PDA

View Full Version : Bob McNair, #8

The Pencil Neck
03-26-2010, 02:21 PM
McNair ranked as 8th best owner in the league:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/368824-nfl-offseason-ranking-the-nfls-owners-1-32#page/26

McNair is a class-act owner, whose Texans debuted as an expansion team just eight years ago. A frequent charity contributor, McNair is a power plant mogul, who sold his first company to Enron back in 1999 for a sizable payout.

Bringing another football team to Texas has worked out fantastic for Houston, who while they havenít won a championship yet, have become increasingly competitive year after year. Itís hard to rank a young franchise, but Houston is doing everything right.

JB
03-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Damn Straight!

Big Lou
03-26-2010, 02:28 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/368824-nfl-offseason-ranking-the-nfls-owners-1-32#page/26

Cue the "Bob McNair is rich fat cat and is a big cheap ass!!!!", comments in 3.....2......1........

kiwitexansfan
03-26-2010, 02:39 PM
He seems to be doing things the right way.... I have no complaints.

Blake
03-26-2010, 02:42 PM

"Itís hard to rank a young franchise, but Houston is doing everything right."

Except winning big games and making playoff appearances.

Hardcore Texan
03-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Two responses:

#1 He might be number 8 on the list but he is number 1 in our hearts. :texflag:

B) Oh the sh*! is about to hit the fan now when Second Honeymoon sees this.

*edit - Big Lou you beat me to it:

Cue the "Bob McNair is rich fat cat and is a big cheap ass!!!!", comments in 3.....2......1........

pbat488
03-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Getting my popcorn ready....

Dutchrudder
03-26-2010, 02:51 PM
I hope the Titans never win a superbowl during Bud Adams' lifetime.

BIG TORO
03-26-2010, 03:03 PM

Wow I dislike the titans, but that is evil!

I like it!:goodpost:

Double Barrel
03-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Why did it have to be #8??? :brickwall:

redwhiteANDblue
03-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Wow I dislike the titans, but that is evil!

I like it!:goodpost:

its justice

Tailgate
03-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I hate the guy who paid millions upon millions of his own money to bring us NFL football back to Houston. Without him, we would at THIS MOMENT only be dreaming and waiting for another franchise to move here.

ChampionTexan
03-26-2010, 03:18 PM

Drop the tounge-in-cheek self loathing - If you haven't checked lately, #8 for the Houston Texans should now be a source of pride!

Blake
03-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Its funny to me how everyone gets pissed at the anti-mcnair members for posting, yet the only people making witty remarks are the pro-mcnair people.

Double Barrel
03-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Drop the tounge-in-cheek self loathing - If you haven't checked lately, #8 for the Houston Texans should now be a source of pride!

Drop the sensitive routine or take some Midol. I can't help if you are sarcasm challenged. :fingergun:

Just in case you want to continue the whine, I've had nothing but respect for Mr. McNair and his entertainment acquisition for the city of Houston. My record on the subject represents my thoughts well.

Hardcore Texan
03-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Its funny to me how everyone gets pissed at the anti-mcnair members for posting, yet the only people making witty remarks are the pro-mcnair people.

say what to who now?

Second Honeymoon
03-26-2010, 03:30 PM
i'd put him at middle of the road at #16 but that isn't that big of a gap.

Paul Allen at #28 and Jerry Jones at #27 shows that the author really doesn't have a clue.

Also to have the 49er ownership at #13 is so ridiculous its not even funny. Since Eddie died, that whole franchise has been in utter shambles.

And I don't have a problem with Rooney at #1, he parlayed it into becoming Ambassador to Republic of Ireland, but to have Ralph Wilson at #2 is a joke. Why? Because he is old? well he definitely has that covered. Just a total joke. Wilson is one of the cheapest owners and I will give him credit for staying in Buffalo amidst lots of problems but he has already sold out partially to Toronto. He doesn't get that sympathy anymore....plus with revenue sharing he is one of the owners saying they are poor. screw wilson.

OT - I hate the freaking Bills. Detest them. Too many bad memories...

