PDA

View Full Version : Owen Daniels update...

Carr Bombed
03-30-2010, 03:07 PM
By Paul Kuharsky

Owen Daniels has not signed his RFA tender from the Houston Texans yet, but both sides wisely reach an agreement thats got him recovering from his torn ACL with the team.

The Texans just started their offseason conditioning program, and the team shared transcripts from three key guys including Daniels. He said hes been around regularly through the offseason rehabilitating.

I did not sign my tender, but the Texans stepped up and put a document together that allowed me to come out and still rehab and be around the guys, so its definitely an act of good faith on their part to protect themselves and me as well, Daniels said. "They definitely want me around here with the guys rehabbing, so we put that together so even if something happens Id be compensated and theyd be protected.

He said his goal is to be good to go by June 1 and that he is on pace for that. He expects to be around the team for OTAs and minicamp, but obviously wont be a full participant in on the field work.

Daniels also spoke optimistically about his contract situations.

Weve had some positive talks, my people and management, at the combine, he said. Theyve indicated they want to get something done; weve just got to wait til I get healthy and cleared and see what happens.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/10572/daniels-rehab-aimed-at-june-1

El Tejano
03-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Cool. Now Demeco and Pollard need contracts please.

NitroGSXR
03-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Cool. Now Demeco and Pollard need contracts please.

He's not signed for the season yet. It's just a contract that allows him to rehab without his actal contract being signed

El Tejano
03-30-2010, 03:20 PM
He's not signed for the season yet. It's just a contract that allows him to rehab without his actal contract being signed

I know but it's better than what we had.

BTW, big ups to OD for wanting to be with the team while injured and undergoing contract negotiations. These type of players are the answer to the problems.

BigBull17
03-30-2010, 03:39 PM
I know but it's better than what we had.

BTW, big ups to OD for wanting to be with the team while injured and undergoing contract negotiations. These type of players are the answer to the problems.

It is a big step in the right direction. Good to see it.

False Start
03-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Good news, now get it done with Demeco, and Pollard.

Big Lou
03-30-2010, 03:46 PM
I like this move.

Me likey a lot!

AnthonyE
03-30-2010, 05:54 PM
It is a big step in the right direction. Good to see it.

Exactly. Good news for both parties.

El Tejano
03-31-2010, 09:12 AM
Well OD feels good about it and now Demeco has been signed. Maybe we saved that FA money to buy back the guys we already got.

Can't wait for OD's deal to be done and for Pollard to get done too.

BigBull17
03-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Well OD feels good about it and now Demeco has been signed. Maybe we saved that FA money to buy back the guys we already got.

Can't wait for OD's deal to be done and for Pollard to get done too.

Od and Pollard are a bit trickier though. One is comming off an bad injury, and the other hasn't done it year in and year out. I think we'll have to stew a bit on these two. Great job on Demeco though, he has earned it and deserves every penny. Guess we are using the threat of walkout as an incentive to sign.

The Pencil Neck
03-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Od and Pollard are a bit trickier though. One is comming off an bad injury, and the other hasn't done it year in and year out. I think we'll have to stew a bit on these two. Great job on Demeco though, he has earned it and deserves every penny. Guess we are using the threat of walkout as an incentive to sign.

Pollard was not a bad player with the Chiefs. From what I remember, he just got into an argument with a coach and got cut. He's still young and coming into his prime. I think he's a good investment.

IDEXAN
03-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Getting Demeco, who very possibly along with Schaub and AJ is one of the teams 3 MVPs, signed is far, far mosre important than ODs signing who's situation I would put closer to that of Chester Pitts.
Now I know Pitts is a FA because he was an unrestricted FA whereas OD received a tender from the Texans because he was a restriced FA, but he's still just a good starter coming off of a season-ending injury who's recovery is still uncertain vs DeMeco who is in tip-top form who is practically invaluable to the franchise. Plus DeMeco is 2 younger than OD and without his injury history.

BigBull17
03-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Pollard was not a bad player with the Chiefs. From what I remember, he just got into an argument with a coach and got cut. He's still young and coming into his prime. I think he's a good investment.

