PDA

View Full Version : Pollard - Why the Chief gave up on him

m5kwatts
04-02-2010, 03:55 PM
A few weeks back I posted in a thread on here something like "how can Scott Pioli continue to be regarded as this bright football mind after releasing Pollard and seeing his impact on our defense?"

So I took it upon myself to do as much research online to find out why exactly the Chiefs gave up on him. From all the message boards/articles and anything I could find, the most common reason given was he didn't fit their new scheme.

This struck me as odd because

1) Pollard wasn't a liability in the slightest in coverage, which is usually the problem with safety's when they don't fit the scheme

2) Usually when a scheme changes its the front 7 players who find themselves out of position or no longer a fit, NOT defensive backs

3) At the very least, he's better than any safety on that Chiefs roster.

So I concluded, it couldn't be that he was no longer a fit for their new scheme. So I started giving merit to the other claims that were being made. Now these claims were made on message boards (it was difficult to find articles even reporting his release from the Chiefs, let alone anything discussing the reasoning behind it) so take it with a grain of salt or believe every word, its up to you.

One of the things I read was that Pioli did not like Pollard for reasons other than football. He was unfairly labeled "the problem" in the Chiefs locker room and his release was symbolic of "getting rid of the cancer on the team." I even read one poster to go as far as to say Pioli called around the league slandering Pollard's name and actively discouraging teams to sign him. Remember, this is all message board speculation.

But also remember Rick Smith waited purposefully to sign Pollard until week 3 so he could "experience hitting rock bottom so he could truly appreciate being in the NFL." The Rick Smith quote was not message board speculation, that was reported on the telecast of one of the games last year and McClain has retold this same account as well.

So now I'm putting together the puzzle pieces I've collected and its clear Rick got a call from Scott Pioli and took to heart what he was told. And it took the atrocious week 2 game in Tennessee where we gave up 90 yard TDs every snap it seemed to get desperate enough to want to sign this problem child Pollard. And after seeing more of the same results week 3 vs the Jags, Pollard was signed and put in the starting lineup week 4 and never looked back.

And now the Texans have a franchise impact safety for the next 10 years and we didn't have to give up any compensation to get him. And the Chiefs, well, they still have the bright brilliant mind that is Scott Pioli and their roster is just as talentless and depleted as it was when wonder boy took over. Thank you Scott Pioli, from Texans fans everywhere.

Texan4Ever
04-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Nice write up, I have to agree with some of the points made...maybe its just rumors and speculation but some of it has to be true. Anyways, we got a great player and I hope he continues to improve and help our defense.

barrett
04-02-2010, 03:58 PM
I don't ever recollect seeing that "waiting to let him hit rock bottom" quote. Sounds a bit speculatory to me. Doesn't sound like Rick Smith speak to me.

Double Barrel
04-02-2010, 04:04 PM
I agree with barrett. That doesn't sounds like a Rick Smith quote. He's usually very guarded with his words, almost like a politician.

Interesting theories, but I'd take message board talk with a grain of salt. Can you imagine what Falcon fans could get from our board regarding D.Rob? As we know, most of it is just speculation and gossip.

m5kwatts
04-02-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't ever recollect seeing that "waiting to let him hit rock bottom" quote. Sounds a bit speculatory to me. Doesn't sound like Rick Smith speak to me.

I googled until my fingers bled trying to find that quote online. It was one of the CBS color guys (Dan Dierdorf, Rich Gannon can't remember exactly who) on one of the telecasts, he said something to that effect that Rick Smith purposely didn't jump on signing Pollard as soon as he was released because he wanted Pollard to experience "the streets" and learn a lesson. I too thought it was odd that Rick Smith would say that and that a team would wait to sign a player for this reason but in hearing about how Pioli actively called teams slandering Pollard, this reaction from Rick Smith would make more sense.

barrett
04-02-2010, 04:09 PM
As I understand it (aka speculation), a television "color guy" oddly called "analysts"has less credibility as a "news source" than, well, you or I even do.

And you can quote that. That way it'll be official.

