Tough in red zone

Weaknesses:
Struggles to get off blocks
Not a very physical hitter
Only two interceptions as a sophomore and junior
Somewhat inconsistent
Gets a little lazy with tackling technique
Needs to use hands better at the line of scrimmage

Summary: Jackson is a talented prospect with the tape to back him up, but he doesn't have first-round tape and is a liability against the run. Jackson has an impressive skill set overall and will be drafted anywhere from late first round to late second round.

Player Comparison: Marcus Trufant. Jackson isn't as consistent as Trufant, but he does have the skill set to be a very good corner.

LINK (http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010kjackson.php)

JB
04-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Good pick. I guess they had him rated higher than Wilson and McCourty

rmartin65
04-22-2010, 09:45 PM
Solid enough pick. I had Wilson rated a bit higher, but Jackson over McCourty. I will take this pick. I give it a solid B.

b0ng
04-22-2010, 09:48 PM
I kind of don't like this pick :/

V Man
Believe we picked Jackson over Wilson because of the conference he played in.

JayCee
as mention in the draft thread - proven player at the highest level in college, safe solid pick. i like it.

m5kwatts
04-22-2010, 09:49 PM
The Texans know more than we do, they employ and pay an entire scouting department to sit around and evaluate these guys.

Cjeremy635
04-22-2010, 09:49 PM
I'll take you guy's word for it. I have no idea who he is (I'm not a big college ball guy, so I don't know who the prospects are). Hopefully he'll be solid contributor right off the bat and live up to being a 1st round pick.

Pocky
04-22-2010, 09:51 PM
I don't know much about this CB, but LZ was talking him up acouple days before the draft. I'm just glad we didn't draft a P-Burnt clone in Kyle Wilson.

MFG16
04-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Jackson on 610 right now.

Said he talked to the Texans at the combine but was still surprised they drafted him. looks forward to coming in and working hard and doing anything for the organization. sounded confident.

stingray
04-22-2010, 09:52 PM
All I can say... A very very safe pick.. Not A lot of upside but he is pro-ready.

Texan_Bill
04-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Our previous pick for a defensive player from Alabama turned out okay. :)

spurstexanstros
04-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Believe we picked Jackson over Wilson because of the conference he played in.

I agree he is from the AFC South of College football..solid pick.

I wonder if we can trade up and get Wilson....hmmmmm

TexansMVP
04-22-2010, 09:54 PM
The Texans know more than we do, they employ and pay an entire scouting department to sit around and evaluate these guys.

Word. Hopefully we can strike gold by drafting another defensive player from Bama...we all remember what happened with the last one.

ArlingtonTexan
04-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Our previous pick for a defensive player from Alabama turned out okay. :)

the offensive one hasn't been total suck either.

NitroGSXR
04-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Where can I buy my Kareem Jackson jersey! Bleeding Crimson Tide red has got to be good for spurning NFL defensive players.

Welcome to Houston, Kareem!

Pocky
04-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Oh, and I love the guy's name.

I can just imagine the opening game now, "Kareeeem the Dreeeeam with another inception against Peyton Manning, sealing the gam in last two-minutes of regulation!"

kiwitexansfan
04-22-2010, 09:59 PM
I think with Jackson, Quin and Pollard we have the most physical secondary in the NFL.

CloakNNNdagger
04-22-2010, 09:59 PM
A somewhat contrasting (BETTER) profile compared to the above profile:

Overview
Jackson was overshadowed by a higher-profile surrounding cast at Alabama. But the cornerback played an integral role in the secondary for the Crimson Tide's national championship defense.

Jackson was presented with the team's 2008 Unsung Hero Award for his contributions to the success of the team with the least recognition, but he continued to perform out of the spotlight.

The durable and consistent cornerback played in every game for the Crimson Tide over the past three seasons, starting the last 38 contests. He collected 29 pass deflections to rank fourth on the school's all-time record list. The cornerback increased his number of pass breakups in each season at Alabama, and his progression as a player coincides with the success Alabama has had on defense.

In his first season, Jackson and the Crimson Tide secondary allowed 221.31 passing yards per game to rank 48th in the country as the team finished with a 7-6 record. The following campaign, the secondary saw an increase in effectiveness as they rose to 30th nationally, allowing 189.36 aerial yards per game while the team concluded the year with a 12-2 record.

In Jackson's final season, the defense led the Crimson Tide to an undefeated record and a victory in the BCS National Championship game. Jackson's ability as a shutdown cornerback and the secondary's aggressiveness in press coverage were big reasons why, as they allowed just 166.00 passing yards per game as a unit to rank 10th nationally.

Jackson was a star running back at Westside High School. He was rated 17th-best overall prospect in the nation by Rivals.com and competed in The Max Emfinger Third Annual High School All-American Bowl Classic in Shreveport, La. As a senior, he rushed for 1,436 yards with 20 touchdowns, adding 16 tackles with three interceptions on defense.

Jackson originally intended to enroll at Vanderbilt University, but the staff asked him to go to Fork Union Military Academy to improve his academics. At Fork Union, he excelled at cornerback, intercepting five passes in his only season at the school. He was given a four-star rating from Rivals.com. After the 2007 season, he changed his mind on Vanderbilt and elected to sign with Alabama following his stint at Fork Union.

He was an instant sensation at Alabama, enrolling in time (January of 2007) to compete in spring drills. He came off the bench in the season opener, but started every other game for the Crimson Tide. He ranked fifth on the team with 66 tackles (48 solo) and finished second on the squad with three interceptions.

Jackson was named Alabama's Co-Player of the Week after putting on an outstanding performance vs. Tennessee, collecting six solo tackles with one tackle for loss, two pass deflections and two interceptions returned for 29 yards. He captured first-team Freshman All-Southeastern Conference honors from the league's coaches.

The following season, Jackson provided the Crimson Tide with a lockdown defender on the edge. He started all 14 games and registered 44 tackles (28 solos), eighth-best on the team, as he added one interception, 10 pass deflections, one fumble recovery and one blocked kick. At season's end, Jackson was presented with the team's 2008 Unsung Hero Award for his contributions to the success of the team with the least recognition.

In his final season at Alabama, Jackson was a valuable piece of a secondary that ranked 10th nationally allowing just 166 aerial yards per game. He collected 49 tackles (30 solo) to rank sixth on the team and added three tackles for loss, one interception and 13 pass deflections. Jackson came up big for the eventual national champs vs. Florida in the SEC title game, as he racked up a season-high six tackles with one stop for loss and two pass deflections. At season's end, Jackson announced he would forgo his final season of eligibility to enter the NFL draft.

The rest of the PROFILE (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1273346)

jppaul
04-22-2010, 10:00 PM
I didn't have a whole lot of players higher than him at this point. Solid. B.

YoungTexanFan
04-22-2010, 10:00 PM
I didn't have him rated quite that high, but I'm good with this pick. I did not like Wilson. He's going to get tested on the deep balls, but he should be money early on covering the intermediate routes. I'll also echo that we can't go wrong with a 3 year starter for Alabama. He's lost 2 games the last 2 years. Total.

CloakNNNdagger
04-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Continued PROFILE (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1273346)

Analysis
Read & React: Good route recognition. Reads the body lean of his opponent and has the athleticism to react accordingly. He anticipates the path of the ball and extends to reach around a receiver to break up passes. Reads run quickly and attacks the run on the perimeter.

Man Coverage: Good bump-and-run corner. Provides a good, physical pop at the line of scrimmage and keeps his hand on the receiver downfield to control. Good use of body to push the receiver outside, using the sideline to help cut off the space in which the quarterback can throw the ball. Allows too much separation on deep routes and has stiffness in his hips when suddenly changing direction. Face guards at this level, but won't be allowed to do so in the NFL.

Zone Coverage: Good awareness for zone coverage. A bit high in his backpedal and has some stiffness in his hips, but trusts his eyes and locates the football quickly. Savvy, physical player. Likes to use his hands to re-route the receiver. Has quick feet and a good burst out of his breaks to close.

Closing/Recovery: Lacks an elite second gear to recover if beaten initially, but has an impressive burst downhill to close on the ball. Plants his foot and drives, showing good body control to adjust around the receiver and get his hands on the ball. Times his leaps well and has an explosive vertical. Good hand-eye coordination and ball skills to extend and pluck outside of his frame.

Run Support: Aggressive to the line of scrimmage to help against the run, protecting the edge and forcing the back to cut back inside. Fights through the receiver's block and has the agility to elude bigger blockers in tight quarters. Good vision and effort to cut through the trash in pursuit. Takes good angles in pursuit.

Tackling: Strong wrap-up tackler. Brings his hips through and can be a big hitter on the boundary. Willing to face up bigger ballcarriers. Will lead with his shoulder when he sees the receiver in a vulnerable position. Good strength for the drag-down tackle when trailing the receiver across the middle.

Intangibles: Highly competitive player that puts in time in the film room. Asked for his grade from the NFL Advisory Committee, but didn't read it upon receiving it. Jackson gave the unopened envelope to Nick Saban to hold until after the BCS National Championship game so that the contents wouldn't be a distraction

kiwitexansfan
04-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Edit

Texan_Bill
04-22-2010, 10:04 PM
I think with Jackson, Quin and Pollard we have the most physical secondary in the NFL.

Except for this bit of unfortunate business:

Weaknesses:
Only two interceptions as a sophomore and junior
Somewhat inconsistent
Gets a little lazy with tackling technique
Needs to use hands better at the line of scrimmage

That said, I'm still good with the pick.

kiwitexansfan
04-22-2010, 10:05 PM

Others say he is a beast in man coverage and very aggressive.... time will tell.

Texan_Bill
04-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Others say he is a beast in man coverage and very aggressive.... time will tell.

Deon Sanders was a beast in coverage, but he avoided tackling at all costs, like it was the plague -
i.e. not physical.

The1ApplePie
04-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Only gripe (besides being taken over Dan Williams)

Wasn't Kareem the No. 2 CB behind Arenas?

LikeMike
04-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Anyone has his 40 time?

Texan_Bill
04-22-2010, 10:07 PM

:hmmm: good question.

drs23
04-22-2010, 10:08 PM
as mention in the draft thread - proven player at the highest level in college, safe solid pick. i like it.

^^^^^This

YoungTexanFan
04-22-2010, 10:09 PM

Arenas doesn't have the size. He's seen as mostly a PR/KR type guy. A very good one though.

Heath Shuler
04-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Anyone has his 40 time?

Combine Stats
40 Yd Dash
4.48 secs

xreadx
04-22-2010, 10:12 PM
been scanning youtube....cant find much film on him... arg

TexansMVP
04-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson and Rutgers cornerback Devin McCourty were also available, but Bush called Jackson the "most complete and game-ready to come play in the National Football League" of the three corners.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6113

kiwitexansfan
I think he ran a 4.38 at his pro day... quick enough.

FirstTexansFan
I'll take a wait and see, but a bit disappointed. Looks like other teams had no problems trading back, and imo, this guy would have been available further down the road. But I'll be the first to eat crow, buy his jersey, and then lie and tell everyone he was on my board from the beginning ;)

JB
04-22-2010, 10:14 PM

Absolutely not! Did you watch the Championship game? Jackson much more impressive in coverage than Arenas. Totally shut down Shipley whe he was on the outside. And any other receiver the Horns had on the outside.

J_R
04-22-2010, 10:15 PM
ZReportDraft (http://twitter.com/ZReportDraft)

The Broncos and the Patriots understand how to work the draft and let the draft work for you. I honestly don't think the Texans know how

The1ApplePie
04-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Absolutely not! Did you watch the Championship game? Jackson much more impressive in coverage than Arenas. Totally shut down Shipley whe he was on the outside. And any other receiver the Horns had on the outside.

Thanks

In my defense, I had the stomach flu that day and all I remember is Arenas

stingray
04-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Overview
Jackson was overshadowed by a higher-profile surrounding cast at Alabama. But the cornerback played an integral role in the secondary for the Crimson Tide's national championship defense.

Jackson was presented with the team's 2008 Unsung Hero Award for his contributions to the success of the team with the least recognition, but he continued to perform out of the spotlight.

The durable and consistent cornerback played in every game for the Crimson Tide over the past three seasons, starting the last 38 contests. He collected 29 pass deflections to rank fourth on the school's all-time record list. The cornerback increased his number of pass breakups in each season at Alabama, and his progression as a player coincides with the success Alabama has had on defense.

In his first season, Jackson and the Crimson Tide secondary allowed 221.31 passing yards per game to rank 48th in the country as the team finished with a 7-6 record. The following campaign, the secondary saw an increase in effectiveness as they rose to 30th nationally, allowing 189.36 aerial yards per game while the team concluded the year with a 12-2 record.

In Jackson's final season, the defense led the Crimson Tide to an undefeated record and a victory in the BCS National Championship game. Jackson's ability as a shutdown cornerback and the secondary's aggressiveness in press coverage were big reasons why, as they allowed just 166.00 passing yards per game as a unit to rank 10th nationally.

Jackson was a star running back at Westside High School. He was rated 17th-best overall prospect in the nation by Rivals.com and competed in The Max Emfinger Third Annual High School All-American Bowl Classic in Shreveport, La. As a senior, he rushed for 1,436 yards with 20 touchdowns, adding 16 tackles with three interceptions on defense.

Jackson originally intended to enroll at Vanderbilt University, but the staff asked him to go to Fork Union Military Academy to improve his academics. At Fork Union, he excelled at cornerback, intercepting five passes in his only season at the school. He was given a four-star rating from Rivals.com. After the 2007 season, he changed his mind on Vanderbilt and elected to sign with Alabama following his stint at Fork Union.

He was an instant sensation at Alabama, enrolling in time (January of 2007) to compete in spring drills. He came off the bench in the season opener, but started every other game for the Crimson Tide. He ranked fifth on the team with 66 tackles (48 solo) and finished second on the squad with three interceptions.

