PDA

View Full Version : Draft prospects private workouts w/ Texans

m5kwatts
03-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Anyone know of any prospects having any private workouts with the Texans? I've heard of 2 so far, I figured there needed to be a thread here reporting these workouts when they happen... heres what I've found (not much yet)

http://www.twitter.com/NFLDraftBible/status/10683955546
Baylor S Jordan Lake will visit the Houston Texans on April 3.

http://www.twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL
Fresno State RB Ryan Matthews says he met with the Texans. Scouts tell me he'd be ideal for their system. He was 5-11, 218.

Add more if you hear anything!

NitroGSXR
03-18-2010, 11:13 PM
I got excited when I saw Matthews then my heart sank when it was McClain doing the twit.

Bleh.

TheRealJoker
03-18-2010, 11:43 PM
It looks like fate that Mathews is coming to the Texans...

This team is at the right point in its current development to spend a 1st round pick on a franchise RB to complete the offense. With Mathews and hopefully another addition to the OL, the offense will propel into truly elite status and the defense can take advantage of desperate opposing offenses playing catchup on our way to the playoffs!!! :whip:

hadaad
03-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Fresno State RB Ryan Matthews says he met with the Texans. Scouts tell me he'd be ideal for their system. He was 5-11, 218.

He was 5-11, 218? Sounds like an obituary.

m5kwatts
03-19-2010, 01:20 AM
The Texans met with Bruce Campbell at the combine, not sure if he has visited the facilities though...

threetoedpete
03-19-2010, 01:36 AM
It looks like fate that Mathews is coming to the Texans...

This team is at the right point in its current development to spend a 1st round pick on a franchise RB to complete the offense. With Mathews and hopefully another addition to the OL, the offense will propel into truly elite status and the defense can take advantage of desperate opposing offenses playing catchup on our way to the playoffs!!! :whip:

The gamble is that the current guys they have on the roster at G/C can improve enough over the summer to give them some sort of a push in the running game. From my perspective, all the DC's in the league are copy catting the Jets defensive game plan and are run blitzing us on first downs and short yardage downs. They are taking the chance they can make us one dimensional on second and long and on third and long. If they can't drag their bottom dwelling rushing attack out of the tank, they are toast before the season ever starts. It won't matter who the back is.

El Tejano
03-19-2010, 10:11 AM
The gamble is that the current guys they have on the roster at G/C can improve enough over the summer to give them some sort of a push in the running game. From my perspective, all the DC's in the league are copy catting the Jets defensive game plan and are run blitzing us on first downs and short yardage downs. They are taking the chance they can make us one dimensional on second and long and on third and long. If they can't drag their bottom dwelling rushing attack out of the tank, they are toast before the season ever starts. It won't matter who the back is.

I agree 100% with this statement.

m5kwatts
03-19-2010, 02:42 PM

Then how come that didn't work for the Dolphins and Patriots the last 2 games of the year?

Wolf6151
03-19-2010, 03:23 PM

I agree, if we don't improve our O-line then C.J. Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Ben Tate etc... it's not going to matter who's in our backfield, they ain't going anywhere.

playa465
03-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Then how come that didn't work for the Dolphins and Patriots the last 2 games of the year?

We won those games and I'm glad we did...but injuries were a major factor for those two teams and we barely won...a win is a win though.

m5kwatts
03-19-2010, 10:55 PM
We won those games and I'm glad we did...but injuries were a major factor for those two teams and we barely won...a win is a win though.

My point was that we ran the ball well against those teams...Miami was full strength and playing for a playoff spot, I'll give you the Patriots though some defensive starters still played...even so we couldnt run the ball as well vs. the Seahawks, Rams and Jags who are all worse than the Dolphins or Patriots

Lucky
03-19-2010, 11:20 PM
The Texans were at Vandy's pro day, watching CB Myron Lewis:

Cornerback Myron Lewis made another good impression at Vanderbilthttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100319/SPORTS01/100319084/2082/SPORTS#) Pro Day on Friday, and according to one pro scout may be a better prospect than his former teammate D.J Moore.

Moore, also a cornerback, was a fourth-round draft pick of the Chicago Bears last year. Lewis (6-foot-2, 185 pounds) has an edge on Moore (5-9, 185) in terms of size and cover skills, Houston Texanshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100319/SPORTS01/100319084/2082/SPORTS#) national scout Ed Lambert said.

“Lewis has got better length and he’s got good ball skills,’’ Lambert said. “Of course, Moore has good ball skills also. Lewis is a little bit better cover guy overall and he’s instinctive. His size is such a big plus with that height, long arms, long legs. Moore was a little shorter guy. Lewis has all the measurables for the position.”The Texans love big corners. Lewis and Virginia's Chris Cook are real possibilities on the 3rd day.

beerlover
03-19-2010, 11:28 PM

The Texans love big corners. Lewis and Virginia's Chris Cook are real possibilities on the 3rd day.

what is the 3rd day now, start of the 4th rd?

TheRealJoker
03-19-2010, 11:33 PM
What round is Lewis projected to go in? Texans love CB prospects that "fit the mold".

kiwitexansfan
03-19-2010, 11:55 PM
what is the 3rd day now, start of the 4th rd?

