PDA

View Full Version : Who is interested in a football clinic?

LZ
04-15-2010, 08:44 AM
I have talked to Steph Stradley about this in the past and numerous football fans and now I think I'm going to move forward with the idea. I made some contact with a couple of NFL coaches and scouts who are interested in speaking to fans and teaching football and talent evaluation.

Recently, I was contacted by a friend who works with an NFL team who said his team has four or five scouts willing to come speak to NFL fans who are interested in taking their football knowledge to another level which would include how to evaluate players on NFL teams as well as college players for the NFL draft.

The seminar would probably be over two days (weekend) and would include lunches. I haven't decided what to charge for the seminar to cover my costs, but we would provide info that you won't be able to get anywhere else - this I promise you.

Email me at lance.zierlein@gmail.com if you are interested in getting on a mailing list to get more info about the seminar in the near future. It will probably take place in late May or sometime in June.

NitroGSXR
04-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Budget for a sign language interpreter cause I'm coming. No joke.

Hardcore Texan
04-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Sounds like a great idea and a lot of fun, the only downside to living in the Austin area is not being closer for cool stuff like this or the various events put on by the Texans. I guess I'll wait to see the cost of the seminar before deciding and go ahead and get on the mailing list.

Email sent from Paul.

drewmar74
04-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Arguably the coolest idea I've heard in ages....

LZ
04-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Budget for a sign language interpreter cause I'm coming. No joke.

I will see what I can do.

gtexan02
04-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Eh, everyone on here is already better at evaluating players than so called "professional" scouts and head coaches. If you read the boards, youd know that already :)

But in reality, I wish I was closer to Houston because that sounds awesome. I can't imagine what the boards will be like after something like this though haha. What a kickass idea

Dutchrudder
04-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Great idea! I sent you an e-mail LZ!

TexCanada
04-15-2010, 09:46 AM
This is probably our scouts' way of getting other opinions, lol.

Giant Tiger
04-15-2010, 09:55 AM
but in reality, i wish i was closer to houston because that sounds awesome. I can't imagine what the boards will be like after something like this though haha. What a kickass idea

qft

xreadx
04-15-2010, 10:02 AM
any estimate on cost?

BIG TORO
04-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Sounds pretty cool if the price is reasonable, thats something I would consider.

nero THE zero
04-15-2010, 10:07 AM
In.

Is this something that can go on the resume? :lol:

Dutchrudder
04-15-2010, 10:09 AM
In.

It would put you ahead of Charlie Casserly ;)

The Pencil Neck
04-15-2010, 10:18 AM
But in reality, I wish I was closer to Houston because that sounds awesome. I can't imagine what the boards will be like after something like this though haha. What a kickass idea

Yeah. Me, too. I'd love to check out something like this. Just don't know if I have the time or availability.

Texan_Bill
04-15-2010, 10:46 AM
I have talked to Steph Stradley about this in the past and numerous football fans and now I think I'm going to move forward with the idea. I made some contact with a couple of NFL coaches and scouts who are interested in speaking to fans and teaching football and talent evaluation.

Recently, I was contacted by a friend who works with an NFL team who said his team has four or five scouts willing to come speak to NFL fans who are interested in taking their football knowledge to another level which would include how to evaluate players on NFL teams as well as college players for the NFL draft.

The seminar would probably be over two days (weekend) and would include lunches. I haven't decided what to charge for the seminar to cover my costs, but we would provide info that you won't be able to get anywhere else - this I promise you.

Email me at lance.zierlein@gmail.com if you are interested in getting on a mailing list to get more info about the seminar in the near future. It will probably take place in late May or sometime in June.

Sent you an email...

BTW, will Doctor Dr. Karol Kenton Kogslotter be in attendance? I'd be curious to hear his gentile opinions about some of 'Bama's prospects. :cowboy1:

Dr2bKay
04-15-2010, 11:40 AM
This sounds like a good idea. I like what the Texans host for the ladies and i am sure that this will be much more detailed. I will send an email. I am also wondering about the price. I am hoping that sponsorshilp from corps will cut down on the price for the participants. I am sure many companies will support this.

