PDA

View Full Version : McClain says RB> O-Line

Yankee_In_TX
04-07-2010, 11:02 AM
On 610 today a caller asked what McClain though about fixing the O-line, citing them as the reason we failed to get 1 yard several times last year.

McClain said nothing to fix, the O-Line was great in 08, injuries hurt them in 09. All we need is a good RB and we'll have a great running game.

Correct me if I am mistaken - Pitts was hurt and is now gone. Briesel was the other major injury.

So essentially McClain is implying (or I am inferring) if we put Briesel back and draft a 1st round running back, we'll have a great running game? And the fact our O-line got pushed back time after time last year goes away or is fixed....???

El Tejano
04-07-2010, 11:07 AM
You just have to look at the two times we couldn't get the TD from the 1 and ask yourself who really did bad. I'm sorry but the OL wasn't pushing jack and we barely could get a 100 yard rusher. We did it only 3 times.

Errant Hothy
04-07-2010, 11:08 AM
McClain...'niff said, right?

JB
04-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Haven't you learned by now? McClain has no more insight than 98% of the members of this board. He has no inside info from the Texans and his speculations and rumblings are clueless. Check his pre-draft quotes from last year.

houstonspartan
04-07-2010, 11:13 AM
You've got to be kidding me? He actually said that?

I had a friend from out of town ramble to me right after the season, "You guys need a running back, that's all you guys really need, blah, blah, blah..."

I had to stop her mid-sentence. I said, "Look, sure, we need a running back. But anyone who takes a good look at this team will see that our running problems had a lot to do with our offensive line than it did with our running back."

I mean, come on. Anyone who says we don't have a problem with our O-Line is just DUMB.

El Tejano
04-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Perhaps Mclain is looking at it from a 1st round draft pick perspective. Then again that may be giving him too much credit.

TexCanada
04-07-2010, 11:31 AM
"good running back for a great running game". Does that even make sense? So he is saying that our O-line is so amazing that it can make good running backs look great? Did he watch a Texans game last year?

Ole Miss Texan
04-07-2010, 11:32 AM
I heard that this morning too. I think 2009 was a factor of both.

2008 - We had all 5 OL starters play the entire season together. That is incredible and the biggest reason why we rushed so well that year. The depth really had me worried worried though.

2009 - We lost our two starting guards. Myers was in the middle, now playing next to "decent" backup guards but difinitely not starting material guards at this point. That weakens all 3 interior spots and even weakens both tackles. This is set up for failure. Also this season, the RB's - Slaton in particular - underperformed. The combination of all this was terrible.

Now McClain just says "oh it was injuries to the OL, next year this probably won't happen". Well, we lose our starting LG Pitts and he was the one injured. Is Wade Smith going to take that spot and be just as good or better? Brisiel is coming off his injury, how is he going to come back? Plus it's not like he was a really great RG in the first place, it's not like we're getting a probowler back in the line up. Studdard/Caldwell got some playing time but is it enough experience and reps that they're comfortable and the best option at the G positions?

I think and hope our OL will be better than they were last year. FA Smith, I think, should be better than Studdard was last year or would have done better at RG than what we had last year. Pitts is gone. Will Brisiel play on the same level as he was pre-injury?

There's still just too many question marks for me to dismiss the OL. Not saying we need to take a guy in the 1st round but that's probably more of a declaration of what Guards would be available to us. I think the value in G will be 2nd -4th.

Ole Miss Texan
04-07-2010, 11:35 AM
He did say that he thinks a RB, CB, DT and OL will be selected with our first 4 picks and I totally agree with him. I also see another CB taken (maybe a CB/S tweener), maybe a true S, probably another OL and maybe another RB!

HoustonFrog
04-07-2010, 11:40 AM
He did say that he thinks a RB, CB, DT and OL will be selected with our first 4 picks and I totally agree with him. I also see another CB taken (maybe a CB/S tweener), maybe a true S, probably another OL and maybe another RB!

No offense OMT but he basically just rifled off the 4 main needs.

If McClain said it, it has holes. The guy's football knowledge is less than most people here. His chat online and his talks are basically a bunch of nothing.

Ole Miss Texan
04-07-2010, 11:46 AM
No offense OMT but he basically just rifled off the 4 main needs.