ChampionTexan
03-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Drop the sensitive routine or take some Midol. I can't help if you are sarcasm challenged. :fingergun:

Just in case you want to continue the whine, I've had nothing but respect for Mr. McNair and his entertainment acquisition for the city of Houston. My record on the subject represents my thoughts well.

I think you need to take some of your own advice (The Midol part). I fully acknowledged the tongue-in cheek nature of your comment - consider that my response to your sarcasm remark (and lucky me, I was able to respond to a comment you hadn't even made yet.)

Double Barrel
03-26-2010, 04:04 PM
I think you need to take some of your own advice (The Midol part). I fully acknowledged the tongue-in cheek nature of your comment - consider that my response to your sarcasm remark (and lucky me, I was able to respond to a comment you hadn't even made yet.)

Fair enough. :fingergun: <--- was just to show I was having fun, and I knew that you were joking around. Some folks do get upset about these things, so no instigation on my part, just us poking at each other. I've taken my Midol and still got the cramps. Just my luck!

I found lowbrow humor in the #8 connection, nothing to do with our current #8, but rather the history of McNair's connection to the former #8, all things considered. Silly stuff indeed, but I personally think ranking owners is silly in and of itself. JMO

ChampionTexan
03-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Fair enough. :fingergun: <--- was just to show I was having fun, and I knew that you were joking around. Some folks do get upset about these things, so no instigation on my part, just us poking at each other. I've taken my Midol and still got the cramps. Just my luck!

I found lowbrow humor in the #8 connection, nothing to do with our current #8, but rather the history of McNair's connection to the former #8, all things considered. Silly stuff indeed, but I personally think ranking owners is silly in and of itself. JMO

Consider a Midol taken as a gesture of good faith by me too (Wonder how long them suckers are supposed to last?).

GP
03-26-2010, 05:00 PM
I got no problem with SH. And I find it disheartening that several posters use him as a way to try and make themselves look better (with the snarky sarcasm directed at him when he's yet to have posted). He gave McNair #16 ranking, so he's not trolling or he would have said he ranks him almost dead last.

A lot of times, he points out things that nobody else tried to even think of.

Such as how certain owners were ranked in a curious order.

I would not have Ralph Wilson there at #2, that's for sure. He's teasing his own fan base by dangling some games in Canada, and has had to be propped up by the richer franchises.

In short, the Bills are like the Postal Office. Without obscene financial crutches from other bigger-market teams, they'd fold in a few seasons. Kinda' hard to get all razz-matazzed about the Bills ownership, IMO.

Although I dislike Jerry Jones, there is no denying that he brought Super Bowls back to Dallas. And despite not being a serious contender since that time, he still finds a way to make his team important to fans. I'd rank him in the Top 5, easily.

Hardcore Texan
03-26-2010, 05:34 PM
I got no problem with SH. And I find it disheartening that several posters use him as a way to try and make themselves look better (with the snarky sarcasm directed at him when he's yet to have posted). He gave McNair #16 ranking, so he's not trolling or he would have said he ranks him almost dead last.

A lot of times, he points out things that nobody else tried to even think of.

Such as how certain owners were ranked in a curious order.

I would not have Ralph Wilson there at #2, that's for sure. He's teasing his own fan base by dangling some games in Canada, and has had to be propped up by the richer franchises.

In short, the Bills are like the Postal Office. Without obscene financial crutches from other bigger-market teams, they'd fold in a few seasons. Kinda' hard to get all razz-matazzed about the Bills ownership, IMO.

Although I dislike Jerry Jones, there is no denying that he brought Super Bowls back to Dallas. And despite not being a serious contender since that time, he still finds a way to make his team important to fans. I'd rank him in the Top 5, easily.

Oh give me a break nobody accused SH of trolling. All I said was 'the bleep is going to hit the fan'. If you are directing it at me anyway that is, I have been around her long enough to the personas.

An example: SH has strong feelings about Bob McNair, feelings that I disagree with. We have seen his feelings about it posted sort of what you would call often. So me saying 'the shiat was going to hit the fan' was not me cutting him down, I was simply guessing based on the law of probability. That same law says you will have a response no less than 4 paragraphs more often than not. :fingergun:

NitroGSXR
03-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Oh give me a break nobody accused SH of trolling. All I said was 'the bleep is going to hit the fan'. If you are directing it at me anyway that is, I have been around her long enough to the personas.

