as I saw today.. it was a legit question

I haven't went through the other 9 pages but as they said on TV

DB said .. "my dad was a pimp and my mom worked for him"

dolphins guy said.. "was she a prostitute?"

DB said "no"

mountain out of a molehill

JB
04-30-2010, 10:20 PM
when I heard about this story and the way the media printed it out.. I thought"what the hell?"

as I saw today.. it was a legit question

I haven't went through the other 9 pages but as they said on TV

DB said .. "my dad was a pimp and my mom worked for him"

dolphins guy said.. "was she a prostitute?"

DB said "no"

mountain out of a molehill

That is only one spin on it , and one that has been refuted

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 11:36 PM
You and krocket must live next door to each other.

LOL.

:facepalm: even if it did make sense....

BullNation4Life
04-30-2010, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE=BullNation4Life;1422631]

We thinking alike then....

yet you come back for more....

GP
05-02-2010, 09:27 AM
:survivor:

BullNation4Life
05-03-2010, 10:49 AM
:survivor:

As much as you would like this to be a reality game show, can't put someone out for speaking their opinion, weather you agree or don't I really don't give a dam but I have maintained my opinion while others maintain attacks against my opinion and even me as a poster.:tiphat:

nice try...

HOU-TEX
05-03-2010, 11:05 AM
As much as you would like this to be a reality game show, can't put someone out for speaking their opinion, weather you agree or don't I really don't give a dam but I have maintained my opinion while others maintain attacks against my opinion and even me as a poster.:tiphat:

nice try...

http://www.nassaulibrary.org/GoldCoast/first-place-blue-ribbon.gif

Blake
05-03-2010, 11:05 AM

nice try...

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq307/JesusBlewMeOnce/stopsayingwords.jpg

Seriously stop posting. Nobody cares what you think anymore.

Dread-Head
05-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Sorry, I don't care what your race, color, creed, socio-economic background OR age. Some man calls your mom a prostitute he's effectively " Pardon me sir, but could you beat me without any degree of mercy?" If I'm sitting on your jury I won't vote to convict you. The Dolphins need to fire that A-hole if he doesn't ask ALL perspective employees if their mothers had held the same vocation.

GP
05-03-2010, 02:27 PM

nice try...

Ah, let me clarify what the smiley icon was for.

It was not to extinguish YOUR torch.

It was saying "The tribe has spoken" on the thread since it was silent for so long. You got irritated and thought I was signifying that we voted you out, or something. That was not my intention.

I should have put my intentions within the post. Pardon the exclusion.

BullNation4Life
05-03-2010, 04:49 PM
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq307/JesusBlewMeOnce/stopsayingwords.jpg

Seriously stop posting. Nobody cares what you think anymore.

Free country. Don't like what I have to say, don't read and move on to something else....

http://bucf.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/free-speech1.jpg

I think this sums it up...

GP
05-03-2010, 05:45 PM
You are claiming Free Speech when that's not even the proper definition of it. Free Speech means that you cannot be punished, by entities, for your opinions and speech (unless it violates or endangers/hurts others).

Nobody here is restricting your ability to communicate on the board.

You're just not getting the kind of acceptance of your opinion as you'd prefer. I see a possible correlation in terms of your defense of Ireland's question of Dez Bryant. You also feel that Ireland is being unfairly punished or censored for a question you deem is perfectly logical "in that scenario" he was in.

If roughly 95% of people think something is wrong, especially in THIS day and age of how split everyone is on all manner of topics, then I think it might be safe to say that your opinion is not going to be (a) understood, (b) accepted, and (c) likely to convert others to your reasoning anytime soon.

JB
05-03-2010, 07:38 PM
You are claiming Free Speech when that's not even the proper definition of it. Free Speech means that you cannot be punished, by entities, for your opinions and speech (unless it violates or endangers/hurts others).

Nobody here is restricting your ability to communicate on the board.

You're just not getting the kind of acceptance of your opinion as you'd prefer. I see a possible correlation in terms of your defense of Ireland's question of Dez Bryant. You also feel that Ireland is being unfairly punished or censored for a question you deem is perfectly logical "in that scenario" he was in.

