PDA

View Full Version : Duane Brown Live Chat 1PM Tuesday

Blake
03-16-2010, 01:12 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/LiveChat.asp

Looks like I got the first question answered.

Blake - San Antonio, TX, US: Duane, What are the Texans planning to do to run the ball better this season? Draft better guards/center, a bigger running back, what?

Duane Brown (12:56:59 PM):
Hey fans, thanks for joining me. I look forward to answering your questions.
I think a lot of what we have to do to run the ball better comes from us up front. I think we have the guys we need. We've already added one guy extra, but I think it's more of a mentality for us than anything else that's going to help us improve. We just have to know in our minds that we can run the ball and then go out and do it.

JWarren14
03-16-2010, 02:00 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/LiveChat.asp

Looks like I got the first question answered.

Blake - San Antonio, TX, US: Duane, What are the Texans planning to do to run the ball better this season? Draft better guards/center, a bigger running back, what?

Duane Brown (12:56:59 PM):
Hey fans, thanks for joining me. I look forward to answering your questions.
I think a lot of what we have to do to run the ball better comes from us up front. I think we have the guys we need. We've already added one guy extra, but I think it's more of a mentality for us than anything else that's going to help us improve. We just have to know in our minds that we can run the ball and then go out and do it.

Oh ok, so the "I think we can...I think we can...I think we can" strategy who would of thought that would solve our answers in the run game, new nickname for our OLine..."The little engine that could."

Dutchrudder
03-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Let's see, we currently don't have three of our OLinemen from last year signed, Pitts, Salaam and Pittman. One of those was a starter for sure, the other two were backups. We signed one guy, who even the coach said would not be a guaranteed starter.

Yeah.... I think they still have some work to do on that line, and they can start by re-signing Pitts.

The Pencil Neck
03-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Let's see, we currently don't have three of our OLinemen from last year signed, Pitts, Salaam and Pittman. One of those was a starter for sure, the other two were backups. We signed one guy, who even the coach said would not be a guaranteed starter.

Yeah.... I think they still have some work to do on that line, and they can start by re-signing Pitts.

Does re-signing Pitts solve anything, though? With that microfracture surgery, he's probably lucky if he's PUP'd and can come back halfway through the season. And if he's not lucky, his career is over. I'd love to have him back but he chose the wrong time to have a really bad injury. If we sign him, it has to be for something really low that acknowledges the distinct possibility that his career is over.

To me, re-signing Pitts doesn't do anything to improve our line this next season.

utahmark
03-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Does re-signing Pitts solve anything, though? With that microfracture surgery, he's probably lucky if he's PUP'd and can come back halfway through the season. And if he's not lucky, his career is over. I'd love to have him back but he chose the wrong time to have a really bad injury. If we sign him, it has to be for something really low that acknowledges the distinct possibility that his career is over.

To me, re-signing Pitts doesn't do anything to improve our line this next season.

do we have more career ending injuries than anyone or is it just me?

The Pencil Neck
03-16-2010, 03:30 PM

I think everyone gets their share.

When you're a fan of a particular team, you're just more sensitive and knowledgeable about your own team's players and injuries.

Dutchrudder
03-16-2010, 03:59 PM

Well, I wouldn't expect Pitts to start, but he should be a good backup who is familiar with the system and the team. I would expect him to be signed for a 1 year deal that is near vet minimum, but in an uncapped year, who cares if he gets 2 mill? Honestly, this guy played his heart out for years for the Texans, and now they aren't even going to sign him to a 1 year deal so he can prove himself to the league? C'mon, he's worth taking a chance. Worst case scenario, he gets hurt again, gets cut and the team is out a million or two in an uncapped year. It's not like he would prevent them from signing some great guard in free agency.

Dutchrudder
03-16-2010, 04:03 PM

Here is some info on it:

2009 NFL Players on IR (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8158cbb3&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Buffalo by far used the list most, placing such starters as linebacker Kawika Mitchell, tackle Brad Butler, safety Jairus Byrd and guard Eric Wood on IR. The latter two were key rookies for the Bills, who finished 6-10 and released their coaching staff earlier this week.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers had the second-highest number of players on IR with 15, followed by the New Orleans Saints with 14, and five teams with 13: the Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Texans and St. Louis Rams. Obviously, the Saints and Ravens managed to succeed despite the health issues, with New Orleans the top-seeded team in the NFC and Baltimore an AFC wild-card team.