Thats right.

Day 1 - 1st round

Day 2 - 2nd and 3rd

Day 3 - 4th through 7th

steelbtexan
03-20-2010, 12:20 AM
What round is Lewis projected to go in? Texans love CB prospects that "fit the mold".

Somewhere between the 3-5th rd.

He would be a bargain in the 4th. IMO

otisbean
03-20-2010, 06:41 AM

While I'd love to improve the OL, there's a simple solution to teams run blitzing on first down- throw the ball. Take advantage of their aggressiveness with screens, ect...

TheRealJoker
03-20-2010, 10:40 AM
While I'd love to improve the OL, there's a simple solution to teams run blitzing on first down- throw the ball. Take advantage of their aggressiveness with screens, ect...

That's exactly how we opened things up with our game against the Bengals. Coincidentally, I thought that was the best overall game the team played all year, especially when factoring in that it was a road game and the Bengals were on a hot streak.

First play: AJ breaks it open with a screen pass!!!

Throughout the game: Slaton makes them pay with screen passes!!!

IDEXAN
03-20-2010, 01:43 PM

The Texans love big corners. Lewis and Virginia's Chris Cook are real possibilities on the 3rd day.

But wouldn't you agree that their 2 best corners ever, Robinson and Glenn, were both on the smallish side ?

TheRealJoker
03-20-2010, 02:02 PM
They were also "premium picks". Texans have only picked 1 DB in the 1st round (Robinson) and Aaron Glenn was a former 1st round pick/pro bowler made available in the expansion draft.

The next highest DB we have taken in the draft was 3rd round Antwaun Molden. Unless you want to count giving up a 2nd and 3rd rounder for PBurnt.

beerlover
03-20-2010, 02:12 PM
They were also "premium picks". Texans have only picked 1 DB in the 1st round (Robinson) and Aaron Glenn was a former 1st round pick/pro bowler made available in the expansion draft.

The next highest DB we have taken in the draft was 3rd round Antwaun Molden. Unless you want to count giving up a 2nd and 3rd rounder for PBurnt.

different regime.

In regards to Texan plans of bringing in draft prospects for private workouts they remain just that private & shroud'ed in secrecy :spy:

Lucky
03-20-2010, 02:49 PM
But wouldn't you agree that their 2 best corners ever, Robinson and Glenn, were both on the smallish side ?

different regime.

The Texans have drafted 4 CBs during the Smithiak era. Fred Bennett ('07), Antwaun Molden ('08), Glover Quin and Brice McCain ('09). All but McCain are in the 6 ft 200 lb range. As far as CB is concerned, size matters. And while I wouldn't describe potential 1st rounders like Joe Haden and Kyle Wilson as small, but they aren't prototypical corners the Texans are looking for.

Personally, I don't see height playing a major factor in CB play. Most passes are chest high or below. And I've seen shorter corners play press coverage as well as, or better, than big CBs. But, I'm guessing that the Texans feel differently. Which is why I don't think these mocks that have the Texans taking Kyle Wilson (or Earl Thomas) are very realistic.

m5kwatts
03-20-2010, 03:30 PM
The Texans have drafted 4 CBs during the Smithiak era. Fred Bennett ('07), Antwaun Molden ('08), Glover Quin and Brice McCain ('09). All but McCain are in the 6 ft 200 lb range. As far as CB is concerned, size matters. And while I wouldn't describe potential 1st rounders like Joe Haden and Kyle Wilson as small, but they aren't prototypical corners the Texans are looking for.

Personally, I don't see height playing a major factor in CB play. Most passes are chest high or below. And I've seen shorter corners play press coverage as well as, or better, than big CBs. But, I'm guessing that the Texans feel differently. Which is why I don't think these mocks that have the Texans taking Kyle Wilson (or Earl Thomas) are very realistic.

I agree with your sentiment but I don't think it applies to Earl Thomas... he won't be there at 20 but if he was they'd run their pick to the podium.

Hottoddie
03-20-2010, 06:54 PM

Uh-oh! Could this mean we're taking Taylor Mays?:user:

rmartin65
03-20-2010, 09:17 PM
The Texans were at Armanti Edwards' Pro Day.

http://www.jbscouting.com/index.php/blog/568-edwards-wk9

NitroGSXR
03-21-2010, 03:51 AM

I wonder what we were looking at him at for? QB? WR/PR?

Seems implied that we only had a scout there?

rarazz00
03-22-2010, 12:22 AM
Anyone know of any prospects having any private workouts with the Texans? I've heard of 2 so far, I figured there needed to be a thread here reporting these workouts when they happen... heres what I've found (not much yet)

http://www.twitter.com/NFLDraftBible/status/10683955546

http://www.twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL

Add more if you hear anything!