Double Barrel
04-15-2010, 11:40 AM
E-mail sent. Sounds like a very cool idea. Thanks for putting it together, LZ! :thumbup

TexanDave
04-15-2010, 02:08 PM
It would put you ahead of Charlie Casserly ;)

That made me laugh, I had to give you rep.

badboy
04-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Sent you an email...

BTW, will Doctor Dr. Karol Kenton Kogslotter be in attendance? I'd be curious to hear his gentile opinions about some of 'Bama's prospects. :cowboy1:Does he have any Jewish opinions?

NitroGSXR
04-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Sent you an email...

BTW, will Doctor Dr. Karol Kenton Kogslotter be in attendance? I'd be curious to hear his gentile opinions about some of 'Bama's prospects. :cowboy1:

Who?

If we're talking McClain, then I wouldn't pay money for this. Not one red cent.

Drew_Smoke
04-15-2010, 04:30 PM
I will see what I can do.

My daughter took ASL as her foreign language. We should make her do it. I have a buddy who is deaf and he says she is pretty good at it.

NitroGSXR
04-15-2010, 05:04 PM
My daughter took ASL as her foreign language. We should make her do it. I have a buddy who is deaf and he says she is pretty good at it.

I'm not a customer looking for a bandaid. If I have to pay money for this event, I'm looking to get my money's worth. Give me a trained interpreter. My ma signs pretty good but I'll be damned if she interpretes for me. Do not underestimate the awesome skill it takes to be an interpreter. Especially for such an event like this where I'm seeking and striving for some serious football information. If this was a charity event, then offer up your daughter but until then I remain steadfast on the interpreting issue. It'll only cost you folks pennies extra on your admission tickets. No offense to your daughter who I believe is perfectly capable of signing. I want a certified interpreter.

Drew_Smoke
04-16-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm not a customer looking for a bandaid. If I have to pay money for this event, I'm looking to get my money's worth. Give me a trained interpreter. My ma signs pretty good but I'll be damned if she interpretes for me. Do not underestimate the awesome skill it takes to be an interpreter. Especially for such an event like this where I'm seeking and striving for some serious football information. If this was a charity event, then offer up your daughter but until then I remain steadfast on the interpreting issue. It'll only cost you folks pennies extra on your admission tickets. No offense to your daughter who I believe is perfectly capable of signing. I want a certified interpreter.

That's what my kid said after I showed her this....you need a certified one.

NitroGSXR
04-16-2010, 10:06 AM
That's what my kid said after I showed her this....you need a certified one.
I still would love to meet your daughter. Do you bring her to games? Maybe we can hook up at blue crew one day. I'll introduce her to the rest of my family.

Shaft75
04-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Where do I sign up?

Will there be alcohol?

:texflag:

LZ
04-16-2010, 03:36 PM
In.

I'm not sure how you would word it, but if I gave the clinic an official name, I suppose it could. :)

LZ
04-16-2010, 03:38 PM
This sounds like a good idea. I like what the Texans host for the ladies and i am sure that this will be much more detailed. I will send an email. I am also wondering about the price. I am hoping that sponsorshilp from corps will cut down on the price for the participants. I am sure many companies will support this.

Unfortunately, I won't be having anyone sponsor this. This will be an opportunity that isn't out there for fans right now so the cost will basically help to pay for venue and speakers. I can't even mention the team because I need to keep it under the radar. Needless to say, this info will include Q&As and demonstrations.

beerlover
04-16-2010, 04:53 PM
sign me up :)

Hardcore Texan
04-16-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure how you would word it, but if I gave the clinic an official name, I suppose it could. :)

How about Football 201 or 102?

Texanmike02
04-16-2010, 08:08 PM
I love to meet your daughter. Do you bring her to games? Maybe we can hook up I'll introduce her to the rest of m....

Is that kind of like having an untrained interpreter? (I do interpreting for foreign languages (well used to)... and woah. Even Indonesian, which I spoke like it was my first language.. it was like woah... Hell just listening to a passage in either of my other languages, which I was never quite native proficiency in, is virtually impossible. On the fly translation is something to be admired. Especially when you are talking about actually interpretation instead of straight translation.. Then again that might be a little easier.. is sign language a word for word interpretation of spoken english?

