PDA

View Full Version : Why dont QB's refuse to play?

barrett
04-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Was just reading this (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/03/sam-bradford-thinks-it-would-be-cool-to-play-for-mike-shanahan/) on Sam Bradford talking how "cool" it would be to play in Shanahan's system.

Elway did it, little "popsicles" Manning did it, If I'm Bradford and I know that a system like that would snatch me up in a second why wouldn't you just refuse to play for the first 3 teams?

I know it's kind of dirty pool in a way but you're talking about a career that could start with kind of a black mark that could be easily overshadowed by a great career. Isn't that right Mr. Elway?

I don't know why I'm bringing this up since I'm opposed to it really but geeze...

JB
04-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Was just reading this (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/03/sam-bradford-thinks-it-would-be-cool-to-play-for-mike-shanahan/) on Sam Bradford talking how "cool" it would be to play in Shanahan's system.

Elway did it, little "popsicles" Manning did it, If I'm Bradford and I know that a system like that would snatch me up in a second why wouldn't you just refuse to play for the first 3 teams?

I know it's kind of dirty pool in a way but you're talking about a career that could start with kind of a black mark that could be easily overshadowed by a great career. Isn't that right Mr. Elway?

I don't know why I'm bringing this up since I'm opposed to it really but geeze...

I would not be surprised if that went down. If during negotiations, Bradfords agent told the Rams that he would fight playing there, he would probably drop to 4. If he wants to give up that #1 pick money.

barrett
04-03-2010, 05:36 PM
ohhhhhhh, I forgot about the #1 money.

I must be crazy but I'd take a job I like and millions of dollars over one I don't like and millions more.

JB
04-03-2010, 05:40 PM

I must be crazy but I'd take a job I like and millions of dollars over one I don't like and millions more.

You and me both buddy! But, we are not potential #1 picks in the NFL draft!

brakos82
04-03-2010, 05:46 PM

Plus if you're looking at that second contract in a few years.... probably better in the end if he pans out.

CloakNNNdagger
04-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Problem with that, it might not speak for longevity (esp, for a team like the Rams where the QB could get killed and destroyed mentally) and the potential for a long career with the additional millions it brings in.

Michael Vick may not have been so stupid for not coming out when the Texans would take him. (As it turns out, he was stupid in other ways that more than made up for it.)

Of course, despite the fact that D Carr got #1 money, got killed, got mentally deranged, he still got additional millions in an extension.

Grams
04-04-2010, 05:25 AM
I seem to remember a Manning did that before he got drafted.

Said he would not like to play for the Chargers. They drafted him anyway.
Of course they also turned around and traded him to the Giants a few minutes later.

infantrycak
04-04-2010, 09:34 AM
Problem with that, it might not speak for longevity (esp, for a team like the Rams where the QB could get killed and destroyed mentally) and the potential for a long career with the additional millions it brings in.

Michael Vick may not have been so stupid for not coming out when the Texans would take him. (As it turns out, he was stupid in other ways that more than made up for it.)

Of course, despite the fact that D Carr got #1 money, got killed, got mentally deranged, he still got additional millions in an extension.

Agree and disagree. Yes a smart QB would pass on the Rams and the instant money to go to Shanahan and Shanahan Jr. I would have hated it but Vick would have been a star in Houston. An elusive RB err QB saving a poor offensive line occasionally hitting hall of fame WR AJ on a 50 yard deep strike for a TD. He's that QB you have to truly dislike because he is going to be exciting enough to make most people like him. Having a HWWNBN is easier. Just send him away.

TexCanada
04-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Why doesn't everybody do this? QBs aren't the only players that would benefit from going to a better team. Maybe we could just do it like European soccer where there is no draft, everybody is just a free agent from the time they are born.

CloakNNNdagger
04-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Why doesn't everybody do this? QBs aren't the only players that would benefit from going to a better team. Maybe we could just do it like European soccer where there is no draft, everybody is just a free agent from the time they are born.

You have to go back to 1936 before which there was no draft. College players up to that time independently negotiated with any team. Because weak teams got weaker and strong teams got stronger, the draft began.........with 9 rounds, with an inverse order of single pick in each round based on previous record. In 1938 and 1939, only the lowest 5 teams were given 2nd and 4th picks to improve parity. Today, things have changed a great deal.

awtysst
04-04-2010, 03:52 PM
You have to go back to 1936 before which there was no draft. College players up to that time independently negotiated with any team. Because weak teams got weaker and strong teams got stronger, the draft began.........with 9 rounds, with an inverse order of single pick in each round based on previous record. In 1938 and 1939, only the lowest 5 teams were given 2nd and 4th picks to improve parity. Today, things have changed a great deal.

Interesting. Can you imagine if they tried something similar to that today? All teams would get a 1st round pick. If you went to the playoffs, you don't get a second, third, or fourth (so all teams picking 21+ would not get a 2,3, or 4). If you finished at .500 or better no third or 4th. If you finished at 6/7 wins or more, no 4th rounder. If you finished with 5 wins or less you get 1 additional 4th. If you finish in bottom 5, you get additional 4th rounder. As an added bonus, if you are a superbowl team, no 5th for you! All teams would then get 1 6th, and 1 7th.

So, Superbowl teams: 1,6,7
Non Superbowl Playoff teams: 1,5,6,7
.500 non playoff: 1,2,5,6,7
6/7 win: 1,2,3,4,6,7
5 wins: 1,2,3,4,4,5,6,7
bottom 5: 1,2,3,4,4,4,5,6,7

barrett
04-04-2010, 04:30 PM

I guess to me it makes the most sense for a QB because their careers are much longer typically and they "run" the system and they are a stationary target.

I don't know, I guess I'm just bringing it up because I feel like we know a secret about how prolific the system can be. If Sam Bradford knew it too I think he'd be crazy not to eat money for an opportunity to win.

TexCanada
04-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I guess to me it makes the most sense for a QB because their careers are much longer typically and they "run" the system and they are a stationary target.

I don't know, I guess I'm just bringing it up because I feel like we know a secret about how prolific the system can be. If Sam Bradford knew it too I think he'd be crazy not to eat money for an opportunity to win.

It makes sense, but I think its a pretty sleezy thing to do. Maybe I'm just still biased because of Steve Francis' snub on the Grizzlies. I wasn't too pleased when that went down.

awtysst
04-04-2010, 05:21 PM

Two things:
1. $
2. Ego

1. QBs know their career is short and they want to max their contract. If you try to go to another team, you are betting the loss of money will be made up later on or by winning. That does not always happen. A freak injury could end your season or even career very early. So, they don't want to leave money on the table usually.

2. QBs have HUGE egos. They have to. Remember they have to believe that when the game is on the line they and only they are the ones who has the ability to lead the team down the field. DO you want a QB who is wishy washy about that or a guy confident in his abilities? Likewise, QBs are gonna look at a team and believe that THEY can be the one to lead them to the promised land. Why? Because if they are a high pick they have always been the man and have taken their team to big things. Their natural ability made up for the weaknesses on the team.

Showtime100
04-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Elway brought the NY Yankees offer to the table so he had so serious leverage to work with against the Colts.

Yankee_In_TX
04-04-2010, 07:14 PM

.... See, Manning, Eli.