PDA

View Full Version : Texans re-sign Moats

redwhiteANDblue
04-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Didn't see it up on the boards so here it is!

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36233065/ns/sports-player_news/

dalemurphy
04-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I think it's just the signing of his RFA tender.

Thorn
04-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Moats the Mediocre Man. This signing does nothing for me.

BIG TORO
04-07-2010, 06:17 PM
I like this guy, Im happy to me he runs with purpose.

Ryan82
04-07-2010, 06:35 PM
If Moats put on 10-15 pounds the way he runs, his professional career could turn out nicely.

kiwitexansfan
04-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Best case scenario for the Texans is he gets beaten out in training camp.

If he is on the roster come regular season, I think things haven't gone as planned.

CloakNNNdagger
04-07-2010, 07:25 PM
I think it's just the signing of his RFA tender.

You're correct: Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6948408.html)

Running back Ryan Moats made sure he'll be part of the competition in the Texans' crowded backfield by signing his tender on Wednesday.

Moats, a fifth-year restricted free agent, will earn a one-year contract of $1.226 million if he makes the team.

Moats, 27, Steve Slaton, Arian Foster and Jeremiah Johnson are running backs who are expected to be joined in the backfield by a high draft choice.

Moats, a third-round pick by Philadelphia in 2005, came to the Texans during the 2008 season.

Texans_Chick
04-07-2010, 08:38 PM
If Moats put on 10-15 pounds the way he runs, his professional career could turn out nicely.

The dude is very small--he's about my height. He's extremely muscled up, with super long arms for his size. He has no room to put on more weight.

Super nice guy.

Thorn
04-07-2010, 08:41 PM
If Slaton can return to his rookie year form, we get a nice back in the draft and Foster can continue what he did in the last couple of games last year, we'll have a nice set of RBs.

drewmar74
04-07-2010, 08:42 PM
If Slaton can return to his rookie year form, we get a nice back in the draft and Foster can continue what he did in the last couple of games last year, we'll have a nice set of RBs.

Those are two really big if's, though.....

The Pencil Neck
04-07-2010, 08:42 PM

And just think if Jeremiah Johnson comes in healthy and hungry.

We could have a really nice set of RBs. And we NEED a really nice set of RBs.

Thorn
04-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Those are two really big if's, though.....

We can get a good RB in the first 3 rounds, but I think Foster has a better chance of doing good than Slaton. I just don't trust Slaton's neck injury to heal. I sure do hope I'm wrong about that, because Slayton in good from and a nice new RB we could actually run the ball for a change.

drewmar74
04-07-2010, 08:49 PM
We can get a good RB in the first 3 rounds, but I think Foster has a better chance of doing good than Slaton. I just don't trust Slaton's neck injury to heal. I sure do hope I'm wrong about that, because Slayton in good from and a nice new RB we could actually run the ball for a change.

That, to me, is the biggest "if."

I'd love it if he did come back.... but that's a scary injury.

Oh, when are we re-signing Chris Brown? [/sarcasm]

thunderkyss
04-07-2010, 08:56 PM
I like Moats. I think he's a fine substitute for Slaton, if Steve can't play.

& by substitute, I mean as a third down back.

I don't see the point of having SS & Moats on the team, provided we do take a RB high in the draft.

JB
04-07-2010, 08:56 PM

You must have had a shot before that last sentence! :lol: :drunk:

Thorn
04-07-2010, 09:00 PM
You must have had a shot before that last sentence! :lol: :drunk:

That's what happens when you hit submit before reading what you just typed. LOL

JB
04-07-2010, 09:08 PM
That's what happens when you hit submit before reading what you just typed. LOL

Just pokin bud, we all know about my fat fingers...

redwhiteANDblue
04-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Foster is the guy. Look at the last 3 games. We actually had a decent running game and those numbers are perfect for our offense. He's a pile mover and great for the redzone. No need to use him much anywhere else besides the RZ and killing the clock. WE are a passing team and we have to accept that. Colts and Chargers were both successful with crappy rushing attacks. Our O-linemen are great pass protectors, WRs are one of the best in the league, and we got a top 5 QB! Thats a foundation of a passing attack and we should just build on that.. Now I'm all for drafting a RB but becoming a dominant rushing team is just not what we do. We won't become the next Jets or the Colts would've done tht years ago.

