View Full Version : Darryl Sharpton LB - U of Miami- 4th round selection

ArlingtonTexan
04-24-2010, 09:20 AM
first non-immediate need pick

stingray
04-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Seems like a smart athletic player.

Overview
Sharpton has the game typical of linebackers from the "U" -- speed, versatility and explosive hitting. He was well known for his work in the classroom as on the gridiron. Recruited by many of the top football programs across the country, Sharpton also turned down the likes of Stanford, Boston College and Brown University to remain in his home state.

He appeared to be the next in a long line of star linebackers early on for the 'Canes, earning Freshman All-American accolades from some organizations after registering 41 tackles and four tackles for loss in 2006.

His production steadily rose over the next two years (57 tackles in 2007, 66 in '08) so too was the concern that Sharpton, who had seen action at all three linebacker positions, hadn?t yet emerged as a consistent starter at any of the them -- despite obvious talent.

Sharpton emerged as Miami's best defensive player and earned co-MVP honors with left tackle Jason Fox. The starting inside linebacker for all 13 games, Sharpton exploded for 106 tackles, including 65 solo stops, to earn second-team all-ACC honors and a berth in the Senior Bowl.

Sharpton is viewed by some scouts and as an ascending talent and a better athlete than football player. His experience at multiple positions is an asset, though some consider him to be a bit of a 'tweener, with the athleticism (but not the size) for the outside but not the instincts and use of hands to defeat blocks playing inside.

Analysis
Read & React: Reacts aggressively to attack the line of scrimmage to stop the run, but is fooled by play-action. Lags when diagnosing the action, bouncing laterally before making the correct read and flowing to the ball. While slow to diagnose, Sharpton does have an explosive burst and very good acceleration to close.

Run defense: Inconsistent diagnosing the action, but has an explosive burst to close once he locates the football. Questionable angles to the ball, but has very good speed for the inside linebacker position and can get away with taking poor angles. Not as fast on the field as he is in workouts, though he can beat the back to the sideline and catch ballcarriers from behind. Undersized and lacks the explosive upper-body strength and use of hands to take on and discard blocks from offensive linemen and is too often engulfed by bigger blockers in close quarters. Relies on his good lateral agility to elude blocks, but will pick a side and attempt to fight through blocks, exposing cutback lanes. Doesn't have the balance to break down in space to make tackles against elusive backs. Doesn't protect his knees well enough for a player with his experience.

Pass defense: Inconsistent diagnosing the action. Bites hard on play-action and can be beaten over the top despite being faster than his opponent. Struggles changing direction, further limiting his effectiveness in man coverage. Gains good depth on his drops, but relies on reading the eyes of the quarterback rather than displaying a good feel for coverage. Had only one career INT.

Tackling: A big hitter, but fails to wrap up too often, allowing stronger and more balanced ballcarriers opportunities to run through his tackle attempts. Improved in this area as a senior but still has a tendency to leave his feet and lunge. Good chase linebacker with rare acceleration for the position. Potential to be a special teams standout because of his straight-line speed and explosive hitting ability.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Times the blitz well and can close quickly when given a lane. Shows good lateral agility, including a legitimate jump-cut to elude blockers. Lacks an array of pass-rush moves, but explodes into blockers and can drive them back with a good bull rush due to strength, aggression and natural leverage advantage. Good strength for the pull-down tackle.

Intangibles: Took on more of a leadership role as a senior, devoting much more time to the film room. Struggled early in his career with a variety of knee and ankle injuries. Graduated from high school as part of the prestigious International Baccalaureate program. Also recruited by Boston College, Stanford and Brown University. Earned his degree in finance and entrepreneurship. Nephew of the Reverend Al Sharpton.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/558597

kiwitexansfan
04-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Versatile LB, can play all the spots, book smart guy, athletic, hasn't reached his potential yet.

First pick I can't buy into.

blitz90
04-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Versatile LB, can play all the spots, book smart guy, athletic, hasn't reached his potential yet.

Word.

eriadoc
04-24-2010, 09:27 AM
All the downsides but size seem coachable. Getting a great athlete in the 4th that's coachable is not a bad pickup at all.

gary
04-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Is this the Texans pick?

GuerillaBlack
04-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Would have rather went for some OL depth with this pick.

Honoring Earl 34
04-24-2010, 09:29 AM

To me it means that Adibi has fallen out of favor and Sharpton will be the next in line .

GuerillaBlack
04-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Is this the Texans pick?

Of course it is. ;)

gary
04-24-2010, 09:31 AM
I just saw the pick on T.V.

LonerATO
04-24-2010, 09:37 AM
With needs still at DB I just don't understand this pick

Maddict5
04-24-2010, 09:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rne2YpK-6cM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE4MAGA1xn4

Hardcore Texan
04-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Would have rather went for some OL depth with this pick.

Exactly or another DB......I don't get this pick at all. And effin NFLN didn't even cover it, they went to commercial and then didn't show any highlights.....mutha*********

Hardcore Texan
04-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Just another Adibi I am guessing.......

New_Texans
04-24-2010, 09:41 AM
athletic guy, undersized like Dat Nguyen and Dexter Coakley, has a lot of potential adds depth (after diles) and speed to a position where, after meco and kinda cushing, we dont have much of it.