If McClain said it, it has holes. The guy's football knowledge is less than most people here. His chat online and his talks are basically a bunch of nothing.

LOL, I hear you on that. I just think we're going to see really good value at DT, CB and OL in the 2nd - 4th so BPA will probably match up with those needs. I really like the RB's in this area too. So in my perfect world we'd be able to trade down and get more bang for the buck.

HoustonFrog
04-07-2010, 11:54 AM
LOL, I hear you on that. I just think we're going to see really good value at DT, CB and OL in the 2nd - 4th so BPA will probably match up with those needs. I really like the RB's in this area too. So in my perfect world we'd be able to trade down and get more bang for the buck.

True!I think this draft is deep to target those needs in the top 4 rounds. Honestly, I always have said that if a top RB is there take them but I think in this draft OL might start flying off the board so we will see how that plays out.

Shaft75
04-07-2010, 11:57 AM
McLain is a moron...

Yankee_In_TX
04-07-2010, 11:59 AM
I believe he was not saying we would not draft OL at all, but it's not a priority because the 10 line looks really good based on 08 and if we stick a good RB in there we'll see the sudden ability to get 1 yard when it counts.

CloakNNNdagger
04-07-2010, 12:14 PM
When I was a kid, I used to play electronic football. Unless the OL pieces could split or push back the DL pieces, the RB piece would be hopelessly bouncing off of the OL pieces in front of it and moving aimlesly, usually in reverse direction or infinitely travelling in circles in the backfield.

I conjured up this same picture when I watched the Texans last year. Yes, we need an RB, but without a strong decent OL, that RB , just like last year, won't be going anywhere except backwards or in circles.

JB
04-07-2010, 12:17 PM
When I was a kid, I used to play electronic football. Unless the OL pieces could split or push back the DL pieces, the RB piece would be hopelessly bouncing off of the OL pieces in front of it and moving aimlesly, usually in reverse direction or infinitely travelling in circles in the backfield.

I conjured up this same picture when I watched the Texans last year. Yes, we need an RB, but without a strong decent OL, that RB , just like last year, won't be going anywhere except backwards or in circles.

:lol: Great analogy!

HOU-TEX
04-07-2010, 12:29 PM
McLain is a moron...

Yes

Runner
04-07-2010, 12:30 PM
As things stand now, I expect that elusive "chemistry" in the o-line to be found. They'll be gellin' this season.

PhilpW
04-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Because we run a ZBS run offense, our line isn't going to blow any team off the line of scrimmage. (I read somewhere that scheme requires a smaller, quicker lineman.) Quick counts and boot legs are all we have when we get to the goal line.

Yankee_In_TX
04-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Because we run a ZBS run offense, our line isn't going to blow any team off the line of scrimmage. (I read somewhere that scheme requires a smaller, quicker lineman.)

Yet right after this statement, the coaching staff then explains up the middle is the best play to get 1 yard. Heard these two statements multiple times last year and I have not stopped complaining since.

TimeKiller
04-07-2010, 01:34 PM
I say shit-on-a-stick in-the-mud>McClain. McClain knows more about football...than....babies?

The OL, at it's very best was slightly if any above average. That was due to 5 completely middle of the pack lineman who managed a feat that is rarely accomplished, that being all 5 OL starting all 16 games. 1 of those isn't coming back, 1 is coming back from injury, 1 is the bane of the fans' existence. The running game took a rare feat and a guy who exploded his rookie at RB to look.....decent? LIKE a running game? So-so? Alright?

"No holes, no goals." That should be the OL's motto. Or "No lanes, no gains." Or "1 yard? Yeah. Maybe next time!"

Mr. White
04-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Because we run a ZBS run offense, our line isn't going to blow any team off the line of scrimmage. (I read somewhere that scheme requires a smaller, quicker lineman.) Quick counts and boot legs are all we have when we get to the goal line.

I think this is a misconception. Usually anytime someone says that we use small linemen, someone else comes along with a comparison of another team's linemen and ours always seem to be the same size (give or take.)

It seems like our line is about the same size as everyone else in our division IIRC.

