PDA

View Full Version : Texans express interest in LG Faneca [CHRON]-signs with Arizona

nero THE zero
04-21-2010, 07:50 AM
(Rotoworld) Beat writer Rich Cimini, now writing for ESPNNewYork.com, reports the Jets have been "quietly shopping" LG Alan Faneca for weeks.

Analysis: Confirming Michael Lombardi's earlier report, Cimini says Faneca could be released if a trade partner can't be found during the draft. The Jets would be eating quite a bit of salary, as Faneca is guaranteed $5.25 million this year. The Jets are believed to covet Idaho's Mike Iupati and Florida's Maurkice Pouncey, and could trade up to snag one of them. Faneca's fate would then be sealed.

El Tejano
04-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Get on the phone Rick.

HoustonFrog
04-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Get on the phone Rick.

No way. The guy is 34 and on the decline. There is a report on ESPN Insider about how his stats were bad last year. Something like 7 sacks, 3 hurries and 10 blown blocks.

HuttoKarl
04-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Faneca's done...age caught up with him.

b0ng
04-21-2010, 02:03 PM
No way. The guy is 34 and on the decline. There is a report on ESPN Insider about how his stats were bad last year. Something like 7 sacks, 3 hurries and 10 blown blocks.

Yes get on the phone and bring him in for a reduced price. If the Jets want top round picks then screw them, but if we can give up a 6th for Faneca I will take it and let him battle for the LG spot (I bet he'd win it too).

kiwitexansfan
04-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Pass.

Dutchrudder
04-21-2010, 05:47 PM
http://www.employeerightspost.com/uploads/image/too_old_for_your_gadget.jpg

Big Poundcake
04-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Yes Please.

Carr Bombed
04-22-2010, 06:08 PM
I remember when everybody thought Kevin Mawae was too old when Tenn got him.

If the price is right, I'd take Faneca

ArlingtonTexan
04-24-2010, 07:19 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

It seems that where there was smoke there was fire concerning Alan Faneca's future with the New York Jets.

Manish Mehta of the Newark Star-Ledger is reporting that the team will formally announce the veteran guard's release on Monday. Reports surfaced early last week that Faneca could be on the way out of Rex Ryan's clubhouse and picked up steam through the first two days of the draft.

The Jets were shopping Faneca for a trade, but the $7.5 million they didn't want to pay him was likely a deterrent for other teams as well. With $5.25 million of that contract guaranteed, the Jets clearly don't think Faneca's presence is necessary for them to make a run back to the AFC Championship Game and beyond.

Massachusetts offensive lineman Vladimir Ducasse was the team's second-round pick, another signal that a change was coming, and when G.M. Mike Tannenbaum spoke with reporters Friday night he didn't do much to throw anyone off the scent.

"Alan's on our team. He's done a lot of great things for us. I know this weekend that there's typically a lot of transactions that happen, but he's on our team and Alan's done a lot of great things for us."

The past tense would appear to be the only tense for Faneca and the Jets going forward.

Errant Hothy
04-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Eissen on NFLN is reporting that Faneca will be released on Monday.

treduke
04-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Do it! Do it!

ArlingtonTexan
04-24-2010, 12:11 PM
The Jets fans I know say he has not been good as a pass blaocker, but still pretty good as a run blocker. Overall, overrated and not as good as his reputation.

JB
04-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Eissen on NFLN is reporting that Faneca will be released on Monday.

Schefter reporting Faneca cut

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

False Start
04-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Hes not the player he used to be, so I wouldn't be in favor of signing this guy.

Texans34Life
04-24-2010, 05:36 PM
#McClain_on_NFL

I magine the Texans will show interest in G Alan Faneca after the Jets cut him. He's from Houston. He's 33. I bet he'd like to play at home. 35 minutes ago via web

Goldensilence
04-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Aging Alan Faneca > Studdard and Chris White. Not sure on how Brisiel will do after his injury but, even then Mike is never going to be anything but an average starter at best.

Big Poundcake
04-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Yes to Faneca please.

ChampionTexan
04-25-2010, 01:17 PM
The Jets fans I know say he has not been good as a pass blaocker, but still pretty good as a run blocker. Overall, overrated and not as good as his reputation.

And with us being a pass first team (in reality if not lip service), how ironic would it be if the veteran stud brought in to help the O-line ended up being the one to get Schaub killed?

nero THE zero
04-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Aging Alan Faneca > Studdard and Chris White. Not sure on how Brisiel will do after his injury but, even then Mike is never going to be anything but an average starter at best.

It's hard to imagine Smith was brought in here for the kind of money he was to be a back-up. If Faneca is signed here, that'd pretty much cement an interior of:

Faneca - Smith - Caldwell

Unless Caldwell can't win the RG spot, which would be very bad news.

b0ng
04-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Source (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6975529.html)

The Texans are interested in guard Alan Faneca, who was released by the New York Jets on Saturday.

The 33-year-old Faneca, who played at Lamar Consolidated High School, is a nine-time Pro Bowl player who spent his first 10 years with Pittsburgh and the last two with the Jets.

I'm fine with it.

JB
04-25-2010, 06:02 PM
I am fine with it also. He has suffered in pass pro recently, but still a good run blocker and maybe a good teacher.

TexCanada
04-25-2010, 06:05 PM
As long as he is a reasonable price then I don't see anything wrong with this. He may have fallen out of favor on the Jets line, but the worst Jets O-line player is probably better then our best.

Bubbajwp
04-25-2010, 06:10 PM
As long as he is a reasonable price then I don't see anything wrong with this. He may have fallen out of favor on the Jets line, but the worst Jets O-line player is probably better then our best.