An example: SH has strong feelings about Bob McNair, feelings that I disagree with. We have seen his feelings about it posted sort of what you would call often. So me saying 'the shiat was going to hit the fan' was not me cutting him down, I was simply guessing based on the law of probability. That same law says you will have a response no less than 4 paragraphs more often than not. :fingergun:

Calm down. SH has been referred to as a troll in the past. A notion I disagree with. He's a great fan of our team but he's also very hard on the Texans. I like it... sometimes I don't but more often I do.

Hardcore Texan
03-26-2010, 05:46 PM
I am calm, cool as a cucumber.

GP
03-26-2010, 05:51 PM

Slow down. Slow down.

I didn't mention any names, because I know that some of you guys are just having GOOD-natured fun with him.

Sorry you thought I was talking to you. I wasn't. I just see it happening a lot, and we all know that some are doing it for fun and others are trying to provoke anger from another member on the board.

GP
03-26-2010, 05:53 PM

LOL! Zinger!

I didn't read THAT far down, the first time.

Now I'm mad at you. j/k

(there's a short post from me. quick, everybody: bookmark it for future reference!)

Kaiser Toro
03-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Bleacher Report is one of the worst sources on the subject of football IMO.

McNair is a terrific businessman who has definitely made many people very happy with bringing football to a football starved city. Of course, there will always be people thankful for that. Until he is able to allocate the right resources to make this team a venture that is profitable due to excellence on the field, he will always have his detractors as well. It ain't science.

Big Lou
03-26-2010, 06:52 PM

Oh man I was thinking the same thing. I thought this thread was going to be something totally different whn I opened it!!!!

I like ol' Bob. He's a class act. Don't know why he was going with Hockey as his first choice, but God Bless the man for beating LA to the punch and giving us something to cheer for that involves lots of hitting!!!!!

CloakNNNdagger
03-26-2010, 11:01 PM
I find it amusing that nowhere is there an attempt to define the criteria for "standards" of a "good owner."

Actually, most people NEED specific criteria to guide them. I, on the other hand, have amazing perception and can readily recognize one right off the bat.

http://images.clipartof.com/small/4114-Male-Angel-With-Wings-Sitting-On-Clouds-Clipart.jpg

Fred
03-27-2010, 08:29 AM
LOL! Zinger!

I didn't read THAT far down, the first time.

Now I'm mad at you. j/k

(there's a short post from me. quick, everybody: bookmark it for future reference!)
Very short yet you still broke it into 4 paragraphs! LOL!
I find it amusing that nowhere is there an attempt to define the criteria for "standards" of a "good owner."

Actually, most people NEED specific criteria to guide them. I, on the other hand, have amazing perception and can readily recognize one right off the bat.

http://images.clipartof.com/small/4114-Male-Angel-With-Wings-Sitting-On-Clouds-Clipart.jpg
Pretty close, but he needs to be raining money down on everyone, especially washed up thugs...

GP
03-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Very short yet you still broke it into 4 paragraphs! LOL!

Dang it!

:wild:

rush2112mn
03-27-2010, 12:07 PM
As far as ranking is concerned......he is up there close...
As far as making it a fan friendly atmosphere....I would say #1

WWJD
03-27-2010, 12:13 PM
I think it's the offseason and even the writers are bored.

Dash
03-27-2010, 02:57 PM
I have no problem with McNair, he's been solid imo.

barrett
03-28-2010, 12:14 AM
For all the valid reasons everyone hates Adams, his ranking should be higher than Wilson's if they are basing it on his AFL cred.

ChampionTexan
03-28-2010, 12:46 AM
For all the valid reasons everyone hates Adams, his ranking should be higher than Wilson's if they are basing it on his AFL cred.

Don't know that I completely agree with that, but if it's AFL cred that's bumping up Wilson, Al Davis should be a whole lot higher on the list too.

The Pencil Neck
03-28-2010, 12:52 AM
Any time there's a "best of" or "top X" sort of thing where someone's judging that person A is better/worse than person B, it's all BS. It's like... who's better: Jimi Hendrix or Eric Clapton? The question itself is BS.