Jackson was named Alabama's Co-Player of the Week after putting on an outstanding performance vs. Tennessee, collecting six solo tackles with one tackle for loss, two pass deflections and two interceptions returned for 29 yards. He captured first-team Freshman All-Southeastern Conference honors from the league's coaches.

The following season, Jackson provided the Crimson Tide with a lockdown defender on the edge. He started all 14 games and registered 44 tackles (28 solos), eighth-best on the team, as he added one interception, 10 pass deflections, one fumble recovery and one blocked kick. At season's end, Jackson was presented with the team's 2008 Unsung Hero Award for his contributions to the success of the team with the least recognition.

In his final season at Alabama, Jackson was a valuable piece of a secondary that ranked 10th nationally allowing just 166 aerial yards per game. He collected 49 tackles (30 solo) to rank sixth on the team and added three tackles for loss, one interception and 13 pass deflections. Jackson came up big for the eventual national champs vs. Florida in the SEC title game, as he racked up a season-high six tackles with one stop for loss and two pass deflections. At season's end, Jackson announced he would forgo his final season of eligibility to enter the NFL draft.

Analysis
Read & React: Good route recognition. Reads the body lean of his opponent and has the athleticism to react accordingly. He anticipates the path of the ball and extends to reach around a receiver to break up passes. Reads run quickly and attacks the run on the perimeter.

Man Coverage: Good bump-and-run corner. Provides a good, physical pop at the line of scrimmage and keeps his hand on the receiver downfield to control. Good use of body to push the receiver outside, using the sideline to help cut off the space in which the quarterback can throw the ball. Allows too much separation on deep routes and has stiffness in his hips when suddenly changing direction. Face guards at this level, but won't be allowed to do so in the NFL.

Zone Coverage: Good awareness for zone coverage. A bit high in his backpedal and has some stiffness in his hips, but trusts his eyes and locates the football quickly. Savvy, physical player. Likes to use his hands to re-route the receiver. Has quick feet and a good burst out of his breaks to close.

Closing/Recovery: Lacks an elite second gear to recover if beaten initially, but has an impressive burst downhill to close on the ball. Plants his foot and drives, showing good body control to adjust around the receiver and get his hands on the ball. Times his leaps well and has an explosive vertical. Good hand-eye coordination and ball skills to extend and pluck outside of his frame.

Run Support: Aggressive to the line of scrimmage to help against the run, protecting the edge and forcing the back to cut back inside. Fights through the receiver's block and has the agility to elude bigger blockers in tight quarters. Good vision and effort to cut through the trash in pursuit. Takes good angles in pursuit.

Tackling: Strong wrap-up tackler. Brings his hips through and can be a big hitter on the boundary. Willing to face up bigger ballcarriers. Will lead with his shoulder when he sees the receiver in a vulnerable position. Good strength for the drag-down tackle when trailing the receiver across the middle.

Intangibles: Highly competitive player that puts in time in the film room. Asked for his grade from the NFL Advisory Committee, but didn't read it upon receiving it. Jackson gave the unopened envelope to Nick Saban to hold until after the BCS National Championship game so that the contents wouldn't be a distraction.

Career Notes
Jackson played in every game -- 41 career games -- during his three seasons at Alabama and started 40 contests, registering 159 tackles (106 solo) with eight stops for losses of 24 yards … Deflected 29 passes and intercepted five others for 164 yards (32.80-yard average) … His 29 pass deflections rank fourth on Alabama's all-time record list behind only John Mangum (47, 1985-88), Fernando Bryant (31, 1995-98) and Jeremiah Castille (1979-82) … Deflected 13 passes in 2009 to rank seventh on the school's single-season record list behind John Mangum (24, 1989), Efrum Thomas (19, 1989), Marquis Johnson (17, 2009), Milo Lewis (16, 1999), Fernando Bryant (14, 1996) and Charlie Peprah (14, 2003) … Forced one fumble and recovered another for minus-9 yards … Added one quarterback hurry and two blocked kicks … Returned one punt for eight yards.

2009 Season
Jackson started all 14 games at right cornerback, ranking sixth on the team with 49 tackles (30 solo), including three stops for losses of 13 yards … Tied for seventh in the Southeastern Conference with an average of 1.00 passes defended per game, as he totaled thirteen pass deflections, with six coming on third-down plays, as he also registered one interception that he returned 79 yards … His 13 pass deflections ranks seventh on Alabama's season-record list … Added one quarterback pressure … Made 24 tackles after receptions for 371 yards and 15 first downs, including three third-down stops and another on a fourth-down, as he rerouted receivers away from 23 other pass attempts … On 22 running plays Jackson was involved in, the opposition gained 136 yards and six first downs, including five third-down stops … The junior added three tackles on the kickoff coverage unit … Posted two of his hits inside the red zone, including one on a goal-line play.

2008 Season
Jackson developed into one of the best shutdown cornerbacks in the South, as opposing teams managed to complete just 21-of 56 passes targeted into his area (37.5 percent) … The sophomore recorded 44 tackles (28 solo) with a stop for a 4-yard loss … Recovered one fumble and blocked one punt … Also had a 5-yard interception return and ranked 11th in the Southeastern Conference with 10 pass deflections.

2007 Season
Started 12 games, including the final 10 at right cornerback, earning Freshman All-American honors from The NFL Draft Report … Ranked fifth on the team with 66 tackles (48 solos), as he was credited with four stops behind the line of scrimmage … Caused a fumble and blocked a field goal attempt … Ranked second on the team with three interceptions for 80 yards in returns (26.67-yard average), as he also deflected six passes … Named UA Defensive Co-Player of the Week vs. Tennessee and Special Teams Co-Player of the Week vs. Vanderbilt and Florida State.

Injury Report
No major injuries reported.

Agility Tests
Campus: 4.48 in the 40-yard dash … 1.55 10-yard dash … 2.61 20-yard dash … 4.14 20-yard shuttle … 11.28 60-yard shuttle … 6.92 three-cone drill … 37 1/2-inch vertical jump … 9'9" broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 13 times … 30-inch arm length … 9 1/8-inch hands.

PREP SCHOOL

Attended Fork Union Military Academy (Fork Union, Va.), playing football for coaches John Shuman and Mickey Sullivan … He intercepted five passes in his only season at the school … Jackson was given a four-star rating by Rivals.com … Was offered scholarships from Bowling Green, Connecticut, Maryland, New Mexico State, Temple and Vanderbilt before signing with Alabama.

High School
Attended Westside High School (Macon, Ga.), playing football for head coach David Daniels … Compiled 1,436 rushing yards with 20 touchdowns and nine receptions for 256 yards and two touchdowns on offense, as he added 16 tackles and three interceptions on defense as a senior … Concluded a three-year varsity career with over 3,447 rushing yards and 46 touchdowns … Played in The Max Emfinger Third Annual High School All-American Classic … Rated the 17th-best overall prospect in the nation by Rivals.com … Originally agreed to play football for Vanderbilt, but the school recommended he spend a season at Fork Union Military Academy after Jackson's SAT score failed to qualify.

Personal
General Studies major … Born 4/10/88 … Resides in Macon, Georgia.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1273346

ArlingtonTexan
04-22-2010, 10:18 PM

No. People remember Arenas because he returned kicks. At worst, they were 1a & 1b.

JB
Thanks

In my defense, I had the stomach flu that day and all I remember is Arenas

Arenas was great on special teams and occasionaly on offense, but does not show that much in coverage or against the run.

TheRealJoker
Happy to see the Texans put a premium on getting players that are NFL ready "now" the last 2 seasons with their first round pick. I don't care about projected upside so much. Cushing was projected to have maxed out his potential but if he plays at the level he did as a rookie for the rest of his career I think we'll all be satisfied...

Big Lou
04-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Smithiak must think they see something in him. I trust them, but I would have thought we could have gotten him in the 2nd. We might have had to trade up, but who know if that was possible.

Based on the board at the time, I would have went Dan Williams. I wanted CB first almost no matter what, but all the CB's were on the board, they must predict a run at the end of the 1st and start of the second.

My preference would have been for Thomas (If he were there!!!) then CB in the 2nd since the draft is deep in CB's. We addressed the front 7 last year in one and two, why not take care of the secondary this year in one and two?

We'll see what happens tommorrow!!!!!

I'm not dissappointed, just suprised.

blitz90
04-22-2010, 10:21 PM
I had Wilson rated a bit higher, but Jackson over McCourty.

Are you a scout?

infantrycak
04-22-2010, 10:22 PM

I think the first summary you were quoting was a bit confusing. Most folks consider him very physical but with occasional lapses on wrapping up. More fault in going for the big hit and failing than in shying from contact. One commentator called him the most physical CB in the draft. So go figure on mixed opinions.

Texan_Bill
04-22-2010, 10:24 PM
I think the first summary you were quoting was a bit confusing. Most folks consider him very physical but with occasional lapses on wrapping up. More fault in going for the big hit and failing than in shying from contact. One commentator called him the most physical CB in the draft. So go figure on mixed opinions.

I hear you, and again overall, I am good with the pick.

NitroGSXR
04-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Are you a scout?

Yup. He's a TexansTalk scout. Would you like to be one too? We're all scouts.

TexCanada
04-22-2010, 10:27 PM

Most of us are coaches and GMs too :)

New_Texans
04-22-2010, 10:28 PM

The Broncos and the Patriots understand how to work the draft and let the draft work for you. I honestly don't think the Texans know how

If the guy you want is there, you take him. McCourty was there and was a fringe 1st rounder...and the pats took him. Wilson is falling for a reason.

Also, the texans tend to draft quite soundly so i trust the pick.

kiwitexansfan
04-22-2010, 10:28 PM
I've heard it said that he is a gambler, will try and make plays...

I like that, we need some big plays.

YoungTexanFan
04-22-2010, 10:29 PM
With this new format, I'm just glad to have a second round pick. Those weren't fun years.

JB
04-22-2010, 10:30 PM

Most of us are coaches and GMs too :)

And trainers and Owners as well :boogie:

Brando
04-22-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm good with the pick. He reads and anticpates the QB well. 3 year starter on a great team.

DocBar
04-22-2010, 10:31 PM

It seems like there's a difference of opinion between the analysts. Some say he's a great tackler. otherrs not so great. I think this is a good pick my, myself.

NitroGSXR
04-22-2010, 10:33 PM
And trainers and Owners as well :boogie:

And most of us do this for free!

TexCanada
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM

In fact we have invested a fair amount of our own money into it.

edo783
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
It seems like there's a difference of opinion between the analysts. Some say he's a great tackler. otherrs not so great. I think this is a good pick my, myself.

Looks like he may be more of a hitter than a wrap up form tackler.

JB
04-22-2010, 10:35 PM

Free hell! I pay too much in emotion and $! I would pay more for a Chamionship!

Thorn
04-22-2010, 10:36 PM
It's all a crap shoot anyway. No matter who you take in what round, they can become great players or incredible busts. They took a position in the 1st round that we needed badly, so I'm good.

Now we wait an see what he does for us, because none of us knows that yet.

kiwitexansfan
04-22-2010, 10:36 PM
I believe he can tackle well but likes to go for the flashy play on occasion.

Wolf
04-22-2010, 10:37 PM
well done

signed
dunta

Lucky
04-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I remember Arenas making more plays. But, that could mean that Arenas was considered the weaker corner, thus tested more.

Yes, but would that have been the same story had McCoy played the entire game, rather than a freshman QB?

Dash
04-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Solid pick but there were better players on the board imo. He could have been attainable had we traded down a few spots.

NitroGSXR
04-22-2010, 10:44 PM
I remember Arenas making more plays. But, that could mean that Arenas was considered the weaker corner, thus tested more.

Yes, but would that have been the same story had McCoy played the entire game, rather than a freshman QB?

Oh effin' BOO! I was feeling good about him because of shutting down Shipley. Ugh. Reality sinks in... thanks, Lucky. Thanks.

:lol:

Texan_Bill
04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
I believe he can tackle well but likes to go for the flashy play on occasion.

well done

signed
dunta

:spit:

mexican_texan
04-22-2010, 10:47 PM
I really liked him when I saw him play, I look forward to seeing him start with Quin.

FirstTexansFan
04-22-2010, 10:48 PM

I'd say we pay big bucks to have an opinion :)

76Texan
04-22-2010, 10:51 PM
only gripe (besides being taken over dan williams)

wasn't kareem the no. 2 cb behind arenas?no!

JB
04-22-2010, 10:52 PM

I think so. His defense stood out more after Davis finally started letting Gilbert throw

76Texan
04-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Combine Stats
40 Yd Dash
4.48 secs4.41 to 4.48

http://blog.al.com/tide-source/2010/03/nfl_scouting_combine_wrapup_cb.html

rmartin65
04-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Are you a scout?

Nope, just a fan who watches college football. If you dont care for people's opinions on players, you are on the wrong board.

TheRealJoker
04-22-2010, 10:56 PM
The more I think about it the more I think Kareem sounds like a more athletic/polished (or tested rather) Glover Quinn. If Jackson is anything like Quinn was as a rookie he'll be a very good player for us :)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1115231

Positives: Adequate height and very solid overall build for a corner or free safety. … Has the strength to jam on the line. … Likes contact, will bring his hips and wrap up in the open field. … Good awareness, reads screens, play action and misdirection. … High-points the football and had good hands for the interception. … Breaks up passes by jumping routes or fighting for the ball in the air. … Returned 10 kickoffs for 323 yards as a senior and can be dangerous running back interceptions. … Played through pain and returned quickly from groin surgery during junior season. … Physical runner on returns -- goes straight upfield, is willing to take a hit and can bounce off to get additional yardage.

Negatives: Some teams will grade him as a safety and cornerback "tweener." … Does not have great straight-line or recovery speed. … Best when attacking the play in front of him. … Will throw his shoulder to make a hit instead of wrapping up. … Lacks great height and vertical leap to challenge tall NFL receivers. … Inconsistent getting off receiver blocks on the edge. … Lacks great quickness, vision or speed on returns.