I wonder if he can play center. I would love to see him go up against Kris Jenkins on prime time TV.

LikeMike
04-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Id like it... he is clearly not the player he once was anymore, but he will be a great mentor to some of the younger guys and will at the very least be a good backup... but Im pretty sure he would still start and help our running game. Aint he from Texas?

CloakNNNdagger
04-25-2010, 06:17 PM
I wonder if he can play center. I would love to see him go up against Kris Jenkins on prime time TV.

You really think that the Texans would bring in a 9 time Pro Bowl LG to convert him to a Center? He's not over-the-hill. He's not injured. He may come cheap relative to his true value because of his roots. But I doubt if he comes cheap.

GuerillaBlack
04-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Texans NEED to sign him. It'll definitely help our OLine and running game. He went to high school in the Houston area, so that could be a plus in convincing him to sign here. Plus, we're an up and coming team that really just needs some OLine depth. He'd start though, I'm sure.

WolverineFan
04-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Texans NEED to sign him. It'll definitely help our OLine and running game. He went to high school in the Houston area, so that could be a plus in convincing him to sign here. Plus, we're an up and coming team that really just needs some OLine depth. He'd start though, I'm sure.

Does he even translate to our ZBS? He's always been in a power running system.

Jackie Chiles
04-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Yes please.

Ryan
04-25-2010, 06:34 PM
He could learn the ZBS. We need a bigger lineman so we don't get blown up by better d-lines like it happened too many times last year.

dalemurphy
04-25-2010, 06:35 PM
He could learn the ZBS. We need a bigger lineman so we don't get blown up by better d-lines like it happened too many times last year.

Almost every team runs some zone plays. He wouldn't have to "learn" it.

JB
04-25-2010, 06:37 PM

I think he does. From Scouts Inc.

Faneca is an instinctive player with good awareness. He shows punch on inline blocks and takes good angles to the second level. He can locate, adjust and hit moving targets. He's capable of redirecting pass-rushers and can engulf and maul linebackers. He has above-average initial quickness on the snap and plays with a good motor. He has adequate foot quickness but lacks strong punch on pass sets. He's an inconsistent finisher at times and struggles to match up versus quicker inside DTs.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?playerId=1459

Mr. White
04-25-2010, 06:38 PM
We're interested according to PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/25/texans-angling-for-alan-faneca/).

With veteran Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca now available, count the Texans among the potential suitors. According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, the teams is "checking out" the former Steeler and Jet.

McClain points out that Faneca went to high school outside Houston, which could make a return to the area more attractive.

He's owed $5.25 million in guaranteed money from the Jets, which could make him more inclined to play for the veteran minimum. Then again, it's still an uncapped year -- and if two or more teams are interested Faneca could spark an auction. Besides, we reported on Saturday that Faneca was cut after he refused to take a pay cut. If he wanted to make something at or close to the veteran minimum, he could have simply stayed in New York.

So whether it's the Texans or the Bears or the Cardinals or someone else, look for Faneca to do better than the bottom dollar to which he'd be entitled under the labor agreement.

Orlando Pace is case of a guy that was too old when he signed his last contract.

Faneca still has something in the tank. Not to mention, he would bring an attitude change to the O-Line.

WolverineFan
04-25-2010, 06:48 PM
If he can be a contributor then I'm fine with it. I have no idea of his ability to transition to our offense as he has always been in a power run game like Pittsburgh and New York.

ArlingtonTexan
04-25-2010, 07:07 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6975529.html

The Texans are interested in guard Alan Faneca, who was released by the New York Jets on Saturday.

The 33-year-old Faneca, who played at Lamar Consolidated High School, is a nine-time Pro Bowl player who spent his first 10 years with Pittsburgh and the last two with the Jets.

I think everybody in football's going to be interested in him, coach Gary Kubiak said today. We're going to check him out to see what he's interested in doing at this stage of his career, what direction he's headed.

General manager Rick Smith will let Faneca's agent, also named Rick Smith, know the Texans are interested in the veteran who played at LSU and resides in Thibodaux, La.

In 2008, Faneca signed a five-year, $40 million contract with the Jets that included $21 million guaranteed. At the time, he was the highest-paid offensive lineman in history.

Because the Jets still owe Faneca $5.25 million this year, money shouldn't be an issue with his next team.

The Texans' starter at left guard is Kasey Studdard. They drafted Shelley Smith in the sixth round and signed veteran free agent Wade Smith in the offseason. They have Mike Brisiel, Antoine Caldwell and Chris White at right guard.

TheRealJoker
04-25-2010, 07:20 PM
I would love to get Faneca. I think he'd make an impact similar to Kevin Mawae did in Tennessee. Best years are behind him but "this" Faneca is miles ahead of what we trotted out last season after our starting guards went down. He was a part of the best OL in the league... i'm sure he had something to do with them being the best.

He's not as good pass blocking? I'm sure he's better than Studdard.

Faneca immediately upgrades our OL. Not just with his skills but because he is a 9 time pro bowler. I'm sure that our younger OL can learn a few tricks from him.

Another reason: It would help the offense shed the "soft" label. Our defense took major steps in shedding their "soft" label with the addition of some physical school crushers. Faneca has a mean streak and I would love to see him show it off to the Colts on opening day when we're running the ball down their throats late in the game to preserve our lead!!!

JB
04-25-2010, 07:23 PM
I would love to get Faneca. I think he'd make an impact similar to Kevin Mawae did in Tennessee. Best years are behind him but "this" Faneca is miles ahead of what we trotted out last season after our starting guards went down. He was a part of the best OL in the league... i'm sure he had something to do with them being the best.

