PDA

View Full Version : Andre Johnson Interview

J_R
04-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Called in recently to the Mad Hatta Morning Show on 97.9

Enjoy: http://www.themhms.com/2010/04/15/andre-johnson-calls-the-mhms-and-speaks-about-the-upcoming-season-and-why-he-wanted-to-finish-school/

For those who may have technical difficulties or are at work and cannot listen:

Host: How you feel about past season?

AJ: It was alright, went 9-7, first winning season. At same time, upset we didn't get into the playoffs. Have to find away to win those extra games to get in to it

Host: What about the kicker? I know there's been some debate about the kicker over there. They bought this boy in and gave him like 5 cents to replace the guy who is making millions. Is that gonna help out the team or what?

AJ: A lot of pressure when you gotta kick them game winning field goals so I dont know how thats gonna work out. I guess Kris and Rackers gonna have to battle for that spot. We'll see what happens.

Host: Hey Andre, so what you feelin' about this season?

AJ: We gonna have to do everything, we have to do at least playoffs or super bowl or bust. That's how I feel about it. I dont know how everyone else feels but I feel it's time to take that step and get in the playoffs and win the super bowl so if it don't happen, I'll be upset. I wouldnt be mad if the whole city of Houston would be upset at us. That's just the way I look at it.

Host: You play the Cowboys this year twice.

AJ: What that mean?

Host: What you mean what that mean? You might be stayin' at 8-8 again.

AJ: Nah, ain't nobody scared of the Cowboys.

Host: Andre, I heard you went to the University of Miami but your finishing off your degree. Motivation to do so?

Other host: Derrick Coleman

(laughter)

Host: Good choice man

AJ: Nah, I promised my mom I'd finish. I decided to come back and try finish it all up. I been out of school for about 8 years now. It was a little rough when I started back but it was fun. I'm almost finished, I have a couple of weeks left.

Host: What are you getting your degree in?

AJ: Liberal arts(?) major

Host: How do you stay motivated knowing your financially secure?

Other host: Derrick Coleman

AJ: To be honest, my mom had already ordered my transcripts without me knowing.

Host: She was making sure you finished.

AJ: Yeah, she was putting that pressure on me herself. I went on ahead and tried to finish up.

Host: J-Mac keeps talking about Derrick Coleman guy. Who is he?

J-Mac: The basketball player who is in 5 million dollars worth of debt. Lost 87 million dollars.

Host: A lot of times, cats in the NFL, maybe they're not on your level, in your mind, what's your contingency plan because the day will come when you say I'm not gonna do this anymore. What's your after football plan?

J-Mac: And this guy, Andre Johnson, makes a lot of money.

(laughter)

AJ: The thing I wanna do when I'm finished playing football is I wanna coach. Coach in the college or high school level. If I was able to make it, help younger guys who went through some of the things I went through. Be a mentor to them and show them the way to help them make it and accomplish their goals. Not even them having to be football players, but just them to be young men and makin' their life.

Host: That's cool but how you gonna keep that 45-60 million you got?

(laughter)

Host: What is your plan for that? Gotta plan?

AJ: Yeah I gotta plan. I'm gonna bury it in my backyard.

(laughter)

Host: Alright, the third annual First and Ten youth football mini-camp. What's the deal with that? I think you're doin' that with DeMeco and Dunta as well?

AJ: Yeah, me DeMeco and Dunta, who is a Falcon now, which I'm pretty upset about that.

Host: Don't go puttin' nothing on your shoes and you get traded too.

AJ: Yeah, it's our 3rd annual First and Ten football mini-camp at Methodist Training Center on the 17th from 9am-1pm. Registration at 8am.

Host: Kids from 7-14 can go out there. You gonna teach them the best moves. What else do they learn?

AJ: Basically leadership and just skills. A lot of the time the kids come out there and you're tryin' to teach them and they're talkin' and stuff like that. Gotta teach them discipline and things like that. We try to teach them all kinds of things, not just football, to respect others as well.

Host: 3rd annual football mini-camp. Of course Andre Johnson from my very own Houston Texans, and DeMeco Ryans, and Dunta Robinson, who is an Atlanta Falcon unfortunately, but it's going down Saturday April 17th, 9am til 1 o'clock, Methodist Training Center right across from Reliant. If you need details, call 713-816-3223. Andre Johnson, our Houston Texans Pro Bowl WR, thank you so much and good luck this season brotha.

kiwitexansfan
04-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Host: What is your plan for that? Gotta plan?

AJ: Yeah I gotta plan. I'm gonna bury it in my backyard.

Nice to see AJ letting some of his personality shine through. Sometimes he comes across very vanilla.

eriadoc
04-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Host: Alright, the third annual First and Ten youth football mini-camp. What's the deal with that? I think you're doin' that with DeMeco and Dunta as well?

AJ: Yeah, me DeMeco and Dunta, who is a Falcon now, which I'm pretty upset about that.

He volunteered that snippet pretty readily, huh?

JB
04-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks!

BIG TORO
04-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the transcript, must spread rep.

Runner
04-16-2010, 01:35 PM
He volunteered that snippet pretty readily, huh?

No surprise to me. Dunta's fellow players weren't upset with him like many fans were, and he was never the lockerroom cancer those fans made him out to be either. As hard as it is to accept, he was a team leader - as players and coaches stated many times in his career here.

