PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Lions.... in hindsight?

thunderkyss
04-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Looking back on the season, do you believe Matthew Stafford should have been the #1 overall pick?

Did you believe that was the right pick for Detroit last year?

Do you believe they could have done better?

Remember, they had Kitna, who signed to be a backup in Dallas. I doubt it would have taken much to keep him as the starter in Detroit.

They also had Drew Stanton, they got him just two years earlier in the Second round.

They only won two games in 2009, how much worse could it have been, if they went with Kitna & Stanton for 2010?

WWJD
04-09-2010, 07:40 PM
I think he was the right pick for them.

Hervoyel
04-09-2010, 09:22 PM
I think that one year isn't enough time to say whether he was the right pick for them or not. I don't think that he made that much of a difference for them last year and that they probably should have waited a bit longer to get a QB (much like the Texans should have waited to get a QB and taken Peppers over Carr, or at the very least sat Carr and let Banks play a year or two) but if Stafford goes on to a HOF career then that goes out the window.

We'll just have to wait and see but I build other parts of my team before I grab a QB and the 2008 Lions were more or less starting from scratch IMO. QB isn't the last part I try to find (that's RB) but it's not the way I begin building a football team.

Maddict5
04-09-2010, 09:28 PM
so they might have won a game or 2 more with an old qb. so what? at least with a possible franchise qb they have hope. its a long rebuild in store for detroit. the early returns on stafford are decent

Kulluminatii
04-09-2010, 11:11 PM
I think Stafford has the potential to be a great NFL QB provided Detroit builds around him. They are probably really tempted to take Suh with that #2 pick, but I think it would be better if they draft Okung to protect their franchise QB. They have made a ton of moves this offseason, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they managed to win 6-7 games this year.

thunderkyss
04-09-2010, 11:22 PM
so they might have won a game or 2 more with an old qb. so what? at least with a possible franchise qb they have hope. its a long rebuild in store for detroit. the early returns on stafford are decent

So you think the Lions are on the right track? You think they've got a foundation in place to build upon?

For the record, I'm not saying they would have won any more games with another QB.

Second Honeymoon
04-09-2010, 11:24 PM
I think Stafford has the potential to be a great NFL QB provided Detroit builds around him. They are probably really tempted to take Suh with that #2 pick, but I think it would be better if they draft Okung to protect their franchise QB. They have made a ton of moves this offseason, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they managed to win 6-7 games this year.

that is a really tough division up there in the NFC North. If Favre comes back for the Vikings, you are talking about a division where every team has their franchise QB. It's rare for a division to be that complete at the QB position.

If you want to talk about Detroit Lions hindsight, what about Charles Rogers over Andre Johnson. Let's just say that didn't work out too well for them. Probably the worst decision ever. I like Millen a lot, especially his time as a hall of fame caliber player, but he really screwed the pooch in Detroit as a GM.

Kulluminatii
04-09-2010, 11:37 PM
that is a really tough division up there in the NFC North. If Favre comes back for the Vikings, you are talking about a division where every team has their franchise QB. It's rare for a division to be that complete at the QB position.

If you want to talk about Detroit Lions hindsight, what about Charles Rogers over Andre Johnson. Let's just say that didn't work out too well for them. Probably the worst decision ever. I like Millen a lot, especially his time as a hall of fame caliber player, but he really screwed the pooch in Detroit as a GM.

I doubt the Lions will win the division, but I do believe they will end up 3rd in the division, ahead of the Bears. Cutler has always been overrated (IMO), but maybe that is just my hate for the former Bronco showing :shades:.

I totally agree with you, Millen really set the Lions back a few years, a horrible choice for GM. Still, I believe the Lions will recover from the Millen era a lot quicker than people expect. They did really well in the draft last year, and I expect them to do even better in this year's draft. Give 'em three years, I'm sure they will be gunning for a wild card spot in that time :whistle:.

thunderkyss
04-09-2010, 11:44 PM
They have made a ton of moves this offseason, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they managed to win 6-7 games this year.

What moves do you speak of?

beerlover
04-10-2010, 12:25 AM
I've read the Lions want to trade out of the #2 pick just like they wanted to trade the #1 pick last year. Seems like an extended rough stretch for the poor guys, can't catch a break. I do know one thing for sure if they don't improve protection packages for Stafford they'll just keep on picking near the top awhile longer :rake:

Kulluminatii
04-10-2010, 12:50 AM
What moves do you speak of?

DE Kyle Vanden Bosch
WR Nate Burleson
G Rob Sims
DT Corey Williams
LB Ashlee Palmer
CB Wade
CB Houston
QB Shaun Hill
DE Jason Hunter
LB Landon Johnson
S Marquand Manuel
CB Dante Wesley

are the ones I could find quickly from the Lions' website, probably missing one or two other players. I'm not saying the players above will help them reach the Superbowl or anything, hell, half of them may be cut before the season starts...but they are making progress. Who knows, they may find a few stars from the leftovers they picked up from other teams.

wagonhed
04-10-2010, 02:33 AM
Of all the teams that won 5 or less games last year, I like the Lions the most to turn around. I think they are moving in the right direction and I won't be surprised if they approach .500 this year and make the playoffs in 2011.

houstonspartan
04-10-2010, 03:54 AM
Of all the teams that won 5 or less games last year, I like the Lions the most to turn around. I think they are moving in the right direction and I won't be surprised if they approach .500 this year and make the playoffs in 2011.