Faneca immediately upgrades our OL. Not just with his skills but because he is a 9 time pro bowler. I'm sure that our younger OL can learn a few tricks from him.

Another reason: It would help the offense shed the "soft" label. Our defense took major steps in shedding their "soft" label with the addition of some physical school crushers. Faneca has a mean streak and I would love to see him show it off to the Colts on opening day when we're running the ball down their throats late in the game to preserve our lead!!!

:goodpost: +1
Rep

Goatcheese
04-25-2010, 07:26 PM
He's better than Studdard, but that's about it. Caldwell, White and Brisiel are better options at this point in their careers.

Honoring Earl 34
04-25-2010, 07:30 PM

Faneca is a hand fighting warrior . He's not the biggest or the strongest but he knows how to play and he'd do what it took to win .

sidenote ... Him and Mawae are known to be nasty players and they went to LSU .

Nawzer
04-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Make it happen Mr.Smith. Even if Faneca doesn't play full time for us, he can teach a lot of the young guys and will bring tons of leadership and experience to our team.

TexCanada
04-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Make it happen Mr.Smith. Even if Faneca doesn't play full time for us, he can teach a lot of the young guys and will bring tons of leadership and experience to our team.

Agreed, some leadership for our young guys on the line could be prove to be very helpful, especially with Pitts not around anymore. A veteran guy like this could help our entire offense even if his playing time is lower then it used to be.

nero THE zero
04-25-2010, 07:49 PM
The Jets runs a ZBS

ObsiWan
04-25-2010, 08:01 PM
You really think that the Texans would bring in a 9 time Pro Bowl LG to convert him to a Center? He's not over-the-hill. He's not injured. He may come cheap relative to his true value because of his roots. But I doubt if he comes cheap.

Well don't the Jets have to pay him that 5+ MIL in guaranteed money for the upcoming year? Maybe he signs a "cheap" one yr deal with an option for a second yr with us just to stick it to the Jets. And if he's a good fit here, he picks up his option money (or restructures) and stays. If not, he's a free agent again.
Seems like a win/win to me.

ChampionTexan
04-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Well don't the Jets have to pay him that 5+ MIL in guaranteed money for the upcoming year? Maybe he signs a "cheap" one yr deal with an option for a second yr with us just to stick it to the Jets. And if he's a good fit here, he picks up his option money (or restructures) and stays. If not, he's a free agent again.

Exactly how does this constitute sticking it to the Jets?

dalemurphy
04-25-2010, 08:12 PM
He's better than Studdard, but that's about it. Caldwell, White and Brisiel are better options at this point in their careers.

Caldwell hopefully will be better. NO way Studdard or White are. And, we don't know how Briesel will come back from injury.

regardless, Depth matters!

So:
Caldwell
Myers
Briesel
Wade Smith
Faneca?
Shelley Smith

+

Butler
Winston
D.Brown

man, dare I dream of getting rid of Studdard?!

Big Poundcake
04-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Yes, I hope the Texans sign Faneca.

awtysst
04-25-2010, 08:30 PM
This would be an excellent signing. I think he has 2-3 good years left. You bring him in to teach and be a starting LG. Keep Brown at LT, slide Faneca into LG, Smith into C, Caldwell into RG, and Winston at RT and you have a pretty solid Oline. Briesel, Smith, Studdard, White, Butler, and Myers are good depth.

MojoMan
04-25-2010, 08:38 PM
This would be an excellent signing. I think he has 2-3 good years left. You bring him in to teach and be a starting LG. Keep Brown at LT, slide Faneca into LG, Smith into C, Caldwell into RG, and Winston at RT and you have a pretty solid Oline. Briesel, Smith, Studdard, White, Butler, and Myers are good depth.

That sounds good, except Smith will not succeed in beating out Meyers at center. In fact, I doubt very seriously that he will even be given the chance.

m5kwatts
04-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Did anyone else take this as an indictment against Chester Pitts' health and remaining football career? You'd think if they had interest in a veteran guard it'd be bringing Chester back. I know Chester's taken a few visits, no offers yet.

ObsiWan
04-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Exactly how does this constitute sticking it to the Jets?

I think the way it works is that if we pick up his 6-7 million salary, the Jets are off the hook. If we pay him the minimum, the Jets still have to pay him the balance of what's we pay vs. what his contract says.

Some of you salary gurus correct me if that isn't right.

Pocky
04-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Keep Brown at LT, slide Faneca into LG, Smith into C, Caldwell into RG, and Winston at RT and you have a pretty solid Oline.
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/042009/1239788892_jizz-in-my-pants.gif

drewmar74
04-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Did anyone else take this as an indictment against Chester Pitts' health and remaining football career? You'd think if they had interest in a veteran guard it'd be bringing Chester back. I know Chester's taken a few visits, no offers yet.

IIRC, Chester can't pass a physical yet. I'd like to think the team would want him back and I'd like to think that he'd like to be back.

But woe unto the team who is counting on a player who just had microfracture surgery...... I'd rather sign Faneca than wait on Chester because a guard on the field is worth two in the training room.

:cow:

ChampionTexan
04-25-2010, 09:14 PM
I think the way it works is that if we pick up his 6-7 million salary, the Jets are off the hook. If we pay him the minimum, the Jets still have to pay him the balance of what's we pay vs. what his contract says.

Some of you salary gurus correct me if that isn't right.

That's if you're claimed off of waivers, and given his tenure in the league, Faneca will not be hitting the waiver wire.

