PDA

View Full Version : Ragone Watch (NFL Europe)

Wolf
03-06-2005, 11:43 AM
The Berlin Thunder offense worked together for the first time on Monday, opening up its 2005 passing camp with 23 offensive players taking part in nearly two hours of drills and conditioning.

“It felt really good to be out there,” Thunder quarterback Dave Ragone said. “I was impressed with the speed and the talent of some of those guys. The international guys really impressed me out there.”

Ragone’s plethora of tight spirals was the talk of the lockerroom by most of his new teammates after the first day.

“I see that we have a couple quarterbacks that can really gun the ball,” wide receiver Huey Whittaker said. “That ball was coming right at me. I also see that we have some wide receivers with some speed can and the running backs, too, looked solid. We’re ready to go and we want to keep it up.”

Keeping up pace with the offense and developing a rapport with the quarterbacks will be the most important thing for the rest of this offense in the next two days. “It’s extremely important,” Thunder head coach Rick Lantz said after practice. “The quarterbacks and the receivers have to really feel for each other.”

Helping ease the transition between the new teammates is quarterbacks and wide receivers coach Steve Logan. Logan, who was head coach of East Carolina from 1992-2002, directed the quarterbacks and receivers through much of the morning practice. “That’s what he does,” Lantz said. “He is working with these guys on the run and coaching these guys because he understands exactly what is going on. He can tell these players where to be in just a few words.”

For many of the players, just the opportunity to put on a helmet and cleats was enough to get their juices flowing.

“I didn’t take my helmet off the entire time,” wide receiver Allen Suber said. “I didn’t want to take any breaks. We’re tough guys coming from Division II college football. It felt really nice to be out there.”

Ragone, who spent the entire 2004 season with the Houston Texans as a backup quarterback, was also thrilled to be out in the Tampa sunshine. “It’s like I’ve got a new life. I feel almost reborn,” he said. “Here everyone is competing but I’ve got a chance to go out there and be a leader.”

Berlin (http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/BER/8241778)

Wolf
03-06-2005, 11:46 AM
here is the next article.

2nd article (http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/BER/8244980)

On the eve of the first day of NFL Europe’s 2005 training camp, members of the Berlin Thunder offense are pleased by how confident they feel after finishing up a two-day passing camp. Passing camp was designed entirely for quarterbacks to get into rhythm with their offensive weapons.

“I was surprised that a lot of us were able to pick up the plays so well,” said wide receiver Terrence Stubbs, who was allocated by the New York Jets after spending the entire season on their practice squad. “The timing was there between the quarterbacks and the receivers, and we really didn’t have too many mistakes out there on the field.”

Stubbs was supremely impressed with the arm strength of Houston Texans’ allocated quarterback Dave Ragone. “Dave has a very strong arm,” Stubbs said matter-of-factly. “He really gets it there quick.”

The key now for the other eight wide receivers currently on the Thunder roster is to stay consistent and to continue studying the playbook, Stubbs felt. “I want to keep learning the playbook so I can try and make plays out there on the field,” he said.

TexanExile
03-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Love the media hype. "Supremely impressed," but he said it "matter-of-factly." :hmmm:

Go, Rags, go. Become awesome! Prove me--errrrr, I mean, the doubters--wrong about you!!!

By the way, lol@"Hamburg Sea Devils." Why not Hamburg Lars?

Wolf
03-06-2005, 04:23 PM
The World Bowl champion Berlin Thunder and their head coach Rick Lantz have begun working to defend their title by putting together a roster that – they hope – will match and even exceed the talent of their 2004 team.

At the head of the franchise, and hoping to fill the big boots vacated by 2004 NFL Europe Offensive MVP Rohan Davey, will be quarterback Dave Ragone, allocated to Berlin by the Houston Texans. Ragone is excited to be a part of the Thunder team, and his description of his skills had Lantz looking back to his 2004 squad for a point of reference.

“I am a left-handed quarterback. I make good decisions, I try not to make high risk passes. I manage the game well and understand what you need to do to win,” Ragone said. “I would not describe my self as a screamer who gets into teammates faces, I try to lead by example. My biggest role model in football would be a guy like Brett Favre, he plays for the love of the game, and that’s kind of how I feel. I want to lay it on the line and win football games.”

“I watched Dave Ragone play in college – I always keep an eye on Louisville as I used to coach there. He is a big, smart, strong, tough player – he reminds me a bit of a guy we had here last year,” responded an excited Lantz.

Ragone is part of a three-man quarterback rotation for Berlin that will compete in Tampa Bay for the starting job in training camp in the upcoming weeks. Although he will be going all out to win the job ahead of Jeff Krohn ({Pittsburgh Steelers) and Brett Engemann (Oakland Raiders), Ragone is looking forward to the camaraderie that will grow between the three players. blueprint for success (http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/BER/8194852)

Grid
03-06-2005, 04:52 PM
god forbid he becomes the NFLE MVP. I can just see the "Bench Carr and put in Ragone!" threads now.

Honoring Earl 34
03-06-2005, 04:57 PM
:thumbup It would help Carr if someone pushed him in camp .

Grid
03-06-2005, 05:05 PM
I honestly dont think Carr is the type of person that needs outside motivation to give 100%

Rosusu
03-06-2005, 05:10 PM
I hope Ragone does amazing and he gets MVP and then we trade him for a 1st round draft pick!! I am positive this will happen! :fib

Grid
03-06-2005, 05:14 PM
now that is a scenario that would rock.

everyone wins.. we get a 1st rounder, someone else gets a good QB, and Ragone gets to start and lead his own team.

TexanExile
03-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Ragone's "good decisions," I hope, will include holding onto the freaking ball when the center snaps it. Seems like a nice place to start...? :woot

More power to him. If Rags turns in a phenomenal minor-league season in Europe, it may not do much to Carr, but I bet it'll affect the other backups.

Dionysus22
03-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Ya'll took the words right outta my mouth! I was just thinking that. We have two pretty outstanding back-up QBs, Ragone and Symons. Ragone came out of college with a pretty impressive senior campaign, and B.J. shattered almost every, if not all, passing records in Div. I. IMO Ragone's stock could really rise this season in Europe and that could draw some interests from other teams. Then we would have the option of trading for picks in the draft or an even swap for someone. It's true Symons played in a "pass happy" offense at Tech but coming off of an ACL injury, I don't think teams would be too eager to jump on his bandwagon. I think he would be a great back up for DC. Don't get me wrong, Ragone would be an awesome back up to David, possibly challange him for the starting spot. He's definately gonna be a starter somewhere. But I'm afraid if we don't get something for him now, we won't get squat when his contract is up and he signs a phat deal with someone else and we end up with nothing.

TexansTrueFan
03-06-2005, 08:51 PM
ok we're looking at the positives, what do we do if he goes over there and completly chokes ? What would you expect then, if he cant compete an "minor" level how do we expect him to compete at the pro level ? :whew

TexanExile
03-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Apologies if this is slightly off-topic, but this thread led me to start poking around the NFLE website to see where the other Texans-allocated players would be seeing action this year, and I have to admit I'm a bit puzzled.

Any idea where our guys are?? Other than Rags, the only ones I found were:

Antonio Rodriguez (Amsterdam or Cologne, depending on where you look)
Allen Suber (Berlin)
Nick Narcisse (Frankfurt)
B.J. Symons (?!?!) (Frankfurt)
Anthony Dunn (Cologne)
Brandon Evans (Cologne)
Dave Moretti (Cologne)

None of Houston's other allocations (as released Jan. 31) are in the league's player list. And if you search the NFLE's master player roster, only Ragone and Rodriguez show up. The other listings are from scanning the individual player rosters. And Symons is on a roster? I'm confused.

One possible explanation for this is that one team (Hamburg) still hasn't posted its roster into the NFLE master list. But that'd be amazing to find all the rest of Houston's players on the Hamburglars squad.

Side note: Defensive coaches for Berlin include "Chris Dishman." (Spelled as they did.)

TexansTrueFan
03-06-2005, 09:15 PM
is there only 4 teams in NFL Europe or something ? I sure thought it was bigger than that !

rittenhouserobz
03-07-2005, 07:05 AM
I believe there are 6.

TexansTrueFan
03-07-2005, 08:51 AM
only 6 teams and they call it NFL europe ???? miswell call it NFLGermany

edo783
03-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Unfortunatly, that is basically what it is. Used to be one in Spain and one in Scottland, but those teams folded and became German teams. Hopefully as it is played longer in europe, it will gain more of a following and again expand.

TexanExile
03-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Press release from NFLE Training Camp in Tampa (http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8269350)

Ragone went 4 of 5 for 46 yards in a scrimmage against Frankfurt today.

F-minus67
03-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of Ragone in his new digs?

Señor Stan
03-08-2005, 09:48 PM
not much but better'n nothin'

http://www.berlin-thunder.de/imgs/news/n1023.jpg

http://www.sportsline.com/u/photos/pl_55861.jpg

http://images.nfl.com/photos/img8241883.jpg

keyfro
03-10-2005, 10:49 PM
i think ragone could be a dark horse and shock a lot of people by his ability...let's not forget the only time ragone got any real playing time was against jacksonville's stround and henderson when we had weigert and washington out...not exactly a good line in front of him

bigfan77801
03-11-2005, 09:05 PM
i think ragone could be a dark horse and shock a lot of people by his ability...let's not forget the only time ragone got any real playing time was against jacksonville's stround and henderson when we had weigert and washington out...not exactly a good line in front of him

So, you're saying we have a line?
:hmmm:

keyfro
03-12-2005, 04:27 PM
no i'm saying we don't...i think weigert is constantly hurt so he can be effective...mckinney is way over matched when he is going against stroud and henderson and wand is too slow against freeney...simply put three of our starting o-lineman can't handle the vigors of the afc south division and need to be upgraded...mckinney or weigert can be upgraded soon in this draft during the second round i believe with any of those guards and centers out there...david baas, chris spencer, marcus johnson, elton brown, and ben wilkerson any of those guys would be a much welcome addition

TEXANS84
03-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Just in case you guys want to keep up in detail about our Texans over there, sideline (our over the pond friend on texanstalk) has started a website to keep tabs on our boys.

Sideline's NFL Europe Website (http://www.geocities.com/nfl_europe_league/)

BigDTexansFan
03-19-2005, 02:53 PM
I watched Ragone with some interest 1st year he was withg team, was wondering how rest of our players are looking with their respective teams. :confused:

Vinny
03-21-2005, 10:34 AM
NFLe camp cuts are in. Amsterdam cut Texans RB Adam Mathews, S Eli Ward, and Cologne cut LB Antonio Rodriguez.

http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8310401

D-ReK
03-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Was Mathews the RB that looked good in preseason last year, but got injured before the season, or was that someone else?

I thought Ward was a promising prospect...Guess the Admirals didn't think the same...

D-ReK
03-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Berlin Thunder

WAIVED: Steve Baker, P; Josh Buhl, LB; Jason Gesser, QB; Robert Redd, WR; Marque Davis, WR.
INJURED RESERVE: Allen Suber, WR.

Looks like BJ beat out Jason Gesser for a spot and Allen Suber is on IR...

Dionysus22
03-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Looks like BJ beat out Jason Gesser for a spot and Allen Suber is on IR...
Wasn't Gesser suppose to be this "Bad A**" coming out of college? What happened? Didn't he get drafted by Tennessee?