CloakNNNdagger
04-02-2010, 04:10 PM
A few weeks back I posted in a thread on here something like "how can Scott Pioli continue to be regarded as this bright football mind after releasing Pollard and seeing his impact on our defense?"

So I took it upon myself to do as much research online to find out why exactly the Chiefs gave up on him. From all the message boards/articles and anything I could find, the most common reason given was he didn't fit their new scheme.

That's actually true........the rest of the Chief's D sucked eggs...............that left poor Bernard out in the cold.

The Pencil Neck
04-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Another thing to remember is that Pollard's old DB coach came to the Texans. I'm sure that Smith wouldn't have taken a risk on Pollard if Gibbs had bad things to say about him and didn't want him around.

I also seem to recall that there was a financial/contractual reason that they waited so long. I don't recall the specifics of that.

JB
04-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I googled until my fingers bled trying to find that quote online. It was one of the CBS color guys (Dan Dierdorf, Rich Gannon can't remember exactly who) on one of the telecasts, he said something to that effect that Rick Smith purposely didn't jump on signing Pollard as soon as he was released because he wanted Pollard to experience "the streets" and learn a lesson. I too thought it was odd that Rick Smith would say that and that a team would wait to sign a player for this reason but in hearing about how Pioli actively called teams slandering Pollard, this reaction from Rick Smith would make more sense.

I seem to recall the same. I think it was Gannon, but I think that was his opinion of why Smith waited. Pollard also said it took Herm Edwards making some calls for him and waiting to pass a physical that took it until week 3.

Just how I remember it.

Wolf
04-02-2010, 04:18 PM
http://fans.kcchiefs.com/service/displayDiscussionThreads.kickAction?w=264752&as=118586&d=295332

Timeline:

8/26/09: Pollard argues with Pendergast.

8/29/09: Pollard plays against Seatle. makes some plays, but misses about 5 tackles.

9/3/09: Pollard does not play agains St. louis. McGraw and Morgan have great games.

9/5/09: Pollard cut.

I got curious on this subject and..

Wolf
04-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Bernard Pollard led the Kansas City Chiefs with 98 tackles in 2008, 13 more than his nearest competition. He also had the dubious distinction of being the player that ended Tom Brady's season before it really got started. But the defensive MVP of the Chiefs was a roster casualty in early September as Kansas City trimmed down to meet the 53-man requirement. Now Pollard is claiming that the Chiefs tried to blackball him from signing with any other NFL team.

"I'm not going to sit here and lie to you," he said, "I don't know why I was cut. I can't do anything but assume. I know what was said about me. The things they said about me weren't right and they know they weren't right."

Pollard went into more detail on the things he claims someone from the Chiefs said about him after he was released.

"I don't know who said them. The one thing that disappointed me - I'm not going to go into everything that was said because there were a lot of things that were said but it hurt me - it said I was argumentative and disrespectful to my teammates."

Pollard refutes the claims that he was bad to have in the locker room and goes on to say that had Herm Edwards not called around the league on his behalf, Pollard might not be playing right now.

He says he was unaware of any personality conflict between him and the new front office staff of the Chiefs. Pollard was also unable to pinpoint how he seemed to alienate the coaching staff, especially Todd Haley who Pollard accused of excessive cursing and showing signs of disrespect during practices.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/10/bernard-pollard-accuses-chiefs-of-trying-to-have-him-blackballed/

Pollardized
04-02-2010, 04:26 PM
The man brought a spark that our D was sorely lacking first 3 weeks of the season. He brought an intensity that seemed to radiate through the entire defense. Cushing looked less like a warrior before Pollard arrived. Cush seemed to be hesitant to go and really "hit" people, because the Texans defense as a unit seemed "soft" and not really aggresive. It was like Cushing didn't want to ruffle feathers by doing what others weren't. Even Demeco seemed to play more aggresive after Pollard got on the field.

I think the man is a rock solid safety, and I am proud to be named after him ...... Pollardized

m5kwatts
04-02-2010, 04:28 PM
As I understand it (aka speculation), a television "color guy" oddly called "analysts"has less credibility as a "news source" than, well, you or I even do.

And you can quote that. That way it'll be official.