Anything he gets from anyone in 2010 will be above and beyond the Jets guarantee.

The exception to this would be if there were an offset clause in Faneca's contract, but I don't know how common those are. I know there wasn't one in the DelHomme contract, so as a result, he'll be getting more than $7 Million from the Browns in 2010 in addition to $12 Million or so from Carolina.

Honoring Earl 34
04-25-2010, 09:17 PM

If I'm not mistaken , I remember reading that the main problem with Chester in the ZBS is he wasn't to keen on cutting .

Pocky
04-25-2010, 09:17 PM
PFT's take on Faneca being a FA:

Texans angling for Alan Faneca
Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2010 6:49 PM ET
With veteran Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca now available, count the Texans among the potential suitors. According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, the teams is "checking out" the former Steeler and Jet.

McClain points out that Faneca went to high school outside Houston, which could make a return to the area more attractive.

He's owed $5.25 million in guaranteed money from the Jets, which could make him more inclined to play for the veteran minimum. Then again, it's still an uncapped year -- and if two or more teams are interested Faneca could spark an auction. Besides, we reported on Saturday that Faneca was cut after he refused to take a pay cut. If he wanted to make something at or close to the veteran minimum, he could have simply stayed in New York.

So whether it's the Texans or the Bears or the Cardinals or someone else, look for Faneca to do better than the bottom dollar to which he'd be entitled under the labor agreement.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

steelbtexan
04-25-2010, 09:28 PM
If it comes down to the Bears and the Texans Faneca wont be a Texan.

The Bears have proven they are willing to spend the $$$ to get Faneca. The Texans have proven to be unwilling to spend the $$$.

Faneca would be a great addition to help fix the run game. He would immediately become the best OL in Texans history. People who want to move a 9 time pro bowl OG to C make me LOL.

NitroGSXR
04-25-2010, 09:30 PM
You guys are just setting yourselves up for disappointment. I'll eat my shorts if Faneca even comes into town for a visit.

Don't hold me to that but I don't have very much faith that the FO is considering older guys.

b0ng
04-25-2010, 09:38 PM
If he's in for a workout I'll pay attention more.

edo783
04-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Just as an FYI, IIRC Fanica allowed the most QB sacks or hurries (can't remember which) of any OG in the NFL. Did he just have an off year .... could well be, but the more likely thing is that he is very close to being done. Get him relatively cheap (less than say 2-3 mill/year, vet min even better) for no more than a 3 year deal, then yeah. At the very least he would add good depth and leadership, but I would be very wary as to why the Jets released him.

MannyFresh
04-25-2010, 10:26 PM
The Texans better get this guy!

TheRealJoker
04-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Just as an FYI, IIRC Fanica allowed the most QB sacks or hurries (can't remember which) of any OG in the NFL. Did he just have an off year .... could well be, but the more likely thing is that he is very close to being done. Get him relatively cheap (less than say 2-3 mill/year, vet min even better) for no more than a 3 year deal, then yeah. At the very least he would add good depth and leadership, but I would be very wary as to why the Jets released him.

He was also blocking for a rookie QB. Wonder how much of that was the HWWNBN effect young QBs or just plain bad QBs have on their OL?

dalemurphy
04-25-2010, 10:35 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that any OL statistic that has Kasey Studdard rated ahead of Alan Faneca is more than slightly flawed.

Mr. White
04-25-2010, 10:35 PM
He was also blocking for a rookie QB. Wonder how much of that was the HWWNBN effect young QBs or just plain bad QBs have on their OL?

Totally agree here.

I watched a lot of Jets games this past season and Sanchez has a pretty poor grasp on the fundamentals.....

.......one of which is not getting rid of the ball quick enough.

GP
04-25-2010, 10:47 PM
A team's fans can bring things down to reality.

When I hear Jets fans are not too hip to Faneca, and it's reported that Faneca wants GOOD money (he reportedly desired to be cut from Jets instead of taking a pay cut), then what we have here is a man who is trying to leverage another contract.

When he leapt from the Steelers to the Jets, it was a big news. He felt out of place in Pittsburgh, and generally felt that he was undervalued. IIRC, he even said he was done in Pittsburgh and didn't want to be back at all...not for any price.

This guy seems as if he's about himself, and he's done a good job of strutting around and making himself the apple of everyone's eye.

As much as I am FOR bringing in more brand-name talent in the free agency market, this smells of the famous "Use the Texans as a retirement pension" proposition.

Allstar
04-25-2010, 11:30 PM

It's my understanding that the Jets have to pay him $5 million MINUS whatever he makes this year. Unless he can get more than 5 mil somewhere, he can sign for anything between the minimum and 5 million and still receive the same pay. So it really all comes down to where Faneca wants to play, not who pays him the most.:fingergun:

The Pencil Neck
04-25-2010, 11:37 PM
It's my understanding that the Jets have to pay him $5 million MINUS whatever he makes this year. Unless he can get more than 5 mil somewhere, he can sign for anything between the minimum and 5 million and still receive the same pay. So it really all comes down to where Faneca wants to play, not who pays him the most.:fingergun:

Yeah, that was my understanding from the Delhomme deal. The Panthers let him go with a ton of guaranteed money still on the table. Any money he got from his new team would be deducted from that money that had been guaranteed by the Panthers.

Unless there's something about this situtaion that makes it work differently.

mexican_texan
04-25-2010, 11:40 PM
The Jets cut one of the best guards of the 00's, unwilling to pay him $5 million when the market for a great lineman is over $10 million. They're willing to start a rookie in his place and still pay him his money.