JB
04-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Foster is the guy. Look at the last 3 games. We actually had a decent running game and those numbers are perfect for our offense. He's a pile mover and great for the redzone. No need to use him much anywhere else besides the RZ and killing the clock. WE are a passing team and we have to accept that. Colts and Chargers were both successful with crappy rushing attacks. Our O-linemen are great pass protectors, WRs are one of the best in the league, and we got a top 5 QB! Thats a foundation of a passing attack and we should just build on that.. Now I'm all for drafting a RB but becoming a dominant rushing team is just not what we do. We won't become the next Jets or the Colts would've done tht years ago.

And you are willing to bet next season on that?

The Pencil Neck
04-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Now I'm all for drafting a RB but becoming a dominant rushing team is just not what we do.

But becoming a dominant rushing team is Kubiak's goal. Being a dominant running attack is what his offense is built on.

He's been creative enough to make the offense work in a pass-first mode, but that's not what he wants this team to do at all. He only wants Matt dropping back 20-25 times a game (as opposed to 36 attempts a game last year). And if we had a dominant rushing attack combined with Matt's play action skillz, he'd be lighting some people up in those 20-25 attempts.

redwhiteANDblue
04-07-2010, 09:20 PM

Well no, that why I said I'm all for drafting a 2nd round RB. We NEED a CB in the first so no dodging that one. I'm just saying we're not going to jump from the 29th (correct me if I'm wrong on that rank) to the top 10 in rushing like everyone wants. We move the ball when we pass and when Texans move the ball I'm a happy man

Thorn
04-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Well no, that why I said I'm all for drafting a 2nd round RB. We NEED a CB in the first so no dodging that one. I'm just saying we're not going to jump from the 29th (correct me if I'm wrong on that rank) to the top 10 in rushing like everyone wants. We move the ball when we pass and when Texans move the ball I'm a happy man

I could be quite happy with an NFL "average" rushing team with our passing offense.

JB
04-07-2010, 09:28 PM

The second bolded sentence does not relate to your first post at all! Your first bolded sentence is as close as it comes, and that is pure nonsense!

redwhiteANDblue
04-07-2010, 09:46 PM
The second bolded sentence does not relate to your first post at all! Your first bolded sentence is as close as it comes, and that is pure nonsense!

No disrespect. Everything I said is related to my first post. The second sentence was just a side note, or an explanation for why I said 2nd round RB instead of 1st. My main point is we won't dramatically change like everyone wants. Our offense was better than any of the past years and why? Because we have the lethal weapons for a passing attack! Manning wishes he was in Schaub's position. and please sir, go ahead and explain me what you found was nonsense.

Texan_Bill
04-07-2010, 09:59 PM
1989 Oilers:

Mike Rozier
Allen Pinkett
Alonzo Highsmith
Lorenzo White
Tracy Johnson........ Who????

Point being, you can carry several running backs.. And sometimes as a tandom, they can all be productive.

Slaton / (new down hill runner via draft)
Ryan Moats
Arian Foster.

Not unreasonable.

JB
04-07-2010, 10:16 PM
No disrespect. Everything I said is related to my first post. The second sentence was just a side note, or an explanation for why I said 2nd round RB instead of 1st. My main point is we won't dramatically change like everyone wants. Our offense was better than any of the past years and why? Because we have the lethal weapons for a passing attack! Manning wishes he was in Schaub's position. and please sir, go ahead and explain me what you found was nonsense.

First, never did you mention a 2nd round Rb. And your comment that but becoming a dominant rushing team is just not what we do. is toal nonsense and goes against the grain of everything that Kubiak has said since he has been a Texan.

Norg
04-07-2010, 10:22 PM
i dont trust slaton either

i like Moats and Foster and this new guy has our Primary RB along withg maybe who ever we draft

JB
04-07-2010, 10:28 PM
i dont trust slaton either

i like Moats and Foster and this new guy has our Primary RB along withg maybe who ever we draft

are you and slatonisabeast first cousins?

redwhiteANDblue
04-07-2010, 10:29 PM
First, never did you mention a 2nd round Rb. And your comment that is toal nonsense and goes against the grain of everything that Kubiak has said since he has been a Texan.

Who knows? Maybe his philosophy has changed. Sure does look like it and he would be unwise not take advantage of his #1 pass offense. And your wrong again. I DID say 2nd round RB.

JB
04-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Who knows? Maybe his philosophy has changed. Sure does look like it and he would be unwise not take advantage of his #1 pass offense. And your wrong again. I DID say 2nd round RB.

When & where?

