PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Jones Tells it All.........

CloakNNNdagger
04-13-2010, 05:26 PM
From DEAD SPIN:

Slurring Jerry Jones Bad-Mouths Bill Parcells, Tim Tebow

A source sends along this video of a seemingly inebriated Jerry Jones waxing off about Tim Tebow ("he'd never get on the field"), Bill Parcells ("not worth a shit"), and how he got his stadium. Read the rough transcript after the jump. VIDEO (http://deadspin.com/5516297/slurring-jerry-jones-bad+mouths-bill-parcells-tim-tebow)

Jerry Jones: Romo was a miracle.

Other guy: It was a miracle, wasn't it?

JJ: He almost never got in, and he almost was gone. Tebow would never…

Different other guy: What if you were the Jaguars or — would you just, just draft him and sell ****ing jerseys?

JJ: That's the only reason I brought in Bill Parcells.

[Laughter]

JJ: [Inaudible. Sounds a little like, "Sell mammoth ****in' rake," whatever that means.]

JJ: Bill's not worth a shit. I love him.

Different other guy: I know you do.

JJ: Not worth a shit, but I wanted — they were on my ass so bad. J's gotta have a yes man. So to get this ****in' stadium, I need to bring his ass in.

Different other guy: What, you, you wouldn't take Tebow in the third round?

JJ: Why? He'd never get on the field. I can't get him out there.

[Laughter]

JJ: I can't get him out there.

Texan_Bill
04-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Shoot! I couldn't listen to it. I'll listen to it after I get home tonight.

Texan_Bill
04-13-2010, 07:01 PM
What a jackass!!!!

HouSportsWriter
04-13-2010, 07:38 PM
~~breaking news~~

jerry jones is sueing rickey martin for there sex tape

:spin::kitten:

gary
04-13-2010, 08:58 PM
I thought his name is Dewayne Johnson Jerry made the sex tape with. LOL.

Craig.
04-13-2010, 09:08 PM
He was drunk but not scandalous. He was right on both counts.

Second Honeymoon
04-13-2010, 11:08 PM
wow..simply wow

i dont think Jerrah knew he was being filmed...

i have never been a hater of Jones but this is off the hook low-class and he lost major points with me

you know other owners are just laughing at him behind his back after this

GP
04-13-2010, 11:45 PM
LOL. Oh wow. That was a special glimpse of Jerry in a drunken state.

Some young dudes goading him into saying completely drunken foolish stuff.

A drunken, sunken-skulled Jerry Jones reminds me of Weekend At Bernie's: Prop up a corpse and move his jaw to make it look like he's talking.

I suppose after the party they loaded up with Jerry and went to watch Red Shoe Diaries on the jumbo HD screen in the new stadium. With Jerry nodding off to sleep while the young dudes posed him in several compromising positions.

Next day, Jerry wakes up near a dumpster in Laredo with lipstick on his lips and a homeless man clipping Jerry's toenails, saving them in a small box to sell on ebay.

HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS!?!? Woo!

ArlingtonTexan
04-13-2010, 11:49 PM
He actually more coherent drunk than sober. Anyway, this is not the first time I have heard (seen here) about Jones partying a little too much. From what I understand he is a great guy to sit at a bar with because he pulls no punches when he is not on camera or on the record. He is not some well balanced deep thinking intellectual, but more a risk taker who got lucky in the oil business and maybe even luckier in the football business.

GP
04-14-2010, 12:18 AM
He actually more coherent drunk than sober. Anyway, this is not the first time I have heard (seen here) about Jones partying a little too much. From what I understand he is a great guy to sit at a bar with because he pulls no punches when he is not on camera or on the record. He is not some well balanced deep thinking intellectual, but more a risk taker who got lucky in the oil business and maybe even luckier in the football business.

He's the loudmouth, joke-telling, mover-and-shaker that all of us, to some degree or another, wish to be from time to time.

He's a charmer. He knows how to get people to agree with him and to do what he wants them to do.

Probably says some stuff he wishes he hadn't, but then again there's the charm of the guy: You still, somehow, will find yourself giving him another chance even if he said or did bad things. He's a little bit like Simon Cowell from American Idol: A bit of a turd, but then he can flash some signs of being a normal guy...but you always wonder which person he will be from moment-to-moment.

I bet there are some WILD, true stories that involve Jerry Jones. Would love to some day read a tell-all on the guy.

CloakNNNdagger
04-14-2010, 08:22 AM
LOL. Oh wow. That was a special glimpse of Jerry in a drunken state.

Some young dudes goading him into saying completely drunken foolish stuff.

A drunken, sunken-skulled Jerry Jones reminds me of Weekend At Bernie's: Prop up a corpse and move his jaw to make it look like he's talking.

I suppose after the party they loaded up with Jerry and went to watch Red Shoe Diaries on the jumbo HD screen in the new stadium. With Jerry nodding off to sleep while the young dudes posed him in several compromising positions.

Next day, Jerry wakes up near a dumpster in Laredo with lipstick on his lips and a homeless man clipping Jerry's toenails, saving them in a small box to sell on ebay.

HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS!?!? Woo!

Someone rep the boy!! I can't get any of the above visions out of my mind.:spit:

HoustonFrog
04-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Jerry used to tie them on alot more but laid off for a long, long time.

I don't mind this at all. Everything he said was true. Most of us knew he felt pressure to bring in Bill. He didn't really diss Tebow, just said he wouldn't get on the field. To me it is a big so what. But a funny one. Hell, he hired Jimmy over margaritas and beer.

I think it is a pretty crappy day and age though where everyone tapes everything. The stories of drinking, etc from the old days seemed alot more "colorful" when told through newspaper guys.

StarStruck
04-14-2010, 10:11 AM

I don't mind this at all. Everything he said was true. Most of us knew he felt pressure to bring in Bill. He didn't really diss Tebow, just said he wouldn't get on the field. To me it is a big so what. But a funny one. Hell, he hired Jimmy over margaritas and beer.

I think it is a pretty crappy day and age where evryone tapes everything now though. The stories of drinking, etc from the old days seemed alot more "colorful" when told through newspaper guys.

Must spread the rep! My thoughts almost exactly.

dalemurphy
04-14-2010, 11:02 AM

I think it is a pretty crappy day and age though where everyone tapes everything. The stories of drinking, etc from the old days seemed alot more "colorful" when told through newspaper guys.

I couldn't dream up a better example of why I'm not a Cowboy fan anymore!

1. Totally obnoxious, classless, scumbag of an owner.
2. Cowboy fans that desperately continue to justify everything the man does.

I'm not sure about what you do in your profession. As for me, I've managed a lot of people and some of them aren't my favorites. When I drink or when I'm sober, I don't bring up names of ex-employees and call them "pieces of shit" in a public setting to people that know who I am talking about, regardless of my personal issues with them. But hey, I guess I'm just crazy like that.

HoustonFrog
04-14-2010, 11:15 AM

I'm not sure about what you do in your profession. As for me, I've managed a lot of people and some of them aren't my favorites. When I drink or when I'm sober, I don't bring up names of ex-employees and call them "pieces of shit" in a public setting to people that know who I am talking about, regardless of my personal issues with them. But hey, I guess I'm just crazy like that.

Hey Dale. I'm so tired of your "I'm an ex-Cowboy fan" b.s. You basically just jump around. Half of your stories make no sense. You aren't above it all. No one is justifying anything but he did nothing wrong. If this was McNair you would be screaming to arrest someone for tapng him without his knowledge, etc. Stop being a hypocrite. The guy is just is shooting the crap with some dudes at a bar. We all do it and expect not to be video taped secretly. I talk crap about people all the time with my friends and ***** about work. He basically was laughing and said he "loves the guy" too. He didn't even bad mouth Tebow. I've said alot of bad stuff abotu Jerry's managment but this isn't going to be anything I get myself worked up about.

You know what I'm tired of.....never mind. This stuff is always funny to me since I posted the article once about how Jerry and McNair are friends, etc. I guess that makes McNair some kind of *****.

Get over yourself.

IDEXAN
04-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Drunken hillbillies can sure make fools out of themselves, especially when they're the guy who gave up a whole draft for that worthless WR Roy Williams while the guy he's trying to demean down in South FLA just got Brandon Marshal for a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder (which is how they value a 2011 #2 pick right now).

dalemurphy
04-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey Dale. I'm so tired of your "I'm an ex-Cowboy fan" b.s. You basically just jump around. Half of your stories make no sense. You aren't above it all. No one is justifying anything but he did nothing wrong. If this was McNair you would be screaming to arrest someone for tapng him without his knowledge, etc. Stop being a hypocrite. The guy is just is shooting the crap with some dudes at a bar. We all do it and expect not to be video taped secretly. I talk crap about people all the time with my friends and ***** about work. He basically was laughing and said he "loves the guy" too. He didn't even bad mouth Tebow. I've said alot of bad stuff abotu Jerry's managment but this isn't going to be anything I get myself worked up about.