Something's up.

Allstar
04-25-2010, 11:51 PM
The Jets cut one of the best guards of the 00's, unwilling to pay him $5 million when the market for a great lineman is over $10 million. They're willing to start a rookie in his place and still pay him his money.

Something's up.

Don't forget it's an uncapped year too.

thunderkyss
04-25-2010, 11:52 PM

Something's up.

I agree. The Jets know how much of their success from '09 was due to their OL, letting him go for cap reasons in an uncapped year sounds like something is amiss.

But if the Texans take a look at him, and they can't see what the issue is, they need to get him into camp.

IMHO, that's what "Play-off or Bust" means. If we don't land him, that tells me though we're going to play our best, and our best may be good enough to get to the play-offs, but our goals are still long term.

barrett
04-26-2010, 12:10 AM
If it comes down to the Bears and the Texans Faneca wont be a Texan.

The Bears have proven they are willing to spend the $$$ to get Faneca. The Texans have proven to be unwilling to spend the $$$.

Faneca would be a great addition to help fix the run game. He would immediately become the best OL in Texans history. People who want to move a 9 time pro bowl OG to C make me LOL.

The Texans have quite a different offer to present a guy like Faneca. We are on the verge of a playoff run and we are located in the state that he grew up in. I don't ever see us being a team that throws stupid money at FA's. (anymore). Guys who want to play, who want to win will be attracted, guys who want to get paid, will move on.

Having said that, I could see Rick throwing a bit more money at a guy like him because he has been a SB champion and that is clearly something that the Texans want more of in the lockerroom.

Rey
04-26-2010, 12:21 AM
If I'm a prominent player in the NFL I am not giving the Texans a discount...Hometown or not.

Despite all the promise this team has shown of "being on the verge", they have yet to show that they are capable of not shooting themselves in the foot when it matters most.

I would assume that a player like Faneca would be have to be persuaded with a fairly large amount of money to come here vs. going to a team where it's a forgone conclusion that they will be in the play-offs. JMO.

ChampionTexan
04-26-2010, 12:47 AM

It doesn't appear that's correct. From NFL.com

Unlike many guaranteed portions of contracts, there is no offset clause in Faneca's deal, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. He gets the full $5.25 million, and, when Faneca inevitably signs his next deal as a free agent, none of that money counts against that total. When it's all said and done, the veteran could well end up earning over $10 million this season.

Delhomme's deal with Carolina didn't have the offset clause either. From the same NFL.com article.

Interestingly, another prominent player released this season despite a massive guaranteed payment -- Jake Delhomme, with nearly $14 million guaranteed by the Panthers -- also had no offset in his contract, allowing him to make about $20 million total this season.

Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817cb285&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Brisco_County
04-26-2010, 01:18 AM
I think there's a good chance he could land here, and that's not just optimism talking.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5135095

Commenting for the first time since his release, Faneca expressed mixed emotions about his departure, but he did say he was "upset" with the Jets' decision to let a couple of unproven players battle for his former job.

"I'm not sure what I am," Faneca said Sunday afternoon in an e-mail to ESPNNewYork.com. "I'm not necessarily angry, but I did not want things to end the way they did. I'm upset with their decision. I think they made the decision that they felt was for the future of the team.

"That's fine, this is a business, but everyone wants to leave on their own terms. I'll move on and find another opportunity to play. My family and I had a great time being part of the Jets and the community and will always look at our time here and the friends we made as a great time in our lives."

Faneca, 33, didn't say where he might end up, but he figures to attract interest. The Jets owe him $5.25 million, so he probably will sign somewhere for the veterans minimum -- a bargain for a team looking for an accomplished former Super Bowl champion.

"We did a lot of great things last year on the field," Faneca said. "I guess the phrase, 'If it ain't broke, then don't fix it' doesn't apply here. I think they put a lot of faith in Cally [offensive line coach Bill Callahan], as do I. He is a great coach that they feel he can get the job done."

The Jets' offensive line was arguably the best in the league last season, as the Jets led the NFL in rushing. Faneca, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Brandon Moore and Damien Woody started 32 consecutive games together, the longest streak in the NFL.

Rex Ryan says (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/04/24/2010-04-24_jets_release_veteran_pro_bowl_guard_faneca.html ) Faneca wasn't good enough anymore, and cut him despite the guaranteed money. Now Faneca has something to prove, and he has the chance to play for a team that is aiming for the playoffs, and have the Jets on their schedule. If the guaranteed money has made the decision one of personal preference, then I don't see why he wouldn't prefer Houston under the circumstances.

Carr Bombed
04-26-2010, 01:40 AM
If I'm a prominent player in the NFL I am not giving the Texans a discount...Hometown or not.

Despite all the promise this team has shown of "being on the verge", they have yet to show that they are capable of not shooting themselves in the foot when it matters most.

I would assume that a player like Faneca would be have to be persuaded with a fairly large amount of money to come here vs. going to a team where it's a forgone conclusion that they will be in the play-offs. JMO.

Hate to break this to you, but Faneca is not giving anybody a "discount" whether they're a "winning team or not"......he already has his SB ring, he isn't chasing anything. So he's not going to turn down a team like the Texans (who aren't a bad team) over a team like Indy just because of a couple of dollars. Every team he signs with is going to have to pay...this will most likely be his last contract and he's already a champion, so going to a team "where it's a forgone conclusion that they will be in the play-offs" angle is right out the window. He signed with a Jets team that was 4-12....

