PDA

View Full Version : DeMeco Ryans to join Cushing in MMA training

TEXANS84
04-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Sounds to me like we may have the most physical core of linebackers in the NFL.
Now if Glazer can get #90 out there as well....that would be great.

As we pointed out last month, Texans linebacker Brian Cushing has been spending part of the offseason pushing and hugging and sweating on the likes of Jay Glazer, Chuck Liddell, and Randy Couture.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that one of Cushing's defensive teammates will be joining the effort.

Glazer says that Ryans, who recently signed a $48 million contract with $21 million guaranteed, is on his way. Glazer also has targeted a third Houston defender for the program.

"There's another Texan I'd love to get out here, Mario Williams," Glazer told McClain. "He's got as much talent as anybody in the NFL. He's so naturally gifted that I know this workout regime would help him. If Mario came here, he'd push himself to levels he doesn't know he has."

More and more players are turning to Glazer for offseason training. "We preach controlled violence," Glazer said. "There's a lot of hand fighting, chopping. If you know what you're doing, your forearms can be like blades. We teach where the nerves are, how you can chop somebody, find the nerve and hyperextend an elbow."

Why are we suddenly reminded of the scenes in The Longest Yard when the players learn about the potential benefits of plaster casts and brass knuckles?

LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/09/demeco-ryans-will-celebrate-his-new-deal-with-a-little-mma/)

CloakNNNdagger
04-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Sounds to me like we may have the most physical core of linebackers in the NFL.
Now if Glazer can get #90 out there as well....that would be great.

LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/09/demeco-ryans-will-celebrate-his-new-deal-with-a-little-mma/)

We haven't been told anything of Mario's shoulder situation. Without a solid shoulder status, such training may not be effective......and, worse yet, potentially harmful. Besides that, I like the concept.

BIG TORO
04-09-2010, 09:21 AM
I wonder how many nfl players do this type of training, and with it being in Cincy I wonder how many of the bengals do it.

No More 8-8's
04-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Meh.......DeMeco and Cushing are already good. I wouldnt mind if the Ringo Starr of our LB corps (Zac Diles) stepped up his game.

BullNation4Life
04-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Meh.......DeMeco and Cushing are already good. I wouldnt mind if the Ringo Starr of our LB corps (Zac Diles) stepped up his game.

you mean George Harrison of the LB corps, people actually know who Ringo is...

Ole Miss Texan
04-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Awesome, I think this training translates so well for defensive football players. Particularly Mario at DE, this would be huge. Not only would he be better of not letting LT's get their hands on him, but when their hands/arms get 'slapped' out of the way it's going to hurt. Think about 4 quarters of a stronger more physical Mario Williams with higher stamina hitting you, your arm, etc out of the way. If nothing else happens, what this type of training does is refine your instincts and reaction time. Super good for the front 7!

GP
04-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Remember when Cushing sacked a QB in the end zone? I can't remember who the QB was.

Cushing wrapped him up, then Cushing used a leg to reach around and sweep the QB's legs out from underneath him. It secured the QB to the point that he couldn't throw the ball. It nailed the door shut and got him the sack. With emphasis added onto it.

That was, essentially, a type of Judo throw you'll see guys use in MMA fights.

I have no doubt that it was his MMA training that led him to do that sort of move.

TEXANS84
04-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Remember when Cushing sacked a QB in the end zone? I can't remember who the QB was.

Fargas, RB Oakland.

Big Lou
04-09-2010, 11:10 AM

HEY!!!!

George made a couple of his own records, and sold a couple of hundred copies. You be nice!!!!!

infantrycak
04-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Fargas, RB Oakland.

Yup - Link (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009100402/2009/REG4/raiders@texans#tab:watch)

Check out Schaub 10 yards down field blocking for SS. It's ugly but he was trying.

Ckw
04-09-2010, 11:30 AM
I am loving this. I might be getting ahead of myself, but Cushing just might be the best draft pick we have ever had if he continues to influence our guys in this direction. I can't see anything but good (except for injuries of course) coming from training like this. It can help our guys get quicker, stronger, and better able to beat the crap out of the opposing team. Say goodbye to the "finesse" label.

