PDA

View Full Version : So Which Ones Bust?

eriadoc
04-23-2010, 11:26 PM
The draft is never 100%; there are always busts. Who from the first three rounds so far is a bust just waiting to happen?

The1ApplePie
04-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Pierre-Paul by miles

7 college starts (all riding George Selvie's coat tails), the rest built up on combine hype and youtube backflips

BattleRedToro
04-24-2010, 01:47 AM
The draft is never 100%; there are always busts. Who from the first three rounds so far is a bust just waiting to happen?

Tim Tebow.

He may be a bonafide nice guy and a heck of a competitor, but he seems like a reach as a 1st Round QB. Even if he eventually becomes a legitimate NFL starting QB, it will be so far down the road and at such an expense due to his 1st Round contract that I think it will be considered a bad pick, and that isn't even weighing in the picks they gave up to move up to take him.

Corrosion
04-24-2010, 01:49 AM
Gotta go with the obvious - Rams #1 overall pick Sam Bradford has the biggest bust potential .... Really good college QB but the Rams dont have a whole lot of talent around him and can he take the beating that is the NFL?
Im sure that shoulder will be tested early and often if they start him from game one.

BattleRedToro
04-24-2010, 01:54 AM
Gotta go with the obvious - Rams #1 overall pick Sam Bradford has the biggest bust potential .... Really good college QB but the Rams dont have a whole lot of talent around him and can he take the beating that is the NFL?
Im sure that shoulder will be tested early and often if they start him from game one.

I have to agree with you, as well. If I was the Rams GM I would have picked Suh over Bradford. He is as close to a sure thing as I have ever seen. He may not dominate in the NFL like he did in College, but I would be shocked if he wasn't a solid contributor for years to come, and the Rams need that badly.

Ryan
04-24-2010, 02:44 AM
Hindsight is 20/20, but i think the Rams would have been better off taking Suh and then Clausen in the second round.

SheTexan
04-24-2010, 04:24 AM
Colt McCoy! The Browns messed up at QB again. Think they'll ever get it right?

HJam72
04-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Whoever the Raiders got.

They're the Raiders...

rmartin65
04-24-2010, 10:08 AM
I see our DT busting. I hope not, and I really do wish him all the best, but I just have a bad, bad feeling about the guy.

JPP most likely as well.

texasguy346
04-24-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm going to say Demaryius Thomas turns out to be a bust.

awtysst
04-24-2010, 03:08 PM
How do you define bust?

Heath Shuler
04-24-2010, 03:15 PM
tebow
like the guy but 1st round? josh mcdainels has some huge stones

Dutchrudder
04-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Kareem Jackson...?

Kulluminatii
04-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Whoever the Raiders got.

They're the Raiders...

:brickwall:

You know, I would have probably agreed with you before the draft. But now that its almost over, I have to say I finally have hope for my team this season. I've been embarrassed about myself being a fan of the Oakland Raiders for the past 7 years, but I truly feel they are turning it around this season. We are making picks that make sense! Many people thought we were going to f#$k up again this year and get someone like Bruce Campbell in the 1st, instead we got a beast that is McClain and still got Campbell...but in the 4th.

Are we going to win the SuperBowl? No
Are we on our way to become a respectable organization again? I believe so

c10x
04-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Colt McCoy! The Browns messed up at QB again. Think they'll ever get it right?

He will produce well beyond the 3rd round pick they used to take him.

WWJD
04-24-2010, 04:32 PM

You know, I would have probably agreed with you before the draft. But now that its almost over, I have to say I finally have hope for my team this season. I've been embarrassed about myself being a fan of the Oakland Raiders for the past 7 years, but I truly feel they are turning it around this season. We are making picks that make sense! Many people thought we were going to f#$k up again this year and get someone like Bruce Campbell in the 1st, instead we got a beast that is McClain and still got Campbell...but in the 4th.

I really think in the right system that Jason Campbell will do just fine. He got beat up last year. I think that's a great trade for the Raiders.

Maddict5
04-24-2010, 08:08 PM
i dont like either of the first rd qbs from what little i know & saw of them

BigBull17
04-24-2010, 08:51 PM

I love your draft. I think the Raiders made a killing.

drs23
04-24-2010, 10:48 PM

I think the Raiders did a good job as well. What happened? Someone slip some Xanax in dead man's drink? :lightbulb:

The Pencil Neck
04-24-2010, 11:38 PM
I think the Raiders did a good job as well. What happened? Someone slip some Xanax in dead man's drink? :lightbulb:

I think someone told him the draft was next Saturday and Sunday and made the picks for him.

mexican_texan
04-25-2010, 01:02 AM
5 PM is past his bedtime. He's used to the draft being held early in the morning, just in time for early bird lunch specials.

