View Full Version : Garrett Graham TE Wisconson -4th round selection

thunderkyss
04-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Woohoo

Another Tight End!!!

Wheeee!!!

barrett
04-24-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm going to love listening to you guys now. hee hee!

Austrian
04-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Wtf?

LonerATO
04-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Unless they plan on trading another TE in the team, I just don't get this pick

TexCanada
04-24-2010, 10:14 AM
I think they just went BPA, plus all the injuries to our current TEs..

2slik4u
04-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Can someone please enlighten me on why the hell we took two tight ends AGAIN????

And why we havent taken a guard?

WTF?

I need some convincing on why two tightends were necessary, please help me out here.

No More 8-8's
This is why, following the borad sometimes doesnt make sense. We now have 5 TE on the roster. Are we already giving up on ANthony Hill last year????

gg no re
insurance policy for OD?

I mean, we've been 1 for 1 on Wisconsin TEs so far, so the odds are in our favor.

The Pencil Neck
Garrett Graham isn't as flashy as many of the other tight end prospects for 2010, but he is one of the most complete players. Graham doesn't have the same type of straight line speed as Aaron Hernandez or Jermaine Gresham, but he always seems to find a way to get open. He saw his first major action as a sophomore, catching 30 passes for 328 yards and 4 touchdowns in 2007. He took over as the main target last year for the injured Travis Beckum and caught 40 passes for 540 yards and 5 touchdowns. He again surpassed those numbers as a senior. Graham has caught 51 passes for 624 yards and 7 touchdowns. These aren't eye popping statistics, but he plays for one of the most run heavy offenses of the last decade. Graham makes an excellent safety valve for his quarterback. He finds holes in zone coverage and sits down to provide an easy target. Because of Wisconsin's preference to run the ball, he has become an excellent run blocker. He has the size and upper body strength to take on defensive ends in the run game as well as linebackers. He may become an H-back in the NFL. Graham will likely be picked up in the late fourth or early fifth round of the 2010 draft.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2194

Sounds to me like Anthony Hill may be hurt really bad.

D-Frank
04-24-2010, 10:16 AM
mann i didnt want anoter tight end

TexCanada
04-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Can someone please enlighten me on why the hell we took two tight ends AGAIN????

And why we havent taken a guard?

WTF?

I need some convincing on why two tightends were necessary, please help me out here.

We didn't take 2, only 1

rmartin65
04-24-2010, 10:17 AM
6 TEs. Unbelievable. Teams usually dont even carry 4, how the hell are the Texans going to make room for 6 TEs? Say the FA TE gets cut after camp. That is still 5 TEs!

hot pickle
04-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Ughhhhh

bckey
04-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Thats 3 head scratchers in a row.

eriadoc
04-24-2010, 10:19 AM
6 TEs. Unbelievable. Teams usually dont even carry 4, how the hell are the Texans going to make room for 6 TEs? Say the FA TE gets cut after camp. That is still 5 TEs!

Who are the 6? OD, Dreesen, Casey, Hill, and now this guy, right? We did not take the Mowhatever guy that ESPN has us listed as taking.

That said, we're bringing back the run and shoot, baby! But you know ... with TEs.

:D

GP
04-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Wtf?

Uh, OD is coming off an injury.

Anthony Hill got hurt.

James Casey did not ignite and set the turf on fire.

So that leaves Dreesen who did the heavy lifting last season.

It's insurance, at a spot that apparently is very crucial to what we do on offense. It now seems that Kubiak's offense philosophy places a huge emphasis on having a very capable TE.

It must be a very integral part of what he needs for the offense to succeed. If we went with two TEs last year in the 4th and another one in this year's 4th round, I'd say we're pretty serious about keeping that position stocked.

eriadoc
04-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Oh, I forgot about Connor Barwin! There's another potential TE! We are going to own the TE position in the NFL.

Kubiak:TE::Gruden:QB

The Pencil Neck
04-24-2010, 10:22 AM

Anthony Hill got hurt.

It's insurance, at a spot that apparently is very crucial to what we do on offense. It now seems that Kubiak's offense philosophy places a huge emphasis on having a very capable TE.

It must be a very integral part of what he needs for the offense to succeed. If we went with two TEs last year in the 4th and another one in this year's 4th round, I'd say we're pretty serious about keeping that position stocked.

And Dreessen had off-season shoulder surgery.

That's three injured TEs.

GP
04-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Who are the 6? OD, Dreesen, Casey, Hill, and now this guy, right? We did not take the Mowhatever guy that ESPN has us listed as taking.

That said, we're bringing back the run and shoot, baby! But you know ... with TEs.

:D

We acquired Michael Gaines who appears to be a journeyman TE. Probably just for camp fodder.