TEXANS84
03-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Scrimmage Notes March 20 2005...The Finals scrimmages were held on Saturday with all the teams partaking in there final practices in Tampa Bay, as they ship out on Sunday Night and Monday morning. In the scrimmages Cologne looked very strong in the air as all three quarterbacks played strong games, but the however struggle on the ground with there leading rusher only gaining 19 yards albeit on only a few carries, Amsterdam once again faired well as they look like one of the strong teams coming into the 2005 season, and Houston Texans allocated Kicker Chris Snyder who has seen a lot of good reports in camp connected on both field goals he attempted from 35 and 51 yards. In the scrimmage between the Berlin Thunder and Rhein Fire once again Dave Ragone struggled going only 2 for 6 with 14 yards, however on the other hand once again Brett Engemann looked strong hitting all 5 of his passes for over 30 yards passing. The Fire passers also looked strong as the longest completion of the day came from there group. Hamburg looked strong all round in there scrimmage against Frankfurt all the Quarterbacks played well noticeably Ryan Dinwiddle and on only two rushing attempts Larry Croom had 20 yards, and not forgetting English National Receiver Scott McReady having 3 passes for 36 yards. Texans Quarterback B.J Symons also played in the game however i have not yet heard his statistics as soon as i do i will put them online. Akili Smith also looked strong for the Galaxy completing 7 passes. That is it for the teams in Tampa Bay as they now ship out to Europe where the weather is not quite as warm as in sunny Florida

Dont forget to keep checking Sideline's NFL Europe website, he's a strong Texans fan...and he is keeping track of all the Texans relocated over to there to play.
Sideline's Texans/NFL Europe Website (http://www.geocities.com/nfl_europe_league/)

texasguy346
03-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Wasn't Gesser suppose to be this "Bad A**" coming out of college? What happened? Didn't he get drafted by Tennessee?

Gesser wasn't ever a top QB prospect coming out of college. When he came out of Washington State I recall him hoping to get picked up somewhere in Day 2 of the draft. I'm not sure if he was drafted or signed as an undrafted free agent by Tennesse (I'm thinking he was signed as an undrafted free agent), but he ended up with them either way. He doesn't have a lot of arm strength, and I think his size was yet another reason he wasn't highly thought of by NFL teams. He's a 3rd string type of QB at best.

TEXANS84
03-21-2005, 09:53 PM
Symons in the Hunt March 21 2005...The Frankfurt Galaxy starting Quarterbacks have yet to be announced meaning although he arrived late to camp after having to go and get a knee check up Houston Texans Quarterback B.J Symons is still in with a good chance of becoming the starting passer come April 2nd, his competition are Akili Smith and Kevin Eakin.

Narcisse Injured Reserve March 21 2005... Frankfurt Galaxy and Houston Texans Wide Receiver has been landed on the Frankfurt injured reserve list, unlike the NFL list it does not prevent them from coming back this season, it just means that he will most probably be heading to Alabama for Rehabilitation before returning to Europe.

Matthews a Sea Devil March 21 2005... As promised a few of the Houston Texans allocated players are back with NFL Europe teams, Adam Matthews was one of the first claimed of waivers as the Hamburg Sea Devils brought him in and have since allocated him to there Practice Squad. Sadly as yet Linebacker Antonio Rodriguez has not been claimed or re-allocated.

From Sidelines NFLE website: http://www.geocities.com/nfl_europe_league/

http://www.geocities.com/nfl_europe_league/symons2.jpg BJ Symons

http://www.geocities.com/nfl_europe_league/pl_55861.jpg Dave Ragone

2-DUNTA-3
03-28-2005, 08:35 AM
little update straight from the source. I am working with the cologne centurions in the promotions department, but i just saw the first depth chart to but put out soon.

Anthony Dunn will be starting as the Sam Linebacker with David Morretti backing him up.

Brandon Evans better known around here as "Bubba" will be the starting LG.

and Scates is the only punter so he is the starter for better or for worse. although he has been bothered by an injury lately.

should be a good season. Go centurions. but i am not sure about the rest of the texans around the league.

JacksonvilleJaguar4
03-30-2005, 01:30 AM
I hope both your QB's do well in Europe

JacksonvilleJaguar4
03-30-2005, 01:45 AM
Hey guys! I have a question that I have been meaning to ask you and this Ragone watch threads reminded me to ask you guys about Dave Ragone I read about hime in a magazine that had a section in there profiling him as a rookie in 2003 and talking to him about the draft and things like that. Well what confused me is why? Why would you guys,on what seemed to me as a "waste" of a draft pick when just a year earlier you guys drafted a very capable very talented David Carr at #1 who I think is just on the verge on having a big break out year although some of you might consider last year somewhat of a breakout year. But the point of this story is why with a great young guy like him around would you turn around the next year and draft another young gun? Just a question that's been naging me. :confused:

infantrycak
03-30-2005, 07:39 AM
Several reasons (1) you need 2-3 QB's in this league, (2) Banks isn't getting any younger or more talented and (3) Ragone had been graded as highly as the 1st round so getting him in the 3rd was considered a clear value/BPA pick.

JacksonvilleJaguar4
03-30-2005, 08:52 PM
well I know you have to have 2 to 3 QB's but you already had two or three I would hope, and why wouldn't you just sign a FA?

Vinny
03-30-2005, 08:53 PM
When Tony Banks is your back up QB you are looking for a QB.

JacksonvilleJaguar4
03-30-2005, 08:55 PM
When Tony Banks is your back up QB you are looking for a QB.
:heh: same thing when you have David Garrard as your backup

TexanExile
03-31-2005, 08:26 PM
All of the NFLE teams' starting QBs have been named. Makes sense, considering the start of their season is this weekend! Ragone got some kind words in the article.

Full article (http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8343698)

Behold, the return of Akili Smith. *yawn*

infantrycak
03-31-2005, 08:57 PM
Little disappointed Symons couldn't at least get 2nd string.

vtech9
03-31-2005, 09:39 PM
Little disappointed Symons couldn't at least get 2nd string.
not really surpising since he missed most of camp

TommyS
04-01-2005, 01:03 PM
NFL.com's Mike Carlson:

"BERLIN THUNDER
Why it will win: Potentially the league's best QB"

how kind...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8346661

Grid
04-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Why do we continue to draft QBs? look at Philly and Miami. AJ Feeley.. young, talented backup QB that go traded to Miami for a second rounder.

Not only does having these young guys around provide us with some lasting depth.. but it also is possible trade bait for the future.

TexanExile
04-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Ha, good one! AJ Feeley, "talented." April Fool's, right? :)

Just kidding...I think the guy MAY turn into an average NFL starter someday, but not next year or the year after that. He has absolutely NO offensive line to help him in the near term, and nobody to run the ball--pending the outcome of the draft, of course. Let's face it...if you're in danger of losing your starting job to Gus "Headbutt" Frerotte, you're not good.

Back to the topic. I agree that keeping a stock of young QBs around is smart. They can indeed be valuable, either on the field or as options for trading...and they don't hurt you nearly as much cap-wise as some of these retread veteran QBs who can be just as iffy. I have the TiVo programmed for Berlin's games and I'll watch with interest to see exactly what we have with Rags. Bummer that Symons won't see the same playing time.

Vinny
04-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Ragone off to a good start. 49 yard pass to start the game.

http://www.nfleurope.com/scores

TEXANS84
04-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Here is sideline's update from the 1st half of Ragone's start over on texanstalk:

Just thoght i would let you guys know, unless you are watching, the first half has just finished between the Berlin Thunder and the Frankfurt Galaxy and Dave Ragone is playing Very very well, looking poised, making good decisions and throwing accurate passes including a Touchdown. The Thunder have scored on all three of the possesions that Ragone has been in the game.

I will be doing a full review of the game on Ragone and Co on my website probably later tonight. But if he continues the way he has started things look great.

TEXANS84
04-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Currently in the 3rd quarter, Ragone 14-21 for 150 yards and a touchdown.

Berlin leads Akili Smith's Frankfurt Galaxy 20-0.

Berlin has 303 yards of offense, to Frankfurt's 39! :shocked

Rosusu
04-02-2005, 12:44 PM
I tried to get the Game Stats to come up off of that page and it would never load. Anyone else have this problem?

Good to hear that Ragone is doing good and Akili is doing bad, Symons may get his shot.

Wolf
04-02-2005, 12:47 PM
I couldn't get the gamestats to load either

TEXANS84
04-02-2005, 12:47 PM
I tried to get the Game Stats to come up off of that page and it would never load. Anyone else have this problem?

Good to hear that Ragone is doing good and Akili is doing bad, Symons may get his shot.

Nope, its rockin' for me.

Ragone update:

16/23 179 yards 1 touchdown.
Berlin leads 30-7 with 5:00 left in the 4th quarter.

Carr Bombed
04-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Oh I can already see the trade Carr, start Ragone threads. :wacko:

Grid
04-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Im seeing dollar signs :).. I can see the trade Ragone get a first rounder in 2006 threads hehe.

1st rounder.. not likely.. maybe a 2nd if he really does good.

TexanExile
04-02-2005, 01:54 PM
I just finished watching the game. (boy, is this ever a league made for TiVo...thank goodness for fast forward!!) I was impressed with much of Ragone's overall game. He was unquestionably the best of the 4 QBs who saw action. (Side note: that QB Eakin from the Jets is atrocious. WOW. Akili can sleep soundly at night if THAT's the threat to his starting job!)

Rags' first throw will get all the attention, and it was very nice. He looks slow moving out of the pocket, laser-locks onto many of his receivers, but has great knowledge of where the defenders are when he's scrambling. Tough, too. Threw behind a receiver on a very easy dump pass, but the guy still caught it. He seemed to understand his offense MUCH better than any of the other QBs, although I think the light was flickering back on for Akili late in the 4th. (Unfortunately for him, Frankfurt is a seriously bad football team. Bad WRs, little O-line, absolutely nothing doing in the backfield.)

He finished with a 107 rating. Nice day. Considering the weak opposition, I think he gets a B+.

Another totally unrelated comment: I realize this is minor league football (I was, after all, a season ticketholder for one of the American teams before the WLAF became NFLE), but is it too much to ask that the NFL get a coverage crew over there that can work cameras, do graphics, and direct broadcasts? That looked like "Wayne's World" over there! It's Berlin, for crying out loud, not Somalia. SOMEBODY over there has televised sports before!

TexanExile
04-02-2005, 07:34 PM
Interesting motivational quote for Ragone here from an NFL.com article:

Many of the scouts thought Berlin's Dave Ragone (Houston) the league's best, though his scrimmages also were uneven. He's a big, strong gamer whose passes sometimes go awry...according to Texans director of pro scouting Chuck Banker: "He hasn't played quality minutes in a long time, and needs the reps," Banker said. "A good performance would solidify him as our No. 2."

Full article (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1594)

Texans Pride
04-02-2005, 07:35 PM
I just finished watching the game.

What channel was the game on? I couldn't find it anywhere

Vinny
04-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Looks like Ragone dominated. 16 for 23 with 179 yards and a TD with no INT's. Akili Smith was 6 for 11 for 68 yards.