I believe I read somewhere the Johnathan Dwyer is scheduled for a Texans visit

painekiller
03-22-2010, 03:44 AM
This is the list of the people the Texans visited last season

Visited with Texans at Combine:
William Moore (S, Mizzou)
Nic Harris (S/LB, Oklahoma)
Rashad Johnson (S, Alabama)
Chip Vaughn (S, Wake Forest)
Michael Mitchell (S Ohio University)
Malcolm Jenkins (CB, Ohio State)
Vontae Davis (CB, Illinois)
Keenan Lewis (CB, Oregon State)
Coye Francies (CB, San Jose States)
Robert Ayers (DE, Tennessee)
Connor Barwin (DE/OLB/TE, Cincinnati)
Everette Brown (DE, Florida State)
Cody Brown (DE, Connecticut)
Gerald McGrath (LB, Southern Miss)
Clay Matthews (LB, USC)
Larry English (LB/DE UNI)
Jason Watkins (OL, Florida)
Jaimie Thomas (OL, Maryland)
Quan Cosby (WR, Texas)
Louis Murphy (WR, Florida)
Juaquin Iglesias (WR, Oklahoma)
Derrick Williams (WR, Penn State)
Jeremy Maclin (WR, Mizzou)
Jared Cook (TE, South Carolina)

Also rumored to have visited the Texans at the Combine where
Demetrius Byrd, WR, LSU
Andre Brown, RB, NC State

Schedule Visits W/Texans (only guys not already mentioned)

E.J. Biggers CB Western Michigan
Greg Tolar CB St. Paulís 5-11, 191 4.35 He intercepted 14 career passes
Mohammed Massaquoi, WR, Georgia
Johnny Knox WR Abilene Christian
Jamaal Westerman DE/LB Rutgers
Tony Carter CB Florida State
Tyrell Williams TE Stephen F Austin
Jason McCourty CB Rutgers
Andy Levitre OG Oregon St.
Chase Clement QB Rice
James Casey TE Rice
Jarett Dillard WR Rice
Mark Hafner TE Houston
Phillip Hunt DE Houston
Bobby Reid QB Texas Southern
Melvin Bennett DE Texas A&M

Brandon Myers TE Iowa

Why do i post this list? Because the guys that get reported as having visited the Texans do not get picked by us for the most part. Casey only came in because the Texans brought in all the Owls and the Cougers in the draft for a PR move.

HOU-TEX
03-22-2010, 10:44 AM

Kind of a mediocre verticle for someone that size. :thinking:

TheRealJoker
03-22-2010, 11:11 AM
I think I remember lots of forum members being upset that they didn't even send a scout to USC's pro day last season. But they already knew what they were getting from the talent out there (Cushing).

It seems the Texans philosophy is very heavily based on gameday film rather than in person individual workouts/interviews. They don't want to tip their hand by showing too much interest in the players they actually want.

beerlover
03-22-2010, 01:34 PM
like ninja assassins :aikido:

RT22
03-22-2010, 11:24 PM
*Morgan Burnett, Georgia Tech, 6-2, 209, 2-3
Burnett had a coming-out party as a sophomore in 2008, when his seven interceptions tied for No. 1 in the nation and he lead his team with 93 tackles while earning an All-American nod. His production wasn't as impressive last year, with 85 tackles and four interceptions, but he decided it was time to turn pro anyway. He does just about everything well, with excellent awareness and reaction in both man and zone coverage and can be intimidating as a hitter. His first career touchdown came against 2009 No. 1 draft pick Matthew Stafford. Burnett was unable to run at the combine because of a pulled hamstring, but he posted a very impressive 4.42 at his pro day, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He also went 11 feet in the broad jump and soared 39Ĺ inches in the vertical jump -- both very strong numbers for a safety. Burnett told the paper he has private workouts scheduled with Houston and San Diego.

rarazz00
03-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Burnett had a coming-out party as a sophomore in 2008, when his seven interceptions tied for No. 1 in the nation and he lead his team with 93 tackles while earning an All-American nod. His production wasn't as impressive last year, with 85 tackles and four interceptions, but he decided it was time to turn pro anyway. He does just about everything well, with excellent awareness and reaction in both man and zone coverage and can be intimidating as a hitter. His first career touchdown came against 2009 No. 1 draft pick Matthew Stafford. Burnett was unable to run at the combine because of a pulled hamstring, but he posted a very impressive 4.42 at his pro day, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He also went 11 feet in the broad jump and soared 39Ĺ inches in the vertical jump -- both very strong numbers for a safety. Burnett told the paper he has private workouts scheduled with Houston and San Diego.

I'm warming up to this kid....2nd rounder for sure...

HOU-TEX
03-23-2010, 11:08 AM

I like this guy, I'd be happy if we ended up with him in the 2nd

HuttoKarl
03-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Thats right.

Day 1 - 1st round

Day 2 - 2nd and 3rd

Day 3 - 4th through 7th

I freaking love draft weekend...my wife doesn't understand it, but I kinda wish there were two drafts a year.

m5kwatts
03-23-2010, 12:06 PM
McClain posted some tidbits from the owners meetings...addressed workouts with the Texans

By the way, because so many of you have asked, I'm going to do everything possible to inform you who the Texans are bringing in before the draft. When I know, you'll know.

Right now, I know one player coming in is Fresno State running back Ryan Mathews. No secret there. I expect them to bring in or to work out everyone from C.J. Spiller to Toby Gerhart when it comes to backs.

As for cornerbacks, I'd start with Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty and Dominique Franks.

