PDA

View Full Version : Is DE a possibility at 1?

Spled
04-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Guys like Morgan, Graham, Odrick or Griffen and then DB at 2 and a third on a running back to join Slaton, Foster and Moats for a committee of running backs.

edo783
04-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Nope

Blake
04-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Never say never, but we have Mario, Smith, drafted Barwin, and resigned Bullman. Why would we draft a DE with our first round pick?

Thorn
04-05-2010, 10:35 PM
I would think if they take a defensive lineman in the first round it would be a tackle, not and end. We need a good tackle a heck of a lot more than we do another DE.

kiwitexansfan
04-05-2010, 10:37 PM
I would think if they take a defensive lineman in the first round it would be a tackle, not and end. We need a good tackle a heck of a lot more than we do another DE.

Yes sir, I could live with a DT.

The Pencil Neck
04-05-2010, 11:24 PM
I could see DT. DE, no.

mussop
04-06-2010, 02:21 AM
It should be. Who cares what we have spent on the position? We suck at getting to the QB.

We know we are going to score a bunch of points. We need a defense that can get after the QB to keep teams from keeping up with us. It doesnt matter if we put an all pro at CB if he has to cover WR's for too long. This is a passing leauge and the rules are set up to give the passing game the advantage.

If we can find an OLB that is good in coverage and is good at blitzing (Weatherspoon) or a DE (Graham) that is exceptional at getting to the QB, we would be crazy not to consider them.

threetoedpete
04-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Never say never, but we have Mario, Smith, drafted Barwin, and resigned Bullman. Why would we draft a DE with our first round pick?

Agreed. Barwin isn't Hacksaw Reynolds yet. But I liked everything he did last year. They have a very nice rotation with Antonio Smith and Barwin. You gotta give the raw guys a chance to grow. As long as Cushing is healthy all the pieces fit. Ordrick would give them unbelievable scheme flexibility, but you can't have everything. As you post never say never, but I doubt De is on the menu at the twenty.

Goldensilence
04-06-2010, 10:15 AM
DE or DT shouldn't be on the list at #1.

Let's see: a #1 overall pick, a #10 pick, we just jettisoned a former first rounder last fall, signed Smith to a big contract, and drafted a very raw DE last year at #2. Yet we're still struggling along the line despite such a heavy investment in it.

I think it's time we look to other positions that have given us better results.

El Tejano
04-06-2010, 10:19 AM

Because we are the Houston Texans and pissing off our fans on draft day is what we do best.

El Tejano
04-06-2010, 10:25 AM
DE or DT shouldn't be on the list at #1.

Let's see: a #1 overall pick, a #10 pick, we just jettisoned a former first rounder last fall, signed Smith to a big contract, and drafted a very raw DE last year at #2. Yet we're still struggling along the line despite such a heavy investment in it.

I think it's time we look to other positions that have given us better results.

I agree but I also think that is why DE could still be a possibility in round 1. If there were a stud, guaranteed 10-12 sacks a year DE, you gotta pick him up. There is still some good quality DBs in the second and third, and DT (to me) has greater value in the 4th round and beyond.

Brisco_County
04-06-2010, 12:26 PM
With as many needs as we have, we are definitely not taking a DE.

krocket
04-07-2010, 12:28 AM
I agree but I also think that is why DE could still be a possibility in round 1. If there were a stud, guaranteed 10-12 sacks a year DE, you gotta pick him up. There is still some good quality DBs in the second and third, and DT (to me) has greater value in the 4th round and beyond.
With all due respect, we have pass rushers but we lack a DT that can collapse the pocket and command a double team so that those pass rushers can do their thing.