I think we're going to employ OD, Dreesen or Hill (one is going to get let go), and Casey. The 4th round TE we just got is going to be on the practice squad (as usual) and the Gaines fellow will be cut during one of our roster cutdowns.

Just spitballin' here, so feel free to chime in.

treduke
04-24-2010, 10:23 AM
:gun:

Austrian

Anthony Hill got hurt.

Still it seems like Kubiak collects TEs like Gruden collects QBs.

GP

I know, it's a bit much to me too.

Gary loves tight ends. :heehee:

JimC
04-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Even if they put a TE on IR or trade a TE, that still leaves a camp guy they have to cut plus 4 TE on the roster... They must have something in mind.

Maybe they plan to put Hill on IR or trade OD or Dreessen, then use Graham as a FB/TE combo?

Errant Hothy
04-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Anthony Hill got hurt.

OD and Hill are coming off of ACLs, not a minor injury. GP, not saying you were implying they had minor issues; but I think all of the jumpers need to reconsider the extent of the OD and Hill's issues.

This offense runs (both overall and the ball) better when there is a pass catching threat on the field at the TE spot.

Drew_Smoke
04-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Graham is a playa. 2 Time All Big 10?

Open D and Graham will be known as the Badger Brothers....pay me if you wanna use it Mr McNair...Thanks

2slik4u
04-24-2010, 10:27 AM
We didn't take 2, only 1

Tony Moeaki - Rd 3 pick #93

TE out of Iowa. He was the first, Grahm was the second.

OzzO
Per P-Neck's quote above
....He finds holes in zone coverage and sits down to provide an easy target. Because of Wisconsin's preference to run the ball, he has become an excellent run blocker. He has the size and upper body strength to take on defensive ends in the run game as well as linebackers. He may become an H-back in the NFL....

sounds good.

Possible dual position, put some competition at both spots?

False Start
Wow, another TE...... :thinking:

TexCanada
04-24-2010, 10:29 AM

We traded that pick to the Chiefs.

The Pencil Neck
Even if they put a TE on IR or trade a TE, that still leaves a camp guy they have to cut plus 4 TE on the roster... They must have something in mind.

Maybe they plan to put Hill on IR or trade OD or Dreessen, then use Graham as a FB/TE combo?

Hill, Dreessen, and OD may not be ready for TC. NONE of them. That leaves them the new guy they signed off the street (who is just a camp body), Casey, and this new kid. That's a lot of reps in TC for Casey and this new kid.

I think this draft choice implies that Dreessen and Hill may not even be ready for the start of the season.

Maddict5

we traded 93 to the chiefs

GP

Yeah, some definite changes are coming.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to keep Hill and let Dreesen go. 98% of fans here would be shocked, but I have seen them do cute things like that before. You just never know.

OD ought to be OK and back to almost his old self, so I don't think he's going anywhere THIS year. That's one TE.

Casey isn't going anywhere either. That's the second TE.

Dreesen and Hill are my likely candidates for a cut, leaving one as the third TE.

The newly-drafted guy will be on the practice squad as an emergency backup.

The newly-acquired free agent will work his ass off during camp, and can only remain if one or two guys go down to injury or some other development removes a TE or two from the roster.

bckey
04-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Once again the Texans neglected the fs position. And we keep passing up ol and dl. Geno Atkins and Cam Thomas seem like no brainers at this point with our current dl. I would rather stockpile ol and dl instead of te because maybe if we draft enough we might generate a pass rush on defense and also block some of these big nose tackles we have to face this year with our ol.

2slik4u
04-24-2010, 10:32 AM
we traded 93 to the chiefs

Your right, I stand corrected. ESPN shows he came to us but NFL.com says he went to the chiefs.

So we picked up an extra 4th rounder in that trade?

Hardcore Texan
I am absolutely baffled by this pick. Baffled I say.

I almost jokingly posted after the LB pick, "what's next a tightend"......little did I think there was even a remote possibility.

I can't believe our staff is content with our OL, and damn we sure need a DB way worse than a effin TE. :gun:

TexCanada
Your right, I stand corrected. ESPN shows he came to us but NFL.com says he went to the chiefs.

So we picked up an extra 4th rounder in that trade?

I think that was the trade where we gave them our 3rd for their 4th and 5th

m5kwatts
04-24-2010, 10:33 AM
What if this guy is really good? Who here did hours of film work on this kid like the Texans?

GP
04-24-2010, 10:33 AM
OD and Hill are coming off of ACLs, not a minor injury. GP, not saying you were implying they had minor issues; but I think all of the jumpers need to reconsider the extent of the OD and Hill's issues.

This offense runs (both overall and the ball) better when there is a pass catching threat on the field at the TE spot.