Berlin Thunder
PASSING ATT CMP YDS SK/YD TD LG IN RT
D.Ragone 23 16 179 1/9 1 48 0 107.0
C.Finlen 7 4 36 0/0 0 25 1 31.5

Total 30 20 215 1/9 1 48 1 84.7

Frankfurt Galaxy
A.Smith 11 6 68 0/0 1 34 1 65.7
K.Eakin 10 2 24 0/0 0 16 0 39.6

Total 21 8 92 0/0 1 34 1 48.1

http://www.nfleurope.com/scores/stats/2005/04022005_fra_ber_stats

The Berlin Thunder opened the defense of their World Bowl title with a 30-7 victory over the Frankfurt Galaxy, the team that they defeated in Düsseldorf in 2004 to take the championship.

Rick Lantz’s team had a familiar look to it, mixing a tough ground game and opportunistic passing game on offense, and showing good toughness on defense, holding the Galaxy to just 120 yards of total offense and winning the time of possession battle by 45 minutes to 15 for Frankfurt.

Berlin starting quarterback Dave Ragone outduelled former third overall draft pick, Akili Smith, throwing for 179 yards and a score from 16 completions, compared to Smith’s 6 of 11 for 68 yard effort. Berlin’s running backs combined for over 200 yards, with Little John Flowers scoring two touchdowns.

Frankfurt only avoided being shut out when they scored a touchdown with ten minutes remaining in the game.

The Galaxy won the toss and opened the new season with the ball, but soon had to punt. Starting from their own 29-yard line, Frankfurt earned a first a first down when Akili Smith hit tight end Mark Anelli, but started heading in the wrong direction two plays later when an attempted reverse from running back Ahmaad Galloway to receiver Sam Simmons was fumbled and recovered for a 9-yard loss by Smith.

Berlin’s first offensive play harkened back to their World Bowl XII winning gameplan, as Dave Ragone looked deep and hit Michael Jennings for a 48-yard gain to the Frankfurt 37-yard line. Starting running back Cal Murray’s two carries for 10 yards helped the Thunder pick up another first down, before Ragone looked to Jennings again in the endzone. The pass was fractionally long, and although the receiver managed to make the catch, it was out of bounds. A crucial sack by Derrick Crawford on third down meant that Berlin was forced to attempt a 46-yard field goal, which Kevin Miller converted to open the scoring.

The Thunder got back on the scoreboard on their next possession after holding Frankfurt to three and out. Ragone’s 14-yard run on third down took the ball to the Galaxy’s 15-yard line, and a 12-yard toss to tight end Ben Moa on the next play set them up at the Frankfurt 3 as the first quarter came to a close. It was 10-0 on the first play of the second quarter, when Little John Flowers’ 3-yard touchdown run rounded out the 11-play, 54-yard drive.

Kevin Eakin came in at quarterback for Frankfurt to open the second quarter, but his presence was unable to spark the Galaxy offense to life, as the Thunder once again held them to just three plays before Mike Barr was called in to punt the ball away.

Berlin made a switch of their own at quarterback, with Chris Finlen replacing the successful Ragone, and the New Orleans Saints allocated passer made an immediate impact with his arm and legs, scrambling for an 8-yard gain and then converting the first down with a 4-yard pass to fullback Brian Johnson. Four plays later Johnson made what looked like a crucial play, taking the snap when the team was lined up to punt and running 34 yards through the Galaxy special teams and forcing punt returner Sam Simmons to make the tackle at the 23-yard line. However, Finlen’s screen pass was picked off by defensive end Seante Williams, ending a promising Berlin drive.

The Thunder defense had a chance to make immediate amends, with a tipped pass falling agonizingly short of the diving Jermaine Mays, but they once again forced the Galaxy to bring Barr onto the field to punt with five minutes remaining in the quarter. With Ragone back behind center the Thunder continued to move the ball well, the passer once again showing his poise under pressure as he threw a 19-yard dart to Aaron Boone over the middle of the field on third-and-18. Another big play by fullback Johnson got the Thunder inside field goal range when he turned a short pass by Ragone into a 23-yard gain as the two-minute warning was sounded at the end of the half. Michael Jennings’ 11-yard and 5-yard catches sandwiched a 7-yard run by Flowers, taking the ball to the Frankfurt 10-yard line. From there Ragone went to Jennings in the endzone again and this time the New York Giants allocated receiver came down in bounds with the ball, handing Berlin a 17-0 half-time advantage. http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8349927

rhc564
04-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Oh I can already see the trade Carr, start Ragone threads. :wacko:
...just what we need, another Carr thread--better,yet, we need another
Sharper thread---knock about beat'n a dead horse!!! eek:

keyfro
04-02-2005, 08:26 PM
i'm glad to hear about ragone's success...but i'm not for trading him just yet...with banks only being here for two years i like to think we could keep ragone for awhile has is back-up but if someone is willing to throw a second or a first round pick our way for him why not...he's a great kid and deserves the best chance to start for a team...right now i think arizona, miami, san fran, and denver should really look at him...cause warner is past his prime, miami has nobody, either does san fran, and plummer is very questionable at times...i guess new orleans should be thrown in there as well with brooks backwards pass last season...haha....ragone is a solid qb once he gets quality reps in

Grid
04-02-2005, 09:29 PM
If someone offers a second or better for him.. I think we should take it.

We can get more talent to play depth behind Carr.. and we can always pick somebody else up to fill in.

Just keep drafting young QBs with potential.. keep molding them into NFL quality players.. and keep selling em for a profit :). Its a good, cheap way to get extra draft picks... and provide depth at QB.

Besides.. I think if a good offer is made... we would be jerks to hold onto him and make him sit on the bench when we could have made a profit and given him a chance to start somewhere else (long as it isnt a division rival anyway)

Vinny
04-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Having a solid back up QB is important. I don't think Ragone is going anywhere for the time being. The back up is one play away and if we want to think we are a playoff team we can't just have rookies stepping in to lead this team if DC gets injured. Banks is not going to be here too much longer.

Vinny
04-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Sidelines game review.

http://www.geocities.com/nfl_europe_league/week1_ber_fra_review.htm

vtech9
04-03-2005, 12:18 PM
If you have NFL Network, you can watch the game today at 2pm.

TexanExile
04-03-2005, 07:52 PM

If you have DirecTV and Sunday Ticket, the games are on live, either on ch. 212 or somewhere in the low 700s. Otherwise, on a lot of cable systems they're rebroadcast on NFL Network periodically all week long, and other games are carried on network TV.

For a full guide to NFLE broadcast times/channels: Click here! (http://www.nfleurope.com/multimedia/schedules/tv)

D-ReK
04-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Wow I've got to wait until May 29th to see Ragone play...Not having NFL Network sucks...

edo783
04-03-2005, 08:53 PM
I watched it today and Rags looked pretty solid. First game of the season and all, but still looked pretty good. On his first play, it was a 48 yard completion. I really have to give most of the credit to the reciever on it for making a great play on the ball as it wasn't totally on target. Most of his passes were on target and had good zip. He moved well and had one good run for over 10 yards. What kept running through my mind was, that he was getting pretty good protection and how I wished David would get the same.

edo783
04-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Another thing that came to mind when I was watching Ragone play.....DANG, he is not very good looking, especially compared to Carr. The girls won't be lining up near as much for him.

keyfro
04-03-2005, 09:42 PM
well on another note of the game with the galaxy QB's being so inaffective maybe BJ will get his shot next week...personally i'd think akili smith has been the biggest bust in the past 10 years...and for some reason people still keep giving him shots at coming back...i'd rather them give Symons a chance to get some reps since you know he won't get than many chances here in houston

edo783
04-04-2005, 10:00 AM
well on another note of the game with the galaxy QB's being so inaffective maybe BJ will get his shot next week...personally i'd think akili smith has been the biggest bust in the past 10 years...and for some reason people still keep giving him shots at coming back...i'd rather them give Symons a chance to get some reps since you know he won't get than many chances here in houston

The Galaxy QBs didn't look very good at all, but to give Akklie a little due, his recievers had hands of stone. Seemed like they droped 2 out of 3 passes that were tossed. The back up to Rags didn't look very good either.

rittenhouserobz
04-04-2005, 11:26 AM
When I saw the opening stats for Akili Smith I was amazed to read that he had 5 TD's in 22 games. I believe that Akili was picked, because the "running" QB was the in thing and GMs were really looking at fools gold. Akili Smith would have been a RB fifteen years ago. I also was impressed with Ragone's performance.

TexasAggie
04-06-2005, 03:50 PM
If you have DirecTV and Sunday Ticket, the games are on live, either on ch. 212 or somewhere in the low 700s. Otherwise, on a lot of cable systems they're rebroadcast on NFL Network periodically all week long, and other games are carried on network TV.

For a full guide to NFLE broadcast times/channels: Click here! (http://www.nfleurope.com/multimedia/schedules/tv)

:woot How many think T Banks gets cut this year and Ragone & BJ both make the team? :hmmm:

I have never been a Banks fan but must admit that he has been adaquate when called on the few games he played in. The Texans gave him a two year contract and $800,000. SB. So cutting him may not be in the cards this year.

vtech9
04-06-2005, 04:44 PM
:woot How many think T Banks gets cut this year and Ragone & BJ both make the team? :hmmm:

I have never been a Banks fan but must admit that he has been adaquate when called on the few games he played in. The Texans gave him a two year contract and $800,000. SB. So cutting him may not be in the cards this year.
Not very likely, but I would like to see it...I have never really cared for Banks, and I'd hate to lose either Ragone or Symons unless we got a good trade for them. Symons could still be put on the practice squad this year, but I don't think he would make it. I think another team would pick him up, and we would lose him and get nothing in return.

Capster67
04-08-2005, 10:48 PM
The thought of getting rid of Banks this year scares me. I can't forget 2 years ago when Banks went down and Ragone started and we were shut out in Jacksonville and only got a field goal in Tampa Bay. Ragone may have developed some since then, but those starts were truly horrific!

Grid
04-08-2005, 11:29 PM
That game was also Andre Johnson in his first year.. and he had Tony Hollings for an RB.

if Ragone started today.. it would probably look alot better than it did then. Actually Ragone didnt look half bad that game.. but some great deep passes got dropped by both Bradford and Johnson.. and Hollings was not able to take any of the pressure off him.

TexansTrueFan
04-09-2005, 10:02 PM
That game was also Andre Johnson in his first year.. and he had Tony Hollings for an RB.

if Ragone started today.. it would probably look alot better than it did then. Actually Ragone didnt look half bad that game.. but some great deep passes got dropped by both Bradford and Johnson.. and Hollings was not able to take any of the pressure off him.

i agree nobody made that game very easy on ragone.

keyfro
04-10-2005, 12:59 PM
here is ragone's stats for this weeks game against the sea devils

D.Ragone 28 17 168 3/21 1 30 1 74.7

pretty solid numbers...don't like to see him getting sacked 3 times a game though

Vinny
04-16-2005, 10:28 PM
D.Ragone 27 15 186 1/7 2 26 1 86.3
C.Finlen 4 2 2 1/9 0 6 0 56.2

Total 31 17 188 2/16 2 26 1 81.1

RUSHING ATT YDS AVG LG TD
C.Murray 14 78 5.6 27 0
L.Flowers 10 62 6.2 21 0
D.Ragone 4 28 7.0 14 1
C.Finlen 1 3 3.0 3 0

Total 29 171 5.9 27 1
Two completions by Ragone got the Thunder to Amsterdam 5, and the Houston allocated passer then made a tremendous play to find a leaping Boone in the back of the endzone to give the Thunder a 25-24 lead. Trying their second two-point conversion, Berlin found the recipe for success, sending Ragone on a bootleg to the right and he strolled in to make it 27-24 with 2:51 remaining.