The TV guys meet with both of the teams the Saturday before games, its a required of the coaches/players to do this. This is considered their "research" before the game and this is their source for all the information they throw out on the broadcast. Remember last year Kubiak went as far as to have John Lynch, who was doing our Seahawks game for Fox that Sunday, he had Lynch give a motivational speech to the team about not giving up in the playoff run.

Don't confuse the game analysts for the moron talking heads at ESPN. The play-by-play analysts are much closer to the teams/players than say for example the idiots on Monday Night Countdown.

I seem to recall the same. I think it was Gannon, but I think that was his opinion of why Smith waited. Pollard also said it took Herm Edwards making some calls for him and waiting to pass a physical that took it until week 3.

Just how I remember it.

Could've been the case but for some reason I still remember him saying Rick Smith told him this is why he waited. I could be wrong.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/10/bernard-pollard-accuses-chiefs-of-trying-to-have-him-blackballed/

Yep I saw both of those publications you posted. There's another message board and a KC publication (can't tell if its a newspaper or not) that had some more tidbits on the release.

Texans_Chick
04-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Here's what I wrote in last December in a comment after I looked into this some:

Things I think I know: 1. KC had some other options at safety; 2. Pollard is very chatty; 3. Pollard loved the respectful yet tough coaching that Herm Edwards did; 4. Pollard had some minor injury issues during camp; 5. Some in KC thought Pollard was a bad lockerroom influence including local beat writer; 6. There's been no reports of that in Houston; 7. Pollard believes that KC badmouthed him to other teams and that he got another chance because Herm Edwards vouched for him. See e.g.: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/10/bernard-pollard-accuses-chiefs-of-trying-to-have-him-blackballed/ There are some players who can be coached by any style of coach, but I believe that there's other players who do better with certain types of coaches. Pollard might be that sort of guy. /total speculation.

I think that at the time the Texans acquired Pollard, they were pretty damn desperate. Their defense was worst in the league, and their safety play among other things on the defense was ridiculously bad.

JB
04-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Also some very good comments here:

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/9/5/1017323/chiefs-release-bernard-pollard-12

Norg
04-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Maybe because he was not that good I mean the cheifs haven't had the most steller record these past 4 years

TheRealJoker
04-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Is it just me or was it an odd "coincidence" that Pollard was released from the Chiefs and their new GM from the Patriots tried to blackball him from the NFL as soon as he arrived the season after injuring Tom Brady?

Giant Tiger
04-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Maybe because he was not that good I mean the cheifs haven't had the most steller record these past 4 years

It's the Chiefs' FO that isn't that good :twocents:

Texan_Bill
04-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Is it just me or was it an odd "coincidence" that Pollard was released from the Chiefs and their new GM from the Patriots tried to blackball him from the NFL as soon as he arrived the season after injuring Tom Brady?

That's pretty interesting, really..

I like Pollard. I like people that talk about knocking the piss out of people - and actually do it. However, I've heard a couple of times now (LZ being one source) that people around the league are waiting for the other foot to drop, inferring that 'some' problem will arise with Pollard...

I hope that speculation falls on deaf ears. Even if, what these folks were saying about Pollard were true, maybe the change of scenery thingy works. Works in reverse of Carl Everrett (Astros). Here he was a model citizen and I hated losing him. Once he left, he became a douche. I hope it's this in reverse.

In any event, we at least have Pollard knocking the piss out of people for another season.

beerlover
04-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Did the Chiefs give up on David Gibbs too? one thing for sure is KC, whatever reason, has really aided the Texans secondary :thisbig:

JB
04-02-2010, 08:40 PM

I like Pollard. I like people that talk about knocking the piss out of people - and actually do it. However, I've heard a couple of times now (LZ being one source) that people around the league are waiting for the other foot to drop, inferring that 'some' problem will arise with Pollard...

I hope that speculation falls on deaf ears. Even if, what these folks were saying about Pollard were true, maybe the change of scenery thingy works. Works in reverse of Carl Everrett (Astros). Here he was a model citizen and I hated losing him. Once he left, he became a douche. I hope it's this in reverse.

In any event, we at least have Pollard knocking the piss out of people for another season.