I just posted this because as Houston fans, we have a different perspective and I thought it was nice to see McNair and our team from the perspective of someone outside our ranks. Just a glimpse into our we are perceived by the outside world. I'm sure there are lots of people who would rank us higher or lower and this is just one guy's opinion and it's not really based on any objective criteria.

painekiller
03-28-2010, 12:59 AM

I sent you a rep for that one....

NitroGSXR
03-28-2010, 01:11 AM
Don't know that I completely agree with that, but if it's AFL cred that's bumping up Wilson, Al Davis should be a whole lot higher on the list too.

Lamar Hunt and Bud Adams were most instrumental factors for the creation of the AFL. Adams was primarily responsible the AFL's success by wrangling Billy Cannon away from the strongholds of the NFL. Can't ignore what his impact in the AFL, AFC, and ultimately the NFL. Eff Bud Adams but he is the only owner worthy of the top AFL ranking.

Ugh. Excuse me. I need to pay my respects to the porcelain gods.

ChampionTexan
03-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Lamar Hunt and Bud Adams were most instrumental factors for the creation of the AFL. Adams was primarily responsible the AFL's success by wrangling Billy Cannon away from the strongholds of the NFL. Can't ignore what his impact in the AFL, AFC, and ultimately the NFL. Eff Bud Adams but he is the only owner worthy of the top AFL ranking.

Ugh. Excuse me. I need to pay my respects to the porcelain gods.

In the creation yes, but in terms of development, I think I give more of the credit to Wilson. Bud's biggest asset (pun intended) was that he was the most financially stable owner next to Lamar Hunt. When you look at the strategic decisions, and the vision/leadership that took the league to the point it ultimately forced a merger, Bud's name doesn't show up nearly as much in that conversation. Lamar Hunt's in the Hall of Fame, Al Davis is in the Hall of Fame, Ralph Wilson's in the Hall of Fame, and living in Houston for the last 26 years, I can't honestly say I recall much in the way of a discussion of Bud being a serious candidate to join them.

Second Honeymoon
03-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Bleacher Report is one of the worst sources on the subject of football IMO.

McNair is a terrific businessman who has definitely made many people very happy with bringing football to a football starved city. Of course, there will always be people thankful for that. Until he is able to allocate the right resources to make this team a venture that is profitable due to excellence on the field, he will always have his detractors as well. It ain't science.

my opinion has always been that bleacherreport is basically a few dudes with an internet connection, a couple 12 packs, and a bong filled with cheap mexican dirt weed. this article has proved that theory correct.

some of their ratings just smack of bias and kneejerk journalism. i still can not get over that they rated the York/DeBartolo family in the Top 10. they should probably be #29 or #30. 15 years ago when Eddie was alive I would have had them in the Top 3 or 4 but the people that inherited that team and have run that once proud franchise into the ground should be ashamed of themselves. just pathetic. just go ask a 49er fan what they think of the family. Vinny? what you think?

and yes, Jerry Jones should be in any Top 10 of owners. I know he isn't exactly looked at like Mother Theresa around here, but there is no denying he has been a successful owner both on the field, off the field, and in the accountant's books.

also, thanks for all the good words everyone said to me, but i don't take any of this personally and we all want the same thing. people that disagree with me or try and belittle me, i take it in stride. its just an internet forum (though the best internet forum imho) and if we all got together somewhere, we would all be sharing beers and getting along fine.

debate and honest discourse is what being a fan is all about. if we all agreed, we wouldn't need this forum unless it was just to simply reaffirm our own opinions and allay any of our own insecurities. TB and I go at it all the time, sometimes more civil than others. Even Joe Texan, if we all got together we would be bros. Maybe I am wrong, but I believe that and we probably share more opinions and desires than one would expect. but once again, i appreciate the good words and the bad words from everyone.