Blake
04-25-2010, 12:33 PM
I see our DT busting. I hope not, and I really do wish him all the best, but I just have a bad, bad feeling about the guy.

JPP most likely as well.

For some reason I am not surprised about your comment. Seeing as how you had a HUGE man crush on Gerhart. Whatever makes you feel better I guess.

SF49erFaithful
04-25-2010, 06:53 PM
If you Include 2nd round guys...

- Sam Bradford
- Demaryius Thomas
- Bryan Bulaga
- TJ Ward
- Zane Beadles
- Toby Gerhart
- Sean Lee
- Pat Angerer

Out of all these guys I'm most confident Bradford will bust. Behind him, I'd say TJ Ward.

JB
04-25-2010, 07:00 PM
- Sam Bradford
- Demaryius Thomas
- Bryan Bulaga
- TJ Ward
- Zane Beadles
- Toby Gerhart
- Sean Lee
- Pat Angerer

If you include 2nd round guys...

Did you forget Alualu? I think he may be a good player, but not #10 good.

Also I think JPP is a huge risk, as is McClain and D. Thomas. Also Arenas.. 2nd round to high for that guy...imo

eriadoc
04-25-2010, 07:07 PM
For some reason I am not surprised about your comment. Seeing as how you had a HUGE man crush on Gerhart. Whatever makes you feel better I guess.

What does his evaluation of Gerhart have to do with Earl Mitchell? They weren't even conflicting picks.

SF49erFaithful
04-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Pierre-Paul by miles

7 college starts (all riding George Selvie's coat tails), the rest built up on combine hype and youtube backflips

He never rode Selvie's coat tails. Selvie had one dominant year, and after that his production dropped immensely. He produced little and was mainly drafted because of his success a couple years ago.

I don't think JPP will bust. Yes, he does have red flags that are common in busts, like average production and little experience. However, I think he is in the best situation possible by playing for the New York Giants. The coaches have shown that they can maximize DE talent, and it sure doesn't hurt to learn from guys like Osi or Justin Tuck either. Although I'm not totally sold, I think this kid can have a very productive career under the right circumstances.

SF49erFaithful
04-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Did you forget Alualu? I think he may be a good player, but not #10 good.

Also I think JPP is a huge risk, as is McClain and D. Thomas. Also Arenas.. 2nd round to high for that guy...imo

I guess it depends on how you define "bust". If you mean, will he live up to his #10 slot? No, I doubt it. It was a terrible pick in terms of value, as he could have probably been acquired about 15 picks later. However, I think he will have a good, productive career. The guys that I listed as busts will, in my opinion, not only fail to live up to their draft slot, but have very underwhelming careers altogether as well.

WolverineFan
04-25-2010, 07:51 PM
I think Demaryius Thomas and Tim Tebow are the two biggest bust potential players. Both selected by the Broncos naturally.

Alualu is also high on that list. I think he will be pretty good, but not #10 overall good.

BigBull17
04-26-2010, 11:55 AM
If you Include 2nd round guys...

- Sam Bradford
- Demaryius Thomas
- Bryan Bulaga
- TJ Ward
- Zane Beadles
- Toby Gerhart
- Sean Lee
- Pat Angerer

Out of all these guys I'm most confident Bradford will bust. Behind him, I'd say TJ Ward.

Angerer was picked by the COlts, and they are scary good evaluators of talents(sadly), so I think he will be ok. AluAlu is high on the list.

SF49erFaithful
04-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Angerer was picked by the COlts, and they are scary good evaluators of talents(sadly), so I think he will be ok. AluAlu is high on the list.

Overall, they are a pretty good drafting team, but not one without its mistakes. Joseph Addai, a former first round pick, is only an average back. High 2nd round pick Tony Ugoh is a total bust. First round pick Marlin Jackson hasn't exactly been lighting up the league, either. Anthony Gonzalez is ok. Not to mention that plenty of their 3rd round picks have failed to contribute much to the team overall.

Honestly, most of the Colt's current top talent is from the early part of the 2000s. Since then, they have had some pretty decent drafts but nothing spectacular. They definitely aren't immune to choosing busts as recent history has shown...

JB
04-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Overall, they are a pretty good drafting team, but not one without its mistakes. Joseph Addai, a former first round pick, is only an average back. High 2nd round pick Tony Ugoh is a total bust. First round pick Marlin Jackson hasn't exactly been lighting up the league, either. Anthony Gonzalez is ok. Not to mention that plenty of their 3rd round picks have failed to contribute much to the team overall.

Honestly, most of the Colt's current top talent is from the early part of the 2000s. Since then, they have had some pretty decent drafts but nothing spectacular. They definitely aren't immune to choosing busts as recent history has shown...