I have heard rumblings also. Maybe from LZ as well. I think it was in reference to the fact that teams will now have game film on Pollard in the Texans system and will be able to exploit his weaknesses.

Cushing will help correct their delusions...

Wolf
04-02-2010, 08:42 PM
damn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJKdpsZi_10

Thorn
04-02-2010, 08:45 PM
I haven't read a single post in this thead. to drunk.

but the treadttiele is enough to interst me.

I'm glad we have him, and KC doesn't.

Texan_Bill
04-02-2010, 08:46 PM
I have heard rumblings also. Maybe from LZ as well. I think it was in reference to the fact that teams will now have game film on Pollard in the Texans system and will be able to exploit his weaknesses.

Cushing will help correct their delusions...

Again: The Cush> pigeon :)

damn

I think that RB had a little pee pee stream out.

JB
04-02-2010, 08:47 PM
damn

I saw this when we first signed him. Awesome!

Wolf
04-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I haven't checked but one comment said it was marion barber that got blown up

ChampionTexan
04-02-2010, 08:51 PM

I'm not sure now that you phrased it the way you did, but I've always taken LZ's comments regarding Pollard to be about his play on the field, and that now that NFL coaches have had a chance to see him play close to a full season in the Texans defensive scheme, they were going to be able to scheme in a manner that would expose him - similar to the way a rookie QB may have a few good games, and then get eaten alive when more educated game-planning can be done. I'm almost positive I've heard him mention his coverage skills being taken advantage of, and that people are going to exploit the fact that he's an "In the box" safety.

You could be right (assuming I'm even reading your comment correctly), and I'll definitely pay close attention next time it comes up, but I've never gotten the impression before now he was talking about Pollard's off the field problems.

JB
04-02-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure now that you phrased it the way you did, but I've always taken LZ's comments regarding Pollard to be about his play on the field, and that now that NFL coaches have had a chance to see him play close to a full season in the Texans defensive scheme, they were going to be able to scheme in a manner that would expose him - similar to the way a rookie QB may have a few good games, and then get eaten alive when more educated game-planning can be done. I'm almost positive I've heard him mention his coverage skills being taken advantage of, and that people are going to exploit the fact that he's an "In the box" safety.

You could be right, and I'll definitely pay close attention next time it comes up, but I've never gotten the impression before now he was talking about Pollard's off the field problems.

You said that a whole lot better than I did. Thanks!

b0ng
04-02-2010, 08:55 PM
If Pioli was really angry enough about Brady getting hurt by pollard that he went around badmouthing him to other teams that's extremely childish AND hurt his own team in the process over some emotions.

I'd have to think that Pioli is a tad bit smarter than that. But who knows with this league.

Texan_Bill
04-02-2010, 09:01 PM

You could be right (assuming I'm even reading your comment correctly), and I'll definitely pay close attention next time it comes up, but I've never gotten the impression before now he was talking about Pollard's off the field problems.

Absolutely Lance mentioned the film thing, as well as John Harris... The other comments were more to infer that their would be "issues" with Pollard himself. I'm not exactly sure where they were going with it, but that was the inference.

m5kwatts
04-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Did anybody catch my pun with the thread title? The "Chief" being Pioli?

......*crickets*........

Texan_Bill
04-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Did anybody catch my pun with the thread title? The "Chief" being Pioli?

......*crickets*........

Dude! Really? :foottap: It's 'Drunk Thread' time... :texanbill:

JB
04-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Absolutely Lance mentioned the film thing, as well as John Harris... The other comments were more to infer that their would be "issues" with Pollard himself. I'm not exactly sure where they were going with it, but that was the inference.

It may have something to do with this:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/10/bernard-pollard-accuses-chiefs-of-trying-to-have-him-blackballed
"I'm not going to sit here and lie to you," he said, "I don't know why I was cut. I can't do anything but assume. I know what was said about me. The things they said about me weren't right and they know they weren't right."Pollard went into more detail on the things he claims someone from the Chiefs said about him after he was released.

"I don't know who said them. The one thing that disappointed me - I'm not going to go into everything that was said because there were a lot of things that were said but it hurt me - it said I was argumentative and disrespectful to my teammates."