Carr Bombed
04-07-2010, 11:15 PM
WHY!:thumbdown

I've bagged this guy for a couple of years now.....if this guy makes it out of camp Houston is IN TROUBLE. UDFAs have more talent than Moats, he's EXTREMELY overvalued around here. Solid rotation guy.....maybe at best, he was only that on a extremely shallow RB depth chart. Solid rotation guy on a playoff team...nope. Hopefully people we pick up/draft put him on the street..much like Chris Myers.

Moats is too small and too slow. You can either be big and slow (but powerful) or small and fast....Moats is both of the wrong things. He's extremely ordinary, we can find his talent in the 6th round.

NitroGSXR
04-08-2010, 12:02 AM
1989 Oilers:

Mike Rozier
Allen Pinkett
Alonzo Highsmith
Lorenzo White
Tracy Johnson........ Who????

Point being, you can carry several running backs.. And sometimes as a tandom, they can all be productive.

Slaton / (new down hill runner via draft)
Ryan Moats
Arian Foster.

Not unreasonable.

Oh my! Blast from the past! I vaguely remember Earl Campbell but it was this group of RBs when I was old enough to understand the team and workings of the football game.

Mike Rozier! Allen Pinkett! Wow! Great tandem! I went to one of the first if not Highsmith's first boxing match at some hotel here in Houston. Embassy Suites maybe? Lorenzo White! FTW!

Thanks for the memories.

The Moats signing... errrr. Whatever. We need improvement. He needs to be pushed off the roster. I'd like for us to find somebody to supplant him. Not a fan of Ryan Moats. Upstanding citizen though.

barrett
04-08-2010, 02:38 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJJiHPqy8xE) is our guy.

bckey
04-08-2010, 05:20 AM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJJiHPqy8xE) is our guy.

If you go by his combine numbers I guess but I'd rather have Gerhart or Dwyer. Hardesty couldn't beat out Arian Foster at Tennessee and was only healthy for 1 year, his senior year. To me the risk factor out weighs the reward with this guy. Running backs tend to have short enough careers as it is in the NFL.

xreadx
04-08-2010, 07:20 AM
I liked watching moats run the ball, I think hes a great "backup" back. Imb glad they got rid of Chris i fall down Brown! i used to get pissed when he would take the field. Id rather them pick a random fan to run the football, you would probably have better results!

TimeKiller
04-08-2010, 07:35 AM
We need Chris Brown for blocking.

And passing. You know our "Versatile" back.....um who? F*ck James Casey I hope he never plays.

xreadx
04-08-2010, 07:45 AM
so why did they hand the ball for his avg of 3.4 yards...im still likeing the price is right runningback. "section 125 row M seat ? come on down your the next replacement for Chris Brownnnn!"

GP
04-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Arian Foster is Jonathan Wells, but with decent moves/balance/agility/burst.

I honestly can sit here and say that I will lay down a $5 or $10 bet with any one person on here that we are NOT going to draft a running back in the first round.

2nd round? That's iffy. I still don't think we would draft one in the 2nd, either.

I see Kubiak re-signing Moats this early, and it appears he's happy with Moats. He's going to try Foster some more. Slaton is a question mark. Kubiak will add one or two more camp bodies at RB. And last year he did it via UDFA instead of drafting one at all.

redwhiteANDblue
04-08-2010, 07:52 AM

Right here in this paragraph. Actually, you even highlighted it.

JB
04-08-2010, 08:00 AM

Right here in this paragraph. Actually, you even highlighted it.

If you look at your first post, you never mentioned drafting a RB in the 2nd. And yet you are insisting that you did?

El Tejano
04-08-2010, 08:22 AM
I don't know. Sometimes Moats showed me that it wasn't the OLs fault for not getting run yards. Right off the bat I can think of how Slaton wasn't doing crap behind the OL in The Raiders game and then Moats comes in and gets like 5 yards a pop. He also didn't play a full 4 quarters as the starter in Buffalo (I know I know. It's Buffalo) and he managed to get 4 TDs and 125 yds. If you recall Steve Slaton wasn't having a good showing before that. Now Steve's injuries may have been a part of it, but the point is that Moats wasn't really a bad back for us and he makes for good depth.

JCTexan
04-08-2010, 08:28 AM

That's why you draft a RB early. The Texans were 13th in rushing in 2008 (4th in passing), Slaton carried most of the load (1,282 yards rushing). He had a huge drop off in 2009 (437 yards rushing) making the Texans go from a top 13 rushing attack to 30th in rushing. One guy can get the Texans in the top half of the league in rushing. I would definitely draft a RB early if I was the GM, and would think long and hard about adding another later in the draft.