If roughly 95% of people think something is wrong, especially in THIS day and age of how split everyone is on all manner of topics, then I think it might be safe to say that your opinion is not going to be (a) understood, (b) accepted, and (c) likely to convert others to your reasoning anytime soon.

Exactly! :goodpost:

kastofsna
05-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Sorry, I don't care what your race, color, creed, socio-economic background OR age. Some man calls your mom a prostitute he's effectively " Pardon me sir, but could you beat me without any degree of mercy?" If I'm sitting on your jury I won't vote to convict you. The Dolphins need to fire that A-hole if he doesn't ask ALL perspective employees if their mothers had held the same vocation.

congratulations, you're a 4th grader

this thread needs closing. this story has been ****ed out more than Dez Bryant's mom. time to move on.

HoustonFrog
05-04-2010, 11:00 AM

this thread needs closing. this story has been ****ed out more than Dez Bryant's mom. time to move on.

Always full of class

ATXtexanfan
05-04-2010, 10:06 PM
heard on the scott van pelt show she was busted for selling crack to undercovers for the second time in 2009. nice woman.

StarStruck
05-05-2010, 09:12 AM
heard on the scott van pelt show she was busted for selling crack to undercovers for the second time in 2009. nice woman.

I think her past about drug dealing was well documented and quite easy to find. That wasn't the issue that generated this thread.

HoustonFrog
05-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Might as well.....

Rick Reilly....good article..alot more besides the quoted

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5161597

Let's play a game. I'll describe a childhood, and you figure out who had it.

Person No. 1 -- Raised in his grandmother's brothel, the son of a prostitute, he was raped by a neighbor at 6 and molested by a Catholic priest during catechism.

Person No. 2 -- Considered useless and distant, teachers wrote of him, as noted in Catherine Hurley's "Could do Better": "Certainly on the road to failure … hopeless … rather a clown in class … wasting other pupils' time."

Person No. 3 -- Raised in the brothel run by his aunt, he was once sent home from school for "insufficient clothes" and was arrested at 15 for breaking into cars.

Give up?

1. Richard Pryor.
2. John Lennon.
3. James Brown.

Arguably the greatest comedian, songwriter and soul singer of the 20th century, respectively.

The question isn't: "Why did Miami Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland ask Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant if his mom was a prostitute?" The question is: "Why should it matter?"

You're not drafting the mom, you're drafting the son! Supposing it's true that Angela Bryant was a prostitute at 15 when she had Dez, how does it reflect on his worth? How is it relevant? What was he supposed to do about it?

If the Dolphins were so concerned about how his mother's sexuality will affect him on the football field, did they ask him about her coming out as gay when he was in high school? Are we the people who raised us?

Honestly, the arrogance of the NFL makes me yearn for the open-mindedness of the McCarthy hearings. Hey, Dan Marino and Vince Young, you each scored 16 on the Wonderlic? Can't draft you.

People rise above. Can you name the NBA superstar who was the son of a heroin addict? Whose South Side Chicago mom was constantly strung out? Who, at 5, was being raised by his 9-year-old sister? Dwyane Wade. Would Ireland have passed on him?

Bryant has never been arrested and has never had an incident involving violence, drugs or alcohol. But I know somebody who has. You might even call him out of control -- arrested three times for driving violations, including once for suspicion of driving and drinking (later reduced). Bill Gates. Who'd want him on their team?

Dread-Head
05-05-2010, 09:46 AM

Insult me all you want, but there are things you don't do.

1. You don't insult a man's MOTHER

2. You don't insult his WIFE

3 You don't lay hands on his DAUGHTER

4. You never mess with a mother's kids.

If you do any of the aforementioned and get your @$$ whipped...don't blame Dessinex and for YOUR information I'm in the 5th grade fish-boy! Bill and I got promoted!

JB
05-05-2010, 09:49 AM

If you do any of the aforementioned and get your @$$ whipped...don't blame Dessinex and for YOUR information I'm in the 5th grade fish-boy! Bill and I got promoted!

Congratulations man, I knew y'all could do it!

Dread-Head
05-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Might as well.....

1. Did NOT know Prior had been raped by a neighbor OR molested by a priest. I knew the man was tortured by his inner demons, but I never knew there were so many.

2. Lennon? I'd heard that about him

3. James Brown? Knew all the aforementioned and think perhaps James himself said it best when he said: "Ahwesabbemesuhmamebahaha."