Compares To: MELVIN BULLITT, Indianapolis -- With his downhill tackling ability, raw strength and ability to freelance and get to the ball, Quin might be a better fit as a safety. He has marginal hips when trying to cover the receiver deep, and despite his timed speed his acceleration tapers off when having to run long distances, making a move inside more logical.

Goatcheese
04-22-2010, 10:58 PM
I always like to pick up Alabama defenders but this is just an 'ok' pick for me. I was looking at him as our second round pick before he started getting some media hype around the senior bowl. I think we could have done better, but with Smith's draft history we probably could have done a lot worse too.

Lucky
04-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Oh effin' BOO! I was feeling good about him because of shutting down Shipley. Ugh. Reality sinks in... thanks, Lucky. Thanks.

I think so. His defense stood out more after Davis finally started letting Gilbert throw
It's all speculation. I'm not suggesting that Jackson wasn't a good college corner. Bama had the best defense in college football. Jackson was certainly a big part of that. But, he played on a team with a ton of NFL prospects. McClain has already been drafted. Cody and Arenas will go later. Their two best players, Dareus & Barron, aren't even draft eligible. Sometimes, it's hard to judge just how good a player is when surrounded with that type of talent.

JB
04-22-2010, 11:02 PM
It's all speculation. I'm not suggesting that Jackson wasn't a good college corner. Bama had the best defense in college football. Jackson was certainly a big part of that. But, he played on a team with a ton of NFL prospects. McClain has already been drafted. Cody and Arenas will go later. Their two best players, Dareus & Barron, aren't even draft eligible. Sometimes, it's hard to judge just how good a player is when surrounded with that type of talent.

I totally agree. The same things were said about Cushing and Matthews last year however

Texan_Bill
04-22-2010, 11:04 PM
I totally agree. The same things were said about Cushing and Matthews last year however

YUP!! I agree. I was originally skeptical about Brian Cushing. I like being wrong! :)

New_Texans
04-22-2010, 11:05 PM

Well, in his defense, if he wasn't any good--or as good as the players you named--he wouldn't have started as a freshman or started during his sophmore and junior year. Especially with Saban as his coach. So, he must definitely have the skill and the ability to hold his own.

JB
04-22-2010, 11:05 PM
YUP!! I agree. I was originally skeptical about Brian Cushing. I like being wrong! :)

You and me both brother!

Texan_Bill
04-22-2010, 11:09 PM
You and me both brother!

Right on!! :)

NitroGSXR
04-22-2010, 11:09 PM

Absolutely but I also thought the same thing about the USC LBs. Gilbert was an embarrasment. Helluva way to be shoved into the limelight though. Your point is very valid. I think I pretty much like what I've read up on Jackson thus far. Also look at Oklahoma putting up 3 of the top 4 picks this year. National contenders is the main ingredient here. Alabama's got a pretty stout scent.

I guess I give the pick a B? Whatever that means...

xreadx
04-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Kareem Jackson Draft Video (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d817b6352/Texans-take-Jackson)

SAMURAITEXAN
04-22-2010, 11:11 PM
We needed starter caliber CB. Our FO believe Jackson has more value than other 2 CBs. I am good with this pick. Are we going to draft RB in the 2nd rd.?

Go Texans!!!

alphajoker
04-22-2010, 11:12 PM
I am bewildered yet intrigued with this pick. Didn't see many mocks with him that high, much less in 1st round but I like his pedigree in regards to coming from a championship program. Can't wait for the season to start.

Scooter
04-22-2010, 11:15 PM
The durable and consistent cornerback played in every game for the Crimson Tide over the past three seasons, starting the last 38 contests.

that line stood out to me more than any other. a 3 year starter for for the top defense in college football without missing a game speaks volumes. obviously the kid's talented enough to be taken in the first round, but of the options (wilson, mccourty), kareem appears to be the most complete and proven.

Carr Bombed
04-22-2010, 11:18 PM
umm do y'all like this pick or are just trying to talk yourselves into this pick? (Sounds like the latter)

I hate this pick BTW. Rings of another "I'm smarter than you are pick" and we all know the last time we had a GM that did that. We could've traded down and got this guy. there were much better players on the board.

Lucky
Are we going to draft RB in the 2nd rd.?

As long as there is one still available, that they value in the 2nd round. How many RBs that carry a 2nd round grade are left? 3 or 4? I would think that at least one would be left. I just don't know if will be one that the Texans like.

2slik4u

agreed. I liked wilson over jackson, but I trust the Texans FO when it comes to these close picks.

Plus Rick Smith was a corner, theres a reason hes getting paid millions to make these picks.

Hopefully this was the right choice.

Hopefully.........Plus Im good and drunk.

V3rm0nt3r
04-22-2010, 11:21 PM
I am bewildered yet intrigued with this pick. Didn't see many mocks with him that high, much less in 1st round but I like his pedigree in regards to coming from a championship program. Can't wait for the season to start.

This is kind of how i'm feeling. When I saw Dan Williams (Even though he's a 3-4 NT I wanted him) and Wilson there I thought it would be one of them but Bush earned my respect over the 2nd part of the season so if he thinks he'll fill in better for Dunta than Wilson could than I'm cool with this selection. Hey, at least we don't have to wast our time trying to understand Jacksonville's pick right?

painekiller
04-22-2010, 11:21 PM

No he was the #1 corner, Arenas did not have the long speed to stay with the other teams #1 WR.

infantrycak
04-22-2010, 11:22 PM
umm do y'all like this pick or are just trying to talk yourselves into this pick? (Sounds like the latter)

I hate this pick BTW. Rings of another "I'm smarter than you are pick" and we all know the last time we had a GM that did that. We could've traded down ant got this guy. there were much better players on the board.

Was Belichick being "I'm smarter than you are also?" Or maybe both teams were being smarter than the pundits. Folks act like Wilson was always a surefire 1st round pick when he carried a 2nd round grade into the Senior Bowl.

Carr Bombed
agreed. I liked wilson over jackson, but I trust the Texans FO when it comes to these close picks.

Plus Rick Smith was a corner, theres a reason hes getting paid millions to make these picks.

Hopefully this was the right choice.

Hopefully.........Plus Im good and drunk.

The problem is R. Smith never amounted to nothing as a NFL corner which is now why he enjoys that office. Hope it was the right pick, but I don't think so.

Pocky

I hate this pick BTW. Rings of another "I'm smarter than you are pick" and we all know the last time we had a GM that did that. We could've traded down ant got this guy. there were much better players on the board.

looks like someone is going to cry himself to sleep. aww.

Lucky
04-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Rings of another "I'm smarter than you are pick" and we all know the last time we had a GM that did that. We could've traded down ant got this guy.
Though our point regarding trading down might be valid, I don't see this as a cute pick. I look at Jackson more as a safe pick, a good athlete, from a good program, from a good conference. Not a lot of risk. Maybe not a lot of upside. Kind of like playing not to lose. Completely different from the Okoye and Brown picks from previous drafts.

Blake
04-22-2010, 11:23 PM

I like filling our biggest need by getting a physical corner from a big school like bama.

I would have taken Wilson, but I would have been fine taking Jackson, McCourtey, and Robinson.

Just be glad we didnt pull a Jag and draft Alualu in the top 10.

thunderkyss
04-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Where can I buy my Kareem Jackson jersey! Bleeding Crimson Tide red has got to be good for spurning NFL defensive players.

Welcome to Houston, Kareem!

I hope they make them in 3X

Scooter
umm do y'all like this pick are just trying to talk yourselves into this pick? (Sounds like the latter)

I hate this pick BTW. Rings of another "I'm smarter than you are pick" and we all know the last time we had a GM that did that. We could've traded down ant got this guy.

i just wanted the texans to take the top DB on their board, and they did that. i would've preferred to luck into earl thomas, but once he was gone i knew i'd be excited with the most "now" ready defensive back possible ... that's kareem jackson.

Tailgate
Though our point regarding trading down might be valid, I don't see this as a cute pick. I look at Jackson more as a safe pick, a good athlete, from a good program, from a good conference. Not a lot of risk. Maybe not a lot of upside. Kind of like playing not to lose. Completely different from the Okoye and Brown picks from previous drafts.

From what I am reading... alot of people have Jackson as one of or even the most NFL ready CB in the draft. And remember, he declared a year early too.

I find it hard to really hate any pick, especially when it fills a need. Too much ball to be played to truly determine how we did.

2slik4u
The problem is R. Smith never amounted to nothing as a NFL corner which is now why he enjoys that office. Hope it was the right pick, but I don't think so.

Only time will tell mi amigo.

Only speculation from here on out..

I was hanging with a bunch of my cowboy buddies and they got dez with their pick (which is who they wanted), I hope to the almighty that Jackson shutsdown bryant (assuming hes covering him).

.....lookin for the stars to align...

michaelm
04-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Continued PROFILE (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1273346)

Intangibles: Highly competitive player that puts in time in the film room. Asked for his grade from the NFL Advisory Committee, but didn't read it upon receiving it. Jackson gave the unopened envelope to Nick Saban to hold until after the BCS National Championship game so that the contents wouldn't be a distraction

Love this entire section.

Carr Bombed
looks like someone is going to cry himself to sleep. aww.

I never bitched about a pick until now so ....."no"

I don't like this pick at all. (I actually liked the Gover Quinn pick better)

But let's get all fat and happy, because it's the pick the Texans made...aww

V3rm0nt3r

I doubt it. I'm sure that New England was looking at this guy. You saw the run on corners right? none of the 1-2 grades made it into the second. again I trust the FO when it comes to this.

You gotta stop seeing the glass as half empty. It's just unhealthy. I know how to fix your problem, though, and it involves a large quantity of recently emptied shot glasses.

Texan_Bill
04-22-2010, 11:27 PM

No CB, I'm actually okay with this pick.. That said, I would've liked to see the Texans trade either up (maybe to score Earl Thomas) or even traded down to acquire picks - ala New England. That said, I'm okay.

gtexan02
04-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Fwiw ESPN had him rated as the #2 corner behind J Haden.

When Wilson was finally picked, Kiper seemed pretty down on him. He said that Wilson was very inconsistent in coverage during the season, adn the only reason he went 1st round was because he had a great week at the senior bowl.

Id rather have a guy who plays all season than a guy looking for a big payday. Guys who preform the best when they know a payday is right around the corner seem more likely to bust. Once he gets the payday, whats his motivation? If he couldn't be consistent at Boise, I don't see the pro game being a whole lot better.

I think Kubiak knows this is a make or break year for him. Jackson is pro ready from day 1. His upside may be lower than Wilson, but his bust potential is a lot lower as well.

Errant Hothy
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM
No CB, I'm actually okay with this pick.. That said, I would've liked to see the Texans trade either up (maybe to score Earl Thomas) or even traded down to acquire picks - ala New England. That said, I'm okay.

This team still has to many needs to be giving away draft picks.

Tailgate
I doubt it. I'm sure that New England was looking at this guy. You saw the run on corners right? none of the 1-2 grades made it into the second. again I trust the FO when it comes to this.

Yep, my NE buddy was kinda baffed at passing on Wilson too. But there is a reason he was passed by both teams. And my buddy also really likes Jackson too, so he must have been reading up on them for the Pats and who knows, maybe they had Kareem above McCourty as well.

mariowillshine15
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/rounds

What he brings: Jackson may be the best pure cover corner in this year's draft. Jackson has tremendous feet, balance, anticipation and route-recognition skills when out on an island. He should be able to make a smooth transition to the NFL level coming out of a Nick Saban-coached defense. Video analysis: McShay | Edwards
How he fits: The loss of Dunta Robinson to Atlanta is a big blow and the Texans desperately needed a shutdown corner, so this pick is no surprise. Glover Quinn stepped up solidly as a rookie last season and Jacques Reeves will continue to play, but Jackson could very well provide the Texans with ability to take away half the field.

Great praise.

Texan_Bill
04-22-2010, 11:33 PM
This team still has to many needs to be giving away draft picks.

Thus my other point about trading down. Gain picks by trading down. My idea about trading up is solely born out of the fact that I don't remember trading up..

Pocky
04-22-2010, 11:34 PM
I never bitched about a pick until now so ....."no"

I don't like this pick at all. (I actually liked the Gover Quinn pick better)

But let's get all fat and happy, because it's the pick the Texans made...aww

Typing with eyes full of tears and still came out with no grammar problems! But it's alright to boo-hoo when your favooorrite team doesn't draft the guy you like. It's ok though, just convince yourself that everyone else on the board is convincing themselves that they like the pick. Whatever make yourself feel better about the pick.

thunderkyss
04-22-2010, 11:34 PM
I am bewildered yet intrigued with this pick. Didn't see many mocks with him that high, much less in 1st

I've got the same concerns....... but I'm still drinking the kool-aide, so...

But what does it mean when the "mockers" don't rate a guy as a first rounder? It's not like they have an intimate understanding of what 32 teams value in a player.

This kid is a 3 year starter on one of the best college football teams over that same period.

He's a junior.

could they have traded down, or picked someone else, and still get this guy later?

Maybe, I don't know.

LikeMike
04-22-2010, 11:36 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/rounds

What he brings: Jackson may be the best pure cover corner in this year's draft. Jackson has tremendous feet, balance, anticipation and route-recognition skills when out on an island. He should be able to make a smooth transition to the NFL level coming out of a Nick Saban-coached defense.
How he fits: The loss of Dunta Robinson to Atlanta is a big blow and the Texans desperately needed a shutdown corner, so this pick is no surprise. Glover Quinn stepped up solidly as a rookie last season and Jacques Reeves will continue to play, but Jackson could very well provide the Texans with ability to take away half the field.

Great praise.

If that proves true Jackson would be the perfect pickup for us!

eriadoc
04-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Kareem Jackson Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Weaknesses:

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and call Matt McGuire ignorant. Alabama is one of the few college teams that I can say I know well enough to comment intelligently upon. Kareem Jackson is plenty physical, and I like him for that. I honestly think Kyle Wilson will be a better cover corner, but Kareem Jackson is probably more able to step in against NFL competition right away.

