PDA

View Full Version : Texans rumored to have interest in Darren Sharper/re-signs with Saints

gtexan02
04-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Who will Sharpen their secondary?
12:04 PM ET

Darren Sharper | Saints | Interested: Saints?, Cowboys?, Texans?, Redskins? Top Email The NFL Draft was a smashing success from a ratings standpoint, and it's also beginning to shake out the pictures for certain veteran free agents still on the market. One big name that's still floating out there is Darren Sharper, who was a key member of the New Orleans Saints in 2009.

Looking back at our past set of Sharper rumors, we can cross some teams off the list right away, given the high draft choices used on safeties. This would include the Philadelphia Eagles, Kansas City Chiefs and the Chicago Bears. Two other teams used later-round picks on the position, as the San Diego Chargers added Darrell Stuckey in the fourth, and the Miami Dolphins added Reshad Jones in the fifth. It's unknown whether those Day 3 picks will necessarily prevent Sharper from signing in San Diego or Miami.

For now, that would leave the Washington Redskins, Houston Texans, Dallas Cowboys and, of course, the Saints as some options for the possible 2010 home for Sharper. As of now, we'd have to say that the Saints are the odds-on favorites.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

Carr Bombed
04-26-2010, 04:28 PM
This doesn't say the Texans have any interest in Darren Sharper...it's just matching teams that have a need for a FS, to a vet FA FS that's available. I haven't heard anything coming out of Kirby that says they have interest in Sharper.

gtexan02
04-26-2010, 04:31 PM
This doesn't say the Texans have any interest in Darren Sharper...it's just matching teams that have a need for a FS, to a vet FA FS that's available. I haven't heard anything coming out of Kirby that says they have interest in Sharper.

If that was the case, they'd have Texans listed for every available FS. Which they don't. OJ Attogwe is listed, and the Texans aren't listed as interested. They may not have put a reason, but usually they'll only list a team if theres something to link them, no matter how small

Brandon420tx
04-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Atogwe is available?

eriadoc
04-26-2010, 04:50 PM
I'd love for the Texans to show some interest in Darren Sharper. Even at his age, he's better than Wilson, and would pair well with Pollard, IMO. A nickel package of Sharper, Pollard, Reeves, Jackson, and Quin would be pretty good, I think.

Ole Miss Texan
04-26-2010, 04:59 PM
I would approve of this signing!

False Start
04-26-2010, 05:01 PM
I would approve of this signing!

So would I. The guy plays hard on every play, and can still get it done better than some of the other options the Texans have IMO.

MojoMan
04-26-2010, 05:03 PM
get it done!

Dutchrudder
04-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Atogwe is available?

Sort of. He was a RFA and the Rams had the rights to match any offer to him, but no one made an offer to him. Now Atogwe is in the twilight zone until June 1st after which he will become a free agent if he doesn't sign a new deal with the Rams. If he hits free agency, then we will likely be one of the teams in the running to get him, but probably won't pony up the 6-9 million per year he is expected to garner.

gtexan02
04-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Atogwe is available?

Apparently no one signed Atogwe to an offer sheet, but if the Rams don't sign him by June 1, he becomes a free agent. With that said, they still have a thing about who would be interested in signing him and it lists Miami as the team most likely to be interested

The deadline for other teams to sign restricted free agent Oshiomogho Atogwe to an offer sheet came and went quietly, and now we wait until June 1. On that date, if the St. Louis Rams haven't extended Atogwe, he will become an unrestricted free agent and is expected to generate massive offers.

Jackie Chiles
04-26-2010, 08:19 PM
The Texans have been attached to this ESPN Insider rumor since the first day of free agency because one of the writers threw us out there as needing a safety. They haven't bothered to remove us or any of the other teams listed.

GuerillaBlack
04-26-2010, 09:06 PM
I'd love for the Texans to show some interest in Darren Sharper. Even at his age, he's better than Wilson, and would pair well with Pollard, IMO. A nickel package of Sharper, Pollard, Reeves, Jackson, and Quin would be pretty good, I think.

Not to mention the experience from the Super Bowl run (which included the ability to close-out many games). He would be a great asset to our defense.

GP
04-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Not to mention the experience from the Super Bowl run (which included the ability to close-out many games). He would be a great asset to our defense.

Now THIS is a move that I would be thrilled with. :hurrah:

Faneca? Not so much. :kitten:

Sharper can handle his business, and would benefit TREMENDOUSLY from playing alongside a bruising slobber-knocker like Pollard. With those two guys roaming the deep secondary, and our CBs, and then the LB squad we put out there...we could have a really really good defense.

This is the move, for a safety, that absolutely should be made. He has crazy understanding of how to be in the right spots, and has so much background to draw upon.