The least-damaged teams were the Minnesota Vikings (1), Dallas Cowboys (2), Arizona Cardinals and New York Jets (4 each). All of those teams made the playoffs.

We tied 4 other teams for 4th most IR players in 2009 (pre-playoffs).

Blake
03-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Oh ok, so the "I think we can...I think we can...I think we can" strategy who would of thought that would solve our answers in the run game, new nickname for our OLine..."The little engine that could."

So true. I dont wanna hear this "its all in our heads" crap. Either you have the power to push the other team, or you dont. If you dont then we need to bring in some hogs that do.

But I get it. He doesnt want to say that his crew cant run the pigskin.

Texan4Ever
03-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Well, I didn't expect him to say up front, "Yeah, we need a new center and guard cause' Myers sucks ass." LOL...that would be friggin LOL funny if he did. :lol:

Its nice to chat with players but its tough to get a good response.

The Pencil Neck
03-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Well, I wouldn't expect Pitts to start, but he should be a good backup who is familiar with the system and the team. I would expect him to be signed for a 1 year deal that is near vet minimum, but in an uncapped year, who cares if he gets 2 mill? Honestly, this guy played his heart out for years for the Texans, and now they aren't even going to sign him to a 1 year deal so he can prove himself to the league? C'mon, he's worth taking a chance. Worst case scenario, he gets hurt again, gets cut and the team is out a million or two in an uncapped year. It's not like he would prevent them from signing some great guard in free agency.

Chester isn't going to be wanting a near vet minimum contract and he's not wanting a 1 year deal. He's wanting a multi-year deal. We've already offered him a 1 year, near vet minimum deal and he wants more.

If we sign him to a multi-year deal, then his deal is probably going to count against the cap when the cap comes back. All the owners and gms are operating under that assumption. You're not seeing a bunch of guys going hog-wild offering crazy contracts because of that. So don't expect management to act very different because of the uncapped year.

badboy
03-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Well, I wouldn't expect Pitts to start, but he should be a good backup who is familiar with the system and the team. I would expect him to be signed for a 1 year deal that is near vet minimum, but in an uncapped year, who cares if he gets 2 mill? Honestly, this guy played his heart out for years for the Texans, and now they aren't even going to sign him to a 1 year deal so he can prove himself to the league? C'mon, he's worth taking a chance. Worst case scenario, he gets hurt again, gets cut and the team is out a million or two in an uncapped year. It's not like he would prevent them from signing some great guard in free agency.We can sign Pitts any time we want so why not give him time to heal to see if he can actually contribute? If he is offered a deal from another team, he can bring that back to McNair to match before he signs.

I really have no problem with the approach Ric Smith has taken with our free agents. It's a business when a player goes elsewhere to get more $ and it is business when management uses CBA or lack of one to get better deal for team.

beerlover
03-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Pitts was already challenged to fit athletically in Gibbs ZBS, coming off his injury he would really be stretched.

badboy
03-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Pitts was already challenged to fit athletically in Gibbs ZBS, coming off his injury he would really be stretched.Agreed but if we draft Mathews a RB that can go between the tackles, Pitts straight ahead push could be just the thing and easier on his knee. Your thoughts?

beerlover
03-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Agreed but if we draft Mathews a RB that can go between the tackles, Pitts straight ahead push could be just the thing and easier on his knee. Your thoughts?

they coveted Wade Smith because he is more athletic & a better fit (ZBS). Pitts might still retain his core strength with good leverage straight ahead but Texans want to improve the running game using redirection & cut-back lanes they achieve this through added quickness (enter Wade Smith).

hadaad
03-18-2010, 10:58 PM
I'd love to have him back but he chose the wrong time to have a really bad injury.

That selfish jerk.

The Pencil Neck
03-18-2010, 11:11 PM
That selfish jerk.

What the heck was he thinking?