TimeKiller
04-09-2010, 11:52 AM
I have no doubt that it was his MMA training that led him to do that sort of move.

I have no doubt that happened before he started MMA training this offseason. That was just a beast beasting it up.

SheTexan
04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Thank GAWD!! Maybe we'll finally see a mean steak that we have been lacking!! I hope PM is sitting in his ivory castle thinking "OH SHIT" I'm in bigtime trouble now!! Put the FEAR in every O we play this year!!

Section516
04-09-2010, 12:00 PM
You know something?

Imagine if Cushing ignites Mario with 1/2 of the intesity/passion/I AM A PSYCHO AND I AM HERE TO MAKE YOU FEEL PAIN attitude.

BigBull17
04-09-2010, 12:11 PM
I like it. MMA is all about cardio, flexability, toughness, footwork, and use of hands. I would also love to see Mario doo some.

wagonhed
04-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Guys. Let's not get too carried away with this. There are benefits to doing lots of MMA work, but there are also downsides. We shouldn't be too quick to assume that this is some incredible workout that just blows away traditional workouts.

Here are some examples:

Leg strength is probably the biggest one. MMA training can potentially give you foot quickness, but at the cost of leg strength and power. How many MMA fighters have you seen with football player legs?

Cardio. The kind of cardio you get in MMA is not the same kind you use in football, necessarily. In wrestling, you're working a combination of fast and slow twitch fibers, and there is lots of creatine/aerobic phase muscle use. In football, it's almost completely fast twitch and ATP phase muscle use. So while MMA can certainly improve cardiovascular endurance specifically, the kind of muscle endurance it gives is not necessarily the kind football players want or need.

Upper body strength. MMA can definitely give you quickness and power in your arms, but that can come at the expense of strength. Especially for top-tier athletes like Cushing, Meco, Williams, you just can't gain a ton of quickness without losing strength. A lot of the upper body bulk and sheer force you need in the NFL, esp. at DE and MLB for powering through blocks or making tackles, is just extra unneeded bulk in MMA.

So those are just some things off the top of my head. I'm not saying this training is bad, by any means. I'm just saying we shouldn't be so quick to assume it is way better than any other training they could be doing, or that it doesn't have strong disadvantages as well as advantages.

The Pencil Neck
04-09-2010, 01:22 PM
In addition to his MMA training, Cushing trains with a PL oriented strength coach and has since HS. So he's going to be getting lots of leg strength training.

Ole Miss Texan
04-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Re: Wagonhed

You've got some good points there. But the key is that they're not training to be MMA fighters so I doubt they're going through the full regimen a normal "trainee" would. They're football players that are training in certain MMA techniques that can be of use or beneficial to them on the field. They're not going to detract from any strengths they need to "fit" the MMA style just add/change in positive ways that helps on the field. That's at least my assumption/hope!

m5kwatts
04-09-2010, 02:46 PM

He's been at the actual facility all offseason so I wouldn't worry about Zac

Double Barrel
04-09-2010, 02:48 PM
I am loving this. I might be getting ahead of myself, but Cushing just might be the best draft pick we have ever had if he continues to influence our guys in this direction. I can't see anything but good (except for injuries of course) coming from training like this. It can help our guys get quicker, stronger, and better able to beat the crap out of the opposing team. Say goodbye to the "finesse" label.

I like your thinking, but Cush has a loooooong way to go if he's to take the 'best draft pick' title from AJ.

AJ is light years ahead of anyone else on this team.

Second Honeymoon
04-09-2010, 03:12 PM

don't diss George. he was probably the best musician of the bunch and wrote more of the great songs than people realize.

ringo was scrubtacular but george was genius....but your right in that a lot of people know who Ringo is because of the name and because of his film 'career' and subsequent gravy training of his bandmates talent.

Grid
04-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Can you imagine cushing pulling some of these off on the field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXfxVEaXW0 :aikido:

Hope we dont get a bunch of unnecessary roughness penalties :texflag:

ChampionTexan
04-09-2010, 03:17 PM
don't diss George. he was probably the best musician of the bunch and wrote more of the great songs than people realize.

ringo was scrubtacular but george was genius....but your right in that a lot of people know who Ringo is because of the name and because of his film 'career' and subsequent gravy training of his bandmates talent.