If this deal could happen, I think it pushes us from 8-8 or 9-7 to easily 11-5 or even better.

Napa Auto Parts
04-27-2010, 02:35 AM
Whatever just what we need and AGING VET

painekiller
04-27-2010, 04:15 AM
I would be for this one.

as for the restricted free agents

Jun 1:
- Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned unrestricted free agents to receive exclusive negotiating rights for rest of the season if player is not signed by another club by July 22
- Deadline for old clubs to send tender to unsigned restricted free agents or to extend qualifying offer to retain exclusive negotiating rights
Jun 15: Deadline for old clubs to withdraw original qualifying offer to unsigned restricted free agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by submitting tender of 110 percent of previous year's salary
Jul 22:
- Trade Deadline for franchise players
- Deadline for unsigned RFA/ERFA to sign with new clubs

The restricted guys can not go any where unless their team gives up the right, and most teams will not let the restricted guy go.

ChampionTexan
04-27-2010, 09:03 AM
I would be for this one.

as for the restricted free agents

The restricted guys can not go any where unless their team gives up the right, and most teams will not let the restricted guy go.

The June 1st/15th deadlines require/allow the clubs to swap out the currently tendered salary amounts for 110% of the players 2009 salaries in order to retain their rights. In some cases this is a significant decrease (note that O.D. signed his tender last year on 6/15). In at least one case, O.J. Atogwe, the 110% will skyrocket the amount necessary to keep his rights to around $7 Million (he was playing under the franchise tag last year), and most folks question whether St. Louis is willing to offer that. This will make an interesting "one man" free agent period if St. Louis does in fact let him go.

Another mildly interesting item (emphasis on mildly) is that if O.D. doesn't sign his tender by 6/15, the amount necessary to keep his rights drops by just under $100,000. I doubt that's enough to force him to sign if he's really unhappy, but on the otherhand, if he's absolutely convinced that he's not going to come to terms on a long term deal this summer - it's still almost $100 grand you're essentially donating back to the Texans.

GP
04-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Whatever just what we need and AGING VET

Well I would rather have an aging vet who is THAT far from the line of scrimmage than to have Faneca who is going to be in the trenches down after down after down after down, well...you get the picture.

To me, Sharper and Faneca are not even in the same book when it comes to "aging vet."

Faneca is a self-centered prima donna who is looking to mount one more team for a big payday. He pulled this boo-hoo, poor-pitiful-me act with the Steelers, and now he's doing it with the Jets.

He sounds a bit unstable if you ask me. As if nobody remembers the way he left Pittsburgh? Hey Faneca, we see you out there...we see what you're doing. Peddle your sob story to someone else.

Him and Dunta should start a seminar circuit: How To Whine and Get Paid For It.

TexCanada
04-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Sharper would be a fantastic addition to this team, especially if it was a one year contract. He would be a great teacher to all of our young players in the secondary, and it would buy us one more year to find a FS prospect. Sharper and Pollard as starters with Wilson, Barber and Nolan as back-ups turns our safety position from a weakness to a strength. That being said, I think it is unlikely that we get him.

gtexan02
04-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Well I would rather have an aging vet who is THAT far from the line of scrimmage than to have Faneca who is going to be in the trenches down after down after down after down, well...you get the picture.

To me, Sharper and Faneca are not even in the same book when it comes to "aging vet."

Faneca is a self-centered prima donna who is looking to mount one more team for a big payday. He pulled this boo-hoo, poor-pitiful-me act with the Steelers, and now he's doing it with the Jets.

He sounds a bit unstable if you ask me. As if nobody remembers the way he left Pittsburgh? Hey Faneca, we see you out there...we see what you're doing. Peddle your sob story to someone else.

Agree 100% Sharper was instrumental last year in the Saints run. Fanaca was a weak link. I know which one I want

Ole Miss Texan
04-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Not to mention the opposing team in the SB was the Colts... a team I'd like us to beat twice, maybe three times a year!

steelbtexan
04-27-2010, 04:47 PM

Faneca was a leader on 2 OL's Steelers/Jets that were no.1 in the NFL in running the football. How well have the Steelers been able to run the football without Faneca? Did the Jets make it to the ACF Championship game with Faneca startin at LG? Who did Greene break that long run for a TD and Jones pick that crucial 4th and 1 running behind? Faneca

After the crap of an interior OL that the Texans put on the field. A 9 time pro bowl OG would be a welcome addition to the Texans. Faneca and Tate solves the short yardage problems the Texans had last year. In addition to Faneca providing leadership on the OL that the Texans have been lacking since their inception. IMHO

This is about Faneca getting paid and for the qualities mentioned above the Texans should pay him. (Not gonna happen) But I would welcome Faneca to the Texans with open arms.