Hard to have a spectacular draft when you are drafting in the upper 20's & the 30's!

kastofsna
04-26-2010, 09:30 PM
the last time the Colts had a high first rounder they took Freeney.

toronto
04-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Sam Bradford. Never saw anything to me that said "this guy is gonna be the next #1 overall pick in the draft!" kind of talent.

Rams are gonna rue the day they passed up the two stud DTs, or not trading down. Truth is, I don't think anyone wanted that pick. The Lions and Bucs were likely the happiest #2 and #3 selectors ever.

D-ReK
04-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Sam Bradford. Never saw anything to me that said "this guy is gonna be the next #1 overall pick in the draft!" kind of talent.

Rams are gonna rue the day they passed up the two stud DTs, or not trading down. Truth is, I don't think anyone wanted that pick. The Lions and Bucs were likely the happiest #2 and #3 selectors ever.

According to NFLN, I believe it was, Holmgren called the Rams 20 minutes before the draft with a very enticing offer to move up to the 1st pick to take Bradford, but St. Louis said, "He's ours" and passed the deal over. That will most likely be a mistake since their OL is injury prone and there are really no weapons for him there.

Browsing the list of 1st round picks, I'll say that Bradford, Spiller, Alualu, Graham, and Pierre-Paul are the most likely to bust. I'll say McClain and Mathews win the ROY awards.

chicagotexan2
04-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Bradford.
The Rams are a mess
He ran the spread (I don't know a QB that did well in the Pros coming from that)
The expectations are so high, se he'll have to be great not just good.

b0ng
04-30-2010, 02:53 PM
I thought Aaron Rogers ran a spread in college?

kastofsna
04-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Rodgers was under Jeff Tedford, whose offense is sort of a pro-set version of the spread. same basic ideas in terms of passing (only 2 reads), but with more emphasis on running

HOU-TEX
04-30-2010, 03:16 PM
I think someone told him the draft was next Saturday and Sunday and made the picks for him.

Just saw this. I laughed.

It definitely seemed like he wasn't there Thursday and Friday, then on Saturday they began taking all the possible workout warriors. Maybe Al never got the memo on the draft going prime time? Allowing him to only pick Saturdays lot.

Kidding aside, I think the Raiders did an admirable job in the draft this year too. Props

ObsiWan
04-30-2010, 09:29 PM
How do you define bust?

no one directly answered your question did they?

Are we supposed to be predicting Epic Fail Busts like Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, and Lawrence Phillips. Or are we just predicting disappointments like David Klingler, Reggie Bush, or Cedric Benson who have had their moments but never lived up to what the Mock Mongers predicted.

JB
04-30-2010, 09:52 PM
no one directly answered your question did they?

I don't think anyone has a definitive answer

kastofsna
05-01-2010, 03:21 PM
obviously a bust is going to depend on many factors, and everyone puts more emphasis on certain factors, so yeah there's really no set definition.

for me, it's a simple combination of expectations + results. and even "expectations" can mean a lot of different things. for example, let's use everyone's favorite David Carr. obviouisly he had TONS of expectations and hope to the Houston faithful. to the rest of the country, however, no one really cared too much about him, so he'll never be looked at as the same kind of bust as Texans fans think he is.

Ole Miss Texan
05-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Anthony Davis - Bust.

I think Alualu won't show up on the stat sheet much and may not perform to #10 overall expectations in the fans eyes, but I think he'll be a really important cog on the defense and have a productive career.

Lucky
05-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Bust is hard to define. Overdrafted may be the better term.

I would start out with Joe Haden. He's going to be fine in a zone scheme. But if the Browns are going to put him out on an island and play man to man (as you would expect a #7 pick to), Haden will struggle. Not a top 10 pick, nor were any CBs in this draft.

I've heard that the Niners plan on starting Iupati from day 1. That will probably put Alex Smith on injured reserve and allow David Carr to challenge the sack record...again. Bad idea and way overdrafted.

Tim Tebow is an obvious project. Nuff said. In fact, I question a lot of the Broncos picks, in terms of immediate impact.

Dutchrudder
05-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Bust is hard to define. Overdrafted may be the better term.

I would start out with Joe Haden. He's going to be fine in a zone scheme. But if the Browns are going to put him out on an island and play man to man (as you would expect a #7 pick to), Haden will struggle. Not a top 10 pick, nor were any CBs in this draft.

I've heard that the Niners plan on starting Iupati from day 1. That will probably put Alex Smith on injured reserve and allow David Carr to challenge the sack record...again. Bad idea and way overdrafted.

Tim Tebow is an obvious project. Nuff said. In fact, I question a lot of the Broncos picks, in terms of immediate impact.

I think he will do fine in the AFC North. It's more of a 'run-first' conference so I don't think he will have as hard of a time as he would in other conferences like the AFC East, South and NFC East. I hope he does well because I grew up in Cleveland and always root for the Browns whenever they play :D