El Tejano
04-08-2010, 09:42 AM
That's why you draft a RB early. The Texans were 13th in rushing in 2008 (4th in passing), Slaton carried most of the load (1,282 yards rushing). He had a huge drop off in 2009 (437 yards rushing) making the Texans go from a top 13 rushing attack to 30th in rushing. One guy can get the Texans in the top half of the league in rushing. I would definitely draft a RB early if I was the GM, and would think long and hard about adding another later in the draft.

But it wasn't just one dude. You really have to consider that Briesel and Pitts weren't there. When they were in 08, you can see alot of Slaton's runs were on Briesel's side (look at the Denver game and the last Tenn game in 08).

I don't think you have to go round 1 with a running back but you gotta go higher than normal this year because there are some real good RBs in round 2.

MightyTExan
04-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Too many "what-ifs" for our current RB's. Just do like other teams do and draft a friggin' beast.

BigBull17
04-08-2010, 10:51 AM

You cant go into a draft with a mindframe like that. What if all the 1st round graded CB's are gone? You can't over-reach.

He doesn't have the frame for 10-15 lb's. Slaton did just that, and he looked awfull last year.

HuttoKarl
04-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Ryan Mathews solves our problem of not having a good RB. Ben Tate solves it in a slightly later round.

I don't trust any of our current RB's to shoulder the load for a full season.

badboy
04-08-2010, 11:33 AM
I liked watching moats run the ball, I think hes a great "backup" back. Imb glad they got rid of Chris i fall down Brown! i used to get pissed when he would take the field. Id rather them pick a random fan to run the football, you would probably have better results!Attention Reliant Stadium! Attention! Will Mr. Brad Jones Aisle 14 seat 22 please report to the Texans sideline? You have been selected to be our guest runner today. Please use the barf bag in the seat in front of you to expel any beer you may have consumed and hopefully you passed on the chili cheese nachos. Once on the field, identify yourself to the offensive linemen who will be your blockers.

The Pencil Neck
04-08-2010, 11:37 AM
You really have to consider that Briesel and Pitts weren't there.

I don't think you do because our running game was looking like ass WITH those guys in the line up. Their injuries are easy to point to and say "THAT's why we weren't running good" but the fact is that our problem existed before that. And it existed because Slaton wasn't running as good as he had been running his rookie season.

Section516
04-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Attention Reliant Stadium! Attention! Will Mr. Brad Jones Aisle 14 seat 22 please report to the Texans sideline? You have been selected to be our guest runner today. Please use the barf bag in the seat in front of you to expel any beer you may have consumed and hopefully you passed on the chili cheese nachos. Once on the field, identify yourself to the offensive linemen who will be your blockers.

I'd pull a Charles Spencer on Chris Myers..

thunderkyss
04-08-2010, 01:58 PM
WE are a passing team and we have to accept that. Colts and Chargers were both successful with crappy rushing attacks.

Now I'm all for drafting a RB but becoming a dominant rushing team is just not what we do. We won't become the next Jets or the Colts would've done tht years ago.

First, the Jets aren't crap.

Second, while the Colts, Eagles, & Chargers have been successful, they have trouble winning in the play-offs, when they aren't balanced.

I don't think anyone has said that we need to be a dominant run team, not even Kubiak. But when we want to run the ball, we need to be able to more times than not. When we need a yard, more times than not, we need to get that yard.

sandman
04-08-2010, 02:15 PM
If you look at your first post, you never mentioned drafting a RB in the 2nd. And yet you are insisting that you did?

Would one of you just let the other win this internets argument so the thread can move on?

sandman
04-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Second, while the Colts, Eagles, & Chargers have been successful, they have trouble winning in the play-offs, when they aren't balanced.

This. Unless of course we are all going to be happy with just getting to the playoffs.

threetoedpete
04-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Moats the Mediocre Man. This signing does nothing for me.

that's cap friendly Mediocre man to you. And smile when you post it.

threetoedpete
04-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Ryan Mathews solves our problem of not having a good RB. Ben Tate solves it in a slightly later round.

I don't trust any of our current RB's to shoulder the load for a full season.

