PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Whitehurst

infantrycak
03-17-2010, 05:36 PM
WTF?

From profootballtalk

ESPN's John Clayton reports that the Seahawks have obtained Whitehurst, a restricted free agent, from the Chargers. Seattle will move down 20 picks in the second round of the 2010 draft and give up a third-round pick in 2011 to get San Diego's third-string quarterback.

But that's not the costly part.

The Seahawks have agreed to terms on a two-year deal with Whitehurst that is expected to pay him $5 million-per-year. Yikes.

It's a huge gamble considering Whitehurst has not attempted a regular season pass as a pro. But he should fairly soon with that contract.

Virtually move down a round, give up a 3rd and $5 mil per year? Mmmmkay.

Texan4Ever
03-17-2010, 05:40 PM
He's a developmental quarterback but could this possibly mean that Pete Carroll is assuming the Rams are taking Bradford and that Jimmy Clausen isn't worth drafting?

I say they overpaid for Whitehurst but if he turns out like Matt Schaub (who at least played with the Falcons) then they've got a steal. Right now I'm scratching my head, but if Carroll knows what he's doing then so be it.

Goatcheese
03-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Did Seattle hire Asserly or something? :thisbig:

infantrycak
03-17-2010, 05:55 PM
He's a developmental quarterback but could this possibly mean that Pete Carroll is assuming the Rams are taking Bradford and that Jimmy Clausen isn't worth drafting?

I say they overpaid for Whitehurst but if he turns out like Matt Schaub (who at least played with the Falcons) then they've got a steal. Right now I'm scratching my head, but if Carroll knows what he's doing then so be it.

That's the thing, he was a 3rd round pick to begin with. He has since attempted 0 NFL passes and somehow his value is increased? Schaub had at least flashed brilliance.

LonerATO
03-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Whitehurst was touted as a developmental QB with all the right skills and had a strong arm. I think this is a good move by the Seahawks to get a guy that can start if Hasselbeck goes down or can start next year. Seahawks can now focus on OL/DL.

playa465
03-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Why did the Seahawks have to agree to a trade if he was a RFA? Couldn't they have just offered up more cash this year (no cap) to assure the Chargers wouldn't match, or make it incentive based in year 2 that would allow him to make more cash than the Chargers could afford? Either way the Chargers are set with their 1st 2 picks coming within the top 40. Some teams have all the luck :crying:

The Pencil Neck
03-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Why did the Seahawks have to agree to a trade if he was a RFA? Couldn't they have just offered up more cash this year (no cap) to assure the Chargers wouldn't match, or make it incentive based in year 2 that would allow him to make more cash than the Chargers could afford? Either way the Chargers are set with their 1st 2 picks coming within the top 40. Some teams have all the luck :crying:

If he was an RFA, that doesn't mean that the Chargers just had right of first refusal. The Chargers put a draft pick tender on him so the Seahawks negotiated that pick. For example, someone could sign Demeco away from us right now. They'd just have to give us a 1st round and a 3rd round pick to do it and then we could still match the offer (I believe.) In this case, Whitehurst had some sort of draft pick tender and the Seahawks negotiated the draft picks to something other than what the original tender was.

kiwitexansfan
03-17-2010, 07:31 PM
If he was an RFA, that doesn't mean that the Chargers just had right of first refusal. The Chargers put a draft pick tender on him so the Seahawks negotiated that pick. For example, someone could sign Demeco away from us right now. They'd just have to give us a 1st round and a 3rd round pick to do it and then we could still match the offer (I believe.) In this case, Whitehurst had some sort of draft pick tender and the Seahawks negotiated the draft picks to something other than what the original tender was.

Whitehurst got the original round tender from the Chargers. The Seahawks don't have a third this year, so he signed with the Chargers who then traded him for next years third rounder and swapped positions in the second to cover the cost of the 3rd being a year off.

ChampionTexan
03-17-2010, 07:49 PM
I guess if you want a QB who looks like one of the Bee Gee's, you gotta pay for it!

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/charlie_whitehurst_sm-150x150.jpg

playa465
03-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Whitehurst got the original round tender from the Chargers. The Seahawks don't have a third this year, so he signed with the Chargers who then traded him for next years third rounder and swapped positions in the second to cover the cost of the 3rd being a year off.

Thanks for the clarification...

mexican_texan
03-17-2010, 08:55 PM
He was a hot prospect in college, an injury moved him down to the 3rd round.

edo783
03-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Not a bad pick up for the Seachickins, but the deal looks pretty wonky to me. Talk about a high risk/reward type deal.

mexican_texan
03-17-2010, 10:51 PM
As far as the salary...I think when we said Orlovsky's 3 year $9 million deal was overpaying, we were using old standards. I think the new standard is $15 million for stars, $3-$4 million for backups. In this case, it's pretty clear they like Whitehurst as a potential starter.

LonerATO
03-18-2010, 12:24 AM
I think Whitehurst will start in 2011 or possibly sooner if MH gets hurt

b0ng
03-18-2010, 01:13 AM
So Carroll has traded one of his (if not the) best d-linemen for peanuts and gave up draft picks and 5mil a year for a guy who has 0 NFL passes attempted.