I wouldn't go THAT far.

I'm from that part of the world, and am rooting for them to turn it around. The fans up there deserve it. I, personally, wouldn't have chosen a qb because they need so many other things. But I'll say this: They sure as hell have the right coach.

I really, really, really like Jim Schwartz. A lot.

Kulluminatii
04-10-2010, 04:05 AM
Well, they would have had to get a QB eventually, and I think they lucked out with Stafford. He showed glimpses of greatness throughout the season, and if Sanchez and Stafford were switched, I could see the Jets doing better with him.

If they didn't get Stafford, then they would be choosing from this years' batch of QBs...who IMO don't look all that great. They probably would have had to wait an additional year for Locker & Mallet, and who knows how they will end up. Since they already have their franchise QB, they can now focus on building a team around him...which I believe is much easier than trying to build a team and then getting a franchise QB.

Maddict5
04-10-2010, 06:15 AM
So you think the Lions are on the right track? You think they've got a foundation in place to build upon?

For the record, I'm not saying they would have won any more games with another QB.

ya i think they're getting better and they've the opportunity to take a big jump because they have so many decent young guys- stafford, kevin smith, calvin, pettigrew,delmas, avril mixed with solid older guyslike KVB, foote backus & raiola. they have alotof holes still but they add another 2/3 starters at least in the draft including an elite guy like suh (i see them going DT- imo backus is a decent LT)

btw who would you have them take instead of stafford? last yrs top 10 has been a bit of a crapfest so far

thunderkyss
04-10-2010, 10:22 AM

What direction are they moving? Can you list any specifics?

thunderkyss
04-10-2010, 10:31 AM
They sure as hell have the right coach.

I really, really, really like Jim Schwartz. A lot.

What do you like about Schwartz? How is he different than Moeller, Mornhinweg, Mariucci, Jauron, or Marinelli, ?

I liked Jauron by the way.

thunderkyss
04-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Well, they would have had to get a QB eventually, and I think they lucked out with Stafford. He showed glimpses of greatness throughout the season, and if Sanchez and Stafford were switched, I could see the Jets doing better with him.

If they didn't get Stafford, then they would be choosing from this years' batch of QBs...who IMO don't look all that great. .

I'll agree Stafford had some games that impressed me.

I don't watch college football, so all I ever get is the buzz. I don't believe there was any more buzz about Stafford last year, than there is about the QBs coming out this year.

Are you saying, based on what you saw of Stafford's college career, that he played at a whole other level than Bradford, McCoy, & Clausen.

Kaiser Toro
04-10-2010, 10:43 AM
I am not sold on Stafford managing an NFL offense just yet, they still have a lot to iron out on the offense.

http://thesportsunion.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/matt-stafford-boobs.jpg

I would love hindsight in this instance, but foresight will have to suffice.

infantrycak
04-10-2010, 10:47 AM
I would love hindsight in this instance, but foresight will have to suffice.

Foresight or hindsight says the girl in the middle is well built.

ChampionTexan
04-10-2010, 10:52 AM

No doubt.

Also, since he's making Millions, you'd think that Stafford would be willing to cough up more than 98 cents for a pair of sunglasses.

Kaiser Toro
04-10-2010, 10:54 AM

I just love that picture. One of the brilliant things, IMO, is the flag placement as it absolves any wrong doing.

thunderkyss
04-10-2010, 11:04 AM
ya i think they're getting better and they've the opportunity to take a big jump because they have so many decent young guys- stafford, kevin smith, calvin, pettigrew,delmas, avril mixed with solid older guyslike KVB, foote backus & raiola. they have alotof holes still but they add another 2/3 starters at least in the draft including an elite guy like suh (i see them going DT- imo backus is a decent LT)

btw who would you have them take instead of stafford? last yrs top 10 has been a bit of a crapfest so far

Smith, Johnson, and Stafford...

IMHO, the clock is ticking (just like ours, with AJ).. I'm seriously not seeing the improvement in the trenches, and I think they are hurting themselves.

It has only been one year, & I'm taking that into consideration.

My point has always been that they already had Stanton, the fans wanted to see Stanton play, and they could have got that LT (Jason Smith) who is just as hard to find as a franchise QB.

If Stafford is truly a franchise QB, I think they made the right decision. If he turns out to be a Joey Harrington, David Carr, Ryan Leaf... I think they hurt themselves.