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20091108/SPORTS0605/311089894/1008/SPORTS
“With professional athletes, you’re dealing with grown men. You’re not dealing with boys,” Pollard said. “You’re not in a locker room with sophomores in high school. You’re dealing with grown men with families. I have a wife. I have a son. And I have a daughter on the way. I’m not going to sit there and let you curse me out when you feel like cursing me out or talk to me any way you want to talk to me, and you just want me to sit and take it and say, ‘Yes, coach.’

“I respect others because that’s what I want in return.

Pollardized
04-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Alright, damn it. This thread makes me want to go knock the piss out of somebody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CZdXZLyR9E&playnext_from=TL&videos=0SHKYzczQy4&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_fresh%2Bdiv-1r-1-HM

Pollardized
04-02-2010, 09:26 PM
I think Bernard could fill in admirably at QB if needed. :smiliedance:

Texan_Bill
04-02-2010, 09:35 PM

Alright, damn it. This thread makes me want to go knock the piss out of somebody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CZdXZLyR9E&playnext_from=TL&videos=0SHKYzczQy4&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_fresh%2Bdiv-1r-1-HM

To be clear, all the stuff I heard does not detract from the bolded.....

Brisco_County
04-02-2010, 10:12 PM
The thing that worries me about Pollard is his temper. He took Steven Jackson to the ground in an altercation he started, and he almost got into a fight with Vince Young. He doesn't appear to be in control when he gets emotional.

CloakNNNdagger
04-02-2010, 10:23 PM
If you read all of the Chiefs' fans comments (virtually all very complimentary of Pollard) following this short article (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/10/30/1108248/texans-fans-sure-seem-to-like), you will find some very telling explanation of why Pollard did not "fit." Why he did not fit in the Chiefs' mostly 3-4 and cover 2 system. They predicted that he would thrive as the virtual "4th LB" in a 4-3. There were choice words re. his coaches' decision and the regime, in general. The very last comment was very telling and carries with it a very universally applicable message.

m5kwatts
04-02-2010, 10:27 PM
The thing that worries me about Pollard is his temper. He took Steven Jackson to the ground in an altercation he started, and he almost got into a fight with Vince Young. He doesn't appear to be in control when he gets emotional.

Every great hard hitting safety has to have a little bit of crazy in them

Section516
04-02-2010, 10:27 PM
If you read all of the Chiefs' fans comments (virtually all very complimentary of Pollard) following this short article (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/10/30/1108248/texans-fans-sure-seem-to-like), you will find some very telling explanation of why Pollard did not "fit." Why he did not fit in the Chiefs' mostly 3-4 and cover 2 system. They predicted that he would thrive as the virtual "4th LB" in a 4-3. There were choice words re. his coaches' decision and the regime, in general. The very last comment was very telling and carries with it a very universally applicable message.

Hey, He didn't ask permission to quote me! I want Royalties..

:chickendance:

Hardcore Texan
04-03-2010, 10:47 AM

My thought exactly as I was reading this thread and learning more about why he was cut, I had no ide.

jaayteetx
04-03-2010, 10:48 AM
My thought exactly as I was reading this thread and learning more about why he was cut, I had no ide.

ditto.

Wolf
04-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Casserly did his top 10 mock on the NFL Network and said the Chiefs would go Eric Berry

now I am not saying Pollard is the best there is or anything, but I chuckled a bit (if that happens) being they gave up on Pollard and now might draft a safety

Brisco_County
04-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Casserly did his top 10 mock on the NFL Network and said the Chiefs would go Eric Berry

now I am not saying Pollard is the best there is or anything, but I chuckled a bit (if that happens) being they gave up on Pollard and now might draft a safety

“Who’s been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins?"

--Bill Belichick

TimeKiller
04-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Antonio Smith, Cushing, Pollard....you know what that is? A spine.

JB
04-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Antonio Smith, Cushing, Pollard....you know what that is? A spine.

Don't forget Ryans!

TimeKiller
04-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Ryans is the unquestioned leader on D and a hell of a MLB but he never brought the attitude the 3 I mentioned did.