/thread hijak

Mike

NitroGSXR
04-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Is that kind of like having an untrained interpreter? (I do interpreting for foreign languages (well used to)... and woah. Even Indonesian, which I spoke like it was my first language.. it was like woah... Hell just listening to a passage in either of my other languages, which I was never quite native proficiency in, is virtually impossible. On the fly translation is something to be admired. Especially when you are talking about actually interpretation instead of straight translation.. Then again that might be a little easier.. is sign language a word for word interpretation of spoken english?

/thread hijak

Mike

ASL is the most difficult language to translate. Refer to this (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70974) thread for a better explaination of the language. ASL is not broken English.

RID Level 5 ASL interpreters make upwards to $300-$500 per hour.

LZ, don't worry. A level 1 terp will be suitable for this event. I'd prefer a level 3 but they start to get expensive after that...

Texanmike02
04-16-2010, 09:39 PM
ASL is the most difficult language to translate. Refer to this (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70974) thread for a better explaination of the language. ASL is not broken English.

RID Level 5 ASL interpreters make upwards to $300-$500 per hour.

LZ, don't worry. A level 1 terp will be suitable for this event. I'd prefer a level 3 but they start to get expensive after that...

I wasn't suggesting it was broken english.. I was making a joke about someone who is unable to keep up. For example, while Indonesian isn't exactly word for word... you could literally look up words in a dictionary and you'd be missing thing like articles and your tenses would be defined outside of the words... but basically your sentence structure is the same. Take Korean for example though, it is a subject object verb language... as opposed to English which is a Subject verb Object language. The different order of the sentence makes it impossible for someone to interpret or you wind up with a sentence like "The book owning man for the purpose of sales mall shop rent while being in the past".

I was not making light of the situation nor was I thinking it was easier because it is more elementary. I was just thinking that the fact that the translator, the speaker and the beneficiary of the interpretation all benefit from the same thought process and sentence structure. I have a genuine interest in linguistics.

Its probably a discussion for a different thread honestly and I am interested in learning more about it if you have patience for my questions.

mike

NitroGSXR
04-16-2010, 09:44 PM
I wasn't suggesting it was broken english.. I was making a joke about someone who is unable to keep up. For example, while Indonesian isn't exactly word for word... you could literally look up words in a dictionary and you'd be missing thing like articles and your tenses would be defined outside of the words... but basically your sentence structure is the same. Take Korean for example though, it is a subject object verb language... as opposed to English which is a Subject verb Object language. The different order of the sentence makes it impossible for someone to interpret or you wind up with a sentence like "The book owning man for the purpose of sales mall shop rent while being in the past".

I was not making light of the situation nor was I thinking it was easier because it is more elementary. I was just thinking that the fact that the translator, the speaker and the beneficiary of the interpretation all benefit from the same thought process and sentence structure. I have a genuine interest in linguistics.

Its probably a discussion for a different thread honestly and I am interested in learning more about it if you have patience for my questions.

mike
I didn't think you were making light of anything.

Create a thread. I'm game.

Hardcore Texan
04-16-2010, 10:30 PM
I can read, write, and speak Spanish pretty well and it's not a word for word interpretation, I don't think that any translation works that way, it makes more sense to translate ideas or the overall meaning or as you said you end up with a sentence that doesn't make sens, but when you start getting real technical and detailed it's very challenging. That type of translating is much more difficult.

NitroGSXR
04-16-2010, 10:50 PM
I can read, write, and speak Spanish pretty well and it's not a word for word interpretation, I don't think that any translation works that way, it makes more sense to translate ideas or the overall meaning or as you said you end up with a sentence that doesn't make sens, but when you start getting real technical and detailed it's very challenging. That type of translating is much more difficult.

Can a mod please split this thread into a new one titled... The Linguistics of ASL.

Let me put it this way...

Watching an interpreter is like ordering a watered-down vodka from a bar. Lost in translation is something that I mutter to myself at times. One must stop relying on an interpreter to truly understand the language of ASL, this applies for both the Deaf and hearing.