...and thanks for the transcript.

badboy
04-16-2010, 01:47 PM
I picture AJ like him saying "Don't pay no attention to me Mister Dback. I am just going to slowly start into my route and ain't gonna say nothing about your mama but.. here's my move and I JUST BROKE YOUR BACK!!"

eriadoc
04-16-2010, 02:56 PM
No surprise to me. Dunta's fellow players weren't upset with him like many fans were, and he was never the lockerroom cancer those fans made him out to be either. As hard as it is to accept, he was a team leader - as players and coaches stated many times in his career here.

...and thanks for the transcript.

I'm not at all surprised he feels that way. I'm mildly surprised that he offered up that tidbit when he wasn't asked about it, nor did the conversation have anything to do with it.

xreadx
04-16-2010, 04:17 PM
the only reason why andre liked danta is because he made practice very easy...

Norg
04-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Superbowl or bussss. Yeeks

J_R
04-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Playoffs or Super Bowl or bust.

headsplint
04-16-2010, 05:07 PM
I didn't listen, just read the transcript...and the host sounds pretty annoying. I bet Dre hated that conversation.

GlassHalfFull
04-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Gotta love AJ

AJ: The thing I wanna do when I'm finished playing football is I wanna coach. Coach in the college or high school level. If I was able to make it, help younger guys who went through some of the things I went through. Be a mentor to them and show them the way to help them make it and accomplish their goals. Not even them having to be football players, but just them to be young men and makin' their life.

Runner
04-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Playoffs or Super Bowl or bust.

Sounds like Schaub last year. Maybe they will get it done this year.

HouSportsWriter
04-16-2010, 05:21 PM
:doot::doot:Host: You play the Cowboys this year twice.

thats what I like to hear:doot:

J_R
04-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Sounds like Schaub last year. Maybe they will get it done this year.

Maybe. I hope. Seems some, not all, have been pounding this out the past year or two. Time to actually put up or shut up.

TexansBlood
04-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Aint nobody scared of the Cowgirls and the sweet part is we gonna beat that ass on national tv!!!

redwhiteANDblue
04-16-2010, 08:50 PM
I didn't listen, just read the transcript...and the host sounds pretty annoying. I bet Dre hated that conversation.

Actually if you listen to it then you'll change your mind. He actually showed some of his personality in this one!

DocBar
04-16-2010, 09:05 PM
That guy is just an all around class act. He should be the face of the entire NFL. What a great role model.

Porky
04-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Was this on the English as a second language channel? :gun:

gary
04-17-2010, 06:41 PM
AJ is a beast.

ObsiWan
04-17-2010, 09:02 PM
:doot::doot:Host: You play the Cowboys this year twice.

thats what I like to hear:doot:
Classic! I can just picture A.J.'s face getting all frowny and lookin' at the dude and goin'... ""What that mean?"

:lol:
my favorite part of the interview.

Rey
04-17-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm not at all surprised he feels that way. I'm mildly surprised that he offered up that tidbit when he wasn't asked about it, nor did the conversation have anything to do with it.

I think when players are on Radio stations that play music they are a lot more relaxed vs. when they are interviewed on TV or sports talk radio...

I've heard a few Texans players on 97.9 ands it's just something I've noticed...

Lucky
04-18-2010, 10:31 AM
John McClain caught up with Andre Johnson (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6963973.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Fspfbtxfron t+%28HoustonChronicle.com+--+Houston+Texans+Football%29) at the First and Ten Youth Football Camp on Saturday (there must have been free food for the media) McClain asks what AJ thinks of Brandon Marshall's new deal with the Dolphins:

“Since Brandon signed that big contract, I've been getting a lot of text messages and phone calls,” Johnson said. “Everybody's like, ‘Hey, what are you going to do?'

“I can't worry about that. All I can do is to talk to people (general manager Rick Smith) upstairs. If it works out, it works out. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Anything's possible, though.

“I think it depends on the way you go about it. A lot of guys say harsh things in the media, and sometimes that takes them out of position. I think if you go about it in a respectable way, it can be done. It's important to me. It's not something out of the norm. It's just part of the business.”
Looks like AJ is looking for an adjustment to his contract, with 4 years remaining.

infantrycak
04-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Looks like AJ is looking for an adjustment to his contract, with 4 years remaining.

Right now he is signed until he is I think 34 years old. Fine give him a raise and make the contract run til he is 36 years old. Lock him down to retire a Texan. And this seems like typical AJ. Yeah would like a raise but isn't turning his butt up about it. Someone had to stick a microphone in his face and ask him about it to even get the hint out there.

Runner
04-18-2010, 01:01 PM

This was hinted at last season by his uncle as we may all remember. I believe the thinking is that his current contract pays him as ONE OF the best receivers in the game. Now he believes he should be paid as THE best receiver in the game.

I think they have been in some level of negotiation for months.

gary
04-18-2010, 02:19 PM
I want to see AJ retire as a Texan.

HoustonFrog
04-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Classic! I can just picture A.J.'s face getting all frowny and lookin' at the dude and goin'... ""What that mean?"

:lol:
my favorite part of the interview.

I'd love to see the reaction here if Miles Asutin said something like this...."classless a-hole...no respect...can't believe they are talking crap already....blah, blah." :)

I love AJ. Good dude.

NitroGSXR
04-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Right now he is signed until he is I think 34 years old. Fine give him a raise and make the contract run til he is 36 years old. Lock him down to retire a Texan. And this seems like typical AJ. Yeah would like a raise but isn't turning his butt up about it. Someone had to stick a microphone in his face and ask him about it to even get the hint out there.

Exactly. My kid was there and will never forget it. Not only that but Andre, DeMeco and ESPECIALLY Dunta had a friggin' blast. That was the story. The kids and them. Shoddy reporting is all.

Business as usual in the NFL is to be expected.