NitroGSXR
04-24-2010, 09:43 AM
We've had great success with former Hurricanes but Al Sharpton's nephew? The Texans locker room just got helluva more PC. Angry black men can't be too bad for our team. I hope he projects his anger on the field. I hope he came to play football, not bicker with the allegedly neo-nazi Cushing (facebook incident).

I'm very surprised by it but I like the pick VERY much. He's a Smithiak 4th rounder so bank on him being a starter. Ha!

:fans:

4Texans
04-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Why??????? Why????????????

So we need a back-up LB and special teams player the 4th pick????????????

I'm not on board with this pick at all.

nytexan
04-24-2010, 09:48 AM
athletic guy, undersized like Dat Nguyen and Dexter Coakley, has a lot of potential adds depth (after diles) and speed to a position where, after meco and kinda cushing, we dont have much of it.

Adds speed???? 4.81 40 time doesn't sound like speed to me. I'm not sure what they saw in this guy with all the OL's and DT's still on the board.

New_Texans
04-24-2010, 09:49 AM
We've had great success with former Hurricanes but Al Sharpton's nephew? The Texans locker room just got helluva more PC. Angry black men can't be too bad for our team. I hope he projects his anger on the field. I hope he came to play football, not bicker with the allegedly neo-nazi Cushing (facebook incident).

I'm very surprised by it but I like the pick VERY much. He's a Smithiak 4th rounder so bank on him being a starter. Ha!

:fans:

Yeah i chuckled at that too but i doubt it'll change anything--if this Sharpton kid is as smart as people make him out to be he won't let that happen. Besides, he was a business major, he probably knows that putting politics into a locker room won't be smart for his future.

LikeMike
04-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Well they must see a hellofa player in him... LB is not a position of need, and several DBs and O-Line guys are still out there, so I guess they went best player available. Sounds like a good guy though... I´d prefered Rolle, Tennant, Franks or AOA...

New_Texans
04-24-2010, 09:54 AM
at least our head scratching pick is in the 4th and not earlier...like the jags.

gary
04-24-2010, 09:54 AM
The Texans have had good luck with fourth round draft picks so you never know. I would have rather seen them go O.L. or D.B. though.

Pollardized
04-24-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm not too big on the pick from a NEEDS standpoint..... But I have to say, he KNOCKED THE PISS out of the big white guy. Maybe he hates white people? (Peyton Manning is white, I think)

Brandon420tx
04-24-2010, 09:56 AM
If Diles keeps playing as well as he has been some team is going to give him money and it might not be the Texans. It never hurts to start developing backup plans.

barrett
04-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Anybody found anything about him excelling as a special teams player? It would make good sense if so.

Honoring Earl 34
04-24-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm not too big on the pick from a NEEDS standpoint..... But I have to say, he KNOCKED THE PISS out of the big white guy. Maybe he hates white people? (Peyton Manning is white, I think)

So is Dallas Clark .

gary
04-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Just when you think you are deep one spot things might change all of a sudden and you are not quite as safe.

spurstexanstros
04-24-2010, 10:02 AM
first non-immediate need pick

I disagree ..in the third round we draft another d-lineman

The1ApplePie
04-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Passed on Navarro Bowman for this guy?

Seriously?

No More 8-8's
04-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Another Tight End!

JimC
04-24-2010, 10:18 AM
I don't know anything about this guy, but the Texans needed LB depth. They have 3 good starters and 1-2 solid backups. They need 6 good linebackers for both depth and special teams.

I like picking the position. I guess I'll have to trust the Texans that they got the best guy.

OzzO
04-24-2010, 10:22 AM
3rd string as needed to play any spot? Since the overview notes he tends to bite early on plays but can close the gap when he sees the football, question from left field, would that translate to more a possible FS position?

GP
04-24-2010, 10:25 AM
They're going to put this guy on special teams, I can feel it.

Jackie Chiles
04-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Passed on Navarro Bowman for this guy?

Seriously?

I thought he went in the third.

m5kwatts
04-24-2010, 10:35 AM
This guy does fill a NEED, special teams is a phase of the game too. Also, this puts Bentley and Adibi on notice. Moreso Adibi whose shown basically nothing in 2 years.

OzzO
04-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Per Nick Scurfield's twitter (http://twitter.com/NickScurfield)
Texans LB coach Johnny Holland on Sharpton: Versatile, can play MIKE or WILL, compact, very explosive, physical. They like his energy

Errant Hothy
04-24-2010, 10:49 AM
I thought he went in the third.

He did.

The Pencil Neck
04-24-2010, 10:49 AM
3rd string as needed to play any spot? Since the overview notes he tends to bite early on plays but can close the gap when he sees the football, question from left field, would that translate to more a possible FS position?

No. He's not even close to fast enough for the FS.

leebigeztx
04-24-2010, 10:56 AM
When u draft later, you want versitility to save roster spots. Being able to play all 3 spots and special teams makes this a good pick. Just as coaches have gone to 7 ol and want 8 dl, they also want lb's who can play special teams. With the new rules against the wedge, players wearing #50's is what coaches are looking for.

m5kwatts
04-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Everything I've read about Sharpton really reminds me of Zac Diles. Has all the things you need in an LB'cker except size, the one big knock they say his size lends to getting washed easily in the run game. The same thing was said about Diles.

Brisco_County
04-24-2010, 02:30 PM
This team needs depth. Badly. I'm fine with this pick.