The early indication on OD is that he might be back to form and there's no lingering complications. At least that's the "filtered" word on his status.

Hill just might be a guy who got bitten by the injury bug and isn't coming back as strong as OD. I don't know for sure, because I have no news on it. Does anybody have any news on his recovery thus far?

I think the jury is out on who makes this roster at TE, but with pretty good odds that Casey gets one spot and the 4th rounder is on practice squad.

Lots of things can happen between now and our first game, though.

TexCanada
04-24-2010, 10:34 AM
What if this guy is really good? Who here did hours of film work on this kid like the Texans?

Exactly. If they think he is going to be a really good player then why not take him? One of guys can be traded for a draft pick when they are all healthy

2slik4u
04-24-2010, 10:34 AM
I am absolutely baffled by this pick. Baffled I say.

I almost jokingly posted after the LB pick, "what's next a tightend"......little did I think there was even a remote possibility.

I can't believe our staff is content with our OL, and damn we sure need a DB way worse than a effin TE. :gun:

Dude, I agree. The only thing I can think of is Wade Smith is impressing Smithiak and they got their eye on a guard later on in the draft.

Whatever the case may be, Im with you on the baffled bus.

nytexan
04-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Conference: Big Ten
HT: 6-3
WT: 243
40 Time: 4.71
Biography: Three-year starter awarded All-Conference honors as a senior after career receiving numbers of 51/624/7. Junior totals included 40/540/5.

Positives: Reliable pass-catching tight end with marginal size/speed numbers for the next level. Plays with a good degree of quickness, breaks down well, and fluid releasing off the line into routes. Shows great awareness on the field, effectively extends his hands and makes the reception away from his frame. Nicely adjusts to make the catch in stride and at times comes away with some incredible receptions.

Negatives: Gives effort blocking yet lacks strength, rarely gets movement, and cannot finish off defenders. Lacks the deep speed to be a downfield threat. Occasionally lets the ball slip through his hands.

Analysis: Graham has been productive on the college level three years running yet lacks the overall physical skills to be anything other than a second tight end for an NFL team. He's best in a system that would put him in motion and comes with a special teams mentality.

Projection: 5th
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2010/draft/players/44033

No FS, DT or OL's for this guy???? Very disappointing 4th round IMO.

V Man
04-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Texans' 4th Round = Wasted

wheeling and dealing for extra picks are now looking like a waste of time

TexCanada
04-24-2010, 10:38 AM
The Texans FO also values character guys and special teams guys very high

The1ApplePie
04-24-2010, 10:39 AM
I was driving to work and thinking "I'd be alright with the Texans drafting Henandez, the TE out of Florida in the 4th"

I guess Graham grades out about the same

m5kwatts
04-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Texans' 4th Round = Wasted

wheeling and dealing for extra picks are now looking like a waste of time

Ridiculous overreaction.

JimC
04-24-2010, 10:40 AM
I think the jury is out on who makes this roster at TE, but with pretty good odds that Casey gets one spot and the 4th rounder is on practice squad.

Putting a 4th round pick on the practice squad is pretty dangerous. He would have to go through waivers, and any other team that needs depth at TE could snatch him up. Handing another team our 4th round pick would be a huge waste.

Wolf
04-24-2010, 10:42 AM
also found this:

Although he was a tight end in three years at Wisconsin, Graham may lack the prototypical size and strength to play the position in the NFL and instead projects as one of the top fullbacks in this draft. There is no doubt he possesses the necessary receiving skills to succeed at the next level, finishing his career tied for fifth in school history with 16 receiving touchdowns and tied for sixth with 121 catches. He had his most productive season in 2009, leading the Badgers in touchdown receptions (seven) while ranking second in catches (51) and receiving yards (624). The best game of his career came in a 33-31 loss to Northwestern on Nov. 21, when he had six receptions for 98 yards and two TDs. A first-team All-Big Ten selection by the media and second-team All-Big Ten by the coaches, Graham is a very good athlete who played tight end, defensive end, punter and kicker in high school. He caught one pass for 10 yards at the Senior Bowl and performed well at the NFL combine, ranking sixth among tight ends in the vertical jump, eighth in the bench press and fourth in the 20-yard shuttle. Graham is tough and durable, playing through several injuries in college while still maintaining a high level of play against top-notch competition in the Big Ten. Although a willing blocker who never shies away from bigger defenders, he lacks the size to blow opponents off the line and will need to get stronger. A strong final year at Wisconsin and good performances in the postseason workouts have helped Graham move up many draft boards, and he could go as high as the fourth or fifth round.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71452&page=10

TexCanada
04-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Ridiculous overreaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwTJ08lb73Q

NitroGSXR
04-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Yeah, some definite changes are coming.

