PDA

View Full Version : Mary Jane Making the Rounds

CloakNNNdagger
04-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Even for those that have the most liberal views of this substance, with established Combine rules, stupid is as stupid does. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/09/teams-tight-lipped-about-positive-drug-tests-from-scouting-combine/) for at least 10 or 11 players who carry first-round draft grade.

Teams tight lipped about positive drug tests from Scouting Combine

In recent years, the weeks before the draft have seen the emergence of multiple names of players who tested positive for marijuana and other substances at the Scouting Combine. Last year, two different publications identified erroneously several players as testing positive who, in reality, didn't. On other occasions in the recent past, names surfaced as to players who admitted to using marijuana in pre-draft interviews, including sessions at the Scouting Combine.

This year, apart from Don Banks' article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/03/23/nfl.draft.marijuana/index.html?eref=twitter_feed) citing a general spike in incoming players with marijuana red flags, there has been silence. Sure, we've heard a rumor that "a bunch" of players tested positive for marijuana at the Scouting Combine -- a sure sign of stupidity, addiction, or both, given that the players know they're going to be tested there. But teams aren't leaking names this year.

Yet.

El Tejano
04-09-2010, 07:57 AM
I had a thread about this under What I Like About This Years Draft and I pretty much stated that you aren't hearing about any dudes with these problems but now I can see why. Teams are staying on the hush about it.

NitroGSXR
04-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Here I was thinking that my wife was Mary Jane Rottencrotch or something.

*phew*

Disclaimer: Her name is actually Mary Jane.

SheTexan
04-09-2010, 08:05 AM
How dumb can someone be??! Geeezzzzz!! Next there will be a push to legalize MJ in the NFL, for medicinal reasons. Maybe they better keep their eyes open on the Cali franchises, IF Cali legalizes MJ like they want too.

Khari
04-09-2010, 08:22 AM
if this substance has no effect on you how come people can't stop using it when faced with a choice between it and millions of dollars

HOU-TEX
04-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Here I was thinking that my wife was Mary Jane Rottencrotch or something.

*phew*

Disclaimer: Her name is actually Mary Jane.

:spit: I now have a dot on my shirt from my coffee, Nitro. That caught me way off-guard.

eriadoc
04-09-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm all for the legalization of marijuana, for a variety of reasons. If you stand to make millions in the NFL if you give it up for a few years, you really are stupid to turn that down.

Of course, I don't see too many of these NFL players seeking Mensa membership.

NitroGSXR
04-09-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm all for the legalization of marijuana, for a variety of reasons. If you stand to make millions in the NFL if you give it up for a few years, you really are stupid to turn that down.

Of course, I don't see too many of these NFL players seeking Mensa membership.

If employers don't want you smoking pot then I don't have a problem with that. It's their company. They can establish their own tolerance guidelines, same with some jobs not allowing alcoholics. Just as long as they don't discriminate. A positive test doesn't discriminate too much.

How does the NFL currently treat players with an actual legal medicinal marijuana license?

I do foresee some legal problems in regards to this somewhere down the road. Where is the line sensitively drawn? Going to be interesting learning about this as we go...

I'm rooting for California.

Blazing Arrow
04-09-2010, 10:03 AM
The people have to be completely stupid. To pass a pee test you have to have not smoked in the last maybe 2 weeks as long as you are not a daily user. So these guys can not hold off for 2 weeks when they have probably been told 5 million times when the test is going to happen and it could cost them millions??

steelbtexan
04-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Poor Percy Harvin,

he got popped on a test at the combie last year.

The Vikings spent all of last year trying to fid a drug to combat his migrane headache issues. He had the issues under control. (smoking MJ) But since MJ usage is against the NFL's drug testing policy he had to suffer all of last season. While the medical staff tried to come up with a solution for his headaches.

I never heard of Harvin having a problem with migranes at Fla. He knew how to keep them under control. (MJ)

Ole Miss Texan
04-09-2010, 11:01 AM
How does the NFL currently treat players with an actual legal medicinal marijuana license?
Well my thinking is that if they are legally allowed to use medicinal marijuana, it's because they have a medical condition. I suspect that medical condition has a lot of weight in a team's decision to sign that player. I also suspect a team might want to employ a "healthy" WR vs. a WR with a glaucoma and treating it with pot.