Dread-Head
05-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Congratulations man, I knew y'all could do it!

WE cheated of that Vietnamese girl who sat in front of us. Thanks Thuy Tran! I owe small Asian women so much...(insert joke here.)

kastofsna
05-05-2010, 11:16 AM

If you do any of the aforementioned and get your @$$ whipped...don't blame Dessinex

your line of thinking is exactly like extremist terrorists, cool job!

i dont know where i'm going with this

Dread-Head
05-05-2010, 11:22 AM
your line of thinking is exactly like extremist terrorists, cool job!

i dont know where i'm going with this

So if you were being interviewed by a perspective client and he/she asked: "Have your mother, wife or daughter ever been prostitutes?" You wouldn't want to box the guys head? I'm 40 years old and if someone wrongs me my 67 year old mother would go ballistic. I'd have to calm her down. You don't mess with a guy's family. You just don't do it.

BullNation4Life
05-05-2010, 11:57 AM
So if you were being interviewed by a perspective client and he/she asked: "Have your mother, wife or daughter ever been prostitutes?" You wouldn't want to box the guys head? I'm 40 years old and if someone wrongs me my 67 year old mother would go ballistic. I'd have to calm her down. You don't mess with a guy's family. You just don't do it.

Had I lived in that type of world or been exposed to it, where my mother was a prostitute and a known drug user that had been arrested as recent as 2009, and a client wanted to give me a significant amount of money but was worried about their investment due to my mother and not only the life she led but the people she hung around that could effect me in the long run because of my close relationship to her...

Would have no problem with them asking me that question and would totally understand and respect their concern. I would simply explain to them I am not apart of that world and it is kept at a great distance from not only myself but also my place of employment. That is just me though.....

difference with Bryant is, he is moving his mother, who has been busted for drugs in 2009, with him in Dallas. I hope things turn out well and Bryant has a historic career, but this scenario has played out before and it has played out very bad in the end...

GlassHalfFull
05-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Ya know what just struck me as hugely funny in the ironic sense?? All the reporters bashing Ireland for inappropriate questions. Like theirs are alway so appropriate.

Continue on, please excuse this public service announcement.

BullNation4Life
05-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Ya know what just struck me as hugely funny in the ironic sense?? All the reporters bashing Ireland for inappropriate questions. Like theirs are alway so appropriate.

Continue on, please excuse this public service announcement.

Even more ironic, haven't seen many players or former players blasting Ireland. Though I haven't watch much NFL Network or the 4 letter network but have noticed a few former players say it was an inappropriate question, but one that needed to be asked due to the people that could be around Bryant and could possibly bring him down. Some have even said they got asked worse.

HoustonFrog
05-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Had I lived in that type of world or been exposed to it, where my mother was a prostitute and a known drug user that had been arrested as recent as 2009, and a client wanted to give me a significant amount of money but was worried about their investment due to my mother and not only the life she led but the people she hung around that could effect me in the long run because of my close relationship to her...

Would have no problem with them asking me that question and would totally understand and respect their concern. I would simply explain to them I am not apart of that world and it is kept at a great distance from not only myself but also my place of employment. That is just me though.....

difference with Bryant is, he is moving his mother, who has been busted for drugs in 2009, with him in Dallas. I hope things turn out well and Bryant has a historic career, but this scenario has played out before and it has played out very bad in the end...

You are a piece of work...among other things. Now this surprise 2009 arrest is part of your argument for asking it. Read the rest of the Reilly column above if you can get through it without typing. It really makes sense and makes your defending it even more laughable. I'm sure you will just keep yammering though.

More

Bryant could sue and probably win. Because the same rules that apply to Joe CEO interviewing somebody about a job apply to Joe GM interviewing somebody about a place on a team. It's a civil rights violation to ask any question "not related to essential job functions." And that includes "lineage, ancestry, national origin, descent, nationality or parentage."

But hey, people make mistakes. Can you name the 1991 Baylor kicker who missed three field goals, including a 27-yarder, against Rice, helping the eighth-ranked Bears lose by three to a 20.5-point underdog? The kicker who was roundly hated and booed but went on to become a well-respected man in professional football?

BullNation4Life
05-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Might as well.....