Because they love Earl Thomas, I'm sure they'll bring in the Texas free safety. Probably Longhorns DT Lamarr Houston, too.

Anyway, you get the picture. Once I return home from the league meetings, and they set up the players to come in, I'll try to find them out for you.

Scout.com reports that Idaho G Mike Iupati is going to work out for the Texans. They're one of seven teams wanting to get another look at him. I still don't see them drafting a guard in the first round, but they're covering their bases, which is wise.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2010/03/kubiak_says_kris_brown_will_ha.html

was385
03-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Texans have apparently called the agent (http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_football/2010/03/live-chat-reminder-today-11-am.html) of UConn CB Reggie McClain and may set up an official visit or a private workout.

McClain is 5'9 194 lbs and probably would have gone undrafted before running a 4.42 40-yard, 38" vertical, and 23 reps at the UConn pro day. He's a late round prospect whose value is mostly as a punt returner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY_nxPeVw-c

Lucky
03-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Right now, I know one player coming in is Fresno State running back Ryan Mathews. No secret there. I expect them to bring in or to work out everyone from C.J. Spiller to Toby Gerhart when it comes to backs.

As for cornerbacks, I'd start with Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty and Dominique Franks.

Because they love Earl Thomas, I'm sure they'll bring in the Texas free safety. Probably Longhorns DT Lamarr Houston, too.

Anyway, you get the picture. Once I return home from the league meetings, and they set up the players to come in, I'll try to find them out for you.
Basically, McClain is clueless as to whom the Texans will bring in. So, he'll just throw some names up on the internet for now, and find out the specifics when the Texans send out a press release.

What a joke...

JB
03-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Basically, McClain is clueless as to whom the Texans will bring in. So, he'll just throw some names up on the internet for now, and find out the specifics when the Texans send out a press release.

What a joke...

nothing new here. He has been a joke since the McButts left for Tickasee!

kiwitexansfan
03-29-2010, 09:12 PM
I freaking love draft weekend...my wife doesn't understand it, but I kinda wish there were two drafts a year.

I love it too.

At least this year I won't be getting up at 2.30am to watch the draft unfold online.

At least that is one perk of living stateside.

ArlingtonTexan
04-01-2010, 01:43 PM
per Dallas radio interview (theticket.com Norm H.)

Brandon LaFeell WR LSU has a workout scheduled with the Texans

Mailman
04-01-2010, 01:58 PM
LaFell is from Houston, too, a Lamar Redskin like Brian Orakpo.

ArlingtonTexan
04-01-2010, 02:02 PM
LaFell is from Houston, too, a Lamar Redskin like Brian Orakpo.

Neither will count against the 30 they are allowed to bring in because they are technically "local"

ArlingtonTexan
04-06-2010, 11:35 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Pair-of-UConn-prospects-lining-up-visits.html

Robert Mcclain Cb UConn

Later, McClain has official visits lined up with Houston, Detroit and Jacksonville. Some teams are looking at him as a cornerback while others are talking about his special teams capabilities first. Watches had him as fast as 4.42 second in the 40-yard dash at his pro day.

Robert McClain CB, Connecticut
NFP Grade: 5.9

Scouting Report:
Robert McClain: No. 42, CB, 5-9 196

A physical tackler for his size, McClain does a nice job breaking down in space and bringing his legs through contact and then wrapping up. He isn't afraid to stick his head into the action. However, he struggles to find the ball in the pass game and lacks awareness when his back is to the football. He has a tendency to open up his hips too quickly in his drop. He struggles to redirect, cleanly change directions and maintain his balance. His feet can get overextended, and it takes him too long to recover and get back to up speed when trying to close on the ball. But he's a good athlete who has impressive initial burst and range. In addition, McClain showcases good body control and lateral quickness as a punt returner, and he has the ability to help out in all special teams packages.

Grade: 5.9

HOU-TEX
04-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Dunno if it's been mentioned or not, but here's a report of S Robert Johnson visiting.

Brad Biggs, of the National Football Post, reports Utah S Robert Johnson is scheduled to visit the Houston Texans, Miami Dolphins and Seattle Seahawks, according to a league source.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=2

Goldensilence
04-06-2010, 05:38 PM

If I was to speculate as to why the typically like larger corners is because they are usually more reliable in run support.

Rey
04-06-2010, 05:54 PM
If I was to speculate as to why the typically like larger corners is because they are usually more reliable in run support.

I don't think the Texans know what they want as far as defense goes. I think they pretty much just draft whoever they think will help them the most...

thunderkyss
04-06-2010, 06:36 PM

I agree. Champ Bailey also fits in that group. Shanahan & Kubiak gave up a bona-fide stud to get Bailey, I think, because they had so much trouble trying to find that franchise corner on their own.

I know we've had needs to address in previous drafts, but I am surprised they haven't made a play on a CB earlier in this regime.

threetoedpete
04-08-2010, 08:09 PM

I got basted for including Cook in my mock. thanks for that. And agreed. they love big corners. Might be they objected to how high I took him. However, it is a need. I also doubt the success of sticking one of the top five out there and expecting anything but a struggle. Cook bombs out at Cb got a pretty fair FS candidate.

steelbtexan
04-08-2010, 09:20 PM
I got basted for including Cook in my mock. thanks for that. And agreed. they love big corners. Might be they objected to how high I took him. However, it is a need. I also doubt the success of sticking one of the top five out there and expecting anything but a struggle. Cook bombs out at Cb got a pretty fair FS candidate.

