PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Guide to Defense

DocBar
04-19-2010, 04:11 AM
I found this article and thought I would share it with you guys. Not everyone is aware what a 3-technique DT is or why a MLB is running up the middle of the field. These questions and more are answered here.
I apologize if I have this in the wrong forum.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2009/09bramel_idpguide.php

76Texan
04-19-2010, 08:21 AM
The Texans employ multiple fronts; that included all those mentioned in the article with all kind of variations.

kiwitexansfan
04-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks for sharing, it does make things easier to understand for someone who doesn't have a football playing background.

eriadoc
04-19-2010, 12:17 PM
From the article:

Before the 2004 season, Sapp signed with Oakland, where he moved to defensive end in the Raiders' new 3-4 defense. The result: 2.5 sacks during a season that Sapp called "the hardest of my life." Those numbers can't be dismissed as age related. Sapp rebounded with another double-digit sack season in 2006 after moving back into a more familiar defensive tackle role. What made Sapp so successful in Tampa Bay but hate life during his first season in Oakland?

We'll let David Carr deliver the punchline.

After one of the rare occasions that Sapp got close enough to sniff Carr (or any quarterback in 2004) and began sniping at the young quarterback's ability to read defenses, Carr apparently snapped back, "You need to be a 3-technique." Translation: "I'm not scared of you as a defensive end." Carr, who will never be mistaken for Brett Favre, voiced what Sapp already knew. Even the subtlest difference in alignment and responsibility can make a huge difference in a player's production. Sapp's new role was significantly different. His Pro Bowl numbers (and ability to effectively intimidate) were paying a heavy price.

old_man_1898
04-21-2010, 12:56 AM
Very informative, and comprehensive article. Nice find. :goodpost:

Rozelle
04-22-2010, 07:51 AM
I work with Jene on the IDP staff at Footballguys. Jene does a real good job explaing defensive schemes.

DocBar
04-22-2010, 06:16 PM
I found it very easy to understand and it helped me see what D the Texans were in when rewatching games.