Wait, it is this a thread about our LBs, or our starting ORT?

http://m.blog.hu/tr/transfesser/image/Caveman.jpg

wagonhed
04-09-2010, 03:58 PM
I like your thinking, but Cush has a loooooong way to go if he's to take the 'best draft pick' title from AJ.

Well not only that, but if you're talking about "best draft picks" you have to give a whole lot of credit to guys we got in the 3rd that ended up being great starters or PBers. Meco, Daniels. Winston

Ckw
04-09-2010, 04:01 PM

Certainly, you will get no argument from me.

Cushing just brings that same kind of toughness that AJ brings, but also an emotion this team DESPERATELY has needed. I think with just the additions of Cushing and Pollard we will almost certainly be a top 10 defense and if we can pick up a CB worthy of starting in the draft, I'd say we could be a top 5 defense.

Ckw
04-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Well not only that, but if you're talking about "best draft picks" you have to give a whole lot of credit to guys we got in the 3rd that ended up being great starters or PBers. Meco, Daniels. Winston

My point with Cushing is he is the type of guy that has the power to completely change the face of our defense. Demeco is awesome and is certainly a top 5 MLB, but Cushing brings something our defense has badly needed: emotion and toughness. Our defense desperately needed to shed the finesse label, and Cushing has done that for us. Without him, I don't think we are even close to the same team defensively.

wagonhed
04-09-2010, 04:03 PM

Cushing just brings that same kind of toughness that AJ brings, but also an emotion this team DESPERATELY has needed. I think with just the additions of Cushing and Pollard we will almost certainly be a top 10 defense and if we can pick up a CB worthy of starting in the draft, I'd say we could be a top 5 defense.

Hmmm. That seems a bit optimistic to me.

I say with a healthy Eugene Wilson, an solid #1 CB and DT from the draft, then we could be a top 10 defense. I dunno about top 5.

infantrycak
04-09-2010, 04:08 PM
My point with Cushing is he is the type of guy that has the power to completely change the face of our defense. Demeco is awesome and is certainly a top 5 MLB, but Cushing brings something our defense has badly needed: emotion and toughness. Our defense desperately needed to shed the finesse label, and Cushing has done that for us. Without him, I don't think we are even close to the same team defensively.

Love Cushing but I wouldn't give him all the credit. Smith and Pollard brought a ton of attitude as well.

Oh and to someone above - Daniels was a 4th round pick.

xreadx
04-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Re: Wagonhed

You've got some good points there. But the key is that they're not training to be MMA fighters so I doubt they're going through the full regimen a normal "trainee" would. They're football players that are training in certain MMA techniques that can be of use or beneficial to them on the field. They're not going to detract from any strengths they need to "fit" the MMA style just add/change in positive ways that helps on the field. That's at least my assumption/hope!

Anddddd Romo tapped!! thats a hell of an arm bar cushing had on his ass!!

Ckw
04-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Hmmm. That seems a bit optimistic to me.

I say with a healthy Eugene Wilson, an solid #1 CB and DT from the draft, then we could be a top 10 defense. I dunno about top 5.

I don't know. Don't have the stats right in front of me or anything, but weren't we the #4 defense in football through the last 14 weeks of the season or something like that? I see the potential to have a repeat performance.

Love Cushing but I wouldn't give him all the credit. Smith and Pollard brought a ton of attitude as well.

Definitely. I also stated as much (at least about Pollard) in the post right above the one you quoted. Pollard deserves a TON of credit. All one has to do is look at how terrible our defense was weeks 1-3. Then Pollard comes in and starts, and we look like an entirely different team.

I'm not sure what it is, but Pollard certainly seems like a tough guy out there. But Cushing seems like a freakin Spartan warrior out on the field. Add in the MMA stuff, and I think that only makes Cushing seem even more Spartan-esque.

Section516
04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I don't know. Don't have the stats right in front of me or anything, but weren't we the #4 defense in football through the last 14 weeks of the season or something like that? I see the potential to have a repeat performance.