Starting from their 22, the Admirals began cautiously, completing a pair of passes over the middle to the 39. Next, however, Hamdan looked deep, drawing a pass interference penalty against Flemming that set the Admirals up at the 16-yard line. On the next play Amsterdam retook the lead when Hamdan found Ruvell Martin in the back of the endzone for a score. The extra point gave the Admirals a four point advantage at 31-27 with 1:45 left in the contest.

On the very first play of the Thunder possession the Admirals sealed the victory. Looking right for Boone, Ragone was picked off by Admirals cornerback B.J. Tucker, finally putting an end to the Thunder challenge and finishing their magical seven-game winning streak. http://images.nfl.com/photos/img8391728.jpg

http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8391731

Admiral54
04-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Hello to you all,
Being an Admirals fan I was at the game vs Berlin last night and I must confess Ragone played good. But he seemed to be out of breath once in a while.
But your own kicker Kris Snyder did well too, for the Admirals that is! And when Ragone threw an interception at the end of the game the Admiral fans were too happy and so was I. I have 2 Texans fans in my family and they wear their Texans jersey's every game

Greetings from the other side of the ocean

ps. are you able to see some NFLE games?

rittenhouserobz
04-17-2005, 04:15 PM
I catch them on NFL network after they have already been played.

vtech9
04-17-2005, 10:11 PM
I try to watch all of the games that are shown on NFL network. Speaking of which, I watched the Cologn/Frankfurt game today. Cologn has a few Texans players on their team. Brandon Evans starts at LG, Anthony Dunn starts at one of the LB positions with Moretti backing him up. I can't say that I noticed either one of the LB's do much of anything, but Brandon Evans really looked good. I don't know if it is the lack of ability on the Frankfurt defensive line, but I noticed Evans dominating his guy most of the time when he was in there. One thing that tells me it wasn't the lack of ability on the DL is that when Evans wasn't in there, his replacement was getting blown out.

Wolf
04-23-2005, 07:04 PM
here is one of our "wasted" late round picks (I am only joking)
about the game.
http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8412811

D.Ragone 17 of 27 for 147 yards and 2TD's and no INT"S for a rating of

DocBar
04-23-2005, 07:09 PM
What a waste....Think he'll stick around as a back up? He's looking pretty good over there.

vtech9
04-23-2005, 11:02 PM
B.J. Symons finally got to play in his first game today. Symons was 6 of 12 for 67 yards, and ran for a TD. He came in drove Frankfurt down the field with their last posession in the game, and ended the drive with a one yard TD run to give Frankfurt it's only TD of the game.

Maybe Symons will start getting more playing time after his positive showing today.

|Mercury|
04-24-2005, 12:11 PM
yah Akili Smith has been below average most of the time he has been out there, I really wish that they would put him on the freakin bench after this. BJ Symons is much better mentally and physically imo.

F-minus67
04-25-2005, 03:26 PM
does anyone have any pics of Ragone in action?

texan279
04-25-2005, 08:38 PM
I watched the Rhein game last night on the NFL Network, I'm not sure if it was a repeat or what, but I definitely think Ragone is going to be our #2 guy, he looked pretty sharp.

Hervoyel
04-25-2005, 09:14 PM
Ragone's is probably going to be our #2. In another year or two he might be a low 1st round pick or a high 2nd at the rate he's going. The more I see of him over in NFLE the more I'm thinking that he's going to net us a draft pick next year or the year after.

TexanExile
04-25-2005, 10:21 PM
I haven't had a chance to watch all the game from last weekend yet, but I saw the first half. I agree...Rags is exceeding my expectations. He moves well and throws on the run better than I thought he could.

From what I've seen of the NFLEL games this year, he has the best O-line in the league, which counts for something, but I'd rather him build confidence in a situation like that and come back ready to bump Tony Banks to #3. Nothing against Banks, but what is Texans Offseason 2005 without a younger veteran thwacking a veteran out of his job? :heh:

Haven't seen Symons yet. Sounds like a good start, though. One more note about Ragone: he's taken some SERIOUS shots, several of which were penalized. At least in Week 1, he demonstrated toughness and kept coming back. Haven't seen the rest of this game, so I don't know how he responded to some of those shots in the first half. At one point he was motioning to come out of the game, but that's where I had to stop watching the recording.

texan279
04-25-2005, 10:25 PM
The game I watched last night they were talking in the second half about the shots he had taken inthe game, and he was still taking shots in the second half. I could tell a time or two he was a little shaken up, but he got right back under center and threw some really good passes, some while scrambling or on the run, and he hit the WR exactly where it needed to be thrown, I saw him thread a few needles, I am getting excited about having him here.

infantrycak
04-25-2005, 10:33 PM
The game I watched last night they were talking in the second half about the shots he had taken inthe game, and he was still taking shots in the second half. I could tell a time or two he was a little shaken up, but he got right back under center and threw some really good passes, some while scrambling or on the run, and he hit the WR exactly where it needed to be thrown, I saw him thread a few needles, I am getting excited about having him here.

Everyone (well not quite, but it seems that way) slams Ragone for the 2003 Jax game but IMO I was impressed by the kid. He got slammed like a hockey puck but kept coming back and trying to make things happen with his feet if nothing else was available. Kid is a gamer.

Wolf
04-25-2005, 10:34 PM
what I like about him.. he is a left handed David Carr .. with that MEANING .. we don't have to change our offense if he gets in... he can throw the deep ball.

vtech9
04-25-2005, 10:58 PM
....From what I've seen of the NFLEL games this year, he has the best O-line in the league, which counts for something, but I'd rather him build confidence in a situation like that and come back ready to bump Tony Banks to #3....
I have watched as much NFLEL as possible, and Ragone doesn't have the best O-LIne. From what I have seen so far, Cologn looks to have the best O-Line.

rittenhouserobz
04-26-2005, 05:06 AM
I thought Cologne's OL had a Texan on it? The Texans seemed to have picked the right guys for this NFLE assignment.

Admiral54
04-26-2005, 03:31 PM
does anyone have any pics of Ragone in action?
there is one pix of ragone on the nfle site. but maybe you should try the berlin thunder site.
the admirals play the next game vs berlin saturday. unfortunately I'm not able to go to Berlin, but i can see the game sunday afternoon on tv.berlin.

ATX
04-28-2005, 12:32 PM
European vacation
By Nick Schenck
HoustonTexans.com

For the last three years of his college career, Dave Ragone was one of the nation’s most prolific quarterbacks at Louisville , completing 664 of 1,133 passes (58.6 percent), with 73 touchdowns and only 28 interceptions in 41 games as a starter.

The past two years have been a different story.

The Texans’ third-round pick in the 2003 NFL Draft has been faced with a predicament so many young signal-callers experience. With an entrenched starter and a quality veteran backup in front of him, Ragone has bided his time as a third-stringer, receiving few practice reps with the starters and seeing most of his time on the scout team. Other than two starts his rookie year, when David Carr and Tony Banks were injured, Ragone has been holding the clipboard on game day.

As hard as he worked on the practice field, Ragone yearned for some live game reps. His opportunity arrived near the end of last season when the Texans allocated him to NFL Europe. After consulting with offensive coordinator Chris Palmer and quarterbacks coach Greg Roman, Ragone decided it was a good opportunity to further his career.

“Especially at the quarterback position, the only way you really get better is by going out there and playing,” said Ragone, the starting quarterback for the Berlin Thunder. “Coach Palmer and coach Roman and I sat down and talked about it. We all agreed it was probably the best thing for me. When I told them that I would do it, I agreed to go and give it 100 percent.”

Although he was excited to get back behind center, Ragone felt a certain amount of trepidation as well. When you don’t see the field for so long, a certain amount of doubt can creep in.

“It’s tough when you don’t get a chance to play because you don’t know if you’re progressing,” Ragone said. “You just don’t know how your game is going to be because it’s been two years since the last time you got hit. It’s one of those things where you try to work on fundamentals, you try to work on the mental part of the game when you’re not playing so when you get a chance to play you can use it to your benefit.”

It turns out that playing quarterback is like riding a bike, at least for Ragone. He began the season against the Frankfurt Galaxy in a duel with quarterback Akili Smith, the Cincinnati Bengals’ third overall pick in the 1999 NFL Draft. Ragone passed for 179 yards, completing 69.5 percent of his throws with one touchdown and no interceptions in a resounding 30-7 win. He followed that performance against the Hamburg Sea Devils, passing for 168 yards with one touchdown and his first interception in a 15-13 win.

Ragone, who says the talent level in NFL Europe is better than Division I college football, currently leads the league in touchdown passes (6) and is second in the league in completion percentage (61.9) and passer rating (91.8). His two interceptions are tied for the lowest with three other starters. Additionally, the Thunder, who are tied with two other teams atop the standings with a 3-1 record, have the league’s second-best scoring offense, averaging 25.5 points per game.

“It’s awesome,” Ragone said of his experience so far. “It’s a chance to go out there and play. On game days you actually get a chance to do what you do. It’s a whole new feeling. It’s like being in college again where you’re the guy and I’m just grateful for the opportunity to come and play.”

His numbers are proof of his production, but what’s not evident on paper is the confidence Ragone has gained. There’s a tendency for players that have long layoffs to over-analyze situations. Ragone, however, is playing on instinct.

“I think my overall confidence grows with each one of my throws,” he said. “I feel more comfortable making different throws on the field and getting my feet set. Even if my feet aren’t set, I’m moving around the pocket and trying to make a throw while keeping my eye down the field.”

Oddly, one of the things Ragone missed most about not playing was what other players often dread. After two seasons of wearing the red jersey in practice, Ragone looked forward to some contact in NFL Europe.

“You don’t really know how that’s going to be until you play because in practice they blow the whistle when anyone gets close to the quarterback,” he said. “The coaches kind of take that away from you. When you’re out in a game, there’s no one there to protect you.”

It may seem difficult to learn a new offense with new teammates and be successful, but Ragone has made an easy transition with the Thunder, partly because of his background with the Texans. In fact, many of the play-action sets and running plays are the same between the two teams.

The biggest difference, said Ragone, has been increasing his pace in the huddle. In the NFL, the play clock is 45 seconds. In NFL Europe, it’s only 35 seconds.

“We do a good job in practice going up-tempo, just to get used to the fact that there’s not going to be that much time on the clock,” he said. “I think I’ve called time out once, and I’ve had one delay of game. Obviously, you have to speed your game up, but it does take a little time to get used to.”

Off the field, playing in NFL Europe can take its toll on players. For example, the comfort of traveling on a charter jet is replaced by waiting for trains with the general public. Delays are common, and the conditions aren’t ideal. It’s been a learning experience for Ragone, who says he has become more flexible.

“You come with an open mind, but you’re so used to your American culture,” he said. “Stores in Berlin close at 8 p.m., and on Sundays nothing is open. That’s something to get used to. You don’t have a car for a couple of months. So you’re traveling by bus and train. A lot of guys are used to having their car.”