Speaking of prostitutes...

Pimped his own self out...

BullNation4Life
05-05-2010, 12:17 PM
You are a piece of work...among other things. Now this surprise 2009 arrest is part of your argument for asking it. Read the rest of the Reilly column above if you can get through it without typing. It really makes sense and makes your defending it even more laughable. I'm sure you will just keep yammering though.

yes please let us believe everything Rick "pimp myself out" Reilly has to say. You mean the same Rick Reilly that wrote about a high school basketball team here in Houston, said he wanted to fight the coach and got not even half the stats correct. Had NEVER seen one basketball game in person. Yes let us put our faith in this weasel...Nice try

Can you not think for yourself for one post? Everything you have posted is based on someone else opinion. But then again most sheeple do follow the others...

Oh surprise arrest or not, is defiantly a concern and being this isn't the FIRST time she was busted. we are suppose to believe she was away from that world, right? Isn't that what the media tried to make seem like, that She was far removed from that life. Well as of 2009, she was still apart of that life, drug side anyways....

Where their are prostitutes, there are pimps, where there are pimps, there are drugs, where there are drugs there are very bad people all living in the same world....

BullNation4Life
05-05-2010, 12:18 PM

More

Again, letting others dictate your opinion, but it's cool. To each their own I guess...

HoustonFrog
05-05-2010, 12:23 PM
yes please let us believe everything Rick "pimp myself out" Reilly has to say. You mean the same Rick Reilly that wrote about a high school basketball team here in Houston, said he wanted to fight the coach and got not even half the stats correct. Had NEVER seen one basketball game in person. Yes let us put our faith in this weasel...Nice try

Can you not think for yourself for one post? Everything you have posted is based on someone else opinion. But then again most sheeple do follow the others...

Oh surprise or not, is defiantly a concern...

What are you talking about?Talk about thinking for yourself. Using 3rd down cutdowns and glossing 90% of people here is just plain immature. You've done it since the word go. It's like you don't even read half the things written or consider any other opinion. I gave you a real example of MY friend playing for Bill Walsh, etc. You just skip all of this because it doesn't jive and the guy you know knows all. I'm just putting info out there for public consumption. His article contained facts, not pure opinion. Mike Ditka is a hard ass that interviewed players and coached winner. You, without batting an eyelash, take the writers history and pick one article and say he is a sell out. Its ridiculous. The longer this goes the more embarrassing you get. You have told multiple people here that they are twisting your words. No one is twisting your words. They are taking the words you wrote as an opinion and showing you how you can't keep facts or opinion straight. It's amazing how it keeps happening with so many people...it must be all of us.

Again, how is his Mom's arrest a concern? This is how in left field you are...the article you just panned shows that people can succeed despite a parent. But you can't put it all together. At this point its amazing that this revolves around a guy looking to play football and a GM, the only GM to do it, asking about if a guys mother is a prostitute. Makes sense to me.

BullNation4Life
05-05-2010, 12:36 PM
What are you talking about?Talk about thinking for yourself. Using 3rd down cutdowns and glossing 90% of people here is just plain immature. You've done it since th eword go. It's like you don't even read half the things written or consider any other's opinion. I gave you a real example of MY friend playing for Bill Walsh, etc. You just skip all of this because it doesn't jive. I'm just putting info out there for public consumption. His article contained facts, not pure opinion. You, without batting an eyelash, take the writers history and pick one article and say he is a sell out. Its ridiculous. The longer tghis goes the more embarrassing you get. You have told multiple people here that they are twisting your words. No one is twisting your words. They are taking the words you wrote as an opinion and showing you how you can't keep facts or opinion straight. It's amazing how it keeps happening with so many people...it must be all of us.

Again, how is his Mom's arrest a concern. This is how in left field you are...the article you just panned shows that people can succeed despite a parent. But you can't put it all together.

WRONG! show me ONCE where I cut anybody down, before the sheeple comment! ONCE! In FACT I agreed several times, it was inappropriate questioning, but you cannot see that and I don't expect you to.Look in the mirror and you'll see the one calling people asinine and such. But I wouldn't expect less from you, I posted my opinion and nothing more, you didn't like it and formatted yours around others and the media...ie: sheeple....thinking for yourself is ok too...

he sold out the minute he signed with ESPN. My OPINION, but I am not alone in that opinion...