As a result, I've arrived at the opinion that I have no idea what we're doing with the O-Line since I never played it and never coached it. Seems like Lance Zierlein has broke it down some in his blog posts, but I can't remember what he said now.

b0ng
04-07-2010, 02:25 PM
The tackles are pretty much set. The starting center I'm sure is on the team already. That leaves the two guard positions, where we signed a guy for depth and will be returning a starter. Now the line was bad last year and above average the year. I imagine that McLain's thinking is the rest of the OL will be menial FA signings and a mid round flyer. To him this isn't enough for him to wheeze extra hard about so he just says "They are fine with it.

I would be surprised if the Texans picked a guard/c before round 3 this year (barring a trade down).

infantrycak
04-07-2010, 02:28 PM
I think this is a misconception. Usually anytime someone says that we use small linemen, someone else comes along with a comparison of another team's linemen and ours always seem to be the same size (give or take.)

It seems like our line is about the same size as everyone else in our division IIRC.

As a result, I've arrived at the opinion that I have no idea what we're doing with the O-Line since I never played it and never coached it. Seems like Lance Zierlein has broke it down some in his blog posts, but I can't remember what he said now.

Yup, our OL is pretty average sized. Denver made ZBS famous and initially had some guys a little smaller. People made that into a rule. The last OL guy drafted with Gibbs in Denver was 340+ lbs.

dalemurphy
04-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Yup, our OL is pretty average sized. Denver made ZBS famous and initially had some guys a little smaller. People made that into a rule. The last OL guy drafted with Gibbs in Denver was 340+ lbs.

Here's a list of OLmen drafted under Kubiak before the late rounds:

Charles Spencer
Eric Winston
Duane Brown
A. Caldwell

I think that's it... by the way, none of those guys are smallish for the position. All the ZBS will prevent us from drafting are guys like: Herman Johnson, Leonard Davis, etc... all the huge monsters with limited feet.

HOU-TEX
04-07-2010, 03:45 PM
A HOU-TEX random thought of the day:

Maybe we should give Okam a shot at Guard? He's farely quick and sucks at his current position......why not?

*Back to your regular scheduled thread*

badboy
04-07-2010, 03:49 PM
A HOU-TEX random thought of the day:

Maybe we should give Okam a shot at Guard? He's farely quick and sucks at his current position......why not?

*Back to your regular scheduled thread*Because he is an attorney and will sue?

TimeKiller
04-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Okam....ha....

Raise your hand if you don't understand how a massive human being can be so completely useless in a setting of physical violence?

:HAND RAISED:

HOU-TEX
04-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Okam....ha....

Raise your hand if you don't understand how a massive human being can be so completely useless in a setting of physical violence?

And be pushed back on the depth chart by a 71 year old Zgonina.

CloakNNNdagger
04-07-2010, 04:29 PM

Gibbs also loved guys with urangutan arms. I remember when Chan Gailey tried to install the ZBS using his already present OL. Didn't pan out worth a flip in that all he had to work with were basically monster players with alligator arms that played like they were planted in cement.:gun:

But, even Gibbs would have to admit (or maybe HE won't) that with today's huge defensive linemen, finesse only takes you so far. You either have to have a larger OL that can maintain finesse or very strong smaller OL with the same finesse. We've had neither..........and it's shown.

CloakNNNdagger
04-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Okam....ha....

Not enough fiber in his diet........no gas-powered forward propulsion.

JB
04-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Not enough fiber in his diet........no gas-powered forward propulsion.

:spit:

The Pencil Neck
04-07-2010, 05:07 PM

Actually, what's important in a ZBS is agility and speed. Frequently, those guys are going to be a little smaller and in Denver, those lines were a bit on the smallish side. But our line is about average. The ZBS needs guys with good feet and guys who are able to get to the second level and take out LBs and DBs.

I think we had a few problems last year.

1. I think Chris Myers is weak at the point of attack without the protection of better guards. It seemed to me that he got knocked back into the backfield way too often. We either need a better center or better guards or both. I expect us to pick up a couple of OL in this draft.
2. Gibbs likes a very limited number of running plays implemented. He's in the Lombardi school of thought that you limit what you do and then practice that until you do it perfectly. The problem with that philosophy is that it allows people to figure out what you're doing and come up with ways to stop it. Kubes is creative with the passing attack; hopefully he and Dennison will be able to be more creative in the rushing attack.
3. Our RBs were not hitting their cutbacks correctly. Even a couple of years ago, Slaton was picking up all that yardage because he didn't give up on plays, not necessarily because he was making the right reads. This last season, when Slaton was fighting for the extra yardage (that he was getting the year before), he started dropping the ball. And that got into his head and ruined his effectiveness.