Overall, Ragone is pleased to be playing in NFL Europe. His initial doubts have subsided and with six games remaining in the regular season, he has his team in position to make its fourth trip to the World Bowl in the past five seasons. Also, at his current pace, Ragone should be in the running for multiple postseason honors, something that he’s used to from his college-playing days.

“When you put a football team together in a few months, you don’t know what you’re getting,” Ragone said. “But I just came over here to get better, to be a leader and try to win football games. But more important, I want to come out and have fun with it.”

Mr Shush
04-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Interestingly, QB and OL are two of the three positions where it has proven possible for players to transition from minor leagues to the NFL successfully (the third being WR). Here's hoping Brandon Evans gets a fair shot at starting when the time comes around - how much worse than our current interior O-line could he really be?

And who knows, maybe if Carr (heaven forbid) goes down in pre-season, Ragone will prove to be the second coming of Warner. No, I guess probably not. Although with our pass-blocking he might have a shot at old Kurt's all-time single-season concussion record.

Wolf
04-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Houston Texans quarterback Dave Ragone completed 14 of 23 passes for 178 yards and toucddown, while Admirals quarterback Kurt Kittner, allocated by the Chicago Bears, hit on 21 of 40 passes for 283 yards and a touchdown but, crucially, three interceptions.

Dave Ragone had thrown a touchdown pass to tight end John Frieser for the go-ahead score earlier in the second half and the Berlin Thunder defense had done enough to keep them ahead, limiting the Admirals to field goals and grabbing key interceptions.

Dave is still playing solid :thumbup

http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8432663

keyfro
04-30-2005, 03:46 PM
i think his performance in the NFLE has solidfied him as our number 2 QB...i remember casserly saying if he had a good run in europe he would be moved up in the depth chart

edo783
05-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Rags keeps playing like this TB will be looking for a spot next year as Dave will be the #2. Looks like CC made another good pick that will payoff.

aj.
05-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Before everyone gets too excited just remember that in terms of NFLE success, for every Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme, and Brad Johnson, there's probably just as many or more Danny Wuerffel's.

chuckm
05-02-2005, 01:22 PM
The worry I have is that even if he's the second coming of Montana, Brady , (name your underdog QB), .... he may never get enough quality playing time in the NFL to make him worth trading or using ....

ccdude730
05-03-2005, 08:39 PM
May 3, 2005
NFL Europe

Throughout the 2005 NFL Europe season, NFLEurope.com invites you to take a look inside the world of a player from one of the six NFLEL teams with our Ask the Pros feature. You can send in questions to a player, and they will reply on NFLEurope.com the following week.

This week Berlin Thunder quarterback Dave Ragone will take your questions. The Houston Texans allocated passer has steered the Thunder to a league-leading 4-1 record, and has them on track to make it to their fourth World Bowl in five seasons. Ragone’s passer rating of 93.2 ranks second in the league, and he has completed 79 of 128 passes for 858 yards, with seven touchdowns this season.

Ragone started two games for the Texans late in his rookie season of 2003 after being a third-round draft pick out of Louisville. The strong-armed southpaw was one of the nations’ most prolific passers over his three years as a starter with the Cardinals, and was an All Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year each season.

Send in a question today for Ragone and he will come back with a reply early next week.

In order to have your questions answered by Dave Ragone, send your message to enquiries@nflp.co.uk, and be sure to include your full name, city and state. Those entries that do not include full name, city and state cannot be considered by NFLEurope.com.

Link (http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8440478)

ive always doubted if these emails actually get to the player....

Vinny
05-04-2005, 01:44 PM
KURT WARNER AWARD

Dave Ragone is neck-and-neck with Hamburg's Casey Bramlett as the league's top quarterback. He's thrown seven touchdowns, exactly the same number Bramlett and his second-quarter sub Ryan Dinwiddie have combined for. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8440538

Wolf
05-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Berlin is used to hard fought games. Three of the Thunder’s four victories have been settled only in the last two minutes of the ballgame, and last week’s game against Amsterdam wasn’t decided until a last second interception that was returned for a touchdown by Jermaine Mays.

“Hopefully last weeks win will continue to give us the motivation to go out there and play very well against Cologne,” quarterback Dave Ragone said. “Cologne’s defense is the top ranked defense in the League, and they have been very successful so far in holding back offensive teams. I think it’s going to be a great game.”

http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/BER/8449095

http://images.nfl.com/photos/img8449094.jpg

CoachJim
05-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Are we ever gonna get a Berlin game here? I have satellite (DirecTV) but have never caught a game yet. DTVs program guide is pretty vague as to which game will actually be on.

Wolf
05-08-2005, 12:52 PM
http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8454987
Berlin finally got onto the scoreboard with a trick play on their first possession of the second period. Bret Engemann had replaced Ragone at quarterback, but the Oakland Raiders quarterback was not the man to throw the touchdown, pitching the ball out to receiver Aaron Boone on the reverse who found Michael Jennings deep down field for a 51-yard touchdown pass.

The Thunder managed to tie the score with a field goal on the first drive of the second half. With Ragone back behind center, they moved from their 30 to Cologne’s 22 as the Houston Texans quarterback hit Michael Jennings on consecutive passes, the second a 22-yard pickup. Cal Murray’s 6-yard run gave Berlin a first down at the 11, but Boone was unable to hold onto the ball on a crossing pattern that would have got him into the endzone, and instead Berlin had to settle for a 22-yard Miller kick.

Chris Lewis was unable to inspire the Centurions to any offensive heights as Cologne went three and out, they key play a sack by defensive end Isaac Hilton that lost four yards for Cologne. On the first play after Steve Baker’s punt, Ragone hit Jennings on a quick slant that the speedy New York Giants receiver turned into a 70-yard score, outrunning the entire Cologne defense to hand the Thunder their first lead of the game at 17-10.

Berlin’s half-time defensive adjustments continued to pay off as national defensive end Christian Mohr came up with a tackle nine yards behind the line of scrimmage on the first play of Cologne’s next drive, bringing Baker back onto the field. The Thunder went on a clock controlling drive, wiping seven minutes off but ultimately coming away without a score after Cologne cornerback Jamaine Winborne sacked Ragone on third down.

After both teams punted the Thunder took over at their 25 with 1:50 remaining. Ragone hit Boone for a 31-yard gain to get to the Cologne 40, but Terrance Stubbs spilled an opportunity to get inside the 20, and another incompletion on fourth down secured the win for the Centurions.

Ragone was 13 of 23 for 192 yards and 1 td O Ints for a qb rating of 98.5

sacked 2/29 yards and rushed 5 times for 21 yards
http://www.nfleurope.com/scores/stats/2005/05082005_ber_col_stats

with that said Ragone has been solid over there.

Wolf
05-08-2005, 12:58 PM
for the season ..

Ragone 79 of 128for 858 yards at 61.7% completion 7td's and 3 Ints..sacked 7times for 51 yards and a qb rating of 93.2

I am not sure if that is up to date with todays game.
http://www.nfleurope.com/stats/leaders

ragone has 14 rushes for 52 yards. 3.9 a run and 1 TD

http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/stats/BER

MojoMan
05-08-2005, 03:07 PM
That is not updated for today's game. After last week's game, Ragone had been ranked #2 in the league in passer rating, just behind Casey Bramlet of Hamburg (Cincinnati Bengals). However, Bramlet did not have a good week this week, so Ragone should take over the #1 spot when the ratings are recalculated withing the next few days. I don't know how to calculate the ratings, or I would probably do it.

ccdude730
05-09-2005, 01:18 AM
i actually have a program to calculate the ratings - pretty neat, PM me if you want me to send it to you.

but including this weeks game ragone should take over at #1 with a QB rating of 94. bramlet (CIN) should drop to #2 with a rating of 89.

Wolf
05-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Berlin Thunder quarterback Dave Ragone suffered only his second loss of the season on Sunday, but took time off afterwards to respond to some of the questions he was sent by fans last week. The Houston allocated quarterback, who has started two games for the Texans in the NFL, has compiled a 4-2 record as a starter in Berlin.

Ragone has completed 92 of 151 passes for 1,050 yards, with eight touchdowns and two interceptions this year. Among the questions Ragone answered were about the difference between NFL Europe and the NFL, his relationship with offensive coordinator Steve Logan and his likeness in Madden 2005.

Has Chris Redman been able to give you any advice on playing the waiting game while waiting for your shot to prove you are a legit NFL quarterback? And do you feel you are still a part of the Texans plan for the future?
Andrew Sexton, Austin, Texas

"Chris has been very influential in my development. We have known each other for a long time, and I know that he is someone that I can always go to for advice both on and off of the field. I really think that I can learn from his experiences and help that make me a better quarterback. Certainly I love being a part of the Houston Texans' franchise. It's a top-notch organization and I'm honored to be out here representing them."

Do you find that reading defenses in NFL Europe any easier to read than a defense in the NFL, given your experience with both.
Sean Pantellere, Allendale, New Jersey

"It's a bit more basic because of the rules here. But we are also limited offensively so it's even."

What is the biggest difference between the NFL and NFLE? With such a short season in Europe what do they do from a playbook standpoint? Is it a whole new playbook that you have to learn or do they have a simplified system? If it is a new system how does everyone deal with learning it in such a short time?
Jim Dudley, Bedford, Virginia

"That's a good question. In NFL Europe, we put a base package of plays in during training camp in Tampa, and then maybe we put in about 5 or 10 new plays a week. In the NFL we may put in 30 or so plays a week. With so many players coming from different teams, obviously some guys may be more accustomed to this style of offense than others. What I like about being here is that I believe that we run the most complex and interesting offense of any NFL Europe team. We may have a little less time to grasp all of it because it's just a 10-week season, but if we can perfect the offense than I believe we can do really, really well."

With the experience you are gaining in Europe, does it give you a new level of confidence going into the summer back in Houston?
Wes Parrish, Bardstown, KY

"Sure. I played two games for the Texans so this is the first time since college that I have really been able to play a considerable amount of time. I think this League has been really good for me in terms of seeing my ability to play at this level."

I know you are the son of Italian immigrants - how did your parents feel about you going back Europe to play football?
Paul Facchiano, Port Jefferson, NY

"My parents are definitely excited that I am closer to their homeland. My wife is also from Estonia, so she has been able to go back and see relatives which has been great. As far as my parents, I have to let them know that the pasta is better here in Europe!"

What do you miss most about the States?
Anna Lucas, Brecksville, Ohio

"Great question, Anna. I guess the thing I miss most about the States is my sister, Anna Lucas, from Brecksville, Ohio."

While at college you faced off against your current offensive coordinator, Steve Logan, then headcoach of ECU. Steve Logan has had much success in developing quarterbacks, such as Jeff Blake, David Garrard and just recently with World Bowl winner Rohan Davey. Considering your shared history and current placement together at Berlin how is the working-relationship and how will this entire experience impact you pro career?
Sammie Walden, Greenville, NC

"I feel real lucky to have his as a coach. Coach Logan is a one-of-a-kind type of guy. He's really great both on the field and off the field, and he's been around a long time -- and he understands the position so well - that you just can't not have a ton of respect for him."

In your experience in college, the NFL, and the NFL Europe...what are the major differences in those three leagues and which one do you prefer?
P Stew, Lanham, MD

"All three have their own positives. The NFL is certainly a premier League, but I've only played two games in the NFL, so I'm still trying to stay patient and do my best. NFL Europe has been a great experience for me because it has given me the ability to go out there everyday and play. Off the field, NFL Europe is a lot like college in that you are with your teammates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In the NFL you may be with your team all day, but you go home at night. Here, I find myself eating breakfast, lunch and dinner with my teammates all of the time. It's a unique experience."