I'm mot saying he was a bad player for the Chiefs, just that we need to see him in our system for more than 13 games befor we lock him up.

Jackie Chiles
03-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Getting Demeco, who very possibly along with Schaub and AJ is one of the teams 3 MVPs, signed is far, far mosre important than ODs signing who's situation I would put closer to that of Chester Pitts.
Now I know Pitts is a FA because he was an unrestricted FA whereas OD received a tender from the Texans because he was a restriced FA, but he's still just a good starter coming off of a season-ending injury who's recovery is still uncertain vs DeMeco who is in tip-top form who is practically invaluable to the franchise. Plus DeMeco is 2 younger than OD and without his injury history.

At this point OD is not comparable to Pitts in the least. He is an integral part of the offense and a proven Pro Bowl player in his prime. ACL injuries are far less complicated than what Pitts had which is unfortunate for Pitts. I love Chester but Owen is a far superior talent. You aren't one of those that thinks OD is a "system" TE by chance are you?

Dutchrudder
03-31-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm mot saying he was a bad player for the Chiefs, just that we need to see him in our system for more than 13 games befor we lock him up.

Yeah, there's no reason to lock up Pollard long-term when we can just pay him 3 mil this year to make sure he is the real deal. Given that the Texans waited for DeMeco to make the Pro-bowl twice before they locked him up, I imagine they will sit on Pollard for at least one more year.

texanfan2002114
03-31-2010, 01:35 PM

Man your crazy. The ONLY reason why you didn't hear about Pollard before coming here was because he was in KC on terrible teams. Then KC tried to black ball him for having a dispute with HC and GM. Here are Pollards numbers.

YR TM G Combo TT Ast Sck Sfty PDef INT TD

09 Hou 13 102 81 21 1.5 0 7 4 1

08 KC 16 98 78 20 0.0 0 1 1 0

07 KC 16 90 74 16 1.0 1 7 2 0

06 KC 16 10 10.0 0 0.0 0 1 0 0

And the numbers he put up last year with the Texans were in only 13 games!! "Pay da man his money!"

ObsiWan
03-31-2010, 01:49 PM

Concur.

Some say we need guys with attitude on our D and in the locker room. Pollard brings that.

Sign him.

BigBull17
03-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Man your crazy. The ONLY reason why you didn't hear about Pollard before coming here was because he was in KC on terrible teams. Then KC tried to black ball him for having a dispute with HC and GM. Here are Pollards numbers.

YR TM G Combo TT Ast Sck Sfty PDef INT TD

09 Hou 13 102 81 21 1.5 0 7 4 1

08 KC 16 98 78 20 0.0 0 1 1 0

07 KC 16 90 74 16 1.0 1 7 2 0

06 KC 16 10 10.0 0 0.0 0 1 0 0

And the numbers he put up last year with the Texans were in only 13 games!! "Pay da man his money!"

I'm not crazy, just want to see him play one more season in our system befor I lock him up. Makes me careful. The NFL is full of guys who play well, get long contracts, and never do a thing after. I don't think Pollard is that kind of guy, but I'd rather wait one more year.

texanfan2002114
03-31-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm not crazy, just want to see him play one more season in our system befor I lock him up. Makes me careful. The NFL is full of guys who play well, get long contracts, and never do a thing after. I don't think Pollard is that kind of guy, but I'd rather wait one more year.

He has done it for 3 years now and was reunited with his DB coach when he joined Houston. As far as seeing him play one more year in the Texans system, can you imagine the numbers if he was in camp with the Texans last year? Guy comes off the street after being cut and misses the 1st three weeks of the season and still finishes with over 100 total tackles on a defense that he was learning as the season went on.

Plus he was the vocal leader the defense needed and backed it up with his play! "Pay da man his money!"