Ole Miss Texan
04-07-2010, 05:12 PM
I think size on the OL is a huge misconception too. ie we'd never draft a lineman that's 320 - 330lbs. It doesn't matter what size the OG is for the ZBS, it's how quick/athletic/etc they are. Those quicker guys that can move well and get to the second level are typically "smaller" guys. But that doesn't mean that's what we're looking for. I'll use Mike Iupati as an example. If he's got the feet, the quickness and the athleticism to block in this system and get to the second level, the Texans aren't going to NOT look at him b/c he weighs more that the typcial lineman they want. It becomes a strength (if he he can use that to an advantage). Whether Iupati can play up to the calibre we want him to in this system is for Kubiak/Dennison to figure out.

Wolf6151
04-08-2010, 12:06 PM
While I agree somewhat with the last 2 posts that we want O-linemen that are quick and that usually translates to smaller guys but not always. If our O-linemen can't handle the first level of defense, the D-line, then it doesn't matter how quick you get to the second level. An O-lineman has to be able to handle the DT's before he handles the LB's and DB's.

Marshall Newhouse has got size and quickness/athleticism, hopefully he's still available in the 3rd round but doubtful.

BullNation4Life
04-08-2010, 03:39 PM
LOL I love how folks bash a guy who is an award winning journalist, and the most they have ever had published was on this here message board.

McClain was also a big reason Warren Moon was elected into the Hall of Fame....

Makes me laugh out loud....

Ryan
04-08-2010, 03:49 PM
It had to be McClain's prestigious movie career that did it for Warren Moon, right?

BullNation4Life
04-08-2010, 04:14 PM
It had to be McClain's prestigious movie career that did it for Warren Moon, right?

Or it could have been 45 minute presentation to the voters of the Hall of Fame...take your pick

You do realize that those who are not shoe-ins for the Hall, have representatives that do presentations to the voters, mainly associated press, in order to be elected?

It has been said, even Warren Moon thanked him in his acceptance speech in Canton, that McClain presented on of the best presentations ever to get a player elected....

Yankee_In_TX
04-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Or it could have been 45 minute presentation to the voters of the Hall of Fame...take your pick

You do realize that those who are not shoe-ins for the Hall, have representatives that do presentations to the voters, mainly associated press, in order to be elected?

So McClain presenting Moon means posters on here are not allowed to post comments voicing a negative opinion of his earth shattering Texans coverage?

Ryan
04-08-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm pretty sure Moon would have been in the HoF already without the oompa loompa going up to vouche for him. I'm not sayin, i'm just sayin.

BullNation4Life
04-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm pretty sure Moon would have been in the HoF already without the oompa loompa going up to vouche for him. I'm not sayin, i'm just sayin.

Maybe, but Mcclain helped him get in sooner rather than later. Moon himself said McClain's presentation helped him get in....

BullNation4Life
04-08-2010, 04:40 PM
So McClain presenting Moon means posters on here are not allowed to post comments voicing a negative opinion of his earth shattering Texans coverage?

Do what you like, just think it's funny he can win all these awards for covering the Oilers, Texans and Titans, but still gets bashed by folks who haven't written anything but posts on a message board...

Not defending the guy, just saying...

infantrycak
04-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Do what you like, just think it's funny he can win all these awards for covering the Oilers, Texans and Titans, but still gets bashed by folks who haven't written anything but posts on a message board...

You are defending the guy.

Different issues here.

McClain - very entertaining story teller to some. Doesn't mean you know football.
McClain - very connected to some football insiders. Doesn't mean you know football.
McClain - covered football for a long time. Doesn't mean you know football.
McClain - may be a very good speaker and give persuasive hall of fame presentations. Doesn't mean you know football.

Bottom line McClain is a reporter, not an analyst. When people talk to him and he can pass it along he is entertaining. If he has to break down film he is just another fan. Under the current Texans regime he isn't getting much inside info so all we have is a guy with a long tenure, a job and a paper/microphone to express himself.

JB
04-08-2010, 05:36 PM

Different issues here.