Definitely. I also stated as much (at least about Pollard) in the post right above the one you quoted. Pollard deserves a TON of credit. All one has to do is look at how terrible our defense was weeks 1-3. Then Pollard comes in and starts, and we look like an entirely different team.

I'm not sure what it is, but Pollard certainly seems like a tough guy out there. But Cushing seems like a freakin Spartan warrior out on the field. Add in the MMA stuff, and I think that only makes Cushing seem even more Spartan-esque.

USC. Duh.

Double Barrel
04-09-2010, 04:39 PM

yep, I agree completely. And hopefully, Cush is so good that there could be a good argument to be made when comparing to AJ on offense. That would be scary badass, and obviously awesome for this team.

Maddict5
04-09-2010, 05:38 PM

where did that come from? zac is as solid a LB as there is & a nice complement. whens the last time hes made a mistake? and eventhough hes on the field alot less than cush and meco he makes one or two 'woah' plays a game- usually a hard-hitting TFL's

Ckw
04-09-2010, 05:40 PM
USC. Duh.

Forget the Trojans (except the condems). Cushing is like a mother ****in Spartan. :spin:

GP
04-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Fargas, RB Oakland.

Oh yeah. It was a RB.

Tanks a bunch!

painekiller
04-09-2010, 06:48 PM

I'd like to see Conner Barwin doing this. Giving him and Mario more moves would help them immensely.

I have always thought martial arts was a good thing for LBs and DE's.

GP
04-09-2010, 06:56 PM
The thing about training for MMA is that in MMA it's just you and your opponent.

It causes you to think QUICKLY on your feet, or you pay for your inability to beat the other guy to the punch. One slip, and you're going to sleep.

It causes you to exploit your opponent's weaknesses. To study them. It's very much a warrior-type lifestyle. You have to prepare, and you have to be better than your opponent.

So it doesn't surprise me that Cush is into that stuff. My wife and I are HUGE fans of MMA. We watch it all the time. And the mental preparation, and the various things an MMA fighter has to be ready to employ in a fight, is amazing. Mario could stand to have a little of this type of attitude, to know how to beat the guy across from him in any given situation he faces on each snap he plays.

Four paragraphs exactly. GP has spoken.

False Start
04-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Oh yeah. It was a RB.

Tanks a bunch!

He had a few good tackles in that game, this in one of my favorites:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/91421353.jpg

b0ng
04-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Guys. Let's not get too carried away with this. There are benefits to doing lots of MMA work, but there are also downsides. We shouldn't be too quick to assume that this is some incredible workout that just blows away traditional workouts.

Here are some examples:

Leg strength is probably the biggest one. MMA training can potentially give you foot quickness, but at the cost of leg strength and power. How many MMA fighters have you seen with football player legs?

Cardio. The kind of cardio you get in MMA is not the same kind you use in football, necessarily. In wrestling, you're working a combination of fast and slow twitch fibers, and there is lots of creatine/aerobic phase muscle use. In football, it's almost completely fast twitch and ATP phase muscle use. So while MMA can certainly improve cardiovascular endurance specifically, the kind of muscle endurance it gives is not necessarily the kind football players want or need.

Upper body strength. MMA can definitely give you quickness and power in your arms, but that can come at the expense of strength. Especially for top-tier athletes like Cushing, Meco, Williams, you just can't gain a ton of quickness without losing strength. A lot of the upper body bulk and sheer force you need in the NFL, esp. at DE and MLB for powering through blocks or making tackles, is just extra unneeded bulk in MMA.

So those are just some things off the top of my head. I'm not saying this training is bad, by any means. I'm just saying we shouldn't be so quick to assume it is way better than any other training they could be doing, or that it doesn't have strong disadvantages as well as advantages.

I think the idea behind these guys doing this training is to learn more about leverage, balance, and hopefully how to take somebody down every time. I mean I'm sure they can pick up some things about proper striking and how to use a guard properly but I don't think that would help them that much in football. But being able to use great footwork and leverage to shed blockers to get to a running back where you can execute a perfect takedown (Would love to see Cushing shoot a double leg on Chris Johnson) would be a great skillset to add to your repertoire.