NitroGSXR
04-27-2010, 04:52 PM
We will not sign either one. C'mon now... the Texans only sign journeymen FAs.

RazorOye
04-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Faneca is a self-centered prima donna

I had a class with the guy at LSU - when he bothered to show up. And this was pretty much my impression of him - not that I'd expect any different or that I wouldn't be a self-absorbed dbag if I knew I had millions waiting for me down the line (although I'd like to think I'd be a bit more decent than he was). I had classes with a few other LSU athletes but he was the biggest 'prima donna' of those I knew.

As for Sharper - the consensus in NO is that we'd like to have him back. We've made an offer that the Saints and Sharper's agent have called "fair" and word is it's a 3 year deal.

He's weighing that offer vs other teams and I can't say I blame him. Likely his last chance at money and if it takes him elsewhere, then so be it. I'll miss him but will be grateful for his time in NO in helping us win a Super Bowl.

In recent days there's been more talk, however, of his knee injury - that it might be a bit more severe than initially thought. It's all speculation at this point so who knows? But that speculation includes the potential impact that injury might have going forward.

I'd love to have him in NO if - as most people think - we might be looking to groom Malcolm Jenkins as our FS of the future since the front office is hopeful we found our nickle/dime CB option in the first round of this year's draft.

He'd be an asset to any team whose scheme features his skillset. I'm not sure how many - if any - would do that better than what Williams allowed him to do in New Orleans, but best of luck to him. He'll need the right situation or he's going to be exposed. He was this year at times when our top corners were out (Porter and/or Greer depending on the game) and he was called into coverage service rather than reading and roaming the center of the field.

BIG TORO
04-27-2010, 09:51 PM
lets try for this guy, I at least want one free agent this off season!

eriadoc
04-27-2010, 09:57 PM

Get used to disappointment.

JB
04-27-2010, 10:24 PM

You got Wade Smith, that will probably have to do it bud.

HoustonFrog
04-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Looks like Jags or Cowboys

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5142146

Nearly two months after the NFL's free-agent signing period kicked off, New Orleans' Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper is taking his first visit this offseason.

Sharper is scheduled to visit the Jacksonville Jaguars on Wednesday, according to a league source. Jacksonville did not draft a safety last weekend, and Sharper is searching for another opportunity aside from the one he already has in New Orleans.

If Jacksonville fails to sign him, don't be surprised if Dallas does.

The Cowboys also did not draft a safety last weekend and they released Ken Hamlin before the draft. Dallas is known to be eyeing Sharper.

The Cowboys would like to weaken the defending Super Bowl champion Saints while strengthening themselves.

infantrycak
04-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Dude is 36 years old and somebody is going to overpay him and then be surprised when he ends up with 1 INT next year.

HoustonFrog
04-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Dude is 36 years old and somebody is going to overpay him and then be surprised when he ends up with 1 INT next year.

I'm not sure how this is going to work out. There wasn't a rush to overpay him top start. Now you go targeted teams with a need who may overpay a little but I doubt he gets the years and thus any real big cap hit. If there is any year to maybe overpay a little it might be this one. I'm not sure what the Jags did in the off season but the Cowboys basically signed no one and weren't even active, except on some of their own basic FAs. I can see a 2 year deal with some incentives. I van actually see some visits and the Saints, if anyone, overpaying a little to keep him.

Section516
04-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Need to pull another Rackers ninja signing. Not my money we'd be using..Wilson+Sharper would do fine till we don't draft a FS in 2011.

HoustonFrog
04-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Jax bringing in Darren Sharper for a visit, then to be visiting Cowboys.

Above

eriadoc
04-28-2010, 11:48 AM

I agree with that, actually. But I still want to see the Texans do their due diligence. Bring him in for a visit, express interest, see where his head's at, and if the price is too high, say thanks but no thanks. Instead, the Texans show no interest in guys we assume will be high priced, and then we see some team grab them for a song. It's annoying, irrespective of Sharper specifically.

GP
04-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Sharper would not have the impact on the Jags like he would on OUR defense. The Jags are behind, IMO, in the area of defense. He'd be a waste on that team because he would have to be calle dupon to make too many plays on his own.

And the Cowboys are looking at him for reasons that the Texans should be: Because Sharper can have an impact if he's on the right defense that needs a savvy, deep secondary player like Sharper.

We're not after him. I bet he lands with the Cowboys.

infantrycak
04-28-2010, 11:56 AM
I agree with that, actually. But I still want to see the Texans do their due diligence. Bring him in for a visit, express interest, see where his head's at, and if the price is too high, say thanks but no thanks. Instead, the Texans show no interest in guys we assume will be high priced, and then we see some team grab them for a song. It's annoying, irrespective of Sharper specifically.