McClain - very entertaining story teller to some. Doesn't mean you know football.
McClain - very connected to some football insiders. Doesn't mean you know football.
McClain - may be a very good speaker and give persuasive hall of fame presentations. Doesn't mean you know football.

Bottom line McClain is a reporter, not an analyst. When people talk to him and he can pass it along he is entertaining. If he has to break down film he is just another fan. Under the current Texans regime he isn't getting much inside info so all we have is a guy with a long tenure, a job and a paper/microphone to express himself.

Exactly! When he had insiders with the Oilers, he was a pretty good read. Without that he has become McLame

playa465
04-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Gibbs also loved guys with urangutan arms. I remember when Chan Gailey tried to install the ZBS using his already present OL. Didn't pan out worth a flip in that all he had to work with were basically monster players with alligator arms that played like they were planted in cement.:gun:

But, even Gibbs would have to admit (or maybe HE won't) that with today's huge defensive linemen, finesse only takes you so far. You either have to have a larger OL that can maintain finesse or very strong smaller OL with the same finesse. We've had neither..........and it's shown.

I vote for stronger OL...ZBS linemen are quick, athletic (referring to agility) and finesse types (utilizing technique)...this is no good when you have massive DTs who are also very strong. When at the goal line it becomes more evident. As long as we play those teams that use DTs for quickness and gap shooting (like we do) the ZBS is most productive...but against the fronts of teams with powerful DTs the running will suffer between the tackles...I don't care what kind of scheme we run but the OL needs to get stonger. In 08 Slaton did pretty good and our line was healthy, however most of those good games you see a big run happened. You take away the big run and everything for the most part is mediocre...that is not the kind of ground game Kubiak envisions, b/c he would like to control the game on the ground. We are lucky to have a passing attack that is damn good and maybe its so good that our ground game will never equal it. But we better ramp it up fast b/c the 2010 schedule is full of teams with physical defensive lines.

ObsiWan
04-08-2010, 08:05 PM

http://i.ebayimg.com/13/!BqLqrbg!2k~$(KGrHqMOKkMEu,(Ivz3BBLuoQEI20w~~_35.J PG
BZZZZZZZZZZZZ....

Hey, they don't have any bases!
No wonder our running game doesn't work

ObsiWan
04-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Actually, what's important in a ZBS is agility and speed. Frequently, those guys are going to be a little smaller and in Denver, those lines were a bit on the smallish side. But our line is about average. The ZBS needs guys with good feet and guys who are able to get to the second level and take out LBs and DBs.

I think we had a few problems last year.

1. I think Chris Myers is weak at the point of attack without the protection of better guards. It seemed to me that he got knocked back into the backfield way too often. We either need a better center or better guards or both. I expect us to pick up a couple of OL in this draft.
2. Gibbs likes a very limited number of running plays implemented. He's in the Lombardi school of thought that you limit what you do and then practice that until you do it perfectly. The problem with that philosophy is that it allows people to figure out what you're doing and come up with ways to stop it. Kubes is creative with the passing attack; hopefully he and Dennison will be able to be more creative in the rushing attack.
3. Our RBs were not hitting their cutbacks correctly. Even a couple of years ago, Slaton was picking up all that yardage because he didn't give up on plays, not necessarily because he was making the right reads. This last season, when Slaton was fighting for the extra yardage (that he was getting the year before), he started dropping the ball. And that got into his head and ruined his effectiveness.

If I had a vote, I'd vote to get both.

...but I don't have a vote.

BullNation4Life
04-09-2010, 09:34 AM

Different issues here.

No I wasn't I was just stating facts, as you are stating opinions about McCalin knowing football. and you are intitled, but Journalist/analyst = tomato/tomaato. To say he knows nothing about football after writing and covering it for 20+ years and being rewarded for it is ridonkulous. Be just like saying that the weather man knows nothing about the weather because he is only right 35-40% of the time. Never mind that he covers it day in and day out, he is still only right some of the time so he is garbage...

or better yet, it would be like saying fans know more about drafting players than a GM does because they read bio's on players that scouts write up when that couldn't be farther from the truth.

like I said, just think that is funny....

Blake
04-09-2010, 09:58 AM
LOL I love how folks bash a guy who is an award winning journalist, and the most they have ever had published was on this here message board.

McClain was also a big reason Warren Moon was elected into the Hall of Fame....