TimeKiller
04-24-2010, 03:44 PM
This just seems like a wasted pick. LB depth could be had in the....7TH ROUND...they need FS, OG/OC....come on LB is a strength on this team, 4 deep with starters. Put Adibi on notice? He's on notice as a depth guy? Just cut him if he's that bad.

His scouting report seems kind of bad. Excellent athlete but small and doesn't have a high football IQ. I just...I don't know. Hopefully he'll have more of an impact than Anthony Hill.

Nawzer
04-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Good special teams guy.

Rey
04-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Kubiak was on the radio earlier and he mentioned that Joe Marciano is always asking for players for his special teams unit, I'm thinking that this guy may be a guy that can really help on special teams...

GP
04-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Kubiak was on the radio earlier and he mentioned that Joe Marciano is always asking for players for his special teams unit, I'm thinking that this guy may be a guy that can really help on special teams...

Just based on the pick, I had a feeling it was for special teams.

IIRC, we're using Glen Martinez, and maybe one of the two LBs we have (Adibi or Diles, can't remember which one) on special teams. Need to get some new blood in there or we're gonna' get the other guys banged up and hurt.

GuerillaBlack
04-24-2010, 06:32 PM
So is Dallas Clark .

And Vince Young.

Though, Dallas Clark has some black in him.

Honoring Earl 34
04-24-2010, 06:33 PM
And Vince Young.

He can be grandfathered if it makes Sharpton stick him .

Pollardized
04-24-2010, 06:45 PM
He can be grandfathered if it makes Sharpton stick him .

Doubt it would be the first time vince has been "stuck"

http://www.webwiseforradio.com/site_files/323/Image/Press_Box/Vince_Young_Drunk.jpg

GuerillaBlack
04-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Doubt it would be the first time vince has been "stuck"

http://www.webwiseforradio.com/site_files/323/Image/Press_Box/Vince_Young_Drunk.jpg

+rep.

The Pencil Neck
04-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Just based on the pick, I had a feeling it was for special teams.

IIRC, we're using Glen Martinez, and maybe one of the two LBs we have (Adibi or Diles, can't remember which one) on special teams. Need to get some new blood in there or we're gonna' get the other guys banged up and hurt.

Actually, Adibi, Diles, and Bentley all play on ST. This guy comes in and challenges Bentley and Adibi for a spot, I think.

Allstar
04-24-2010, 09:27 PM
http://www.facebook.com/BenTateRB/posts/120776511273018#!/video/video.php?v=795995291961&ref=nf

Also:

Gary Kubiak
(on if Sharpton will play in the middle of the line) "We think he can play the Will linebacker, he'll work as a back up Mike linebacker as well. One of the things that was intriguing about this pick was the fact that he's a very smart young man, good special teams player. We think he'll be able to handle all the spots for us as a swing player and compete possibly to be a starter on the team."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6133

Grid
04-25-2010, 12:30 AM
Well he has a nickname already

http://twitter.com/ericwinston/status/12766262163

TheRealJoker
04-25-2010, 12:50 AM
Nice hit:

rmartin65
04-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Nice hit:

Its really not... The guy was already horizontal in the air by the time Sharpton but his shoulder into the guy's head. Anyone could do that.

PHAROAH
04-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Sharpton is a hard nose player.

TexCanada
04-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Its really not... The guy was already horizontal in the air by the time Sharpton but his shoulder into the guy's head. Anyone could do that.

Agreed, I don't know why people are impressed by that clip.

Lucky
04-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Agreed, I don't know why people are impressed by that clip.
It's the visual of seeing a guy's helmet fly off. Spooky.

painekiller
04-25-2010, 11:54 AM

Add to that he is slow, how can a guy play the WILL that is slow? He plays slows, watch a game, he is solid against the run, but he can not cover. AJ Edds can cover, now Edds is not as physical as Sharpton, so lets see how he goes.

Color me not impressed by this pick.

I liked Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Dennis Pitta if you where going TE and AJ Edds better.

Pocky
04-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Nice hit:

Paralyzing hit; gotta feel sorry for the offensive guy. Going to be next in line of hard hitting LBs in
the NFL from the U.

If we can get Molden back next year, our kickoff/punting is going to be real exciting. Sharpton, Molden, and Andre Davis(if he stays) would be a good trio of special team aces.

HuttoKarl
04-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Well he has a nickname already

http://twitter.com/ericwinston/status/12766262163

"Radio" is VY's nickname.

NitroGSXR
04-25-2010, 12:17 PM
It's the visual of seeing a guy's helmet fly off. Spooky.

It was the football coming out that did it for me. This guy just about blacked out watching the football rolling around. It was a better camera shot than the actual hit.

Lucky
04-25-2010, 12:19 PM
"Radio" is VY's nickname.
I thought it was "The Sausage King"?

painekiller
04-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Anybody found anything about him excelling as a special teams player? It would make good sense if so.

Most NFL special teamers have not played STs prior to the NFL unless they are a returners or walk on types. Most college teams do not have their starters playing ST, just like the NFL, they do not want to risk the player to a chance of injury.

In the NFL the roster is so small many of the back 7 guys will be force to play ST, but in college where they suit up a 100 players for home games, not an issue.

beerlover
04-26-2010, 12:03 AM
don't know what to say other than he kicks ass. call him the assaissin. very similar to Pollard coming out of College, very physical & will emplode through ball carrier. The Texans are evolving into a physical & athletic team both on defense & offense.