Really? - what was the title of the thread?

Txn_in_FL
04-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Sharper would not have the impact on the Jags like he would on OUR defense. The Jags are a horse's behind, IMO, in the area of defense. He'd be a waste on that team because he would have to be calle dupon to make too many plays on his own.

And the Cowboys are looking at him for reasons that the Texans should be: Because Sharper can have an impact if he's on the right defense that needs a savvy, deep secondary player like Sharper.

We're not after him. I bet he lands with the Cowboys.

Fixed.

BullNation4Life
04-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Apparently no one signed Atogwe to an offer sheet, but if the Rams don't sign him by June 1, he becomes a free agent. With that said, they still have a thing about who would be interested in signing him and it lists Miami as the team most likely to be interested

I think June 1st is what the Texans are waiting for. there should be some good to very good talent released then.Mostly due to money issues than degenerating talent....

eriadoc
04-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Really? - what was the title of the thread?

Texans rumored to have interest. In my world, showing interest means there is a confirmed report of a conversation and/or visit. I know it's asking for a lot, but the Texans know how to work the media when they want.

infantrycak
04-28-2010, 01:13 PM
I think June 1st is what the Texans are waiting for. there should be some good to very good talent released then.Mostly due to money issues than degenerating talent....

There is no benefit to a June 1st cut this year. The entire point of that is to spread cap hit and there is no cap this year.

Texans rumored to have interest. In my world, showing interest means there is a confirmed report of a conversation and/or visit. I know it's asking for a lot, but the Texans know how to work the media when they want.

The Texans are a very quiet organization. You aren't going to get all the behind the scenes info. A rumor for them is about all you are going to get.

Second Honeymoon
04-28-2010, 01:17 PM

Why? Why should that probably have to do it? We have holes in our roster, BIG HOLES. Why can't we get Free Agents to help our team and fill holes like other teams?

Oh that's right. I know why. Never mind.

If you have another reason not to get Sharper, or an actual NFL quality Center, or someone like Henderson who could help our DL, then let me know.

Bottom line is that Sharper, Henderson, or even Faneca improve this team. Why wouldn't you make the move if it improves the team? The only reason is because the owner is too cheap to pay what it takes to bring quality players in. He did decent last year brining Smith in, but this year has been pure crickets.

Sharper isn't a luxury Free Agent signing. it is a needed signing and if we had gone after him last year, like we should have, we would have made the playoffs and/or even more.

I just wish, one time, one of the Sunshine Kids would admit that we aren't going after these guys because we don't want to spend the money that it will take to do so. There is just a laundry list of excuses on why we aren't making runs at these guys. I am sick of the 'we have been burned before' excuse or the 'that guy is too old' excuse or 'McNair is our savior. You wouldn't have football without him'...like he donated the money for the Texans philanthrophically and all profits are going to an orphanage. Just admit it. McNair has shown he isn't willing to spend the money to bring top Free Agents here.

McNair has shown that he is more concerned about profit margins than Wins and Losses. The guy is calling for a bailout for crying out loud...and when we don't have football in 2011 you can thank McNair to a large extent. When billionaires call bailout, i call bullsh*t. But if you want to keep acting like McNair donated the team to the city and that we should worship at his altar, that is fine. Just don't cry to me when we are 7-9 next year or worse like everyone did when people finally pulled their head out of their ass and realized just how much David Carr sucked.

McNair, step up and bring one of these guys in, preferably Sharper. If you don't, all you will have done is proven that you are a mediocre owner of a mediocre team that won't pay what it takes to take the next step. 7-9 in 2010 if we are lucky if they continue to sit on their thumbs and rotate. But go ahead and build through the draft by drafting more tightends. Build through the draft my ass. That is codeword for 'be cheap and hope for the best'.

Second Honeymoon
04-28-2010, 01:25 PM

you probably said 'Dude is 35 years old and somebody is going to overpay him and then be surprised when he ends up with 1 INT next year' in a post last year, icak. Last time I checked, he did pretty good and won a ring...and they don't win the ring without him. But whatever, keep rolling out garbage and you get garbage, Texans. Do you really want to see Busing in a Texans uniform again? That was one of the lowest moments of my life as a Texans fan. That guy made Matt Stevens look like Ronnie Lott.
(editors note: sorry Matt, hope you recover fully one day....but you were total pants at FS)

We aren't looking for a longterm fix. For crying out loud, there probably wont even be a 2011 season. how about we worry about winning now before we start trying to have the perfect situation or winning 3 or 4 years down the road. How about we win now? is that too much to ask? is that so wrong?

everyone around here is so afraid to actually try and win. everyone just wants to draft more tightends while huge holes in our roster remain woefull unfilled and/or inadequate.