The problem with most individuals is that it's assumed there is an actual English word for a handsign. That simply isn't true. In fact, over 60% of ASL come from FSL (french sign language). Yes, this means I can go to France and start chatting away with another French Deaf person.

Hardcore Texan
04-16-2010, 10:54 PM
I totally understand what you mean. Heck, half the time we have trouble understanding each other within the same "language" we are speaking/typing. And even non-verbal communication is important. I can tell what my wife is thinking just by body language.

Texanmike02
04-16-2010, 10:56 PM

I agree totally. I speak German too (though not nearly as fluently... definitely obvious that I'm not operating in my native tongue) and it is by far the easiest to interpret, even though Indonesian is the easier language to speak. Indonesian a very young language though (there isn't a native word for sink, for example, but the common use is "I went to the place to wash my (hands/dishes/etc)". Their sentence structure.. and with the heavy dutch influence in Indonesia for so long, the city dwellers (and most who speak the official language) have a rather western mentality... compare that with the mentality of the Koreans and the cultural difference show through. For example compare the following sentences.

I'm going to go to my friends house:

Saya mau pergi ke rumah teman saya.
I (want to/plan to/will) go to house friend I/my.

Na-Jung-eh ching-gu(eh) chib-eh-sa ka-go-ship-smnida
Later friend (possessing) house (go)(to-show-desire)(formal ending)

Ok no more linguistics in this thread... I'll hit you up later about ASL man.. swamped right now with vbulletin.

Mike

NitroGSXR
04-16-2010, 11:24 PM

mike

Might as well answer...

Sure we've got structure to our language but I'd like for you to find me a written ASL dictionary. I envision it to tone for the hearing people. Especially for puns in the hearing world. There is no such thing. ASL is art and art can only by defined by the person looking at it.

I equate it to tone for the hearing. You play with the tone of words. Pitch and whatnot. We play with our own intonations which are physical. You must hear to understand tone. You must understand ASL to understand our own intonations. Translating that takes away from the story being told. You have to know ASL to enjoy and understand the message.

If it were as simple as referring to ASL as relying on specific English words... take football for example. I can point to my foot while holding my crotch and Deaf people would understand that I'm trying to say football as well as laugh their asses off. An interpreter doesn't exactly see it that way... in fact, they'd probably be offended. You can't translate that. The meaning gets lost and then there becomes no point to what's being told.

Translating ASL is not simply switching back and forth from SVO to OSV. You must consider handshape, hand location, motion of the hand, facial expression before you can even fathom switching from the SVO and OSV agreements.

ASL is truly an artform. People always feel bad for me because I can't hear music. Pshaw. I feel bad for hearing people that they cannot understand the beauty that is ASL. It takes my breath away watching ABC stories. I might suggest you trying out some youtube ABC storytime. To an interpreter... they're saying A. B. C. D. E. F. How do you translate that? You can't. Period.

SAMURAITEXAN
04-17-2010, 02:59 AM
Wow this is a great idea LZ. Wish I was in Houston.

texanfan2002114
04-17-2010, 06:11 AM
I'm in!!! Great idea Lance! Hope you can pull it off!!

TEXANS84
04-17-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm in. I can't see how anyone would pass on this if they want to take their football knowledge to a completely different level.

SheTexan
04-17-2010, 10:15 AM
WOOOOHOOO! Bring it on! Please try to give as much notice as possible for those of us who work weekends and will have to plan time off. THANKS!!

Drew_Smoke
04-19-2010, 09:03 AM
I still would love to meet your daughter. Do you bring her to games? Maybe we can hook up at blue crew one day. I'll introduce her to the rest of my family.

She comes to one game a year...the one where her "beau" comes here. He's a real dork....I can't remember his name but he goes by #18 on the field.

NitroGSXR
04-19-2010, 09:10 AM
She comes to one game a year...the one where her "beau" comes here. He's a real dork....I can't remember his name but he goes by #18 on the field.

I no longer want to meet her.

*snubs nose*

I kid. Sorta.