HuttoKarl
04-26-2010, 08:07 AM
I thought it was "The Sausage King"?

You're thinking of Abe Frohman...the Sausage King of Chicago.

maddogmrb
04-26-2010, 09:05 AM
Another under-sized MLB to play behind our under-sized DT's.

I didn't know we were the Saints or Colts and could afford to take this kind of pick because we didn't have other needs......

Blake
04-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Another under-sized MLB to play behind our under-sized DT's.

I didn't know we were the Saints or Colts and could afford to take this kind of pick because we didn't have other needs......

Guy, he is not going to be playing MLB. He is going to be competing on the weakside to push Diles.

maddogmrb
04-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Guy, he is not going to be playing MLB. He is going to be competing on the weakside to push Diles.

Okay, so he's under-sized for the weakside and this was such a position of weakness on the team last year.

Super Mario, I just don't understand your blind love for everything Rick Smith does. His first 2 picks of this draft were "okay to pretty good" .... 5 of the last 7 were very questionable as NONE of them addressed a team weakness.

HOU-TEX
04-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Okay, so he's under-sized for the weakside and this was such a position of weakness on the team last year.

Super Mario, I just don't understand your blind love for everything Rick Smith does. His first 2 picks of this draft were "okay to pretty good" .... 5 of the last 7 were very questionable as NONE of them addressed a team weakness.

Or, maybe SM's willing to wait and see how things pan out before knee-jerkin on particular draft picks? Plus, he'a a 4th rounder and he's young. Why woundn't he be able to add weight while getting the experience behind the starting 3 in addition to ST's.

Blake
04-26-2010, 10:53 AM

Its not "blind love" for Rick Smith. Its that you dont even know what you are saying before you post it. You just dont know about the player so you hate it. Just admit it. Your lack of knowledge on the "prospect" is why you dislike them.

The Pencil Neck
04-26-2010, 10:54 AM

TE's not a weakness? Prior to the day of the draft, we had 1 TE available for OTAs/TC. We got Garrett Graham for this and signed some FAs.

DT's not a weakness? We drafted Earl Mitchell in the 3rd to try to upgrade Okoye.

OG's not a weakness? We've all been talking about the problem with the interior of the o-line and we drafted Shelley Smith who could turn out to be an excellent choice.

CB's not a weakness? Besides Jackson, we drafted McManis and this puts Molden and Bennett on call.

The only weakness that they didn't address is the FS and they don't consider that a weakness. And you were talking in one thread about backup QB and I think they don't consider that a weakness because they think they've got their guy with Orlovsky and picked up John David Booty.

So, from the way I see it, the only picks that weren't "need" picks were Sharpton and Dickerson.

maddogmrb
04-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Its not "blind love" for Rick Smith. Its that you dont even know what you are saying before you post it. You just dont know about the player so you hate it. Just admit it. Your lack of knowledge on the "prospect" is why you dislike them.

No, it is not about the individual player, it is about drafting for the needs of the team. I'm sure Shapton is a good player, but WE DON"T NEED HIM!

We DO NEED G, C, FS, big DT, and backup QB. Those ARE ALL legitimate team weaknesses. Which one will Shapton fill?

TimeKiller
04-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Darryl Sharpton is one of those guys who doesn't look very good on paper, but when you watch him on the field, it's hard not to be impressed with the guy. Sharpton is undersized, and doesn't have ideal straight line speed (4.78). He also needs some coaching, he needs to better recognize offensive sets, and be more confident with his reads, as he is often late to the play. Also needs to be coached on wrapping up on his tackles better. As mentioned he looks much better on the field than he does on paper, he is quicker than he is fast, is very physical, and does a very good job in coverage. Sharpton's best fit could be in a cover 2 defense, where he will play a lot of zone coverage, and take on fewer blockers, but has experience playing all 3 linebacker positions in a 4-3 defense. Part of the reason why I like Sharpton is because most of his flaws are things that can be fixed with N.F.L level coaching. At the very least, Sharpton will be an effective special teamer. He is a mid round prospect, should go about round 4.

I just don't know what to think. Seems like he's got some tools but size is a definite issue if he's going to top out at 230 (and that's pretty much the heaviest I've seen him listed) Coupled with the fact that he's not a safety....I think I've been more impressed with a few other 4th round picks.

Jackie Chiles
04-26-2010, 12:11 PM
No, it is not about the individual player, it is about drafting for the needs of the team. I'm sure Shapton is a good player, but WE DON"T NEED HIM!

We DO NEED G, C, FS, big DT, and backup QB. Those ARE ALL legitimate team weaknesses. Which one will Shapton fill?

Who is this "Shapton" that you speak of?

Seriously, they drafted the best player on their board, that's the best way to go, especially in the mid/later rounds. What is the point of drafting a guy at a position of need that can't play? If you disagree and say player x was just plain better than Sharpton then that's an opinion, but we are going to have to wait a couple of years at least to see how all these guys pan out.

Blake
04-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Who is this "Shapton" that you speak of?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leanne_Shapton

I found em! Apparently we drafted a Canadian artist and graphic novelist, now living in New York.

http://cache.thephoenix.com/secure/uploadedImages/The_Phoenix/Arts/Books/_ASF7893.jpg

I hope she can take a hit.