Makes me laugh out loud....

I was gonna post something negative about Barrack Obama and his decisions as President, but then decided that since he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, and ive never been President that I should keep my mouth shut.

McClain may have been connected with the Oilers, but he has about as much insider information on the Texans as you and I do. Hell he didnt even know DeMeco signed his huge deal until after we learned that from other sources like Adam Sheffter. Give me a break BullNation. I would love to hear him try to break down our running game woe's, but that is not what he does. He goes on ESPN and tells them if he thinks the Texans will draft a running back or cornerback. That is the extent of his football knowledge.

BullNation4Life
04-09-2010, 10:32 AM
I was gonna post something negative about Barrack Obama and his decisions as President, but then decided that since he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, and ive never been President that I should keep my mouth shut.

McClain may have been connected with the Oilers, but he has about as much insider information on the Texans as you and I do. Hell he didnt even know DeMeco signed his huge deal until after we learned that from other sources like Adam Sheffter. Give me a break BullNation. I would love to hear him try to break down our running game woe's, but that is not what he does. He goes on ESPN and tells them if he thinks the Texans will draft a running back or cornerback. That is the extent of his football knowledge.

Your opinion, and you are entitled, but it is just that, your opinion...Fact is many people who do know the sport, have given McClain awards for his knowledge and critique in the world of football. You do not get those kind of awards without knowing your stuff...

As for Obama, unless you know extensively the in and outs of politics and have won a Nobel Peace Prize, may you should keep quiet....got enough people who do not know what the hell they are talking about in politics already, but this is my opinion as well....

still think it's funny....

steelbtexan
04-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Your opinion, and you are entitled, but it is just that, your opinion...Fact is many people who do know the sport, have given McClain awards for his knowledge and critique in the world of football. You do not get those kind of awards without knowing your stuff...

As for Obama, unless you know extensively the in and outs of politics and have won a Nobel Peace Prize, may you should keep quiet....got enough people who do not know what the hell they are talking about in politics already, but this is my opinion as well....

BN4L

Most of this board would disagree with you on McClain. He knows more about the movies than the inner workings of the Texans. Of course he spends more time at the movies than he does covering the Texans. So his knowledge of the film industry shouldn't come as a suprise.

Why are you so touchy about BO. I deserve the nobel peace prize as much as he does. BO looked almost embarrassed when he won it.

BullNation4Life
04-09-2010, 11:25 AM
BN4L

Most of this board would disagree with you on McClain. He knows more about the movies than the inner workings of the Texans. Of course he spends more time at the movies than he does covering the Texans. So his knowledge of the film industry shouldn't come as a suprise.

Why are you so touchy about BO. I deserve the nobel peace prize as much as he does. BO looked almost embarrassed when he won it.

Most can but I stated facts to their opinions about someone.

Touchy about BO, didn't mean to come that way. Quite honestly could care less who is the President, I have never voted, ever. The House and Corporate America runs the country anyway, President is just a puppet, an mere face for a nation, in my opinion of course. Has been this way for decades and will continue for many more...

That is the extent of my politics so I keep quiet about the subject, moving on...

My statement was just that if you think you know more about a subject where others have obtained high achievements because of their knowledge of the same subject, that is asinine and laughable. Like I said, I can look outside and say it's a beautiful day when the weatherman said last night on the news there was 80% chance of rain. Does that mean I know more than the weatherman because his prediction was wrong? Hell no, just like all weather people and sports analyst do, they make a predication based on info given to them. Just like McClain, just like Kiper and so on and so forth...

HOU-TEX
04-09-2010, 11:28 AM
McClain's days of being a good sports reporter are behind him. He's now average at best. That's as nice as I can put it.

steelbtexan
04-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Most can but I stated facts to their opinions about someone.

Touchy about BO, didn't mean to come that way. Quite honestly could care less who is the President, I have never voted, ever. The House and Corporate America runs the country anyway, President is just a puppet, an mere face for a nation, in my opinion of course. Has been this way for decades and will continue for many more...

That is the extent of my politics so I keep quiet about the subject, moving on...