I would be very happy if Smithiak were able to take Cook in the 3rd and Lewis in the 4th. Both have the ability to play CB/S. The one that plays CB best gets the job. The other one moves to FS. The competition would be fierce in TC.

TTP, How would you like it if the draft fell this way for the Texans?

Rd.1 Iupati
Rd.2 Best RB (Tate)
Rd.3 Cook
Rd.4 Lewis
Rd.5 Jeff Owens DT Ga.

It's unlikely Iupati falls to the the Texans at 20. But if he does the rest of these choices are very realistic. IMHO

dalemurphy
04-09-2010, 09:31 AM
I agree. Champ Bailey also fits in that group. Shanahan & Kubiak gave up a bona-fide stud to get Bailey, I think, because they had so much trouble trying to find that franchise corner on their own.

I know we've had needs to address in previous drafts, but I am surprised they haven't made a play on a CB earlier in this regime.

They absolutely robbed Washington in that deal! Getting a young, elite CB plus a second round pick for a RB is a deal any good GM would make 10 out of 10 times.

In addition to every other argument, realize a CBs career is usually much, much longer than a RBs.

BigBull17
04-09-2010, 11:10 AM
I would be very happy if Smithiak were able to take Cook in the 3rd and Lewis in the 4th. Both have the ability to play CB/S. The one that plays CB best gets the job. The other one moves to FS. The competition would be fierce in TC.

Rd.1 Iupati
Rd.2 Best RB (Tate)
Rd.3 Cook
Rd.4 Lewis
Rd.5 Jeff Owens DT Ga.

It's unlikely Iupati falls to the the Texans at 20. But if he does the rest of these choices are very realistic. IMHO

I totally don't get the love for Iupati. He is stiff and VERY raw. If we walk out of the first round wiith him, I'll be a very sad man.

ArlingtonTexan
04-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Mod request for all:

Keep this is to the private workouts as much as possible. Plenty of places to make your Texans wish list and get feedback on them.

beerlover
04-09-2010, 03:06 PM
could mean they don't see Thomas being available #20 so address need later 4th/5th rd.

Texans | Scheduled to meet with R. Johnson
Comment (0)
Fri, 09 Apr 2010 10:09:24 -0700

Aaron Wilson, of the National Football Post, reports the Houston Texans are scheduled to meet with Utah S Robert Johnson Monday, April 12, and Tuesday, April 14.

barrett
04-10-2010, 01:46 AM
excellent late rounder from what I just saw. his short shuttle and three cone were terrific.

wish all the scouting videos were this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ourKzKOnY) good.

CoastalTexan
04-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Johnson looks like the kinda guy we need!

beerlover
04-10-2010, 01:00 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2010m4d10-Texans-OTA-dates-announced?cid=examiner-email

Extra point: Utah free safety Robert Johnson will visit the Texans Monday and Tuesday according to a report by Aaron Wilson. NFLDraftScout.com has a sixth round grade on Johnson (6-2, 203) but according to Rob Rang, Johnson is one of the fastest rising names in the draft because of his strong Pro Day performance. Johnson was not invited to the scouting combine. Texans second year cornerback Brice McCain was a college teammate of Johnson.

doing our mock draft the discussion was taking him w/5th rd. pick. looks like we could move him to a 4th?

rmartin65
04-10-2010, 01:03 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2010m4d10-Texans-OTA-dates-announced?cid=examiner-email

doing our mock draft the discussion was taking him w/5th rd. pick. looks like we could move him to a 4th?

Yeah, but that would suck to have to choose between Johnson and Owens...

Lucky
04-11-2010, 12:13 AM

According to Scout.com (http://profootball.scout.com/2/961051.html), The Texans will bring Edwards into Reliant as one of their 30 official visits:

The ascension that former West Virginia (http://westvirginia.scout.com/) quarterback Pat White (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=4831946) enjoyed during last yearís NFL Draft process landed him in the second round. And just like White, Appalachian State quarterback Armanti Edwards (http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=4371101) brings a similar skill set, and maybe even more versatility, to the field. But while White was selected in the second frame, Edwards brings even more value to an NFL team as heís projected to be a fourth round draft pick.

Even though Edwards isnít projected to be a high-round selection, heís had a hectic schedule this off-season. Heís had private workouts with the Carolina Panthers (http://car.scout.com/), Indianapolis Colts (http://ind.scout.com/), Jacksonville Jaguars (http://jac.scout.com/), Miami Dolphins (http://mia.scout.com/) and New England Patriots (http://nwe.scout.com/). Heís already visited the Atlanta Falcons (http://atl.scout.com/), Denver Broncos (http://den.scout.com/) and Washington Redskins (http://was.scout.com/). And, Scout.com has learned that Edwards will visit the Houston Texans (http://hou.scout.com/) on April 11th and 12th and the St. Louis Rams (http://stl.scout.com/) on April 13th and 14th.
And while an official visit has not been reported, Scout.com (http://profootball.scout.com/2/959004.html) also lists the Texans among teams showing interest in New Mexico center Erik Cook.