Do you play video games? Is it cool to see yourself on a video game?
Erik Majorwitz, Giessen, Germany

"Honestly, I don't play that many video games, but I'd be lying if I told you that it wasn't cool to see myself on the game. And just like everyone else, I have to say speed on Madden 2005 should be a bit higher - and my awareness should be a little higher too! I'm just joking about that, but thanks to everyone for asking me these questions, and keep rooting for the Thunder."

http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8457507

Wolf
05-09-2005, 09:58 PM
the answer he gave about madden was pretty funny
*edit*
sorry guys, I meant to bold the questions for easier reading and messed that up

Wolf
05-14-2005, 12:24 PM
in 2nd quarter... Ragone 9-15 104 yards and a td

Wolf
05-14-2005, 01:27 PM
so far 13-26 138 yards and a td

Does anyone know what kind of offense Berlin is playing?

is it a west coast type? or mainly ball control? verticle game?

Wolf
05-14-2005, 01:28 PM
oh, I realize this is NFLE and not THE NFL, but Ragone seems to do a good job taking care of the ball..

Ragone also rushed 6 for 40

Wolf
05-14-2005, 02:04 PM
I was tying to look up what style of offense they run, but haven't seen anything yet.

Ragone had another solid day complete 50 percent of passes for about 10 yards a clip a TD and no Ints... rushed 6 for 40 yards.

besides that.. are they running a west coast or power running game or what?

Is it an offense that is supposed to be similar to what the Texans want to run?

Txn_in_Oki
05-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Run and Shoot

:rolleyes:

MojoMan
05-14-2005, 05:28 PM
You will have a chance to see for yourself next Sunday, May 22 at 9:00 AM. They will be playing on FOX.

The link below is to the NFL Europe TV schedule for the US:

http://www.nfleurope.com/multimedia/schedules/tv

They will be on again on Sunday, June 5 at 9:00 AM, also on Fox.

edo783
05-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Ragone wasn't exactly chopped liver in college, so given that, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that he is doing well in NFLE. I am pretty sure it isn't a WCO (to much read & react to get it right in the short time they have), but it is a dink and dunk that looks to me somewhat like the Pats. game. I hope he starts to get REALLY hot and wins the World Bowl with a SPECTACULAR game. I think we then start getting some folks sniffing around for a QB and CC could work a deal.

jacquescas
05-14-2005, 06:27 PM
I am happy because this gives me a little more ease when i see Carr get sacked. He will be a very nice backup this year, and if he sees any game time and does well could be possibly had for a middle round 3-6 selection.

rittenhouserobz
05-15-2005, 08:21 AM
If all we get is a round 3-6 then keep him. We got him in the 3rd and have invested a great deal of time developing him into an NFL QB. That in itself warrants a 2nd round pick if he succeeds in NFLE and shows promise in the NFL playing time he gets. All we have done is add value to a QB to give him away for the same or less?

Wolf
05-15-2005, 04:56 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1685

ATX
05-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Why don't we just hold on to ragone instead of possibly trading him? i just don't see us keeping banks for much longer and that leaves us with symons and ragone. i just don't see why everyone expects ragone to be trade bait, maybe he was drafted as the future backup. when you compare the prices of banks and ragone, there's a big difference in price and as long as ragone doesn't start too much, he'll never make the money of tony banks, who had started elsewhere.

edo783
05-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Why don't we just hold on to ragone instead of possibly trading him? .

At some point he will want to have the chance to be a starter somewhere and he will be too valuable to keep. So, you trade him and start again on the backup thing. Hopefully, you have a kind of a pipeline thing of good young tallent moving through your system that you can draw on if needed and then trade as they gain value. Greenbay is a real good example of this with what they did for a few years.

rockabilly
05-21-2005, 04:08 PM
I am looking forward to seeing Ragone in action on Fox tomorrow. However I am concerned about what time the game starts. NFLEUROPE.COM says 10 ETD, but Yahoo tv listings says 12. Anyone know the exact time for us central timers?

Vinny
05-21-2005, 05:05 PM
http://tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?d=tvp&id=169373692&cf=0&lineup=us_TX62678&channels=us_KRIV&chspid=166030713&chname=FOX+9&progutn=1116781200&.intl=us

MojoMan
05-21-2005, 06:45 PM
The time on the NFL Eurpope is still showing as 9:00 AM CDT.

http://www.nfleurope.com/multimedia/schedules/tv

Mr Shush
05-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Sounds like he had quite a game.

JustBonee
05-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Even though it's NFL Europe, the good games that he has been having ..racking up the numbers ... he's not going to be happy to just come back to the Texans and sit on the bench. He'll want playing time, somewhere.

Stefunny~Bunny
05-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Link (http://oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3166670)

Ragone continues to make a name for himself!

Quarterback DAVE RAGONE (Houston Texans) was named Offensive Player of Week 8 after he connected on 22 of 31 passes for 258 yards, 3 touchdowns and no interceptions to defeat the Sea Devils.

JustBonee
05-24-2005, 06:34 PM
He's good! His confidence level must be sky-high about now.

Vinny
05-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Nice compliment from the coach... Thunder head coach RICK LANTZ said: “Dave has been doing a great job for us all season. He’s tough, and quarterbacks have to be tough, but Dave is really tough. He may be the toughest guy on the team. He makes excellent decisions in the passing game and his statistics show he is intelligent and doesn’t take any risks with the football.”

U4ikrob
05-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Even though it's NFL Europe, the good games that he has been having ..racking up the numbers ... he's not going to be happy to just come back to the Texans and sit on the bench. He'll want playing time, somewhere.

Agreed Sassy - Thats what I said before the start of the season. That if he did well over there he would want some reps and would earn himself a good enough name we might be able to trade him to a Team where he is needed for someone decent we can use here. His salary certainly wont be a problem and his stats speak for themselves. You know there will be at least a few inital inquiry calls from teams. I'm willing to bet more than afew if they win the bowl. WIll be interesing to see for sure. I think it will be very nice if Charley can spin him into a good player or good picks for next year and get him to a team he can get some playtime on and a chance to start.

U4ikrob
05-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Here's a link with more on ragone from NFL.com. Obviously some others are thinking similar thoughts about his QB abilities and earning starter minutes somewhere. Of course it's probably just PR from the team, but it's nice stuff to hear. I hope he does well and they go on to win a bowl and we can trade him to a team for a good player or picks next year.

http://www.nfleurope.com/teams/story/BER/8497905

Vinny
05-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Ragone, like the Berlin team, seems to be peaking at the right time. Though some scouts liked him from the first, Jim Criner advised watching him in training camp, because "he's the only guy out there who's moving the chains every time he plays."

As usual, Gentleman Jim was right. Ragone's consistency has been one of the keys for the Thunder. The lefty has been picked off only twice, and his current total of 131 passes without a pick is only 56 behind the league record, which Ron Powlus set playing for Amsterdam in 2000.

On the face of it, Ragone couldn't be more different than Davey, but Berlin coach Rick Lantz says what's important are the similarities.

"Dave's not quite as explosive, but he has a strong arm, and can make the deep throws," Lantz said, "but both guys have an innate mental and physical toughness. They've got pocket sense and mobility, they're hard to sack, and they'll take a hit. But I had to yell at both of them to slide -- they always want to be making positive yardage."

That was evident last week -- in fact, Houston Texans coach Dom Capers was being interviewed on television just as Ragone took a fearsome hit rather than slide. Losing your quarterback is never part of the plan, and Capers' memory might have flashed back to Ragone's debut games as a rookie in 2003.

Ragone, a third-round pick, started two games for a team whose leading statistical marker was sacks allowed. In one of his two starts he was actually Houston's leading rusher, basically running for his life.

But now Texans pro personnel director Chuck Banker says he's happy with the success Ragone has had. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8506630

jacquescas
05-27-2005, 05:27 PM
lets hope he can come back with some nice jewlery to show off to his teammates.

swisstexan
05-28-2005, 12:03 PM
we will see today, i think ragone will be nfl europe mvp

Wolf
05-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Ragone had another good day.. no turnovers and got some rushing yards

http://www.nfleurope.com/scores/stats/2005/05282005_ber_fra_stats

on a side note. BJ symmons got to play some.
3 or 6 22 yards sacked once no TD's and No Int's ...50 Qb rating.

BradK10
05-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Oh no, that article indirectly compares him though stats to Ron Powlus, the man Beano Cook said would win THREE Heismans at Notra Dame

DefLord
06-01-2005, 12:16 PM
http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8523647

Nice write up on Ragone

Berlin Thunder quarterback Dave Ragone wrote his name in the NFLEL record books with his performance on Saturday, throwing 36 passes without an interception during his team’s Week 9 victory over the Frankfurt Galaxy, to put together a streak of 167 passes in a row without being picked off.

World Bowl bound Berlin quarterback Ragone’s record number of consecutive passes without being intercepted has surpassed the previous record of 156 set by Ron Powlus, of the Amsterdam Admirals, in 2000.

"It's nice to have that record. If you have watched some of our games you'd know that our receivers have made some really nice catches, and I've been fortunate not to have some tips picked off.”

Houston Texans allocated passer Ragone has thrown just 2 interceptions in 245 pass attempts this season and his interception percentage of 0.8 has him on pace to smash the league record of 1.1 set by Mike Quinn, of the Rhein Fire, in 1998.

During the streak Ragone has even completed a pass to himself, but the important thing is that no opposing defender has got his hands on the ball. Ragone’s care with the ball has helped Berlin record a league low 10 turnovers this season and to a +11 turnover ratio, tied with Amsterdam for the league lead.

“I got a little lucky there when I completed that pass to myself, and I think luck certainly plays a little bit into a record like this,” he said.

Ragone, who has posted a 97.6 passer rating this season also leads NFL Europe passers in almost every other important statistical category. His 245 attempts and 145 completions for a 62.9% completion percentage are all league highs, as is the 1,698 yards he has thrown for. His 13 touchdown passes give him a one score lead over Rhein’s Scott McBrien going into the final week of the regular season.

“All in all, my goal is to come over here and get better as a quarterback, and I think that I'm doing that every day,” says Ragone. “I think that we have some very good offensive coaches that create opportunities for me to make these passes, and the team is able to execute the plays.”

Ragone started two games for the Texans in his rookie campaign of 2003, after Houston made him a third-round pick in the draft that season. The Louisville Cardinal was a three-time All Conference USA offensive player of the year in a prolific college career.

DefLord
06-01-2005, 12:17 PM
I think Ragone is going to develop into a NICE backup quarterback for us, and if - if anything were to happen to Carr - we will have a good solid QB right there. I think this will be Banks last year as our back-up and hopefully Ragone can earn his way up to backup Carr.

tsip
06-01-2005, 07:02 PM
“I think that we have some very good offensive coaches that create opportunities for me to make these passes, and the team is able to execute the plays.”

...kinda says it all, doesn't it? :thumbup

JustBonee
06-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Anyone else hear Dave Ragone on 610 today?
He sounds like he is ready to come back to Houston and go into training camp and show his stuff.
Good Luck to him in the World Bowl.