My statement was just that if you think you know more about a subject where others have obtained high achievements because of their knowledge of the same subject, that is asinine and laughable. Like I said, I can look outside and say it's a beautiful day when the weatherman said last night on the news there was 80% chance of rain. Does that mean I know more than the weatherman because his prediction was wrong? Hell no, just like all weather people and sports analyst do, they make a predication based on info given to them. Just like McClain, just like Kiper and so on and so forth...

No I dont claim to know more than a guy that works in the sports industry as a profession?

I do think thaat there are any number of posters on this board that could've done a better job of evaluating talent in the draft and FA than Casserly did.

Somehow Casserly is an expert on the NFLN still. LOL

Blake
04-09-2010, 11:54 AM

What awards has he been given in the past 10 years for his football work? I searched, but couldnt dig up anything.

infantrycak
04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
My statement was just that if you think you know more about a subject where others have obtained high achievements because of their knowledge of the same subject, that is asinine and laughable.

What are all these awards and high achievements you keep referring to?

In any event, you have a false underlying assumption that awards for writing about sports are given based on analytical ability. What is making Adam Schefter a significant reporter right now? It isn't his analysis, it is his contacts getting him information first in many instances. Dude doesn't have to know crap about football to have someone with the Eagles tell him they're about to trade McNabb. He like McClain is a repeater not an analyzer.

Yankee_In_TX
04-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Just because someone won awards doesn't mean they're good now.

Happens all the time to actors, authors, doctors, attorneys, etc., etc., etc.

/argument

BullNation4Life
04-09-2010, 01:12 PM
No I dont claim to know more than a guy that works in the sports industry as a profession?

I do think thaat there are any number of posters on this board that could've done a better job of evaluating talent in the draft and FA than Casserly did.

Somehow Casserly is an expert on the NFLN still. LOL

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ccasserly2.jpg

Hey! Hey now, C'mon now! That Jason Babin was a good pick. He was a good kid. He had da talent...

Hey! Hey now! C'mon now! P'Buc had da talent to be a superstar, that's why I traded for him.....

Hey! Hey now! C'mon now! Mario Williams, I mean I made that pick for da city of Houston. what more do ya want?

Yankee_In_TX
05-11-2010, 08:41 AM

Errrrr, did you happen to notice EVERYTHING we've learned about Cushing has come from Shefter? Each piece of breaking news, from..... ESPN's Adam Shefter. Where's Houston's own in all this?

SAMURAITEXAN
05-11-2010, 10:33 AM
It seems like we don't have any reliable source in Houston. (-。-)y―・~~

The Texans's breaking news usually comes from out side of Houston. So sad.

Yankee_In_TX
05-11-2010, 11:00 AM
It seems like we don't have any reliable source in Houston. (-。-)y―・~~

The Texans's breaking news usually comes from out side of Houston. So sad.

(lots of typos tired and super busy at work)

AFTER I wrote this, I could not have planned this any better:

610, John, Marc and John (total paraphrasing for everything below):

John: I want to ask Cushing when he's back for OTA's what he got nailed for. Oh, I sent a strongly worded letter to the AP on my ballot.

Hosts: What about Texans' staff saying they just found out.

John: I don't know.

Hosts: Bye.

John Lopez: Breaking news, Shefter is reporting what Cushing took, after this break.

THEN ESPN this morning:

ESPN's Adam Shefter reporting Cushing got popped in September.

ESPN's Adam Shefter reporting Cushing popped for non-steoird.

ESPN's Adam Shefter reporting Cushing actually took (whatever it was).

And Houston' John McClain voted for Cushing.

SAMURAITEXAN
05-11-2010, 11:31 AM
(lots of typos tired and super busy at work)

AFTER I wrote this, I could not have planned this any better:

610, John, Marc and John (total paraphrasing for everything below):

John: I want to ask Cushing when he's back for OTA's what he got nailed for. Oh, I sent a strongly worded letter to the AP on my ballot.

Hosts: What about Texans' staff saying they just found out.

John: I don't know.

Hosts: Bye.

John Lopez: Breaking news, Shefter is reporting what Cushing took, after this break.

THEN ESPN this morning:

ESPN's Adam Shefter reporting Cushing got popped in September.

ESPN's Adam Shefter reporting Cushing popped for non-steoird.

ESPN's Adam Shefter reporting Cushing actually took (whatever it was).

And Houston' John McClain voted for Cushing.

Thanks for info Yankee_In_TX.

I will say it again, SO SAD!