PDA

View Full Version : McNair Reflects and Reveals..........

CloakNNNdagger
04-01-2010, 09:28 PM
.........answers to many questions that have eluded and sometimes confused fans.

Texans Owner Keeps the Faith in His Team and His Coach (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/04/01/texans-owner-keeps-the-faith-in-his-team-and-his-coach/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002&xid=si_nfl)

NitroGSXR
04-01-2010, 09:46 PM
They have almost reached our level.... burn.

He mentions Cal in this article as a person who he gives a lot of weight to. We blast McNair, Smith and Kubiak on a regular basis but what about Cal? We don't discuss him too much. Can anyone give any insight on Cal McNair?

steelbtexan
04-01-2010, 09:56 PM
They have almost reached our level.... burn.

He mentions Cal in this article as a person who he gives a lot of weight to. We blast McNair, Smith and Kubiak on a regular basis but what about Cal? We don't discuss him too much. Can anyone give any insight on Cal McNair?

Nepotism appears to be alive and well.

JB
04-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Wow, that was a great read! A few tidbits I thought was interesting...

We have one of the best quarterbacks (Matt Schuab), the best wide receiver (Andre Johnson), a fine tight end (Owen Daniels), solid offensive linemen ... We'll pick up a running back or two in the draft to solidify our running game

Pretty much telling us again what we will be drafting. Look for Mathews in the first or Tate in the 2nd. Solid OL?

Then I meet with Gary and Rick and Cal. The four of us talk about the game and express ideas and talk offense, defense and special teams. We go down the list and talk about every player. When I am here, I try to go to practice every day. I'm involved. I'm not the coach and I'm not the GM; I have one of each. But I'm involved enough to monitor what is going on. If you are not there, you cannot see people in action. You can't evaluate based on what you've heard.''

You can bet that he has heard the Coaches opinion and GM's and Scout's and is relating the overall ideas that we need a RB! Maybe 2.

I want to bring a championship here. Bringing NFL football back was not enough. Who knows? I look at what the New Orleans Saints just did and I believe that can happen for us. This might be our year. I always try to figure out how to add value. How do we get to be a championship team? That's adding value. And you do it with stable coaching, stable ownership.''

For the bashers that keep saying he is just in it for the money. Listen to the Man! I believe he means what he says and is committed to bringing and NFL championship to Houston. I love the fact that someone would do this for the sports fans of Houston, even if he does line his own pockets be doing so.

Afterall, I watched the Oilers and Fud McDouche since their inception. I have seen an owner that had no interest in the fans or in winning a title, other than the money it would bring him.

On the Cowboys' glitzy new stadium and Dallas hosting the next Super Bowl: "They have almost reached our level.''

:lol:

Norg
04-01-2010, 11:15 PM
they have almost reached our level what does that mean

Texans do got a world class stadium and facilites along with a Pitsburg/old school denver runed team i guess thats what he ment

brakos82
04-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Okay? Who wrote "Bud Ass. Tard. Adams"... :lol:

Insideop
04-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Great article CNNND! Thanks for posting it.

As for McNair, I still am grateful he brought back the NFL to Houston. Maybe things haven't gone as fast as some would like but I don't think we could ask for a better owner. That's probably the best thing about the Oilers leaving, we don't have to deal with bud anymore! McNair has faaaaaaaar more class than ole bud could ever dream of having, and I believe he has more common sense too. I personally like the way he is building the team and think he has the right Coach and GM for the job. Has everything gone perfectly? No! But that's just part of learning and growing like he said. I do believe he, the team and the fans will be rewarded with a championship in the near future. JMHO! :texflag:

midgetonadonkey
04-02-2010, 12:10 AM
I think McNair is a great owner and he will be a winner sooner rather than later. I honestly do think the Texans right now are a better organization than the Oilers ever were. It's good to be a fan of a team with such great ownership. Now if only he would buy the Astros.

IDEXAN
04-02-2010, 06:55 AM
On the 2010 season: "We've got to start out without digging ourselves into a hole -- [play] good football the first half of the year and not wait until the second half. A little luck and we are in the playoffs. If Indianapolis plays its starters the whole game against the Jets, they win and we were in the playoffs instead of the Jets. Breaks and luck. You need a little. But what you want to do is put yourself in a place where luck runs over you. I'm optimistic. This could be the year for us. I do what I've always done -- hope for the best and prepare for the worst.''
(from the link)
Mr McNair, we had a chance to take care of the Jets in our season-opener in
Reliant instead of needing help from another team, and who didn't have his team ready for that game ?
And who had a record in his own division last year of 1-5 ?

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 08:03 AM
On the 2010 season: "We've got to start out without digging ourselves into a hole -- [play] good football the first half of the year and not wait until the second half. A little luck and we are in the playoffs. If Indianapolis plays its starters the whole game against the Jets, they win and we were in the playoffs instead of the Jets. Breaks and luck. You need a little. But what you want to do is put yourself in a place where luck runs over you. I'm optimistic. This could be the year for us. I do what I've always done -- hope for the best and prepare for the worst.''
(from the link)
Mr McNair, we had a chance to take care of the Jets in our season-opener in
Reliant instead of needing help from another team, and who didn't have his team ready for that game ?
And who had a record in his own division last year of 1-5 ?

McNair doesn't let petulant little facts get in the way of great lip service.

McNair likes Kubes, McNair likes K.Brown, They get to keep they're jobs regardless of their performance.

With the $ McNair is making why wouldn't they get to keep their jobs.

El Tejano
04-02-2010, 08:21 AM
On the 2010 season: "We've got to start out without digging ourselves into a hole -- [play] good football the first half of the year and not wait until the second half.

I think he addressed the losing to NYJ part right there.

A little luck and we are in the playoffs. If Indianapolis plays its starters the whole game against the Jets, they win and we were in the playoffs instead of the Jets. Breaks and luck. You need a little. But what you want to do is put yourself in a place where luck runs over you.
Call me crazy but that sounds to me like he's saying we have to make it happen by winning more of our own games.

He did mention that we've had to overcome some adversity and the point of the article was to talk about how we've had alot of new things (OCs, and DCs and HC) over the last few years and the only way to make this thing work is to give everyone their chance to prove themselves.

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Why did they have to overcome this adversity?

Having rookies at key positions in the organization was McNair's choice.

Why did he choose to bring this adversity on himself and the organization. Hiring rookies basically says the organization is willing to go through a 4/5 yr learning curve.

This is why teams usually hire vets like Parcells or Holmgren to run their organization. Proven winners that know how to set up and run an organization.

After 4 yrs we still dont know if Smithiak can build a championship organization. Cleveland knows that within 5 yrs they will have a winning organization.

McNair took/is still taking a huge risk on the Smithiak regime. If they fall on their face this year and with this years schedule it's possible this could happen, where does McNair turn then?

Ole Miss Texan
04-02-2010, 09:08 AM
I like the way McNair is running this organization. He's said from the start he knew that while this is a footall organization it basically boils down to that this is an entertainment company. Obviously winning is a huge part building and sustaining a fanbase, but he looked at it like any other entertainment company and focused on the fans. If the fans don't have a good time, they're not going to come back. This includes hiring the Disney people to come in and train all the service staff, making the corridors in Reliant wider than required to ease walking traffic, and hiring extra police personnel outside of stadium grounds to help with traffic flow leaving the stadium. He says if your stuck in your car for an hour and a half or more like at other stadiums, the fan's last impression of the experience was negative and their not going to want to come back- it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that makes me love how the Texans are run. Going the extra mile to do it the right way. Now all's we's needs is to get ourselves a perrenial playoff team and we'll be set. :fingergun:

Porky
04-02-2010, 09:13 AM
I liked the guy who wrote the comment at the end -

I'm 63 and my family has been part of the NFL for the last 55 years, including yuears my dad was elected into the NFL Hall of Fame. Never do I remember reading quotes spoken by an NFL owner that were as intelligent, aware and involved as those spoken by Mr. McNair. Houston--you are one lucky city and I wish you and your team the best of luck. You have finally risen above any residual effects left by that slimy, loud mouth, egotistical, obnoxious, stupid, disloyal scumbag owner you had previously:
Bud Ass. Tard. Adams

:bravo:

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 09:14 AM
I like the way McNair is running this organization. He's said from the start he knew that while this is a footall organization it basically boils down to that this is an entertainment company. Obviously winning is a huge part building and sustaining a fanbase, but he looked at it like any other entertainment company and focused on the fans. If the fans don't have a good time, they're not going to come back. This includes hiring the Disney people to come in and train all the service staff, making the corridors in Reliant wider than required to ease walking traffic, and hiring extra police personnel outside of stadium grounds to help with traffic flow leaving the stadium. He says if your stuck in your car for an hour and a half or more like at other stadiums, the fan's last impression of the experience was negative and their not going to want to come back- it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that makes me love how the Texans are run. Going the extra mile to do it the right way. Now all's we's needs is to get ourselves a perrenial playoff team and we'll be set. :fingergun:

All of this stuff is nice and everything but I would trade all of it in for a playoff team/SB winner.

It's pathetic that after 8 yrs we are still judged by the fan experience rather than the product/results on the field. IMHO

El Tejano
04-02-2010, 09:25 AM
I liked the guy who wrote the comment at the end -

I'm 63 and my family has been part of the NFL for the last 55 years, including yuears my dad was elected into the NFL Hall of Fame. Never do I remember reading quotes spoken by an NFL owner that were as intelligent, aware and involved as those spoken by Mr. McNair. Houston--you are one lucky city and I wish you and your team the best of luck. You have finally risen above any residual effects left by that slimy, loud mouth, egotistical, obnoxious, stupid, disloyal scumbag owner you had previously:
Bud Ass. Tard. Adams

:bravo:

If you hadn't given the age I would've wondered if this was Bruce Matthews. Ha Ha Ha

Texan_Bill
04-02-2010, 09:33 AM

You really are bitter aren't you? Like McNair has set a precedent by involving family members. :rolleyes:

alphajoker
04-02-2010, 09:47 AM

If I ran a business and my son was a part of it, I would keep him involved as well. Somebody has to take over one day, why not let it be a family member? Or was that sarcasm?

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 09:47 AM
You really are bitter aren't you? Like McNair has set a precedent by involving family members. :rolleyes:

No, he just asked for insight on Cal and his qualifications for his position in the organization. I gave my opinion. I'm certianly not bitter and could careless who Bob gets to run the organization.

I just want to see the results/wins.

Nepotism runs deep in the NFL. Jones/Wilf/York/Mara etc...

If the tax structure is set up right a NFL team can be passed down from generation to generation.

I'm interested to see when Jerry turns the Cowboys over to Stephen.

Or to whom the McCaskey's leave the Bears.

HuttoKarl
04-02-2010, 09:56 AM
"We'll pick up a running back or two in the draft to solidify our running game."

I pray it's two...maybe Ryan Mathews and Lonyae Miller late???? Blount????

infantrycak
04-02-2010, 10:00 AM
"We'll pick up a running back or two in the draft to solidify our running game."

I pray it's two...maybe Ryan Mathews and Lonyae Miller late???? Blount????

Might want to translate that to we'll pick up a running back or two from the draft eligible players. Draft one, pick up another one or two UDFAs.

Ole Miss Texan
04-02-2010, 10:07 AM
All of this stuff is nice and everything but I would trade all of it in for a playoff team/SB winner.

It's pathetic that after 8 yrs we are still judged by the fan experience rather than the product/results on the field. IMHO
I hear you loud and clear and completely concur. I don't want this to be an excuse because it's not, but the league really did change up the rules on us vs. previous expansion teams. Again, that's not an excuse because I'm not confident that Casserly would have done anything constructive with those extra picks!

I think we just had the wrong people running this team during the 1st four years, that's evident. Kubiak wasn't ready the first go around but McNair felt confident in him 4 years later. He even went into the new hire giving Kubes some grace period b/c (i) the team needed completely rebuilding and (ii) GK was learning as a 1st time head coach.

Would I have loved it if the Texans had made the playoffs? Of course, but I don't want to be some one and done team and then go on a couple more years before we make the wild card again. I think I'm a "homer" b/c I really do like the way McNair is sticking with Kubiak/Smith, having continuity, solid respected people, and building this thing for long term success. I think we're really heading in the right direction and once we're there, we're there for a long time. But I can't argue against the fact that it would be so much better if after 8 years we were there. We need to be in the playoffs, we should be in the playoffs, and yet I'm still "hoping" next year is the year. :choke:

I thought he was referring to the Cal questions as "Another guys we can blame!!!". haha

Mailman
04-02-2010, 10:10 AM
I can't decide what's more stunning--McNair's frank honesty and detailed answers or the fact that NFL Fanhouse schooled every Houston media outlet with this story.

Incredible interview. My mouth was agape as I read McNair's comments, especially his spot-on assessment of David Carr and his acknowledgment of the Things Gone Wrong.

If I was ever unconvinced that the current front office has what it takes to bring an NFL winner to Houston, I'm not right now. Bob McNair exudes confidence and leadership. I am pumped for the future of this organization.

Second Honeymoon
04-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Spin spin spin

kubiak is .500 as a head coach
mcnair sure has a lot of confidence for a .500 coach

sounds like .500 is enough to keep your job
they better take a step forward this year
or heads should roll. 1-5 in division is pathetic
and the one win was giftwrapped by Collins unforced fumble
1-5 gets you an extension

kinda pathetic. Kubes didn't deserve a new deal
not at all.. But he is a local 'legend' and inexpensive so alls good
turnstiles still turning
$8 beers still flowing

Mailman
04-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Spin spin spin

turnstiles still turning
$8 beers still flowing

Sounds like Bob McNair is a better judge of Kubiak's job performance than the short-sighted bottom-liners who refuse to acknowledge the full set of circumstances Kubiak was working under and the breaks that didn't go the Texans' way.

"I really thought we'd be in position last year to make the playoffs, but I never indicated if we didn't we were going to change the coaching staff,'' McNair said. "People thought that's what I might do, but I didn't say that. I evaluate and make decisions. It wasn't about being 9-7 like we were, because we could have been 8-8 or 10-6 and I still would have looked at injuries, the opponents ... so much plays into it. Under the circumstances, [Kubiak] did a good job.

"We've been working here in recent years with rookies in place at head coach, general manager, offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator. You have to give them time. As an owner, I want things that last over the long course. I do not believe in giving them experience and then sending them off for someone else to get the benefit.''

Amen to that.