HouSportsWriter
04-11-2010, 07:21 PM
He had a few good tackles in that game, this in one of my favorites:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/91421353.jpg

story time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

face mask on # 56 *brian gos up to him beats the shet out of him mma style :strangle: and says what you say punk* ref says i said you should be mvp of the game....
*brian picks him up and says that what i thaught u said with a grin on his face*

the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JB
04-11-2010, 09:47 PM
story time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

face mask on # 56 *brian gos up to him beats the shet out of him mma style :strangle: and says what you say punk* ref says i said you should be mvp of the game....
*brian picks him up and says that what i thaught u said with a grin on his face*

the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Become fond of exclamation marks have you?

barrett
04-12-2010, 03:06 AM

Actually, Harrison was not a very good musician. According to the beatles engineer Geoff Emerick, he struggled mightily with laying down his parts. Have said that, "Long, Long, Long" Is one of my favorite beatles songs. But he was most certainly not the best musician of the bunch.
I'd like to see Conner Barwin doing this. Giving him and Mario more moves would help them immensely.

I have always thought martial arts was a good thing for LBs and DE's.

Barwin has been doing boxing training (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqtU2xLrWG0) for the past two seasons to increase his hand speed.

The balance stuff that #56 talks about makes a ton of sense. And I agree that Barwin could benefit from it. Not to mention #90. LZ mentioned that he asked someone close to Mario about it and that they laughed it off. Apparently, it's not his thing.

GP
04-12-2010, 09:08 PM
The balance stuff that #56 talks about makes a ton of sense. And I agree that Barwin could benefit from it. Not to mention #90. LZ mentioned that he asked someone close to Mario about it and that they laughed it off. Apparently, it's not his thing.

That's why Brian Cushing will end up being a bigger NFL star than Mario. One guy trains MMA, the other is into racing cars.

I'm honestly tired of Mario Williams. He's talented, but there's just something lacking (for this fan, at least).

One of these days, it's going to be make-or-break for Mario. At some point, if he isn't dominating and turning the tide of multiple games (by his own efforts) then what's the point of having him?

Ckw
04-12-2010, 11:03 PM
That's why Brian Cushing will end up being a bigger NFL star than Mario. One guy trains MMA, the other is into racing cars.

I'm honestly tired of Mario Williams. He's talented, but there's just something lacking (for this fan, at least).

One of these days, it's going to be make-or-break for Mario. At some point, if he isn't dominating and turning the tide of multiple games (by his own efforts) then what's the point of having him?

I have to agree. When the man wants to, he can completely change the game. Problem is he doesn't seem to want to all that often. Exactly what they said about him in college appears to be the case with him in the pros: he has a tendency to take plays off.

wagonhed
04-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Dude, Mario Williams is one of the best players on our team - plays off or not. Would you rather have another high motor guy like Tim Bulman taking his spot?

The best players in the NFL don't all have high motors or lots of drive. That's just the way it is. Try and build a team with high effort only guys and you will finish dead last every year.

Really hard to criticize the guy who has been the only solid piece on our Dline for the past 4 years.

barrett
04-12-2010, 11:25 PM

Are you talking about that one video of him driving his car fast? Or are you sighting multilple instances where it's been reported that he enjoys racing cars?

Because that's a pretty lame measuring stick for what determines if a guy is going to be a "bigger star".

I appreciate that you point out that this is specifically your opinion only though. He, like many #1 picks is held to a higher standard and for you, it's not enough. I think he's a good football player and I feel good knowing that he's on my team.

JB
04-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Are you talking about that one video of him driving his car fast? Or are you sighting multilple instances where it's been reported that he enjoys racing cars?

Because that's a pretty lame measuring stick for what determines if a guy is going to be a "bigger star".

I appreciate that you point out that this is specifically your opinion only though. He, like many #1 picks is held to a higher standard and for you, it's not enough. I think he's a good football player and I feel good knowing that he's on my team.