But hey, we needed a CB and we got one. And he even got a pick last year.

Errant Hothy
04-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Thus my other point about trading down. Gain picks by trading down. My idea about trading up is solely born out of the fact that I don't remember trading up..

You need three things to trade down, 1) a partner, 2) a deal worth trading down with and 3) a player you would be happy with at the new spot.

Rick Smith has shown that he will trade down if he gets a deal he likes and can still get a player he likes. Odds are he didn't get an offer that worked for him.

Sometimes standing pat is smarter then trying to out smart the other 31 teams.

Kaiser Toro
04-22-2010, 11:37 PM
With the pick our defense got better, I have no doubt. I would love to see a DT or FS in the next four rounds.

Porky
04-22-2010, 11:38 PM
I was thinking of Jackson more as a early 2nd rounder, but it's hard to argue with the decision making process. In a perfect world, I would have taken the trade-down of 4 spots and likely still picked him up, but apparently the Texans felt different. All in all, a good pick. Let's get Dwyer in Round 2 tomorrow.

Incidently, both ESPN and PFW like the pick a lot -

From ESPN:
What he brings: Jackson may be the best pure cover corner in this year's draft. Jackson has tremendous feet, balance, anticipation and route-recognition skills when out on an island. He should be able to make a smooth transition to the NFL level coming out of a Nick Saban-coached defense. Video analysis: Video McShay | Edwards
Link (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/rounds)

From PFW:
The Texans needed a big, physical cornerback to replace the departed Dunta Robinson, and Jackson fits the bill. He will enter training camp with the expectation to start and should not have any problems after playing every coverage for Nick Saban at Alabama. He is quick to support the run, plays smart and very seldom gets beat, with deceptive functional playing speed given his smooth stride.
Link (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/04/22/pick-by-pick-analysis-round-one)

Errant Hothy
04-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Gooselin had Jackson going to Baltimore at 25. Saying that he fit in with the Ravens physicality and calling Jackson the most physical corner in the draft.

Big Poundcake
04-22-2010, 11:41 PM
I really like the Jackson pick.

Jackie Chiles
04-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Just be glad we didnt pull a Jag and draft Alualu in the top 10.

I would have loved to get Alualu.... with our 2nd. Well done Jags.:clap:

Porky
Here is the link to Mcshay's video on him - Link (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5121855)

Here is Herm Edwards evualation - Link (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5127501)

michaelm

I've got the same concerns....... but I'm still drinking the kool-aide, so...

But what does it mean when the "mockers" don't rate a guy as a first rounder? It's not like they have an intimate understanding of what 32 teams value in a player.

This kid is a 3 year starter on one of the best college football teams over that same period.

He's a junior.

could they have traded down, or picked someone else, and still get this guy later?

Maybe, I don't know.

Lance Zierlein had him going #18 in his final mock. Rick Gosselin had him going #25.

Texan_Bill
You need three things to trade down, 1) a partner, 2) a deal worth trading down with and 3) a player you would be happy with at the new spot.

Rick Smith has shown that he will trade down if he gets a deal he likes and can still get a player he likes. Odds are he didn't get an offer that worked for him.

Not trying to sound like Switzerland or Sweden, but I agree with that too.

TheRealJoker
04-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Anyone have matchup stats for Jackson against different WRs?

michaelm
04-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Not trying to sound like Switzerland or Sweden, but I agree with that too.

More like Iceland with all that hot air and odor emanating from you, but I understand your point...

Goatcheese
04-22-2010, 11:56 PM

I hate this pick BTW. Rings of another "I'm smarter than you are pick" and we all know the last time we had a GM that did that. We could've traded down and got this guy. there were much better players on the board.

I'm ok with the pick. He's a solid prospect, just not a "WOW! I can't believe we got THAT guy!" type of player.

This is the sort of 'ho-hum going about your business' pick that playoff teams make every year. Hopefully we'll have to get use to that.

Carr Bombed
04-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Typing with eyes full of tears and still came out with no grammar problems! But it's alright to boo-hoo when your favooorrite team doesn't draft the guy you like. It's ok though, just convince yourself that everyone else on the board is convincing themselves that they like the pick. Whatever make yourself feel better about the pick.

Umm, what the hell are you talking about here pal? I'm not trying to convince myself or anybody of anything.

I speak my opinion and my opinion is here for everybody to see and read. Instead of getting all emotional/butt hurt over it (LOL, which is exactly what you're doing) where you have to accuse grown men of crying......feel free to bump it later when I'm wrong. (BTW I pray this gets bump...really do) Again you make me laugh with the notion with how the Texans drafted is going to make me "sleep better at night or make me feel better". :rolleyes: the Texans' draft pick didn't flip my thermostat down to 72. I don't let it control my life like apparently you do where you accuse people a physically crying just because they aren't on board with your "pick".

Big Lou
04-23-2010, 12:01 AM
I will say it's a hell of a statement that he was the first CB taken. Guess we'll see if Smithiack was right!!!!!

If he ends up bieng a good #1 CB in his first year I will end up with a man crush on Smith!!!!

The1ApplePie
04-23-2010, 12:02 AM
Whatever you feel about the pick,

at least we didn't trade a bunch of picks so we could draft Tim Tebow in round 1

Lucky
04-23-2010, 12:02 AM
I doubt it. I'm sure that New England was looking at this guy.
I don't doubt that. Saban coached DBs under Belichick in Cleveland. I think Belichick was a big influence on Saban's coaching style and career. But, if the Pats really, really wanted Jackson, they have the track record that would indicate they could go get him.

However, New England doesn't fall in love with prospects. They trust their board, and if a deal presents itself, they are not afraid to take it. Belichick is likely confident he can coach any of these CBs. Whether he came up with Jackson, McCourty, or another corner, the Pats would be satisfied.

Carr Bombed
04-23-2010, 12:03 AM
I will say it's a hell of a statement that he was the first CB taken. Guess we'll see if Smithiack was right!!!!!

If he ends up bieng a good #1 CB in his first year I will end up with a man crush on Smith!!!!

I second this post....I'll never question him again.

Hell I'll even elevate him above Morey in this town.

michaelm
04-23-2010, 12:03 AM

Except that Joe Haden was the first CB taken...

TheRealJoker
04-23-2010, 12:04 AM
I would have loved to get Alualu.... with our 2nd. Well done Jags.:clap:

Agree, we still have a shot at a similar level DT in Brian Price or Lamar Houston though!!!

Maddict5
04-23-2010, 12:06 AM
every year theres a guy with no expertise whatsoever that hates the texans pick just because of their gut. its so old yet it keeps happening.

for the record, i thought it was a meh pick when it was announced- very similiar to how i felt with cushing last yr actually and just like then im going to give kareem and the FO the benefit of the doubt until he gets on the field. from the sounds of it hes the brian cushing of corners- not an exceptional athlete but a physical and tough son of a ***** so il give the pick an early thumbs up based on what ive read

Lucky
04-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Hey, let's concentrate on discussing the Texans draft, rather than whatever motivation individual posters may or may not have. Stay focused, we have 2 more days yet to go.

Big Lou
04-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Except that Joe Haden was the first CB taken...

Sorry I was out at a restaraunt and missed the Haden pick!!!!

However do the Browns really count as a NFl Franchise?!?!?!?!?!

Carr Bombed
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM
every year theres a guy with no expertise whatsoever that hates the texans pick just because of their gut. its so old yet it keeps happening.

for the record, i thought it was a meh pick when it was announced- very similiar to how i felt with cushing last yr actually and just like then im going to give kareem and the FO the benefit of the doubt until he gets on the field. from the sounds of it hes the brian cushing of corners- not an exceptional athlete but a physical and tough son of a ***** so il give the pick an early thumbs up based on what ive read

except I liked Brian Cushing....so

I did not like the Amboi Okoye pick though, but I was out of states to comment and just hoped for the best....still do

DocBar
04-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Sorry I was out at a restaraunt and missed the Haden pick!!!!

However do the Browns really count as a NFl Franchise?!?!?!?!?!

They do in the W/L column.

DocBar
04-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Picking later in the rounds, I think you have to trust the front office with these picks and not think that Joe Blow analyst has anywhere near the same time involved with scouting and rating a player that an NFL team has. The TV guys often just parrot each other and "unnamed sources" that could be full of smoke and BS.
The Texans have a well respected scouting dept. and I'm perfectly willing to go with them on this pick.

b0ng
04-23-2010, 12:20 AM
I guess what upset me about the pick was I don't know asa much about Jackson as I did Wilson and McCourty. He seems like a solid pick but with all the retarded trading teams (the Broncos) were doing with each other I was thinking we would've landed Wilson.

Hopefully he's successful in his transition, we could definitely use more talent there. Kudos for getting the position right, may the player be all you hoped he can be.

Also, lol @ Jaguars.

Pocky
04-23-2010, 12:28 AM
nm. just saw the mods post.

Anywho. I think this is a decent pick, better then taking Wilson IMO. He did get visited/made visits to NE, and NYJ, two other teams that took CB in the first, shortly after us. Not saying that they would've took him over the CB they themselves drafted, but it was possible that we weren't the only one that rated Jackson as the 2nd CB in the draft(assuming the Texans had Haden as CB #1.)

Wish we could've gotten Williams though. Would've been a tremendous steal for us at #20.

michaelm
04-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Hey, let's concentrate on discussing the Texans draft, rather than whatever motivation individual posters may or may not have. Stay focused, we have 2 more days yet to go.

Hey, let's concentrate on discussing the Texans draft, rather than discussing what people are saying about whatever motivation individual posters may or may not have. Stay focused, we have 2 more days yet to go.

Holy crap... it's like looking into a picture of you looking into a picture of you looking into a picture of you looking into a picture...

http://www.ggcornish.com/one/gw_orientation/infinite_reflection.jpg

I don't know if anyone else gets this, but that's probably because I don't know if anyone else is drunk

TexanBacker93
04-23-2010, 12:33 AM

It's all about what you do with those extra picks. The Patriots haven't exactly done a tremendous job drafting over the last few years (Mayo being an exception). Denver traded back 54 times and then traded back up to get Tebow. He might work out, but it's uncertain.

I wouldn't have been against trading back, but you need a player that someone wants and you have to be willing to give up a guy you might want. I don't know how the Texans staff had the available DBs rated.

TexanBacker93
04-23-2010, 12:37 AM

He's stepping into a defense with some very good players, though. It could be a better situation for him than if he were drafted by the Lions.

TexCanada
04-23-2010, 12:39 AM
I guess what upset me about the pick was I don't know asa much about Jackson as I did Wilson and McCourty. He seems like a solid pick but with all the retarded trading teams (the Broncos) were doing with each other I was thinking we would've landed Wilson.

Hopefully he's successful in his transition, we could definitely use more talent there. Kudos for getting the position right, may the player be all you hoped he can be.

Also, lol @ Jaguars.

I'm on the same page as you, I wanted Wilson simply because I know a bit more about him. After reading up on Jackson though he looks pretty good. The "experts" say he is the most NFL ready, which is a good thing since he is going to be a big part of our defense right from week one when we play the Colts.

And yes, I too find it funny that the Jags took a guy that most thought was a second rounder, plus they didn't get Tebow. Not a good day to be a jags fan lol.

GP
04-23-2010, 12:47 AM

First chance I've had to weigh in on this draft pick.

I really like the pick. I am not IN LOVE with it, but I really like it.

With Dez Bryant still there, I was flirting with the idea of having another Andre Johnson out there for the offense to get the ball to. I even thought that we might take the bait, with Kubiak not being able to walk away from what might be a really good WR in a few years.

When Kareem was announced, and I saw he was from Alabama...then they showed the combine footage of him...I was impressed with how tightly-coiled he stays while tracking the receiver during the route--He has a spring that Kyle Wilson does not have.

It appears that Kyle plays things safe, staying shallow at the snap. Kareem, based on the limited footage I saw tonight, looks like a guy who is going to first try to beat the receiver to the place the receiver wants to go, then Kareem is going to hand-fight as the ball is coming into the area of the receiver's grasp.

I also can rest in knowing that Saban's Crimson Tide team is no joke. The guys on that team are for real. While I appreciate the job Kyle Wilson did against TCU in the bowl game this year, I will take an SEC starting CB vs. just about any other conference's CB that's out there. When you play in the SEC for three years as a starting CB, you're seeing LOTS of good WRs on a weekly basis. You can't escape the challenges that it brings you.

Here's food for thought, since people think we could have traded down and got him anyways: What if the Jets had targeted Jackson the whole time, and we ended up taking him from them? What if the only reason Kyle Wilson is on the Jets is because we stayed put and drafted the guy we wanted?

I had said, all along, that I wanted to see Smithiak just stand down and refuse to get involved in the cute trades. I was hoping we would stay at 20 and just grab one of the guys Smithiak felt good with drafting at 20.

The pick is a NEED pick, and it was not a reach (in my opinion). Kareem had no real "hype" and that's why it's falling flat on some people's opinion machine. But hey, you have to be picking in the Top 3 or 4 or 5 in order to get all the media analysts to rant and rave about the guy you just drafted. And frankly, I am glad our pick was met with what I consider to be quiet praise.

Besides, Mayock freaking called us the Houston Oilers earlier when Ryan Mathews was drafted early. Really? The Oilers? WTH, Mayock. Get some sleep already.

swtbound07
04-23-2010, 12:55 AM
Time for my annual "why the hell can't we ever address FS in the high rounds post" yet? Nah, wait to see if they ignore it for the next few rounds. I'm not a fan of the pick (suprise!) But then again anything but FS is a disappointment for me. Gotta wait and watch footage on him to learn more before I really have an opinion. Was personally just glad it wasn't Ryan Matthews.

Which list will Mr. Jackson end up on?

Texans bad first round picks
Travis Johnson
David Carr
Jason Babin

Texans Good first round picks
Andre Johnson
Mario Williams
Dunta Robinson
Brian Cushing

Time will tell I spose. Color me quietly unenthused for right now. Hopefully I'll come around later. I haven't been this sad on a first round draft day since Duane Brown though. Meh.