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Spin spin spin

turnstiles still turning
$8 beers still flowing

SH: Quit giving facts supported by cold hard numbers. You're going to get the koolaid drinkers all riled up.

LOL

Mailman
04-02-2010, 10:27 AM
SH: Quit giving facts supported by cold hard numbers. You're going to get the koolaid drinkers all riled up.

LOL

This is STOOPID.

Anyone can look at a coach's record and make determinations based solely upon that. The wise critic looks beyond the record and into the whos, hows, and whys.

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 10:30 AM
This is STOOPID.

Anyone can look at a coach's record and make determinations based solely upon that. The wise critic looks beyond the record and into the whos, hows, and whys.

How are you judged at your job?

After 3 yrs I would hope it would be by production.

If your company isn't judging you by wether you are producing or not they are STOOPID.

Mailman
04-02-2010, 10:36 AM
How are you judged at your job?

After 3 yrs I would hope it would be by production.

If your company isn't judging you by wether you are producing or not they are STOOPID.

The problem is quantifying production. Is it really just about wins and losses and playoff appearances? McNair doesn't necessarily think so, and I agree with him. I guess you think Eric Mangini is a better coach than Gary Kubiak.

WWJD
04-02-2010, 10:51 AM
The only thing that matters in sports is winning. You can have the best fans, the nicest stadium, the greatest parking, the hottest cheerleaders, the best pep band and if you don't win it's all just show. Period.

Texan_Bill
04-02-2010, 10:56 AM
This is STOOPID.

Your first mistake: arguing with self-indulgent dolts.

Your second mistake: using common sense.

JB
04-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Your first mistake: arguing with self-inulgent dolts.

Your second mistake: using common sense.

I thought that was verbotten on this MB!

Texan_Bill
04-02-2010, 10:59 AM

Reading some of (fill in the blank)'s responses, you would certainly be led to believe that.

Mailman
04-02-2010, 11:01 AM
The only thing that matters in sports is winning. You can have the best fans, the nicest stadium, the greatest parking, the hottest cheerleaders, the best pep band and if you don't win it's all just show. Period.

Correct, but there are multiple moving parts involved in building a winner. By the bottom-liner logic, there are 31 failures every year in the NFL. Should coaches be fired for not winning the Super Bowl? And if not, then how are we to define "winning." Is it nine wins? Is it a playoff appearance? Is it multiple playoff appearances? Is it a playoff win? Or is it a conference championship appearance? Any definition of winning that falls short of a Super Bowl victory admits the concessions I'm referring to. At some point you have to allow for more than just the bottom line, and that means a detailed thought process of judging a coach's job performance. As that interview makes clear, Bob McNair cannot be accused of not giving a thoughtful, thorough, and analytical assessment of Gary Kubiak's leadership.

Second Honeymoon
04-02-2010, 11:02 AM
This is STOOPID.

so the wise critic looks beyond the record and looks for excuses?

injuries happen and we had no more than the average NFL team
if you have rookies at important coaching positions, THAT IS ON YOU!!

basically when the Texans screw up, there is always someone just too eager to make excuses

btw thanks for the namecalling TB
but I understand. Truth hurts sometimes. You are forgiven

bottom line is .500 over a 4 year span
horrible divisional record
horrible record against good teams
never show up in the big games that matter (i.e. divisional most of the time)

the wise critic....what a load of bs. you are what you are. .500 and getting extended

but he wasn't expensive and he is a good ole local 'legend'...whoopty freaking doo

Mailman
04-02-2010, 11:09 AM
so the wise critic looks beyond the record and looks for excuses?

injuries happen and we had no more than the average NFL team
if you have rookies at important coaching positions, THAT IS ON YOU!!

basically when the Texans screw up, there is always someone just too eager to make excuses

bottom line is .500 over a 4 year span
horrible divisional record
horrible record against good teams
never show up in the big games that matter (i.e. divisional most of the time)

the wise critic....what a load of bs. you are what you are. .500 and getting extended

but he wasn't expensive and he is a good ole local 'legend'...whoopty freaking doo

Ruh roh, looks like the petulant table-pounder is at it again!

Mailman
04-02-2010, 11:13 AM
"We've been working here in recent years with rookies in place at head coach, general manager, offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator. You have to give them time. As an owner, I want things that last over the long course. I do not believe in giving them experience and then sending them off for someone else to get the benefit.''

This is a very smart man.

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 11:18 AM

Why did McNair put himself through all of the growing pains of hiring all 1st timers GM?HC. Knowing that it would take 4 or 5 yrs for them to hopefully become upper echelon type guys? Instead of hiring a Parcells type guy?

1.They could market the legend comes home (Kubes) after the 2-14 debacle. Marketing was and still is a priorty. I dont blame McNair for this angle. I would've done the same thing. If I was in his shoes.

After a 2-14 season the marketing team needed all of the help it could get.

2. McNair put down a good chunk of his fortune to buy this team. Casserly burned McNair when he had an open checkbook policy at the franchises inception. McNair recouped some of his money by hiring a bunch of rookies. (Smithiak,Coaching staff)

What I dont understand is why McNair reupped Kubes and his medicore record. I think it was because McNair regards Kubes like he did HWNSNBM) loyalty to a fault in this case. IMHO

Texan_Bill
04-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Why did McNair put himself through all of the growing pains of hiring all 1st timers GM?HC. Knowing that it would take 4 or 5 yrs for them to hopefully become upper echelon type guys? Instead of hiring a Parcells type guy?

:spit: Because the first 4 or 5 years with experienced guys didn't work out so well?? :thinking:

:fingergun:

Ole Miss Texan
04-02-2010, 11:23 AM
I don't think they're so much as excuses as they are mitigating factors. You have those in any line of business. i.e. the economy would be a mitigating factor as to why a salesman's sales were down. So if he didn't get the revenue you wanted and you fired him, you're going to have to hire somebody else, get him used to the company, fellow employees, product, etc. Or hire him/someone when the economy picks back up - trouble is your competition may have already snatched him up and you're stuck with product waiting to be sold and nobody sell it.

McNair believes that Kubiak is the man for the job, the guy that can lead this team deep into the playoffs. Some disagree, with good reason. Sometimes you just look at the historical results - .500 coach, you want better so you fire him. The difference is, McNair likes the progress the team has shown, the personnel that is in place, the transition of old coaches out and new ones in. I think just as importantly, he thinks the Texans have a better shot of winning going forward with Kubiak in place than they do if they fired him and had to hire a new coach who would then take a couple years to get "his" coaches in place. Even if the system/players stay the same, there's going to be coaching turnover.

The bottom line is McNair thinks going forward, Kubiak is the quickest way to get this city a winner. The points about past record, division record, etc. are critical but absolutely warranted. The question is, will changing coaches right now make us a winner quicker. Some think yes, some think no. If it's my money... I'm sticking with the guys I've got with Kubiak, Smith, Bush, etc. You may think differently, you're free to, I don't think its dumb/stupid... I get your reasoning but I see it a different way.

JB
04-02-2010, 11:24 AM

1.They could market the legend comes home (Kubes) after the 2-14 debacle. Marketing was and still is a priorty. I dont blame McNair for this angle. I would've done the same thing. If I was in his shoes.

After a 2-14 season the marketing team needed all of the help it could get.

2. McNair put down a good chunk of his fortune to buy this team. Casserly burned McNair when he had an open checkbook policy at the franchises inception. McNair recouped some of his money by hiring a bunch of rookies. (Smithiak,Coaching staff)

What I dont understand is why McNair reupped Kubes and his medicore record. I think it was because McNair regards Kubes like he did HWNSNBM) loyalty to a fault in this case. IMHO

I thought he explained very well why he did a new contract with Kubiak.

Mailman
04-02-2010, 11:27 AM

How many Parcells-type guys take over a fledgling expansion team coming off a 2-14 season? Wasn't Dom Capers highly regarded when McNair hired him?

Or he sees a good coach on the verge of becoming a very good coach and doesn't want to start the whole process all over again.

Tailgate
04-02-2010, 11:30 AM
If the Texans regress next year then fine. Say whatever you want. But until next year is played out... its kind of all premature imo.

Lets put Kubiaks coaching in terms of wins into a line graph. 6, 8, 8, and now 9. Is the arrow pointed up? Lets just pretend the Texans win 10 or more games next year. Then how does the line graph look? Totally acceptable and seemingly set for steady success thereafter? Damn sure thats how it would look to me and would prove everything he is saying about building through the draft for long term success. So lets see where 2010 takes us.

Ole Miss Texan
04-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Because the HC isn't the only guy. In order to get quality coaches and assistants, you're going to have to convince them that they will be given the opportunity to succeed and will be able to work with the people that hired them. Re-signing Kubiak showed the soon-to-be hired (Dennison) and other potential candidates to upgrade your staff, that you are fully committed to to the men in charge. If the wheels fall off, McNair can always fire the entire staff (with no effect to the cap) and hire new. But in the meantime, you gotta show that you're committed to sticking with your guys b/c if you fire your HC every 4 years... you're not going to attract very many quality coaches or assistants. It's much easier to recruit a quality assistant if he sees the front office/management believing in whats going on in the organization instead of scrapping it.

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't think they're so much as excuses as they are mitigating factors. You have those in any line of business. i.e. the economy would be a mitigating factor as to why a salesman's sales were down. So if he didn't get the revenue you wanted and you fired him, you're going to have to hire somebody else, get him used to the company, fellow employees, product, etc. Or hire him/someone when the economy picks back up - trouble is your competition may have already snatched him up and you're stuck with product waiting to be sold and nobody sell it.

McNair believes that Kubiak is the man for the job, the guy that can lead this team deep into the playoffs. Some disagree, with good reason. Sometimes you just look at the historical results - .500 coach, you want better so you fire him. The difference is, McNair likes the progress the team has shown, the personnel that is in place, the transition of old coaches out and new ones in. I think just as importantly, he thinks the Texans have a better shot of winning going forward with Kubiak in place than they do if they fired him and had to hire a new coach who would then take a couple years to get "his" coaches in place. Even if the system/players stay the same, there's going to be coaching turnover.

The bottom line is McNair thinks going forward, Kubiak is the quickest way to get this city a winner. The points about past record, division record, etc. are critical but absolutely warranted. The question is, will changing coaches right now make us a winner quicker. Some think yes, some think no. If it's my money... I'm sticking with the guys I've got with Kubiak, Smith, Bush, etc. You may think differently, you're free to, I don't think its dumb/stupid... I get your reasoning but I see it a different way.

Well thought out, Great post

Repped

Dutchrudder
04-02-2010, 11:31 AM

You could say the same about the Redskins for hiring Kyle Shanahan.

I don't really see what the big deal is, if I were running a business like the NFL I would want people around me that I know I can trust. It's not like his brother is an artist with no knowledge of football and placing him in the role of the head coach.

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Because the HC isn't the only guy. In order to get quality coaches and assistants, you're going to have to convince them that they will be given the opportunity to succeed and will be able to work with the people that hired them. Re-signing Kubiak showed the soon-to-be hired (Dennison) and other potential candidates to upgrade your staff, that you are fully committed to to the men in charge. If the wheels fall off, McNair can always fire the entire staff (with no effect to the cap) and hire new. But in the meantime, you gotta show that you're committed to sticking with your guys b/c if you fire your HC every 4 years... you're not going to attract very many quality coaches or assistants. It's much easier to recruit a quality assistant if he sees the front office/management believing in whats going on in the organization instead of scrapping it.

What is the average logevity of a HC with one team in the NFL?

Dont know this answer but it would give insight into how McNair thinks.

McNair is probably a guy who doesn't like change. He only makes changes if not making a change is going to cost him money.

NitroGSXR
04-02-2010, 11:37 AM
No, he just asked for insight on Cal and his qualifications for his position in the organization. I gave my opinion. I'm certianly not bitter and could careless who Bob gets to run the organization.

I just want to see the results/wins.

Nepotism runs deep in the NFL. Jones/Wilf/York/Mara etc...

If the tax structure is set up right a NFL team can be passed down from generation to generation.

I'm interested to see when Jerry turns the Cowboys over to Stephen.

Or to whom the McCaskey's leave the Bears.
Well, thank you for your input. I do appreciate it. It just wasn't the answer I was looking for. Qualifications, experience, respect league-wise and whatnot. That kind of question...

Tailgate
04-02-2010, 11:38 AM
McNair is probably a guy who doesn't like change. He only makes changes if not making a change is going to cost him money.

Oooooorrrr.... refer back to the post you repped Ole Miss Texan on.

steelbtexan
You could say the same about the Redskins for hiring Kyle Shanahan.

I don't really see what the big deal is, if I were running a business like the NFL I would want people around me that I know I can trust. It's not like his brother is an artist with no knowledge of football and placing him in the role of the head coach.

Just a comment not an indictment.

I was just answering a question.

Ole Miss Texan

Sheesh, that's a good question. I think the Raiders really bring down the average though. :heh:

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 11:43 AM
If the Texans regress next year then fine. Say whatever you want. But until next year is played out... its kind of all premature imo.

Lets put Kubiaks coaching in terms of wins into a line graph. 6, 8, 8, and now 9. Is the arrow pointed up? Lets just pretend the Texans win 10 or more games next year. Then how does the line graph look? Totally acceptable and seemingly set for steady success thereafter? Damn sure thats how it would look to me and would prove everything he is saying about building through the draft for long term success. So lets see where 2010 takes us.

Agreed

We'll just have to see how it plays out

That's the fun part.

Reupping for tickets while waiting to see how it plays out is the part that stinks.

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 11:45 AM
How many Parcells-type guys take over a fledgling expansion team coming off a 2-14 season? Wasn't Dom Capers highly regarded when McNair hired him?

Not by me,

Another Casserly screw up

Or he sees a good coach on the verge of becoming a very good coach and doesn't want to start the whole process all over again.

Parcells did take over 1-15 Miami team

Mailman
04-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Parcells did take over 1-15 Miami team

Not an expansion team, and not as a head coach. The Dolphins may have been 1-15, but the franchise is a marquee name with a storied NFL past.

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 11:51 AM
:spit: Because the first 4 or 5 years with experienced guys didn't work out so well?? :thinking:

:fingergun:

You're such an Aggie homer

If Kubes wasn't an Aggie it would be off with his head.

LOL

TexansFight
04-02-2010, 11:53 AM
steelbtexan and Second Honeymoon are spot on in this thread. It comes down to results and based on that criteria (which is a hallmark of well run franchises) Kubiak should have been fired for his pathetic 1-5 division record alone.

