PDA

View Full Version : Texas Stadium to blow up Sunday!!!!!

TEXANS84
04-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Can I get a hallelujah!!!

Our friends at ESPN (we actually have one or two there) have advised us that Sunday's implosion of the old Texas Stadium can be viewed on ESPN3.com.

The live feed will come courtesy of the Irving Community Television Network.

Those in the Dallas area may pay $25 per car to view the big bang in a lot that holds up to 5,000 cars. Gates for the 7:00 a.m. C.T. event open at 2:00 a.m. C.T. Seriously.

More than 2,700 pounds of explosives will be used to knock down the building, which is only a shell after the dismantling of the interior of the structure.

We assume that the hole in the roof remains. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, God thinks this one is gonna be wicked.

BURN BABY BURN (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/08/texas-stadium-implosion-coming-sunday/)

hot pickle
04-08-2010, 05:26 PM
hahaha only jerry jones would actually charge people to watch his old stadium blow up lol

Texan_Bill
04-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Hallelujah, Brother!!! Hallelujah!!!

It'll look something a little like this: Kingdome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xLzTKQ4-qU)

Wolf
04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
I guess that is cheaper than watching Romo blow up in the playoffs ...

:photos:

False Start
04-08-2010, 05:52 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/hekkyes.jpg

That place neeeded to be blown up a long time ago. I had never seen it until I was on a work trip. My boss pointed it out to me, and I asked that POS is Cowgirls Stadium!?! It fit the franchise to a T. :fingergun:

Wolf
04-08-2010, 05:53 PM
here is a picture of it taken high above from the good year blimp

http://www.intercorsa.co.uk/carimages/1903/broken_toilet.jpg

WWJD
04-08-2010, 07:27 PM
hahaha only jerry jones would actually charge people to watch his old stadium blow up lol

The city of Irving owns Texas Stadium. The money is going to some charity. Nothing new there. They tore down Reunion Arena as well.

drewmar74
04-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Texas Stadium getting blown up - pretty cool.

Finding out Jerrah is still in it - Awesome!

CloakNNNdagger
04-08-2010, 09:03 PM

That's hillarious! Dang, must spread the rep.:lol:

Texan_Bill
04-08-2010, 10:04 PM

That's hillarious! Dang, must spread the rep.:lol:

Totally agree Doc, Wolf has outdone himself... This was awesome!! lol: :thumbup

*rep to Wolf if I could*

OzzO
04-09-2010, 07:22 AM
So, they can implode Texas stadium... they can implode Yankee stadium.... but heaven forbid we do the same with the Astrodome. Let's just have it sit there while the thumb is up the bum.

El Tejano
04-09-2010, 09:39 AM
So, they can implode Texas stadium... they can implode Yankee stadium.... but heaven forbid we do the same with the Astrodome. Let's just have it sit there while the thumb is up the bum.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but I heard reports earlier this year that the kid that won the contest to push the button was a kid that is actually a Texans fan. Is that still happening? That would just be ironic.

NitroGSXR
04-09-2010, 09:59 AM

I'm not a real big Cowgirl fan so I'd pay $100. I'd probably pay a buck to have JJ plopped in from above.

This is going to be great!

WWJD
04-09-2010, 10:03 AM

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but I heard reports earlier this year that the kid that won the contest to push the button was a kid that is actually a Texans fan. Is that still happening? That would just be ironic.

He's an 11 year old boy with a big heart named Casey Rogers. He won an essay contest about the homeless and even has his own charity at his young aid to help the homeless. He's from Terrell and he's a Cowboy fan. I'll see if I can find a link. I remember reading the story in the DMN.

NitroGSXR
04-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Please let there be a streaming feed...

I'm psyched. Cowgirl hatred aside, I absolutely love controlled stadium implosions. The Kingdome ranks as the best for me. I worked for a demolition company here through labor ready for a couple weeks. We brought down a high rise loft. WOW! That was exhilarating! If the Astrodome were ever to be imploded, it'd most likely be done with a wrecking ball. I would think that Reliant Stadium and all it's glass is kinda in the way but I don't know.