:goodpost:

Sometimes people think Mario should be the MVP evey year!

barrett
04-13-2010, 12:31 AM
I think he has the potential to be the DMVP certianly. I think that's why guys like GP feel the way they do. He can be that good but he hasn't achieved those kinds of accolades. I think his strengths are as a well balanced DE and that's not what people think of when they think of a DE. They think of sacks.

People talk about Mario "taking plays off" when he doesn't get pressure on the QB. I just don't think that's where his greatest skill lies. I think he's a completely dominant run stopper and a very good pass rusher who is all alone out there getting double and even triple teamed. #98's developement is going to help him as is #94.

But that' s not sexy enough for some people. If his pass rush skills continue to improve as well as the supporting cast around him, he will most certianly become the sexy pick that everyone wants him to be.

dalemurphy
04-13-2010, 02:28 AM

GP, If Mario is the third or fourth best player on our defense, then we are going to have a very good defense. That's what matters! I agree that it can be frustrating that he doesn't make more plays than he does. However, he's not a "me" guy. In other words, he doesn't ignore his responsibilities and go for cheap sacks, etc... He's a guy that does his job every play. Then, sometimes, he does his job and then much more, which is basically what Barrett is saying when he mentions that Mario is very good versus the run.

I think he plays too many plays. I'm hopeful he rotates out more, which will free him up to rev his motor higher when he's in the game. I'd like to see him on the sideline for close to 20% of the defensive snaps.

beerlover
04-13-2010, 02:40 AM
Mario is maturing just fine. This defense has been evolving since he was selected to really benifit both parties I would like to see the Texans mix in more 3-4 fronts. Mario & Antonio Smith would be perfect 5 technique DE's, just need to add that NT (makes Dan Williams an intriqueing prospect). Imagine Cushing & Barwin as your OLB's with DeMeco & Diles inside? Texans need to figure out who they want to be, they need an identity. Mario will be a huge part of that identity :logo:

BigBull17
04-13-2010, 11:55 AM
People act like Mario is comming in out of shape. He takes care of his strength and conditioning on his own. It's his way, while Cush's way is his way. Doesn't make either guy right or wrong.

GP
04-13-2010, 12:01 PM
People act like Mario is comming in out of shape. He takes care of his strength and conditioning on his own. It's his way, while Cush's way is his way. Doesn't make either guy right or wrong.

I don't question how "in shape" Mario is.

I'm saying that it doesn't shock me that Cushing is into MMA training, and we have one person on this thread who CLAIMS (no proof of it, though) that Mario laughs that stuff off.

Maddict5
04-13-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't question how "in shape" Mario is.

I'm saying that it doesn't shock me that Cushing is into MMA training, and we have one person on this thread who CLAIMS (no proof of it, though) that Mario laughs that stuff off.

*the person close to mario laughed it off

Thorn
04-13-2010, 07:22 PM
I don't think Mario has lived up to being the number 1 pick in the draft, but is he a damn good DE? Yes he is, and I'm happy as hell we got him on our team.

GP
04-14-2010, 01:28 AM
I don't think Mario has lived up to being the number 1 pick in the draft, but is he a damn good DE? Yes he is, and I'm happy as hell we got him on our team.

Damn good is debatable, IMO.

"Damn good" (for me, at least) is on hold for a few seasons.

If we had TWO beefy, high-motor DTs on that line, he'd be killer. So I suppose he's doing the best he can do with what he has to work with for now.

HOU-TEX
04-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Off-topic:

I think Cush might need to invest in a new set of clubs. Clubs that might fit him.

http://a.yfrog.com/img402/1080/21463504.jpg

BigBull17
04-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Damn good is debatable, IMO.

"Damn good" (for me, at least) is on hold for a few seasons.

If we had TWO beefy, high-motor DTs on that line, he'd be killer. So I suppose he's doing the best he can do with what he has to work with for now.

How do you become damn good? I think he has been pretty damn good so far. Has he had bad games? Yes. But he has also been so disruptive that he has taken over games. With NO ONE basically playing DT. I just think there are some people who have unrealistic ideas about what Mario should do. He is a good pass rusher, great run stuffer, and just about the best total package DE in the NFL. Yet, we think he is "alright".

m5kwatts
04-14-2010, 05:39 PM
From today's chat with Pollard on ht.com

Thomas - New Hyde Park, NY, US: Glad you are back with the Texans. Would you ever consider joining Brian Cushing on that MMA training workout?