You want happy fans? try drafting or signing a Center that isn't a pile of crap like Chris Myers is. try drafting or signing a FS that actually has some promise and ability. try drafting or signing someone besides a TE. try not letting your #1 CB leave for nothing and then act like a rookie and a 2nd year guy or just magically going to be a championship caliber secondary. I bet Manning is salivating at the bit and just can't wait to face our pathetic secondary. You thought it was bad last year? haha, just wait till people realize what they lost in Dunta, especially with another year of recovery from his injury. Trust me, I blame Dunta for him leaving but sometimes you have to put personal feelings aside and do whats best for the team, Rick. We needed Dunta but we felt it was more important to put that money back into McNairs pocket. One thing is for sure, we didn't spend it on bringing in anyone to replace him. Profit wins.

I was happy with the 1st 2 days of the draft, but if this draft is somehow supposed to make us forget about free agency and our lack of activity/success, you can forget it. I will continue to hold Smithiak and ultimately McNair for our lack of activity and success in using all the tools available to improve our team. They have failed to do so.

JB
04-28-2010, 01:25 PM

Why? Why should that probably have to do it? We have holes in our roster, BIG HOLES. Why can't we get Free Agents to help our team and fill holes like other teams?

Oh that's right. I know why. Never mind.

If you have another reason not to get Sharper, or an actual NFL quality Center, or someone like Henderson who could help our DL, then let me know.

Bottom line is that Sharper, Henderson, or even Faneca improve this team. Why wouldn't you make the move if it improves the team? The only reason is because the owner is too cheap to pay what it takes to bring quality players in. He did decent last year brining Smith in, but this year has been pure crickets.

Sharper isn't a luxury Free Agent signing. it is a needed signing and if we had gone after him last year, like we should have, we would have made the playoffs and/or even more.

I just wish, one time, one of the Sunshine Kids would admit that we aren't going after these guys because we don't want to spend the money that it will take to do so. There is just a laundry list of excuses on why we aren't making runs at these guys. I am sick of the 'we have been burned before' excuse or the 'that guy is too old' excuse or 'McNair is our savior. You wouldn't have football without him'...like he donated the money for the Texans philanthrophically and all profits are going to an orphanage. Just admit it. McNair has shown he isn't willing to spend the money to bring top Free Agents here.

McNair has shown that he is more concerned about profit margins than Wins and Losses. The guy is calling for a bailout for crying out loud...and when we don't have football in 2011 you can thank McNair to a large extent. When billionaires call bailout, i call bullsh*t. But if you want to keep acting like McNair donated the team to the city and that we should worship at his altar, that is fine. Just don't cry to me when we are 7-9 next year or worse like everyone did when people finally pulled their head out of their ass and realized just how much David Carr sucked.

McNair, step up and bring one of these guys in, preferably Sharper. If you don't, all you will have done is proven that you are a mediocre owner of a mediocre team that won't pay what it takes to take the next step. 7-9 in 2010 if we are lucky if they continue to sit on their thumbs and rotate. But go ahead and build through the draft by drafting more tightends. Build through the draft my ass. That is codeword for 'be cheap and hope for the best'.

I was not saying we did not need to sign anyone else, just that we probably would not.

OzzO
04-28-2010, 01:35 PM
...If you have another reason not to get Sharper, or an actual NFL quality Center, or someone like Henderson who could help our DL, then let me know.

Bottom line is that Sharper, Henderson, or even Faneca improve this team. Why wouldn't you make the move if it improves the team? The only reason is because the owner is too cheap to pay what it takes to bring quality players in. He did decent last year brining Smith in, but this year has been pure crickets.....

Man, you're gonna explode... he's already mentioned (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6059)they'll pretty much build through the draft with the occasional FA signing and since he, Kubiak, and Smith are on the same page with this, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Typically, what I believe, and I think (head coach) Gary (Kubiak) and (general manager) Rick (Smith) feel the same way, typically what you see in the free agent market is a person that's had their best contract year, period. Maybe two or three years. But they've gone through their prime, they're at their peak, and if anything they might be beyond their peak at the time their contract expires and they're available. So when you go out and sign one of these players, you run the risk of paying them more than anyone else in the league will pay them, that's the only reason you got them, and they've started going downhill. And so you've tied up a lot of your dollars in a player that's not going to be as productive and that leaves you fewer dollars then to go out at work with younger players. So that's why we typically don't do that.....

....We believe in building through the draft. And I think you (Houston Chronicle) did an article on how the Colts put their roster together and how the Saints put theirs together, and I've looked at that and compared it with our roster and they're very similar, with the exception that the Saints signed more unrestricted agents than either the Colts or we have. But in terms of draft picks, I think we had 14 starters that came from the draft and that's what the Colts had, and I think the Saints have 12. So that gives you a pretty good idea of where we are. But we believe you have to build through the draft, and we'll continue doing that."