MojoMan
06-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Colgne Centurions at Berlin Thunder
Sunday, June 5, 2005
12 Noon on Fox

http://tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?d=tvp&id=169392396&cf=0&lineup=us_TX62678d&channels=us_KRIV&chspid=166030713&chname=FOX+9&progutn=1117990800&.intl=us

uhcougar08
06-03-2005, 02:37 PM
He sounded like a leader now, who will give Banks a run for his money for #2.

ATX
06-04-2005, 03:46 PM
yeah, i see ragone as our future #2. should be interesting to see if ragone beats out tony for the #2 this year or not. i still say banks is gone after this season. too old and too expensive. as for a #3 QB, there's always one out there, not the biggest thing to worry about, but us having a young, talented #1 and #2 will be great for years to come.

Davis37
06-04-2005, 04:01 PM
I cant wait for preseason to start to see what Ragone can do against the big boys over here. Same thing for that OG Bubba Evans. That guy is a monster.

Davis37
06-04-2005, 11:29 PM
He either is going to make a really good #2 qb, or he is going to want to get traded for the posibility of a starter postion. If he does want to get traded, hopefully we can get some good draft picks out of him.

Hottoddie
06-05-2005, 12:03 AM
The Texans might be forced to trade Ragone, & the timing couldn't be any better. According to this article in the Chronicle, Ragone has always wanted to be a starter & his success in Europe should only make that desire burn hotter. Since we drafted him with a 3rd round pick, it would stand to reason that we should be able to get a 2nd round pick at the very least, & if he does well in the Championship game, possibly a late 1st round pick(?).

I know that everyone is counting on Ragone replacing Banks as our backup, but in my opinion, he'll be traded. His desire to be a starter, his success in the NFLE, & next year's OT/DT depth in the draft should be enough to cause CC to accept one of the offers he'll most likely receive. Next year will be a good year to have 2 #1 picks, or at least enough picks to package for a move up into the 1st round.

In my opinion, an NFL backup will almost always be an experienced veteran that doesn't quite have what it takes to be a full time starter. If he did, he'd leave through free agency.

Ragone will be a restricted FA after next season & an unrestricted FA after that. If we don't trade him while he's hot, we could eventually lose him for nothing. Besides, we've got BJ to start grooming next.

I found this part of the article interesting/alarming.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3210896

Imagine Ragone's frustration when the talent level around him dwindled as a senior, and he dropped to the third round, only to be drafted by a team that had picked a quarterback with the first overall pick the previous year.

Before Ragone ever got to Reliant Park, word was he wanted no part of playing behind a franchise quarterback and would prefer to be elsewhere.

You never would have known it by how he conducted himself — first-class in every way.

Ragone still wants a shot to be the No. 1 quarterback for an NFL team, but he's too much of a team-first player to make a lot of noise about it. He won't have to; his NFL Europe play speaks volumes to teams that are being reminded why they thought so highly of him after his junior season in college.

At some point, Texans general manager Charley Casserly will get a call from another GM hoping to uncover the next Warner, Johnson or Delhomme. Or teams could just wait. Ragone will be a restricted free agent after this season and an unrestricted free agent after 2006.

nunusguy
06-05-2005, 10:07 AM
While I'm glad that Ragone is having a good year in Europe and getting some
recognition which will help his career and boost his chances of playing for someone, if we trade him and don't get more than a second round pick for him, I don't think it would even be breakeven transaction for us. In other words, a 2006 2nd rounder in exchange for a 2003 3rd round would not be a good deal for the Texans when you consider the origional pick has done nothing to add value to the Texans team. Better for us to have used that pick in '03 on someone we would have hoped would play like Wand or Peek, instead of going with Cass's dubious strategy about you can never have too many QBs. Now if we woudl somehow get a first round pick, but of course that's highly unlikely.

CoachJim
06-05-2005, 12:11 PM
The Thunder are on right now on Fox 26 here in Houston.

ghostlight
06-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Why isn't Ragone playing in this game?

ATX
06-05-2005, 01:50 PM
ragone is too good to play the last game of the season. they have the world bowl next sunday, so they're keeping him on the sideline.

ghostlight
06-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Thats what I figured.

ATX
06-05-2005, 02:06 PM
yeah, i turned it on hoping to see ragone play. then i see him standing on the sidelines with the clipboard. guess he's getting ready to be back with the texans.

vtech9
06-05-2005, 02:53 PM
yeah, i turned it on hoping to see ragone play. then i see him standing on the sidelines with the clipboard. guess he's getting ready to be back with the texans.
Ragone started the game and played most of the 1st quarter. He was only scheduled to play a couple series, but he stayed in longer.

THEFUTURE
06-05-2005, 03:41 PM
he only played three series

ATX
06-05-2005, 11:31 PM
yeah, thats what i heard after i tuned in in the second half. the world bowl should be a good game to watch. just to see what dave's made of.

U4ikrob
06-06-2005, 08:25 AM
While I'm glad that Ragone is having a good year in Europe and getting some
recognition which will help his career and boost his chances of playing for someone, if we trade him and don't get more than a second round pick for him, I don't think it would even be breakeven transaction for us. In other words, a 2006 2nd rounder in exchange for a 2003 3rd round would not be a good deal for the Texans when you consider the origional pick has done nothing to add value to the Texans team. Better for us to have used that pick in '03 on someone we would have hoped would play like Wand or Peek, instead of going with Cass's dubious strategy about you can never have too many QBs. Now if we woudl somehow get a first round pick, but of course that's highly unlikely.

Why is it unlikely we would get a 1st rounder for Ragone? - Ive said all along that if Ragone were able to go to play in Europe and establish some experience he would show he could be a starter in this league and would be good trade bait if he did well.

Now that it's happened - Ragone has put on a show for the league front offices for us along with putting together an MVP and World Bowl performance. To me thats great audition time for a lot of teams who will play this year with some ??? at QB. I know some GM's and Coaches watch those games too and when a guy lights things up like Ragone has this season in Europe - Trust me they will notice too. IMO if Ragone wins the MVP and the World bowl, he will have shown he could and should be competing for a starters spot on somebodies squad and IMO could easily turn into a first rounder or good trade for the Texans in the future. I honestly would hate to see Ragone come back to the Texans and get relegated to the bench again asa back-up. He's a good guy and I think he has shown alot of people in the league and in Europe the skills he has and that he wants to compete at the top tier.

MY Prediction : Ragone wins MVP and Berlin wins World bowl. Get's the phone ringing in Charlies office about trade ideas for a great tight end or next year's draft choices. Could be a good mid-season trade for a team that looses it's starting QB or at the beginning of the Off-season to a team that is looking for a starting QB to build with who has experience for a decent price.

edo783
06-06-2005, 08:55 AM
If a team were in need of a QB, what would make more sense. Draft a college QB and hope he does well at the next level, or take someone like Rags who has shown that they can do well in the next level up from college (NFLE) and has NFL training camp experience? I would think they would/should be more comfortable using a first round pick on Dave than some kid fresh out of college.

nunusguy
06-06-2005, 09:28 AM
MY Prediction : Ragone wins MVP and Berlin wins World bowl. Get's the phone ringing in Charlies office about trade ideas for a great tight end or next year's draft choices. Could be a good mid-season trade for a team that looses it's starting QB or at the beginning of the Off-season to a team that is looking for a starting QB to build with who has experience for a decent price.
I can only hope that you're prediction comes true, because as well as he's
playing he stands very little chance of making a contribution to our team as
long as DC remains healthy. I'm very sketical about us getting a first round
pick for DR, but will be delighted to admit I was mistaken about that if I am.

Mr Shush
06-06-2005, 09:40 AM
My prediction: Ragone to the Ravens after Boller costs them the shot at a Superbowl they otherwise really ought to have this year.

TEXANS84
06-06-2005, 04:46 PM
-- Ragone Excelling in Europe --
Sun Jun 5, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The Houston Chronicle reports Texans QB Dave Ragone, 25, is the highest-rated passer in NFL Europe with a rating of 97.1, 15 points higher than the closest competitor. He also leads the league in passing yards (1,698), touchdown passes (13) and completion percentage (62.9). Ragone has thrown just two interceptions in a league-high 178 pass attempts and has a streak of 131 passes without a pick. Ragone needs to extend his streak by 25 passes to tie QB Ron Powlus' five-year-old league record. Ragone will get his chance June 11 in the World Bowl, where his Berlin Thunder will play for the league championship.

vtech9
06-07-2005, 08:31 PM
My prediction: Ragone to the Ravens after Boller costs them the shot at a Superbowl they otherwise really ought to have this year.
I can see him going somewhere like Miami or Cleveland that doesn't have a very good starter at QB, or maybe even a team like Tennessee, Arizona, Kansas City, or even Oakland that have older guys and might need a good starter in a year or two. Of course there is also a chance of him going to compete for the starting job with a team like Detroit that has a young guy that isn't living up to the hype.

William.carter
06-08-2005, 08:43 AM
We obviously need a good backup considering our potential weekness at left tackle DC could spend some time on the sidelines this year. Besides... We could ship Banks off and keep Ragone. Look at David Garard at Jacksonville. He is an excellent backup... I have to look at the number on his jersy to know that it's him inthe game and not leftwich. I say... keep Ragone and ditch Banks.

rittenhouserobz
06-08-2005, 09:05 AM
When Ragone hits FA he will be gone. He does not plan to stay a 2nd string player for the duration of his career. If the Texans don't trade him, then they will have developed a QB and got nothing in return other than a 3rd string QB for a few years. If Ragone lights up the opposition in the World Bowl and does well in preseason, then there is a chance he is traded early int he season. Personally, I would not mind trading him to GB for Bubba Franks, but they picked Alex Smith. Can anybody think of a feasible trade for a TE/LT that is worth trading away Ragone?

dalemurphy
06-08-2005, 10:14 AM
When Ragone hits FA he will be gone. He does not plan to stay a 2nd string player for the duration of his career. If the Texans don't trade him, then they will have developed a QB and got nothing in return other than a 3rd string QB for a few years. If Ragone lights up the opposition in the World Bowl and does well in preseason, then there is a chance he is traded early int he season. Personally, I would not mind trading him to GB for Bubba Franks, but they picked Alex Smith. Can anybody think of a feasible trade for a TE/LT that is worth trading away Ragone?

We should certainly keep him this year. He could be valuable for us. Also, if he does get playing time and does well then his stock goes up. He'll be a RFA after this season. Surely the way things look we can offer him at least a moderate tender, maybe even the top tender. Then we'll either keep him or receive a good pick in return.

rittenhouserobz
06-08-2005, 11:11 AM
I will pose a couple scenarios.

1. Ragone starts a couple games this year and plays well. The Texans offer him the top tender and trade him for a 2nd or 1st.
2. Ragone starts a couple games and plays poorly or gets hurt. The Texans offer him the mid or low tender. The Texans get less than they hoped.
(Risk and return are both greater)
3. The Texans trade Ragone for a pick or a player before the season starts.
(They reduce the risk with a tradeoff for value by either getting an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick or equivalent player to fill a spot)

I would be satisified with a 2nd if it were offered right away, but if all we could get is a 3rd before the season, then I would wait and see. Of course, CC is liable to surprise us all.

infantrycak
06-08-2005, 11:26 AM
1. Ragone starts a couple games this year and plays well. The Texans offer him the top tender and trade him for a 2nd or 1st.