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to keep Hill and let Dreesen go. 98% of fans here would be shocked, but I have seen them do cute things like that before. You just never know.

OD ought to be OK and back to almost his old self, so I don't think he's going anywhere THIS year. That's one TE.

Casey isn't going anywhere either. That's the second TE.

Dreesen and Hill are my likely candidates for a cut, leaving one as the third TE.

The newly-drafted guy will be on the practice squad as an emergency backup.

The newly-acquired free agent will work his ass off during camp, and can only remain if one or two guys go down to injury or some other development removes a TE or two from the roster.

3 ACL reconstructive surgeries has a way of taking it's toll on someone. Surgery blows. I firmly believe Owen Daniels will never be his old self again. I bet he ends up on IR to make room for Graham at some point. Hill? We'll stash him if he can't come out. He's a devastating blocker.

I really like this pick. I also bet we do take another TE and trade James Casey. He disappointed last season. This front office is tough to figure out but you've got to bank on them and their TEs. They love 'em and frankly so do I.

Errant Hothy
04-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Ridiculous overreaction.

From this board. Shocking!

Errant Hothy
04-24-2010, 10:44 AM
3 ACL reconstructive surgeries has a way of taking it's toll on someone. Surgery blows. I firmly believe Owen Daniels will never be his old self again. I bet he ends up on IR to make room for Graham at some point. Hill? We'll stash him if he can't come out. He's a devastating blocker.

I really like this pick. I also bet we do take another TE and trade James Casey. He disappointed last season. This front office is tough to figure out but you've got to bank on them and their TEs. They love 'em and frankly so do I.

Sadly, I think this may be the truth.

rmartin65
04-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Humph. Not happy with this draft. For the first time in 4 years (since I got interested in the draft, I am turning the TV off. And I am going off the boards for a while too. Have a good time guys.

Honoring Earl 34
04-24-2010, 10:49 AM
From this board. Shocking!

Maybe they don't give OD the big contract .

Ok everyone it's gonna be OK .

http://www.improveverywhere.com/images/sui00.jpg

Lucky
04-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Are we already giving up on ANthony Hill last year????
He's coming off (another) knee surgery.

I can understand that the Texans feel the need for another TE, as they are playing a ton of 3-4 defenses next year. They probably want to go 2 TE formation to cover up those 3-4 OLBs. But, I would think they would look for more established blocking TEs. Graham gives you what Daniels, Dreessen, and Casey give you. Anyway, if the Texans were going to take a TE, I guess they needed to at this point. As the TEs are coming off the board quickly.

DerekLee1
04-24-2010, 10:54 AM

Rex Ryan collecting QB's is a better analogy. In Kubiak's offensive system, TE's are crucial to both the run AND pass game, the way that DB's are crucial to Ryan's defensive scheme.

At first, I was scratching my head, but this makes more sense considering they're going to want at least 3 TE's on the team, and OD, Dreessen, and Hill are ALL coming off of surgery; and the importance of the position on this team. It's the LB selection before this that's more puzzling.

Pocky
04-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Humph. Not happy with this draft. For the first time in 4 years (since I got interested in the draft, I am turning the TV off. And I am going off the boards for a while too. Have a good time guys.
No, wait.. don't go.... your opinion matters so much to us

m5kwatts
04-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Rex Ryan collecting QB's is a better analogy. In Kubiak's offensive system, TE's are crucial to both the run AND pass game, the way that DB's are crucial to Ryan's defensive scheme.

At first, I was scratching my head, but this makes more sense considering they're going to want at least 3 TE's on the team, and OD, Dreessen, and Hill are ALL coming off of surgery; and the importance of the position on this team. It's the LB selection before this that's more puzzling.

Not just the run & pass but also in dissecting coverage, the Texans motion their TEs before every snap to expose man/zone coverage, this is so vital for Schaub. The TE in this offense is more important than your average moron football fan who doesn't know a lick about football and posts on message boards even knows.

rmartin65
04-24-2010, 11:06 AM

Nice one, oh ye of 40 posts. No where did I renounce my fan-ship. Nowhere did I demean or ridicule another poster. I just announced my feelings about this draft. If you dont like it, dont pay attention to it.

The Pencil Neck
04-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Nice one, oh ye of 40 posts. No where did I renounce my fan-ship. Nowhere did I demean or ridicule another poster. I just announced my feelings about this draft. If you dont like it, dont pay attention to it.

Actually, I took that as a serious post because your opinion does matter to us.

At least, it matters to some of us.

I'm not saying it matters necessarily to ME or anything.

TheRealJoker
04-24-2010, 11:12 AM
This could be a sign they may be moving Casey to FB full time. Or maybe Graham gets PT at FB?