I don't get why so many Texans fans are content with mediocrity. I am sick of the excuses made for the lack of performance. I really believe the pathetically soft Houston sports media and Kool Aid drinking fans are a big part of the problem as it allows McNair to keep feeding us dog shit at filet mignon prices because he doesn't feel the pressure that others do in cities like Philly, New York, etc.

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 11:55 AM
steelbtexan and Second Honeymoon are spot on in this thread. It comes down to results and based on that criteria (which is a hallmark of well run franchises) Kubiak should have been fired for his pathetic 1-5 division record alone.

I don't get why so many Texans fans are content with mediocrity. I am sick of the excuses made for the lack of performance. I really believe the pathetically soft Houston sports media and Kool Aid drinking fans are a big part of the problem as it allows McNair to keep feeding us dog shit at filet mignon prices because he doesn't feel the pressure that others do in cities like Philly, New York, etc.

Well that's one way to put it.

LOL

JB
04-02-2010, 11:58 AM

I don't understand why people keep saying this. I don't think anyone is content with mediocrity. I just believe that we are heading in the right direction. As McNair said, you have to take a look at what the cost would be of making a change. If you bring in a new head coach every 4 yrs or so, the new coach is going to have a new scheme and that means he will have to rebuild to get the players for his scheme. Add a few years to the progression of the franchise.

Making a change just to make a change is a horrible way to run a business.

Thorn
04-02-2010, 12:06 PM

Translation for the rest of us: Yall don't think the way I do, so you are wrong and accept mediocrity and/or are happy with losing seasons.

Ole Miss Texan
04-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Gary Kubiak, Rick Smith, Frank Bush

Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, Eric Winston, Kevin Walter, Steve Slaton (kinda), Vonta Leach, Mario Williams, Antonio Smith, Brian Cushing, Demeco Ryans, Bernard Pollard, performances from guys like Zac Diles, Glover Quin, Jacoby Jones, David Anderson, Mike Brisiel, Connor Barwin, the potential of guys like Duane Brown, Antoine Caldwell, Xavier Adibi, James Casey, Brice McCain, Amobi Okoye, etc etc

THIS team has me excited, I'm really looking forward to the guys we add from the deep draft and REALLY like our chances of shortly becoming a dominant team.

Can you imagine if... no, WHEN we add a playmaker at RB from the draft?
This Offense = :firework:

ObsiWan
04-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Translation for the rest of us: Yall don't think the way I do, so you are wrong and accept mediocrity and/or are happy with losing seasons.

Oh THAT'S what it means.
hehehehehe
old Soapers never die, they just gripe away.

Thorn
04-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Oh THAT'S what it means.
hehehehehe
old Soapers never die, they just gripe away.

And you know, it's not like I'm thrilled with the fact we've never been to the playoffs, and that last season was a kick in the gut. It's just after a while I get SO tired of the bitchin' and moanin'.

It's a new year, last year is over with. Let's wait for the new season to at least start before we start bitching or drinking the kool-aid.

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Gary Kubiak, Rick Smith, Frank Bush

Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, Eric Winston, Kevin Walter, Steve Slaton (kinda), Vonta Leach, Mario Williams, Antonio Smith, Brian Cushing, Demeco Ryans, Bernard Pollard, performances from guys like Zac Diles, Glover Quin, Jacoby Jones, David Anderson, Mike Brisiel, Connor Barwin, the potential of guys like Duane Brown, Antoine Caldwell, Xavier Adibi, James Casey, Brice McCain, Amobi Okoye, etc etc

THIS team has me excited, I'm really looking forward to the guys we add from the deep draft and REALLY like our chances of shortly becoming a dominant team.

Can you imagine if... no, WHEN we add a playmaker at RB from the draft?
This Offense = :firework:

This is what I'mlooking forward to next season. They need one moe interior OL too. IMHO

There's talent there no question about that. McNair and you think Kubes is the one to get the team over the top. I hope y'all are right.

Revolution
04-02-2010, 12:34 PM

...Stands up and gives a HELL YEAH! :texflag:

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 12:34 PM
And you know, it's not like I'm thrilled with the fact we've never been to the playoffs, and that last season was a kick in the gut. It's just after a while I get SO tired of the bitchin' and moanin'.

It's a new year, last year is over with. Let's wait for the new season to at least start before we start bitching or drinking the kool-aid.

Thorn when would be a good time to voice concerns about the direction the franchise is headed?

After the draft?

At TC

Just asking

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 12:39 PM
The average life span a HC gets to turn a team around is 5 yrs. This is year 5.

There will be more excuses if they dont make the playoffs this year. It gets tiring after awhile.

For me it's make the playoffs or bust. But it doesn't matter what I think. Only what McNair thinks.

Thorn
04-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Thorn when would be a good time to voice concerns about the direction the franchise is headed?

After the draft?

At TC

Just asking

* heavy sigh *

Any time is a good time I suppose. Me telling yall what you can and can't post is as stupid on my part as I think yall's continual bitching about the Texans is. So, go for it. Yall *****, and I'll ***** about your bitching.

Does that work for you? :)

CloakNNNdagger
04-02-2010, 02:08 PM

According to the 2004 book Winning the NFL Way: Leadership Lessons From Football's Top Head Coaches ,

Being an NFL coach is the ultimate high-pressure job. The average life span of a coach is two and a half years, so there is an enormous amount of pressure and scrutiny, from demanding owners, millions of fickle fans, and unyielding media. Every Sunday he makes split-second decisions that will not only decide the fate of a game but also his team's season and, ultimately, his own job.

ObsiWan
04-02-2010, 02:21 PM

Works for me.
Besides, in a couple of weeks or so, we all can ***** about who they did or didn't draft.
:)

False Start
04-02-2010, 02:26 PM
...Stands up and gives a HELL YEAH! :texflag:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/hekkyes.jpg

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 06:54 PM
* heavy sigh *

Any time is a good time I suppose. Me telling yall what you can and can't post is as stupid on my part as I think yall's continual bitching about the Texans is. So, go for it. Yall *****, and I'll ***** about your bitching.

Does that work for you? :)

It doesn't work for me.

LOL

Texan_Bill
04-02-2010, 07:03 PM
You're such an Aggie homer

If Kubes wasn't an Aggie it would be off with his head.

LOL

Honestly it has nothing to do with him being an Aggie, going to St. Pius or being Elway's back-up for that matter. I like the fact the he took a shit team, essentially turned the roster over and are now on the cusp of the playoffs... It's really that simple.

The fact is that if the Texans hadn't hired him away from Denver, Kubiak would be a head coach somewhere else in the league by now.

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Giving a local legend and former A&M great twice the average of the typical HC in the NFL wont be enough for the Aggie fans on this MB.

There will be injuries,excuses and more mediocrity but it wont matter to McNair and the rest of the Aggies on this MB. If you just give Kubes one more year he will make this team great.

Kubes will do this because he's a local legend and gosh darn it an all around great guy.

Wash-Rinse-and Repeat

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 07:09 PM
The fact is that if the Texans hadn't hired him away from Denver, Kubiak would be a head coach somewhere else in the league by now.[/QUOTE]

How do you know this to be a fact?

Who was beating down Kubes door to hire him?

Thorn
04-02-2010, 07:29 PM
It doesn't work for me.

LOL

Well, that would be to ****ing bad. :lol:

Wolf
04-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Giving a local legend and former A&M great twice the average of the typical HC in the NFL wont be enough for the Aggie fans on this MB.

There will be injuries,excuses and more mediocrity but it wont matter to McNair and the rest of the Aggies on this MB. If you just give Kubes one more year he will make this team great.

Kubes will do this because he's a local legend and gosh darn it an all around great guy.

Wash-Rinse-and Repeat

wow, just wow

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Well, that would be to ****ing bad. :lol:

LOL

Have you had a great Good Friday?

Golf was good.

Scooter
04-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Why did they have to overcome this adversity?

Having rookies at key positions in the organization was McNair's choice.

Why did he choose to bring this adversity on himself and the organization. Hiring rookies basically says the organization is willing to go through a 4/5 yr learning curve.

This is why teams usually hire vets like Parcells or Holmgren to run their organization. Proven winners that know how to set up and run an organization.

After 4 yrs we still dont know if Smithiak can build a championship organization. Cleveland knows that within 5 yrs they will have a winning organization.

McNair took/is still taking a huge risk on the Smithiak regime. If they fall on their face this year and with this years schedule it's possible this could happen, where does McNair turn then?

Wash-Rinse-and Repeat

please stop.

Texan_Bill
04-02-2010, 08:10 PM
please stop.

NO!!! Let 'em go. It's a source of entertainment for me.. :lol:

Second Honeymoon
04-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Honestly it has nothing to do with him being an Aggie, going to St. Pius or being Elway's back-up for that matter. I like the fact the he took a shit team, essentially turned the roster over and are now on the cusp of the playoffs... It's really that simple.

The fact is that if the Texans hadn't hired him away from Denver, Kubiak would be a head coach somewhere else in the league by now.

simply laughable

there was a reason he never got a job before the Texans

in fact, we didn't even hire him in 2002...what did he do between then and 2006?

oh that's right, nothing except stay cheap and stay local 'legend'

whatever, you have your .500 hero and you have your delusions

and unlike you, i wont resort to name calling or being a complete ass about it

kubiak is .500...he is your hero

congratulations

Texan_Bill
04-02-2010, 08:33 PM
simply laughable

in fact, we didn't even hire him in 2002...what did he do between then and 2006?

congratulations

HA!!!! What's laughable are your oft unintelligeble, agenda driven diabtribes.

simply laughable

This is FAIL

Scooter
04-02-2010, 08:34 PM
simply laughable

congratulations

kubiak could've been head coach long before he interviewed for the 2002 texans. i've got no interest in digging up the reports, but to even assume the OC of back to back superbowl champs doesnt have half the league beating down his door is just plain ignorant.

JB
04-02-2010, 08:42 PM
kubiak could've been head coach long before he interviewed for the 2002 texans. i've got no interest in digging up the reports, but to even assume the OC of back to back superbowl champs doesnt have half the league beating down his door is just plain ignorant.

I think Brakos would call it Rule 4. No facts or common sense allowed in this thread.

Wolf
04-02-2010, 08:51 PM
http://13.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_komboe44671qzhsn4o1_r1_400.jpg

JB
04-02-2010, 08:52 PM

And suffering leads to whining and moaning which leads to fear of hearing more!

Wolf
04-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Now he's determined to do the same for Houston.

“I always wanted an opportunity to be a head coach, but I always liked the job I had,” he said. “I didn't want to be a head coach just to be a head coach. I wanted an opportunity that was special.

“I interviewed for (the Texans) job the first time it came around. I never dreamed the opportunity would come around again in my hometown. It's special.”

http://m.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/Dec/11/kubiak-has-stayed-true-to-his-roots/

dalemurphy
04-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Oddly, SH and Steelbtexan found quite a bit of time in their busy schedules once an article appeared that could be spun negatively towards Bob McNair... Demeco Ryans gets a 6 year contract and they have almost nothing to say. However, an article that discusses problems with the organiztion from 5, 6, or 7 years ago, now that deserves hours upon hours of rehashing and complaining. Interesting.

Texan_Bill
04-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Oddly, SH and Steelbtexan found quite a bit of time in their busy schedules once an article appeared that could be spun negatively towards Bob McNair... Demeco Ryans gets a 6 year contract and they have almost nothing to say. However, an article that discusses problems with the organiztion from 5, 6, or 7 years ago, now that deserves hours upon hours of rehashing and complaining. Interesting.

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 11:12 PM

I'm glad McNair re-signed Ryans and Pollard. He would've been stupid not to re-sign them. Good job Bob. What more do you want me to say?

I said good job in another thread. If you want me to I will say good job in all threads from now until TC.

Thanks for signing Ryans and Pollard
Thanks for signing ryans and Pollard

And so on and so on, Good enough or do we need a praise be to Bob

Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob ETC.............................

How about making the playoffs

LOL

steelbtexan
04-02-2010, 11:18 PM
NO!!! Let 'em go. It's a source of entertainment for me.. :lol:

Glad to entertain you. I'm not as good as the entertainment as the entertainment at Treasures, The Mens Club,St.James etc... but I will keep trying.

Second Honeymoon
04-02-2010, 11:28 PM

i gotta call bs on this
you must not be paying attention because I posted plenty on the DeMeco thread

i love my Texans and consider myself a pretty rabid fan but sometimes I can't post on a topic immediately. i would hope that wouldn't be automatically considered like I was ducking the issue or somehow thinking it would be humble pie because McNair paid Ryans. nothing could be further from the truth.

just sayin, but i dont think i have ever shown a propensity to try and sugarcoat anything or lift up my skirt and run when something i didn't expect to happen happens or when something happens that some people would assume i wouldn't be happy about. i expected demeco to be re-signed and he was. they frontloaded the deal which makes sense too. its a win-win and proves again that McNair can retain key players (AJ, DR, and last year with Dunta) my problem has been the ability to attract, lure, and finish the deal on players that could be key for us and instrumental in taking the next step as a franchise, and for giving Kubiak an extension after a .500 record. Play out your contract, and please don't give me the BS about luring assistants. Gary was inexpensive and convenient. Any prospective OC would be doing cartwheels to come to our offense with the talent we have and established quality starters at every position except G, C, and RB. Prospective OCs would be more than happy to come to Houston either way. Just another excuse is all it is by the Kool Aid Krew.

I don't see how expecting and wanting more is so vilified by the KoolAid Kids. Spend the money and get a better HC if Gary craps the bed again this year. No more stupid mistakes by the coaching staff. Stop coming out flat. Play with some more intensity (which did improve this year, mind you) and stop shooting yourself in the foot. Stop making stupid decisions. Is that too much to ask?

I am sorry guys, Kubiak lost me on that play against the Colts where he calls a timeout giving Caldwell ANOTHER opportunity to throw the replay flag. It was clear to everyone in the world but dumbass Gary that the guy fumbled it into the end zone. Snap the ball and spike it. It's pretty simple and that one brainfart by Gary cost us the playoffs just as much as coming out like a bunch of Girl Scouts against the Jets in our Home Opener. Plus the love affair with Chris Myers and Chris Brown cost us big time. Myers has been total garbage since Day One and Chris Brown cost us more than a few games. Nice call on the option pass too, Gary. Just a total sh*t for brains move.