JB
04-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Ryans is the unquestioned leader on D and a hell of a MLB but he never brought the attitude the 3 I mentioned did.

Oh, I think he always brought it. It just didn't stand out when he was the only one.

m5kwatts
04-03-2010, 10:03 PM

I think he does its just he's been here the longest and gets associated with the bad defenses of the past. Had Cushing/Smith/Pollard been the one's here since 2006 and Demeco been the new guy on the block in 2009, he'd be considered the "attitude difference maker." The defense improved so much in 09 because we added so many better players to it. Demeco got lost in the shuffle and is now thought of as just a "glue guy" at best, but he's the heart and soul of this D. No one wants to see what this defense would be like without him.

leebigeztx
04-04-2010, 12:53 AM
In KC, he and paige were pretty similar. From watching Pollard alot, he didn't make alot of plays in coverage, but once he came to houston, he did. The part about fitting in the run fits are easy for him. I knew once they added him and wilson got back, they would be alot better on defense. Early in the season, barber and busing were taking bad angles and reacting slow alot which gave the backs these huge creases. I think Pioli does a great job, but bill had alot of influence also. Pioli also drafted chad jackson, so he's not perfect.

ObsiWan
04-04-2010, 12:39 PM

SURELY you don't believe there's a connection..??
:D

BigBull17
04-05-2010, 12:54 PM
That's actually true........the rest of the Chief's D sucked eggs...............that left poor Bernard out in the cold.

This is pricless. One of the reasons I heard was he was vocal when people missed assignments or were late to meetings/workouts and it annoyed people. He tried to be a leader type in a locker room full of losers and managment chose the losers over Pollard.

m5kwatts
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
This is pricless. One of the reasons I heard was he was vocal when people missed assignments or were late to meetings/workouts and it annoyed people. He tried to be a leader type in a locker room full of losers and managment chose the losers over Pollard.

Great way of putting it.

Pollardized
04-05-2010, 09:57 PM
I think Bernard could fill in admirably at QB if needed. :smiliedance:

Damn I forgot the video evidence when I posted that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UzXQqHhAXQ

m5kwatts
04-06-2010, 12:27 AM
So where does Pollard rank amongst the elite NFL safety's?

I guess we can put it this way:

Polamalu, Reed - Tier 1

Antrel Rolle, Adrian Wilson, Jairus Byrd, Brian Dawkins, Antoine Bethea, Bernard Pollard? - Tier 2

Hooston Texan
04-06-2010, 01:32 PM
DeMeco is a top-shelf player, but he's not an intimidator. Opponents fear his ability to make plays, but they don't fear the player. Same can be said for Mario. They're not really attitude guys, and our often-soft defense up until week 4 this season was a reflection of that.

But Pollard, Cushing and A. Smith are ornery SOBs. Those guys have foul deeds on their minds, and their injenction of unpleasantness is what turned our defense around the last 13 games of the season. We now have guys that teams dread seeing. Heck, a whole region of the country believes that Pollard is the Anti-Christ. That's gold for a defense.

As for why the Chiefs let Pollard go, I don't think Pioli came to KC looking to get rid of the guy who ended St. Tom's 2008 season. But he wasn't inclined to cut Pollard much slack, either. And when Pollard hit Matt Cassel (the guy Pioli is betting heavily on) low during preseason practice, he was likely a goner. Sounds like Pollard's issues in KC were of the type an intense person has in a losing situation. In Pollard's last 25 games with KC, the Chiefs were 2-23, and they were basically just starting their rebuilding process with a new coach, GM and QB. That had to have driven him nuts--part of being an ornery SOB is to hate losing--so I imagine he wasn't the greatest lockerroom presence in August 2009.

However it happened, I'm glad we've got him. And if he puts together another good season next year, let's lock him up.

BigBull17
04-06-2010, 02:44 PM
DeMeco is a top-shelf player, but he's not an intimidator. Opponents fear his ability to make plays, but they don't fear the player. Same can be said for Mario. They're not really attitude guys, and our often-soft defense up until week 4 this season was a reflection of that.