Bernard Pollard (2:37:19 PM): No, I won't consider training with him because Cushing is the type of guy that as a kid you didn't want to rough house with because he took things too far. So no, I'm not going to consider MMA'ing with him. I'm going to take my training and do what I do on the field and let him do his own thing and take that to the field. That is a crazy son of a gun.

threetoedpete
04-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Don't know what good this does.....Demeeeeco Ryans was just featured on NFLn as a filler after the Rooney Presser on Big Ben. As is par with NFLn we get screwed once again. It's on the "wired for sound" with Brian Billick.

Texans_Chick
04-16-2010, 04:35 PM

Not everything is black and white.

Depending on where you look to get the info, Mario Williams took the third most snaps of all the 4-3 defensive ends. Over 950. That is a ridiculously high amount of time being on the field for a DE. Despite having a bum shoulder that they weren't talking about much.

I would not want to see this defensive line with no Mario Williams on it. Dude needs some help.

I'm not saying he's the best player evaaaaar, but it's not like he's a lazy bum either.

IDEXAN
04-16-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm hearing more and more that beginning at the mid point of last year Antonio Smith was our best down lineman.

m5kwatts
04-16-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm hearing more and more that beginning at the mid point of last year Antonio Smith was our best down lineman.

You don't have to hear anything just re-watch the last 6-8 games. He was in the backfield more than any of our lineman. And his 3rd and 4th quarter effort was as good as anyone on the entire defense.

And on Mario, we were all predicting 17-20 sacks last offseason so lets not go the extreme the other way just because he "only" had 9 sacks. We've seen what his potential is and he's one of those few players in the NFL who can single-handedly dominate a game. Ask any scout or coach in the NFL, he's a guy you HAVE to gameplan for regardless of what his latest production says.

Ckw
04-16-2010, 05:30 PM

Depending on where you look to get the info, Mario Williams took the third most snaps of all the 4-3 defensive ends. Over 950. That is a ridiculously high amount of time being on the field for a DE. Despite having a bum shoulder that they weren't talking about much.

I would not want to see this defensive line with no Mario Williams on it. Dude needs some help.

I'm not saying he's the best player evaaaaar, but it's not like he's a lazy bum either.

Good post and thanks for the info. That is a hell of a lot of snaps for any player, let alone a DE with a bum shoulder.

That being said, I don't think anyone is saying Mario is a lazy bum or isn't any good. He certainly needs some help and maybe if he was able to play fewer snaps, I might not even have a leg to stand on in my arguments against Mario.

Don't get me, and I think GP, wrong. I love Mario, and our defense would be much worse without him. That being said, the guy's M.O. coming out of college was that he took off snaps more than most. It just appears the same is happening in the pros. Maybe I am reading too much into GP's posts, but I think that is more of what he is talking about than just the MMA thing.

He definitely made some serious strides last year.

And on Mario, we were all predicting 17-20 sacks last offseason so lets not go the extreme the other way just because he "only" had 9 sacks. We've seen what his potential is and he's one of those few players in the NFL who can single-handedly dominate a game. Ask any scout or coach in the NFL, he's a guy you HAVE to gameplan for regardless of what his latest production says.

Great post man. This is exactly my point. Maybe I am a fool, but I honestly believe Mario could be the best DE in the game and has the potential to be Reggie White good. Call me a homer, but the guy has the size and athleticism you simply can't teach. The only thing that really seems to separate the two, IMO, is work ethic. Reggie White seemed to bring it every down of every game. He would just keep coming at you harder and harder every down. I just don't see that in Mario.

That said, Mario half-assing it is better than 90% of the DEs in the NFL.