You know what I'm tired of.....never mind. This stuff is always funny to me since I posted the article once about how Jerry and McNair are friends, etc. I guess that makes McNair some kind of *****.

Get over yourself.

HoustonFrog: "No one is justifying anything.... but, he did nothing wrong".
that's funny!

HoustonFrog: "He basically was laughing and said he 'loves the guy' too"
yeah, clearly, when you call a person you fired a "piece of shit" and then follow that with, "but I love the guy", He's just joking and clearly respects him! whatever you need to believe.

Bitching about work isn't the same thing as being disrespectful to former employees that you fired. If you do that, then you are an S.O.B... and no, we don't all treat people that way. I don't. And, just because you don't like what I have to say doesn't make me a hypocrite.

If Bob McNair was caught behaving this way, I would be devastated. The fact is that McNair simply doesn't lack class like Jerry Jones and Bud Adams do. That's just reality. If you can show me evidence otherwise, please do so.

StarStruck
04-14-2010, 12:06 PM

It's commendable that you do, however, in a society of having to be the first to tell or show a video clip, no place is sacred. I have been privy to conversations that probably wouldn't be broadcast from a virtual stage, but then we also didn't have people doing private recordings of private conversations or trusted people "speaking on the condition of anominity."

IMO, this isn't as much about Jerry and what he said or if it had been anyone else whether I liked them or not, I have a problem with another example of lack of privacy and number of people that choose to be self appointed town criers. Hopefully, we don't end up with significant security breaches because of loose lips.

WWJD
04-14-2010, 12:16 PM
breaking news....

Jerry probably has said something stupid today. He may even do it tonight.

He just won't be video taped doing so.

No wait..he might..almost every interview he does he says something stupid.

It's just in his DNA.

I'm use to it.

drewmar74
04-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Someone rep the boy!! I can't get any of the above visions out of my mind.:spit:

Got him...... really was a classic post. Painted a great picture.

:clap:

StarStruck
04-14-2010, 12:25 PM
that's funny!

Bitching about work isn't the same thing as being disrespectful to former employees that you fired. If you do that, then you are an S.O.B... and no, we don't all treat people that way. I don't. And, just because you don't like what I have to say doesn't make me a hypocrite.

If Bob McNair was caught behaving this way, I would be devastated. The fact is that McNair simply doesn't lack class like Jerry Jones and Bud Adams do. That's just reality. If you can show me evidence otherwise, please do so.

Who did Jerry fire?

Devastated? I thought I was committed to my team, but even I haven't risen to that level, and truth be told, won't.

Texan_Bill
04-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Who did Jerry fire?

This is easy:

Tom Landry
Jimmy Johnson
Barry Switzer
Chan Gailey
Dave Campo
Bill Parcels
Wade Phillips (errrrrr not yet, but it's coming)

People can dress up firings by statint coaches "who choose to move on", but that's code word for still being fired.

eriadoc
04-14-2010, 12:43 PM
I just want to know how y'all can think that what he said was true. OK, Tebow wouldn't see the field, but "Parcells isn't worth a shit"? Last I checked, Parcells built that team. Parcells built every team he's run into a contender, including the now up-and-coming Dolphins. I'd take Parcells on the Texans in a heartbeat.

Jerry Jones is delusional if he thinks he can build the Cowboys up better than where Parcells left them. In fact, it's pretty much going downhill. Give it a few years and another Quincy pick from Jerry, and we'll see.

Actually, Jerry Jones is just delusional. I guess I'll leave it at that.

HoustonFrog
04-14-2010, 12:50 PM
that's funny!

HoustonFrog: "He basically was laughing and said he 'loves the guy' too"
yeah, clearly, when you call a person you fired a "piece of shit" and then follow that with, "but I love the guy", He's just joking and clearly respects him! whatever you need to believe.

You don't know Mr. McNair anymore than you know Jerry Jones. You don't know what McNair says behind closed doors because you have yet to see a conversation videotaped. That is the point. I've sat at BW3 1000s of times and discussed my life, my work, etc with a beer with friends. Not once have I been embarassed because no one has videotped it. You are calling him out because of his statement when his statement wasn't for general consumption.

And get your made up Cowboy stories straight. Parcells moved on. If you knew anything you would know that. That road went both ways and both men admitted it.

If you read anything over the years you would see that most of us here aren't the homer you are and we actually criticize Jerry quite often and hold his feet to the fire.

This is easy:

Tom Landry
Jimmy Johnson
Barry Switzer
Chan Gailey
Dave Campo
Bill Parcels
Wade Phillips (errrrrr not yet, but it's coming)

People can dress up firings by statint coaches "who choose to move on", but that's code word for still being fired.

Sorry TB, but you are wrong on Parcells. There were detailed stories in Dallas about Parcells pushing Jerry's buttons to get out and wanting to get out. He said 2 years before he left that he wasn't sure if he could do the job anymore. Both guys did their thing to make things end. Same with Jimmy Johnson. Johnson has admitted this publicly.

Again, another Cowboy subject taking wings around here to be more than it is when the model franchise the Steelers has thugs all over now.....guess it doesn't count unless it is in Dallas.

dalemurphy
04-14-2010, 01:07 PM
It's commendable that you do, however, in a society of having to be the first to tell or show a video clip, no place is sacred. I have been privy to conversations that probably wouldn't be broadcast from a virtual stage, but then we also didn't have people doing private recordings of private conversations or trusted people "speaking on the condition of anominity."

IMO, this isn't as much about Jerry and what he said or if it had been anyone else whether I liked them or not, I have a problem with another example of lack of privacy and number of people that choose to be self appointed town criers. Hopefully, we don't end up with significant security breaches because of loose lips.

He was talking drunk and loudly at a public bar. What expectation of privacy could he possibly of had? I'm not criticizing him for saying these things to millions of people. I'm saying he should not have been in that bar and being disrespectful about a former employee. Furthermore, being drunk and obnoxious at a bar is moronic behavior. Of course most of us have done it at one time or another. But, he is close to 70 years old and represents an organization. I do't mind the occasional drunk frat boy at a party or a bar. But, I sure the heck don't spend my time and money rooting for his product and celebrating his successes.

StarStruck
04-14-2010, 01:16 PM
This is easy:People can dress up firings by statint coaches "who choose to move on", but that's code word for still being fired.

Tom Landry--Should have been handled differently, but his best coaching days were behind him.
Jimmy Johnson--Yep, although I think there is more to the story and before the days of secret tapings.
Barry Switzer--Barry was at peace before becoming a coach. I could be wrong, but I thought that was more a coolness between him and Troy going back to the OU days.
Chan Gailey--Thank Goodness
Dave Campo--Thank Goodness
Bill Parcels--Another at peace and content in calling his own shots about his career.
Wade Phillips (errrrrr not yet, but it's coming)--We'll see, but if we get another trend of 5-11's , yep he won't last long.

Texan_Bill
04-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Sorry TB, but you are wrong on Parcells. There were detailed stories in Dallas about Parcells pushing Jerry's buttons to get out and wanting to get out. He said 2 years before he left that he wasn't sure if he could do the job anymore. Both guys did their thing to make things end. Same with Jimmy Johnson. Johnson has admitted this publicly.

Again, another Cowboy subject taking wings around here to be more than it is when the model franchise the Steelers has thugs all over now.....guess it doesn't count unless it is in Dallas.

Again, you can put a dress on donkey, but it's still a donkey. The media can make up whatever stories they want. Remember Warren Moon was an upstanding, God fearing family man???

I think it went more this way: Jerry Jones and Bill Parcells got on each other's nerves. Jerry signs the checks leaving Bill on the outside looking in. Did Jerry yell in his best Donald Trump or Vince McMahon voice, "You're fired!!" Probably not, but the net result is the same.

FirstTexansFan
04-14-2010, 01:20 PM

I agree with the bolded for sure... amazing how video taped evidence has disappeared.. the Stealer nation has proven to be a bit corrupt :) Though I gotta say this for my wife/die-hard squeelers fan... she's none too happy with the thugs, and has as much said she'd prefer losing than to support a team with criminals on it... there may be hope for her as a Texans fan, at least she'll be able to support a team with class... oh they can't win, but dangit, they are nice guys :)

HoustonFrog
04-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Again, you can put a dress on donkey, but it's still a donkey. The media can make up whatever stories they want. Remember Warren Moon was an upstanding, God fearing family man???

I think it went more this way: Jerry Jones and Bill Parcells got on each other's nerves. Jerry signs the checks leaving Bill on the outside looking in. Did Jerry yell in his best Donald Trump or Vince McMahon voice, "You're fired!!" Probably not, but the net result is the same.

Hoenstly, I think his two strongest coaches...Jimmy and Parcells...knew how to push Jerry's buttons and they did as much damage as Jerry.