JB
03-28-2010, 10:10 AM
my opinion has always been that bleacherreport is basically a few dudes with an internet connection, a couple 12 packs, and a bong filled with cheap mexican dirt weed. this article has proved that theory correct.

some of their ratings just smack of bias and kneejerk journalism. i still can not get over that they rated the York/DeBartolo family in the Top 10. they should probably be #29 or #30. 15 years ago when Eddie was alive I would have had them in the Top 3 or 4 but the people that inherited that team and have run that once proud franchise into the ground should be ashamed of themselves. just pathetic. just go ask a 49er fan what they think of the family. Vinny? what you think?

and yes, Jerry Jones should be in any Top 10 of owners. I know he isn't exactly looked at like Mother Theresa around here, but there is no denying he has been a successful owner both on the field, off the field, and in the accountant's books.

also, thanks for all the good words everyone said to me, but i don't take any of this personally and we all want the same thing. people that disagree with me or try and belittle me, i take it in stride. its just an internet forum (though the best internet forum imho) and if we all got together somewhere, we would all be sharing beers and getting along fine.

debate and honest discourse is what being a fan is all about. if we all agreed, we wouldn't need this forum unless it was just to simply reaffirm our own opinions and allay any of our own insecurities. TB and I go at it all the time, sometimes more civil than others. Even Joe Texan, if we all got together we would be bros. Maybe I am wrong, but I believe that and we probably share more opinions and desires than one would expect. but once again, i appreciate the good words and the bad words from everyone.

:goodpost:

Very well said! I think you are absolutely correct. Must spread rep...

Second Honeymoon
03-28-2010, 10:12 AM

very very true. wilson is there because one of the guys writing is obviously a Bills fan. great fans but i hate them. always will. 35-3. nuff said.

as recently as 5 years ago, i was an Al Davis apologist, but he has gone off the deep end as of late. I just can't defend him anymore.

when he took Russell with the #1 pick overall because of one football game, albeit the national championship game, i just gave up on him. he is an old senile and stubborn man that needs to give it up before he further tarnishes his once great legacy. at one time, he was easily a Top 5 owner...now he deserves the scorn and low rating he has received from these losers at bleacherreport.

steelbtexan
03-28-2010, 10:28 AM
As far as ranking is concerned......he is up there close...
As far as making it a fan friendly atmosphere....I would say #1

You had better be no.1 in the fan friendly category when you have consistently put a crappy product on the field. If you want to make a profit.

The feel I get at Reliant in regards to the fan atmosphere is mostly a coroporate feel. Compared to the atmosphere in Pitts., Philly,Cleve,GB. etc....

SH: Russell's great game wasn't a NC game. It was the Sugar Bowl. LSU vs Notre Dame.

It 's been a long time since ND was in a NC game.

Second Honeymoon
03-28-2010, 11:16 AM
You had better be no.1 in the fan friendly category when you have consistently put a crappy product on the field. If you want to make a profit.

The feel I get at Reliant in regards to the fan atmosphere is mostly a coroporate feel. Compared to the atmosphere in Pitts., Philly,Cleve,GB. etc....

SH: Russell's great game wasn't a NC game. It was the Sugar Bowl. LSU vs Notre Dame.

It 's been a long time since ND was in a NC game.

thats right. it was quinn v. russell.

Texans_Chick
03-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Bleacher Report is a joke. Except that they pay to have alliances with traditional news sources (like CBSSportsline) to get exposure and they have tons of content because anyone can write for them. Their authors do not get paid. And google puts Bleacher Report articles really high on google searches because of all the paid exposure and quantity of their work.

Here's the story behind Bleacher Report (http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/04/0421_best_young_entrepreneurs/10.htm). Genius idea. Put a platform together, invite anyone to write for you, and overwhelm google.

And this is a decent review of B/R (http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/03/01/why-bleacherreport-is-retarded-part-one-of-a-two-million-part-series/). (though I hate the title. I'm not PC but that word bothers me for reasons I do not wish to derail this thread).

Though I will say that most traditional sportswriters tend to rank Bob McNair high as an owner, see for example this one that puts McNair at #7 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-ownersrankingsparttwo072308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns), and he has a good reputation in the league.

There may be some good writers on B/R but it is hard to find them among all the garbage.

Texan_Bill
03-29-2010, 08:15 PM
YUP, that article was BS. How they don't have Al Davis and Pud Adams tied for 31st is beyond me.

Joe Texan
03-29-2010, 08:38 PM
:popcorn: