PDA

View Full Version : I was really happy to read this quote!

JB
04-12-2010, 02:47 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6953281.html
Even though it was in McClain's column, even he can write a direct quote ok.

“I think we have to continue to be more physical as a group, and on offense it starts with running the ball,” Kubiak said. “Not being physical enough as an offense late in some games — staying on the field — cost us a few games.

“You should be able to line up and run the ball and hit somebody in the mouth and get a yard to win a game. If you continuously run away from something like that, you're never going to be better at it. I think it hurt us that we didn't have the confidence we could run the ball.”

Bolded comments are huge imo.

El Tejano
04-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Yeah, it does kind of feel good to know that Kubiak feels like I do when it comes to getting one yard. At least he's saying it out loud for the team to hear. Don't know if it will make us better but feels good to read that he's trying to do something about it.

badboy
04-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah, but he and Smith identified priority need for Texans two years ago as a RB and we went out and signed two UDFAs, so I don't read much into that statement.

TexCanada
04-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Admitting there is a problem is half the battle. Even if they try to fix it but fail in doing so, at least they will have gotten past the arrogance that has allowed them to have Chris Brown trying to fight for yards behind Chris Myers.

Yankee_In_TX
04-12-2010, 03:48 PM
“I think it hurt us that we didn't have the playcalling or personnel we needed so we could run the ball.”

Fixed it.

Jackie Chiles
04-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Yeah, but he and Smith identified priority need for Texans two years ago as a RB and we went out and signed two UDFAs, so I don't read much into that statement.

I think his comments are more about making the team as a whole more physical, not necessarily targeting one position. This process started last year in the draft with guys like Cushing, Caldwell, Quin and Anthony Hill. Obviously we are still soft at a lot of spots but I hope and believe they will continue to build on what they started last year.

JB
04-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I think his comments are more about making the team as a whole more physical, not necessarily targeting one position. This process started last year in the draft with guys like Cushing, Caldwell, Quin and Anthony Hill. Obviously we are still soft at a lot of spots but I hope and believe they will continue to build on what they started last year.

Thank you! That is why I posted the quote. There has been some bashing about the Texans being too soft (which they have) and that it is because Kubiak wanted a finesse offense ( which is not true). I would really like to see the Texans become much more physical on offense especially.

This team is pretty close, and a little bit of attitude can go a long way.

:fans:

badboy
04-12-2010, 04:14 PM
I think his comments are more about making the team as a whole more physical, not necessarily targeting one position. This process started last year in the draft with guys like Cushing, Caldwell, Quin and Anthony Hill. Obviously we are still soft at a lot of spots but I hope and believe they will continue to build on what they started last year."and on offense it is about running the ball..." pretty specific.

badboy
04-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Thank you! That is why I posted the quote. There has been some bashing about the Texans being too soft (which they have) and that it is because Kubiak wanted a finesse offense ( which is not true). I would really like to see the Texans become much more physical on offense especially.

This team is pretty close, and a little bit of attitude can go a long way.

:fans:Seems like I am being argumentative but Kubiac chose the ZBS which he knew in Denver that utilizes smaller "finesse" type Olinemen. How is that not true? The only offensive guy I am aware of that was a physical type was Charles Spencer. We have exactly what Kubes and Smith wanted.

JB
04-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Seems like I am being argumentative but Kubiac chose the ZBS which he knew in Denver that utilizes smaller "finesse" type Olinemen. How is that not true? The only offensive guy I am aware of that was a physical type was Charles Spencer. We have exactly what Kubes and Smith wanted.

Just because we play ZBS primarily, does not mean not playing with toughness and physicality. Look at Denvers OL when they won 2 SB's. Mucdh smaller than average OL, that opposing defense's hated because they played with a mean streak.

Our OL is about the same size as most, but seemed to play a lot smaller. Other than Studdard, our line and RB's played like nice guys.

eriadoc
04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Admitting it is nice, but really, if he lines it up to make one yard and they continually don't get it, at some point he has to try something different. Everyone calls for his head either way. It doesn't matter what play he calls. The only way he keeps his job going forward is if the players he selected get that one yard.

m5kwatts
04-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Has Dennison already had an influence on coach?

drs23
04-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Gary said it constantly last season. He was perturbed about it in several of the interviews I watched. It's nothing new but perhaps Dennison feels differently, stronger about it than Gibbs did.

Rey
04-12-2010, 06:29 PM
I definitely think we need a better stable of RB's, but IMHO it is the o-lines fault if we can't get yards late in games...

It's one thing to run the ball on first and ten in the middle of the second quater vs. running the ball to waste the clock when the other team knows thats what you want to do...

CloakNNNdagger
04-12-2010, 06:53 PM
“I think it hurt us that we didn't have the playcalling or personnel we needed so we could run the ball.”

Fixed it.

Creative coaches will always find a way to get that all important one yard.

Remember "The Fridge?" He wasn't even an RB.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/159280/perrydm2510_468x533_medium.jpg

RUNNING BACK FRIDGE VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVNtLwcXjG8)

Second Honeymoon
04-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Well for someone so aware of the problem they sure as he'll haven't done much to fix it. They added a Guard but that wasn't the problem
I am looking at you Myers

JB
04-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Well for someone so aware of the problem they sure as he'll haven't done much to fix it. They added a Guard but that wasn't the problem

I think they may plan on Smith playing Center

awtysst
04-12-2010, 07:34 PM

I think they may plan on Smith playing Center

I think it will be a bit tough to put both Myers and Smith on the same oline. So, my thinking is that Smith comes in at Center and is flanked by Caldwell and Brisel with Winston and Brown at the OTs. I think we will draft another combo OG/OC and he will be depth/trying to beat out Smith or Briesel.

Wolf6151
04-12-2010, 07:50 PM
I agree with several of the previous posters. Acknowledgement is nice but doing something about it is a different story, I'll believe it when I see it. Also signing one journeyman backup OG (Wade Smith) doesn't qualify as doing something about the problem. Also controlling the LOS and getting that 1 yd. is more about the O-line than it is the RB, if you don't control the LOS then you can't control the game. The quote sounds to me like Kubiak is making the O-line a priority this offseason which I hope he does but again I'll believe it when I see it.

JB
04-12-2010, 07:53 PM
I agree with several of the previous posters. Acknowledgement is nice but doing something about it is a different story, I'll believe it when I see it. Also signing one journeyman backup OG (Wade Smith) doesn't qualify as doing something about the problem. Also controlling the LOS and getting that 1 yd. is more about the O-line than it is the RB, if you don't control the LOS then you can't control the game. The quote sounds to me like Kubiak is making the O-line a priority this offseason which I hope he does but again I'll believe it when I see it.

I think it is a combindation of both. If your OL cannot get a push on 3rd & 1, the running back has to find a way to get that one yard. Our problem this past year was that the OL could get no push, and the RB's had no power.

CloakNNNdagger
04-12-2010, 08:04 PM

Bet you if Chris Brown would have only given Myers one good hard kick in the ass, he would have helped him with that one yard into the end zone.

Carr Bombed
04-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Umm he said something like that during the season, so this isn't the first time he's said something like that.

Problem is, every time we go into a year with Myers as the starting center he isn't doing anything about it. It's nice to say "we should be able to get that yard", but when you can't consistently do it and aren't doing anything about it, well then all you're doing is talking and beating your head against the wall, trying to do something that your current personnel can't do.

If Kubiak stuck with the running game, Houston wouldn't have been 9-7 last year and if he wants to be that kind of running team then he needs to make the moves to be that kind of running team (getting better upfront) instead of just talking about running the ball. Talking isn't going to do anything....upgrade the positions that will allow us to become a good running team.

Insideop
04-12-2010, 08:11 PM
“I think we have to continue to be more physical as a group, and on offense it starts with running the ball,” Kubiak said. “Not being physical enough as an offense late in some games — staying on the field — cost us a few games.

“You should be able to line up and run the ball and hit somebody in the mouth and get a yard to win a game. If you continuously run away from something like that, you're never going to be better at it. I think it hurt us that we didn't have the confidence we could run the ball.”

The RB that comes to mind in this draft when I read these quotes is Gerhart. I saw a few of his games last year on tv and he fits this kind of tough physical running. Not sure about the other RB's in this draft.

Jackie Chiles
04-12-2010, 09:50 PM
"and on offense it is about running the ball..." pretty specific.

Fairly specific but running the ball isn't all on the RB. Iupati or Pouncey would upgrade our toughness just as much as Mathews(who I also love). If the value isn't there on offense getting another hard-nosed defender with an attitude works as well.

gary
04-12-2010, 10:05 PM
The talk is nice and all but its up to the players to walk the walk.