I find it funny that Dale and some others mention they liked the Cowboys when Jimmy was around. That is funny because you know how the Jimmy and Jerry problem came to a head.....Jimmy having drinks with people and making fun of Jerry about how he shouldn't get the credit. Now that is ironic.

dalemurphy
04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
You don't know Mr. McNair anymore than you know Jerry Jones. You don't know what McNair says behind closed doors because you have yet to see a conversation videotaped. That is the point. I've sat at BW3 1000s of times and discussed my life, my work, etc with a beer with friends. Not once have I been embarassed because no one has videotped it. You are calling him out because of his statement when his statement wasn't for general consumption.

And get your made up Cowboy stories straight. Parcells moved on. If you knew anything you would know that. That road went both ways and both men admitted it.

1. Few people are as gifted as JJ at forcing people to move on. He's got a way with people, that's for sure!

2. Nobody knows anything anyone does in privacy. All I know about McNair is what I've seen and heard from him... or, what others have said about him. The same goes with Jerry Jones or my best friend. McNair handles himself with class and shows respect to others while Jerry Jones does not. Time to break out my "why I love McNair" story.

In 2005, I was devastated by the Katrina aftermath. So, with my wife's blessing, I drove down from Austin to Houston to volunteer for a couple days after hearing that McNair had volunteered the use of the Astrodome for the evacuees. When I got there, the Astrodome was already at capacity and the Red Cross was getting organized. All those new Reliant facilities, with the exception of the stadium itself, was openned up to the Red Cross to use however they deemed. 1000s of people poored in, smelling of urine and sewage. At the same time, massive amounts of charitable items : food, clothing, etc.. were pooring in. Those people were cleaned, clothed, fed, and housed in the Reliant facilities for a good part of August. Then, the season started and I drove down for a game at the end of August. The place was totally trashed! This amazing facility that McNair spent most of his fortune to build only 4 years earlier, was a disaster.

I respect the heck out of the man for his generosity. Not many men in his position would've handled that situation like that. That was the day when I fell in love with the Houston Texan organization. For me, I'll root for guys like McNair and Kubiak through plenty of disappointing seasons. As for you Jerry Jones fans, your team better win every year, because there is nothing else in that organization to be proud of.

HoustonFrog
04-14-2010, 01:25 PM
I agree with the bolded for sure... amazing how video taped evidence has disappeared.. the Stealer nation has proven to be a bit corrupt :) Though I gotta say this for my wife/die-hard squeelers fan... she's none too happy with the thugs, and has as much said she'd prefer losing than to support a team with criminals on it... there may be hope for her as a Texans fan, at least she'll be able to support a team with class... oh they can't win, but dangit, they are nice guys :)

Unfortunately, and I've said this for years...there are alot of franchises out there with a few bad seeds. As far as the Steelers....people forget, and I read this today...they have dealt with a drunken Jeff Reed, Roethlisberger and Holmes(who had troubles following him predraft) and they also signed guys like Davenport as a RB...he who dumped in a woman's closet. So it isn't like some of these model franchises with familys like the Rooneys don't deal with theit share of issues.

StarStruck
04-14-2010, 01:34 PM
I find it funny that Dale and some others mention they liked the Cowboys when Jimmy was around. That is funny because you know how the Jimmy and Jerry problem came to a head.....Jimmy having drinks with people and making fun of Jerry about how he shouldn't get the credit. Now that is ironic.

I find it interesting that some of those that speak so highly of the Jimmy era weren't even shaving when he was the coach.

HoustonFrog
04-14-2010, 01:35 PM
1. Few people are as gifted as JJ at forcing people to move on. He's got a way with people, that's for sure!

2. Nobody knows anything anyone does in privacy. All I know about McNair is what I've seen and heard from him... or, what others have said about him. The same goes with Jerry Jones or my best friend. McNair handles himself with class and shows respect to others while Jerry Jones does not. Time to break out my "why I love McNair" story.

In 2005, I was devastated by the Katrina aftermath. So, with my wife's blessing, I drove down from Austin to Houston to volunteer for a couple days after hearing that McNair had volunteered the use of the Astrodome for the evacuees. When I got there, the Astrodome was already at capacity and the Red Cross was getting organized. All those new Reliant facilities, with the exception of the stadium itself, was openned up to the Red Cross to use however they deemed. 1000s of people poored in, smelling of urine and sewage. At the same time, massive amounts of charitable items : food, clothing, etc.. were pooring in. Those people were closed, fed, housed in the Reliant facilities for a good part of August. Then, the season started and I drove down for a game at the end of August. The place was totally trashed! This amazing facility that McNair spent most of his fortune to build only 4 years earlier, was a disaster.

I respect the heck out of the man for his generosity. Not many men in his position would've handled that situation like that. That was the day when I fell in love with the Houston Texan organization. For me, I'll root for guys like McNair and Kubiak through plenty of disappointing seasons. As for you Jerry Jones fans, your team better win every year, because there is nothing else in that organization to be proud of.

See Dale, this is why people think you can act like a putz and as someone who just baits despite the evidence. You have zero credibility despite what your own mind says. Every Cowboy fan here is far from a homer and we have had threads discussing Jerry's faults. The organization has alot to be proud of. There are just as many good guys on the Cowboys as there are on the Texans. I cheer for my team. I don't know if they will be sold one day or turn into a bottom feeder or whatever but I'll be a lifelong fan because I know I can't control what happens with them. You only chose to look at the negative, just like how you blindly look at the positive for the Texans.

Jerry, despite his downfalls, has done alot of good. A guy like McNair might not have a franchise if it weren't for Jerry. Jerry brought all the stadium rights deals to a head. He helped shape the NFL and the money the owners make, etc. through his Stadium deals early on. He has helped raise over $800 million for the Salvation Army over the last 8 years.....here you can read the rest on all the awards for charitable causes he has won. But I doubt you will because that wouldn't fit your "I'm an ex-Cowboy fan even though I was 7 when I claim to remember his evil deeds" persona and your evil empire b.s. Alot of owners do good deeds.

BTW, I have a brother that works directly for him and he couldn't say enough nice things about how they are treated and how well run that place is. He rewards his employees greatly and has been a good man to my bro.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team_executive_jerry_jones.cfm

The Joneses received the Evangeline Booth Award in 1999, one of the Army's highest national community service awards and have been selected for membership into the prestigious Salvation Army William Booth Society. Gene and Jerry were also named to the Army's National Advisory Board in April of 1998 shortly after being named the organization's Partners of the Year in 1997. For 10 years, Gene and Jerry Jones served as hosts and underwrote the costs for the Super Lunch, a fundraising event for The Salvation Army Irving Corps Community Center. In 1998, the Gene and Jerry Jones Family Center for Children opened in conjunction with The Army.

As part of the Jones Family and the Dallas Cowboys commitment to Arlington, Texas, the future home of the club's new stadium, the Gene and Jerry Jones Family Charities will donate $16.5 million to youth sports in Arlington over the next 33 years.

In 2001, the Joneses were awarded the Chairman's Award by The Boys and Girls Clubs of America. In June of 2002, Gene and Jerry Jones were recognized as the recipients of the Children's Champion Award for Philanthropy that was presented by the Dallas for Children organization. In 2003, the Family Gateway organization of Dallas presented Gene and Jerry with the Annette G. Strauss Humanitarian Award. In April of 2005, Gene and Jerry were recipients of the Hope Award, the highest community service recognition awarded by the Lone Star Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. The Jones family is very involved with several other community-related organizations, including Children's Medical Center of Dallas, Happy Hill Farm Academy/Home, the National Board for The Boys and Girls Clubs of America, the Kent Waldrep Paralysis Foundation, The Rise School of Dallas and The Family Place.

HoustonFrog
04-14-2010, 01:37 PM
I find it interesting that some of those that speak so highly of the Jimmy era weren't even shaving when he was the coach.

Exactly....and skip the transgression I spoke of.:cool:

FirstTexansFan
04-14-2010, 01:41 PM

I was thirty when Jimmy took over at Dallas.. so yeah..you're right, I wasn't shaving at that time :)

http://www.godblessedtexas.com/images/beard.jpg

StarStruck
04-14-2010, 01:47 PM
I was thirty when Jimmy took over at Dallas.. so yeah..you're right, I wasn't shaving at that time :)

All I can say is that you age well.

dalemurphy
04-14-2010, 01:51 PM
See Dale, this is why people think you can act like a putz and as someone who just baits despite the evidence. You have zero credibility despite what your own mind says. Every Cowboy fan here is far from a homer and we have had threads discussing Jerry's faults. The organization has alot to be proud of. There are just as many good guys on the Cowboys as there are on the Texans. I cheer for my team. I don't know if they will be sold one day or turn into a bottom feeder or whatever but I'll be a lifelong fan because I know I can't control what happens with them. You only chose to look at the negative, just like how you blindly look at the positive for the Texans.