The fact you do not want to see how she is a concern is your fault and not mine. She is a known prostitute, which in turn a known drug user And lives in a world and around people that can bring him down, And he is moving her into HIS house.. Like stated before, Marcellus Wiley said the EXACT same thing, it was inappropriate but he understood. I think I will go with the guy who actually PLAYED in the NFL and went through similar inappropriate questioning, as a rookie and a free agent, rather a bunch of weasels that think they have all the answers....

How is that picture not painted for you? Oh that's right, Rick Reilly didn't write about that so we don't form our own opinions....

WWJD
05-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Holy moly...let Dez and his mama be.

If she does something that she needs to be put in jail for put her in jail. If he wants to move her to his house let him. Who cares? It's his mama, their lives and he can do whatever he wants in regards to her.

He's a polite kid who just got the chance for a big life. Good for him.

BullNation4Life
05-05-2010, 12:46 PM
What are you talking about?Talk about thinking for yourself. Using 3rd down cutdowns and glossing 90% of people here is just plain immature. You've done it since the word go. It's like you don't even read half the things written or consider any other opinion. I gave you a real example of MY friend playing for Bill Walsh, etc. You just skip all of this because it doesn't jive and the guy you know knows all. I'm just putting info out there for public consumption. His article contained facts, not pure opinion. Mike Ditka is a hard ass that interviewed players and coached winner. You, without batting an eyelash, take the writers history and pick one article and say he is a sell out. Its ridiculous. The longer this goes the more embarrassing you get. You have told multiple people here that they are twisting your words. No one is twisting your words. They are taking the words you wrote as an opinion and showing you how you can't keep facts or opinion straight. It's amazing how it keeps happening with so many people...it must be all of us.

Again, how is his Mom's arrest a concern? This is how in left field you are...the article you just panned shows that people can succeed despite a parent. But you can't put it all together. At this point its amazing that this revolves around a guy looking to play football and a GM, the only GM to do it, asking about if a guys mother is a prostitute. Makes sense to me.

Key word there is CAN, they CAN succeed, but how many do in reality? Hell of alot more don't than do and that is FACT. Reality, please come back to it....

BullNation4Life
05-05-2010, 12:48 PM

If she does something that she needs to be put in jail for put her in jail. If he wants to move her to his house let him. Who cares? It's his mama, their lives and he can do whatever he wants in regards to her.

And never once said it was wrong nor a bad thing. However as an employer, I would be concerned about who she brings around her son and what trouble could potentially find him. That is all.

GlassHalfFull
05-05-2010, 12:55 PM
And never once said it was wrong nor a bad thing. However as an employer, I would be concerned about who she brings around her son and what trouble could potentially find him. That is all.

Please.

HoustonFrog
05-05-2010, 12:55 PM
WRONG! show me ONCE where I cut anybody down, before the sheeple comment! ONCE! In FACT I agreed several times, it was inappropriate questioning, but you cannot see that and I don't expect you to.Look in the mirror and you'll see the one calling people asinine and such. But I wouldn't expect less from you, I posted my opinion and nothing more, you didn't like it and formatted yours around others and the media...ie: sheeple....thinking for yourself is ok too...

he sold out the minute he signed with ESPN. My OPINION, but I am not alone in that opinion...

The fact you do not want to see how she is a concern is your fault and not mine. She is a knows prostitute, which in turn a known drug user moving into HIS house...How is that picture not painted for you? Oh that's right, Rick Reilly didn't write about that so we don't form our own opinions....

Here you go

I can't keep up.

A string of them put together by JB as you spun for your life

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1422525&postcount=178

WWJD
05-05-2010, 01:07 PM

Well unless you're Jerry and toting that big check coming Dez's way just some friendly advice..don't worry at it so much. Your point was made long ago.

HoustonFrog
05-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Well unless you're Jerry and toting that big check coming Dez's way just some friendly advice..don't worry at it so much. Your point was made long ago.

I was also wondering when it became a FACT that she was a prostitute and when it was announced she was moving in.

HOU-TEX
05-05-2010, 01:47 PM

Please.