Maddict5
04-26-2010, 04:06 AM
http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=G&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

he obviously had a pretty lousy yr if the jets released him outright so these rankings could be pretty accurate. to be honest, i could take it or leave it. it looks like one of those great FA signings on paper but the likelihood is the much less heralded wade smith makes a bigger impact

BIG TORO
04-26-2010, 07:21 AM
I really want this guy hopfulley we can get him at a good price.

thunderkyss
04-26-2010, 08:19 AM

If we're talking Chicago vs Houston, I think it's a draw.

thunderkyss
04-26-2010, 08:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5135095
Faneca, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Brandon Moore and Damien Woody started 32 consecutive games together, the longest streak in the NFL.

Great situation for a rookie head coach to step into.

thunderkyss
04-26-2010, 08:29 AM
http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=G&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

he obviously had a pretty lousy yr if the jets released him outright so these rankings could be pretty accurate. to be honest, i could take it or leave it. it looks like one of those great FA signings on paper but the likelihood is the much less heralded wade smith makes a bigger impact

I agree. But I would like for the Texans to at least take a serious look at him regardless. It's not that I want the Texans to do whatever it takes to sign him. But if they are seriously going for broke, they have to take a serious look at Faneca.

He brings a mean streak, and serious mauler capability to an OL that needs it.

If he's got work ethic issues, attitude issues, or if they feel he's just looking for that final payday... don't do it. But I don't see how they can take a cursory look at him, and not think he can benefit this team.

b0ng
04-26-2010, 11:13 AM
I think a few trams have interest in him since he was released. I don't think he'll give us any kind of hometown anything but hopefully we'll offer him a decent (but not ludicrous) amount to compete here. This would be pending a physical and all that fun.

El Tejano
04-26-2010, 11:38 AM
When I saw that we didn't draft more OL, I figured we were either planning on signing Pitts back or eyeing another vet OL. This is good news if he signs because IMO he will be better than any rookie we get or signing Pitts back (and I'm a Chester Pitts fan!).

Those who are scared what it would do to our passing offense since his pass pro isn't there, need to remember what Matt was able to do with Studdard in the exact same spot. If our running game is on because of this dude, then we will not be relying much on our passing game anyhow. Besides we can't rely on what we got because two of our starting guards will either not be on the team or coming off of surgery.

Goldensilence
04-26-2010, 11:54 AM
When I saw that we didn't draft more OL, I figured we were either planning on signing Pitts back or eyeing another vet OL. This is good news if he signs because IMO he will be better than any rookie we get or signing Pitts back (and I'm a Chester Pitts fan!).

Those who are scared what it would do to our passing offense since his pass pro isn't there, need to remember what Matt was able to do with Studdard in the exact same spot. If our running game is on because of this dude, then we will not be relying much on our passing game anyhow. Besides we can't rely on what we got because two of our starting guards will either not be on the team or coming off of surgery.

Bingo. If the OL could manage with Studdard out there, they'll be at LEAST fine with Faneca. I tend to think much better.

Difference is the dude is going to be able to open up holes in running game, and both teams he came from were run first teams. His pass blocking might not have been great because it wasn't what he was usually asked to do.

If the Texans FO is serious about winning now, would be prudent to give the guy a look at least.

Rey
04-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Hate to break this to you, but Faneca is not giving anybody a "discount" whether they're a "winning team or not"......he already has his SB ring, he isn't chasing anything. So he's not going to turn down a team like the Texans (who aren't a bad team) over a team like Indy just because of a couple of dollars. Every team he signs with is going to have to pay...this will most likely be his last contract and he's already a champion, so going to a team "where it's a forgone conclusion that they will be in the play-offs" angle is right out the window. He signed with a Jets team that was 4-12....

You don't think that he would take a little less money to go to a team like Indy?

I disagree.

If we're talking about a large gap in the amount of money offered, then of course he would take the larger offer...

And no, the Texans aren't a bad team but there is a stigma about the organization at this point.

But besides that, I think you missed my main point which was that he isn't going to give the Texans a "hometown discount"...Not sure why you chose to debate minor points/issues you had with of my statement...It's ok to let minor things you disagree with sometimes go...

steelbtexan
04-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Faneca was on the Steelers when they were the top rushing team in the NFL. Faneca goes to the Jets and they become the top rushing team in the NFL. I think I'm begining to see a pattern here.

Adding Faneca and drafting Tate will solve the short yardage problems the Texans have had since their inception. Faneca would bring toughness that the OL has been missing.

If I'm Smithiak I spend the $$$. But it's not my $$$ so who knows if McNair will sign off on this deal.

Ole Miss Texan
04-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Bingo. If the OL could manage with Studdard out there, they'll be at LEAST fine with Faneca. I tend to think much better.

Difference is the dude is going to be able to open up holes in running game, and both teams he came from were run first teams. His pass blocking might not have been great because it wasn't what he was usually asked to do.

If the Texans FO is serious about winning now, would be prudent to give the guy a look at least.
Couldn't agree with this more.
Faneca was on the Steelers when they were the top rushing team in the NFL. Faneca goes to the Jets and they become the top rushing team in the NFL. I think I'm begining to see a pattern here.

Adding Faneca and drafting Tate will solve the short yardage problems the Texans have had since their inception. Faneca would bring toughness that the OL has been missing.

If I'm Smithiak I spend the $$$. But it's not my $$$ so who knows if McNair will sign off on this deal.
Kind of what I'm thinking. He's gone downhill, not quite the same player he was, but I still think he'd be an upgrade (a rather large upgrade) for us at LG. Brisiel/Caldwell/Smith compete at RG. Myers/Smith/Caldwell compete at C. Faneca/Smith/Studdard compete at LG. I like having Tate running behind a line similar to Brown-Faneca-Myers/Smith-Caldwell-Winston.