I could be wrong. But I believe what Kubiak is trying to accomplish is one lead guy. One back up and one banger. In a sixty play game the best case is we'll have thirty to thirty-five rushes. We throw the ball to set up the zbs rushes. So if you are dividing the touches between the three guys, one guy is going to have fifteen to seventeen touches. One guy is going to get seven to eight touches and one guy is going to get three or four. Leach gets his two or three swing passes a game. Mathews will battle it out week to week during practice with Slaton and Foster to see who the bell cow will be for the week. The hot hand and the sure hands gets the most touches. I expect to see all three have great success. And all three to be chained in front of the dog house before the season is over. But a blanket statement that one guy will solve all the problems, is a bit of a reach. You may not agree with it but Kubiak has a way of doing things. The only leverage he has on these guys is playing time. Slaton got his shot at the big contract last year. It'll be interesting to see how he bounces this season. If they do take the running back in the first two picks, he'll have them like a pack of junk yard dogs by September. And then we'll find out which comes first, the chicken or the egg ? What is going to be interesting if both Mathews and Iupati are sitting there and they have to make a choice. Inside out or outside in ?

wagonhed
04-08-2010, 09:06 PM
I could be wrong. But I believe what Kubiak is trying to accomplish is one lead guy. One back up and one banger. In a sixty play game the best case is we'll have thirty to thirty-five rushes. We throw the ball to set up the zbs rushes. So if you are dividing the touches between the three guys, one guy is going to have fifteen to seventeen touches. One guy is going to get seven to eight touches and one guy is going to get three or four. Leach gets his two or three swing passes a game. Mathews will battle it out week to week during practice with Slaton and Foster to see who the bell cow will be for the week. The hot hand and the sure hands gets the most touches. I expect to see all three have great success. And all three to be chained in front of the dog house before the season is over. But a blanket statement that one guy will solve all the problems, is a bit of a reach. You may not agree with it but Kubiak has a way of doing things. The only leverage he has on these guys is playing time. Slaton got his shot at the big contract last year. It'll be interesting to see how he bounces this season. If they do take the running back in the first two picks, he'll have them like a pack of junk yard dogs by September. And then we'll find out which comes first, the chicken or the egg ? What is going to be interesting if both Mathews and Iupati are sitting there and they have to make a choice. Inside out or outside in ?
I think you just set the all-time record for most metaphors in a single paragraph.

ObsiWan
04-08-2010, 11:07 PM

I hope it's inside out.
I want our O-line to move guys like this thing moves dirt
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qUFDMUpk9jE/SZlGmZ2lueI/AAAAAAAAPnU/zeirBCIRhyE/s400/26_CaterpillarBulldozerD11R-795078.jpg

Carr Bombed
04-09-2010, 12:17 AM
I liked watching moats run the ball, I think hes a great "backup" back. Imb glad they got rid of Chris i fall down Brown! i used to get pissed when he would take the field. Id rather them pick a random fan to run the football, you would probably have better results!

In today's league (2 back league)....NOTHING about Moats said "great backup back". The guy is ordinary at best and represents how weak the depth is at that position.

Carr Bombed
04-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Arian Foster is Jonathan Wells, but with decent moves/balance/agility/burst.

I honestly can sit here and say that I will lay down a $5 or $10 bet with any one person on here that we are NOT going to draft a running back in the first round.

2nd round? That's iffy. I still don't think we would draft one in the 2nd, either.

I see Kubiak re-signing Moats this early, and it appears he's happy with Moats. He's going to try Foster some more. Slaton is a question mark. Kubiak will add one or two more camp bodies at RB. And last year he did it via UDFA instead of drafting one at all.

RB isn't our biggest need right now, off the bat....CB, DT, and OG/C.

I couldn't hate on the team if they took any of those positions ahead of a RB. Also don't see the Foster/Wells comparison at all. Foster ran hard through contact when given a chance..(Something Wells NEVER DID)..Wells went down at first contact all the time. The only thing they have in common is size...everything else, not really comparable.

lol, I mean even you said "Arian Foster is Jonathan Wells, but with decent moves/balance/agility/burst." Well heck, if he's better in 4 different catagories....then he's not the same player. I don't understand why fans are afraid of trusting a guy because of where he was drafted. It's the same people that compare Foster to Taylor. Foster is NOT Taylor, just because we had flame outs before that doesn't mean every player we pick up later is destined to "flame out". Let Foster write his own book. I'm not saying he's going to be the "franchise back", but I'm sure he'll be better than Wells or Taylor.

thunderkyss
04-09-2010, 08:18 AM
I don't understand why fans are afraid of trusting a guy because of where he was drafted. It's the same people that compare Foster to Taylor. Foster is NOT Taylor, just because we had flame outs before that doesn't mean every player we pick up later is destined to "flame out". Let Foster write his own book. I'm not saying he's going to be the "franchise back", but I'm sure he'll be better than Wells or Taylor.

