PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Round Trade: Analysis Of What Happened

GP
04-24-2010, 05:00 AM
Traded to KC for their early 4 and a 5th.

I said earlier that if we traded our extra 3rd round pick, moving down to an extra 4th that we must be targeting guys who won't be touched until the 4th.

Which means Smithiak thinks well still get our guy but not for 3rd round price. Or guys we wanted with the extra 3rd rounder were not there when it was our turn.

I don't know if that makes me feel good that we gained two more picks, or if that concerns me that there wasn't someone ranked high enough to take in the 3rd before someone else nabbed the targeted guy.

In the second round, we traded down to a lower 2nd round slot and also gained an extra 3rd for trading with Vikings so they could get Gerhart. Then didn't we loose a 5th somehow, right? In our extra 3rd round spot we then traded out to gain a 4th and a 5th.

So the trade down in the 2nd round did not yield us an extra 3rd. It ends up giving us an extra 4th round pick when it's all said and done. Do I have it correct, or do we have two 5th rounders now?

Hmmmm.....this makes me think they had their eggs in one basket during the third and some guys that we targeted in the 3rd were not there when it was our turn to pick. They don't like the next-highest projected guys that would go in the remainder of the 3rd, so we trade the late 3rd rounder for an extra 4th and get our 5th rounder back

GP
04-24-2010, 05:22 AM
So I went hunting in the NFL Draft thread, and found this...

So I just did a quick analysis/recap of our draft day trades and the ending result. Here's what it boils down to.

Texans move down 7 spots in the 2nd round to select RB Ben Tate and received the 4th pick in the 4th round (#102) and moved up 6 spots in the 5th round.

Now for you Trade Value Chart junkies out there (like myself) let's look at the math. #51 = 390 pts, #58 = 320 pts... a difference/loss of 70 pts we 'should' make up with the other picks. #102 = 100 pts... that puts us at a 30 point advantage. Plus moving up from #150 (31.4 pts) to #144 (34 pts) gives us an extra 2.6 pts for a grand total point advantage of 32.6 pts which is equivalent to the 19th pick in the 5th round.

That's what I call a success! Now we just gotta fill them with some really good players.

Did we ever lose our initial 5th rounder at all? I am confused.

thunderkyss
04-24-2010, 06:10 AM
So I went hunting in the NFL Draft thread, and found this...

Did we ever lose our initial 5th rounder at all? I am confused.

Yes, we traded down, with Minnesota, and got their 3rd. We then traded up to get Tate, cost us our 5th.

We then used our 3rd to get Mitchell, and traded Minnesota's 3rd for a 4th (now we have two 4ths) and a 5th. That is the 5th we have now.

MojoMan
04-24-2010, 06:14 AM
The Texans have the following picks remaining:

two 4th round picks (102 & 118),
one 5th round pick (144),
two sixth round picks (187 and 197), and
one seventh round pick (227).

The first of the Texan's fourth round picks (102) was obtained from Kansas City as part of the trade for the Texans second 3rd round pick (93), and their second 4th round pick (118) was their original pick.

The Texans original 5th round pick was traded away, and the remaining 5th round pick (144) was obtained from Kansas City, also as part of the trade for the Texans second 3rd round pick (93).

The first of the Texans 6th round picks (187) was their original pick, and the second 6th round pick was acquired from San Diego earlier this year in exchange for Travis Johnson.

The Texan's 7th round pick (227) is their original pick.

The link below summarizes all of these moves. However, it also shows the Texans having drafted TE Tony Moeaki with pick 93, which is a mistake. That pick was actually made by Kansas City.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/teams?team=hou&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft%2fteams%3fteam%3dhou

painekiller
04-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
So I just did a quick analysis/recap of our draft day trades and the ending result. Here's what it boils down to.

Texans move down 7 spots in the 2nd round to select RB Ben Tate and received the 4th pick in the 4th round (#102) and moved up 6 spots in the 5th round.

Now for you Trade Value Chart junkies out there (like myself) let's look at the math. #51 = 390 pts, #58 = 320 pts... a difference/loss of 70 pts we 'should' make up with the other picks. #102 = 100 pts... that puts us at a 30 point advantage. Plus moving up from #150 (31.4 pts) to #144 (34 pts) gives us an extra 2.6 pts for a grand total point advantage of 32.6 pts which is equivalent to the 19th pick in the 5th round.

That's what I call a success! Now we just gotta fill them with some really good players.

Pretty shrewd of Rick Smith, I've had to take back all the bad names I was thinking about calling him after the 1st round pick and no trade down. Eric Winston's mock straighten me out, he said that Green Bay wanted Jackson at 23, so we had no options if we truly wanted Jackson, which they did.

Rick is doing an excellent job. He hasn't gotten me my OG/C guy yet, I think I would have taken Johnson in the 3rd, but he got a 3 type DT with upside.

He handled the trade down and up for Tate perfectly. They liked both Gerhart and Tate, they thought they could slip one of those two by Seattle, But they found out Cleveland was looking RB also, so back into the 2nd and they have Tate.

Now what does he do with the extra picks? They could package their 5th and a 6th rounder to get another 4th round pick, I don't think they can go into training camp with 9 guys that you can keep, but I could be wrong.