A mid tender carries 1st round compensation so if you are only hoping at most to get a 1st for him there is no point in offering more than a mid tender.

ojthecat
06-08-2005, 12:29 PM
You don't trade him. You keep him that is what he is here for. You don't trade until you have someone who is at least as good to take his place. That is what you do with backup QB's. You might trade Banks or even cut Banks but you keep Ragone until you have someone who is better and younger. JMHO

infantrycak
06-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Ragone got the Offensive MVP award for NFLE.

Link (http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/8548108)

Fellow Texan DE Greg White made the All-NFL Europe League Team.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
06-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Just wondering, do you think David Carr should be scrared of Dave Ragone?

Blake
06-09-2005, 01:00 PM

Haha. Good question. But seriously, he has nothing to worry about. Carr is the face, and leader of the houston texans franchise. Seriously, he has nothing to worry about.

Joey on the other hand, might want to look over his shoulder from time to time for Garcia.

texasguy346
06-09-2005, 02:14 PM

David doesn't really have much to be worried about when it comes to Ragone. If he becomes a starter in the NFL it will likely be with another team whether it be via trade or free agency.

Mr Shush
06-09-2005, 02:27 PM
He will, and it will be via trade. Finding a quarterback who can start other than by developing your own is extremely difficult. When you can do so, it's an older FA from whom you can hope for a couple of seasons at best. When an exception comes up, which is what Ragone will be, it will be very hard for teams with a hole at the position to resist. I do not for the life of me understand why Garrard signed an extension in Jacksonville. The choice (for us) is simple one more year of good back-up play at QB, or a first-day pick (probably at least a high second). Which would you rather have?

tsip
06-09-2005, 05:27 PM
The Patriots had the same scenario with this QB out of Europe (MVP)
last year, but seem content on keeping him at NO 2--should be interesting
to see what each team does with their back up...

Mr Shush
06-10-2005, 10:04 AM
I think the difference is probably in the attitude of the players: Ragone really wants to start somewhere; Davies may be happier to sit. If Ragone wants out and someone's willing to give him a crack at starting (which I think they will) he'll be gone.

texan279
06-10-2005, 06:29 PM
LINK (http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/3677898)

DUESSELDORF, Germany (AP) - Dave Ragone is exactly the kind of player NFL teams want to see proving themselves in NFL Europe.

After being taken in the third round of the 2002 draft, the Louisville quarterback spent two years struggling behind David Carr on the Houston Texans' scout teams, where his passes were often intercepted.
Ragone has changed his image since the Texans allocated him to the Berlin Thunder. He threw just two interceptions in 251 pass attempts this season and his 97.5 passer rating was best in the league.

"I don't know where he got the rap he isn't accurate. He's just a very good quarterback and I say that as someone who coached that position in the NFL," said Amsterdam Admirals coach Bart Andrus.

Andrus, who used to be the QBs coach for the Tennessee Titans, will coach his team against Ragone and the Thunder in Saturday's World Bowl.

Ragone, voted the league's best offensive player, won't be the only one on the field Saturday with a shot of making an NFL roster next season. The league's graduates include Jake Delhomme, Kurt Warner, La'Roi Glover and Dante Hall although the percentage of NFL Europe players who have made it big in the NFL is relatively low.

Texans' general manager Charley Casserly pushed Ragone to Berlin coach Rick Lantz.

"Sure some things are different, but they get to see them in 10 games, they get to see them in pressure situations," Lantz said.

:highfive:

XxSweetDragonxX
06-11-2005, 08:58 AM
is there only 4 teams in NFL Europe or something ? I sure thought it was bigger than that !

Hey Greetings from Europe..!

Okay we got 6 Teams at the NFLE

- Hamburg Seadevils
- Berlin Thunder
- Amsterdam Admirals
- Rhein Fire
- Cologne Centurions
- Frankfurt Galaxy

And if ya wanna see some pic's from da Season at Cologne check ma Link...

http://www.cologne-centurions.net/fotos/albums.php

Chance_C
06-11-2005, 11:11 AM
The game is on right now!

ccdude730
06-11-2005, 11:42 AM
this is looking pretty ugly for dave. havent really got anything going and his guys are dropping some balls.

kittner might have the lead and made some plays right now but its looking like his receivers are the ones making the plays. he looks like the passes are bad decisions but his receiver gets it

TexanExile
06-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Go, Rags, go. Become awesome! Prove me--errrrr, I mean, the doubters--wrong about you!!!

By the way, lol@"Hamburg Sea Devils." Why not Hamburg Lars?

Just thought I'd call myself out on my quote from back in March. Yes, I was a doubter and a Ragone-basher. He did almost everything he could over there to prove me wrong and I congratulate him. He still has a lot to prove at the NFL level, but I no longer think he was a bust as a draft pick. Nice season, Other Dave. I'm very happy to have been wrong about that!

Final note: ominous, ominous post #5 by Grid in this thread. I burst out laughing when I read that one again just now.

BradK10
06-11-2005, 02:04 PM
god forbid he becomes the NFLE MVP. I can just see the "Bench Carr and put in Ragone!" threads now.

:slap:

swisstexan
06-11-2005, 02:49 PM
what a awesome worldbowl, nice comeback from berlin, ragone is a leader on the field. lets see in at camp how he will do with the big boys.

Vinny
06-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Just thought I'd call myself out on my quote from back in March. Yes, I was a doubter and a Ragone-basher. He did almost everything he could over there to prove me wrong and I congratulate him. He still has a lot to prove at the NFL level, but I no longer think he was a bust as a draft pick. I've never understood people who bash picks before they develop. Nobody expected Ragone to step in and set the world on fire but he was called a loser and a bust by many of you guys for years. Now you all want to ride his success (limited as it is). Seems like there is a lesson here somewhere.

beerlover
06-11-2005, 03:24 PM
I've never understood people who bash picks before they develop. Nobody expected Ragone to step in and set the world on fire but he was called a loser and a bust by many of you guys for years. Now you all want to ride his success (limited as it is). Seems like there is a lesson here somewhere.

I'd agree with you on that one :thumbup

my critque is not on Ragone but how he compliments Carr as his back-up. I just don't understand that a big lefty with counter clockwise spin on the ball is the right fit with a smaller, quicker righty with tight clockwise spin on the ball. as a receiver its very difficult to adjust to the spin. Ragone seems more like a pocket passer (reminds me of Rothelisberger) Carr moves outside the pocket more like Plummer.

Vinny
06-11-2005, 03:30 PM
I'm not calling their talent the same but that was the exact situation that Joe Montanna had with Steve Young. Their team ended up OK. I don't get the spin logic argument. I see it over and over and don't know why in the heck it matters. As long as the ball isn't coming end over end it really isn't a problem.

BradK10
06-11-2005, 03:57 PM
have you every played football and caught passes from both? it is a little different. not drastic, but definitely a change when you see it.

Vinny
06-11-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm old but we had footballs back when I was a kid. ;)

Hottoddie
06-11-2005, 04:00 PM
With Ragone's performance & desire to be a starter in the NFL, I'm going to assume that he'll be traded at some point. So, the question I have to ask is, will he get us a #1 draft pick, or a 2nd rounder/other considerations? With the quality 1st round talent this year, an extra 1st round pick could net us 2 solid starters. How'd you like to have the chance of coming out of this next draft with a future All-Pro LT & a future All-Pro NT, or possibly a Franchise RB? It's going to be interesting.

TexanExile
06-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Seems like there is a lesson here somewhere.

The lesson is in acknowledging that someone's earned a break from the criticism, even if you've been one of the critics--kinda like last summer, when you acknowledged that you'd been too tough on a young developing QB named David Carr and wanted to give him a "fresh start." (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showpost.php?p=8300&postcount=12)

It's not so bad to say you're going to ease up on someone--right?

Vinny
06-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Didn't say it was bad to 'get right', but every year we seem to knock someone who is developing for no real reason other than to complain. This last off-season it has been Wand.

I never considerd Carr a bust if thats what you are getting at. I just critiqued his play and most of you guys just got defensive when someone was objectively breaking down his weaknesses.

TexanExile
06-11-2005, 04:50 PM
No, I was just making a comment on the specific post--no implication of previous "bust" claims intended. (In fact, I'm a little surprised that when you look at the outright assaults on Palmer and Capers we sometimes see here, that there aren't more Carr-is-a-bust threads.)

I guess I can't agree that this offseason's critiques of guys like Seth Wand were/are just for complaining's sake. I can't speak for others, but if I see a problem area and I don't see management or coaches trying to address it, I'm going to comment on it. And I think that's a fair thing to do, as long as the critique is balanced and not just a rant. I definitely disagree with anyone who says that legitimately critiquing an underperforming player or a questionable team move is "complaining" or "whining."

To use the Wand example, I think he's a weakness--BUT, the Texans have, in my opinion, tried to solve the serious LT problem this offseason, and also have avoided jumping off some bad free-agent cliff to fix the situation in a way that would've created other problems. So hey, if Wand's the best we can do, and they seriously tried to find a better answer, it's all I can ask for.

And to bring that back to Ragone, the guy wasn't ready to play in the NFL and I thought he failed to show any improvement at all in the last offseason. The Texans sent him to the developmental league to get the kind of reps he never would've gotten elsewhere. And it worked well! I think he'll contend for the #2 job now. So props to him and to the Texans for the NFLE experiment. That was another example of the team seeing a problem and doing something about it.

vtech9
06-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Didn't say it was bad to 'get right', but every year we seem to knock someone who is developing for no real reason other than to complain. This last off-season it has been Wand.

I never considerd Carr a bust if thats what you are getting at. I just critiqued his play and most of you guys just got defensive when someone was objectively breaking down his weaknesses.
Well, I still critique Carr and probably always will while he is an NFL QB. I think Carr has the potential to be a Hall of Fame Caliber QB, but like I said during the season, he doesn't make the best decisions all the time, but then a again who does.

I also think that Wand is going to be a pretty good LT for us. He just needs more experience.

As far as Ragone goes, I've been arguing with my dad for the past two seasons and this offseason, that Ragone is better than what he and everyone else was giving him credit for. Ragone's season over in Europe has gone a long way to vindicate my belief in Ragone to my dad and others. Now I'm not saying that Ragone is better than Carr, but I have believed that he was a good draft pick ever since we picked him and that he will make a decent starter for some team in the future.

beerlover
06-11-2005, 04:56 PM
I don't get the spin logic argument. I see it over and over and don't know why in the heck it matters. As long as the ball isn't coming end over end it really isn't a problem.

Ball rotation is a legitimate physical factor along with velocity & pitch that directly affects its catchability. But if you think its a non-factor then it makes a little more sense Casserly thought the same thing since he drafted him. Or could Ragone be in fact trade fodder?

texasguy346
06-11-2005, 08:18 PM
I'm old but we had footballs back when I was a kid. ;)

Now I wouldn't quite call them footballs. They were basically stones shaped like a football. How bout those cave women cheerleaders? :drool:

ledzeppelin229
06-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Now I wouldn't quite call them footballs. They were basically stones shaped like a football. How bout those cave women cheerleaders? :drool:

Remember, he's half Japanese so they probably used coconuts. :jk: (I'll be honest, I don't even know if Japan has coconuts on it)

Anyone else see the video shot of those NFL Europe cheerleaders? It took me awhile just to find one that didn't hurt my eyes.