TexCanada
04-26-2010, 12:19 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leanne_Shapton

I found em! Apparently we drafted a Canadian artist and graphic novelist, now living in New York.

http://cache.thephoenix.com/secure/uploadedImages/The_Phoenix/Arts/Books/_ASF7893.jpg

I hope she can take a hit.

She looks like she may have taken a few 'hits" of something already

TimeKiller
04-26-2010, 01:52 PM
She looks like she may have taken a few 'hits" of something already

Shovel?

Rey
04-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Darryl Sharpton, LB, Miami (Fla.)
Fourth round (102nd overall)

Strahm: "Two-year starter from Coral Gables (Fla.) High School. Inside linebacker, 5-11½, 230 pounds. What we like about this guy, he's got a quick trigger. He's a quick reactor to what he sees. He's got great what we call FBIs – football instincts. He's got great keys. He attacks downhill. We love his motor. He puts his hat on the ball carrier. He's an every-down player. Very aggressive in his style of play. Has his degree. Very bright, has a GPA of 3.0. Nephew of Rev. Al Sharpton – I think he was praying for us, because we were praying for this kid. But what he has is what we call body shock. It's like a prize fighter. I mean, when he hits you, boom – you feel it. He's got body shock on contact. We think he's really going to help us on special teams and be a role player for us with a chance to start."

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71461&page=4

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Mods? Can we fix the title of this thread and get this poor guy's name right?

buddyboy
04-27-2010, 03:23 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71461&page=4

If this guy turns out to be a real force on the defense, I'm liking that as a nickname.

"Body Shock"

Boom.

El Tejano
04-27-2010, 03:37 PM

Since when do we not need good players?

I believe the Texans took this approach when they drafted Okoye over Reevis and Willis. We already had Dunta, and we already had Ryans. Okoye had a real high ceiling vs. being able to start right away. We didn't need a CB and a LB as much as we needed a DT. We are paying for that right now.

El Tejano
04-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Why do I think Al Smith when I see this dude?

buddyboy
04-27-2010, 07:16 PM

I believe the Texans took this approach when they drafted Okoye over Reevis and Willis. We already had Dunta, and we already had Ryans. Okoye had a real high ceiling vs. being able to start right away. We didn't need a CB and a LB as much as we needed a DT. We are paying for that right now.

Right. Drafting for what you need is important, let's not discount the fact you need to draft for need.

But there comes a critical point where the need versus best player available starts to sway into the favor of BPA. Players in the fourth through seventh round I think should be BPA, because if you're drafting for NEED at that point...well, you're probably not going to be getting a starter.

Obviously drafting for need and drafting the BPA simultaneously in the same player would be awesome though, just unrealistic 90% of the time.

NitroGSXR
04-27-2010, 07:44 PM
TPN, you do realize a mod created this thread? What makes you think they're going to change it?

:texan:

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2010, 09:03 PM
TPN, you do realize a mod created this thread? What makes you think they're going to change it?

:texan:

I think the Mods are big enough to man up and admit when they make a spelling misteak.

:gun:

beerlover
04-28-2010, 09:36 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/nfldraft/Linebackers/19226990#nfldraft/Linebackers/19226990

WolverineFan
04-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Right. Drafting for what you need is important, let's not discount the fact you need to draft for need.

But there comes a critical point where the need versus best player available starts to sway into the favor of BPA. Players in the fourth through seventh round I think should be BPA, because if you're drafting for NEED at that point...well, you're probably not going to be getting a starter.

Obviously drafting for need and drafting the BPA simultaneously in the same player would be awesome though, just unrealistic 90% of the time.

This is ironic because we took the BPA in the 4th and 7th with Graham and Dickerson and all fans did was ***** about it. You can't win with the fans if you're the Texans FO.

dc_txtech
04-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Mods? Can we fix the title of this thread and get this poor guy's name right?

Ok, now that we got Shapton changed to Sharpton, can ya'll change Daryl to Darryl.:kitten:

Señor Stan
04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
This is ironic because we took the BPA in the 4th and 7th with Graham and Dickerson and all fans did was ***** about it. You can't win with the fans if you're the Texans FO.

and whined because the Texans didn't trade up to get Mathews
and whined because they didn't trade down in the 1st to get extra picks instead of Kareem Jackson straight up
and whined because then they did trade down in the second to get extra picks instead of Gerhart straight up
and whined because they traded up to get Ben Tate
and whined because they traded down in the 3rd for a 4th and a 5th

TheRealJoker
04-29-2010, 02:13 AM

According to our FO, Okoye was the highest rated defensive player on their board in the draft and they were ecstatic he fell to # 10. In their eyes it was the ideal situation where need/bpa intertwine.

bckey
05-01-2010, 09:01 AM
You can't win with the fans if you're the Texans FO.

That is probably due to the fact that they haven't produced a winning product on the field yet. Get to the playoffs and most of this will go away.

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2010, 11:11 AM
That is probably due to the fact that they haven't produced a winning product on the field yet. Get to the playoffs and most of this will go away.

I'm not so sure about that.

pbat488
05-02-2010, 01:57 AM
Ok, now that we got Shapton changed to Sharpton, can ya'll change Daryl to Darryl.:kitten:

This has nothing to do with the thread, but this post made this SNL skit pop into my head...

also, sorry for it being a hulu link and having to watch the 15s commercial before seeing it, butttt, it's worth it!

