PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis Rams

thunderkyss
04-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Why were they so bad in 2009?

Texan4Ever
04-10-2010, 02:23 PM
The Rams defense was one problem, another issue they have is on offense. They have no legit go-to WR and their offensive line gave up too many sacks and failed to protect their quarterback.

There are however some bright spots on the team. I fully expect Jason Smith to take over the left tackle spot (if the HC moves him there, dunno why he's playing right tackle), they have James Laurenitis a stud MLB, and a defensive minded head coach.

Still got a long way to go....

Ryan
04-10-2010, 02:30 PM
They're my favorite NFC team. They have some good things in place, but it might take a few years for them to be respectable again.

brakos82
04-10-2010, 02:39 PM
The Rams defense was one problem, another issue they have is on offense.

Thanks Madden. :kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
04-10-2010, 02:43 PM
The Rams defense was one problem, another issue they have is on offense. They have no legit go-to WR and their offensive line gave up too many sacks and failed to protect their quarterback.

There are however some bright spots on the team. I fully expect Jason Smith to take over the left tackle spot (if the HC moves him there, dunno why he's playing right tackle), they have James Laurenitis a stud MLB, and a defensive minded head coach.

Still got a long way to go....

Because Smith has had injury problems, most notably a concussion for which he was out for the last 6 weeks of last season, and because of this Barron (LT) will probably need to be kept. Three million dollars this year isn't going to sit well for Barron to play a 2nd fiddle LT backup role, waiting to see if Smith can, first handle the position, and second avoid a major zinger for a full season.

BSofA04
04-11-2010, 11:45 PM
They had some issues along the offensive line, which got Bulger hurt and thus resulted in the offense being run (literally) through Jackson. Richie Incognito had an episode last season when the Rams played the tacks and drew two 15-yard personal fouls. To make matters worse, he got into a verbal dispute with head coach Spagnuolo which lead to him being released.

stingray
04-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Simply put.. Bad drafting.

1st round picks

2005- Alex Barron OT-Bust
2006- Tye Hill CB-Decent Pick
2007- Adam Carriker DT-Bust
2008- Chris Long DE-Soon to be bust
2009- Jason Smith OT Jury still out

Texan4Ever
04-12-2010, 12:30 AM

1st round picks

2006- Tye Hill CB-Bust, not even on the team anymore
2008- Chris Long DE - Jury still out
2009- Jason Smith OT - Jury still out

This is what I think of there recent picks

Hooston Texan
04-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Why were they so bad in 2009?

Basically for the same reason the Astros are going to be so awful in 2010: (1) a failure to face reality and begin rebuilding left them with an aging, rapidly-declining team coupled with (2) some miserable recent drafting.

There is absolutely no reason for the Rams to have kept Steven Jackson the last couple of seasons. They went 3-29 the last two years with him. They should have turned him into draft picks and young players. They hoped that he could single-handedly make them competitive, but there is just too much awfulness for him to prop up.

Having the local team give up on the short term in favor of the future is no fun, but the Rams and Astros are case studies in what happens if you don't.

JB
04-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Basically for the same reason the Astros are going to be so awful in 2010: (1) a failure to face reality and begin rebuilding left them with an aging, rapidly-declining team coupled with (2) some miserable recent drafting.

There is absolutely no reason for the Rams to have kept Steven Jackson the last couple of seasons. They went 3-29 the last two years with him. They should have turned him into draft picks and young players. They hoped that he could single-handedly make them competitive, but there is just too much awfulness for him to prop up.

Having the local team give up on the short term in favor of the future is no fun, but the Rams and Astros are case studies in what happens if you don't.

This is very well said! Just shows to go ya, you cant rest on past laurels, or old players.

Blake
04-13-2010, 04:10 PM

1st round picks

2006- Tye Hill CB-Decent Pick
2008- Chris Long DE-Soon to be bust
2009- Jason Smith OT Jury still out

Tye Hill? He was traded for a 7th round pick a year ago. I think he is with the Tacks on a 1 year deal.

stingray
04-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Tye Hill? He was traded for a 7th round pick a year ago. I think he is with the Tacks on a 1 year deal.

I watch many of the Rams games, 20 year fan of the Rams before the Texans. No he wasn't great but he played well the first couple years. He had three int's his first year and then became injury prone.

beerlover
04-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Sam Bardford
Maurkice Pouncey
Jonathan Dwyer
Rob Gronkowskie

....should help for starters

kastofsna
04-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Barron has been a starter since he was drafted. Carriker has been injured a ton. maybe a "bust" in the most literal sense, but hardly a sign of bad drafting. and Tye Hill had a decent rookie season, that's it.