Texan_Bill
04-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Glad to entertain you. I'm not as good as the entertainment as the entertainment at Treasures, The Mens Club,St.James etc... but I will keep trying.

Nice!!! ;)

dalemurphy
04-03-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm glad McNair re-signed Ryans and Pollard. He would've been stupid not to re-sign them. Good job Bob. What more do you want me to say?

I said good job in another thread. If you want me to I will say good job in all threads from now until TC.

Thanks for signing ryans and Pollard

And so on and so on, Good enough or do we need a praise be to Bob

Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob
Praise be to Bob ETC.............................

How about making the playoffs

LOL

You don't seem to have a problem repeating yourself over and over when being critical of the organization. Can you not see that it is peculiar that you get so excited and energized to complain about the team that you root for and yet are almost silent when good things happen.

Believe me, I understand reacting strongly after a bad game or when Kasey Studdard makes the roster. However, it's April. The Texans finally had a winning record last season. The team is very young and quite talented. We have all our draft picks. Ryans has been re-signed. OD and Pollard are staying put. We've added a nice player for the interior line. We've lost one contributor to last season's squad. We've upgraded the coaching staff.

So, what happens: a thread pops up that Demeco Ryans will be here for the next 6 years and most of you that argued Bob McNair was too cheap, too indifferent, or too stupid to sign him have very little to say about it. Then, a day later, an article rehashing the beginning years of the franchise appears, and you have about 25 negative posts on it. I'm thinking that being a Texan fan isn't much fun for you. And, that's a shame.

Texan_Bill
04-03-2010, 12:23 AM
i gotta call bs on this
you must not be paying attention because I posted plenty on the DeMeco thread

i love my Texans and consider myself a pretty rabid fan but sometimes I can't post on a topic immediately. i would hope that wouldn't be automatically considered like I was ducking the issue or somehow thinking it would be humble pie because McNair paid Ryans. nothing could be further from the truth.

just sayin, but i dont think i have ever shown a propensity to try and sugarcoat anything or lift up my skirt and run when something i didn't expect to happen happens or when something happens that some people would assume i wouldn't be happy about. i expected demeco to be re-signed and he was. they frontloaded the deal which makes sense too. its a win-win and proves again that McNair can retain key players (AJ, DR, and last year with Dunta) my problem has been the ability to attract, lure, and finish the deal on players that could be key for us and instrumental in taking the next step as a franchise, and for giving Kubiak an extension after a .500 record. Play out your contract, and please don't give me the BS about luring assistants. Gary was inexpensive and convenient. Any prospective OC would be doing cartwheels to come to our offense with the talent we have and established quality starters at every position except G, C, and RB. Prospective OCs would be more than happy to come to Houston either way. Just another excuse is all it is by the Kool Aid Krew.

I don't see how expecting and wanting more is so vilified by the KoolAid Kids. Spend the money and get a better HC if Gary craps the bed again this year. No more stupid mistakes by the coaching staff. Stop coming out flat. Play with some more intensity (which did improve this year, mind you) and stop shooting yourself in the foot. Stop making stupid decisions. Is that too much to ask?

I am sorry guys, Kubiak lost me on that play against the Colts where he calls a timeout giving Caldwell ANOTHER opportunity to throw the replay flag. It was clear to everyone in the world but dumbass Gary that the guy fumbled it into the end zone. Snap the ball and spike it. It's pretty simple and that one brainfart by Gary cost us the playoffs just as much as coming out like a bunch of Girl Scouts against the Jets in our Home Opener. Plus the love affair with Chris Myers and Chris Brown cost us big time. Myers has been total garbage since Day One and Chris Brown cost us more than a few games. Nice call on the option pass too, Gary. Just a total sh*t for brains move.

:yawn: thanks for more tired, boring........... typical drivel....

You rock on my entertainment radar.... Love ya!!!!!!!! Mean it!!!! lol:

Keep it coming! This is some funny shite!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, btw have I called you a name?? I know you're sensitive that way.

dalemurphy
04-03-2010, 12:35 AM
I am sorry guys, Kubiak lost me on that play against the Colts where he calls a timeout giving Caldwell ANOTHER opportunity to throw the replay flag. It was clear to everyone in the world but dumbass Gary that the guy fumbled it into the end zone..

This is what I take issue with. You are so anxious to attack the Texans that you don't even bother to concern yourself with accuracy:

1. No timeout was called. It was the 2:00 minute warning. The argument at the time was that they should've run up to the line and either spiked the ball or called a play before the two minute warning.

2. If the fumble was so clear to everyone, why did Caldwell not throw the flag until the 2:00 minute warning.

3. Caldwell said after the fact that the stadium didn't show the replay until after the 2:00 minute warning. Normally, he said, his home stadium is very good about giving him a look at a close play in that situation.

4. It was not clearly a fumble. That was a call that could've gone either way.

5. Name a coach that hasn't made a bonehead call? They all do. You guys have a valid argument concerning Kubiak when you bring up his record the past two seasons and the way the Texans don't consisently finish off games in the second half. But, cherry-picking a miscalculation on an instant replay seems a bit of a reach. Particularly, if you watched the absurd things Belichek did last season.

barrett
04-03-2010, 01:10 AM
I'm actually kind of excited by the fact that Cal is pretty much right there at Mr. McNair's side during all of the day to day operations.

He's relatively young and takes a substantial intrest in the Texans.

I was thinking about a few different organizations and their ownership situations while everyone complains about this one.

I have a friend or two that are Redskins fans and they are hopeless because their owner is very young and well, they're kind of stuck with him.

Then on the other side of the coin you have Al Davis who refuses to die but equally, refuses to give up control of the circus of the decade.

Mr. McNair appears to be in fairly good health but for me, and I know I'm thinking waaaaaay down the road, but It's comforting to know that Cal is right there learning the ropes and seems genuinely interested.

sorry for the tangent... back to your sand box fight. don't eat the cat sh!t.

steelbtexan
04-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Cal might be great, we dont know. Obviously he has Bob's ear.

Hopefully it will be like the Joneses. Where Stephen listened to the coaches and offensive leaders on the team.

Stephen took their opinion to Jerry and told Jerry TO needed to go.

Fortunately for the Cowgirls Jerry listened to Stephen.

Lets hope this happens with the Bob and Cal.

WWJD
04-03-2010, 01:10 PM

Hopefully it will be like the Joneses. Where Stephen listened to the coaches and offensive leaders on the team.

All 3 of Jerry's kids are involved with decisions regarding the Cowboys but Stephen will be the one to take over. Terrell might still be there if Stephen hadn't laid the law down to his dad.

thunderkyss
04-03-2010, 03:02 PM

There is no guarantee that a Parcells type guy would have done any different. Remember what Parcells did in Dallas... not much different from where we are today, 4 years after Kubiak. Holmgren had 10 years in Seattle, how did that turn out?

What was the honest opinion of Dungy going to Indy? The HC that can't win the big one, with the QB that can't win the big one?

McNair's reasoning is sound in my mind for extending Kubiak's contract. He's done a good job building our team, and teaching our guys how to play at this level.

I don't disagree that we need to see more wins. But I believe they are coming. There is plenty of evidence to support that thinking.

thunderkyss
04-03-2010, 03:22 PM

The bottom line is McNair thinks going forward, Kubiak is the quickest way to get this city a winner.
I like your analogy, I think it's very appropriate for our situation. It's arguable that the AFC South is the strongest division in the league, but the AFC North looks pretty scary as well. Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Baltimore. Then Miami is getting stronger and so are the Jets, and so is Denver.

Not making excuses, but look at how many teams were in the race for the wildcard in weeks 15, 16, & 17. IMHO, there are only 3 bad teams in the AFC right now. A bunch of mediocre teams, and 4 solidly good teams.

Yes, there are probably coaches & GMs out there, that probably could have improved our W/L each year by one or two games, but I don't believe there are many that could have had built a team ripe with talent that improves on the field every year, and maintain an improving W/L. 6-10, 8-8, 8-8, 9-7....

The points about past record, division record, etc. are critical but absolutely warranted. The question is, will changing coaches right now make us a winner quicker. Some think yes, some think no. If it's my money... I'm sticking with the guys I've got with Kubiak, Smith, Bush, etc. You may think differently, you're free to, I don't think its dumb/stupid... I get your reasoning but I see it a different way.

Either way, I think it's a gamble, a question of probability. What are the chances that we're going to get a first year Mike Smith, Tony Sparano, or Sean Peyton? What are the chances that we land Gruden, who can take us to & win the SuperBowl his first year? What are the chances we can land Cowher, implement a hard-nose ground attack, a 3-4 defense, and get us to the play-offs year one?

I'm with you, I think our chances of a championship, or a play-off win is much better with the guys that got us here.

& no, I don't think we are a Championship team right now, but the way the NFL works, you don't have to be. I think last years team was good enough to beat any team in the play-offs, if we had got there. I have faith that Kubiak & Smith will field a team as good if not better than that team in 2010.

steelbtexan
04-03-2010, 03:28 PM
There is no guarantee that a Parcells type guy would have done any different. Remember what Parcells did in Dallas... not much different from where we are today, 4 years after Kubiak. Holmgren had 10 years in Seattle, how did that turn out?

What was the honest opinion of Dungy going to Indy? The HC that can't win the big one, with the QB that can't win the big one?

McNair's reasoning is sound in my mind for extending Kubiak's contract. He's done a good job building our team, and teaching our guys how to play at this level.

I don't disagree that we need to see more wins. But I believe they are coming. There is plenty of evidence to support that thinking.

Holmgren won aSB at Green Bay so he had a track record. He took Seattle to the SB and would've won it if not for th refs.

While I'm not a Dungy fan he did have atrack record of building a good defense and took Tampa to the playoffs many times. So he had a good track record.

Kubes has done a god job rebuilding this team. Where we differ is I dont think Kubes is a SB winning coach. You do, I hope I'm wrong.

What evidence suggests that more wins are comming? 7-9,8-8,8-8,9-7. I dont see a whole lot of improvement. But maybe I'm blinded by their record. I hope that's the case.

Wolf
04-03-2010, 03:57 PM
things are pretty clear when hindsight is 20/20

Second Honeymoon
04-03-2010, 04:00 PM
This is what I take issue with. You are so anxious to attack the Texans that you don't even bother to concern yourself with accuracy:

1. No timeout was called. It was the 2:00 minute warning. The argument at the time was that they should've run up to the line and either spiked the ball or called a play before the two minute warning.

2. If the fumble was so clear to everyone, why did Caldwell not throw the flag until the 2:00 minute warning.

3. Caldwell said after the fact that the stadium didn't show the replay until after the 2:00 minute warning. Normally, he said, his home stadium is very good about giving him a look at a close play in that situation.

4. It was not clearly a fumble. That was a call that could've gone either way.

5. Name a coach that hasn't made a bonehead call? They all do. You guys have a valid argument concerning Kubiak when you bring up his record the past two seasons and the way the Texans don't consisently finish off games in the second half. But, cherry-picking a miscalculation on an instant replay seems a bit of a reach. Particularly, if you watched the absurd things Belichek did last season.

ok, not necessarily a timeout, but Kubiak just let the clock go down and didn't run a play when everyone knew that was a fumble and a reversal would jeopardize a First and Goal opportunity.

are you serious? you don't think that was a fumble? that just shows the bias you play with. clearly it was a fumble.

here is the bottom line. gary was scared of giving Peyton an extra 10 seconds on the clock so he let it run down. so in order to protect 10 lousy seconds, he blew a 1st and Goal opportunity that was there for the taking. I was watching with my friends and every last one of us were like 'spike the freaking ball' and then when they let the clock run down because Gary coaches like a scared little girl....and it came back to bite us.

was he not watching the play like he does with fields goals....total wuss
was he hiding behind the Denny's menu in fear of the outcome....total wuss

kubiak is .500 coach and for some reason a lot of you think he is going to take us to the Super Bowl...forgive me for not buying it.

I can understand TB's myopia. After all, Kubiak is the best err only QB that Texas A&M has had that has been worth a crap...so he has a bias that makes him blind to the facts and to Kubiak's ineptitude as a game day decision maker and an in-game adjustment manager.

barrett
04-03-2010, 04:05 PM

Actually, I hope it will be like the McNair's where Bob writes the checks and hires football people that he believes in and lets them do their jobs. It's been a learning experience for him. I recognize that, but at least he's learning unlike Jerry who has to have his kids smack him upside his plastic face and say "daddy, this isn't working. please change things."

Why not hire coaches competent enough to not even bring in a guy like that? Why not let football people make football decisions? Jerry Jones is not a good GM. As a good buisiness man he knows that but this is his one baby where making money will come anyway. Owning an NFL franchise is easy money. So he can play big baby and make a killing.

I'd rather have Mr. McNair and Cal sitting next to him listening to Smithiak any day.

Either way, I think it's a gamble, a question of probability. What are the chances that we're going to get a first year Mike Smith, Tony Sparano, or Sean Peyton? What are the chances that we land Gruden, who can take us to & win the SuperBowl his first year? What are the chances we can land Cowher, implement a hard-nose ground attack, a 3-4 defense, and get us to the play-offs year one?

I'm with you, I think our chances of a championship, or a play-off win is much better with the guys that got us here.

& no, I don't think we are a Championship team right now, but the way the NFL works, you don't have to be. I think last years team was good enough to beat any team in the play-offs, if we had got there. I have faith that Kubiak & Smith will field a team as good if not better than that team in 2010.

I think a big difference between us and those coaching situations is that all of them took steps backwards after their successful first seasons. Gruden was never as successful as he was that first year that he took over Dungy's team. Did he get them over the top? Perhaps, but it's only part of the equation. Sparano and Parcells have done a terrific job of utilizing the talent that they have but it is already being phased out. Payton is the big winner here (and not just because of the obvious superbowl win.) He has bounced back with go figure, multiple 8-8 seasons and then ultimate success.

I think you're dead right about the last comment you made about the Texans going into the playoffs last year. We were playing as good as any team in the NFL. We could have beaten any of those teams if the chips fell right. I wouldn't be surprised if Cincy laid down for that reason specifically.