Jerry, despite his downfalls, has done alot of good. A guy like McNair might not have a franchise if it weren't for Jerry. Jerry brought all the stadium rights deals to a head. He helped shape the NFL and the money the owners make, etc. through his Stadium deals early on. He has helped raise over $800 million for the Salvation Army over the last 8 years.....here you can read the rest on all the awards for charitable causes he has won. But I doubt you will because that wouldn't fit your "I'm an ex-Cowboy fan even though I was 7 when I claim to remember his evil deeds" persona and your evil empire b.s. Alot of owners do good deeds.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team_executive_jerry_jones.cfm

Jerry is a very successful business man and has done a lot of things to grow the NFL. I wouldn't argue that. I also wouldn't argue that Jerry Jones is pure evil and has never done anything good. I don't think that about anybody. Of course, as people, we all do some good and some evil. Of course! But, I'm no different than you are in that you judge people and determine if there values/attributes/actions are worthy of your respect and admiration, worthy of your time, or if they are people that you do not respect and do not want to associate with. If you have friends, then clearly you make these kinds of judgements.

I know that my perspective on this issue, even among Texan fans, is unpopular. Because, the truth is that I would drop the Texans like a bad habit if the organization became something I did not respect or want to contribute to. Since I've been a season ticket holder for all 8 seasons, I doubt I would be able to immediately sever my ties to the team, but I would eventually. The players would eventually all leave and the new organization would be the only constant. Supposedly, I am supposed to feel some sort of connection with the city of Houston but I simply don't have those feelings about cities and/or states.

* For the record, I was 22 when I stopped being a Cowboy fan. It was after the Superbowl victory against Pittsburgh. I got no joy out of the victory, other than being happy for some of the players on the team. I knew then that I simply couldn't root for them anymore.

eriadoc
04-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Hoenstly, I think his two strongest coaches...Jimmy and Parcells...knew how to push Jerry's buttons and they did as much damage as Jerry.

Or maybe he needs to pull his damn buttons back into the owners office and stop trying to meddle in their jobs.

GlassHalfFull
04-14-2010, 02:00 PM
My theory is that if casual sports fans outside of a city know the name of the owner of the city's team, it is an indicator of a bad owner.

WWJD
04-14-2010, 02:01 PM

Ok..now I know where ZZ Top got their look from.

Double Barrel
04-14-2010, 02:05 PM
****Breaking News!!!*****

Bob McNair, while celebrating record profits, had a sip of bubbly champagne and was overheard saying the following gossip: "the cookies are not soft enough and the milk is too warm"

Stay tuned for more devastating rumors about our beloved owner!

:D

WWJD
04-14-2010, 02:08 PM

Bob McNair, while celebrating record profits, had a sip of bubbly champagne and was overheard saying the following gossip: "the cookies are not soft enough and the milk is too warm"

:lol:

StarStruck
04-14-2010, 02:11 PM

Oh no! Real champagne instead of sparkling cidar. How dare he insult Mrs. Fields.

HoustonFrog
04-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Jerry is a very successful business man and has done a lot of things to grow the NFL. I wouldn't argue that. I also wouldn't argue that Jerry Jones is pure evil and has never done anything good. I don't think that about anybody. Of course, as people, we all do some good and some evil. Of course! But, I'm no different than you are in that you judge people and determine if there values/attributes/actions are worthy of your respect and admiration, worthy of your time, or if they are people that you do not respect and do not want to associate with. If you have friends, then clearly you make these kinds of judgements.

I know that my perspective on this issue, even among Texan fans, is unpopular. Because, the truth is that I would drop the Texans like a bad habit if the organization became something I did not respect or want to contribute to. Since I've been a season ticket holder for all 8 seasons, I doubt I would be able to immediately sever my ties to the team, but I would eventually. The players would eventually all leave and the new organization would be the only constant. Supposedly, I am supposed to feel some sort of connection with the city of Houston but I simply don't have those feelings about cities and/or states.

* For the record, I was 22 when I stopped being a Cowboy fan. It was after the Superbowl victory against Pittsburgh. I got no joy out of the victory, other than being happy for some of the players on the team. I knew then that I simply couldn't root for them anymore.

See, I'll rep this to show you some good will.

You didn't make a mass statement about how all of us think and you basically explained how you think as a fan. I respect that if you look at fandom that way. I just don't. I know Jerry can be a knucklehead. I know some players won't be choir boys. I know there will be ups and downs. But I'll stick with it. We all have stories on the bad and good in people. I guess my theory is that the NFL is like society and while there is a large majorty that are good people there are bad seeds. There are also good people with different personalities and how they work. Just one big microcosm. I can't control who is where but I am consistent in my team because I know most of them are good people. I can actually see where the Bengals owner comes from sometimes. I don't think he likes bad people. I think he is a softie that thinks people can change and he can help them. You may work at a corporation where the head man isn't the best guy but your division boss and others are great people. Doesn't make it a crap corporation because of the head guy.

Anyways....I like this post because you didn't tell me or others that we didn't get it because we cheer for them.

My theory is that if casual sports fans outside of a city know the name of the owner of the city's team, it is an indicator of a bad owner.

Don't think so since I think most would know the Rooneys, Krafts, Jones, etc.

dalemurphy
04-14-2010, 02:32 PM
See, I'll rep this to show you some good will.

You didn't make a mass statement about how all of us think and you basically explained how you think as a fan. I respect that if you look at fandom that way. I just don't. I know Jerry can be a knucklehead. I know some players won't be choir boys. I know there will be ups and downs. But I'll stick with it. We all have stories on the bad and good in people. I guess my theory is that the NFL is like society and while there is a large majorty that are good people there are bad seeds. There are also good people with different personalities and how they work. Just one big microcosm. I can't control who is where but I am consistent in my team because I know most of them are good people. I can actually see where the Bengals owner comes from sometimes. I don't think he likes bad people. I think he is a softie that thinks people can change and he can help them. You may work at a corporation where the head man isn't the best guy but your division boss and others are great people. Doesn't make it a crap corporation because of the head guy.

Anyways....I like this post because you didn't tell me or others that we didn't get it because we cheer for them.

Don't think so since I think most would know the Rooneys, Krafts, Jones, etc.

I get passionate talking about Jerry Jones because I don't hate the Cowboys like most Texan fans do. I wasn't raised in Houston and developed jealousy because of their success and attention, etc... Or, simply due to an interstate rivalry.

I'm a jilted lover! I was a passionate Cowboy fan for about 20 years and then I wasn't. While I guess it was a decision I made, it didn't feel that way. And, I blame Jerry Jones for it. I'm thrilled to be a Texan fan and glad the way things worked out. But, from 1996 until 2001, I was basically wandering the wilderness. I was a huge football fan without a team to root for. Those years were very painful and all the fantasy football leaues in the world couldn't make the pain go away. :voodoo:

StarStruck
04-14-2010, 02:47 PM

I know of the following without any negative publicity: Arthur Blank, Jerry Richardson, one of the Hunt's, Bob Kraft, Tom Benson, Dan Rooney, Paul Allen, Malcolm Glazer, Dan Snyder. I know that there has been negative publicity about Bud Adams and Al Davis.

Based on the names above, there are only two that I know as a fan could possibly be considered bad owners. The others are names that I've heard enough over the years to remember.

StarStruck
04-14-2010, 02:48 PM
I get passionate talking about Jerry Jones because I don't hate the Cowboys like most Texan fans do. I wasn't raised in Houston and developed jealousy because of their success and attention, etc... Or, simply due to an interstate rivalry.

I'm a jilted lover! I was a passionate Cowboy fan for about 20 years and then I wasn't. While I guess it was a decision I made, it didn't feel that way. And, I blame Jerry Jones for it. I'm thrilled to be a Texan fan and glad the way things worked out. But, from 1996 until 2001, I was basically wandering the wilderness. I was a huge football fan without a team to root for. Those years were very painful and all the fantasy football leaues in the world couldn't make the pain go away. :voodoo:

But you were only 16 then. That's what teens do.

GlassHalfFull
04-14-2010, 03:00 PM
I know of the following without any negative publicity: Arthur Blank, Jerry Richardson, one of the Hunt's, Bob Kraft, Tom Benson, Dan Rooney, Paul Allen, Malcolm Glazer, Dan Snyder. I know that there has been negative publicity about Bud Adams and Al Davis.

Based on the names above, there are only two that I know as a fan could possibly be considered bad owners. The others are names that I've heard enough over the years to remember.

That is why I was careful to say casual sports fan. Not many on this board qualify.

WWJD
04-14-2010, 03:12 PM

There was some trouble between NO and Tom Benson at one time. Had something to do with him taking the Saints elsewhere unless they got the stadium thing fixed. I just remember the state was po'd at him or vice versa.

BigBull17
04-14-2010, 04:23 PM

If you read anything over the years you would see that most of us here aren't the homer you are and we actually criticize Jerry quite often and hold his feet to the fire.

Not to butt in too much, but thats because McNair doesn't get lit and cut people a new ahole while being filmed. Just saying.