First, I agree with your reasoning. Willie Parker did a great job for the Steelers, for a while. But when Willie Parker got on the field, it didn't take long, and it didn't matter who they played, you could see he had something special. "Fast" Willie Parker.

Even Steve Slaton behind basically the same line last year, you could see he was special from day one. Speed, vision, burst... if he were bigger, I have no doubt he would have been a first round back (this assumes that bigger = more durable).

With Foster, I'm not seeing anything "special." He's got decent vision, and decent power. I actually like Moats better. He's got great speed (I thought he was faster than Slaton, both this year & last), and good vision.

It's understandable, to me, why he went undrafted. I do believe his gametime performances from last year has earned him a spot on the 53, but he isn't Steve Slaton's replacement, he isn't our playmaker out of the backfield.

I think if we are serious about winning a championship, we've got to get a playmaker in the backfield, more than we need a playmaker at DT, or CB.

We can hope SS comes back. We can hope Arian Foster can get it done consistently. We can hope Jerimiah Johnson is exactly what we needed & putting him on IR is the smartest thing we have ever done. We can hope Chris Henry can be the guy he was supposed to be.

well, I just talked myself out of drafting a RB early. We need to draft Iupati, which would help our chances of having success with at least one of our prospects SS, Foster, JJ, Henry, Moats, a RB from the 3rd (Gerhardt? Tate?) and another UDFA.

badboy
04-09-2010, 12:37 PM
First, I agree with your reasoning. Willie Parker did a great job for the Steelers, for a while. But when Willie Parker got on the field, it didn't take long, and it didn't matter who they played, you could see he had something special. "Fast" Willie Parker.

Even Steve Slaton behind basically the same line last year, you could see he was special from day one. Speed, vision, burst... if he were bigger, I have no doubt he would have been a first round back (this assumes that bigger = more durable).

With Foster, I'm not seeing anything "special." He's got decent vision, and decent power. I actually like Moats better. He's got great speed (I thought he was faster than Slaton, both this year & last), and good vision.

It's understandable, to me, why he went undrafted. I do believe his gametime performances from last year has earned him a spot on the 53, but he isn't Steve Slaton's replacement, he isn't our playmaker out of the backfield.

I think if we are serious about winning a championship, we've got to get a playmaker in the backfield, more than we need a playmaker at DT, or CB.

We can hope SS comes back. We can hope Arian Foster can get it done consistently. We can hope Jerimiah Johnson is exactly what we needed & putting him on IR is the smartest thing we have ever done. We can hope Chris Henry can be the guy he was supposed to be.

well, I just talked myself out of drafting a RB early. We need to draft Iupati, which would help our chances of having success with at least one of our prospects SS, Foster, JJ, Henry, Moats, a RB from the 3rd (Gerhardt? Tate?) and another UDFA.I agree with most you write. However most agree that Gerhart and/or Tate will be available in 2nd & could fill our RB need. We then look at CB versus interior line. Just last night on NFL Total Access Pouncy was discussed as more able to step in game one and play than Iupati. While BeerLover, Rmartin65 & my mock identify need for Oline it is much later in draft. I think our line starters are already on roster. Cornerback over OL @20, but Earl Thomas over CB if there at #20.

Carr Bombed
04-10-2010, 04:36 PM

well, I just talked myself out of drafting a RB early. We need to draft Iupati, which would help our chances of having success with at least one of our prospects SS, Foster, JJ, Henry, Moats, a RB from the 3rd (Gerhardt? Tate?) and another UDFA.

Moats isn't faster than Slaton and isn't close to having "great speed". Moats didn't even have a 20 yard run last season. In his career which is 204 carries the guy has only had 3 runs over 20 yards.

In half the amount of carries, Foster pretty much matched Moats' production and even had a longer run on the season than Moats did. I'm not saying Foster is faster than Moats, but he's not that much slower either. Speed isn't everything (especially when you're small and don't have break away speed like Moats) and Foster can break tackles (something Moats can't do) and Foster is a down hill runner.

He can be a BIG player for us next year (Backs pop out of nowhere all the time and when given a chance Foster produced) and it's ridiculous people are writing him off because of Chris freaking Taylor.........FOSTER HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH CHRIS TAYLOR. He doesn't even know who Chris Taylor is. Chris Taylor has absolutely nothing to do with Foster's career.

Houston still needs to draft a back, but I wouldn't curse them if they didn't take one in the first. There are bigger needs on this team. Fix the Oline upfront and you can get production out of the backfield with lower picks for years to come. Get a CB, a FS, a DT. There are bigger needs on this team.