Yes, and yes. You young ladies bring sense into the thread. Now, will they listen? :hmmm:

StarStruck
05-05-2010, 01:54 PM

Jerry Jones is now Dez' employer. Apparently he isn't concerned enough about the background of Bryant's mother to deny him an opportunity to earn a living in his corporation. Like him or not, Jerry's business, Jerry's decision. He has lived with the decisions good and bad that he has made in the past, and will continue to do so.

GlassHalfFull
05-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Yes, and yes. You young ladies bring sense into the thread. Now, will they listen? :hmmm:

Not a prayer of them listening. We have a classic case of lastworditis going on here. We need Cloak and Dagger to provide medical assistance.

HOU-TEX
05-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Not a prayer of them listening. We have a classic case of lastworditis going on here. We need Cloak and Dagger to provide medical assistance.

Hmmm, I never knew that could be medically treated. I might have to look into that for my wife. *Just kidding, Dear*

BullNation4Life
05-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Jerry Jones is now Dez' employer. Apparently he isn't concerned enough about the background of Bryant's mother to deny him an opportunity to earn a living in his corporation. Like him or not, Jerry's business, Jerry's decision. He has lived with the decisions good and bad that he has made in the past, and will continue to do so.

Apparently not, he has Michael Irvin as his mentor....

Like having Plexico Buress teach gun safety....

HoustonFrog
05-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Hmmm, I never knew that could be medically treated. I might have to look into that for my wife. *Just kidding, Dear*

See you had to post last, maybe it's you with the issue.............now I'm last:clown: It started as a simple posting of an article:firework:

BullNation4Life
05-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Here you go

A string of them put together by JB as you spun for your life

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1422525&postcount=178

wow that is just sad, can't form your own opinion AND you actually had time to do that....add that one as well. I found nothing in those comments insulting, however I do have thicker skin so I must apologize for that. I have yet to conform to this PC, pansy ass society we now live in where everything is hunky dory and kumbaya.Oh and just so you know, you threw the first stone...

So if I am immature, what's that make you? You are much older, yet less wiser....

GlassHalfFull
05-05-2010, 02:21 PM
MODS: Can someone merge this thread with the last one to post wins thread????

StarStruck
05-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Apparently not, he has Michael Irvin as his mentor....

Like having Plexico Buress teach gun safety....

Since he is a member of the Cowboys team, I would think that you would be delighted with the possibilities.

BullNation4Life
05-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Since he is a member of the Cowboys team, I would think that you would be delighted with the possibilities.

On the field, abso-freaking-lutly...Just do not want my new star player hanging around one who's star has fallen so far and been in the media in a negative light off the field far too many times...

StarStruck
05-05-2010, 02:29 PM
On the field, abso-freaking-lutly...Just do not want my new star player hanging around one who's star has fallen so far and been in the media in a negative light off the field far too many times...

Jerry, is that you?

HOU-TEX
05-05-2010, 02:33 PM

:spit: That was funny stuff right there!

BullNation4Life
05-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Jerry, is that you?

Man if I were he and he were me, last thing I would ever be doing is yukking it up on a message board. A Texan message board at that...

I'd be watching Avatar or playing Modern Warfare 2 on my big ass TV inside my stadium...I wouldn't have time for these shenanigans...

HoustonFrog
05-05-2010, 03:13 PM

wow that is just sad, can't form your own opinion AND you actually had time to do that....add that one as well. I found nothing in those comments insulting, however I do have thicker skin so I must apologize for that. I have yet to conform to this PC, pansy ass society we now live in where everything is hunky dory and kumbaya.Oh and just so you know, you threw the first stone...

So if I am immature, what's that make you? You are much older, yet less wiser....

That post = :slapfight:

Your honor, I rest my case

I'm the last word turd

End Thread.

BullNation4Life
05-05-2010, 03:41 PM
That post = :slapfight:

Your honor, I rest my case

I'm the turd

End Thread.

why yes, yes you are....

While you are at it, go ahead and add the word "hypocrite" to your list. You should know that word quite well...