CloakNNNdagger
04-14-2010, 06:09 PM
The NFL has announced that they would not pursue action on Jone's recent actions.

HoustonFrog
04-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Not to butt in too much, but thats because McNair doesn't get lit and cut people a new ahole while being filmed. Just saying.

Not to bump this but the bolded is the problem here. McNair may get lit and cut people a new ahole. He just doesn't get secretly filmed. It's not like Jerry did this in a TV interview. Semantics, I know.

IDEXAN
04-15-2010, 08:29 AM
Not to bump this but the bolded is the problem here. McNair may get lit and cut people a new ahole. He just doesn't get secretly filmed. It's not like Jerry did this in a TV interview. Semantics, I know.
And no matter what McNairs behavior is and his treatment of employees (present & past) are, he dosen't get "secretly filmed" because I seriously doubt that he's out in the bars, trying to keep up with the young bucks who'd be half his age, while making a slob out of himself in public because he can't handle the booze.

dalemurphy
04-15-2010, 08:32 AM

But, everyone already knew that Jerry Jones behaves this way. If Bob McNair went around town, getting drunk at local bars, we would know about it... even if it wasn't on video. That wasn't Jerry Jones in a private setting with one or two of his closest friends. He was drunk in a public bar, speaking loudly. I promise you that I would not be criticizing Jerry Jones if he had been illegally videotaped having a conversation with Stephen Jones and another person in his inner-circle.

HoustonFrog
04-15-2010, 08:43 AM
But, everyone already knew that Jerry Jones behaves this way. If Bob McNair went around town, getting drunk at local bars, we would know about it... even if it wasn't on video. That wasn't Jerry Jones in a private setting with one or two of his closest friends. He was drunk in a public bar, speaking loudly. I promise you that I would not be criticizing Jerry Jones if he had been illegally videotaped having a conversation with Stephen Jones and another person in his inner-circle.

Again, from what I know about Jerry he had a sauce problem long ago but allegedly rarely does this anymore. I'm not going to start condemning people for getting their drink on and talking. I don't care if it is a loud bar and he is talking out loud. I think video taping it is douchey. He and Parcells actually talk alot. You can't gleam meaning in the conversation(was he talking crap about a friend, was he serious, was he just babbling drunk) I mean there are pics of Jimmy out there with his beers and partying.(look at drunkathletes.com) As I said, Jimmy and Jerrys deal came to a head because of Jimmy talking too much over drinks and Jerry firing back. I didn't want to start the assessment again, just correct the one poster that acted like Jerry decided to videotape himself mouthing off. Here is a exactly what I think..I think the lines are blurred. When I hear stories of the old Yankess of Mantle and Billy Martin carousing it sounds "colorful" coming from old weathered newspaper guys. People actually take this as news now though. If this happened to me or any owner or player on any team I'd be offended by the videotaping of it.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/041510dnspocowlishaw.3d4409b.html

HOU-TEX
04-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Who cares really? We all, including most cowboys fans, know JJ is a bumbling bunghole so why argue about it? Meh :rolleyes:

NitroGSXR
04-15-2010, 09:16 AM
HoustonFrog likes cowboys.

HOU-TEX
04-15-2010, 09:19 AM

Yeah, it has something to do with dudes in chaps. :shrug:

Texan_Bill
04-15-2010, 09:48 AM

Dang you're old. I was only 21 or 22 when Jimmy took over....

:user: I was shaving however.

HoustonFrog
04-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Yeah, it has something to do with dudes in chaps. :shrug:

With tassels!

Texan_Bill
04-15-2010, 09:54 AM

Probably because he (Bob) is not a dumbass to put himself in situations where he can be filmed...... Just like we preach to players about putting themselves in bad situations, same can be said for owners, or anyone in the limelight for that matter...

Was it a douche thing for that guy to film Jerrah? Of course it was a douche move. Was Jerrah a douche for putting himself in a situation where his douche.baggery could be exposed? Absolutely....

dalemurphy
04-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Again, from what I know about Jerry he had a sauce problem long ago but allegedly rarely does this anymore. I'm not going to start condemning people for getting their drink on and talking. I don't care if it is a loud bar and he is talking out loud. I think video taping it is douchey. He and Parcells actually talk alot. You can't gleam meaning in the conversation(was he talking crap about a friend, was he serious, was he just babbling drunk) I mean there are pics of Jimmy out there with his beers and partying.(look at drunkathletes.com) As I said, Jimmy and Jerrys deal came to a head because of Jimmy talking too much over drinks and Jerry firing back. I didn't want to start the assessment again, just correct the one poster that acted like Jerry decided to videotape himself mouthing off. Here is a exactly what I think..I think the lines are blurred. When I hear stories of the old Yankess of Mantle and Billy Martin carousing it sounds "colorful" coming from old weathered newspaper guys. People actually take this as news now though. If this happened to me or any owner or player on any team I'd be offended by the videotaping of it.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/041510dnspocowlishaw.3d4409b.html

Yes, most Cowboy fans are offended by the videotaping, because it is embarrassing to root for and continually defend this guy.

My point is that Jerry had no expectation of privacy. He was in a public bar, full of people, speaking loudly to relative strangers. That is what I am critical of. I am not criticizing him for saying these things on tape but for saying them in a bar.

I agree with you that it is ethically questionable to videotape a person without their knowledge. If you want to condemn the videotaper, that's fine. However, it doesn't change the fact that Jerry Jones was making an azz of himself in a public bar.

HoustonFrog
04-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Yes, most Cowboy fans are offended by the videotaping, because it is embarrassing to root for and continually defend this guy.

My point is that Jerry had no expectation of privacy. He was in a public bar, full of people, speaking loudly to relative strangers. That is what I am critical of. I am not criticizing him for saying these things on tape but for saying them in a bar.

I agree with you that it is ethically questionable to videotape a person without their knowledge. If you want to condemn the videotaper, that's fine. However, it doesn't change the fact that Jerry Jones was making an azz of himself in a public bar.

I'm not really sure how this subject can be covered in depth and talked about yesterday with a comfortable understanding and then the same stuff is dredged up again today?Note to self...don't bump a thread to make one statement that really wasn't an argument.

AGAIN, not one that is a Cowboy fan here defends this guy all the time. I really wish you'd stop doing that. It becomes annoying...almost like you don't read posts. And most here find many things about the team to cheer for, including Jerry. Or was that Bizzarro Dale that stepped in to be reasonable yesterday?I think you just like to argue in circles. Maybe you practice in the mirror.

Secondly, I don't think this was a big deal. People on national sites I've seen are laughing at this as a non-factor. This is one of the only places that is taking it to him this hard. But that is expected because people can't get Cowboys out of their head. Sorry I'm seeing some hypocrites in here. What did he do so bad besides act drunk? He and Parcells are friends. They talk weekly. He called him out by throwing out some b.s. comments. No one knows in what context he was talking to these guys. They were all laughing. He didn't say anything bad about Tebow. It is a non-story. I'm not defending the guy, I'm just not being a hypocrite since everyone in this thread had had a beer and talked shit. That is basically what you are calling douchey.

As for the context of it...read what Parcells said

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/04/bill-parcells-not-upset-with-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-over-mocking-comments/1

Dolphins boss Bill Parcells said he is not angry with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones for the unflattering comments the latter made about him.

Jones said in comments that emerged in a video on Deadspin that he only hired Parcells, the Dallas coach from 2003-2006, to help build new Cowboys Stadium.

Parcells, in comments to the Bergen Record, said of Jones:

"I know how he really feels about me."

He went on:

"We still have a good one. I think he was just pulling some guy's leg. I'm not upset with it at all. He didn't mean it."

Jones also mocked Florida QB prospect Tim Tebow, who has not yet spoken about the remarks. -- Sean Leahy

I find it funny that these stories get so much traction here.

NitroGSXR
04-15-2010, 10:23 AM

I wasn't drunk when I said this. I must've taken douche-baggery up a whole 'nother level.

Seriously, drinking does not excuse his comments. If I was talked to like that by my boss, he's getting a beer bottle across the skull. Just because everyone talks shit doesn't excuse it, drunk or not but I get what you're saying...

Jerry Jones is Jerry Jones. He just got caught being Jerry Jones. Again. That is a fact.

HoustonFrog
04-15-2010, 10:32 AM
I wasn't drunk when I said this. I must've taken douche-baggery up a whole 'nother level.

Seriously, drinking does not excuse his comments. If I was talked to like that by my boss, he's getting a beer bottle across the skull. Just because everyone talks shit doesn't excuse it, drunk or not but I get what you're saying...

Jerry Jones is Jerry Jones. He just got caught being Jerry Jones. Again. That is a fact.