Just maintain and let's see how they use these drafted players (and any others they may acquire) in the upcoming season. Then we can also see if these "can't miss" FA's that the Texans passed on live up to their billing - if they do, then we can pile on.

gtexan02
04-28-2010, 01:43 PM

He's 34 year old

gary
04-28-2010, 05:02 PM
I think he has a few good years left in him.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2010, 11:12 PM
I think he has a few good years left in him.

It's so hard to tell. When guys are done, sometimes they go down hil really fast. (Sometimes, not. But sometimes, they do.)

gtexan02
04-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Down to us, Washington, Jacksonville, and Saints according to ESPN rumor mill. Dallas isn't interested "right now"

Update: ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported on Wednesday morning that the Jacksonville Jaguars would be Darren Sharper's first visit, and he writes that if the Jags don't reach an agreement with him, the Cowboys will be waiting in the wings. But late Wednesday night, a report emerged from ESPNDallas.com that the Cowboys aren't interested in Sharper "right now." The key words there are "right now," meaning that the team could become interested at some point soon.

Looking back at our past set of Sharper rumors, we can cross some teams off the list right away, given the high draft choices used on safeties. This would include the Philadelphia Eagles, Kansas City Chiefs and the Chicago Bears. Two other teams used later-round picks on the position, as the San Diego Chargers added Darrell Stuckey in the fourth, and the Miami Dolphins added Reshad Jones in the fifth. It's unknown whether those Day 3 picks will necessarily prevent Sharper from signing in San Diego or Miami.

For now, that would leave the Washington Redskins, Houston Texans, Dallas Cowboys and, of course, the Saints as some options for the possible 2010 home for Sharper.

Same link as first

gary
04-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Will he even be visiting the Texans?

gary
04-29-2010, 02:13 PM
He has left a visit with the Jags without a contract via Twitter.

Ryan
04-29-2010, 02:16 PM
He has left a visit with the Jags without a contract via Twitter.

They were dissapointed when they found out he wasn't a defensive tackle.

gary
04-29-2010, 02:17 PM
I hope he at least visits Houston.

Carr Bombed
05-02-2010, 06:42 PM
http://whodatdish.com/2010/05/02/new-orleans-saints-darren-sharper-may-have-a-contract-finalized-with-the-jaguars-by-monday/

New Orleans Saints: Darren Sharper May Have A Contract Finalized With The Jaguars By Monday

Saints free agent safety Darren Sharper wrapped up a visit with the Jacksonville Jaguars early this week after a two day visit with the club.
Sharper of course is looking to land a more lucrative contract than what the Saints have offered after an impressive 2009-2010 season and at 34 years old is hoping to secure his last big pay day.
The Saints are rumored to have offered him a two year deal for 6M but Sharper has been rumored to want a three year deal for close to 5M a year, neither side appears willing to budge.
Sharper has been recovering from minor knee surgery this off-season he described as a clean out procedure to help alleviate a nagging swelling issue which caused him to miss some playing time, shying away most teams.
The Jaguars apparently are not concerned with the knee and saw enough of Sharper to make a contract offer which apparently could be finalized as early as tomorrow according to several Internet reports.
Del Rio and the Jags have had major issues at the safety position after the loss of Gerald Sensabaugh to the Dallas Cowboys in free agency before the start of last season ranking 27th against the pass while trying out two different starters.
Sharper represents a giant upgrade in their secondary, one which they 0nbiously may be willing to pay greatly to get.
Nothing is official or has been finalized but the Saints are prepared to move on without Sharper if he does sign elsewhere by most likely moving corner Malcolm Jenkins to free safety after drafting Florida State corner Patrick Robinson with the teams first pick in this years draft.

Okay I'm starting to get pissed about our activity or lack of activity in FA. I've been patient, but it's hard to not get annoyed when the worst team in your division is even looking to make FA splashes. Houston is right on the cusp of becoming a very good team. Sharper would be the perfect signing for them and if they let him go to a divisional rival I'm going to be pissed.

awtysst
05-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Eh, I am not sure Sharper is the right person we need.

Carr Bombed
05-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Eh, I am not sure Sharper is the right person we need.

Yep, we don't need a guy who's been one of the best safeties where ever he's gone. He only had 9 interceptions last year and we only play a schedule that's loaded with top tier passing attacks. Next season we're going to be starting a rookie and possibly a second year player at corner. Sharper's experience is exactly what we need back there.