JB
05-05-2010, 03:46 PM
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx307/TexanJB/EB.jpg?t=1273092382

WWJD
05-05-2010, 05:01 PM

God bless you for the YOUNG ladies comment..that's not something this old broad hears much! :)

Texecutioner
08-27-2012, 07:15 PM

This looks like a pretty good time to revive this thread. :peek:

I'll just quote my own post here, and it's rather comical to look back and read some of the posts that were argued so hard for Dez Bryant when all of this went down. I couldn't believe how so many people thought Jeff Ireland was so out of line for wanting to know the kind of player he might be potentially getting himself involved with. I heard a ton of excuses for Dez bryant from his jewlery incidents, to his pants sagging incidents, to all of the crap he pulled in college that got him suspended from the league. ANd Dez's latest incident involved THE INFAMOUS MOTHER THAT SO MANY PEOPLE TRIED TO SAY WAS WRONG TO ASK ABOUT. Boy, a ton of you guys were wrong on this one. Jeff Ireland was dead on by wanting to know about Dez, his mother, and their family environment and everything else that came with it.

Here are Dez Bryant's current rules from the Cowboys of all teams. Lol!

• A midnight curfew. If he's going to miss curfew, team officials must know in advance;

• No drinking alcohol.

• He can't attend any strip clubs and can only attend nightclubs if they are approved by the team and he has a security team with him.

• He must attend counseling sessions twice a week.

• A rotating three-man security team will leave one man with Bryant at all times.

• Members of the security team will drive Bryant to practices, games and team functions.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8304196/dez-bryant-dallas-cowboys-adhere-strict-team-mandated-guidelines-behavior

The Pencil Neck
08-27-2012, 08:04 PM
I totally stand by my position on this.

Asking someone, in a professional setting, if their mother is a prostitute is an inappropriate question. Period.

If Ireland had the research and already knew that this kid's mom was a prostitute and that the kid wasn't draftable because of his mental issues from his upbringing, then he shouldn't have set up a meeting with him. If Ireland was considering drafting him, he should have asked the question differently.

Whether Dez Bryant is a whack job or not isn't relevant. You don't ask that question.

GP
08-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Well, I nailed my opinion.

People said I was crazy for suggesting that the Cowboys have Dez agree to being babysitted around the clock.

Looks like I was right. It's sad, but it's reality...the guy has too much at stake to not have a team of caretakers surrounding him all the time.

Is Texan Bill the one who approves Dez's nightclub list? Uh-oh.

mattieuk
08-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Here are Dez Bryant's current rules from the Cowboys of all teams. Lol!

Don't want to go anywhere near the original topic of this thread.

However with regards to the latest news out of Dallas - I can't see this situation ending well. These guys have all sorts of options available to them - be it team or league sponsored programs to make sure they can get themselves home after a night out clubbing to programs that they can get themselves involved in off the field to limit their exposure to potentially career damaging situations.

A lot of these guys who get a bad rep ignore these options, and seem to have an issue with the idea of a third party messing in their personal life. I can't see someone with the perceived attitude like him living with these guidelines to follow.

GlassHalfFull
08-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Don't want to go anywhere near the original topic of this thread.

However with regards to the latest news out of Dallas - I can't see this situation ending well. These guys have all sorts of options available to them - be it team or league sponsored programs to make sure they can get themselves home after a night out clubbing to programs that they can get themselves involved in off the field to limit their exposure to potentially career damaging situations.

A lot of these guys who get a bad rep ignore these options, and seem to have an issue with the idea of a third party messing in their personal life. I can't see someone with the perceived attitude like him living with these guidelines to follow.

Didn't the Cowboys try this with Pacman Jones? IIRC, it ended well. That is, Pacman got in a fight with his babysitter.

Texn4life
08-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Well, I nailed my opinion.

People said I was crazy for suggesting that the Cowboys have Dez agree to being babysitted around the clock.

Looks like I was right. It's sad, but it's reality...the guy has too much at stake to not have a team of caretakers surrounding him all the time.

Is Texan Bill the one who approves Dez's nightclub list? Uh-oh.

I don't recall anyone saying you're crazy. They already tried this with Pac Man and it failed. If a grown man wants to find trouble he's going to find trouble its as simple as that. My stance was that at some point he has to have some self discipline. Is he going to be a 30 year old player still getting babysat playing for the Cowboys? I hope the best for Dez I really do, but you're right in saying its sad. His teammates will have all kind of fun stories for him about their adventures in the strip clubs and their late nights while he gets to play checkers with one of his security guards. I have a feeling this won't end well.