Just sayin'... injuries/diseases/medical issues are a huge factor in a teams' due diligence of whether they want to pay that person millions of dollars. Politics aside, marijuana use for medical reasons means they've got medical issues. No matter what medical issue is and what the treatment is... its a red flag.

SheTexan
04-09-2010, 11:04 AM
The people have to be completely stupid. To pass a pee test you have to have not smoked in the last maybe 2 weeks as long as you are not a daily user. So these guys can not hold off for 2 weeks when they have probably been told 5 million times when the test is going to happen and it could cost them millions??

MJ can be detected in urine within 30 days of usage, daily user or not. Regardless, it's a dumb thing to do if you are serious about a career in the NFL.

NitroGSXR
04-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Well my thinking is that if they are legally allowed to use medicinal marijuana, it's because they have a medical condition. I suspect that medical condition has a lot of weight in a team's decision to sign that player. I also suspect a team might want to employ a "healthy" WR vs. a WR with a glaucoma and treating it with pot.

Just sayin'... injuries/diseases/medical issues are a huge factor in a teams' due diligence of whether they want to pay that person millions of dollars. Politics aside, marijuana use for medical reasons means they've got medical issues. No matter what medical issue is and what the treatment is... its a red flag.

A leg that's been operated on qualifies for medicinal marijuana. That's about half of the NFL right there. What I'm getting at is that it's easier than one thinks to legally be a card carrying marijuana user. I even know somebody who had a bruised back. Whammo. Medicinal license.

Red flags aside, I think the NFL frowns on it as a whole legal or not.

HOU-TEX
04-09-2010, 12:05 PM
A leg that's been operated on qualifies for medicinal marijuana. That's about half of the NFL right there. What I'm getting at is that it's easier than one thinks to legally be a card carrying marijuana user. I even know somebody who had a bruised back. Whammo. Medicinal license.

Red flags aside, I think the NFL frowns on it as a whole legal or not.

You sure? If so I'm pissed. After all the surgeries I've had I could've gotten stoned to the bone instead of taking pain killers? Pain killers that made me feel like crap and almost making me crap myself while trying to force my self to pee?

NitroGSXR
04-09-2010, 12:15 PM
You sure? If so I'm pissed. After all the surgeries I've had I could've gotten stoned to the bone instead of taking pain killers? Pain killers that made me feel like crap and almost making me crap myself while trying to force my self to pee?

Pretty sure but I can't state that as a fact. You'll have to take a prequalification test. Google medicinal marijuana qualifications. I hate painkillers myself. Hate 'em.

All women qualify. PMS is a valid reason for licensing in CA and HI.

Blazing Arrow
04-09-2010, 12:29 PM
MJ can be detected in urine within 30 days of usage, daily user or not. Regardless, it's a dumb thing to do if you are serious about a career in the NFL.

Incorrect.

With proper clensing methods. Cranberry juice and water you can pass a test in a week. I know from personal experience. Well a friend of mine you know ... :cool:

NitroGSXR
04-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Incorrect.

With proper clensing methods. Cranberry juice and water you can pass a test in a week. I know from personal experience. Well a friend of mine you know ... :cool:

I've smoked weed on my way to a drug test. There are "cleansers" on the market. Unless they snag a hair follicle. It can be detected there up to a year but they got shampoos for that as well. If they draw blood... you're effed.

HOU-TEX
04-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Pretty sure but I can't state that as a fact. You'll have to take a prequalification test. Google medicinal marijuana qualifications. I hate painkillers myself. Hate 'em.

All women qualify. PMS is a valid reason for licensing in CA and HI.

Aw man, I thought I was the only one. Every time I hear of people taking pain killers just for the high I just think to myself, how the hell can they find enjoyment from that. Maybe it's the way my body reacts to them, I don't know.

IIRC, I was prescribed hydrocodone after the latest "clean out" of my shoulder and it sucked in a major way. I thought it'd be better than how vicodin and codeine made me feel. Boy, was I wrong, I quit after 1 dose and dealt with the pain.