I really wish I could go tomorrow. Ugh. I would have proudly flown my Texans flag. High enough for all to see...

CloakNNNdagger
04-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Please let there be a streaming feed...

I'm psyched. Cowgirl hatred aside, I absolutely love controlled stadium implosions. The Kingdome ranks as the best for me. I worked for a demolition company here through labor ready for a couple weeks. We brought down a high rise loft. WOW! That was exhilarating! If the Astrodome were ever to be imploded, it'd most likely be done with a wrecking ball. I would think that Reliant Stadium and all it's glass is kinda in the way but I don't know.

I really wish I could go tomorrow. Ugh. I would have proudly flown my Texans flag. High enough for all to see...

Nitro,

ENJOY watching left behind old COWpatties FLY every which way! (http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978165700)

mexican_texan
04-11-2010, 09:03 AM
I really like this implosion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX3gYiQ3tww

GuerillaBlack
04-11-2010, 09:26 AM

Because there are plans for the Astrodome (movie studio).

Wolf
04-11-2010, 10:29 AM
well Jones will make some money still

The state already has a 10-year lease to use the property as a staging area for a highway construction project.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-texasstadiumimplosion

StarStruck
04-11-2010, 10:35 AM
I planned to see if implosion would be on one of the news stations this morning, but sleep won out.

Hoss
04-11-2010, 10:40 AM
:jam:

CloakNNNdagger
04-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Because there are plans for the Astrodome (movie studio).

How many years have we heard this?..........and, we Houstonians are still paying through the nose every year. Reliable sources have told me that ScotTrade's competitor will be beginning the Astrodome's transformation into a UNICORN FARM before the November elections. These are exciting times. The source is quoted to say, "This will bring in HUNDREDS of dollars to Houston's economy............you can take that to the bank!"

gwallaia
04-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Another view of the implosion.

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/Replay-Texas-Stadium-implosion-90561859.html

GuerillaBlack
04-11-2010, 12:48 PM
How many years have we heard this?..........and, we Houstonians are still paying through the nose every year. Reliable sources have told me that ScotTrade's competitor will be beginning the Astrodome's transformation into a UNICORN FARM before the November elections. These are exciting times. The source is quoted to say, "This will bring in HUNDREDS of dollars to Houston's economy............you can take that to the bank!"

Not too long, and stuff like this takes time. It was suppose to become a hotel like the Gaylord, then some space theme, and now movie studio (the best idea). It's easy to be demolished. Especially when you're surrounded by nothing but freeways like Texas Stadium was.

Texan_Bill
04-11-2010, 01:02 PM

The asbestos abatement process would be way too expensive (in the millions) for Harris County - just to tear it down.

ChampionTexan
04-11-2010, 01:08 PM
The asbestos abatement process would be way too expensive (in the millions) for Harris County - just to tear it down.

First comment - you're absolutely correct, and that essentially means it has become a toxic waste dump.

Second comment - given the first comment, the Astro's should still be playing there (or more accurately - playing there again).

CloakNNNdagger
04-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Not too long, and stuff like this takes time. It was suppose to become a hotel like the Gaylord, then some space theme, and now movie studio (the best idea). It's easy to be demolished. Especially when you're surrounded by nothing but freeways like Texas Stadium was.

It's costing taxpayers close to $4 million a year to just maintain the ruins. It may not mean much to you, but it does to many. City planners have estimated that in order to bring the Astrodome up to present day code, it will take approximately $50 millions dollars..........and that's only with gutting it and leaving it as a glorified floor with a hat on it. The movie idea was talked about as far back as 4 years ago..........not one penny of commitment has ever come from it and never will. To make the Astrodome into anything beyond the sombrero-covered concrete, it has been estimated that anywhere from $150 and $300 million would be the base cost. That's why it's still barely standing there with rats rather than humans as visitors, and why the politicians, as long as we're willing to shell out good money after bad, will allow it to do so until crumbles.

GuerillaBlack
04-11-2010, 02:13 PM
It's costing taxpayers close to $4 million a year to just maintain the ruins. It may not mean much to you, but it does to many. City planners have estimated that in order to bring the Astrodome up to present day code, it will take approximately $50 millions dollars..........and that's only with gutting it and leaving it as a glorified floor with a hat on it. The movie idea was talked about as far back as 4 years ago..........not one penny of commitment has ever come from it and never will. To make the Astrodome into anything beyond the sombrero-covered concrete, it has been estimated that anywhere from $150 and $300 million would be the base cost. That's why it's still barely standing there with rats rather than humans as visitors, and why the politicians, as long as we're willing to shell out good money after bad, will allow it to do so until crumbles.

Thank Bud Adams.

But, hopefully they build that movie studio in there quick, so residents' tax dollars won't be spent on it. And I just heard about the movie studio idea two years ago. Before that, it was suppose to be a hotel like the Gaylord and they even had a few renderings.

WWJD
04-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Thank Bud Adams.

But, hopefully they build that movie studio in there quick, so residents' tax dollars won't be spent on it. And I just heard about the movie studio idea two years ago. Before that, it was suppose to be a hotel like the Gaylord and they even had a few renderings.

Look at the posts above yours..Bill said it would cost too much because of the asbestos issue and he would know.

C & D gave you monetary examples of the cost to put anything in there.

I think that movie studio is a pie in the sky dream at this point. Shame too. It's not going anywhere but there is nothing going in there either.

GuerillaBlack
04-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Look at the posts above yours..Bill said it would cost too much because of the asbestos issue and he would know.

C & D gave you monetary examples of the cost to put anything in there.

I think that movie studio is a pie in the sky dream at this point. Shame too. It's not going anywhere but there is nothing going in there either.

I just don't want the dome to be demolished, but if that is what saves everyone money, then that's the best option. Movie studio idea would help out the most though and add something else new for Houston's economy.

TexanSam
04-11-2010, 03:07 PM
This is the best video I've found of the demolition. Very clear and crisp and perfect view

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydZCjwQRuQk

WWJD
04-11-2010, 03:16 PM
I just don't want the dome to be demolished, but if that is what saves everyone money, then that's the best option. Movie studio idea would help out the most though and add something else new for Houston's economy.

I don't think it will be demolished but sit and rot as CND said....too much money involved to make it into anything else. And it's not safe.

It was totally different with Texas Stadium. I don't think there was any doubt the instance the Cowboys got into their new stadium that it would be anything but demolished. They demolished Reunion Arena in downtown Dallas last year as well. Out with the old I guess...

headsplint
04-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Such a beautiful sight. Should have gone ahead and blown that other sumbitch up along with it.

TigerV1
04-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I made it out there this morning and was able to get a pretty good spot. I shot this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucx_x9jmKoo

It was a pretty cool experience even if it was Texas Stadium.

JB
04-11-2010, 08:51 PM
I made it out there this morning and was able to get a pretty good spot. I shot this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucx_x9jmKoo

It was a pretty cool experience even if it was Texas Stadium.

That was cool! Thanks and repped!

SheTexan
04-11-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm usually a sentimental old fool, but, that is exactly what needs to happen to the Dome. Spend the money to do what ya gotta do to prepare the thing for demolition. All good things eventually come to an end.

WWJD
04-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm usually a sentimental old fool, but, that is exactly what needs to happen to the Dome. Spend the money to do what ya gotta do to prepare the thing for demolition. All good things eventually come to an end.

Correction..you're a sentimental YOUNG lady.

I am the same. It was hard to watch that. I have alot of great memories at Texas Stadium despite her poor condition. But it was rotting and time to go. Nothing else to do but destroy it.

Texan_Bill
04-12-2010, 08:27 AM

So the tax payers should foot the bill for the abatement on a stadium that's not even paid for yet? If they spend money on the thing, it should be for a way to improve it so that it can draw revenue. Spending millions to get it ready to spend millions more to blow up ain't fair to the taxpayers of Harris County.

Battle Red Flash
04-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Time to implode the Astrodome! I used to want to do something with it, but it's been far too long. Knock it down.

WWJD
04-12-2010, 04:44 PM
I wonder what the majority of Houstonians think about getting rid of the Dome. It's an iconic structure for sure but it is an eyesore and it's sad to think about it's current condition.

TEXANS84
04-12-2010, 04:54 PM
I wonder what the majority of Houstonians think about getting rid of the Dome. It's an iconic structure for sure but it is an eyesore and it's sad to think about it's current condition.

For the past two years its been condemned....so there really isn't any use for it anymore. If they manage to get it back to where events and things like that can take place, by all means keep it. But the current situation to where it is right now...it needs to go. And it's really hard to say that because walking into Reliant Stadium...its always great to look at the old dome and remember the times going when we were all younger.

Back to the "implosion", I can't believe I woke up on Sunday morning and they were setting off tons of fireworks followed by the implosion around 7'ish in the morning live on NFL network. I would have been pissed off if I lived near Irving to have that as my alarm clock.

WWJD
04-12-2010, 05:11 PM
For the past two years its been condemned....so there really isn't any use for it anymore. If they manage to get it back to where events and things like that can take place, by all means keep it. But the current situation to where it is right now...it needs to go. And it's really hard to say that because walking into Reliant Stadium...its always great to look at the old dome and remember the times going when we were all younger.

Back to the "implosion", I can't believe I woke up on Sunday morning and they were setting off tons of fireworks followed by the implosion around 7'ish in the morning live on NFL network. I would have been pissed off if I lived near Irving to have that as my alarm clock.

Hmmm..wonder what the new mayor thinks about the Dome. It really is very sad the condition it's in because of all it's meant to Houston. It is nice to have fun memories in a place like that.

It's amazing to watch an implosion. All the work that goes into doing that and it's over in a minute.

CloakNNNdagger
04-12-2010, 05:19 PM
So the tax payers should foot the bill for the abatement on a stadium that's not even paid for yet? If they spend money on the thing, it should be for a way to improve it so that it can draw revenue. Spending millions to get it ready to spend millions more to blow up ain't fair to the taxpayers of Harris County.

Bill,

You mentioned abatement before. This is a real and costly problem.

I don't know if you or others remember a whole square block just west of Fannin (near the med center), the entire area between OST and Braeswood. There stood huge complexes of condemned abandoned dilapidated apartments which for at least 10 years were inhabited only by rats and crack heads. Everyone wondered why they were just standing there with someone obviously paying big buck taxes on this nonproductive land. Well, all of the apartments were ladened with asbestos, and it was related to me early on that it would be a monumental task and a huge cost to abate the structures. And that's why they were still standing. Funny thing, one day, almost over night, an army of large buldozers came in, knocked all the structures down in this massive complex................and no tents, no signs of any abatement. I asked myself how could this ever happen? I later found out that there was big time under the table political money deals that "allowed" it to happen...............even so, cheaper in the long run than if abatement were carried out as prescribed by law.

pbat488
05-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Didn't want to start a new thread so bringing this one back...

Here's a video taken from inside Texas Stadium during the demolition... seems cool, until you realize it's in THREE DIMENSIONS!!! You can fully move around throughout the video, which is pretty awesome.

I suggest watching ground level and then when it pauses and restarts maybe try straight up, you might like it :evil:

Anyways, ENJOY!!! (http://gizmodo.com/5517106/what-its-like-to-stand-inside-an-imploding-stadium-)

Kulluminatii
05-04-2010, 02:36 AM
Wow man, that was amazing!