Yeah.

Blake
03-18-2010, 07:50 AM
So Carroll has traded one of his (if not the) best d-linemen for peanuts and gave up draft picks and 5mil a year for a guy who has 0 NFL passes attempted.

Yeah.

I hear ya, but what were the Seahawks doing that was so special now?

Might as well let Carroll do his thing and see what happens. Or they can keep all the same players and see if they can be dead last in their division again.

b0ng
03-18-2010, 08:48 AM
I hear ya, but what were the Seahawks doing that was so special now?

Might as well let Carroll do his thing and see what happens. Or they can keep all the same players and see if they can be dead last in their division again.

How pissed would you be if we traded draft picks for. . . Charlie Batch? Actually no that wouldn't be accurate because Batch has thrown passes in the NFL. Okay how about John Parker Wilson (http://www.nfl.com/players/johnparkerwilson/profile?id=WIL729398)? I understand letting the new coach do his thing or whatever, but honestly these moves seem rather silly, giving up Darryl Tapp for Chris Clemons (Who?) and a fourth.

I mean yeah, the Sehawks weren't great last year (I think their entire O-line was injured at some point and they had Seneca Wallace starting for some games), but it's kind of silly to trade your only good D-lineman as well as some draft picks to get a guy who was a 3rd stringer. Draft picks for a 3rd stringer.

Of course now that I've done some reading I've read that the 'Hawks actually got SD's 3rd this year, and gave up their 3rd next year and swapped 2nds this year, which isn't nearly as bad.

Dutchrudder
03-18-2010, 09:51 AM
I want to know why the Texans didn't swing a deal like this with them for John David Booty. That would be awesome.

Texan4Ever
03-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Well, Pete Carroll can deal with Whitehurst as if he WAS a first round draft pick. So, does this mean that with the two picks they have they will go OT and RB or defense? :thinking:

LonerATO
03-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Well, Pete Carroll can deal with Whitehurst as if he WAS a first round draft pick. So, does this mean that with the two picks they have they will go OT and RB or defense? :thinking:

I think they go OL and DL

Ckw
03-18-2010, 11:06 AM
This is slightly off topic but does anyone else get the idea that the whole reason Carroll was trying to get Mark Sanchez to stay in school was because he already had plans to return to coach in the pros and wanted whatever team he was with to be able to draft Sanchez?

But since the Jets have him and likely aren't going to let him go, Carroll has to settle with Whitehurst.

nfldraft2010
03-19-2010, 06:25 PM

They should definitely go OT first, either Okung, Williams or Bulaga, then go after Spiller or a DL with their next pick

steelbtexan
03-19-2010, 07:16 PM
This is slightly off topic but does anyone else get the idea that the whole reason Carroll was trying to get Mark Sanchez to stay in school was because he already had plans to return to coach in the pros and wanted whatever team he was with to be able to draft Sanchez?

But since the Jets have him and likely aren't going to let him go, Carroll has to settle with Whitehurst.

This could be true. It makes sense.

Or Carroll wanted Savchez around for one more year so he could make a championship run before the NCAA came around ito investigate the USC football progam.

Ckw
03-20-2010, 10:11 AM
This could be true. It makes sense.

Or Carroll wanted Savchez around for one more year so he could make a championship run before the NCAA came around ito investigate the USC football progam.

The only reason I think it had more to do with wanting Sanchez in the pros is Carroll had to know that regardless of who his QB was this year, he wasn't going to be able to win after his defense was decimated. It is almost impossible to recover when you lose all three of your starting LBs, and I think this deal to go to the pros has been in the works for a while now. You don't just up and leave a program like USC if you don't have serious plans to go back to coach at the pro level. And I think his dream draft pick was Mark Sanchez.

Sucks for him he had to settle for Charlie Whitehurst....

steelbtexan
03-20-2010, 11:04 AM
The only reason I think it had more to do with wanting Sanchez in the pros is Carroll had to know that regardless of who his QB was this year, he wasn't going to be able to win after his defense was decimated. It is almost impossible to recover when you lose all three of your starting LBs, and I think this deal to go to the pros has been in the works for a while now. You don't just up and leave a program like USC if you don't have serious plans to go back to coach at the pro level. And I think his dream draft pick was Mark Sanchez.

Yeah that and the fact that USC lost 2 starting DL in last years draft. No team is going to play good defense losing 5 of their front 7 seven guys.

USC also lost another LB that made the JAGS team that didn't start.

Man that team was loaded. They should've won a NC that year. It makes me ? how Carroll will do as as HC in the NFL.

infantrycak
03-20-2010, 11:24 AM

I think you may be staring a little too hard at the tea leaves. I don't see how any college coach could reasonably expect not only getting a job but more importantly one that put him in position to draft a particular player. Sanchez went 5th overall as it was. Seattle for instance drafts 6th this year with both the Rams and Washington in front and in play for a QB.