Wolf
04-03-2010, 04:19 PM
ok, not necessarily a timeout, but Kubiak just let the clock go down and didn't run a play when everyone knew that was a fumble and a reversal would jeopardize a First and Goal opportunity.

are you serious? you don't think that was a fumble? that just shows the bias you play with. clearly it was a fumble.

here is the bottom line. gary was scared of giving Peyton an extra 10 seconds on the clock so he let it run down. so in order to protect 10 lousy seconds, he blew a 1st and Goal opportunity that was there for the taking. I was watching with my friends and every last one of us were like 'spike the freaking ball' and then when they let the clock run down because Gary coaches like a scared little girl....and it came back to bite us.

kubiak is .500 coach and for some reason a lot of you think he is going to take us to the Super Bowl...forgive me for not buying it.

I can understand TB's myopia. After all, Kubiak is the best err only QB that Texas A&M has had that has been worth a crap...so he has a bias that makes him blind to the facts and to Kubiak's ineptitude as a game day decision maker and an in-game adjustment manager.

you swing that pendulum way to the other side

I as far as the Texas A&M thing where do some of y'all get that crap? I don't recall ANYONE giving someone a free pass because of the school they went to

seems to be a Big foot argument.. heard about but never seen

The Pencil Neck
04-03-2010, 04:27 PM
I support Kubiak because I think he's a good coach. I think he has this team moving in the right direction. And I expect great things from him in the future.

I do NOT support Kubiak because he's from Houston. I do NOT support Kubiak because he's an Aggie.

I really do not care where a coach comes from or what school he went to or what teams he played on as a player. I just want the coach to be able to put together a great team and win.

Kubiak has not been a rookie coach since his first season. Smith hasn't been a rookie GM since his first season. I think they've both improved and continue to improve.

I think changing either at this point would probably be counter productive.

barrett
04-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Many of the Aggies in my family talked about it when I was growing up. "Aggie Ring Stories". Guys flash their ring and things happened for them. Job interviews and the like.

I dropped out and got into the music industry so that doesn't really fly but I can say at least at one time it may have carried some weight.

Do I think that has ANYTHING to do with Kubiak in the NFL?

nope.

JB
04-03-2010, 05:50 PM

Actually, when it happened, it looked like a fumble out of bounds. And the player that recovered it had one foot out of bounds when it happened and did not re-establish position in bounds before he had control of the ball. Simply a bad call.

dalemurphy
04-03-2010, 07:22 PM

Sorry, I meant to say that I think it was a close call whether it should've been a change of posession or not. There were two issues at hand on that play: Moats may have been out of bounds when he lossed control and the ball may have been touched by a player while that player was out of bounds... Third, by the way, the Colts probably should've gotten the ball inside the one and not a touchback if the ball was ruled live.

Regardless though, the point is that even the Superbowl caliber coach on the opposite side of the field (Caldwell) didn't recognize the potential fumble until after the 2:00 minute warning. Why should Kubiak be held at a higher standard? Should the Colts be livid that Caldwell didn't react to the play any faster? If not, is it only because fortune smiled on him?

You don't like Kubiak, you don't like McNair, you don't like Rick Smith. If I was you, I simply wouldn't root for the team. Perhaps you just really like the mascot? I can't root for organizations that I don't believe in. I know I'm in the minority. But, if I don't respect the owner and believe in the organization, I simply can't root for them. That's why I'm not a Cowboy fan anymore. Perhaps living in Austin gives me the advantage or disadvantage of not feeling some connection to the team based on civic pride. Of course, I would think it quite a challenge to be proud of the city of Houston but I know that a lot of you are.

JB
04-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Sorry, I meant to say that I think it was a close call whether it should've been a change of posession or not. There were two issues at hand on that play: Moats may have been out of bounds when he lossed control and the ball may have been touched by a player while that player was out of bounds... Third, by the way, the Colts probably should've gotten the ball inside the one and not a touchback if the ball was ruled live.

Regardless though, the point is that even the Superbowl caliber coach on the opposite side of the field (Caldwell) didn't recognize the potential fumble until after the 2:00 minute warning. Why should Kubiak be held at a higher standard? Should the Colts be livid that Caldwell didn't react to the play any faster? If not, is it only because fortune smiled on him?

You don't like Kubiak, you don't like McNair, you don't like Rick Smith. If I was you, I simply wouldn't root for the team. Perhaps you just really like the mascot? I can't root for organizations that I don't believe in. I know I'm in the minority. But, if I don't respect the owner and believe in the organization, I simply can't root for them. That's why I'm not a Cowboy fan anymore. Perhaps living in Austin gives me the advantage or disadvantage of not feeling some connection to the team based on civic pride. Of course, I would think it quite a challenge to be proud of the city of Houston but I know that a lot of you are.

I'm sorry, I really don't mean to be a grammar or spelling nazi; but I have always wondered just exactly does "lossed" mean? I have seen it numerous times on this board, but it must be some of that "new local" language that I have not figured out. :drunk:

ObsiWan
04-03-2010, 08:12 PM
rep from another Star Wars geek for quoting Yoda
:D

gary
04-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Does everyone agree Bob is 73? I am just ready for the Texans to win damn it.

thunderkyss
04-03-2010, 08:46 PM

At the game, it wasn't even in question. Watching everything in real time, the play was dead.

If there was a question, you bet your arse, Schaub would have been running up to spike the ball.

That's the hindsight thing, and that's the beauty of being able to watch the game on T.V.

Kubiak's fault? If someone in the booth saw it, told Kubiak, and he decided not to run a play, yeah, then it would be his fault. We can blame him for putting incompetent people in the booth. Or, there wasn't a damn thing that could have been done, after we allowed the time to expire, and enter the two minute warning. Which is more evidence, that nobody at the time saw anything worth challenging. It's not like the red flag was thrown right away.

WWJD
04-03-2010, 08:48 PM

No Gary I want to argue with you about that..everybody lies about their age.

thunderkyss
04-03-2010, 08:54 PM

We won last year.

gary
04-03-2010, 09:16 PM
We won last year.True, I am just looking for more no matter who the H.C. is.

gary
04-03-2010, 09:20 PM
No Gary I want to argue with you about that..everybody lies about their age.

:)Let's now argue Bob is not the real owner of the Texans.

Texan_Bill
04-03-2010, 10:49 PM

What??? Quit being a jackass. I thought you (tried) to make it a point that you don't go out of your way to be an ass........ Again, major serving of FAIL.

I would put the likes of Kevin Murray, Bucky Richardson and certainly Jerrod Johnson over Kubaik's A&M career.

Dude, seriously - get over yourself. Your a pompous ass joke.

By making stupid assertion about me being myopic, just weakens your (already) weak ass arguments, that much worse....

Second Honeymoon equals multiple FAIL....

AND awesome, MB fodder for people that like to laugh at ignorance.

SH..... http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/d/dunce-emoticon.gif

Texan_Bill
04-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Right at ya Sh, errrrr Woodlands Doug:

http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/124/571/011/C9G5W9ovldCbOcf.jpg

:spit:

God I love Dave Campbell's Texas Football. (except for the fact that picture is v. UH)

barrett
04-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Furthermore, from what little I've seen from Cal himself he seems very interested in the actually operations of the team. I'm very proud of being a Texan fan specifically because of Mr. McNair and Kubiak and his entire organization. On a level much bigger and way more important than your silly debates, these appear to be good men doing honest work and that alone is enough for me to root for them for many years to come.

Texan_Bill
04-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Furthermore, from what little I've seen from Cal himself he seems very interested in the actually operations of the team. I'm very proud of being a Texan fan specifically because of Mr. McNair and Kubiak and his entire organization. On a level much bigger and way more important than your silly debates, these appear to be good men doing honest work and that alone is enough for me to root for them for many years to come.

Nice!! Repped!!!!!!

barrett
04-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Thank you.

Being genuine is something that I feel very strongly about. Even to a fault. And I remember McClain talking about Gary one time on the radio and his tone shifted from wheezing doughnut voice to a very different tone and I remember that he said that without question Kubiak is the most genuine, ego-less coach he has ever seen in all his years covering sports.

Bob McNair built this brand spanking new facility and ... well, I'll save that story for Dale to tell but guys, there is so much to root for here. ON TOP OF THAT...WE'VE GOT A PRETTY DAMN GOOD TEAM TO CHEER FOR TOO!!!!

Texan_Bill
04-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Thank you.

Being genuine is something that I feel very strongly about. Even to a fault. And I remember McClain talking about Gary one time on the radio and his tone shifted from wheezing doughnut voice to a very different tone and I remember that he said that without question Kubiak is the most genuine, ego-less coach he has ever seen in all his years covering sports.

Bob McNair built this brand spanking new facility and ... well, I'll save that story for Dale to tell but guys, there is so much to root for here. ON TOP OF THAT...WE'VE GOT A PRETTY DAMN GOOD TEAM TO CHEER FOR TOO!!!!

And I will add......... On the cusp of many years to come.

Second Honeymoon
04-04-2010, 08:59 AM
And I will add......... On the cusp of many years to come.

because you say so? why not have one good year before we start acting like we are a dynasty in a making. we have some pieces in place, but until we get some true leadership, develop an ability to put teams away, and get some capable head coaching I think it may be a little presumptuous to start talking about many years...lets start with one good year

just one good year and if you think last year was a good year, you are fooling yourself

last year was lost opportunity after opportunity and bonehead move after bonehead move

lets just have one good year before we start the parades, Bill...

infantrycak
04-04-2010, 09:18 AM
because you say so? why not have one good year before we start acting like we are a dynasty in a making. we have some pieces in place, but until we get some true leadership, develop an ability to put teams away, and get some capable head coaching I think it may be a little presumptuous to start talking about many years...lets start with one good year

just one good year and if you think last year was a good year, you are fooling yourself

last year was lost opportunity after opportunity and bonehead move after bonehead move

I don't entirely disagree with you on lost opportunities, but here's the thing. You come across as someone who if say the Jets lost either of their last two games last year, we make the playoffs, beat Cincy (again), pull an upset in the divisional round and get to conference to lose to the Colts you would be here saying:

but until we get some true leadership, develop an ability to put teams away, and get some capable head coaching I think it may be a little presumptuous to start talking about many years...lets start with one good year

Everyone gets it. The Texans UNDER achieved last year. They should have pounded teams. Now take a step back. Could you ever have said either of those things with HWWNBN as QB or Capers as coach? No you couldn't.

Football under Capers was a test of faith supporting a team with no logical reason to do so.

Football under Kubiak is a test of faith that a really good team will put the pieces (just not make bone headed mistakes) together and become a championship team.

I prefer watching a team who could beat anyone to watching a team who gets lucky to beat anyone. That's why I see improvement.

JB
04-04-2010, 09:19 AM

I know you dont like the coaching staff or the think the team is headed in the right direction, but why do you get upset with people who do?

stingray
04-04-2010, 09:28 AM
I know you dont like the coaching staff or the think the team is headed in the right direction, but why do you get upset with people who do?

Because he's the Kid who took his ball home as soon as things didn't go his way.

CloakNNNdagger
04-04-2010, 09:30 AM
I don't entirely disagree with you on lost opportunities, but here's the thing. You come across as someone who if say the Jets lost either of their last two games last year, we make the playoffs, beat Cincy (again), pull an upset in the divisional round and get to conference to lose to the Colts you would be here saying:

Everyone gets it. The Texans UNDER achieved last year. They should have pounded teams. Now take a step back. Could you ever have said either of those things with HWWNBN as QB or Capers as coach? No you couldn't.

Football under Capers was a test of faith supporting a team with no logical reason to do so.

Football under Kubiak is a test of faith that a really good team will put the pieces (just not make bone headed mistakes) together and become a championship team.

I prefer watching a team who could beat anyone to watching a team who gets lucky to beat anyone. That's why I see improvement.

I think that there is a little piece of SECOND HONEYMOON and CAK in all of us fans. Sort of an inner struggle to maintain a balance of hope with reality.

JB
04-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Because he's the Kid who took his ball home as soon as things didn't go his way.

Pulled the words right outta my head! :lol:

steelbtexan
04-04-2010, 10:36 AM
I think that there is a little piece of SECOND HONEYMOON and CAK in all of us fans. Sort of an inner struggle to maintain a balance of hope with reality.

This

I dont care who McNair hires to run the organization.

I dont care if there are players who are chior boys or axe murders on the team.

It's time that the Texans make the playoffs and start playing championship quality football.

Enough with the excuses. SH doesn't understand how a team that obivously underachieved last year HC get a contract extention.

The answer to that is McNair likes Kubes. He thinks Kubes can be a SB winning coach.

You and I disagree with McNair and think he's selling the great Texan fans a bill of goods. It's clear to you and I what's going on. But there's a segment of great fans who are very loyal to the team who are blind to the business aspect of this organization.

Bottom line with this contract extention McNair is saying this is my business. I'm going to do what I want with it (Make cash). If you dont like it you can root for another team.

That's just the way it is.

Wolf
04-04-2010, 10:49 AM

very true CnD

newton's Cradle with us
http://www.sikeston.k12.mo.us/gwilliams/images/web3.gif

http://www.sikeston.k12.mo.us/gwilliams/gifpic12.html

thunderkyss
04-04-2010, 10:52 AM

If you bought your stocks like you're judging this team, you would be buying high, and selling low.

barrett
04-04-2010, 11:52 AM
This

I dont care who McNair hires to run the organization.

I dont care if there are players who are chior boys or axe murders on the team.

How? Please explain this to me. Why do you spend hours upon hours talking and thinking about the team but not invest any intrest in the organization how it's run etc.?

Do you only invest intrest in the guys running around on the field? If so, why?

ObsiWan
04-04-2010, 12:20 PM

Very true. All of us should be a little bit Pink Soaper and a little bit Sunshine Clubber.

now come up with an avatar for that combo! LOL

JB
04-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Very true. All of us should be a little bit Pink Soaper and a little bit Sunshine Clubber.

now come up with an avatar for that combo! LOL

Pink Koolaid?

ObsiWan
04-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Pink Koolaid?

Sunshine shaped soap??

At first I was thinking yellow soap but that's too close to yellow snow ..and I wasn't gonna go there
LOL

steelbtexan
04-04-2010, 12:35 PM
How? Please explain this to me. Why do you spend hours upon hours talking and thinking about the team but not invest any intrest in the organization how it's run etc.?

Do you only invest intrest in the guys running around on the field? If so, why?

Yes because Professioal football is entertainment.

I dont care about what entertainers in other professions do in their personal lives either. Football players are no different. IMHO

I only care say if I go to a concert that the performer puts on a great show.

Same thing with the Texans and the NFL. I only care about the results on the field. (W-L's) If players off field conduct affects the on field product then said player needs to be traded/cut.

Obviuosly McNair/Barrett dont see it like this and you are entitled to your opinion.