Truthfully, with my friends, I would have taken what he said like Parcells did, like someone talking crap as a joke. I mean we joke with each other about being fat, drunk, old, stupid, etc all the time. I just didn't see the serious beat down that others are seeing. Not because he is the Cowboys owner, but because I don't think I would take any athlete/celeb/media person saying this seriously. His stupid moment was being mouthy like Jerry can be with the wrong people. Alot of outlets refused to show this because they found it to be unnewsworthy. Many media people who blast the guy are actually offended at how this works these days.

Texan_Bill
04-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Truthfully, with my friends, I would have taken what he said like Parcells did, like someone talking crap as a joke. I mean we joke with each other about being fat, drunk, old, stupid, etc all the time. I just didn't see the serious beat down that others are seeing. Not because he is the Cowboys owner, but because I don't think I would take any athlete/celeb/media person saying this seriously. His stupid moment was being mouthy like Jerry can be with the wrong people. Alot of outlets refused to show this because they found it to be unnewsworthy. Many media people who blast the guy are actually offended at how this works these days.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. :lol:

StarStruck
04-15-2010, 10:38 AM
I choose to not be more offended about the comment than Parcells himself.

The comment did bring back some memories of "life of the party drunks" and some of the funny stuff they say. I missed most of a concert once listening to a drunk man's assessment of many issues, and was in tears trying to retain some type of composure instead of a loud belly laugh. We both were of the opinion that group had seen their better days.

Aye, the guy isn't worth a s-word, but I love em. True, it isn't politically correct, but to me is was funny. Then cap it off with his southern drawl. What I don't like is a hostile drunk who wants to fight and everything becomes a confrontation.

NitroGSXR
04-15-2010, 10:56 AM

The comment did bring back some memories of "life of the party drunks" and some of the funny stuff they say. I missed most of a concert once listening to a drunk man's assessment of many issues, and was in tears trying to retain some type of composure instead of a loud belly laugh. We both were of the opinion that group had seen their better days.

Aye, the guy isn't worth a s-word, but I love em. True, it isn't politically correct, but to me is was funny. Then cap it off with his southern drawl. What I don't like is a hostile drunk who wants to fight and everything becomes a confrontation.

Drunk people talking shit isn't confrontational? I gotcha.

NitroGSXR
04-15-2010, 11:01 AM

HoustonFrog
04-15-2010, 11:02 AM

When the person who it was about says it is a non-factor and that he and Jerry are tight, then I usually believe them. Especially when that person is a curmudgeon who usually lashes out at people.

GP
04-15-2010, 11:32 AM
When the person who it was about says it is a non-factor and that he and Jerry are tight, then I usually believe them. Especially when that person is a curmudgeon who usually lashes out at people.

Or maybe Parcells feels extremely SORRY for Jerry Jones.

Sometimes, you really do shake your head and let things go because you know the person is a self-destructive dimwit. To get upset about it would be uncivilized.

Some people, like Jerry Jones, let their success go to their head. They use it as cover for acting like a jerk. Anderson Silva comes to mind. And the antithesis of that would be Georges St. Pierre.

As far as Jimmy Johnson goes, they wouldn't have done crap without the mega-trade with Minnesota. THAT, and the hit on Aikman as their QB and Smith as their RB, and Irvin as their WR, is what made the 'Boys relevent again. Ever since the steady decline and eventual demise of that roster and coach, the 'Boys have not hit on anything substantial. And Romo is not a miracle. He's an apparition.

This is me being a Texans fan, doing a little bit of rivalry smack talk. Nothing personal. Just business. :texflag:

WWJD
04-15-2010, 11:37 AM

Sometimes, you really do shake your head and let things go because you know the person is a self-destructive dimwit. To get upset about it would be uncivilized.

Some people, like Jerry Jones, let their success go to their head. They use it as cover for acting like a jerk. Anderson Silva comes to mind. And the antithesis of that would be Georges St. Pierre.

As far as Jimmy Johnson goes, they wouldn't have done crap without the mega-trade with Minnesota. THAT, and the hit on Aikman as their QB and Smith as their RB, and Irvin as their WR, is what made the 'Boys relevent again. Ever since the steady decline and eventual demise of that roster and coach, the 'Boys have not hit on anything substantial.

This is me being a Texans fan, doing a little bit of rivalry smack talk. Nothing personal. Just business. :texflag:

Randy Galloway who is the beat writer for the Star Telegram and has his own radio show in Dallas said yesterday that Bill and Jerry are good friends and talk weekly; that most weeks they talk 2 or 3 times a week. I kind of doubt he feels sorry for Jerry...I don't think too many people make Bill do anything.

I'd say Demarcus Ware is a "substantial" player. But that's just me.

BigBull17
04-15-2010, 11:40 AM

I agree with that. It was a little dbag to egg him on and film it. Still, as a person in the lime light, you have to be a little more careful.

NitroGSXR
04-15-2010, 11:40 AM

I see it as of Bill Parcells being the better man here.

Personally, nobody best talk shit about me in a drunken stupor behind my back. Not even me ma. I wouldn't like it too much and it sure would hurt my feelings. I'd get mad if I busted you or my friends doing that to me but I'm not Bill Parcells. He's a bigger person than I am. Or is it called professionalism?

GP
04-15-2010, 12:01 PM

Personally, nobody best talk shit about me in a drunken stupor behind my back. Not even me ma. I wouldn't like it too much and it sure would hurt my feelings. I'd get mad if I busted you or my friends doing that to me but I'm not Bill Parcells. He's a bigger person than I am. Or is it called professionalism?

Nah. You're thinking too rationally.

I have lots of "friends" who say things about me like what Jerry said about Bill.

Your "friends" will occasionally tell others that you aren't worth dookie. It's common sense. Natural.

When Jerry followed it up with "But I love the guy," he was just reflexing because he knew (even in his drunken condition) that he had to throw out the obligatory "But he's a great guy" comment. It voids the dergatory thing you just said about someone.

You gotta' love the people who offend others and then say "Man, I was only joking" when the other person gets mad about it. I assume Bill probably knows what he's dealing with and knows there's no use in getting mad about it.

Second Honeymoon
04-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Probably because he (Bob) is not a dumbass to put himself in situations where he can be filmed...... Just like we preach to players about putting themselves in bad situations, same can be said for owners, or anyone in the limelight for that matter...

Was it a douche thing for that guy to film Jerrah? Of course it was a douche move. Was Jerrah a douche for putting himself in a situation where his douche.baggery could be exposed? Absolutely....

i pretty much agree with that. personally, i dont think there was a whole lot wrong with what he said or with him being drunk. the problem i did have was him insinuating that he only hired Parcells to get the stadium built....as if he fleeced the tax paying public into approving his stadium and once it was done, he got rid of Parcells. That is a problem and its a big problem.

talk all the smack you want (and Parcells is an ahole and Tebow probably wont be worthy of a 3rd Round pick) but when you start talking about screwing over or misleading/manipulating the taxpaying public to build a billion dollar football shang-ri-la....then I have a problem.

never hated on jerry before for the most part, but that was a bad move to say he only hired Parcells to sell jerseys and to get his new stadium. bad move indeed.

as for the clandestine 'journalists'....screw them...they were egging an old man on and he took the bait...Jerry is to blame but those guys are total *********s....and I hope it was worth it because Jerry will get some comeuppance one way or another.

eriadoc
04-15-2010, 12:30 PM
This story really boils down to one thing:

It's altogether different if I stand in the stands and shoot other fans the double bird than when Dud Adams does it. It's altogether different when I get caught on camera phone talking crap about someone I used to employ than when Jerry Jones does it. Sorry folks, that's just the way it is. Public figures have people pay attention to them, so they have to watch how they act. Never mind that they ought to know better than to act that way in the first place, but people sometimes act like jackasses. If you're a public figure, lots of people are going to notice. That's life.

HoustonFrog
04-15-2010, 01:49 PM

As far as Jimmy Johnson goes, they wouldn't have done crap without the mega-trade with Minnesota. THAT, and the hit on Aikman as their QB and Smith as their RB, and Irvin as their WR, is what made the 'Boys relevent again. Ever since the steady decline and eventual demise of that roster and coach, the 'Boys have not hit on anything substantial. And Romo is not a miracle. He's an apparition.

I'm too tired to wage the war and I've already laid out their draft picks over the last 5 years or so that have been good. But this article from awhile back says alot of the generalities about it

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/021010dnspojonesitem.1006cf921.html

True or false? Jerry Jones is the Cowboys' problem

05:00 PM CST on Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The DMN's Jean-Jacques Taylor writes ...

I really do get amazed that I still get these over-the-top stances on Jerry, even after all of these years.

I understand Jerry isn't perfect, but you can't give him all of the blame and none of the credit. It's silly.

Jerry stepped aside and let Bill Parcells run virtually every aspect of the franchise for four years, so don't tell me he won't hire a strong football guy or that a strong head coach won't work for him.

This team is poised to be a championship contender next year, and it had nine players in the Pro Bowl, whether you think they all deserved it or not.

This team has talent. Jerry is the GM. How can you say he's had nothing but a negative impact on the team.