Finally, Boise State CB Kyle Wilson is on a multi-city pre-draft tour (http://profootball.scout.com/2/960958.html). However, Scout.com does not list the Texans among the teams Wilson has or will visit prior to the draft.

Maddict5
04-11-2010, 12:56 AM
excellent late rounder from what I just saw. his short shuttle and three cone were terrific.

wish all the scouting videos were this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ourKzKOnY) good.

i was justgoing to post how the hell is he only rate as a 5th rounder with coverage instincts, productions & decent athleticism then they showed a couple not so good angles in the 'speed' section. still i like him and would be happy with him in the 3rd/4th which is where he'll go imo.

and fwiw, two of our secondary selections last yr (quin and troy nolan had excellent scouting videos similiar to that. heres hoping he's the 3rd

barrett
04-11-2010, 01:56 AM
yup. I remember watching Quin's and being really floored with his aggressive style. Didn't get a sense of how good he was in man to man and his nose for nocking the ball away. The main thing I remember thinking (and I'd love to know how to dig up that old post) was that he seems to just fly to the ball like a maniac and just nail guys.

I'm getting into this reel thing. Hardesty is the one that I'm just crazy about.

here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJJiHPqy8xE) his if you haven't seen it.

NitroGSXR
04-11-2010, 02:16 AM
yup. I remember watching Quin's and being really floored with his aggressive style. Didn't get a sense of how good he was in man to man and his nose for nocking the ball away. The main thing I remember thinking (and I'd love to know how to dig up that old post) was that he seems to just fly to the ball like a maniac and just nail guys.

I'm getting into this reel thing. Hardesty is the one that I'm just crazy about.

He appears deceptively slow. Long strides maybe? He's got some sharp moves then he takes off like a bat in hell. I like him ok. I hope we snag two RBs in this draft as well as sign some UDFAs. We need some heavy competition going on that front.

Our run game was dreadful last season as we all know... Interior line or not... absolutely dreadful.

Maddict5
04-11-2010, 07:19 AM
i agree. i dont see any explosion or anything to get excited about with hardesty

otisbean
04-11-2010, 07:36 AM

Height can be a factor in the red zone on fades and jump balls.

The Pencil Neck
04-11-2010, 11:28 AM
What I've seen of Hardesty "highlights" have left me uninspired. He doesn't seem to break a lot of tackles and he doesn't seem to be all that fast.

76Texan
04-11-2010, 12:22 PM
i was justgoing to post how the hell is he only rate as a 5th rounder with coverage instincts, productions & decent athleticism then they showed a couple not so good angles in the 'speed' section. still i like him and would be happy with him in the 3rd/4th which is where he'll go imo.

and fwiw, two of our secondary selections last yr (quin and troy nolan had excellent scouting videos similiar to that. heres hoping he's the 3rd

I had Johnson on my radar when I scouted Sean Smith last year (when I also noticed McCain.)

I can't believe he wasn't invited to the combine.

I would be happy with him in the 3rd/4th as well.
A good possibility of becoming a starter in the NFL.

IMO, this year Secondary class is much better than last; which some of us had mentioned even since last year.

BTW. Nice vid, barrett.

threetoedpete
04-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Rd.1 Iupati
Rd.2 Best RB (Tate)
Rd.3 Cook
Rd.4 Lewis
Rd.5 Jeff Owens DT Ga.

If he falls. Alot of folks have San Fransisco taking him at the seventeen now. Makes sense for them as it would for us. Yeah I'd be happy. The wife would be walking funny for a couple of days.

ArlingtonTexan
04-12-2010, 08:32 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Dominique-Franks-has-worked-out-for-the-Patriots.html

We're told that the Baltimore Ravens, Minnesota Vikings, Houston Texans and the Pittsburgh Steelers are interested in Franks.

The 5-foot-11, 194-pound All-Big 12 selection. draws high marks for his instincts and athleticism.

He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds at the NFL scouting combine, registering a 33 1/2 inch vertical leap and a 9-9 broad jump.

m5kwatts
04-12-2010, 08:51 PM

Beating Kareem Jackson on that route was pretty impressive considering it was against a 1st round corner.

kiwitexansfan
04-12-2010, 09:23 PM
According to Scout.com (http://profootball.scout.com/2/961051.html), The Texans will bring Edwards into Reliant as one of their 30 official visits:.

I really like Edwards, he is VERY mobile, great leader and surprisingly good with the ball for a guy who you could argue is a run first QB.

rmartin65
04-12-2010, 09:29 PM
I really like Edwards, he is VERY mobile, great leader and surprisingly good with the ball for a guy who you could argue is a run first QB.

I think it is beyond arguing that he is a run first QB. But you are right, he does throw the ball well, and has off the charts leadership ability.

painekiller
04-12-2010, 09:35 PM

I have not heard of anyone looking at him as a QB, only as a WR, what am I missing here?

rmartin65
04-12-2010, 09:50 PM
I have not heard of anyone looking at him as a QB, only as a WR, what am I missing here?

