PDA

View Full Version : More Free Agent's?

WolverineFan
04-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Alan Faneca was cut yesterday by the Jets and it seems the Jags will cut John Henderson today. Darren Sharper is still out there. If we could get one of these guys then I will be extremely happy with this offseason. I'm already happy, but making one of these moves would put me over the top.

1) Henderson
- Could fill the hole at 1' tech and is a better fit than Cody
2) Faneca
- Would upgrade the overall talent in the interior and most likely start
3) Sharper
- Would be an upgrade over Wilson although he has 2 years left max

Any of these guys would upgrade a "need" position and the overall talent on the team. Right now it seems we are interested in Faneca and Henderson has not been officially released yet. Sharper has been a FA for months and we haven't contacted him so that doesn't seem likely at all. Faneca seems like the most likely possibility although I'm interested to see how the FO would treat the Henderson situation if he is indeed cut.

Ole Miss Texan
04-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Faneca, to me, fits what Smith/McNair/Kubiak aren't looking for in a FA. A veteran player, past his prime and on the decline. With that said, he got $5MM from the Jets with his release and he may not be looking for another payday (speculation). Apparently he's from Houston? Lives in Louisiana? So I could see him just wanting to play... START for another couple years and be close to home. I wouldn't want to sign him to anything crazy but this would be a signing I would get on board with (I prefer younger guys reaching their peak vs decline). He would upgrade our OL which would in turn make our depth better. I think we'd be a better team with Faneca, we'd have a better chance to make the playoffs and therefor would like this signing.

Corrosion
04-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Faneca, to me, fits what Smith/McNair/Kubiak aren't looking for in a FA. A veteran player, past his prime and on the decline. With that said, he got $5MM from the Jets with his release and he may not be looking for another payday (speculation). Apparently he's from Houston? Lives in Louisiana? So I could see him just wanting to play... START for another couple years and be close to home. I wouldn't want to sign him to anything crazy but this would be a signing I would get on board with (I prefer younger guys reaching their peak vs decline). He would upgrade our OL which would in turn make our depth better. I think we'd be a better team with Faneca, we'd have a better chance to make the playoffs and therefor would like this signing.

I agree he fits the description of players the Texans arent looking for.

From the reports Ive read money is a big part of why he's no longer a Jet. They wanted him to take a pay cut and when he refused got cut instead. There is $5Mil guaranteed from the Jets that the Jets will pay him .... but I cant see him playing for the vet min. I think he'll want at least 3-4 years and heavy money.

I'd sign the guy for the right price .... But I dont see that happening.

HuttoKarl
04-26-2010, 10:42 AM
I'd say go after Sharper, but I have a feeling his price tag is going to be somewhat silly.

I'm thinking see if Nolan can come back healthy or let Sherrick Mc"the Man"is give it a whirl with Eugene in a training camp battle royale.

leebigeztx
04-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Henderson and faneca would be perfect and put the texans in the playoffs.

They can say faneca declined, but look at the tough yards on the ground they got and they came from behind him. The year prior, when they started running G-Power, the running game tooks off. Henderson , in bewteen mario and amobi would be golden. All this no 30 and over players is bs. You have to look at the guys injury history and play. I like young guys too, but if they dont step up, get a vet who can get the job done.

ObsiWan
04-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Dudes, I wanted Sharper LAST YEAR! With all the youngsters we have in our secondary, who better for them to learn from? Not to mention, he's still got some gas left in his tank so I think he is just as capable, physically, as Eugene Wilson.

I believe Faneca would be an immediate upgrade in the middle of the O-line. I can't think of a guard on our roster that would beat him out... can you?

Henderson is kind of a question mark for me. With J-ville's lack of pass rush, why cut a productive player? - he led them in sacks last year - okay, it was just 3 but he still led them. Is it Jacksonville being cheap or did Henderson and JDR have a falling out?

And that's pretty much the order I'd try and sign them. Sharper, Faneca, then Henderson. Signing all three for a couple of years each would make us competitive in the division. Meanwhile, we use those two drafts to snag their replacements.

Second Honeymoon
04-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Dudes, I wanted Sharper LAST YEAR! With all the youngsters we have in our secondary, who better for them to learn from? Not to mention, he's still got some gas left in his tank so I think he is just as capable, physically, as Eugene Wilson.

I believe Faneca would be an immediate upgrade in the middle of the O-line. I can't think of a guard on our roster that would beat him out... can you?

Henderson is kind of a question mark for me. With J-ville's lack of pass rush, why cut a productive player? - he led them in sacks last year - okay, it was just 3 but he still led them. Is it Jacksonville being cheap or did Henderson and JDR have a falling out?

And that's pretty much the order I'd try and sign them. Sharper, Faneca, then Henderson. Signing all three for a couple of years each would make us competitive in the division. Meanwhile, we use those two drafts to snag their replacements.

I would probably rather have Sharper than Faneco or Henderson, but I would take any of the three. i would probably put it in this order

1. sharper
2. henderson
3. faneca

i just think we may have the best chance at faneca because Sharper, i feel, is going to be a Saint in the end, henderson is going to get some really attractive offers, and Faneca has local ties.

dinkatoid
04-26-2010, 11:42 AM

I am obviously not an expert, but from what I have heard/read, he is still an excellent run blocker, but has struggled big time in pass protection. If that is the case, he would not be a great fit for us.

CloakNNNdagger
04-28-2010, 09:52 PM
You want instant NASTY. With Henderson, you get instant Nasty....and he can still move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ7eLCjLCus

gary
04-28-2010, 09:56 PM
i would love to have Henderson here.

Texan_Bill
04-28-2010, 10:09 PM
The Texans are too cheap, and Bob McNair is such a lousy owner to pursue the likes of Henderson...

Dripping, sopping wet in :sarcasm:

Big Poundcake
04-28-2010, 11:28 PM
Yes to Henderson and Sharper.

Also yes to Veteran's CB Dre Bly and Center Kevin Mawae too please.

JB
04-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Yes to Henderson and Sharper.

Also yes to Veteran's CB Dre Bly and Center Kevin Mawae too please.

Maybe on the three, but no thanks to Bly

Joe Texan
04-29-2010, 12:21 AM
Bill put down the bottle and come back to reality

wagonhed
04-29-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm basically in love with Jon Henderson. Please sign him.

AnthonyE
04-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Maybe on the three, but no thanks to Bly
I thought Bly turned 50 this past year?

EDIT: Lol, he's only 32.

Hoss
04-29-2010, 01:22 AM
I thought Bly turned 50 this past year?

EDIT: Lol, he's only 32.

O_O lol