It's like Wade. Whether you agree with his approach or not, you have to admit he did a good job last year. It's the same with Jerry. Whether you like him or not, he has done a good job gathering talent as the GM.

dalemurphy
04-15-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm too tired to wage the war and I've already laid out their draft picks over the last 5 years or so that have been good. But this article from awhile back says alot of the generalities about it

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/021010dnspojonesitem.1006cf921.html

I agree that Jerry Jones is a gifted business man and has had periods of incredible success in the NFL. No doubt! Watch what happens the next 7 or 8 years as this team disintegrates into the abyss again... just like it did after he removed Jimmy and took control of the organization. That's what is so amazing about his ego. He's so arrogant that he will blow up his own successfully built organization because he insists on being the center of attention.

According to Jerry's own words, he hired Parcells to trick the Cowboy fans and the city of Dallas into investing into his new stadium. Well, he got it and now Parcells is gone and Jerry is back in control. Would you like to wager that this team is a steady loser again in 2-3 years?

HoustonFrog
04-15-2010, 02:48 PM
I agree that Jerry Jones is a gifted business man and has had periods of incredible success in the NFL. No doubt! Watch what happens the next 7 or 8 years as this team disintegrates into the abyss again... just like it did after he removed Jimmy and took control of the organization. That's what is so amazing about his ego. He's so arrogant that he will blow up his own successfully built organization because he insists on being the center of attention.

According to Jerry's own words, he hired Parcells to trick the Cowboy fans and the city of Dallas into investing into his new stadium. Well, he got it and now Parcells is gone and Jerry is back in control. Would you like to wager that this team is a steady loser again in 2-3 years?

He said this while drunk to "fans." Why would you tell your own fans that?As Parcells said, this wasn't serious. It was probably part of the plan but not serious. Dear Lord. He definitely felt pressure after hiring "Yes" men and he definitely needed to make splash but he didn't hire a coach not to win or just to trick people into financing his place.

As for Jerry and destroying the team. I'm not sure how you can jump to those conclusions. Parcells was gone in 2008 and they drafted Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins, Martellus Bennett, Tashard Choice and Orlando Scandrick. All young stud players who are contributing. My bro that works for them tells me that their head scouts are some of the business. More goes into it than Jerry. His son Stephen has a big say and he is the smart one. He isn't a great GM and has had some bad drafts in the late 90s. He has made bad decisions off and on throughout 20 years. But he also has made alot of hits too...the above draft and in coaching and personnel.

StarStruck
04-15-2010, 03:14 PM

One thing you can be sure, from the time you're born, someone is going to talk about you. Sometimes you hear about it, sometimes not. At some point you might get tired of busting those you hear about while giving the rest more to talk about.

Bill Parcells don't strike me as the fragile type, and it doesn't surprise me that he responded the way he did.

NitroGSXR
04-15-2010, 03:23 PM
One thing you can be sure, from the time you're born, someone is going to talk about you. Sometimes you hear about it, sometimes not. At some point you might get tired of busting those you hear about while giving the rest more to talk about.

Bill Parcells don't strike me as the fragile type, and it doesn't surprise me that he responded the way he did.

Was that a jib at me? Lol. I'll give you some rep for that. That was smooth.

dalemurphy
04-15-2010, 03:59 PM
He said this while drunk to "fans." Why would you tell your own fans that?As Parcells said, this wasn't serious. It was probably part of the plan but not serious. Dear Lord. He definitely felt pressure after hiring "Yes" men and he definitely needed to make splash but he didn't hire a coach not to win or just to trick people into financing his place.

As for Jerry and destroying the team. I'm not sure how you can jump to those conclusions. Parcells was gone in 2008 and they drafted Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins, Martellus Bennett, Tashard Choice and Orlando Scandrick. All young stud players who are contributing. My bro that works for them tells me that their head scouts are some of the business. More goes into it than Jerry. His son Stephen has a big say and he is the smart one. He isn't a great GM and has had some bad drafts in the late 90s. He has made bad decisions off and on throughout 20 years. But he also has made alot of hits too...the above draft and in coaching and personnel.

We're talking about the guy that forced T.O. down Parcells throat... then, traded a 1st and 3rd round pick for Roy Williams, right? and, the guy who traded up in the 2nd round to go get Quincy Carter (a junior who was coming out because he lost his starting job at Georgia). Also, the man who traded two 1st round picks for Joey Galloway... I think he traded a first round pick for Keyshaun also.

...those are the kinds of crippling decisions that he is a constant threat to make when he has control of the team. Regardless the quality of your scouts, those kinds of decisions accumulate on the team like cancer cells, killing off the healthy ones.

I'm sure the Cowboys do have some very good scouts. The issue is the direction he will take the team and the decisions he will make.

bckey
04-15-2010, 07:54 PM

Good post that I agree with.

IDEXAN
04-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Earlier Jones established what a jerk he can be (atleast when he's on the sauce), and with the comments I heard him make on ESPN today about how he was just kidding the other day in the barroom episode, he's now firmly established what a phony individual he can be.

IDEXAN
04-19-2010, 07:27 AM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tim Tebow was visiting another NFL city when he heard about Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones panning his skills during a secretly recorded conversation.

Tebow laughed it off.

"I really haven't even thought about it," he said. "I don't even take that as an offense. He's just having fun."
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=5106728
Unlike the classless Jones, young Tebow is as reported a classy young guy who just shrugged off the cheap-shots by the Cowboys jerk-owner.

dalemurphy
04-19-2010, 08:02 AM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tim Tebow was visiting another NFL city when he heard about Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones panning his skills during a secretly recorded conversation.

Tebow laughed it off.

"I really haven't even thought about it," he said. "I don't even take that as an offense. He's just having fun."
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=5106728
Unlike the classless Jones, young Tebow is as reported a classy young guy who just shrugged off the cheap-shots by the Cowboys jerk-owner.

Here is the most important question that has been overlooked:

How many beers would Rick Smith have to buy Jerry Jones before he unveiled the Cowboys' entire draft board?

steelbtexan
04-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Here is the most important question that has been overlooked:

How many beers would Rick Smith have to buy Jerry Jones before he unveiled the Cowboys' entire draft board?

Margaritas my friend

This is a whole lot of to do about nothing. IMHO

Jerry and BOB are friends imagine that. Somebody on the MB has a sig. about that. Show me a persons friends and I'll tell you who they are. Is what the sig says. it came from some writer I believe.

Goldensilence
04-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Eh. If Jerry was sneering the whole time like skeletor during the comments then I'd take them as serious. Didn't seem that way though.

Only thing that continues to bother me is when people question if Tim Tebow is going to make it as an NFL QB they get slammed. It's like you publicly kicked a kitten or punched a small kid in the face.

Can he? I don't know. I know for sure that Time Tebow has a long road to travel to be a starting NFL QB though.

NitroGSXR
04-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Margaritas my friend

This is a whole lot of to do about nothing. IMHO

Jerry and BOB are friends imagine that. Somebody on the MB has a sig. about that. Show me a persons friends and I'll tell you who they are. Is what the sig says. it came from some writer I believe.

I'm friends with a lot of people that I don't like. It's called professionalism. McNair is a an absolute stud at this.

WWJD
04-19-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm friends with a lot of people that I don't like. It's called professionalism. McNair is a an absolute stud at this.

Huh? How can one be "friends" with somebody that they don't like..you got me on that one. I think Bob and Jerry are friends but obviously my definition of a friend is different.

Actually from all I've ever read or heard most people like Jerry when they meet him. He's friendly to everybody and he'll sit and talk to anybody. Obviously.

HoustonFrog
04-19-2010, 10:28 AM

I cited an article here a few years back. They consider each other friends and not just professionally. Jerry pushed for McNair to get a team and they are hand and hand on alot of issues regarding owners and how the NFL is run. They may do things differently but that doesn't mean there isn't respect and friendship.

Huh? How can one be "friends" with somebody that they don't like..you got me on that one. I think Bob and Jerry are friends but obviously my definition of a friend is different.

Actually from all I've ever read or heard most people like Jerry when they meet him. He's friendly to everybody and he'll sit and talk to anybody. Obviously.

Travis Rodgers (old producer of Jim Romes radio show) was on 1560 the other day. He said the crappiest part of the story was that Jerry wasn't being a big shot and trying to not hang with these guys. He didn't have security around him. He wasn't standoffish. He was the opposite of what many owners or even players can be....he was accomodating. And these guys just ran to TMZ afterward. He said he thought it was bush league. He even said that no one is thinking Jerry said anything that even makes a difference. He is just shooting the sheet.

JB
04-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Much Ado about Nothing!

Texan_Bill
04-19-2010, 10:40 AM

"Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer"... :thinking:

NitroGSXR
04-19-2010, 10:45 AM
I cited an article here a few years back. They consider each other friends and not just professionally. Jerry pushed for McNair to get a team and they are hand and hand on alot of issues regarding owners and how the NFL is run. They may do things differently but that doesn't mean there isn't respect and friendship.