MACGRUBER!!! (http://www.hulu.com/watch/119796/saturday-night-live-macgruber)

stingray
05-04-2010, 04:08 AM

Bingo. This dude didn't post one darn thing about the Draft before April 22. And now he comes in as the Gil Brandt JR.

TexansBlood
05-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Now that Cushing is out for a few games, here's your chance big boy. Show us what your made of!

gtexan02
05-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Suddenly this pick seems extremeley well timed

Goldensilence
05-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Suddenly this pick seems extremeley well timed

Not really still IMO. People are acting like this guy is going to get first in line for the que at LBer.

We still have Adibi, Bentley(who has looked capable) and Chaun Thompson (if healthy I think he's got upside to like).

We can also still likely rotate Diles to SLB and Adibi or whomever fight out for WLB.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but even with this it's still a bit of a head scratcher.

gtexan02
05-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Not really still IMO. People are acting like this guy is going to get first in line for the que at LBer.

We still have Adibi, Bentley(who has looked capable) and Chaun Thompson (if healthy I think he's got upside to like).

We can also still likely rotate Diles to SLB and Adibi or whomever fight out for WLB.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but even with this it's still a bit of a head scratcher.

What if Cushing doesn't come back the same player as pre-bust?

We had all those guys before we drafted Cushing, and OLB was a weakness.

Sharpton is competition for the first four games, and an insurance policy that Cushing without steroids is still an NFL caliber starter

NitroGSXR
05-07-2010, 10:46 PM
I wonder how Al Sharpton's gonna spin this when the white guy returns from his suspension?

Jackie Chiles
05-08-2010, 02:11 AM
I actually liked this pick more before the news. At that time I was certain he must have been BPA. Now it looks suspiciously like it was a need selection. Hope hes up to the task though, we are going to need him.

mariowillshine15
05-08-2010, 02:22 AM
I wonder how Al Sharpton's gonna spin this when the white guy returns from his suspension?

"The cracka was shootin the stuff and now that he back the black man gets sent to the bench? Get Jesse! We goin to march about this!"

Somethin like that i would guess.

steelbtexan
05-08-2010, 11:07 AM

yep

76Texan
06-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I had mentioned right after the draft that I like all of the picks, except I don't know where they would fit, considering our other needs.

I was watching football as a full-time job the last couple of years - with overtime (something I won't be able to do this coming year).

I've come back to review six of his games. I like him a lot.

76Texan
06-06-2010, 11:17 PM
I watched some more games to bring the number to 9.
I skipped the unimportant games against conference weaklings and “2nd-3rd tier” opponents.

The list of opponents and the individual competitors (linemen, TE, FB, WR, RB) he faced are pretty good.

The ACC has the most diverse offensive scheme in the NCAA.

Florida St. with a good passing attack (pro-style offense) thru a smart and efficient QB in Christian Ponder (graduated in 2-1/2 years, was working on his MBA).

Georgia Tech with RB Dwyer, QB Nesbitt and the triple option that created nightmares for opponents.

Virginia Tech with a dual-threat QB in Tyrod Taylor and a very talented Red-Shirt Freshman RB Ryan Williams - 4.4 speed (1,654 rushing yards, 22 total touchdowns, 10 (ten) 100-yard games, and two four-touchdown performances.) A run-based, play-action team.

Clemson with a balance attack in a ZBS scheme, a solid QB, a super-speed burner at RB in CJ Spiller, and another one at WR in Jacoby Ford.

Wake Forest with its multiple offense (a little of everything) that can easily confuse opponents.
They have an efficient QB in Skinner, a speedster at WR Marshall Williams (4.34 speed, 60 catches, 5TDs), and a couple of capable sidekicks Devon Brown (61 catches, 6 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD), and Chris Givens (45 catches, 8 TDs)

North Carolina, an 8-5 team (with 4 losses by a combined 9 points) went mostly with a pro-style offense.

76Texan
06-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Opponents outside the conference include:

Oklahoma with a mix of pro-style offense and shotgun spread featuring an upstart QB Jones replacing Bradford and a receiver who did nothing but produce (89 catches, 1,120 yds, 15 TDs).

South Florida with another talented dual-threat QB in B.J. Daniels (14 passing TDs, 9 rushing TDs) who didn’t start until the 4th game of the season, replacing an injured Matt Grothe. The Bulls favored a shotgun spread offense that hardly employ a TE.

And finally, Wisconsin with its unique multiple-TE offense, regularly putting 2 in the line-up, and at times 3 of them. They also have a big bruiser John Clay at RB (248 lbs).

76Texan
06-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Sharpton played MLB in the Canes base 4-3.
Early in the season, when they go to the nickel package, Darryl would come out of the game.
That would be in game 1 against Florida St and game 3 against Virginia Tech.

(Game 2 was against Georgia Tech and the triple option; the Canes were never required to go to their nickel package).

Starting with game 4 against the Sooners, Sharpton was in all the packages and would play either SAM or WILL in the nickel.
(He was out for a quarter of play against Oklahoma when TV showed that he ran into the locker on his own, most likely a precaution, to check out something. Nothing was mentioned and he returned to play just fine.)

The rest of the schedule can be found here:

http://espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=2390&year=2009

76Texan
06-06-2010, 11:29 PM
From the Oklahoma game on, he played all 3 positions.
MLB in the base 4-3;
WILL or SAM in the nickle package depending on what the opponents want to throw out.