But for me it's all about W-L's

So far the McNair organization has failed miserably in this respect. (W-L's) Hopefully this changes but I question if the Texans are truly commiteed to putting the best team on the field as possible. They seem to only want to aquire players through the draft/FA that fit a certian criteria.

We'll see if they can win with these type of players and this type of criteria.

ObsiWan
04-04-2010, 01:16 PM

I dont care about what entertainers in other professions do in their personal lives either. Football players are no different. IMHO

Same thing with the Texans and the NFL. I only care about the results on the field. (W-L's) If players off field conduct affects the on field product then said player needs to be traded/cut.

Obviuosly McNair/Barrett dont see it like this and you are entitled to your opinion.

So far the McNair organization has failed miserably in this respect. (W-L's) Hopefully this changes but I question if the Texans are truly commiteed to putting the best team on the field as possible. They seem to only want to aquire players through the draft/FA that fit a certian criteria.

I'm having trouble with something. If this is only "entertainment" then why do you care if we win or not?

For example, I can watch a fight and not really care which guy wins as long as it's a good fight. If they just push each other around the ring and not mix it up, then I'm changing the station to something else. If they go toe to toe for 12 rounds with the winner in doubt until the last round, then that's entertainment and I'll watch until the end. But I still don't care who wins.

I can't watch a Texans' game with that kind of detachment. I'm betting you can't either. So it's not "just entertainment".

CloakNNNdagger
04-04-2010, 01:47 PM
When watching something like boxing, unless one fighter is a home boy and you're rooting for him, you can enjoy a good fight for fight's sake (if you're into that). A Texans' fan watching their team , has a dog in the fight........you want a win...........every game...........regardless of.......

It's harder to walk away from a loss and feel justified that you've been "entertained."

barrett
04-04-2010, 02:40 PM

You don't need to question any more. The answer is no. They are not committed to putting the best team on the field as possible. The Texans have made a conscious decision to put the best team on the field that they can so long as it's done with genuine integrity and honest hard work. They have chosen to try to be a successful organization on and off the field. I think that's admirable at worst. Have they been successful as a football team? No. Not yet. But it means more to me that they are trying to do it with integrity (and making progress) than to do it at any costs.

It doesn't to you.

dalemurphy
04-04-2010, 06:50 PM

Then why are you a fan?

I go to games with Barrett and watch many of the away games on TV. We have an absolute blast. It's definitely entertaining to us! We are entertained talking about them in the off-season also. The team brings joy to us.

You and SH, however, don't seem to enjoy the entertainment at all. Using your concert analogy, why do you continue to spend your time and money to see the Jonas Brothers in concert?

stingray
04-04-2010, 07:10 PM

The Cowboys are calling your name. You should change your name to "royalbcowboy".

ObsiWan
04-04-2010, 07:37 PM
When watching something like boxing, unless one fighter is a home boy and you're rooting for him, you can enjoy a good fight for fight's sake (if you're into that). A Texans' fan watching their team , has a dog in the fight........you want a win...........every game...........regardless of.......

It's harder to walk away from a loss and feel justified that you've been "entertained."

Thank you.
You validated the point I was attempting to make.
If you're a fan of any given team, then "you have a dog in the fight". If you wear the jersey of a given team it's because you are not ashamed to be associated with what they represent - on field and off.
As such, to call on the boxing example one more time, if the owner trots out 22 Mike Tyson-like, "Immo eat your children", mental cases or 22 Pac-Man "make it rain" Joneses all because he wants to win no matter what, I'd bet a lot of us would find another team to cheer for.
I would.

So yeah. I believe the total package matters. ...if you're a fan.

then again, maybe it's just me.

gary
04-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Seasons past does not matter all it takes is one bad season for any H.C. to be fired not just Gary. Every coach is on a one year limit in the the sports world. A new contract means jack if you do not prove you are worth keeping from year to year. The F.O. may let you go tomorrow if their taste for you all of a sudden grows old and sour and that is the bottom line. I want to see improvment from last season. If not, all options would be on the table but there is a reason we are just fans and not making the calls for our beloved team. So I suspect improvment had better be shown or a change might happen and I am willing to bet when everything is said and done if you love Gary or hate him at the end of the day if he stays or goes life will go on and our support of the Texans is always going to shine. You do have to admit though he has allowed the Texans to progress much further along JMO.

Texan_Bill
04-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Thank you.
You validated the point I was attempting to make.
If you're a fan of any given team, then "you have a dog in the fight". If you wear the jersey of a given team it's because you are not ashamed to be associated with what they represent - on field and off.
As such, to call on the boxing example one more time, if the owner trots out 22 Mike Tyson-like, "Immo eat your children", mental cases or 22 Pac-Man "make it rain" Joneses all because he wants to win no matter what, I'd bet a lot of us would find another team to cheer for.
I would.

So yeah. I believe the total package matters. ...if you're a fan.

then again, maybe it's just me.

LMAO!!!

BTW, to correct the quote:

"I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"

steelbtexan
04-04-2010, 08:25 PM
You don't need to question any more. The answer is no. They are not committed to putting the best team on the field as possible. The Texans have made a conscious decision to put the best team on the field that they can so long as it's done with genuine integrity and honest hard work. They have chosen to try to be a successful organization on and off the field. I think that's admirable at worst. Have they been successful as a football team? No. Not yet. But it means more to me that they are trying to do it with integrity (and making progress) than to do it at any costs.

It doesn't to you.

I respect your way of thinking on this matter. So far the Texans organization has counted on fans like you to make millions and will continue to do so. There's nothing wrong with this as long as you're content with just having a good time at the game. Some fans expect more than this. Fortunately for McNair we're in the minority.

The Texans have the perfect organization that you described as being important to you. They've forgotten one important element. The product that has been put on the field. Where we disagree is I dont think the Texans can win big with this polyanic view towards players/coaching staff. You think they can.

Believe me when I say I hope you're right and I'm wrong. The games will be alot more fun if you're right. But what if you're wrong? How long will it be before you start demanding a winner? 5-10 more yrs? Never? Just asking.

You're right it doesn't matter to me only the W-L's

steelbtexan
04-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Then why are you a fan?

I go to games with Barrett and watch many of the away games on TV. We have an absolute blast. It's definitely entertaining to us! We are entertained talking about them in the off-season also. The team brings joy to us.

You and SH, however, don't seem to enjoy the entertainment at all. Using your concert analogy, why do you continue to spend your time and money to see the Jonas Brothers in concert?

Because I'm a Houstonian.

I try to support all things Houston and Texas.

JB
04-04-2010, 08:32 PM

How do you define support? I am almost scared to hear the answer.

steelbtexan
04-04-2010, 08:33 PM
The Cowboys are calling your name. You should change your name to "royalbcowboy".

What? I fail to understand your logic.

I disagree with the way the Texans are run and I'm a Royal Cowboy fan?

HUH

LOL

Texan_Bill
04-04-2010, 08:40 PM
What? I fail to understand your logic.

I disagree with the way the Texans are run and I'm a Royal Cowboy fan?

HUH

LOL

By the same token people disagree with your opinion of how the Texans are run... That's not to suggest that many of us don't recognize that mistakes were made.

OTOH, many of us believe they are now on the right path, now. Will be it be Kubes & Rick Smith that gets us there (to the Promised Land)? Who knows? However to not recognize the direction the Texans are heading, is foolhardy to say the least.

steelbtexan
04-04-2010, 08:42 PM
How do you define support? I am almost scared to hear the answer.

Season ticket holder since 2003. Haven't missed a game. Go to atleast one road game a year. Dressed in full Texans gear the whole weekend. Tailgate and take my Texans tent on the road with me.

I take the losses much harder than I enjoy.

Look we're all Texan fans and we all want the same thing. (A Lombardi Trophy)

I dont appreciate my fandom being called into question just because I disagree with how the Texans are run as an organization. To me there has been way to much mediocrity accepted in this town as it relates to all sports in this town.

Not just the Texans

Texan_Bill
04-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Season ticket holder since 2003. Haven't missed a game. Go to atleast one road game a year. Dressed in full Texans gear the whole weekend. Tailgate and take my Texans tent on the road with me.

I dont appreciate my fandom being called into question just because I disagree with how the Texans are run as an organization. To me there has been way to much mediocrity accepted in this town as it relates to all sports in this town.

Not just the Texans

Apparently you missed at least 10 games (including preseason) from 2002... ;)

steelbtexan
04-04-2010, 08:53 PM
By the same token people disagree with your opinion of how the Texans are run... That's not to suggest that many of us don't recognize that mistakes were made.

OTOH, many of us believe they are now on the right path, now. Will be it be Kubes & Rick Smith that gets us there (to the Promised Land)? Who knows? However to not recognize the direction the Texans are heading, is foolhardy to say the least.

Great response

I hope you're right about the Texans being on the right path. With the schedule this year it's going to be a tale tell year for the Texans coaching staff and the organization as a whole.

I'm going to give them another year. What else am I going to do? I'm a Steelbtexan fan.

I've been called foolharded before and I LOL'ed then and will continue to do so. You may be on to something.

LOL

steelbtexan
04-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Apparently you missed at least 10 games (including preseason) from 2002... ;)

Yeah I had a prsonal thing about the paying for the right to but a ticket thing. (PSL's)

But I went to the 2002 Buffalo game as a birthday present from my wife,felt the atmosphere,got hooked and have been hooked ever since.

Wolf
04-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I guess being some of us doesn't live in houston and /or can't be at every game ...we are not fans being we didn't spend money

so.. it makes our voice less

barrett
04-04-2010, 09:09 PM

Not just the Texans

So, you're a guy with some expendible cash and weekends off who enjoys going to the games but doesnt enjoy the team you're helping Mr. McNair make millions on? Maybe you're a fan of tailgating and large buildings more than anything. I'm not picking on you either. I'm asking you to re-evaluate what it is you want from your entertainment. You may have more fun.

barrett
04-04-2010, 09:11 PM
I guess being some of us doesn't live in houston and /or can't be at every game ...we are not fans being we didn't spend money

I don't think he was saying that at all. He's talking about what he does. Not anyone else.

Texan_Bill
04-04-2010, 09:13 PM

Are you :drunk:? That was a tough read. ;)

:jk:

No, just because you can't make it to the games in no way makes you less of a fan... I was poking fun at SteelB for not having his PSL's/ season tickets in order prior to the 2002 season.. Wolf, you are and always have been, one of the good guys. :)

steelbtexan
04-04-2010, 09:18 PM

No JB just asked me to define how I was a Texan fan. Not that any Texan fan should have to do that. I responded to his post.

I appreciate all Texan fans. One Texan fan is not better than another Texan fan.

As Texan fans we make up the greatest fan base in the NFL. As evidenced by being the 5th most profitable franchise in the NFL. Despite being basically a bottom dweller franchise for 8 yrs.

steelbtexan
04-04-2010, 09:31 PM
So, you're a guy with some expendible cash and weekends off who enjoys going to the games but doesnt enjoy the team you're helping Mr. McNair make millions on? Maybe you're a fan of tailgating and large buildings more than anything. I'm not picking on you either. I'm asking you to re-evaluate what it is you want from your entertainment. You may have more fun.

With 8 years of bad to mediocore football you had better enjoy the tailgating.

The Casserly years were rough.

I enjoy the team, I'm just really disappointed that the team didn't make the playoffs. This is the first season that I felt the Texans should've made the playoffs.

I put this directly on Kubes head and I'm frustrated that instead of McNair holding Kubes feet to the fire next season. McNair decides to give Kube a contract extention and I can believe McNairs reasoning behind giving Kubes the extention as stated at the begining of this thread.

McNair seems like he's spinning the PR stuff to me. You obviously feel differently about this.

JB
04-04-2010, 10:21 PM
No JB just asked me to define how I was a Texan fan. Not that any Texan fan should have to do that. I responded to his post.

I appreciate all Texan fans. One Texan fan is not better than another Texan fan.

As Texan fans we make up the greatest fan base in the NFL. As evidenced by being the 5th most profitable franchise in the NFL. Despite being basically a bottom dweller franchise for 8 yrs.

Believe me.... I was not questioning you as a fan. I just wanted clarification on our idea of support. If because you have season tickets and go to the games and that makes you a fan, ok.

I am a fan because the Texans are my team. I don't always agree with what they do. I was upset when they hired Capers. I was upset when they selected Bosselli in the expansion draft. And so on and so on.

My team is not perfect, but they are my team!

I just question how much enjoyment you get out of your team?

I understand disappointment (sp?) , but I look at our current team and think we are on the right path, and McNair did the right thing by extending Kubiak's contract. To make the change at this point would have been counter-productive. Unless McNair hired Shanny, any other coach would have a radically different system, would have to totally overhaul the coaching staff, and would have to rebuild the roster.

This would have set us back a minimum of 2 years.

Besides, it's a lot more enjoyable to look at the future with a sense of anticipation instead of dread! How often could you do that in the CC/C era?

dalemurphy
04-04-2010, 10:28 PM

So, it isn't about entertainment to you. Instead, it is about some sort of jingoistic mentality stemming from being in Houston. That's fine. I know it's common.

Supporting all things Houston, I guess you're a big fan of illegal immigration, childhood obesity, traffic, and air pollution. Personally, I'm not into that stuff. I just really like football.

JB
04-04-2010, 10:42 PM
So, it isn't about entertainment to you. Instead, it is about some sort of jingoistic mentality stemming from being in Houston. That's fine. I know it's common.

Supporting all things Houston, I guess you're a big fan of illegal immigration, childhood obesity, traffic, and air pollution. Personally, I'm not into that stuff. I just really like football.

That is a really ridiculous statement!

steelbtexan
04-04-2010, 10:50 PM

Jackass

I just really like football too and teams that do everything possible to put the best product they can on the field.

You value things I dont.

I'm glad you're BS attitude isn't representative of most Austinites.

barrett
04-04-2010, 10:51 PM
I agree. I've been into childhood obesity for years but I would NEVER support illegal immigration!!!!!!! I'm uh 'merican damnit!

You ass hole.

dalemurphy
04-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Jackass

I just really like football too and teams that do everything possible to put the best product they can on the field.

You value things I dont.

I'm glad you're BS attitude isn't representative of most Austinites.

You don't think most Austinites have a negative perception of Houston? Really?