RagingBull
03-31-2010, 02:34 PM
If they sign Pollard now they will get him for a much better price as they do not have to compete with any other teams and he has not had a "Breakout" season to make him an elite level safety. He is currently a "very good to excellent" safety but not elite. I think he has the potential to be up there though and they would be smart to lock him up now for a more reasonable price.

texanfan2002114
03-31-2010, 02:43 PM
If they sign Pollard now they will get him for a much better price as they do not have to compete with any other teams and he has not had a "Breakout" season to make him an elite level safety. He is currently a "very good to excellent" safety but not elite. I think he has the potential to be up there though and they would be smart to lock him up now for a more reasonable price.

I agree with 100%!! If the Texans offer a good contract, I feel Pollard would jump on it. Its time for the teams to reward the players who have proven they can play in the league unlike paying players like Carr who didn't do crap before he was awarded that bonus!

ObsiWan
03-31-2010, 04:55 PM

Usually those guys fall into two camps (IMO):
(a) They're "talented" (spell that "early round" - late round guys would have been cut already) guys who, after underachieving for a season or three, wake up and play their butts off for "the big payday" and then, once they get it, they kinda kick back. these guys can usually be spotted by the trained eye and identified by the miraculous spike in their production numbers that, amazingly, coincides to an expiring contract...

Orrrrr

(b) they're system guys who put up artificially high numbers because a certain system favors their skill set. Then they get signed by coaching staffs / front offices that didn't do their homework and signed the guy based on numbers instead of whether he fit what they do.

This is what you're afraid of.

I'm not.
I have enough data. Pollard's a hitter and supports the run well. At SS that's what you want. He brings attitude. On any defense, that's what you want.

Besides, I doubt if Pollard's contract - especially if you do it this year before he makes the pro bowl or something - would break the bank. And if you're truly skeerd (or cheap), sign him to a 2-yr incentive-heavy contract with an option year.

barrett
03-31-2010, 07:31 PM
I agree with 100%!! If the Texans offer a good contract, I feel Pollard would jump on it. Its time for the teams to reward the players who have proven they can play in the league unlike paying players like Carr who didn't do crap before he was awarded that bonus!

I'm perfectly fine with the RFA on Pollard until we see another season out of him. He'll be restricted for another year. There is no rush.

Let's put Slaton in Pollard's shoes. I'm not suggesting that Slaton won't return to form because I think he may, but suppose they gave him a new deal after yr 1 and then he had a year like last year. It's very reasonable to ask players to repeat their productivity. Daniels continues to get better. Ryans continues to get better. Dunta.... plays for Atlanta now.

BigBull17
03-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Usually those guys fall into two camps (IMO):
(a) They're "talented" (spell that "early round" - late round guys would have been cut already) guys who, after underachieving for a season or three, wake up and play their butts off for "the big payday" and then, once they get it, they kinda kick back. these guys can usually be spotted by the trained eye and identified by the miraculous spike in their production numbers that, amazingly, coincides to an expiring contract...

Orrrrr

(b) they're system guys who put up artificially high numbers because a certain system favors their skill set. Then they get signed by coaching staffs / front offices that didn't do their homework and signed the guy based on numbers instead of whether he fit what they do.

This is what you're afraid of.

I'm not.
I have enough data. Pollard's a hitter and supports the run well. At SS that's what you want. He brings attitude. On any defense, that's what you want.

Besides, I doubt if Pollard's contract - especially if you do it this year before he makes the pro bowl or something - would break the bank. And if you're truly skeerd (or cheap), sign him to a 2-yr incentive-heavy contract with an option year.

I agree with this, just don't want to go crazy off of our small sample size.

threetoedpete
04-01-2010, 10:20 AM

Oh I like the psychotics on the defense. If anything they were too passive in the past. Antonio Smith and Pollard gives them a bit of an edgy feel to the defense. It'll drive Kubiak a little wacko, but you have to have a couple of psychos on the defense feeding off of each other. We already have our quota of silent assassins on the d with Mario and Cushing. I thought one of the signs we were on the correct path to the super bowl last year was the brawl on the titans sidelines last season.
Not that we will fight at the drop of a pin, but that we will protect the house if we have to. Everyone has every ones back on the team. Team. Until that brawl, no one knew. I like the o-lineman helping the running backs up to their feet after a great run. I like the o-lineman protecting them, the running backs in the pile. Going after anyone who threatens MS after a throw and the ball is out. And I like our psychos on defense.