But Pollard, Cushing and A. Smith are ornery SOBs. Those guys have foul deeds on their minds, and their injenction of unpleasantness is what turned our defense around the last 13 games of the season. We now have guys that teams dread seeing. Heck, a whole region of the country believes that Pollard is the Anti-Christ. That's gold for a defense.

As for why the Chiefs let Pollard go, I don't think Pioli came to KC looking to get rid of the guy who ended St. Tom's 2008 season. But he wasn't inclined to cut Pollard much slack, either. And when Pollard hit Matt Cassel (the guy Pioli is betting heavily on) low during preseason practice, he was likely a goner. Sounds like Pollard's issues in KC were of the type an intense person has in a losing situation. In Pollard's last 25 games with KC, the Chiefs were 2-23, and they were basically just starting their rebuilding process with a new coach, GM and QB. That had to have driven him nuts--part of being an ornery SOB is to hate losing--so I imagine he wasn't the greatest lockerroom presence in August 2009.

However it happened, I'm glad we've got him. And if he puts together another good season next year, let's lock him up.

Demeco got a little more ornery towards the end of the year. I like it. I want people to hate playing us cause we push the boundaries of clean and dirty.

Section516
04-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Ask Shockey about Mecos attitude

CloakNNNdagger
04-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Ask Shockey about Mecos attitude

Indeed, ask Shockey Watch Video of this one-sided encounter with "Meek Mecos." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjxiN8RESSU&feature=related)

JB
04-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Indeed, ask Shockey Watch Video of this one-sided encounter with "Meek Mecos." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjxiN8RESSU&feature=related)

Schockey such a wimp! LoL

ensign_lee
04-07-2010, 11:16 PM
“Who’s been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins?"

--Bill Belichick

Did he really say that? If so, that's freaking awesome. Rep to Belichick if true.

After quick google search, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/04/belichick-whos-been-been-wrong-more-than-charlie-casserly/

Appears it's true. Wow, as much as I dislike his demeanor sometimes, my respect for Belichick just went up.

m5kwatts
04-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Did he really say that? If so, that's freaking awesome. Rep to Belichick if true.

After quick google search, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/04/belichick-whos-been-been-wrong-more-than-charlie-casserly/

Appears it's true. Wow, as much as I dislike his demeanor sometimes, my respect for Belichick just went up.

Casserly reported Brady had 3 broken ribs and the Patriots were keeping it a secret at the end of last season... it was very odd of Casserly to report this and it really never came up again after he reported it.

Texan_Bill
04-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Does it matter if you're knockin' the piss outta people??/

infantrycak
04-08-2010, 11:00 AM

Trying to remember who put the hit on Shockey in the air in the endzone so that the ball came out and it wasn't a TD? Gotta be a video of that.

Rey
04-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Glen Earl?

CloakNNNdagger
04-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Trying to remember who put the hit on Shockey in the air in the endzone so that the ball came out and it wasn't a TD? Gotta be a video of that.

Glen Earl?

It WAS Glenn Earl. Shockey caught the ball, took a step and was leveled by Earl. The hit jarred the ball loose as Shockey landed on his back in the end zone. Officials ruled the pass incomplete. The Giants challenged the call and lost.

This is the only video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ETvfbg6hRM) I could find on it.

threetoedpete
04-08-2010, 08:19 PM
This is pricless. One of the reasons I heard was he was vocal when people missed assignments or were late to meetings/workouts and it annoyed people. He tried to be a leader type in a locker room full of losers and management chose the losers over Pollard.

Pollard is a bit of a psycho. I think he sometimes gets a little carried away and make poor decisions. And with the NFLs policy of maximum protection of older QBs, his bad choices will get you fifteen yards form time to time. I just like the idea of having someone on defense that the other club doesn't exactly know when he'll blow up and psycho comes to play. Antonio Smith gives us a bit of that also. We had too many character guys on defense for my tastes. Need a few psychos to balance things out and give us an edge. The brawl on the sideline in the titans game gave me great hope for the future. They are coming together as a team.

Ryan82
04-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Guess what... O *********G well, yesterday doesn't mean shit. The guy brought what we need and thats all what matters. Now all we need is brandon Jacobson and they will hand us the Super bowl championship at the beginning of the season.