That being said, it's hardly my point. You are bouncing all over the place explaining why you root for a team that you don't like or believe in. First, it's purely for entertainment purposes. Though, for some reason, you aren't entertained by the most exciting team in the NFL. Then, you say that you just root for all things Houston. I guess that's not the case either. Seems like you are simply a sheep with a typewriter. Someone or something you don't understand has herded you towards the HOuston Texans and even though you don't like it, you aren't going anywhere. Brilliant!

barrett
04-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Lots of fat kids and pollution here too though Dale. Illegal immigrants? Yup. Last time I checked I wasn't cruising down 35 at 3 in the afternoon either.

At least Houston's football team is better than ours. Ugh.

Why make it about our town versus theirs. Focus on your argument. I believe in you! You can do it!

Texanmike02
04-04-2010, 11:52 PM

But Cleveland doesn't know if they will win a championship... and we do know we've got a winner. So really was it that different?

What is the bar.. 5 years and a winner or 4 years and a championship...

Mike

dalemurphy
04-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Lots of fat kids and pollution here too though Dale. Illegal immigrants? Yup. Last time I checked I wasn't cruising down 35 at 3 in the afternoon either.

At least Houston's football team is better than ours. Ugh.

Why make it about our town versus theirs. Focus on your argument. I believe in you! You can do it!

I never said that I root for all things Austin. That was his point. Just trying to illustrate how ridiculous that is. I've never understood supporting/rooting for something simply because of one's proximity to it. After all, I'm in Austin and loath Mack Brown. Matter of a fact, I don't really even like Berkenstocks or Petuli Oil.

steelbtexan
04-05-2010, 08:49 AM
You don't think most Austinites have a negative perception of Houston? Really?

That being said, it's hardly my point. You are bouncing all over the place explaining why you root for a team that you don't like or believe in. First, it's purely for entertainment purposes. Though, for some reason, you aren't entertained by the most exciting team in the NFL. Then, you say that you just root for all things Houston. I guess that's not the case either. Seems like you are simply a sheep with a typewriter. Someone or something you don't understand has herded you towards the HOuston Texans and even though you don't like it, you aren't going anywhere. Brilliant!

I just disagree with the direction of the franchise. You dont, I get this.

The difference between us is that I'm not being an ********* when I'm stating my postion.

You on the otherhand can continue to live amongst the bluebonnetts in your polyanic little world.

HOU-TEX
04-05-2010, 08:53 AM
A thread started with a nice article turns into the questioning peoples fanhood. Imagine that! Meh, this is getting old.

Texan_Bill
04-05-2010, 08:53 AM
http://www.centersinaianimalhospital.com/images/dog_chasing_tail_lg_clr.gif

:brickwall:

steelbtexan
04-05-2010, 08:55 AM
But Cleveland doesn't know if they will win a championship... and we do know we've got a winner. So really was it that different?

What is the bar.. 5 years and a winner or 4 years and a championship...

Mike

Within 4 years the way the NFL is set up with the schedule and FA/Draft a well run team should be able to make the playoffs.

Within 5/6 years they should be able to compete for a championship. IMHO

steelbtexan
04-05-2010, 08:57 AM
A thread started with a nice article turns into the questioning peoples fanhood. Imagine that! Meh, this is getting old.

Sad isn't it.

Second Honeymoon
04-05-2010, 08:58 AM
I hope everyone had a great Easter with their family and loved ones.

Oh, and the draft is getting really close...and what an almost surreal trade of McNabb yesterday.

Andy Reid better update his resume because this could go poorly for him. You don't trade guys within your division. You just don't do it. The Packers tried to prevent it, but just ask them how well playing against Favre went last year. That was still some serious egg on their face but at least they tried to prevent it from happening by sending him to the Jets only for Favre to fake retire to get to Minny. The Eagles willingly sent McNabb to Washington. Wow.

Happy Easter again

steelbtexan
04-05-2010, 09:02 AM
I did, we just found out my father in law has prostate cancer and is going to have a pretty rough year ahead of him.

But we all had a great time just being around each other enjoying laughing and joking together.

dalemurphy
04-05-2010, 09:05 AM
I just disagree with the direction of the franchise. You dont, I get this.

The difference between us is that I'm not being an ********* when I'm stating my postion.

You on the otherhand can continue to live amongst the bluebonnetts in your polyanic little world.

You just like to complain. That's really the only explanation. If football is "strictly entertainment" to you and you "disagree with the direction of the franchise" but are powerless to change it, then why do you spend your entertainment dollars and time on this franchise? Clearly, it is because you get some sort of reward from the complaining and the bitterness.

What other explanation is there?

I was there once too. I hated the direction and leadership of my football team as a Cowboy fan in the mid 1990s. I hated the owner and the head coach (Barry Switzer). So, I stopped rooting for them and spending my time and money on them because it was no longer enjoyable and because I don't like to support things that I don't believe in.

Thorn
04-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Within 4 years the way the NFL is set up with the schedule and FA/Draft a well run team should be able to make the playoffs.

This presupposes that most of your draft choices will turn out as expected, which isn’t always the case. There are many examples of 1st and 2nd round choices being major busts (or performing at a lesser level than the round they were taken in), and 6th and 7th round choice making a big splash on their teams. Also take into account injuries to key players and staff/player changes and you’ve got a volatile mix that doesn’t really count for stability in all cases.

thunderkyss
04-05-2010, 09:11 AM
You just like to complain. That's really the only explanation. If football is "strictly entertainment" ....

from strictly an entertainment perspective, I can't understand why anyone would be upset with our 2009 season. That was the most entertaining season to date. IMHO. We were competitive in every game (save one), very entertaining to the last play in most cases.

I was there once too. I hated the direction and leadership of my football team as a Cowboy fan in the mid 1990s. I hated the owner and the head coach (Barry Switzer). So, I stopped rooting for them and spending my time and money on them because it was no longer enjoyable and because I don't like to support things that I don't believe in.

So why didn't you become a Patriot fan?

Second Honeymoon
04-05-2010, 09:16 AM
What??? Quit being a jackass. I thought you (tried) to make it a point that you don't go out of your way to be an ass........ Again, major serving of FAIL.

I would put the likes of Kevin Murray, Bucky Richardson and certainly Jerrod Johnson over Kubaik's A&M career.

Dude, seriously - get over yourself. Your a pompous ass joke.

By making stupid assertion about me being myopic, just weakens your (already) weak ass arguments, that much worse....

Second Honeymoon equals multiple FAIL....

AND awesome, MB fodder for people that like to laugh at ignorance.

SH..... http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/d/dunce-emoticon.gif

we will leave being a jackass to the pros....like you, but if your going to continue to try and make this personal, so be it. it just shows your immaturity and your inability to make a cogent argument without coming off as a blithering *****.

Bucky Richardson? hahahahhaha. Kevin Murray? hahahhaa. Jerrod Johnson? maybe JJ should start by actually leading his team to relevance. Gloves are off. Your program is a joke. Truth hurts. The only time you were even partially relevant, you were paying kids to play football in that cowtown and cheating your balls off. Go hang out with your all male cheerleaders and your stupid 50's era homo-erotic traditions that mean nothing to anyone with an IQ over 12 or an age under 80.

as for people laughing at me...do you think I give a crap what an inbred yokel like you thinks of me? give me a break. you can't defend your .500 coach so you resort to name calling and being a petulant little prick. very impressive. how old are you? i tried to be civil with the likes of you, but I have had enough of your tired little act.

i have tried to elevate the argument past name calling and flame wars, but you just keep trying to make it about me or about SBT or something. You know why? Because you have nothing to stand on. The only thing you have is your fairy tale belief that Kubiak will be a good coach someday and be a winner. That is it. We have 4 years of evidence that shows Kubiak is nothing more than a good OC and a .500 HC. I know you can't dispute that, so why not call me another name.

Stop being a troll and grow up, TB. You call me a dunce but at least I am not a sad and aging jackass like yourself.

Second Honeymoon
04-05-2010, 09:24 AM
I did, we just found out my father in law has prostate cancer and is going to have a pretty rough year ahead of him.

But we all had a great time just being around each other enjoying laughing and joking together.

i am very sorry to hear that, SBT.

family is the key to challenging ordeals like that. hopefully your laughter and family bond will help him get through this tough time.

Second Honeymoon
04-05-2010, 09:28 AM
You just like to complain. That's really the only explanation. If football is "strictly entertainment" to you and you "disagree with the direction of the franchise" but are powerless to change it, then why do you spend your entertainment dollars and time on this franchise? Clearly, it is because you get some sort of reward from the complaining and the bitterness.

What other explanation is there?

hey DM,

just wondering. why did you hate Switzer so much? i know he wasn't JJ, but he did a good job with that team. they came out fired up, they were well prepared week in and week out, and he was a helluva head coach.

i wasn't down with the hiring when they made it, but he had those guys ready to play. they kinda shat the bed against the 49ers, when they were down over 3 touchdowns just minutes into the game, but even then they fought back and nearly pulled that game out .

not an attack on you, DM, just wondering. hope you had a great Easter.

HoustonFrog
04-05-2010, 09:38 AM
There is so much I want to say about the last two pages and can't. Close thread :toast2:

steelbtexan
04-05-2010, 09:41 AM
This presupposes that most of your draft choices will turn out as expected, which isn’t always the case. There are many examples of 1st and 2nd round choices being major busts (or performing at a lesser level than the round they were taken in), and 6th and 7th round choice making a big splash on their teams. Also take into account injuries to key players and staff/player changes and you’ve got a volatile mix that doesn’t really count for stability in all cases.

Well run teams dont miss on high (you should have high draft choices when rebuilding) on 1st and 2nd rd picks. They also hit on 6/7th rd picks ocasionally. (Diles) Smithiak have done a good job in the draft. (excluding the 2007 draft)

There are going to be injuries but as long as your core guys (Schaub,AJ, MW,DeMeco,Cushing) type guys stay healthy you should make the playoffs in 4 yrs. The Spencer and Dunta injuries hurt but there should be enough depth to overcome them by year 4. IMHO

dalemurphy
04-05-2010, 09:47 AM
hey DM,

just wondering. why did you hate Switzer so much? i know he wasn't JJ, but he did a good job with that team. they came out fired up, they were well prepared week in and week out, and he was a helluva head coach.

i wasn't down with the hiring when they made it, but he had those guys ready to play. they kinda shat the bed against the 49ers, when they were down over 3 touchdowns just minutes into the game, but even then they fought back and nearly pulled that game out .

not an attack on you, DM, just wondering. hope you had a great Easter.

I thought he was a fool. For example, it is hard to respect a 55 year old man that tries to carry a handgun on to a commercial airplane. More than my issue with Switzer though, was the fact that Jerry's ego was so monstrous that he risked destroying the greatest team in modern NFL history in order to get more credit for himself. Also, I found the off-season personnel decisions distasteful: signing guys like Deion Sanders while letting go of many of the players that were there from the beginning. It became a collection of stars and personalities and much less of a team, IMO.

Finally, though, I just don't know all of the reasons why. What I do know is that I watched the Cowboys beat the Steelers in the Superbowl and felt absolutely no joy or satisfaction. I was happy for some of the players but it was a very hollow experience for me as a fan. That's when I knew that I couldn't root for the team anymore. Also, I had just started attending games at Texas Stadium in the early '90s and was quickly disenchanted with the gameday experience there. So, that didn't help any. The stadium sucked. The parking situation was a nightmare and I was surrounded by Cowboy fans- and that ain't no picknup, let me tell you!

dalemurphy
04-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Well run teams dont miss on high (you should have high draft choices when rebuilding) on 1st and 2nd rd picks. They also hit on 6/7th rd picks ocasionally. (Diles) Smithiak have done a good job in the draft. (excluding the 2007 draft)

There are going to be injuries but as long as your core guys (Schaub,AJ, MW,DeMeco,Cushing) type guys stay healthy you should make the playoffs in 4 yrs. The Spencer and Dunta injuries hurt but there should be enough depth to overcome them by year 4. IMHO

Agreed. We definitely blew an opportunity in 2009. Where we diverge regarding Kubiak is the idea that he should be punished for that blown opportunity or that we are destined to repeat 2009 if he isn't removed. I don't think that is the case. I believe keeping this ship pointed in the same direction is the most likely scenario for success over the next 5 years, or so.

ObsiWan
04-05-2010, 09:53 AM

First, what makes any of those things unique to Houston? I'm sure Austin has it's share of all of those societal maladies plus those associated with being in the shadow of the state capital and the university known more for it's propensity for parties than for it's educational benefits.

Second, you sound like some New England Yankee who's never been to Texas with statements like that.

dalemurphy
04-05-2010, 10:00 AM
First, what makes any of those things unique to Houston? I'm sure Austin has it's share of all of those societal maladies plus those associated with being in the shadow of the state capital and the university known more for it's propensity for parties than for it's educational benefits.

Second, you sound like some New England Yankee who's never been to Texas with statements like that.

I have lived in Texas 35 of my 36 years. I spent much of my youth in the Houston area. There are things I like about Houston and things I don't. The same can be said of Austin. I've never gotten into the civic and state pride thing that is so popular in Texas. That quote of mine was tongue and cheek responding to SteelbTexan's assertion that he's a Texan fan because he roots for "all things Houston and Texas".

but, since you brought it up, there is less pollution in Austin, the traffic is much more manageable, kids aren't as fat... I'm not sure about the illegal alien ratio, though. Oh, and I despise the University of Texas!

thunderkyss
04-05-2010, 10:02 AM
The only thing you have is your fairy tale belief that Kubiak will be a good coach someday and be a winner. That is it. We have 4 years of evidence that shows Kubiak is nothing more than a good OC and a .500 HC.

But you quickly dismiss any other argument as if there is no merit.

We're very talented.. that because of Kubiak. He's the guy who brought Rick Smith in.

You know all about the offense.

The defense, (http://http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6098)
Texans' defense improve from allowing the most total yards (436.7) and rushing yards (163.3) per game in the NFL over the first three weeks to ranking fourth in total yards (299.1) and second in rushing yards (84.3) over the final 13.

Remember in 2008, the argument was the offense was top ten in yards, blah, blah, blah... but not where it counts. In 2009, we changed that. In most offensive categories, we are top ten, I dare say top 5. Same thing is going to happen to our defense in 2010. I know this, because GK is (& has been) very methodical in his approach to building this team, from the ground up.

You want to argue that it's taking too long, that's fine, I can't argue that. I'm not happy with how long it is taking. But you've got to be blind not to see there are more good things going on than bad.