Travis Rodgers (old producer of Jim Romes radio show) was on 1560 the other day. He said the crappiest part of the story was that Jerry wasn't being a big shot and trying to not hang with these guys. He didn't have security around him. He wasn't standoffish. He was the opposite of what many owners or even players can be....he was accomodating. And these guys just ran to TMZ afterward. He said he thought it was bush league. He even said that no one is thinking Jerry said anything that even makes a difference. He is just shooting the sheet.

I'd be doing my hardest to be Jerry Jones, Al Davis, and even Bud Adams's friend if I knew i'd be trying to enter the business world of the NFL. TexanBill just said it best in the post above.

WWJD
04-19-2010, 11:10 AM
I don't believe they're "friendly" because of the whole keep your enemies close thing but to each his own. I think they're friendly cause they want to be but that's just me. Don't know either man. Just going by what I've read and heard.

HoustonFrog
04-19-2010, 11:11 AM
I'd be doing my hardest to be Jerry Jones, Al Davis, and even Bud Adams's friend if I knew i'd be trying to enter the business world of the NFL. TexanBill just said it best in the post above.

I don't feel like searching for the article on here...its been 2 years...but the gist had nothing to do with just doing it for pure business. But if it makes you sleep better at night....

HoustonFrog
04-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Here I found it

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/stories/101506cptexanslede.375c214.html

Jones has also gained a friend and another big-market ally in NFL circles. Jones said McNair was "one of the top four to five owners" the moment he stepped into the league. He values McNair's integrity and commitment and took a boat trip with him this summer.

"He fires me up," Jones said.

"We're good friends," McNair said. "We work on a lot of things together that are league matters, and we're usually on the same side of the fence.

"As this has gone forward and we've gotten to know each other well, I'd say there is a high level of trust. We talk about a lot of things that are important to each of us and are helpful to each other."

StarStruck
04-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Think of it as if they weren't friends, and if Jerry had used whatever power he had to convince other owners that Texas did not need another franchise. Then we wouldn't be friends.

Second Honeymoon
04-19-2010, 12:30 PM
We're talking about the guy that forced T.O. down Parcells throat... then, traded a 1st and 3rd round pick for Roy Williams, right? and, the guy who traded up in the 2nd round to go get Quincy Carter (a junior who was coming out because he lost his starting job at Georgia). Also, the man who traded two 1st round picks for Joey Galloway... I think he traded a first round pick for Keyshaun also.

...those are the kinds of crippling decisions that he is a constant threat to make when he has control of the team. Regardless the quality of your scouts, those kinds of decisions accumulate on the team like cancer cells, killing off the healthy ones.

I'm sure the Cowboys do have some very good scouts. The issue is the direction he will take the team and the decisions he will make.

I'm pretty supportive of JJ but he has made some bad moves during his post-Switzer era aka triplet dynasty

the Roy deal was almost as bad as the Galloway deal

Second Honeymoon
04-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Mcnair and JJ are friends and business partners. Face it, JJ had a hand in us getting a team.

Mcnair probably looks up to JJ in a lot of ways
they have a friendly 'rivalry' like when McNair said that the Cowboys were trying to catch up to the texans with the Cowboys new stadium

once again, let me out those phonecam losers as total *********s for making the video viral. Totallylame

dalemurphy
04-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Mcnair and JJ are friends and business partners. Face it, JJ had a hand in us getting a team.

Mcnair probably looks up to JJ in a lot of ways
they have a friendly 'rivalry' like when McNair said that the Cowboys were trying to catch up to the texans with the Cowboys new stadium

once again, let me out those phonecam losers as total *********s for making the video viral. Totallylame

Look, I'm not their proponent. But, let's not act like his privacy was invaded. He was being loud in a public setting. He's accountable for what he said and how he behaved. I know I've done/said things publicly that were embarrassing, but I'm responsible for them. This is a thread about Jerry Jones. If the guy with the phonecam owned an NFL team then I might be more interested in discussing him.

Second Honeymoon
04-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Look, I'm not their proponent. But, let's not act like his privacy was invaded. He was being loud in a public setting. He's accountable for what he said and how he behaved. I know I've done/said things publicly that were embarrassing, but I'm responsible for them. This is a thread about Jerry Jones. If the guy with the phonecam owned an NFL team then I might be more interested in discussing him.

Them filming it shows that they were setting him up
I just feel it's disrespectful of someone's privacy in filming it without his knowledge. JJ was the dumbass but they were the a$$holes

WWJD
04-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Jerry has come out and said he will still be a public person but he will be more careful with what he says.

Like I said Jerry will talk to anybody. Anywhere. He's not standoffish in any way. And with that mouth it bites him in the behind sometimes.

He has a big mouth and he likes being heard. I guess he just never thought about people filming him with their cellphone.

dalemurphy
04-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Jerry has come out and said he will still be a public person but he will be more careful with what he says.

Like I said Jerry will talk to anybody. Anywhere. He's not standoffish in any way. And with that mouth it bites him in the behind sometimes.

He has a big mouth and he likes being heard. I guess he just never thought about people filming him with their cellphone.

I'm done railing against Jerry for now. But, you all miss the point. He was in a public setting, speaking loudly where strangers can hear. Why does it matter if it was videotaped? That was him behaving that way in front of strangers in a public setting. The only the different is that he doesn't have deniability because their is a recording of it.

If he was in his office, at home, or at a friend's house and someone taped him then that would be another story all together. Or, even if we was having dinner with a couple friends and speaking in a normal voice but someone next to him leaned in and caught some of the private conversation. But, that's not what happened.

HoustonFrog
04-19-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm done railing against Jerry for now. But, you all miss the point. He was in a public setting, speaking loudly where strangers can hear. Why does it matter if it was videotaped? That was him behaving that way in front of strangers in a public setting. The only the different is that he doesn't have deniability because their is a recording of it.

If he was in his office, at home, or at a friend's house and someone taped him then that would be another story all together. Or, even if we was having dinner with a couple friends and speaking in a normal voice but someone next to him leaned in and caught some of the private conversation. But, that's not what happened.

The point of the taping is it was done after the guy gave them the time of day. It's not like he had to have a drink and shoot the sheet with them. To me, and as I heard Travis Rodgers say, it was an abuse of goodwill. He decided to joke around and have some fun with these guys and they ran within a day to sell the stuff. I also don't get the difference between your bar and restaurant set up. Both are public places where people can hear you. You'd hope no one was taping you whereever you were. Just an ahole move overall whether he was loud at a bar or not. As many have also said and I said at the beginning, this already is 3rd page news and was a non-story. He was loud and he explained it, no one took offense that was talked about and overall I just thought these guys took a fun type situation and turned it ugly.

StarStruck
04-19-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm getting mixed information. We those who did the taping at Jerry's table or bar, and encouraged the conversation, or sitting close enough to overhear the conversation. Either way doesn't change my opinion, just curious. On second thought, it does because I don't appreciate eavesdroppers, but those who entrap is worse IMO.

WWJD
04-19-2010, 02:06 PM

No point missed. He said he would be more careful. Some people on here think it's wrong to tape others without their knowledge no matter the place or circumstance. It seems to bother some more than the actual people Jerry spoke of. That's kind of puzzling but oh well!

dalemurphy
04-19-2010, 02:17 PM
No point missed. He said he would be more careful. Some people on here think it's wrong to tape others without their knowledge no matter the place or circumstance. It seems to bother some more than the actual people Jerry spoke of. That's kind of puzzling but oh well!

There are a lot of mobsters that appreciate your perspective on this issue!

dalemurphy
04-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Them filming it shows that they were setting him up
I just feel it's disrespectful of someone's privacy in filming it without his knowledge. JJ was the dumbass but they were the a$$holes

Jerry Jones was setup by a couple frat boys? Well, I'm sure that's encouraging for Cowboy fans as they look to the future of their organization.

HoustonFrog
04-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Again, another writer with the same mindset...Peter King

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/18/mmqb/3.html

9. I think it is not news -- or shouldn't be -- when Jerry Jones, apparently tipsy, talks to a cellphone-toter who doesn't say he's going to publicize the Jones video. It wouldn't be for me. Now, many of you have Tweeted me or e-mailed to say, "What about the reporting of Jerry at the league meetings years ago when he was into the wine and talked about 500 coaches being able to do the job Jimmy Johnson did?''

Here's the difference between this week's story and the 16-year-old story that led to the Jones-Johnson divorce: Rick Gosselin and Ed Werder, two of the reporters who heard Jones through the firewater that night at the league meetings in Orlando in 1994, didn't report anything immediately. Rather, they went to see Jones the next morning at 9 to quiz him on the record about what he'd said, and Jones said it was all fair game. Sorry. I wasn't taught in journalism school to ambush-quote newsmakers after midnight, and after four glasses of wine. And if that's the way the business is going, I'll find something else to do, thanks.