buddyboy
04-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Oh I like the psychotics on the defense. If anything they were too passive in the past. Antonio Smith and Pollard gives them a bit of an edgy feel to the defense. It'll drive Kubiak a little wacko, but you have to have a couple of psychos on the defense feeding off of each other. We already have our quota of silent assassins on the d with Mario and Cushing. I thought one of the signs we were on the correct path to the super bowl last year was the brawl on the titans sidelines last season.
Not that we will fight at the drop of a pin, but that we will protect the house if we have to. Everyone has every ones back on the team. Team. Until that brawl, no one knew. I like the o-lineman helping the running backs up to their feet after a great run. I like the o-lineman protecting them, the running backs in the pile. Going after anyone who threatens MS after a throw and the ball is out. And I like our psychos on defense.

Have you seen the video of Cushing miked up? That guy is anything BUT silent. In fact, it seemed like he never stopped talking.

ubecool454
04-01-2010, 12:34 PM
I think they will sign him to a long term deal after the draft. Pollard will probably get an extenstion at the same time..(I hope).

Insideop
04-01-2010, 02:59 PM
I think they will sign him to a long term deal after the draft. Pollard will probably get an extenstion at the same time..(I hope).

I sure hope you're right about this. They need to get Pollard locked up to a good long term deal like DeMeco. The attitude of the Defense changed when he came on-board in week 4, and I think we need a few more like him, on both sides of the ball! JMHO!

ChampionTexan
04-01-2010, 03:14 PM
I sure hope you're right about this. They need to get Pollard locked up to a good long term deal like DeMeco. The attitude of the Defense changed when he came on-board in week 4, and I think we need a few more like him, on both sides of the ball! JMHO!

I'm not a talent evaluator, and I'm well aware of that fact, but I do try to get feedback from as many sources that I trust as I can.

One thing Lance Z has said on a number of occasions (that I don't recall being mentioned on this board) is that some of his NFL sources have told him that they believe that Pollard will be exposed (primarily from a coverage standpoint) next year, now that other teams have a decent amount of tape on him playing in the Texans system. He's also given credit to Bush and the coaching staff for scheming to minimize his weaknesses in 2009.

You can agree or disagree with the idea behind it, but I hold a high enough opinion of LZ, and in this case, his sources, not to just dismiss it out of hand. Whether they're right or wrong obviously remains to be seen, but I don't question the fact that the sentiment is out there, and perhaps the Texans are choosing to use the safety net that is restricted free agency, to get a longer look, and take their chances on renewing him after the 2010 season. On a less expensive level, this is pretty much what they did with Dunta last year.

Dutchrudder
04-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm not a talent evaluator, and I'm well aware of that fact, but I do try to get feedback from as many sources that I trust as I can.

One thing Lance Z has said on a number of occasions (that I don't recall being mentioned on this board) is that some of his NFL sources have told him that they believe that Pollard will be exposed (primarily from a coverage standpoint) next year, now that other teams have a decent amount of tape on him playing in the Texans system. He's also given credit to Bush and the coaching staff for scheming to minimize his weaknesses in 2009.

You can agree or disagree with the idea behind it, but I hold a high enough opinion of LZ, and in this case, his sources, not to just dismiss it out of hand. Whether they're right or wrong obviously remains to be seen, but I don't question the fact that the sentiment is out there, and perhaps the Texans are choosing to use the safety net that is restricted free agency, to get a longer look, and take their chances on renewing him after the 2010 season. On a less expensive level, this is pretty much what they did with Dunta last year.

Do you have an article from LZ to back that up?

ChampionTexan
04-01-2010, 03:44 PM

I don't recall seeing it written about on his Blog - but he's mentioned it on his show on more than one occasion.

drewmar74
04-01-2010, 03:49 PM

That's about the most depressing thing I heard all darn day.

ChampionTexan
04-01-2010, 03:50 PM
That's about the most depressing thing I heard all darn day.

Don't shoot the messenger (or in this case, the messenger's messenger).