He could face each and every single O-lineman plus the TE and the FB in an individual battle (like in the game against Oklahoma).

The linemen he faced, many of them are in the 310-320 range; one or two in the 320s; and the big guy from WF DeGeare is in the 330s.

I have too many bookmarks and not enough time to come back to all the numbers.
It would be great if somebody can help out. rmartin, beerlover, badboy, etc... ???

It would be to prove a point that I had remarked in an earlier post somewhere, that Sharpton is very strong against O-linemen.

TheRealJoker
06-07-2010, 01:02 AM
From the Oklahoma game on, he played all 3 positions.
MLB in the base 4-3;
WILL or SAM in the nickle package depending on what the opponents want to throw out.

He could face each and every single O-lineman plus the TE and the FB in an individual battle (like in the game against Oklahoma).

The linemen he faced, many of them are in the 310-320 range; one or two in the 320s; and the big guy from WF DeGeare is in the 330s.

I have too many bookmarks and not enough time to come back to all the numbers.
It would be great if somebody can help out. rmartin, beerlover, badboy, etc... ???

It would be to prove a point that I had remarked in an earlier post somewhere, that Sharpton is very strong against O-linemen.

This was one of Cushing's strong points coming out as well. It seems like we covet LBs who are effective at shedding blocks because we like small athletic interior DL who can't hold multiple blockers.

76Texan
06-07-2010, 01:19 PM
This was one of Cushing's strong points coming out as well. It seems like we covet LBs who are effective at shedding blocks because we like small athletic interior DL who can't hold multiple blockers.

Sharpton may not be as strong as Cushing... but may be he is.
When you see him coming at the lineman, surely you will hear the pop.

There were a few instances that stood out for me:

One time, Sharpton worked on the Sooners' Center (this guy is lighter than 280) and pushed him out of the way to take on the G (305 lbs). Sharpton also got off him to tackle the RB.

Another time, he got off the Deacon Demons' C (295 lbs) with quickness and good hand techniques.
Then he pushed the LG DeGeare (335lbs) along and disengaged going for the runner.
(Runner was tackled before he got there though).
But it shows how strong Sharpton is.

I also saw him throw a couple of linemen out of the way in one-on-one situation.

76Texan
06-07-2010, 01:46 PM
When I watched the first game, my original impression was that Sharpton played well but why wasn't he in there in the Canes nickel package. Obviously, they have a smaller, quick and fast WILL (220 lbs) who had some good moments but also had some bad moments. When Sharpton was not in there, bad things would happen to the Canes.

Is it because Sharpton lack coverage skill?
It is not so, as I watched the 7 games in which he played in all situations.
Sharpton is very good in coverage, both in man and in zone defense.
I would say he's the most advanced LB in coverage that we had drafted.

He played well enough in the Sooners game, but his plays improved fantastically in the second half of the season.
He can make a good read of the formation.
He checks his key while following his read, but he also recognizes bogeys and trick plays quickly.

He takes notice when a lineman or a TE releases, when somebody pulls.
He reads the reverse, the counter, everything a good solid LB should..

When in man, he stays with his man well.
When in zone, he stretches his zone VERY well - something I wanted to see in our LBs last year.
The QB had to look other way many times.

He broke off a few passes (2 or 3).
In some other instances, he tackled the receiver hard enough for him to drop the ball.

He makes few mistakes.
He misses a few tackles (more due to the speed and quickness of the offensive players).
There are things he can improve on that I can't quite figure out how to elaborate.

He has a good short burst as his 10yd time indicates.
If the line can slow down CJ Spiller a little, Sharpton can get there to make the play.
Just don't ask him to chase after these speedy guys from behind.
(Same thing with Diles and Adibi).

76Texan
06-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Sharpton's 10-yd time of 1.58 is better than many guys (about his size) who were drafted higher:
Sean Weatherspoon #19 (1.6), Sean Lee #55 (1.61), Pat Angerer #63 (1.63), Navorrow Bowman #91 (1.6).
And of course, he's faster than most big guys who were drafted.

It's better than some of the safeties:
Chad Jones (1.61), TJ Ward (1.6), Darrell Stuckey (1.59), Myron Rolle 91.61), Kam Chancellor (1.6), Donovan Warren (1.67)

It's also better than some CBs, notably Jerome Murphy (1.6) and Perrish Cox (1.59)

And of course, it's better than a lot of guys who went as UDFAs (Robert Johnson FS 1.63, for example).

Also, consider these times:
Earl Thomas 1.56, Adibi 1.57, Dominique Franks (CB) 1.58

Ryan Moats' time was 1.59
http://40-yard-dash-times.com/houston-texans-2009.html

Dorin Dickerson 1.62 per houston.com

It was no surprise when Zac Diles said in the interview that "he (Sharpton) can get downhill".

76Texan
06-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Sharpton 5'11-6'0, 236
Combine:
10-yd 1.58, 20-yd 2.74, 40-yd 4.81,
20-yd shuttle 4.42, 3-cone 7.19, 24 reps
Pro Day:
20-yd 2.69, 40-yd 4.74 (as low as 4.67)
20-yd shuttle 4.24, 3-cone 7.07, 26 reps, broad jump 10'01

Adibi 6-2, 232
Combine:
10-yd 1.57, 20-yd 2.7, 40-yd 4.69,
20-yd shuttle 4.47, broad jump 9'02
Pro Day:
40-yd 4.62-4.68 (Adibi ran 4.48 in his Jr year at 220 lbs).
18 reps

Zac Diles 6'0-6'1, 240
Pro Day:
40-yd 4.8
20-yd shuttle 4.22, 3-cone 7.16
22 reps, broad jump 9'05

76Texan
06-09-2010, 10:26 AM
I watched Adibi a lot in college, too (also 9 games).
When we drafted him, it made sense because he can compete with Diles for a spot or both of them can play.
Danny Clark had a disappointing season for the Texans in 07
and Morlon Greenwod just wasn't going to cut it.