GP
04-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Whatever you feel about the pick,

at least we didn't trade a bunch of picks so we could draft Tim Tebow in round 1

Yeah, that left me with my jaw on the ground and seriously blinking over and over as I refused to believe that Josh McDaniels is going to build that Broncos team around Tim Tebow.

Did they not see how Tebow got absolutely eaten and fully digested, then crapped out into a toilet bowl, during the SEC championship game vs. 'Bama? I mean, I was a little crazy and had thought maybe Tebow had the goods...until I watched that SEC title game and came to my senses.

Wowzers. Josh McDaniels is on crack.

GP
04-23-2010, 01:11 AM
FWIW, I could have lived with drafting the center from Florida had he been there for us.

Myers is going to get schooled by the Jags' new Samoan and the Titans' new defensive lineman. Looks like they each know the way to Schaub's heart is through the belly of Myers.

texansdrummer
04-23-2010, 01:11 AM
I like the pick.....maybe not flashy, but definitely solid. The best part about not feeling nearly as thrilled about it all is the fact that we earned this, our lowest first-round pick in franchise history. Whenever draft day can become less exciting than the previous season(s).....hey, I'm all for that.

We addressed a known need with a player who seems ready to go from day one. I consider that a success.

Sorry to see Dez go to Cowtown - I've watched him play since he was at Lufkin, and my Dad's an OSU alum, so I saw him a lot there too. The character issues are highly overrated - He's gonna surprise some people.....hopefully KJ can cover him! At least he wasn't drafted into our division.

texansdrummer
04-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Yeah, that left me with my jaw on the ground and seriously blinking over and over as I refused to believe that Josh McDaniels is going to build that Broncos team around Tim Tebow.

Did they not see how Tebow got absolutely eaten and fully digested, then crapped out into a toilet bowl, during the SEC championship game vs. 'Bama? I mean, I was a little crazy and had thought maybe Tebow had the goods...until I watched that SEC title game and came to my senses.

Wowzers. Josh McDaniels is on crack.

Yeah...the Broncos just did their best impression of the Raiders on draft day.

The Pencil Neck
04-23-2010, 01:15 AM
I like the pick.

I was pretty surprised we didn't get Kyle Wilson but obviously, Smithiak had Kareem rated higher. I've heard a lot more about Wilson than about Jackson but Jackson has been rising up mocker's draft boards recently. We'll see how that all works out. I was surprised to see KW as the 4th corner off the board. And I really didn't expect the Jets to go after a corner.

Although I wanted Mathews, I was pretty sure the Chargers were going to move in front of us to get him. Now... we need to get our RB tomorrow night.

Pocky
04-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Kareem Jackson is going to wear #25 for the texans.

Texecutioner
04-23-2010, 01:27 AM
It's sort of hard for anyone to bash this pick knowing the Texans desperately had to get a CB.

I sort of wanted Kyle Wilson a little bit more, but the more and more I read about this guy I'm good either way.

What stands out to me are things like how he stays in the film room a lot, gave his results to Saban and didn't open them until after the NC, and the fact that he played under a coach that requires his players to have a ton of discipline. This guy sounds like a hard working guy who stays focused and that's what the Texans will need right away. We needed a CB and he just may have been the best one there. Only time will tell though.

I'd like to get a safety, a RB, and some more O lineman as well.

steelbtexan
04-23-2010, 01:43 AM
I had Mathews in rd 1 and Jackson in rd 2.

Jackson is more of a week 1 ready to play CB tan any CB in this draft.

With that said now the value rds are coming. Give me Asamoah in rd 2 and either Gerhart or Hardesty in Rd 3 and Smithiak have had a great 2 days.

Jackson is'nt a sexy pick but he's an upgrade over Dunta. IMHO

Norg
04-23-2010, 01:47 AM
We didnt get WIlson because he has dreads ANd looks to much like Dunta :I

stevn8r
04-23-2010, 02:26 AM
When the pick came through I was like, who? Then I started youtubing and NFL networking, and espning, and I was like, wow... Ing

his interviews show him as kindof a cocky guy(which is good) highlights show a good press cover( also good) good hitter/tackler( which we need) hopefully nasty!!!(time will tell)

I hope he shuts down dez on sept. 26th at noon!

Color me suprised but pleased.

DocBar
04-23-2010, 02:35 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6115

(on what he brings to the Houston Texans defensive backfield) "I'm going to be real feisty out there. I'm going to be real physical. Receivers are going to know I'm there. I'm going to do whatever it takes to make plays out there."
This kid is saying all the right things. At first blush, it looks like the Texans have scored. I hope this includes turning his head to find the ball!!! Maybe he can teach that to some of our other corners. LOL

WolverineFan
04-23-2010, 02:45 AM
I like the pick. Kareem was the best CB on 'Bama for the past 2 years. Arenas got all they hype because he could return kicks. The media loves that kind of junk.

I had Haden as the #1 pure man cover CB in this class and Jackson as #2. Wilson is more of a zone type guy although he is a good man CB too. I think, for our defense, that Jackson was the best pick. Our board was torn apart during the previous 10 picks so we had to reach a little to get our guy but I'm happy with Jackson.

One thing you can count on with Nick Saban coached players is that they will be ready to play as rookies. He can step in day 1 and make an impact.

This really helps our defense.

houstonspartan
04-23-2010, 03:30 AM
When the pick came through I was like, who? Then I started youtubing and NFL networking, and espning

LOL!!! That was exactly my reaction and what I did after I heard his name. Then, my cell started ringing from other Texans fans.

Look, I hate Nick Saban. I think he's the most worthless human being on the face of the earth and a man with no integrity. But, his guys usually come ready to roll. If I had to guess, the fact that this guy was well coached was a big factor.

TheOgre
04-23-2010, 05:08 AM
Look they couldn't have had Jackson, Wilson, and McCounty that far apart in grades. Why didn't we trade down "for less" and grab one of those three 5-6 picks later and get an extra chip for moving up in the 2nd or 3rd?

corytx8
04-23-2010, 05:37 AM
I clearly do not think this pick was a reach. I think this pick is a very solid pick and its going to pay off for us in the long run I believe. I'm actually excited about it. If he can turn into a shutdown corner that we are looking for, our defense is going to be that much better.

phantom17
04-23-2010, 06:02 AM
I like the pick@20! He's a tough, SMART, & talented kid from Bama, a powerhouse football program which uses a pro style, complex D coach by Nick Saban! What more can you want? Anyway ET & Pouncy (who was pounced on earlier by another team) were gone. Also, I wasn't too excited with K. Wilson! Now, gots to get that RB & DT on day 2!

ChemicalPete
04-23-2010, 06:05 AM
As one of the foreign Texans fans, I can say, that the danish draft experts didn't expect us to take this guy either. Personally Im thrilled that we went for a DB rather than just trying to outscore the opponents.
Its time we started preventing the opponent from scoring. Like all of you said the difference in those 3 CB(possibly even all 4 including Hayden) isn't that great. so yes we could've probably traded down, but clearly Rick and Gary had a preference and went with him.
I've long ago come to the realisation that I'm not as good at picking these guys as they are....I remember going to bed angry because the Texans had selected a nobody Linebacker from Alabama in the second round a few years back, when I wanted to strengthen our O-line with Eric Winston or Charles Spencer :-D
Funny how these things work out sometimes :-D

DocBar
04-23-2010, 06:06 AM
Look they couldn't have had Jackson, Wilson, and McCounty that far apart in grades. Why didn't we trade down "for less" and grab one of those three 5-6 picks later and get an extra chip for moving up in the 2nd or 3rd?It's easy to say that, but a lot harder to find a trading partner and get the value that you need to make the trade down worthwhile. It takes two to tango. Smithiak has shown that they will trade down, but it has to be worth their while.

TD
04-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Well...I like that he's from Macon, GA...we are already getting some local Texans coverage now. Maybe we can be a VY-esqe pocket of Texans TV coverage. :D

threetoedpete
04-23-2010, 07:49 AM
All I can say... A very very safe pick.. Not A lot of upside but he is pro-ready.

Agreed. At a time when everyone else was aggressive and picking plums off the board. smith held his ground and passed up prime rib for.....chopped liver. So is Sabin gong to pick up the contract when the kid busts out ? Everyone got better today within the division except the Texans. We got safer.

IDEXAN
04-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Count me as one guy who is totally happy with the pick and he's all I could have asked for with our first-round. Why ?
I didn't want to go running-back with our first round pick and with the Chargers making their bold move/trade for Mathews (they sure wanted him,
I'm looking forward to seeing what they gave for him ?), we knew the RB
option in the first was off the table for us. And everyone knew Haden would be gone, which left us with all the other CBs to choose from at 20. I favored
Wilson, but much of that has to do with him being very impressive at the senior-bowl, something that our guy wasn't eligible to play in because he's an underclassmen. But the Texans know far more about assessing skill-sets and
value for CBs than I ever will know, so we got our CB because the Texans got "the pick of the litter".

PHAROAH
04-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Great pick this guy can play even though I wanted the running back from Fresno St.. Please don't draft Toby Gerhart.

Rjpscr
04-23-2010, 08:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7UZBVb9ctY

here is a video about jackson from ESPN on youtube.

BIG TORO
04-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Very happy with our pick!

I wanted a CB and I liked Jackson over wilson.

bigbrewster2000
04-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Agreed. At a time when everyone else was aggressive and picking plums off the board. smith held his ground and passed up prime rib for.....chopped liver. So is Sabin gong to pick up the contract when the kid busts out ? Everyone got better today within the division except the Texans. We got safer.

Wow Pete I had no idea you had such great insight. I think I am going to wait til he plays just like I do every year before I make a statement like that. Why is this kid going to bust out again? Since he wasn't the guy you wanted he is an instant bust huh? Whatever Pete. Its ok if you don't like the pick but come on man.

gtexan02
04-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Picking Jackson over Wilson makes perfect sense if you follow the Texans:

1) Kubiak is in a make or break year. He doesn't have time to wait for a guy with a higher ceiling, he needs a pro ready cornerback RIGHT NOW

2) Wilson was inconsistent during the season, but spectacular at times. When you play in the AFC South you can't be inconsistent. Peyton would take advantage every single time.

3) Wilson is a bump and run, active hands type of corner who stays shallow in coverage. This isn't the type of game the Texans play. Our corners work at staying behind the receivers and making breaks that way. This isn't Wilson's strength

Jackson seems like the obvious choice

gtexan02
04-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Wow Pete I had no idea you had such great insight. I think I am going to wait til he plays just like I do every year before I make a statement like that. Why is this kid going to bust out again? Since he wasn't the guy you wanted he is an instant bust huh? Whatever Pete. Its ok if you don't like the pick but come on man.

Thats his thing. Im sure he hated the cushing pick as well

Kaiser Toro
04-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Let's keep it to the player, team and draft - not the member.

gwallaia
04-23-2010, 09:05 AM
The Texans not selecting a UT player in the first round Again!

IT'S true, the Texans hate UT!!

Kaiser Toro
04-23-2010, 09:06 AM

The FO and coaching staff can't take the pressure that comes with a UT player. :kitten:

TexanBacker93
04-23-2010, 09:10 AM

I heard from a reliable source that Seattle offered us the pick they used to take Thomas and their 1st round pick next season for our #20, Kris Brown, and Gary's landscaper's phone number. If it had been to draft an A&M kid I'm sure they would have pulled the trigger.

BigBull17
04-23-2010, 09:11 AM
If the guy you want is there, you take him. McCourty was there and was a fringe 1st rounder...and the pats took him. Wilson is falling for a reason.

Also, the texans tend to draft quite soundly so i trust the pick.

Yeah, last year they had targets and they were nabbed right in front of them, so they had their guy and took him. Can't fault a team for that. Im solid with it.

Maddict5
04-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Thats his thing. Im sure he hated the cushing pick as well

no he liked cushing actually so i dont really get this. cushing was also perceived to be a safe unspectular pick who had maxed out his potential and would be just a solid player. people are talking the exact same way about jackson which is why im liking it so far! the resemblance between how both picks are being perceived is uncanny. jackson is also an unspectacular pick who standout traits are his smarts, physicality & drive.

and just for a little perspective, have a look at people slamming last years draft

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60969&highlight=Cushing

Scooter
04-23-2010, 09:21 AM

isnt that a bit of a contradiction? by going safe did we not take the most "bust proof" defensive back still on the board? if we're basing this draft on popular opinion, other db's such as wilson have a potentially higher ceiling, but as a "ready now" player kareem has the highest floor of all the options. funny that new england traded down (twice?) for a cornerback (not wilson) ... who wants to wager that they were targeting kareem?

aggressive would've been taylor mays. while i dont think he'll remotely bust, he could potentially be a horrid fit for many teams - including the texans. that's a risk i'd love to take, but with a glaring need at both corner and free safety (berry and thomas off the board), i'm content with the guy who we're most comfortable with starting once the contract is signed.

i liken this pick to jordan shipley who i'm also hoping we find a way to draft. randy moss he aint, but he's pro ready and will start day 1 ... being a pro from anywhere between wes welker and anquan boldin. in both kareem and shipley, you know who you're getting but like everyone we dont know how much they'll grow. you know they have experience in the top programs against top competition and show up in the biggest games. there are no health concerns, no legal problems, no questions about determination or discipline, and no worries from who they were coached by. "safe" is a guy we're content to line up against reggie wayne ... (before ever playing a down) maybe he's not champ bailey, maybe he's not going into the hall of fame, but the texans see this guy covering the other team's #1. that's a safe pick.

V3rm0nt3r
04-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Picking Jackson over Wilson makes perfect sense if you follow the Texans:

1) Kubiak is in a make or break year. He doesn't have time to wait for a guy with a higher ceiling, he needs a pro ready cornerback RIGHT NOW

2) Wilson was inconsistent during the season, but spectacular at times. When you play in the AFC South you can't be inconsistent. Peyton would take advantage every single time.