Backs like Ryan Moats can be found on the street all the time....he's nothing special and at 27, he'll never be anything special. Houston needs to get to the point where their backfield is so good that's he's nothing, but camp fodder and if he's anything more then that this year we're in trouble. Either Slaton doesn't rebound and make it back or our backs suck again.

thunderkyss
04-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Moats isn't faster than Slaton and isn't close to having "great speed". Moats didn't even have a 20 yard run last season. In his career which is 204 carries the guy has only had 3 runs over 20 yards.

You've stated your case. Made very good points. I'm still not convinced. My eye tells me Moats is a fast little booger.

What say the rest of you, is Moats as fast (if not faster) than Slaton?

In half the amount of carries, Foster pretty much matched Moats' production and even had a longer run on the season than Moats did.

Don't try to sell me on Foster. As far as I'm concerned, I think he's earned his spot on the team already. I'm not looking at this as a Moats vs Foster thing. Foster is on... Moats needs to fight for a spot.

Backs like Ryan Moats can be found on the street all the time....he's nothing special and at 27, he'll never be anything special. Houston needs to get to the point where their backfield is so good that's he's nothing, but camp fodder and if he's anything more then that this year we're in trouble. Either Slaton doesn't rebound and make it back or our backs suck again.

I think you're in the same spot I am in. If Slaton makes it back, and can play day one..... Moats shouldn't be on our team.

If Jerimiah Johnson is able to play.. I'm not looking for Moats to make the team.

I'd love to have a 1st/2nd round back on the team. Then it would be New Guy, Foster, Slaton/JJ/Moats/Chris Henry

Carr Bombed
04-10-2010, 05:26 PM
You've stated your case. Made very good points. I'm still not convinced. My eye tells me Moats is a fast little booger.

2008 Slaton could run circles around Moats......added pounds 2009 Slaton is still a little bit faster than Moats

Don't try to sell me on Foster. As far as I'm concerned, I think he's earned his spot on the team already. I'm not looking at this as a Moats vs Foster thing. Foster is on... Moats needs to fight for a spot.

I'm not trying to sell you on Foster, everybody has their own opinion. I was just saying it's rediculous to sweep Foster under the rug, because of something a player a did here years ago. Chris Taylor has absolutely nothing to do with Foster and it annoys me when people bring up Taylor everytime Foster is brought up. Foster is better than Moats though......just on size alone he's a better player, not to mention he out produced him carry to carry wise.

I think you're in the same spot I am in. If Slaton makes it back, and can play day one..... Moats shouldn't be on our team.

Moats shouldn't be on the roster regardless if Slaton can play or not.....he's 27 years old and has never really "made it" in this league. Those roster spots should be reserved for young backs with "potential". Like I said above.....backs like Moats are a dime a dozen and we might as well try to find one younger. I'd rather take a shot on a young UDFA or late round pick.

The Pencil Neck
04-10-2010, 05:27 PM

First off, let me say that ALL these numbers come from CBS Sports.com. They don't sound exactly right to me.

But, with that said, at the Combine, Moats ran 4.46 and Slaton ran 4.45. I think Slaton slowed down last year and didn't look to have the same burst. OTOH, Moats has been doing this for 6 years now. He's probably not as fast now as he was back then.

In comparison, Arian Foster ran 4.68. Darius Walker was 4.55. Ron Dayne was a 4.65.

Mathews ran a 4.37 and Spiller ran a 4.27.

I don't know where CBS Sports got those numbers. They don't look like the official times. I don't know if they had their own guys out there with stop watches or what.

Carr Bombed
04-10-2010, 05:38 PM
First off, let me say that ALL these numbers come from CBS Sports.com. They don't sound exactly right to me.

But, with that said, at the Combine, Moats ran 4.46 and Slaton ran 4.45. I think Slaton slowed down last year and didn't look to have the same burst. OTOH, Moats has been doing this for 6 years now. He's probably not as fast now as he was back then.

In comparison, Arian Foster ran 4.68. Darius Walker was 4.55. Ron Dayne was a 4.65.

I don't know where CBS Sports got those numbers. They don't look like the official times. I don't know if they had their own guys out there with stop watches or what.

Slaton was probably somewhere in the neighborhood of the high 4.5s last season which is where Moats now runs at the age of 27. Slaton needs to get back to around 205 pounds and regain his explosiveness. That weight really hurt him last season.

thunderkyss
04-10-2010, 06:56 PM
2008 Slaton could run circles around Moats......added pounds 2009 Slaton is still a little bit faster than Moats

Point noted... again. I know where you stand, you know where I stand, let's let someone else chime in.