JB
05-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Yep, we don't need a guy who's been one of the best safeties where ever he's gone. He only had 9 interceptions last year and we only play a schedule that's loaded with top tier passing attacks. Next season we're going to be starting a rookie and possibly a second year player at corner. Sharper's experience is exactly what we need back there.

Totally agree with this^^^^^

This is the time to add a vet leader and Sharper fits the bill to a t

must spread rep

gg no re
05-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Yep, we don't need a guy who's been one of the best safeties where ever he's gone.

Well, he's been one of the best if you discount the opinion of Packer fans and their memory of 4th and 26.

thunderkyss
05-02-2010, 08:39 PM
I just wish, one time, one of the Sunshine Kids would admit that we aren't going after these guys because we don't want to spend the money that it will take to do so.

McNair has shown that he is more concerned about profit margins than Wins and Losses.

Frank Okam lives somewhere in Houston. At least during the season. If you could, please find him, and give him a shot of whatever it is you're taking every now and then. Your passion and enthusiasm is truly inspiring.

That said, I think McNair has shown time and again, that money is no object. Coach says that's the guy I need, and he opens the vault. Look at all the over-priced contracts from the Capers regime, look at Weaver's contract, look at Smith's contract, look at what we're paying Reeves to be our 3rd CB.

I don't think money is the issue. Kubiak/Smith just don't want him.

Sign Sharper, cut Wilson... if they feel so good about Barber/Nolan, what are we loosing? I agree with you in so much as getting Sharper on our team, if for nothing else, so another team don't get him.

But Sharper seems like a sharp (no pun intended) guy. I remember what he said in an interview before the Saints played the Vikings. He knows he's getting up there in years, but he knows he's got some football left in him. He knows he came off a great season, but I don't think he's trying to break the bank.

We'll see Monday, if the Jags sign him.

But, the Saints were desperate for a safety last year, and that is the only reason they signed him. They aren't too interested in signing him now. Interest in Sharper was slow, and now he's been around... he's waiting for the Jags to call him back.

The Jags.

Maybe it's possible, that they all know something we don't know.

Carr Bombed
05-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Frank Okam lives somewhere in Houston. At least during the season. If you could, please find him, and give him a shot of whatever it is you're taking every now and then. Your passion and enthusiasm is truly inspiring.

That said, I think McNair has shown time and again, that money is no object. Coach says that's the guy I need, and he opens the vault. Look at all the over-priced contracts from the Capers regime, look at Weaver's contract, look at Smith's contract, look at what we're paying Reeves to be our 3rd CB.

I don't think money is the issue. Kubiak/Smith just don't want him.

Sign Sharper, cut Wilson... if they feel so good about Barber/Nolan, what are we loosing? I agree with you in so much as getting Sharper on our team, if for nothing else, so another team don't get him.

But Sharper seems like a sharp (no pun intended) guy. I remember what he said in an interview before the Saints played the Vikings. He knows he's getting up there in years, but he knows he's got some football left in him. He knows he came off a great season, but I don't think he's trying to break the bank.

We'll see Monday, if the Jags sign him.

But, the Saints were desperate for a safety last year, and that is the only reason they signed him. They aren't too interested in signing him now. Interest in Sharper was slow, and now he's been around... he's waiting for the Jags to call him back.

The Jags.

Maybe it's possible, that they all know something we don't know.

They already have a offer on the table for him.

infantrycak
05-02-2010, 09:00 PM

Great example of a scheme guy. Yeah he had 9 INTs last year. And the three years before that he had a total of 9 as well. Some team is going to sign him to a 2 year 8-9 mil contract and regret it greatly.

CloakNNNdagger
05-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Not to mention the opposing team in the SB was the Colts... a team I'd like us to beat twice, maybe three times a year!

Just off the press ESPN: (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5156537)Jaguars GM in talks with Saints' Sharper

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jacksonville general manager Gene Smith said he remains in conversations that could bring veteran safety Darren Sharper, who starred for Super Bowl champs New Orleans last season, to the Jaguars.

"Darren I think had an exceptional visit here," Smith said. "He sees a great fit, a great opportunity with an ascending team. I'm confident that we can be good for each other."

Joel Segal, who represents Sharper, did not return an email from ESPN.com.

steelbtexan
05-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Great example of a scheme guy. Yeah he had 9 INTs last year. And the three years before that he had a total of 9 as well. Some team is going to sign him to a 2 year 8-9 mil contract and regret it greatly.

Agreed

But the inactivity in FA speaks volumes.

They drafted Mitchell to replace Okam. They should sign Henderson to bring nastiness and vet leadership to the DL.

Honoring Earl 34
05-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Agreed

But the inactivity in FA speaks volumes.

They drafted Mitchell to replace Okam. They should sign Henderson to bring nastiness and vet leadership to the DL.