Adibi made plays by elluding the blockers but he was rather weak when taking them on directly.
He can get washed away by linemen, even some TEs.
In general, Adibi is a little quicker but he's weaker than Sharpton.
They both can cover well.

I have yet to see Darryl get washed away by anyone.
(Yes, he did lose some battles).
He won a good majority of the battles against the TE and barely lost.
He pretty much neutralized or destroyed the FBs.

I didn't watch Diles in college so I can't say much.
But in 08, he didn't do too well for the Texans, whether in run support or in coverage.
In his third year, Diles improved vastly.

Clark looked alright for the Giants from a couple of games that I've seen so far, but nothing spectacular.
His role wasn't of a playmaker.

I would rate Sharpton a better college player than Adibi (even though I like Adibi a lot).
Sharpton looks like a better all-around player to me.
It may not mean that Sharpton is a better NFL prospect.
One of his strong suite is his strength; and that may not work in the NFL.
He can ellude blockers too, but not quite as well as Adibi.
Adibi was a surer tackler in college, by a little.
But then, in instances where Adibi got caught in the blocks, Sharpton would be able to make plays or contribute in the plays.
In other instances, Sharpton was able to jam the blocker, pushing him toward the runner to allow his teammates to make play.
Adibi was rather weak at that.

But what do we do with all these LBs???

barrett
06-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks for all the hard work '76. Must spread...

No More 8-8's
06-09-2010, 10:45 AM
I love you 76Texan. Great job.

Goldensilence
06-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the hard work '76. Must spread...

Got him for you. Excellent breakdown in the thread.

Sharpton looks more athletic than I originally thought. Looks like our depth at LB is going to be insane this year.

76Texan
06-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Cheers to all the football fans!

One little vid that might have been out there for a long time but I forgot... or perhaps I just wanted to wait for the right moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L92e_qDlHS4

Look how he was so much quicker and faster than all the little people (including myself, lol).

Kubiak kinda gave a bit too much of a preview of my next target, Garrett Graham. But that's alright!

BTW, in case some people wonder why I skipped Ben Tate.
There's nothing more to say there. It is what it is!
The guy is the most complete all-around back we ever have, as long as he stays healthy.
He was my preference in the second round.

Can you see that Kubiak is very excited even though Tate and quite a few other guys, including veterans, are not 100%.
I don't think I've ever seen Kubiak that "excited"!

76Texan
06-11-2010, 01:26 PM
I just finished rewatching all the NFL Recap Shows (after each of the practive days at the Senior Bowl) and the game itself.

Here's what they have to say about the five guys who participated:

Mike Lombardi on Ben tate:
He's productive. He can catch the football out of the backfield.
I thought today he was outstanding in pass protection.
To me, it's one of my favorite drills to watch RBs, 'cause you're not going to get on the field in the NFL if you can't pass protect coming out of the backfield and I thought Ben tate did a great job.
Shonn Greene style of runner... can break tackle from his lower body, I think he raised his stock today.

Charles Davis concurred, adding that Tate was very willing to participate in that drill.

76Texan
06-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Lombardi on Sharpton:
There's a guy who is a flow LB, he can run to the football.
I thought he showed that he can disengage and get off blocks and get over the top.
He's instinctive and he can play on all 3 levels which for a LB is important.
He can run down the middle of the field and he can attack the pocket.
I thought he had another good week.

Charles Davis:
...And that's really big because right now he's showing up as a MIKE,
but lotsa of people think he'd probably fit a little more as a SAM or maybe even as a WILL, a guy who can play outside because of his ability, as you said, to play at all 3 levels.

76Texan
06-11-2010, 01:33 PM
On Garret Graham, Charles Davis said:

I love Garrett Graham...
e's one of those guys when you line him up, he doesn't run faster than people,
he doesn't do this he doesn't do that, but guess what, he gets open and catches the ball and he's more than a willing blocker.

On Dickerson who practiced to play at WR for the first time, they simply think that he just need to learn the position so he can get better separation.
He did not play a lot in the game but I like what I saw.
Tate and Sharpton continued to do the things they always did.
Graham had a good game as well as many good practice sessions.
I will try to get to them over the weekend.

76Texan
06-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Sharpton had a good Senior Bowl.
He did not stand out but did his job well.

The main thing was that he went up strongly against the Big Guard Iupati (first rounder, 6'5-325)). He lost one, but stayed even on the other two and was able to disengage to pursue.
He won a head-on with another G, Lauvao (6'3 - 301).
He owned the FB Cory Jackson (6'1 245).

I think he will do just fine strength-wise in the NFL.

Garrett Graham is a super receiving TE.
I maybe jumping the gun here, but I don't think our offense will suffer much without O.D. and won't miss a beat without Dreessen.
We can afford to have Graham in there to replace one of them.

I will get to him another day.