Ole Miss Texan
04-01-2010, 03:50 PM

It wouldn't surprise me. This happens a lot. Case in point: Reggie Nelson with the Jaguars. Had a good rookie season but now that teams have enough film on him, they literally target him so much Jacksonville that he got benched for Anthony Smith and is in jeopardy of getting cut.

Not saying this is going to happen to Pollard- I hope not, I really like him on our team. But we all thought Will Demps was the second coming of Polamalu or something a couple years ago.

ChampionTexan
04-01-2010, 03:53 PM
It wouldn't surprise me. This happens a lot. Case in point: Reggie Nelson with the Jaguars. Had a good rookie season but now that teams have enough film on him, they literally target him so much Jacksonville that he got benched for Anthony Smith and is in jeopardy of getting cut.

Not saying this is going to happen to Pollard- I hope not, I really like him on our team. But we all though Will Demps was the second coming of Polamalu or something a couple years ago.

I'm not saying Lance agreed with the comments (to be honest, I don't recall whether he even said one way or the other), just that there were knowledgable folks out there who had made them.

jaayteetx
04-14-2010, 08:50 PM
http://www.facebook.com/OwenDaniels
Looks like he is making cuts now, good news.

False Start
04-15-2010, 09:07 AM
http://www.facebook.com/OwenDaniels
Looks like he is making cuts now, good news.

Good news. :jam:

BIG TORO
04-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Muy bueno! berry berry guud!

SAMURAITEXAN
04-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Good to know Owen is making cuts.

HOU-TEX
04-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Isn't today the final day for RFA's to sign their tenders? OD's the only one who hasn't signed. :hmmm:

ChampionTexan
04-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Isn't today the final day for RFA's to sign their tenders? OD's the only one who hasn't signed. :hmmm:

Tenders - no, offer sheets from other teams - yes. Basically, it means the only possible way O.D. cna play for another team in 2010 is if the Texans trade him, or withdraw the tender. Trading could only be done when and if the tender is signed.

Last year it was June before O.D. signed the tender.

IDEXAN
04-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Tenders - no, offer sheets from other teams - yes. Basically, it means the only possible way O.D. cna play for another team in 2010 is if the Texans trade him, or withdraw the tender. Trading could only be done when and if the tender is signed.

Why would any team be interested in trading valuable consideration for a systems TE who's return to form remains uncertain while he rehabs from the third blown-knee in his career ?

HOU-TEX
04-16-2010, 09:28 AM

I thought that was the case. I reckon I sustained a temporary brain fart.

Thanks, man

hadaad
04-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Why would any team be interested in trading valuable consideration for a systems TE who's return to form remains uncertain while he rehabs from the third blown-knee in his career ?

You can't fool me. You're James Casey, aren't you?

Or maybe a sad and disillusioned Bennie Joppru.

Allstar
04-29-2010, 03:58 PM
via twitter:

owendaniels

Sorry for the delay in tweets peeps! 5 month checkup w/doc andrews went well, says everything looks great! Runnin routes now, ballin soon. 32 minutes ago via twidroid

http://twitter.com/owendaniels/status/13085108053

El Tejano
04-29-2010, 04:05 PM
via twitter:

owendaniels

Sorry for the delay in tweets peeps! 5 month checkup w/doc andrews went well, says everything looks great! Runnin routes now, ballin soon. 32 minutes ago via twidroid

http://twitter.com/owendaniels/status/13085108053

GLORY TO GOD!!!!:splits:

badboy
04-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Good news

beerlover
05-09-2010, 03:22 PM
expect Owen Daniels to sign his tender no sooner than June 1st if he follows a similar path to Ronnie Brown/Dolphins Miami Dolphins restricted free-agent RB Ronnie Brown (foot) probably won't sign his tender offer until June 1st, reports Omar Kelly, of the Sun-Sentinel.com. At that point, the Dolphins can reduce their offer without releasing him. Brown is working with the Dolphins, but his minicamp status is in question due to last season's foot injury.

gary
05-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Sign it and then maybe get a deal done during the season if all goes well.

Ryan
05-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Having him back can boost the offense enough to offset our OLB issue for the first 4 weeks.