As far as $'s go? I really wonder how much he's going to be asking for. Wade Smith's contract is a 4-year $12MM deal with $6.25M guaranteed. That's $3MM per year, I'd suspect Faneca is going to garner AT LEAST that amount. Also, I'm not as convinced it's entirely McNair's call as most people A lot say he won't pony up the cash - I just have a gut feeling that he gives Kubiak and Rick Smith a lot of leeway. I think he says if this is a guy they really want and think will help the team out, he'll trust them and pay for him. I really would disagree that its McNair saying he doesn't want to spend the money... I think it's Smith saying he can get more from less. But this is pure speculation on my point.

We've been caught on "location" before so I don't place much emphasis on Houston because of living situation. With that said, his home is about a 4 hour drive from Houston.... but why not go to the Saints if he wants to be close to home, play for his hometown crowd, especially at discount?

thunderkyss
04-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Do you think we would have heard by now, if we were getting Faneca?

b0ng
04-26-2010, 07:26 PM

Haven't heard anything about anybody doing anything with Faneca. Right now I've read that it's us, Bears and Cardinals in the hunt for the guy.

GuerillaBlack
04-26-2010, 07:51 PM
I think we can win out of that group. We have the most promising future, in my opinion, plus, we're close to Faneca's home.

MannyFresh
04-26-2010, 08:34 PM
I think we can win out of that group. We have the most promising future, in my opinion, plus, we're close to Faneca's home.

Man I hope your right, this guy is a machine, he was at my old high school, he was at LSU, and he's still going strong.

awtysst
04-26-2010, 10:20 PM

Nah. Its WAY too early. I am sure his agent his fielding interest and gauging potential numbers. Then he will set an itinerary of places to visit. Then Faneca will choose his new home.

steelbtexan
04-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Couldn't agree with this more.

Kind of what I'm thinking. He's gone downhill, not quite the same player he was, but I still think he'd be an upgrade (a rather large upgrade) for us at LG. Brisiel/Caldwell/Smith compete at RG. Myers/Smith/Caldwell compete at C. Faneca/Smith/Studdard compete at LG. I like having Tate running behind a line similar to Brown-Faneca-Myers/Smith-Caldwell-Winston.

As far as $'s go? I really wonder how much he's going to be asking for. Wade Smith's contract is a 4-year $12MM deal with $6.25M guaranteed. That's $3MM per year, I'd suspect Faneca is going to garner AT LEAST that amount. Also, I'm not as convinced it's entirely McNair's call as most people A lot say he won't pony up the cash - I just have a gut feeling that he gives Kubiak and Rick Smith a lot of leeway. I think he says if this is a guy they really want and think will help the team out, he'll trust them and pay for him. I really would disagree that its McNair saying he doesn't want to spend the money... I think it's Smith saying he can get more from less. But this is pure speculation on my point.

We've been caught on "location" before so I don't place much emphasis on Houston because of living situation. With that said, his home is about a 4 hour drive from Houston.... but why not go to the Saints if he wants to be close to home, play for his hometown crowd, especially at discount?

Cant rep you but I would like too.

RagingBull
04-27-2010, 01:28 AM
If we're talking Chicago vs Houston, I think it's a draw.

Guess it depends on whether he likes pizza and hot dogs or barbeque and mexican food.

El Tejano
04-27-2010, 07:20 AM
Guess it depends on whether he likes pizza and hot dogs or barbeque and mexican food.

He's been in New York so he's had his share of Pizza and Hot Dogs. Somebody get the grill going and bring this dude in here.

thunderkyss
04-27-2010, 08:03 AM
He was cut when, ?? Sunday?

I'm thinking if it were going to happen, he'd have been on a plane to Houston by now.

I don't think he's coming to Houston.

Kaiser Toro
04-27-2010, 08:08 AM
He was cut when, ?? Sunday?

I'm thinking if it were going to happen, he'd have been on a plane to Houston by now.

I don't think he's coming to Houston.

Wouldn't that work for the other teams as well?

El Tejano
04-27-2010, 08:08 AM
A guy like Faneca knows he's going to get hired so he's in no rush to get on a plane and do the free agent thing yet. How about wait for the phone ring a few times for a few days and make a decision on who you want to visit?

Who do you think Jerry is talking about?

Cowboys | Looking for offensive line depth
Comment (0)
Mon, 26 Apr 2010 17:57:05 -0400

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the team will look for a veteran offensive lineman to add some depth at the position, reports Clarence E. Hill Jr., of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0mJ3edmNI

HOU-TEX
04-27-2010, 09:07 AM
I reckon the Cards might be his team of choice, seeing both the Whiz and Grimm are there. Never know though

threetoedpete
04-27-2010, 09:47 AM

Studdard was a pretty fair pass protector in '09. Just going by our record signing the guys on the back nine of their careers, I'm a bit apprehensive. Exposing Matt to six and a half potential season ending hits scares the beJesus out of me. Sorry. Sign him to an incentive laden contract, i'd be OK with that. One of these day we really need to draft an anchor for the o-line. Got two blue collar tackles and a center who can't get a push in the running game if he was hitting a wet paper bag ? What we need is a Faneca young and fresh and beginning his career. Those there thingys you draft in the first round of a draft.

El Tejano
04-27-2010, 10:58 AM
I reckon the Cards might be his team of choice, seeing both the Whiz and Grimm are there. Never know though

Good point.