Dreesen is a lock to make the roster. Say what you want about Kubiak but he takes care of the vets. He will not cut a guy who put his body on the line for us like Dreesen did last year. At one point he was starting TE and LS. Not to mention he's a damn good player that only improved after OD went down.

Hill may be a candidate for PUP since he tore his ACL towards the end of last season.

OD will be ready for TC. Maybe he doesn't play during the preseason but he is gonna practice.

For how much the TE means to this offense, and how they love TEs on special teams, the Texans want to make sure they have more than 2 TEs on gameday if they get hit by injuries at the position again this season.

ChampionTexan
04-24-2010, 11:15 AM
This is from over a month ago...

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1382857&postcount=165

Needless to say, I'm okay with a TE being picked, and I'm a little surprised that it's getting by many of you that there is the potential to have a real TE dilemma this year without additional help (and IMO Michael Gaines does not constitute additional help).

Errant Hothy
04-24-2010, 11:16 AM
OD is on his third ACL surgery, what has given everybody so much cofidence that he will be back to his old form?

Lucky
04-24-2010, 11:18 AM

Exactly. Let's keep comments to the draft and the players chosen.

gtexan02
04-24-2010, 12:20 PM
OD - coming off major surgery
Dreesen - coming of shoulder surgery
Hill - coming of major injury, basically a rookie
Casey - filled in averagely last year, not spectacular

Thats not a strength for our team

texasguy346
04-24-2010, 12:35 PM
I have to say I really like this pick. I'm certainly not a draft guru or anything but I did watch quite a few Wisconsin games. In every game I watched this guy was a major weapon for the Badgers. He has excellent hands, and he's an okay blocker. I remember thinking that he would certainly be the kind of guy the Texans would look at in the draft if TE wasn't such a strength for our team. I'm thinking that this pick was a BPA type of move, and I think when we look back at this draft in 3 or 4 years we'll all be very happy with this pick.

What this means for the current TEs on the Texans roster is anyone's guess. It could be a sign that the Texans are preparing for life after OD. With OD signing a waiver, essentially, so that he can participate in off-season activities it would seem as if negotiations are going well. That's just a guess on my part, but it certainly seems likely.

This may also be an indication that the Texans think they can improve from Joel Dreesen as the #2 TE. I think he performed pretty well down the stretch last year after we lost OD. However, I do think that Graham would be a major upgrade. My gut feeling is that we'll keep OD, Dreesen, Graham at our TE spots and keep Casey as a TE/FB like we did last year. This would leave Anthony Hill as the odd man out.

Jackie Chiles
04-24-2010, 12:50 PM
This would leave Anthony Hill as the odd man out.

Hate to write off a 4th rounder so quick but that might just be the case. I could see him starting off on PuP this year or going straight to IR. He looked real sketchy catching passes in preseason and I wonder if the coaching staff hasn't rethought the whole blocking TE thing. Having guys that can do both is the way to go in this offense imo. I hope Graham can be a player on STs.

ChampionTexan
04-24-2010, 12:54 PM
There's a number of folks on this board (me included) who believe that O.D. going down last year was a big blow to the offense, and while they eventually righted the ship somewhat, the fact is we lost the first four games in a row after he went down. Nobody can prove the existence or lack of existence of a cause and effect relationship, but I think it's a pretty safe bet it's a situation the Texans would have much preferred to have avoided.

I don't think drafting Graham says anything about O.D. that wasn't obvious before (and I really believe it's ridiculous to assume it means a trade is likely). Nor does it say anything new about Hill (everyone should have know it was a serious injury already). It simply means there's an unknown regarding the teams #1 TE and a reserve TE (which there has been from the moment each got injured), and you better be able to deal with reality if it turns out to be the wrong-side of either of those unknowns.

GP
04-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Putting a 4th round pick on the practice squad is pretty dangerous. He would have to go through waivers, and any other team that needs depth at TE could snatch him up. Handing another team our 4th round pick would be a huge waste.

IIRC, James Casey went to the practice squad at the last round of cuts at end of last summer.

We've had lots of guys who made it through waivers and ended up on the practice squad. Besides, any team out there can sign any team's practice squad members at any time. That's why there's no big push to snag someone's cuts because each team has its own cuts that they want to move onto their own practice squad(s).

So I think it's been the standard for Kubiak to grab depth and put those 4th-7th rounders on the practice squad for when we might need them...such as when OD went down and then other TEs starting coming up hurt. James Casey was elevated to the team's roster.

Jackie Chiles
04-24-2010, 01:07 PM
IIRC, James Casey went to the practice squad at the last round of cuts at end of last summer.