3) Wilson is a bump and run, active hands type of corner who stays shallow in coverage. This isn't the type of game the Texans play. Our corners work at staying behind the receivers and making breaks that way. This isn't Wilson's strength

Jackson seems like the obvious choice

I just watched Bush's interview on HT.com (http://www.houstontexans.com/index2.html) and heard a lot of your first reason in there. Bush basically said that Wilson might have more potential but it's gonna be a lot easier to get Jackson on the field and ready come week 1 or even training camp.

He also has a lot of confidence in this kid. when they asked what 1 concern he had about Jackson's development he told them that his only concern was if he (Bush) would do a good enough job teaching him the system and followed it up by saying that they really don't have any concerns surrounding the kids play at all.

badboy
04-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Continued PROFILE (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1273346)Had not seen this before but was my eval also. Wilson fit my goal of a CB that could run down the field and break up a pass. Jackson does not. He was drafted by Texans due to their philosphy of wanting a CB to be effective with 15 yards of scrimmage and to help tackle TEs, slots and RBs. I think it would be nice to have a cover CB. Jackson may prove to be one but I've seen nothing to indicate that by watching him play. He does have stiff hips and I don't think he has closing speed when he guesses wrong. His strengths indicates he "mirrors" the WR but I see a lot of interference calls in his future against NFL WRs. I will feel a lot better about this pick if we strengthen our FS to help protect Jackson.

BigBull17
04-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Remember, Mays is still on the board. Wonder if they are thinking about him. I would have been very sad with him in the 1st, but if he is there in the 2nd, its great value. Even if he moves to WLB.

SheTexan
04-23-2010, 09:52 AM

Well, I guess they're pretty damn smart then!!!:)

Maddict5
04-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Remember, Mays is still on the board. Wonder if they are thinking about him. I would have been very sad with him in the 1st, but if he is there in the 2nd, its great value. Even if he moves to WLB.

how much value are the texans going to really add with a safety that cant cover or a project 3rd LB when we play quite a bit of nickel. imo go rb (eventhough not a huge fan of any of the guys left bar maybe tate) or get a lineman

BigTimeTexanFan
04-23-2010, 09:54 AM
The last couple of years the Texans have shown the ability to evaluate DB's. Getting Quinn and McCain in the later rounds last year and picking Pollard of the streets shows that they know what they like in a DB and they are pretty good at picking players that have it. We're not the only team that passed on Wilson. I'm intrigued with this pick.

Kaiser Toro
04-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Kareem Jackson & Nick Saban Quotes on Jackson Being Drafted by Houston

Alabama Crimson Tide cornerback Kareem Jackson on going to the Houston Texans:
I am very excited to be a Houston Texan. They kind of threw me for a loop because I had not heard from them since I met with them at the combine. I just cant express what a great opportunity this is, and how excited I am to be selected by the Texans. Antoine Caldwell (former UA offensive lineman) has told me what a great organization they have in Houston and Im very anxious and eager to get down there and start playing football.

Alabama Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban on Kareem Jackson:
We are very happy for Kareem Jackson as well as his family. I think it is a real credit to Kareem that he was able to elevate himself to a first-round pick with the great job he did at the combine, in his workouts and during the interview process leading up to the draft. He played a lot of very good football in his three years with us at Alabama and he will be an outstanding addition to the Houston Texans organization. Like all of our players moving on, we wish him the best, and he will always be a part of the Crimson Tide family and a part of history at the University of Alabama in terms of what was accomplished here.

http://capstonereport.com/2010/04/22/saban-jackson-mcclain-speak-about-nfl-draft/5945/

BigBull17
04-23-2010, 09:57 AM
how much value are the texans going to really add with a safety that cant cover or a project 3rd LB when we play quite a bit of nickel. imo go rb (eventhough not a huge fan of any of the guys left bar maybe tate) or get a lineman

I agree, I was just asking what people think I would take a RB, unless there is a run and all of them are reaches. Then, you look at value and BPA.

TexCanada
04-23-2010, 10:13 AM

To be fair, you were going to shit on this pick no matter what if it wasn't an O-lineman

Scooter
04-23-2010, 10:14 AM

what sells me on mays more than anything is his value in the division. additional run support against jacksonville as interchangable safety across from pollard. incomperable athleticism in our secondary against the titans and their options of vince young and chris johnson. and either in a deep 1 or 3, or dallas clark cover against the colts.

Maddict5
04-23-2010, 10:18 AM

so.......

the jags take a 3 tech rated in the late 1st at best in the top 10
the titans fill a need & take a productive if supposedly unspectacular DE to replace the departed KVB
the texans fill a need & take a productive if supposedly unspectacular CB to replace the departed Dunta Robinson
the colts take a DE that means either freeney or mathis will be coming off the field if he is to play

yet everybody bar the texans improved. it makes so little sense my head hurts...

and btw the titans and jags have no 2nd rd picks today. we're in good shape so far imo

HOU-TEX
04-23-2010, 10:18 AM
I dig this pick! Admittedly, up until last week I had not done much homework on Jackson. From the sample I did get to read up on and from what Bush stated, the dude ain't scared to knock the piss outta someone. I think it's pretty obvious what direction Bush is trying to get his defense going.

Cush, Quin and now Jackson.......Bush wants a defense that'll punch you in da mowf! And, I love it!

Yankee_In_TX
04-23-2010, 10:31 AM

That's exactly what I thought when I read that :)

MojoMan
04-23-2010, 10:32 AM
The Texans two most prominent needs going into this draft were CB and RB. While I would have been happy if we picked an RB, talented cornerbacks are much harder to come by, and are much more likely to be gone by the end of the first round than the RB's. Unfortunately, this was not a great year for first round RB's. But fortunately the Texans have picks in the second and third rounds that they can use to select a talented RB.

So I am happy with the Kareem Jackson pick. Like many others around here, I have been following the draft boards, and am well familiar with the names Haden and Wilson. Apparently, Smith and Kubiak were not following these draft boards, and used a different methodology to grade players and make draft decisions for the Houston Texans team. Frankly, I am glad that is the case.

Kareem Jackson was not a reach, and appears to be a very good pick at the #20 position in the draft. He appears to be very talented and almost a sure thing as far as actually being able to make it out on the field on Sundays. Drafting for "potential" is like playing the stock market. It can be a home run, or it can be a bust or anywhere in between (remember Jason Babin, Tony Hollings, etc.). If Kyle Wilson turns out to be a mediocre performer, his "potential" will compensate for his performance out on the field exactly zero.

Blake
04-23-2010, 10:39 AM
so.......

the jags take a 3 tech rated in the late 1st at best in the top 10
the titans fill a need & take a productive if supposedly unspectacular DE to replace the departed KVB
the texans fill a need & take a productive if supposedly unspectacular CB to replace the departed Dunta Robinson
the colts take a DE that means either freeney or mathis will be coming off the field if he is to play

yet everybody bar the texans improved. it makes so little sense my head hurts...

and btw the titans and jags have no 2nd rd picks today. we're in good shape so far imo

Agree 100%. TTP can spin it anyway he wants, but we got a corner with good size and speed from Bama to replace Dunta. So I am happy with the pick. Most people were more familiary with Wilson and McCourtey, but once they research Kareem and get to know him they will come around. Just be glad we took a corner and not Tyson Alualu. rofl

BigBull17
04-23-2010, 10:49 AM
I feel alot better knowing that all the CB's didn't fly off the board ahead of us and we settled. We got the 2nd CB, took the guy we wanted, and didn't let our clock run on our pick. We had him targeted the whole way, and that makes me feel better.

WolverineFan
04-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Well as for our picks today . . .

I expect us to come out of the day with a RB although I'm not sure if it will be in the 2nd. I'm actually more inclined to think it's the 3rd. I think we might just go BPA in the 2nd and RB in the 3rd. If Nate Allen is still available in the 2nd I would jump at the opportunity.

GP
04-23-2010, 10:50 AM
This first round was phenomenal for almost every team.

Except for the Jags and Broncos, I think each team got what they needed.

With each pick that was made, I kept thinking that it was a good pick by that particular team. I think this year's first round is going to go down in history as perhaps THE most productive first round in history. I don't see but maybe 3 or 4 guys out of the round that might not really translate into good NFL players.

And you know what? I like the new format so far. It was fun to watch the draft at night, then have work all day today to think about what happened last night (makes the day go by faster, IMO), watch the draft AGAIN tonight, then finish it up on Saturday. With the old format, it felt like a marathon on the weekend and I just could never get into it--My wife and my daughters are not so keen on this guy sitting on a couch for two straight days when we could be outside or doing other things as a family.

bckey
04-23-2010, 10:55 AM
The Texans two most prominent needs going into this draft were CB and RB. While I would have been happy if we picked an RB, talented cornerbacks are much harder to come by, and are much more likely to be gone by the end of the first round than the RB's. Unfortunately, this was not a great year for first round RB's. But fortunately the Texans have picks in the second and third rounds that they can use to select a talented RB.

I'm fine with the Texans pick of Kareem Jackson. I think that they believe they are close enough to being a playoff team that a few impact now players can put them there. Having said that, I do believe that the Texans were targeting Ryan Mathews with their 1st round pick. I think San Diego stunned both the Seahawks and Texans when they jumped ahead of both and got the player that they coveted. If you listen to the comments by Frank Bush he makes it sound like they were looking at running back and then regrouped and went defense. And Jackson does seem to be someone Bush can throw on the field day 1 because of the coaching he received at Alabama, the caliber of opposition Jackson faced on a weekly basis, and the complexity of Alabama's defensive scheme. It doesn't hurt either that Jackson likes to study film. Round 2 and 3 should be very interesting. Hopefully the Texans come away with 2 out of 3 of dt, rb, fs.

Check out this quote from Frank Bush

(on if they were set on a defensive player as the time got close) "We were set on defense. Of course you know there's two sides to the board as you look at the draft board and the offense had their guys that they really wanted and we had the guys that we wanted and as the things start to shake out, you know some things happened that we didn't forsee and then we had an opportunity to basically go back in and discuss the defensive players and this was a guy that we really wanted. He was a guy that we had really high on our draft board as far as defense is concerned and so that gave us an opportunity to go get him. We had a need in a lot of different positions as you guys understand and we were looking at running back but we also had a need at corner. We felt like this was a player that we had to go get."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6114

TexCanada
04-23-2010, 10:56 AM

With each pick that was made, I kept thinking that it was a good pick by that particular team. I think this year's first round is going to go down in history as perhaps THE most productive first round in history. I don't see but maybe 3 or 4 guys out of the round that might not really translate into good NFL players.

And you know what? I like the new format so far. It was fun to watch the draft at night, then have work all day today to think about what happened last night (makes the day go by faster, IMO), watch the draft AGAIN tonight, then finish it up on Saturday. With the old format, it felt like a marathon on the weekend and I just could never get into it--My wife and my daughters are not so keen on this guy sitting on a couch for two straight days when we could be outside or doing other things as a family.

I actually agree about splitting up the draft, I like it this way. Then again, I don't have draft parties and all that stuff. I just watch at home by myself, so when its too long I simply can't do it.

HoustonFrog

I said this in the draft section. It also is allowing teams to break up their draft and really concentrate on small segments where they can wheel and deal. You will have some smartly moving around and you may have some that analyze the night before, panic and make some crazy moves. So it adds some fun.

GP
I feel alot better knowing that all the CB's didn't fly off the board ahead of us and we settled. We got the 2nd CB, took the guy we wanted, and didn't let our clock run on our pick. We had him targeted the whole way, and that makes me feel better.

I think 30 teams got the guy they wanted. I have never seen a first round move THAT quickly. teams knew what they wanted and they didn't waste any time. There was just hardly any head-scratching moves except for Jags and Broncos. I wonder if the Chargers moving up for Mathews will pan out for them. For some reason, I am just not sold on Mathews as an NFL-calibre RB.

And I agree that we got a really good CB. The worst feeling in the world is when you draft a position and about 8 or 9 of those guys had come off the board BEFORE you selected your guy.

To be honest, I think Smithiak were ecstatic that they sat there at 20 and essentially had almost every available CB to choose from.

Now I am wnodering what their plan is for 2nd and 2rd round. Are they going BPA in one round, or both rounds, or are they targeting a certain position to improve? And if so, what position will that be? We're drafting at about 19 or so in the 2nd round, IIRC, so we need to pull up the best available and see what's there.

GP
04-23-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm fine with the Texans pick of Kareem Jackson. I think that they believe they are close enough to being a playoff team that a few impact now players can put them there. Having said that, I do believe that the Texans were targeting Ryan Mathews with their 1st round pick. I think San Diego stunned both the Seahawks and Texans when they jumped ahead of both and got the player that they coveted. If you listen to the comments by Frank Bush he makes it sound like they were looking at running back and then regrouped and went defense. And Jackson does seem to be someone Bush can throw on the field day 1 because of the coaching he received at Alabama, the caliber of opposition Jackson faced on a weekly basis, and the complexity of Alabama's defensive scheme. It doesn't hurt either that Jackson likes to study film. Round 2 and 3 should be very interesting. Hopefully the Texans come away with 2 out of 3 of dt, rb, fs.

Check out this quote from Frank Bush

(on if they were set on a defensive player as the time got close) "We were set on defense. Of course you know there's two sides to the board as you look at the draft board and the offense had their guys that they really wanted and we had the guys that we wanted and as the things start to shake out, you know some things happened that we didn't forsee and then we had an opportunity to basically go back in and discuss the defensive players and this was a guy that we really wanted. He was a guy that we had really high on our draft board as far as defense is concerned and so that gave us an opportunity to go get him. We had a need in a lot of different positions as you guys understand and we were looking at running back but we also had a need at corner. We felt like this was a player that we had to go get."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6114

Rep your way for adding this to the conversation.

It looks like we missed out on a RB two years in-a-row (Coffee last year and Mathews this year0.

But I think THIS year it might be a blessing in disguise that we lost out on Mathews. I have a good feeling about Kareem Jackson.