JWarren14
04-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Looks like the Bears are backing off per Rotoworld...

"The Bears won't be signing free agent OG Alan Faneca "unless something changes," according to the Chicago Sun Times.
A "knowledgeable source" confirms to beat writer Sean Jensen that GM Jerry Angelo has yet to contact Faneca. Faneca, 33, is a fall off the cliff candidate. The Bears don't want a repeat of last year's Orlando Pace situation."

El Tejano
04-27-2010, 01:25 PM
I know the NFL Network and ESPN are going to hunt me down for suggesting this, but the poor pass pro couldn't be Mark Sanchez's fault could it?

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2010, 01:27 PM
I know the NFL Network and ESPN are going to hunt me down for suggesting this, but the poor pass pro couldn't be Mark Sanchez's fault could it?

I think NFLN and ESPN have just put out a contract on you.

Sorry.

It was nice knowing you.

painekiller
04-27-2010, 01:42 PM
NFLnetwork is reporting that the Browns and Mangini are the front runners and the Brown are willing to give him a big deal. Mangini was he the HC that signed Faneca to the big deal in the 1st place.

IMO Faneca is a selfish player, but I would do what I could to get him here.

Kaiser Toro
04-27-2010, 01:42 PM

You probably should fear being hunted down by Arizona more than the entities you mentioned. :kitten:

JB
04-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Faneca has reached agreement with Arizona

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca reached agreement with Arizona on a one-year, $2.5 million deal. Nice pickup for the Cardinals

Jackie Chiles
04-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Faneca going to pocket 7.5+ mil this year, not bad.

ObsiWan
04-27-2010, 07:48 PM

We have a winner!

NitroGSXR
04-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Aw hell. SecondHoneymoon's coming in here fo'sho!

BIG TORO
04-27-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't understand why we cant sign anyone!

MannyFresh
04-27-2010, 08:41 PM

The franchises cocos hadn't dropped yet.

BIG TORO
04-27-2010, 08:48 PM
The franchises cocos hadn't dropped yet.

I guess that's what it is!

eriadoc
04-27-2010, 08:55 PM
I don't know that I'm all that enamored with Faneca, but with a back-from-injury Brisiel, Studdard, and Caldwell, I'm pretty sure I'd be OK with one year $3 mill. Seriously, that's an easy decision, especially in an uncapped year.

GP
04-27-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm glad we didn't get Faneca.

Now he can play his one year, create some fake anger towards his new team, and walk away. There's a reason this is a one-year deal.

Without reading all of the developments, I would still bet that most teams wanted no part of his drama antics. One-year deal says it all.

steelbtexan
04-27-2010, 08:57 PM

Ask Texans management that ?

Bet you dont get a truthful answer.

TEXANRED
04-27-2010, 08:58 PM

Faneca was just a name. I wouldn't sweat it. We have a good group of young talent on the interior OL.

IMO its better to have not signed a player then to have signed Todd Wade.

record
04-27-2010, 09:06 PM
I think this was a non story in regards to the Texans all along. McClain just threw it out there. I mean what team wouldn't have some degree of interest in Faneca at minimum salary? Besides the local connection, the Texans had no more interest in the dude than any other NFL team, but somehow that became a headline story for chron.com. Besides Lance Z and Steph S, the coverage at that site isn't any better than anywhere else on the net for Texans info.

ChampionTexan
04-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Faneca was just a name. I wouldn't sweat it. We have a good group of young talent on the interior OL.

IMO its better to have not signed a player then to have signed Todd Wade.

Or Ahman Green or Roosevelt Colvin. Sometimes recognizable names just make for higher profile failures.

Regardless of how good or bad a Texan he would have been, Faneca went to play for two guys he was very familiar with, and had a very high opinion of in Whisenhunt and Grimm. Anybody remember when Tomlin was hired in Pittsburgh, Faneca was pretty vocal that one of those two should have gotten the job? Could have contributed to the Steelers being willing to let him go to the Jets.

My personal opinion is this was not a guy to go overboard in getting, and with the Cardinal connection that he had, that's very probably what it would have taken.

GP
04-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Or Ahman Green or Roosevelt Colvin. Sometimes recognizable names just make for higher profile failures.

Regardless of how good or bad a Texan he would have been, Faneca went to play for two guys he was very familiar with, and had a very high opinion of in Whisenhunt and Grimm. Anybody remember when Tomlin was hired in Pittsburgh, Faneca was pretty vocal that one of those two should have gotten the job? Could have contributed to the Steelers being willing to let him go to the Jets.

My personal opinion is this was not a guy to go overboard in getting, and with the Cardinal connection that he had, that's very probably what it would have taken.

:clap:

Rep your way. Well said, ChampTexan.

HOU-TEX
04-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Ask Texans management that ?

Bet you dont get a truthful answer.

Did Faneca even want to come here? Did he ever give it a thought? I doubt it. Plus, his old OC and Oline coach are now with the Cards. The writing was on the wall. But hey, don't mind logic, carry on.

infantrycak
04-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Did Faneca even want to come here? Did he ever give it a thought? I doubt it. Plus, his old OC and Oline coach are now with the Cards. The writing was on the wall. But hey, don't mind logic, carry on.

McClain was on this morning saying Faneca was approached by several teams including the Texans and told them not unless the Cards wouldn't sign him.

HOU-TEX
04-28-2010, 09:27 AM
McClain was on this morning saying Faneca was approached by several teams including the Texans and told them not unless the Cards wouldn't sign him.

It was reported the Cards were interested shortly after the Texans' name came up, so to me it was the obvious destination.