I was listening to 610 sports this evening and ND Kalu said he prefered a big run stuffer DT along with a quick DT . He also thinks that Amobi's biggest problem is that he's got to many irons in the fire . That he needs to be like Cushing and live and breathe football . He says Amobi is talented , just not focussed .

ChampionTexan
05-03-2010, 05:04 PM
It appears he did to the Jags what Bodden did to us...

Well, the New Orleans Saints have gotten some good news.

Safety Darren Sharper is returning.

Per a league source, Sharper will sign a one-year deal. His primary goal, we're told, is to pursue another championship.

He also was pursued by the Jaguars. It's unknown whether the Jags offered more money, or whether the Saints increased the offer that had been on the table for several weeks.

LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/03/darren-sharper-stays-with-the-saints/)

badboy
05-03-2010, 05:09 PM
I was listening to 610 sports this evening and ND Kalu said he prefered a big run stuffer DT along with a quick DT . He also thinks that Amobi's biggest problem is that he's got to many irons in the fire . That he needs to be like Cushing and live and breathe football . He says Amobi is talented , just not focussed .Amobi man of the year> than pro bowl?

BIG TORO
05-03-2010, 05:11 PM
I was listening to 610 sports this evening and ND Kalu said he prefered a big run stuffer DT along with a quick DT . He also thinks that Amobi's biggest problem is that he's got to many irons in the fire . That he needs to be like Cushing and live and breathe football . He says Amobi is talented , just not focussed .

What else does Amobi have going?

dalemurphy
05-03-2010, 05:15 PM

I'm not as frustrated with Amobi's poor play as I am the coaching staff for starting and playing him ahead of guys like Deljuan. Not only that, but Amobi never rotated out of the game last year. He played almost every freakin' down. I just don't get that!

CloakNNNdagger
05-03-2010, 09:23 PM
You wonder how much we missed out by not going after Sharper. ESPN just revealed that the scoping that he underwent in February was not a simple scope.........it was microfracture surgery. The recovery may be quite prolonged compared to a typical meniscus procedure. And the long term implications are unknown since the extent of damage has not been revealed. Certainly, it then becomes no surprise that the Saints penned him to a 1 year deal.

thunderkyss
05-03-2010, 10:03 PM
You wonder how much we missed out by not going after Sharper. ESPN just revealed that the scoping that he underwent in February was not a simple scope.........it was microfracture surgery. The recovery may be quite prolonged compared to a typical meniscus procedure. And the long term implications are unknown since the extent of damage has not been revealed. Certainly, it then becomes no surprise that the Saints penned him to a 1 year deal.

I doubt we missed out on much. He was probably never going to sign with anyone, unless they were stupid with the offer. Anything reasonable, New Orleans probably would have matched.

awtysst
05-03-2010, 10:38 PM

That likely explains why he did not get a BIG multiyear contract elsewhere.

El Tejano
05-04-2010, 08:56 AM

These are the kind of reasons the Texans are taking the "learn from our Ahman Green mistake" approach.

GP
05-04-2010, 09:37 AM
What else does Amobi have going?

I think he goes back to Nigeria and lends a hand with humanitarian efforts.

Not a bad thing, obviously, but I can see why some say he isn't "as" focused on football as maybe a guy like Cushing who probably schedules everything according to how it helps him play better (i.e. MMA training).

In short: Amobi sees football as only one portion of his life, and Cushing sees football as THE only thing in life. At least that's my take on it.

CloakNNNdagger
05-04-2010, 12:18 PM
I doubt we missed out on much. He was probably never going to sign with anyone, unless they were stupid with the offer. Anything reasonable, New Orleans probably would have matched.

The Jags offered him more than the Saints.......but supposedly not that much more......he wanted to stay with the Saints.

steelbtexan
05-04-2010, 01:06 PM
These are the kind of reasons the Texans are taking the "learn from our Ahman Green mistake" approach.

Which is a good aproach to take in this case. Paying a 35 yr old S coming off microfracture surgery is a bad gamble. IMHO

steelbtexan
05-04-2010, 01:18 PM
I think he goes back to Nigeria and lends a hand with humanitarian efforts.

Not a bad thing, obviously, but I can see why some say he isn't "as" focused on football as maybe a guy like Cushing who probably schedules everything according to how it helps him play better (i.e. MMA training).

In short: Amobi sees football as only one portion of his life, and Cushing sees football as THE only thing in life. At least that's my take on it.

Which is why they need to get what they can for AO as soon as they can. That type of attitude (not a bad one,isn't what I want in a player on my team) isn't going to change.

Blake
05-04-2010, 01:33 PM
This is why I think we should have packaged our 3rd and 4th and take Morgan Burnett. So we dont have to worry about an expensive Eugene Wilson backup.