Double Barrel
04-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Substances in drug testing that may show a "False Positive" for marijuana:

Over-the-counter NSAIDS: lbuprofen; Advil, Nuprin, Mediprim, Motrin, Bayer Select Pain Relief Formula, Excedrin IB Caplets, Genpril, Haltran, lbuprin, Midol 200, Pamprin, Trendar Cramp Relief Formula, Cramp End Tablets, Medipren, Rufln, Naproxen, Aleve, Ketoprofen, Orudis KT. Prescription NSAIDS: Anaprox, Tolectin, ifenoprofen, flurbiprofen, oxaprozin, Ansaid, Clinoril, Dolobid, Feldene, Indocin, Lodine, Meclomen, Motrin, Nalfon, Naprosyn, Orudis, Relafen, Voltaren. Over-the-counter allergy preparations, sleep aids and antinausea medications that contain promethazine: Phenergan, Promethegan. Riboflavin (vitamin B2), Dronabinol, Edecrin.

Source (http://www.ipassedmydrugtest.com/drug_test_faq.asp)

Just because they test positive, this does not mean that they were smoking weed.

What is the detection period for Marijuana?

Marijuana is detectable in urine for 48-72 hours after single use. Habitual or chronic use can be detected in urine for up to 12 weeks depending on quantity, duration, and frequency of use.

Source (http://www.xpressdrugtest.com/faq.html)

How long does Marijuana stay in your System?

The most common period of time is anywhere from 3-30 days, depending on your metabolism and the amount of marijuana that you’ve smoked.

------------

Hair tests are even worse, since your body stores THC in the hair follicles. For this reason, the previous answers to “How long does marijuana stay in your system?” are only useful if you’re going to be forced to take a urine test. For the hair test, depending on the amount of hair that the company takes, it’s possible that marijuana could be detected up to three years after the last time that you smoke.

Source (http://www.concept420.com/how-long-does-marijuana-stay-system.htm)

NitroGSXR
04-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Aw man, I thought I was the only one. Every time I hear of people taking pain killers just for the high I just think to myself, how the hell can they find enjoyment from that. Maybe it's the way my body reacts to them, I don't know.

IIRC, I was prescribed hydrocodone after the latest "clean out" of my shoulder and it sucked in a major way. I thought it'd be better than how vicodin and codeine made me feel. Boy, was I wrong, I quit after 1 dose and dealt with the pain.

That's the way to do it. You need to be able to feel pain to recover properly. I've had loads of surgery myself and am currently recoverying from a couple of surgeries.

wagonhed
04-09-2010, 01:46 PM
So everyone wants to keep calling these guys stupid for using marijuana despite drug testing at the combine, BUT...

if they see that tons of people are testing positive and it's not affecting their draft status, why should they care? Looks to me like they are smart, not stupid.

eriadoc
04-09-2010, 04:57 PM
So everyone wants to keep calling these guys stupid for using marijuana despite drug testing at the combine, BUT...

if they see that tons of people are testing positive and it's not affecting their draft status, why should they care? Looks to me like they are smart, not stupid.

A lot more of them have their draft status affected than not. And they're stupid because it's a simple risk v. reward scenario. Dope it up after you get your guaranteed millions, if you just have to dope it up.

CloakNNNdagger
04-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Just because they test positive, this does not mean that they were smoking weed.

When I was assigned to law enforcement (and many high profile testing centers share this now......I would be shocked if the NFL didn't use it), when a positive test for marijuana or any other illicit drug was encountered, the specimen (urine) was retested by Gas Chromatography / Mass Spectrometry technique which can essentially separately identify minute amounts of each and every substance in the specimen. When masking agents or masking techniques were used, they would clearly identify BOTH the substance(s) AND masking agents.

Probably, the lag from the time of initial NFL testing to the public revelation of the positive test, coincides with the secondary confirmatory testing. This readily explains why some of the NFL "leaks" on player positive tests are later proven to be false.

This is an excellent review of the available MARIJUANA TESTING TECHNIQUES (http://www.marijuana.com/drug-test/methods).

Rey
04-09-2010, 06:27 PM
There is legal bud that you can get from smoke shops that gets you high. It cost more than street marijuana, but they are about to make a lot of money in most cases anyways..

CloakNNNdagger
04-09-2010, 06:42 PM
There is legal bud that you can get from smoke shops that gets you high. It cost more than street marijuana, but they are about to make a lot of money in most cases anyways..

It's "synthetic marijuana? and goes by the name of K2, Spike 99 and Spice.......and most states have already made moves to ban it.

Rey
04-09-2010, 07:04 PM
It's "synthetic marijuana? and goes by the name of K2, Spike 99 and Spice.......and most states have already made moves to ban it.

Do you know if it shows up in a drug screen because thats really all that matters???

I know that they sell it here in Houston though...