We've had lots of guys who made it through waivers and ended up on the practice squad. Besides, any team out there can sign any team's practice squad members at any time. That's why there's no big push to snag someone's cuts because each team has its own cuts that they want to move onto their own practice squad(s).

So I think it's been the standard for Kubiak to grab depth and put those 4th-7th rounders on the practice squad for when we might need them...such as when OD went down and then other TEs starting coming up hurt. James Casey was elevated to the team's roster.

I don't think thats correct, Casey was on the roster the entire year. He might have been inactive during the first few games though, I cannot recall. He certainly was never on the PS.

Brisco_County
04-24-2010, 01:32 PM

I think Rick Smith collects TE's like crazy ladies collect cats.

V Man
04-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Ridiculous overreaction.

Oh I am sorry, didn't realize the opinion police was on.

And you are right, we need more TE's maybe we should just draft that position from now on.

The Pencil Neck
04-24-2010, 02:15 PM

And you are right, we need more TE's maybe we should just draft that position from now on.

And maybe we have a need at TE and we filled it.

Did you ever think of that?

Brisco_County
04-24-2010, 02:19 PM

GB2OU LOL

They'll give Casey more time to grow. He's smart and coachable.

Adding new TE's to the roster could possibly secure OD's status. We're in a better position to offer a long term, conditional contract when we have the appropriate insurance behind him. If our insurance is all gimpy too, we won't be in a position to offer him anything he'd like.

You should ask Rick Smith if they have a need for a whining back.

El Tejano
04-24-2010, 03:36 PM
With OD: 5-3 with best record after 8 games in our short franchise history.
Without OD: Four game losing streak to division rivals to put our playoff hopes in the trash can.

People wondering why we are trying to strengthen the TE position: Priceless.

Wolf
04-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Madison - Wisconsin tight end Garrett Graham was selected by the Houston Texans in the fourth round of the National Football League draft Saturday morning.

Graham was taken with the 20th pick of the fourth round, No. 118 overall. The Texans finished second in the AFC South last seson with a 9-7 record but failed to make the playoffs.

"I was shocked and excited," Graham said in a conference call with reporters who cover the Texans. "I'm just grateful to get the opportunity to play in the NFL and have a great opportunity to go to a franchise like the Texans. I'm just really looking forward to it."

A first-team All-Big Ten pick as a senior after catching 51 passes for 724 yards and six touchdowns, Graham was the first UW player taken.

The Texans drafted another UW tight end, Owen Daniels, in the fourth round of the 2006 draft.

Daniels developed into a solid performer with 207 catches for 2,501 yards (12.1 yards per reception) and 15 touchdowns in four seasons. However, he suffered a season-ending knee injury last season and played in only eight games.

"I know quite a bit about Owen Daniels," Graham said. "I was a freshman when he was a senior at Wisconsin. I followed him quite a bit. He is a great guy to watch and definitely be a great guy to learn under...

"Up until my senior year we watched film on him on certain plays and what he did. I definitely picked up on the things that he did and his game and tried to carry it over to mine."

Graham, 6-foot-3 and 244 pounds, started three seasons for UW. He finished with 121 receptions for 1,492 yards (12.3-yard average) and 16 touchdowns.

"I'm a complete tight end," Graham said when asked to describe his game. "I can block and stretch the field. I have good hands. I kind of have a knack for the first downs in the red zone."

The Texans last year drafted tight ends Anthony Hill and James Casey last year, but Daniels and Hill are coming off of ACL surgery and tight end Joel Dreessen had shoulder surgery after the season.

"I'm going to do what I can," Graham said regarding the competition for playing time. "I'm going to come in there and play my hardest...

"I was thinking I would be drafted by Dallas or the Falcons, but this probably couldn't be a better offense for the type of tight end that I am. This is going to be a great opportunity."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/92004019.html

TimeKiller
04-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Hmmm....getting awful crowded in the TE/FB area. Seems like a good player but damn, really? Gonna pass on getting a safety just like that? I guess so. Here's to the Texans knowing more about football than me!

m5kwatts
04-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Via Mike Mayock NFL.com

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/883

The Texans get a really solid player here in Graham. He can line up in-line and compete as a blocker, but probably more effective as an H-Back. He had 51 catches as a senior, and was a three-year starter in one of the most competitive conferences in the country. He has average speed, but a strong, tough kid who will compete.

The Third Man
04-24-2010, 04:34 PM

It's a good move. You don't seem to be able to handle the very serious business of following the NFL.

rmartin65
04-24-2010, 04:39 PM

It's a good move. You don't seem to be able to handle the very serious business of following the NFL.

Read the thread. Just because I get upset about draft picks does not mean I am not a fan.