Second Honeymoon
04-23-2010, 11:01 AM
not a huge fan of the move but its obvious the Texans like him. there were still a lot of corners on the board and a helluva DT in Dan Williams, so they must really like the guy.

i am very happy that we are continuing a trend of getting players from big and successful programs. players that are used to winning and having to compete and earn their playing time. having the top coaching and the increased scrutiny of a major program like Alabama helps too.

was it a perfect pick? maybe not. did they maximize their value? maybe not. But they did address a need, I am just still bent that we had to spend our 1st Round on a corner anyway. Would have rather just paid Dunta and drafted Dan Williams, but it was personal between Rick and Dunta and frankly, that was Dunta's fault more than Rick.

Hopefully we get more value out of our remaining picks. I would love for them to get Taylor Mays in the 2nd Round. Then you get a RB that someone gets rid of or you make a trade. Why we didn't try and sign a veteran RB this offseason, I will never know. There were plenty out there and I don't want the Texans to be forced to grab a RB in the 2nd when there could be some very good prospects available when its our pick tonight.

I will give them an A for getting their guy, but I gotta give them a C+ for getting the most value out of the slot they picked in. Just my opinion.

GO TEXANS

Scooter
04-23-2010, 11:08 AM

that's a great point. we had our choice of jackson, wilson, mccourty, thompson, robinson, ghee, and arenas. the texans were taking a DB or a RB in the first round. they knew that, we knew that, everybody knew that ... with spiller, matthews, berry and thomas off the board, the whole dang world knew we were taking a CB. as such, it's asinine to assume anything less than excessive diligence in scouting and projecting those names. had we traded down and new england taken jackson we (fans) wouldnt have noticed, but the texans would have felt they missed taking who they wanted. had we traded down and gotten jackson while someone ahead of us selected wilson, this site would be furious, while the texans' staff cheered.

no, we stayed at 20 and took who we wanted at the selection we wanted him at. i dont think there's any more proof than that on who the texans agreed to be the best fit for the selection and the team. with only one cb gone we could have had anybody ... and we took jackson. combined with new england trading back to settle with mccourty, i think our choice speaks volumes.

El Tejano
04-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Had not seen this before but was my eval also. Wilson fit my goal of a CB that could run down the field and break up a pass. Jackson does not. He was drafted by Texans due to their philosphy of wanting a CB to be effective with 15 yards of scrimmage and to help tackle TEs, slots and RBs. I think it would be nice to have a cover CB. Jackson may prove to be one but I've seen nothing to indicate that by watching him play. He does have stiff hips and I don't think he has closing speed when he guesses wrong. His strengths indicates he "mirrors" the WR but I see a lot of interference calls in his future against NFL WRs. I will feel a lot better about this pick if we strengthen our FS to help protect Jackson.

Translation - We play Indy week 1 and they love to dink and dunk you. We don't want a "shut down" corner that lines up 15 yards away from the WR.

GP
04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
not a huge fan of the move but its obvious the Texans like him. there were still a lot of corners on the board and a helluva DT in Dan Williams, so they must really like the guy.

i am very happy that we are continuing a trend of getting players from big and successful programs. players that are used to winning and having to compete and earn their playing time. having the top coaching and the increased scrutiny of a major program like Alabama helps too.

was it a perfect pick? maybe not. did they maximize their value? maybe not. But they did address a need, I am just still bent that we had to spend our 1st Round on a corner anyway. Would have rather just paid Dunta and drafted Dan Williams, but it was personal between Rick and Dunta and frankly, that was Dunta's fault more than Rick.

Hopefully we get more value out of our remaining picks. I would love for them to get Taylor Mays in the 2nd Round. Then you get a RB that someone gets rid of or you make a trade. Why we didn't try and sign a veteran RB this offseason, I will never know. There were plenty out there and I don't want the Texans to be forced to grab a RB in the 2nd when there could be some very good prospects available when its our pick tonight.

I will give them an A for getting their guy, but I gotta give them a C+ for getting the most value out of the slot they picked in. Just my opinion.

GO TEXANS

I think Dunta's best days are behind him. IMO, we maxed out his value (especially with the injury and how it has got to be at least some bit of a detraction on his skill set) and it was time to essentially make that same pick in this year's draft.

The big guy from Iowa (Bulaga, right?) does not fit our scheme. He's a big hog who fits the Green Bay system and has their brand/style of OL skills. I think he's going to do VERy well there. And the center from Florida, Pouncey, would have been a great pick for us, IMO. He is solid. But he was gone.

That left the DT you mentioned. I really felt we were going to go Dez or Dan on that pick. When it flashed on the screen that we picked a CB, I was immediately OK with the pick (although I hadn't studied Kareem prior to last night).

I think Bush and Kubiak upgraded the LB squad last draft, the CB squad in this year's draft, and I bet we see some picks made for offense now. I don't know why, but I have this gut feeling that us passing on Dan the DT was Bush and Kubiak throwing down the challenge to our current DL players: "You guys are going to have to suck it up and get the job done. There ain't any miracle worker coming to save you guys and help you. You can play, and you better make sure you handle your business in EVERY game."

There will be no mistaking which areas of our defense is earning their keep and which are not. For years, our secondary has been joked about. Last year, our LBs solidified their role as being consistent producers you can rely upon. Jackson is from Alabama. DeMeco is from Alabama. They are going to team up and run that defense. And that means someone on the DL better begin thinking about being the leader of the DL and holding the other DL's feet to the fire.

Just my gut feeling.

El Tejano
04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Cush, Quin and now Jackson.......Bush wants a defense that'll punch you in da mowf! And, I love it!

That's right.....DA MOWF!!!

El Tejano
04-23-2010, 11:17 AM

I expect us to come out of the day with a RB although I'm not sure if it will be in the 2nd. I'm actually more inclined to think it's the 3rd. I think we might just go BPA in the 2nd and RB in the 3rd. If Nate Allen is still available in the 2nd I would jump at the opportunity.

I'm thinking Nate Allen too.

GP
04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
That's right.....DA MOWF!!!

My wife sat down and watched the footage of Jackson on ESPN after we made our pick.

She was like "That dude is ripped. Wow, he's like a laser beam out there."

LOL. But then again, she doesn't know what those white, dash-y things are for that are all along the length of the football field. :shrug:

wagonhed
04-23-2010, 11:26 AM
I love this pick! He is a CB, a 3 year starter from a great team (Cushing), and they interviewed the guy. Texans put a lot of stock in interviews (per Rick Smith) and I completely trust their judgment here.

stevn8r
04-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Why he is good! :bravo:http://media.al.com/alphotos/photo/60e175b33d423a617c8f01f23ab2d472_custom_665xauto.j pg:fans:

TheRealJoker
04-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Personally, I think the knock that he may not have "as high a ceiling" is just soutspeak for (we've seen too much film on the player and are nitpicking at this point).

Kareem started every year at Alabama and THEN came out as a junior. He improved every season and has all the qualities you look for in a CB. How is he maxed out on his potential over a CB who played lesser competition and had an extra year of football (EX: Kyle Wilson).

Bottomline, everybody watched Alabama play last season... quite a bit moreso than the average NCAA team. Kareem played in more big games than just about every prospect in the draft and there's no game you can point to and say, "He was overmatched". That there thingy is a quality player who has yet to max out his potential.

PS: Cushing got the same label.... he also started every year he played at one of the biggest programs in college football.

badboy
04-23-2010, 11:32 AM

So I am happy with the Kareem Jackson pick. Like many others around here, I have been following the draft boards, and am well familiar with the names Haden and Wilson. Apparently, Smith and Kubiak were not following these draft boards, and used a different methodology to grade players and make draft decisions for the Houston Texans team. Frankly, I am glad that is the case.

Kareem Jackson was not a reach, and appears to be a very good pick at the #20 position in the draft. He appears to be very talented and almost a sure thing as far as actually being able to make it out on the field on Sundays. Drafting for "potential" is like playing the stock market. It can be a home run, or it can be a bust or anywhere in between (remember Jason Babin, Tony Hollings, etc.). If Kyle Wilson turns out to be a mediocre performer, his "potential" will compensate for his performance out on the field exactly zero.When selecting any college player for any pro sport all you have is potential. You have to look at stats and game film and any games you actually watch. Texans are gambling on Jackson "potentially" being a starter sooner than Wilson or McCourty based on their personal opinions.
What you said about Wilson turning out to be mediocre is also true of Jackson or anyone else. We go with what the Texans brain trust gives us and that is what has caused the lengthy threads we saw before McNair extended Kubiak's deal. Unless we have a stunning 2-7 rounds remaining draft, I have now moved into the "show me" camp on the management.

The1ApplePie
04-23-2010, 11:35 AM
After a night to think about it, I like the pick, though Dan Williams would have been better IMO

Hopefully Cody or Price will be there in the 2nd. Having a bust and some street free agent at DT isn't going to get it done.

BigBull17
04-23-2010, 11:37 AM

GO TEXANS

I really think Green and Brown made the Texans never want a vet who's best years were behind them. Kind of a fool me once..type thing. I think I would have signed one of the three(LT, TJ, or Taylor) but I get why we were hesitant.

After a night to think about it, I like the pick, though Dan Williams would have been better IMO

Hopefully Cody or Price will be there in the 2nd. Having a bust and some street free agent at DT isn't going to get it done.

We have made a decision that bigger DT's arent what we want on our line. I don't agree with it, but its how they wanna run.

badboy
04-23-2010, 11:42 AM

I expect us to come out of the day with a RB although I'm not sure if it will be in the 2nd. I'm actually more inclined to think it's the 3rd. I think we might just go BPA in the 2nd and RB in the 3rd. If Nate Allen is still available in the 2nd I would jump at the opportunity.Nate Allen, Lamarr Houston, Gerhart, Burnett, Linval Joseph and Brian Price are guys I am looking for at #51.

The1ApplePie
04-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Glenn Dorsey is on the block, so I've heard

El Tejano
04-23-2010, 11:44 AM
One thing that I noticed about Jackson when his highlights came on (did anyone else notice how they didn't cut to his draft party or anything) was that when he intercepts a ball, he does it with his hands like he's the WR on the route. As I was watching him intercept the ball, I couldn't get that image of Dunta dropping that easy INT.

I also noticed that he plays alot of man coverage. How many times have we heard the announcers saying "you gotta give this Texan D some credit, they aren't afraid to stay in that man coverage."? If he's playing Man Coverage like that, and then you see him jumping routes the way he does, it means he's studying lots of film.

That's what I like about Kareem Jackson.

El Tejano
04-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Nate Allen, Lamarr Houston, Gerhart, Burnett, Linval Joseph and Brian Price are guys I am looking for at #51.

Dude, that's almost exactly my order. I got:

Nate Allen
Ben Tate
Toby Gerhart
Lamarr Houston
Reshad Jones
Brian Price

Honoring Earl 34
04-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Don't know if this has been posted but he originally committed to Vanderbilt . They just don't let anyone into Vandy , in fact Howard Cosell called it the Yale of the south .

Second Honeymoon
04-23-2010, 12:00 PM

i hear he is too. i think his monetary cost may make him a longshot to the Texans. Wasn't he 2nd or 3rd overall? that is big money for someone who hasn't shown a lot to date.

he makes sense and i like the aggressiveness of going after him but i think his salary will hurt his chances at going anywhere much less a pretty frugal team like the Texans.

see i used frugal rather than cheap...i am trying to give the benefit of the doubt over here :thisbig:

El Tejano
04-23-2010, 12:03 PM
see i used frugal rather than cheap...i am trying to give the benefit of the doubt over here :thisbig:

Good job SH. Good job. Recognition is half the battle.

Lucky
04-23-2010, 12:11 PM
i am very happy that we are continuing a trend of getting players from big and successful programs. players that are used to winning and having to compete and earn their playing time.

GO TEXANS
I basically come down on this pick the same way. The Texans inactivity in free agency forced them to look at RB & CB early. When the top RBs were off the board at #20, the Texans had to look at CB. Unless they were able to trade down for extra picks (which other teams were able to do).

I feel the best players @20 were Bulaga, Dez Bryant, and Dan Williams. The Texans don't have a need at WR, so Bryant would have been a luxury pick. Bulaga could have stepped right in at LG, and improved the offensive line. Maybe beat out Brown or Winston at one of the Tackle spots down the road. Dan Williams could have started at NT from Day 1.

But, the Texans can get by with what they have on the offensive and defensive lines. They had to come out of this draft with a CB & a RB. It would have been fine, IMO, to wait until the 2nd round to take a CB. Someone like Franks, Cook, Ghee, or Murphy would be around at #51. And it's also likely that a power back like Gerhart, Dwyer, or Tate make it that far. Not all, but probably one. But, you can't take a RB and a CB with one 2nd round pick. The Texans had to go either RB or CB in the 1st, and the 1st round RBs were gone. They painted themselves into the corner, so to speak.

What's a shame is that RB might not still be the best player available at #51. There are 3 very intriguing DTs still on the board. Lamarr Houston, Brian Price, and Linval Joseph. I'm not even including NT types like Cam Thomas or Terrance Cody, who I doubt the Texans have interest in. But, the Texans can't gamble that a RB they like will last until their pick in the 3rd round. As they did in 2009, and missed on Shonn Greene and Glen Coffee. The Texans are basically forced into a RB at #51. I still don't understand why they didn't make a play for Thomas Jones or Chester Taylor.

stevn8r
04-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Here is Kareem "CoCo" Jackson's facebook...(CoCo?)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kareem-Coco-Jackson/112020385493789?v=wall

And His Twitter
http://twitter.com/kareemjackson3

Show Some Love!!!