We're chipping away, & eventually the damn is going to break, and there will be a flood of success in H-Town.

thunderkyss
04-05-2010, 10:05 AM
hey DM,

I think Switzer, Campo, and Gailey were all yes men. IMHO, that was the "dark ages" for the Cowboys. Jerry ran the team a little too much.

I think the Coach & GM has to be peers, and have to work together, with equal input. Kinda hard to do, when the GM is signing your pay-check.

I personally think Switzer was a much better coach than what he showed in Dallas.

dalemurphy
04-05-2010, 10:06 AM
But you quickly dismiss any other argument as if there is no merit.

We're very talented.. that because of Kubiak. He's the guy who brought Rick Smith in.

You know all about the offense.

The defense, (http://http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6098)

Remember in 2008, the argument was the offense was top ten in yards, blah, blah, blah... but not where it counts. In 2009, we changed that. In most offensive categories, we are top ten, I dare say top 5. Same thing is going to happen to our defense in 2010. I know this, because GK is (& has been) very methodical in his approach to building this team, from the ground up.

You want to argue that it's taking too long, that's fine, I can't argue that. I'm not happy with how long it is taking. But you've got to be blind not to see there are more good things going on than bad.

We're chipping away, & eventually the damn is going to break, and there will be a flood of success in H-Town.

That's a damn funny Freudian slip! Because if the dam that is holding back the Texans's success doesn't break, there will be a lot of "damn's" coming from my mouth!

steelbtexan
04-05-2010, 10:11 AM
I thought he was a fool. For example, it is hard to respect a 55 year old man that tries to carry a handgun on to a commercial airplane. More than my issue with Switzer though, was the fact that Jerry's ego was so monstrous that he risked destroying the greatest team in modern NFL history in order to get more credit for himself. Also, I found the off-season personnel decisions distasteful: signing guys like Deion Sanders while letting go of many of the players that were there from the beginning. It became a collection of stars and personalities and much less of a team, IMO.

Finally, though, I just don't know all of the reasons why. What I do know is that I watched the Cowboys beat the Steelers in the Superbowl and felt absolutely no joy or satisfaction. I was happy for some of the players but it was a very hollow experience for me as a fan. That's when I knew that I couldn't root for the team anymore. Also, I had just started attending games at Texas Stadium in the early '90s and was quickly disenchanted with the gameday experience there. So, that didn't help any. The stadium sucked. The parking situation was a nightmare and I was surrounded by Cowboy fans- and that ain't no picknup, let me tell you!

Didn't like the Switzer hire.

Jerry did ruin a dynasty and the problems that team has had since he fired Johnson he kinda brought on himself.

We disagree about Deion, Jerry is an owner who will do anything to win. As long as he gets credit for winning. He saw Deion as the last piece of the puzzle to win a championship. He was right.

Did you wish at that time as a Cowboy fan that they didn't sign Deion?

What if not signing Deion meant no championship? Would you still be against signing him?

The reason I asked these questions is because when(Hopefully) the Texans get close to winning a championship will you be willing to sign a a FA or draft a player with character questions?

I'm willing to bet the answer is no. I think that McNair agrees with you on this topic and that concerns me about McNair.

dalemurphy
04-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Didn't like the Switzer hire.

Jerry did ruin a dynasty and the problems that team has had since he fired Johnson he kinda brought on himself.

We disagree about Deion, Jerry is an owner who will do anything to win. As long as he gets credit for winning. He saw Deion as the last piece of the puzzle to win a championship. He was right.

Did you wish at that time as a Cowboy fan that they didn't sign Deion?

What if not signing Deion meant no championship? Would you still be against signing him?

The reason I asked these questions is because when(Hopefully) the Texans get close to winning a championship will you be willing to sign a a FA or draft a player with character questions?

I'm willing to bet the answer is no. I think that McNair agrees with you on this topic and that concerns me about McNair.

I was excited about the Deion signing when it happenned... I think it's impossible to not get excited about those things. Even now, if the Texans went for someone like that (say haynesworth last year), part of me would be excited about it. However, I would also be worried about it and concerned that it is irresponsible and would end up doing more damage to the team than helping.

Also, though, I think those moves cheapen the fan experience. Look at Dallas a few years ago. That fan base absolutely despised TO. Then, they signed him and everyone had a TO jersey. Then, he was gone and everyone celebrated that he was gone. Those events don't allow for the kind of relationship with the team and players that I really enjoy. So, while I was thrilled to get Deion on the team and he helped them win that season, I think it actually cheapened the experience for me- particularly in combination with losing players that I had rooted for since they were rookies... Ken Norton, for instance.

I absolutely love how this team is being put together. Drafting well, developing young guys and then (hopefully) retaining them. Even our FA signings are young players. Sharing and participating in the growing pains of these young players and coaches will make the winning so much richer. For me, it already has.

StarStruck
04-05-2010, 10:38 AM
I thought he was a fool. For example, it is hard to respect a 55 year old man that tries to carry a handgun on to a commercial airplane.

I thought it was more a mistake than trying to deliberately take the gun in. Perhaps he kept a gun in his travel bag while driving and forgot to remove it before flying. It's possible. Heck my grandmother forgot to remove her brass knuckles from her purse when we went to the airport to pick up my kids (a while ago of course). The security attendants thought it was hilarious and actually returned them to her when we returned and all of them called her Grandma. I know, I know, that was illegal.

WWJD
04-05-2010, 10:40 AM
I thought it was more a mistake than trying to deliberately take the gun in. Perhaps he kept a gun in his travel bag while driving and forgot to remove it before flying. It's possible. Heck my grandmother forgot to remove her brass knuckles from her purse when we went to the airport to pick up my kids (a while ago of course). The security attendants thought it was hilarious and actually returned them to her when we returned and all of them called her Grandma. I know, I know, that was illegal.

Remind me not to mess with your granny. :)

ChampionTexan
04-05-2010, 10:57 AM

You do realize that after the first 4 years with Seattle (as GM & Head Coach), Holmgren's record was 31-33 with year one being the only playoff appearance - earned via a 9-7 record. FWIW, years 2-4 were 6-10, 9-7, and 7-9 respectively.

All I'm saying is if this is the run-up to competing for a Championship in years 5/6, by your own logic, you should be feeling pretty good about Kubes right now.

HoustonFrog
04-05-2010, 11:15 AM
I was excited about the Deion signing when it happenned... I think it's impossible to not get excited about those things. Even now, if the Texans went for someone like that (say haynesworth last year), part of me would be excited about it. However, I would also be worried about it and concerned that it is irresponsible and would end up doing more damage to the team than helping.

Also, though, I think those moves cheapen the fan experience. Look at Dallas a few years ago. That fan base absolutely despised TO. Then, they signed him and everyone had a TO jersey. Then, he was gone and everyone celebrated that he was gone. Those events don't allow for the kind of relationship with the team and players that I really enjoy. So, while I was thrilled to get Deion on the team and he helped them win that season, I think it actually cheapened the experience for me- particularly in combination with losing players that I had rooted for since they were rookies... Ken Norton, for instance.

I absolutely love how this team is being put together. Drafting well, developing young guys and then (hopefully) retaining them. Even our FA signings are young players. Sharing and participating in the growing pains of these young players and coaches will make the winning so much richer. For me, it already has.

Sorry, I've sat out and heard too much of this.

First of all, this is the day and age of the new FA so the early 90s Cowboys were the last of the teams that were able to just pay guys to keep a core together. Once that cap and new FA started, no team can build and just keep all their guys....including todays Texans.

Secondly, since when have the Texans been drafting gurus that are taking all these young studs and FAs and developing them? For every Cushing there is an Omobi and others. For every Pollard there are many Ahman Greens. They are doing the same thing all the other teams are doing. Hoping to hit in the draft, keeping the guys through their first contract and then maybe keeping them...thus the contract problems of late with Dunta, OD, etc. Right now there is zero evidence on whether it will work or be a failure. So far it is soso.

As far as Deion. It was a great move. They did the same thing getting Charles Haley, a move that propelled their defense to those SBs. They needed another fix when they had CB problems and just did what the 49ers had done before them, bring in Deion. It was the only way they were going to win another one.

As far as TO..not everyone liked the TO move. Most I know didn't. But once a guy is on the team you have to pretty much accept it as fact and cheer your team on. Once he pulled what he did in San Fran and Philly, fans saw the writing and wanted him gone. Philly fan loved him too. Same with 49er fan. That is the way FA and the business works.

Overall none of it is an offense to make me dislike a team I cheered on since the mid 70s. I'm lucky to have seen alot more success than failure and no team is perfect in how they are run or coached. I mean NE was a joke before this regime. Did their fans quit?Just saying.

Too funny Star. I thought it was a mistake too. Switzer was a fool at times but I do think post Jimmy, he worked because the players were worn down by Jimmy. I also agree with SH that he could have easily of had 2 SBs if they hadn't have started with 3 turnovers straight and then still made it a game vs the 49ers. I liked his work more than Campo or Gailey, though Gailey did decent and had a good background with the Steelers.

ObsiWan
04-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I have lived in Texas 35 of my 36 years. I spent much of my youth in the Houston area. There are things I like about Houston and things I don't. The same can be said of Austin. I've never gotten into the civic and state pride thing that is so popular in Texas. That quote of mine was tongue and cheek responding to SteelbTexan's assertion that he's a Texan fan because he roots for "all things Houston and Texas".

but, since you brought it up, there is less pollution in Austin, the traffic is much more manageable, kids aren't as fat... I'm not sure about the illegal alien ratio, though. Oh, and I despise the University of Texas!

hmmmm... commitment issues, eh?

and not just Texas, America.

dalemurphy
04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
hmmmm... commitment issues, eh?

and not just Texas, America.

I'm committed to my wife and my kids. I live in Texas.

If I left my wife and kids, that would be a betrayal.
If I left the state of Texas, that would just be a relocation.

ObsiWan
04-05-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm committed to my wife and my kids. I live in Texas.

If I left my wife and kids, that would be a betrayal.
If I left the state of Texas, that would just be a relocation.

depends on what made you decide you needed to leave.
divorces and relocations happen for many reasons

...but I get the distinction you're making.
some folks feel the same way about their sports teams and communities as you feel about your family. I'm not going to tell them they shouldn't.

StarStruck
04-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Remind me not to mess with your granny. :)

O/T
Mama has gone to be with the Lord. We still have such fond memories of some of her antics. We still can start off with "remember when Mama," and start laughing before going on with the event.

threetoedpete
04-08-2010, 09:29 PM

McNair did pick Capers and Casserly to start off with. So the coupling of a three four defensive head coach with a four three GM turned into a disaster of NFL biblical proportions. I mean just look at the tackles they select over the course of the first four years. And Caper's Babin deal for the Texans was a disaster. But it worked for Capers and the Pack with Clay Mathews III. So from that point it's just a function of how much you believe there was/was not a great deal of talent left for Kubiak and Smith after the Capers & Casserly disaster on the roster ? From my tree it was pretty bleak.

If they lose a couple of key guys once again early in the season, I would expect similar results. One of the keys to a deep playoff run is being lucky with injuries. You make a lot of your luck with how well you draft. What's the roster count now for turn over ? thirty guys ? thirty five guys out of fifty three ? I'd say Smith and Kubes are peddling as fast as they can. And for a rookie owner McNair is learning. He makes mistakes . But he hasn't made the same ones twice. What else can you ask of the man ? Had a good schedule last year. Won't be so friendly this year. SB ? They will have to earn it this season, indeed. It'll be shear force of will and football smarts.
Somewhere out there is a story on SB odds, We, the Texans, aren't bottom dwelling any more. And that is a good sign. Eventually tough this team needs to get on an eight game winning streak and slay the division dragon. And that is entirely up to the players. Championships, like wars are won in the will.

And from what I've seen and read Mr McNair has denied his officers nothing they have asked for. Nothing.

threetoedpete
04-08-2010, 09:41 PM

So sorry to hear this. You will be in my prayers. One of the reasons I left the church was because of this disease. Be positive and read up on it. Lot of great years left.

thunderkyss
04-09-2010, 10:35 PM
And Caper's Babin deal for the Texans was a disaster. But it worked for Capers and the Pack with Clay Mathews III.

When you say "it" worked out with Mathews III, are you saying they were similar situations? Can you explain?

barrett
04-11-2010, 10:13 AM
What's the roster count now for turn over ? thirty guys ? thirty five guys out of fifty three ? I'd say Smith and Kubes are peddling as fast as they can. And for a rookie owner McNair is learning. He makes mistakes . But he hasn't made the same ones twice. What else can you ask of the man ? Had a good schedule last year. Won't be so friendly this year. SB ? They will have to earn it this season, indeed. It'll be shear force of will and football smarts.
Somewhere out there is a story on SB odds, We, the Texans, aren't bottom dwelling any more. And that is a good sign. Eventually tough this team needs to get on an eight game winning streak and slay the division dragon. And that is entirely up to the players. Championships, like wars are won in the will.

And from what I've seen and read Mr McNair has denied his officers nothing they have asked for. Nothing.

I'd say the roster turnover is much lower than that. Here's a list of guys that I felt like could be beaten out by a late round pick from some other post:

32 Bennett, Fred CB 6-1 200 South Carolina 4th
57 Bentley, Kevin LB 6-0 245 Northwestern 9th
50 Bing, Darnell LB 6-2 220 Southern California 3rd
10 Booty, John David QB 6-3 213 Southern California 2nd

3 Brown, Kris K 5-11 212 Nebraska 12th

99 Egboh, Pannel DE 6-6 276 Stanford 1st

75 Helms, Brett C 6-2 270 LSU 1st
27 Henry, Chris RB 5-11 230 Arizona 3rd

96 Jamison, Tim * DE 6-3 270 Michigan 2nd

38 Johnson, Jeremiah RB 5-9 210 Oregon 1st

28 Molden, Antwaun CB 6-1 202 Eastern Kentucky 3rd

72 Nading, Jesse DE 6-5 264 Colorado State 2nd
33 Nolan, Troy S 6-2 206 Arizona State 1st
97 Okam, Frank DT 6-5 338 Texas 2nd

38 Parson, Mark CB 5-10 192 Ohio University 1st

79 Stenavich, Adam T 6-4 308 Michigan 1st

53 Verdell, Toddrick

That's what 17, maybe 18 guys. Now at camp we're talking about 80 guys but as for the season roster itself the depth is to the point where you can expect your top 4 or 5 picks to make the team and then anything else is going to be pretty difficult.

I like your post by the way. Got me all riled up!