New_Texans
04-16-2010, 05:57 PM
If i had a bum shoulder--one that i'd been playing on all day, hitting another big man in the face with as he is pulling and tugging my arm with the bum shoulder--i'd take some plays off too.

m5kwatts
04-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Besides how many times did our ends beat tackles only to have the QB step up into the pocket because theres no pressure up the middle? Add a penetrating DT and Mario might've had those 15 sacks we all expected.

GP
04-16-2010, 08:05 PM

He needs to beat his man and get to the QB.

He needs to outplay his opposing offensive lineman on the majority of plays.

And he needs to make big plays at key times in the game. Not every game, mind you. Nobody is going to run the table. "Mario Williams" should become a name that ESPN and FoxSports say (a lot) when they show highlights of Texans games.

I somewhat agree with the idea of getting him interior help. Amobi is killing everyone on that defensive line, IMO. I don't think Amobi is physically capable of achieving more than he has already. I hope he proves me wrong in 2010.

The thing I am thinking about, the most right now, and I have mentioned it before, is that maybe Mario Williams was put into an unfair situation with being the first overall pick. He was chosen, supposedly, because we needed to harass Manning twice a year and in the playoffs. Listening to Thunderkyss on here, we're to believe that this is the season of the Colts' decline.

So mayyyybe this is the year that Mario dominates Manning and the tide is turned.

I won't hold my breath on it.

Honoring Earl 34
04-16-2010, 10:22 PM
He needs to beat his man and get to the QB.

He needs to outplay his opposing offensive lineman on the majority of plays.

And he needs to make big plays at key times in the game. Not every game, mind you. Nobody is going to run the table. "Mario Williams" should become a name that ESPN and FoxSports say (a lot) when they show highlights of Texans games.

I somewhat agree with the idea of getting him interior help. Amobi is killing everyone on that defensive line, IMO. I don't think Amobi is physically capable of achieving more than he has already. I hope he proves me wrong in 2010.

The thing I am thinking about, the most right now, and I have mentioned it before, is that maybe Mario Williams was put into an unfair situation with being the first overall pick. He was chosen, supposedly, because we needed to harass Manning twice a year and in the playoffs. Listening to Thunderkyss on here, we're to believe that this is the season of the Colts' decline.

So mayyyybe this is the year that Mario dominates Manning and the tide is turned.

I won't hold my breath on it.

I listened to Jay Glazer on the radio talking about Cushing anb MMA . He said Cushings a monster and that Cushing works him over pretty good .

He stated that he got started by Jared Allen watching him train and wanted to try it . He said Patrick Willis then got into it and didn't lose weight but dropped a couple of inches off his waistline .

The thing MMA does is , it pushes you past your old limits , according to Glazer . He said he's had NFL guys signup and quit the first day . He thinks that MMA makes football seem easy , so that right there would make Mario a better player .

b0ng
04-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Mario Williams needs to completely revolutionize the DE position while simultaneously averaging 35 sacks a year in order to not be a bust.

m5kwatts
04-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Mario Williams needs to completely revolutionize the DE position while simultaneously averaging 35 sacks a year in order to not be a bust.

I can't even imagine what this place would be like if they had taken Vince or Bush

Ckw
04-17-2010, 01:46 AM

Holy overreaction Batman!

I don't remember anyone at anytime stating in this thread that Mario is a bust. All anyone is saying is they think he could be better. You'd think with a name like Bong you'd be a little more chilled out with your posts and not react so emotionally anytime posters decide to express an opinion that differs from yours.

b0ng
04-17-2010, 03:35 AM
Obvious hyperbole here. Look I'm fine with where Williams is in his career, but that opinion gets stated regularly enough. I took 30 seconds to make a joke that I thought was funny.

Sometimes people make over the top statements to make light of the heavy tones places like these can become. Lighten up brosef *fistbump*

whiskeyrbl
04-17-2010, 07:13 AM

DeMeco was a second round pick and Daniels was a 4th.

barrett
04-17-2010, 04:19 PM
And Winston isn't a pro bowler.

infantrycak
04-17-2010, 04:55 PM
And Winston isn't a pro bowler.

I think you missed the "or."

wagonhed
04-18-2010, 03:21 PM
That'll teach me to be more careful posting here! :rake:

barrett
04-19-2010, 01:06 AM