Lucky
04-23-2010, 12:23 PM

i hear he is too. i think his monetary cost may make him a longshot to the Texans. Wasn't he 2nd or 3rd overall? that is big money for someone who hasn't shown a lot to date.
Dorsey's big money came in terms of a signing bonus. Here's what's left on his rookie contract (per Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4661)):

2010: $983,500
2011: $1,582,250
2012: $2.181 million
2013: $2.75 million (Option Year)Another $18 million is available through incentives. If the Chiefs would take a 3rd round pick, the Texans should jump at taking another defender off the Chiefs hands. Dorsey is miscast in the Chiefs 3-4 and would be better served in the Texans scheme. But, the Texans have to hold on to the 2nd round pick. They can't afford to give that up, and I'm sure that's the minimum KC would accept for Dorsey.

Second Honeymoon
04-23-2010, 12:24 PM
I still don't understand why they didn't make a play for Thomas Jones or Chester Taylor.

they were being too cheap err too frugal....or just too scared from the Ahman Green deal.

i knew this was going to happen though. not getting some help at DB or at RB in Free Agency was going to paint us into a corner and force us to get less value out of our picks...and whaddya know. It happened.

if we go and get Jones for chicken feed (the Chiefs got him for crying out loud) and even if we kick Dunta to the curb, we could have gone BPA instead of being pigeonholed into critical needs.

Also the fact that they weren't able to orchestrate a trade-down really makes me question Rick's ability as a GM. Maybe not so much his ability but I question his rolodex and his ability to communicate and work with other GMs in the league. Did we not even accept phone calls? Does Rick even have these guys numbers? Just seemed a bit like an amateur hour...but I have come to expect that from the Smithiak Experience at times.

that being said, at least they did get a guy who was a 3 year starter at a top program. he seems like a smart guy too and doesn't across as some thug-life piece of trash....

...and on that note. JUST SAY NO TO MARSHAWN LYNCH!!

Texecutioner
04-23-2010, 12:27 PM
they were being too cheap err too frugal....or just too scared from the Ahman Green deal.

i knew this was going to happen though. not getting some help at DB or at RB in Free Agency was going to paint us into a corner and force us to get less value out of our picks...and whaddya know. It happened.

if we go and get Jones for chicken feed (the Chiefs got him for crying out loud) and even if we kick Dunta to the curb, we could have gone BPA instead of being pigeonholed into critical needs.

Also the fact that they weren't able to orchestrate a trade-down really makes me question Rick's ability as a GM. Maybe not so much his ability but I question his rolodex and his ability to communicate and work with other GMs in the league. Did we not even accept phone calls? Does Rick even have these guys numbers? Just seemed a bit like an amateur hour...but I have come to expect that from the Smithiak Experience at times.

that being said, at least they did get a guy who was a 3 year starter at a top program. he seems like a smart guy too and doesn't across as some thug-life piece of trash....

...and on that note. JUST SAY NO TO MARSHAWN LYNCH!!

My thoughts exactly.

Lucky
04-23-2010, 12:27 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs262.snc3/27756_114701158559045_112020385493789_169564_23442 68_n.jpg

Coco (Coco? Really?) hasn't signed his contract, yet. So I doubt we'll see a video of him "making it rain". Is that still going on, anyway?

Brando
04-23-2010, 12:28 PM
per Houston Texans Twitter......

Jackson also tried on his #25 Texans jersey in the locker room.

Honoring Earl 34
04-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Dorsey's big money came in terms of a signing bonus. Here's what's left on his rookie contract (per Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4661)):

Another $18 million is available through incentives. If the Chiefs would take a 3rd round pick, the Texans should jump at taking another defender off the Chiefs hands. Dorsey is miscast in the Chiefs 3-4 and would be better served in the Texans scheme. But, the Texans have to hold on to the 2nd round pick. They can't afford to give that up, and I'm sure that's the minimum KC would accept for Dorsey.

We could trade them a true NG in ... ummm ... Okam .

Second Honeymoon
04-23-2010, 12:30 PM

Another $18 million is available through incentives. If the Chiefs would take a 3rd round pick, the Texans should jump at taking another defender off the Chiefs hands. Dorsey is miscast in the Chiefs 3-4 and would be better served in the Texans scheme. But, the Texans have to hold on to the 2nd round pick. They can't afford to give that up, and I'm sure that's the minimum KC would accept for Dorsey.

wow, just like Haynesworth, this guy would be really cheap salary-wise.

personally, if I was Gary, I would call his friend Shanny and see if they would take a 3rd Rounder for Haynesworth. If not, then call KC and see if they would take a 3rd Rounder. If not, then see if you can sweeten the pot with a player and get Dorsey here.

Dorsey isn't a 3-4 NT and their brass knows it. I just worry that a team like New Orleans, Dallas, or perhaps Miami wouldn't make a move on either of those guys and drive the price up.

OT - kudos to JJ for getting Dez to Dallas. Dez hadn't done anything that bad and people are making him out to be PacMan. A luxury pick but Roy Williams is a lazy pile of dog crap. They need to get that guy out of Dallas and get him out before his sad act rubs off on Dez...and yes, I am a Longhorn. Roy is just off the charts horrible with his attitude, his lazy demeanor, his work ethic, his intensity, his love of the game, just about everything. Guy had so much skills coming out of Austin too....just a pathetic pathetic professional footballer.

Honoring Earl 34
04-23-2010, 12:34 PM
wow, just like Haynesworth, this guy would be really cheap salary-wise.

personally, if I was Gary, I would call his friend Shanny and see if they would take a 3rd Rounder for Haynesworth. If not, then call KC and see if they would take a 3rd Rounder. If not, then see if you can sweeten the pot with a player and get Dorsey here.

Dorsey isn't a 3-4 NT and their brass knows it. I just worry that a team like New Orleans, Dallas, or perhaps Miami wouldn't make a move on either of those guys and drive the price up.

OT - kudos to JJ for getting Dez to Dallas. Dez hadn't done anything that bad and people are making him out to be PacMan. A luxury pick but Roy Williams is a lazy pile of dog crap. They need to get that guy out of Dallas and get him out before his sad act rubs off on Dez...and yes, I am a Longhorn. Roy is just off the charts horrible with his attitude, his lazy demeanor, his work ethic, his intensity, his love of the game, just about everything. Guy had so much skills coming out of Austin too....just a pathetic pathetic professional footballer.

I'd trade a third for either because I was going to draft a DT there anyway .

badboy
04-23-2010, 12:35 PM
One thing that I noticed about Jackson when his highlights came on (did anyone else notice how they didn't cut to his draft party or anything) was that when he intercepts a ball, he does it with his hands like he's the WR on the route. As I was watching him intercept the ball, I couldn't get that image of Dunta dropping that easy INT.

I also noticed that he plays alot of man coverage. How many times have we heard the announcers saying "you gotta give this Texan D some credit, they aren't afraid to stay in that man coverage."? If he's playing Man Coverage like that, and then you see him jumping routes the way he does, it means he's studying lots of film.

That's what I like about Kareem Jackson.What I saw on those plays were seemingly short routes where his weakness in going deep was not revealed. I saw a strong suggestion he will get a few penalty flags ala Dunta R. trying to save a touch down.

Tailgate
04-23-2010, 12:35 PM
The only DB I wanted here was Bodden, and the Pats QUICKLY got him signed once he was on our front porch. He was never going anywhere but back to NE.

It is what it is. Now, if Toby can last till 51 then the Texans will have gotten fairly lucky imo in filling what they needed with what they wanted.... post Ryan Mathews of course.

badboy
04-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Dude, that's almost exactly my order. I got:

Nate Allen
Ben Tate
Toby Gerhart
Lamarr Houston
Reshad Jones
Brian PriceI knew there was something about you I liked. Jones is ok but I would not want him at #51.

Jackie Chiles
04-23-2010, 12:45 PM

I would take him for a 3 but not before I spend the 2 on a quality RB. If that RB doesn't fall to us and we go in another direction I probably hold onto the 3 to look for another runner.

Honoring Earl 34
04-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Kareem Jackson pro day interviews .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PRGOrfzoQM&feature=fvw

rmartin65
04-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Last night, I gave them a solid B. After sleeping on it and thinking about it, plus reviewing my notes and reading this board, I stand by my initial assessment.

Jackson is a safe pick at a position of need. He probably wont be an all-star, but he should be a solid starter this first season, and an upper-echelon corner for the next 8 years.

I am not jumping up and down clapping and giggling, but I am satisfied.

FirstTexansFan
04-23-2010, 12:56 PM
So did anyone have Kareem Jackson as our pick from the boards? I try to always acknowledge that individual by becoming their #1 fan :)

BigBull17
04-23-2010, 12:58 PM
One of the NFL Network guys picked it right befor the draft started.

Honoring Earl 34
04-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Last night, I gave them a solid B. After sleeping on it and thinking about it, plus reviewing my notes and reading this board, I stand by my initial assessment.

Jackson is a safe pick at a position of need. He probably wont be an all-star, but he should be a solid starter this first season, and an upper-echelon corner for the next 8 years.

I am not jumping up and down clapping and giggling, but I am satisfied.

To me , there wasn't a sexy pick to be had . We needed the mini-van and we got the mini-van .

Second Honeymoon
04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs262.snc3/27756_114701158559045_112020385493789_169564_23442 68_n.jpg

Coco (Coco? Really?) hasn't signed his contract, yet. So I doubt we'll see a video of him "making it rain". Is that still going on, anyway?

rant deleted. glad that is just some 'artist' named Rocko instead of being kareem.

overreaction over. sorry for the inconvenience. thank you, please drive thru.

rmartin65
04-23-2010, 01:06 PM
To me , there wasn't a sexy pick to be had . We needed the mini-van and we got the mini-van .

Yep, and therefore, a think it is a B.

Goldensilence
04-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Slight reach, but looking at the way things shaped out behind us. I'm not so sure he would've been available much longer. I like the move of staying pat, not getting cute and getting a guy you targeted.

Far as the pick itself goes. It's Solid. I like hearing stuff like possibly most ready CB in the draft.

B+.

kiwitexansfan
04-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Coming back to the draft again this morning I am happy we took Jackson.

I would of liked an OL like Iupati or Pouncey, I would have been really happy if Thomas fell to us, but given what was on the board we made the sensible play.

We are team close to the playoffs, we needed someone who could help push us over the top straight away and Jackson seems to be the guy who can come in and play right away.

Let's see what we get in the 2nd and 3rd rounds as well to better judge Smithiak's master plan.

Xcellerator
04-23-2010, 01:19 PM
I didn't really like it at first with Kyle Wilson still on the board. But I can't complain, because Jackson's pretty much pro-ready and played in a very tough SEC conference for 3 years. Can help us right away. Solid pick. I'd give it a B.

Maddict5
04-23-2010, 01:20 PM
did we really select this guy? is this really our selection? so much for him not being some thug-life wannabe rapper.....

....maybe call me old fashioned and yes I am middle aged white dude, but after seeing that poster, I absolutely HATE THE PICK!! Didn't we just run one of these type of guys out of town for being self centered and out to get mine?

hiphop culture is total and utter garbage and is symptomatic of what is wrong with this country...i thought we were trying to get people who were setting a good example and not losers who are or at least want the image that its all about money and hos....ugh.

ugh, i am now bent and will try and keep my thoughts to myself but that is just what we need in the NFL....another thuglife wannabe wanksta.

i thought he was the exact opposite but I guess all young america is ruined by this materialistic and misogynistic garbage. ugh i think i am going to be sick.

i am sure i will get flamed or even worse, get labeled a racist but if it was a white guy with that poster I would feel the same way. just another immature turd burglar.....hoo-freakin-ray.

why did you have to post that? i was starting to feel decent about the guy and the pick. now he is just another example of what is wrong with some of the youth nowadays...and not just black youth but all youth.

maybe I am overreacting (that would be a first) but its a sore subject to me. I work with disadvantaged youth and they need some real role models. they need to realize its not all about money and hos and gettin paid and being rich. for most of these kids, they wont ever be rich but if they work hard and follow the rules of society, they can make something of themselves. we need guys to use their resources to give back to their communities and their people, not be in a rush to spend it all on parties, money, and hos. if someone tried to get a job looking like that, they would be turned away. kids don't realize that and by the time they do its too late. be a freaking example to the youth and grow up.

*puts on flame retardant suit in anticipation of the hate*

relax man thats the rapper dj rocko on the poster

http://im.in.com/connect/images/profile/oct2009/Rocko_Rapper_300.jpg

its either him or JD Booty anyway :)

Brando
04-23-2010, 01:21 PM
did we really select this guy? is this really our selection? so much for him not being some thug-life wannabe rapper.....

....maybe call me old fashioned and yes I am middle aged white dude, but after seeing that poster, I absolutely HATE THE PICK!! Didn't we just run one of these type of guys out of town for being self centered and out to get mine?

hiphop culture is total and utter garbage and is symptomatic of what is wrong with this country...i thought we were trying to get people who were setting a good example and not losers who are or at least want the image that its all about money and hos....ugh.

ugh, i am now bent and will try and keep my thoughts to myself but that is just what we need in the NFL....another thuglife wannabe wanksta.

i thought he was the exact opposite but I guess all young america is ruined by this materialistic and misogynistic garbage. ugh i think i am going to be sick.

i am sure i will get flamed or even worse, get labeled a racist but if it was a white guy with that poster I would feel the same way. just another immature turd burglar.....hoo-freakin-ray.

why did you have to post that? i was starting to feel decent about the guy and the pick. now he is just another example of what is wrong with some of the youth nowadays...and not just black youth but all youth.

maybe I am overreacting (that would be a first) but its a sore subject to me. I work with disadvantaged youth and they need some real role models. they need to realize its not all about money and hos and gettin paid and being rich. for most of these kids, they wont ever be rich but if they work hard and follow the rules of society, they can make something of themselves and that making something of yourself isn't all about partying and hos. its about just being a man and maybe raising a family and being there for the family. we need guys to use their resources to give back to their communities and their people, not be in a rush to spend it all on parties, money, and hos. if someone tried to get a job looking like that, they would be turned away. kids don't realize that and by the time they do its too late. be a freaking example to the youth and grow up.

*puts on flame retardant suit in anticipation of the hate*

That's not him. It's the rapper "Rocko". I don't know who Rocko is but that's not Kareem Jackson.