I see him as a QB. I am not a fan of turning successful college QBs into other positions. It just does not work well most of the time.

Yes, he is most likely going to be taken as a WR. But I personally believe that his most successful position in the pros will be as a gimmick QB.

76Texan
04-13-2010, 03:14 PM
I see him as a QB. I am not a fan of turning successful college QBs into other positions. It just does not work well most of the time.

Yes, he is most likely going to be taken as a WR. But I personally believe that his most successful position in the pros will be as a gimmick QB.

Never seen the guy play before, but wow!
I just watch him play one half of football and came away TOTALLY IMPRESSED.
This guy is a player.
I don't care. Put him at QB, RB or WR, wherever.
But he can really play QB.
OK, so maybe I'm jumping the gun here.
I'd really like to take a longer look at the guy, probably that's what the best course is. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

HOU-TEX
04-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Bo Marchionte, NFLDraftBible.com, reports the Houston Texans have shown interest in Hampton RB LaMarcus Coker.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

kiwitexansfan
04-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Never seen the guy play before, but wow!
I just watch him play one half of football and came away TOTALLY IMPRESSED.
This guy is a player.
I don't care. Put him at QB, RB or WR, wherever.
But he can really play QB.
OK, so maybe I'm jumping the gun here.
I'd really like to take a longer look at the guy, probably that's what the best course is. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

If we can get him in the 5th or 6th he would be well worth the pick for his versatility and protential.

I feel he'll go early than that to one of those teams who like to run the Wildcat, he will be an amazing Wildcat QB.

steelbtexan
04-13-2010, 07:19 PM

Best RB in this draft

Character issues will make him a 6th rd pick.

It would be great to see an all Vol RB corps. Foster,draft Hardesty in the 3rd and Coker in the 6th. Putting Slaton wthe those guys and you have a deep talented RB corps.

I've been calling for Smithiak to take a chance on Coker. I appears they might be willing to take that chance.

Lucky
04-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Best RB in this draft
Huh??? What would make you think that?

Rey
04-13-2010, 07:56 PM
After reading a little about Coker I can see why the Texans would show intrest in him even though he is troubled...

http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2010/01/tennessees_lamarcus_coker_has.html

"My counselor did not think I had a marijuana problem," Coker said. "She said it was depression. This was around the time the economy was going bad and both of my parents were laid off from General Motors. I was real stressed. I did not cope the correct way."

As to why he kept smoking, knowing he would get in trouble again, Coker said: "I had reached a point where I was sabotaging myself. I drifted into my own world. I was not hanging out with teammates and the people I should as a University of Tennessee football player. I felt stresses that I didn't think anyone would understand."

Coker worked his way back onto the field. There was another drug test before the South Carolina game, but the results wouldn't come back for a week.

Coker had two big plays, helping Tennessee to an overtime victory. In the locker room, Fulmer handed him the game ball.

"I knew it was my last game there," he said. "No one else knew. I knew I had failed the drug test."

Now he struggles to explain why he was so drawn to the drug that proved to be his undoing.

"The coaches knew I had a problem, and they did everything within their power to help, but I wasn't mature enough that I could accept help," Coker said. "When someone has an addiction no one can help them if they don't want to be helped. I was at that point."

Fulmer had a special fondness for Coker. Not only was he a superb athlete, he was a good student and one of the more articulate, insightful and thoughtful players on the team.

Heading into the 2009 season, Rose selected Coker to be a team captain.

"That was a very emotional time," Coker said. "Even here at Antioch, I wasn't a team captain. My whole life people told me I had leadership qualities and that I just needed to tap into it. Being named a captain, that's when things changed. I was already heading in the right direction, but it catapulted me even further."

This season Coker was the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference's leading rusher, totaling 1,027 yards and six touchdowns for the Pirates, who finished with a 5-6 record.

He is hoping NFL teams will recognize the changes in his personal life.

"It's hard to just say something that will make everybody believe you," he said. "The only thing I can do is keep doing the right things."

In 2008, Chris Johnson set an NFL Combine record by running the 40-yard dash in 4.24 seconds. At the East Coast Bowl in Petersburg, Va., last month, Coker ran the 40 in 4.28.

steelbtexan
04-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Huh??? What would make you think that?

I remember him from Tennessee. He was the best RB on a team that included Foster and Hardesty.

He runs hard between the tackles and is a big play waiting to happen.

Coker has Chris Johnson/Spiller speed and runs harder between the tackles than Spiller.

Thanks for the article Rey.

rmartin65
04-13-2010, 08:17 PM
I remember him from Tennessee. He was the best RB on a team that included Foster and Hardesty.

He runs hard between the tackles and is a big play waiting to happen.

Coker has Chris Johnson/Spiller speed and runs harder between the tackles than Spiller.

Thanks for the article Rey.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. He has talent, but is nowhere near the top RB in the draft. I dont have him in the top 10 even.

If he was so good, why didn't he own at the FCS level? I watched some Hampton games, he did not impress me that much.

kiwitexansfan
04-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. He has talent, but is nowhere near the top RB in the draft. I dont have him in the top 10 even.