Seems like everyone is giving them the "standard" 4 years, year one is in the books, so we'll see.

wagonhed
04-10-2010, 12:40 PM
I tell you what, regardless of how Stafford turns out, I will ALWAYS be heavily rooting for the guy after seeing that video of him mic'd up during the game he got injured in. You can't coach heart.

drewmar74
04-10-2010, 01:08 PM
No doubt.

Also, since he's making Millions, you'd think that Stafford would be willing to cough up more than 98 cents for a pair of sunglasses.

Those look like the pieces of crap that you give little kids as party favors.

Although, that may be part of his game. Wear the retarded shades, and if the women still come on to you - they're only after you for the money. If they see you bust those out and they walk away, then they're probably not after you for the money - they just think you're a dork and are rightfully walking away. They could be great "skeezer detectors."

I tell you what, regardless of how Stafford turns out, I will ALWAYS be heavily rooting for the guy after seeing that video of him mic'd up during the game he got injured in. You can't coach heart.

Darn right. Kid wanted to go back in something fierce. That was awesome. I remember it when it happened, but I think it was ESPN that did an hour long show on Stafford, Cushing, and Percy Harvin's rookie season. I got fired up watching Cushing stick people, but Stafford's portions were equally compelling. If I'm a Lions fan, I'm encouraged by what I saw.

steelbtexan
04-10-2010, 01:42 PM
The Lions are headed in the right direction.

If they draft Suh (Schwartz is a defensive guy) they will probaly take a LT in the 2nd. (Saffold or whoever falls) then they will work on the DB's and RB's.

With what they've done in FA and if they draft well. (in this years deep draft) I could see them winning 6-7 games.

I believe Stafford is a franchise level QB with great taste in co-eds. All of those girls were hot!!!!! IMHO

houstonspartan
04-10-2010, 02:43 PM
What do you like about Schwartz? How is he different than Moeller, Mornhinweg, Mariucci, Jauron, or Marinelli, ?

I liked Jauron by the way.

I think the reason I like Schwartz is because he's defensive-minded, and no nonsense. He's not flashy. He doesn't do the quirky press conferences, he doesn't have funny things to say. He just does his job, and focuses on defense.

Part of the Lions problems have been they've always drafted for flash. They've always gone for the flashy reciever or RB. That has a lot to do with Matt Millen being the worst GM in the history of mankind. Millen is gone.

I wasn't on board with the Stafford pick because I thought it was too obvious and a flash move. But, then again, they do have to get people excited about SOMETHING up there. So, I dealt with it. And, as others have said, Stafford is showing a hell of a lot of competitive spirit and heart, something that can't be coached. Having heart is half the battle (cough, David Carr, cough).

Now, Schwartz can get down to doing what he's good at: Building the trenches.

TheRealJoker
04-10-2010, 05:02 PM
If Suh is at 2 you take him. The defensive minded HC needs his franchise DT to make his brand of football work. IMO, its better for the TEAM to take BPA in this instance.

Second Honeymoon
04-10-2010, 08:23 PM

i think the Lions will be improved and Schwartz looks like he has the Lions ownership's faith and pocketbook. However, I don't think it will show too much in the W-L column. They had a good draft and did a decent job in being more competitive under Schwartz last year, but I still think they are a work in progress and nowhere near competing for even .500.

They are a few good drafts away from turning the corner. Maybe 2012 they are ready to make some noise as long as Stafford pans out. He has probably the 3rd best receiver in the league behind Andre and Fitzgerald to throw to in Charles Johnson, so the ball is in his court. He's from Texas so I am a bit biased towards Stafford.

Second Honeymoon
04-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Seems like everyone is giving them the "standard" 4 years, year one is in the books, so we'll see.

yeah, its the nature of the game nowadays. if your a top pick at QB, you are going to be given every chance to succeed. just look at Alex Smith in San Francisco. he has pretty much been given the starters job because they couldn't afford to let him walk and admit failure. sound familiar?

any top pick now gets every chance even when they haven't shown diddly (see Carr, Russell, Harrington, Smith) and the one team that stood up and bucked the trend of coddling their QB, Arizona (Leinart), goes to the Super Bowl and starts making the playoffs.

b0ng
04-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Anybody who doesn't like Matt Stafford after watching this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVEN74CAHqk) doesn't like manly men who sweat old spice. (The good stuff starts at 3:30)

TheRealJoker
04-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Anybody who doesn't like Matt Stafford after watching this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVEN74CAHqk) doesn't like manly men who sweat old spice. (The good stuff starts at 3:30)

Reminds me of the time when HWSNBN led us to a win over the Falcons with a bum shoulder...

Ole Miss Texan
04-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Peyton Manning went 3-13 his rookie year. What I'm trying to say is that the best quarterback in the NFL... arguably in the history of the league couldn't turn a TERRIBLE team around in one year. Would the Lions have liked to win more the 2 games last season? Of course, but they didn't draft Stafford for the '09 season, they drafted him to be their Franchise QB. Whether that happens or not, we've yet to see but I think it was the correct selection.

Blake
04-16-2010, 04:51 PM

God Bless America.