ObsiWan
04-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Read the thread. Just because I get upset about draft picks does not mean I am not a fan.

it probably means you ARE a fan.
indifference - to me - would indicate you weren't a fan

GP
04-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't think thats correct, Casey was on the roster the entire year. He might have been inactive during the first few games though, I cannot recall. He certainly was never on the PS.

Maybe that's right. I thought he was on the PS, then they brought him up but had him inactive for awhile.

GP
04-24-2010, 05:11 PM
it probably means you ARE a fan.
indifference - to me - would indicate you weren't a fan

I'm not a fan. And nobody can make me become one.

Go Cowboys. :evil:

ObsiWan
04-24-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm not a fan. And nobody can make me become one.

Go Cowboys. :evil:
yeah, but you're not indifferent either

stingray
04-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Garrett Graham had much better stats than Owen Daniels at Wisconsin.

V Man
04-24-2010, 06:54 PM
You should ask Rick Smith if they have a need for a whining back.

Maybe so, at least we know you have the arse kissing yes man spot covered.

The Pencil Neck
04-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Maybe that's right. I thought he was on the PS, then they brought him up but had him inactive for awhile.

He wasn't on the PS, he just wasn't activated for the first few games.

Scooter
04-24-2010, 08:30 PM
well, the last time i was hollering about us passing on a safety still on the board (i think he went to buffalo), we ended up with owen daniels. we definitely ended up with the best of that deal. i'm not thrilled with this pick to say the least, but i guess i'll hold judgement until we see graham on the field.

Grid
04-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Dunno if someone has already mentioned this..

but David Anderson said Graham can have #89 for 3 million dollars :lol:

http://twitter.com/owendaniels/status/12780382725
http://twitter.com/whiteout89/status/12786745841

TheRealJoker
04-25-2010, 12:51 AM
well, the last time i was hollering about us passing on a safety still on the board (i think he went to buffalo), we ended up with owen daniels. we definitely ended up with the best of that deal. i'm not thrilled with this pick to say the least, but i guess i'll hold judgement until we see graham on the field.

OD > Ko Robinson.

TheRealJoker
04-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Dunno if someone has already mentioned this..

but David Anderson said Graham can have #89 for 3 million dollars :lol:

http://twitter.com/owendaniels/status/12780382725
http://twitter.com/whiteout89/status/12786745841

I remember DA did an interview, I think it was last season, where he stated that the reason he wears # 89 is it's a popular WR number. He hopes that someone like Steve Smith will come to Houston and pay him big money for the number.

DA is a shrewd businessman!!!

Maddict5
04-25-2010, 05:30 AM
OD > Ko Robinson.

*Simpson

Porky
04-25-2010, 06:33 AM
Just for comparison sake, I pulled up an original OD scouting report. Other than the fact that OD has about a half second on him in the 40, they are eerily similar.

Pros: Daniels has been a very versatile player, moving from quarterback to wide receiver and then finally growing into a tight end position. He has a strong, lean frame with the growth potential to fill out further. He has very quick feet and is better when he is playing as a moving tight end or H-Back, rather than playing as an inline performer. As a receiver, he shows good body control and leaping ability. He has very good speed and fine hands. He will challenge the middle of the field and he has the athleticism to make the tough catch.
Cons: He is somewhat of an injury concern, having twice torn his left ACL and once tearing his left MCL. As an inline blocker, he lacks the pop to get consistent movement at the point of attack.
Numbers: In 11 games a senior, he caught 22 passes for 268 yards and four touchdowns. As a junior, he caught 25 passes for 391 yards and two touchdowns. At the combine, he weighed in at 253 pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.65 seconds and did 23 reps of the 225-pound bench press. He had a vertical jump of 34˝ inches and 9’6” broad jump.

link (http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=4070&type=scoutingreport#scouting)

m5kwatts
04-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Garrett Graham had much better stats than Owen Daniels at Wisconsin.

Speaking of comparing the two, I just saw Graham's picture and he looks disturbingly similar to Owen. Its like Smithiak went into the lab and created themselves a FrankenDaniels

http://twitter.com/gra89ham

Look at that visage on his twitter background, tell me that doesn't look like OD.

WolverineFan
04-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Speaking of comparing the two, I just saw Graham's picture and he looks disturbingly similar to Owen. Its like Smithiak went into the lab and created themselves a FrankenDaniels

Look at that visage on his twitter background, tell me that doesn't look like OD.

Graham looks like an OD clone coming out of college and his game and stats are similar to that of Jason Witten when he came out. I think this could be the long term replacement if we move OD.

TheRealJoker
04-25-2010, 07:26 PM
*Simpson

You are correct sir... was thinking of our former # 23 when I wrote the post.

ChampionTexan
04-25-2010, 07:44 PM

Let's hope he fixed that nasty little problem with his knees.

False Start
04-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Speaking of comparing the two, I just saw Graham's picture and he looks disturbingly similar to Owen. Its like Smithiak went into the lab and created themselves a FrankenDaniels.

:heh:

You maybe on to something.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Player/video/GRAHAM_GARRETT_06.JPG

beerlover
04-25-2010, 11:52 PM
covering the bases pick, see him on practice squad.

maddogmrb
04-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Perfect! I'm glad we don't have needs at G, C, FS, backup QB, DT .......

Blake
04-26-2010, 09:45 AM

Here is an idea. Why dont you go into each of our 9 draft picks threads, and write the same thing?

Oh wait, you already did!

JB
04-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Here is an idea. Why dont you go into each of our 9 draft picks threads, and write the same thing?

Oh wait, you already did!

:lol: I am guessing we did not draft his idol

BigBull17
04-26-2010, 10:50 AM

G-Check
DT-Check
Back up QB-maybe, signed UFA

We signed a C/G in Wade Smith. Signed John David Booty. We filled holes in the off season, which allowed them to look more for BPA.

maddogmrb
04-26-2010, 11:13 AM
G-Check
DT-Check

We signed a C/G in Wade Smith. Signed John David Booty. We filled holes in the off season, which allowed them to look more for BPA.

Dammm, you're so right! Wade Smith is really going to be a top 25 guard in this league. That's why it was such a coup for us to steal him out from under all the other teams that were fighting for his services!

Oh yeah, I forgot about Booty, he's a top notch backup on every teams radar! Are you kidding me???

DT - we drafted another under-sized pass rushing DT just like Amobi Okoye and that has worked out so well for us. And he is going to keep those big OLineman off Demeco Ryans, right?

Blake
04-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Sticky: Shelley Smith OG Colorado State- 6th round selection (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71473) (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/misc/multipage.gif 1 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71473) 2 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71473&page=2) 3 (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71473&page=3))

Good pick at a position of need.

Dammm, you're so right! Wade Smith is really going to be a top 25 guard in this league. That's why it was such a coup for us to steal him out from under all the other teams that were fighting for his services!

So do you like the pick or not?

MojoMan
04-26-2010, 11:38 AM

I think to make you happy, the Texans would need to draft a player at each of those positions in the first two rounds. The problem is, of course, that the Texans only have two picks in the first two rounds. And this year, the highest and best use for those picks was to pick a CB and a RB. Which is what they used them for.

The Texans have acquired players at most of the positions you mentioned above, and the clock is still ticking. They have another couple of months before training camp to sign more.

As far as obtaining first and second round talent at all of those positions, that is just not going to be achievable as fast as you would like.

Going into next years draft, it is my sense that the Texans greatest areas of need are shaping up to be Center and Free Safety. If they add another Defensive Tackle in the third, then they will still have room to draft a fourth string OT and a project at QB. After that, who cares? Anyone who can make the team will be a welcome addition.

The Texans roster is shaping up nicely, and despite a few remaining holes, the future looks bright.

Cheer up dude. It's all good. :)

BigBull17
04-26-2010, 12:55 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about Booty, he's a top notch backup on every teams radar! Are you kidding me???

DT - we drafted another under-sized pass rushing DT just like Amobi Okoye and that has worked out so well for us. And he is going to keep those big OLineman off Demeco Ryans, right?

Well, who would you want at QB? Colt McCoy? We werent gonna spend a pick on a back up. We have Orlovski, Booty, and Sheehan. Wade Smith is a very capable back up(who may start), who they put a high premium on. They dont feel a fat boy DT fits their system. We as fans sometimes feel we know what their needs are, when we have no idea what the team thinks.

El Tejano
04-26-2010, 01:12 PM
G-Check
DT-Check

Keep in mind JDB was signed at the very end of last season so he's had more than an offseason to study and get ready for our camp.

El Tejano
04-26-2010, 01:18 PM
The way I see Garrett Graham (who was the 60th best player on my board) is we now have possibly two Owen Daniels on the field at one time when we run our two TE set. Pick your poison!

Rey
04-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Garrett Graham, TE, Wisconsin
Fourth round (118th overall)

Strahm: "6-3, 247. From Memorial High School up in Jersey. Two-time captain, three-year starter. Has his degree. A very versatile athlete. Full-speed player. Excellent, excellent catching radius. He's got great hands. Shows a lot of production in the passing game. Could be used as a slot receiver, a wing guy, a movement type of guy. He's got natural hands. Very business-like in his approach. Almost a protégé to our other tight end, (Owen) Daniels. Big upside. I think he had over 50 receptions and seven TDs this year. We really like this kid. He's really on the come."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6136