If he was so good, why didn't he own at the FCS level? I watched some Hampton games, he did not impress me that much.

I wondered the same thing looking at the stats. He hasn't scored many TDs for a breakaway back playing at a lower level.

barrett
04-17-2010, 04:56 PM
He appears deceptively slow. Long strides maybe? He's got some sharp moves then he takes off like a bat in hell. I like him ok. I hope we snag two RBs in this draft as well as sign some UDFAs. We need some heavy competition going on that front.

Our run game was dreadful last season as we all know... Interior line or not... absolutely dreadful.

You're not alone in that opinion. I recognize that. I see a big guy with great vision and an extra gear who understands the system perfectly.

steelbtexan
04-17-2010, 06:42 PM

I will defer to you on FCS level guys.

Coker has the most potential of all of the late rd RB's. Would you agree?

rmartin65
04-17-2010, 06:56 PM
I will defer to you on FCS level guys.

Coker has the most potential of all of the late rd RB's. Would you agree?

Hmm, hard to quantify potential. But he is a player, that is for sure. I would not put his speed at CJ/Spiller range, but he is above average. Maybe MJD speed? He is a willing up the gut runner, but I do not think he will be successful at it in the pros. This limits him to a 3rd back type role. But the team that uses him efficiently will be getting a definite boost to their offense. I give him a solid 7th round grade, but could see him going in the late 6th.

A FCS back to look at is Northern Arizona's Alex Henderson. I just reviewed my notes on him (I am making a final update to my small school board), and had to review some tape to see if my notes were accurate. They were, this kid should stick in the pros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxZVcujNhOg

El Tejano
04-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Hmm, hard to quantify potential. But he is a player, that is for sure. I would not put his speed at CJ/Spiller range, but he is above average. Maybe MJD speed? He is a willing up the gut runner, but I do not think he will be successful at it in the pros. This limits him to a 3rd back type role. But the team that uses him efficiently will be getting a definite boost to their offense. I give him a solid 7th round grade, but could see him going in the late 6th.

A FCS back to look at is Northern Arizona's Alex Henderson. I just reviewed my notes on him (I am making a final update to my small school board), and had to review some tape to see if my notes were accurate. They were, this kid should stick in the pros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxZVcujNhOg

Reminds me of Jordan Scott RB from Colgate.
Great find bro. This dude looks pretty sick.

Texans34Life
04-20-2010, 12:44 AM

NFL | Three showing interest in R. Stephens
Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:38:11 -0400

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Tribune, reports the Cincinnati Bengals, Houston Texans and Miai Dolphins have shown interest in Iowa State OL Reggie Stephens.

NFL | Duhart receiving interest
Sun, 18 Apr 2010 21:50:38 -0400

KFFL has learned the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Kansas City Chiefs, Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Jacksonville Jaguars, Arizona Cardinals, Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Buffalo Bills, Oakland Raiders, New York Jets, Minnesota Vikings, New England Patriots, Houston Texans, New York Jets, Minnesota Vikings and Indianapolis Colts have conducted interviews with Valdosta State DT Tommie Duhart. The Cleveland Browns, St. Louis Rams and Seattle Seahawks have also had contact with Duhart.

NFL | Lindsay receiving interest
Sun, 18 Apr 2010 21:49:36 -0400

KFFL has learned the Green Bay Packers, Carolina Panthers, Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals, Houston Texans, Miami Dolphins, Atlanta Falcons, Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers and Jacksonville Jaguars have shown interest in East Carolina RB Dominique Lindsay.

Texans34Life
04-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Texans | B. Joseph works out for team
Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:49:16 -0400

Justin VanFulpen, of NFL Draft Bible, reports Sam Houston State QB Blake Joseph had a personal workout with the Houston Texans Tuesday, April 20.

J_R
04-22-2010, 12:49 AM
RavensInsider (http://twitter.com/RavensInsider)

Maryland quarterback Chris Turner got a call from the Houston Texans this week. Probably will be an undrafted free agent.

ArlingtonTexan
04-22-2010, 09:02 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/21/pre-draft-visits-recap-afc/

Pre-Draft visits recap: AFC
Posted by Evan Silva on April 21, 2010 10:21 AM ET
Each NFL team is allowed 30 pre-draft visitors to the team's facility, and an unlimited number of "local" visitors and private workouts. We thought it would be interesting to compile as much information on these visits as possible. We'll check after the draft to see what teams chose primarily off their visit list.

This is not intended to be a complete list, but we did the best we could.

* = Confirmed "local" visitor
** = Believed to be private workout only

Houston Texans

Bruce Campbell, offensive tackle, Maryland.
**Jonathan Dwyer, running back, Georgia Tech.
Armanti Edwards, quarterback, Appalachian State.
**Mike Iupati, offensive guard, Idaho.
Robert Johnson, safety, Utah.
*Brandon LaFell, wide receiver LSU.
Marc Mariani, wide receiver, Montana.
Ryan Mathews, running back, Fresno State.
*Kevin Matthews, center, Texas A&M.
Robert McClain, cornerback, Connecticut.
Kade Weston, defensive tackle, Georgia