I'm not trying to sell you on Foster, everybody has their own opinion. I was just saying it's rediculous to sweep Foster under the rug, because of something a player a did here years ago.

Very well said, I agree. I never said anything contrary. When you reply to my post with that argument, I feel like you believe I said something I didn't. Do you see where I'm coming from on this subject?

I can't remember the last time I mentioned Chris Taylor.

Moats shouldn't be on the roster regardless if Slaton can play or not.....he's 27 years old and has never really "made it" in this league. Those roster spots should be reserved for young backs with "potential". Like I said above.....backs like Moats are a dime a dozen and we might as well try to find one younger. I'd rather take a shot on a young UDFA or late round pick.

Rookie RB, Arian Foster, Rookie RB.... yeah, I see what you're saying. I don't think it would happen. If I were running things, it wouldn't happen. It's nice, IMHO, to have someone on your roster, that you know what you're going to get.

Again, IMHO, Moats doesn't make the roster, if Slaton, Jerimiah Johnson, or Chris Taylor... oops, I meant Henry, can play.

thunderkyss
04-10-2010, 07:00 PM

Watching the game, is that what you see, when they're in full pads and all?

thunderkyss
04-10-2010, 07:02 PM
well hell,

Madden has Slaton with a speed of 92, and Moats with a speed of 88. I guess I'm wrong.

CloakNNNdagger
04-10-2010, 08:01 PM

We really didn't get a look at Henry last year. Henry was left out of the above comparisons. He ran a 4.40 at his 2007 Combine......and he bigger than both Slaton or Moats.........and even though is considered a one cut and run RB, he is an uphill runner that can drag tacklers for those extra needed yards, catch out of the back field, and pass block with the best of them. And he still has the potential break out speed. Sounds like the ideal Kubiak man........maybe that's why he was picked up and sat back........to be "groomed."

Carr Bombed
04-10-2010, 08:08 PM
We really didn't get a look at Henry last year. Henry was left out of the above comparisons. He ran a 4.40 at his 2007 Combine......and he bigger than both Slaton or Moats.........and even though is considered a one cut and run RB, he is an uphill runner that can drag tacklers for those extra needed yards, catch out of the back field, and pass block with the best of them. And he still has the potential break out speed. Sounds like the ideal Kubiak man........maybe that's why he was picked up and sat back........to be "groomed."

Chris Henry is a NFL athlete, but he's not a NFL player, that's why the Titans dumped him after spending a 2nd round pick on him. He's another "looks like Tarzan, but runs like Jane" player. (a faster Jonathan Wells) He's another guy who wouldn't be on this roster if we had depth at that position.

CloakNNNdagger
04-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Chris Henry is a NFL athlete, but he's not a NFL player, that's why the Titans dumped him after spending a 2nd round pick on him. He's another "looks like Tarzan, but runs like Jane" player. (a faster Jonathan Wells) He's another guy who wouldn't be on this roster if we had depth at that position.

Henry was far from a bust in 2007 and he was only given 1 carry in 2008. It is not a far reach to think that he could be "reborn" on a team like ours.

JB
04-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Henry was far from a bust in 2007 and he was only given 1 carry in 2008. It is not a far reach to think that he could be "reborn" on a team like ours.

In 2007 he had 31 carries for 119 yds. 3.8 ypc... not enough to be called not a bust, not a bust... but certainly bad for a mid 2nd pick

Thorn
04-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Im really tired of recycled players from the Titans. Id like to think we can do without them for the next season.

CloakNNNdagger
04-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Im really tired of recycled players from the Titans. Id like to think we can do without them for the next season.

I'm also tired of recycled RBs from the Titans. I'd also like to think we can do without them for the next season. Maybe we can go after recycled Colts RBs. That should really give us a boost in the running game.:backsout:

NitroGSXR
04-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Lol @ this thread reaching 4 pages. It's just a low tender signing. Nobody's crowning Ryan Moats anything. We're just getting our bases covered as much as we can. I'd be more inclined to debate/worry about this if Moats makes the 53 man roster.

I'm just really excited about the draft. I kinda smell a blockbuster trade somehow for the Houston Texans prior to the draft.

I'm banking on Moats not making the team but if he makes it... I guess he's serviceable enough. We'll need to teach our linemen to better play "grab the bacon". Dropsy McFumbles.