CloakNNNdagger
04-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Do you know if it shows up in a drug screen because thats really all that matters???

I know that they sell it here in Houston though...

You can "play the game." They are essentially designer cannabinoids (variants of THC) and may be missed on preliminary screen............but, sorry, not on the GC/MS secondary testing.

I don't even know why any intelligent person would screw around with this. There's nothing natural about it. It's essentially a mix of herbs THAT ARE SPRAYED WITH A SYNTHETIC CANNABINOID THAT IS ALWAYS MIXED WITH OTHER UNKOWN TOXIC SUBSTANCES. It is about 4-5 times as potent as THC and has been extensively studied in Europe (especially, Germany, Switzerland and the UK) and Japan. All of these countries have, BTW, banned the substance. I know, for a fact, if you are caught with possession of it in the UK, it is a 5 year jail term. Unlike, typical marijuana use, it has been found to cause severe uncontrollabe blood pressure and cardiac and stroke events. Furthermore, in almost half, the user will experience severe hallucinations, some ending in markedly inappropriate acts leading to death. This is not to even mention the commonly occurring central nervouse system effects of uncontrollable tremors, and life-threatening seizures. Be assured, this is not your "Granma's marijuana." Now, if anyone is foolish enough or just enjoys a good game of Russian Roulette.............go for it!

The Pencil Neck
04-09-2010, 09:51 PM

Hydrocodone/Vicodin (which is the same drug, btw) is absolutely the worst. It doesn't seem to take any pain away and it just makes me feel crappy and loopy. I can't imagine someone wanting to take that crap for any reason.

scourge
04-12-2010, 10:39 PM
I've smoked weed on my way to a drug test. There are "cleansers" on the market. Unless they snag a hair follicle. It can be detected there up to a year but they got shampoos for that as well. If they draw blood... you're effed.

This.

These cleansers have been around for quite a long time. Last time I ever had a reason to use one was back in '01, and like Nitro I didn't quit in advance and was smoking that morning. Before that, I even beat a "pop" test at the job where everyone employee in the building had to test before leaving/using a restroom. Had something in our breakroom fridge that I threw a Gatorade label on and left in there just in case. I just had to ask for time because "I went to the bathroom before I came to work. Let me drink something so I can pee." Just drank it along with 2 more bottles of water.

I have long since cleaned up, but that's not the point. It never took millions to make me quit. It was wanting to keep my gf(now wife), have a job, and a child which I have all of now.

What is the point, is that it is easily beaten if you give any effort. Which isn't always easy with a pothead.

powerfuldragon
04-13-2010, 12:52 AM
who knows if it's true, but i've heard of athletes filling their bladders with 'clean' piss via catheters. gives me the shivers to think of hwat that must feel like.

The Pencil Neck
04-13-2010, 09:20 AM
who knows if it's true, but i've heard of athletes filling their bladders with 'clean' piss via catheters. gives me the shivers to think of hwat that must feel like.

That feels like "maybe I shouldn't be doing drugs." That's what that feels like.

swtbound07
04-13-2010, 10:20 AM
i will stand for a lot of things here. But i will not, NOT sit idly by and listen to you guys bash prescription painkillers.

HOU-TEX
04-13-2010, 10:33 AM
i will stand for a lot of things here. But i will not, NOT sit idly by and listen to you guys bash prescription painkillers.

I will bash them all day long. I'd rather endure the pain than take something that takes me out of my mind. Problem?

BigBull17
04-13-2010, 11:02 AM

QUOTE=Blazing Arrow;1401821]Incorrect.

With proper clensing methods. Cranberry juice and water you can pass a test in a week. I know from personal experience. Well a friend of mine you know ... :cool:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've passed them pretty soon after a toke. I used a clenser, but if you drink an ass tone of water you can clense your system pretty fast. Remember, in the NFL a masking agent is a failed test.

swtbound07
04-13-2010, 11:04 AM
I will bash them all day long. I'd rather endure the pain than take something that takes me out of my mind. Problem?

DAgger to my heart man. Like going up to Chris Brown and telling him he can't hit rihanna anymore.

scourge
04-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Incorrect.

Yeah, I've passed them pretty soon after a toke. I used a clenser, but if you drink an ass tone of water you can clense your system pretty fast. Remember, in the NFL a masking agent is a failed test.

Many companies consider a sample that is basically water as a failure as well and tend to require a re-test unannounced.